PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario not so super so far

Pages : [1] 2

srrono
08-17-2012, 08:42 PM
2 preseason games zero stats registered. I wonder if bills fans are worried.

Texn4life
08-17-2012, 08:43 PM

No one should be worried about any proven player in preseason unless they're hurt.

TexansSeminole
08-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Let's not start talking trash about Mario. He was a good player and would have been retained had he not been so elite. The guy will produce and has in the past. He is an excellent player. He chose to move on and be paid much higher than he would have been as a Texan. It was a mutually beneficial breakup.

Lucky
08-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Didn't we used to have these same preseason Mario threads (0-0-0)? Williams will put up numbers (if healthy). Numbers worth $100 million? That's another story.

Hookem Horns
08-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Didn't we used to have these same preseason Mario threads (0-0-0)? Williams will put up numbers (if healthy). Numbers worth $100 million? That's another story.

That's the issue. How many seasons was Mario totally healthy? I can think of maybe one.

TdotTexas2Step
08-17-2012, 09:48 PM
There are two certains with Mario:

1. He will produce.
2. He will get hurt somewhere along the way.

With all that said, no Bills fans shouldn't be worried because when the lights come on, he'll be there for them. Now when he gets hurt, then we can ask if Bills fans are worried.

Lucky
08-17-2012, 09:52 PM
That's the issue. How many seasons was Mario totally healthy? I can think of maybe one.
Who in the NFL is totally healthy? 2007 and 2008 were his best seasons and he didn't have any debilitating injuries. Mario has been good for about 13 games and 9 sacks. I believe he would have put up excellent numbers in Wade's defense, but that's moot. Williams will be good in Buffalo. Maybe Pro Bowl good. But not as good as he could have been in Houston.

Playoffs
08-17-2012, 09:52 PM
It's preseason, as in not real football. :kitten:

I wish Mario good luck, as best as his interests don't conflict with our interests.

Rey
08-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Yes bills fans should be worried but not because of the no stats stuff. He's no longer in wades defense and supposedly he's back up over 300 lbs. They paid him at a level where he needs to perform at an elite level consistently and I don't know if buffalo is the place for him to do that.

thunderkyss
08-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Agreed..... his only issue here, was staying healthy & I think that was a by-product of playing 90% of the snaps. He's a warrior & I'm sure the Bills will be pleased with him.

Until that $100M starts to affect their ability to keep other players. But since they were so far below the cap & have pretty much stayed away from "known" players, i shouldn't be a problem for a while.

I watched the game vs Washington, hadn't watched the most recent game. But as a fan, I would be pleased to see that he's working on his hand game. Not relying on the bull rush, or his speed.

When the games count, I'm sure you'll see him use more of what works & less experimenting/practicing.

Dutchrudder
08-18-2012, 10:13 AM
He's probably just taking off all the plays cause its preseason.

Vinny
08-18-2012, 10:16 AM
I was watching the Bills play and he has been run right at several times...not impressive, but I think vets like him are just trying not to get hurt. It's cold up there in Buffalo soon! Good thing heaters only cost money.

Norg
08-19-2012, 12:09 AM
of course they should be worried if i got 80 mill gurantee i might conisder retiring from football go home and eat some ice cream LOL

Norg
08-21-2012, 02:31 AM
on a BTW i watched him in the bills / minny game man he did nothing LOL

why does he always do that rushes in a half circle around the QB behind him thats all he did he didnt even touch the QB with one finger LOL he didnt even get within 3 feet from him the hole game LOL

chicagotexan2
08-21-2012, 02:39 PM
He won't be a fat Albert hayneswoth, but if the bills fans are expecting reggie white they are in for a big disappointment. Mario was a good and too oft injured player for us. I think he'll be good for the bills but not 100 million good.

Double Barrel
08-21-2012, 02:46 PM
He's not Bruce Smith 2.0 and not even Bruce Smith lite.

Bills fans will be disappointed regardless of his performance because their expectations are too high and that $100 million price tag did nothing to help them be pragmatic about it.

My in-laws are from Buffalo and they just returned from a two week visit up there. They said Bills fans are expecting great things from Mario and anything less will be a huge disappointment. Hopefully the thick skin he developed here during the VY Sausage Fest is something he can use to handle the inevitable criticism up there.

I wish no ill will on the guy. Just calling it like I see it.

NastyNate
08-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Agreed..... his only issue here, was staying healthy & I think that was a by-product of playing 90% of the snaps. He's a warrior & I'm sure the Bills will be pleased with him.

Until that $100M starts to affect their ability to keep other players. But since they were so far below the cap & have pretty much stayed away from "known" players, i shouldn't be a problem for a while.

I watched the game vs Washington, hadn't watched the most recent game. But as a fan, I would be pleased to see that he's working on his hand game. Not relying on the bull rush, or his speed.

When the games count, I'm sure you'll see him use more of what works & less experimenting/practicing.

Exactly. A lack of quality DE rotation left him on the field way too much, and unfortunately I think he's got Kearney behind him now which won't bode well to the rotation. Probably an even worse option if you think about it.

I have no ill feelings towards Mario, he was an okay player here overall, and chased the money while it was there for the taking. Any one of you would have done the same thing.

But I'd bet a wooden nickel Barwin out produces this year over what Mario does.

b0ng
08-22-2012, 02:12 PM
I'll revisit Mario Williams's performance after a few regular season game.

Wolf
09-09-2012, 03:49 PM
this thread is interesting so get your :popcorn: ready

1 tackle against a guy that was undrafted in 2010 and on ravens practice squad in 2011 and signed by the Jets late in that season

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?428282-Mario-Williams-uninformed-Bills-fans-target-of-criticism-and-frustration

I wish the best for Mario and obviously I didn't watch their game. 100 million dollars sure is a lot

good thing 15 more games to go for him or the bills will be scratching their head

Rey
09-09-2012, 03:58 PM
The fans are killing him on their message board....

False Start
09-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Funny tweet from LZ.
(https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/244902157214687232)
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein

Bills fans getting a taste of what Mario Williams occasionally brings to the table.... 1 tackle, no sacks and no pressure

:ahhaha:

Showtime100
09-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I hate to say this, but I'm glad to see it. It seemed to me the press thought very little of him for his entire tenure in Houston and the minute he goes to Buffalo it's HOLY CRAP Buffalo is a contender.

Mario does do this from time to time but usually while he's taking on two blockers so his mates can do their thing.

Honoring Earl 34
09-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Kubiak is a coach down in Texas
You know he knows just exactly what the cap is
He ain't gonna listen to richard justice
He makes his livin' off of the people's Texans

Mario in blue, whoa, whoa, he slipped away
Vince Young caught up to him the very next day
They got the money, hey
You know they got away
They're not down south and they're still running today
Singin' go on take the money and run
Go on take the money and run

Hagar
09-09-2012, 06:54 PM
I was always skeptical of Mario's play. He'd show flashes of greatness, then fall a sleep for whole games.

Mario played his best football in the final year of his contract. Now that he's been paid, you won't see him again until the final year of this contract.

Good luck Bills, you're going to need it.

silentassassin
09-09-2012, 07:11 PM
More important than his performance was the complaining about the officials. Really bad timing for that, imo.

Hottoddie
09-09-2012, 07:25 PM
I caught some of the game late & Mario seemed very sluggish & unmotivated. Buffalo was within 2 scores & had about 5-6 minutes left. I guess he just shut it down early. I'm very disappointed, because I always liked him & couldn't fault him for accepting a $100+ million contract. However, I'm a firm believer in earning the money you're paid.

thunderkyss
09-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Did Jared Allen play today? Because I can't find his name in the box scores.... (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012090901/2012/REG1/jaguars@vikings#menu=highlights&tab=analyze) Not even an assist (http://www.nfl.com/player/jaredallen/2505940/profile).

Must have took the day off. Damn Defensive End.

Scooter
09-09-2012, 07:48 PM
well, he ended his career with a big paycheck. the bills may flounder, but as long as they sell lamborghini's in new york, mario will be just fine.

Heath Shuler
09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Bills LE Mario Williams was held to a single tackle in his Buffalo debut.
Mario also got just one hit on Mark Sanchez, after Sanchez released the ball. Williams was "furious" after the game about the replacement refs' no-calls of alleged penalties by Jets RT Austin Howard. "Pass blocking doesn't include hands to the face," Williams said. "When someone tells the officials that, and they just walk away, or they don't call it, that is disheartening.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3636/mario-williams

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I caught some of the game late & Mario seemed very sluggish & unmotivated. Buffalo was within 2 scores & had about 5-6 minutes left. I guess he just shut it down early. I'm very disappointed, because I always liked him & couldn't fault him for accepting a $100+ million contract. However, I'm a firm believer in earning the money you're paid.

Are you talking about Albert???:spin:

GP
09-09-2012, 10:19 PM
He's filthy rich now, he isn't going to try hard ever again.

I always thought there was something a bit off about Mario. Sure, he never caused problems in Houston. He was chill. But yet he never really stood out, never seemed to make others better.

When was he ever helping out those around him, getting them in position and making them hustle up and stuff??? Instead, he looked like a Lone Ranger to me. Lone wolf.

So, no surprise that he gets a huge payday and goes AWOL in the first game. Bills fans are not going to be happy. He'll have some injury, and the story will be that "maybe Mario was just hurt and he'll come back stronger when he's healed up." Yeah, sure he will....

Premier
09-09-2012, 10:57 PM
weve known mario isnt a game changer, he sprinkles in multi-sack games here and there. big games he disappears..

kwayshauntay
09-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Why bump a thread and pile on a guy that didn't even play today?

[okay so I stole that from a bills forum (: ]

silvrhand
09-10-2012, 09:14 AM
http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/149773-100-million-dollar-mistake/page__st__40

Ouch lol..

silvrhand
09-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Why bump a thread and pile on a guy that didn't even play today?

[okay so I stole that from a bills forum (: ]

Why cause it shows we made the right decision to let him move on and that we see the same thing as we've always seem. A dominant physique and skillset that plays about 50% of the time, aka no heart.

Playoffs
09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Hey! That guy who controlled Mario was cheating the whole game and the refs blew it:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8359899/mario-williams-buffalo-bills-rips-replacement-refs-loss

Playoffs
09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/149773-100-million-dollar-mistake/page__st__40

Ouch lol..
Oh, the horror...
Looks just like he did in the pre-season. Slow,out of shape. Take the money and run. Couldn`t beat a scrub lineman.Just start watching him giving up on plays.
Ever wonder why the Texans did not resign him? Mario Williams is no Bruce Smith. He was a lamb today.
The entire defense was no better than last years defense. Our defense is a paper tiger.Useless, impotent,
no pass rush, we scare nobody, an utter**waste of a 100 million dollars.And Chan Gailey has said all along
that they are way ahead of the offense in training camp? What is he smoking? We were supposed to have the
most dominating defensive line in football. They played like choir girls!!! All of them!
At this rate... 0 sacks, 16 tackles... $100 million seems worth it! :D

jjjezebel
09-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Peter King's assessment on MMQB:

Goat of the Week
Mario Williams, DE, Buffalo.
You can excuse a preseason of no production, because no one cares about the preseason. But no team had the kind of crisis the Jets had at right tackle in the preseason, dumping starter Wayne Hunter in favor of the untested Austin Howard, and on Sunday, Williams got nothing done playing across from Howard. This much of nothing: one tackle, zero sacks, zero quarterback hits. A pathetic opening display for a man who will make $40 million over the first two years ($1.18 million for his no-show Sunday) of a six-year, $96 million deal.

Ouch.

Trail.Blazr
09-10-2012, 11:37 AM
He's filthier richer now, he isn't going to try hard once again.

I always thought there was something a bit off about Mario. Sure, he never caused problems in Houston. He was chill. But yet he never really stood out, never seemed to make others better.

When was he ever helping out those around him, getting them in position and making them hustle up and stuff??? Instead, he looked like a Lone Ranger to me. Lone wolf.

So, no surprise that he gets a huge payday and goes AWOL in the first game. Bills fans are not going to be happy. He'll have some injury, and the story will be that "maybe Mario was just hurt and he'll come back stronger when he's healed up." Yeah, sure he will....

Fixed it for ya. He was made filthy rich by the Texans.

And never say ever again

:marionaner:

silentassassin
09-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I hate to say this, but I'm glad to see it. It seemed to me the press thought very little of him for his entire tenure in Houston and the minute he goes to Buffalo it's HOLY CRAP Buffalo is a contender.

Mario does do this from time to time but usually while he's taking on two blockers so his mates can do their thing.

I feel the same way(bolded statement). The media coverage bothered me more than it should have, but I'm glad to see Buffalo fan is getting to see the other side of this double-edged sword.

Hagar
09-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Fixed it for ya. He was made filthy rich by the Texans.

And never say ever again

:marionaner:

I bet he's already blown threw all the money the Texans gave him.

kwayshauntay
09-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Why cause it shows we made the right decision to let him move on and that we see the same thing as we've always seem. A dominant physique and skillset that plays about 50% of the time, aka no heart.

whooooosh

Texecutioner
09-10-2012, 08:41 PM

That's what I said about Mario the entire time he was here. Can't count the times Dale and I were either laughed at or spewed at for pointing out the obvious with Mario. He is going to really stink in Buffalo. They're going to be really bad for years, and he'll hate that cold weather over there. He'll be cut after his 3rd season there.

Wolf6151
09-11-2012, 03:27 AM
I wish Mario and the Bills all the best but like I said in the Jacoby Jones thread, a Zebra don't change his stripes. Mario is what he is, an overhyped talented player who doesn't always play up to his potential. He takes plays off and sometimes takes games off.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2012, 07:29 AM
:facepalm: Bills Fan!

Posted by Billsnation2010
Are you kidding me, someone talks and you're brain washed after a game? LOL If I am not mistaken he was drafted #1 overall by a poor Houston Texans Defensive team, he was it with a bunch of ok guys. They built that defense around Mario Williams, they became great because of him. He has not played in almost a season, ok he is making what 96 M to play like a madman I understand that but you are not paying him are you? So let things play out before we go calling this anything more than a guy trying to get his sea legs back.

Yo dumbass, the defense wasn't good until that "almost a season" he didn't play...

Texan_Bill
09-11-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm guessing the Bills fan base isn't the most intelligent in the league:

Originally Posted by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills
To be fair, this is the first live action he's seen in nearly 13 months. I don't expect guys to come back in game ready shape after missing 11 games last year.

Didn't Marion go out in the 5th game of the season?? Obvioulsy, but wouldn't that be less than even 12 months ago??? :thinking:

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2012, 07:44 AM

Didn't Marion go out in the 5th game of the season?? Obvioulsy, but wouldn't that be less than even 12 months ago??? :thinking:

You need to understand that Buffalo is much further north than we are, which means that their rotation period around the sun is longer than ours. Ergo, from Oct 2011 to Sept 2011 may only be 11 months for us, but it is 13 months for them. :toropalm:

:sarcasm: for those who missed it.

Trail.Blazr
09-11-2012, 07:51 AM
You need to understand that Buffalo is much further north than we are, which means that their rotation period around the sun is longer than ours. Ergo, from Oct 2011 to Sept 2011 may only be 11 months for us, but it is 13 months for them. :toropalm:

To be fair.. watching a game, waiting for MW to earn his paycheck can feel like an eternity, thus the time continuum factor can feasibly stretch 11 months into 13, just from a single game. Remember... Us Texans fans have had 6 seasons to adjust to this. Poor Bills fans.. they know not what they do.

mootini
09-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Is Mario becoming the next Hainesworth? Big signing, no show on the turf! Sucks when they hit pay dirt and "retire" mentally. Bills fans are using excuses because they are afraid his big contract, will suck a lot of cap $ for future contracts. Its a make or break on his signing. So far...not good.

AMartin56
09-11-2012, 09:02 AM
My favorite quote from a Bills fan was something along the lines of 'Mario has a major disadvantage when it comes to the pass rush...he has to keep one hand in his pocket to keep his money from falling out...'

Another interesting article:

http://wgr550.com/two-bills-drive/14203249

utahmark
09-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I just watched the Bills replay. I saw Mario put one his on the qb just after the ball was gone. I saw a couple of running plays that mario disrupted. Sanchez was getting the ball off pretty quick and the game was over just after halftime. I saw about 3 plays he was a factor in. Thats $333,000 per play if he gets his entire $96,000,000.

Mario will show up big in about 1/3 of the games this year. Either he will have a matchup he likes(although I'm not sure what he did'nt like about this match up). Maybe he will have a bad week and want to take his frustration out on someone(although with all that money it might be hard to have a bad week). I'm sure he will find some reason to play good occasionally, just like he did here.

dc_txtech
09-11-2012, 11:18 AM

It looks like year-wise he was counting backwards from the last previous year, so I think he might actually be right.

steelbtexan
09-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Kubiak is a coach down in Texas
You know he knows just exactly what the cap is
He ain't gonna listen to richard justice
He makes his livin' off of the people's Texans

Mario in blue, whoa, whoa, he slipped away
Vince Young caught up to him the very next day
They got the money, hey
You know they got away
They're not down south and they're still running today
Singin' go on take the money and run

Truer words have never been spoken about MW. Go count your $$$$$ MW.

Repped

steelbtexan
09-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Did Jared Allen play today? Because I can't find his name in the box scores.... (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012090901/2012/REG1/jaguars@vikings#menu=highlights&tab=analyze) Not even an assist (http://www.nfl.com/player/jaredallen/2505940/profile).

Must have took the day off. Damn Defensive End.

What does this have to do with MW, his play or his complaing about the officials? I'm glad MW's Buffalo's problem now.

100 mil= LOL

Playoffs
09-11-2012, 12:00 PM
More:
Defensive Line

Mario Williams
Time on Field: 90.5% snaps played; 57 at LDE
Stats: 1 tackle (solo)
Plus/Minus: -7 (5 positive plays, 12 negative plays)

Observations: The Bills biggest free agent acquisition was also the player that had the worst grade of any defensive lineman on the team. While Williams had a nice inside rip move before getting double teamed and also a solid speed rush at the end of the first half, by and large Williams just did not get the job done. His normal move was to try and go wide, which took him out of the play in stopping the run. There were also a few times where he was gobbled up on run plays in a one-on-one matchup against a tight end.

Grade: C- (1.67 GPA)
http://wgr550.com/two-bills-drive/14203249

Rodney Harrison says Mario will disappear, fall off the face of the earth:
"He's financially set. So to come out as a free agent and decide to spend the prime time -- basically my prime years -- with the Buffalo Bills, you're not going to make the playoffs. You're not going to the Super Bowl."

Harrison, twice an All-Pro safety, spent the first nine years of his career with the San Diego Chargers and then signed with the New England Patriots in 2003 for the chance to win Super Bowls. He has two rings.

"They're not very good," Harrison continued on the Bills. "They don't have a franchise quarterback. The Patriots will always dominate that division. The Jets will always be second.

"So my point here is you go out and get a $100 million deal, well, wouldn't you've taken $80 million and gone somewhere where you could have been competitive each and every week? I just think this is a huge mistake for Mario Williams.

"Mark my words: He will get lost in the shuffle. He'll probably fall off the face of the earth."http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/09/rodney-harrison-blasts-mario-williams-for-money-grab.html

Very interesting revenge matchup this week for Mario: Eric Winston & the Chiefs!

El Tejano
09-11-2012, 12:45 PM
I feel the same way(bolded statement). The media coverage bothered me more than it should have, but I'm glad to see Buffalo fan is getting to see the other side of this double-edged sword.

I second those feelings. I even called into Sirius and tried to make the same complaint and they hung up on me so that I wouldn't finish my argument. But they were screaming Buffalo is now a Super Bowl contender and they were doing it all week.

But no mention of the dominant performance that JJ Watt put on this past Sunday at all. That's okay. I'll take less media and more wins anyday.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2012, 07:24 PM

:spit: That was awesome, right there!!!

MSR!!

Texan_Bill
09-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Lemme be "on pace guy" for a minute. Marion is "on pace" to make a $1,000,000.00 per tackle!

TexanSam
09-11-2012, 07:33 PM
I still expect Mario will have 10-12 sacks, but he'll be the same old MW doing it. Great game here and there with a lot of mediocre ones in between. Hell, he might have multiple sacks in a few games, but with a lot of plays off in between. It's who he is.

False Start
09-11-2012, 08:42 PM
JJ doesn't miss him. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/11/watt-says-texans-wont-miss-mario-williams/)

srrono
09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/article/20120910/SPORTS/120919877/1004

Damien Woody played many years on the offensive line for the New England Patriots and New York Jets.

This year, he has been a huge Buffalo Bills fan.

Woody has been banging the Bills' drum in his role as an ESPN analyst. He predicted they would make the playoffs because he thought free-agent defensive end Mario Williams was that influential, that dominant.

But after what Woody witnessed from Williams in Sunday's season-opening 48-28 loss to the Jets, he's not sure what to think anymore.

"Mario had no effect on the game. None. Zero." said Woody, who watched the game from the stands next to some Bills fans at the Meadowlands.

Against a right tackle with four games of NFL experience and one previous start, Williams recorded no sacks. His lone tackle came on the fourth play. He didn't appear on the official play-by-play rundown for the rest of the game.

In the Bills' locker room after the game, Williams complained that replacement officials kept ignoring Howard's hands being jabbed in Williams' face.

"For him to blame replacement officials as the reason he got dominated yesterday, I think that's pathetic," Woody said. "There's no ifs, ands or buts about it.

"You're the big free agent. You're the $100 million man going up against a guy that was on the practice squad and inserted in the starting role just a couple weeks ago. I saw a lot of times Mario was one-on-one and couldn't do anything."

The Bills made Williams the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, signing him to a six-year contract worth as much as $100 million and with $50 million in guarantees.

Woody didn't see any justification for those dollars Sunday.

"I give all the credit to Austin Howard, but this is opening day," Woody said. "If there's any day that you're going to be riled up, it is opening day. You're on the road against a divisional opponent. You're feeling good about your team.

"To not have any production? And then to try to blame it on replacement refs? I mean, come on, man. You've got to be kidding me."

Jets coach Rex Ryan denied that Howard did anything illegal. Bills coach Chan Gailey dismissed any overlooked calls.

"Our offensive guys probably had a couple," Gailey said. "It's going to happen. Maybe it happened more to him than other people. We've just got to keep fighting through that kind of stuff."

The official NFL game book credited the Bills with no quarterback hits, although Williams did knock Mark Sanchez down once. Sanchez had one of the best games of his career, throwing for three touchdowns and registering a gaudy 123.4 passer rating.

Some might say the Jets negated Williams with quick throws, but Jets receivers were getting open in the secondary with double moves. Double moves take time to execute and require pass protection.

"He was doing all right," Gailey said. "He didn't use the power rush maybe as much. If you'd go back and ask him, he might say he should have used the power rush a little bit more than he did, the edge rush."

A lot of players who perform "all right" make a fraction of the salary Williams does. When asked whether "all right" is enough from a player of Williams' stature, Gailey was cautious in his response.

"It's hard to put too much pressure on guys like that," Gailey said. "You just want every guy to be a factor in the game at whatever position they play. I want them all to be more of a factor.

"We point him because he's a highly touted signee and all that. He's going to be a good player here for a long time. I don't have a problem with that."

Texecutioner
09-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Looks like he saw the same thing I used to see since season one for the Texans. I won't ever feel sorry for Mario Williams when he is criticized. THe guy got huge bucks here when he hadn't earned it, and now he is getting it in Buffalo and he won't earn it there for sure considering what they decided to pay him.

kwayshauntay
09-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Just finished watching the full game, and wowwww. I don't remember Mario ever sandbagging an entire game as blatantly as he did this one.

That was a pathetic effort. He was barely even trying, as if he was doing non-contact practice drills.

[grasping at] Maybe he's not fully recovered from his pec injury? [/straws]

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 09:21 AM
whooooosh

msr

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 09:24 AM
That's what I said about Mario the entire time he was here. Can't count the times Dale and I were either laughed at or spewed at for pointing out the obvious with Mario. He is going to really stink in Buffalo. They're going to be really bad for years, and he'll hate that cold weather over there. He'll be cut after his 3rd season there.

Don't know if anyone ever laughed at you. But I've always defended Mario when he was here & I'll continue to defend him. He is elite.

I didn't watch the Buffalo game, so I have no idea what was going on there. Can't tell you how well he played/didn't play. But just because he didn't show up on the stat sheet doesn't tell me he didn't play well.

Jared Allen didn't show up in the box scores either, doesn't change the fact that he's elite & Mario is a more well-rounded DE.

Ω

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Yes, he was leading our team in sacks after 5 weeks, after 6 weeks, after 7 weeks, I think after 8 weeks.

But yes, he went out in the 5th game of the season.

Playoffs
09-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Pretty harsh Buffalo News article for this early in the season:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120912/SPORTS/120919626/1004
Jerry Sullivan: Super Mario gets a reality check

But evidently, Williams didn't have the necessary means to know he was being roasted in the national media. Williams said he was unaware that former NFL star Rodney Harrison had ripped him Monday on his debut show on the NBC Sports Network.

Really, you didn't hear?

"I don't watch TV, man," Williams said. "Never have, never will. I think I've said that about a million times in my last seven years."

I'm not sure what's harder to believe - that any red-blooded American would claim to have never watched a minute of television, or that an NFL player with a Twitter account and a cell phone, not to mention friends, teammates and relatives, could be ignorant of a public media attack.

"Mario didn't hear it?" Ryan Fitzpatrick said. "Oh, I didn't either, then."
When you hand a player $50 million in guarantees, you expect greatness, not excuses. Maybe it's sour grapes, but Houston fans and players don't seem to miss him. I'm already wondering if what they say is true, that there's a lot less to Mario than meets the eye.

GP
09-13-2012, 07:18 PM
You can ALWAYS gauge the greatness of a player by visiting a diehard fan message board and reading the reactions of the fans regarding a departing player.

How many fans, here, went to the length or to the level of gnashing of teeth and wailing in the Mario Leaves Houston for Buffalo thread versus the DeMeco Leaves Houston for Philly thread?????????? Night and day difference.

In one thread, people were arguing more about how early or how late people were to realize the player was not worth the money. In the other thread, there was heated remarks and great debate amongst the fans about the departure of the other player. Meh in one, OMG! in another. Night and day difference.

And whattya' know? One player is getting the usual remarks, and the other is getting the usual remarks. What you do when you leave for a new team, how you handle it and how you perform in your new jersey, is the mark of a great NFL player. Ryans is not a stud superstar LB, never was...he is genuinely energized and would chop an arm off to get out there and play. The other guy? Well...ummm...sort of.

Big ups to Philly for making a good deal for their team, both in terms of player need and contract friendliness. We ended up, IIRC, getting a decent draft pick for Ryans as well. Win-win.

Texn4life
09-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Sound Familiar?

Mario Williams hints at undisclosed injury (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/13/mario-williams-hints-at-undisclosed-injury/)

Mario Williams hints at undisclosed injury
Posted by Mike Florio on September 13, 2012, 10:22 PM EDT
Mario Williams AP

Lost in the reaction of Bills defensive end Mario Williams to the criticism of his Week One performance is the reality that he apparently has an injury that the Bills have yet to disclose.

Coach Chan Gailey revealed that Williams suffered a wrist injury in the preseason, according to Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News.

“I had a little bit of a freak deal a couple of weeks ago,” Williams said. “Unfortunately, it was right before the regular season. Like I said, by any means necessary. I’ve got to take care of it, put everything to the side, and try to get to the quarterback.”

Rey
09-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Mario is going to get his sacks I think. He is a good player but he wouldn't have been close to being the best player on this defense. He wasn't worth 100 mil.

Jj watt is already a better player than Mario.

CloakNNNdagger
09-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Mario is going to get his sacks I think. He is a good player but he wouldn't have been close to being the best player on this defense. He wasn't worth 100 mil.

History tends to repeat itself. Mario was taking plays off and disappeared in a game........already. He is again injured........already. First game or not, he is failing to meet high expectations.........already. Yet he has fattened his super-sized wallet.......already. And I am tired of hearing about how good Mario really is........already.:kitten:

thunderkyss
09-14-2012, 08:38 AM

I don't know. In this defense, Mario was on track to record 15 sacks. He may very well have gotten close to 20 sacks. Add in all the hurries, pressures, & tackles for losses that would have gone along with 20 sacks in this defense. Who knows?

WOLB in Wade's defense is like a RB in the ZBS, the QB in a WCO... however good the player is, the scheme is designed to "inflate" his production.

When healthy Mario is one of the best DE in the league, even when he "takes plays off & disappear for a while."

TheIronDuke
09-14-2012, 10:54 AM
I can name 5 DE's I'd rather have over Mario, so I have no idea why he's being paid like the best defensive player in football. :mariopalm:

EllisUnit
09-14-2012, 11:10 AM
The man i getting 50 million dollars regardless of what he does. He is prob set for life, i doubt he really cares.

fool them once shame on them,,,,fool them twice,,,,now he's rich :kitten:

Vinny
09-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Sound Familiar?

Mario Williams hints at undisclosed injury (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/13/mario-williams-hints-at-undisclosed-injury/)

classic

Double Barrel
09-14-2012, 11:39 AM
classic

Turns out he was not using an ergonomical pen when he was endorsing one of his big-ass paychecks. That'll learn him!

Rey
09-14-2012, 01:34 PM
I don't know. In this defense, Mario was on track to record 15 sacks. He may very well have gotten close to 20 sacks. Add in all the hurries, pressures, & tackles for losses that would have gone along with 20 sacks in this defense. Who knows?

WOLB in Wade's defense is like a RB in the ZBS, the QB in a WCO... however good the player is, the scheme is designed to "inflate" his production.

When healthy Mario is one of the best DE in the league, even when he "takes plays off & disappear for a while."

Yeah, I disagree.

I would have loved to have him in this defense, but not for that price...even if we could afford it. He's not worth that much money when he is so often hurt and can be taken out of games so easily. He's 6'6" with a freak vert and rarely puts his hands up... Doesn't cause a lot of turnovers...has avg tackle numbers...

Not worth 100 mil even if he does occasionally dominates and gets to the qb.

thunderkyss
09-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I disagree.

I would have loved to have him in this defense, but not for that price...even if we could afford it. He's not worth that much money when he is so often hurt and can be taken out of games so easily. He's 6'6" with a freak vert and rarely puts his hands up... Doesn't cause a lot of turnovers...has avg tackle numbers...

Not worth 100 mil even if he does occasionally dominates and gets to the qb.

I agree with you there. I don't think anyone is worth that kind of money, especially after learning that the cap remained flat over the last two season & may very well be flat for the next few.

I'm shocked & concerned that we're spending $15M/yr on Schaub.

Thorn
09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm not going to start a new thread for this. But just wondering, in restrospect, if the draft could be done over again for that year, and knowing what we know now, who would you take? Mario, VY or Bush? Frankly, even though he wasn't worth the money, I'd still take Mario over VY or Bush.

And yes, I know, a better answer would be none of the above. But that isn't what I asked. LOL

The Pencil Neck
09-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm not going to start a new thread for this. But just wondering, in restrospect, if the draft could be done over again for that year, and knowing what we know now, who would you take? Mario, VY or Bush? Frankly, even though he wasn't worth the money, I'd still take Mario over VY or Bush.

And yes, I know, a better answer would be none of the above. But that isn't what I asked. LOL

DEMECO!!!!!

Actually, you could break it down like this... who are the "leaders" from that class:

Jay Cutler, QB
Maurice Jones-Drew, RB
Brandon Marshall, WR
Marques Colston, WR
Demeco Ryans, LB
Chad Greenway, LB
AJ Hawk, LB
DeAngelo Williams, RB
Nick Mangold, C
Devin Hester, PR/KR
Haloti Ngata, DT
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T
Jahri Evans, T
Tamba Hali, DE
Mario Williams, DE
Elvis Dumerville, DE
Antonio Cromartie, CB
Cortland Innegan, CB

If I had a do-over and 20-20 hindsight, I'd probably go DeMeco or MJD. If I just had to pick from the original options, I'd go Mario.

steelbtexan
09-15-2012, 07:16 PM
DEMECO!!!!!

Actually, you could break it down like this... who are the "leaders" from that class:

Jay Cutler, QB
Maurice Jones-Drew, RB
Brandon Marshall, WR
Marques Colston, WR
Demeco Ryans, LB
Chad Greenway, LB
AJ Hawk, LB
DeAngelo Williams, RB
Nick Mangold, C
Devin Hester, PR/KR
Haloti Ngata, DT
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T
Jahri Evans, T
Tamba Hali, DE
Mario Williams, DE
Elvis Dumerville, DE
Antonio Cromartie, CB
Cortland Innegan, CB

If I had a do-over and 20-20 hindsight, I'd probably go DeMeco or MJD. If I just had to pick from the original options, I'd go Mario.

Give me Ngata,Evans,Hali,Ferguson/Mangold/Cutler/Marshall/Jones-Drew and Colston over MW. Maybe even Cromartie.

The Medic01
09-15-2012, 07:34 PM
DEMECO!!!!!

Jay Cutler, QB
Maurice Jones-Drew, RB
Brandon Marshall, WR
Marques Colston, WR
Demeco Ryans, LB
Chad Greenway, LB
AJ Hawk, LB
DeAngelo Williams, RB
Nick Mangold, C
Devin Hester, PR/KR
Haloti Ngata, DT
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T
Jahri Evans, T
Tamba Hali, DE
Mario Williams, DE
Elvis Dumerville, DE
Antonio Cromartie, CB
Cortland Innegan, CB

Ngata every single time. A nightmare for offenses and IMO a FHOFer

The Pencil Neck
09-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Profootballreference.com has a "value" stat. And the player with the highest overall value from that draft class is:

Ngata.

1-32 goes like this:

1. Haloti Ngata -- 12
2. MJD -- 60
3. Jahri Evans -- 108
4. Jay Cutler -- 11
5. Greg Jennings -- 52
6. Marques Colston -- 252
7. Joseph Addai -- 30
8. Marcus McNeill -- 50
9. Brandom Marshall -- 119
10. Nick Mangold -- 29
11. Reggie Bush -- 2
12. Tamba Hali -- 20
13. Cortland Finnegan -- 215
14. D'Brickasaw Ferguson -- 4
15. Santonio Holmes -- 25
16. A.J. Hawk -- 5
17. Mario Williams -- 1
18. Vernon Davis -- 6
19. DeMeco Ryans -- 33
20. Eric Winston -- 66
21. Owen Daniels -- 98
22. Kamerion Wimbley -- 13
23. Antonio Cromartie -- 19
24. DeAngelo Williams -- 27
25. Daryn Colledge -- 47
26. Chad Greenway -- 17
27. Johnathon Joseph -- 24
28. Elvis Dumervil -- 126
29. Kyle Williams -- 134
30. Jeromey Clary -- 287
31. Charlie Johnson -- 199
32. Antoine Bethea -- 207

So, as we suspected, the Texans had a DAMNED fine draft that year, selecting 4 players who are ranked in the top 32 of that draft. And that's the best from that draft. The Saints, Colts, Packers, Broncos, and Chargers had 3 players in the top 32 from that draft.

dream_team
09-16-2012, 12:03 AM
DEMECO!!!!!

Jay Cutler, QB
Maurice Jones-Drew, RB
Brandon Marshall, WR
Marques Colston, WR
Demeco Ryans, LB
Chad Greenway, LB
AJ Hawk, LB
DeAngelo Williams, RB
Nick Mangold, C
Devin Hester, PR/KR
Haloti Ngata, DT
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T
Jahri Evans, T
Tamba Hali, DE
Mario Williams, DE
Elvis Dumerville, DE
Antonio Cromartie, CB
Cortland Innegan, CB

I'd probably go Ngata. Mario & Hali come in second. I'd have to watch some game tape on Hali before I could decide.

No way I use a #1 pick on an ILB, so no Meco. I'm also not a fan of using a top pick on a RB, since their shelf life is so low.

GP
09-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Turns out he was not using an ergonomical pen when he was endorsing one of his big-ass paychecks. That'll learn him!

I was under the impression it was from too many tweets. It's hell on your joints.

nero THE zero
09-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Profootballreference.com has a "value" stat. And the player with the highest overall value from that draft class is:

Ngata.

1-32 goes like this:

1. Haloti Ngata -- 12
2. MJD -- 60
3. Jahri Evans -- 108
4. Jay Cutler -- 11
5. Greg Jennings -- 52
6. Marques Colston -- 252
7. Joseph Addai -- 30
8. Marcus McNeill -- 50
9. Brandom Marshall -- 119
10. Nick Mangold -- 29
11. Reggie Bush -- 2
12. Tamba Hali -- 20
13. Cortland Finnegan -- 215
14. D'Brickasaw Ferguson -- 4
15. Santonio Holmes -- 25
16. A.J. Hawk -- 5
17. Mario Williams -- 1
18. Vernon Davis -- 6
19. DeMeco Ryans -- 33
20. Eric Winston -- 66
21. Owen Daniels -- 98
22. Kamerion Wimbley -- 13
23. Antonio Cromartie -- 19
24. DeAngelo Williams -- 27
25. Daryn Colledge -- 47
26. Chad Greenway -- 17
27. Johnathon Joseph -- 24
28. Elvis Dumervil -- 126
29. Kyle Williams -- 134
30. Jeromey Clary -- 287
31. Charlie Johnson -- 199
32. Antoine Bethea -- 207

So, as we suspected, the Texans had a DAMNED fine draft that year, selecting 4 players who are ranked in the top 32 of that draft. And that's the best from that draft. The Saints, Colts, Packers, Broncos, and Chargers had 3 players in the top 32 from that draft.

Addai 7th? AJ Hawk 11 spots higher than Joseph?

I call shenanigans. I'd sure like to see the formula used to derive that value.

Specnatz
09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Seriously?

I would everyone to go back and watch the steelers game. Mario played well for us. Was he worth the money? No but folks here are bad mouthing him like he was some scrub. i swear I think our fans are some of the most uneducated of fickle there is. If they are not whining about something they are not happy.

HJam72
09-17-2012, 02:26 AM
Best thing I have to say about that #1 pick is that it is over. None of those 3 players is on their original team anymore and I'm glad it's all water under the bridge. All 3 were over-hyped big time and it turns out all the arguments over who was the best were a total waist of time.

Playoffs
09-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Bills fans looking for Mario:

https://twitter.com/i/#!/search/realtime/%23MarioWilliams

gtexan02
09-30-2012, 08:35 PM
That wasn't funny, it was sad. All this excitement in Buffalo about getting a big name superstar defensive end and nothing to show for it.\

How do you let the Pats score 52 points on you? No sacks at all... jeez

Scooter
09-30-2012, 08:44 PM
hey, paying a defensive lineman with work ethic issues 100 million dollars will totally be worth it ...

/redskins, bills

Showtime100
09-30-2012, 08:47 PM
That wasn't funny, it was sad. All this excitement in Buffalo about getting a big name superstar defensive end and nothing to show for it.\

I saw a few plays late in the game today and Mario was in on the tackle and the announcer said, "Mario Williams...FINALLY." I thought maybe this was a bad sign myself...lol.

PapaL
09-30-2012, 08:47 PM

That's the problem. He has no sack at all. Hahaha

GP
09-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Bills fans looking for Mario:

https://twitter.com/i/#!/search/realtime/%23MarioWilliams

Andy Wade ‏@HouCounterplot
What does Mario Williams and Monica Lewinsky have in common? They're both screwing Bills.

:clap:

------------------------

Even an ESPN NFL analyst is in on the fun:

Steve Levy ‏@espnSteveLevy
really thought the texan's defense would miss mario williams atleast a little...not at all

------------------------

scott pianowski ‏@scott_pianowski
"Wow, we really miss Mario Williams." -- Nobody in Houston

GP
09-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Mario's twitter profile says this:

Black Buffalo Bill. Laid back on the no stress express BBWOLF AUTOSPORTS!

And I am not kidding. He's laid back on the "no stress express" alright. And seems like he's in love with his autosports too. So much money, so little time.

chicagotexan2
09-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Mario Williams - Lamborghini body, Yugo motor.

Brisco_County
09-30-2012, 10:44 PM
What the Bills are witnessing is the real spectacle that is Mario Williams: A man with the athleticism and measurables to make history, but won't commit to figuring out how. He is indeed a freak of nature in the way he will not dedicate himself to elevating his game despite possessing the physical tools to do so. The Bills didn't waste that $50 million, they bought themselves the 8th Wonder of World mediocrity.

Norg
09-30-2012, 11:28 PM
bills are getting so screwd money wise LOL

no about Connar Barwin ....... ???????

Vinny
10-01-2012, 01:51 AM
In the immortal words of Joel Buschbaum...

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane

silentassassin
10-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Honestly, serves them right. I may be holding a petty grudge, but I remember when he signed with Buffalo it wasn't enough for their fans to be excited for the signing.

Even their own GM took one. I remember (either at a press conference or a radio interview) he mentioned how they'd use him where he "belongs," and never have him drop back in coverage (as if we used him almost extensively in coverage).

Mario isn't the only one to blame for this, I'm pretty sure Dave Wannstedt has a lot more to do with why they're struggling defensively, but it's still nice to see Bills fans complain after they dogged on Houston so much after getting Mario.

Playoffs
10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Cris Carter on Mario this morning:
New England had protection problems the first three games. They didn't have those problems with Buffalo.

Mario Williams, I just don't see it. I don't see the intensity in every rep. I don't see the attitude that he wants to be a great player. To me, it's not always about the money it's about the attitude. You know, when you spend this type of money and bring a player to Buffalo, I mean, you're expecting great things... not only from a productivity standpoint but also from an energy and leadership standpoint. I don't see that from #94 in Buffalo...

In the immortal words of Joel Buschbaum...

Looks like Tarzan, plays like JaneMan. I miss Joel Buschmaum.

Tailgate
10-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Mario Millions

gtexan02
10-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Stole this line from some commentator talkign about CJ, but it applies here too:

Its hard to rush the passer when you've got a sack of money on your back

Wolf6151
10-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I honestly feel sorry for Buffalo, they've just killed their salary cap for several years to come.

Dutchrudder
10-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I honestly feel sorry for Buffalo, they've just killed their salary cap for several years to come.

It's not all that bad, they can cut him after the second year and only have to take an 11.4 million dollar hit. If they did that, they would have paid him about 33 million for two years of work. Tough caphit, but it's cheaper than the 18.4 million he's scheduled to make that third year. He has a 10 million dollar roster bonus in the third year, which I think will be the deciding factor of whether or not he stays.

houstonspartan
10-01-2012, 01:51 PM
What, exactly, did Buffalo think they were getting when they signed Mario? I ask this question in all seriousness. The line on Mario for years has been that he's very, very inconsistent. Yes, sometimes a change of scene can revive a career; but, that is not likely to happen to a player in his sixth year.

Mario is who he is.

Playoffs
10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Something to consider: I'm not so sure the NFL hasn't bypassed Wannstedt's "vanilla" defense coaching style.

Playoffs
10-01-2012, 04:51 PM
The Mario Williams Report (http://wgr550.com/The-Mario-Williams-Report/14384821)

Excerpts:
When the Buffalo Bills reached out to Mario Williams, courted him and signed him to the biggest contract in NFL history signed by a defensive player, they had to think they were getting a player that could finally help against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.
Why was he so inefficient?
What you're about to read will not only be a bit jarring, but also might make fans of the team a bit sick to their stomachs. Here is his performance against New England broken down in to numbers:

Time on Field: 89.6% snaps played, 69 total
Performance vs. Dropback Passes
Sacks - 0 (0% success rate)
QB Hurries - 2 (6.9% success rate)
Pancaked - 1

Pass Blocking Schemes Used Against
Times Double Teamed - 1
Times Chipped - 3
True 1-on-1 vs Dropback Passes - 86.2% (25 of 29)

Thoughts:
Williams was a non-factor against the pass despite facing only one double team throughout the entire game.

Performance vs. Run
Right Side (towards Williams) - 7.0 YPC, 77 yards, 0 touchdowns
Left Side (away from Williams) - 6.4 YPC, 146 yards, 3 touchdowns
Williams Stats - 2 tackles (1 TFL)

Run Blocking Schemes Used Against
Times Double Teamed - 0
Times Blocked by Tight End - 8
True 1-on-1 vs. Running Plays - 100%

Thoughts:
While the Patriots stayed away from Williams a majority of the time on the ground, the times that they did run at him they actually had a better rushing average than when they ran to the left.
All of this information begs one question. How is he not more effective for the Bills with that many one-on-one opportunities...?

read complete article: http://wgr550.com/The-Mario-Williams-Report/14384821

thunderkyss
10-01-2012, 05:34 PM
The Mario Williams Report (http://wgr550.com/The-Mario-Williams-Report/14384821)

Excerpts:

read complete article: http://wgr550.com/The-Mario-Williams-Report/14384821

One of these days I'm going to get to watch a Buffalo game & I'll be able to have my own opinion of the situation. I know, & most everyone here knows, that Mario wasn't the problem with our defense. He was the only one in our front seven able to pressure the QB for a long time. Antonio came in & there was some help, but even then, he didn't "finish" as consistently as Mario did.

Our biggest problem, when Mario was here, was our ability to defend the pass in the secondary. QBs were able to get rid of the ball in less than 2.5 seconds. No pass rush has a chance against that.

Right now, Buffalo is playing with a 2nd year player & a rookie @ CB... does that sound familiar to anyone?

Note: I'm not defending Mario. This is not an "in the defense of Mario" post. I'm only saying I need to see the games myself. Even on our worst defenses, Mario wasn't the problem. He still managed to put pressure on the QB & get double digit sacks if he was able to stay healthy. That was his biggest issue. Staying healthy.

However, I will say that I thought with Kyle Williams, Mark Anderson, & Marcell Darius, I figured they would be enough to get pressure on the QB. Unless you guys are saying all four of them a lazy worthless P.O.S. I dont' know what to tell ya. But I wouldn't hesitate to put that front four on the field.

Rey
10-01-2012, 05:51 PM
I watched the last part of the buffalo/pats game and Mario didn't look good. He has packed that weight back on and he looks like a beast, but plays regular.

6'6" and doesn't put his hands up. One time I recall Brady threw the ball right over his head and Mario never attempted to disrupt the throw.

He's not a very active, get the job done at all cost type of player.

steelbtexan
10-01-2012, 09:40 PM
One of these days I'm going to get to watch a Buffalo game & I'll be able to have my own opinion of the situation. I know, & most everyone here knows, that Mario wasn't the problem with our defense. He was the only one in our front seven able to pressure the QB for a long time. Antonio came in & there was some help, but even then, he didn't "finish" as consistently as Mario did.

Our biggest problem, when Mario was here, was our ability to defend the pass in the secondary. QBs were able to get rid of the ball in less than 2.5 seconds. No pass rush has a chance against that.

Right now, Buffalo is playing with a 2nd year player & a rookie @ CB... does that sound familiar to anyone?

Note: I'm not defending Mario. This is not an "in the defense of Mario" post. I'm only saying I need to see the games myself. Even on our worst defenses, Mario wasn't the problem. He still managed to put pressure on the QB & get double digit sacks if he was able to stay healthy. That was his biggest issue. Staying healthy.

However, I will say that I thought with Kyle Williams, Mark Anderson, & Marcell Darius, I figured they would be enough to get pressure on the QB. Unless you guys are saying all four of them a lazy worthless P.O.S. I dont' know what to tell ya. But I wouldn't hesitate to put that front four on the field.

To not be defending MW this post seems like that's exactly what you're doing.

MW is what he is. A guy that has all world ability but doesn't really care for the game of football. He does love the $$$$, cars,women etc... that football has allowed him to have.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. He's Buffalo's problem now. I'm just glad that the Texans defense is full of guys that football is their life. Talent isn't everything. (See MW)

Party on MW

TEXANRED
10-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Honestly, serves them right. I may be holding a petty grudge, but I remember when he signed with Buffalo it wasn't enough for their fans to be excited for the signing.

Even their own GM took one. I remember (either at a press conference or a radio interview) he mentioned how they'd use him where he "belongs," and never have him drop back in coverage (as if we used him almost extensively in coverage).

Mario isn't the only one to blame for this, I'm pretty sure Dave Wannstedt has a lot more to do with why they're struggling defensively, but it's still nice to see Bills fans complain after they dogged on Houston so much after getting Mario.
January 3rd 1993. Screw you bills.

Houston's revenge.

GlassHalfFull
10-01-2012, 10:13 PM
January 3rd 1993. Screw you bills.

Houston's revenge.

Best served cold.

gtexan02
10-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Best served cold.

Yeah, enjoy the winter Mario.

ChampionTexan
10-02-2012, 12:24 AM
It's not all that bad, they can cut him after the second year and only have to take an 11.4 million dollar hit. If they did that, they would have paid him about 33 million for two years of work. Tough caphit, but it's cheaper than the 18.4 million he's scheduled to make that third year. He has a 10 million dollar roster bonus in the third year, which I think will be the deciding factor of whether or not he stays.

It looks like you're omitting the $8 Million option bonus he gets for the 2013 season. That would bump up the two year cost to around $40 Million, and the cap hit (if released after year two) to about $17.6 Million (which could probably then be split 50/50) over the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

I haven't seen anything definitive on whether the 2013 bonus is guaranteed, but even if it isn't, you're scenario assumed letting him go after year two (plus essentially, being in year two, it's guaranteed from a practical standpoint if not a technical one).

thunderkyss
10-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Good riddance to bad rubbish. He's Buffalo's problem now. I'm just glad that the Texans defense is full of guys that football is their life. Talent isn't everything. (See MW)

Party on MW

Except the guy who is playing Mario's position now is being "accused" of disappearing, tanking, not putting in the effort. Jj Watt is one thing, but he's not playing the position Mario was playing.

Are we missing Mario? No, we've got a great defensive team. But, it could be better. "They" would be talking about our pass rush the way "they" talk about NYGiants if Mario was here doing what he did over the first 5 games of last season.

Season is still young. Mercilus may step up & take that WOLB spot & move Barwin where he belongs (SOLB), then everything will be everything. But right now, that position on our team is severely under-performing.

I'm watching these games & I have no idea, reasoning, for it. Our pass defense provides time for Jj Watt to get to the QB, should be enough time for an outside pass rusher (which Barwin is not). Jj & Antonio are commanding doubles, triples, chips, etc... there's no reason for Connor not to be going off, other than he's playing out of position.

Playoffs
10-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Mario also doesn't have an alpha dog mentality. He prefers to follow which is great if you have a pack of wild, defensive dogs to run with

Mario is a bull rusher who is, quite frankly, best suited to play 5-technique in a 3-4. He's not an elite pass rusher & never has been

Mario Williams is the same player now that he was before, but Bills fans thought they were getting Superman. Mario's best years were 2007/08

fiasco west
10-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Except the guy who is playing Mario's position now is being "accused" of disappearing, tanking, not putting in the effort. Jj Watt is one thing, but he's not playing the position Mario was playing.

Are we missing Mario? No, we've got a great defensive team. But, it could be better. "They" would be talking about our pass rush the way "they" talk about NYGiants if Mario was here doing what he did over the first 5 games of last season.

Season is still young. Mercilus may step up & take that WOLB spot & move Barwin where he belongs (SOLB), then everything will be everything. But right now, that position on our team is severely under-performing.

I'm watching these games & I have no idea, reasoning, for it. Our pass defense provides time for Jj Watt to get to the QB, should be enough time for an outside pass rusher (which Barwin is not). Jj & Antonio are commanding doubles, triples, chips, etc... there's no reason for Connor not to be going off, other than he's playing out of position.

Not a single doubt in my mind that if we still had Mario that he'd easily have 3 or 4 sacks if not more by now.

For his career he should have done all he could to stay here, remain on a top defense. I think he would have made that money back in satisfaction and lifelong endorsements trying to help build a legendary defense here. Him, Watt, Cushing could have been like Ngata,Lewis, Scott.

Coaches in the NFL are huge, that's really all there is to it. (Just look at the Saints...Patriots remain consistent because of their great coach.) Buffalo has a lot of talent on that dline and no one gets pressure.

I wish they would have worked something out with him here. I don't understand how the Eagles are able to manage the cap so well...but yeah if he was still here he'd have more sacks then he has and really I always felt like he was better against the run. I think our run defense is mainly missing Demeco but also Mario has always been good against the run.

Carr Bombed
10-02-2012, 01:11 PM

Outside of 5 games in a contract season Mario Williams was just a dog during the majority of his time in Houston.. and no, when he played with Smith along the line, he never "finished more consistently"... never. Fans overrate the hell out of sacks.. give me a guy who plays with all out effort when he's on the field, supplies pressure and may or may not get a sack over a guy who'll get a sack and then become casper the friendly gohst the rest of the game. Antonio Smith was our best defensive lineman the moment he stepped on the field.

I said it before last season ended.. we don't need to sign Mario Williams and it would be a waste of money for the amount it was going to take to bring him back. I don't think he's lazy.. I just don't think he cares. He's kind of like the David Carr of DEs, he lacks motivation. He doesn't have the fire in his belly.. if he loses or wins it doesn't effect him any differently.. It's the reason why he chose to sign in Buffalo when he could've took a little less money and signed with a number of winning franchises.. the guy flat out does not care about wins and losses. He'll cash his check and go home just the same.

It's the reason why our 2nd year DE already has a extensive array of pass rushing moves, is already more polished than Mario ever will be, and has a greater motor and plays with more effort than Mario ever will. Mario is blessed with rare physical skills, skills that should allow him to challenge Watt in the sack department, but he never wanted to put in the work.. which is the reason why he's still only rocking that lame bull rush or his signature move where he tries to run around the tackle and he just runs himself out of the play. Mario Williams is nothing, but a tinman.. He has no heart.

As far as Barwin goes, I haven't seen anybody accuse him of tanking or not putting in the effort. Does he have any sacks, No, but since he's in a contract year I highly doubt it's due to a lack of trying. I've seen him around the QB multiple times. You also say his natural position is at SOLB.. he only had 1 sack through the first 5 games last season and Brooks Reed is playing fine over there, I'd rather leave things alone. Mario Williams only has 1 sack, by the end of season Barwin will pass him and this will all be a moot point.

ThaShark316
10-02-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm watching the 1st game (Bills/Jets) :

Mario is trying bull rush moves vs the Jets Ts. Every time he notices it DOESN'T work, he'd literally stop going. "**** it, I can't beat him". Stops fighting once his "move" didn't work. He beat #77 Austin Howard once, late in the 1st half.

Carr Bombed
10-02-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm watching the 1st game (Bills/Jets) :

Mario is trying bull rush moves vs the Jets Ts. Every time he notices it DOESN'T work, he'd literally stop going. "**** it, I can't beat him". Stops fighting once his "move" didn't work. He beat #77 Austin Howard once, late in the 1st half.

I watched a highlight of the Patriots massacre, there was one play where the Pats ran away from him and he was disengaged from his blocker. Instead of hussling and trailing the play (you never know what can happen, fumble, anything) like "Big Earl" did with Kendall Wright.. He literally stood straight up, turned around, and just watched the RB run into the endzone. Mario Williams' motor sucks, there's a LOT of quit in that guy. Frankly I'm glad he's gone. I'd hate to see how he would've played here with a 100 million dollar contract.

ThaShark316
10-02-2012, 03:21 PM
I watched a highlight of the Patriots massacre, there was one play where the Pats ran away from him and he was disengaged from his blocker. Instead of hussling and trailing the play (you never know what can happen, fumble, anything) like "Big Earl" did with Kendall Wright.. He literally stood straight up, turned around, and just watched the RB run into the endzone. Mario Williams' motor sucks, there's a LOT of quit in that guy. Frankly I'm glad he's gone. I'd hate to see how he would've played here with a 100 million dollar contract.

On the first drive vs. NYJ, he was stopping (like you said) and stood there like "nah, they got it".

Carr Bombed
10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Check this thread out..

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?433473-Mario-Fans-have-a-right-to-be-angry

Bills fans ain't happy, they want a refund. :) After the 35-3 "Choke job" they deserve every misfortune that comes their team's way.

ThaShark316
10-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Mario was more...active I'll say, in the games vs. KC and CLE. Had a few pressures. Nothing that would WOW you, but doing much more than the NYJ game. When it's available to me, I'll check the NE game.

EDIT: His sack vs. CLE, he got a good jump off the snap and basically went around the RT...kind of alluding to what folks were saying in this thread. Another thing...on that same drive, TE Ben Watson (smh) stonewalled Mario. That hurt to watch. Watson ain't even a good blocker.

CloakNNNdagger
10-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Mario was more...active I'll say, in the games vs. KC and CLE. Had a few pressures. Nothing that would WOW you, but doing much more than the NYJ game. When it's available to me, I'll check the NE game.

EDIT: His sack vs. CLE, he got a good jump off the snap and basically went around the RT...kind of alluding to what folks were saying in this thread. Another thing...on that same drive, TE Ben Watson (smh) stonewalled Mario. That hurt to watch. Watson ain't even a good blocker.

Unfortunate, Mario's only move to date has remained simply trying to run around the outside of the D. He has not seemed to effectively add any other moves in all his years in the league. And now with money in hand........he doesn't need to.

Carr Bombed
10-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Unfortunate, Mario's only move to date has remained simply trying to run around the outside of the D. He has not seemed to effectively add any other moves in all his years in the league. And now with money in hand........he doesn't need to.

You forgot his dreaded "steer rush" move. :)

steelbtexan
10-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Jethro Franklin tried to motivate MW to learn new pass rush moves and make him go all out every play he was on the field.

Result: Franklin got fired. MW is a certified coach killer, how many DL coaches were here during MW time here? 3-4? That says something.

But, you continue on Fiddler/TK, you can throw up hypotheticals all you want. But the film doesn't lie.

A reincarnation of Vince Lombardi couldn't motivate MW into being the player he could be.

Texan_Bill
10-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Which is ironic because after 4 games this season he as the same number of PD's as he did last year in about 4 1/2 games.

Buffalo is a FAIL on so many levels.

thunderkyss
10-04-2012, 08:52 AM
But, you continue on Fiddler/TK, you can throw up hypotheticals all you want. But the film doesn't lie.

The "film" is subjective. Just like they're saying Arian makes it look effortless, but you see the 1600 rushing yards & you gotta give him his props. Mario may not "Look" like Jj Watt or Jared Allen, but he got results.

cuppacoffee
10-04-2012, 11:22 AM
The "film" is subjective. Just like they're saying Arian makes it look effortless, but you see the 1600 rushing yards & you gotta give him his props. Mario may not "Look" like Jj Watt or Jared Allen, but he got results.

Reminds me a lot of the idiocy one of our posters displayed defending Travis Johnson while he was here.

What a fool he was.:D (me)

Funny how people will sift through our past games to find one where MW made a play.

It is an exercise in futility to even try to compare MW to Watt.

:coffee:

Double Barrel
10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Did anyone catch the "Off The Mark" segment with Mark Schlereth on NFL Live yesterday?

He slammed Mario hard. Basically showed a bunch of play where Mario was getting dominated, including one where he couldn't even get past a TE. Mark asked what $100 million gets you. His answer? BLOCKED!! lol!

Playoffs
10-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Did anyone catch the "Off The Mark" segment with Mark Schlereth on NFL Live yesterday?Stink is about as honest/straightforward as you can get.

Double Barrel
10-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Stink is about as honest/straightforward as you can get.

In that same segment, Mark also slammed Titan Leroy Harris for his remarks about JJ Watt. He did a little math and said that game times 16 would be 32 sacks for a season. His attitude about Harris was that he was basically a dumbass for saying anything about Watt when he was clearing being dominated by JJ.

TheIronDuke
10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Reading the Bills MB is funny. Now they're going around comparing MW's first 4 games to Julius Peppers' first 4 games in Chicago and are using that as proof that MW is going to be a bad ass like Peppers. Those poor, poor people. :lol:

welsh texan
10-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Kinda weird watching this pan out, I'd excused the lesser performances from Mario all this time and I think a lot of people round here, myself included, made up excuses for him that weren't really there.

Hurts a bit to suddenly see it from an outside perspective and come to the realisation that this guy simply isn't putting the effort in, whether that be in training, on the field, in the film room, he's allowing his natural skills to just about get him by and not doing anything more than necessary.

Doubtless he'll have the odd big game here and there, especially on primetime, that will make his numbers look respectable for the season, but this guy should be up there with the likes of Peppers in sack numbers year in year out and isn't.

TexansSeminole
10-04-2012, 02:27 PM
In all honesty, it looks to me like that defensive coaching staff is not very good. They have some decently talented defensive guys on that roster and should be much better than they are.

HJam72
10-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Eventually, Mario will dominate in one game (that the Bills would have won anyway against a bad team), get 4 sacks to total like 6 on the year....and then have a season ending injury...

THAT is Mario Williams.

welsh texan
10-04-2012, 03:38 PM
In all honesty, it looks to me like that defensive coaching staff is not very good. They have some decently talented defensive guys on that roster and should be much better than they are.

I do kind of see that side of the story. You could certainly say that was his reason for never dominating here either, he never got a decent DC to make use of him until his last 5 1/2 games in Houston.

I'll never ever think any less of a guy in his position taking the most money available to him in a short career, but he had the option to stay with the right DC for him OR he could have gone somewhere with another good DC and chose not to. Maybe his breakout last season was simply him playing for his fat contract. We may never find out.

Still I'd prefer to see him come good than carry on like this.

Vinny
10-04-2012, 03:40 PM
In all honesty, it looks to me like that defensive coaching staff is not very good. They have some decently talented defensive guys on that roster and should be much better than they are.Dave Wannstedt has always coached good to excellent defenses...he has a long resume of quality defensive production although he makes a miserable head coach.

Goldensilence
10-04-2012, 03:42 PM
I was in the "let Mario walk" crowd and it's pretty much playing out like most of us suspected. Texans D chugs on, Mario struggles in Buffalo.

Really I thought it was crazy for anyone who has been paying attention to his on the field play to throw him that kind of cash. However, I knew someone would, thankfully it was Buffalo, whom I still hold a grudge against. So it worked out well.

houstonspartan
10-04-2012, 05:22 PM

Yeah, but, at some point, Mario's gotta bring a veteran's attitude to the game, regardless of the defensive staff and coaching. Yes, the coaching, scheme and staff ARE vitally important, but, Mario doesn't seem to bring anything at all to the table, other than size.

He's in his sixth year. And we're still saying, "The coaches are not using him right!"

Come on.

ajohnson80
10-04-2012, 06:10 PM
well he did look amazing in wade's system before he got hurt

Vinny
10-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Yeah, but, at some point, Mario's gotta bring a veteran's attitude to the game, regardless of the defensive staff and coaching. Yes, the coaching, scheme and staff ARE vitally important, but, Mario doesn't seem to bring anything at all to the table, other than size.

He's in his sixth year. And we're still saying, "The coaches are not using him right!"

Come on.one good example...Andre Johnson was good under Capers...good under Kubiak. Superstars should be good with just about any coach. Players that need "good coaching" to bring their "A" game are not superstars even though they may still be paid like one.

infantrycak
10-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Come on.

one good example...Andre Johnson was good under Capers...good under Kubiak. Superstars should be good with just about any coach. Players that need "good coaching" to bring their "A" game are not superstars even though they may still be paid like one.

I am going to relate this not because of Mario but the overall Bills coaching issue. Donte Whitner just had an interview about how the Bills have plenty of talent on D but the coaches don't know how to use it. Having gone from the Bills to the Niners he has some perspective.

utahmark
10-04-2012, 11:06 PM
The NFL is a coaches league. Just look at our defensive transformation or San Francisco whole team transformation last year. That being said it's usually the borderline talent that showes the most improvement with better coaching. Not the star players.

Mario seems to have checked out there was a time when he was the only player we had getting any pressure on the qb. I never thougt he was 100 mil man but for a while he was the best we had.

ChrisG
10-05-2012, 05:18 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20121003/SPORTS03/310030048/Mario-Williams-wrist-injury-Buffalo-Bills?nclick_check=1

Although he has not appeared on the Bills’ injury report at any point during the first four weeks of the season, nor has he missed any practice time, Mario Williams said Wednesday his sore left wrist is hindering his play.

I have nothing against Mario. But it sounds just like when he was in Houston. Needless to say Buffalo fans around here are not happy and think this is just Mario not taking responsibility and not putting in the effort.

Goldensilence
10-07-2012, 10:29 AM
To piggyback on Chris' Post via ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8474280/sources-nfl-checks-injury-buffalo-bills-mario-williams

Looks like his cover story for part of his struggles is at least gaining league attention in a very unfavorable way.

If anyone watched countdown's "eye on the Sky" segment this morning they showed Mario getting man handled by....Gronk in N.E. ... ONE one ONE. If Mario is supposedly an elite pass rusher should never be able to be taken on by a TE.

CloakNNNdagger
10-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Despite all of Mario's excuses of poor performance due to a wrist injury that he supposedly sustained in the preseason, it's never shown up on the Bills Injury Report. This is despite the fact that, if you've been watching (I have) he has been wearing a wrist cast for the past 3 games. BTW, a player at Mario's position (as opposed obviously to a skilled position player) should not in any way be significantly impacted with the presence of a wrist cast. There is no reason that he cannot grab or push or wrap a QB an O player. In fact, if he hasn't yet, he could learn to soften up his opponent by clubbing him once in while when the refs aren't paying attention.

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/350x-311-e1349316111774.jpg?w=226

NFL probes Bills' injury reporting (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8474280/sources-nfl-checks-injury-buffalo-bills-mario-williams)

The NFL is investigating why Williams, who landed $50 million in guaranteed money this offseason, has publicly complained about his wrist as recently as last week, yet he still is not on Buffalo's injury report, sources said.

The Bills said Williams has not missed any practice reps and there never was a doubt he would play in each game.

Yet the NFL's injury report policy says "significant or noteworthy injuries must be listed" regardless.

"Even if the player takes all the reps in practice, and even if the team is certain that he will play in the upcoming game," the rule states. "This is especially true of key players and those players whose injuries have been covered extensively by the media. ... This policy is of paramount importance in maintaining the integrity of the NFL."

Now, if he's the Bills defense is that he is not really injured......that he just likes wearing the cast, maybe he should make it identifiable as "ornamental" by having it gold plated or diamond-studded like his ear rings.

NastyNate
10-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Mario should pickup his game checks with a ski mask on. He's straight robbing the Bills.

gtexan02
10-07-2012, 05:06 PM
49ers are having their way with the Bills defense right now. Alex Smith has a perfect passer rating. No pressure from the 100 million dollar man

Playoffs
10-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Chris Wesseling ‏@ChrisWesseling
#Bills are the first team since the 1950 New York Yanks to surrender 550+ yards in back-to-back games. #Wannstedt

TexanExile
10-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Huh? I didn't even know you could get plantar fasciitis in your wrist.

Or was it turf toe? Or...or...

:kitten:

Wolf
10-07-2012, 07:49 PM
he had 2 tackles today .. so no worries :kitten:

gtexan02
10-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Pitiful display by the Bills defense today. Williams is terrible

PapaL
10-07-2012, 10:17 PM
No sack...still

gtexan02
10-07-2012, 10:24 PM
No sack...still

He has 1.5 sacks...

TheIronDuke
10-08-2012, 07:42 AM
He has 1.5 sacks...

All coming against the Browns by the way. Williams has performed A LOT worse than I thought he would.

HJam72
10-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Buffalo Bills say: We don't know why Mario claims to have injuries that he doesn't have or why he wears a cast on gameday. We just know that we are paying him a $^!+load of money and we let him do whatever he has to do to try and become worth it. We suspect we been screwed...

Houston say: Hahahahahaahahahahahahhahahaaha!!!

GP
10-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Boy they sure were all mouthy when Mario signed.

How many sound bites or tweets did the Bills staff or players produce, talking about how tough they were going to be with Mario??? LMAO.

Bills can suffer. I know we sure did, specifically our loss to them in playoffs. Yeah, they can suffer for all I care. And to know our former player is draining them of $100 million? Icing on the cake.

Thorn
10-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Buffalo Bills say: We don't know why Mario claims to have injuries that he doesn't have or why he wears a cast on gameday. We just know that we are paying him a $^!+load of money and we let him do whatever he has to do to try and become worth it. We suspect we been screwed...

Houston say: Hahahahahaahahahahahahhahahaaha!!!

pretty much........LOL

Txn_in_Oki
10-08-2012, 10:04 AM
To piggyback on Chris' Post via ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8474280/sources-nfl-checks-injury-buffalo-bills-mario-williams

Looks like his cover story for part of his struggles is at least gaining league attention in a very unfavorable way.

If anyone watched countdown's "eye on the Sky" segment this morning they showed Mario getting man handled by....Gronk in N.E. ... ONE one ONE. If Mario is supposedly an elite pass rusher should never be able to be taken on by a TE.

Didn't they show him getting manhandled by a TE last week also?

Goldensilence
10-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Didn't they show him getting manhandled by a TE last week also?

From what I remember I know it showed Gronk (who isn't exactly known for his blocking prowess) taking Williams out of the play completely, twice.

All I know is this for any elite outside puss rusher you should never been able just put a TE on him and be ok....ever. You could never do that to Terrell Suggs, Peppers, Clay Matthews,Osi, etc etc.

Maybe as another poster pointed out about Whitner's time in Buffalo vs going to the Niners saying the staff is clueless is valid. I mean they do have some talent on the line or at least have sunk some high picks and money into it.

Errant Hothy
10-08-2012, 04:34 PM
The best moment of Mario's time in Houston was on 4/28/2006 when this board nearly imploded when the news broke that the pick would not be VY or Reggie.

:sarcasm:

Dutchrudder
10-08-2012, 04:55 PM
I just hope the Bills don't go into this offseason thinking they need to hire Wade Phillips as HC to come and fix their 100 million dollar man.

TheIronDuke
10-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Has a team ever re-hired a coach after firing him?

Wolf
10-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I want to say yes, but can't remember who did it

ESAD2-14
10-08-2012, 09:11 PM

I think Art Shell.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-09-2012, 12:21 AM
George Allen - LA Rams

Norg
10-09-2012, 02:12 AM
looks reggie bush was the better pick .....

thunderkyss
10-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Didn't the Chargers hire Norv Turner twice? or the Skins?

PapaL
10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
He has 1.5 sacks...

You misunderstand...I'm not referencing the tackling of a QB behind the LOS. More so a shot at lack of his testicular fortitude and lack of being a game breaker.

PapaL
10-09-2012, 06:34 PM
looks reggie bush was the better pick .....

I don't know what Reggie is on, but I want whatever he's taking. After all these years he's finally become a real RB. I'm seriously amazed.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 10:36 AM
More than 1 very smart football person liked Mario as a free agent, but I think they all simply fall in love with size and potential.

Mario looks stiffer and slower than at any point in his career and his patented "run into blocker and stay engaged" is back

The Bills are going to rue the contract they gave Mario Williams. Watched 3 games on him and he looks worse than at any time w/ HOU

Wolf
10-20-2012, 05:47 PM
NFL fines Bills $20,000 for not reporting Mario Williams injuryhttp://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/10/nfl-fines-bills-20000-for-not-reporting-mario-williams-injury.html

Playoffs
10-23-2012, 08:50 AM
• Mario Williams said he doesn’t care what we think about his performance. Truthfully, there hasn’t been a performance to care about. Let’s call it now — this guy is soft, and the Bills have apparently whiffed to the tune of $100 million. He was invisible yet again. He said in the locker room he needs to get better. You know what, he was supposed to already be better when he got here. He was supposed to be one of the best in the league. He’s not, and the team he left, Houston, is now 6-1 without him.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20121021/SPORTS0106/310210077/Maiorana-Excuses-losing-grow-tired

This is where we mention that defensive end Mario Williams, Nix’s $100-million investment that’s looking like Facebook stock, was nowhere to be found in terms of rushing the quarterback, the job he was hired to do in crunch-time situations like this.

Williams finished with two tackles and as many zeros across the rest of his stat line as there are on his paychecks. A guy named Kyle Moore had a better game with a half sack and two QB hits.
As for Stupor Mario, I’m wondering if Nix and his personnel men did enough vetting of the man’s personality and resume to decide he was worth the price of 20 players. He gets single blocked most all of the time and taking a leadership role doesn’t seem to be in his nature.

“I don’t care about your expectations,’’ he said to the media gathered near his locker stall. “I don’t care about anybody’s expectations.’’

Wow, Mario. Maybe it would please you to know that our expectations of you and the Bills have changed a lot in seven weeks. They have returned to the place they have been for a decade: low.http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20121021/SPORTS0103/310210074/Leo-Roth-Buffalo-Bills-have-plenty-of-names-to-play-blame-games?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CSPORTS&nclick_check=1

GP
10-23-2012, 10:02 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20121021/SPORTS0106/310210077/Maiorana-Excuses-losing-grow-tired

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20121021/SPORTS0103/310210074/Leo-Roth-Buffalo-Bills-have-plenty-of-names-to-play-blame-games?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CSPORTS&nclick_check=1

“I don’t care about your expectations,’’ he said to the media gathered near his locker stall. “I don’t care about anybody’s expectations.’’

Wow, Mario. Maybe it would please you to know that our expectations of you and the Bills have changed a lot in seven weeks. They have returned to the place they have been for a decade: low.

And there's the Mario we know so very well: The non-leader who is out only for himself and to hell with anybody who dares mention the "E word"...Expectations.

Couldn't have gone to a better team, the Bills. Reverse curse. :goodluck:

Playoffs
10-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Not so subtle callout of MW by teammate:

Chris Kelsay: Buffalo Bills Not "Playing Hard Every Snap" (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000083946/article/bills-kelsay-calls-out-teammates-for-lack-of-effort)"You watch the film, and not everybody was playing hard every snap, and that's unacceptable. ...

"If you aren't going to give us everything you've got, you shouldn't be on the field. I don't care who you are..."

Those are strong words from the longest-tenured Bill. Speculation immediately will start in Buffalo about who he's talking about, and two big-name players on the defensive line -- Marcell Dareus and Mario Williams -- haven't played well this season. Not many Bills defenders have played well; they are 31st in yards allowed and points allowed. It's not easy to give up 35 points to the Titans.

"You're only as good as the effort you put forth. I don't care who it is," Kelsay said. "I'd take Mario Williams at full health and full speed probably over anybody else in the league. At the same time, I'd take Sean Ferguson, who we cut, over a guy that's playing 50 percent, and I think our coaches would, too. The playmakers have to make plays, and the way you do that is giving all-out effort every play."

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq226/playenatural/Smilies/smiley-whacky086.gif

pirbroke
10-23-2012, 11:07 AM
I kinda thought once Mario got paid he may slack off some, but I never expected a Albert Haynesworth type fall. Now I wonder when his little wrist heals if he ever comes back to at least playing good every third game. nah

thunderkyss
10-23-2012, 12:56 PM

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20121021/SPORTS0103/310210074/Leo-Roth-Buffalo-Bills-have-plenty-of-names-to-play-blame-games?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CSPORTS&nclick_check=1

I know some of you think it's a small thing. I think it's huge. A Gary Kubiak player would never say anything like that to the media. It makes it very difficult for a coach to bring in a new culture when they are having to deal with these kind of things.

