PDA

View Full Version : Randy Bullock vs Shayne Graham

TexanSam
08-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Graham made field goals from 48 and 49 yards tonight while Bullock missed from 51. He did make a 52 yarder last week though. It's hard to imagine the Texans cutting Bullock since they drafted him in the 5th round, but if Graham kicks better in the preseason then they'll have a touch choice to make. Anyone have any thoughts about the kicking battle?

Rey
08-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Need to see more.

A close battle goes to the youngster....despite his ps eligibility. :tease:

Ryan
08-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Randy Bullock will have a mysterious injury coming in a couple weeks, I think.

Doppelganger
08-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Graham made field goals from 48 and 49 yards tonight while Bullock missed from 51. He did make a 52 yarder last week though. It's hard to imagine the Texans cutting Bullock since they drafted him in the 5th round, but if Graham kicks better in the preseason then they'll have a touch choice to make. Anyone have any thoughts about the kicking battle?

In Preseason here is what we have seen:

Bullock: make 21, 52, miss 51, 3/4 on fgs, and 3/3 on epa.
Graham: make 20, 37, 48, 49. 4/4 on fgs.

Bullock has been 3/4 on fgs and the miss was a 51 yarder. That is not exactly a gimmie. There is no shame in missing a 51 yarder. Graham is 4/4 but has also been given 2 gimmies (20 and 37) along with 2 challenging 48/49.

I think this is still Bullock's job to lose. For Graham to win this job, Bullock has to miss a few in the 30 yard range and I don't see that happening.

Rey
08-19-2012, 02:21 AM
What was the distance on grahms 4th fg? You have him 3/4 but I only see 3 listed.

FosterGreatness
08-19-2012, 03:07 AM
In Preseason here is what we have seen:

Bullock: make 21, 52, miss 51, 3/4 on fgs, and 3/3 on epa.
Graham: make 20, 37, 48, 49. 4/4 on fgs.

Bullock has been 3/4 on fgs and the miss was a 51 yarder. That is not exactly a gimmie. There is no shame in missing a 51 yarder. Graham is 4/4 but has also been given 2 gimmies (20 and 37) along with 2 challenging 48/49.

I think this is still Bullock's job to lose. For Graham to win this job, Bullock has to miss a few in the 30 yard range and I don't see that happening.

Good Post. :bravo:

Edit: I also see Bullock winning the job. I think Graham is there just to pressure him and see what he's made of.

GP
08-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Graham should win the job.

In no way should we trust a rookie kicker with what's on the line this season.

Graham looks calm out there, no freaky action on his kicks. He's making the kicks.

This is one of those Maynard-Hartmann situations where it's plain to see which guy is doing better...so therefore Kubiak will cut the wrong person, IMO.

Playoffs
08-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Graham looks calm out there, no freaky action on his kicks. He's making the kicks.

This is one of those Maynard-Hartmann situations where it's plain to see which guy is doing better...so therefore Kubiak will cut the wrong person, IMO.

I subscribe to this. To this point, Graham is ahead.

kingh99
08-19-2012, 09:47 AM

If Graham keeps making his goals, this.

Doppelganger
08-19-2012, 10:52 AM
What was the distance on grahms 4th fg? You have him 3/4 but I only see 3 listed.

Sorry it was a typo.

Graham has attempted 4 fgs and has made all 4(20, 37, 48, 49)
Bullock has attempted 3 and has made 2(21 and 52) and missed a 51.
Bullock is also 4/4 on epas.

50+ fgs are tough tough kicks to make. I would like to see Bullock attempt some 40 yarders. All he has had is really easy(epas, 20) and really hard(51/52). Graham has gotten the more reasonable assignment thus far. If Bullock can nail those 40 yarders(as I think he can), its his job. If he cant hit his 40s he may develop an "injury" and need to go on IR.

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 10:55 AM
This kicker battle is wide open ... I have no idea who wins it.

