PDA

View Full Version : Titan player attempts suicide

Cerberus
07-30-2012, 10:24 AM
It is sad that someone should feel so depressed or desperate that they resort to taking their own life.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/30/report-titans-o-j-murdock-attempted-suicide-in-critical-condition/

Hope O.J. recovers, and turns things around both mentally and emotionally.

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2012, 10:28 AM
That's so sad.

The article has updated to say that he's passed away.

Playoffs
07-30-2012, 10:44 AM
R.I.P. Orenthal James Murdock.

Tennessee Titans wide receiver O.J. Murdock committed suicide this morning in front of the Tampa high school he graduated from, according to the Tampa Police Department. He was 25 years old.

Cerberus
07-30-2012, 11:16 AM
That's so sad.

The article has updated to say that he's passed away.

I just saw that. Very sad.

Hookem Horns
07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
R.I.P. Orenthal James Murdock.

Sad, it should have been the other Orenthal James.

Hervoyel
07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
For some reason this brought Jeff Alm to mind. RIP and condolences to his family.

Hookem Horns
07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
For some reason this brought Jeff Alm to mind. RIP and condolences to his family.

Very weird how that turned out ... if what later "came out" was true.

powda
07-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Very weird how that turned out ... if what later "came out" was true.

Dont want to derail the suicide thread but what was the actual circumstance related to alm? Heard he was gay based on his death but never more. Was younger when that happened and never really heard.

NitroGSXR
07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Dont want to derail the suicide thread but what was the actual circumstance related to alm? Heard he was gay based on his death but never more. Was younger when that happened and never really heard.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jeff+alm+

It's an urban legend. One that I wish was put to rest.

RIP Jeff Alm.

powda
07-30-2012, 07:49 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jeff+alm+

It's an urban legend. One that I wish was put to rest.

RIP Jeff Alm.

Thanks nitro

TEXANRED
07-30-2012, 10:30 PM

According to witness, Alm and his best friend, Sean P. Lynch, had dinner at a Houston-area steakhouse on December 13, 1993. At 2:45 a.m. Central Standard Time the following day, Almís Cadillac lost control heading south on Intrastate 610 southbound at the 59 north exit ramp and Lynch was thrown out of the car through the passenger window to his death. Alm had been speeding and lost control of his 1993 Cadillac Eldorado on a curved exit ramp. After the crash Alm ran across the ramp and looked down an embankment towards the Southwest Freeway, discovering that his boyhood friend had been thrown to his death 30 feet below. Apparently distraught by his best friendís death, Alm took out a pistol grip shotgun, fired two shots into the air and then shot himself in the head.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Alm

badboy
07-30-2012, 10:38 PM
What a sad thing.

JCTexan
07-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Sad to hear. R.I.P.

Showtime100
07-30-2012, 11:56 PM
R.I.P. OJ Murdock. At these times I always wonder just what it was that brought a person to that point.

Condolences to his family and loved ones.

HoustonFrog
07-31-2012, 07:15 AM
He sent a text to his old coach. I wish he would have reached out to a few more people. So sad!

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/07/30/4139333/nfl-notes-titans-receiver-texted.html

Hours after sending a gracious yet puzzling middle-of-the-night text message to a former college coach, police said Tennessee Titans receiver O.J. Murdock died in an apparent suicide.

A Tampa, Fla., police spokeswoman said officers found Murdock about 8:30 a.m. inside his car with what appeared to be self-inflicted gunshot wounds. The car was parked in front of Middleton High School, where Murdock made a name for himself as a dynamic receiver and state champion sprinter in track and field.

Al McCray, assistant head coach/receivers at Fort Hays State, said when he woke up at his Kansas home on Monday he found a message on his cellphone from the player thanking him for everything he had done for Murdock and his family. The athlete concluded the text with an apology that baffled McCray, who said he had known the 25-year-old since Murdock was in middle school.

"I spoke to him a week ago, and he was so excited about getting ready to go [to training camp]. He was real happy about being able to help his mother out," McCray recalled.

"The hardest part about this is I got a text at 3:30 in the morning, where he said: 'Coach, I want to thank you for everything you've done for me and my family. It's greatly appreciated.' At the end, he goes: 'I apologize.' And I don't know what he's talking about. I woke up, and I'm thinking he's apologizing because he texted me so early. ... I wish he had called instead."