Mr teX
10-23-2012, 01:14 PM
I know some of you think it's a small thing. I think it's huge. A Gary Kubiak player would never say anything like that to the media. It makes it very difficult for a coach to bring in a new culture when they are having to deal with these kind of things.

To a certain extent a player has to be like that...these guys don't get to where they are without that kind of attitude....meaning having their own expectations of themselves rather than what the media thinks.......however, you absolutely never come out & say it...

At the end of the day If the contract he signed there hastens the move of that franchise from buffalo to LA....hey:shrug:

Wolf6151
10-23-2012, 02:56 PM
• Mario Williams said he doesn’t care what we think about his performance. Truthfully, there hasn’t been a performance to care about. Let’s call it now — this guy is soft, and the Bills have apparently whiffed to the tune of $100 million. He was invisible yet again. He said in the locker room he needs to get better. You know what, he was supposed to already be better when he got here. He was supposed to be one of the best in the league. He’s not, and the team he left, Houston, is now 6-1 without him.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ing-grow-tired

THANK YOU RICK SMITH.

gwallaia
10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
We should have drafted Vince!:kitten:

Playoffs
10-23-2012, 06:12 PM
We should have drafted Vince!:kitten:
Yeah!.......wai...................wut? http://www.palyne.com/talk/Smileys/palyne/scratchhead.gif

Texecutioner
10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ing-grow-tired

THANK YOU RICK SMITH.

Why in the world does Rick Smith get thanked for that? Rick Smith wanted him back. Rick Smith doesn't deserve any credit for not resigning one of the worst deals in NFL history.

Hell 90% of this site desperately wanted Rick Smith to sign Mario where he'd be our problem for several years.

Carr Bombed
10-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Why in the world does Rick Smith get thanked for that? Rick Smith wanted him back. Rick Smith doesn't deserve any credit for not resigning one of the worst deals in NFL history.

Hell 90% of this site desperately wanted Rick Smith to sign Mario where he'd be our problem for several years.

Rick Smith did not want him back... not at that price. Your post is unfair to what actually happened. What somebody says in front of a camera ("we want Mario back") and what actually happens behind closed doors is two seperate things. He said all the P.R. things in front of a camera, but never backed up a brinks truck. If this was someone like Watt, Rick Smith would've moved heaven and earth and Duane Brown or Matt Schaub would've been franchised and the other probably would've been a FA. Yes Smith would've taken him back.. at the right price. When his street value went through the roof (same thing happened with Nnambi) Smith cut bait and I thank him for that.

Being a good G.M. is like being a good card player.. you have to maximize your returns and know when to hold'em and when to fold'em. Rick Smith laid down his cards and folded on Mario Williams, so yes.. he does get credit for not signing one of the worst deals in NFL history.

Goldensilence
10-23-2012, 08:29 PM
To a certain extent a player has to be like that...these guys don't get to where they are without that kind of attitude....meaning having their own expectations of themselves rather than what the media thinks.......however, you absolutely never come out & say it...

At the end of the day If the contract he signed there hastens the move of that franchise from buffalo to LA....hey:shrug:

Highly doubt Buffalo gets moved they're still well supported and there's some good history there.

If I had money on who would get moved to LA its on Tarpsvi.... err Jacksonville. Little history, no length of time in NFL, blackout and attendance problems... yeah. I think it's a matter of time before they are moved.

Now... do I think LA deserves a team... HELL NO.

Texecutioner
10-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Rick Smith did not want him back... not at that price. Your post is unfair to what actually happened. What somebody says in front of a camera ("we want Mario back") and what actually happens behind closed doors is two seperate things. He said all the P.R. things in front of a camera, but never backed up a brinks truck. If this was someone like Watt, Rick Smith would've moved heaven and earth and Duane Brown or Matt Schaub would've been franchised and the other probably would've been a FA. Yes Smith would've taken him back.. at the right price. When his street value went through the roof (same thing happened with Nnambi) Smith cut bait and I thank him for that.

Being a good G.M. is like being a good card player.. you have to maximize your returns and know when to hold'em and when to fold'em. Rick Smith laid down his cards and folded on Mario Williams, so yes.. he does get credit for not signing one of the worst deals in NFL history.

Not fair my ass. I said that he didn't deserve a thank you for making a no-brainer decision which was to not make one of the worst deals in NFL history that the Bills made. He did express strong interest in wanting to bring him back. I don't care what physco babble you want to speculate that he felt behind closed doors. Not signing Mario was an easy decision. A very easy one. We had the best defense we ever fielded without him in the lineup. It would have been horrifically stupid to sign Mario at even a good price after how well this team played without Mario. Plus, it became very clear that the Texans were in cap hell any way. So, to suggest he deserves credit here is being totally disengenious.

Carr Bombed
10-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Not fair my ass. I said that he didn't deserve a thank you for making a no-brainer decision which was to not make one of the worst deals in NFL history that the Bills made. He did express strong interest in wanting to bring him back. I don't care what physco babble you want to speculate that he felt behind closed doors. Not signing Mario was an easy decision. A very easy one. We had the best defense we ever fielded without him in the lineup. It would have been horrifically stupid to sign Mario at even a good price after how well this team played without Mario. Plus, it became very clear that the Texans were in cap hell any way. So, to suggest he deserves credit here is being totally disengenious.

Hey *******, what I typed wasn't "physco babble". Just because people don't want to be so condesending as you towards the way Rick Smith handled the situation or doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't give you the right to be a dick.

Rick Smith did NOTHING WRONG. He did his due diligence and when Mario priced himself out of where Smith felt he was worth, Smith cut bait. That isn't psycho babble.. it's what actually happened. Rick Smith handled the situation perfectly and I give him credit.. and this is coming from someone who never wanted to bring Mario back.

Carr Bombed
10-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Not fair my ass.. He did express strong interest in wanting to bring him back. I don't care what physco babble you want to speculate that he felt behind closed doors.

P.S.

Here's a article debunking your "physco babble" about Rick Smith's supposed "strong interest" in bringing Mario Williams back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/no-serious-discussions-between-texans-mario-williams/

TheIronDuke
10-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Sound familiar to anyone? Mario considering wrist surgery before his homecoming game.

Mario Williams said yesterday he didn’t care about anyone’s expectations.

Those expectations may be about to adjust downward.

According to Tim Graham of the Buffalo News, Williams is considering surgery on his left wrist during the bye week.

After signing a six-year contract this offseason worth up to $100 million, Williams has been good, not great. His 3.5 sacks are 32nd in the NFL, which is fine, except for those pesky expectations.

“I need to play better, and I need to get healthy,” Williams said after Sunday’s game. “It’s No. 1 on my point.

“I can say this and you can take it however you want to take it, but it really don’t matter to me. I really don’t care what you think. At the end of the day I know I need to get physically back into things so I’m not hesitating.”

The Bills didn’t comment on the report of surgery, but coach Chan Gailey has said he was vague about injuries on purpose. It was at least hurt enough to trigger a $20,000 fine for violating the league’s policy on reporting injuries.

“He’s the one that’s got to answer to that,” Gailey said. “I can’t tell you whether he’s being affected by it at all, or a little bit, or what it is. I can’t tell.”

If he has surgery and misses any time, it’ll be easy to tell. Then again, maybe it won’t.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Texan_Bill
10-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Spot on, repped... Sometimes Tex has a bit of revisionist historian flowing through his veins!!

TexanExile
10-24-2012, 09:04 AM
I haven't wished any ill will on Mario since he left. But if he suddenly undergoes surgery and conveniently misses the big homecoming party against the Texans, I will have to laugh. A lot.

But on the other hand, that would be coincidental, because he honestly doesn't "care about anybody's expectations." Even for "Judgment Day."

TheIronDuke
10-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Maybe this will be his excuse for getting 1 tackle in his big homecoming debut? Then it'll show how tough he is for playing when he needed surgery but he played through pain? Might want to get his ovaries checked while they're looking at his limp wrist.

GP
10-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Is there a chance we could line up JJ Watt opposite of Mario for the first series?

I'd love to see JJ Watt block Mario and talk smack to him for one series. Wouldn't that be awesome? Watt was a former TE so I know he has some blocking skills. Talk about getting into Mario's head! LOL.

GP
10-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Come to think of it, since Watt was a TE at one time, I'd like to see us go with a Jumbo TE package that includes JJ Watt.

Can you imagine the look on the faces of the defensive players if that happened???

fiasco west
10-24-2012, 10:43 AM
I was looking forward to seeing Mario again. Sounds like he's actually hurt. It would explain his play as of late. It seems he tries to often play through injuries and when he does people think he's using them as a excuse. There were times here he was hurt and looked bad likely because he was playing through a injury.

If it is a wrist it must be hard for him punch and push on a limpy wrist I could imagine that being a pretty huge factor in his play.

I don't believe that Mario is just content now that he has the money...I mean he was drafted on the old NFL rules and was paid from day one. I think Mario is just a player that is going to depend on his coach...good thing he went to a irrelevant team. I can't imagine anyone scoring on Chicago had he been smart and went there.

TheIronDuke
10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
You don't think it's a little fishy he's getting some wrist surgery right before his big judgement day game? From what I'm gathering on the Bills board, he didn't complain at all about his wrist when he got 2 sacks against the Cardinals, it only pops up after a terrible non-impactful performance. Which he's had most of his time in Buffalo.

fiasco west
10-24-2012, 10:57 AM
No I don't think it's fishy. Is he going to wait until after the game? Perhaps that last game he just decided enough was enough and he can't be effective for his team this way?

pirbroke
10-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Come to think of it, since Watt was a TE at one time, I'd like to see us go with a Jumbo TE package that includes JJ Watt.

Can you imagine the look on the faces of the defensive players if that happened???

Ohh man I think your on to something, JJ would probably be one of the best TE's in the NFL also.

TheIronDuke
10-24-2012, 11:10 AM
No I don't think it's fishy. Is he going to wait until after the game? Perhaps that last game he just decided enough was enough and he can't be effective for his team this way?

Or he can man up and play through an injured wrist? Lots of players somehow play with their hands in a cast, especially defensive linemen and LB's. Hell, some even use it to their advantage.

Playoffs
10-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Interior DLs can get by with a clubbed hand/wrist, but edge rushers use their hands to toss guys aside. There's a lot of grabbing on both sides of the ball.

It's just a bit odd that this wasn't addressed sooner. You's think they would've tried a wrist stabilizing cast of some sort.

TheIronDuke
10-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Interior DLs can get by with a clubbed hand/wrist, but edge rushers use their hands to toss guys aside. There's a lot of grabbing on both sides of the ball.

It's just a bit odd that this wasn't addressed sooner. You's think they would've tried a wrist stabilizing cast of some sort.

Von Miller's played in a cast for awhile though so it can be done. I just think the timing is very suspicious.

Texan_Bill
10-24-2012, 11:55 AM
You don't think it's a little fishy he's getting some wrist surgery right before his big judgement day game? From what I'm gathering on the Bills board, he didn't complain at all about his wrist when he got 2 sacks against the Cardinals, it only pops up after a terrible non-impactful performance. Which he's had most of his time in Buffalo.

No I don't think it's fishy. I think it's Marion's MO. I mean, when has not been playing through a "built-in excuse" errrrrrrrrrrrrrr nagging injury??

CloakNNNdagger
10-24-2012, 12:52 PM

Williams has been wearing a wrist cast which allows him prehensile abilities.......that is, the ability to grab and hold. If he has surgery, it is most likely going to be arthroscopic. Although the protective period for wrist tendon surgery is ~4-6 weeks, he will probably be able to return to play with a protective cast within ~1-2 weeks or so depending on what was performed. Wrist tendon surgery in itself creates a very minimal period of pain, maybe 24-48 hours at best, which is easily controlled with typical pain medication. He will likely play with at least a protective splint if not a cast during games for the rest of the season.

BTW, Mario is scheduled to see a wrist specialist today.

houstonspartan
10-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Good point. I agree.

If you guys REALLY want to see a sure sign of "We want you back," wait until JJ Watt's contract is up in a few years. It'll be monumental.

As for Buffalo, all I can do is shake my head. What were they thinking? None of this is new regarding Mario.

Someone in Buffalo should be fired.

CloakNNNdagger
10-24-2012, 05:27 PM
From Buffalobills.com (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Mario-Williams-undergoes-left-wrist-procedure/648efa4a-2eed-47e4-80d3-b0bca6bf006d)........Mario underwent surgery today......expected to play in game after Bye.

thunderkyss
10-24-2012, 05:36 PM
For the record, I still side with the big guy. I don't think he insulted the Texans in any way by chosing to play in Buffalo. I do not think his stat line is indicative of his play or his ability. I never thought he "took plays off" or that he didn't give his all on every play.

If I were in Buffalo's F.O. I'd still be very confident in the acquisition, & would ask the Bills nation to be patient with Mario, the Bills, & Gailey.

I don't know what the issue is in Buffalo, but I never once thought Mario was the issue in Houston so I seriously doubt he is the issue in Buffalo.

They've got too much talent on that defensive line for it to be a pass rush problem. Just like us, when we had three 1st rounders on our line.

CloakNNNdagger
10-24-2012, 06:00 PM
For the record, I still side with the big guy. I don't think he insulted the Texans in any way by chosing to play in Buffalo. I do not think his stat line is indicative of his play or his ability. I never thought he "took plays off" or that he didn't give his all on every play.

If I were in Buffalo's F.O. I'd still be very confident in the acquisition, & would ask the Bills nation to be patient with Mario, the Bills, & Gailey.

I don't know what the issue is in Buffalo, but I never once thought Mario was the issue in Houston so I seriously doubt he is the issue in Buffalo.

They've got too much talent on that defensive line for it to be a pass rush problem. Just like us, when we had three 1st rounders on our line.

I used to post how Mario didn't need hands because his only move was to rush around the outside. He had/has no real other moves. It's been a long time since O's had to specifically account for him on plays. In fact, this season tackles haven't needed any support defending his rush. While he was here as a Texan, the excuse is that you couldn't blame him for being picked 1st for $50 million dollars and always being injured. Now most of us are quite content that we are not the ones having to say it's not his fault that he was given $100 million and is always being injured.:chef:

GP
10-25-2012, 09:40 AM

Eternal optimist.

It's not that he chose to play elsewhere, and you know that. Please admit that he ripped on us in many ways. Hell, even a well-wisher tweeted to him "good luck" and all Mario could do was act like a baby and bash on the Texans...never even THANKING the guy for his good wishes.

Mario telling people to be careful because they might get what they asked for.

Now he says he doesn't care about anybody's expectations.

Go ahead and pull for him, but honestly he's done this to himself. Period.

Personally, I think the game is too big for him. The expectations, as he states, are too big. Being the number 1 pick...too big. Too much pressure for him. By virtue of being thrust into the now legendary MW-VY-RB drama, he had nowhere to go but down, and I think he regrets it all. The Mario I see is one who is tired of expectations. Of being asked to be the star.

He's a relatively quiet guy, a bit of a recluse, never was a guy who really wanted the spotlight. But he cashed those checks all the same as if he WERE. That, IMO, is where he got into trouble. And now the guilt and the self-loathing is creeping to the surface. Hence the whole "I don't care about anybody's expectations." First time he's been honest in a long time about this issue.

Dutchrudder
10-25-2012, 09:56 AM

Honestly, I would love to see JJ used inside the red zone as a second TE. He has long arms, a high vertical and can actually catch. Put him the back of the end zone and let Schaub float one up high for him to grab.

The Patriots used to use one of their linebackers, Mike Vrabel, as a TE near the goalline. He caught a few TDs in his career.

Dutchrudder
10-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Von Miller's played in a cast for awhile though so it can be done. I just think the timing is very suspicious.

I don't think it's suspicious at all. The Bills have a bye week, and he didn't want to miss a game. So he waited for the bye week to give ample time to heal, and now he'll be ready to "play" against the Texans. Makes sense to me.

GP
10-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Honestly, I would love to see JJ used inside the red zone as a second TE. He has long arms, a high vertical and can actually catch. Put him the back of the end zone and let Schaub float one up high for him to grab.

The Patriots used to use one of their linebackers, Mike Vrabel, as a TE near the goalline. He caught a few TDs in his career.

Yep.

I even go back earlier than that, to when The Fridge was used as a goal line RB in the Super Bowl game of Bears vs. Patriots IIRC.

You take a big, athletic guy off of defense and you plug him into a goal line situation...do you cover him? Do you treat him like a mere decoy/distraction?

It could cause hysteria at the LOS for that opposing defense if a monster off defense is now lined up on offense. And then for him to actually SCORE?!?!?! Look out!

TheIronDuke
10-25-2012, 10:07 AM
I don't think it's suspicious at all. The Bills have a bye week, and he didn't want to miss a game. So he waited for the bye week to give ample time to heal, and now he'll be ready to "play" against the Texans. Makes sense to me.

Initially it sounded like he was going to miss the game which was why I thought it was suspicious timing. I'm glad he's going to be out there, just hope he doesn't use this as an excuse when he does nothing.

Dutchrudder
10-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Yep.

I even go back earlier than that, to when The Fridge was used as a goal line RB in the Super Bowl game of Bears vs. Patriots IIRC.

You take a big, athletic guy off of defense and you plug him into a goal line situation...do you cover him? Do you treat him like a mere decoy/distraction?

It could cause hysteria at the LOS for that opposing defense if a monster off defense is now lined up on offense. And then for him to actually SCORE?!?!?! Look out!

It would certainly help his candidacy for MVP of the league. Kubiak is an offensive genius, so he should be able to figure out something. Make it happen Kubes!

Initially it sounded like he was going to miss the game which was why I thought it was suspicious timing. I'm glad he's going to be out there, just hope he doesn't use this as an excuse when he does nothing.

Yeah, I hope he does use it as an excuse for getting no QB pressure. I'm sure he will rack up some tackles because our run-game isn't all that great, and we will be using Forsett a lot in the 3rd/4th quarter to run out the clock. Maybe that will make him feel better.

gtexan02
10-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Mario has always underachieved when he's asked to think too much or when he has a lot of pressure on him. The only time Mario was really successful for us was when he was in a react/instinct role and had already "proven" to be the better draft pick than Reggie Bush.

Mario is a people pleaser whether he admits it or not. He hears the knocks on him and wants to prove people wrong. He's admitted that he's hesitating. He's hesitating because he's pushing so hard for sacks. He's also crappy against the run because he's pushing for sacks. You saw the same thing in Houston. When he was trying to prove himself, he would push for sacks. All anyone had to do was throw a screen at him and he was done.

You hesitate for 1 second in this league and you're done. There is no time for hesitation.

houstonspartan
10-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Eternal optimist.

It's not that he chose to play elsewhere, and you know that. Please admit that he ripped on us in many ways. Hell, even a well-wisher tweeted to him "good luck" and all Mario could do was act like a baby and bash on the Texans...never even THANKING the guy for his good wishes.

Mario telling people to be careful because they might get what they asked for.

Now he says he doesn't care about anybody's expectations.

Go ahead and pull for him, but honestly he's done this to himself. Period.

Personally, I think the game is too big for him. The expectations, as he states, are too big. Being the number 1 pick...too big. Too much pressure for him. By virtue of being thrust into the now legendary MW-VY-RB drama, he had nowhere to go but down, and I think he regrets it all. The Mario I see is one who is tired of expectations. Of being asked to be the star.

He's a relatively quiet guy, a bit of a recluse, never was a guy who really wanted the spotlight. But he cashed those checks all the same as if he WERE. That, IMO, is where he got into trouble. And now the guilt and the self-loathing is creeping to the surface. Hence the whole "I don't care about anybody's expectations." First time he's been honest in a long time about this issue.

Very insightful. And I agree. And, I'd like to expand on that a bit.

I've always had a theory about Mario. I think he was one of those kids who was big, and showed some athletic talent. As a result, everyone told him, "You should play sports! You should play football!" (I've seen that scenario happen before). As a result of that, he just kind of "gave in" and decided to start playing sports, even though he wasn't really passionate about it. I think he kept going, all through college, and would have an occasional good play here and there, and got him attention. Given his sheer physical size, he can't be ignored, so, when he DID have the rare great play, it was over-hyped.

Mario doesn't have the heart for football. He just "fell into it." That's my theory. I have absolutely no proof, of course; that's just my two cent estimation based on his demeanor and his play. The guy is locked into a career that he doesn't like. Granted, he is paid very well, but, still. He's not into football. It shows.

stingray
10-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Very insightful. And I agree. And, I'd like to expand on that a bit.

I've always had a theory about Mario. I think he was one of those kids who was big, and showed some athletic talent. As a result, everyone told him, "You should play sports! You should play football!" (I've seen that scenario happen before). As a result of that, he just kind of "gave in" and decided to start playing sports, even though he wasn't really passionate about it. I think he kept going, all through college, and would have an occasional good play here and there, and got him attention. Given his sheer physical size, he can't be ignored, so, when he DID have the rare great play, it was over-hyped.

Mario doesn't have the heart for football. He just "fell into it." That's my theory. I have absolutely no proof, of course; that's just my two cent estimation based on his demeanor and his play. The guy is locked into a career that he doesn't like. Granted, he is paid very well, but, still. He's not into football. It shows.

This is exactly what I would say about Tracy McGrady. Million dollar talent, 2 cent drive.

GP
10-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Mario has always underachieved when he's asked to think too much or when he has a lot of pressure on him. The only time Mario was really successful for us was when he was in a react/instinct role and had already "proven" to be the better draft pick than Reggie Bush.

Mario is a people pleaser whether he admits it or not. He hears the knocks on him and wants to prove people wrong. He's admitted that he's hesitating. He's hesitating because he's pushing so hard for sacks. He's also crappy against the run because he's pushing for sacks. You saw the same thing in Houston. When he was trying to prove himself, he would push for sacks. All anyone had to do was throw a screen at him and he was done.

You hesitate for 1 second in this league and you're done. There is no time for hesitation.

I agree 100% there.

JJ Watt is just playing the game. That's what makes Cushing so good, as well. They are out there just having a good time and reacting to the intricacies of the play, every play is different...each play has multiple reactionary points to it that call for the player to adapt-on-the-fly, no hesitation or you're toast.

Mario is beating himself out of the play all season long, over-thinking. Which, IMO, is what Connor Barwin was doing too...hesitating and over-thinking, and I feel he just got into a funk. Until last Sunday.

Wade might have helped scheme some things to free him up, such as moving Reed more inside (due to necessity). But still, you could genuinely see the light bulb go off in Barwin's head once he got that safety sack. From that point forward, he was batting down passes and wreaking sheer havoc out there. Barwin remembered how to PLAY THE GAME. It was an awesome moment to witness, too. I think many of us saw that this past Sunday. I know my smile was bigger that day, I was really glad that things went his way.

Mario, I don't know if he wants it enough. Maybe the biggest NFL contract in history was too much. The last straw. Whatever it is, he has to find a way to love doing what he does. Or else he'll be a wealthy man with a bit of regret that money can't buy off.

Playoffs
10-31-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't know about that...

Mario Williams says Texans forced him into free agency (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19963387/2012/10/31/mario-williams-still-has-issues-with-the-way-he-left-the-texans)
"I didn't want to enter free agency in the first place, but it was a one-way door given to me by the GM to leave Houston, " Williams told FOX 26 Sports. "I want the fans there to know entering free agency was not my decision."

Texans general manager Rick Smith declined comment for this story.
"The way things ended, I definitely feel like it was kind of a rough and all-of-the-sudden goodbye. There's some things that I'm definitely uneasy about, the final decision making that happened there. It was just the way it was handled.

infantrycak
10-31-2012, 01:05 PM

For which the translation may be "the Texans offered me $40 mil and Buffalo offered $100 mil - I didn't have a choice."

Mr teX
10-31-2012, 01:07 PM

Mario Williams says Texans forced him into free agency (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19963387/2012/10/31/mario-williams-still-has-issues-with-the-way-he-left-the-texans)

This is misleading b/c i'm sure on some level what both these guys (Mario & Rick) said/saying is true. Smith probably told him "yeah we want you back, but we likely will not be able to afford what you may command on the market....hint, hint."

Of course Mario's agent was in his other ear saying " They always say that, it's just a negotiating tactic to give you less money. Why don't we test the market and see what houston comes back with....hint hint."

Of course, we know how those "tests" come out 9/10 times with high profile FA's. I have no doubt that mario may have wanted to stay here, I think his fiance is from here & he still owns a home here....but the temptation of 100 million is just too much for anyone to say no to.

Playoffs
10-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Seeing now how dire our salary cap situation was/(is) -- that we had to let Winston & Brisiel go, and with Arian & Myers due and Duane Brown's contract and the cap ceiling holding for the next few years -- I can easily see where Smith would just let Mario walk. He wasn't part of "the core" group.

Mr teX
10-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Seeing now how dire our salary cap situation was/(is) -- that we had to let Winston & Brisiel go, and with Arian & Myers due and Duane Brown's contract and the cap ceiling holding for the next few years -- I can easily see where Smith would just let Mario walk. He wasn't part of "the core" group.

Brown wasn't due up until after this year, so in theory they could've waited to sign him until after this season.

maybe letting go of those guys could've been an attempt by Smith to make room for mario....Mario just signed before smith had a looksee at the final numbers.

GP
10-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Brown wasn't due up until after this year, so in theory they could've waited to sign him until after this season.

maybe letting go of those guys could've been an attempt by Smith to make room for mario....Mario just signed before smith had a looksee at the final numbers.

Nah, Mario was the former #1 pick who performed way better--overall--than the number 2 and number 3 pick (which was a great thing for Mario the free agent, btw). No way did Rick Smith ever have any sort of illusions as to whether Mario could come back or not. Too many teams with too much spare money existed.

For Mario to continue to paint himself a victim is just sad. I'm not even mad about it anymore. I genuinely feel sorry for him because of how he genuinely thinks he got shown the door.

The Texans drafted the best player out of the three choices the Texans had eyed for the top pick. That's not Mario's fault, and it damn sure isn't the fault of our team either. They paid him well, but paid him less than what VY or RB would have wanted. Win-Win, IMO: Mario gets to be the #1 overall AND gets money he would have had at position number 4. Flash forward to this past offseason and it all worked out well for Mario.

Lost in all of this is whether or not the Texans "wanted" him back. To me, that's water under the bridge and isn't the main focus of this at all. What is to be focused upon is DID the Texans have the money to win him back? Nope. Therefore, this is not even an issue in the grand schemes of things.

All Mario had to do is be real and say "Hey, I enjoyed my time in Houston. I worked hard when I was there. I will work hard in Buffalo. God has blessed me with the ability to play football, and I am now playing for the Bills."

But no. Hell no. He had to set himself up nicely with a convenient alibi....my former team stabbed me in the back, discarded me, never even tried to keep me. Makes for good TV drama. Makes good deflection and flares to ward off the missiles of criticism when the long knives come out for Mario when he doesn't produce in Buffalo. He's more worried about us than he is about him playing well in Buffalo. He could have painted a better picture of himself, of us, and of this game itself. But he chose to get offended and STILL chooses to be a child about being the richest freaking defensive player in history. If that doesn't turn fans sour, nothing will.

Jacoby should not have been boo's. Mario? If the mob wants to stick up a thumbs down into the air, let the mob have their way. Mario asked for it.

Trail.Blazr
10-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Nah, Mario was the former #1 pick who performed way better--overall--than the number 2 and number 3 pick (which was a great thing for Mario the free agent, btw). No way did Rick Smith ever have any sort of illusions as to whether Mario could come back or not. Too many teams with too much spare money existed.

For Mario to continue to paint himself a victim is just sad. I'm not even mad about it anymore. I genuinely feel sorry for him because of how he genuinely thinks he got shown the door.

The Texans drafted the best player out of the three choices the Texans had eyed for the top pick. That's not Mario's fault, and it damn sure isn't the fault of our team either. They paid him well, but paid him less than what VY or RB would have wanted. Win-Win, IMO: Mario gets to be the #1 overall AND gets money he would have had at position number 4. Flash forward to this past offseason and it all worked out well for Mario.

Lost in all of this is whether or not the Texans "wanted" him back. To me, that's water under the bridge and isn't the main focus of this at all. What is to be focused upon is DID the Texans have the money to win him back? Nope. Therefore, this is not even an issue in the grand schemes of things.

All Mario had to do is be real and say "Hey, I enjoyed my time in Houston. I worked hard when I was there. I will work hard in Buffalo. God has blessed me with the ability to play football, and I am now playing for the Bills."

But no. Hell no. He had to set himself up nicely with a convenient alibi....my former team stabbed me in the back, discarded me, never even tried to keep me. Makes for good TV drama. Makes good deflection and flares to ward off the missiles of criticism when the long knives come out for Mario when he doesn't produce in Buffalo. He's more worried about us than he is about him playing well in Buffalo. He could have painted a better picture of himself, of us, and of this game itself. But he chose to get offended and STILL chooses to be a child about being the richest freaking defensive player in history. If that doesn't turn fans sour, nothing will.

Jacoby should not have been boo's. Mario? If the mob wants to stick up a thumbs down into the air, let the mob have their way. Mario asked for it.

Haha!... playing for the Bills :money::money::money:

Playoffs
10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Haha!... playing for the Bills :money::money::money:

Ha!, nice play on words.

Mr teX
10-31-2012, 02:09 PM

But no. Hell no. He had to set himself up nicely with a convenient alibi..

..my former team stabbed me in the back, discarded me, never even tried to keep me. Makes for good TV drama. Makes good deflection and flares to ward off the missiles of criticism when the long knives come out for Mario when he doesn't produce in Buffalo. He's more worried about us than he is about him playing well in Buffalo. He could have painted a better picture of himself, of us, and of this game itself. But he chose to get offended and STILL chooses to be a child about being the richest freaking defensive player in history. If that doesn't turn fans sour, nothing will.

Lol, you say you're not mad anymore....but then you type out this long post that's laden with nothing but feelings and obvious ill will toward the guy.........still.

How is whether or not the texans wanted him back not the main focus? Especially in context of what he said & when the majority of the idiots booing the guy in the stadium this sunday will be booing him b/c they feel like he sold us out to take more money. They damn sure couldn't boo the guy for anything else .........not without looking like hypocrites anyway.

Also, what does anything that happened here with him have to do with how Buffalo fans feel about him now?

You're also a fool if you don't think that Rick Smith & Bob didn't want him back. Sure, we were up against it, but if the price was right or at least reasonable, they surely would've been open to resigning him.

Don't be a fool & think that Ricky & co. don't play the media too...There's at least 1 other instance where this may or may not have occured. Upon Dunta leaving he alledges that Smith told him 1 thing but said/did another. All Mario's saying here is that "it's not all on me folks". Now surely, i'm not mad that Smith isn't afraid to go back on his word........as long as the teams best interests are at heart, but surely it's not out of the realm of possibility that publically Smith/Mcnair are saying they want him back & privately their actions are reflecting something else.

Big Lou
10-31-2012, 02:17 PM
This is misleading b/c i'm sure on some level what both these guys (Mario & Rick) said/saying is true. Smith probably told him "yeah we want you back, but we likely will not be able to afford what you may command on the market....hint, hint."

Of course Mario's agent was in his other ear saying " They always say that, it's just a negotiating tactic to give you less money. Why don't we test the market and see what houston comes back with....hint hint."

Of course, we know how those "tests" come out 9/10 times with high profile FA's. I have no doubt that mario may have wanted to stay here, I think his fiance is from here & he still owns a home here....but the temptation of 100 million is just too much for anyone to say no to.

MW is pissing me off a little with his comments from that article.

Just because Rick Smith didn't want to give Mario $5 million per sack doesn't mean you he was forced in to Free Agency.....

I wish him the best but he shouldn't act like he took the Bills offer because he liked the city. It was all about money.

ATRAIN
10-31-2012, 05:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/williams-blames-texans-allowing-him-205013142--nfl.html

Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams returns to Houston on Sunday to face the Texans butsays he never wanted to go elsewhere.

Williams, the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft by the Texans in 2006, accepted a six-year, $100 million contract offer from the Bills during the offseason when he became a free agent. The Texans refused to use a franchise tag that would have cost them $20 million for one season to keep him.

"I didn't want to enter free agency in the first place, but it was a one-way door given to me to leave Houston," Williams told KRIV-TV. "I want the fans there to know entering free agency was not my decision."

Williams hasn't performed up to expectations so far this season for the Bills (3-4). He has 3 1/2 sacks in seven games.

The Texans are 6-1 without Williams.

"I'm definitely excited about coming back to the place where it all began," said Williams, who has 56 1/2 career sacks. "The way things ended, I definitely feel like it was kind of a rough and all-of-the-sudden goodbye. There's some things that I'm definitely uneasy about, the final decision-making that happened there. It was just the way it was handled.".

Big Lou
10-31-2012, 05:29 PM
I commented on this in another in another thread.

I would love to know what the Texans offer to MW was. Mario signed a huge deal in Buffalo, it appears he went strictly for money, it wasn't for the winning program they have there.

The Texans were never going to give him that kind of money nor should they. Hell he probably wasn't even worth the money the Texans offered him, if they did.

We have two guys with as many sacks as him, in positions that aren't really big time sack positions, and even with Smith's salary the two of them make dramatically less than him.

paycheck71
10-31-2012, 05:33 PM
I commented on this in another in another thread.

I would love to know what the Texans offer to MW was. Mario signed a huge deal in Buffalo, it appears he went strictly for money, it wasn't for the winning program they have there.

The Texans were never going to give him that kind of money nor should they. Hell he probably wasn't even worth the money the Texans offered him, if they did.

He insinuated several times over the summer that the Texans didn't make an offer. I can see that given the cap situation they were in. There was no way they could afford him even for half what the Bills paid him and still sign Foster, Brown, and Schaub.

ATRAIN
10-31-2012, 05:35 PM
The way I see if if he wanted to stay he would have talked to the team and said I want to stay and know capp room is tight so ill work with you guys. Tagging him at that amount would be ridiculous!!

TheRealJoker
10-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Say what you want about Mario:

He's not worth what he's getting paid currently but he is an upgrade over what we have. We did not get better by letting Mario walk, but that's part of being a good team. You will run into the situation where you have to let good players walk and hope you have replacements that will grow into the role.

steelbtexan
10-31-2012, 06:23 PM
MW=LOL

Good riddance

If he does anything I'm looking forward to booing him.

Party On MW

Playoffs
10-31-2012, 06:37 PM
I would love to know what the Texans offer to MW was...
Two people have direct knowledge of that. One says he didn't get an offer, the other has no comment. I believe Mario.

Wolf
10-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Not worried. texans did what they'd too. Same as Mario. Business decision. It sucks as a fan

The Pencil Neck
10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Two people have direct knowledge of that. One says he didn't get an offer, the other has no comment. I believe Mario.

That's not entirely true. Remember that there's an agent in between all this and it's the agent that talks to Rick Smith, not Mario.

As I posted in another thread, what probably happened was that Rick Smith and Mario's Agent talked just to get a feel for what each side thought it could do and after hearing what Mario was expecting, Rick told him he couldn't do anything close to that.

So no offer was made.

gtexan02
10-31-2012, 11:46 PM
MW obviously care about what we, the fans, think of him. Well, heres what I think of him:

Mario did the things we wanted him to do in Houston.
He changed a few games with his skills
He was better than either Reggie Bush or VY

I don't hate the guy. I was happy to cheer for him (and even bought his jersey) when he played for us. I'm not going to hate him just because he left, I just won't cheer for him anymore. I don't care the reason, either. He's not a Texan. Thats the end of it

Playoffs
11-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Houston forced Williams to free agency, but only because Houston didn’t need him (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/31/houston-forced-williams-to-free-agency-but-only-because-houston-didnt-need-him/)
As explained earlier today during the latest Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports Network, that’s true. The Texans indeed forced Williams to become a free agent. Because, per a source with knowledge of the dynamics in Houston, G.M. Rick Smith decided the team could win without him.
Given Williams’ performance in Buffalo and the Texans’ performance without him, Smith’s decision puts him in line for the Executive of the Year award.

GP
11-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Lol, you say you're not mad anymore....but then you type out this long post that's laden with nothing but feelings and obvious ill will toward the guy.........still.

How is whether or not the texans wanted him back not the main focus? Especially in context of what he said & when the majority of the idiots booing the guy in the stadium this sunday will be booing him b/c they feel like he sold us out to take more money. They damn sure couldn't boo the guy for anything else .........not without looking like hypocrites anyway.

Also, what does anything that happened here with him have to do with how Buffalo fans feel about him now?

You're also a fool if you don't think that Rick Smith & Bob didn't want him back. Sure, we were up against it, but if the price was right or at least reasonable, they surely would've been open to resigning him.

Don't be a fool & think that Ricky & co. don't play the media too...There's at least 1 other instance where this may or may not have occured. Upon Dunta leaving he alledges that Smith told him 1 thing but said/did another. All Mario's saying here is that "it's not all on me folks". Now surely, i'm not mad that Smith isn't afraid to go back on his word........as long as the teams best interests are at heart, but surely it's not out of the realm of possibility that publically Smith/Mcnair are saying they want him back & privately their actions are reflecting something else.

A guy can't say it's not all on him if he left for wayyyyyy more than what the current team could offer him. It's pretentious to think otherwise.

Any offer south of $90 million was going to be a slap to his face when the Bills are sitting there with $100 mill.

What's being lost in all of this is that there exists 31 other teams who at any time can pay any other team's player MORE than what he'd get with his current team...it's the whole point of free agency: To let players decide their destinies and get maybe more money than they would if there wasn't free agency.

For a player to ***** about how the process--a process that makes them TONS of extra money--forced a team's hand, and how that looks "bad" in some people's eyes is total bull****. Just leave, go get your big bank, and be done with it. It's not the current team's fault.

Texan_Bill
11-01-2012, 09:31 PM

You're also a fool if you don't think that Rick Smith & Bob didn't want him back. .

I'm mad... I'm mad at his stupid comments. I'm mad that he raped this organization for $54 mill (which he realized all of it)...

BTW, I will be one of those "idiots" booing him Sunday based on his dumbass, non-hearted comments? NOT to mention he cost this franchise $54 million over his first 6 years, which ironically he fought through "numerous injuries", which Buffalo fan is finally seeing!

AND for the record, before you go around "labeling" people as "idijots" maybe you're the idjit in not understanding that many of us supported the pick over both Reggie Bush and "6" aka "Radio" and supported the pick fully knowing that Marilou Williams was benched at NCState for, well,,,, "lack of effort...

Enough.... Marion errrrrr, Marilou Williams will have a big effort this Sunday... You know why??? I'll say it, because he has an external force to be motivated. Certainly not because of an internal force that Buffalo Bill Bruce Smith had or more contemparily a JJ Watt has...

Marion Williams: a) doesn't love football. b) has no burning desire c) unlike great champions and/or players doesn't hate to lose (think Michael Jordan)...

MR TEx..... You've completely missed on this one!

mussop
11-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Mario is the new Albert Haynesworth. From this point on his career is going backwards. By the fith game he will be getting questioned by the NY media and fans. By the seventh game they will be ridiculing him. Soon after that he will suffer a hamstring injury and be out for the year. :voodoo:

Mercilus will be in the running for DROY. :d:
:shades:

Mr teX
11-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm mad... I'm mad at his stupid comments. I'm mad that he raped this organization for $54 mill (which he realized all of it)...

BTW, I will be one of those "idiots" booing him Sunday based on his dumbass, non-hearted comments? NOT to mention he cost this franchise $54 million over his first 6 years, which ironically he fought through "numerous injuries", which Buffalo fan is finally seeing!

AND for the record, before you go around "labeling" people as "idijots" maybe you're the idjit in not understanding that many of us supported the pick over both Reggie Bush and "6" aka "Radio" and supported the pick fully knowing that Marilou Williams was benched at NCState for, well,,,, "lack of effort...

Enough.... Marion errrrrr, Marilou Williams will have a big effort this Sunday... You know why??? I'll say it, because he has an external force to be motivated. Certainly not because of an internal force that Buffalo Bill Bruce Smith had or more contemparily a JJ Watt has...

Marion Williams: a) doesn't love football. b) has no burning desire c) unlike great champions and/or players doesn't hate to lose (think Michael Jordan)...

MR TEx..... You've completely missed on this one!

Come on Bill, i would say you're way off on this one...Geez you act like all of that 54 million came out of your pockets...

This thread is nothing more than a bunch folks crying and whining over things that ultimately shouldn't even bother you. he's over in buffalo & their team is stinking it up.......like most here and everywhere else knew they would & we're here doing our thing.....like many here knew we would.

Yeah he sure did "steal" 54 million dollars from this team.....the same team that offered it to him.....the same team that kept him around even when, according to you, it was soooo apparent to the franchise that he needed "external" forces to be motivated....the same team he led in sacks all but 1 year he was here...the same team that let Frank Bush & Richard Smith call defensive plays for him...yeah he got over big time on the texans..:rolleyes:

if that's your rationale for booing the guy, whatever...do it if it makes you feel better, But i can think of more than a few players who really stole money from this franchise & were/have been met with far less venom when they came back to reliant...Either way, it won't change my opinion of those booing, i still think you guys are idiots b/c at the end of the day he can say what he wants, Smith guessed right and we are & have been a better team without him.........HOWEVER WAY THAT CAME TO BE.

I remember a similar backlash against demeco on here when he said something regarding philly's fan base vs ours. you guys need to stop being so sensitive. you guys misconstrue anything these guys say that's not overly flattering about the city/texans as somehow being an indictment on the city itself.

paycheck71
11-02-2012, 09:41 PM
The way I see it, he left, and we signed Brown, Foster, Myers, and Schaub. And Buffalo paid him $100MM. That's a win-win if I've ever seen one. What is there to be upset about by anyone? And why boo?

Thorn
11-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Given the choice over again, I'd still take Mario over Sausage Boy and Bush. But if I REALLY had a chance to do it over again, I wouldn't take any of those three. LOL

ChampionTexan
11-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Given the choice over again, I'd still take Mario over Sausage Boy and Bush. But if I REALLY had a chance to do it over again, I wouldn't take any of those three. LOL

Agreed, but all in all, considering that nobody else was even in the discussion at the time, selecting the best of those three did give a little credibility to the Texans where before they had none. At least it showed that they were either smarter or luckier than 97% of the pundits and talking heads out there.

Those who choose to boo VY on Sunday are entirely within their rights to do so, just as I'm entirely within my rights to think that it shows them to be small, petty and not very bright.

CloakNNNdagger
11-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Reviewing the actual terms Mario's contract............Mario made out like a bandit..............and the Bills went to Las Vegas. With Mario's injury and questionable effort history, not only were the Texans nowhere close to being able to come anywhere close to structuring a reasonable contract that would work within the cap............nor were they evidently unwise enough to take what by almost every measure was a loser's bet. Mario, you would do well to just shut up, sell your Memorial home, buy a couple more Lamborghinis, stay healthy, start showing a consistently high motor, become sack king, make the Bills winners and Bills fans grateful that you are THEIR legacy.............NOT!

1. $19 million signing bonus.

2. $5.9 million fully guaranteed base salary in 2012.

3. $8 million option bonus in 2013.

4. $6.5 million base salary in 2013, guaranteed for injury only at the time of signing, fully guaranteed second day of 2013 league year.

5. $10.6 million roster bonus in 2014, guaranteed for injury only at time of signing.

6. $1.9 million base salary in 2014.

7. $1 million roster bonus in 2015.

8. $12.1 million base salary in 2015.

9. $2.5 million roster bonus in 2016.

10. $11.5 million base salary in 2016.

11. $3.5 million roster bonus in 2017.

12. $11.4 million base salary in 2017.

13. $100,000 workout bonus in 2012, with $500,000 workout bonuses in each year from 2013 to 2016.

13. $400,000 Pro Bowl incentives per year.

14. $400,000 in additional incentives per year.

The base value is $96 million. The incentives can push the deal to $100 million.

At the time of signing, the deal contains fully guaranteed money in the amount of $24.9 million.

Also, another $17.1 million is guaranteed for injury only at the time of signing; $6.5 million of it becomes fully guaranteed later. It’s unclear whether the $8 million option bonus is fully guaranteed; as a practical matter, it is.

Given the $10.6 million roster bonus due in 2014, it’s a two-year, $40 million contract with a team-held option on the final four years. More accurately, it’s a two-year contract with a one-year-at-a-time decision by the team as to whether it continues.

While it’s a significant risk in the short term, the Bills can walk away if it doesn’t work out.link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/breaking-down-the-mario-williams-deal/)

Norg
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Aganist Mario Newton played very good today im proud of him

Wolf
12-30-2012, 10:43 PM
If I saw correctly, ended the season with 46 tackles and 10.5 sacks

thunderkyss
12-30-2012, 10:45 PM
If I saw correctly, ended the season with 46 tackles and 10.5 sacks

How did that compare to Connor Barwin?

Imagine that Barwin put up those numbers, or that we never lost Cushing this year. Think about all the turnovers we would have gotten, how that short field would help our offense.