PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Hagar
07-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Training Camp Live just anounced that AJ pulled up in a 1-on-1 drill. They think its a minor groin injury.

TexansBull
07-29-2012, 11:14 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkAwdmWFuxtecAPQYTtaDJ3LnFyEZG5 TsOfdE6g9OfOyAvkAiY0A

b0ng
07-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin.

Hardcore Texan
07-29-2012, 11:15 AM
DAMN!!!!!! :brickwall:

jaayteetx
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkAwdmWFuxtecAPQYTtaDJ3LnFyEZG5 TsOfdE6g9OfOyAvkAiY0A

my sentiments exactly

Hardcore Texan
Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin.

Hopefully he'll be fine. At least it's not his hammy I guess.

False Start
07-29-2012, 11:17 AM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/florida-1.gif

MannyFresh
07-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Can we swallow our pride and forget about "character talk" and make a business decision and get Plaxico at least for the season?

TexansFanatic
07-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Andre Johnson tweaked his groin during a 1-on-1 drill Sunday morning, but is expected to be fine within a few days.
Coach Gary Kubiak is "not too concerned" and shutting him down for the day was simply a precautionary measure. Johnson, 31, deserves an injury red flag after missing 12 games due to injury over the last two seasons, but his upside makes him worth a look in the second round of your draft. Jul 29 - 11:37 AM
Source: Steph Stradley on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1575/andre-johnson

BSofA04
07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Bummer. Someone get AJ his own stretching coach. This **** is getting old!

Heath Shuler
07-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Kubiak talks about it:

http://youtu.be/JgurLK8pf9o

Porky
07-29-2012, 11:34 AM
When are we going to talk about the elephant in the living room? This is no longer a "freak" accident thing. The guy's got MAJOR issues with hamstrings, groins, and other tendons, and has for 2-3 years and it's only going to get worse with age. It's only a matter of time before he goes down again. If he plays 16 games this year, I'll eat my shorts.

Is it time to propose the "Hakeem" rule? Get what you can for him while his trade value remains high. I HATE the idea too, so don't throw maters but at what point do we cut our losses and move on. The guy is a walking injury waiting to happen and he doesn't help the team standing on the sideline with a towel over his head. :kitten:

TexansFanatic
07-29-2012, 11:40 AM
When are we going to talk about the elephant in the living room? This is no longer a "freak" accident thing. The guy's got MAJOR issues with hamstrings, groins, and other tendons, and has for 2-3 years and it's only going to get worse with age. It's only a matter of time before he goes down again. If he plays 16 games this year, I'll eat my shorts.

I hate to agree, but I do. The dude is on the wrong side of 30 and while he's still an amazing player when he's 100%, he's not 100% very often any more.

I sure hope those young WRs pan out.

Imatexanfan
07-29-2012, 11:41 AM
I agree 100% the fact every little thing he does now he gets injured makes me sick to my stomach. AJ is not going to be able to play the full 16 games this season and then postseason as well if he is already having problems.

We seriously need to address this situation before it gets worse.

Goldensilence
07-29-2012, 11:41 AM
While I don't think it's time for a panic alert this should be a genuine concern for the coaching staff.

We're a snap away from our WR corps looking like this:

A #2 who hasn't been an effective #2 in several years now in KW

2 rookies with mixed OTAs and Mini camp results. I have heard Martin has done well, while Posey struggled.

A second year UDFA coming of a IR year in Lestar Jean.

Bryant Johnson.

drunkcookie
07-29-2012, 11:43 AM

Is it time to propose the "Hakeem" rule? Get what you can for him while his trade value remains high. I HATE the idea too, so don't throw maters but at what point do we cut our losses and move on. The guy is a walking injury waiting to happen and he doesn't help the team standing on the sideline with a towel over his head. :kitten:

For sure a warranted opinion

TexansBull
07-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Valid concern but I would wait to see how the rest of the season plays out before going nuclear with a Hakeem like trade (Stevie Fanchise and Cuttino Mobley...is that all we got?)

He had hamsting issues last year 2011. The year before 2010 it was his ankle. 2007 it was an MCL/PCL. 2005 it was his calf or knee.

I think he has had a bad string of years. He does have 2-3 year shelf life in high level production. But the team as a whole has the same shelf life before losing key players because of contract extensions, free agency and age.

I say just wait because this injury seems to be more minor than anything.

MEGA SWATT
07-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Plaxico. Good day.

BullBlitz
07-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Training Camp Live just anounced that AJ pulled up in a 1-on-1 drill. They think its a minor groin injury.

2 days? Even I thought he'd make it a little longer than that. But I never bought the reports that he was ready to play, because with those injuries you don't know until you go full speed.

Hey Rick, how many more muscle and tendon injuries from Andre do we need to see before you start taking this seriously?

Lucky
07-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Is it time to propose the "Hakeem" rule? Get what you can for him while his trade value remains high.

http://welldonefillet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/overreaction1.jpg

What exactly is the "Hakeem Rule"? The Rockets wanted Olajuwon to retire, and traded him as a courtesy to Hakeem.

