PDA

View Full Version : Holliday's chances at making the team

Pages : [1] 2

Texn4life
08-12-2012, 06:55 PM
I understand he'll only be a pure return man, but in my opinion this guy has to be on the team. There are very few players that make u want to watch them every time they touch the ball and he's on that list. I also think it'll make Keshawn a better player being able to focus solely on the receiver position.

rmartin65
08-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I say he is a bubble player, but he gets the green light in my opinion. The pre-season will be important for him, but he is a huge threat with the ball in his hands.

DexmanC
08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
I see his chances are good, as Jacoby Jones' position on the team has
always been crucial, as a returner.

I think Kubiak will keep a pure returner if he proves to be special. He'd better
keep hustlin,' though.

Rey
08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
I've had trindon making the roster every year since he's been here and I don't see any reason to change that now.

Texn4life
08-12-2012, 07:14 PM
If we release him he is guaranteed to be on a roster the very next day. I've never seen Kubiak smile to big on the sideline like he was after his big return.

Wolf6151
08-12-2012, 07:16 PM
It would really be nice to keep Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy but with only 53 roster spots it's hard to justify keeping a guy that can't do anything else. We'll see over the next few weeks if he can catch the ball and MAYBE we keep him as WR#6, if we carry that many. Hopefully he'll improve at WR. I agree it would be nice to allow Keshawn to concentrate on WR only. We'll see, but I'm not sure that Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy, is a luxury we can afford. I also fear the first time a 2nd or 3rd string LB opponent fighting for a roster spot on his team and trying to impress the coaches lays a massive hit on Trindon. I wonder if he'll get up.

EllisUnit
08-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I understand he'll only be a pure return man, but in my opinion this guy has to be on the team. There are very few players that make u want to watch them every time they touch the ball and he's on that list. I also think it'll make Keshawn a better player being able to focus solely on the receiver position.

1 return in 1 pre season game HARDLY has me on the edge of my seat every time he touches the ball. BUT with as much depth as we have i "think" he has a good chance to make the team (IF AND ONLY IF he can contantly get us good field position)

Texn4life
08-12-2012, 07:23 PM
1 return in 1 pre season game HARDLY has me on the edge of my seat every time he touches the ball. BUT with as much depth as we have i "think" he has a good chance to make the team (IF AND ONLY IF he can contantly get us good field position)

Then you haven't watched him in college. This guy has rare speed for an NFL player. Any time he touches the ball there's an opportunity for a big play.

BullBlitz
08-12-2012, 07:24 PM
It would really be nice to keep Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy but with only 53 roster spots it's hard to justify keeping a guy that can't do anything else.

I don't think so.

A good PR/KR is worth a lot, especially since it's been years since we've had a competent one, and we supposed to make a playoff run year.

I don't care if he only does one thing. He's more valuable than a who's a backup linebacker and special teams player.

EllisUnit
08-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Then you haven't watched him in college. This guy has rare speed for an NFL player. Any time he touches the ball there's an opportunity for a big play.

u must not of seen J.J when he came out of college. IF he can translate college success to the NFL and be a good returner on a consistent basis than hell yeah, but you have to earn a roster sopt. 1 Pre season game and one KR dont do that. If we can use that spot for another good prospect at WR then the decesion isnt so easy.

Joeycharp89
08-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't think so.

A good PR/KR is worth a lot, especially since it's been years since we've had a competent one, and we supposed to make a playoff run year.

I don't care if he only does one thing. He's more valuable than a who's a backup linebacker and special teams player.

Agreed. He can potentially make our special teams a weapon, instead of just "ok." Look at the Cardinals, Patrick Peterson was like 50% of their offense :P

Texn4life
08-12-2012, 07:39 PM
u must not of seen J.J when he came out of college. IF he can translate college success to the NFL and be a good returner on a consistent basis than hell yeah, but you have to earn a roster sopt. 1 Pre season game and one KR dont do that. If we can use that spot for another good prospect at WR then the decesion isnt so easy.

It wasn't just one return though. He looked good in the return game all night. Just because he only had 1 TD doesn't mean he didn't have other good returns. I agree he'll need to show he can do it consistently but his ability to change a game is a reason Kubiak is giving him a shot.

EllisUnit
08-12-2012, 07:41 PM
It wasn't just one return though. He looked good in the return game all night. Just because he only had 1 TD doesn't mean he didn't have other good returns. I agree he'll need to show he can do it consistently but his ability to change a game is a reason Kubiak is giving him a shot.

I said if in pre season he can give us constant good field position than great.

ALSO keep in ming the panthers had the 31st ranked Kick return coverage in the NFL. This team has been horrible at covering kicks and punts for years.

Fili
08-12-2012, 07:43 PM
If he can do it against the 49ers than I say he stays. He scored against the worst overall special team. Panthers were dead last last year, and the 49ers were 2nd overall last year. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

Texn4life
08-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I said if in pre season he can give us constant good field position than great.

ALSO keep in ming the panthers had the 31st ranked Kick return coverage in the NFL. This team has been horrible at covering kicks and punts for years.

I don't care if he did it against a high school team. He came very close to taking another return to the house.

The biggest question is if we keep him who gets left off the 53 man?

EllisUnit
08-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't care if he did it against a high school team. He came very close to taking another return to the house.

The biggest question is if we keep him who gets left off the 53 man?

My point is with so many questions at WR. I think it will be tough to keep a pure KR/PR who will not contribute on offense.

And yes it does matter who he does it against, because we have a tough schedule and u dont keep 1 guy on the team so he can do good against one team and suck against the other 15.

Texn4life
08-12-2012, 07:58 PM
My point is with so many questions at WR. I think it will be tough to keep a pure KR/PR who will not contribute on offense.

And yes it does matter who he does it against, because we have a tough schedule and u dont keep 1 guy on the team so he can do good against one team and suck against the other 15.

Kubiak has addressed this. He said he'll have to be special in order to keep him on the team. But its not like there aren't return guys in the league who don't play regularly. Look at Banks in Washington. He has a similar stature to Holliday.

And I disagree with u on who he does it against. We're looking at 2 different things it seems like. I look more for explosive ability and less about the results. The kickoff return he almost took back to the house when he was brought down by the back of his jersey impressed me more than his TD.

EllisUnit
08-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Kubiak has addressed this. He said he'll have to be special in order to keep him on the team. But its not like there aren't return guys in the league who don't play regularly. Look at Banks in Washington. He has a similar stature to Holliday.

And I disagree with u on who he does it against. We're looking at 2 different things it seems like. I look more for explosive ability and less about the results. The kickoff return he almost took back to the house when he was brought down by the back of his jersey impressed me more than his TD.

It matters who u do it against. Noone was impressed when the texans secondary dominated Rusty Smith the season they were ranked 31st, now why is that ?

My point is lets see what happens next week with the 49ers who have had a good KR coverage unit compared to the 31st ranked Panthers team.

utahmark
08-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Marciano does'nt sound convinced.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/texans-holliday-knows-highlight-reel-td-will-not-be-enough/

That was noted by special teams coach Joe Marciano on Saturday, but with reservations.

Lets not anoint him just yet, he said of Holliday. Hes a big talent with a lot of room to grow. The touchdown was great, but

Then Marciano started a point-by-point dissection of some things Holliday could have done better on his other returns, ending with, Ill know better when I see the video.

As Holliday said, its a big year for him to get attention. And, for better or worse, its starting early.

Its an intense job, he said. You just have to concentrate and do the best you can,

Keith Cannon is a freelance writer.

Texn4life
08-12-2012, 08:10 PM
It matters who u do it against. Noone was impressed when the texans secondary dominated Rusty Smith the season they were ranked 31st, now why is that ?

My point is lets see what happens next week with the 49ers who have had a good KR coverage unit compared to the 31st ranked Panthers team.

Weak argument in my opinion. What you want to see is someone make plays no matter who they're going up against. Again, you're focusing on something different than me. His ability impressed me more than the actual results.

imatexan
08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
74%.

Texan_Bill
08-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I say he is a bubble player, but he gets the green light in my opinion. The pre-season will be important for him, but he is a huge threat with the ball in his hands.

Well yeah.... Pretty much this!!

hookinreds
08-12-2012, 09:02 PM
It would really be nice to keep Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy but with only 53 roster spots it's hard to justify keeping a guy that can't do anything else. We kept Jacoby Jones on the roster for years, and he couldn't catch passes and couldn't return punts or kickoffs.

EllisUnit
08-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Weak argument in my opinion. What you want to see is someone make plays no matter who they're going up against. Again, you're focusing on something different than me. His ability impressed me more than the actual results.

i dont see how thats not a good agrument. This is the NFL, we have seen A LOT of players with tons of "college" potential not succeed in the NFL. I'm not saying he wont be a big success, but you cant crown him king of KR/PR after 1 game against a poor coverage team.

And yes you want to see a player succeed against ALL competition, not just weak opponents. What good is a QB who can only make the throws needed if it is against the worst of the worst secondaries.

dream_team
08-12-2012, 09:28 PM
It would really be nice to keep Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy but with only 53 roster spots it's hard to justify keeping a guy that can't do anything else. We'll see over the next few weeks if he can catch the ball and MAYBE we keep him as WR#6, if we carry that many. Hopefully he'll improve at WR. I agree it would be nice to allow Keshawn to concentrate on WR only. We'll see, but I'm not sure that Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy, is a luxury we can afford. I also fear the first time a 2nd or 3rd string LB opponent fighting for a roster spot on his team and trying to impress the coaches lays a massive hit on Trindon. I wonder if he'll get up.

This! ^^^

It will be very difficult, IMO, to keep Holliday as purely a KR/PR. Has anyone seen him take any reps at WR, and how has he looked? With our concerns at WR, I'd expect the Texans to keep 6 on the roster. AJ & Walter are for sure. Hard to see them not keep Jean, Martin, and Posey. That leaves Maehl, Johnson, and Holliday for that last 6th spot. Maehl is probably the best special teams player of the group, Johnson gives us experience we desperately need, and then there's Holliday. It'll be a tough battle.

With the moving up of the kickoff line, KRs are less important. IMO, in a regular season game, Holliday won't be taking alot of those kickoffs out of the end zone.

Personally, I'd like to see Martin get some reps as the returner. If Holliday is that much better, then I'm for keeping him... but that means cutting Johnson and Maehl, which I'm ok with.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Marciano does'nt sound convinced.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/texans-holliday-knows-highlight-reel-td-will-not-be-enough/

That was noted by special teams coach Joe Marciano on Saturday, but with reservations.

