PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know Ben Jones

Cush
08-01-2012, 10:06 AM
My Uncle is a professor at Georgia and is involved in the Athletic Department as well. At our family reunion earlier this month he was raving about how good of a kid Ben Jones is and how good of a pick it will turn out to be for the Texans.

He's one of our picks from this year that has not received as much attention as some of the others, so here's some info.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/965337-georgia-football-ben-jones-is-the-unsung-hero-of-the-bulldogs-football-program

BrandonLwowski
08-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Minus well call with Smith because he has been a ninja this entire offseason. After draft day i have heard very few updates about his guy

beerlover
08-01-2012, 10:59 AM
He will be a starter in this league when he gets his shot. His versatility will reflect more value than most centers as well, compared to Caldwell who is currently starting RG he has more Brisel characteristics so if needed could fill in either guard position as well. Smart, competitive with quickness to be quite effective in ZBS.

Wolf6151
08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm thinking the Texans cut Wade Smith to save money at the end of this season and Ben Jones starts at LG or RG in the 2013 season. Our 2013 starting Guards might be Jones and Brooks.

Corrosion
08-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Minus well call with Smith because he has been a ninja this entire offseason. After draft day i have heard very few updates about his guy

Offensive linemen never get much run ..... the less you hear about them , the better cause when you do hear their name called , its usually -10 yards.

DexmanC
08-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Offensive linemen never get much run ..... the less you hear about them , the better cause when you do hear their name called , its usually -10 yards.

That's what Eric Winston was known for his last two seasons here. Sometimes
the -10 came with a flag, but most often it came with Schaub on his back.

It got him a radio show, though. So who knows... :sarcasm: <kinda>

badboy
08-01-2012, 09:03 PM
I'd like to see Jones replace Myers 2013. Myers, Joseph and Antonio Smith's caps are heavy. So is Schaub's but only for one year. Hopefully all 3 can be reduced in 2013.

painekiller
08-01-2012, 09:27 PM
He will be a starter in this league when he gets his shot. His versatility will reflect more value than most centers as well, compared to Caldwell who is currently starting RG he has more Brisel characteristics so if needed could fill in either guard position as well. Smart, competitive with quickness to be quite effective in ZBS.

I would add he plays with a mean streak. He is violent with his blocks in the one on one and two on two.

Which I like a lot

HJam72
08-02-2012, 08:20 AM
He's going to have to be awefully good to replace Myers, especially that quickly. Not doubting he's a good player with talent, but...

76Texan
08-02-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking the Texans cut Wade Smith to save money at the end of this season and Ben Jones starts at LG or RG in the 2013 season. Our 2013 starting Guards might be Jones and Brooks.

I agree; I think this is a good possibility.

But Ben Jones still needs to hone his skills.

I also think that Shelley Smith will give the current crop at Guard a run for their money.

Wolf6151
08-03-2012, 02:31 AM
I also think that Shelley Smith will give the current crop at Guard a run for their money.

You know S. Smith looked really good in some preseason games a couple years ago but then just dropped off the radar entirely. Many folks, myself included, thought highly of him and thought he'd be getting some serious playing time by now. I'm not sure what Smith's problem is but when you consider the Jones pick, the future's not looking good for Smith. Anyone know what's up with him? Injury, personal issues, motivational issues, physical conditioning? The same things can be said and questions asked of Garrett Graham-TE.