Texn4life
07-29-2012, 12:24 PM
I said months ago that we need to sign a vet who can actually make plays on the field. These Bryant Johnson type signings don't accomplish that. The reality is AJ is most likely going to miss some regular season games and the team is going to count on KW being our best wideout again? I've gained confidence in the front office the past few years, but this is one area where their stubbornness is getting the best of them. Bite the bullet and get a real, quality wideout in here. There are 3 guys who come to mind immediately. Any one of those guys i'll be happy with.

Doppelganger
07-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Braylon Edwards
Patrick Crayton
Mark Clayton
Plaxico Burress

Not a lot of good FA options out there. I could consider Clayton. Edwards was injured last year. Crayton was iffy. Burress is solely a red zone target at this point.

Houston_Fanatic
07-29-2012, 01:02 PM
I keep having this sinking feeling the AJ era is over....... and this does not help.

I hope I am wrong and just over-reacting.

:overreact:

Lucky
07-29-2012, 01:08 PM
I keep having this sinking feeling the AJ era is over....... and this does not help.

I hope I am wrong and just over-reacting.
I don't know if you're wrong. But, I do know you are overreacting. It's just a slight groin pull that Johnson probably would have played through, had it been a regular season game.

drunkcookie
07-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't know if you're wrong. But, I do know you are overreacting. It's just a slight groin pull that Johnson probably would have played through, had it been a regular season game.

You're right: it is just a groin! Almost every player experiences this at some point and even multiple times, but are able to perform fine.. but seeing who it is and how many problems they've had with their legs the past couple of seasons it's not a complete overreaction...we'll see...

ATRAIN
07-29-2012, 01:17 PM
I dont think AJ will miss any games but that being said. Doesnt the guy train during the off season. I hope this opens up the front office's eyes to our need for a good vet that will get the job done in case AJ isnt ready. Does anyone know how our rooks are progressing? What is the WR depth chart look like so far? KW is still our number 2 so far right?

Texans_Chick
07-29-2012, 01:19 PM

Yeah, Kubiak didn't seem overly alarmed, and if it was really really bad, he wouldn't have likely stood with teammates for the rest of practice.

They are being super careful with him. As you would want.

Before that, he looked very AJ.

The way I'm thinking about this year is system offense. If you have AJ it is gravy and all is well in the world. They just need to learn up the youngins fast.

Schaub doesn't do the indoor turf practices. Walter gathered the young receivers after practice and took them outside to be with Schaub after the closed part of the practice.

Texn4life
07-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Yeah, Kubiak didn't seem overly alarmed, and if it was really really bad, he wouldn't have likely stood with teammates for the rest of practice.

Before that, he looked very AJ.

The way I'm thinking about this year is system offense. If you have AJ it is gravy and all is well in the world. They just need to learn up the youngins fast.

Schaub doesn't do the indoor turf practices. Walter gathered the young receivers after practice and took them outside to be with Schaub after the closed part of the practice.

I think a system offense can work in certain situations where you have sub-par receivers but it doesn't happen often. The Patriots were able to win for years without a truly great wideout. Troy Brown and Branch were probably their best receivers during their championship era, but they also have a top 5 all time QB.

drunkcookie
07-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Schaub doesn't do the indoor turf practices.....

Sorry if I've missed it, but do you know how long they plan to keep it that way? Obviously there is a concern with the turf and his foot, just wondering about a time-frame or any other comments you have on that...

EllisUnit
07-29-2012, 01:45 PM
AJ will be fine, on the other hand i havent heard of any of our rookies standing out, and jean has looked average at best

Lucky
07-29-2012, 01:48 PM
AJ will be fine, on the other hand i havent heard of any of our rookies standing out, and jean has looked average at best
It might be too early to make assessments on the WRs not named Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter. At least after two abbreviated practices. Let's wait until they've had 3 or even 4 practices.

drunkcookie
07-29-2012, 01:52 PM

Have heard Martin has made a good impression...

Thorn
07-29-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't think it's an over reaction at all to be worried about the health of AJ and/or Schaub. They are major concerns. The QB and WR positions on our team are tenuous and the slightest little thing going wrong makes both positions a major cause of concern.

We are in very good shape in the RB position, pretty good at TE, probably OK on the line, but the QB and WR positions can go from good to disastrous at the drop of a hat.

rush2112mn
07-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah....and Brian Cushing had to be streched out during practice too......with a trainer.......wonder if he was cramping?

rush2112mn
07-29-2012, 02:34 PM
They should have a "perimeter" around Schaub......if you get within 5 feet a alarm goes off...."Back off now".....lol

drunkcookie
07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
They should have a "perimeter" around Schaub......if you get within 5 feet a alarm goes off...."Back off now".....lol

let's make it five "yards"! If Schaub's under center, defense lines up four yards off ball...

Texans_Chick
07-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Sorry if I've missed it, but do you know how long they plan to keep it that way? Obviously there is a concern with the turf and his foot, just wondering about a time-frame or any other comments you have on that...