“Let’s not anoint him just yet,” he said of Holliday. “He’s a big talent with a lot of room to grow. The touchdown was great, but …”

Then Marciano started a point-by-point dissection of some things Holliday could have done better on his other returns, ending with, “I’ll know better when I see the video.”

As Holliday said, it’s a big year for him to get attention. And, for better or worse, it’s starting early.

“It’s an intense job,” he said. “You just have to concentrate and do the best you can,”

Keith Cannon is a freelance writer.

Funny, he wouldn't have mentioned that the blocking for Holliday wasn't there all night and that Holliday made most of what he got. The only positive thing I could say about the return blocking.........there weren't any signature Marciano special teams blocks in the back last night.:kitten:

Playoffs
08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
If we keep Holliday we lose a young WR. Need to see more before making that choice.

hookinreds
08-12-2012, 10:20 PM
We kept Jacoby Jones on the roster for years, and he couldn't catch passes and couldn't return punts or kickoffs.

Not sure you can quote your self...but I was high on Jacoby when he first started returning...as soon as he got the ball, he was upfield. I think it was 2007 Week 3 against the Colts when he got blasted running up the sideline after a 74yd punt return in the middle of the 3rd quarter. He left the game for x rays and I believe he missed a game with an injured shoulder and then was nursing it over the next few games too. Something in my head always points back to that hit as the down turn in his return career. He was balls to the wall before that decleater, and then after that, he seemed to dance and go 75% on nearly every return. But then again, if I'm a starting WR, maybe he sand bagged a little so he wouldn't lose his WR job...or just continued shell shock from that hit. It could be the same thing for Holiday...JJ set our expectations in the 2007 preseason. I believe that after that blast against the Colts, his approach changed. Granted, he did have some nice returns, but nothing like what I think he could have been. Same could be said about Holiday, he's got all the potential, and we saw it in college, and then saw the muffs "possibly" from the hand injury last year and he didn't make the squad. Hopefully he can keep it up.

powda
08-12-2012, 11:18 PM
I want to see consistently good returns and good decisions for the next two games. Ultimately, if the Texans keep 6 wideouts and their confident in the other 5 guys he has a shot to make the roster.

It sucks but I think his chances to be here hinge on how much they trust posey, martin, and jean.

Lucky
08-12-2012, 11:56 PM
It would really be nice to keep Holliday as purely a PR/KR guy but with only 53 roster spots it's hard to justify keeping a guy that can't do anything else.
Not really. You're keeping a starting kick returner over a 3rd string WR, CB, or LB. Who is going to have more of an impact?

If we keep Holliday we lose a young WR. Need to see more before making that choice.
More likely losing a vet WR (Bryant Johnson). You could cut a Bryant Johnson now, and find another just like him (if not Johnson, himself) any week of the season. No biggie.

Can Holliday consistently field punts without muffing? Can he hold on to the ball after taking a big hit? Can he stay healthy? If the answer to these questions are "yes", Holliday can make the team. Roster space has little to do with the decision.

drs23
08-13-2012, 12:15 AM
:goodpost:

Pretty much exactly the way it is.

Kubiak said himself he wants to use Holliday as a returner. Seems like he's made up his mind as long as #16 can hold up his end. I like what I watched on punts and KOs.

Three more PS games to go. Guess we'll all see about the same time.

Joe Texan
08-13-2012, 12:25 AM

The only thing I saw jacoby jones do was fumble and run to mama

Allstar
08-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Kubiak loves his projects. I say he's got a pretty good shot because we likely can't stash him on the PS anymore.

Rey
08-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Not really. You're keeping a starting kick returner over a 3rd string WR, CB, or LB. Who is going to have more of an impact?

More likely losing a vet WR (Bryant Johnson). You could cut a Bryant Johnson now, and find another just like him (if not Johnson, himself) any week of the season. No biggie.

Can Holliday consistently field punts without muffing? Can he hold on to the ball after taking a big hit? Can he stay healthy? If the answer to these questions are "yes", Holliday can make the team. Roster space has little to do with the decision.

Best post in this thread.

Texn4life
08-13-2012, 12:54 AM
I also think it's telling that a guy like Joseph would go out of his way to go celebrate with him in the end zone. Don't doubt one bit that the players on the team aren't excited about how electric he is.

painekiller
08-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Kubiak loves his projects. I say he's got a pretty good shot because we likely can't stash him on the PS anymore.

I would not call this one Kubiak's project, to me it's more of a Coach Joe's project. Coach Joe was the one that got on the table to draft the kid.

ObsiWan
08-13-2012, 01:37 AM

[cough] *Alan Ball* [cough]
:spin:

GP
08-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Everyone loves an underdog.

Trindon scoring the kickoff TD was like Rudy getting into the game for Notre Dame. Everybody roots for the underdog.

Honestly, I'd like a full season off from hyped-up special teams returners. It takes one dumbass muff to ruin everyone's year.

Honestly there's been ONE return guy in this team's history who had reliable hands. He never took one to the house, but in two years here he returned 117 kickoffs, returned 72 punts, and fumbled one time out of those 189 touches on returns.

His name was JJ and it didn't stand for Jacoby Jones...it was JJ Moses.

Trindon has a helluva job ahead of himself if he wants to impress GP. To me, JJ Moses is the role model...you didn't have to worry about him hosing us with muffed or careless punts/kickoffs.

Trindon is like 1 inch into a mile long journey...people need to slow down.

NitroGSXR
08-13-2012, 01:46 AM

You're mostly right but roster space has a little more to do with the decision in this case because we do have a viable returner on the team in Manning if all goes to heck. We are as balanced of a team as we ever have been. Versatility has been a big Kubiak theme. Holliday's going to have to catch some passes or do some successful end rounds. I can't see him sticking if he can't do something else good.

Just a FWIW, I like Holliday a whole bunch. I hope he makes the team. I think he's a playmaker.

Malloy
08-13-2012, 07:34 AM
As mentioned in another thread, I'm hoping to see Holliday lining up as a WR next weekend. If he does, and does not make an ass of himself, he's got a real good shot at making the team.

08-13-2012, 09:19 AM
My question is, why haven't we put Forsett out there at returner? If Holliday doesn't make the squad, I think we should give Forsett a shot... that is, if HE makes the team.

Thorn
08-13-2012, 09:32 AM
My question is, why haven't we put Forsett out there at returner? If Holliday doesn't make the squad, I think we should give Forsett a shot... that is, if HE makes the team.

And this is going to be the defining issue. Can Holliday stand so far out as a Kick/Punt returner that we are going to use a roster spot on him for just that one duty? Or, do we have someone that can return punts and kickoffs (probably not quite as good though) but that can also legitimately play another position?

Holliday is not going to legitimately play another position. He's to damn small. He makes the team because he's so damn good at returns he's worth a spot on the roster. Or not. This is the same deal as it's always been, it's just this year Holiday is showing us something.

Corrosion
08-13-2012, 09:41 AM
His chances to make the team ? Still slim .... but better than past years.

May come down to how many they keep at other positions. QB , RB , WR and OL are all area's that are in question. Keeping an extra at any of those spots would be a luxury that may affect his chances.

HOU-TEX
08-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Funny, he wouldn't have mentioned that the blocking for Holliday wasn't there all night and that Holliday made most of what he got. The only positive thing I could say about the return blocking.........there weren't any signature Marciano special teams blocks in the back last night.:kitten:

Casey grabbing and pulling his man out of the way for Holliday's TD return wasn't a signature block? Ha. Casey got lucky

cland
08-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I think Holliday not only has to continue to show special talent in the return game, he has to beat out the other potential return guys who can play an offensive position. If Keshawn Martin comes in and impresses at KR/PR then that's the end of the road for Holliday.

TimeKiller
08-13-2012, 11:13 AM
How about Holliday or a 2nd string FB like Moran Norris? Casey makes it possible...to go with no FBs that is.

This is all assuming Holliday can continue his success when the competition amps up.

And 3 years later....I'm STILL wondering why not give him a look as a RB. So small, so fast...he would be like lightning coming through or around a line.

GP
08-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Just go with four RBs, have Grimes be the returner. Roster problems solved.

I don't want a return-only guy on the roster. I want the roster maximized, and holding a spot in the 53 for a return man is not prudent...whether Holliday is legit or not.

He untested. And now is not the time to test it out.

The same with Bullock. There isn't room for us to test out a rookie FG kicker. If Graham makes his kicks this preseason, give me the veteran who has been there done that. There's no room to experiment anymore.

But if Holliday makes the 53, I'll support the decision and rally 'round him. I just think we need every person the roster to be a guy who is contributing via his talents (Foster, AJ, the stars)...or via their versatility (Casey at TE and FB, Grimes at RB and KR, Brooks at multiple OL positions).

08-13-2012, 11:27 AM
And 3 years later....I'm STILL wondering why not give him a look as a RB. So small, so fast...he would be like lightning coming through or around a line.

It might be because he could very well be the first NFL player to ever die on the field if that were to happen in a regular season situation.

The Medic01
08-13-2012, 11:30 AM
It might be because he could very well be the first NFL player to ever die on the field if that were to happen in a regular season situation.

God could you imagine vs Ravens Ben Tate and Foster are restin Holiday is out there run down the middle Ngata or Ray Lewis gets him. That's it for him.

Corrosion
08-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Its going to be either Trycycle or Martin for returns .... those guy's have special speed. Grimes might be a solid player but I cant see him getting return duties. Just doesnt have the elite speed he seems to me to be a Foster size back without the elusiveness and speed.

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2012, 11:44 AM

I think we know we've got certain guys that can take over the return duties. Manning, Forsett, and Keshawn are all returners. Heck, even Demps and I think Keo have returning on their resume. I know they've been practicing returns with K-Mart.

They didn't put any of those guys out there to return because this is Trindon's shot. This is his chance to show what he can do at the specialized position he was drafted. To be able to make the team, he's got to be hands down better than all those other options to return the ball.

If he's not, if he's only a little better than those guys, then he doesn't make the team. So this is his shot.

Rey
08-13-2012, 11:49 AM
How about Holliday or a 2nd string FB like Moran Norris? Casey makes it possible...to go with no FBs that is.

This is all assuming Holliday can continue his success when the competition amps up.

I think if trindon shows success returning kicks then the coaches might be tempted to try to get him the ball on offense in some kind of way.

Corrosion
08-13-2012, 11:51 AM
I think we know we've got certain guys that can take over the return duties. Manning, Forsett, and Keshawn are all returners. Heck, even Demps and I think Keo have returning on their resume. I know they've been practicing returns with K-Mart.

