PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Watch, week 1: RGIII, Manning, and Mario

GP
08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
I signed up for the $20 nfl.com Preseason Game package, so I'll be watching the following teams this week: Redskins (RGIII), Broncos (Manning), and Bills (Mario) to see how those three players handle their first outing of 2012.

I will post comments here, sort of like a review of each of those three players.

I might also post some random thoughts on other guys, such as Brandon Weeden (Cleveland QB) among others who are noteworthy.

If anybody wants to sign up, please PM me. I get a reward for any person who signs up via a link I send them (it's a referral system by NFL.com).

GP
08-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Got one poster here who PM'd me and signed up.

It's only $20, so that's essentially $5-per-week so that you can catch those players on other teams you are wanting to see in live action. A great way to start scouting for your FANTASY FOOTBALL DRAFT!

Texecutioner
08-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Got one poster here who PM'd me and signed up.

It's only $20, so that's essentially $5-per-week so that you can catch those players on other teams you are wanting to see in live action. A great way to start scouting for your FANTASY FOOTBALL DRAFT!

I don't really see the point of this GP. Every season I watch all of the pre season games on NFL.com for free. I don't watch them live, but I get to watch the play backs, and it works great for FF, because I just fast forward back and forth between plays so I can see who I want to watch for FF purposes. I'm assuming that you are wanting to watch this stuff live and that's why you're paying.

GP
08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Redskins at Bills:

Redskins get the ball.

1st Down: Run away from Mario at LDE, the LT got there first and Mario adds to the tackle. Minimal gain.

2nd down: Mario ran way past the RB who knifed past Mario.

Shotgun. RGII comfy, no real pressure, a deep out to the sideline was almost in bounds, but the receiver couldn't drag a second foot down. Would have been a first down. Ball placed exactly where it should be.

Punt to the Bills.

------

Bills punt

-----

1st down, run to the right. No room to run. Bills stuffing the run early.

2d down: Quick drop step by RGIII, quick out is complete and WR makes people miss. 9 yard gain.

3rd and 1: Power I, run up the middle, fumble, wouldn't have been a first down anyways.

Bills will take over at about the 20.

Field goal is good.

Score is 3-0 Bills so far.

-----

Redskins get the ball.

1st down: PA pass, pressure is in RGIII's face, he dips down throws the ball to the RB (nice looking forward pass, not a fluke flip pass) and the RB drops it as he (the RB) is also met by a Bills defender. Incomplete, but the ball was there.

2nd down and 10: Shotgun, RGIII looks off the secondary nicely and then zips it to Garcon for a about a 15 yd gain. Niiiice.

1st and 10 at 40: Skins run to their right side, at Mario, and Mario runs wayyyy around the end and outruns the run play (again) and a gain of 3 for the Skins to Mario's side. So far, Mario is either rat at the play or has outran it. Skins blockers are shoving Mario to the outside and then the RB is breaking it back to the inside to avoid Mario. (Executed over and over again in later plays of this series)

2nd and 7: PA pass and RGIII and Garcon, again, make an easy hookup over the middle. RGIII looks freaking awesome so far. Great footwork, looks confident, looking off the defense, making the throws. No bad throws yet.

1st and 10 at Bills 40: Huge run to the right side, about a 14 yard pickup as Mario is double teamed and moved wayyyy out of the way. They are running AT Mario, they are shoving him to the sideline and the RB is breaking it back inside when Mario is cleared to the outside.

1st and 10, another run AT Mario. Running back gains FOUR yards.

2nd at Bills' 23: Mario out of the play, again, but the RB is tracked down by the tackle. No gain.

3rd and 3 at about the Bills' 23: RGIII calls timeout as play clock runs down.

Play resumes after the timeout...RGIII throws a quick screen to Garcon to the side of the field opposite of Mario. Garcon gets an easy TD off the quick screen from about 20 yards out. Does a big flip into the air as he crosses the goal line.

7-3 Redskins.

--------

Bills have the ball. Drive stalls just before midfield, Bills punt and it's downed at about the 4 yard line.

RGIII is done for the night. Grossman takes the ball as QB now.

RGIII finishes the night at 4-of-6 for 70 yds and a TD. The only incompletions were the deep out that the WR failed to drag a second foot down (and he could have done it, too)...and the little shovel-type pass to the RB when RGIII was under pressure off a play action pass that the Bills sniffed out.

---------

ODD NOTE:

The ball was easily downed by the Bills at the Redskins' 4-yard line. The refs ruled that the ball or player was touching the goal line. LOL. The replacement refs royally blew the call, by a whole four yards.

Chan Gailey runs onto the field and gets the ref to review the call. Call is reversed and Skins have the ball at their own 4 like it should have been.

GP
08-09-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't really see the point of this GP. Every season I watch all of the pre season games on NFL.com for free. I don't watch them live, but I get to watch the play backs, and it works great for FF, because I just fast forward back and forth between plays so I can see who I want to watch for FF purposes. I'm assuming that you are wanting to watch this stuff live and that's why you're paying.

Watching it live. Beats watching sand volleyball with my wife.

I am done with Olympics. FOOTBALL has arrived. I'm watching live. It feels exhilarating!

And I'm about to watch The Forehead "live" in about 45 minutes. I want to see how he looks in Denver in his first action since 2010.

Fair enough, people can watch playbacks...next week. I want to watch a few games live because I'm bored. It's cheap entertainment ($5 per week for four weeks). That's a movie rental per week, and I don't watch movies much.

DexmanC
08-09-2012, 06:55 PM
I'll be watching the action free with my firstrow seat, and catching
replays on the tenyard line. Football season is back, and it's
economical.

dc_txtech
08-09-2012, 07:12 PM
NFL Network is showing highlights and live action from a bunch of different games. Good enough for me.

GP
08-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Geez, you Negative Nancies...

dc_txtech
08-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Geez, you Negative Nancies...

Not talking down, I appreciate the heads up. If I didn't have NFLN I would probably order what you got.

GP
08-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Well, I guess you guys can head over and talk about Forsett and Keyshawn Martin and Plaxico Burress. I mean, there's plenty of fresh conversation over there.

I was trying to, ya know, start a new thread and maybe discuss RGIII and Mario...in real time...to have something new to talk about. To talk about, ya know, real football as it's really happening.

For some guy who might be at work and is bored right now, maybe checking this thread and seeing a play by play breakdown and some analysis of RGIII and Mario (and later on, Manning) might be a welcome relief.

But hey, feel free to be Captain Obvious about how we can see highlights on NFLN. I have NFLN too, but I can flip between all the games and watch all of the games and pick and choose sort of like Sunday Ticket (and do it all in real time tonight, tomorrow night, and Saturday night). I can even put four games onto the screen at once. It's cheap fun: $5-per-week.

Was just trying to liven up the place a bit tonight. Football is back, I was excited and thought others would be too.

GP
08-09-2012, 07:42 PM
OK, now it's time for Bears/Broncos:

Bears players to look for: #17 Alshon Jeffrey the rookie WR and fellow rookie #99 DE Shea McClellin (whom was selected by the Bears, which meant Mercilus dropped to us).

TV commentator says people are calling Alshon Jeffrey a mini-Brandon Marshall for the work and output that Alshon's had thus far in camp. I'll scout him a little and tell you what I see of him tonight when the Bears are on offense.

Broncos players to look for: Peyton Manning QB.

----------

Ummm, OK....one of the two Bears' commentators is Jim Miller and he looks like he's pushing almost 300 lbs. Wasn't this guy a QB not too long ago??? Yikes. He looks and sounds like Tony Soprano from the hit HBO series....

----------

I'm going to post this game in sequences rather than one big post like I did with the Skins-Bills game. Keep anybody who might be following in real time a bit more updated as the game goes on in real time.

dc_txtech
08-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Well, I guess you guys can head over and talk about Forsett and Keyshawn Martin and Plaxico Burress. I mean, there's plenty of fresh conversation over there.

I was trying to, ya know, start a new thread and maybe discuss RGIII and Mario...in real time...to have something new to talk about. To talk about, ya know, real football as it's really happening.

For some guy who might be at work and is bored right now, maybe checking this thread and seeing a play by play breakdown and some analysis of RGIII and Mario (and later on, Manning) might be a welcome relief.

But hey, feel free to be Captain Obvious about how we can see highlights on NFLN. I have NFLN too, but I can flip between all the games and watch all of the games and pick and choose sort of like Sunday Ticket (and do it all in real time tonight, tomorrow night, and Saturday night). I can even put four games onto the screen at once. It's cheap fun: $5-per-week.

Was just trying to liven up the place a bit tonight. Football is back, I was excited and thought others would be too.

Lol sorry GP, didn't mean to hurt your feelers. My wife is already pissed at me and I'm not taking on another pointless argument.

b0ng
08-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Melvin Ingram looks like a stud for the Chargers. Desmond Bishop for the Pack went down with a knee injury. Packers look like they have no defense again.

G27RR
08-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the update on RGIII. I was hoping he'd do well. Sounds a lot like he looked last year, hope he keeps it up.

GP
08-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Broncos with the ball first.

1st and 10 at Broncos 38: Shotgun, three wide…TE Tamme can't catch a quick slant, incomplete. Lance Briggs the LB breaks it up.

2nd and 10: Two wide, one RB, McGahee gets 11 on a run play.

1st and 10 at midfield: Four wide, one RB, pass is bobbled in the air and could have been picked off but Tamme catches it and gets another Broncos first down.

1st and 10 : McGahee a run for about 3 yards.

Damn, looking like the GREAT version of Manning's Colts out there. Damnit.

2nd and 7: Manning with tons of time. Throws to Decker and it's damn first down for about 15 yards.

Folks, I don't know what to say…he looks great out there. He really does.

1st and 10: McGahee with a no-gain run.

2nd and 10: Shotgun, three wide and 1 RB, another pass another first down for Manning…but the refs call a holding on RT Clady and it's now 2nd and 20 form the Bears' 36.

But still, Manning is on the money.

2nd and 20: Shotgun again, dump pass to the RB Lance Ball since the four WRs were covered nicely. Gain of 3.

3rd and 17: Shotgun, and three wide and 1 RB. Lot of time for Manning, and he throws a precise pass to Decker for a FIRST DOWN by about two yards past the marker. The pace of the offense is fast, in and out of the huddle. It's Colts version 2.0

1st and 10 from Bears' 14. McGahee minimal gain of about 2 yards.

2nd and 8: Three wide, 1 RB. Manning under Center. Short drop. floated one nicely to the back corner of end zone and a wiser WR would have caught that pass for a TD.

3rd and 8: Shotgun, three wide, 1 RB, Stokley bobbled a perfectly thrown pass by manning and it was about to be a TD at the goal line but the Bears snag it off the Stokley bobble and takeover possession with the end zone at their backs.

Son of a ______. Manning is Manning. Period. :(

GP
08-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Lol sorry GP, didn't mean to hurt your feelers. My wife is already pissed at me and I'm not taking on another pointless argument.

Well. If you need someone to yell at you, let me know. I have two daughters that I am out of sorts with right now, being negative nannies about stuff, so it's easy for me to pick on you right now. It's coming so naturally to me ;)

Playoffs
08-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Broncos offense looks just like Colts of old w/better RB. Just need to clean up some stuff. I might have detected a stiff-necked-ness from Manning ... we'll see.

No Cutler, Manning out, game over for me.

GP
08-09-2012, 08:04 PM
8:35 left in 1st quarter.

Bears run on 1st down, no big gain there by Bush.

2nd down: Completion to Brandon Marshall, but Broncos rough the passer so the Bears have some breathing room now.

1st and 10 at Bears' own 24 yard line: JASON CAMPBELL in, rolls out and tucks it when there's nobody open. Gain of about 2. I guess Cutler was a bit woozy and went to the sideline after being roughed up on the previous play. Or Bears keeping Cutler safe for rest of night.

1st and 5 after a late offsides call by refs: Campbell still in as QB. Incomplete after Campbell is hurried and has to throw it too early.

2nd and 5: Michael Bush weaves and bobs to the left, but cannot escape the Broncos defense. No gain.

3rd and 4: Bush DROPS the sweep play toss, Broncos grab it off the bounce and run it down to about the 5. Ouch.

------------

Broncos at the 6

1st and goal: Former Bears' QB Hanie under center, three wide and 1 RB, and the Bears stuff the run play for a loss of about FOUR yards.

2nd and goal from Bears' 10: Shotgun by Hanie. Incomplete pass.

3rd and goal from the Bears' 10: Bears fans BOOING Hanie loudly, corner route to back of end zone is off the mark. The Bears' commentator says that the Broncos' QB, Hanie, is being booed because he started four games last year for the Bears and couldn't win any of those four games. Bears fans booed him just now, all three plays he was in there for the Broncos actually. LOL. Bears fans. Wow.

Well, Manning had one series. I don't think Cutler will be back in. he has his ball cap on his head, backwards like a douche as always, and spitting seeds with that pouty face and saggy eyes in full effect. Someone get a blood test on him, he looks pale and clammy.

GP
08-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Broncos offense looks just like Colts of old w/better RB. Just need to clean up some stuff. I might have detected a stiff-necked-ness from Manning ... we'll see.

No Cutler, Manning out, game over for me.

You know, I'm going to rewind the one series by Manning and see what The Forehead really looked like when throwing the ball. I was concentrating on typing out the play as it happened and the result of the play...so I need to see Manning and Manning only when I re-watch it.

Gonna' do that in a bit. Alshon Jeffrey is in at WR for the Bears, so I'm going to watch for him for awhile.

GP
08-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Bears run game is woeful tonight. Ugggly.

On 3rd and long, Campbell locks onto Alshon Jeffrey, with Jeffrey shrugging off the CB at the snap and moving well downfield but Campbell is pumping the ball and trying to buy time for the deep pass to Alshon...but Campbell cannot pull the trigger in time and gets swallowed up at the line of scrimmage. Punt to the Broncos.

Let's see if we can watch Bears rookie DE Shea Mclellin or if he's done for the night.

EDIT: McLellin is out for the rest of the night. I think I'm done with play-by-play with this game.

b0ng
08-09-2012, 08:16 PM
First play for Vince Young in Buffalo: 10 yard sack. Nice one.

Playoffs
08-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I don't think Cutler will be back in. he has his ball cap on his head, backwards like a douche as always, and spitting seeds with that pouty face and saggy eyes in full effect. Someone get a blood test on him, he looks pale and clammy.Cutler didn't play, held out by coach. Baby boy born Wednesday.

Hookem Horns
08-09-2012, 08:38 PM
VY just can't be consistent or trusted. He looks horrible for 2 plays and really good on the third one. He threw one ball right to a LB who dropped it with no Bills receivers in the area ... then turns around and breaks off a 30 yard run.

Brandon420tx
08-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Hanie is actually looking pretty good to me

TexanSam
08-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Can you post any updates on the replacement refs if you see any glaring errors? If they don't have a new labor agreement in place with them by the start of the regular season I'm going to be very nervous.

Playoffs
08-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Can you post any updates on the replacement refs if you see any glaring errors? If they don't have a new labor agreement in place with them by the start of the regular season I'm going to be very nervous.

Saw a couple of bad offensive holding calls, imo, in the short time I watched the ones.

Rey
08-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm watching the Chargers and Pack....

Looks like a regular game to me...I just started watching at halftime, but I forgot that there were even replacement refs until I read your post...

eriadoc
08-09-2012, 10:13 PM

I watched the first quarter and a half of the Packers game, and the replacement refs made one really bad call. They called unsportsmanlike conduct (taunting) on the rookie pass rusher the Pack has, and the guy did far, FAR less than any player does when they get a sack. They would have called a 45 yard penalty on Antonio Smith's ninja move. One bad call is no big deal, but the type of penalty was sort of troubling.

GP
08-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Broncos with the ball first.

1st and 10 at Broncos 38: Shotgun, three wide…TE Tamme can't catch a quick slant, incomplete. Lance Briggs the LB breaks it up.

Did not detect stiff neck. Nice looking pass from start to finish.

2nd and 10: Two wide, one RB, McGahee gets 11 on a run play.

1st and 10 at midfield: Four wide, one RB, pass is bobbled in the air and could have been picked off but Tamme catches it and gets another Broncos first down.

Again, the throwing motion looks good. The ball is in a good spiral. Manning looks fine throwing that pass there. Did not detect anything here, either.

1st and 10 : McGahee a run for about 3 yards.

Damn, looking like the GREAT version of Manning's Colts out there. Damnit.

2nd and 7: Manning with tons of time. Throws to Decker and it's damn first down for about 15 yards.

On second look, this pass was wobbly and had no zip on it. A better CB could have broken on this play and picked it off. It really fluttered. So speed on his passes might be real issue, because that pass was not a typical Manning throw in my book. Very shaky. In the air a loooong time.

Folks, I don't know what to say…he looks great out there. He really does.

1st and 10: McGahee with a no-gain run.

2nd and 10: Shotgun, three wide and 1 RB, another pass another first down for Manning…but the refs call a holding on RT Clady and it's now 2nd and 20 form the Bears' 36.

Another deep out-type of pass, this time to Demarius Thomas...and just like before, this same style of route proves a challenge to Manning. Throwing across his body and to the sideline the ball comes out high, wobbly and stays in the air a long long time. The zip on those across-the-body passes is noticeably missing. Texans need to be watching this, if we could have a nickel back roaming that short area and keep Kareem deeper on that route, the nickel back would eat that for lunch all day long.

But still, Manning is on the money. EDIT: Yes, it was on the money, but the ball was really high, fluttery and it was more of the CB giving too much space on the WR in that instance (as it was on the similar route ran earlier that manning floated to the WR).

2nd and 20: Shotgun again, dump pass to the RB Lance Ball since the four WRs were covered nicely. Gain of 3.

Looking at this play again, Manning was never going to go to any of the trips to the right or the lone WR to his left--He was releasing the ball very early and never gave a chance to anybody down the field, he was clearing out space and the Bears were playing a deep zone to keep everything in front of them. To me, the pass play was designed to go to the RB the whole way (and we know Manning is calling those plays out there). To me, and this is just me, but Manning was in no mood to try a third deep pass right there. His goal was to try and shorten up the distance for 3rd down.

3rd and 17: Shotgun, and three wide and 1 RB. Lot of time for Manning, and he throws a precise pass to Decker for a FIRST DOWN by about two yards past the marker. The pace of the offense is fast, in and out of the huddle. It's Colts version 2.0

OK, re-watching this play again...I have to dial back my comment about it being Colts version 2.0. Yes, the pass was completed, but wait...there is some stuff going on here that has to be discussed.

First, Broncos have Manning in the shotgun with two WRs split out right--Bears have a CB on the WR at the top of the screen and the nickel back covering the second WR who is closer to the LOS on that same side. At the end of the o-line to Manning's left is a TE lined up (standing up) just beside the Broncos' LT. No secret that they've got a TE there...yet #55 Briggs is a good 6 yards back alongside the other LB they've got out there. At the bottom of the screen is a lone WR being covered by the Bears' CB2, that lone WR is Decker who ends up catching the long pass by Manning in just a second.

At the snap the TE drives up the field HARD on a route straight up the seam, pushing Briggs backward a few backpedal steps...instead of handing off the TE to his fellow LB, who was also backpedaling to create time enough to find a guy to cover, Briggs pauses and notices that there's a RB flashing out from the backfield and so Briggs breaks off the TE to go cover the more shallow RB...but he slips in the process, and the other LB is late to the show (so the other LB is now chasing the TE, which is creating more space for the WR Decker to operate in)...at that same moment, the CB2 jams Decker in the process (trying to hand him off to Briggs who was there but had slipped to the ground due to the RB flashing closer to the LOS..and now Decker, is wide open in the middle on a deep slant and where there's now a hole where Briggs has fallen down. It was like Keystone Cops out there for the Bears. Briggs, IMO, cost the Bears there with his indecisiveness on who to cover--The TE or the WR or the RB. A damned if you do, damned if you don't situation sort of.

I don't foresee a situation where Wade Phillips and Vance Joseph would have our guys in the LB and Secondary units to be that incompetent against Peyton Manning in a 3rd and 17 situation. Yes, if Kareem ends up trying to play too shallow...then the WR could, in theory, change his route to a stop-and-go and cause Kareem to trip up and get beaten over the top. But still, with Danieal Manning and the other Safety out there, I think we'd have been better situated to shut that play down. IMO.

1st and 10 from Bears' 14. McGahee minimal gain of about 2 yards.

2nd and 8: Three wide, 1 RB. Manning under Center. Short drop. floated one nicely to the back corner of end zone and a wiser WR would have caught that pass for a TD.

Well, this play was designed to be a high pass to the back corner of the end zone. After re-watching this pass play, I don't see any fault with it. By design, it's not a bullet to the WR that has to beat a defender on a straight line...it's a typical fade route to the corner. I think a better WR, a guy like Reggie Wayne, would have come down with that pass because it was definitely a good pass and located properly.

3rd and 8: Shotgun, three wide, 1 RB, Stokley bobbled a perfectly thrown pass by manning and it was about to be a TD at the goal line but the Bears snag it off the Stokley bobble and takeover possession with the end zone at their backs.

This was a play with trips to Manning's right. Stokley runs five yards up field, shoves the DB at the 5-yard mark, and breaks off into a slant across the middle. Manning doesn't really rifle the ball in there (IMO) but it has nice pace and has touch on it...maybe too much touch for that situation. Because a Bears defender gets a hand in there at the last split second and cause the ball to bound into the air where it is picked off by Major Wright of the Bears.

I dunno, guys and gals. All in all, Manning had some steam on the early passes but he looked to be a little wobbly on the deeper stuff, across his body, later in that series. Is it early rust that he has to shake off? Is it from the neck fusion? Is it a lack of chemistry with his WRs that he's trying to build up right now?

Son of a ______. Manning is Manning. Period. :(

EDIT: Having re-watched the pass plays, I will say this: His accuracy is there. His command of the offense (HIS offense) is there. But I think there's something to the idea that he's not that same fireball he is known to be for so long in Indy. If this pattern continues, defenses like Houston's will have enough film to know what routes and what areas of the field he struggles with. Patterns, man, I'm saying there might be some patterns developing.

My re-evaluation comments are in red, above.

I am no professional at watching film. I am only saying what I saw, and I tried to be as objective as I could be. I do think that the LB #55 (Briggs) sort of got confused and paused long enough for a guy like Manning and a guy like Decker to take advantage of that split second of Briggs' indecision, though.

Manning is still Manning, but then again the neck thang might be a valid reason why the Texans backed off of any serious pursuit of him.

GP
08-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Cutler didn't play, held out by coach. Baby boy born Wednesday.

OK, so as I was typing up the down and distance in my text document on my laptop I am now thinking that I failed to realize Campbell was the QB from the get-go. Oops!

Thank you for catching that.

And I think Bears' rookie DE Shea McLellin was not a starter either, though the pre game snapshots of him and Alshon Jeffrey made it seem they both were going to be starting the game.

GP
08-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Everything up the middle, as well as the short stuff within 10 yards of the LOS, was good by The Forehead.

When he tried to throw across his body AND deeper down the field, you can see the ball floats a bit and stays in the air way too long.

In other words: He will eat ya' up with the short stuff and anything straight down the pipe...the sideline stuff and deeper passes??? Not so much. Those are going to be his undoing. Unless he's just rusty on those, but I think it IS the neck fusion and the lack of his head being able to swivel with the rest of his upper body on those sideline throws. Just my two cents!

Playoffs
08-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Here we go: Chargers RB Ryan Matthews broke his collarbone, will need surgery and will be out 4-6 weeks.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
RT @MarkKaboly_Trib: Steelers LT Mike Adams allowed 2.5 sacks within a span of 9 plays in the first quarter

RGIII as advertised, Nick Foles looked pretty good, Julio Jones catch of the night.

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I thought RGIII looked great.

I thought Manning looked rusty. He did a good job in terms of moving the ball down the field but he threw several balls that could have been picked on that drive, and that's not Manning-like. He didn't seem to have good chemistry with his receivers.

I can't believe Ryan Mathews broke his collar-bone. Wow. Back in the day, I wanted us to draft that guy really, really badly.

Double Barrel
08-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I think Manning will get the Broncos to the playoffs, especially in that division. He looked rusty, but once he shakes it, I think his mind is as sharp as ever in reading defenses and instinctively knowing where to throw. Obviously, the big question mark with Manning will be his durability. But I have absolutely no doubt that his mental abilities will get that team to win if his body can hold up. While I don't root for the guy, it's good for football to have Manning back on the field, and I do appreciate the entertainment that offers to us as fans.

RGIII is going to be a beast in the NFL, IMO.

infantrycak
08-10-2012, 11:12 AM
I think Manning will get the Broncos to the playoffs, especially in that division. He looked rusty, but once he shakes it, I think his mind is as sharp as ever in reading defenses and instinctively knowing where to throw. Obviously, the big question mark with Manning will be his durability. But I have absolutely no doubt that his mental abilities will get that team to win if his body can hold up. While I don't root for the guy, it's good for football to have Manning back on the field, and I do appreciate the entertainment that offers to us as fans.

No doubt he has one of the great football minds and I expect to see him as a coach at some point. I am wondering if there is going to be a transition period where his mind sees opportunities his body could have taken advantage of previously but can't anymore. We will have to also see how willing he is to let plays develop. He has always been contact shy. Is he going to be even quicker to go fetal?

GP
08-10-2012, 04:22 PM
I won't be doing any "live" play-by-play tonight.

The wife and kids want to go to the amusement park (free tickets).

I've had a day from hell today. Everything that happened today was bad, it has just become comical to me. I'm in that stage where I giggle like a crazy man when something bad happens....I've come to expect it.

I think a flask of whiskey in my pocket might cure my nerves this evening. Because my "give-a-$hitter" is broken right now.

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I've had a day from hell today. Everything that happened today was bad, it has just become comical to me. I'm in that stage where I giggle like a crazy man when something bad happens....I've come to expect it.

I hear ya. I think the calendar makers messed up. This was a Friday the 13th for sure.

paycheck71
08-10-2012, 06:55 PM
So, we are 5 min into the jets v bengals game, and the bengals have already lost 3 starters to injury. All three looked like they could be significant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Cerberus
08-10-2012, 10:02 PM
It looked to me like Mannng still has the brains, but he has lost the zip on his passes. So, I think he'll end up being like Montana when he went to the Chiefs, a very good QB but not the great QB he used to be. Still think the AFCW will be up for grabs with Manning, Palmer and Rivers, playing QB in that division.

Playoffs
08-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Browns had 14 different people catch a pass, Bucs had 15 ... gotta be close to a record.

mattieuk
08-10-2012, 10:18 PM
It looked to me like Mannng still has the brains, but he has lost the zip on his passes. So, I think he'll end up being like Montana when he went to the Chiefs, a very good QB but not the great QB he used to be. Still think the AFCW will be up for grabs with Manning, Palmer and Rivers, playing QB in that division.

I'm with you there. There was nothing especially alarming about his throws, however they did seem to lack that automatic completion style that we've become so accustomed to seeing from Peyton. The throw across the field to the left sideline struck me as a particularly ugly looking conversion.

That said, it is early in the grand scheme of things - however if I were a Denver fan I'd rather see a little more catchup work from the other offensive players to get in tune with Mannings audibles, over seeing Peyton not really zipping the balls out there.

Norg
08-11-2012, 12:30 AM
mario came in did nothing and was on the sideline while his peers Anderson and darious we still on the field

he prob pulled a biceip or something

Playoffs
08-11-2012, 08:19 AM
It sucks to be Cardinal fan...

Skelton’s 39.2 passer rating seems Brees-like compared to Kolb’s 0.0.