PDA

View Full Version : Our first round pick Whitney Mercilus

El Tejano
08-09-2012, 08:17 AM
How's he doing in camp? Haven't heard much about him and I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

False Start
08-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Crazy, I was thinking the same thing last night. From what I've heard here and there on the radio its been pretty much good news. Thing is, I would expect to hear a lot more about a first round pick.

08-09-2012, 08:38 AM
I think it's because this year (unlike years past) our first round pick isn't starting right out the gate. There's far less pressure on him to succeed immediately, and as a byproduct, there's far less attention being paid to him in regards to the media.

Thorn
08-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Oh, he'll get his playing time in this season, you can count on that. Whether he starts or not, a 1st round pick had BETTER see some playing time. LOL

Texan_Touchdown
08-09-2012, 09:16 AM
yeah I've heard more about the offense this summer on the radio and ESPN ( the 30 second segment about Andre Johnson pulling a groin) and that's about it. And quite frankly I love it. I think the defense is quietly getting a lot better and Mercilus will have more energy throughout the game.

nero THE zero
08-09-2012, 09:53 AM
This training camp has been different all around, it seems to me. I don't know if I am following it less fervently, or if it's taken a different disposition. But, I'm viewing it as 'no news is good news,' and that the players are performing--as much as they can in such as situation--as well as they are expected to perform.

JB
08-09-2012, 09:59 AM
We'll have a much better idea in 2 more days :hurrah:

beerlover
08-09-2012, 10:17 AM
This training camp has been different all around, it seems to me. I don't know if I am following it less fervently, or if it's taken a different disposition. But, I'm viewing it as 'no news is good news,' and that the players are performing--as much as they can in such as situation--as well as they are expected to perform.

ditto for me as well, kinda nice to know good things are just around the corner after all the hard work this off season. I study the draft for months before April, posting such in draft forum but there is no way Whitney Mercilus should have still been on the board #26. He was top 20 easy prospect with potential to vault into the top 15. Chicago & Seattle are the teams who passed on Merciuls, drafting 15th & 19th respectively, thankfully for Texans their respective war rooms took less polished prospects in Bruce Irvin & Shea McClellin. Texans won't miss a beat after standing down & watching 100 million dollar DE extraordinaire Mario Williams jet to Buffalo. :mario3:

Thorn
08-09-2012, 10:22 AM
We'll have a much better idea in 2 more days :hurrah:

Damn I can't wait. LOL. There's so much I want to see this pre-season. I don't think we'll see Case Keenum the first game, but I really want to see him throw a few long ones down the field.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Damn I can't wait. LOL. There's so much I want to see this pre-season. I don't think we'll see Case Keenum the first game, but I really want to see him throw a few long ones down the field.

Really?

I expect Matt to take a series or two. Then TJ to finish out the first half. I expect Beck to get the 3rd quarter and Case the 4th.

steelbtexan
08-09-2012, 10:55 AM
ditto for me as well, kinda nice to know good things are just around the corner after all the hard work this off season. I study the draft for months before April, posting such in draft forum but there is no way Whitney Mercilus should have still been on the board #26. He was top 20 easy prospect with potential to vault into the top 15. Chicago & Seattle are the teams who passed on Merciuls, drafting 15th & 19th respectively, thankfully for Texans their respective war rooms took less polished prospects in Bruce Irvin & Shea McClellin. Texans won't miss a beat after standing down & watching 100 million dollar DE extraordinaire Mario Williams jet to Buffalo. :mario3:

No news is good news.

Merciluus and McClellin will be the best pass rushers in this draft. IMHO (Provided McClellin doesn't have concussions) It's goingto be interesting to see how their careers progress.

100 mil for MW = LOL

steelbtexan
08-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Really?

I expect Matt to take a series or two. Then TJ to finish out the first half. I expect Beck to get the 3rd quarter and Case the 4th.

Keenum will probably play the last 2 series of the game. Think Alex Brink and Gary was only carrying 3 QB's.

False Start
08-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Really?

Take it for what it's worth.
(https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/233583221705682944)

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

John Beck will be the #Texans' third quarterback Saturday against Carolina and Case Keenum will play next week against San Francisco

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2012, 02:14 PM
OTOH, Kubiak's quotes after today's practice:

(on the significance of the preseason games for QB Case Keenum) Its huge and I will play (John) Beck before him this week. I may reverse it next week, but I hope to play all four of them this week. But man, he has made a lot of progress. I guess Im giving him a hell of a compliment but Ive told you guys all along, football is important to him. He really works at it. I really like the way hes responded to his opportunity here in Houston. I think were all excited to see him play.

b0ng
08-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Dude is fast as hell rushing the passer.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Dude is fast as hell rushing the passer.

I can't wait to see what Wade does with him.

JB
08-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Take it for what it's worth.
(https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/233583221705682944)

Considering the source, I would expect him to get significant playing time this week

GP
08-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Case will have to be electric this preseason to get the #3 spot ahead of Beck, and Beck is going to have to tank it as well.

Keenum is getting some nice praise from Kubiak, but I always read Kubiak's quotes about players with a focus in trying to read between the lines. In the most recent praise Kubiak has for Case, it's not the same "gush level" as we see Kubiak/Keyshawn Martin praise comments.

Kubiak is being nice, is obviously genuine, but there's nothing in the Kubiak praise-for-Keenum quotes that makes me think Case is really standing out from the pack thus far.

So Case Keenum is going to need to maximize his chances and basically make the decision an easy one for Kubiak. I don't think Gary Kubiak is going to just hand the #3 job to Keenum. In fact, I don't think Gary is going to just hand the Kicker job to Bullock either. Gary is growing up. He's realizing he cannot be everybody's pal and play the favoritism games like he did with the David Andersons, the Amobi Okoyes, and the Jacoby Joneses of the NFL. With success, Gary is seemingly unlearning some bad habits from his first several years here.

Case, you better make some noise and be smart with the ball. Period.

GP
08-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Considering the source, I would expect him to get significant playing time this week

Exactly.

If John McClain said "Don't buy stock in Company X...that stock will never do anything but sink," I would buy as much stock in Company X as I could.

He has terrible forecasting abilities. He should be a weatherman on a TV station instead of prognosticating for an NFL team every week. He could say "It's gonna' be a hot one today, folks..." and pretty much nail the prediction for most of the year.

False Start
08-09-2012, 06:00 PM

Yeah, that's why I put the disclaimer there. lol.

dream_team
08-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Bumping this to hear what you guys are thinking about Mercilus. It just feels very odd to not be hearing more about this guy, being that he's a first round pick and all.

Also, how do you think he'll get on the field this season (barring any injuries). Will he be in on certain packages? Will he simply spell breathers for Brooks & Connor? Will there actually be packages where we see Barwin, Reed, and Mercilus on the field at the same time?

Maybe we'll have our own "Nascar" package with Watt, Smith, Barwin, Reed, Mercilus, and Cushing in on obvious passing downs?

b0ng
08-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Mercilus started off great getting rave reviews in camp, like most first round rookies. He got 1.5 sacks on Carolina and registered an assist playing with the 2s against SF. As far as getting in the game he certainly looks like the first pass rushed off the bench but they have not shown any quirky packages with him, Reed and Barwin on the field at the same time.

Wolf6151
08-23-2012, 01:08 AM
A team never tips their hand by showing special defensive packages in preseason, most preseason defenses are pretty vanilla. I like what I've seen from Mercilus so far and think that he'll mainly be used to sub for Barwin or Reed to keep all 3 rested. A "Nascar" package on passing downs would be fun to see.

The Pencil Neck
08-23-2012, 10:00 AM
He looked pretty good in the first game in pass rush situations. Against the run game, he didn't look as good although he held up better than I expected him to.