They didn't put any of those guys out there to return because this is Trindon's shot. This is his chance to show what he can do at the specialized position he was drafted. To be able to make the team, he's got to be hands down better than all those other options to return the ball.

If he's not, if he's only a little better than those guys, then he doesn't make the team. So this is his shot.

This is the bottom line.

But as I stated above , not carrying a specialized return man allows them to keep depth at another position .... I really think this plays into Trycycle making the final 53. If someone just plays too well to get cut loose , it hurts his chances significantly especially considering how many other guy's can handle those return duties.

Keo did a solid job with PR's last season when he got the opportunity , no mistakes even if he wasnt a threat to take one the distance.

Demps had some KR duties during the Slaton experiment ... #20 had to be one of the worst I can recall at the position.

Rey
08-13-2012, 11:57 AM
His chances to make the team ? Still slim .... but better than past years.

May come down to how many they keep at other positions. QB , RB , WR and OL are all area's that are in question. Keeping an extra at any of those spots would be a luxury that may affect his chances.

Interesting that you mention qb.

I think it's more than likely that we keep three, but is there a chance Kubiak's reverts to his carry 2 philosophy?

I doubt it, but I could see a case for it. If you don't trust beck or keenum to come in and continue to help us win games then there really is no need to have them in the roster. Also, if you think Yates is one if those durable types if guys I could see it. But with schaubs health history I just don't think it's likely at all.

Plus kubiak has pretty much said they'll carry three.

RB and o line are tricky.

For the o line I'd only carry 9. The starting 5, and four versatile back ups.

RB, I'd carry three, four max. The lb position might be shaved down some. I like nading, but he could be odd man out.

Texanmike02
08-13-2012, 11:57 AM
If you have a potential game changer returning kicks it is worth a roster spot. I know we're limited to 53 and that every man is important but if you have a guy with the potential to change the field position you have to keep him.

I'm not saying he is Hester or that he is anything special but you have to find out. If he is "that special" then you keep him. If he keeps a starter like Manning or (maybe starter like) Martin off of the field then he is the same as depth at that position. From what I saw the kid can flat out fly. The reality is you have 3 more games to figure that out. If he is special then you keep him, it could be the difference between starting at your own 20 and your own 30. That is a big difference. If you think of it in terms of touches...

How many touches is your 5th receiver going to get? You've got to figure that your KR/PR will get at least 8 touches a game, maybe more. If you have a special one you have to keep him. (Not saying he's special yet, but he well could be.)

Mike

kwayshauntay
08-13-2012, 11:59 AM
74%.

72.345% 4.923%

08-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Honestly, I don't want to see Martin out there returning kicks at all... I want us to work him strictly as a receiver. He has way too much potential to be getting hurt running back a kickoff or a punt.

rmartin65
08-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Honestly, I don't want to see Martin out there returning kicks at all... I want us to work him strictly as a receiver. He has way too much potential to be getting hurt running back a kickoff or a punt.

Steve Smith returns kicks. Daniel Manning returned kicks for us last year, and he is pretty important.

It is a risk, but if he is your best KR, you go for it.

That said, I like Holliday as the returner.

b0ng
08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
If Holliday can hold on to the ball and keep making decent returns like he did on Saturday night I think he's got a good chance to make the final 53. You know what would help him a hell of a lot more? Contributing to the offense.

Texanmike02
08-13-2012, 12:35 PM
If Holliday can hold on to the ball and keep making decent returns like he did on Saturday night I think he's got a good chance to make the final 53. You know what would help him a hell of a lot more? Contributing to the offense.

I hope there's not much of a shot for him to help on offense. That means that our WR depth is better than we anticipated. Even if that is the case, I hope he is a guy that other teams have to fear and kick away from. I'm not saying he is but we've never had a guy the opposition fears. I don't know if he can be that guy but he is the first guy we've ever had that has that kind of speed. Manning is fast, Jones was fast but Holliday is world class fast. If teams have to worry about him returning it all the way it will translate into better field position.

Mike

GP
08-13-2012, 12:37 PM

Exactly.

Which is why I suggest putting Grimes as RB4 AND using him as returner.

If he gets hurt, all we lost was a UDFA fourth string RB. If he stays healthy, we have a guy with good moves returning the kicks/punts AND we have an emergency RB who wasn't risked at the waiver wire trying to get him to our PS.

Seems to be the most prudent thing to do, if we're playing the odds...and the odd say that the Texans always have injuries at the critical positions.

But I'm under no illusions this can happen. Apparently there are those in the Texans decision-making realm (Kubiak, Marciano, heck even maybe the GM himself) who are bound and determined to make Trindon Holliday our newest pet project #1. We've seen this song and dance before.

Corrosion
08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Interesting that you mention qb.

I think it's more than likely that we keep three, but is there a chance Kubiak's reverts to his carry 2 philosophy?

I think its very possible we end up with only Yates and Schaub on the active roster with Keenum on the PS .... That gives them maximum roster flexability , Keenum would still be in house and able to perform the same duties he would now in practice.

Then again , if he shows too well the rest of preseason , they wont have the luxury of stashing him on the PS for fear of someone signing him away.

I doubt it, but I could see a case for it. If you don't trust beck or keenum to come in and continue to help us win games then there really is no need to have them in the roster. Also, if you think Yates is one if those durable types if guys I could see it. But with schaubs health history I just don't think it's likely at all.

Schaubs health is the big factor here .... But I do believe Yates to be a durable guy. He took some pretty big shots last yearand got right back up without hesitation. Freak accidents can still happen tho ....

Plus kubiak has pretty much said they'll carry three.

He's been a bit wishywashy on this from what Ive heard .... It could really go either way.

I dont see Beck sticking FWIW.

[/quote]
RB and o line are tricky.

For the o line I'd only carry 9. The starting 5, and four versatile back ups.

RB, I'd carry three, four max. The lb position might be shaved down some. I like nading, but he could be odd man out.[/QUOTE]

OL is a tricky position because of the versatility of some of the backups - Ben Jones and Brandon Brooks specifically , each can play two or more positions , meaning you might get away with only 8 OL instead of 9. Would I count on that scenario .... not sure at this point.

RB they have an embarrassing wealth of talent , Foster and Tate obviously the creme of the crop while Forsett , Grimes and Meggett all have potential at the position and have the ability to play ST .... I'd only keep three but could see a scenario where they keep four.
Right now , I have no idea who would win that third roster spot. Its just too close to call.

WR is another position where they could go anywhere between 4 to 6 deep. I think its probable they keep five - AJ , KW , Martin , Posey and Jean.

LB is going to be a hard one to call as well and I think you may be right that Nading is going to be the odd man out. Then again , he does a lot on ST and that may keep him on the roster.
(how many LBers did they keep last season? 9 or 10)

Barwin , Reed , Braman , Mercilus , Cushing , James , Dobbins , Alexander - I think are locks with Sharpton and Nading on the bubble.

I'll start a thread on the final 53 for opening day , that may give us further insight.

macho grande
08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Keep Holiday. Cut Maehl.

drs23
08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Keep Holiday. Cut Maehl.

Cut alligator arm boy? Surely you jest. :kitten:

SteveSlaton20
08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
I think it depends on who are the last guys remaining. If he keeps playing like he did Saturday, then I'd give it a 80% chance he makes it. It doesn't even need to be TD's either, just good returns. He had two or three returns from at least 5 yards deep in the end zone, and got us passed the 25 both times. He keeps doing that, he'll be on the 53 man.

amazing80
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM

I don't want a return-only guy on the roster. I want the roster maximized, and holding a spot in the 53 for a return man is not prudent...whether Holliday is legit or not.

He untested. And now is not the time to test it out.

The same with Bullock. There isn't room for us to test out a rookie FG kicker. If Graham makes his kicks this preseason, give me the veteran who has been there done that. There's no room to experiment anymore.

But if Holliday makes the 53, I'll support the decision and rally 'round him. I just think we need every person the roster to be a guy who is contributing via his talents (Foster, AJ, the stars)...or via their versatility (Casey at TE and FB, Grimes at RB and KR, Brooks at multiple OL positions).

This is just a ridiculous idea, you're basically saying that rookies are useless and you prefer veterans. If the guy is a game changer than keep him and decide on another guy down the list who could go to PS or just be cut.

Regardless we are deciding prematurely. Let him finish the next 3 games and see how he does.

Brandon420tx
08-13-2012, 08:28 PM
I can see him being a gunner on punts too. Mostly to down Hartmans punts. I wonder if he can outrun his boomers

So KR/PR, WR6, Special Teams gunner. should be good enough to make the team

Lucky
08-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Which is why I suggest putting Grimes as RB4 AND using him as returner.
Grimes has never returned punts, so you would still need to use someone (like Martin) in that capacity.

Forsett has NFL experience as a kick and punt returner. He would make more sense than Grimes.

I'm a little baffled about the concern regarding Grimes. He's an UDFA. He gained 36 yards in a preseason game. There's nothing to suggest he wouldn't be stashable on the practice squad. And even if the remote possibility that Grimes was claimed on waivers proves true, he's still a 4th string RB who probably wouldn't have gotten many touches (if any) this season. Don't get it.

Rey
08-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Grimes has never returned punts, so you would still need to use someone (like Martin) in that capacity.

Forsett has NFL experience as a kick and punt returner. He would make more sense than Grimes.

I'm a little baffled about the concern regarding Grimes. He's an UDFA. He gained 36 yards in a preseason game. There's nothing to suggest he wouldn't be stashable on the practice squad. And even if the remote possibility that Grimes was claimed on waivers proves true, he's still a 4th string RB who probably wouldn't have gotten many touches (if any) this season. Don't get it.

I think grimes is going to be really good. Jmo.

I think if we lose Tate in free agency in two years or if we trade him grimes would be an excellent back up for Arian.

I don't want to lose him and I think he is the type if back that can excel in any system but I think he can be really good in our system.

Of course he needs to go out and prove it, but that's jmo. I think his ceiling is a bit higher than forsetts so if it came down to it, grimes is who I'd keep. But I have no idea what the team thinks about the situation.

Lucky
08-13-2012, 11:02 PM
I think if we lose Tate in free agency in two years or if we trade him grimes would be an excellent back up for Arian.
That's 2 years from now. A slew of backs can come through the organization in that time. And I still haven't heard an explanation as to why Grimes is in danger of being picked up off waivers. Arian Foster was on the practice squad for for 10 weeks in 2009, and no team touched him. Just doesn't happen often.

drs23
08-13-2012, 11:36 PM
That's 2 years from now. A slew of backs can come through the organization in that time. And I still haven't heard an explanation as to why Grimes is in danger of being picked up off waivers. Arian Foster was on the practice squad for for 10 weeks in 2009, and no team touched him. Just doesn't happen often.

