PDA

View Full Version : Cuts made

JCTexan
08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
The Houston Texans have released WR Bryant Johnson, G Kasey Studdard, LB Omar Gaither, P Brett Hartmann and RB Davin Meggett.

TimeKiller
08-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Studdard should try out as a NT.

PapaL
08-26-2012, 05:49 PM
What does that put us at in terms of roster size?

Thorn
08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Well, there goes the theory that Hartman will be coming back to do the kick offs. Guess we are stuck with short kick offs for the season if someone picks him up.

JCTexan
08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I was thinking Meggett would be safe from this wave of cuts. I was expecting him to carry some of the workload for the final preseason game.

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Gaither played well on special teams. He in Megget were just caught in a numbers game. They should both go to the UFL and get some playing experience. Both should be in someone's camp again next year.

TexanCR
Hartmann gone? I guess Graham will handle the punts now...wondering if we can resign Hartmann from the street once he is healthy?

mariowillshine15
I was thinking Meggett would be safe from this wave of cuts. I was expecting him to carry some of the workload for the final preseason game.

My guess is they all go to Grimes to see if he's worth a spot on the 53.

PapaL
08-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Well, there goes the theory that Hartman will be coming back to do the kick offs. Guess we are stuck with short kick offs for the season if someone picks him up.

I don't think anyone else is in a rush to pick up a P serving a suspension and coming off an injury. He might still be our guy...or maybe not.

honored82
6th Rounder Mondek also got cut. Another draft bust. So we had 89 and now we down to 75. Anyone has the complete list of 14 players

Texn4life

This doesn't mean Hartman won't come back. Just doesn't make sense to keep him on the roster. Then we'd have to guarantee his salary.

TexanExile
08-26-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm sure Hartmann is a safe cut for now due to the suspension. Nobody would pick up an injured AND suspended punter from the wire.

rmartin65
08-26-2012, 05:56 PM
As much as I liked Meggett during the draft process, I am not too surprised to see him cut. He must not have done at well at practice as Grimes did, because he sure didn't see a lot of playing time during the pre-season. I expect him to land on the PS though. He has talent.

Hartmann is a bit of a surprise, but again, not terribly so. He is suspended for the first 3 games of the season, and Jones is a heck of a punter.

Gaither, Johnson, and Studdard are not surprises.

Mondek is not either, but it is too early to declare him a draft bust. I fully expect him to score a gig on the PS as well. Athleticism at his size is hard to teach.

kingh99
08-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Glad to see Kubiak's growth and transformation to the Gordon Gecko phase of power wielding. He's cutting (ir-ing) guys who have personal ties. Godfather phase awaits. Recently demoted Capo Wade Adams quietly watches.

610 hitting on all the insecurities precisely. TJ exposed but also acknowledging the team around him was weak as hell. Right side starting O-line struggling. Holliday saved by Martin fumbling twice.

wolf123
08-26-2012, 05:59 PM
6th Rounder Mondek also got cut. Another draft bust. So we had 89 and now we down to 75. Anyone has the complete list of 14 players

Yes, because we've done so terribly in the draft...:vincepalm:

TexansBull
08-26-2012, 06:04 PM
The guys on 610 are terrible. They reported that Bret Hartman was using steriods.

And I thought we got an extra roster space for Hartman because of the suspension. It seems weird that if that is the case why we would cut him. But it is only a kicker...

honored82
08-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Yes, because we've done so terribly in the draft...:vincepalm:

Exactly! Posey, bullock, mondek..... 3 yrs down the road they will be unknown.

JCTexan
08-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Ok... I found those five cuts on rotoworld. I have found the rest for the day on the official board.

C Thomas Austin, ILB Omar Gaither, P Brett Hartmann, WR Bryant Johnson, WR Mario Louis, RB Davin Meggett, T Nick Mondek, DE Jimmy Saddler-McQueen, FB Derrell Smith, G Kasey Studdard, CB Torri Williams

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Kasey Studdard - Bye Bye.

Called that one .... :kitten:

Am surprised they cut Brett Hartmann .... but Jones has been really good holding PAT's and FG's .... Seen at least two bad snaps that he handled.

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Forsett and Grimes are going to see a ton of work Thursday.

honored82
08-26-2012, 06:08 PM
The guys on 610 are terrible. They reported that Bret Hartman was using steriods.

And I thought we got an extra roster space for Hartman because of the suspension. It seems weird that if that is the case why we would cut him. But it is only a kicker...

We would have to pay him for the entire season if he is on the roster on Week 1 plus he would waste a spot for 3 weeks, as he's suspended, and nobody would pick him anyways, as he is injured and suspended right now.