One thing that concerns me about both is the lack of depth on KO's.

eriadoc
08-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Graham has a good track record int he NFL. I think he had some injury issues the last couple years, but not sure about that. Looks healthy now, at any rate. He's a vet that won't let the big moments get to him. I thought when they brought him in that he was washed up and was just here to provide some light competition and maybe a little pro advice for the youngster. Now I'm thinking Graham didn't get that memo. He wants this job. I'm torn right now.

Hervoyel
08-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Graham has a good track record int he NFL. I think he had some injury issues the last couple years, but not sure about that. Looks healthy now, at any rate. He's a vet that won't let the big moments get to him. I thought when they brought him in that he was washed up and was just here to provide some light competition and maybe a little pro advice for the youngster. Now I'm thinking Graham didn't get that memo. He wants this job. I'm torn right now.

My exact feelings on this.

Bullock I thought was going to be our long-term solution at kicker but Graham has made it too close to call. We can't assume anything.

Anyone ever put a kicker on the practice squad?

Lucky
08-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Honestly, I'm not crazy about either of these guys. The ball comes off low from both guys. Neither can kick it through the end zone on kickoffs. Graham looks better, now. But there's nothing on his resume that screams greatness. I was hoping to see something from Bullock, but he looks like just another guy.

Texn4life
08-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Graham's kickoffs overall have been better as well. I think I trust him a little more with the job right now. Man, I hate even typing that.

dream_team
08-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Keep in mind, after seven seasons with the Bengals, even being an All Pro/Pro Bowler one season, and breaking many of the Bengals franchise records... he wasn't re-signed by the Bengals after missing two field goals in a playoff game against the Jets. He even missed a 27-yarder.

If the Bengals don't trust Graham in the playoffs, why should we?

Lucky
08-19-2012, 11:42 AM
If the Bengals don't trust Graham in the playoffs, why should we?
Mainly because the Texans don't have anyone better.

Bulls on Parade
08-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I can't believe Randy Bullock missed a 51-yarder. That should be easy money for him. What a nice luxury it must be for the 49ers to have 6-time pro bowler and a future Hall of Famer, David Akers on their team. He made a 55-yarder last night and didn't even blink. I wish Houston had a kicker like that even though they don't come cheap.

Bulls on Parade
08-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Mainly because the Texans don't have anyone better.
Let's just hope we don't settle for too many FGs during the big games. We will have arguably the worst kicker out of all the playoff teams.

BullBlitz
08-19-2012, 12:28 PM

Agree. If he let's the fact that they drafted Bullock (thanks Rick) get in the way of his decision to keep the better performer, then I hope he ends up paying for it with critical missed kicks.

Would be funny to see Graham get cut and go to the Colts, Titans or Jaguars.

infantrycak
08-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Agree. If he let's the fact that they drafted Bullock (thanks Rick) get in the way of his decision to keep the better performer, then I hope he ends up paying for it with critical missed kicks.

That's real nice, wishing ill on "your team" because they make a decision you don't agree with.

Hottoddie
08-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Honestly, I'm not crazy about either of these guys. The ball comes off low from both guys. Neither can kick it through the end zone on kickoffs. Graham looks better, now. But there's nothing on his resume that screams greatness. I was hoping to see something from Bullock, but he looks like just another guy.

I'm glad to see someone else besides me has this same feeling. I was beginning to think I was imagining it. When the season starts, it's just a matter of time before teams start trying to block them for real.

GlassHalfFull
08-19-2012, 01:07 PM

We were wondering last night if the kickers were told to lay off on the kickoffs, so the return teams could get a chance to do their stuff.

ArlingtonTexan
08-19-2012, 01:17 PM
I can't believe Randy Bullock missed a 51-yarder. That should be easy money for him. What a nice luxury it must be for the 49ers to have 6-time pro bowler and a future Hall of Famer, David Akers on their team. He made a 55-yarder last night and didn't even blink. I wish Houston had a kicker like that even though they don't come cheap.

