PDA

View Full Version : SDC Op-Ed: The Refs Are Just Fkn AWFUL

eriadoc
08-26-2012, 07:54 PM
OK, so I changed the title to be a bit more accurate. The cool thing about the piece is that it includes video. The regular refs made plenty of bad calls, but they were usually of the judgment call variety. These replacement refs simply don't know the very rules they're supposed to be upholding. They're making procedure call errors and committing basic rules violations.

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/replacement-officials-continue-mockery-nfl-114253266--nfl.html)

As much as we can figure, Bears cornerback Charles Tillman ended the first quarter with a defensive pass interference penalty. NFL rules stipulate that a game or a half cannot end on a defensive penalty, unless the penalty is declined by the offense. The refs, led by referee David White, seemed to understand that much. What they failed to understand was that the first quarter is not tied to the same rules. And because they did not realize that, the Giants got an extra untimed play at the end of the first quarter. On a play that started at 0:00 of the first quarter according to the official gamebook, Eli Manning threw a nine-yard pass to Domenik Hixon.

"For the second time in this game, we've come to the end of the first quarter," announcer Greg Gumbel quipped.

With 12:27 left in the first half, Vikings running back Lex Hilliard lost control of the ball while still fully upright after a tackle by Chargers safety Eric Weddle. Nonetheless, Wayne Elliot's crew called Hilliard down by contact, and Chargers head coach Norv Turner had to throw the challenge flag. After a very long time indeed, the officials saw fit to reverse their decision.

biggridironbear
08-29-2012, 03:32 AM
Yeah, their FukN up all over the place.

cuppacoffee
08-29-2012, 05:34 PM
So we are now supporting a union?:kitten:

:coffee:

eriadoc
08-29-2012, 05:42 PM
So we are now supporting a union?:kitten:

Hell no. If there wasn't a union involved in this idiocy in the first place, we'd have refs that know their **** working games. Instead, they all get locked out together.

CloakNNNdagger
08-29-2012, 06:20 PM
The NFL has said that replacement officials will be used for Week One of the regular season, and the locked-out officials have said that it’s not their fault that the two sides aren’t talking.

“It now appears the NFL is willing to forego any attempt to reach a deal in the last seven days before opening night,” the NFL Referees Association said in a statement issued this afternoon. The NFLRA also accused the NFL of continuing to assume a “take it or leave it” posture.

“It is unfortunate because the Referees want to get back on the field,” the NFLRA said. “Our members have been engaged in extensive preparations and are ready to go. If the NFL is serious about negotiating, we are ready, but we can’t negotiate with ourselves.”link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/29/locked-out-officials-say-they-are-ready-to-negotiate/)

cuppacoffee
08-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Hell no. If there wasn't a union involved in this idiocy in the first place, we'd have refs that know their **** working games. Instead, they all get locked out together.

That is one of the functions of a union. Training up their members.

I am sure they would be receiving a substantial salary from the NFL if it wasn't for the unionization. :sarcasm:

I suppose you are in favor of the players abandoning their union.

I am sure the NFL would also take good care of them too. More :sarcasm:

You do realize that the NFL owners belong to the strongest union in the world, except maybe for the AMA.

HJam72
08-30-2012, 12:58 AM
I think they should lock-out the new refs. :)

eriadoc
08-30-2012, 10:35 AM
That is one of the functions of a union. Training up their members.

I am sure they would be receiving a substantial salary from the NFL if it wasn't for the unionization. :sarcasm:

I suppose you are in favor of the players abandoning their union.

I am sure the NFL would also take good care of them too. More :sarcasm:

You do realize that the NFL owners belong to the strongest union in the world, except maybe for the AMA.

This is all garbage, but this isn't the NSZ, so I'll decline advancing the discussion.

Back on topic: the replacement refs will be wrecking games from Day One.

cuppacoffee
08-30-2012, 12:02 PM
This is all garbage, but this isn't the NSZ, so I'll decline advancing the discussion.