In the second game, he really didn't flash much at all. I didn't see any good pressure by him.

I think they've got the luxury, at this point at least, to not worry about having to speed up his development. I expect to see him giving Reed and Barwin breathers and being part of the rotation and I expect Wade to unveil some packages with all our best pass rushers on the field when the real games start... if not in the Saints game.

nero THE zero
08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
I've been surprised by the amount of time I've seen him in coverage. Given his size I thought he'd play more of a pure rusher role, but they drop him in zone quite a bit.

Showtime100
08-23-2012, 10:21 AM
I can't speak for much but he seems to be having a really good camp.

On another note I'm disappointed with this thread, there's not one Wynton Marsalis reference to be seen. :foottap:

Rey
08-23-2012, 01:26 PM
I wasn't a fan of the pick and I'm not all that smitten at the moment. I don't think he sucks, but I don't see him as being a star either. I'd take solid to good from him and I'd be happy.

Not really expecting much from him as a rookie though.

76Texan
08-24-2012, 12:52 AM
He looked pretty good in the first game in pass rush situations. Against the run game, he didn't look as good although he held up better than I expected him to.

In the second game, he really didn't flash much at all. I didn't see any good pressure by him.

I think they've got the luxury, at this point at least, to not worry about having to speed up his development. I expect to see him giving Reed and Barwin breathers and being part of the rotation and I expect Wade to unveil some packages with all our best pass rushers on the field when the real games start... if not in the Saints game.
Mercilus played WOLB

I counted 9 pass plays that he was in.

He dropped back into coverage twice.

He beat his man to the inside twice, but both times they were quick passes.

On the long pass play to Jenkins for 32 yards (Ball sucks), both he and the WDE rushed the outside gap so he was neutralized by his own man.

On the next pass (incompletion, but Jenkins beat Ball again), Mercilus beat his man late and would have gotten to the QB in just a tad less than 4 secs.
There was no push or penetration in the middle.
If there was, the QB has to pull back, and Mercilus would have a chance to get to him around the 3 sec mark.

He was neutralized by the OT once and there were 2 other quick passes in which there was nothing he can do.

The pass rush can be most effective if 2 or 3 players (including the back end) combine to make it happen.

Of all the run plays he was in, none was directly toward him.

He was in on the same stop with the NT Harris to limit the RB to a one-yd gain (due to the effort of several other guys on play side - I mentioned this play in the thread about NT Harris).
He got off the block of his man very nicely, I must say.

All and all, I think he had a solid game.

Lambert
08-24-2012, 03:47 AM
"On the next pass (incompletion, but Jenkins beat Ball again), Mercilus beat his man late and would have gotten to the QB in just a tad less than 4 secs."

In Less than 4 seconds he could have tied his shoe. Gotta get there in less than that.

76Texan
08-24-2012, 04:57 AM
"On the next pass (incompletion, but Jenkins beat Ball again), Mercilus beat his man late and would have gotten to the QB in just a tad less than 4 secs."

In Less than 4 seconds he could have tied his shoe. Gotta get there in less than that.

1. I said "late"; otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered noted the time now, would I? :)

2. I also said, often there needs to be other players involved to make a play happen.
A huge number of sacks happen around the 4 sec mark.
With a push or penetration up the middle, this play could have happened around the 3 sec mark.

3. BTW, as a new poster, I don't think it's a good idea to jump the gun and simply throw "wise" comment around just for the sake of it. But if you would rather "anything goes", you're welcome to go for it.

76Texan
08-24-2012, 05:03 AM
I was in the middle of documenting the plays when another thread distracted me.

Let me just post what I have for now.

2nd quarter

1-10-HST 28 (8:17) C.Kaepernick pass incomplete short right to T.Ginn (Q.Demps).
Mercilus at WOLB
Dropped into coverage as the right flat defender.

2-10-HST 28 (8:13) C.Kaepernick pass incomplete deep left to R.Moss (A.Ball).
Moss should have caught that back shoulder fade.
Ball out in slightly less than 2 secs.
Worked the LT to the inside, gaining a bit of leverage.

3-10-HST 28 (8:06) (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short right to T.Ginn to HST 22 for 6 yards (S.McManis).
PENALTY on SF-A.Davis, Illegal Formation, 5 yards, enforced at HST 28 - No Play.
43 WDE - Quick pass, ball out in just over one sec.

3-15-HST 33 (7:37) (Shotgun) K.Hunter up the middle to HST 19 for 14 yards (J.Crick).
SOLB - run away
Harris was pushed back 6 yards and pancaked.

San Francisco 49ers at 0:54, (1st play from scrimmage 0:48)
1-10-SF 21 (:48) (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short left to K.Williams to SF 27 for 6 yards (A.Ball).
43 WDE
Quick pass.

2-4-SF 27 (:27) (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short left to K.Reuland to SF 35 for 8 yards (T.Nolan).
PENALTY on SF-K.Reuland, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at SF 27 - No Play.

43 SDE
TE ran accross his face trying to slow Mercilus down a tad.
Still, he took the LT close to the QB, disengaged and was ready to launch at around the 2 sec mark.
The LG came back to help just in time; otherwise, Mercilus would have been on top of the QB.
In one-on-one, this would have been a sack right here (at the least, a BIG QB hit).

2-14-SF 17 (:19) (Shotgun) L.James right guard to SF 23 for 6 yards (T.Dobbins, T.Nolan).
PENALTY on HST-T.Dobbins, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at SF 23.
43 WDE
Run away

3rd quarter
San Francisco 49ers at 15:00, (1st play from scrimmage 14:53)
1-10-SF 25 (14:53) C.Kaepernick pass short right to K.Williams to SF 32 for 7 yards (B.McCain).
WOLB
Quick pass
Demps nearly jumped the route.

2-3-SF 32 (14:19) R.Cartwright up the middle to SF 33 for 1 yard (R.Harris, W.Mercilus).
WOLB
Brahman SOLB and Crick (especially Crick) shut down play side.
Runner cut back.
Harris stood his ground and was the first man there (low)
Mercilus was attacking outside the RT, disengaged and came around back to join in just a hair afterward (high).
Not sure if Harris could have brought the runner down by himself.
At least, he would have gained some more yards without Mercilus

3-2-SF 33 (13:41) C.Kaepernick pass short right to A.Dixon pushed ob at SF 33 for no gain (T.Dobbins).
221 personnel.
After motion, Mercilus became SOLB (2 TE set with lone receiver on his side).
Quick pass (less than 2 secs.)
With the TE crossing Mercilus's face to slow him down a tad, the LT was able to hold Mercilus off.
There was nothing he can really do here.

TimeKiller
08-24-2012, 11:52 AM
76 I know this a WM thread but anything you can throw out about Crick would be nice too. I saw him in the game a few times but didn't really see him able to make a play.

76Texan
08-24-2012, 01:10 PM
76 I know this a WM thread but anything you can throw out about Crick would be nice too. I saw him in the game a few times but didn't really see him able to make a play.

I'll do it tonight.
I'm pretty sure Crick had a decent game.

badboy
08-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Understand that Crick is recovering from injury so I don't expect as much

pec0sb0b
08-24-2012, 07:04 PM
I'll do it tonight.
I'm pretty sure Crick had a decent game.

Phillips was saying good things about him after yesterday's practice.

False Start
08-24-2012, 09:21 PM
On another note I'm disappointed with this thread, there's not one Wynton Marsalis reference to be seen. :foottap:

Here you go Show.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0MAh0_Oa3iU/TSFJ5kXR8bI/AAAAAAAAGSg/WV4LvMMZMSA/s1600/Wynton+Marsalis+1.jpg

Maybe they are limiting Mercilus' play style/moves, so other teams can't see what he's capable of when sh!t gets real. Hell, I don't know, :littlelol: He's our secret weapon.

http://westchestergreen.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/top_secret.gif

:stonecold:

GP
08-24-2012, 10:36 PM
All those who think Crick goes quietly into the night, with "night" being "the practice squad," raise your hand...or some part of your body that signifies you agree. Well, not ANY part of your body (I'm looking at you, Texan Bill).

Dudes who are gimpy, and are rookies, they go to Gary Kubiak's misfit toy island for a year. I want to see Crick next year when he's healed up and ready to do war. Or get called up later this season if needed.

I see no way he makes the 53. IMO.

The Pencil Neck
08-24-2012, 11:15 PM
All those who think Crick goes quietly into the night, with "night" being "the practice squad," raise your hand...or some part of your body that signifies you agree. Well, not ANY part of your body (I'm looking at you, Texan Bill).

Dudes who are gimpy, and are rookies, they go to Gary Kubiak's misfit toy island for a year. I want to see Crick next year when he's healed up and ready to do war. Or get called up later this season if needed.

I don't think so. I think he makes the 53.

It's very rare for a 4th round player to be waived. And it's even rarer for them to find their way to the practice squad.

The only way we "stash" him is if we IR him.

He played last week and he didn't look bad.

NastyNate
08-25-2012, 12:23 AM

I think we're going to carry 5 DE's. He'll make the squad.

kingh99
08-25-2012, 12:34 AM
In Wade We Trust.

76Texan
08-25-2012, 12:47 AM
It doesn't matter where he was drafted.

If Crick has been showing up in practice the way he played against the Niners, he makes the team.

The guy plays smart, with good pad level, maintaining his gap responsibility well.

I expect him to be part of the rotation.

I will have the game breakdown soon.

Cjeremy635
08-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Mercilus has been a non factor all half. I could be wrong, but has he even been in on a single tackle? He appears lost and isn't making moves with a purpose. He just appears unsure to me.

Nevermind, he just got a sack. I'd still like to see more.

thunderkyss
08-26-2012, 12:10 AM
I think we're going to carry 5 DE's. He'll make the squad.

Who else do you see as DE? Smith, Watt, Jamison, Crick. .... who am I missing?

beerlover
08-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Mercilus has been a non factor all half. I could be wrong, but has he even been in on a single tackle? He appears lost and isn't making moves with a purpose. He just appears unsure to me.

Mercilus is a bright star. Best closing speed of any pass rusher in Texan history. Early on they are asking him to become a sack specialist, doesn't mean he is a one trick pony but what a good skill set to have.

76Texan
08-26-2012, 01:14 AM
We should feel good the way Barwin and Reed holding up playing so many snaps last year, having another pass rusher is a plus. :texanbill:

Rey
08-26-2012, 02:36 AM

To me he looks the same like he did in college. Doesn't wow you with anything in particular, but he has moments where he just gets it done. Honestly, id like more out of him, but If the highest he ever achieved is being "a good player", I can live with that.

wolf123
08-26-2012, 09:35 AM
To me he looks the same like he did in college. Doesn't wow you with anything in particular, but he has moments where he just gets it done. Honestly, id like more out of him, but If the highest he ever achieved is being "a good player", I can live with that.

He's a raw player that's pass rushing ability is well ahead of other areas of his game. He still has gotten 2.5 sacks in 3 games.

EVOLVIST
08-26-2012, 11:48 PM
He's a raw player that's pass rushing ability is well ahead of other areas of his game. He still has gotten 2.5 sacks in 3 games.

Some of those sacks against scrubs, and the one against NO with nobody blocking him.

I predict 5 sacks for the season for Mercilus...and you know what? I fine with that number (for now, anyway).

Rey
08-27-2012, 09:32 AM

That's fine and all, but I'm not a huge Brooks Reed or Mercilus guy. To me they are about the same type of player. They have good motors they are good enough athletes, they are scrappy and because of that some good things will happen for them.

But I don't see either as they type of player that is going to dominate the guy in front of them on a consistent basis.

I hope I'm wrong about that by the way...

badboy
08-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Some of those sacks against scrubs, and the one against NO with nobody blocking him.

I predict 5 sacks for the season for Mercilus...and you know what? I fine with that number (for now, anyway).Isn't the defense of Phillips designed to have someone unblocked & get to QB?

Bulls on Parade
08-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Any idea if anybody can upload the Whitney Mercilus sack against the Saints on YouTube? He nearly had a second and third as well but the one sack he had was amazing to watch. Just wish it was available to watch again.

Rey
08-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Isn't the defense of Phillips designed to have someone unblocked & get to QB?

Yeah it is. But it won't always work out like that and that's when talent and skill kick in.

76Texan
08-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Yeah it is. But it won't always work out like that and that's when talent and skill kick in.

And that was exactly why they drafted Mercilus in the first place.

On the talent part that is; the skills, one has to learn.

You want a playmaker, you've got one.
Sometimes I wonder what can please you, Rey!

Rey
08-28-2012, 10:49 PM
And that was exactly why they drafted Mercilus in the first place.

On the talent part that is; the skills, one has to learn.

You want a playmaker, you've got one.
Sometimes I wonder what can please you, Rey!

I'm not displeased with anything merci has done or not done.

As far as the playmaker part, I hope you are right.

TheRealJoker
08-28-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm not displeased with anything merci has done or not done.

As far as the playmaker part, I hope you are right.

Merci has an elite first step. That alone is worth a first round pick.

b0ng
08-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Just for giggles, if I put the over/under on the number of sacks you guys think Merci will get this season at 6 (not counting playoffs), what would you take?

I'd probably take the under.

Vinny
08-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Just for giggles, if I put the over/under on the number of sacks you guys think Merci will get this season at 6 (not counting playoffs), what would you take?

I'd probably take the under.I'd take the over...he's gonna be in a lot of pass rushing situations and will be fresh since he is not taking too many conventional down and distance snaps (assumed).

b0ng
08-30-2012, 10:41 PM
I'd take the over...he's gonna be in a lot of pass rushing situations and will be fresh since he is not taking too many conventional down and distance snaps (assumed).

I don't think he's going to get as many snaps as Reed got last year. Not totally sure if he has enough moves/power (I know the speed is pretty much there) to get 6 sacks in a much more limited role.

Cjeremy635
08-30-2012, 10:47 PM
I know one thing, that cat has got to learn to seal the edge of the damn line. As out outside guy, that is rule #1. He may be fast when getting after the QB in open space, but he's a liability in run defense. This is just my opinion of him from what I've seen in preseason. I don't follow college ball, so I don't know what skills he's supposed to be bringing to the table other than what I've read on here....which is basically "pass rush specialist". What's going to stop teams from checking to a run play when he's in the game? Yes....I'm that concerned.

Rey
08-30-2012, 10:53 PM
I know one thing, that cat has got to learn to seal the edge of the damn line. As out outside guy, that is rule #1. He may be fast when getting after the QB in open space, but he's a liability in run defense. This is just my opinion of him from what I've seen in preseason. I don't follow college ball, so I don't know what skills he's supposed to be bringing to the table other than what I've read on here....which is basically "pass rush specialist". What's going to stop teams from checking to a run play when he's in the game? Yes....I'm that concerned.

He's a rookie and needs to settle down. He'll get better. Especially in this defense.

You can look at him and tell he is thinking a lot. Not as reactionary. I think he'll at least be a solid player, but I'm not sold that he is a star.

Vinny
08-30-2012, 10:55 PM
I don't think he's going to get as many snaps as Reed got last year. Not totally sure if he has enough moves/power (I know the speed is pretty much there) to get 6 sacks in a much more limited role. he's gonna get a ton of looks in that speed/edge rusher role. We will be playing with lots of leads and when we don't have one we won't be blown out much.

I know one thing, that cat has got to learn to seal the edge of the damn line. As out outside guy, that is rule #1. He may be fast when getting after the QB in open space, but he's a liability in run defense. This is just my opinion of him from what I've seen in preseason. I don't follow college ball, so I don't know what skills he's supposed to be bringing to the table other than what I've read on here....which is basically "pass rush specialist". What's going to stop teams from checking to a run play when he's in the game? Yes....I'm that concerned.Hell, in Jr High the Coaches drone on and on about setting the edge. Right now he's a liability in conventional down and distance snaps.

b0ng
08-30-2012, 10:55 PM
I really don't think he's going to be on the field enough for us to worry about his run defense. I think you are talking about exclusively on 3rd and longs and possibly only when Barwin or Reed needs a blow. One good thing though is he's probably not going to be gameplanned for and I think he has enough talent to get more than 1 or 2 sacks.

GP
08-30-2012, 11:06 PM

Under.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-30-2012, 11:34 PM

Over.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2012, 12:29 AM
I'll take the over.

But like CJeremy said, he's got to learn how to keep contain. Sometimes he flares out too wide and sometimes he runs down the line looking to help on the run and doesn't realize he's just been faked. And sometimes, he just gets blocked.

He looks like a damned rookie.

thunderkyss
08-31-2012, 12:58 AM
I'll take the over.

But like CJeremy said, he's got to learn how to keep contain. Sometimes he flares out too wide and sometimes he runs down the line looking to help on the run and doesn't realize he's just been faked. And sometimes, he just gets blocked.

He looks like a damned rookie.

I think a lot of that has to do with recognition. Once he starts to learn what to look for & become more of a football player instead of just a DE all that will change. Right now, he's probably just doing what he's told. So if the play called is for him to get upfield & in the QBs face, that's what he does. He doesn't know that the offense called a run to his side or what not.

After a few games, some film study, he'll be able to make those adjustments on the fly.

76Texan
08-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Wade said he doesn't game plan for extra stuffs.
He just want to see the guys working their own gaps.

I think TNP over-analyzed Mercilus' responsibility in the run game. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

TimeKiller
08-31-2012, 11:45 AM
The guy behind us last night was KILLING Mercilus. I mean, raking him over the coals, beating a dead horse, KILLING him. I was kind of embarrassed.... I mean you showed up to root FOR these guys, right?

3.5 sacks in 4 games is it? As a limited time rusher? Yeah. What the hell are people expecting?

But then again, I'm sitting around a bunch of people that yelled, "eat a steak!" after every 3-yard run Foster had. Like it's completely uncommon for a RB to gain 3 yards on a play. Jesus, you would think there's literally a door open behind the endzone that leads directly to the hall of fame and anybody that doesn't run through it on every single play is practically worthless.

GlassHalfFull
08-31-2012, 11:54 AM
The guy behind us last night was KILLING Mercilus. I mean, raking him over the coals, beating a dead horse, KILLING him. I was kind of embarrassed.... I mean you showed up to root FOR these guys, right?

3.5 sacks in 4 games is it? As a limited time rusher? Yeah. What the hell are people expecting?

But then again, I'm sitting around a bunch of people that yelled, "eat a steak!" after every 3-yard run Foster had. Like it's completely uncommon for a RB to gain 3 yards on a play. Jesus, you would think there's literally a door open behind the endzone that leads directly to the hall of fame and anybody that doesn't run through it on every single play is practically worthless.

I hate sitting around idiots like that. They can ruin a gameday experience. I had some guy behind me last year that had to comment on every single f'ing play, always negative. :toropalm:

b0ng
08-31-2012, 11:59 AM
I hate sitting around idiots like that. They can ruin a gameday experience. I had some guy behind me last year that had to comment on every single f'ing play, always negative. :toropalm:

That sucks but you can't let it get to you. The one time I had an uppity "fan" talking trash about the home team I just got really drunk and I don't remember what happened but we were high fiving at the end so it must've been good.

Wolf
10-21-2012, 01:41 PM
hopefully this is his breakout game

He has got a sack and tipped the ball that got intercepted

PandapuffTexan
10-21-2012, 01:45 PM
everyone is playing out there mind today...if they play like this in playoffs i see a superbowl comig nto houston

beerlover
10-21-2012, 01:46 PM
hopefully this is his breakout game

He has got a sack and tipped the ball that got intercepted

Next man up

Wolf
10-21-2012, 01:54 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/409317_10151078163761314_1067229907_n.jpg
At halftime, Texans lead Ravens 29-3. Rookie OLB Whitney Mercilus collected his first career sack & also forced a fumble. So far, Texans' D has 1 safety, 1 TD, 2 sacks, 2 INTs and the forced fumble. Go Texans!
from the Texans facebook page

The Cush
10-21-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm so glad Wade is finally implementing the 3 man OLB rotation. Mercilus has been a beast today and he's still making some saving tackles on special teams.

Titans Sux 72
10-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Brooks Reed playing inside. Very Intresting.

fiasco west
10-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Rick Smith is something else. I'm really glad McNair was patient with this guy. He's drafting studs and if they are not studs they are at least solid players more often than not.

Mercilus still has a ways to go, but initial impressions of him AND Crick are pretty good IMO.

wolf123
10-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Whitney was a stud TODAY!!!:evil:

ATRAIN
10-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Brooks Reed playing inside. Very Intresting.

I didnt even notice, was that why WM was playing more?

The Cush
10-21-2012, 03:33 PM
I didnt even notice, was that why WM was playing more?

No. Mericilus played a lot early on as part of a rotation at OLB but not so much in the 2nd half until it was garbage time. When Brooks was playing MLB (which I think was only one series), we basically went into nickel with Watt on one end and Barwin on the other.

Insideop
10-21-2012, 03:35 PM
everyone is playing out there mind today...if they play like this in playoffs i see a superbowl comig nto houston

Not the young WR's. Martin dropped at least 1 pass that was right in his hands down by the goal line. I never saw Posey. Did he suit up today? Only saw Lestar once and I don't think he had any balls thrown his way. I know K-Mart is doing PR and KR but I wish he, or at least 1 of the other 2 would start stepping up as WR's. At least the team came out and played with some FIRE today and it showed in the score. That's what makes me the happiest. :)

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Not the young WR's. Martin dropped at least 1 pass that was right in his hands down by the goal line. I never saw Posey. Did he suit up today? Only saw Lestar once and I don't think he had any balls thrown his way. I know K-Mart is doing PR and KR but I wish he, or at least 1 of the other 2 would start stepping up as WR's. At least the team came out and played with some FIRE today and it showed in the score. That's what makes me the happiest. :)

Posey was out there a couple of times.

gary
10-21-2012, 03:46 PM
I hope Mercilus plays more on defense.

beerlover
10-21-2012, 03:58 PM

:wesmantexanfan:

Vinny
10-21-2012, 04:21 PM
he has that extra suddeness that Barwin and Reed don't have. Both of those guys have great straight line speed but I think Mercilus may be faster in traffic. It looks like the right time to get him ready for more PT. He doesn't look as lost out there now.

CretorFrigg
10-21-2012, 04:35 PM

I'm with you there, Gary. Mercilus looked great with the time he had playing. He was out there making plays.

stingray
10-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Kid looked pretty damn good out there. Hope to see much more of him. His sack fumble seemed to ignite the defense and get everything rolling.

stingray
10-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Didn't see the old thread on Whitney. Please merge.

burro
10-21-2012, 04:43 PM
delete

gary
10-21-2012, 05:03 PM
With the loss of Cushing and Demps it is nice Mercilus had a his best game so far.

burro
10-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Though he looked pretty good today, Barwin should be nervous. Perhaps Mercilus' showing will motivate him to step it up. Or maybe Barwin will say screw it and go to work for Pitchfork. You never know.

