PDA

View Full Version : character

pirbroke
08-28-2012, 04:57 PM
I try not to start to many threads but I thought ya'll might like this read.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19941139/canny-texans-quietly-build-their-super-roster-around-character

HOUSTON -- When the Houston Texans assemble all of their college scouts for the first time each December, beginning their first organization-wide foray into heavy draft preparation, chatter in the meeting rooms doesn't start with 40 times or highlight-reel plays.

Instead, general manager Rick Smith is often probing more about the intellect and character of key prospects, listening to his staff dissect key prospects on that regard.

They want tremendous athletes, same as everyone else, but won't overreach for it. They are going to prize decision-making ability on and off the field, and players their beloved owner, Bob McNair, can be proud of. It's an ethos that has served as the backbone of the expansion team's sometimes-agonizing ascent to the NFL elite. It's about identifying good people, giving people space to be themselves, and being imminently willing to reward your own as you develop a young core.

hit link above for full story

michaelm
08-28-2012, 05:02 PM
I can distill this article down to its essence.

The Texans are the anti-Cowboys.

blitz90
08-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Word.

EllisUnit
08-28-2012, 08:11 PM
TBH this is one of the best articles written about the texans i think i have ever read.

And he is right we may have had a rough road getting here but Smith, Kubiak, Mcnair have put this team in position to be successful for many many years to come.

We used to always get mad because they wouldnt open up the wallet during the off season and spends tons on one big name FA, but what do you think now ? Did it really turn out that bad.

I look at every other team in the NFL, and their players are getting arrested, getting DUI's, have court. I mean that just dont happen around here, hell cushing testing positive for roids is the biggest news the team has ever had.

Win or lose i am and will always be proud to be a texans fan !!!!

That said now go win us a M****fing superbowl :)

pirbroke
08-28-2012, 08:51 PM
And then on the same of posting the article I later see this, way too funny.

http://blog.chron.com/fanzone/2012/08/video-texans-rookie-ben-jones-voluntarily-eats-a-roach/

Texan_Bill
08-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Yet wait, weren't they're enough people bashing McNair and the management for not "taking a chance on 'players with issues' and being too 'pristine'?"

Funny how that works out, no?

I'm not saying the Texans have had complete angels, because certainly there have been a few occasions of asshattery. That said, we have really good players with amazing character!

False Start
08-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Our owner has class, and the Girls owner is an ass.

Texan_Bill
08-28-2012, 10:50 PM

OH??!?!? Do you think so doctor?????? :D

michaelm
08-29-2012, 12:22 AM

OH??!?!? Do you think so doctor?????? :D

Do you concur?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5j1wWY-qus

mattieuk
08-29-2012, 01:32 AM
Nice article.

Been saying it pretty much every time 'big name jailbird free agent' comes on the market. I'd rather have a team built with good guys, that may take a while to get there that can sustain it's success than a quickly assembled team of individually talented dillholes who don't deserve to sell the sodas in the stadium.

TheMatrix31
08-30-2012, 04:13 AM
Good. It's the only way to build teams.

No point in winning if the people on the team are pieces of ****. No joy in that.

HJam72
08-30-2012, 07:49 AM
This is all good, but now I'm afraid somebody's gonna get drunk, do something stupid, and embarrass the now-vaunted-sinless Texans.

GlassHalfFull
08-30-2012, 08:19 AM
"Guys that have discipline and make good decisions are typically going to have discipline and make good decisions on the field, too. In the fourth quarter, and the pressure is on need, and we need a big play, the guys that take care of business on and off the field tend to be same guys who have success."

and another favorite part from the article

"The organization from the top down prides itself on being first class," Foster said. "We bring in good people and Kubes is real good with letting you be yourself. You're a grown man, you can walk this life the way you want to walk it, but you have a job. If it gets in the way of your job, you have to check yourself, but as long as you're doing your job, he doesn't care."

Barwin concurs.

"There are definitely characters here, but there's no bad characters," he said. "I would say there's interesting characters here. It's a good group. No bad apples. A lot of different apples, I guess, but we all get along and it works. We've got a bunch of different personalities that play off each other and it kind of jells."

High character, high energy guys are more likely to play above their level, instead of below it. Kudos to the Texans to taking the hard road and hopefully getting it right. :fans: