PDA

View Full Version : JJ Watt down in practice Update: Arm/elbow Injury

TejasTom
08-02-2012, 09:58 AM
JJ Watt went down in practice today. Trainers huddled around him for about a minute. He got up walked around, got on a cart and went inside.

alphajoker
08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
SR610 reporting its an arm injury

ThaShark316
08-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Elbow injury according to Nick Scurfield.

gtexan02
08-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Why....

jaayteetx
08-02-2012, 10:16 AM
wtf? seriousness?

HTown2ATX
08-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Probably just dinged up.....have to wait for Kubes to address the media...

HOU-TEX
08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Probably just dinged up.....have to wait for Kubes to address the media...

It'll likely be after the afternoon practice. So, once again, everyone keep them fingers crossed

BrandonLwowski
08-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Can this camp get anymore terrifying...andre...brown....watt WTH:overreact:

Texn4life
08-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Brooks was taken of the field by trainers too this morning. Training camp starting to take its toll. Very happy its only the first week though. Get all of these out of the way early.

jaayteetx
08-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Hate this time of the year, the only news you hear is often bad.

hobie
08-02-2012, 10:32 AM
It's happening to all teams.. I understand the need for TC, but too many people get hurt far too often...Next guy up I guess will be the motto again this season if it comes down to it .

srrono
08-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Andre Johnson on JJ Watt: "From what I知 hearing, it痴 not season-ending. I think he値l be out there with us on game 1."

This is turning into a really hard week.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Brooks was taken of the field by trainers too this morning. Training camp starting to take its toll. Very happy its only the first week though. Get all of these out of the way early.

Brooks being taken off was heat related. So, likely no issue there

nero THE zero
08-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Andre Johnson on JJ Watt: "From what I知 hearing, it痴 not * expletive deleted*. I think he値l be out there with us on game 1."

This is turning into a really hard week.

FTFY.

Jesus. Anyone know where to purchase bubble wrap in bulk?

MidtownMikey
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Brandon Brooks was taken off the field for heat related issues, so doesn't look like a real issue there. On Twitter it sounds like Kubiak said Watt should be ready for sure by the first regular season game.

Still makes me wonder if that means it is a month long injury. While by now I'd be in favor of keeping out our biggest stars from the preseason due to injury concerns (Andre, Schaub, Barwin, Watt, Foster, Cushing, JoJo don't need preseason), it is one thing for a player to be able to play coming back from an injury 4 weeks later.

My real hope is Watt would be at 100% come regular season. Guess we should know more this afternoon, and I'll be at the training camp tomorrow morning.

Texn4life
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Brooks being taken off was heat related. So, likely no issue there

That's definitely good to hear. And if Watt is out there week 1 thats all we can ask for.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I keep hearing people say he'll be ready by week 1. If I had to guess the injury it'd be a partial dislocation? Given the time table's around 4 weeks. Unless they're just guessing.

Dutchrudder
08-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Can this camp get anymore terrifying...andre...brown....watt WTH:overreact:

Every team has injuries during camp. It happens. The Colts lost Ben Ijalana for the season during practice this week. He was a 2nd round pick just a year ago. Chargers are having issues with LT Gaither, Meachem got a knee injury, Ryan Matthews was in a car accident. Stuff happens.

Chargers injury thread: http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=94604

Raven's TE Pitta has a broken hand, needs surgery:
http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/47666-pitta-broken-hand/

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Haloti Ngata has been placed on the active physically unable to perform list, per a league source.

Ben Roethlisberger has a partial tear his throwing arm's rotator cuff.

and on and on and on...

TejasTom
08-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Watt's happened on a run play. There was a big pile and he was on bottom.

Cjeremy635
08-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I get what some are saying about a few guys not needing camp, but I don't know how that will transalate for being ready for game time speed and just jelling with the group. Also, Schaub is going to need as much help as he can get since he missed some of last season. I think his timing and confidence needs to be spot on for game 1. All you can do is keep your fingers crossed that what injuries do happen aren't season threatening. It's part of the game. Sucks, but that's the reality.

Vinnie
08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Geez, I guess it's a good thing we open the season against the Dolphins and Jags.

srrono
08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Well this should give Jared Crick some valuable minutes in preseason.

chicagotexan2
08-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Damn can't they just practice on Madden 13? Hopefully we can make it thru camp without losing too many players.

