PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks name Wilson as their starting QB

gg no re
08-26-2012, 10:43 PM
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/610x223-e1346032889833.jpg?w=250
The Russell Wilson Era in Seattle is officially underway.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll announced Sunday night that Wilson will start against the Raiders in the preseason finale and will start again in Week One against the Cardinals. The news was hardly unexpected after Wilson got the start against Kansas City and played like the starting quarterback that the Seahawks have been looking for all summer, but it is still surprising since the third-round pick was seen as the third choice in the competition with Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson.

Flynn got $10 million in guaranteed money as a free agent this offseason and Jackson was the incumbent starter, but Wilson wound up with the job. On a conference call, Carroll said it was because he earned the job with his play and his ability to fix things on the fly.

“This is an extraordinary kid. He just kept knocking us out with what he brought,” Caroll said, via the team. “I’ve watched our team respond to him and they’ve taken to his leadership style.”

Jackson’s trade to the Bills still isn’t official, but Carroll said that the team expects it to go through. Flynn will remain as the No. 2, the same job he held behind Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/26/seahawks-name-russell-wilson-starting-quarterback/

eriadoc
08-27-2012, 12:05 AM
So how many first and second year QBs will be starting week one now? 8? 9?

TheDrifter
08-27-2012, 12:11 AM
So how many first and second year QBs will be starting week one now? 8? 9?

By my count...10.

Tannehill
Luck
Gabbert
Locker
Dalton
Weeden
RG3
Wilson
Newton
Ponder

NastyNate
08-27-2012, 03:40 AM
John Schneider just signed his walking papers for next year.

IDEXAN
08-27-2012, 09:00 AM
By my count...10.

Tannehill
Luck
Gabbert
Locker
Dalton
Weeden
RG3
Wilson
Newton
Ponder
Yea but this kid is a third-round pic and he's starting as a rookie in his teams season opener. The only other QB in that group who isn't a first rounder is Dalton, and he was a very high second-rounder who had a big resume coming out of TCU.
I saw this kid in the Senior Bowl like 6 months ago and he's like < 5'11" and trust me nobody speculated he'd be a starter his first year in the pros. Actually most had him as a career backup - too short you know.
I give Carrol high marks for sticking his neck out after the investment on the FA QB, but we'll see how his judgement plays out here ?

Vinny
08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Russell Wilson is going to be a hell of a player. I'd be excited if I were a Seachicken fan.

Brandon420tx
08-27-2012, 10:15 AM
I like him, if I was in a 2QB league I'd be targeting as my bench QB

The Pencil Neck
08-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Russell Wilson is looking like a steal. He's still got to do it in the regular season but from what I've seen in the pre-season, this kid could be special.

Brandon420tx
08-27-2012, 10:52 AM
It takes some serious Moxie to make the Seahawks look good, other then their spiffy uniforms

jaayteetx
08-27-2012, 10:55 AM
John Schneider just signed his walking papers for next year.

Why? This is a HC decision.

drs23
08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Russell Wilson is going to be a hell of a player. I'd be excited if I were a Seachicken fan.

I'm in this camp as well. I was really impressed when I watched the Hawks PS game. Don't remember who they were playing but Wilson just made play after play and appeared very comfortable. Didn't see any rook jitters, duck-n-run or any of the usual rookie stuff. I think the Hawks may have indeed pulled a caper on draft day.

Granted, it's the PS but sometime you can just tell who's got it and who ain't. I think Russell Wilson has *it*.

That said, yeah, he's too short. :kitten:

brakos82
08-27-2012, 04:59 PM
It takes some serious Moxie to make the Seahawks look good, other then their spiffy uniforms

And he's able to do it despite their.... umm.... "spiffy".... uniforms.

(seriously, they're 10x as ugly in person.)

Vinny
08-27-2012, 05:55 PM
And he's able to do it despite their.... umm.... "spiffy".... uniforms.

I see quite a few people dogging their new uniforms but I think they look pretty good after watching them a whole game.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSls7xm25eirp24Vp2SsZKbGsE0a_ODa ClQudAYze6tY_mOoJyg9Q&t=1
http://media.thenewstribune.com/smedia/2012/04/04/00/25/144pBW.Em.5.jpg

Texecutioner
08-27-2012, 05:59 PM
So much for the hype of Matt Flynn. I never understood all of that hype that Flynn got last season all because of hi putting up a ton of points against a terrible Lions defense.

GP
08-27-2012, 06:32 PM
He looks like Donovan McNabb out there. Not real fast, but makes quick cuts and navigates through traffic well.

Fans crown guys too early. Let's see him in a few full-length reg season games.

brakos82
08-27-2012, 11:07 PM
I see quite a few people dogging their new uniforms but I think they look pretty good after watching them a whole game.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSls7xm25eirp24Vp2SsZKbGsE0a_ODa ClQudAYze6tY_mOoJyg9Q&t=1
http://media.thenewstribune.com/smedia/2012/04/04/00/25/144pBW.Em.5.jpg

Fine, you can sit on the train surrounded by them. :kitten:

gg no re
08-27-2012, 11:14 PM
I still forget that the Seahawks have a new logo to go with their unis.

Vinny
08-27-2012, 11:25 PM
So much for the hype of Matt Flynn. I never understood all of that hype that Flynn got last season all because of hi putting up a ton of points against a terrible Lions defense.
Every few years you get a QB hungry team to reach for a one game wonder like Scott Johnson or Kevin Kolb. Teams without a marquee QB will take chances that they won't at other positions when it comes to QB's. Let's welcome Matt Flynn to the club.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRs3esFDW1uIfpjMoNqGKCovukNqXVE2 Q-cJdiCJdUJ4m61tgqxhQ

mattieuk
08-27-2012, 11:45 PM

Can vouch for that! Went into the local supermarket in Washington State recently, and boy are the gross looking in the flesh.

brakos82
08-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Can vouch for that! Went into the local supermarket in Washington State recently, and boy are the gross looking in the flesh.

Hey, next time you're down here I'm dragging your butt to Rookie's, Texans gameday or not. :kitten:

Fili
08-28-2012, 06:16 AM
By my count...10.

Tannehill
Luck
Gabbert
Locker
Dalton
Weeden
RG3
Wilson
Newton
Ponder

Three of those men are in our division...

Playoffs
08-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Gruden's QB Camp- Russell Wilson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmH3JhGeIU0

76Texan
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
I was among the very few who rated Wilson very highly during the off-season.

He and Keenum were the two QBs that performed the best under pressure (and both of them got a lot of pressure - the type between 1-1/2 to 3 secs).

If not for being a homer, I would have put Wilson ahead of Keenum.
Wilson played in a WCO at NC St. and in a multiple offense at Wisconsin (a mix of pro/WCO).
He's a great fit for Pete Carroll's offense.

If Wilson was blessed with the physical size somewhere between RG III and Luck, he would have been the one everbody talks about.

thunderkyss
08-30-2012, 04:07 PM
I also only know what we've seen in the preseason, but I did like what I saw & the decision made to start I'm. Normally my position is to sit a young QB if you've got decent options & the Seahawks do have decentooptions. But if the team gravitated towards the kid & it looks like the game isn't too big for him, I'm all for it.

The problem though is you get yourself in trouble if the regular season doesn't play out like you imagined. Benching the kid & Flynn coming in to perform just as badly then what are you going to do?

Carrol has to feel really good (better than most projections) about his team to do this. They've got a nice defense but a suspect running game. It's going to be interesting to watch how it all unfolds.

El Tejano
08-31-2012, 11:58 AM
He was on my draft wish list and alot of people told me he was too small to play QB in the NFL.