PDA

View Full Version : Bob McNair on replacement refs: “I can’t see any difference”

disaacks3
08-20-2012, 03:11 PM
I love you Bob, but...

“We have complaints, it doesn’t matter who’s officiating,” McNair said. “And we look back at it as to those calls that we think were bad calls, and we don’t have any more now than we had before. Now, clearly the officials that we have now are not as good professionally as the ones we’ve had, otherwise we would have had the others all along. But in terms of the impact on the game, I’ve been watching it and frankly I can’t see any difference. We have the same situation — we have some calls we don’t like, we have some that should have been made that weren’t made, but we don’t have any more, and the players are just as well protected. So I don’t think that safety is an issue at all.” Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/20/bob-mcnair-on-replacement-refs-i-cant-see-any-difference/)

Double Barrel
08-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Hopefully the new officials got the memo that the Texans are now one of the teams that gets the "benefit of the doubt" and superstar treatment for a few of our players.

Especially since the Forehead is out of our division... :hmmm:

Dutchrudder
08-20-2012, 04:08 PM
I guess nobody remembers the away game at Indy last year? Top notch officiating in that one... :rolleyes:

infantrycak
08-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I have noticed a hesitancy in calling penalties (by that I mean in how they state them and their body mannerisms) but I can't say there has been any huge difference in the games. McNair is right. The old refs made mistakes as well. The 2nd Colts game last year was a classic example (not getting into a who woulda shoulda won thing but there were bad calls).

Especially since the Forehead is out of our division... :hmmm:

Frankly this is a potential positive. He's a great QB but I never want to see any QB walk up to a group of officials after the whistle is blown, talk to them and all the sudden one of them pulls a hankie again.

texanhead08
08-20-2012, 04:37 PM
This just means Goddell told us to say this **** so the refs asking price will go down.

disaacks3
08-20-2012, 04:45 PM
There are ALWAYS "questionable" calls, but we've seen some outright BAD calls by the replacement refs.

Half ending on a defensive penalty.

Awarding the ball to the defense after a personal foul was called on the defense the same play.

Touchback on a ball that was downed at the four.

I'm sure there's more, but those are pretty glaring.

brakos82
08-20-2012, 04:51 PM
This just means Goddell told us to say this **** so the refs asking price will go down.

Yep, this screams PC.

Which is why I use linux. :specnatz:

AnthonyE
08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Yep, this screams PC.

Which is why I use linux. :specnatz:

You're obsessed.

steelbtexan
08-20-2012, 05:49 PM
I guess nobody remembers the away game at Indy last year? Top notch officiating in that one... :rolleyes:

^^^^
This

However BoB is towing the company line.

The replacement refs are doing just as good of a job as the regular refs. The game appears to have a better flow with the replacement refs. IMHO

paycheck71
08-20-2012, 06:02 PM
To be honest, I'm sort of impressed with the job the replacements have done. They've obviously had their issues, but most of those IMO have been on the procedural side of things. As far as making calls, I don't think they've been much worse, if at all, than the regulars.

Scooter
08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
i'm eating a little crow so far with the replacement officials. they're pretty bad, but i'm really enjoying that most crews that i've seen have swallowed their whistles. if anything they're having less of an impact on games thus far than the regulars for that one reason. of course the calls that are made are often questionable with several real head scratchers thus far, but if they keep the games flowing and arent throwing "superstar" flags that has become a staple of the regular crews, i wouldnt mind seeing them around a little longer.