They don't a lot of the vets on the turf who have had injury histories--like Schaub, Daniels, Barwin. They give extra work to young guys. Mercilus is benefiting from this, for example. They don't do that much work inside anyways. Most done outdoors. Basically, if a guy knows his job, they don't want him inside on the turf.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2012, 02:42 PM
It might be too early to make assessments on the WRs not named Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter. At least after two abbreviated practices. Let's wait until they've had 3 or even 4 practices.

Yes.

This.

About a lot of guys.

IDEXAN
07-29-2012, 02:45 PM
HOUSTON -- Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson left Sunday morning's practice with a pulled groin muscle, but coach Gary Kubiak says the injury doesn't appear significant.
Johnson missed nine games last season with hamstring injuries and was sidelined from the first organized team activities in the spring after arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. The five-time Pro Bowl selection started Sunday morning's practice and pulled up during a one-on-one drill.
"We don't think it's anything significant," Kubiak said. "Obviously, Andre's worked so dang hard to get back and get back on the field full speed, so it's disappointing. But I don't think we're staring at anything significant."
"We'll be smart with him," Kubiak said. "We want him out here as quickly as possible. I'm not too concerned, from what I'm hearing."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8211285/houston-texans-andre-johnson-hurts-groin-leaves-practice
ESPN already all over this story. Will it move the odds in Vegas ?

TEXANRED
07-29-2012, 02:50 PM
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad236/TEXANRED/luke-skywalker-nooooo1.jpg

NitroGSXR
07-29-2012, 03:19 PM

Kubiak is never alarmed. He issues the same gol-durn statement every time. Always with an unknown return timetable as well.

Kubiak expects Johnson to miss "a few" practices, though he couldn't set a timeline.

Oh yeah, don't forget the Texans mishandling the Tate injury two years ago.

BCRich
07-29-2012, 03:26 PM
I said months ago that we need to sign a vet who can actually make plays on the field. These Bryant Johnson type signings don't accomplish that. The reality is AJ is most likely going to miss some regular season games and the team is going to count on KW being our best wideout again? I've gained confidence in the front office the past few years, but this is one area where their stubbornness is getting the best of them. Bite the bullet and get a real, quality wideout in here. There are 3 guys who come to mind immediately. Any one of those guys i'll be happy with.

Bryant Johnson couldn't beat KDub for a spot on game day. Why go through that experience again?

We need a WR who is a better #2 option than KDub.

Let's let the FO look at the guy, let the coaches work him out. If he's got the tools, then it's up to them to get the most out of him on game day... if they sign him.

If they don't sign him, no big deal. But the object right now should be to get someone who can supplant Kevin Walter at the #2 spot. KDub isn't so bad that we have to "take what we can get" but it shouldn't stop us from kicking the tires on Roy Williams either.

Neither were brought in to replace KW. They're coming in for depth and to compete for a roster spot. "If he's got the tools"? Dude's been in the league for 8 years now. If he hasn't shown that he has the tools yet, he ain't going to. It doesn't take a FO to determine which of the two would fit best. Plus, this is a friggin message board, where people make observations and state opinions.

Signed Bryant Johnson again. Jippie.

Well I guess if we're going to sign a camp body at WR he was going to probably be cheaper.

I just don't see the point really. Johnson did absolutely nothing noteworthy last year and he had a BIG opportunity to make a splash. He didn't even make a ripple.

I am really hoping one of the rookies or Lestar makes a real big impact, because if they don't, we have to really hope AJ is healthy all year.

Texan4life Obviously you and I just don't see the big picture. KDub & the rookie receivers will do fine.

Texn4life
07-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Texan4life Obviously you and I just don't see the big picture. KDub & the rookie receivers will do fine.

I see the big picture perfectly. This is the NFL and right now we're only focused on this season. In the NFL there aren't many times where rookies step in and produce at receiver right away. It usually takes them a year or 2 to acclimate to the league. There is nothing to suggest that any of the young guys will be "just fine".

Now going to Kevin Walter there is a reason that he took a pay cut this year. While he still has relaible hands the guy can't beat man coverage anymore. If Andre is out for a significant time, Kevin Walter will be far and away the worst number 1 receiver on any team in the league. We can all sit here and say "oh these guys are gonna be great". But as of right now its false optomism and we don't have anything to base it on. I "hope" they will step up, but the FO is taking a huge risk in the hope.

kingh99
07-29-2012, 03:50 PM
It's like watching Yao Ming (not) come back.

BCRich
07-29-2012, 03:56 PM
I see the big picture perfectly.

Kevin Walter will be far and away the worst number 1 receiver on any team in the league. We can all sit here and say "oh these guys are gonna be great".

Sure we can.

I'm saying obviously you and I are missing something. No one is looking for anyone (other than the rookies) to beat out Kevin Walter. That should have been painfully obvious when they resigned Bryant Johnson, who couldn't take playing time from Jacoby. The Texans don't even expect KDub to step up when Aj is out. They expected Jacoby Jones to fill that role, they expect one of the rookies to fill that role.

Maybe if we were allowed at OTAs, or if we were there at TC, sitting in on team meetings. Maybe then we'd feel as confident as the Texans do.

BCRich
07-29-2012, 03:58 PM
It's like watching Yao Ming (not) come back.

Or McGrady, Bosseli, Joppru, Hollings, Davis......

par for the course.