That's true but Malcom Sheppard AND his Dad were ripped from our PS by the Tits!

Rey
08-13-2012, 11:47 PM

I really don't care about the ps debate. I thought we should have put yates on the ps last year and felt like he'd have been safe so I understand your point.

But I think grimes is just a flat out good rb and I like how he runs more than I like Forsett.

And I like Forsett, so it's not a knock on him. I'm just a big grimes fan.

Lucky
08-14-2012, 12:02 AM
That's true but Malcom Sheppard AND his Dad were ripped from our PS by the Tits!
Yes, losing New Texan to the Titans stung.

GP
08-14-2012, 01:18 PM

That was before anybody thought Gary Kubiak knew anything about finding a good RB. Up until that point, Gary's accomplishments at finding RBs was limited to guys such as Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Steve Slaton. Foster and Tate have radically changed how people view our RB scouting skills.

Now all eyes are on Houston. If we have a guy on our current roster and cut him, hoping he gets sent to the PS...other teams are going to seriously think that we're trying to stash another future Arian Foster. They can get a guy like Grimes right off the waiver wire, or...any team can make an offer and sign that player off of our own PS (if they want to put that RB onto their own starting roster, of course). The junk that's out there, combined with how well the Texans have identified RBs, it's a perfect storm for a guy like Grimes to slip away on accident.

I really don't care about the ps debate. I thought we should have put yates on the ps last year and felt like he'd have been safe so I understand your point.

But I think grimes is just a flat out good rb and I like how he runs more than I like Forsett.

And I like Forsett, so it's not a knock on him. I'm just a big grimes fan.

I had nothing to go on with Grimes, other than college highlights, so my first view of him in his first preseason game vs. what I saw of Forsett tells me that Grimes is the more electric, the more dynamic runner of the two. The hip wiggle, the bounce, and the burst Grimes displayed (not to mention his vision and picking the right holes and angles) made me a believer.

Of course, a spotty effort in the remaining preseason games can change that opinion.

rarazz00
08-14-2012, 11:54 PM
I have been pulling for this guy and I'm glad to see him shine. even if it's for one pre season game. I would hate the thought of having to play against him, much less if he were picked up by our division foes....cheers to Pee Wee Holliday!!!!:whip:

Texn4life
08-15-2012, 12:21 AM
I just want him to stay hungry and focused. With his speed and quickness he's going to make plays. Focusing on securing the ball and setting up his blocking are 2 things that are gonna be huge for him. A lot of fast return guys don't have the patience necessary to be great as a return man.

Lucky
08-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Now all eyes are on Houston. If we have a guy on our current roster and cut him, hoping he gets sent to the PS...other teams are going to seriously think that we're trying to stash another future Arian Foster. They can get a guy like Grimes right off the waiver wire, or...any team can make an offer and sign that player off of our own PS (if they want to put that RB onto their own starting roster, of course). The junk that's out there, combined with how well the Texans have identified RBs, it's a perfect storm for a guy like Grimes to slip away on accident.
So the Texans merely signing Grimes has enhanced his status in the league? Well, they signed Forsett, too. Maybe they can get a 3rd round pick for him? I mean, he was good enough for the Texans to sign, and he has been sprinkled with the Texans magic RB dust.

Seriously?

Dutchrudder
08-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Holliday deserves some love for this awesome return. He's pretty fast when he's not on the tricycle.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Holliday1.gif

Shaft75
08-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Holliday deserves some love for this awesome return. He's pretty fast when he's not on the tricycle.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Holliday1.gif

Braman looks like he's just floating along right before Holiday hits pay dirt. Also Cedric Smith is right there with him. I wonder if he may get the nod over Norris at backup FB. Highly unlikely, but I like the kid. Way better than the converted LB Abbate from a couple of years ago.

I think Holiday gets his crack this year. He needs to have a Mathis/Davis year though to keep his spot on the roster for the duration. Poor guy has the deck stacked against him though after the new kickoff rules. Which is way I can't stand the new rules. Boys become men with some electrifying returns in the NFL.

thunderkyss
08-16-2012, 03:14 AM
That was before anybody thought Gary Kubiak knew anything about finding a good RB. Up until that point, Gary's accomplishments at finding RBs was limited to guys such as Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Steve Slaton. Foster and Tate have radically changed how people view ...

So on the one hand, we can't afford a roster spot for the guy Marciano hand picked, or a rookie kicker, but on the other hand we need to invest that same roster spot ln Kubrick's diamond in the rough.

I'm not getting it. If we trust that Kubrick has a knack for finding these guys then so what if someone snatches him off the practice squad. Jeremiah & Ogbadala were those guys & we''ve done fine since then.

I like Forsett & would hate to lose him just as much as Grimes. Grime has ps eligibility, Forsett doesn't. I'd roll the dice & see what happens:butterfly:

Rey
08-16-2012, 03:37 AM
So on the one hand, we can't afford a roster spot for the guy Marciano hand picked, or a rookie kicker, but on the other hand we need to invest that same roster spot ln Kubrick's diamond in the rough.

I'm not getting it. If we trust that Kubrick has a knack for finding these guys then so what if someone snatches him off the practice squad. Jeremiah & Ogbadala were those guys & we''ve done fine since then.

I like Forsett & would hate to lose him just as much as Grimes. Grime has ps eligibility, Forsett doesn't. I'd roll the dice & see what happens:butterfly:

I don't understand what ps eligibility has to do with anything.

Just keep the better player. If it's Forsett, keep him and try to get grimes on the ps as a caveat.

If it's grimes then keep him on the team and wish Forsett luck.

Why would you put grimes on the ps if he is the better player and can help the team more? Makes no sense to me.

thunderkyss
08-16-2012, 04:09 AM
Why would you put grimes on the ps if he is the better player and can help the team more? Makes no sense to me.
Absolutely, if you think Grimes is the better player. But I don't. I also don't know if I would release my veteran backup at this position because it is possible that we'll finish the season with Forsett, Grimes, & a player yet to be named as our only healthy RBs. You never know.

This early into the season, if I have to start making those decisions, ps eligibility will play a major role in my decision making.

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2012, 08:06 PM
A nice article by SI.

Holliday trying to become Texans' return man (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/wires/08/15/2020.ap.fbn.texans.holliday.1st.ld.writethru.0955/index.html)

drs23
08-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the read Doc.

Will continue to be interesting the remainder of PS since tomorrow the 'training camp' routine will be over giving way to the regular season gig. Trindon will get his shots.

I'd like to see him do well. He'll have to excel for two more games to be in the running for a roster spot though.

I read the averages earlier, I *think* the KO return was 26 and the PR was 11. I'd really like Holliday to do 27 & 12.

He's exciting to watch but if he falls short there's #82. Between the two I'm not cringing every time a ball get's kicked. I'm an underdog kinda guy. I hope Holliday can get it done. If not, K Mart gets the nod and that will be exciting as well.

76Texan
08-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Absolutely, if you think Grimes is the better player. But I don't. I also don't know if I would release my veteran backup at this position because it is possible that we'll finish the season with Forsett, Grimes, & a player yet to be named as our only healthy RBs. You never know.

This early into the season, if I have to start making those decisions, ps eligibility will play a major role in my decision making.

Personally, I think the #3 RB slot is still wide open.

Meggett also did a fine job despite very few holes available.
None of these 3 guys seperates himself from the pack.

While PS eligibility is a concern, so is the salary we pay a player going forward.

It's a tough business the more success the team has.

If a young guy shows that he's close to fulfill a veteran's duty (especially as a backup where it's not very critical), the vet may find himself counting against the cap number.

I hate numbers!

Rey
08-17-2012, 01:50 AM

Still doesn't make any sense to me. The better player should be on the roster.

We aren't discussing who we think is the better player right now. We are talking about the role practice squad eligibility plays on the decision making.

Makes no sense to me to cut a guy you think is better than the guy you keep simply because he's ps eligible.

If the late round draft pick o lineman, mondek, is better than who ever is in front of him would you like to see him cut too since he's ps eligible?

What about Lestar Jean? If he is better than Bryant Johnson would you like to see him cut since he has ps eligibility and bj is a vet?

I seriously don't get that line if thinking. Makes 0 sense to me.

PS eligibility should not be a part of the decision making process. Just keep the better player. Keep the guy you think will be more beneficial to your team.

thunderkyss
08-17-2012, 04:10 AM

Absolutely, if you think the guy is better.

Just thought I'd repeat that part.

Texn4life
08-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Holliday is on the team now. Time to talk about who gets left off.

mocean
08-18-2012, 11:04 PM

I bet Bryant Johnston is getting nervous right about now

wolf123
08-18-2012, 11:26 PM

No way he makes the team.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2012, 11:38 PM

I agree. I wasn't on the Holliday bandwagon before tonight but now, I don't see how he can be kept off the team. I expect our WR corps to be:

1. AJ
2. KW
3a. KMart
3b. Lestar
5. Posey
6. Holliday

But like you said, that means we're going to have to cut someone from somewhere.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2012, 11:39 PM

I didn't have Bryant Johnson making the team BEFORE this.

Rey
08-19-2012, 12:13 AM
I dont gave to leave anyone off because I already had him on the team.

Matter of fact I've seen a few people make rosters with trindon making it.

TEXANRED
08-19-2012, 12:20 AM
I agree. I wasn't on the Holliday bandwagon before tonight but now, I don't see how he can be kept off the team. I expect our WR corps to be:

1. AJ
2. KW
3a. KMart
3b. Lestar
5. Posey
6. Holliday

But like you said, that means we're going to have to cut someone from somewhere.
We need to find a better name for Martin. KMart is reserved for a bum who quit on his team cus his feelings got hurt.

Norg
08-19-2012, 01:04 AM
i would just like to add yes right now we have alot of good wr and we cant carry them all

but the main point is is our team really built to be a WR Farm nope

i thought we alwasy carried more TE/s and RB ..????

finally this is what it feels like to be a good team ...LOL

SheTexan
08-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Trinton is ADORABLE!! Really knows how to play the crowd too!! I LOVED it!! He had the Bullpen going nuts! Chants of HOLLIDAY, HOLLIDAY, HOLLIDAY just about everytime he stepped on the field! GAWD, I love football! Great time tonight watching our boys do their THANG! They have some work to do, BUT, dang it was great seeing them out there on that field!! FUN times!!

rolyat93
08-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Starting to feel like DeVier Posey might get one of those mystery injuries.:kitten:

Ryan
08-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Starting to feel like DeVier Posey might get one of those mystery injuries.:kitten:

Why would that be? There's no way they would even attempt to cut their 3rd round pick or try to put him on the practice squad. Not like he won't have an opportunity to contribute.