We can always sign him cheap in Week 4.

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Forsett and Grimes are going to see a ton of work Thursday.

I have a feeling they both make the final roster .... Grimes has been damn good on ST coverage.

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 06:11 PM
I have a feeling they both make the final roster .... Grimes has been damn good on ST coverage.

We carried 4 to start the season last year. I could see that happening.

rmartin65
08-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Grimes has been damn good on ST coverage.

I dont know if both make the roster, but this is the truth! Grimes has been a beast this pre-season. He really surprised me, I thought that Meggett would be the guy on the roster, and Grimes would land on the PS. I think I got it backwards...

wolf123
08-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Exactly! Posey, bullock, mondek..... 3 yrs down the road they will be unknown.

I hope your just trolling...:smiliepalm::smiliepalm:

utahmark
08-26-2012, 06:32 PM

I don't think bust is the right word. The days of 6th and 7th rounders having a high percentage chance of making this team thier first year is over.

Carr Bombed
08-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Can a 6th round pick even be considered a bust regardless if he washes out or not? It's the 6th round.. those picks are basically just fliers and it's not uncommon for a team to cut a low draft pick. He'll probably end up on the practice squad anyways.

Also I don't know how the hell anybody could label Bullock or Posey a bust already. Bullock is stashed on IR and is still in the team's future plans as is Posey who everyone already knew was going to be brought along slowly.

False Start
08-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Called that one .... :kitten:

:cookie: ;)

I think Hartman will be around to be picked by the Texans once his suspension is over. I had hope for Mondek, that just sounds like a BAMF lineman's name. :littlelol:

Brandon420tx
08-26-2012, 06:53 PM
I think the converted LB to FB player (don't remember name) will end up on the PS this season

NitroGSXR
08-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Wouldn't Hartmann have to serve his suspension once signed by somebody? Him being cut doesn't excuse him from serving it or am I confused?

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Wouldn't Hartmann have to serve his suspension once signed by somebody? Him being cut doesn't excuse him from serving it or am I confused?

Well when Hargrove was released by the Packers last week they said that his suspension would start week 1 even if he wasn't picked up before then. I'm assuming it would be the same situation with Hartmann.

eriadoc
08-26-2012, 07:07 PM

A 6th round pick is a crapshoot, no matter what anyone tells you. I'd much rather the team recognize the failure and make the cut right away than drag it out a few years, possibly costing some actual contributors a spot on the team.

A third rounder, on the other hand ....

ArlingtonTexan
08-26-2012, 07:09 PM

It is an NFL suspension, not a texans suspension so he will have to serve it at whatever point he is on an active roster.

Texan_Bill
08-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Casey Studdard cut??? Shocking!!! As if we didn't all know he was simply a "camp body", right???

NitroGSXR
08-26-2012, 07:14 PM
It is an NFL suspension, not a texans suspension so he will have to serve it at whatever point he is on an active roster.

That's what I thought. Sad to hear because I'm a Hartmann fan. This likely means he will not return to the Texans.

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 07:15 PM

From NFL.com

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello also told NFL.com and NFL Network that Hargrove's eight-game suspension will start in Week 1 of the 2012 regular season, regardless if he's with a team or not at that time.

http://www.nfl.com/news/article/anthony-hargrove-released-by-green-bay-packers (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054088/article/anthony-hargrove-released-by-green-bay-packers)

Situations should be the same right?

False Start
08-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Casey Studdard cut??? Shocking!!! As if we didn't all know he was simply a "camp body", right???

More like a "camp tackling dummy", dude sure did...never mind I was trying to think of something positive to say. :littlelol:

Texan_Bill
08-26-2012, 07:18 PM
More like a "camp tackling dummy", dude sure did...never mind I was trying to think of something positive to say. :littlelol:

:spit: Stop it!! Just stop it!!!

Dutchrudder
08-26-2012, 07:52 PM
I expect them to put Mondek on the practice squad. None of these cuts are a surprise though, I doubt any of them will be on another team's 53 in week 1.

eriadoc
08-26-2012, 07:57 PM

Is that what they call that body type? Hell, give me a few more years of the good life and I may just develop a camp body. The older I get, the harder it is to avoid.

ArlingtonTexan
08-26-2012, 08:15 PM
From NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/article/anthony-hargrove-released-by-green-bay-packers (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054088/article/anthony-hargrove-released-by-green-bay-packers)

Situations should be the same right?

Fair enough I missed that quote.

False Start
08-26-2012, 08:22 PM
:spit: Stop it!! Just stop it!!!

I am currently being helped my my friend Mary Dro-cephus Jane.

Rey
08-26-2012, 08:59 PM
I want to see grimes on the roster and Forsett cut.

It's not that I don't like Forsett. I think he's a serviceable third rb. But I think grimes has potential to be more than that. I think he already the better player anyways.

But kubiak has to decide if he wants to rely on that much youth.

eriadoc
08-26-2012, 09:18 PM

It's not that I don't like Forsett. I think he's a serviceable third rb. But I think grimes has potential to be more than that. I think he already the better player anyways.

I agree. It's a tough call, but Forsett doesn't offer the between-the-tackles ability that Grimes does. I like Forsett in the open field better. If I can only pick one, I take Grimes.

beerlover
08-26-2012, 09:35 PM

What about Grimes @ FB? Little undersized but his blocking looks solid. Remember Peyton Hillis was 3rd string on Arkansas depth chart but you could see his talent, one cut downhill runner with power. Maybe you see a little of the same in Grimes. I agree, Texans need to keep him but also Forsett as well. His experience will prove invaluable plus I think he can really help this offense gel & he won't turn the ball over is a willing blocker & very affordable.

GP
08-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Grimes looks way better running the ball than Forsett.

We should have all four RBs on the 53, IMO. One guy gets dinged, be it Foster or Tate, and you'll need that 4th guy really badly.

Grimes is really good.

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 09:46 PM

I could see him keeping both Grimes and Forsett .... Likely means they go one short at another position - QB , OLB and CB are likely spots.
Carmichael played his way out of a spot , Keenum could stay on the PS and Nading could just run out of roster spots.

Forsett looked real good in the touches he got against the Aints.

Grimes reminds me of a hybrid of Foster and Tate .... Glides thru holes like Foster but hammers guy's like Tate. Just isnt as shifty as Foster. I like the way he covers up the ball in traffic too .... both hands.
He has also made numerous plays on kickoff and punt coverage ....

The kid has some real good qualities , might be another UDFA gem by Smith.

badboy
08-26-2012, 10:55 PM

But kubiak has to decide if he wants to rely on that much youth.Not sure how age in a 3rd back is that important to Kubiak.

The Pencil Neck
08-26-2012, 11:26 PM
I could see him keeping both Grimes and Forsett .... Likely means they go one short at another position - QB , OLB and CB are likely spots.

That's where I'm at with it. I think they both make the team although I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them cut.

painekiller
08-27-2012, 12:25 AM
We would have to pay him for the entire season if he is on the roster on Week 1 plus he would waste a spot for 3 weeks, as he's suspended, and nobody would pick him anyways, as he is injured and suspended right now.

We can always sign him cheap in Week 4.

Nevermind

Brandon420tx
08-27-2012, 06:29 AM
We should have all four RBs on the 53, IMO. One guy gets dinged, be it Foster or Tate, and you'll need that 4th guy really badly.

I still think we take 4 RBs and keep 1 inactive, after thinking it over I can see Forsett being the inactive one because of Grimes ability to contribute to special teams.

Rey
08-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Not sure how age in a 3rd back is that important to Kubiak.

Even though Arian is the starter, stuff happens. You could easily have an injury or two there and kubiak is then forced to rely on more youth.

You seriously can't see how the third rb on a football team can all of a sudden become your 2nd or 1st rb?

SheTexan
08-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Ball needs to be on that list. BUT, I guess they might be waiting to see what he can do against the Vikes on Thurs.

The Pencil Neck
08-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I made a spot on my version of the roster for both Forsett and Grimes. I think Grimes has shown a lot of desire and talent and I think Forsett gives us a #3 alternative with different skills and abilities.

I don't know if it's going to work out that way. Keeping Grimes means you have to make a hard decision on another position. But I think Grimes's special team abilities get him onto the squad.

Speedy
08-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Ball needs to be on that list. BUT, I guess they might be waiting to see what he can do against the Vikes on Thurs.

They still need bodies to play in that game since the starters won't be. Kubiak mentioned as much sometime last week.

badboy
08-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Even though Arian is the starter, stuff happens. You could easily have an injury or two there and kubiak is then forced to rely on more youth.

You seriously can't see how the third rb on a football team can all of a sudden become your 2nd or 1st rb?Surely, you remember a 3rd string QB (Yates) that had to start last season? Same scenario. Youth or vet you keep the player you think is best for team. Also, youth is not as much a factor for a RB.

Brandon420tx
08-27-2012, 10:41 AM
I made a spot on my version of the roster for both Forsett and Grimes. I think Grimes has shown a lot of desire and talent and I think Forsett gives us a #3 alternative with different skills and abilities.