Nawzer
07-29-2012, 04:02 PM
I don't trust Kubiak's injury assessment at all. The guy is capable of downplaying Ebola as if it was a common cold. Too bad about AJ though. Hope he can play most of the season, but it's unlikely IMO. I wish they would sign another veteran who has had success like Plaxico.

BCRich
07-29-2012, 04:10 PM
I don't trust Kubiak's injury assessment at all. The guy is capable of downplaying Ebola as if it was a common cold. Too bad about AJ though. Hope he can play most of the season, but it's unlikely IMO. I wish they would sign another veteran who has had success like Plaxico.

FYI, just heard on NFLN that they'll hold AJ out of practice for the next few days, simply as a precautionary measure.

chicagotexan2
07-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Braylon Edwards
Patrick Crayton
Mark Clayton
Plaxico Burress

Not a lot of good FA options out there. I could consider Clayton. Edwards was injured last year. Crayton was iffy. Burress is solely a red zone target at this point.

I'd looks at Edwards. People the ny jets don't care about character and they dropped plaxico because he showed nothing. I wish the steelers would trade Tate for Wallace. I mean Wallace for Tate.

PapaL
07-29-2012, 05:19 PM
I'd looks at Edwards. People the ny jets don't care about character and they dropped plaxico because he showed nothing. I wish the steelers would trade Tate for Wallace. I mean Wallace for Tate.

What's that say about Edwards? They dropped him to get Plax! And then SF dropped Edwards mid season...at a position of need.

Neither are gonna set the world on fire.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Kuharsky (http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8211285/houston-texans-andre-johnson-suffers-mild-groin-strain-practice) reports:

Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson says he'll miss "a week or so" after a minor groin injury in the team's second morning practice.

Johnson fell awkwardly running a route on Sunday morning and had an MRI exam later in the day that showed a "mild strain."

"It just tightened up on me," the five-time Pro Bowl receiver said. "I had hit the ground pretty hard, stretching out for a ball. That was pretty much it."

Johnson missed nine regular-season games last season with hamstring injuries and was sidelined from the first organized team activities in the spring after arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

"Nothing that I'm not used to, doing rehab," Johnson said. "It's very frustrating, but it happens, man. I wish I had some control over it. Unfortunately, I don't."

Rey
07-29-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm expecting dre to miss time at some point (or maybe multiple points) next season.

I think we're going to carry 6 wr's.

eriadoc
07-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't know how to react, but I do feel like the guy can't run down the field without "tweaking" something (whatever the hell that means).

Playoffs
07-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Is it time to propose the "Hakeem" rule? Get what you can for him while his trade value remains high...
No.

Andre is a Texan for life. I don't care about what others do now. Texans remain loyal to their best evers.

The Medic01
07-29-2012, 06:45 PM
He hasn't been playing for 6 months. Not worried really just a slight groin tweak.

GP
07-29-2012, 07:02 PM
I love the people who are "not worried." And the ones who say he won't miss time this year??? Riiiiight.

It's going to be an ongoing problem.

And people don't have to be a super fan by trying to display loyalty to the point that this issue with AJ's legs gets marginalized. It's going. To be. A problem.

McNair will have AJ all the way to AJ's retirement. Logically, McNair must have the greatest Texans player (ever) to remain here as a lifer...as a standout that all of us can look up to and recall the good that the Texans did to draft him AND have him retire here.

Dude is beast. He isn't going anywhere and we're going to have to be content to get somewhere around 10 to 12 games out of him.

HJam72
07-29-2012, 07:15 PM
This. Is. Not. Good.

Before every practice and game, the man needs somebody to really stretch out his groin.

ATXtexanfan
07-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Damaged goods. We just gotta deal with it. Man I hope the youngsters at wr grow up quick.

chicagotexan2
07-29-2012, 07:24 PM
What's that say about Edwards? They dropped him to get Plax! And then SF dropped Edwards mid season...at a position of need.

Neither are gonna set the world on fire.

Dang forgot about that. Unless a trade for good wr can be made they'll have roll with all the young guys on the roster because I dont think Walter will contribute a whole lot.

CretorFrigg
07-29-2012, 08:17 PM
The injury might not be serious, but let's face it -- AJ is injury prone.

MannyFresh
07-29-2012, 08:32 PM
No.

Andre is a Texan for life. I don't care about what others do now. Texans remain loyal to their best evers.

Or if your name is Jacoby. :whip:

TexanCR
07-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Damaged goods. We just gotta deal with it. Man I hope the youngsters at wr grow up quick.

No, sorry no. Rick Smith shows no loyalty at all but even him will not trade AJ, he is the heart and soul of this team.

AJ at 70% is 100% more productive than the rest of WRs that we have on the team so it doesnt make sense to trade your best player.

Take care of him and hope for the best regarding his health, we need him in more than one way. He is a real Texan and he should be for life.

Lucky
07-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I love the people who are "not worried." And the ones who say he won't miss time this year??? Riiiiight.

It's going to be an ongoing problem.
I don't know if anyone is saying Johnson for sure won't miss time this season. How could they know? Just as you don't know for sure that "it's going to be an ongoing problem."