Bulls on Parade
08-19-2012, 01:54 AM
What exactly is holding Trindon Holliday back from being something special as a wide receiver? He's faster and quicker than Keshawn Martin but obvously he's not nearly the route runner. I've been real impressed with both Lestar Jean and Keshawn Martin and feel they are earning their spots as not only three and four but two and three on the depth chart. In my eyes, Kevin Walter has fallen from two to four but Kubiak will pencil him in as the two regardless.

RagingBull
08-19-2012, 01:59 AM
The mystery injury would be so they could stash him on IR instead of the practice squad or use up a roster spot.

Bulls on Parade
08-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Not a bad idea if the Texans plan to carry only 5 WRs. He hasn't earned a spot on the team so far. He's looked horrible in fact. They can't just put him on the practice squad because another team will surely claim him as a third-round pick with potential. If he can somehow end up on IR that would be the best case scenario.

RagingBull. Agreed bro. That would be great for the Texans.

thunderkyss
08-19-2012, 02:15 AM
In my eyes, Kevin Walter has fallen from two to four but Kubiak will pencil him in as the two regardless.

Kubiak wants to win games just as much as we want him to win games. He'll probably continue to trot Walter out there as a starter, but he'll give the snaps to the kids if they continue to work hard & act like pros.

JCTexan
08-19-2012, 02:20 AM
Not a bad idea if the Texans plan to carry only 5 WRs. He hasn't earned a spot on the team so far. He's looked horrible in fact. They can't just put him on the practice squad because another team will surely claim him as a third-round pick with potential. If he can somehow end up on IR that would be the best case scenario.

Posey has been non-existent so far. In fact I don't recall seeing him on the field tonight. What makes you say he looks horrible? He hasn't had too many targets yet. He had one target against Carolina and it was a terribly thrown ball and none that I could recall tonight. Has his route-running been awful that you could tell?

rolyat93
08-19-2012, 02:23 AM
The mystery injury would be so they could stash him on IR instead of the practice squad or use up a roster spot.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2012, 03:36 AM
Posey has been non-existent so far. In fact I don't recall seeing him on the field tonight. What makes you say he looks horrible? He hasn't had too many targets yet. He had one target against Carolina and it was a terribly thrown ball and none that I could recall tonight. Has his route-running been awful that you could tell?

IIRC, Keenum threw a pass to him tonight but... iirc... it wasn't a very catchable ball.

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 09:34 AM

He didnt play tonight until the game was decided and was not targeted for a pass.

He had one target last week from Keenum that was uncatchable.

Yes , Martin and Jean have looked better , they have been on the field significantly more and with the 1's & 2's.

Not out of the realm of possibility .... they did it with Jean last year.

Kubiak has praised all three of those young recievers .... but Martin and Jean have shown with live bullets flying.

Hard to state he looks terrible when he hasnt had much in game opportunity and you havent seen him on the field , if anything I'd say he gets an incomplete.

Rey
08-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Hopefully, at worse, posey is this years Brandon Harris.

amazing80
08-19-2012, 09:41 AM
The thing that confuses me is why Posey is not even getting a chance with the 1s OR 2s....Gary must have no intention of keeping him this season and IRresort is his destination.....

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Hopefully, at worse, posey is this years Brandon Harris.

Thats what Im thinking as well .... tho I could see him hidden on IR.

kingh99
08-19-2012, 09:49 AM
IIRC, Keenum threw a pass to him tonight but... iirc... it wasn't a very catchable ball.

Or he made the wrong cut. He's lost out there. Posey's confidence is shot.

Rey
08-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Thats what Im thinking as well .... tho I could see him hidden on IR.

Honestly I don't see that, but I wouldn't mind it if it meant an extra roster spot somewhere.

Corrosion
08-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Honestly I don't see that, but I wouldn't mind it if it meant an extra roster spot somewhere.

I dont see it happening , just saying its a possibility , especially if another guy really shows he belongs at another position.

This years cuts are going to be really interesting .... Trycycle likely wont be one of them.

Playoffs
08-19-2012, 10:16 AM
The last Texans player to return 2 for TDs in the preseason was...

Jacoby Jones, 2007.

BigTimeTexanFan
08-19-2012, 11:07 AM
The opening game kickoff return would have been a TD if he had cut to the left side of the field and not turned up the middle. There was nobody out there. Great job by Holliday though.

Texn4life
08-19-2012, 11:14 AM
The funny thing is his criticism is "if he would have done this he would have had a TD" or "that 10 yard punt return wasn't very good". Devin Hester doesn't return every kick for a touchdown people! What is wrong with you!?!?

Rey
08-19-2012, 11:28 AM
The opening game kickoff return would have been a TD if he had cut to the left side of the field and not turned up the middle. There was nobody out there. Great job by Holliday though.

Yeah I don't think he saw that guy coming. He'll probably be kicking himself when he watches the film.

Still, that was a good return.

panamamyers
08-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Still waiting on Holliday to make the Pro Bowl before I go and dig up my post from 2010 claiming we were making a huge mistake by not playing him.
He has had superstar written all over him sine the first return he ever made for the Texans. Just lucky we kept having him fall back into our laps.

Malloy
08-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Did anyone notice how Braman picked up Holliday after his second return? If you have access to the game go look, I laughed my ass off :)

utahmark
08-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Still waiting on Holliday to make the Pro Bowl before I go and dig up my post from 2010 claiming we were making a huge mistake by not playing him.
He has had superstar written all over him sine the first return he ever made for the Texans. Just lucky we kept having him fall back into our laps.

He looked lost his first year here. There was nothing that justified him making the team two years ago or last year. This year is a different story.

Texn4life
08-19-2012, 12:29 PM
He looked lost his first year here. There was nothing that justified him making the team two years ago or last year. This year is a different story.

He looked lost? He didn't even play. He got hurt early in preseason.

infantrycak
08-19-2012, 12:35 PM
He looked lost? He didn't even play. He got hurt early in preseason.

He played the first three preseason games and looked hesitant.

Texn4life
08-19-2012, 12:46 PM
He played the first three preseason games and looked hesitant.

Wrong! We played the Saints the second game of the preseason and he dropped two kicks because he had a hurt hand. That was his first significant action his rookie year.

infantrycak
08-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Wrong! We played the Saints the second game of the preseason and he dropped two kicks because he had a hurt hand. That was his first significant action his rookie year.

He was placed on injured reserve two days after the third preseason game against the Cowboys.

I hope he continues as he has done this year and makes the team but I am not going to revise history. He looked bad up to getting injured.

Texn4life
08-19-2012, 01:28 PM
He was placed on injured reserve two days after the third preseason game against the Cowboys.

I hope he continues as he has done this year and makes the team but I am not going to revise history. He looked bad up to getting injured.

Did he play the Cowboys game? He's been hurt a lot since he's been here. But to say he's been bad is is far fetched. I really am curious about the Cowboy game. I don't think he played. And I know he only got 1 or 2 returns the first preseason game his rookie year.

infantrycak
08-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Did he play the Cowboys game? He's been hurt a lot since he's been here. But to say he's been bad is is far fetched. I really am curious about the Cowboy game. I don't think he played. And I know he only got 1 or 2 returns the first preseason game his rookie year.

Link (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78211&highlight=holliday) - I wasn't the only one who was unimpressed with him as a rookie.

Texn4life
08-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Link (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78211&highlight=holliday) - I wasn't the only one who was unimpressed with him as a rookie.

You didn't answer my question. So were you wrong or not? Did he play 3 games his rookie year?

badboy
08-19-2012, 02:10 PM

We aren't discussing who we think is the better player right now. We are talking about the role practice squad eligibility plays on the decision making.

Makes no sense to me to cut a guy you think is better than the guy you keep simply because he's ps eligible.

If the late round draft pick o lineman, mondek, is better than who ever is in front of him would you like to see him cut too since he's ps eligible?

What about Lestar Jean? If he is better than Bryant Johnson would you like to see him cut since he has ps eligibility and bj is a vet?

I seriously don't get that line if thinking. Makes 0 sense to me.

PS eligibility should not be a part of the decision making process. Just keep the better player. Keep the guy you think will be more beneficial to your team.for me it would depend on what role the "roster making player" is expected to fullfill. If we are debating 2 guys at end of roster, I might not select the "better" of the two. PS eligibility could well play a role.

welsh texan
08-19-2012, 02:17 PM
If Holliday makes the team he will seriously hurt our offensive stats...taking it back to the house all the time and forcing us to KO straight back to their O.

But in seriousness, if he continues as he has started this pre-season, and considering the investment they've put into him, he's got to make the team. You can't turn away that sort of game-changing talent and its something we've missed for a long time right now.

A good returner can win you a couple of games a season that you may have otherwise lost.

I'm sure there are a few plays that could be worked in on offense to take advantage as well, surely someone of Kubiak's ability can design something to get him an open lane to the endzone once in a while with his speed.

infantrycak
08-19-2012, 02:32 PM
You didn't answer my question. So were you wrong or not? Did he play 3 games his rookie year?

I can't find any stats. The Cowboys game appears on his game log. All I can tell you was I was very hopeful for him as a rookie and like others was disappointed. He appears much better now and I hope he makes the team. I am not slagging him at all.

badboy
08-19-2012, 03:03 PM
From our March 25, 2010 mock (Rmartin65, Beerlover and Badboy):

Round 6B: LSU KR Trindon Holliday, 5’5” 166 lbs

Another repeat from our earlier mock, Holliday has done nothing to dispel our belief in him. He is a lightning fast player, running an official time of 4.34, but several stopwatches had him below Chris Johnson’s magic mark of 4.24. In addition to blazing straight line speed, Holliday possesses excellent change of direction ability. He is very hard to tackle despite his size, as he can be hard to spot, and hard to get good body positioning on. One of Holliday’s best attributes is his “feel” for the kick return game. He knows how to find the crease and go. He could do a better job using his blockers though. Holliday should get a handful of plays on offense, due to his incredible speed. The occasional screen or vertical route would keep the opposing defense honest. In addition, Holliday would make for an excellent decoy. He has good enough hands to make him a legitimate receiving threat. He is not a track guy playing football; he does not shy away from contact.

