PDA

View Full Version : 1st preseason evaluation

badboy
08-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Give me your thoughts. It is hard to take it all in as many new numbers out there.

RBs all looked good except Foster's fumble. Channel 13s Spenser Tillman said he had a couple in practice. Tate awesome! Forsett looked darn good and seemed to be getting about 5 yards every carry.

Offensive blocking seemed pretty poor to me. Schaub knocking rust off.

Martin awesome as was Holliday. My concern with Trindon is I remember Kubes getting on Jacoby and he'd do good for one game then revert. We'll see. Other WRs did not stand out to me.

Graham at TE looked good but he did drop one ball when he saw LB coming.

Our kick offs sucked but coverage made up for it, mostly. Poor blocking on our returns as always but don't remember blocking in back penalties on us and that is an improvement.

LBs looked sharp but several plays our D had someone out of place it seemed.

Alan Ball looked like he interfered every play. He has got to do better or should get cut immediately to allow more snaps to others. Wade looks bad on this choice.

I was impressed by Keo who baled out McMannis on one play.

Finally, Brandon Harris and yes, I'll say it Kareem Jackson looked pretty good. I have Jackson and Joseph starting with Harris getting more plays behind all of them. Did anyone see Carmichael? I just remembered him.

Austrian
08-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Give me your thoughts. It is hard to take it all in as many new numbers out there.

RBs all looked good except Foster's fumble. Channel 13s Spenser Tillman said he had a couple in practice. Tate awesome! Forsett looked darn good and seemed to be getting about 5 yards every carry.

Offensive blocking seemed pretty poor to me. Schaub knocking rust off.

Martin awesome as was Holliday. My concern with Trindon is I remember Kubes getting on Jacoby and he'd do good for one game then revert. We'll see. Other WRs did not stand out to me.

Our kick offs sucked but coverage made up for it, mostly. Poor blocking on our returns as always but don't remember blocking in back penalties on us and that is an improvement.

LBs looked sharp but several plays our D had someone out of place it seemed.

Alan Ball looked like he interfered every play. He has got to do better or should get cut immediately to allow more snaps to others. Wade looks bad on this choice.

I was impressed by Keo who baled out McMannis on one play.

Finally, Brandon Harris and yes, I'll say it Kareem Jackson looked pretty good. I have Jackson and Joseph starting with Harris getting more plays behind all of them. Did anyone see Carmichael? I just remembered him.

One special teams tackle. That's it. Didn't see him make any tackle other than that.

eriadoc
08-11-2012, 10:21 PM

I think you're mistaking him for Maehl. I don't remember Graham dropping anything. He got a helmet in the gut catching it between three defenders, but did not drop one. Maehl short-armed one when he saw a LB coming.

Yates looks like he's maturing as a QB. It's still way early, obviously, so we'll see, but I have hope for the guy. Lestar Jean made a couple nice plays. Tonight is the first I've seen of Grimes and I liked what I saw. But then I liked all the RBs, so that's a tough competition.

The pass rush is going to be fierce. I am looking forward to that maybe more than any other piece of the game. I told my wife tonight I think I enjoy watching the Texans sack the QB more than any given TD.

eriadoc
08-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Also, I don't take anything out of the score, but I sure as hell did not enjoy seeing the team land on 16 points again. It's been far too common a theme the past few years that they go 1 of 4 and land on 16 points.

rush2112mn
08-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Ball was having problems with holding.
Officials need to reevaluate the taking a timeout for review every turnover....that is taking way too long.
Holiday may be small....but he has speed....speed kills and Special Teams Coach Marciano was raving about him 2 years ago.....coach was right....
Goal line offense needs to be be worked on....have got to get 7 instead of 3. Red Zone offense.....got to have that working better.....:logo:
Bullock has a leg.....52 yard field goal was strong.
Jean looked good so did Martin.
Foster needs to do have to walk around with a football all week everywhere he goes......and have teammate try and pull it from him.....
Tate, Forsett, Megget and Grimes.....all looked good.....real deep at rb.......

Deepest team in terms of talent......

:texan:

JCTexan
08-11-2012, 10:33 PM
A few observations from tonight's game:

1. Jean & Martin looked good. Nice catches from both of them.

2. Posey really didn't. Did he record one catch tonight? Possible rust from not playing last year, but Jean/Martin are definitely ahead of him.

3. Grimes looked legit. I wouldn't risk him on the practice-squad.

4. Alan Ball played terrible. I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut tomorrow.

5. All four QB's looked good. I expected Schaub/Yates to, but Keenum/Beck did alright too.

6. Whitney Mercilus played good. He recorded a sack and he was in on a few other pressures also. Really impressed me.

JCTexan
08-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Tonight is the first I've seen of Grimes and I liked what I saw. But then I liked all the RBs, so that's a tough competition.

He's a rookie...

badboy
08-11-2012, 10:34 PM
I think you're mistaking him for Maehl. I don't remember Graham dropping anything. He got a helmet in the gut catching it between three defenders, but did not drop one. Maehl short-armed one when he saw a LB coming.ok thanks. that does ring a bell.

Yates looks like he's maturing as a QB. It's still way early, obviously, so we'll see, but I have hope for the guy. Lestar Jean made a couple nice plays. Tonight is the first I've seen of Grimes and I liked what I saw. But then I liked all the RBs, so that's a tough competition. Agreed but Jean did not look as good as I hoped. Maehl either

The pass rush is going to be fierce. I am looking forward to that maybe more than any other piece of the game. I told my wife tonight I think I enjoy watching the Texans sack the QB more than any given TD. bolded.

badboy
08-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Ball was having problems with holding.
Officials need to reevaluate the taking a timeout for review every turnover....that is taking way too long.
Holiday may be small....but he has speed....speed kills and Special Teams Coach Marciano was raving about him 2 years ago.....coach was right....
Goal line offense needs to be be worked on....have got to get 7 instead of 3. Red Zone offense.....got to have that working better.....:logo:
Bullock has a leg.....52 yard field goal was strong.
Jean looked good so did Martin.
Foster needs to do have to walk around with a football all week everywhere he goes......and have teammate try and pull it from him.....
Tate, Forsett, Megget and Grimes.....all looked good.....real deep at rb.......

Deepest team in terms of talent......

:texan:Kubes needs to put Tate at #1 next game and watch Arian go to probowl. The two are healthy competitors and crank each other up. I'm not worried about Foster..yet. Yep Red Zone O sucked again.

BigB0iFresh
08-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Missed the game because of work. Anybody know where i can catch as replay?

Carr Bombed
08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Grimes >>> Forsett

He's stronger, more physical, plays with better leverage, and runs behind his pads. I'd keep him over Forsett. I thought meggett played better as well

Playoffs
08-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Looks like NFL Network, Tuesday at noon.

Carr Bombed
08-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Double post

Carr Bombed
08-11-2012, 10:52 PM

It airs again tonight at 12:30 am on channel 13.. reairs on NFLn on tue. at noon.

Houston_Fanatic
08-11-2012, 10:53 PM

NFL Network is replaying it on Tue at noon. I set my DVR to record since we got stuck with the crappy local feed tonight.

edit to add: sorry for the echo in here LOL

Texn4life
08-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Great game overall...... no major injuries.

I like what I saw from our tight ends. Casey, Graham and OD all looked good. Anyone criticizing Posey needs to criticize Keenum and Kubiak first. Keenum missed him on a curl and Kubiak focused on the run game in the 2nd half. Butler's technique was terrible on a few plays. I really do think Newton is going to win the starting job.

Defense was solid. Mercilus is gonna be a beast. Kareem looked good. No first downs allowed in the 2nd half shows we have some serious depth.

Allstar
08-11-2012, 10:55 PM
NFL Network is replaying it on Tue at noon. I set my DVR to record since we got stuck with the crappy local feed tonight.

edit to add: sorry for the echo in here LOL

I think they had the local feed on NFLN, but it might have been the Carolina one.

Mr. Texan
08-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Alan Ball

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/555322240.gif?key=520293&Expires=1344741199&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=uGVJBnlcwhI2y2wmVaCuLCx2YmDvE8MDzl-TuUf5xBBJ-sflIFy4OlgiOUO2gAtN1JUBm6f7SbqgBvD-2aZvzZ2G9jtb9Nfj-mCiMqs4BVJX8VhYn-dVKBWWZzhsUhexsqyi3KnYUqyc9Zt~laOZjekno~LYN3cN1ZCZ T2TT8ls_

JCTexan
08-11-2012, 10:57 PM

I like what I saw from our tight ends. Casey, Graham and OD all looked good. Anyone criticizing Posey needs to criticize Keenum and Kubiak first. Keenum missed him on a curl and Kubiak focused on the run game in the 2nd half. Butler's technique was terrible on a few plays. I really do think Newton is going to win the starting job.

Defense was solid. Mercilus is gonna be a beast. Kareem looked good. No first downs allowed in the 2nd half shows we have some serious depth.

Fair enough. I was looking for him to make some catches and he didn't, while Jean/Martin looked good tonight.

JimBaker488
08-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Schaub's final play very disappointing - pressure and he made a poorly advised
pass which resulted in an interception.
And I saw one play where Butler got beat bad by a Panther reserve Lineman -
maybe Newt does start at RT against Miami ?

badboy
08-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Defense was solid. Mercilus is gonna be a beast. Kareem looked good. No first downs allowed in the 2nd half shows we have some serious depth.Keenum would have been better with some blocking, but this is what preseason is about.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2012, 11:20 PM
1. I'm not worried about our WRs anymore. Keshawn is going to be a player. Lestar looked good. I expect Maehl to be cut after that alligator arm stunt he pulled. I need to see more from Posey. Iglesias didn't look bad. And Holliday? Wow.

2. I'm not worried about Tate and Foster. Forsett and Meggett showed flashes but it was Grimes who really stole the show. I expected more from Forsett.

3. I'm not worried about our QBs. But I am worried about our Red Zone offense.

4. I think Mercilus is going to get a few sacks this year but it's going to be hard to get Barwin and Reed off the field.

GP
08-11-2012, 11:23 PM

Yep you saw it correctly. Butler went down to a knee because he lost his footing while getting crossed up by a Panthers 2nd or 3rd string d-lineman.

He doesn't have the "it" factor to play RT. Better as a reserve guy, IMO.

TdotTexas2Step
08-11-2012, 11:23 PM
- Schaub looked decent considering this was his "first game" back. Obviously some rust was evident, but he'll be fine. He's the starting quarterback of this team unless he falls to injury again.

- TJ Yates looked solid, and makes me feel extremely confident in our backup situation. He made good reads, used his feet when needed, and drove us down the field. There's some improved confidence in there. An actual year of learning behind Schaub as the primary backup will be good for him. He's going to be taken more seriously with his questions and opinions - with coaching staff and teammates - than he was last year as a third string QB.

- WR corps was just okay for me, our offense went through our RBs and TEs as usual. This offense will need a healthy Andre if we want to make any noise this year. Will have to take a wait and see approach to see who comes out this preseason looking like a serious piece to our offensive future. But if we're using this small sample size exclusively, then I'd say we still don't have our heir to Andre.

- Best RB of the day was Tate for me. Like our QB situation, we're insured if Foster goes down. I'm a huge fan of Arian but he's going to need to cut down on fumbles. All it's going to take one day for us to despise him is for him to fumble in a playoff game or something. It won't matter who the 3rd and 4th RB is, 95% of the carries will go to Foster/Tate, with maybe Forsett picking up Ward's carries from last season

- Even without Cushing or Watt, this defense was flying all over the place. I know Carolina wasn't going into their playbook really, but for the most part, our front 7 did a decent job at containing Cam.

- We sent blitzes from everywhere, confusion allowed Reed to come in untouched, and Dobbins stood out as well, we even showed off a tiny bit of that inside linebacker blitzing Wade was talking about.

- Kareem Jackson and Keo showed improved coverage. Wouldn't be surprised if Jackson takes another step towards realizing his potential and becoming a strong #2 CB.

- Though Mercilus looked good tonight, he didn't look as explosive as I thought he would be. I'm comparing him to Reed as a rookie, but it also could have been jitters. What allowed him to still make an impact however was his motor. He was often in the middle of the action and I loved that.

- Holliday was simply explosive tonight, showing off that track speed. I do cringe everytime he gets hit, but as long as he's able to stay healthy, we should expect some highlights from him this year.

NastyNate
08-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Grimes >>> Forsett

He's stronger, more physical, plays with better leverage, and runs behind his pads. I'd keep him over Forsett. I thought meggett played better as well

You must be bombed, that's a terrible assessment. Try again.

GP
08-11-2012, 11:25 PM
What's scary is this:

AJ wasn't out there.

Ditto for Watt and Cushing.

With those three guys playing, it could have been murderous out there. And that would've been with them only playing a couple of series of football tonight.

This team can be very VERY beast of the injury bug stays in hibernation.

GP
08-11-2012, 11:28 PM
I have no complaints.

This time of year, five years or so ago, we would have been saying stuff like "Well, it's just preseason. We only show 'vanilla' and we'll see better stuff in week 1." Am I right?

Tonight, I was dancing around the house and woo-hoo'ing every 7 to 10 seconds.

Minor quibbles for me:

1. Foster fumble

2. Schaub interception

But those guys will let that gnaw on them all week. They'll shore that aspect of their game up, no doubt.

ObsiWan
08-11-2012, 11:34 PM
- Schaub looked decent considering this was his "first game" back. Obviously some rust was evident, but he'll be fine. He's the starting quarterback of this team unless he falls to injury again.

- TJ Yates looked solid, and makes me feel extremely confident in our backup situation. He made good reads, used his feet when needed, and drove us down the field. There's some improved confidence in there. An actual year of learning behind Schaub as the primary backup will be good for him. He's going to be taken more seriously with his questions and opinions - with coaching staff and teammates - than he was last year as a third string QB.

- WR corps was just okay for me, our offense went through our RBs and TEs as usual. This offense will need a healthy Andre if we want to make any noise this year. Will have to take a wait and see approach to see who comes out this preseason looking like a serious piece to our offensive future. But if we're using this small sample size exclusively, then I'd say we still don't have our heir to Andre.

- Best RB of the day was Tate for me. Like our QB situation, we're insured if Foster goes down. I'm a huge fan of Arian but he's going to need to cut down on fumbles. All it's going to take one day for us to despise him is for him to fumble in a playoff game or something. It won't matter who the 3rd and 4th RB is, 95% of the carries will go to Foster/Tate, with maybe Forsett picking up Ward's carries from last season

- Even without Cushing or Watt, this defense was flying all over the place. I know Carolina wasn't going into their playbook really, but for the most part, our front 7 did a decent job at containing Cam.

- We sent blitzes from everywhere, confusion allowed Reed to come in untouched, and Dobbins stood out as well, we even showed off a tiny bit of that inside linebacker blitzing Wade was talking about.

- Kareem Jackson and Keo showed improved coverage. Wouldn't be surprised if Jackson takes another step towards realizing his potential and becoming a strong #2 CB.

- Though Mercilus looked good tonight, he didn't look as explosive as I thought he would be. I'm comparing him to Reed as a rookie, but it also could have been jitters. What allowed him to still make an impact however was his motor. He was often in the middle of the action and I loved that.

- Holliday was simply explosive tonight, showing off that track speed. I do cringe everytime he gets hit, but as long as he's able to stay healthy, we should expect some highlights from him this year.

I'll add one more thing to this A-1 assessment: Our Joel Dreessen replacement - Garrett Graham - looked pretty good. Three nice catches especially the one where he got a helmet right in the gut but held onto the ball.

wolf123
08-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I have no complaints.

This time of year, five years or so ago, we would have been saying stuff like "Well, it's just preseason. We only show 'vanilla' and we'll see better stuff in week 1." Am I right?

Tonight, I was dancing around the house and woo-hoo'ing every 7 to 10 seconds.

Minor quibbles for me:

1. Foster fumble

2. Schaub interception

But those guys will let that gnaw on them all week. They'll shore that aspect of their game up, no doubt.

This +1000000000:whip:

I remember watching preseason and not scoring at all in the Redzone or not being able to stop anyone running up the middle. If were being honest with ourselves our backups on this team(2012) are better then all of our starters on the 2005 team!!

FEELS GOOD!!:hurrah:

beerlover
08-11-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm concerned about QB position. I've changed my opinion about extending Schaub even though we all know McNair/Kubiak love him, to me he would need to accept a home town discount. Otherwise target one in free agency or draft first/second round.

Love defensive secondary except for Ball. Gotta go too much holding going on.

RB's nasty, depth trade is essential to leverage strength & not expose to PS.

WR still concern maybe in trade using RB?

LB look good even without Cushing. Dobbins played great. Mercilus is the real deal, reminds me of a cat pouncing on prey, quick & instinctual.

Goodell is a prima dona, needs to be taken down a peg or two or three. Replacement officials are bad for business & I hope fans voice their displeasure.

:logo:

TimeKiller
08-11-2012, 11:45 PM
I thought several players took appropriate steps forward over the offseason. Keshawn Martin, obviously. He's dangerous! How about Holliday's return? His speed and being so very short just makes him so elusive. Definitely making it a hard decision as far as the roster goes. Thought Jean would be better but he seemed like a decent backup. Posey just looked like a rookie. Grimes looked like Arian-lite. Smooth through cuts and good vision. And speaking of Arian...ouch. Let's just go ahead and get that one out of the way, save the greatness for the season, right? Yates looks really capable until the red zone gets up on him. Gotta make faster decisions when the spaces get smaller. Tate was strong. Thought the OL was pretty decent...I guess when nothing really stands out they're doing their job right?

For D, that was just nasty. Mercilus was a natural. Reed and Barwin set up shop in the backfield. Looked like everyone in the secondary took a step forward as well. I think Dobbins is beating out Alexander like...pretty easily and Sharpton never was so solid either. Pretty unimpressed with the backup DL.

Even less impressed with scab refs.

BullNation4Life
08-12-2012, 12:06 AM
I have a complaint...

Is it me or does the Nike swoosh on the right shoulder pad look backwards? That drove me nuts all night...

The one on the left shoulder pad looked correct, like we are use to seeing it but the one on the right shoulder just looked backwards to me...

Oh and the turnovers and lack of Red Zone scoring bothered me as well BUT I'm not even concerned....

I WAS very pleased to see Jackson making plays on the ball. Had a break up and a near INT. I think Joseph mentoring him is gonna make all the difference in the world this year for KJ

Allstar
08-12-2012, 12:14 AM
The thing about Schaub and Arian's turnovers is the fact that we all know what we have in the two of them. It doesn't change our opinion of either of them, and really doesn't concern me much. If it had been new players/starters turning it over or struggling, I'd be a lot more upset.

Edit: On second thought, I guess I am a little concerned with Arian's fumbles. He has always held the ball loosely.

Perki-Perk
08-12-2012, 12:14 AM
I have a complaint...

Is it me or does the Nike swoosh on the right shoulder pad look backwards? That drove me nuts all night...

Look at a Nike shoe. The swoosh always goes toward the back. If you are looking at it under a logo on a shirt, then it always "swooshes" to the left like a check mark. On the Jerseys, to help with aerodynamics, they wanted to ensure that the hook in the swooshes wouldn't create wind resistance...

Allstar
08-12-2012, 12:17 AM
I have a complaint...

The one on the left shoulder pad looked correct, like we are use to seeing it but the one on the right shoulder just looked backwards to me...

Oh and the turnovers and lack of Red Zone scoring bothered me as well BUT I'm not even concerned....

I WAS very pleased to see Jackson making plays on the ball. Had a break up and a near INT. I think Joseph mentoring him is gonna make all the difference in the world this year for KJ

Helmets do the same thing with team logos. Just look at my avatar to see the blue horn pointing back on both sides.

powda
08-12-2012, 12:45 AM
My "job assignment" from another post was to evaluate crick and yates. If crick even played tonight I didnt see him. I'll watch the game again to more strongly form any opinions on any line play either side. Evaluating line play is always more difficult for me then plays in space. My initial concern as far as the line goes is that neither caldwell or butler are the dominant road grader winston was. We'll see how that develops.

As for yates,

I was impressed. His footwork and mechanics looked solid. He is easily the most athletic qb on the roster and I think he has the best "adlib ability." Often plays dont turn out the way their drawn up on boots/waggles etc, but I think yates has the athleticism and instincts to overcome. He showed good command of the offense with no notable miscues and improved poise. His accuracy was good though I worry hes to confident in his arm considering the small windows I saw him throw into. Preseason thats not an issue but perhaps against first stringers half way into the season it is. Hes progressing well . At this point I like what i'm seeing and I think theres a good chance he will be Schaub s eventual successor. He reminds me of tony romo for all the right reasons and not the bone headed crap tr sometimes does. The sample size for yates isnt huge but right now im optimistic. That could change a week from now because something I have to see from any qb is consistency.

Our redzone offense has to improve and I place the blame on the coaching staff rather them any one player.

JCTexan
08-12-2012, 12:48 AM
My "job assignment" from another post was to evaluate crick and yates. If crick even played tonight I didnt see him. I'll watch the game again to more strongly form any opinions on any line play either side. Evaluating line play is always more difficult for me then plays in space. My initial concern as far as the line goes is that neither caldwell or butler are the dominant road grader winston was. We'll see how that develops.

As for yates,

I was impressed. His footwork and mechanics looked solid. He is easily the most athletic qb on the roster and I think he has the best "adlib ability." Often plays dont turn out the way their drawn up on boots/waggles etc, but I think yates has the athleticism and instincts to overcome. He showed good command of the offense with no notable miscues and improved poise. His accuracy was good though I worry hes to confident in his arm considering the small windows I saw him throw into. Preseason thats not an issue but perhaps against first stringers half way into the season it is. Hes progressing well . At this point I like what i'm seeing and I think theres a good chance he will be Schaub s eventual successor. He reminds me of tony romo for all the right reasons and not the bone headed crap tr sometimes does. The sample size for yates isnt huge but right now im optimistic. That could change a week from now because something I have to see from any qb is consistency.

Our redzone offense has to improve and I place the blame on the coaching staff rather them any one player.

Crick was inactive for tonight's game.

Rey
08-12-2012, 12:48 AM
I thought Matt was ok. He looked worse than he had in the past, but hopefully he gets better with time. Yates was good. I think if schaub is out for some reason we'd be fine. Not sure what to make if Keenum. Beck did some good things but I don't trust him.

Arian needs to not fumble. Tate ran really well. I thought grimes was better than Forsett and meggett, but I'll admit I'm biased. I like him more than those guys.

I didn't notice the fb, but that can be a good thing. I lime Grahm and I think he's going to be a solid player this year.

O line needs some work. Looked good most running plays, but the straight drop back pass blocking needs work.

I thought the we'd played well. I liked Martin. Didn't notice posey. Jean made some plays.

Defensively Kareem looked good. Really good. Looks like a completely different player out there.

I thought mister Alexander played well. Dobbins played well. Didn't notice Brady james, but honestly I don't expect him to be a playmaker.

I thought Harris showed some skills.

Overall, it was pretty much what I expected.

GP
08-12-2012, 12:52 AM
1. No injuries, that's a given for all of us.

RESULT: No injuries...Woot!

2. Can this Houston team limit Cam Newton enough to at least not get embarrassed on his opening drive? I mean, seriously, we held Mike Vick in check not too long ago and almost won that game... but guys like VY and Garrard, the guys who run the ball once coverage downfield has drifted far from the LOS, they eat us up. Cam did too. Can we learn, can we hold him back???

RESULT: No highlight reel runs or score by Cam. Satisfied with the outcome.

3. Keyshawn Martin. Period.

RESULT: Satisfied. Caught his passes. Looks fluid. Made something nice on the same end-around that Jacoby normally got 3 yards on.

4. LBs. Will Bradie James call the game the way Wade says he can? Will we miss DeMeco not being there? How will Reed and Braman look, because they might have sophomore slumps IMO. Not worried about the other LBs, tbh.

RESULT: Reed looked really good. Braman almost made a pick. Later made a sack out of pure hustle.

5. Kicking competition. Look, just like there was a couple years ago here, between Rackers and Brown...Kubiak will have us kicking FGs a lot (rather than trying risky plays on long 3rd downs when the ball is already in FG position). He has got to see Graham and Bullock kick a few times each game to get a grasp on their handling of game time kicks from different distances.

RESULT: Bullock made a 52-yarder right down the pipe with a good five yards to spare. Graham needs to get a shot at a long one next.

6. O-Line. Not worried about Center or left side. How will the right side hold up, and how well can Brooks and Newton perform when we know they're going to be battling the Panthers' own 2nd or 3rd stringers??? Not going to see Brooks and Newton against a team's 1st string defensive line group, folks...so how will those two guys' performance shake out when we know it's against 2nd or 3rd stringers in the first place? Plus, IF they bomb badly against 2nd or 3rd stringers out there...does that cause our sacks to shrivel up a bit? Maybe it does. That's a crucial situation for us, folks. CRUCIAL.

RESULT: Ummmm....I have to re-watch the game to look at this one.

7. QBs. Will Matt even play at least one series? How will TJ do? How will Beck and Keenum perform?

RESULT: Not concerned. Beck even looked very competent. Beck looked better than Grossman and Leinart put together.

8. RBs. Forsett is getting lots of publicity thus far. Want to see him in a game situation. Grimes too.

RESULT: Grimes better get a fair shake if we only go with 3 RBs. I had been a Grimes-will-be-a-PS-guy but man oh man I thought tonight Grimes had the vision and decision making that made him look better than Forsett.

9. FB and TEs. Norris-Smith-Casey...hmmmmm.....a mystery to me. Graham, can he deliver like Dreessen did? I dunno. Will have to hope he can.

RESULT: Going to have to re-watch, but saw one play near end zone where Norris made his key block and our RB just couldn't get past his own man, meaning Norris did right and didn't miss anything on that play.

10. Kubiak. Can he bear to watch his kickers' kicks or will he turn away and watch the replays later on? LOL. Old habits die hard.

RESULT: Did he watch the FG attempts? Anybody see any footage of him watching? LOL.

My things-to-look-for, from another thread...I quoted it and made my remarks in the quoted post above.

Carr Bombed
08-12-2012, 01:29 AM
You must be bombed, that's a terrible assessment. Try again.

I'm sorry, you must be confused, because you think I actually give a flying crap about what you think about my assessment. Try not being a ass again.

powda
08-12-2012, 01:44 AM
I'm sorry, you must be confused, because you think I actually give a flying crap about what you think about my assessment. Try not being a ass again.

I think you had a fair assessment. Forsett cant be hidden on the practice squad however and grimes can. Probably will factor into any decision.

darnbni99a
08-12-2012, 01:51 AM
i was real impressed with Grimes, Martin, and Mercilus.

Ball sucked.

b0ng
08-12-2012, 01:55 AM

If you really don't care why bother responding?

JCTexan
08-12-2012, 02:04 AM
I think you had a fair assessment. Forsett cant be hidden on the practice squad however and grimes can. Probably will factor into any decision.

That argument is only going to be legit for another game. If Grimes consistently produces the next three preseason games like he did tonight I wouldn't be surprised if Washington or another ZBS team snatches him before he has a chance of being on Houston's PS. The Texans coaches supposedly "love" Grimes so far; if true they won't risk losing him by placing him on their PS.

powda
08-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Ball sucked.

Yup. The first penalty or so i wanted to give him the benifitt of the doubt because of the replacement refs but he was grabby and a step out of position. Reminded me a lot of jaq reeves because he seemed to know the ball was in the air but had no idea where it actually was. Hes a midseason injury fill in if need be but cut him now and give younger players with a higher ceiling the playing/practice time.

powda
08-12-2012, 02:20 AM
That argument is only going to be legit for another game. If Grimes consistently produces the next three preseason games like he did tonight I wouldn't be surprised if Washington or another ZBS team snatches him before he has a chance of being on Houston's PS. The Texans coaches supposedly "love" Grimes so far; if true they won't risk losing him by placing him on their PS.

Possible but it wont be the skins that do it. Think seahawks instead. Keep in mind he was an undrafted free agent every team had a chance at. Grimes MIGHT be picked up; Forsett has no ps eligibility. No way we keep 4 rbs. I need to see more before I form a concrete opinion, but at this point grimes is a rung (or 2) below forsett even if this game displayed otherwise.

b0ng
08-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Anyways, did anybody notice the defenses blitzing a lot more than normal preseason games.?

JCTexan
08-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Possible but it wont be the skins that do it. Think seahawks instead. Keep in mind he was an undrafted free agent every team had a chance at. Grimes MIGHT be picked up; Forsett has no ps eligibility. No way we keep 4 rbs. I need to see more before I form a concrete opinion, but at this point grimes is a rung (or 2) below forsett even if this game displayed otherwise.

In your mind. The coaches reportedly "love" Jonathan Grimes. If they think he's the third best RB on this team, then is it a reach to think they could keep him over Forsett? They could possibly keep Meggett on the PS as insurance if that happened.

powda
08-12-2012, 02:49 AM
In your mind. The coaches reportedly "love" Jonathan Grimes. If they think he's the third best RB on this team, then is it a reach to think they could keep him over Forsett? They could possibly keep Meggett on the PS as insurance if that happened.

Theres been more tc buzz around forsett then grimes and hes listed as the #3 back on the depth chart. Clearly the coaches like him to. I essentially said i liked what i saw from grimes so i have no idea what your arguing about.

Carr Bombed
08-12-2012, 03:05 AM
If you really don't care why bother responding?

???

hmm.. I really don't care. He told me to write another assessment. I responded to him, because I do not care enough about his opinion to do that. I also responded to him, because he was a immatue ass and felt like telling him so, I did care enough to do that. I mean what did he really offer to this thread? Here's a question though... why do you care why I responded, was either of our comments directed at you?

kiwitexansfan
08-12-2012, 05:00 AM
Can't really blame Posey for making catches if he isn't getting targets.

Now if you look at the tape and he is getting no seperation or running wrong routes, then jump on him, but WR is heavily dependent on QB play.

Rey
08-12-2012, 06:07 AM

I think you are wrong to think that the texans are going to base their roster decisions on ps eligibility rather than talent.

If they think grimes can help them more he'll be on the team. Who cares that Forsett doesn't have ps eligibility if he isn't who they deem to be the better player.

Makes no sense that they'd risk potentially losing a guy for nothing that they think is a better player than the one they are keeping.

ObsiWan
08-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Also, I don't take anything out of the score, but I sure as hell did not enjoy seeing the team land on 16 points again. It's been far too common a theme the past few years that they go 1 of 4 and land on 16 points.

After the buzz of seeing actual football again wore off, I've had time to reflect and I have to agree with this.... Missed opportunities. One TD out of FOUR redzone trips is NOT acceptable for a team with SuperBowl dreams dancing in it's collective head. We need to do better. Turnovers from two of our "team leaders" is not acceptable either.

Ball has one week to get his act togethe or we should look for a replacement... a couple of those calls we're suspect so I'll give Vance Joseph a week to work with him.

Malloy
08-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Sad only to see Holliday on returns, hope next week will feature him a bit at WR too.

All in all we're looking ok, but as many others have stated, there are obvious issues. Good thing is, it's preseason so now is the time to identify & fix those issues.

Thorn
08-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Not impressed with Schaub, but he's still rusty I suspect. Yates did a good job, with more time on the field in pre-season I'm not worried if Schaub is injured again. Case and Beck were decent against the other team's wanna bees.

Foster sucks, cut him! LOL. Foster will be fine and dominate this year, not worried about him. Tate is very good. As to the rest, it would appear Grimes stood out in the lot. It makes you wonder if Forset is going to even make the team. But this is only one pre-season game, we got a bit to go.

Lestar Jean and Keshawn Martin looked good enough to make me calm down just a tad about our WR debth problem. But I'm going to keep worring until proven otherwise.

Holliday looked good. He's going to have to really crank it up to make the team as just a return guy though. However, if he can do BOTH punt returns and kickoffs very well, Kubes might keep him around. I'd like to see him get a turn or two at WR though just to check him out.

Defense was impressive against a team they should have been impressive against. Carolina without Cam Newton is barely an NFL team, so they had better have looked good. Secondary is getting better. Well, except for Ball who sucks horribly. That man has worse control of his hands than a horny teen age boy on a date.

Glad to see Bullock make that 52 yarder. I'm pulling for him to make the team.

Over all, I was impressed by Holliday and the offense being able to move the ball between the 20s, but red zone woes just stank. Defense looks good for their first outing. They were killing their QBs. Ball sucks.

False Start
08-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Ball sucked.

Yeah, he sucked balls. http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/rimshot-3.gif

It was the first game so I wasn't expecting much. I was encouraged by the WR group though.

BullNation4Life
08-12-2012, 08:36 AM
i was real impressed with Grimes, Martin, and Mercilus.

Ball sucked.

First play I saw him defend I thought the Texans resigned Reeves from a couple years back. dude never turned his head to look for the ball.

BullNation4Life
08-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Grimes >>> Forsett

Liked what I saw in Grimes as well,though I think Kubiak will stick with the Vet as the third back. Wonder if Kubes would carry 4 backs and list Grimes as a "FB" and put Megget on the PS...

NastyNate
08-12-2012, 08:46 AM

Lighten up Francis.

Ball was worked, ticky tack calls but they were still called. Has to step it up but I'm fearful he makes the roster and we'll get picked on. Mercilus looked good, although when dropping into coverage he looked lost. Has to get a better understanding of coverage if he wants to stay on the field more downs.

Grimes was average, taking advantage of a porous Carolina 3rd string defensive front. Butler got worked a few plays, this concerns me. Yates did a good job keeping plays alive. Schaub I didn't see enough of to evaluate, I think he'll be fine.

Arian... I hope he doesn't make this a trend. Things happen but I expect the best from our best.

Keyshawn Martin impressed. Needs to use his body in the endzone but overall a good day.

Jean looked fairly good too.

Brice McCain was hit or miss. We'll see.

Braman!!! Looked awesome on special teams and pursuing the run.

Keo, take a hike.

That's my assessment.

amazing80
08-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Honestly I feel our red zone will improve when Foster is in there. The difference between Tate and Foster last season in the red zone was significant.

Martin and Jean LOOKED GREAT. I was disappointed that Posey saw no reps with the ones.

Matt looked good he just needs more reps and Yates showed improvement (wish Schaub could take Yates mobility)

The defense (starters) looked great and our depth is a strength. Ball needs to be cut today.

Holliday is a BEAST :smiliedance:

EllisUnit
08-12-2012, 09:10 AM
I thought Matt was ok. He looked worse than he had in the past, but hopefully he gets better with time. Yates was good. I think if schaub is out for some reason we'd be fine. Not sure what to make if Keenum. Beck did some good things but I don't trust him.

Arian needs to not fumble. Tate ran really well. I thought grimes was better than Forsett and meggett, but I'll admit I'm biased. I like him more than those guys.

I didn't notice the fb, but that can be a good thing. I lime Grahm and I think he's going to be a solid player this year.

O line needs some work. Looked good most running plays, but the straight drop back pass blocking needs work.

I thought the we'd played well. I liked Martin. Didn't notice posey. Jean made some plays.

Defensively Kareem looked good. Really good. Looks like a completely different player out there.

I thought mister Alexander played well. Dobbins played well. Didn't notice Brady james, but honestly I don't expect him to be a playmaker.

I thought Harris showed some skills.

Overall, it was pretty much what I expected.

I thought Matt looked really good out there. Was patient, was accurate. I think the INT was more of a not really wanting to get hit and risk getting hurt during pre season kind of throw. But overall i though Schaub looked about as good as i have ever seen him !

BullBlitz
08-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I thought the defense looked as good as it did last year, despite Watt's absence.

The offense looked worse. Schaub looked good before he threw the critical interception at the wrong time. Typical. Foster looked worse. The line looked worse.

There were bright spots among various young players but overall, I sense a 2012 season in which the offense will be less productive, but the defense will keep the games close enough for us to have a chance to win.

The Medic01
08-12-2012, 09:32 AM
I thought the defense looked as good as it did last year, despite Watt's absence.

The offense looked worse. Schaub looked good before he threw the critical interception at the wrong time. Typical. Foster looked worse. The line looked worse.

There were bright spots among various young players but overall, I sense a 2012 season in which the offense will be less productive, but the defense will keep the games close enough for us to have a chance to win.

So wait. Because Schaub threw one pick and the Oline only did okay not great in its first game our offense is not as good. No the offense will be fine. You just never seem to see the good in anything.

Lucky
08-12-2012, 09:39 AM
I won't get negative after the first reason game which the Texans dominated. I'll just comment on some of the positives.

Pass rush - If there are two elements that define this team, they are the ZBS and the pass rush. In a year where the Texans will face many top notch passers, it is crucial that the pass rush shines. It did, and i really like how the rush can come from so many places. Creating turnovers from the pass rush will be the key to taking this team to a championship.

TEs - I was concerned about the depth at the position following the loss of Dreessen. But Graham looks ready to step up and Casey loss more comfortable there. Daniel is Daniels. Still think a blocking Tight End would be beneficial. But you can go into the season with this group as a plus.

Yates - TJ looks so comfortable in the offense now. His play action fakes are similar to Schaub's. He seems to know where to go with the ball. Im excited about his potential.

Coaching - i couldn't help noticing how engaged the coaches were, even late in the 4th quarter with the end of the bench. I think they realize there is something special here.

jtexas
08-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Our RB depth is starting to look like the old Broncos where guys that get the scheme always do well.

Alan Ball is horrible! He was consistently bad on the Cowboys and i love that his play is being exposed during preseason. He cannot sub for Jackson and should never be on the field.

Jackson looked pretty good out there, but i will need to see him defend the deep ball.

BorrowMe
08-12-2012, 09:56 AM
QB: Matt looks like he's back to his old form, just a lil rusty that's all. I have no worries about him. TJ looks like he's in mid-season form. Beck looked alright. But he's a veteran, so looking alright against 3rd stringers isn't quite what you wanna hear. Keenum looks pretty good, he just needed more protection from his line.

RB: Arian had a lil mishap thats all. He's gonna be alright. Everyone has fumbles now and then. Tate looks like Tate. He's no doubt the best second string running back in the league. Forsett looked pretty good. Grimes was great, so come the final cuts, idk if he or Forsett are gonna be sent to the PS. Megget looked not so good for my opinion.

WR: Kevin Walter looks good. He was good in the run blocking game and had a very good route on that pass that he caught. Keshawn, wow, I really like this dude. Has amazing crisp routes and great hands. Maybe the steal of the draft. Jean looked good as well. Had a nice catch down the middle of the field. I didn't really notice Posey that much. Hope to see more of him next week. Iglesias looked great against those scrubs, but then agian, they're scrubs lol. Where was Bryant Johnson??? Was he inactive??

OL: The whole line looked good on run blocking. Where they looked suspect was pass blocking. 1st string o-line had a misshap when they let two guys blow past them on that would be sack but turned interception on Matt Schaub. The second and third string o-line looked horrible on pass protection but good on run protection.

DL: They were just beasting all game. It didn't matter who it was, 1st string, 2nd string, 3rd string. They were just flat out good. I can't really point out someone in particular because they were all good. But if I had to, I would pick DJ Bryant. Dude looked like he was hungry for a spot in 53 man roster. I dont think he will but he'll definetly be PS.

OLB: Man oh man were just down right scary at this position. This position is our strength of the team. The depth is ridiculous. I mean you have a 1st round rookie as your backup! That's crazy! They were just too good for the panthers. Amazing.

ILB: Bradie looked alright. Not really great just alright. He can run and tackle, that's for sure. Mister Alexander looked ok with the 1st string defense. Dobbins was amazing with the second stringers. He was all over the place. I didn't really see that much of that 90 kid.

CB: Joseph was just Joseph. He was locking his receiver like he's suppose to do. Great veteran player and great playmaker as well. Kareem was outstanding in this game. He had a great read on that short pass play which he deflected. McCain was awesome at covering the slot. Ball.....sigh. Let's just say he ain't making the team. Brandon Harris was great. He was knocking balls down and covering pretty good. McMannis was meh. But it's alright, its just the 1st pre-season game.

S: Quinn and Manning were great. They know where to go and where to look. Great safeties. Demps and Keo were great as well and Nolan was great too. All the safeties played great. :)

BullBlitz
08-12-2012, 10:00 AM
So wait. Because Schaub threw one pick and the Oline only did okay not great in its first game our offense is not as good. No the offense will be fine. You just never seem to see the good in anything.

The very first thing I noted was that the defense looked good, even without Watt.

If you are going to be critical of others' posts, please improve your comprehension skills.

foo82
08-12-2012, 10:16 AM
I know it's preseason, but we are still having issues with our red zone. I'm surprised not that many people are concerned.

EllisUnit
08-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I won't get negative after the first reason game which the Texans dominated. I'll just comment on some of the positives.

Pass rush - If there are two elements that define this team, they are the ZBS and the pass rush. In a year where the Texans will face many top notch passers, it is crucial that the pass rush shines. It did, and i really like how the rush can come from so many places. Creating turnovers from the pass rush will be the key to taking this team to a championship.

TEs - I was concerned about the depth at the position following the loss of Dreessen. But Graham looks ready to step up and Casey loss more comfortable there. Daniel is Daniels. Still think a blocking Tight End would be beneficial. But you can go into the season with this group as a plus.

Yates - TJ looks so comfortable in the offense now. His play action fakes are similar to Schaub's. He seems to know where to go with the ball. Im excited about his potential.

Coaching - i couldn't help noticing how engaged the coaches were, even late in the 4th quarter with the end of the bench. I think they realize there is something special here.

And all of this was without all of our advanced blitz packages. Sure we blitzed but they were fairly simple blitzes at that. And this was without Watt and Cushing, man our D is gonna tear some teams up this season.

gary
08-12-2012, 11:02 AM
I'd think about playing Holiday at RB for a play or two.

GP
08-12-2012, 11:06 AM
My thoughts on the red zone woes:

Remember that we had a TD with Yates/Martin but the CB for the Panthers barely nicked the ball (fluke play, actually). That was 6 points right there, but the ball was just an inch too close to the inside and gets deflected.

Red zone issues come and go. One game we struggle with it, the next game we score TDs and blow a team out. One game, a guy like Holliday has a huge TD return and helps out the offense. Every game, someone or some unit out there has to stand out and deliver for us.

We are never out of games, IMO. This offense has a suddenness about it that while it might not always translate into Red Zone production game after game...you can always count on the team to get the job done before the final whistle. Two years ago in Washington is the prime example--We were getting hammered by Donovan McNabb's Redskins and we came back and won the game by forcing OT via a Schaub-AJ hookup on one of the last plays of the 4th quarter. We almost clutched it out in the playoffs vs. Ravens too this past year.

Hell, the Raiders beat us last year on nothing but long-ass field goals by The Janitor. We got nickel and dimed by The Janitor that game, and it still counts as a "W" in the Win-Loss column for the Raiders. However you can get it done is what counts.

Tom Brady came to the sideline this past preseason game vs. the Saints and slammed his helmet down and was entirely put out with his offense. Guys or units have bad outings whether it's preseason or reg season or playoffs.

Mr. Texan
08-12-2012, 11:08 AM
i have no doubt our red zone offense will be better with schuab, foster, and aj actually playing together

Ryan
08-12-2012, 11:14 AM
i have no doubt our red zone offense will be better with schuab, foster, and aj actually playing together

Hopefully for more than 2 1/2 quarters like last season.

utahmark
08-12-2012, 11:16 AM
I know it's preseason, but we are still having issues with our red zone. I'm surprised not that many people are concerned.

Seems we always have a little trouble with red zone and short yardage situations. I blame the zone blocking system. Not that I would change it(we have to much success between the 20's). When you draft guys for the zone blocking scheme then you spend most of your practices working on zone blocking your going to have some trouble when you just need to pound the ball in short yardage or the field shrinks inside the 10.

BigTimeTexanFan
08-12-2012, 11:16 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012081151/2012/PRE1/texans@panthers#menu=highlights&tab=analyze

HOU CAR
Total 1st downs 20 12
3rd down eff. 8/16 (50%) 2/10 (20%)
Rushing yds 174 61
Avg/rush 4.5 4.4
Pass comp-att-int 17/27-1 12/24-1
Pass yds 201 76
Avg/pass play 6.7 2.4
Total yds 375 137
Penalties/yds 8/73 4/24

There are a few things I would like to clean up, but I'm pretty happy with their overall performance .

Corrosion
08-12-2012, 11:19 AM

Its pretty obvious the defense is way ahead of the offense (as if you couldnt tell that by practice) but this defense is downright scarry with the depth along the DL and the OLB's. Hard to say which unit is better ... After watching that , Im a bit less concerned about the list of QB's they will have to face ...

Ball should be a gonner in the first round of cuts .... he looked like Petey Faggins out there , had no clue where the ball was on any play in his direction even tho he had decent coverage on most plays.

Martin and Jean both had good games much to our relief .... Posey only had one ball thrown his way that was well off target (by Keenum). I think that was more a product of the team running the ball so often by the time he got on the field , he gets an incomplete.
If they can give that type of production thruout the season , the offense will be fine.

Tate was in beast mode ...

Not worried about Schaub other than him getting hurt. He looked solid enough .... Yates looked really good too. Seemed to go thru his progressions much better than last year tho that wasnt near the calibur defense he was facing late last season and in the playoffs.

Jackie Chiles
08-12-2012, 12:26 PM

Just to follow up on these points a little bit, you can tell how much emphasis the coaching staff puts on footwork when Yates jukes out a referee. Keenum also had a PA rollout that the DE bit on harder than I have ever seen, the guy was following the RB halfway down the field before he realized the play was in another zip code. Partial disclaimer that both the DE and the ref are noobs but its that kind of attention to detail that gives me a lot of confidence in this coaching staff.

Vinny
08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm a little more worried about Schaub than I figured I'd be. I didn't like his decision to throw that ball under pressure and when did Gary start smoking crack? I'd think about playing Holiday at RB for a play or two.

Thorn
08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Along the same line, and I'm not sure if a seperate thread is needed for this, but what did yall think of our division rivals play? I was not at all impressed with either the Titans or Kittens in their first game. The Dolts are on TV in about 20 minutes. I expect them to suck even worse.

infantrycak
08-12-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm a little more worried about Schaub than I figured I'd be. I didn't like his decision to throw that ball under pressure and when did Gary start smoking crack?

Yeah gary needs to step away from the pipe.

I'm going to go the opposite way on Schaub only because of the specific circumstances. Yes it would have been smarter to pull that ball down but the last thing you want is a QB who is scared to let a play develop or take a hit. Seeing him hang in there for the hit after a significant injury shows his attitude is fine. Now he needs to develop the smarts to Manning flop when the play is hopeless.

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Along the same line, and I'm not sure if a seperate thread is needed for this, but what did yall think of our division rivals play? I was not at all impressed with either the Titans or Kittens in their first game. The Dolts are on TV in about 20 minutes. I expect them to suck even worse.

I was surprised at how bad the Titans looked. CJ looked totally spent. Hasselbeck was making some crazy decisions.

utahmark
08-12-2012, 01:27 PM
I was surprised at how bad the Titans looked. CJ looked totally spent. Hasselbeck was making some crazy decisions.

CJ's got his money.

Vinny
08-12-2012, 01:27 PM
CJ looks done. He got his contract and he will never be the same (perhaps this is wishful thinking...but he doesn't strike me as a high character dude). Titan wr's are awful and their QB play was weak. They looked like an expansion team.

Vinnie
08-12-2012, 01:50 PM
And of course, Luck's very first pass is a TD.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Even less impressed with scab refs.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/iLD_uMf.7fAoxLl9q2ctkA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/yahoo_triplette2.jpg

HE'S SAFE!!!!!!!!:gun:

Vinny
08-12-2012, 02:01 PM
speaking of goofy stuff, I hate, HATE, hate the new rule that every turnover is reviewed. They are stopping the flow of the game and reviewing stuff that nobody would question, ever. I've seen fans all over the league booing every time this happens. Fixing stuff that doesn't need fixing is one trait of Commish Roger

Rey
08-12-2012, 02:02 PM
I thought Matt looked really good out there. Was patient, was accurate. I think the INT was more of a not really wanting to get hit and risk getting hurt during pre season kind of throw. But overall i though Schaub looked about as good as i have ever seen him !

Gonna disagree with that.

To me he looked like a guy with zero mobility and he knew it. To me it looked like he panicked a little at the slightest sign of pressure.

Now I noted that the o line needs some work on the straight drop back pass pro, but I thought it was clear that Matt was not playing at the same level that he had in the past.

But that's to be expected and I think he will get better as we go a long.

But to me he looked even less mobile in the pocket avoiding pressure and on his roll outs. But it's a little confusing because it also seemed like his balls had more velocity on them than last year.

I'm not concerned with his decision making as much as I am with what looked like to me was even less mobility. He looked like the proverbial "statue in the pocket" to me.

O line is going to need to block better, marts gonna have to learn to go fetal and always be aware of who is coming.

JCTexan
08-12-2012, 02:05 PM
speaking of goofy stuff, I hate, HATE, hate the new rule that every turnover is reviewed. They are stopping the flow of the game and reviewing stuff that nobody would question, ever. I've seen fans all over the league booing every time this happens. Fixing stuff that doesn't need fixing is one trait of Commish Roger

I agree. I can understand controversial calls but having a review on every turnover is overkill. If there is no question on the turnover then there is no need to review it.

Rey
08-12-2012, 02:09 PM
My thoughts on the red zone woes:

Remember that we had a TD with Yates/Martin but the CB for the Panthers barely nicked the ball (fluke play, actually). That was 6 points right there, but the ball was just an inch too close to the inside and gets deflected.

Yates also hit Casey on a sweet (albeit risky) throw. That's a pass that Casey can and probably would normally catch.

I'm not worried about red zone offense.

Arian wasn't out there much and he is Mr. Red zone.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Yates also hit Casey on a sweet (albeit risky) throw. That's a pass that Casey can and probably would normally catch.

I'm not worried about red zone offense.

Arian wasn't out there much and he is Mr. Red zone.

You can't always rely on your RB in the RZ.......18 yds vs 9 yds vs 3yds. Somehow, someone is going to have to learn to run and work the fade.........successfully. Last several years, too many forced down the middle (of the EZ) scarey TD attempts.

BullBlitz
08-12-2012, 02:22 PM
CJ's got his money.

So has Arian.

gary
08-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Nice shot carry on.

Rey
08-12-2012, 02:27 PM
You can't always rely on your RB in the RZ.......18 yds vs 9 yds vs 3yds. Somehow, someone is going to have to learn to run and work the fade.........successfully. Last several years, too many forced down the middle (of the EZ) scarey TD attempts.

Honestly that would be preferable, but I don't think schaub has the arm to be a consistently good red zone passer.

But we've had this red zone problem in the past, but it was before Arian was the rb. I think Arian is good running the ball down there but I also believe he opens up those over the middle passes you don't like because those lb's crowd the LOS to stop him which opens up space behind them.

utahmark
08-12-2012, 02:28 PM

He just threw another one. Looks like they upgraded at qb.:kitten:

Thorn
08-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Hey just threw another one. Looks like they upgraded at qb.:kitten:

Well, the Colts are certainly more impressive than the Titans or Jags so far. Completely the opposite of what I expected.

wolf123
08-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Colts may have 2-3 years in a 25 year period where they don't have an elite QB.... :kitten:

Thorn
08-12-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't know how good or bad the Ram defense is, but the Colts offense in the first pre-season game of the year looks likes old days when Manning just took them up and down the field. I'm not liking this at all. Frickin' Luck looks good, considering all the dropped balls by his recievers.

The Medic01
08-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Colts may have 2-3 years in a 25 year period where they don't have an elite QB.... :kitten:

They got rewarded for being so bad at making a team. They have Payton Manning who single handedly gets them to the playoffs for 10 years straight. Then he leaves then they suck then they just somehow manage to the number 1 overall pick in a year with the best QB prospect since get this. The last QB they picked #1. Some franchises just get lucky. (pun intended)With our two number 1 picks we got David Carr and Mario Williams. One who sucked and the other just a slightly above average player.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Honestly that would be preferable, but I don't think schaub has the arm to be a consistently good red zone passer.

But we've had this red zone problem in the past, but it was before Arian was the rb. I think Arian is good running the ball down there but I also believe he opens up those over the middle passes you don't like because those lb's crowd the LOS to stop him which opens up space behind them.

I certainly can see your point. But those middle EZ passes have had their share of consequences.:handshake:

GP
08-12-2012, 03:02 PM
I bet Wade Phillips is scared of Andrew Luck. I can see Wade now, crying and worrying about our matchup problems.

JJ Watt, likewise, is a nervous wreck. His confidence will take a big hit when he lines up opposite Luck.

The whole defense cringes at the idea of trying to stop Andrew Luck.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth...our defense will play hard, and will play especially hard against Andrew Luck. He will not score easily. He will not have a perfect day. The overreaction squad should calm down, IMO.

We have an offense too. We're going to score points too. And all things equal, the Texans defense has the right stuff to rise to the challenge.

Facing a good QB makes you work hard in the reg season because we're going to face great QBs in the post season. It's better than trouncing your divisional foes and then wondering why we crap out in the first or second round of the playoffs.

Challenges make bad teams crumble.

Challenges make good teams better.

GP
08-12-2012, 03:08 PM
They got rewarded for being so bad at making a team. They have Payton Manning who single handedly gets them to the playoffs for 10 years straight. Then he leaves then they suck then they just somehow manage to the number 1 overall pick in a year with the best QB prospect since get this. The last QB they picked #1. Some franchises just get lucky. (pun intended)With our two number 1 picks we got David Carr and Mario Williams. One who sucked and the other just a slightly above average player.

I feel the same way.

That's why I think the worst three teams should be in a lottery to get picks 1 through 3.

Until then, a team like the Colts will intentionally bomb every game but 1 or 2 in order to get the overall top pick.

rmartin65
08-12-2012, 03:46 PM
I feel the same way.

That's why I think the worst three teams should be in a lottery to get picks 1 through 3.

Until then, a team like the Colts will intentionally bomb every game but 1 or 2 in order to get the overall top pick.

Ridiculous. Were the Texans bombing every game when we went 2-14? Teams suck sometimes. It happens. That Colts team was awful, and everyone knew it as soon as Manning left.

Fans just like conspiracy theories though. As a hockey fan, every year I see the same thing around the draft. And there is a lottery! It does not help that much, except occasionally screw a bad team

For example, this past year the Blue Jackets sucked hard. They always suck, but they were the worst team in the league this year. Thanks to the lottery, they did not get the 1st overall pick but the second. And the team who won the lottery picked 1st overall for the 3rd season in a row.

Texn4life
08-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Re-watching the game. I need to add that Dobbins played a hell of a game. I have no worries if he needs to step in and play major snaps.

paycheck71
08-12-2012, 04:40 PM

I'm thinking this is a preseason thing. Once they get the hang of it, there will likely be a call/buzz from upstairs if there is anything questionable to look at after a TO. I remember people complaining about the same thing last preseason on the scoring plays (all of them were reviewed), but once regular season started, they mostly only reviewed the ones I wanted reviewed.

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm thinking this is a preseason thing. Once they get the hang of it, there will likely be a call/buzz from upstairs if there is anything questionable to look at after a TO. I remember people complaining about the same thing last preseason on the scoring plays (all of them were reviewed), but once regular season started, they mostly only reviewed the ones I wanted reviewed.

Well, the thing is that if there's a review on every turnover then the refs should stand around pulling their puds and letting the teams get lined up before realizing they have to do a review. They should just hustle and get their butts over to the peep show and get it over with as soon as possible.

Granted, it would be better if a Review Official looked over the replay and then buzzed down whether to go ahead and play or whether the ump should take a look but either way, it doesn't need to take as long as it has been.

ThaJokaa
08-12-2012, 04:55 PM
anyone have a dl link to the game?

Wolf
08-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Well, the thing is that if there's a review on every turnover then the refs should stand around pulling their puds and letting the teams get lined up before realizing they have to do a review. They should just hustle and get their butts over to the peep show and get it over with as soon as possible.

Granted, it would be better if a Review Official looked over the replay and then buzzed down whether to go ahead and play or whether the ump should take a look but either way, it doesn't need to take as long as it has been.

Yep. Like the annoncers joked. It took 5 minutes to put 3seconds back on the clock.(think it was after the Schaub int)

GP
08-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Ridiculous. Were the Texans bombing every game when we went 2-14? Teams suck sometimes. It happens. That Colts team was awful, and everyone knew it as soon as Manning left.

Fans just like conspiracy theories though. As a hockey fan, every year I see the same thing around the draft. And there is a lottery! It does not help that much, except occasionally screw a bad team

For example, this past year the Blue Jackets sucked hard. They always suck, but they were the worst team in the league this year. Thanks to the lottery, they did not get the 1st overall pick but the second. And the team who won the lottery picked 1st overall for the 3rd season in a row.

But with a lottery system it's still left to chance, not an AUTOMATIC GIMMEE that you get the first pick in the draft.

You need your head examined if you think a team like the Colts deserved to be able to trash their whole damn season and end up with the best QB prospect since the last damn time they got the best QB prospect.

What the Colts did last year, by starting a hack QB for all but a handful of games...led by a hack head coach who stood there like a good little boy and watched it all fall apart (like it was designed to do, btw) was beyond unethical. Yet they get rewarded with the top pick.

There has got to be a way to make the draft less likely to be gamed. And the Colts sure as hell gamed it the whole way. Oh well, what goes around comes around. Something will happen that will cost the Colts one way or another, consistently, because those sorts of dick moves always backfire in the end.

But to say so defiantly that a lottery system is wrong, when we have the greatest reason WHY a lottery system is better than just handing a gift to the "worst" team based on record alone, is what is ridiculous. That ball might have bounced for the wrong team three times-in-a-row but that's the ball bouncing and not a gimme draft pick year in and year out. And that counts for something. It should keep teams honest and show them that it's not a given that they'll get the top pick. Increase their odds? Yes. A gimmee pick? No.

Wolf
08-12-2012, 05:18 PM
I bet you hated the rockets then

GuerillaBlack
08-12-2012, 05:21 PM

So what is there to challenge now?

rmartin65
08-12-2012, 05:28 PM
But with a lottery system it's still left to chance, not an AUTOMATIC GIMMEE that you get the first pick in the draft.

You need your head examined if you think a team like the Colts deserved to be able to trash their whole damn season and end up with the best QB prospect since the last damn time they got the best QB prospect.

What the Colts did last year, by starting a hack QB for all but a handful of games...led by a hack head coach who stood there like a good little boy and watched it all fall apart (like it was designed to do, btw) was beyond unethical. Yet they get rewarded with the top pick.

There has got to be a way to make the draft less likely to be gamed. And the Colts sure as hell gamed it the whole way. Oh well, what goes around comes around. Something will happen that will cost the Colts one way or another, consistently, because those sorts of dick moves always backfire in the end.

But to say so defiantly that a lottery system is wrong, when we have the greatest reason WHY a lottery system is better than just handing a gift to the "worst" team based on record alone, is what is ridiculous. That ball might have bounced for the wrong team three times-in-a-row but that's the ball bouncing and not a gimme draft pick year in and year out. And that counts for something. It should keep teams honest and show them that it's not a given that they'll get the top pick. Increase their odds? Yes. A gimmee pick? No.

I dont think they tanked. Just look at the team's roster- it sucked. Could they have won more games? Possibly. But the bounces did not go that way. Caldwell was actually a decent coach, setting a rookie coach record in wins his first year.

Someone has to come in last. It was the Colts last year. It just sucks for us because we go from seeing Manning twice a year forever, to seeing Luck (who, while just a rookie, looks hella good) twice a year forever. But **** happens.

That said, I am not saying that a lottery system is stupid. All I am saying is that it does screw legitimately bad teams, and it does not reduce accusations of tanking.

rmartin65
08-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Complete/incomplete passes. And ball placement.

Wolf
08-12-2012, 05:29 PM

I don't know.. just NFL rules now says they have to review every turnover.

I think it sucks the way they are doing it. A big play just happened and momentum swings a bit with emotions high and then both teams have to wait aprox 2-3 minutes (if not more) for the review to be confirmed that a TO took place.

NitroGSXR
08-12-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm a little more worried about Schaub than I figured I'd be. I didn't like his decision to throw that ball under pressure and when did Gary start smoking crack?

I didn't like it either but I'll give him that it's been 8 months. What I liked seeing was how he's still got the roll out down ice cold. He's certainly appeared a little slower but still faking everybody out as if the injury never happened. Honestly, he got hit solid a couple times and I kind of liked that. Infantrycak said it best when he talked of his focus and determination. Schaub really is the quintessential professional when it comes to keeping it together. I think that gets underrated about him.

Carr Bombed
08-12-2012, 06:19 PM
I dont think they tanked. Just look at the team's roster- it sucked. Could they have won more games? Possibly. But the bounces did not go that way. Caldwell was actually a decent coach, setting a rookie coach record in wins his first year.

Someone has to come in last. It was the Colts last year. It just sucks for us because we go from seeing Manning twice a year forever, to seeing Luck (who, while just a rookie, looks hella good) twice a year forever. But **** happens.

That said, I am not saying that a lottery system is stupid. All I am saying is that it does screw legitimately bad teams, and it does not reduce accusations of tanking.

Caldwell was a horrible head coach.. (and hell never be given that title again) just ask any Colts fan. He was spineless, had zero leadership, and stood on the sidelines with a deer in headlights expression for the entire season (ala 2005 Capers, but worse). He was so bad he got a HOF GM fired. The guy was just a figure head who was along for the ride and when Peyton went down the bus crashed in the ditch.

rmartin65
08-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Caldwell was a horrible head coach.. (and hell never be given that title again) just ask any Colts fan. He was spineless, had zero leadership, and stood on the sidelines with a deer in headlights expression for the entire season (ala 2005 Capers, but worse). He was so bad he got a HOF GM fired. The guy was just a figure head who was along for the ride and when Peyton went down the bus crashed in the ditch.

Even if that is the case (I wont claim to be an expert on NFL coaching. Maybe decent was overselling him, but he was hardly the worst coach of all time), it is not like Caldwell was brought in to sink the Colts' season so they could land Luck. He had been the coach for 2 years, years where they made the playoffs. Their star player, the player they had built their team around, went down, and they sucked. It would happen to just about any team.

Playoffs
08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Foster arrived in Carolina but he left his brain in Houston. Cut off his outlet pattern, nice run but stripped. No biggie yet.

Schaub looks like he's going to play a bit scared in close quarters. A few plays I saw a kinda "hot potato" get-rid-of-the-ball reaction to feeling defensive pressures. Will monitor that.

Mix up on set or pattern between Schaub/Lestar/KeyMart in the red zone -- looked like it was on Lestar.

KJ nice technique/coverage on Steve Smith at the goal line.

J.Jo got beat off the line in red zone, but Cam missed the throw.

James Casey & Garrett Graham two very nice blocks to spring Trindon on the return TD. Panthers #81 almost caught him.

We'll be seeing end-arounds with KeyMart this year. (Never liked end-arounds for some reason.)

Schaub's INT -- looked like he expected Foster to curl left in front of the LB & Foster curled right? Stood in there well, took the hit.

Carolina O-line just looks lost in pass pro multiple times.

Middle of the 2s O-line good run blocking. Ben Jones looks the part.

TJ doesn't lead KeyMart in end zone. Missed chance.

Mercilus looks like a cat ready to pounce. Nice technique on the sack.

Braman playing everywhere, fighting/scuffling ... takes nothing off anyone. He's better.

Alan Ball playing the receiver all the way again & again. Sure penalty. Should've been coached up by now. Better against the run.

Coach Wade chewing on Coach Vance & officials.

Maehl alligator arms. Came back with first down catch over the middle.

Garrett Graham, nice game. Took a gut shot & held on, then 20 yard pattern reception, then first down.

Lestar looks better against the 2s & 3s.

Butler pass pro looks a bit questionable.

Casey playing too late into the game. Bench time, coach.

Brooks has good feet. Needs work, but he has the tools.

Fangupo makes a play chasing down backside screen! Almost gets the sack Braman got. Recovers a fumble. He's got some quick.

Tossup between Forsett & Grimes. Rather Grimes at the goal line. The kid has talent.

Cody White needs a smaller helmet or tighter chinstrap.

Coach Kubiak sweatin' everything down to the last play. Raising the bar, imo.

Bullock needs about 8 more yards of carry on kickoffs. Kicks a slow spinning ball, knuckles a bit. 52 yarder might win him the job right there.

Overall a good start against a bad team.

BullBlitz
08-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Some franchises get lucky? I guess. And other franchises pick David Carr instead of Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney. We could have been lucky too, if we were better at evaluating players.

ObsiWan
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM

He just threw another one. Looks like they upgraded at qb.:kitten:

I don't know how good or bad the Ram defense is, but the Colts offense in the first pre-season game of the year looks likes old days when Manning just took them up and down the field. I'm not liking this at all. Frickin' Luck looks good, considering all the dropped balls by his recievers.

Don't be overly impressed.
Remember the Rams finished 2-14.
They were in the bottom half (22 I think) in total D, 25th against the pass, 27th or so in scoring D, and 31st against the run. They fired last year's D coordinator and hired Greg Williams ...and he probably won't see an NFL sideline again. Well, not as long as Sheriff Goodell is around.

I'd say the Colts & Luck went up against the equivalent of our 2s or 3s.

Vinny
08-12-2012, 09:34 PM
They were in the bottom half (22 I think) in total D, 25th against the pass, 27th or so in scoring D, and 31st against the run. They fired last year's D coordinator and hired Greg Williams ...and he probably won't see an NFL sideline again. Well, not as long as Sheriff Goodell is around.

I'd say the Colts & Luck went up against the equivalent of our 2s or 3s.Homer spin? I was extremely impressed. Dude was more than "as advertised".

ObsiWan
08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Homer spin? I was extremely impressed. Dude was more than "as advertised".

Perhaps.
But one must consider the competition when making one's evaluation. And the Colts did play a 2-14 team that looked like a 2-14 team.

I mean the other two Colt QBs went 11 of 14 for 135 yds. The Rams couldn't stop the third string.

Indy goes to Pittsburgh next Sunday night. And the Ones should go the whole first qtr instead of two series. If Luck fares well against the Steeler D, THEN I'll be impressed.

GP
08-12-2012, 09:51 PM

You're being naive if you think the Colts didn't tank. The roster just sucked? I can't even remember the name of the guy they put at QB for roughly 90% of the season. Orlovsky was the better QB but did they play him? Uh yeah, they did...against US! LOL. But that was after they had virtually locked down the #1 overall pick. Might as well start Orlovsky vs. the Texans that late in the season to try and stick it to us on the way to their #1 overall pick. And they DID. %$#&!

To say that the Colts owner did not throw in the towel to get Luck is borderline....well, I won't say it. It goes against common sense to think the Colts just happened to suck badly enough to get the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning was the best QB prospect. No coincidences in big boy life, my friend. None.

The Colts owner is a more quiet slime ball version of Bud Adams, IMO. He tanked. It takes more effort to prove he didn't, especially with Caldwell at HC and some random dude at QB all year long. That doesn't speak of a team trying to get better, does it? Well, sort of...getting better via becoming as bad as you can be in one single season.

Exactly. There was ZERO moves made by the Colts to get better.

They had all off-season, knowing Manning was not going to be ready for 2011, and yet they put in some guy I cannot remember as QB. He was like a cross between Billy Joe Toliver and Jeff George but with the talent of Barney Fife. And throw in the superstar HC named Caldwell. LOL, it was awful. On purpose.

Even if that is the case (I wont claim to be an expert on NFL coaching. Maybe decent was overselling him, but he was hardly the worst coach of all time), it is not like Caldwell was brought in to sink the Colts' season so they could land Luck. He had been the coach for 2 years, years where they made the playoffs. Their star player, the player they had built their team around, went down, and they sucked. It would happen to just about any team.

You give way too much grace to the Colts. In fact, IMO, you're underselling their ability to read the writing on the wall...to know when to bail on Manning and when to kick it into overdrive for the Suck For Luck campaign.

The owner calculated this. He's not just wringing his hands and saying "Well, by golly, if we suck we suck and we get Luck...but we are damn sure going to try and win every game we can!" LOL. It's farcical to think the Colts owner had not premeditated the move to be awful. He had THE perfect excuse to suck...by virtue of Manning's neck injury. The owner USED Manning the whole way as a smokescreen, always keeping it a mystery if Manning would be back in time or not. The whole Colts team was duped, led to believe that mayyyyybe Manning could return in time to lead one last charge for the AFC South title. I'm not imagining this, it's what was on all the media and all the shows. The Colts systematically did things, in a calculating manner, to ensure that the worst version they could field was put ONTO the field.

And it sticks in my craw. It should stick in every NFL fans' craw, too.

I wonder at what point some independent thinker has the balls to do a systematic and illustrative list of the tactics the Colts used in the Suck For Luck campaign? It'd make the perfect Grantland article, IMO.

Vinny
08-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Perhaps.
But one must consider the competition when making one's evaluation. And the Colts did play a 2-14 team that looked like a 2-14 team.

I mean the other two Colt QBs went 11 of 14 for 135 yds. The Rams couldn't stop the third string.

Indy goes to Pittsburgh next Sunday night. And the Ones should go the whole first qtr instead of two series. If Luck fares well against the Steeler D, THEN I'll be impressed.
It's pro ball now...Fisher threw some complex stuff at him early and he had some composure...off the chart composure with overload gaps and blitzes. Fisher loaded the box and he handled it like a seasoned pro with no panic and making excellent choices. Anyone critical of Luck today can only be using homerlogic if you ask me. Yeah the Rams couldn't stop the third string but it was the Rams third string also.

GP
08-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Manning himself was either in on the gig, too, or he was also duped by the owner.

I want to think that Manning would be above such an unethical move by the owner, though. I think, honestly, that the owner even toyed with Manning and did/said things that he knew would string Manning along for as long as Manning could be strung along.

That one point, in the weeks leading up to when the Colts had to decide on keeping or cutting Manning...when The Foerhead got testy and said some hot-tempered things about the owner (via the media), and then he and the owner met and they sort of "worked out their differences" in private....I think THAT was when Manning knew he had been royally lied to.

There was a part of Manning that wanted to believe that he was on equal footing as Andre Luck and that there stood a chance the Colts would get Peyton back into the reg season and let him prove that he could stay as QB.

But after the end of the reg season, Peyton, IMO, knew he had been jobbed hardcore.

The Colts are dirty. They just do it a bit more under-the-radar, IMO.

gary
08-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Vinny, did that make you feel better?

GP
08-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Perhaps.

I think that's fair, too.

The Rams are awful, and WILL BE awful.

We returned a kickoff for a TD using Trindon Holliday...it's not like we're the world beaters in the area of kickoff returns. Sometimes, a person or a collection of persons has the breaks go their way.

If Luck spanks the Steelers and throws all over them in impressive form, I'll reevaluate my criticism of the Panic Button Squad. Right now, he was facing the Rams and the initial TD throw was a RB dump off that the RUNNING BACK took to the house on an awful Rams defense.

Looking at our boys in Steel Blue and Battle Red...I'd like to think they got the right stuff to make Luck look a little more human than the Rams did. Wade Phillips is no rookie d-coord. He will have the players on their toes for Andrew Luck. There will be lots of tape to go on.

Mark Sanchez looked like a beast, too, early on. Then the league figured him out. He hasn't been the same since. D-coordinators live for this. Especially SOB.

ObsiWan
08-12-2012, 10:02 PM
It's pro ball now...Fisher threw some complex stuff at him early and he had some composure...off the chart composure with overload gaps and blitzes. Fisher loaded the box and he handled it like a seasoned pro with no panic and making excellent choices. Anyone critical of Luck today can only be using homerlogic if you ask me. Yeah the Rams couldn't stop the third string but it was the Rams third string also.

I don't recall saying anything "critical of Luck". I just said consider who they were up against. He certainly took advantage of a sucky defense, I'm not denying that. But I'm not going Ga-Ga over a middle screen where Brown did all the work (think about it, Luck's ball was in the air all of five yards on that 60+ yd TD). Now the second TD WAS impressive. Looked off the safety and threw a strike to Collie. BUT he had all day.

All I'm saying is let me see him do that to the Steelers then I'll be impressed.

Texan_Bill
08-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Re: 1st preseason evaluation

I was completely off my game! I wasn't feeling well and my AC went out!!

Just turrible!!!!!!

.*EDIT*
I did make it to "the Colorado" which picked things up a bit!

ObsiWan
08-12-2012, 10:24 PM
I was completely off my game! I wasn't feeling well and my AC went out!!

Just turrible!!!!!!

.*EDIT*
I did make it to "the Colorado" which picked things up a bit!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUR5Nk3e3u4h-66sMEYMa63oGZZBlasz37DlMoVbxHfjLjbIin

Well, even a genius can have an off day.
:D

utahmark
08-12-2012, 10:25 PM
You're being naive if you think the Colts didn't tank. The roster just sucked? I can't even remember the name of the guy they put at QB for roughly 90% of the season. Orlovsky was the better QB but did they play him? Uh yeah, they did...against US! LOL. But that was after they had virtually locked down the #1 overall pick. Might as well start Orlovsky vs. the Texans that late in the season to try and stick it to us on the way to their #1 overall pick. And they DID. %$#&!

To say that the Colts owner did not throw in the towel to get Luck is borderline....well, I won't say it. It goes against common sense to think the Colts just happened to suck badly enough to get the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning was the best QB prospect. No coincidences in big boy life, my friend. None.

The Colts owner is a more quiet slime ball version of Bud Adams, IMO. He tanked. It takes more effort to prove he didn't, especially with Caldwell at HC and some random dude at QB all year long. That doesn't speak of a team trying to get better, does it? Well, sort of...getting better via becoming as bad as you can be in one single season.

They had all off-season, knowing Manning was not going to be ready for 2011, and yet they put in some guy I cannot remember as QB. He was like a cross between Billy Joe Toliver and Jeff George but with the talent of Barney Fife. And throw in the superstar HC named Caldwell. LOL, it was awful. On purpose.

You give way too much grace to the Colts. In fact, IMO, you're underselling their ability to read the writing on the wall...to know when to bail on Manning and when to kick it into overdrive for the Suck For Luck campaign.

The owner calculated this. He's not just wringing his hands and saying "Well, by golly, if we suck we suck and we get Luck...but we are damn sure going to try and win every game we can!" LOL. It's farcical to think the Colts owner had not premeditated the move to be awful. He had THE perfect excuse to suck...by virtue of Manning's neck injury. The owner USED Manning the whole way as a smokescreen, always keeping it a mystery if Manning would be back in time or not. The whole Colts team was duped, led to believe that mayyyyybe Manning could return in time to lead one last charge for the AFC South title. I'm not imagining this, it's what was on all the media and all the shows. The Colts systematically did things, in a calculating manner, to ensure that the worst version they could field was put ONTO the field.

I wonder at what point some independent thinker has the balls to do a systematic and illustrative list of the tactics the Colts used in the Suck For Luck campaign? It'd make the perfect Grantland article, IMO.

It would of been tough to fire their coach after his first year going to the superbowl and then a narrow loss in the first round of the playoff's. Any team would of given Caldwell one year without Peyton to see what he could do. Although it was pretty obvious he would suck.

Vinny
08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't recall saying anything "critical of Luck". I just said consider who they were up against. He certainly took advantage of a sucky defense, I'm not denying that. But I'm not going Ga-Ga over a middle screen where Brown did all the work (think about it, Luck's ball was in the air all of five yards on that 60+ yd TD). Now the second TD WAS impressive. Looked off the safety and threw a strike to Collie. BUT he had all day.

All I'm saying is let me see him do that to the Steelers then I'll be impressed.he would have had 3 td's if that long pass over the middle didn't end up on the 1 yard line. He also had a few passes dropped. Dude looked good, I ain't taking nuttin' away from him today....props to him. I envy the Colts.

utahmark
08-12-2012, 10:34 PM

All I'm saying is let me see him do that to the Steelers then I'll be impressed.

His offensive line was'nt blocking very well the first couple of series. He did'nt have anytime at all. He managed not to do anything to hurt the team. He avoided a couple sacks, threw the ball away when he needed to. Then when he got a little bit of time he marched down the field 3 times against an nfl defense in his first game ever. Looked pretty good to me. This same colts offense scored more than 21 points 3 times last year without him. He led them to 21 points in the first half of his first nfl game.

badboy
08-12-2012, 10:52 PM
I always find it interesting how we can all watch same game and get different evals on players. More curious is why we have to get nasty and rude with each other.

CloakNNNdagger
08-12-2012, 10:59 PM
An interesting compilation of stats by Nick Scurfield.

Postgame notes (http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/08/12/texans-26-panthers-13-postgame-notes/)

Hervoyel
08-12-2012, 11:08 PM

I disagree if only to the extent that I think there's still room to wait and see on this. It's the Rams. Sure it's Jeff Fisher coaching the Rams but it's the Rams. Jeff Fisher may have thrown some complex stuff at him early but Jeff Fisher didn't magically turn their defense into something formidable. The people who have to execute that are just as "Week 1 of preseason" as Luck is and while he's a rookie, they were chicken crap last year. They didn't become chicken salad in one off-season.

Luck did very well this time out. I'll need to see him do it a few more times before I'm ready to anoint him the second coming of Peyton.

Rey
08-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Andrew luck is going to be a challenge when we play him.

Doesn't mean he's going to roast us, but Luck is going to be a very good player with potential to be great.

That kinda sucks but iiwii.

Corrosion
08-12-2012, 11:48 PM

I'd say the Colts & Luck went up against the equivalent of our 2s or 3s.

Obviously they upgraded at QB over what they had last year .... but Luck is no Peyton Manning.

The first TD was made possible by the blocking downfield , it was stellar - I could have scored on that one.

He did make some good throws but that Rams D was atrocious. A highschool team might give them a run for their money.

Luck might be a solid NFL QB but again , he aint no Peyton Manning .... He's closer to TJ Yates at this point.

dalemurphy
08-13-2012, 12:17 AM
I guess the job is left to me once again:

Shelley Smith was an animal yesterday! He played most of the game at LG and was absolutely dominant throughout. Barring injury, I don't see how they can keep him off the field. He has to at least be the backup interior lineman on game days. The guy is very, very good.

Rey
08-13-2012, 12:29 AM

Shelley Smith was an animal yesterday! He played most of the game at LG and was absolutely dominant throughout. Barring injury, I don't see how they can keep him off the field. He has to at least be the backup interior lineman on game days. The guy is very, very good.

I can't comment on it because I didn't watch him specifically.

But I hope he is the real deal.

rmartin65
08-13-2012, 08:04 AM

You are upset they did not play Dan "runoutoftheendzoneforasafety" Orlovsky? Orlovsky at the time was a known quantity. Painter was (and still is) a young QB. They might as well see what he has.

As for Manning- he was not ruled out until Sept 7th. They thought he would be able to play this season. Now, was it a bad decision to have no contingency plan? Yep, but Manning had been an iron man thus far.

Could there have been a conspiracy? Yes. Is it likely? Nope. Everyone got fired. People would not willingly tank and jeopardize their careers. Now if the FO remained unchanged after such a season, that would be a red flag.

Jackie Chiles
08-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Do you remember at what time he came into the game? I might go back and watch it again and wouldn't mind seeing if I agree with your assessment.

GP
08-13-2012, 11:34 AM
You are upset they did not play Dan "runoutoftheendzoneforasafety" Orlovsky? Orlovsky at the time was a known quantity. Painter was (and still is) a young QB. They might as well see what he has.

As for Manning- he was not ruled out until Sept 7th. They thought he would be able to play this season. Now, was it a bad decision to have no contingency plan? Yep, but Manning had been an iron man thus far.

Could there have been a conspiracy? Yes. Is it likely? Nope. Everyone got fired. People would not willingly tank and jeopardize their careers. Now if the FO remained unchanged after such a season, that would be a red flag.

How does cleaning house after a tank job indicate there wasn't a tank job???

LOL.

1. Field a bad team, including a bad HC.

2. Tank it.

3. Celebrate your tank job by firing everyone and bringing in BETTER people...since you'll be bringing in a better QB too.

4. Draft Andrew Luck.

It takes more faith to believe the Colts were just inadvertently bad than to think the Colts staged a well- devised Suck For Luck campaign.

rmartin65
08-13-2012, 11:59 AM
How does cleaning house after a tank job indicate there wasn't a tank job???

LOL.

1. Field a bad team, including a bad HC.

2. Tank it.

3. Celebrate your tank job by firing everyone and bringing in BETTER people...since you'll be bringing in a better QB too.

4. Draft Andrew Luck.

It takes more faith to believe the Colts were just inadvertently bad than to think the Colts staged a well- devised Suck For Luck campaign.

You think the owner orchestrated the "tank", independent of anyone else? That the players, coaching staff, GM etc had no idea what was going on?

Because that is the only way a tank job could happen. Players, coaches, and front office workers would not risk their career by doing a bad job on purpose.

b0ng
08-13-2012, 12:08 PM

You think the Colts did that on purpose just to get Luck? I think you are the one that needs your head examined. You do realize that Polian was fired/left the organization after this last seasons debacle and a new GM was brought in to make the Luck pick right? Also, Jim Caldwell must've been perfectly fine tanking so that he also would get fired and replaced by Chuck Pagano. Do you think the Panthers tanked on purpose just to get Cam Newton? really?

Are you some kind of nutjob conspiracy theorist? By your accusations it would seem every team to have the #1 overall pick every year "unethically gamed the system" which you flat out pulled out of your ass just now.

No, a lottery system is wrong and there is no need for it. Did the Texans "game the system" when Kris Brown shanked what was a 20 something yard FG against the 49'ers in 2005 to win the "Bush Bowl"? Conspiracy theories are not facts and you shouldn't spout them as such.

EDIT: GP, go post your insane rantings about the Colts and Luck in this thread --> http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93767

That way we don't have to see this garbage in the Texans forum since you seem to be all about discussing the Colts today.

Texanmike02
08-13-2012, 12:12 PM

I don't think Schaub made the wrong read. He got schlacked as he was releasing the ball. He was going another 5 yards down the field to (Walter?) a reciever that was open. If there was a mistake it was not picking up the blitzing CB from the blind side.

Mike

The Medic01
08-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Right side of offensive line looked very good on the first drive except for one play where Caldwell got driven back to Schaub when Kmart caught his first pass.

The Medic01
08-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Oh on the goal line play Kuechly stuffed Tate because Butler couldn't get to him so that was bad but other than that good,

GP
08-13-2012, 12:52 PM
You think the owner orchestrated the "tank", independent of anyone else? That the players, coaching staff, GM etc had no idea what was going on?

Because that is the only way a tank job could happen. Players, coaches, and front office workers would not risk their career by doing a bad job on purpose.

I've stated my position. You yours.

Then a troll came in and tried to bait me into a flame war with him, as usual.

So it's time to move on.

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't think Schaub made the wrong read. He got schlacked as he was releasing the ball. He was going another 5 yards down the field to (Walter?) a reciever that was open. If there was a mistake it was not picking up the blitzing CB from the blind side.

Mike

That's what I saw.

There wasn't a problem with the accuracy of his throw, per se, there was a problem with getting hit while throwing.

I don't know who it was on to get that picked up, but someone misread that and got the blocking assignment arsed up.

infantrycak
08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
That's what I saw.

There wasn't a problem with the accuracy of his throw, per se, there was a problem with getting hit while throwing.

I don't know who it was on to get that picked up, but someone misread that and got the blocking assignment arsed up.

I'll third this. If there was an error it was in not understanding he wasn't going to get the ball off cleanly.

The Medic01
08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
That's what I saw.

It was a CB blitz. Not much you can do when you have 2 guys trying to block 3.

As of TJ YATES first drive both Derek Newton and Caldwell have been playing very well. Impressed with Caldwell except for that one play he got bull rushed.

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2012, 01:04 PM
It was a CB blitz. Not much you can do when you have 2 guys trying to block 3.

A CB blitz is usually on the QB to get rid of the ball. So that could be some rust on Matt in making his reads. He's usually pretty good against the blitzes.

IDEXAN
08-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Yes he was outstanding, but how many interior Olineman can they keep ? They've got the starters (W.Smith, Myers, & Caldwell) and their 2 rookie draft picks Brooks & Jones, so can they have more than that on the 53 man roster ? Is there any chance Shelly Smith could beat out W.Smith or Caldwell as a starter ?

utahmark
08-13-2012, 01:29 PM

That would of been completly imposible. No way anyone could of predicted that without peyton the same colts team that was a perennial superbowl contender would have the worst record in the league.

rmartin65
08-13-2012, 01:32 PM
That would of been completly imposible. No way anyone could of predicted that without peyton the same colts team that was a perennial superbowl contender would have the worst record in the league.

Which was what my point was.

GP
08-13-2012, 01:32 PM
That smack on Schaub was just what we needed to happen.

He got hit, he tumbled to the ground...and then he got up and walked off the field.

He now has the faith in his foot that was not going to be there had he not gotten roughed up a bit. Best thing that could've happened. Nobody is mentioning this, IIRC.

Up until then, he was untouched and untested on that foot. He even sort of crumpled a bit, IMO, as if he was bracing for the inevitable as he's getting touched by the defender...then he gets up, and you just gotta' know that he placed his weight on that foot, on that first step getting off the ground, and thought "OK, we're good to go."

Any time you come back from that big of an injury, it's in the back of your mind: Can I trust the foot? What if I plant it too hard? What if I'm not really ready?

The only way is through true trial and error. And he had not had true trial and error until a blitzer put him on the ground, in traffic.

I expect him to come out in the next game and OWN everyone. If not, if there are mobility issues that affect his passing game...then I'll be crushed. There will then be time for panic. As of now, I'm thinking he needed a good dose of rough play in order to get over the mental facet of the recovery and return to the game.

GP
08-13-2012, 01:35 PM

I don't think either of you watch much football, other than the Texans then.

Anybody who thought the Colts would succeed with Curtis Painter at QB and Manning out for a season...I just truly don't get that train of thought. LOL.

Anyways, it's time to move on. Remember???

RunninRaven
08-13-2012, 01:38 PM
I didn't focus on any individual O-linemen, but it seemed like the right side run blocking was very good with the 2nd teamers. I know that included Newton because I saw him do some good things on occasion, but I assume that means Brooks was doing well also. I don't remember what kind of pass protection we had. Anyone focus on the O-line play specifically that could give a grade on some of these guys? It's the O-line battle that interests me the most this pre-season.

Texanmike02
08-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I'll third this. If there was an error it was in not understanding he wasn't going to get the ball off cleanly.

It was kind of a weird play. Brown was able to push the DE into the CB and slow him up a bit. I thought that it was (tate?)'s responsiblity but he went straight up the middle.

FWIW I don't think that blitz comes if we've got AJ in there. Not very often that the opposition is going to leave a safety in single coverage and bring a CB.

Mike

rmartin65
08-13-2012, 01:44 PM

Anybody who thought the Colts would succeed with Curtis Painter at QB and Manning out for a season...I just truly don't get that train of thought. LOL.

You cant just throw out a dig, then hope no one will answer.

The Colts did not know Manning would not be available the whole season during the summer (where big moves are made). Also, I did not expect the Colts to be Super Bowl contenders without Manning, but I did not expect 2-14. Anywhere around 4-12 sounded about right.

Texanmike02
08-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Which was what my point was.

Not to get into the argument but once Manning was down everyone I know was predicting they were the worst team in the league.

Mike

The Medic01
08-13-2012, 01:46 PM
I didn't focus on any individual O-linemen, but it seemed like the right side run blocking was very good with the 2nd teamers. I know that included Newton because I saw him do some good things on occasion, but I assume that means Brooks was doing well also. I don't remember what kind of pass protection we had. Anyone focus on the O-line play specifically that could give a grade on some of these guys? It's the O-line battle that interests me the most this pre-season.

1st string B
2 string A-
3 string B-
Remember that I saw Caldwell Newron and Butler all in with every string.

infantrycak
08-13-2012, 01:50 PM

Anybody who was watching last year knows Kerry Collins was the intended starter until going on IR. You might have noticed him - he was the QB against the Texans on opening day. Then in the first two weeks their already mediocre at best D lost two starters to IR. Your conspiracy theory on this stuff is whack. As rmartin has ably pointed out there is no way the coaches and GM were in on any such plot.

Rey
08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Not to get into the argument but once Manning was down everyone I know was predicting they were the worst team in the league.

Mike

That's how I remember it as well but I don't know about worse team in the league bad.

BUT, I visited the Colts message board quite a bit and their own fans largely seemed to believe they'd win more than they did. 8-8 seemed to be about the low end of the specturm of predictions for them.

But I don't understand this talk of the colts tanking or of them not building a good team. They went to the superbowl 2 times and won once. I hope we can be that bad one day.

Texanmike02
08-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Anybody who was watching last year knows Kerry Collins was the intended starter until going on IR. Then in the first two weeks their already mediocre at best D lost two starters to IR. Your conspiracy theory on this stuff is whack.

True but everyone knew that if they couldn't get up by 2 scores early that their defense was going to get demolished. They were built around Peyton's offense.

Once Peyton was gone they were done.

Mike

Rey
08-13-2012, 01:57 PM
True but everyone knew that if they couldn't get up by 2 scores early that their defense was going to get demolished. They were built around Peyton's offense.

Mike

Done in what sense?

Not being superbowl contenders? Well of course.

Done as in struggle to win 2 games...I don't think many people thought they'd be THAT bad...

infantrycak
08-13-2012, 02:12 PM

I am not saying anyone thought they were going to do well without Manning. That team was built entirely around him. In fact what I am saying is the exact game total may have been lower than initially expected but it didn't take any mass tanking conspiracy to get where they ended.

Thorn
08-13-2012, 02:16 PM
I am not saying anyone thought they were going to do well without Manning. That team was built entirely around him. In fact what I am saying is the exact game total may have been lower than initially expected but it didn't take any mass tanking conspiracy to get where they ended.

Hell, one of their two wins last year was against the Texans. LOL

b0ng
08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Can we please discuss the Colts in the NFL forum? :)

On the Schaub interception, I chalk that up to a well timed CB blitz that the Carolina D made a play with. Sometimes you can't help it if the defense makes a good play.

What I really wanted to see out of Schaub was how much zip was on his passes, if his mechanics were any different and if he was less mobile than before. Honestly he looked like the same old guy, just with a lot of time missing since last we saw him. There was some mental rust but I think physically he looked pretty decent. Hoping the Doc can come in and give his analysis on if he was favoring a foot while throwing or if his balance looked off or if there were any indicators that Doc could pick up on that us normies can't.

Dutchrudder
08-13-2012, 02:20 PM
The right side of our offensive line was terrible in pass protection. Butler got beat several times and allowed QB hits. Brown looked great in contrast. We really need to figure out what to do at RT, because it looked like the weak link on the line that game.

Texanmike02
08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Done in what sense?

Not being superbowl contenders? Well of course.

Done as in struggle to win 2 games...I don't think many people thought they'd be THAT bad...

Done as in a 3 or 4 win team at best. They were already vunerable with Manning at the helm, without manning they were going to be one of the worst teams in the league. Their defense was built to rush the passer once they got ahead. They had made a lot of bad personnel decisions that was masked by having one of the best QBs of all time. Collins wasn't going to save them, he might have made them watchable but he wasn't going to win games.

Mike

dalemurphy
08-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Do you remember at what time he came into the game? I might go back and watch it again and wouldn't mind seeing if I agree with your assessment.

He came in with the twos (end of 1st) and played into the 4th quarter,I believe.

I know the numbers are difficult. However, this guy is a starter caliber player (and a good one), IMO. The Texans may not keep a 4th OT (they may use Brooks or Wade Smith as the 4th, so that would open up some room). Still, from what I have seen, I would cut Jones or Brooks (I know they wont) before Shelley Smith, if he has a healthy preseason.

b0ng
08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
He came in with the twos (end of 1st) and played into the 4th quarter,I believe.

I know the numbers are difficult. However, this guy is a starter caliber player (and a good one), IMO. The Texans may not keep a 4th OT (they may use Brooks or Wade Smith as the 4th, so that would open up some room). Still, from what I have seen, I would cut Jones or Brooks (I know they wont) before Shelley Smith, if he has a healthy preseason.

Jones played a lot of snaps as well after Myers was done for the night and I thought he was decent enough.

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2012, 02:41 PM

In the past, Kubes has gone with 3 tackles and a couple stuffed on PS. I expect us to go with Brown on the LHS and Newton on the RHS with Butler being a swing tackle.

When I put my 53 together, I had us keeping Brooks and Jones because they're draft choices. Although I think Brooks could step in at RT in a pinch. And then my last OL was Shelley. I think he's going to stick. He's being given the chance to make a case for himself, I think, much like Trindon. He's just got to step up and perform.

The Medic01
08-13-2012, 02:46 PM
The right side of our offensive line was terrible in pass protection. Butler got beat several times and allowed QB hits. Brown looked great in contrast. We really need to figure out what to do at RT, because it looked like the weak link on the line that game.

Butler actually looked pretty good. Don't know where you got that.

Dutchrudder
08-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Butler actually looked pretty good. Don't know where you got that.

Well for starters on the Schaub INT, the DE ran right past him and had a direct hit on Schaub. On the other side of that play, Brown tied up his DE just fine, but a CB blitz came around his edge to sandwich Schaub. I don't think Butler even touched his guy before he got to Schaub.

On the Foster fumble play, he completely whiffed on his cut block. That forced Foster more towards the left side so he could avoid the guy Butler missed. Not saying the fumble was Butler's fault, but it's obvious where the O-line was making the lane and he didn't help.

Several of the early runs on the goalline failed because the right side collapsed. It was pretty obvious that this is going to be a problem down the road for us.

He looked below average to me, but I also don't think we have any better tackles on the roster.

The Medic01
08-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Well for starters on the Schaub INT, the DE ran right past him and had a direct hit on Schaub. On the other side of that play, Brown tied up his DE just fine, but a CB blitz came around his edge to sandwich Schaub. I don't think Butler even touched his guy before he got to Schaub.

On the Foster fumble play, he completely whiffed on his cut block. That forced Foster more towards the left side so he could avoid the guy Butler missed. Not saying the fumble was Butler's fault, but it's obvious where the O-line was making the lane and he didn't help.

Several of the early runs on the goalline failed because the right side collapsed. It was pretty obvious that this is going to be a problem down the road for us.

He looked below average to me, but I also don't think we have any better tackles on the roster.
He whiffd one block he took his man out of the play on the other and he had a goal Line mistake which is one fixable with more time with the rest of the blockers. I don't see how this spells doom after one preseason game.

Dutchrudder
08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
He whiffd one block he took his man out of the play on the other and he had a goal Line mistake which is one fixable with more time with the rest of the blockers. I don't see how this spells doom after one preseason game.

Where do you get "doom" from? You're reading way too much into my comments if you think I said that. I said he was the "weak link" and that "it will be problem for us". If you call that "doom", then you're overreacting. You know, it is possible to criticize performance without going to the extreme. The guy has been in the league for 6 years now, so I expect more from him than what I think are rookie-type mistakes.

Anyways, there were other plays that he screwed up, but I'm not at home to look at them on the DVR. Those were the few I could see on the highlights at NFL.com. He was only in for about 15 snaps, which is a small sample size, but still needs to be considered.

The Medic01
08-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Where do you get "doom" from? You're reading way too much into my comments if you think I said that. I said he was the "weak link" and that "it will be problem for us". If you call that "doom", then you're overreacting. You know, it is possible to criticize performance without going to the extreme. The guy has been in the league for 6 years now, so I expect more from him than what I think are rookie-type mistakes.

Anyways, there were other plays that he screwed up, but I'm not at home to look at them on the DVR. Those were the few I could see on the highlights at NFL.com. He was only in for about 15 snaps, which is a small sample size, but still needs to be considered.

Also look at how most teams have 2-3 Oline weaknesses it looks like we really only have 1 at this point so above average.

Dutchrudder
08-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Also look at how most teams have 2-3 Oline weaknesses it looks like we really only have 1 at this point so above average.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/jeep_reaction.gif

The Medic01
08-13-2012, 04:25 PM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/jeep_reaction.gif

Sorry don't get what you are trying to say here.

The Medic01
08-13-2012, 04:59 PM
I guess I'm saying that Butler can be average or slightly below average and we cans still be a top 10 offensive line.

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Can we please discuss the Colts in the NFL forum? :)

On the Schaub interception, I chalk that up to a well timed CB blitz that the Carolina D made a play with. Sometimes you can't help it if the defense makes a good play.

What I really wanted to see out of Schaub was how much zip was on his passes, if his mechanics were any different and if he was less mobile than before. Honestly he looked like the same old guy, just with a lot of time missing since last we saw him. There was some mental rust but I think physically he looked pretty decent. Hoping the Doc can come in and give his analysis on if he was favoring a foot while throwing or if his balance looked off or if there were any indicators that Doc could pick up on that us normies can't.

Truthfully, it was very difficult to make any real conclusions. On virtually every play, he remained in the pocket, close to where the ball was snapped, hardly moving, and releasing the balls quickly. There was only one play that I saw where he ran back unobstructed to his right (mostly straight line) while most of the rest of the O ran left. He had one defender in wide open space coming at him, with multiple open receivers reported. Yet he did not seem to, or want to kick out and make an early sharp change in direction to give himself a little extra time and space to find his receiver. Can't determine intent in terms of rust vs. inability to move quickly enough. Will need to see him in more rollout/bootleg scenarios, and specifically in fierce rush situations.

badboy
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
I think Schaub gained confidence and another week of healing. On to game 2.

Rey
08-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Truthfully, it was very difficult to make any real conclusions. On virtually every play, he remained in the pocket, close to where the ball was snapped, hardly moving, and releasing the balls quickly. There was only one play that I saw where he ran back unobstructed to his right (mostly straight line) while most of the rest of the O ran left. He had one defender in wide open space coming at him, with multiple open receivers reported. Yet he did not seem to, or want to kick out and make an early sharp change in direction to give himself a little extra time and space to find his receiver. Can't determine intent in terms of rust vs. inability to move quickly enough. Will need to see him in more rollout/bootleg scenarios, and specifically in fierce rush situations.

To me it looked like he didn't want to or couldn't make any sudden movements.

I could be wrong, but it looks like to me he has even less maneuverability to buy extra time.

He's never been mr speedy speed, but in the past it seemed like he would atleast try to buy extra seconds before succumbing to the rush.

Maybe I'm just seeing things or maybe it's not his inability to do it as much as his reluctance to. But I'm with you...I need to see more to pin point exactly what it is I'm seeing with him.

I didn't think he looked rusty mentally at all. Seemed very sharp in knowing where to go with the ball and I think he saw the blitz well, but as I noted I think something is not quite right physically.

Kaiser Toro
08-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I finally watched the game. I have never been a Butler fan and will be surprised if he is on the roster the whole season. Brown at LT, Newton at RT and Gardner at Swing.

Butler's doing the Charleston when he needs to be doing the Tango. His footwork is lousy, with a lack of balance taking away any strength,that he may have.

Gardner makes this team IMO - good feet and can get to the ground.

Brooks fits in nicely, his ability to get his body going showed in getting to the second level and pulling.

Rey
08-13-2012, 11:58 PM
I finally watched the game. I have never been a Butler fan and will be surprised if he is on the roster the whole season. Brown at LT, Newton at RT and Gardner at Swing.

Butler's doing the Charleston when he needs to be doing the Tango. His footwork is lousy, with a lack of balance taking away any strength,that he may have.

Gardner makes this team IMO - good feet and can get to the ground.

Brooks fits in nicely, his ability to get his body going showed in getting to the second level and pulling.

I haven't rewatched the game but I need to so I can rewind and watch individual o linemen.

Interesting takes to say the least.

Lucky
08-13-2012, 11:58 PM
A very strong statement. Butler definitely looks like a guy who hasn't played in a year. But, I'd be surprised if Kubiak rolled the dice on Newton and Gardner, without Butler as a fallback. Not very Kubiak-esque.

Kaiser Toro
08-14-2012, 12:17 AM
A very strong statement. Butler definitely looks like a guy who hasn't played in a year. But, I'd be surprised if Kubiak rolled the dice on Newton and Gardner, without Butler as a fallback. Not very Kubiak-esque.

It was one game, but for me Butler was consistent from past years.

We are such a better team today. But I am extremely concerned about the RT position, especially if Butler is in the mix.

Allstar
08-14-2012, 01:34 AM
It was one game, but for me Butler was consistent from past years.

We are such a better team today. But I am extremely concerned about the RT position, especially if Butler is in the mix.

Didn't they pay him a pretty decent contract for a swing tackle a year ago? Our line seemed to hold up fine when Brown was suspended. Do you really think he'd get cut?

SteveSlaton20
08-14-2012, 02:48 AM
Posted this on another site, so I'll just post this here.

Watched the entire game last night and thought I'd share my thoughts on our players.

Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed are still playing great. Whitney Mercilus and Bryan Braman are going to be great backups. Mercilus had a 1.5 sack and Bryan Braman had a sack, but he was all over Derek Anderson in every passing plays. Braman was a nice surprise player that went undrafted, and don't be surprised if he gets more playing this season. I don't think we'll miss a beat at pass rush, even if Barwin and Reed gets injured, although I'd prefer if they didn't.
Tim Dobbins is a beast as well, he isn't afraid to get in the OL's way and make a stop. Also had 1.5 sack. I like him a lot better than Bradie James, but I'm not sure how well Dobbins can cover. Need to see more of both. Mister Alexander didn't stand out, but that can be both good or bad.

I hope Alan Ball keep playing as bad as he did because I was impressed with Brandon Harris. Harris had his receivers on shut down and had a big goal line stop. Kareem looks a LOT better, almost had an interception but he wasn't letting Cam Newton throw all over him. Our CBs should be Joseph - Jackson - McCain - Harris. If KJ keeps improving, nobody is going to have an easy time passing on us with, especially along with our pass rush. Our safeties are going to be excellent too, Danieal Manning and Glover Quin are the most underrated starting safeties in the league, and I hope it stays that way. Troy Nolan and Quintin Demps are great backups to go with that as well, they had good plays in Saturdays game. Sherrick McManis wasn't as bad as everyone on here made him out to be, he only had one "holding" call and gave up one pass I believe, but other than that he was good.

Our DL will be great again, Tim Jamison proved that he can played with our starters if JJ Watt or Antonio Smith is ever hurt. Good Solid DE. Not sure if Jared Crick played but I don't remember seeing him.

I'm really impressed with Martin, he's as good as everyone been saying. James Casey can play, and I'm looking forward to him this season along with Garrett Graham, who also had a good game. Lestar Jean finally showed me he can play and hopefully he'll keep playing as well as he did Saturday. I'd like to see him get the ball more tho. Trindon Holliday was ****ing awesome on kick returns, not just his TD return but he had 2-3 other nice returns. I'm hoping for him to be our starter at KR.

Was impressed with TJ Yates, John Beck didn't play bad either, and Schaub threw an interception that was both the tackles fault. Rashad Butler didn't see the cornerback blitz and he had a free hit on Schaub while Derek Newton got destroyed by his man and he had a free hit on Schaub as well, but Schaub needs to throw that away or take the sack. We're going to be Duane Brown back and get him back ASAP if we want Schaub healthy.

Forsett was decent, had one dumb play but other than that I'm satisfied with him as our third string RB. 50/50 on Grimes, he doesn't have any cutting abilities, he's just a train. He had a TD, but I don't see him making the team. He'll probably end up on the PS along with Meggett, who IMO is a rookie version of Slaton, just needs some experiences IMO. #40 FB, was very good IMO. Seems like every time he was in there with Forsett, we ended up with a 4+ yards average. Was impressed by him.

I think that's it. Looking forward to the Niners game next week. I think Andre will be back and maybe Duane Brown? Cant remember how long Brown is out for, but we're going to need him.

Allstar
08-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Brown played in the Carolina game.

Kaiser Toro
08-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Didn't they pay him a pretty decent contract for a swing tackle a year ago? Our line seemed to hold up fine when Brown was suspended. Do you really think he'd get cut?

I believe it is the final year of his contract. We have quality all over the line and are looking two deep at each position, save for RT.

I am not saying cut, but would not be surprised to see him waived. The team can do better in the short and long term.

beerlover
08-14-2012, 11:39 AM
I believe it is the final year of his contract. We have quality all over the line and are looking two deep at each position, save for RT.

I am not saying cut, but would not be surprised to see him waived. The team can do better in the short and long term.

Butler is a better LT than he is @ RT. His value is higher because of that (teams always need depth @ blindside protection). Texans will not overpay to keep him but will most likely offer a fair & reasonable extension next off-season @ least until Mondek is ready who looks ideal to be Texans future swing tackle. :)

Kaiser Toro
08-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Butler is a better LT than he is @ RT. His value is higher because of that (teams always need depth @ blindside protection). Texans will not overpay to keep him but will most likely offer a fair & reasonable extension next off-season @ least until Mondek is ready who looks ideal to be Texans future swing tackle. :)

What are your observations on Gardner?

badboy
08-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Butler is a better LT than he is @ RT. His value is higher because of that (teams always need depth @ blindside protection). Texans will not overpay to keep him but will most likely offer a fair & reasonable extension next off-season @ least until Mondek is ready who looks ideal to be Texans future swing tackle. :)This is what I was going to post. He did too well replacing Brown and we should keep Butler until end of season, minimum. Coming back from injury & new position earns him rest of preseason before much panic on my part.

76Texan
08-14-2012, 02:39 PM

1. On the INT, it was Newton who got beat.
BUTLER was not in the line-up.

2. The cut block on Foster's fumble was not good, but it wasn't terrible.
Afterall, Foster did gain some nine yards on the play.

ChampionTexan
08-14-2012, 02:57 PM

What is the distinction between waived and cut?

The Medic01
08-14-2012, 03:02 PM
1. On the INT, it was Newton who got beat.
BUTLER was not in the line-up.

2. The cut block on Foster's fumble was not good, but it wasn't terrible.
Afterall, Foster did gain some nine yards on the play.

Oh was it? Missed that thanks.

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2012, 03:12 PM
What is the distinction between waived and cut?

It depends on whether the player is a vested veteran or not but it's effectively the same thing for the team getting rid of the player.

For the player, it's a very different thing. If you're a vested veteran and you're cut, you're free to sign with whoever you want. If you're not a vested veteran and you're cut, teams can place a claim on you. The teams get priority based on their previous year's record. So a player gets cut and a 2-14 team and a 14-2 team places a claim on him, the 2-14 team gets the player.

infantrycak
08-14-2012, 03:17 PM
It depends on whether the player is a vested veteran or not but it's effectively the same thing for the team getting rid of the player.

For the player, it's a very different thing. If you're a vested veteran and you're cut, you're free to sign with whoever you want. If you're not a vested veteran and you're cut, teams can place a claim on you. The teams get priority based on their previous year's record. So a player gets cut and a 2-14 team and a 14-2 team places a claim on him, the 2-14 team gets the player.

To add on to what TPN said - a cut player negotiates a new contract with any new team. A team taking a player off waivers is taking their old contract as well.

76Texan
08-14-2012, 05:43 PM

I have to disagree. I don't see this.
Butler played pretty solid.
Also, Caldwell played the whole first half and did well.

Overall, the first and second strings did well.

I hope they continue to hold up.

Texn4life
08-14-2012, 05:52 PM
I have to disagree. I don't see this.
Butler played pretty solid.
Also, Caldwell played the whole first half and did well.

Overall, the first and second strings did well.

I hope they continue to hold up.

I initially thought Butler was not good, but there were only 2 plays that he wasn't good on and it had all to do with technique on those plays. Very correctable things for someone who played live football for the first time in almost 2 years.

Corrosion
08-14-2012, 07:25 PM

On Schaub's INT ..... It was Brown who got beat and allowed Schaub to get hit.

Texn4life
08-14-2012, 07:34 PM

I saw something different on that play. Generally on blitz pickup, which there was the players are taught to pickup the biggest or closest threat and so Brown took the inside man. It looked to just be a failure on Schaub for not recognizing the blitz, Foster who was in the backfield, or the line as a whole for not sliding protection. But if Brown picks up the outside man on that play then the player he was blocking would have gotten the sack.

SteveSlaton20
08-14-2012, 09:28 PM

On that play, Brown was blocking his guy but he didn't see the CB blitz and the CB hit Schaub, but Derek Newton got destroyed by the linemen he was blocking and he hit Schaub as well.

ChampionTexan
08-14-2012, 09:29 PM
I saw something different on that play. Generally on blitz pickup, which there was the players are taught to pickup the biggest or closest threat and so Brown took the inside man. It looked to just be a failure on Schaub for not recognizing the blitz, Foster who was in the backfield, or the line as a whole for not sliding protection. But if Brown picks up the outside man on that play then the player he was blocking would have gotten the sack.

That's exactly right. Brown was engaged with their RDE, and when Schaub was sandwiched by the Panthers blitzing CB and LDE, there was definitely daylight between the man Brown picked up and Schaub.

Their LDE beat Newton, and their blitzing CB ended up coming outside of Brown and was untouched.

Kaiser Toro
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
No one likes interceptions, but one preseason play does not make an evaluation. Focus on the OL, don't watch the ball, there were plenty of coachable moments and much to be intrigued by.

This week's game will be a test for the OL.

GP
08-14-2012, 10:07 PM
No one likes interceptions, but one preseason play does not make an evaluation. Focus on the OL, don't watch the ball, there were plenty of coachable moments and much to be intrigued by.

EDIT: Wow, you had already visited it before I had posted this! LOL.

Check out my screenshot breakdown (it's brief, not typical GP novel length!) in a thread I started.

Butler's blown cut/low block on 3rd and goal on our first drive cost us a TD to Owen Daniels. Not sure if he should have risked that type of block, but he went for it...failed miserably...and it cost us 6 points.

Everyone did their job on that play, except Butler.

Kaiser Toro
08-14-2012, 10:10 PM
EDIT: Wow, you had already visited it before I had posted this! LOL.

Check out my screenshot breakdown (it's brief, not typical GP novel length!) in a thread I started.

Butler's blown cut/low block on 3rd and goal on our first drive cost us a TD to Owen Daniels. Not sure if he should have risked that type of block, but he went for it...failed miserably...and it cost us 6 points.

Everyone did their job on that play, except Butler.

Already saw it, and repped it.

GP
08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm going to draw up another 3-shot sequence that shows the previous play...a 2nd and goal from the Panthers 2-yard-line.

b0ng
08-14-2012, 10:41 PM

Do you remember last year when we played the 9'ers in preseason? I came away from that game thinking they were in contention to get Andrew Luck.

76Texan
08-15-2012, 01:19 PM
A guy that played pretty solid was 97 Mitch King.
He lined up at 43 DT, 34 DE, and NT (as a replacement for Cody).

He's still a long shot to make the team, but we should keep an eye on him.

76Texan
08-15-2012, 01:21 PM
And, BTW, the MO barely made any play for us (mostly Alexander.)
It was pretty much all the MIKE that was in on the action.

badboy
08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
A guy that played pretty solid was 97 Mitch King.
He lined up at 43 DT, 34 DE, and NT (as a replacement for Cody).

He's still a long shot to make the team, but we should keep an eye on him.Thanks. I was trying to find out who it was. I saw 97 and could not get a name. Here is an 2009 article on his being signed by Titans:

Good athlete... Great timed speed... Was very productive... Relentless with a non-stop motor... Does a nice job of getting off blocks... Is versatile... Good strength... Extremely aggressive... Plays with a nasty demeanor... Intense and competitive... Has a lot of experience against top competitionů A hard worker and team leader with elite intangibles.

Lots more here: http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/sports/only-titans-can-decide-if-king-lives-tennessee

76Texan
08-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I've been studying Keenum's play and I must say he did everything I can ask for a rookie in his first game.

First off, let's go to the incompletion.
Some people think it was nerve and that he thre behind the receiver.
I'm not sure of that.

Watch this demonstration by Hine Ward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQdluYWJuek

Notice how Ward came straight back (on the same line) while Posier squared off his route as if he was running a square in.

Slow the video down, and you can see that Keenum threw the ball just as Posier put on the break.
It was a timing route, for sure.

And while the route can be run at a 45 degree angle (coming back) - Posier didn'd do that either.

But certainly, one can see that Keenum threw the ball to the spot where a receiver that runs a straight come back can find the ball; ie, a yard or two outside the numbers (on the line of the route).

At worse case scenario, if Posier had run the route at a 45 degree angle, he would still have a shot at catching the ball.

76Texan
08-18-2012, 05:13 PM
The screen pass, GP had romanticized it enough, I don't need to go into detail.

At the gut of it, Keenum made a half-pump to a receiver in the middle right, just enough to freeze the LB to give Grimes the open space.

The bootleg was made possible by an excellent faked hand-off in play action.

Notice that the SAM (lining on the LOS) was completely fooled; he went after the RB (pursuing in the backfield) without a single look at the QB.

This helped misguiding the second-level defenders and gave the crosser (Iglesias) plenty of room in the middle.

76Texan
08-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Keenum's footwork out of the snap is very good, especially for a guy who had not play much under center.

He know (or if you prefer, can feel) where the pressure comes from and acts on it accordingly.
He stepped up when he should; he pulled it back when he should; he protected the ball when he knew he needed to just take the loss.

He understands clock management and knows where he is on the field:
The slide inbound at the 34 yd line, keeping the clock running, while retaining FG position.

(Note - On this play, Meggett ran too far away for Keenum to attempt a faked hand-off; the unblocked DE simply chased after Keenum.)

badboy
08-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Every word out of Gary's mouth about Case has been positive. I hope Keenum has a good game tonight.