Nawzer
08-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I wish we could just skip training camp and do it like in the Matrix. Make the entire experience virtual and mentally prepare for the season. Have the entire experience downloaded in the course of a few minutes.

Texn4life
08-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I get what some are saying about a few guys not needing camp, but I don't know how that will transalate for being ready for game time speed and just jelling with the group. Also, Schaub is going to need as much help as he can get since he missed some of last season. I think his timing and confidence needs to be spot on for game 1. All you can do is keep your fingers crossed that what injuries do happen aren't season threatening. It's part of the game. Sucks, but that's the reality.

Yeah, you can't practice by playing flag football. These things happen when you have contact. Watt is hoss so I don't question his ability to be able to recover quickly.,

gwallaia
08-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Every team has injuries during camp. It happens. The Colts lost Ben Ijalana for the season during practice this week. He was a 2nd round pick just a year ago. Chargers are having issues with LT Gaither, Meachem got a knee injury, Ryan Matthews was in a car accident. Stuff happens.

Yeah, but I don't care about other teams having injury problems. I only care about the Texans having injury problems. :overreact:

SAMURAITEXAN
08-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Hope, he will be fine and 100% by start of the regular season. Please be 100%!!!

Go Texans!!!

Yankee_In_TX
08-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Elbow injury according to Nick Scurfield.

Yeah, when it happened Nick Wright said something about 'the guy that just walked off holding his elbow' and Scurfield quickly interjected 'but since this is a closed practice we won't be talking about him.'

LOL, almost a big oops @ Wright.

gtexan02
08-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Why would AJ even mention something about season ending unless it was pretty serious? Wow, this could be bad

Brisco_County
08-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Why would AJ even mention something about season ending unless it was pretty serious? Wow, this could be bad

He probably has as little information as the rest of us, and wants to eliminate worst case scenarios.

Rey
08-02-2012, 12:23 PM
He probably has as little information as the rest of us, and wants to eliminate worst case scenarios.

I doubt Andre knows as little as we do.

I'm thinking the injury is probably going to take some time to heal. Based off of how kubiak sounded and andres comments.

Of course I could be completely wrong. I haven't had any formal training in reading verbal cues.

:king:

Marcus
08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Kubiak talks about it...

Audio (http://cbshouston.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/kubiak-aug-2-am.mp3)

Chance_C
08-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Watching the Cincy game again right now, and you guessed it I just watched the pick 6 again. Man, I hope he is ok. He is quickly becoming one of my many favorite Texans

IDEXAN
08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
These injuries are hitting our very best, not just starters but the best of our best. Dang, why can't we have a couple 2nd or third teamers bite the dust instead of Andre, Duane, & Watt ?

TexansFanatic
08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
I thought Uncle Wade was known for his Camp Cupcake. WTF?

HOU-TEX
08-02-2012, 01:20 PM

Which is why I think it's some sort of dislocation. Nothing major, but rest and rehab will be needed. Again, just a guess

Heath Shuler
08-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Adversity makes you stronger. I will be on the field against the Dolphins. Better than ever. #BullsOnParade

JJ Watt ‏@JJWatt

Brisco_County
08-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Adversity makes you stronger. I will be on the field against the Dolphins. Better than ever. #BullsOnParade

Which means he's missing preseason.

Thorn
08-02-2012, 01:56 PM
* heavy sigh *

08-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Which means he's missing preseason.

Personally, I'd be very happy to see him sit out of meaningless games.

DonnyMost
08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
This (http://awesomegifs.com/2011/08/crab-like-i-give-a-fck/) is how I see JJ responding to a hyper-extended elbow.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2012, 02:49 PM
More reason to make me think dislocation.

From Antonio:

的 just saw him fall. When I壇 seen him fall, I looked over and he made a noise. I went to go check on him and his elbow looked like something was wrong with it.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Thursday-Camp-Practice/882908bf-d6c9-4d8a-8b1b-587874559cf5

GP
08-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I think what is going on in every camp, every year, with the fluke injuries is that guys are not accustomed to playing. Sure, they can life weights and run and condition, but they're not throwing their arms around and not engaging a player across from them.

So they are all having to get back into the swing of what that's like and how it affects their body which is having to re-train itself in the form and function of "playing football."

Maybe teams shouldn't let their guys "go at it" too fast right away. Maybe they need to do more half-speed stuff for longer periods of time. I know that sounds wussy'ish, but maybe these guys need time to get their joints and their ligaments accustomed to being torque'd and manipulated.

With MMA fighters, they are always rolling, always sparring, always engaging guys day in and day out. Maybe guys in the NFL need to find ways to keep their bodies in football shape via actual contact (even if it's lower paced, etc.).

False Start
08-02-2012, 03:08 PM
I really hope this doesnt cause him to miss significant time. The dude is a big time part of this D.

If it does turn out to be bad.... I'm not being sarcastic here:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/florida-1.gif

HOU-TEX
08-02-2012, 03:19 PM
From Schefter.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

Football: Texans DE J.J. Watt dislocated his elbow today. Texans doctors popped it back in and Watt expected to not miss much time.

Ryan
08-02-2012, 03:19 PM
From Adam Schefter via Twitter/FB:

Texans DE J.J. Watt dislocated his elbow today. Texans doctors popped his elbow back in and Watt is expected not to miss much practice time.

We escaped again it looks like.

The Medic01
08-02-2012, 03:20 PM
:hurrah:

Nuff said

HOU-TEX
08-02-2012, 03:28 PM
How it happened. Oweee

Said Watt's already begun rehab

Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield

Kubiak said all tests on Watt were fine. Had his arm extended during practice & another player ran into the back of it

Dutchrudder
08-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Rajon Rondo is roughly half the man that JJ Watt is and he played against the Heat a couple days after dislocating his elbow. I'm sure JJ will be fine by week 1, which is about 5 weeks away.

HOU-TEX
08-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Rajon Rondo is roughly half the man that JJ Watt is and he played against the Heat a couple days after dislocating his elbow. I'm sure JJ will be fine by week 1, which is about 5 weeks away.

Berman said it'd be around 10 days to 2 weeks. Sounds like Kubiak might keep him out even longer

If Antonio has any say...

P.D. Starr‏@PHABMK6

Antonio Smith said he is not letting Watt back on the field to early. "I'm the big brother, and what I say goes." #Texans

TEXANRED
08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
JJ Watt went down in practice today. Trainers huddled around him for about a minute. He got up walked around, got on a cart and went inside.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad236/TEXANRED/luke-skywalker-nooooo1.jpg

The Medic01
08-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Berman said it'd be around 10 days to 2 weeks. Sounds like Kubiak might keep him out even longer

If Antonio has any say...

The ninja hath spoken. It shall be as he commands. (hopefully)

The Medic01
08-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Love how you always post this after the good news comes out.

Wolf6151
08-02-2012, 04:24 PM

This is exactly how I felt when I heard it on the radio. The Texans are determined to give Texans fans a heart attack. Can we please stop with the B.S. injuries to star players.

gwallaia
08-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Paging CloakNNDagger. Paging CloakNNDagger.

GP
08-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Thank you, Football Jesus, for healing our players and limiting the extent of their injuries. Woot woot!

drs23
08-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Thank you, Football Jesus, for healing our players and limiting the extent of their injuries. Woot woot!

Timmy had a healing hand in this? :kitten::kitten:

TheMatrix31
08-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Please be okay.

OR, for the love of God, someone who ISN'T critical to this team get hurt instead! Goodness!

ThaShark316
08-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Couple days? He played the next half, lol.

Like Watt, Rondo is a mutant.

False Start
08-02-2012, 06:55 PM
From Adam Schefter via Twitter/FB:

Texans DE J.J. Watt dislocated his elbow today. Texans doctors popped his elbow back in and Watt is expected not to miss much practice time.

We escaped again it looks like.

:yes:

HJam72
08-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Chargers injury thread: http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=94604

Raven's TE Pitta has a broken hand, needs surgery:
http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/47666-pitta-broken-hand/

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Haloti Ngata has been placed on the active physically unable to perform list, per a league source.

Ben Roethlisberger has a partial tear his throwing arm's rotator cuff.

and on and on and on...

You see what happens. You wear these people out in camp and they can't drive home. Don't drive overheated.

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Paging CloakNNDagger. Paging CloakNNDagger.

When the elbow is dislocated posteriorly this can be either partial (also known as a subluxation) or complete. With a partial dislocation the joint surfaces are separated by a small distance with little or no deformity readily apparent and usually reduce (return to their normal position) either instantly or with very little help. A complete dislocation occurs when the joint surfaces are considerably separated and can require a manual reduction maneuver by a doctor, as apparently was reported in the case of JJ.

With a partial elbow dislocation, there is seldom significant stretching of the ligaments or nerves or permanent functional loss. With a complete dislocation, this cannot be said.......especially if an accompanying fracture is involved (something that does not seem to be the case.

With what little information has been made available, my best thoughts would be for his elbow, depending on the extent of the injury, to be immobilized anywhere from 1-3 weeks, then range of motion exercises to hopefully regain full motion, then muscle strengthening rehab to give optimal stabilization of the joint. It is likely that he will return to play anywhere from 3-6 weeks with an elbow support. Keep in mind that the elbow is the 2nd most common MAJOR joint to sustain dislocation. It is a heck of a sturdy joint and it took a heck of a force to dislocate it in the first place.

Normal alignment after the elbow has been reduced:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/figures/A00029F04.jpg

Partial elbow dislocation (subluxation):
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/figures/A00029F03.jpg

A complete elbow dislocation:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/figures/A00029F02.jpg

Brisco_County
08-02-2012, 09:05 PM
So yeah, we dodged a bullet.

Will he have any issues in the future because of stretched ligaments? Any speculation on the odds of some nerve damage?

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2012, 10:25 PM
So yeah, we dodged a bullet.

Will he have any issues in the future because of stretched ligaments? Any speculation on the odds of some nerve damage?

Sorry. but that's all the potential projections I can make with the present level of information. Ligament status (stability) and neurovascular status (strength/sensation) is something that will be evaluated at intervals during his rehab, but I doubt that this will be shared with the outside world, unless something is grossly obvious. It would be interesting to know if JJ is left-handed, as this injury tends to be a little longer rehab if the dominant arm is involved.

steelbtexan
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Sorry. but that's all the potential projections I can make with the present level of information. Ligament status (stability) and neurovascular status (strength/sensation) is something that will be evaluated at intervals during his rehab, but I doubt that this will be shared with the outside world, unless something is grossly obvious. It would be interesting to know if JJ is left-handed, as this injury tends to be a little longer rehab if the dominant arm is involved.

Thanks for the info Doc,

Looks like JJ is really iffy for week one. I just hope they dont rush him back and JJ plays at 70/80% like they did with MW/AJ.

Texan_Bill
08-02-2012, 10:53 PM
When the elbow is dislocated posteriorly this can be either partial (also known as a subluxation) or complete. With a partial dislocation the joint surfaces are separated by a small distance with little or no deformity readily apparent and usually reduce (return to their normal position) either instantly or with very little help. A complete dislocation occurs when the joint surfaces are considerably separated and can require a manual reduction maneuver by a doctor, as apparently was reported in the case of JJ.

With a partial elbow dislocation, there is seldom significant stretching of the ligaments or nerves or permanent functional loss. With a complete dislocation, this cannot be said.......especially if an accompanying fracture is involved (something that does not seem to be the case.

With what little information has been made available, my best thoughts would be for his elbow, depending on the extent of the injury, to be immobilized anywhere from 1-3 weeks, then range of motion exercises to hopefully regain full motion, then muscle strengthening rehab to give optimal stabilization of the joint. It is likely that he will return to play anywhere from 3-6 weeks with an elbow support. Keep in mind that the elbow is the 2nd most common MAJOR joint to sustain dislocation. It is a heck of a sturdy joint and it took a heck of a force to dislocate it in the first place.

Normal alignment after the elbow has been reduced:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/figures/A00029F04.jpg

Partial elbow dislocation (subluxation):
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/figures/A00029F03.jpg

A complete elbow dislocation:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/figures/A00029F02.jpg

Stop it Doc Sean... That stuff freaks me out!! I cringe everytime that I see things that just aren't right!!

See, my right shoulder...

TejasTom
08-03-2012, 07:30 AM
...It would be interesting to know if JJ is left-handed, as this injury tends to be a little longer rehab if the dominant arm is involved.

He signs autographs with his right hand.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2012, 07:48 AM
He signs autographs with his right hand.

Thanks for the info. Could be a small plus.

BullBlitz
08-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Geez, I guess it's a good thing we open the season against the Dolphins and Jags.