Dutchrudder
08-19-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty happy with Holliday's return game now, not just the TD scoring returns, but his whole body of work. He looks like a completely different player than he did last year. I also appreciate the fact that he is displacing Daniel Manning at the kick return spot, and reducing his exposure to big hits. I would much rather see Holliday taking those hits and using energy to run the ball, rather than Manning. I hope he makes this team now as a return man and a WR6 in case some one goes down during a game. He might even have some use in the run game in the way we have seen Kmart used.

Texn4life
08-19-2012, 04:58 PM
I can't find any stats. The Cowboys game appears on his game log. All I can tell you was I was very hopeful for him as a rookie and like others was disappointed. He appears much better now and I hope he makes the team. I am not slagging him at all.

Understood..... The only game I remember him playing was against the Saints that year and he had a rough day. But I also think our expectations for him were too high. I'm in that group too so i'm not singling anyone out. The guy needed some time. Sometimes it just clicks for players. I've been impressed with him on all of his returns thus far. Its refreshing to see someone not dancing on punt returns and take what he can get.

Texanmike02
08-20-2012, 09:18 AM
At this point it is hard to see him not making the team. You can't convince me that he is not going to get at least an extra 5-10 yards on most returnable kicks/punts. Even if he gets an extra 5 you are looking at an extra 30-35 yards/game that is more than your 5th receiver will net you. If he manages to break 2 for TDs this year then that is, again, more than you expect from wr5.

Granted it is only 2 preseason games but it is still 2 tds in 2 games. That is 2 TDs without doing the JJ lose ball flail.

Mike

DX-TEX
08-20-2012, 11:25 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1161109/texanspr.gif

Dat speed!!! Use him at RB like the Saints use Sproles and give defenses headaches.

Texans_Chick
08-21-2012, 01:08 PM
My thoughts on Holliday:

Trindon Holliday, the Texans roster and specialists: A discussion (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2012/08/trindon-holliday-texans-roster-specialists/)

Contains info not found many other places.

SCOTTexans
08-21-2012, 01:33 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1161109/texanspr.gif

Dat speed!!! Use him at RB like the Saints use Sproles and give defenses headaches.

I love that he ran down the 49ers sideline... Gave them all a great view. :whip:

b0ng
08-21-2012, 01:44 PM
I love that he ran down the 49ers sideline... Gave them all a great view. :whip:

Unless they blinked.

Texn4life
08-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Mark my words, the Titans front office is praying we cut Holliday right now after their kr/pr just got hurt. Do we really want to see him twice a year with our ability or lack thereof to kick the ball through the end zone?

Dishman
08-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Mark my words, the Titans front office is praying we cut Holliday right now after their kr/pr just got hurt. Do we really want to see him twice a year with our ability or lack thereof to kick the ball through the end zone?

Jacoby had quite one lives, Holliday probably does, too.

Dishman
08-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Jacoby had nine lives, Holliday probably does, too.

Fixed. :spin:

Texn4life
08-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Fixed. :spin:

I loved the way he bounced back though. Almost took one to the house, and they basically kicked away from him whenever they got the chance after.

Dishman
08-25-2012, 11:32 PM
I loved the way he bounced back though. Almost took one to the house, and they basically kicked away from him whenever they got the chance after.

I felt a little bad for him that he didn't get any further chances at a return. That could have been good or bad, though.

Texn4life
08-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I felt a little bad for him that he didn't get any further chances at a return. That could have been good or bad, though.

I think the one big return he had was enough. He damned near ran over the kicker trying to bring it back. I thought it showed a lot of heart on his part.

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 12:08 AM
I think the one big return he had was enough. He damned near ran over the kicker trying to bring it back. I thought it showed a lot of heart on his part.

I dont really think that fumble was something he could have avoided , that was just a good play by the defender.

More troubling was the punt he damn near muffed later in the game ....

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 12:15 AM
I dont really think that fumble was something he could have avoided , that was just a good play by the defender.

More troubling was the punt he damn near muffed later in the game ....

I think any fumble can be avoided. I don't but that. He screwed up and I'm glad he got it out of his system. The one he muffed was when they started trying to punt to the sidelines and he tried too hard to get to it instead of just accepting there isn't gonna be a play made there. He also could've caught a fair catch on a punt around the 10 later in the game but there wasn't a negative play there because the ball checked up.

He's going to make his mistakes in the kick return game. I personally believe that, but I feel like the plays he's going to make will outweigh all of those things. Like I said, he will be scooped up the next minute if we cut him and probably by the Titans.

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 12:31 AM
I think any fumble can be avoided. I don't but that. He screwed up and I'm glad he got it out of his system. The one he muffed was when they started trying to punt to the sidelines and he tried too hard to get to it instead of just accepting there isn't gonna be a play made there. He also could've caught a fair catch on a punt around the 10 later in the game but there wasn't a negative play there because the ball checked up.

Take Martin's fumble - the defender put his hat on the ball ... Gotta tip your hat to the guy for making a play.

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Take Martin's fumble - the defender put his hat on the ball ... Gotta tip your hat to the guy for making a play.

There are some guys in the league who never fumble. There is a way to put the ball high and tight when you see a defender coming. There's no excuse for fumbling. Yes its going to happen because its acceptable guys won't be focused and aware of all the dangers around them but there are ways to prevent fumbles. He left the ball open to the defender. Thats why he put his hat on the ball.

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Maybe a QB who gets blindsided when he's about to throw the ball but a ball carrier always has an opportunity to protect the ball.

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 12:43 AM
There are some guys in the league who never fumble. There is a way to put the ball high and tight when you see a defender coming. There's no excuse for fumbling. Yes its going to happen because its acceptable guys won't be focused and aware of all the dangers around them but there are ways to prevent fumbles. He left the ball open to the defender. Thats why he put his hat on the ball.

Martin had the ball high and tight. They showed the replay and the defender put his hat right on the ball , it popped out.

If anything , Martin should have covered it with both hands .... but I give credit to the defender on that play.

Go watch the replay.

JCTexan
08-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Martin had the ball high and tight. They showed the replay and the defender put his hat right on the ball , it popped out.

If anything , Martin should have covered it with both hands .... but I give credit to the defender on that play.

Go watch the replay.

Martin fumbled the ball twice. On the first one he held it like a loaf of bread.

Texn4life
08-26-2012, 12:45 AM

Go watch the replay.

I watched it and thats not carrying the ball high and tight. Watch Tiki Barber in his later years and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Corrosion
08-26-2012, 01:44 AM
Martin fumbled the ball twice. On the first one he held it like a loaf of bread.

I was talking specifically about the one where the defender popped him on the reverse .... I just went backand watched the replay again ... Martin had the ball away from his body as he tried to make a move then pulled it up high and tight when trying to cut back , the defenders helmet hit right on Martin's hand with the impact popping the ball up and out.

The fact that the ball went up - vertical - tells me the hit produced significant compression. It didnt just squirt out , it was knocked out. Credit defender.

The fumble by Trycycle .... I put on him for not covering the ball up with both hands in all that traffic tho he was stiff arming a guy when the defender hit him from the opposite side .... right on the ball.

beerlover
08-26-2012, 01:55 AM
Saints are taught how to strip the ball, it's their culture. The coaching staff would be wise to learn their tactics & how to protect the ball conversely. I'm not down on Holliday or Martin, long as they learn the game from their mistakes.

Norg
08-26-2012, 02:02 AM
well its the 4th qtr one more game IMO to prove he should make this team

Brisco_County
08-26-2012, 03:02 AM
Saints are taught how to strip the ball, it's their culture. The coaching staff would be wise to learn their tactics & how to protect the ball conversely. I'm not down on Holliday or Martin, long as they learn the game from their mistakes.

Perfectly stated.

IDEXAN
08-26-2012, 10:05 AM
No matter how much of a threat a kick/punt return guy is to break a long one, first and foremost is "ball security". That's basically why they cut Jacoby, and unlike Holliday he wasn't a 1-trick pony since he could also play WR.
We'll see what happens here, but I think Holliday is definitely back on the bubble after last night.

rush2112mn
08-26-2012, 10:18 AM
He had a fumble...it was in preseason....I would rather have that happen now....and he get chewed out about it and LEARN ...from it.....than in the regular season.
He did come back and get a 60 yard return afterward....I think he learned his lesson.....
I hope so.....becuase he is special and the Texans better keep him.....

He forced New Orleans to punt away from him and give the Texans good field position.....that is going to help all year long....punters do not like to try and kick it out bounds......

IDEXAN
08-26-2012, 10:20 AM
He had a fumble
He had 2 fumbles.

IBleedTexans
08-26-2012, 10:26 AM
He had 2 fumbles.

He had one lost and one recovered

IBleedTexans
08-26-2012, 10:27 AM
No matter how much of a threat a kick/punt return guy is to break a long one, first and foremost is "ball security". That's basically why they cut Jacoby, and unlike Holliday he wasn't a 1-trick pony since he could also play WR.
We'll see what happens here, but I think Holliday is definitely back on the bubble after last night.

That's all jacoby was good for so I'd call him a one trick pony with small hands

kingh99
08-26-2012, 11:01 AM
That's all jacoby was good for so I'd call him a one trick pony with small hands

Small hands, big....heart? Holliday is a legit weapon. He won't make his living in tight spaces however. He needs room to run.

speedfreek
08-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Early on in camp I wanted to see Holliday make the team, but now not so much. The more I think of it, the more injuries I see on defense, the more I realize how easy it is to neutralize a return the less I see this being a smart move.

Honestly, if opponents (with decent kickers) think this guy is a legit weapon, they'll just kick it out of the back of the endzone. On punts, they'll just boot it out of bounds.

Returners are the one weapon that, with the new rules, can simply be rendered pointless. Holliday just doesn't bring enough other capabilities to the table. And last nights fumble was so reminiscent of Jacoby that I want no part of it..

TJ

texanhead08
08-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Early on in camp I wanted to see Holliday make the team, but now not so much. The more I think of it, the more injuries I see on defense, the more I realize how easy it is to neutralize a return the less I see this being a smart move.

Honestly, if opponents (with decent kickers) think this guy is a legit weapon, they'll just kick it out of the back of the endzone. On punts, they'll just boot it out of bounds.

Returners are the one weapon that, with the new rules, can simply be rendered pointless. Holliday just doesn't bring enough other capabilities to the table. And last nights fumble was so reminiscent of Jacoby that I want no part of it..

TJ

If teams are doing that then he is a legit weapon. There aren't a lot of good directional punters anymore.

infantrycak
08-26-2012, 12:25 PM
If teams are doing that then he is a legit weapon. There aren't a lot of good directional punters anymore.

It isn't just that. It seems like most of the time the refs spot the ball well forward of where it went out of bounds.

Malloy
08-26-2012, 12:31 PM
I did not notice this, but I've heard that he's contributing in ST coverage... or am I making things up?

If that's the case, then he sees the field even more.

bhsman
08-26-2012, 12:35 PM
I did not notice this, but I've heard that he's contributing in ST coverage... or am I making things up?

He was used in a bit of a gunner role against SF a few times.

texanhead08
08-26-2012, 12:48 PM

I think he was the gunner on punt coverage last night. I don't remember if he was on kickoff coverage too.

Malloy
08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Roger. Well if he sees gunner duty too, that's a few more snaps on the field a game.

Corrosion
08-27-2012, 02:00 AM

Link - Warning its the Crapical (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/promising-young-texans-hear-stern-words-from-kubiak-after-fumbles/)

“I just got to learn from it, get better and protect the ball better,” Martin said. “The first one I can’t have the ball swinging out, so I put that one on myself. The second one I feel like it was just a good hit. He put his helmet right on the ball and it popped out.”

:kitten:

Texn4life
08-27-2012, 02:25 AM
Guys get hard hits on the ball all the time in the league. I understand it was a good hit, but I guarantee you Kubiak doesn't accept that as an excuse for him fumbling. And I just found the quote right after I typed that.

Kubiak on Martin: Theres no excuse for those fumbles. We dont accept that. Hes going to play a lot. We like him and were going to trust him. So he cant turn it over.

Texn4life
08-30-2012, 06:21 PM
But lead CBS TV analyst Phil Simms thinks the short speedster should be a lock. Simms came away from calling the Texans preseason game with the New Orleans Saints more than impressed with the 5-foot-5 Holliday, even on a night when Holliday fumbled one return away, gift wrapping a Saints touchdown, and botched another.

Simms as obsessive a watcher of tape as any NFL analyst, including the overhyped Jon Gruden has seen more than enough from Holliday this preseason to realize that the former LSU player is the type of difference maker few teams in the league have.

"If the Texans don't think he is (worthy of a roster spot), he will be picked up as soon as he hits that waiver wire," Simms said during an appearance on 610 AM.

Sims seems to share my thoughts that he'd be picked up as soon as he was let go, and I think the Titans would be the most eager of the teams to bring him in. Holliday has already proven that he can make big plays in the return game. The only way he does not make the team now is if he completely makes a fool out of himself fielding punts and kicks today. Ball security should be his focus tonight. (Well tonight and every game after as well!)

Phil Simms thinks Kubiak would be insane to cut Trindon Holliday: Expects returner to win games (http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/08-28-12-phil-simms-thinks-houston-texans-would-be-crazy-to-cut-trindon-holliday-expects-returner-to-win-two-games/)

Thorn
08-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Hilliday will be returning kickoffs and punts in the NFL this season. Whether it be for the Texans or not.

Texn4life
08-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Hilliday will be returning kickoffs and punts in the NFL this season. Whether it be for the Texans or not.

He has definitely earned some money this preseason.

badboy
08-30-2012, 06:35 PM
He has definitely earned some money this preseason.Plus he is playing for a new contract.

Rey
08-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Holiday is playing for his life.

One more year and I believe he qualifies for NFL pension plan and health insurance. That's pretty big.

Corrosion
08-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Unless he does something stupid tonight .... He'll make this roster.

panamamyers
08-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Say what you will....I had him pegged as a Pro Bowl returner the first return he made. You can fix the ball handling and the nervousness. You can't fix world class speed. Again, we are just extremely lucky that such a phenomenal talent kept falling right back into our laps.

Playoffs
08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
1000%.

pissknocker
08-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Say what you will....I had him pegged as a Pro Bowl returner the first return he made. You can fix the ball handling and the nervousness. You can't fix world class speed. Again, we are just extremely lucky that such a phenomenal talent kept falling right back into our laps.

Wait I know we PUPed him after his hand issue. Was he ever cut? Was there ever a possibility another team could have claimed him? Just curious.

Rey
08-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Wait I know we PUPed him after his hand issue. Was he ever cut? Was there ever a possibility another team could have claimed him? Just curious.

Yeah. We cut him a few times last year.

silvrhand
08-30-2012, 11:04 PM
4 games in preseason and 3 returns for TD, and a 60 yard return, he won't be on the waiver wire for long if we let him go.

b0ng
08-30-2012, 11:10 PM
I feel safe in saying that Holliday made the final 53 although losing that KO in the endzone just makes him that much more maddening.

Lurvinator11
08-30-2012, 11:11 PM
No way Holliday gets cut! No chance!!!! He is here for the season!

Vinny
08-30-2012, 11:58 PM
I feel safe in saying that Holliday made the final 53 although losing that KO in the endzone just makes him that much more maddening.that may be the touch that freaks them out...I'm not as sold that Holliday makes the roster as you.

Corrosion
08-31-2012, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by BigBull17
Damn, Gary needs new friends.

Just noticed your sig .... wonder how you and BigBull17 feel about Vance Joseph now ??

b0ng
08-31-2012, 12:02 AM
that may be the touch that freaks them out...I'm not as sold that Holliday makes the roster as you.

It seems to happen more frequently in the endzone on KO's, but he's pretty lucky that he's only lost one this preseason. That being said, Holliday is the ultimate "I can fix this guy" type player. He's certainly special enough as a returner that if you can fix his bobbling on the catch, which I think he's done more of that than fumbling while running, he'd be absolutely gold. I think they have to at least start him on the squad and let him play his way off the roster in the regular season. As soon as he fumbles put in Forsett or McMannis or whomever can catch it and not lose it.

speedfreek
08-31-2012, 12:03 AM
I just keep going back to the fact that he can be completely taken out of the game.

Kick out of the endzone, punt out of bounds. The new rules have just made it that much more difficult.

If the guy turns into Devin Hester in the regular season, opponents just won't risk it..

TJ

b0ng
08-31-2012, 12:09 AM
I just keep going back to the fact that he can be completely taken out of the game.

Kick out of the endzone, punt out of bounds. The new rules have just made it that much more difficult.

If the guy turns into Devin Hester in the regular season, opponents just won't risk it..

TJ

Touchbacks only happened about a 50% clip for the league last year. There are plenty of kickers who can't really get it all that deep consistently. Not every punter is going to coffin corner him either.

Rey
08-31-2012, 12:13 AM

TJ

Opponents kicking away from him is almost as good as actually kicking to him.

Vinny
08-31-2012, 12:15 AM
It seems to happen more frequently in the endzone on KO's, but he's pretty lucky that he's only lost one this preseason. That being said, Holliday is the ultimate "I can fix this guy" type player. He's certainly special enough as a returner that if you can fix his bobbling on the catch, which I think he's done more of that than fumbling while running, he'd be absolutely gold. I think they have to at least start him on the squad and let him play his way off the roster in the regular season. As soon as he fumbles put in Forsett or McMannis or whomever can catch it and not lose it.
With Posey showing up and too many good backs...I'm not convinced

b0ng
08-31-2012, 12:18 AM

If I were to draw any conclusions from the game, I don't think they would've let him be on the field after the fumble, and wouldn't inexplicably take him out after his TD unless they were thinking they wanted to save him.

Texn4life
08-31-2012, 12:24 AM

Trindon isn't going anywhere Vinny. The Texans know that the Titans are waiting in the wings if we were stupid enough to do that. There isn't enough bath salt in the world for Gary and Rick to snort up tonight.

Texn4life
08-31-2012, 12:32 AM
The fact he took him out after his return clinches it. I guarantee you the conversation went something like this, "Ok kid, that's enough. Rest up and get ready for Miami".

VTexan
08-31-2012, 12:35 AM
You can't cut a player who returned 3 td's in such a small sample size. Would be foolish.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-31-2012, 12:38 AM
You can't cut a player who returned 3 td's in such a small sample size. Would be foolish.

Yeah, a sample size is usually free or less expensive than an actual size so why not keep him? Please keep him. I want to see more sample size in action.

Go Holliday!!!

Go Texans!!!

thunderkyss
08-31-2012, 01:01 AM
Trindon isn't going anywhere Vinny. The Texans know that the Titans are waiting in the wings if we were stupid enough to do that. There isn't enough bath salt in the world for Gary and Rick to snort up tonight.

He'd never get to the Titans. The Colts would get first pick & if they can't find a place for him on their roster I guarantee Shanahan would snatch him up.

Texn4life
08-31-2012, 01:07 AM
He'd never get to the Titans. The Colts would get first pick & if they can't find a place for him on their roster I guarantee Shanahan would snatch him up.

The Redskins already have a return guy similar to Trindon that they love in Banks. But yeah I forgot about the final cut waiver wire rules. The point is he's not going to make it very far down the line. Teams drool over a playmaker on special teams. Hell, the Ravens signed our trash for 7+ MIL because they were so desperate for one.

sbalderrama
08-31-2012, 01:43 AM
It's been refreshing to watch Holliday. He takes what the other team gives, hits the seams and goes. Even when he goes sideways he goes actual sideways. Compared to Jacoby starting off every run by going backwards.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2012, 01:50 AM

Shanahan already has a Trindon Holliday: 5'7" Brandon Banks.

Vinny
08-31-2012, 02:21 AM
If I were to draw any conclusions from the game, I don't think they would've let him be on the field after the fumble, and wouldn't inexplicably take him out after his TD unless they were thinking they wanted to save him.fwiw, I think they wanted to see Forsett because they want to know he is the man if they go with a no Trindon roster version. Personally I'm with you guys thinking its likely he stays, but I understand their logic if they cut him. They are going to have to cut a good young player that will be picked up by someone since TH is forcing their hand so to speak.

Trindon isn't going anywhere Vinny. The Texans know that the Titans are waiting in the wings if we were stupid enough to do that. There isn't enough bath salt in the world for Gary and Rick to snort up tonight.I think he would play somewhere this season if not here. I picked a fine night to give up bath salts.

Texn4life
08-31-2012, 02:32 AM
I think he would play somewhere this season if not here. I picked a fine night to give up bath salts.

I had to give it up. I got tired of eating faces. Seriously though, I understand everyone's hesitations about Holliday and it does create a problem special teams wise when you talk about covering kicks and punts. But I like what I saw from Forsett tonight in the coverage game. I think they're already preparing to use him pretty heavily in that department. Braman also changes things somewhat since he wasn't out there tonight.

Trindon will play in the NFL this year, but I don't know how you let a weapon like that walk away even if he is one dimensional. Keep in mind Hester didn't have a position for his first few years in the league. Now Holliday has a long ways to go to show that he's even close to being on that level, but I think he has that kind of ability. I think Jacoby left quite a few big returns on the field the past few years with all of his dancing, and you can see Joe Marciano's face light up when he's interacting with him on the sideline. He sees the possibilities. The only negative is the defense may start begging him to quit returning kicks. They'll be so tired from staying on the field so long.

Thorn
08-31-2012, 05:03 AM
I think Holliday makes the final 53. We'll find out soon enough though.

Trail.Blazr
08-31-2012, 07:02 AM

Potential Nickname??

SAMURAITEXAN
08-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Potential Nickname??

Yep. Or, Tricycle.

blitz90
08-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Last night on Sports 610 after the game, he was being interviewed and he said that Kubiak already told him congratulations he made the team.

Corrosion
08-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Yep. Or, Tricycle.

Ive been calling him Tricycle for three years already .... :corrosion:

disaacks3
08-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Last night on Sports 610 after the game, he was being interviewed and he said that Kubiak already told him congratulations he made the team.

Yeah, when they pull you AFTER a TD return, they're telling you that there's nothing left to prove to make the 53.

BIG TORO
08-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Potential Nickname??

Rudy, Hobbit, or Smigel.

Corrosion
08-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah, when they pull you AFTER a TD return, they're telling you that there's nothing left to prove to make the 53.

Kubiak said before the game that he would play Tricycle in the first half and Forsett in the second ... he only had one opportunity to return a punt in the first half which probably had something to do with him going back out in the 3rd quarter.

GlassHalfFull
08-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Potential Nickname??

I like Waterbug for his nickname. Tricycle is good too

SAMURAITEXAN
08-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Ive been calling him Tricycle for three years already .... :corrosion:

I noticed someone was calling Holliday Tricycle. Thought to let supermario90 know that there's potential nickname for Holliday already. But, sample size also cracks me up. Anyway, Holliday sure burns his rubber on tricycle that's for sure.

TexansBlood
08-31-2012, 01:25 PM
How about Holiday Express?

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2012, 01:26 PM
How about Holiday Express?

Except with 2 Ls but, yeah, that works.

I've just been using Tricycle but Holliday Express is pretty good.

Rey
08-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Holliday endzone.

ChampionTexan
08-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Haulassiday

NitroGSXR
08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
And when he takes it to the house... we can say... HE'S GOING ON HOLLIDAY!!!! or something like that.

Dutchrudder
08-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Hmmm, nicknames...

Mighty Mouse
Bluestreak (transformers names seem to be popular in the NFL)
Speedy Gone-the-distance
Flash
Bizarro Jacoby Jones

Hagar
08-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Bon CaCa - Cajun for good $hit

Houston_Fanatic
08-31-2012, 02:20 PM
I always call him Mighty Mouse when I see him trot out there for a K/P return.

rolyat93
08-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Haulassiday

I 2nd this.

darnbni99a
08-31-2012, 02:47 PM
he'll def make the squad.

gtexan02
08-31-2012, 03:14 PM
The Houston Texans' 53-man roster is not yet finalized, but Texans coach Gary Kubiak said this today about returner Trindon Holliday: "Trindon is a lot better football player than he was the last 2 years...His spot on this team was well-earned." How do you LIKE that news?

From Texans FB Page

NastyNate
08-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Compass carrying Jacoby.

Corrosion
08-31-2012, 04:24 PM
I noticed someone was calling Holliday Tricycle. Thought to let supermario90 know that there's potential nickname for Holliday already. But, sample size also cracks me up. Anyway, Holliday sure burns his rubber on tricycle that's for sure.

There was a training camp video of him riding a tricycle from his rookie year if I remember correctly.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2012, 04:29 PM
There was a training camp video of him riding a tricycle from his rookie year if I remember correctly.

He was injured and he had to ride the bikes along with the other injured players. Somebody (Jacoby Jones, I think), brought out a Big Wheel with Holliday's name on it and sat it beside the exercise bikes.

Hence: Tricycle.

Big Wheel would be a good nickname, too.

Texn4life
08-31-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm happy for Trindon. It says a lot about a guy when they overcome obstacles and he's definitely had to do that. Now he has to realize that the journey is only beginning. He needs to stay hungry and strive for great things. I see no reason why he can't become a Pro Bowl returner on this team. I have a feeling Kubiak and Marciano will keep finding ways to motivate him.

SheTexan
08-31-2012, 05:49 PM
He was injured and he had to ride the bikes along with the other injured players. Somebody (Jacoby Jones, I think), brought out a Big Wheel with Holliday's name on it and sat it beside the exercise bikes.

I call him RABBIT! He just finds a hole and goes for it! BUT, I do like "tricycle!" But only a few of us know the meaning behind that tag.

JCTexan
08-31-2012, 05:59 PM
I call him RABBIT! He just finds a hole and goes for it! BUT, I do like "tricycle!" But only a few of us know the meaning behind that tag.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r114/knight7225/x610.jpg

ArlingtonTexan
08-31-2012, 06:12 PM

I think tricycle is the best. You always can do something cute with someone's name, but tricycle actually has a story behind it.

TejasTom
08-31-2012, 07:55 PM
I went to buy a Holliday jersey but they only come in extra small.

TimeKiller
08-31-2012, 08:01 PM
So Holliday made it and Maehl got cut. Oh memories...

speedfreek
08-31-2012, 08:09 PM
I agree. I just get the feeling we have a shorter, faster, Jacoby now.

(I would be giving up his spot to the best available street free agent o-lineman)

TJ

Compass carrying Jacoby.

drs23
08-31-2012, 09:10 PM

Ya beat me to it JC. I knew damn well it wasn't a Big Wheel. Jacoby did that.

Tricycle it shall be.

Case closed!

TheEastwood
08-31-2012, 09:22 PM
I call him RABBIT! He just finds a hole and goes for it! .

So is my new nickname Rabbit? I do the same thing lol

SAMURAITEXAN
08-31-2012, 09:49 PM

Yeah, I remember that well. And, he was able to ride on it. Ha ha that was funny.

Dutchrudder
08-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Nobody likes Bizarro Jacoby Jones? :(

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
It seems like only yesterday that TRIndon insisted that pink was not his color but AJ told him he would have to take it out for a lap anyway!

http://api.ning.com/files/DBPKnKLjzuTBsuhiTKfu-g0hxsLzAPLQNxWO2vCKQI3RE**6PCnLyUrGFZnd6QN-ltgn8BEIDViENzSmnI3uvrYf*rdscdUk/houstonhazing.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/QjzNwEJ4CdfoOqmKnijLUfHlfEENPSDBfWMYtazoznT8Vsw*Fz nIOTFAjca3b8hn3jPW*39rA3SlJo75RrUX6qUy9N4RHHc8/houstonhazing2.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/9yhDuMbLjbN2tB9h0MqzM-Odw1A4t8qXBwqhQFbhq5zeaTN5yNU*Hfn9fOHV8Bt7OuMWG0o0 d7bZ3HzfmcNUyznT*-z-*Jiq/houstonhazing1.jpg

Rey
08-31-2012, 11:01 PM
I wonder if trindon is actually going to be a gunner sometimes.

He did it in pre season and kubiak mentioned him doing it in his press conference....

TejasTom
08-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Compass carrying Jacoby.

Trindon's compass doesn't East and West on it.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Trindon's compass doesn't East and West on it.

You're wrong..............Trindon just knows how to read it!:worldpeace:

Lurvinator11
09-01-2012, 12:04 AM

I still remember reading the sports page in the chronicle with that picture on the front page. Apparently that was a day full of shenanigans. Trindon was on the trike, Schaub hit walter....with a pie, and the attitude of that practice was very laid back. I think it was at that moment when I began to worry about the 2010 season. Oh man how right I was.....

SAMURAITEXAN
09-01-2012, 03:42 AM

Yeah you are right, I remember seen that either picture or video. Anyway, that was really funny and every time I see Holliday on Tricycle it just cracks me up.

Go Tricycle!!! Burn that rubber!!!

Corrosion
09-01-2012, 07:07 AM
You're wrong..............Trindon just knows how to read it!:worldpeace:

There jsut isnt any going backwards to his returns , he might go sideways for a short bit but then its full bore headed in the right direction. His acceleration is amazing andfor a little guy , he's fearless.

Thorn
09-01-2012, 08:58 AM
There jsut isnt any going backwards to his returns , he might go sideways for a short bit but then its full bore headed in the right direction. His acceleration is amazing andfor a little guy , he's fearless.

Because the O line this year just isn't as good as last year, we are going to really need the occasional TDs he will get us. I'm certain that Kubiak knows that, and it's a reason he kept Holliday despite the fact that Holliday is essentially a one trick pony that Kubiak normally doesn't keep.

TejasTom
09-01-2012, 10:21 AM
... Holliday is essentially a one trick pony...

Yea, but it's a really good trick.

Thorn
09-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Yea, but it's a really good trick.

you'll get no argument from me on that.

Both the NFL records for kick off returns for TDs and punt returns for TDs in a single season is 4. I like to see him break one or both of them.

Malloy
09-01-2012, 11:30 AM
you'll get no argument from me on that.

Both the NFL records for kick off returns for TDs and punt returns for TDs in a single season is 4. I like to see him break one or both of them.

3 in 4 games in pre-season, it he can dish just half of that up in the regular season the record is broken.

I like the TD's he's produced, but the extra yardags on returns and the subsequent better field position is going to make a HUGE difference this season, if he can keep it up that is :)

One thing I know, I'll be excited, not mortified, with returns this year! :)

Thorn
09-01-2012, 11:38 AM
3 in 4 games in pre-season, it he can dish just half of that up in the regular season the record is broken.

I like the TD's he's produced, but the extra yardags on returns and the subsequent better field position is going to make a HUGE difference this season, if he can keep it up that is :)

One thing I know, I'll be excited, not mortified, with returns this year! :)

yeah, no kidding. That damn jacoby jones had me doubling up on my blood pressure medicine on Sundays.

b0ng
09-01-2012, 11:53 AM
You two above me realize that Holliday had almost as many fumbles on returns as he did TD's right?

I'm expecting to watch some of his returns with my hands covering my face.

Thorn
09-01-2012, 12:14 PM
You two above me realize that Holliday had almost as many fumbles on returns as he did TD's right?

I'm expecting to watch some of his returns with my hands covering my face.

Please, if you don't mind, I'd rather live in blissfull ignorance than be aware of these facts. :truck: