PDA

View Full Version : Some Texans Olinemen Not Happy with OL

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Guard Wade Smith calls meeting of Texans offensive line

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/wires/08/15/2020.ap.fbn.texans.holliday.1st.ld.writethru.0955/index.html (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19295299/guard-wade-smith-calls-meeting-of-texans-offensive-line#ixzz23lU3rlJt)

Finally, the air of player accountability beginning to sweep through the team.

2slik4u
08-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Guard Wade Smith calls meeting of Texans offensive line

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/wires/08/15/2020.ap.fbn.texans.holliday.1st.ld.writethru.0955/index.html (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19295299/guard-wade-smith-calls-meeting-of-texans-offensive-line#ixzz23lU3rlJt)

Thats so refreshing to read in this day in the NFL. Makes you glad to be a Texan when you read something as small as this. Good find. MSR.

Allstar
08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
So they weren't happy with that morning's practice, not the OL in general. The thread title scared me a little.

Playoffs
08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Yep, good to see. MSR

Translation: Somebody wasn't putting enough effort into the job, either physically or mentally or both. And it wasn't Wade Smith or Chris Myers or Duane Brown -- each spoke their piece.

“That’s important for your whole team. I tell them all the time, ‘If you’re waiting on me every day to police you and to get mad when things aren’t right, then we don’t have a good team. When you start policing each other and your expectations of each other are that way each and every day, then we got a heck of chance to be a great football team.’ I like the way we go about our business.” – Texans head coach Gary Kubiak on the OL meeting.

PapaL
08-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Wow. Our young team has matured into a real franchise.

speedfreek
08-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Man, that is NOT what I want to hear..

TJ

Allstar
08-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Man, that is NOT what I want to hear..

TJ

Read the article.

steelbtexan
08-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Yep, good to see. MSR

Translation: Somebody wasn't putting enough effort into the job, either physically or mentally or both. And it wasn't Wade Smith or Chris Myers or Duane Brown -- each spoke their piece.

Got him for y'all

beerlover
08-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Mentioned Newton, I think they have high expecations for him & he's close. Going forward, if he responds positvely, could be Texan starting RT :specnatz:

sbalderrama
08-17-2012, 12:45 AM
This is why you build a team with high character players.

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2012, 12:52 AM
They were talking about this on twitter earlier today.

Good to see guys holding each other accountable and taking pride in their work.

SheTexan
08-17-2012, 08:48 AM
That's what they get for letting Winston and Briesel (sp) go!! No one to blame for a weak OL except Rick Smith!! JMO!!!

TheIronDuke
08-17-2012, 08:57 AM
That's what they get for letting Winston and Briesel (sp) go!! No one to blame for a weak OL except Rick Smith!! JMO!!!

The OL is hardly weak. There is a salary cap you know, if we kept Briesel and Winston we couldn't afford Duane Brown then you'd be complaining about how we let him go after this season.

gtexan02
08-17-2012, 09:31 AM
I miss Winston already

GP
08-17-2012, 09:39 AM
This needed to happen.

Caldwell and Butler gotta get it going. They looked sleepy out there last Saturday night, a bit behind the play each time.

HOU-TEX
08-17-2012, 09:40 AM
I think Brooks must've had a bad day too. I don't think I've heard Kubiak directly say a player wasn't ready. IMO, Kubiak's usually tougher on the players he thinks will end up to very good. Hopefully Brooks can get right because I think he can be awesome

(on if there is added significance when in a starting role) ďItís just rotation. I think (T Derek) Newton deserves a chance to go out there as starter this week. Itís not anything (T Rashad) Butler did, and the young guard (Brandon Brooks) isnít ready to go do that if I put him in there right now. Weíll give (Derek) Newton a chance but between him and (Rashad) Butler, theyíre going to play the same amount of plays. Itís still a hell of a battle going on.Ē

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Thursday-practice/0492c99b-f39b-4882-ac10-0831b74c8f19

jdjd
08-17-2012, 02:44 PM
my thinking is that this meeting was directed at Butler for the poor effort last weekend and what they've seen this week so far in practice. That is probably why Kubiak will be starting Newton with the ones this week. IMO

ThaShark316
08-17-2012, 04:23 PM
The OL is hardly weak. There is a salary cap you know, if we kept Briesel and Winston we couldn't afford Duane Brown then you'd be complaining about how we let him go after this season.

