PDA

View Full Version : Texan's WRs?

tielahr
08-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Would just like to get some feedback from everyone on what they think of either the WR group as a whole or any individually.
Personally, I think if trindon keeps it up there is no way you don't put him in the final 53.
Also I think we all would like to see Posey more. Is it him not getting balls thrown his way? Or is it that he can't get off the block or run his route correctly? Either way I would like to see him step up as a legitimate #2.
Martin and Jean though have both played very well and I look forward to seeing if either one of them step up to be this teams next big weapon.

All in all. It looks to be a promising season.

beerlover
08-19-2012, 12:48 AM
First & foremost love to see some Andre Johnson on the field. That in itself is very promising.
Can a blocking WR hold the #2 WR spot? Walter can for the Texans.
I think LeStar has the look of the future #2 but for now is a strong #3.
K Mart, Keshawn Martin adds a new wrinkle to this offense. Reminds me a little of Victor Cruz, that's awesome. #4 WR for now & #3 in future, maybe #2?
Posey remains a mystery. But since Texans spent a high pick on him & he does have hard to find size/speed measrueables he wins #5 WR by default.
#6 WR/KR/PR Trindon Holiday. Shows great work ethic & perseverance after disappointing post draft experience/injury then fighting his way back on the team via practice squad.

Long as Andre stays healthy & this group continues growth they should rank in the top third of league. The offensive line concerns me a bit but should be fine in time.

Norg
08-19-2012, 12:55 AM
first i would like to say our WR core is stronger then ever everyone one saying o we have no experince blah blah blah u know who are exp was J Jones but who cares he sucked i think they had no choice to replace him with a pair of rookies

but right now or WR group is so good we will prob have to cut 2 or 3 really good young WR's .... !!!!

and one of them might not be POSEY smith would never cut posey and face the egg on his face that his 2nd round pick might be a buss

StarStruck
08-19-2012, 01:00 AM
I hope that Holiday makes it. That young man is exciting to watch and can be the Texans own version of Pocket Hercules II.

aussie_texan
08-19-2012, 02:52 AM
did anyone else think it was interesting that when jean came off the field because he lost his shoe it wasn't posey that replaced him but maehl??

Wolf6151
08-19-2012, 03:25 AM
First & foremost love to see some Andre Johnson on the field. That in itself is very promising.
Can a blocking WR hold the #2 WR spot? Walter can for the Texans.
I think LeStar has the look of the future #2 but for now is a strong #3.
K Mart, Keshawn Martin adds a new wrinkle to this offense. Reminds me a little of Victor Cruz, that's awesome. #4 WR for now & #3 in future, maybe #2?
Posey remains a mystery. But since Texans spent a high pick on him & he does have hard to find size/speed measrueables he wins #5 WR by default.
#6 WR/KR/PR Trindon Holiday. Shows great work ethic & perseverance after disappointing post draft experience/injury then fighting his way back on the team via practice squad.

Long as Andre stays healthy & this group continues growth they should rank in the top third of league. The offensive line concerns me a bit but should be fine in time.

I agree with most everything here with the exception of Devier Posey. I don't see 4 essentially rookies, Jean, Holliday, Martin, and Posey all making the roster. I think Kubiak will want more veteran experience in the form of Bryant Johnson or another as yet unknown WR once final cuts are made to rosters around the league. We have a little cap room and I think it's a strong possibility we get another WR from the waiver wire list in a few weeks. I think Posey develops an aggravated hang nail and goes onto IR for a year to be Kubiaks next failed 3rd round project that sticks around far to long because he can't admit a bad decision.

tielahr
08-19-2012, 05:24 AM
I agree with most everything here with the exception of Devier Posey. I don't see 4 essentially rookies, Jean, Holliday, Martin, and Posey all making the roster. I think Kubiak will want more veteran experience in the form of Bryant Johnson or another as yet unknown WR once final cuts are made to rosters around the league. We have a little cap room and I think it's a strong possibility we get another WR from the waiver wire list in a few weeks. I think Posey develops an aggravated hang nail and goes onto IR for a year to be Kubiaks next failed 3rd round project that sticks around far to long because he can't admit a bad decision.

Holliday isn't a rookie. He's been on and off the team for the past few years.
Also by no means do I think Posey is a bust. It's only the second game... Of the preseason. He still has time to show up.

ObsiWan
08-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Also by no means do I think Posey is a bust. It's only the second game... Of the preseason. He still has time to show up.

and to add to your point, Jean isn't a rookie either. He wasn't part of the active squad due to his "injury" [cough, cough] situation last year, but that doesn't mean he wasn't hanging around the team and using that time to learn more about our offense and (if he was smart) soaking up knowledge from A.J.

And the more I think about it, this could be K.W.'s last year here. Both he and A.J. are 30-ish. A.J.'s has maybe 3-4 more years but K.W...? I kinda doubt he makes the roster next year. If Martin and Jean show they can block the way our offense requires WRs to do, then you're likely looking at the A.J./K.W. replacement units. And if that happens there's time for Posey (and maybe even Holliday) to develop into proficient slot guys.

Time will tell.

Wolf6151
08-19-2012, 08:18 AM

I know they aren't all rookies that's why I said they're "essentially rookies", because none of them have any NFL game experience. IR and PS don't make you a veteran. The point was that Kubiak prefers veterans to rookies and I still think one of this seasons WR's is in another teams training camp right now. I think we'll be looking to sign someone that gets cut by another team and I think Posey goes to IR island with a mystery injury.

Grams
08-19-2012, 08:43 AM
We signed a veteran last year and what did he do for us?
He is still on the team, but he is never in the discussion for which WR will make the team.

He had all of 6 catches for 90 yards and 1 TD.

Walter had 39 catches for 474 and 3 TD.

I think Jean's performance last night with the balls he caught on 3rd downs may just edge KW out.

I don't think bringing in another veteran WR at this point will make much of an impact on our WR core.

Rey
08-19-2012, 09:14 AM
still think one of this seasons WR's is in another teams training camp right now. I think we'll be looking to sign someone that gets cut by another team and I think Posey goes to IR island with a mystery injury.

I doubt that.

I think the wr's we see are the wr's we'll get unless Aj and/or Walter go down.

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 09:44 AM
and to add to your point, Jean isn't a rookie either. He wasn't part of the active squad due to his "injury" [cough, cough] situation last year, but that doesn't mean he wasn't hanging around the team and using that time to learn more about our offense and (if he was smart) soaking up knowledge from A.J.

And the more I think about it, this could be K.W.'s last year here. Both he and A.J. are 30-ish. A.J.'s has maybe 3-4 more years but K.W...? I kinda doubt he makes the roster next year. If Martin and Jean show they can block the way our offense requires WRs to do, then you're likely looking at the A.J./K.W. replacement units. And if that happens there's time for Posey (and maybe even Holliday) to develop into proficient slot guys.

Time will tell.

Martin had a great downfield block on Fosters long run .... as did Casey.

Both Martin and Jean look like the real deal. All the sudden the position we were all worried about looks like a real strength.

As for Walter , next season is the final year on his contract and he did restructure , I dont know what his cap implications are now and if there would be any real savings in letting him walk.

beerlover
08-19-2012, 09:59 AM
I know they aren't all rookies that's why I said they're "essentially rookies", because none of them have any NFL game experience. IR and PS don't make you a veteran. The point was that Kubiak prefers veterans to rookies and I still think one of this seasons WR's is in another teams training camp right now. I think we'll be looking to sign someone that gets cut by another team and I think Posey goes to IR island with a mystery injury.

Texans also like to develop from within through the draft & undrafted rookie free agency :specnatz:

IDEXAN
08-19-2012, 11:44 AM
It's obviously way too soon to label Posey a bust, on the other hand he's for sure a disappointment at this point in time. I mean we've got 2 preseason games in the books now and he's yet to catch his first NFL pass.
I've heard several people say he might end up on IR this year, but I'm not sure how that happens if Posey is not in fact injured in some way ? And we sure can't put him on the PS because this is a 2012 third round pick and if he's left unprotected as he would be multiple teams would grab him. Yet absent any evidence of on-field productivity (which is the case so far), the Texans would also be reluctant to tie-up a valuable roster spot with him ?

dream_team
08-19-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm greatly encouraged by Martin & Jean's performances thus far. It makes it easier to keep Trindon instead of B. Johnson.

I wouldn't label Posey a bust just yet. Keep in mind he didn't play the whole last season, so it may have been expected for him to come along slowly. He may take the same route as Brandon Harris did.

texanhead08
08-19-2012, 11:55 AM
I think Holiday makes the team as long as he doesn't put the ball on the ground in the last 2 pre season games.