Yes. Those are wins for sure.

Brisco_County
08-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Texans defensive end J.J. Watt was at practice on Friday with a sling on his left arm, holding his dislocated left elbow in place.

的 walked in the training room this morning at five minutes after 5, and he was already there, Kubiak said. 典hat痴 J.J. He痴 going to be banging to get on this field as quick as possible, but we池e going to do the right thing, get him to opening day full-speed. Hopefully, that means he痴 playing a little bit in the preseason toward the end, but if that痴 not the case, I知 going to do what痴 right. But he is gonna be back.

Watt痴 injury occurred on a play in which he had his left arm fully extended to tackle running back Arian Foster. Contact with Foster pushed his arm back while a defensive teammate ran into the back of his arm, pushing his elbow forward.

From the story at houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/JJ-Watt-hates-watching-practice-already-attacking-rehab/90430ca4-17d6-4c3f-bc2b-ef2042050d31), which includes some details about the athletic trainer popping it back in.

Playing in at least one pre-season game would be helpful for getting into football shape, so he's doing everything possible to get to that point.

After he was injured on Thursday, Watt received thousands of messages from fans via social media with well-wishes for his recovery. He was greeted to a roaring cheer from the crowd at the Methodist Training Center on Friday when he walked on to the field around 8:30 a.m.

的t痴 awesome, Watt said. 展e have unbelievable fans. They池e amazing. I really appreciate them, all their support on Twitter, on Facebook, everything, so I知 grinding to get back out here for them, too. They池e so important to us, I want to get back out there for them.

Geez I love this guy.

BullBlitz
08-03-2012, 04:50 PM
From the story at houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/JJ-Watt-hates-watching-practice-already-attacking-rehab/90430ca4-17d6-4c3f-bc2b-ef2042050d31), which includes some details about the athletic trainer popping it back in.

Playing in at least one pre-season game would be helpful for getting into football shape, so he's doing everything possible to get to that point.

Geez I love this guy.

It sounds like Kubiak has some serious doubts about him playing before the regular season. That means he could possibly miss the opener. It's too early to know for sure right now.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Rondo played that game essentially with his left arm braced and dangling. He dribbled and shot with his right hand and protected his left arm. Luckily, he was right-handed. The situation is different in that in basketball he was able to get by with a legs and right-handed only performance. That is not something that JJ would be able to pull off in a football-type arena. BTW, two months following his injury, Rondo reported that he was experiencing some range of motion limitation and significant ongoing pain and joint swelling. Three months following his injury:

"Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo said he still has swelling in his injured left elbow, but noted he has full range of motion and doesn't expect it to be a major issue moving forward. Rondo, appearing at a Red Bull event celebrating renovations at Malcolm X Park, admitted he can't participate in full-contact basketball activities quite yet, but is making progress." link (http://www.celticsblog.com/2011/8/2/2340967/rondo-has-full-range-of-motion-still-swelling)

Brisco_County
08-04-2012, 01:00 PM
It sounds like Kubiak has some serious doubts about him playing before the regular season. That means he could possibly miss the opener. It's too early to know for sure right now.

September 9th is four days short of the six week recovery period cited by CnD. If we were talking about most other players, I would say that the odds are good that player would miss that game. But JJ is much like Andre: Someone has to hide his helmet to keep him off the field. In five weeks, he'll be recovered enough to where the medical staff will have to rely on JJ's own feedback to determine if he's ready to play. What do you think he's going to tell them?

‏@JJWatt

TexanCR
08-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I'll say keep him out of the Dolphins game and play him on a snap count against the jags ONLY if the game if close.

A couple of extra weeks of healing can do wonders for this type of injury. We need JJ to be as heathly as possible against the big guys (Packers, Ravens, Pats).

Just my two cents.

TexansBull
08-04-2012, 05:53 PM
I'll say keep him out of the Dolphins game and play him on a snap count against the jags ONLY if the game if close.

A couple of extra weeks of healing can do wonders for this type of injury. We need JJ to be as heathly as possible against the big guys (Packers, Ravens, Pats).

Just my two cents.

That sounds logical. Aren't we undefeated against the dolphins on opening day? Or did we lose 1?

infantrycak
08-04-2012, 06:01 PM
That sounds logical. Aren't we undefeated against the dolphins on opening day? Or did we lose 1?

We are undefeated against the Dolphins period. 6-0 record.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2012, 09:28 PM
If the Phins' field is in as poor shape as it usually is, I would consider having anyone rehabbing an injury far far away if possible.:kitten:

Brisco_County
08-04-2012, 09:58 PM

Dolphins fans know the record well. They even lost to us the year we were 2-14.

TexanCR
08-04-2012, 10:08 PM
If the Phins' field is in as poor shape as it usually is, I would consider having anyone rehabbing an injury far far away if possible.:kitten:

The game is at Reliant CnD :)

The Medic01
08-04-2012, 10:13 PM

And how is that better?
:kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2012, 11:36 PM

That's somewhat of a relief.

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2012, 12:05 AM
And how is that better?
:kitten:

Well, being the 1st regular season at home, I would expect all the grass pods to be new and "perfectly" aligned........I hope.....

alphajoker
08-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I would imagine that's a good thing if he's doing push-ups. What say thee CNd?

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on DE J.J. Watt痴 injury) 滴e痴 doing excellent. He was doing some push-ups in the training room yesterday. We knew that. He痴 so driven in everything he does. He痴 so upbeat because he knows he痴 going to be ready to go and we値l see where we池e at here as we get to the middle of the preseason. Hopefully he can come back and play some of the preseason. But obviously the goal is to have him ready for Miami.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Monday-practice/2ca515b6-ea5a-4503-b164-10b6baae55d9

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2012, 09:01 PM
I just don't want him trying to do too much too soon.

CloakNNNdagger
08-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I would imagine that's a good thing if he's doing push-ups. What say thee CNd?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Monday-practice/2ca515b6-ea5a-4503-b164-10b6baae55d9

All I'm going to say is that even in most partial dislocations (which this was not described as such), splint or sling immobilization is typically carried out for at least a week. After that, range of motion exercises. Then, strengthening phase which begins with exercise beginning with gentle supporting muscle exercises to regain full range of motion, graduating to regain full strength. Then power exercises when muscles are at full strength. Push ups for a 288 lb man on the 4th day? Something appears to be wrong with the reporting of the injury or the rehab regimen.

GP
08-07-2012, 08:13 AM
All I'm going to say is that even in most partial dislocations (which this was not described as such), splint or sling immobilization is typically carried out for at least a week. After that, range of motion exercises. Then, strengthening phase which begins with exercise beginning with gentle supporting muscle exercises to regain full range of motion, graduating to regain full strength. Then power exercises when muscles are at full strength. Push ups for a 288 lb man on the 4th day? Something appears to be wrong with the reporting of the injury or the rehab regimen.

Unfortunately, the drive to succeed seems to drive the player to accelerate a comeback sooner than what's best for him.

The result: Risk of re-injury or risk of compensating injury.

The environment of team locker rooms has been, and always will be, one of high expectations. Players have it of themselves, and fans have those expectations. Coaches too. Etc.

Instead of Kubiak speaking in glowing terms of JJ doing pushups...I wish he would have said something to the effect of "I told him we'd fine him $250 if we caught him doing that again. He needs to rest it, not prove something."

Oh well. Maybe it was not a severe dislocation.

NitroGSXR
08-07-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't really care what optimism that CnD or Rondo have to say about it. This is NOT a minimal injury. This hurts. He will be out for a while and hopefully not permanently injured like I am (torn rotator cuff but started with a dislocation). I am definitely worried. Maybe he will DeMeco it and wear that gigantic thing he wore last year.

rmartin65
08-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I don't really care what optimism that CnD or Rondo have to say about it. This is NOT a minimal injury. This hurts. He will be out for a while and hopefully not permanently injured like I am (torn rotator cuff but started with a dislocation). I am definitely worried. Maybe he will DeMeco it and wear that gigantic thing he wore last year.

You are right in that it is not a minor injury, but Watt does have access to some of the finest medical care in advice in the world. I wager that pro athletes can and do recover faster than the average person.

I am cautious, but I think Watt will be fine.

CloakNNNdagger
08-07-2012, 09:20 AM

I'm not sure where you may have gotten the impression that I believe that this is a minimal injury. Just the opposite. The description of the injury reflects a complete dislocation. If this is so, it implies significant ligament damage. We haven't and probably will not receive any comments as to what if any nerve stretch effects may have occured. All of this in mind certainly is why I would have to question a rehab at this time which includes push ups (even if it were only a partial dislocation). I've seen examples of "uncomplicated" dislocations where too intense rehab too soon have ended up doubling an expected 3-6 week return to play. This is not to even touch upon the potential compensatory injury factor.

badboy
08-07-2012, 09:30 AM
All I'm going to say is that even in most partial dislocations (which this was not described as such), splint or sling immobilization is typically carried out for at least a week. After that, range of motion exercises. Then, strengthening phase which begins with exercise beginning with gentle supporting muscle exercises to regain full range of motion, graduating to regain full strength. Then power exercises when muscles are at full strength. Push ups for a 288 lb man on the 4th day? Something appears to be wrong with the reporting of the injury or the rehab regimen.I am not a doctor ( I have stayed in Holiday Inn Express) but agree with you 100%. I think is a lot of pressure for players to get back on field quickly, even if that pressure is from the player. The next two weeks off can only help Watt.

NitroGSXR
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure where you may have gotten the impression that I believe that this is a minimal injury. Just the opposite. The description of the injury reflects a complete dislocation. If this is so, it implies significant ligament damage. We haven't and probably will not receive any comments as to what if any nerve stretch effects may have occured. All of this in mind certainly is why I would have to question a rehab at this time which includes push ups (even if it were only a partial dislocation). I've seen examples of "uncomplicated" dislocations where too intense rehab too soon have ended up doubling an expected 3-6 week return to play. This is not to even touch upon the potential compensatory injury factor.

:fostering:

Please accept my apologies. I misunderstood. I read it the other way. I absolutely agree with you.

:handshake:

Brisco_County
08-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Looks like the Texans staff have their own philosophy for rehabbing this injury.

Defensive end J.J. Watt (dislocated elbow) is still out, but he is no longer wearing a sling on his left arm.

Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Nicks-Notes-Competition-remains-tight-at-OL-K/b854b6aa-2ec7-4e13-a292-27696dd98787).

I understand wanting to expedite the timeframe, but it seems they're taking an unnecessary risk. It's not like this injury and the path to recovery is not well documented. It's frustrating.

Yankee_In_TX
08-08-2012, 01:41 PM
He was on the jugs machine catching balls 1 handed today.

DocBar
08-08-2012, 02:06 PM
He was on the jugs machine catching balls 1 handed today.Could you imagine him lined up at TE in a jumbo package? That would be freakin' awesome!!!

On a side note, I hope they don't screw up his rehab with stuff like this and pushups. Dislocated anything, beyond fingers and toes, is pretty serious.

Brisco_County
08-08-2012, 02:37 PM
He was on the jugs machine catching balls 1 handed today.

Have you been attended the practices this year?

TejasTom
08-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Have you been attended the practices this year?

On the radio this morning, Nick Wright said "There is a player on the jugs machine and he has dropped 3 of 9 balls so far."

I think great, what now?

Then Nick said, "It is JJ Watt catching balls with one hand. He dropped the first 3 then caught 6 in a row"

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Looks like a right-handed Rondo imitation I described in a previous post..... left arm braced and dangling.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2012/08/WATT2-306x203.jpg

J.J. Watt tries a new skill at camp as he recover (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/j-j-watt-tries-a-new-skill-at-camp-as-he-recovers/)s
August 8, 2012

He can’t partake in normal defensive end activities just yet, so J.J. Watt worked on another skill during today’s practice.

For a good portion of practice Watt caught footballs from the jugs machine with his right hand. Didn’t drop many, either. At one point he caught 50 in a row.

“We know he can catch them, that’s for sure,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said.

That much was clear during that spectacular pick six against the Bengals in the first game of last year’s playoffs. Texans coach Gary Kubiak said with a smile he just hopes Watt is practicing interceptions, because he won’t be catching passes from quarterback Matt Schaub.

badboy
08-10-2012, 11:56 AM
well i'd be dang near tickled if he was a TE but he is not.

DX-TEX
08-10-2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.sportsgeekery.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/jj-watt-2.gif

Put that man at TE on goal line!!

Thorn
08-10-2012, 11:59 AM
man, I love watching that play. 100% total pure grade awesomeness.

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2012, 01:35 PM
man, I love watching that play. 100% total pure grade awesomeness.

It's like watching that Jessica Biel booty gif.

Except different.