PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico OK with veteran Minimum???

ArlingtonTexan
08-09-2012, 10:49 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/09/report-plax-willing-to-take-veteran-minimum/

JB
08-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Interesting. Is there a reason that the Texans wouldn't bring him in to compete with B. Johnson and the youngsters? Can't really hurt can it?

hobie
08-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I have been saying for the last 2 months to go look at this guy...heck, at league minimum for a vet, throw in some language in the contract to protect yourself, line him up across from AJ and have fun in the red zone !! He doesn't need to have blazing speed, just hands to catch the jump balls !!

Double Barrel
08-09-2012, 11:39 AM
He really wanted to play for the Texans last year. I don't see how it would hurt to bring him in for evaluation, but obvious the Texans FO sees it different than us.

Section516
08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
I thought the reason he was unsigned was due to wanting too much $$$$. If he wants vet min, hasn't had a training injury..Why haven't we at least tried him out? Even if all he did was inside the 20's.

infantrycak
08-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I think the agent is putting out a shopping ad and doubt he is actually willing to sign for vet minimum.

If he would actually sign for minimum his cap hit would be half of that. Something is up or teams would be pulling him in for a $500k cap hit.

False Start
08-09-2012, 12:10 PM
It wont happen here, so just carry on.

Dutchrudder
08-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Well, he's better than Bryant Johnson. Bring him in!

badboy
08-09-2012, 12:32 PM
I think the agent is putting out a shopping ad and doubt he is actually willing to sign for vet minimum.

If he would actually sign for minimum his cap hit would be half of that. Something is up or teams would be pulling him in for a $500k cap hit.
This. There is a "submarine" below the water somewhere.

drs23
08-09-2012, 03:18 PM
One of the guys on NFL.com suggested that teams were possibly waiting until after the first week of the season to get out of having to guarantee a full season salary. Just food for thought.

GP
08-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I've always maintained that Plax and his agent are not going to play for vet minimum...or he would already be on a team right now. Common sense says so.

They are going to wait until teams are near the reg season, or just a week into the reg season, and those teams will NEED a wide receiver so badly that the agent and Plax can get more than league minimum. Common sense says so.

Rick Smith cut Winston, traded DeMeco, and let Mario walk. I think they know what's up when it comes to players and agents and how that all interacts with what they (the Texans) intend to do.

In short: Kubiak is moving on with what he's got, and Plaxico missed his gravy train ride with the Texans...that ship sailed after the Ahman Green era ended here. If a person wants to be here, they don't just do a radio interview (Plax) or a TV piece (Cowher) and expect to be welcomed to Reliant with a full band and ticker tape parade. Those days are over. Gary and Wade got this.

Would l-o-v-e to Plax in the red zone or on crucial 3rd downs (excellent possession-type receiver when you need those 4 yards or so on 3rd downs). But IMO, he and his agent are going to try and pull teams into a bidding war or just price themselves out of reach of a lot of teams.

Plus, think about it: Plax is smart. His agent is smart. Plax will have been able to skip the hot, sweaty days of training camp and just sail right into a roster when reg season hits. Why not? I would.

texanhead08
08-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Plax is good on 3rd downs and the red zone, but he has a rep of being a useless WR the rest of the time.

Ryan
08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Plax is good on 3rd downs and the red zone, but he has a rep of being a useless WR the rest of the time.

Not bad things to excel at.

Vinny
08-11-2012, 03:18 PM
....so his only value is keeping drives alive and scoring? get that bum outtahere!

Playoffs
08-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm guessing half of the league's teams have worse receivers than we do, yet all of those GMs aren't smart enough to sign Burris. Perhaps there's a reason.

texanhead08
08-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm guessing half of the league's teams have worse receivers than we do, yet all of those GMs aren't smart enough to sign Burris. Perhaps there's a reason.

That was my point. The guy dogs it the rest of the time. He has a reputation of being late to meetings, being selfish, and general crap like this and he wonders why no one will sign him. He is also past 35 and WR don't usually excel at that age. It should tell you something that the Jets would rather have Santonio Holmes who they benched last year for being a dick and had no interest in resigning Plax.

Wolf
08-12-2012, 05:07 PM
I saw somewhere that the pats were looking at him

Fili
08-12-2012, 06:12 PM
He wanted to come to Texas so he can shoot himself with a bigger gun.

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I saw somewhere that the pats were looking at him

They brought him in for a workout but have declined to sign him.