ItsMyFault
10-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Really impressed with him today. He got some good pressure on Flacco.

thunderkyss
10-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Though he looked pretty good today, Barwin should be nervous. Perhaps Mercilus' showing will motivate him to step it up. Or maybe Barwin will say screw it and go to work for Pitchfork. You never know.

I don't know that Barwin should be nervous. Barwin was doing his thing today. He was in Flacco's face quite a bit. One of his hits... I mean he flattened Flacco causing the ball to sail high out the back of the end-zone.

Doppelganger
10-21-2012, 08:14 PM
he has that extra suddeness that Barwin and Reed don't have. Both of those guys have great straight line speed but I think Mercilus may be faster in traffic. It looks like the right time to get him ready for more PT. He doesn't look as lost out there now.

It's great that wade has allowed Mercilus to come along slowly. Rather than needinG him to start day 1, as essentially every other first round pick in the team's history, Merciluss has been allowed to learn how to be a professional. With the bye week coming he now has 2 additional weeks to learn, work on technique, and improve. When the Giants took JPP they had him sit on the sidelines and learn from strahan, tucker, and Osi. He played on passing situations initially and his role expanded as the season progressed. When strahan left after the year, JPP was ready. I like that wade has taken the same approach with Mercilus.

hradhak
10-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Mercilus had some good play today. Barwin has had some very good play without getting on the stats board. He's had quite a few hurries so far. I think it is good that these guys always know if they can't get it done, there's a hungry young rookie who is aching to play. The prospect of being benched always lights a fire under your ass.

burro
10-21-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't know that Barwin should be nervous. Barwin was doing his thing today. He was in Flacco's face quite a bit. One of his hits... I mean he flattened Flacco causing the ball to sail high out the back of the end-zone.

True, but he's done nothing the previous six days. None-the-less, it was a great play and a good game for him.

Goldensilence
10-21-2012, 09:31 PM

I think Barwin's gotta be frustrated as much as any of us on the MB to not seeing the numbers in the sack column this year. However, I have seen him getting in the QBs face prior to this game, getting hits and batting a few balls down.

I also think Watt is having such a great year as well it could be cutting into Barwin's numbers.

At any rate I was VERY pleased to see Merciless not only on the field, but having a big play that sparked the team some. Dunno if Barwin should be nervous or the rest of the teams we face this year be nervous that another stud might be making the rotation at OLB.

badboy
10-21-2012, 09:41 PM
I think Barwin's gotta be frustrated as much as any of us on the MB to not seeing the numbers in the sack column this year. However, I have seen him getting in the QBs face prior to this game, getting hits and batting a few balls down.

I also think Watt is having such a great year as well it could be cutting into Barwin's numbers.

At any rate I was VERY pleased to see Merciless not only on the field, but having a big play that sparked the team some. Dunno if Barwin should be nervous or the rest of the teams we face this year be nervous that another stud might be making the rotation at OLB.Not sure how Watt going up middle or around end opposite Barwin has anything to do with reducing Barwin's numbers? Should he not at least be getting close to QB? Until today, how many balls did Conner bat down?

Wolf
10-21-2012, 09:46 PM
(on his first sack) “Well, I’ve got to give credit to Wade (Phillips). We kind of schemed that up a little bit. I moved around, (OLB) Brooks (Reed) moved around the other side and we kind of confused their o-line, was unblocked and was able to get there.”
From quote thread
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95622

TEXANRED
10-21-2012, 09:54 PM

I am hoping that Mercilus/Watt becomes our Derrick Thomas/Neil Smith combo.

In my mind Thomas/Smith is the greatest DE/LB combo of all time.

Carr Bombed
10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Not sure how Watt going up middle or around end opposite Barwin has anything to do with reducing Barwin's numbers? Should he not at least be getting close to QB? Until today, how many balls did Conner bat down?

I've seen Barwin get around the QB in multiple games this season.. he just hasn't been able to get the sacks, but it's not like he was being shut out from supplying pressure (Like Mario in Buffalo). He didn't have a sack until week 5 last season.. it took a extra game this year. Sometimes when they come, they come in bunches. Let's hope that this is a sign that the law of averages are starting to level out and Barwin's sack #s are about to blow up.

mussop
10-21-2012, 10:41 PM
I want to see Reed, Barwin, Mercilus and Brahman all on the field at the same time. Put Reed and Brahman in the middle.

By the way Brahman's name should start going on some probowl ballets soon if he keeps up his special teams play.

Rey
10-21-2012, 10:47 PM
I want to see Reed, Barwin, Mercilus and Brahman all on the field at the same time. Put Reed and Brahman in the middle.

By the way Brahman's name should start going on some probowl ballets soon if he keeps up his special teams play.

Braman in the pro bowl?

Hahahahaha...

I love Braman, buts he's not making the pro bowl as a back up and special teams guy.

gtexan02
10-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Braman in the pro bowl?

Hahahahaha...

I love Braman, buts he's not making the pro bowl as a back up and special teams guy.

There are special teams specific pro bowl slots. Usually they are reserved for return guys though

Carr Bombed
10-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Braman in the pro bowl?

Hahahahaha...

They go to the pro bowl every year.. If I remember correctly Molden made it one year.. or was a alternate.

Texan in Japan
10-21-2012, 11:18 PM

This! I think if Reed can handle the defensive calls then this would put our most athletic LBs on the field. Would be fun to watch some plays of this team on the field.

Rey
10-21-2012, 11:19 PM
There are special teams specific pro bowl slots. Usually they are reserved for return guys though

I know that.

Braman is not going to the pro bowl in his current role either which was my initial statement.

Rey
10-21-2012, 11:24 PM
They go to the pro bowl every year.. If I remember correctly Molden made it one year.. or was a alternate.

No they do not. Kick returners usually occupy the special teams position.

And please show me where molden was ever on anyones pro bowl radar.I don't remember that. I searched the net and couldn't find anything. Maybe I missed it.

Will demps was an alternate one year, but he was a starter at safety.

gtexan02
10-21-2012, 11:30 PM

And please show me where molden was ever on anyones pro bowl radar.I don't remember that. I searched the net and couldn't find anything. Maybe I missed it.

It doesn't really matter. When someone says "Great Special Teams!" they aren't thinking of the Houston Texans. Braman could be the best gunner in the NFL and he wouldn't garner a second look on our awful squad

Carr Bombed
10-22-2012, 12:41 AM

My bad.. they don't hold alternates for ST positions, but he was up for consideration one year as he was one of the best gunners in the league.. the only year he was healthy. Osgood of the Chargers went that season.

However gunners do make the probowl.. they actually have a position on STs. There's 4 ST positions in the probowl.

Kicker
Punter
kick returner
and
Special teams player... usually elite gunners. Like Osgood was.

Rey
10-22-2012, 07:13 AM
My bad.. they don't hold alternates for ST positions, but he was up for consideration one year as he was one of the best gunners in the league.. the only year he was healthy. Osgood of the Chargers went that season.

However gunners do make the probowl.. they actually have a position on STs. There's 4 ST positions in the probowl.

Kicker
Punter
kick returner
and
Special teams player... usually elite gunners. Like Osgood was.

I understand all that.

Braman is not going to anyones pro bowl.

Carr Bombed
10-22-2012, 09:16 AM
I understand all that.

Did your magic 8 ball tell you that?

I understand that it's not likely, because he doesn't have a lot of notoriety, but I don't understand the motive of writing him off with 100% certainty.. he has been a top gunner this year and whether he goes or not, he is deserving.