:handshake:

buddyboy
08-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Then I guess we have no one to blame for all our successes but Rick Smith too, if we're just going to blame him for NECESSARY salary cap cuts. This Rick Smith attack for cutting some fan favorites is illogical.

JMO.

gary
08-17-2012, 06:40 PM
If the OL is not good this year someone will get the blame.

OzzO
08-17-2012, 08:39 PM
If the OL is just as good this year - hope those same someone's get the praise.

BullBlitz
08-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks for posting.

This is indicative of the problems that are going to become apparent on the right side of the offensive line as the season progresses. The fact of the matter is that the Texans elevated two guys who were not able to crack the starting lineup last year. It's fine to give players a chance, but it's stupid to take the risk of replacing a group of players that require so much chemistry.

Arian's productivity is going to suffer, and it's going to have an effect on the passing game. We will likely see it this weekend against the 49ers.

The Medic01
08-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks for posting.

This is indicative of the problems that are going to become apparent on the right side of the offensive line as the season progresses. The fact of the matter is that the Texans elevated two guys who were not able to crack the starting lineup last year. It's fine to give players a chance, but it's stupid to take the risk of replacing a group of players that require so much chemistry.

Arian's productivity is going to suffer, and it's going to have an effect on the passing game. We will likely see it this weekend against the 49ers.

Caldwell looked good IMO. It looks as if RT is going to be our onlu O-line hole which is better than 90% of the teams out there.

BullBlitz
08-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Caldwell looked good IMO. It looks as if RT is going to be our onlu O-line hole which is better than 90% of the teams out there.

Yes, it will be good to see how they perform over the next few weeks.

Lurvinator11
08-17-2012, 10:46 PM

An O-line with Duane Brown, Chris Myers, and Wade Smith is anything but weak. If we wouldn't have let Brisel walk, and cut Winston, we wouldn't have been able to ink myers to a deal. And we probably wouldn't have had the room to extend Duane brown to the deal we got on him. Oh which btw, last I checked, Rick Smith was the who made those deals happen. Call me a kool aid drinker, but the way RS has been operating this team is great. Keep the players you need to keep, while signing them to friendly deals. The players who want more and who are replaceable, simply leave. The situation with the team NOW, justifies all of the players we have given away this offseason. I think our success is about to be long term. Under Rick, we have been making smart deals over the past couple of years. And not throwing money at other players and tanking our franchise. I have called you out on this before, and yes I know it is your opinion. However, it isn't warranted. I, and I feel a majority of this board, are happy as fans with rick smiths performance so far. You should be too. Has there ever been a time before now when we were as successful? No. And who can you think for the recent success? Rick Smith. Of course it isn't just him, the entire team has their own role, but RS deserves credit. I know you have been a fan since the inception. I know you were a fan of the oilers before as well. We are on the cusp of greatness. Give Rick a tad more credit. That way, you won't be eating crow when he is hoisting up the Lombardi trophey with McNair and company in February! Thanks, and I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears.

SheTexan
08-18-2012, 10:17 AM
An O-line with Duane Brown, Chris Myers, and Wade Smith is anything but weak. If we wouldn't have let Brisel walk, and cut Winston, we wouldn't have been able to ink myers to a deal. And we probably wouldn't have had the room to extend Duane brown to the deal we got on him. Oh which btw, last I checked, Rick Smith was the who made those deals happen. Call me a kool aid drinker, but the way RS has been operating this team is great. Keep the players you need to keep, while signing them to friendly deals. The players who want more and who are replaceable, simply leave. The situation with the team NOW, justifies all of the players we have given away this offseason. I think our success is about to be long term. Under Rick, we have been making smart deals over the past couple of years. And not throwing money at other players and tanking our franchise. I have called you out on this before, and yes I know it is your opinion. However, it isn't warranted. I, and I feel a majority of this board, are happy as fans with rick smiths performance so far. You should be too. Has there ever been a time before now when we were as successful? No. And who can you think for the recent success? Rick Smith. Of course it isn't just him, the entire team has their own role, but RS deserves credit. I know you have been a fan since the inception. I know you were a fan of the oilers before as well. We are on the cusp of greatness. Give Rick a tad more credit. That way, you won't be eating crow when he is hoisting up the Lombardi trophey with McNair and company in February! Thanks, and I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears.

I will take my neg rep and continue to have my own opinion! That said, I'm not a moron! I know what it takes to be successful! Change happens all the time in the NFL! We moan and groan, vent, biatch, threaten to quit, place blame, etc, etc. That's what we've done on this message board since Kevin started it, until now!! I'll give credit when credit is due. We have had ONE successful season, and I give Wade Phillips credit for that! As a very good friend and fellow poster told me, don't try to fix what's not broken!! Our Oline was not broken last year, it was pretty darn good!! WHEN we are all celebrating our TEAM holding up that Lombardi, I'll give credit to those who got them there. If that includes RS, then he will get it. The verdict is still out. Your message did not fall on deaf ears, nor did it fall on a stup*d woman! I will keep an open mind because I love my team, and I want them to win a SB! I don't care who gets them there, as long as it happens!!

The Medic01
08-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I will take my neg rep and continue to have my own opinion! That said, I'm not a moron! I know what it takes to be successful! Change happens all the time in the NFL! We moan and groan, vent, biatch, threaten to quit, place blame, etc, etc. That's what we've done on this message board since Kevin started it, until now!! I'll give credit when credit is due. We have had ONE successful season, and I give Wade Phillips credit for that! As a very good friend and fellow poster told me, don't try to fix what's not broken!! Our Oline was not broken last year, it was pretty darn good!! WHEN we are all celebrating our TEAM holding up that Lombardi, I'll give credit to those who got them there. If that includes RS, then he will get it. The verdict is still out. Your message did not fall on deaf ears, nor did it fall on a stup*d woman! I will keep an open mind because I love my team, and I want them to win a SB! I don't care who gets them there, as long as it happens!!

If we didn't mess with it now we would have lost even more important pieces down the road.

Playoffs
08-18-2012, 10:33 AM
I will take my neg rep and continue to have my own opinion!...
Should not have received neg rep for that. http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc366/PlagueEleven/Smileys/no.gif

Lurvinator11
08-18-2012, 01:14 PM
We have had ONE successful season, and I give Wade Phillips credit for that!

Wade made the defense better, but who signed the talent for him to work with? Rick Smith is just as accountable for last season as Wade is.

FosterGreatness
08-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Wade made the defense better, but who signed the talent for him to work with? Rick Smith is just as accountable for last season as Wade is.

I like Rick Smith but I think Wade is probably the one who pushed for Watt and Reed.

Corrosion
08-18-2012, 01:29 PM
This was also discussed in the Chron a couple days back here's a link to the article - John McClain. (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/wade-smith-calls-meeting-for-offensive-linemen-after-sloppy-showing/)

BullBlitz
08-18-2012, 02:37 PM
I like Rick Smith but I think Wade is probably the one who pushed for Watt and Reed.

Undoubtedly. I give Wade all the credit for the turnaround last season.

wolf123
08-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Rick Smith has turned one of the worst NFL rosters I've ever seen into arguably one of the top 3 talented rosters. He brought in Glover Quinn, Kareem Jackson, Daniel Manning, Connor Barwin, Joseph, Cushing, Brice, Shaun Cody and a bunch of other impact players that no one wants to give him credit for.

Kubiak, Rick Smith and Wade were all important to turning this franchise around. They all deserve credit!!

thunderkyss
08-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Weak OL?

I think you're missing the point. You're right, this is what they get for letting Winston go.... real leadership.

ObsiWan
08-18-2012, 06:40 PM

Wade didn't have anything to do with Arian Foster or Ben Tate or Duane Brown or Chris Myers. Without them last year, our offense would have been non-existent.
So, no, Wade cannot get "all the credit" for the turnaround.

thunderkyss
08-18-2012, 06:54 PM

Cleveland, Jacksonville, Seahawks, Jets.........

Alex, the Question is, "Name four top ten defenses from 2011 (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1) that didn't make the play-offs."

Goldensilence
08-18-2012, 06:59 PM
This is good news when players step up and call meetings, means they are looking to each other for accountability.

I am sure the right side of the line will get things right, Benton will see to that. This is a really a talented group overall.

Far as the job Rick Smith has done overall...it's taken a long time, but he seems to have gotten it right. Now it's a question of maintaining it moving forward.

beerlover
08-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm not happy with what I've seen so far on the right side. The cut-back lanes just aren't there like with Brisel & Winston.

Caldwell looks quicker, but does not have nasty demeanor of Brisel. Brooks is closer (nasty streak) but lumbers downfield. Butler can set the edge as good or better than Winston but doesn' pull & smother guys in running game. Newton lacks size so has to use speed & power to be a dominant RT.

The Medic01
08-19-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm not happy with what I've seen so far on the right side. The cut-back lanes just aren't there like with Brisel & Winston.

Caldwell looks quicker, but does not have nasty demeanor of Brisel. Brooks is closer (nasty streak) but lumbers downfield. Butler can set the edge as good or better than Winston but doesn' pull & smother guys in running game. Newton lacks size so has to use speed & power to be a dominant RT.

Remember that this 9ers defense was far and away the best run defense in the nfl. I looked at their week by week rushing stats and they gave up one 100 yard game against Marshawn Lynch.
They faced some good backs as well.
Lesean McCoy
Ray Rice
Marshawn Lynch x2
Steven Jackson x2
Only Lynch had one hundred yard game. Their run defense was insane last year. Not worried about the line.

Wolf6151
08-19-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm glad we have the veteran leadership on the O-line that are willing to call each other out and fix the problem. I don't like what I've seen on the right side so far, but it got better in game 2, and I have confidence it'll get better before the season starts.

Joeycharp89
08-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Remember that this 9ers defense was far and away the best run defense in the nfl. I looked at their week by week rushing stats and they gave up one 100 yard game against Marshawn Lynch.
Lesean McCoy
Ray Rice
Marshawn Lynch x2
Steven Jackson x2
Only Lynch had one hundred yard game. Their run defense was insane last year. Not worried about the line.

This. I was at the game, and my bud was getting antsy because Arian wasn't busting out any big runs (prior the Johnson catch). But I felt pretty confident that the O-line would break him lose sooner or later, it's just not gonna happen every other play when facing one of the best front 7 in the league.

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Lesean McCoy
Ray Rice
Marshawn Lynch x2
Steven Jackson x2

Ive been debating which front seven is the best in the NFL .... Both the Texans and 49ers deserve serious consideration for the distinction but for different aspects of ... the Texans for that pass rush , is there a team that compares ? .... the 49ers for their stellar run defense , far and away the best last season and looking just as formidable this.

The fact that the Texans are able to generate such a pass rush missing two starters (Watt and Cody) says a whole lot about their depth.

Their woes against the run (alibet a top 10 rushing offense from last year) have to take that into consideration - Cody is strong against the run. Maybe he gets some credit after seeing the defense get shredded without him.

BullBlitz
08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
This. I was at the game, and my bud was getting antsy because Arian wasn't busting out any big runs (prior the Johnson catch). But I felt pretty confident that the O-line would break him lose sooner or later, it's just not gonna happen every other play when facing one of the best front 7 in the league.

It certainly didn't. Just as I had expected.

We had one of the best running games in the NFL last season. Some fans expect that we will see the same this year despite a decrease in talent level on the line.

Last night was just another indication that it won't be the case.

The Medic01
08-19-2012, 07:33 PM

We had one of the best running games in the NFL last season. Some fans expect that we will see the same this year despite a decrease in talent level on the line.

You don't get it do you? Sometimes the best run defense will beat the best run offense. Just how it goes when the other team has three all pros in their front 7

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 08:04 PM

Tate ran at will pretty much against the Panthers ... Foster gained 11 yards on his only carry (sure he fumbled) .... the other backs looked pretty solid against Carolina too.

Sometimes you just gotta tip your hat to the other guy. There's a reason the 49ers gave up only 77 rushing yards per game last season - they are very good.

thunderkyss
08-19-2012, 09:30 PM

What decrease in level? Winston was a 3rd Round pick, same as Caldwell. Brisiel was undrafted.

FosterGreatness
08-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Sometimes you just gotta tip your hat to the other guy. There's a reason the 49ers gave up only 77 rushing yards per game last season - they are very good.

Amen. People put to much thought into this sometimes... it honestly wasn't awful. The Texans had 27 carries for 119 yards, 4.4 avg. Foster had 10 carries for 46 yards, regardless if a big chunk came from a couple of plays... that is still pretty good against that team.

GP
08-20-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm not worried. I think the left side of the line is going to chew ass until the right side of the line perks up.

This whole preseason is a time for guys in all positions to sort of wake up and smell the coffee. This is why four preseason games is beneficial; to get guys sharpened up and into "football shape."

My biggest concern is special teams. Holliday will make the team, but he has to produce AND not commit errors that cost us. The Kicker's job? I have a bad feeling about Bullock--I was really thinking he could be our Mason Crosby, but Graham looks wayyy more comfortable and chillax out there. Keeping the wrong guy at Kicker can be a huge mistake, and last year Kubiak kept the wrong guy at Punter and then had that final preseason game to see what a huge error that had been.

I'm fine with QB. Good to go with RBs. I sense that the OL will sharpen up before week 1. WRs, hell yeah AJ and KM and portions of KW are fine by me. TEs will be good with OD, Casey and GG. I'm good with the defense, and KJ looks like he's ready to be "the" guy at CB2.

KR and K scare the hell outta me, seriously can cost us games if it gets bad and in a hurry. You don't want to see the other guys in O and D gutting out close games only to see a botched return or a shanked FG cost us the game.

BullBlitz
08-20-2012, 10:17 PM
What decrease in level? Winston was a 3rd Round pick, same as Caldwell. Brisiel was undrafted.

Brilliant. Base your assessment of talent on draft position. That's good.

Corrosion
08-20-2012, 10:21 PM
KR and K scare the hell outta me

RG and RT scare the hell outa me(Mostly RG) .... Keeping Schaub upright is the key to a Superbowl run or an early exit from the playoffs IMO. Those two are key to that.

KR .... Trycycle has shown to be proficient.

K - May the best man win.

thunderkyss
08-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Brilliant. Base your assessment of talent on draft position. That's good.

Isn't that what the draft is?

We've lost some experience, but I don't know that we've lost any "talent"

Butler has played well for us at LT.... most people consider that a more difficult position than RT & though many have come to love Brisiel, I think it's his lunch-pail, blue collared attitude that's endeared him, not his "talent"

GP
08-20-2012, 11:45 PM
RG and RT scare the hell outa me(Mostly RG) .... Keeping Schaub upright is the key to a Superbowl run or an early exit from the playoffs IMO. Those two are key to that.

KR .... Trycycle has shown to be proficient.

K - May the best man win.

At least with an O-line...there's two sides, and one side is coaching up the other side. You can mask or compensate for a guy who is struggling ...such as a RG.

Kickers? On their own. It's a lonely job, and they become a goat much faster than they become a hero.

Like I said also: It'll take one ill timed botched return by Holliday to turn a game on its head, a game the other players might have been clawing out play by play up until a botched return. That hissing noise you'll hear? Air being let out of a balloon.

K and KR are very caustic if it's not handled right. If it's reliably decent, then it's a great thing. If it's awesome, it can super-charge the entire team.

Holliday and Graham/Bullock have to be on their game immediately when week 1 starts, and thus far I'm thinking Graham looks like he's calm and more steady than Bullock. Holliday? I have to see him when the pressure is on in a real reg season game before I will trust.