PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Waive Shipley

HOU-TEX
08-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Can he be as good or better than K-Dub if healthy? I'd hope we take a look at him. He should be close to being healthy. I saw he was dressed out in last nights game. Thoughts?

Jordan Shipley’s time in Cincinnati has come to an end.

The Bengals waived Shipley, their 2010 third-round draft pick, they announced today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/17/bengals-waive-jordan-shipley/

Blake
08-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I dont think so. Jordan is alot smaller than KW. Jordan might work in the slot but I think we already have more than enough young WR's to fill that spot. Especially in week 2.

Texas T
08-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Can he be as good or better than K-Dub if healthy? I'd hope we take a look at him. He should be close to being healthy. I saw he was dressed out in last nights game. Thoughts?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/17/bengals-waive-jordan-shipley/

I'd give him a look see. He's got more NFL receptions than anyone behind AJ and K-Dub. He'd probably sign for min $$. I know they say that the rooks and Jean are doing well but I'd like to see another "experienced" guy.

Texn4life
08-17-2012, 03:15 PM
If we weren't 5 deep at receiver I'd bring him in, but there's no room for him. AJ, Kevin, Martin, and Jean aren't going anywhere. You would have to be willing to part with Jean for Shipley. Is anyone really ready to do that?

I love Shipley's game and toughness so I have a hard time believing he won't find work. Tampa was just looking to fill a slot role with Demps. While Jordan doesn't have the same speed, I think he'd be awesome with the Bucs offense.

Dutchrudder
08-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Shipley > Lestar Jean. Bring him in. He can be used in the return game too.

powda
08-17-2012, 03:23 PM
What injury forced him to miss the year?

Dutchrudder
08-17-2012, 03:26 PM
What injury forced him to miss the year?

During a game against the Denver Broncos in week 2, Shipley tore two ligaments in his knee - anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL) - causing him to miss the remainder of the 2011 season.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/football/bengals-shipley-suffers-torn-acl-out-for-season-1/nMt7C/

The Guru
08-17-2012, 03:44 PM
With K-Mart looking capable of pushing KW on the outside, why not nab Jordan Shipley and take a look at him in the slot? The guy was pretty awesome at Texas and during his rookie year. Definitely an upgrade over Jeff Maehl...

Plus... I never mind bringing in boys from home!

What do you guys think?

El Tejano
08-17-2012, 03:46 PM
YOu can cut Holliday because Shipley can return some kicks. I like Shipley.

myktek2
08-17-2012, 03:49 PM
I was gonna say the same thing.
I'd pick him up and give him a chance.

Ryan
08-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I like Maehl alot, but i'd bring Shipley in definitely.

The Guru
08-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Really seems like a no brainer to me. I didn't even think about the kick returning possibility -- Pay him Rick!

eriadoc
08-17-2012, 04:00 PM
If it's true that Shipley tore two ligaments in his knee last year, then no thank you. It generally takes more time to get back to form than what he's had.

Blake
08-17-2012, 04:02 PM
During a game against the Denver Broncos in week 2, Shipley tore two ligaments in his knee - anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL) - causing him to miss the remainder of the 2011 season.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/football/bengals-shipley-suffers-torn-acl-out-for-season-1/nMt7C/

And you still want to sign him? The Bengals saw him for 1 practice and cut him to avoid an injury settlement. He is damaged goods.

Texn4life
08-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Sometimes I really just have to shake my head.

ChampionTexan
08-17-2012, 04:06 PM
There's 20-plus teams ahead of us in terms of waiver claims. One of those teams is Miami. If he's healthy/mostly healthy, I'm thinking there's a decent chance that any decision the Texans make regarding Jordan Shipley will end up being irrelevant, and if he's not healthy, I don't want to mess with him.

ChampionTexan
08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
And you still want to sign him? The Bengals saw him for 1 practice and cut him to avoid an injury settlement. He is damaged goods.

While what you say may be mostly on target, I've got to think that if he played in two preseason games (and was cleared to practice over two weeks ago) that they saw him for more than one practice before they let him go.

dc_txtech
08-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Didn't this guy have like 5 medical redshirts in college? I'd rather see what we have in Lestar Jean.

Playoffs
08-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Are we going to have one of these for every WR who gets dropped? :kitten:

Dutchrudder
08-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Camp contracts don't cost anything in the grand scheme of things, so yeah I'd bring him in. He has more NFL experience than every other WR we have besides KW and AJ. See what he's got if we can, and if he can't make it, cut him in two weeks. Very little risk here, assuming he clears waivers.

Quick II Draw
08-17-2012, 04:30 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/College_Football/14388_fans_8670.JPG
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5919/homerism.jpg

ArlingtonTexan
08-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Are we going to have one of these for every WR who gets dropped? :kitten:

Yes. It took awhile for me to just live with it, but any familiar name is automatically better than what the texans have or at least should be "brought in."

pissknocker
08-17-2012, 04:43 PM
YOu can cut Holliday because Shipley can return some kicks. I like Shipley.

You've got to be kidding me. The minute we cut Trindon he gets picked up by a team we meet in a vital game and he goes bonkers on us. He will return one more for yard in the preseason and he makes our squad.:smiliedance:

steelbtexan
08-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Love Shipley,

Wouldn't sign him because of injury.

If he's still available for next yrs training camp then I would bring him in for a look see.

brakos82
08-17-2012, 05:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wb7zU.gif

drs23
08-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Just referencing this post on the BRB I'd agree with not NO but HELL NO!

yea that's what I heard as well
Still having problems with his knee that suffered the ACL injury. He had ice packs on both of them getting on his team bus yesterday or today according to bengal fans.

Haven't personally been to the Bengals site to verify but this is what I found about it.

Anyone hates to see this happen to a player with promising upside but it's the NFL. It happens

Lucky
08-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Didn't this guy have like 5 medical redshirts in college? I'd rather see what we have in Lestar Jean.
I really liked Shipley in college, but his injury history is extensive. Two knee injurys in college, a shoulder injury, a concussion in his rookie year with the Bengals, and the two torn ligaments last season. Even if he did get healthy enough to pass a physical, how long would he last? A week? A month? It's a shame, but I think Shipley's probably done.

Pollardized
08-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Heck no. Longhorn.... Blah.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Buccaneers claimed him, per Twitter

Rey
08-20-2012, 04:48 PM
If the Texans bring in another WR to challenge for a roster spot I'll be surprised...

BlackBeard
08-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Buccaneers claimed him, per Twitter

Very nice. I will be at Raymond James on Friday.

Texn4life
08-20-2012, 05:23 PM
I love Shipley's game and toughness so I have a hard time believing he won't find work. Tampa was just looking to fill a slot role with Demps. While Jordan doesn't have the same speed, I think he'd be awesome with the Bucs offense.

Did I call this one or what?

BlackBeard
08-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Did I call this one or what?

Nice call. Now the question is just how bummed up is his knee and will he be able play anytime soon. I am hearing here that Freeman lobbied for him.

Texn4life
08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Nice call. Now the question is just how bummed up is his knee and will he be able play anytime soon. I am hearing here that Freeman lobbied for him.

I think the Bucs need to have patience with him. I don't think he'll be at his best soon so they should just really focus on him midseason and beyond.