Maddict5
10-22-2012, 09:26 AM
I understand all that.

you obviously dont based on your flip flopping on it every second post

braman is one of the best ST'ers in the league. id say he has a very good chance of making the probowl actually. your reasoning is terrible btw- the jags had a bad offence last yr, that didnt stop mojo making the probowl

thunderkyss
10-22-2012, 10:16 AM

I understand that it's not likely, because he doesn't have a lot of notoriety, but I don't understand the motive of writing him off with 100% certainty.. he has been a top gunner this year and whether he goes or not, he is deserving.

Our best gunner this year has been Ball.

The Pencil Neck
10-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Our best gunner this year has been Ball.

Ball has been lights out on ST.

Titans Sux 72
10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
I am hoping that Mercilus/Watt becomes our Derrick Thomas/Neil Smith combo.

In my mind Thomas/Smith is the greatest DE/LB combo of all time.

Good call. They were my favorite also.

Rey
10-22-2012, 11:29 AM

Braman isn't s gunner...

Do you even know what you're saying?

You sound ridiculous trumpeting Braman for the pro bowl.

Rey
10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
you obviously dont based on your flip flopping on it every second post

braman is one of the best ST'ers in the league. id say he has a very good chance of making the probowl actually. your reasoning is terrible btw- the jags had a bad offence last yr, that didnt stop mojo making the probowl

You need to learn how to read. I haven't given any reason. I haven't even commented in what I think of his special teams play. But hey, if you want to live in your fantasy land where Braman is on the pro bowl radar go ahead.

Carr Bombed
10-22-2012, 02:14 PM
You need to learn how to read. I haven't given any reason. I haven't even commented in what I think of his special teams play. But hey, if you want to live in your fantasy land where Braman is on the pro bowl radar go ahead.

What crawled up your rear end? For someone who isn't commenting you sure are going out of your way to crap on everyone's posts/opinions...

TimeKiller
10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
I was very satisfied by the OLB play today, top to bottom and I think at least some of their success stems from the fact that we actually saw a rotation today. Fresh legs doing damage. It's hard to talk up a player that isn't producing but I think the more focused fan can see that Barwin hasn't been completely absent despite the numbers. It's a helluva lot harder to flat out IGNORE production though and I gotta say, Mercilus has been producing at a higher clip than Barwin this season. I'm not trying to say switch them out....but I am trying to say keep the rotation alive. It's clearly enough to keep Barwin/Reed on their toes and Mercilus/Braman getting some snaps is only going to push them to do better.

Looked to me like the Ravens sold out on Watt and said somebody else beat us....and EVERYONE else did lol.

GP
10-22-2012, 08:32 PM
I was very satisfied by the OLB play today, top to bottom and I think at least some of their success stems from the fact that we actually saw a rotation today. Fresh legs doing damage. It's hard to talk up a player that isn't producing but I think the more focused fan can see that Barwin hasn't been completely absent despite the numbers. It's a helluva lot harder to flat out IGNORE production though and I gotta say, Mercilus has been producing at a higher clip than Barwin this season. I'm not trying to say switch them out....but I am trying to say keep the rotation alive. It's clearly enough to keep Barwin/Reed on their toes and Mercilus/Braman getting some snaps is only going to push them to do better.

Looked to me like the Ravens sold out on Watt and said somebody else beat us....and EVERYONE else did lol.

I agree with you, except I think Mercilus is being held back for IF we need him in an injury situation.

This past game was great for him, and us, because it shows what he can do in a real game versus a legitimate team's offense. However, it's good to put that in our back pocket and not risk him getting injured.

He could be playing a HUGE role down the line for us, and it might be in a saving grace sort of situation. But if he gets hurt this early, and we need him down the line, it'd suck pretty bad. That's my view.

It's like we're getting a sneak peek at an upcoming blockbuster movie that is just around the corner.

Maddict5
10-23-2012, 04:14 AM
You sound ridiculous trumpeting Braman for the pro bowl.

well well... look at what i saw when i clicked onto nfl.com this morning & saw the probowl ballot is up

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/ballot?module=HP11_content_stream_voting_probowl

and look who's the texans ST candidate (btw there only looks to be 11 candidates for the afc ST position). is braman assured of a place? no but to have a minimum 1/11 chance means its far from ridiculous also

SAMURAITEXAN
10-23-2012, 05:10 AM
well well... look at what i saw when i clicked onto nfl.com this morning & saw the probowl ballot is up

and look who's the texans ST candidate (btw there only looks to be 11 candidates for the afc ST position). is braman assured of a place? no but to have a minimum 1/11 chance means its far from ridiculous also

Yep, I voted already for Braman and other Texans!!!

Go Texans!!!

mussop
10-23-2012, 03:31 PM

HAHA! Brahman has been tearing it up on kickoffs. Dude is in on nearly every tackle.

Bulls on Parade
10-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Yep, I voted already for Braman and other Texans!!!

Go Texans!!!
I just voted for Braman as well. Already have up to 220 friends and family members voting for him also (some through social networking). He's very deserving for what he brings to the table on Special Teams. Mind you, the unit has been bad but he's been the one bright spot that makes me believe it will improve as the season goes along. Come playoff time, I expect this team to be clicking in every phase as they make that push 350 miles East to Super Bowl 47. It's going to be a little short drive for Houstonians going down to the Superdome.

Wolf
11-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Had a sack and forced fumble today

SAMURAITEXAN
11-04-2012, 04:11 PM

Seems like Merci is more and more comfortable and confident playing our D each week. By the end of regular season to beginning of the post season, we will see more of Merci in sack, FF, and TFL stats.

Go Texans!!!

ATXtexanfan
11-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Nothing wrong with grooming

DocBar
11-04-2012, 04:57 PM
This could very well mean that Barwin will be expendable after this season. Merci is looking better and better.

PapaL
11-04-2012, 05:07 PM
As per ESPN:

Whitney Mercilus, 2012:
TACK SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD
9 8 1 2.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Mario Williams, 2012:
16 13 3 3.5 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

SAMURAITEXAN
11-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Nothing wrong with grooming

Not it all. In fact, I like how we play these rooks lately. We used to and had to throw these rooks into the fire a sort of speak. Now, we have enough talents not to do these things.

Go Texans!!!

Fili
11-04-2012, 05:37 PM
As per ESPN:

Whitney Mercilus, 2012:
9 8 1 2.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Mario Williams, 2012:
16 13 3 3.5 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

And Mercilus gets less than half the amount of time Mario gets.

TheIronDuke
11-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Do those stats include today's game for MW? He had a sack and 5 tackles, had 3.5 sacks going into our game.

DocBar
11-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Do those stats include today's game for MW? He had a sack and 5 tackles, had 3.5 sacks going into our game.Does it matter? Mario is more pooper that super. Seriously, this is a game that Pooper Mario said he was amped up for and the best he could do (against a 1st year starter) was 1 sack and 5 tackles. I guess that counts as a big game when you're Mario Williams. I'm just thankful he's drawing his paycheck from another team now.

TheIronDuke
11-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Does it matter? Mario is more pooper that super. Seriously, this is a game that Pooper Mario said he was amped up for and the best he could do (against a 1st year starter) was 1 sack and 5 tackles. I guess that counts as a big game when you're Mario Williams. I'm just thankful he's drawing his paycheck from another team now.

No but I just wanted to have a fair comparison. I didn't want him back either FTR.

amazing80
11-04-2012, 07:03 PM
This could very well mean that Barwin will be expendable after this season. Merci is looking better and better.

It COULD or it could mean Barwin demands LESS money and we get to keep him while having one of the best rotations in the front 7

DocBar
11-04-2012, 07:26 PM
It COULD or it could mean Barwin demands LESS money and we get to keep him while having one of the best rotations in the front 7I'm good with that. I think Barwin would like to stay and be much more cap-friendly than a certain recently departed player. Barwin doesn't seem to have an over inflated opinion of himself.

Wolf
11-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Kubiak thinks mercilus could be huge for us in second half of the season and that he played more today(game is slowing down for him)

beerlover
11-04-2012, 08:17 PM
this is all you need to know right here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l51Wd3Aosw

GP
11-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Kubiak thinks mercilus could be huge for us in second half of the season and that he played more today(game is slowing down for him)

His football IQ is great. Almost all of his big plays are a result if beating his man AFTER he's made contact.

He navigates through traffic and ends up losing the blocker and finding the lane the QB is headed for. He was going to have that same sort of result vs. Flacco too, but Barwin got there first.

Deceptive game speed. High football IQ. Reads the QB as good as Watt.

I want him held back in case we really REALLY need him down the stretch.

Wolf
11-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Hopefully he gets more playing. The official quotes had Mercilus talking about rookie wall(yeah someone asked him) all he said was normally he would Be almost done playing the college season and here in the nfl, he has 8 more games to go.(at least) and doesnt think he will hit the rookie wall. well He said more about it but can't remember exactly

beerlover
11-04-2012, 09:41 PM
His football IQ is great. Almost all of his big plays are a result if beating his man AFTER he's made contact.

He navigates through traffic and ends up losing the blocker and finding the lane the QB is headed for. He was going to have that same sort of result vs. Flacco too, but Barwin got there first.

like your breakdown, seems reasonable to me. Or you could take it a step further & just say he is half a second quicker to the QB than Mario, which can make all the difference in the world. But look @ me I didn't even bother to mock him to the Texans because I thought for sure he would be long gone. Texan fans be patient he has everything you look for in a pass rusher, 1st rd. pick & Texan (awesome parents too!).

Brisco_County
11-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I got to watch him at the game today, and I loved what I saw. "Smart and fast" sums up his performance. He sheds blockers, slips through gaps, and gets to his target. We have a lot to look forward to with this player. Wade hit another home run.

TimeKiller
11-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Mercilus brings the heat! Needs more playing time!

mussop
11-05-2012, 04:39 PM

This is insane! Half the year is over and you describe him as a difference maker yet you want to sit him "IN CASE WE NEED HIM LATER"? You are starting to think too much like the old Kubiak. He needs to be getting 15 to 25 plays a game to develop and Phillips needs to start designing packages to take advantage of his special abilities NOW! This guy has flashed D Ware ability. You don't sit those type players. You fine ways to get them on the field and keep them there.

PapaL
11-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Do those stats include today's game for MW? He had a sack and 5 tackles, had 3.5 sacks going into our game.

You are correct. They hadn't update MW stats yet.

WM:LINK (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14936/whitney-mercilus)
GP TACK SOLO AST SACK FF PD
8 12 10 2 2.0 2 1

MW: LINK (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9587/mario-williams)
GP TACK SOLO AST SACK FF PD
8 23 18 5 4.5 0 1

El Tejano
11-06-2012, 07:21 AM
What I liked about Mercilus' last sack is how he closed in on the QB. He was running so fast it looked as if he vacuumed the QB.

beerlover
11-06-2012, 08:53 AM
got one for you guys - http://www.examiner.com/article/texans-draft-watch-de-olb-whitney-mercilus#ixzz1m6CIa2hw

NitroGSXR
11-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Correction... he had TWO sacks.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Whitney-Mercilus-credited-with-additional-Week-9-sack/a30052dd-68b5-4287-9001-7b580c7b6d85

TheIronDuke
11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Correction... he had TWO sacks.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Whitney-Mercilus-credited-with-additional-Week-9-sack/a30052dd-68b5-4287-9001-7b580c7b6d85

What happens if Buffalo comes back in 6 weeks and says it was a designed run play like Miami did?!

Wolf
11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
He will be on nfl network on nfl am thursday morning

GP
11-07-2012, 07:27 PM
What happens if Buffalo comes back in 6 weeks and says it was a designed run play like Miami did?!

I thought that was Rex Ryan's Jets who did that to us?

Sanchez got sacked by Watt and somehow after the game it was changed to a "designed run play."

b0ng
11-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I thought that was Rex Ryan's Jets who did that to us?

Sanchez got sacked by Watt and somehow after the game it was changed to a "designed run play."

It was Miami and it was like 5 or 6 weeks after the game had happened.

Dutchrudder
11-08-2012, 04:04 PM
The Texans defense has 25 total sacks on the year so far. They are on pace for 50 this year, six better than the team record set in 2011 with 44 sacks.

Individual Leaders:

JJ Watt 10.5
Antonio Smith 4
Whitney Mercilus 3
Brooks Reed 2.5
Connor Barwin 2

Scooter
11-08-2012, 10:35 PM
and in those 3 sacks he has 2 forced fumbles. the kid has a whole lot of robert mathis about him. outside of the obvious pass rush ability, there's a sense of timing and general awareness of the quarterback that's not common with most rushers. there's nothing wrong with "hit the guy with the ball", but mercilus takes it that next step.

thunderkyss
11-08-2012, 11:39 PM
The Texans defense has 25 total sacks on the year so far. They are on pace for 50 this year, six better than the team record set in 2011 with 44 sacks.

Individual Leaders:

JJ Watt 10.5
Antonio Smith 4
Whitney Mercilus 3
Brooks Reed 2.5
Connor Barwin 2

Almost half the sacks are from one person. That's not good for us. Barwin & Brooks need to step it up. Crick needs to show up.

I still think this defense would be better with Mario, Imagine if he & Watt had 10 sacks & all we'd have to lose is Brooks' 2.5. That would be a scary defense.

beerlover
11-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Almost half the sacks are from one person. That's not good for us. Barwin & Brooks need to step it up. Crick needs to show up.

I still think this defense would be better with Mario, Imagine if he & Watt had 10 sacks & all we'd have to lose is Brooks' 2.5. That would be a scary defense.

For a 100 million he better :spit:

TimeKiller
11-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Brooks' 2.5. And 100 million dollars lol....

Wouldn't matter to me if the Texans got 50 sacks and 49 of them came from MegaWatt.

thunderkyss
11-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Wouldn't matter to me if the Texans got 50 sacks and 49 of them came from MegaWatt.

Well, my thinking is that we're going to wear Watt down or shorten his career at the very least. It's the same thing with Foster, it's nice to have a Ben Tate backing him up, helps make sure Foster is good to go for the play-offs this year & next year.

The Medic01
11-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Well, my thinking is that we're going to wear Watt down or shorten his career at the very least. It's the same thing with Foster, it's nice to have a Ben Tate backing him up, helps make sure Foster is good to go for the play-offs this year & next year.

That doesn't make sense. Weather he gets the sack or not he will still be taking on blockers every play.

Dutchrudder
11-09-2012, 09:03 PM

Wow ok, why don't you go study how many plays a game other top end DEs average per game? Come back with some info on why the Texans are over-using him and we'll talk. Start with Ngata, Justin Smith and jared Allen.

thunderkyss
11-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Wow ok, why don't you go study how many plays a game other top end DEs average per game? Come back with some info on why the Texans are over-using him and we'll talk. Start with Ngata, Justin Smith and jared Allen.

None of those guys is 50% of their QB pressures.

If Jj Watt is our defense, he'll be in on 90% or more of the snaps. Just like Reed & Barwin were at the end of last year. It's fine for short spurts, a few weeks here, a few weeks there, but none of them can take it for long.