I don't know if it can be said that Andre is "injury prone". He's missed 22 games over 9 seasons (9 coming last season). But, it can be said he has injury concerns. Pulling a groin this early in camp is bound to create overreaction. TBD whether the real issues (knee, hamstring) rear their head.

TexansBlood
07-29-2012, 09:27 PM
All those who think AJ health is not an issue is being NAIVE! Wake up ppl(and it hurts my soul to type this)

badboy
07-29-2012, 09:33 PM
A 70 % player on the weakest area of team, but no worries. Right? Not panicking but we better have a plan and I do not see one unless it's throwing a whole bunch more to RBs and TEs. Maybe OD will go to ProBowl

TexansBlood
07-29-2012, 09:36 PM
A 70 % player on the weakest area of team, but no worries. Right? Not panicking but we better have a plan and I do not see one unless it's throwing a whole bunch more to RBs and TEs. Maybe OD will go to ProBowl

Hey we got plenty rookie wr w no NFL catches to pass to:foottap:

badboy
07-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Well, another heart attack season to watch.

TEXANRED
07-29-2012, 09:50 PM
No.

Be prepared to be disappointed. AJ will not finish his career as a Texan if he continues to get hurt every season.

AJ makes a boat load of money and Rick Smith will not continue to pay a guy to stand around on the sideline being hurt.

Hervoyel
07-29-2012, 09:53 PM
It's time to call in Jobu

http://beardylollipop.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/jobu.jpg

GP
07-29-2012, 09:57 PM
I don't know if anyone is saying Johnson for sure won't miss time this season. How could they know? Just as you don't know for sure that "it's going to be an ongoing problem."

I don't know if it can be said that Andre is "injury prone". He's missed 22 games over 9 seasons (9 coming last season). But, it can be said he has injury concerns. Pulling a groin this early in camp is bound to create overreaction. TBD whether the real issues (knee, hamstring) rear their head.

It's one thing for a young guy like Foster to have groin and/or hammie problems (maybe some rust from being out due to lockout, etc.)

It's another thing to have it occur from years of wear and tear.

Whether its to be termed "injury prone" or "injury concern" is trivial. What's important is that he is sitting out after like 1 day of camp already.

So he rests and comes back...and maybe three days or four days after the return to camp he pulls up a little bit with a lower body problem. No sweat, just needs rest and he can play a possession or two in a preseason game, just go through the motions (as we do everything BUT target him in those possessions).

Then it'll be "Well, he made it through preseason. Let's sit him the last two games. Save him for when it counts."

(Stop me here if I've already pegged it).

And a game or two or three into Reg Season he pulls up gimpy (or God forbid blows something in his other leg due to what CND said about other parts compensating for the previously weakened body part).

We are inclined to believe the show will go on forever with our larger-than-life stars like AJ. I tend to cringe when I see him break a big gain...because I'm of the belief that he's reaching the end, against his will. And against our will, as well.

This is the only part I hate about following my Texans: The day that always comes when they can't go like they used to...and it hurts quadruple with Andre Johnson.

But hey, he could be fine. I damn sure hope so. But the patterns are not reassuring with how we know he likes to play the game vs. the setbacks he's had recently.

NastyNate
07-29-2012, 10:22 PM
I take it none of you have pulled your groin before. Heck I pulled mine today for like half an hour, felt great.

All kidding aside, a groin pull is at most a 4 day recovery. I've tweaked mine several times through football, MMA, and running. It's a quick recovery, no big deal. If this were a calf, hamstring, knee, etc, then I'd be worried. Lighten up guys. He'll be fine.

eriadoc
07-29-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't know if it can be said that Andre is "injury prone".

He's missed more games since Schaub has been here than Schaub has, yet people label Schaub injury prone all the time. And while Schaub's injuries have resulted from things like giant men running into and/or landing on him, AJ's injuries have resulted from running over those mischievous yard line markers. So I don't know what makes someone injury prone, but he's more injury prone than Schaub, as a point of reference.

Texn4life
07-29-2012, 10:30 PM
I take it none of you have pulled your groin before. Heck I pulled mine today for like half an hour, felt great.

All kidding aside, a groin pull is at most a 4 day recovery. I've tweaked mine several times through football, MMA, and running. It's a quick recovery, no big deal. If this were a calf, hamstring, knee, etc, then I'd be worried. Lighten up guys. He'll be fine.

I don't think anyone is particularly freaked out by this one injury. Its that a pattern is starting to emerge with AJ and his injuries. Something a friend mentioned to me earlier that I think may be correct is that Andre may want to slim down some. It may help avoid some of these pulls and strains from popping up.

Ladainian Tomlinson said that the older he got the less weight he wanted to carry. His body style was completely different when he retired than it was when he came into the league. Andre is big for a receiver. Losing about 10 pounds or so may take a little stress off of his body.

Marcus
07-29-2012, 11:03 PM
No, sorry no. Rick Smith shows no loyalty at all but even him will not trade AJ, he is the heart and soul of this team.

AJ at 70% is 100% more productive than the rest of WRs that we have on the team so it doesnt make sense to trade your best player.

Take care of him and hope for the best regarding his health, we need him in more than one way. He is a real Texan and he should be for life.

Now, how silly is that?

This "heart and soul of the team" stuff is only in the minds of the fans. Anyone who thinks Rick Smith thinks AJ "is a real Texan and should be here for life", must have been hibernating at the South Pole this past offseason.

TexansBull
07-29-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't think anyone is particularly freaked out by this one injury. Its that a pattern is starting to emerge with AJ and his injuries. Something a friend mentioned to me earlier that I think may be correct is that Andre may want to slim down some. It may help avoid some of these pulls and strains from popping up.

Ladainian Tomlinson said that the older he got the less weight he wanted to carry. His body style was completely different when he retired than it was when he came into the league. Andre is big for a receiver. Losing about 10 pounds or so may take a little stress off of his body.

One of the better ideas. Have him lose weight before trading him away.

Lucky
07-29-2012, 11:20 PM
So I don't know what makes someone injury prone, but he's more injury prone than Schaub, as a point of reference.
AJ's injuries in previous seasons were also the result of direct hits. I don't necessarily see Johnson's injuries as a sure sign of his body breaking down. My concerns about Johnson and Schaub revolves around their ability to bounce back from these injuries. We've seen Johnson return to the field and have 2 productive playoff games. I don't think he was 100%, but he was productive. Some fans seem to forget that.

It's one thing for a young guy like Foster to have groin and/or hammie problems (maybe some rust from being out due to lockout, etc.)

It's another thing to have it occur from years of wear and tear.

Whether its to be termed "injury prone" or "injury concern" is trivial. What's important is that he is sitting out after like 1 day of camp already.

Conjecture. Rank speculation. Blah blah blah.
When you go off into Never-Never Land, your posts become unreadable. The Kreskin act wears paper thin.

I could search on Foster's hammy and probably find you overreacting to that. In fact, I know I could. Sitting out a few training camp practices doesn't trump Johnson's playoff performances or signify the end of a career. Johnson could have a career ending injury this season. He could miss half the season. He could go for another 1500 yard season and be named to the Pro Bowl for the 6th time. There are no tea leaves out there to suggest an outcome with any certainty.

Goldensilence
07-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Over-reacting or now big deal, either way one thing is bound to be sure for everyone, all eyes will be on this young trio of WRs until AJ gets back on the practice field.

GP
07-29-2012, 11:34 PM

You need to read CnD's posts on this issue.

AJ will suffer compensating injuries such as groin, more hammie issues, knee issues, all because his hamstring is weakened from having a portion of it removed from the bone.

He explains it better, but there's no doubt that lower body issues will be a constant threat all year long. He'll never be out of the woods.

If we get at least 10 to 12 games out of him in 2012, I'll be happy.

NastyNate
07-30-2012, 01:02 AM
You need to read CnD's posts on this issue.

AJ will suffer compensating injuries such as groin, more hammie issues, knee issues, all because his hamstring is weakened from having a portion of it removed from the bone.

He explains it better, but there's no doubt that lower body issues will be a constant threat all year long. He'll never be out of the woods.

If we get at least 10 to 12 games out of him in 2012, I'll be happy.

I greatly respect CND and appreciate his input on the issue, after tearing my MCL twice and having a bunch of other issues from years of grappling/fighting/other sports, I know how long groin injuries take to heal. If this were the regular season he would play next game. I'm not worried about it one iota.

NitroGSXR
07-30-2012, 01:05 AM

You're going to have to tell me all about your MMA experiences when we meet up for the game. Being a large man, I presume you're a ground attack kinda guy?

infantrycak
07-30-2012, 01:06 AM
I greatly respect CND and appreciate his input on the issue, after tearing my MCL twice and having a bunch of other issues from years of grappling/fighting/other sports, I know how long groin injuries take to heal. If this were the regular season he would play next game. I'm not worried about it one iota.

To be fair, CnD did not say AJ "will" suffer compensatory injuries as GP puts out - he said there is a danger of compensatory injuries. And when he made the comment it was about hamstrings not groins although I would presume there is a danger with basically any injury to a leg to have a compensatory injury.

NastyNate
07-30-2012, 01:46 AM
You're going to have to tell me all about your MMA experiences when we meet up for the game. Being a large man, I presume you're a ground attack kinda guy?

I love it all. I trained under Ben Pryne and Lou Faralan up in the NW and when I moved down here trained with Sam Hogar with MFS until Miletich and Hogar split. So a healthy mix of traditional BJJ and catch wrestling with a lot of Muay Thai focus. Spent some time with the Washington state freestyle wrestling team, went up to Surrey BC, down to Seattle, all over. Even trained at the old team quest in Biersch Oregon a few times.

Got quite a few stories, we'll chat all about it at the game Mikey.

Nate

Thorn
07-30-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm expecting dre to miss time at some point (or maybe multiple points) next season.

I think we're going to carry 6 wr's.

I don't expect AJ to be in more than 10 games this season. However, if he can still be AJ in those 10 games, I'll take it any day of the week over a bunch of unknown rookies.

GP
07-30-2012, 08:12 AM

The point is not about this incident.

The point is that it'll always be something, consistently, so today it's the groin...several weeks later it's the knee...then a quad...etc.

ckhouston
07-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Minor glitch.

AJ will start all 16, the playoffs, and the SB.

Cjeremy635
07-30-2012, 09:02 AM

The point is that it'll always be something, consistently, so today it's the groin...several weeks later it's the knee...then a quad...etc.

Exactly. It's a tough reality for everyone to swallow, but it is what it is. AJ is aging and he's not in his prime anymore. I'm concerned that the FO hasn't already had someone on the roster to groom for the future # 1 spot. Everyone and their brother knew that Jacoby wasn't going to be that guy. He never had # 1 potential. The fact that AJ is our only option at this point is concerning, to say the least. Maybe one of the new kids will be able to step up, but it won't be this season. Hopefully AJ will be able to somehow remain in pretty good playing shape throughout the season. I just don't like the odds.

I think it has nothing to do with his current level of conditioning either. You have to look at him like a prized thoroughbred. They both get optimum nutrition and training. They both are only able to compete at that elite level for so long. We just have a hard time letting go of our human athletes because we relate to them on another level. I hope the guy the best and I'm hoping he proves me wrong, but I think it's about time to put him out to pasture.

2012Champs
07-30-2012, 09:31 AM
He's missed more games since Schaub has been here than Schaub has, yet people label Schaub injury prone all the time. And while Schaub's injuries have resulted from things like giant men running into and/or landing on him, AJ's injuries have resulted from running over those mischievous yard line markers. So I don't know what makes someone injury prone, but he's more injury prone than Schaub, as a point of reference.

Great point. I think overall Schaub isnt as big of a favorite as AJ and because of this people give AJ a pass while bagging on Schaub

ckhouston
07-30-2012, 09:50 AM

BS.

Complete over-reaction.

AJ is strong and fast and those types of athletes tend to see injuries more because they are working so hard at being strong and fast. If you never work the muscle it probably wont get strained. If you work the hell out of it you stand a better chance at having an issue.

He will be fine.

The Texans will be fine.

Super Bowl 2013!

ckhouston
07-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Great point. I think overall Schaub isnt as big of a favorite as AJ and because of this people give AJ a pass while bagging on Schaub

Maybe because AJ is the best receiver to ever play in this city, and Schaub isn't even a top three QB in this city.

Rey
07-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Aj is injury prone at this point. And said it about shammy and I'll say it about dre, if you won't call him injury probe he's at least prone to being injured.

I think aj is just injury prone though.

Cjeremy635
07-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Aj is injury prone at this point. And said it about shammy and I'll say it about dre, if you won't call him injury probe he's at least prone to being injured.

I think aj is just injury prone though.

You gotta be careful about that. There's a whole thread on that and Chik-Fil-A in the NSZ, don't bring up "probing" over here, LOL. :cool:

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Until I see AJ out there for all 19 games (regular season + playoffs) this season, I'll be worried about him.

There's a lot of "stepping up" that needs to happen in our WR corps this year even if AJ doesn't have any health issues. And I expect AJ to have health issues and miss at least a few games.

GP
07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
You need to see the NFL forum.

A new thread is started over there. Apparently Jerry Jones said he wants the Cowboys to return to the "GLORY HOLE years they enjoyed in the past." I **** you not. Go read the thread. He really, really goofed up in an interview.

Cjeremy635
07-30-2012, 10:35 AM

A new thread is started over there. Apparently Jerry Jones said he wants the Cowboys to return to the "GLORY HOLE years they enjoyed in the past." I **** you not. Go read the thread. He really, really goofed up in an interview.

I heard that on 94.5 this morning on my drive in to work. I lol'd when they played the audio clip, over & over & over again.

The Medic01
07-30-2012, 10:36 AM

Link? I can't find it.

Cjeremy635
07-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Link? I can't find it.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1987106#post1987106

Rey
07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
You gotta be careful about that. There's a whole thread on that and Chik-Fil-A in the NSZ, don't bring up "probing" over here, LOL. :cool:

LOL....nice catch

silvrhand
07-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Major difference in injuries I would say, the bulk of his injuries seem to be training/conditioning issue. What's going on did he pick up a new trainer or routine or does he need to adjust his routine now that he's a bit older/different injuries?

2012Champs
07-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Major difference in injuries I would say, the bulk of his injuries seem to be training/conditioning issue. What's going on did he pick up a new trainer or routine or does he need to adjust his routine now that he's a bit older/different injuries?

The difference in AJ going down on his own twice last year and again in training camp on his own are a lot different than having somone else break a bone in your foot and thus AJ should catch more crap for it but does because it is liked more overall. Im pretty sure this has a lot less to do with who is training AJ than it does with AJ getting older

BCRich
07-30-2012, 11:15 AM
I'll admit, that I over reacted a bit. & I know missing 22 games over a 9 year career (144 games; 15%) isn't a big deal. But we're talking about 12 of the last 34 (Counting play-offs, 35%) & he isn't getting any younger.