I reluctantly accept your declining. :D

Goatcheese
08-31-2012, 12:36 PM
It's being a little overblown. You can watch almost any Texans game over the last few years and see a half dozen calls that the refs just got flat out wrong. That is with crew chiefs who have been doing this for a decade or more. People don't call them on it because they're not putting them under the same level of scrutiny that the replacements are under.

It's a little unreasonable to expect for rookies to come in and play as well as 20 year vets. They're going to get better as they gain more experience and learn form their mistakes.

eriadoc
08-31-2012, 04:42 PM
It's being a little overblown. You can watch almost any Texans game over the last few years and see a half dozen calls that the refs just got flat out wrong. That is with crew chiefs who have been doing this for a decade or more. People don't call them on it because they're not putting them under the same level of scrutiny that the replacements are under.

It's a little unreasonable to expect for rookies to come in and play as well as 20 year vets. They're going to get better as they gain more experience and learn form their mistakes.

This is the sort of justification that overlooks the actual problem and thus allows it to be perpetuated. The regular refs made all sorts of bad calls with regard to judgment. In bounds/out, fumble/down, pass interference, holding, facemask, helmet to helmet, excessive celebration, etc. are all rules subject to the refs' judgment. Basic procedure rules weren't being broken. Maaaaayybe once in a blue moon you'd have a total ref meltdown with regard to the rules (Hochuli in the Denver game a few years back), but most of the time, they got the procedure calls right and people complained about the rules (tuck rule, for example). They didn't let the half end on a defensive penalty. They didn't throw flags for illegal forward pass on running plays. Both of those things have happened this preseason, just as an example, and those are in no way judgment calls. All refs are going to screw up judgment calls. I've railed in the past about refs screwing up those types of calls, but I understand them. I want the NFL to remove subjectivity at every level that they can, but there will always be judgment calls.

Screwing up basic rules is amateur hour. Moreover, as it relates to the NFL, they are charging customers for a subpar product. As you said above, you just can't expect rookies to play as well as vets. So if the Texans came out next year with a team comprised entirely of rookies, waiver wire scrubs, and retreads, but then raised prices, don't you think you'd be a little miffed? Well, people pay full price for preseason, so I guess not. Carry on ....

GlassHalfFull
08-31-2012, 04:46 PM
I decided while watching the game last night that this is a preemptive move by the NFL to make us quit complaining about the regular refs.

After a couple of games, they will reinstate the normal refs, and we will be so grateful that no more complaints will ensue.

Brilliant.

There may have been a bottle of champagne involved in my thought processes. :glasshalffull:

infantrycak
08-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Screwing up basic rules is amateur hour. Moreover, as it relates to the NFL, they are charging customers for a subpar product. As you said above, you just can't expect rookies to play as well as vets. So if the Texans came out next year with a team comprised entirely of rookies, waiver wire scrubs, and retreads, but then raised prices, don't you think you'd be a little miffed? Well, people pay full price for preseason, so I guess not. Carry on ....

I see Goatcheese's point and think you are being a bit harsh. You're basically saying the NFL has to give into whatever the refs want or they are screwing the fans. There are times in any business when employees have to be replaced and performance goes down. Your oil change place gets a new guy and he is 10 minutes slower. They aren't giving you a discount for it. Is it annoying yes but the new guy will grow out of it.

You list two clear rules examples and yes they were bad but c'mon other leagues don't have the same rules. In watching the pre-season I haven't seen anything which devalued the game until it got to the Texans v. Vikings. That was a joke and ironically enough not because of bad calls which brings me to my last point. The refs in our game were terrified. The stage, the noise was far beyond anything they had experienced. They were paralyzed with wanting to get it right.

I want to see the regular refs back but I like the NFL's proposal for three more crews for this reason - to bust up the old crews and introduce some new blood. Some of these guys like Hochuli have come to think they own the game.

Double Barrel
08-31-2012, 05:58 PM
I think the NFL's desires will ultimately make the referees better. Their full time job for 12 months will be referees for the NFL under the new proposal. And the NFL will be able to hold individual refs accountable by easily replacing them when warranted.

disaacks3
08-31-2012, 06:59 PM

It's a little unreasonable to expect for rookies to come in and play as well as 20 year vets. They're going to get better as they gain more experience and learn from their mistakes. But the NFL head office is trying to tell me that they're just as good as those 20-yr vets and it plain isn't true. Last night's game here was an example of a game that got completely "locked up" because the zebras had no idea what in the hell they were doing. i've rarely seen opposing fans yell at the refs for the same play (and the same reason) I am...that changed with these jokers.

Monkey ******* a football comes to mind.

eriadoc
08-31-2012, 09:39 PM
You're basically saying the NFL has to give into whatever the refs want or they are screwing the fans.

No, I'm really not. But I get the impression that the NFL is not really making an effort to meet the refs halfway. If the refs were making unreasonable demands, then I'd expect the NFL to replace them with competent refs. As it stands, I expect the NFL to actually compromise instead of this hard line lock out BS.

But the NFL head office is trying to tell me that they're just as good as those 20-yr vets and it plain isn't true.

That's more or less the point of the last bit from my prior post.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Unbelievable!!!!!! How can the NFL do this with a straight face?

Replacement ref making the jump from six-man football to the NFL

One of the NFL’s replacement officials isn’t just adjusting to calling games involving bigger, stronger and faster players. He’s also adjusting to a game with 22 players on the field, instead of 12.

Wayne Bernier has spent the last four weeks alternating between refereeing six-man football games at small Texas high schools and then working preseason games in the NFL. Bernier told the Amarillo Globe-News that it’s not as big a difference as you might think.

You've got to read the rest. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/03/replacement-ref-making-the-jump-from-six-man-football-to-the-nfl/)

BullBlitz
09-03-2012, 10:37 PM

I hope that you prove to be correct. I am looking forward to some game-deciding blown calls. It will speed up the process of getting the experienced refs back.

Luv_ya_blue
09-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I've been a multi-sport HS official for almost 10 yrs now, and I've gotta say that there have been some pretty bush-league calls, not to mention the stuff that's missed.

And as far as the guy that's also calling HS ballgames (yeah I know it's 6-man), it hAppens week in and week out. A large % of pro officials are also HS officials; so don't be terribly shocked by that.

The main difference (IMO) is simply the pace of the game. You've gotta have confidence in yourself to make the call, and if you don't--then you question whether or not you really saw what you did. And at the NFL level, or even college--the pause is more noticeable. The game is ridiculously fast and people really don't see it. Having taken part in some college officiating I can say that the pace is so much faster there; I couldn't imagine the speed at the NFL level.

As for the discussion of refs screwing up...
Well, just get over it guys. Like it or not it IS part of the game. But even I will admit that some of the crews and crew chiefs as well, have really looked terrible. But from my vantage, it's to be expected--and I really don't see it as bad as you guys do.

:twocents:

pirbroke
09-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Unbelievable!!!!!! How can the NFL do this with a straight face?

Replacement ref making the jump from six-man football to the NFL

You've got to read the rest. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/03/replacement-ref-making-the-jump-from-six-man-football-to-the-nfl/)

Nice find, thanks. I was wondering about where these guys came from. 6 man teams and lingerie players, even tho she seemed better than most just saying. They definitely were not the best college refs moving up a step. The NFL screwed themselves by basically hiring the bum off the street, giving the striking refs more bargaining power.

disaacks3
09-03-2012, 11:43 PM
I hope that you prove to be correct. I am looking forward to some game-deciding blown calls. It will speed up the process of getting the experienced refs back. That came up more than once in discussions with my parents & in-laws. They figure the odds are VERY likely we'll have at least one of these first 16 games decided on a massively blown call(s)