We'll also be "pushing" Jj to play through minor injuries which can potentially hurt his longevity.

On the great teams, your QB pressure comes from two players & a bunch of role players. Freeny & Mathis, Lewis & Suggs & Ngata, Woodley & Harrison, Justin Smith & Aldon Smith & Patrick Willis, Ware & Ratcliff,

Don't get me wrong, it isn't unheard of that one guy makes up a teams pass rush, it happens. But that guy usually get's hurt often, whether that is Jared Allen, Kyle VandenBosh, or whoever.

Bottom line, we need a beter DL rotation where we get pressure on the QB even when Jj Watt is not in the game.

Brandon420tx
11-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Actually we have rotated Watt off the field a decentish amount this season. Like someone said earlier, every play he will be taking on blockers, I'd rather he keep outright dominating them that way he's not over exerting himself to win his matchup

Allstar
11-10-2012, 12:31 AM
I've never heard of a D-Lineman getting overworked.

beerlover
11-10-2012, 12:49 AM
None of those guys is 50% of their QB pressures.

If Jj Watt is our defense, he'll be in on 90% or more of the snaps. Just like Reed & Barwin were at the end of last year. It's fine for short spurts, a few weeks here, a few weeks there, but none of them can take it for long.

We'll also be "pushing" Jj to play through minor injuries which can potentially hurt his longevity.

On the great teams, your QB pressure comes from two players & a bunch of role players. Freeny & Mathis, Lewis & Suggs & Ngata, Woodley & Harrison, Justin Smith & Aldon Smith & Patrick Willis, Ware & Ratcliff,

Don't get me wrong, it isn't unheard of that one guy makes up a teams pass rush, it happens. But that guy usually get's hurt often, whether that is Jared Allen, Kyle VandenBosh, or whoever.

Bottom line, we need a beter DL rotation where we get pressure on the QB even when Jj Watt is not in the game.

Freeny & Mathis are 4-3 DE's (getting up there too) they are supposed to be premium pass rushers but have only one Super Bowl to show for it, with Peyton Manning.

Suggs is Raven primary pass rushing OLB in their 3-4. Lewis & Ngata are more supporting role pass rushers & no Super Bowl for this group.

Now Woodley & Harrison, OLB's for two time Super Bowl Champions does qualify for what your saying, with supporting cast of Troy Polamalu, Lawerence Timmons & Larry Foote. This is who Texans must take the mantle away from.

San Francisco got close but no Super Bowl for them either. Alex Smith is their primary pass rusher, but also have Ahmad Brooks. Justin Smith is a stud & next best after Watt. Great team no.

Should have mentioned Green Bay with Clay Matthews. Bet they were hoping for Mercilus, instead settled for Nick Perry who I think is out injured along with Woodson. AJ Hawk & BJ Raji in support. One Super Bowl.

Trying to be objective, of course, Texans have the best pass rushing, wrecking crew right now in the NFL. Not one team mentioned has such depth @ OLB plus a defensive MVP DL hopefull in Watt. If the offense can support the defense & score enough points keeping these guys fresh, Texans should win at least two Super Bowls, heck maybe three?

htowntexans1985
11-10-2012, 01:13 AM
With as much time as our Offense keeps the ball, I doubt JJ or anyone on our Defense is being overworked. We are #1 in time of possession.

thunderkyss
11-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Trying to be objective, of course, Texans have the best pass rushing, wrecking crew right now in the NFL. Not one team mentioned has such depth @ OLB plus a defensive MVP DL hopefull in Watt. If the offense can support the defense & score enough points keeping these guys fresh, Texans should win at least two Super Bowls, heck maybe three?

Yeah, if we lose Barwin, or if he never gets back to last year's production, you'll be looking to add someone to help Jj in your next mock. We need a better DL rotation.

With as much time as our Offense keeps the ball, I doubt JJ or anyone on our Defense is being overworked. We are #1 in time of possession.

That is true. I'd hate to run into a halfway decent offense again though i.e. Greenbay. The defense looked much better vs Baltimore where 4 guys were in there getting after the QB in addition to JJ.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Yeah! Texans' D overworked their jaws eating Burritos on side line watching our O play. You know, time possession thing! That's how JJ Watt found time to eat Burritos bigger than Ray Rice.

Go Texans!!!

ObsiWan
11-10-2012, 10:15 AM

You're right. But only if the Mario we saw during the first five games of last year is the one that shows up this year. I ain't quite convinced we would see that same guy.

And then there's the little matter of who ELSE we would have had to send packing to fit that humongous salary of his in our budget.

76Texan
11-10-2012, 10:54 AM

Here are some numbers:

In week 6, there were 20 D-linemen that had more snaps than JJ Watt.
In week 7, there were 24 and in week 9, there were 22.

These numbers include all Nose tackles as well as 4-3 DEs.

Watt was used quite a bit (more than the average D-linemen), but he was not among those who were "over-used".

Dutchrudder
11-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Here are some numbers:

In week 6, there were 20 D-linemen that had more snaps than JJ Watt.
In week 7, there were 24 and in week 9, there were 22.

These numbers include all Nose tackles as well as 4-3 DEs.

Watt was used quite a bit (more than the average D-linemen), but he was not among those who were "over-used".

Well, that's total snaps, and in order to really compare apples to apples, we need to divide it by number of games and also take a look at total defensive snaps for each team (several teams had bye weeks 4-7, when the Texans didn't have one). It would also be worth it to look at the number of each down, as we are talking about pass rushers, and they have to be on the field for most every 3rd down. I have a hunch that with our offense's ridiculous time of possession and our stubborn defense that forces teams off the field on 3rd down, we are on the lower end of the spectrum in regard to total defensive snaps.

I would also like to see JJ's percentage of plays with the Texans overall. Is he at 80%, 90, 99? Might help understand how much the team utilizes him.

Where do you get your stats from for this? I'd like to take a look for myself, but I"m not aware of a stats database that's publicly available and tracks snap counts per player.

76Texan
11-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Well, that's total snaps, and in order to really compare apples to apples, we need to divide it by number of games and also take a look at total defensive snaps for each team (several teams had bye weeks 4-7, when the Texans didn't have one). It would also be worth it to look at the number of each down, as we are talking about pass rushers, and they have to be on the field for most every 3rd down. I have a hunch that with our offense's ridiculous time of possession and our stubborn defense that forces teams off the field on 3rd down, we are on the lower end of the spectrum in regard to total defensive snaps.

I would also like to see JJ's percentage of plays with the Texans overall. Is he at 80%, 90, 99? Might help understand how much the team utilizes him.

Where do you get your stats from for this ? I'd like to take a look for myself, but I"m not aware of a stats database that's publicly available and tracks snap counts per player.
Football Outsiders have this new feature. Go to Stats / Player Snap Counts.
You have to search week by week. For the Texans , Watt is used the most on the line.

srrono
11-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Chandler Jones (6 sacks) has played 490 snaps, Bruce Irvin (5) 234, Derek Wolfe (3) 501. @Merci380 (3): 88 #Texans

htownfan32
11-11-2012, 01:47 AM
Merci's got more sacks, but he's also been used more situationally than Irvin, Wolfe, or Jones. That's probably accounting for the lower sack-to-snaps ratio there.

mussop
12-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Braman in the pro bowl?

Hahahahaha...

:cowboy1:

El Tejano
12-27-2012, 09:47 AM

I see you bringing up old stuff!! LOL!!!

Rey
12-27-2012, 09:55 AM

I voted for him...He didn't make it...

Still can if someone gets hurt or doesn't go...

mussop
12-27-2012, 01:21 PM
I voted for him...He didn't make it...

Still can if someone gets hurt or doesn't go...

Hahahahahaha

Alternate is good enough for me. :brando: