PDA

View Full Version : Boomer Esiason "Schaub Reminds Me of Me"

TexansBull
08-21-2012, 11:38 PM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/17/esiason-schaub-reminds-me-of-me/#comments

Didn't see this posted. No transcript. Only MP3. Starts at 5:35 mark.

He is really comparing the good team he was on compared to the great team Matt is on.

EllisUnit
08-22-2012, 07:56 AM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/17/esiason-schaub-reminds-me-of-me/#comments

Didn't see this posted. No transcript. Only MP3. Starts at 5:35 mark.

He is really comparing the good team he was on compared to the great team Matt is on.

:toropalm: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Seņor Stan
08-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Can't listen to the audio but...Boomer was as good a play action QB as I can remember.

GP
08-22-2012, 08:36 AM
:toropalm: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

LOL. I know, right?

Thorn
08-22-2012, 08:40 AM
nevermind.

Double Barrel
08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
I recall Boomer being a pretty solid QB back in the day. We saw him at least twice a year since the Oilers were in the same division.

From his wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomer_Esiason):

At his retirement in 1997 he was among the most prolific quarterbacks in NFL history, finishing in the top 10 in many statistical categories.

He also led the Bengals to a Super Bowl, losing a close game to Joe Montana in the last drive of the game.

I do not see this comparison as being a bad thing.

Texn4life
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
He did lead the Bengals to a Super Bowl and it took an epic drive by Joe Montana to beat him. I'd be pretty happy getting that type of result from Schaub.

silvrhand
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Wonder why all the hate on Boomer Esiason?? He was above average for his day in the NFL..

http://www.nfl.com/player/boomeresiason/2500562/profile

Texn4life
08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
I recall Boomer being a pretty solid QB back in the day. We saw him at least twice a year since the Oilers were in the same division.

He also led the Bengals to a Super Bowl, losing a close game to Joe Montana in the last drive of the game.

Saw this comment after I posted mine, but I agree with you here obviously.

HJam72
08-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Boomer was good; he just wasn't Joe Montana.

eriadoc
08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Boomer was good; he just wasn't Joe Montana.

Well, Schaub might be good, but he's not Tom Brady.

Thorn
08-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Wonder why all the hate on Boomer Esiason?? He was above average for his day in the NFL..

http://www.nfl.com/player/boomeresiason/2500562/profile

He was a good QB. I was thinking more along the lines of him being so horrid as a TV game commentator. But, after listening to Schaub for these past years, he'd be 10 times worse to listen to than Boomer.

Meh. Ignore my post. LOL

HJam72
08-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Well, Schaub might be good, but he's not Tom Brady.

I almost said that. :)

Bulls on Parade
08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Schaub reminds me more of an aging Troy Aikman. Deadly accuracy and he has his version of Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith and Jay Novacek. Not to mention our defense is now better than the Cowboys best defense. I think Johnathan Joseph is pretty darn close to being a shutdown corner like Deion was. Mind you, he played with a bad toe just about every year in Dallas.

The1ApplePie
08-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Schaub reminds me more of an aging Troy Aikman. Deadly accuracy and he has his version of Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith and Jay Novacek. Not to mention our defense is now better than the Cowboys best defense. I think Johnathan Joseph is pretty darn close to being a shutdown corner like Deion was. Mind you, he played with a bad toe just about every year in Dallas.

The homer is strong with this one

Texecutioner
08-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Some of you post stuff here as if you guys don't have a clue about the Bengals from those years. The Bengals were damn good for a season or two, and Boomer was a damn good QB for a while. Hell, the year that they had Icky Woods running like crazy they were a Joe Montana come back drive away from being SB champs against one of the best teams of all time.

This comparison is a huge compliment to the Texans, and the Texans haven't even been past the 2nd round before and have only made one post season in general. I'll gladly enjoy a comparison like this any day of the week.

Texecutioner
08-22-2012, 06:37 PM

The Texans should have a damn good defense again, but to suggest that they are for sure better than the Cowboys defense of that era is pretty ridiculous after just one season. Schaub is a top 10 type of QB, but Aikman was a HOF guy. Holler at me when Schaub is even considered elite, much less a HOF guy. And you really take the cake by trying to act like Joseph was as good as Deion. I can't stand Deion, but you're trying to compare Joseph what the majority of knowledgeable football fans consider to be the best CB of all time. Give Joseph some time to have several years of being elite before comparing him to the best CB that ever played. Not even fair to Joseph. This pretty much smacks of homerism.

DBCooper
08-22-2012, 06:37 PM
The homer is strong with this one

lol

Thorn
08-22-2012, 06:42 PM
The Texans should have a damn good defense again, but to suggest that they are for sure better than the Cowboys defense of that era is pretty ridiculous after just one season.

The Texans have had one good year in ten. One. But, they are built to last for a few more years at a high level of play.

The1ApplePie
08-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Due to his injury history and getting bailed out by the best WR in the game, I usually call Matt the white Daunte Culpepper.

I honestly think he may be closer to Jeff Garcia in his early 49ers days. Good, solid QB with an excellent RB and the best WR in football. Same mobility and arm strength as well.

The1ApplePie
08-22-2012, 06:49 PM
The Texans should have a damn good defense again, but to suggest that they are for sure better than the Cowboys defense of that era is pretty ridiculous after just one season. Schaub is a top 10 type of QB, but Aikman was a HOF guy. Holler at me when Schaub is even considered elite, much less a HOF guy. And you really take the cake by trying to act like Joseph was as good as Deion. I can't stand Deion, but you're trying to compare Joseph what the majority of knowledgeable football fans consider to be the best CB of all time. Give Joseph some time to have several years of being elite before comparing him to the best CB that ever played. Not even fair to Joseph. This pretty much smacks of homerism.

As much as it hurts me to say, Eli currently reminds me the most of Aikman.

No one even compares to Deion in this era. Revis is about as close as you can get, but even that is a huge leap.

Texecutioner
08-22-2012, 06:52 PM
As much as it hurts me to say, Eli currently reminds me the most of Aikman.

No one even compares to Deion in this era. Revis is about as close as you can get, but even that is a huge leap.

If Revis can continue to play the way he has, then he'll be up there in my opinion. I think the season Revis had two seasons ago was the best season ever for any CB. Better than any season Deion ever had as far as one single season. Revis had a list of like 7 elite level WR's including AJ that he shut down. I've never seen any CB have that kind of consistency in coverage.

The1ApplePie
08-22-2012, 07:01 PM
If Revis can continue to play the way he has, then he'll be up there in my opinion. I think the season Revis had two seasons ago was the best season ever for any CB. Better than any season Deion ever had as far as one single season. Revis had a list of like 7 elite level WR's including AJ that he shut down. I've never seen any CB have that kind of consistency in coverage.

Deion will always be hard to grade because people just gave up even trying to throw his way. People are still dumb enough to throw at Revis.

BullNation4Life
08-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Some of you post stuff here as if you guys don't have a clue about the Bengals from those years. The Bengals were damn good for a season or two, and Boomer was a damn good QB for a while. Hell, the year that they had Icky Woods running like crazy they were a Joe Montana come back drive away from being SB champs against one of the best teams of all time.

This comparison is a huge compliment to the Texans, and the Texans haven't even been past the 2nd round before and have only made one post season in general. I'll gladly enjoy a comparison like this any day of the week.

I remember those days, Bengals were using the no huddle, or hurry up, offense that year. Boomer, Icky woods, James Brooks, Cris Collinsworth...

Ahhh the good ol days....

Texecutioner
08-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Deion will always be hard to grade because people just gave up even trying to throw his way. People are still dumb enough to throw at Revis.

Well they are a little different. Deion was one of the fastest and quickest guys to ever play any sport in world history. He is one of those guys that is easily one of the best athletes of all time in general. Deion relied on being able to trick QB's and could recover from being out of position on a play better than any other football player I've ever seen. That was the quickness factor there. Revis relies more on being a strong CB that jams WR's better than any CB I've ever witnessed. Revis is very quick and fast, but is so freaking strong and can really push WR's around. He is extremely disciplined and stays on guys like glue as opposed to Deion's tactics of baiting QB's and making them pay. Revis makes guys freaking pack it in by the first half a lot of times though. He gets in guys heads to where they don't feel like they can strategically get open because of his physicality. Revis also seems to get away with a lot more with the officials now.

Texecutioner
08-22-2012, 07:18 PM
I remember those days, Bengals were using the no huddle, or hurry up, offense that year. Boomer, Icky woods, James Brooks, Cris Collinsworth...

I hated that team man. Boomer was a pain in the ass. Munoz was the best Olineman in the league along with Mathews as well.

Lucky
08-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah, and he was 7-14 as a starter versus the Oilers. Never a big fan of Esiason. Very good with a clean pocket. But, I didn't think he stood up versus pressure. I remember Ray Childress commenting after a Oiler victory in the Dome that the Bengals stopped trying to pass in the 4th quarter because Boomer didn't want to get hit. Other than the outstanding play fakes, I don't see much of Esiason in Schaub. Matt is much more accurate and stands taller in the pocket than Boomer.

silvrhand
08-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Top 5 CB's of all time:
Dick Lane (vicious tacker, and all around athlete)
Deion Sanders (best coverage cornerback, ridiculous return man)
Darrell Green (20 years at corner, enough said)
Rod Woodson (11 time pro bowler)
Ronnie Lott (cut his finger off to keep playing)

I'm sorry I don't think anyone today comes close to these guys.. too early in their career to say yet.. Champ Bailey probably the only one that is near this level.

Lucky
08-22-2012, 10:10 PM
All great players. But, I don't think they were as good in coverage as Revis. Lott was best as a safety, where he played at 10 of his 15 seasons in the league.

Texecutioner
08-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Top 5 CB's of all time:
Dick Lane (vicious tacker, and all around athlete)
Deion Sanders (best coverage cornerback, ridiculous return man)

I'm sorry I don't think anyone today comes close to these guys.. too early in their career to say yet.. Champ Bailey probably the only one that is near this level.

Then please explain how Revis doesn't deserve consideration to be a guy that would be amongst these guys "assuming" he stays on the path that he has been on thus far? Are you leaving him out of discussion because it is so early in his career? Look at the list of guys Revis flat out shut down two seasons ago including AJ and tell me he didn't have arguably the best season ever for a CB?

ANother guy that deserves to be on any list amongst best CB's ever is TY LAW!! I think he was better then Champ. It's very debatable though.

silvrhand
08-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Then please explain how Revis doesn't deserve consideration to be a guy that would be amongst these guys "assuming" he stays on the path that he has been on thus far? Are you leaving him out of discussion because it is so early in his career? Look at the list of guys Revis flat out shut down two seasons ago including AJ and tell me he didn't have arguably the best season ever for a CB?

ANother guy that deserves to be on any list amongst best CB's ever is TY LAW!! I think he was better then Champ. It's very debatable though.

All of the above guys did more than just be "the cover guy" for their team, if he continues to have another 5 years like this one than yah he'll be on the list for sure, knocking darrell green out the list.

Will be curious to see if Revis learns how to bait his QB like Deion did, just to see if he can get them to throw the ball.

infantrycak
08-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Will be curious to see if Revis learns how to bait his QB like Deion did, just to see if he can get them to throw the ball.

Thank you. Deion was so good he had to start playing games to get INT's. You could watch him run a receiver tight 6 times and them come off him only to break back. He was stupid quick in short space, well or long space for that matter.

I would kill to have Deion on one side and Aaron Glenn on the other.

barrett
08-23-2012, 12:05 PM

It was called the "sugar huddle". The Bengals were my favorite team growing up. (Until they hired David Shula and I realized that the organization was fundamentally flawed from the top down.)

If you remember, Sam Wyche did not exactly play by the rules, or rather, played around them. The purpose of the sugar huddle was to take advantage of the opposing team trying to substitute players on defense.

The Bengals would do a soft huddle very close to the line of scrimmage and if Esiason saw the defense substitute, the offense would hurry to the line and snap the ball. The result would either be a penalty on the defense for two many players on the field or a defense that was discombobulated and out of position.

That team had ridiculous talent offensively and a few very special players on defense as well.

The Bengals superbowl run was undermined a bit right before the superbowl when the league determined that they could no longer run the sugar huddle.

It was that offense that lead the league to create the rule we have today that if the offense substitutes, the defense has to be given the opportunity to as well.

Double Barrel
08-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah, and he was 7-14 as a starter versus the Oilers. Never a big fan of Esiason. Very good with a clean pocket. But, I didn't think he stood up versus pressure. I remember Ray Childress commenting after a Oiler victory in the Dome that the Bengals stopped trying to pass in the 4th quarter because Boomer didn't want to get hit. Other than the outstanding play fakes, I don't see much of Esiason in Schaub. Matt is much more accurate and stands taller in the pocket than Boomer.

I'm not much of a Boomer fan, either, but what he said with regards to comparing him and Schaub was more about context within the teams they play(ed) for.

Boomer was not comparing QB styles, but said "Schaub reminds me of me in the sense that he is in a really great spot right now much like I was in my third or fourth year with the Bengals." He then explains that they both have great players around them and are both on really good teams that allows their attributes to shine within the system.

Honestly, it's not like some deep insight from Boomer, but more of positive thoughts about the potential of the 2012 Texans and Schaub's role on a solid team.

GP
08-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm Ok with Boomer.

The ex-QB from that era that I REALLY cannot stand???

Phil Simms. There are not enough asterisks this message board filtering system can produce that can put into censored words what I think of him.

He's on a Craig James level for me. Dooooooooosh bags.

eriadoc
08-23-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm Ok with Boomer.

The ex-QB from that era that I REALLY cannot stand???

Phil Simms. There are not enough asterisks this message board filtering system can produce that can put into censored words what I think of him.

He's on a Craig James level for me. Dooooooooosh bags.

Agreed. And I think my dislike for Simms affected my sentiment toward his son before I even gave him much of a chance as a player.

Showtime100
08-23-2012, 01:01 PM
I miss the old AFC Central. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with where Houston football is today. The past is the past, but the House Of Pain and Bum's Bunch before that, old Cleveland Stadium, The Jungle, and those sumbitches in western Pa. There was some good old fashioned innocent hatred right there.

I'll admit Boomer was a pretty good QB, but they were in the AFC Central so my kneejerk recation when hearing the name Esiason will always be negative.

I remember once when TNT (I think) was doing a Thursday night game and Boomer was part of the pregame-postgame team. They had Warren Moon on as a guest and Boomer would not let it go. He kept jabbing Moon about the Oilers, Moon's Oilers, no matter the subject at hand. Houston won most of the games when they went head-to-head and Boomer just HATED that. He even had his stupid little Cincy helmet there for a security blanky...lol.

kingh99
08-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Esiason Bengals batterymate Chris Collingsworth "Pee Wee Hermann reminds me of me" which is actually an unfair slight on Pee Wee. Collingsworth exudes turdliness. Can't stand that mfer.

76Texan
08-24-2012, 05:53 AM

Sorry Tex, that never happened.

You make me bring up the 09 game.

I know I remember it correctly.

Nobody and nobody shut down AJ in man coverage.

Just like some people was saying Aso shut down AJ; that didn't happen either.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

TexansFanatic
08-24-2012, 10:23 AM
I miss the old AFC Central.

Completely agree. The Steelers, Browns, and Bengals were great rivalries and those teams had so much personality. The AFC South just doesn't have the same feel. I suppose, given time, it could. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

D1DAVE
08-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Completely agree. The Steelers, Browns, and Bengals were great rivalries and those teams had so much personality. The AFC South just doesn't have the same feel. I suppose, given time, it could. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.Agreed on that point. I am from N. E. Ohio. Still a Browns fan as well. But that was a division with good hard hitting football. Lots of fun.

DocBar
08-24-2012, 08:52 PM
I liked Boomer. I also liked Kosar, even if he did look like a drunk duck when he "scrambled". The old AFC Central was a helluva lot of fun to watch.

I draw similarities with the AFC South: Indy= Cincy: great offense and suspect defense. Cleveland= Jags: Great ground game, good defense. Tacks= Pittsburgh: I just hate those effing effers. You can mix and mash Indy and Tenn between Cincy and Pittsburgh. I just absolutely hate the team my beloved Oilers became. Maybe I'll feel differently when Bud Adams joins Al Davis in that big owners suite in the sky.

thunderkyss
08-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Completely agree. The Steelers, Browns, and Bengals were great rivalries and those teams had so much personality. The AFC South just doesn't have the same feel. I suppose, given time, it could. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

I didn't even watch football back then...

& I hated the Steelers.

:texan:

TexansFanatic
08-24-2012, 10:13 PM
I didn't even watch football back then...

& I hated the Steelers.

:texan:

And hatred makes for a great rivalry.

I despise the Titans and I'll always want Bud's team to be embarrassed. But it will never mean as much to beat the Titans as it has meant over the years to beat the Steelers because the Steelers have won 6 Super Bowls and the Titans have only won......um......wait....

False Start
08-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Good point. Now if Schaub can lead us to the SB, he can tell Boomer, "I'm better than you!" :smiliedance: :littlelol:

I did however despise him in back in the AFC East days, he seemed to always get the best of us.

DocBar
08-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Good point. Now if Schaub can lead us to the SB, he can tell Boomer, "I'm better than you!" :smiliedance: :littlelol:

I did however despise him in back in the AFC East days, he seemed to always get the best of us.???? You were a fan of whom, back then???? I mean it was the mid 90's J-E-T-S W-E-S-U-C-K!!!!!!!

False Start
08-24-2012, 11:26 PM
???? You were a fan of whom, back then???? I mean it was the mid 90's J-E-T-S W-E-S-U-C-K!!!!!!!

Oilers fan. I meant to say AFC Central. :facepalm:

DocBar
08-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Oilers fan. I meant to say AFC Central. :facepalm:LMAO!!!!!! I fart in your general direction!!!!!!

False Start
08-25-2012, 12:00 AM
LMAO!!!!!! I fart in your general direction!!!!!!

Right back atcha, lol. http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/k_stinker1.gif

;)

ckhouston
08-25-2012, 12:41 AM
He did lead the Bengals to a Super Bowl and it took an epic drive by Joe Montana to beat him. I'd be pretty happy getting that type of result from Schaub.

Hopefully if Schaub leads the Texans to the SuperBowl, an epic drive by Joe Montana wont beat him. :specnatz:

kingh99
08-25-2012, 01:37 AM

I did however despise him in back in the AFC East days, he seemed to always get the best of us.

He didn't get the best of us. Bud Adams the silver spoon buffoon got the best of us. And we turned him out. Spent several years in the NFL wilderness because of his asshattery but we are better for it. Bud Adams is a tool. So glad he got run.

Showtime100
08-25-2012, 03:21 AM
I looked it up the other day and Boom was 7-11 against Houston, iirc. At the time I was looking for Moon-Esiason games so that could be inaccurate. I could look again but I just woke up and am too tired to do any numbers at the moment....lol.

Lucky
08-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Hopefully if Schaub leads the Texans to the SuperBowl, an epic drive by Joe Montana wont beat him. :specnatz:
Don't count him out. If Roger Clemens can come back, so could Joe.