I don't know if it's going to work out that way. Keeping Grimes means you have to make a hard decision on another position. But I think Grimes's special team abilities get him onto the squad.

The more I think about it the more I see Grimes being the #3 HB on gameday so coach Joe can use him on special teams, and Forsett being the gameday inactive who will leapfrog into the #2 spot should Tate or Foster get injured.

Rey
08-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Surely, you remember a 3rd string QB (Yates) that had to start last season? Same scenario. Youth or vet you keep the player you think is best for team. Also, youth is not as much a factor for a RB.

You are making arguments against the wrong guy as I have been saying Grimes should make the team since before training camp.

My point with the youth thing is that Kubiak may not want that much youth collectively contributing. Doesn't matter that a RB can contribute faster at a young age than some other positions. It's still a collective thing.

You have AJ, and Schaub who aren't exactly the most healthy guys...

You could easily have a scenario where you have Martin, Jean, Yates and Grimes getting regular or significant playing time.

Instead of going with that much youth, Kubiak may want a vet like Forsett that has been around the game for a few years.

Rey
08-27-2012, 10:49 AM
The more I think about it the more I see Grimes being the #3 HB on gameday so coach Joe can use him on special teams, and Forsett being the gameday inactive who will leapfrog into the #2 spot should Tate or Foster get injured.

I'd rather just cut Forsett because I think Grimes is the better RB anyways. I don't know if Kubiak wants to trust the young guy, but I like Grimes better than Forsett.

ObsiWan
08-27-2012, 05:13 PM
I don't think bust is the right word. The days of 6th and 7th rounders having a high percentage chance of making this team thier first year is over.

:handshake:
Precisely! Any late rounders or UDFAs we hit on, given the 1st and 2nd team talent we now have compared to the Casserly days, are pure gravy.

ObsiWan
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I still think we take 4 RBs and keep 1 inactive, after thinking it over I can see Forsett being the inactive one because of Grimes ability to contribute to special teams.

Agreed. I think Coach Joe keeps Grimes active on game day.

LikeMike
08-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I think weŽll have to go with 3 HBs... Holliday seems to be getting a roster spot - and we probably should go 6 deep on WR (with AJs injury history and Posey probably not contributing much in the first year). Just no spot for a 4th HB. Grimes should get the spot as a young, promising, cheap player.

ArlingtonTexan
08-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I have liked what Grimes has flashed, but totally have missed his clearly ourplaying Forsett and proven to be better. IMO, forsett starts the year as the third RB and Grimes on the practice squad.

pec0sb0b
08-27-2012, 07:31 PM
So who's gonna be the third tight end on the roster? I know they play three tight end sets occasionally.

pec0sb0b
08-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Or will Casey be the third tight end, sort of?

Corrosion
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
So who's gonna be the third tight end on the roster? I know they play three tight end sets occasionally.

Casey will be FB1 and TE3.

That gives them a lot of options at other positions - keep a 3rd QB , 4th RB or an extra body at ILB or DB ....

The Pencil Neck
08-27-2012, 08:06 PM

They used to play 4 TE sets at times. I think we'll go with OD, Graham, and Casey. And if we need a fourth, we'll probably move KW there.

drs23
08-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Casey will be FB1 and TE3.

That gives them a lot of options at other positions - keep a 3rd QB , 4th RB or an extra body at ILB or DB ....

Agree that Kubiak named Casey for FB1 [URL="Friday Facebook Mailbag: June 8 Video Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 … status on Cushing spend ages needs second question. On the Texans looking ..... battles nobody is talking about the tight end position. Gary Graham and ..... gone on record saying it James Casey would be second tight end and and to tight ends and so …"]but he's on record here naming him as TE2. (Grammar & typos courtesy of HT.com :) )

I guess that's all pretty fluid during camp and G. Graham has proven to be more than adequate at receiving but folks are concerned about his lack of blocking skills.

Right now the depth chart is:

TE Owen Daniels Garrett Graham Logan Brock Phillip Supernaw

OD, GG & Brock are pretty easy to figure out as 1, 2 & 3 but Phillip Supernaw is "Other". Guess we don't have a 4th string. :D

speedfreek
08-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I love the name Supernaw.

Kind of reminds me of what my 105 lb. border collie mix does to his rawhide bone.

Would be even cooler if it was SuperHELLnaw..

Now THAT would be somethin'

TJ

Texn4life
08-27-2012, 08:39 PM
They used to play 4 TE sets at times. I think we'll go with OD, Graham, and Casey. And if we need a fourth, we'll probably move KW there.

Newton played some TE too last year in goalline packages so depending on the situation Brooks or Butler can fill in there.