Much like what we saw with completion percentage, not every attempt is equally difficult. While there are a lot more factors going into whether or not a pass is complete, the major thing effecting kickers is distance. In 2010, kickers were perfect on kicks of less than 20 yards, made 95% of kicks between 20 and 30 yards, 88% between 30 and 40 yards, 74% between 40 and 50 yards, and 60% on kicks beyond 50.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/15/stat-sheet-misconceptions-field-goal-percentage/

The ability to hit 50 yarders with consistency is the great divide between kickers. Most guys can nail under 45 yards at 90% or better. Interesting, Graham is one of those guys who gets dicey about where he kicked from last night, but is very strong at shorter distances.

FosterGreatness
08-19-2012, 02:04 PM
We were wondering last night if the kickers were told to lay off on the kickoffs, so the return teams could get a chance to do their stuff.

That's a good observation. That would make sense.

That kick Bullock missed last night wasn't because of distance. It made it there, was just wide right. Last week he hit a 52 yarder? I think he has plenty of leg, should be good at kickoffs.

drs23
08-19-2012, 02:14 PM

I had not even considered that.

I have wondered for a while though if Donnie Jones is just a place holder until Hartman recoups and sits out his three games. We all KNOW he can boot it into the stands.

Not saying Jones is doing a bad job at all, but does anyone else subscribe to that line of thought?

Premier
08-19-2012, 02:38 PM
people are getting on bullock for missing a 51-yarder? he had the distance, it was off to the right, im sure he can work on this. isnt bullock pretty much automatic within 35-40? i remember how shaky rackers was from those distances.. i recall nick scurfield reporting that bullock was outkicking graham in camp making all his kicks and graham missed a few of them..

Wolf
08-19-2012, 02:42 PM

I have wondered for a while though if Donnie Jones is just a place holder until Hartman recoups and sits out his three games. We all KNOW he can boot it into the stands.

Not saying Jones is doing a bad job at all, but does anyone else subscribe to that line of thought?

also with 4.6 hang time

Dutchrudder
08-19-2012, 04:01 PM
I think Bullock will win this spot, but it's still too early to call it. Missing a 51 yard FG is not reason enough to make a decision between the two.

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 04:37 PM

Ive wondered what was going to happen here myself tho no one responded to my questioning .... Hartman (if healthy) seems a better punter , much bigger leg.

Marcus
08-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Bullock was a 5th round draft pick. For that reason, and that reason alone, Graham will get cut.

I would have thought that would be a given without even having to say it.

PapaL
08-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Bullock wins the job. Short of a disastrous season, he's our K for years to come.

Hartman is our Punter once his suspension is served. As nice as it would be to go 3 weeks without punting it's just not feasible to go w/o a P on the roster. Jones gets cut after week 3.

BullBlitz
08-19-2012, 07:00 PM
That's real nice, wishing ill on "your team" because they make a decision you don't agree with.

It's not because it's a decision that I don't agree with. It's only in the case that Graham is cut after being a demonstrable better performer, and Bullock is kept only because he was a draft pick. We've seen enough poor personnel decisions.

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 07:13 PM

I wouldnt say Graham has won anything yet , there are still two games to go to decide this battle.

Its easy to make the statement that Bullock has an advantage being drafted .... or thats the only reason he's kept (if thats the case) over Graham with the limited information we as fans have .... Its not like you are at the practice field every day watching the battle there under the microscope of the coaches and team.

I think Gary could win back to back :trophy:'s and you'd hammer him.

Wasnt Hartmann a rookie who got cut ?! Bad comparison.

I hope your internet & TV goes out .... during every game this season. :corrosion:

beerlover
08-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Graham seems to have the edge now but Randy may just be battling his groin strain more than he's letting on. I still think he will be the Texans kicker his trajectory goes vertical so much quicker which takes more leg strength. If you watch Graham closely you'll notice his kicks or more of the line driver nature, that are easily returnable or blocked in FG situations.

Premier
08-19-2012, 07:54 PM
It's not because it's a decision that I don't agree with. It's only in the case that Graham is cut after being a demonstrable better performer, and Bullock is kept only because he was a draft pick. We've seen enough poor personnel decisions.

bs, its been 2 preseason games. bullock has missed 1 kick, (a 51-yarder at that).. what happens next week when graham misses 1 kick? thru training camp bullock has been the more accurate of the 2.. read the articles on HT about the kicking competition.. if you think graham has outperformed bullock youre talkin out your ass..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8159d921/Graham-s-second-miss

Playoffs
08-19-2012, 08:09 PM

I don't think either one can kick it out of the end zone. From what I've seen, more of Graham's kickoffs go deeper into it.

BullBlitz
08-19-2012, 08:31 PM
bs, its been 2 preseason games. bullock has missed 1 kick, (a 51-yarder at that).. what happens next week when graham misses 1 kick? thru training camp bullock has been the more accurate of the 2.. read the articles on HT about the kicking competition.. if you think graham has outperformed bullock youre talkin out your ass..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8159d921/Graham-s-second-miss

I didn't say Graham has outperformed Bullock. I said, in the event that Graham does outperform Bullock, Graham deserves the job. Struggle with reading comprehension?

Lucky
08-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I think Gary could win back to back :trophy:'s and you'd hammer him.

I'd like to see that theory tested.

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 09:01 PM

You and me both brother.

Hervoyel
08-19-2012, 09:20 PM

You and me both brother.

Hey, if hammering him gets those kind of results then why mess with what's working?

Premier
08-19-2012, 09:36 PM
I didn't say Graham has outperformed Bullock. I said, in the event that Graham does outperform Bullock, Graham deserves the job. Struggle with reading comprehension?

sorry, skimming thru post where you responded "i agree" to a post that started with "graham should win the job". re-read and it seems you were agreeing to the notion that bullock shouldnt make the team solely on the fact that hes a draftpick.

GP
08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I wish they'd let one guy kick an entire preseason game. Next preseason game, the other guy kicks the whole game.

Give a guy a whole game and all attempts. Right???

Couldn't we learn more than swapping em out all game long? Let them feel like its all on them for a whole game.

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Hey, if hammering him gets those kind of results then why mess with what's working?

I think it would be worth it just to see the sparks flying from GP's tinfoil hat .....

Doppelganger
08-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I wish they'd let one guy kick an entire preseason game. Next preseason game, the other guy kicks the whole game.

Give a guy a whole game and all attempts. Right???

Couldn't we learn more than swapping em out all game long? Let them feel like its all on them for a whole game.

I guess the only problem is what if there aren't many kick attempts in a game? What if you kick 6 times in game 1 and dont have a fg attempt at all in game 2. At least by switching off you give both guys a chance to get some kicks.

TexanSam
08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
For those who watched A&M games last year, did Bullock have a weak leg on kickoffs as an Aggie?

Stemp
08-25-2012, 09:42 PM
For those who watched A&M games last year, did Bullock have a weak leg on kickoffs as an Aggie?

Yes. that's his weakness.

But he was nails in pressure kicks.

gwallaia
08-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I would to see Bullock kick it off to the damn endzone.

Thorn
08-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I would to see Bullock kick it off to the damn endzone.

Bullock is beginning to irratate me with his short kick offs. If he keeps that crap up, I'd just as soon keep Graham.

Stemp
08-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Bullock is beginning to irratate me with his short kick offs. If he keeps that crap up, I'd just as soon keep Graham.

Not sure I agree.

I'd rather the kicker who is a bit short on kickoffs than the guy who misses game winning field goals.

amazing80
08-25-2012, 10:25 PM
who cares about kickoffs once Hitman Hartmann comes back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dP9QPFTW6c

eriadoc
08-25-2012, 11:14 PM
So far, I'm leaning Graham. Bulluck just hasn't done anything that makes me think he was worth a 5th round pick.

gwallaia
08-25-2012, 11:24 PM
So far, I'm leaning Graham. Bulluck just hasn't done anything that makes me think he was worth a 5th round pick.

I'm with ya dude. I think Graham is the man.

CloakNNNdagger
08-25-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm with ya dude. I think Graham is the man.

Count me in that group.

Texn4life
08-25-2012, 11:28 PM
I really don't see how its a question at this point. Graham was asked to come in and compete. If its really a fair and open competition Graham has won at this point. We still have another game left but right now Bullock is the odd man out. We'll just have to vomit that 5th round pick if it comes down to it.

eriadoc
08-25-2012, 11:30 PM
I really don't see how its a question at this point. Graham was asked to come in and compete. If its really a fair and open competition Graham has won at this point. We still have another game left but right now Bullock is the odd man out. We'll just have to vomit that 5th round pick if it comes down to it.

I'd rather vomit the 5th round pick than have to live with the mistake for an extended period of time. We've seen too many players make the team because of their draft status just go on to suck.

Playoffs
08-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Drafted the wrong kicker.

The guy with the bigger leg drafted after Bullock plinks 55 & 52 yarders tonight.

Texn4life
08-25-2012, 11:42 PM
I'd rather vomit the 5th round pick than have to live with the mistake for an extended period of time. We've seen too many players make the team because of their draft status just go on to suck.

Yeah, I would too but I was also thinking that maybe Kubiak told Graham: "We'll bring you in to compete, but the kid will have to completely throw up over himself in the preseason for us to keep you. Sound like a deal"

I would hope thats not the case and Bullock hasn't been bad so far. He just hasn't been better than Graham. Both of them suck at kickoffs, but Graham has had a bigger and more accurate leg if you base it on their total resumes thus far. I'm going by practices as well.

CloakNNNdagger
08-25-2012, 11:45 PM

Just out of courtesy, when Kubiak announces Bullock stays, would you kindly turn away from me before you let it rip?:chef:

GP
08-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Kubiak will choose the kid, I bet a million fake dollars on it.

Graham is the veteran, he has made his kicks and he's had no glitchy leg at all.

But hey, last year Kubiak cut Hartmann and kept Maynard as Punter...after the 3rd preseason game. Then Maynard crapped all over himself in the final preseason game and so Kubiak cut Maynard and brought back Hartmann.

So we're talking about a great potential for us to cut the wrong guy, with no guarantee that the right guy will then make it back to our roster. Yay.

Premier
08-25-2012, 11:59 PM
bullock has missed 1 kick, graham hasnt missed anything, if graham misses a 50 yarder next week does your opinion change..

bullock has been considered automatic from certain distances, i'll take bullocks consistency over an inconsistent big leg. his miss was just right, it had plenty of distance, i think he can straighten that out.. weve seen graham miss a couple sure FGs in the playoffs before..

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 12:04 AM
bullock has missed 1 kick, graham hasnt missed anything, if graham misses a 50 yarder next week does your opinion of change..

bullock has been considered automatic from certain distances, i'll take bullocks consistency over an inconsistent big leg. his miss was just right, it had plenty of distance, i think he can straighten that out.. weve seen graham miss a couple sure FGs in the playoffs before..

Has Graham really been known to be inconsistent though? I don't know the stats but I only remember Graham having one bad year his whole career and he was never known for a big leg. Bullock was inconsistent in his early years at Aggie Land. I wouldn't hold that against him either. Its a tough choice and one I wouldn't wanna make. I personally just trust trust the vet more at this point.

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Im leaning Graham ....That 53 yarder put him in front but there is one game left.

Ive said it before - Both have trouble getting depth on kickoffs .... its driving me nuts.

TexanSam
08-26-2012, 01:29 AM
Has Graham really been known to be inconsistent though? I don't know the stats but I only remember Graham having one bad year his whole career and he was never known for a big leg. Bullock was inconsistent in his early years at Aggie Land. I wouldn't hold that against him either. Its a tough choice and one I wouldn't wanna make. I personally just trust trust the vet more at this point.

Same here. If the Texans have Super Bowl aspirations, then they should go with the better kicker instead of the guy who they used a 5th round draft pick. It may seem like a waste of a pick if they cut Bullock, but if they believe Graham is the best play then keep him. Maybe Bullock can go on the practice squad.

Thorn
08-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Im leaning Graham ....That 53 yarder put him in front but there is one game left.

Ive said it before - Both have trouble getting depth on kickoffs .... its driving me nuts.

This. I was upset with Bullock about not having any distance on his kickoffs, then Graham came in an reminded me he doesn't either.

nytexan
08-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Actually I'm surprised by Bullock's lack of depth on his kickoffs. I was at the Aggie-T.Tech game last year and he not only was putting his kickoffs in the stands he kicked one thru the uprights which I can't remember ever seeing before. So when the Texans drafted the kid, my opinion was he had the strongest leg in college last year.

I'm almost of the opinion that they're doing it on purpose to practice their kickoff return defense. Although I do also agree with whomever stated when Hartmann comes back it won't be an issue any longer anyways.

gtexan02
08-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Graham is 34. I'm tired of looking for a kicker every season. Bullock has missed only 1 kick, and it was over 50 yards. Bullock gives us the ability to quit spending time on kicking competitions in the future. If we go graham we will probably spend another pick on another kicker in the future. I'm going bullock unless he gets hurt

Lucky
08-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Bullock gives us the ability to quit spending time on kicking competitions in the future. If we go graham we will probably spend another pick on another kicker in the future.
Wouldn't it be better for the team if there was competition at every position? And what does it matter if the Texans spend or don't spend a pick on a kicker? A late round pick is no lock, no matter what the position.

The Texans should take the kicker who is best, right now. It's a very important position on the team and the criteria for winning the job can't be determined on draft status.

gtexan02
08-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Wouldn't it be better for the team if there was competition at every position? And what does it matter if the Texans spend or don't spend a pick on a kicker? A late round pick is no lock, no matter what the position.

The Texans should take the kicker who is best, right now. It's a very important position on the team and the criteria for winning the job can't be determined on draft status.

Do you think the Patriots spend time and draft picks on kickers? Gostkowski was the guy and is.

I'd rather not have competition every preseason. I'd rather have a guy lock it down beyond concern. There is no competition for WR1 on our team. I'd like it to be the same for kicker

Lucky
08-26-2012, 09:01 AM
From the Aggies 2011 stats page (http://www.aggieathletics.com/fls/27300/pdfs/2011-12/football/stats/season-stats.pdf?ATCLID=205236140&SPSID=632660&SPID=93232&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=27300):

96 kickoffs (usually from the 35, but could change due to penalty)
61 returns (doesn't indicate if some were onsides attempts)
32 touchbacks
3 out of bounds

From this data, I would say that Bullock didn't consistently get the ball deep in the end zone from the 35. And in the NFL, they kickoff 5 yards deeper.

GuerillaBlack
08-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Like what was said earlier, Hartman will be doing the kickoffs, so I think they can survive for three games with Bullock as the kicker.

CloakNNNdagger
08-26-2012, 10:08 AM
From the Aggies 2011 stats page (http://www.aggieathletics.com/fls/27300/pdfs/2011-12/football/stats/season-stats.pdf?ATCLID=205236140&SPSID=632660&SPID=93232&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=27300):

96 kickoffs (usually from the 35, but could change due to penalty)
61 returns (doesn't indicate if some were onsides attempts)
32 touchbacks
3 out of bounds

From this data, I would say that Bullock didn't consistently get the ball deep in the end zone from the 35. And in the NFL, they kickoff 5 yards deeper.

Bullock tends to kick low and more line drive type of kicks. Even with a strong leg, this lessens the potential distance .....and the time for coverage.

ArlingtonTexan
08-26-2012, 10:15 AM

If the Texans truly think that Bullock and Graham are just a little bit a part, but that Bullock still has room to grow then we might still see Bullock win. some people take a simple well the draft choice won because he is the draft choice, but there was to be some projection of future value considered.

kingh99
08-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Graham's leg is 8 to 10 yards stronger than Bullock's. Graham has outperformed Bullock. I guess the one thing we haven't seen is which one does a better job of getting in the way of a kick return touchdown run. If they keep Bullock over Graham it's because Kubiak is a Aggie homer. Those sort of decisions of the heart tend to hurt at some point.

Wolf
08-26-2012, 11:19 AM
At this stage of kubiak's career, I never understand the reasoning behind "Kubiak will keep the player just because he is an aggie". If Kubiak just started coaching the texans after a career of coaching a&m then yes I could see him picking up ex-players, but with 7 years with the Texans, nope no way

GuerillaBlack
08-26-2012, 11:30 AM
At this stage of kubiak's career, I never understand the reasoning behind "Kubiak will keep the player just because he is an aggie". If Kubiak just started coaching the texans after a career of coaching a&m then yes I could see him picking up ex-players, but with 7 years with the Texans, nope no way

True, but it could be a reason why he drafted Bullock over Zierlien, who has the stronger leg. Granted, both kickers were pretty even in college, but Z has the stronger leg. Has hit on a 52 and two 55 yard field goals so far this preseason. Four touchbacks also. Bullock will be accurate, but I don't know if 50+ yard field goals are going to work for us.

Hottoddie
08-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I think this competition was decided before it even started. Anyone else notice that Bullock has kicked every PAT so far? It seems to me if Graham were really being considered, he'd get some game time with his holder kicking PAT's. While they're considered gimme's, it still requires a little synchronization.

Playoffs
08-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I think this competition was decided before it even started. Anyone else notice that Bullock has kicked every PAT so far? It seems to me if Graham were really being considered, he'd get some game time with his holder kicking PAT's. While they're considered gimme's, it still requires a little synchronization.

So who do you think gets the job?

Hottoddie
08-26-2012, 04:56 PM
So who do you think gets the job?

Well, I was thinking Bullock, but I just read that he went on IR. So, it would appear Graham gets it by default.

LikeMike
08-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Graham's leg is 8 to 10 yards stronger than Bullock's. Graham has outperformed Bullock. I guess the one thing we haven't seen is which one does a better job of getting in the way of a kick return touchdown run. If they keep Bullock over Graham it's because Kubiak is a Aggie homer. Those sort of decisions of the heart tend to hurt at some point.

No, if they keep Bullock its because he is young, cheap and full of potential. Right now they are toe to toe - Bullock missed a 52 yarder, Graham hasn`t so judging from the preseason Graham has the upper hand. I have no idea how they compare in practice.

But they know what Graham can do from his long career - and they have a feeling what Bullock can do based of his college career. A couple of kicks in preseason probably won`t be the deciding factor. They`ll keep Bullock unless they are seeing something now that they don`t like and didn`t see before, when they draftet him.

I think the main reason for drafting a kicker is to be set for the future at the position. You can always snatch a veteran from the waver wire and be ok. But a drafted rookie gives you a kicker for the future that starts out cheap.

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Well, I was thinking Bullock, but I just read that he went on IR. So, it would appear Graham gets it by default.

If you believe that I have some real estate to sell you in Antarctica.

Hottoddie
08-26-2012, 05:02 PM
If you believe that I have some real estate to sell you in Antarctica.

I might be interested, but I need to know how's the fishing first? :D

michaelm
08-26-2012, 05:03 PM
LOL.
Per Sports Radio 610 text alert, Bullock to be placed on IR.

Classic.

Playoffs
08-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Just messing wit cha ... ;)
http://rlv.zcache.com/pull_my_finger_greeting_card-p137720145122684563envwi_400.jpg

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I might be interested, but I need to know how's the fishing first? :D

Lol, better than you could ever imagine!

Playoffs
08-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Shayne Graham, 34, is the 4th-most accurate FG kicker in NFL history at 85.9% (214-of-249) #Texans

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Kubiak will choose the kid, I bet a million fake dollars on it.

Graham is the veteran, he has made his kicks and he's had no glitchy leg at all.

But hey, last year Kubiak cut Hartmann and kept Maynard as Punter...after the 3rd preseason game. Then Maynard crapped all over himself in the final preseason game and so Kubiak cut Maynard and brought back Hartmann.

So we're talking about a great potential for us to cut the wrong guy, with no guarantee that the right guy will then make it back to our roster. Yay.

Think Someone owes Gary and Rick an appology ...... :peek:

wolf123
08-26-2012, 06:00 PM

:spit:

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 06:04 PM
:spit:

I love to poke fun at GP .... :specnatz:

GP
08-26-2012, 06:17 PM
LOL.
Per Sports Radio 610 text alert, Bullock to be placed on IR.

Classic.

Indeed. We have been intimating that this would happen--the Phantom I.R.--and it has happened.

Two things:

1. I was basically bracing myself for the worst possible news, like telling yourself before the doctor's appointment that the doc is probably going to have bad news to report. So if it is bad news, the sting is not as bad as if you thought nothing was going to be wrong.

2. I also was using Jedi reverse mind trick on Kubiak. It worked.

I love to poke fun at GP .... :specnatz:

LOL. I know, I know. I make an easy target. Such is life.

Special teams is very vital, IMO, with the question marks we have for AJ's health, Schaub's health, our RBs, and the right side of the OL. If special teams can be DECENT then I'm happy. But if special teams becomes a weak link, such as a rookie kicker shanking kicks and losing games, well...that magnifies the other problems we're sure to have at some point.

Kudos to Kubiak for I.R.'ing Bullock and retaining Graham. Whew!

Now if I can just be sure that Holliday is going to hold onto the ball...JJ Moses had like two fumbles in over two years here, handling both Kickoffs and Punt Returns, so Holliday has to cut that **** out immediately.

Lucky
08-26-2012, 06:21 PM
2. I also was using Jedi reverse mind trick on Kubiak. It worked.
And it only cost you a fake $million.

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 06:45 PM
LOL. I know, I know. I make an easy target. Such is life.

Its all in good fun GP ....

GP
08-26-2012, 10:45 PM

I'm good for that fake mill, too.

I'm no welsher.

GP
08-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Its all in good fun GP ....

LOL. I know, man.

I still cannot believe he actually resisted the urge to start the rookie from College Station. Gary has ice water running through his veins all if a sudden.

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 10:49 PM
LOL. I know, man.

I still cannot believe he actually resisted the urge to start the rookie from College Station. Gary has ice water running through his veins all if a sudden.

He always has .... its just now that he has the talent around him to make those kind of decisions.

TexansFanatic
08-26-2012, 10:55 PM

Wow. Very well played, sir.

dream_team
08-27-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm thinking this injury is a little legit. Not season ending legit, but he's actually hurt and not phantom to simply put him on IR.

It's not like Graham overwhelmingly beat him. Bullock has only missed one FG this preseason and it was a 52-yarder. They both equally suck at kickoffs as well.

Doesn't make any sense to name Graham the starter this early with one more preseason game to go, unless Bullock isn't healthy enough to play next weekend.

PapaL
08-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Ever since Graham shanked those 2 XPs for the Pats I've had a hard time trusting him. I know everyone misses FGs and everyone comes into the league as a Rookie but still...would've taken my chances w the rookie.

GP
08-27-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm thinking this injury is a little legit. Not season ending legit, but he's actually hurt and not phantom to simply put him on IR.

It's not like Graham overwhelmingly beat him. Bullock has only missed one FG this preseason and it was a 52-yarder. They both equally suck at kickoffs as well.

Doesn't make any sense to name Graham the starter this early with one more preseason game to go, unless Bullock isn't healthy enough to play next weekend.

Kubiak did that last year with naming Maynard the punter after week 3.

Then Maynard sucked really bad in week 4, so Kubiak cuts Maynard and brings back Hartmann.

Except this time, there won't be a comeback because Bullock was I.R.'d.

TejasTom
08-27-2012, 08:48 AM
http://www.prlog.org/10156907-the-monopoly-bribe.jpg

Vinny
08-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Ever since Graham shanked those 2 XPs for the Pats I've had a hard time trusting him. I know everyone misses FGs and everyone comes into the league as a Rookie but still...would've taken my chances w the rookie.

Graham had 7 solid seasons with the Bengals and a Pro Bowl appearance...I think he will be fine. He has a strong leg and has been around the block.

badboy
08-27-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm good for that fake mill, too.

I'm no welsher.What do you have against the Welsh? :foottap:

signed Tom Jones

TexansBull
08-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Graham is a Ginger...you know what they say...

http://i.qkme.me/36g9ri.jpg