But this issue goes back several years, highlighted by last offseason. We were finally in a position to add some talent to the offense. No offense to KDub, but when Andre is out nobody (that I know of) is satisfied with KDub as the highest guy on our WR pecking order. That's a problem that has needed to change for a while. I know we tried with JJ.. good effort, just didn't work out & not working out is part of the game.

Now this has nothing to do with not being able to retain Mario Williams, I'm over that. But in my mind, that is the reason we weren't able to target a first round talent at WR. Maybe our FO didn't think there was a first round talent worth getting. The way the draft played out, I'm good with that. But then to trade out of the 2nd that's my biggest issue.

So we got Devier (sp) & KMart. Are they true second round talents? I don't know. But I'm thinking the chances of getting a true second round talent are greater, if you pick that guy in the first or the second round. Expecting Devier & Keshawn to outplay their draft status is really loading the cart on the wrong side. IMO.

We're all lucky that I'm not running this team, I'll say that much. I'd have already signed Roy Williams or Plaxico Burress. Heck, I would have sold the farm to get Ocho Cinco (or is it Chad Johnson??). Right now, I'd be desperate & talking to the player we love to hate... yep, that guy.

[/rant]

Texecutioner
07-30-2012, 06:10 PM
None of this would be that big of an issue if our GM that hates free agency hadn't ignored the huge need at WR that we've had for the last 3 seasons. We have failed to address the problem and anyone who isn't brain dead knows exactly how bad this offense turns once AJ isn't out there anymore.

This may not be a big deal, but it also could be. WHo knows at this point, but this kind of thing just keeps on happening to AJ, and this franchise keeps on ignoring the glaring need we have at WR. Anyone thinking that KW is a legit #2 WR in this league needs their head examined.

Nawzer
07-30-2012, 06:26 PM
None of this would be that big of an issue if our GM that hates free agency hadn't ignored the huge need at WR that we've had for the last 3 seasons. We have failed to address the problem and anyone who isn't brain dead knows exactly how bad this offense turns once AJ isn't out there anymore.

This may not be a big deal, but it also could be. WHo knows at this point, but this kind of thing just keeps on happening to AJ, and this franchise keeps on ignoring the glaring need we have at WR. Anyone thinking that KW is a legit #2 WR in this league needs their head examined.

Well at least our jobs are not on the line if this team regresses this year. Oh wait, these guys got a new contract this year.

EllisUnit
07-30-2012, 07:22 PM

Not really fair TBH. I remember no AJ and us still easily scoring at will, we were still destroying defenses.... Drumroll..... Until schaub went down. I do agree we need another WR but our O was still good last season with schaub as QB and no AJ

Big Lou
07-31-2012, 09:19 AM
AJ's gonna have to take a pay cut so we can trade or sign someone decent if he wants a ring. The guy deserves his pay from the years we sucked (I think he sacrificed his body over the years the way he played the game), but if its more about the ring than the check something has to give.

AJ is the best Texan to ever wear the jersey in my opinion, and I want him to retire as a Texan, but there needs to be more production per dollar. When he's healthy he is still the best (agaim in my opinion), but he hasn't been completely healthy the last couple of years.

GP
07-31-2012, 09:27 AM

Cant address every need in one or two drafts.

We had a sucky defense that needed to be built up properly. They've tried to do that--via the previous d-coord, and failed--so they went back to the well with Wade Phillips (and he succeeded).

This draft, Kubiak went after some WR talent. Again, the Texans felt the best option in round 1 was a guy for Wade's defense. I suppose they didn't feel there was a potential Second Coming of Andre Johnson in round 1 to be had at our position in round 1...so they went defense because a guy was there whom Wade and Rick didn't think would still be there.

I get the frustration. I do. But in all fairness, this offense has a better shot at winning without guys like Schaub/AJ than other AFC South teams have with all of their starters out there. We're riding a crest of a wave that has taken a awhile to build, and other teams are sort of trying to find their identities and are struggling a bit.

My best-case scenario is to let AJ play out the next two years, then go after a better/younger WR1 in free agency that can be paid AJ'ish money. Though I seriously doubt McNair is going to EVER let AJ walk away from us. It's a damned-if-we-do, damned-if-we-don't situation, IMO.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2012, 09:47 AM
My best-case scenario is to let AJ play out the next two years, then go after a better/younger WR1 in free agency that can be paid AJ'ish money. Though I seriously doubt McNair is going to EVER let AJ walk away from us. It's a damned-if-we-do, damned-if-we-don't situation, IMO.

What I'm expecting is that we have AJ in spots and we've got to hope we've got him at his best at the right times. But I don't expect any more full seasons from him. I don't expect him to be our down-in and down-out #1 target anymore.

Whether McNair is going to allow Rick to ditch AJ is the question. I don't know if he will. I hope AJ gets to play out the rest of his career here and I hope he continues to shine when he gets his opportunity.

But I think we've got to find someone to be the real main #1 threat soon and the way we've drafted and went about free agency, we're gambling on it being in this crop of young receivers. I hope that pans out but if we're drafting WR in the first round next year, it's not going to be good.

steelbtexan
07-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Fact,

Gary/Rick let AJ play on a bad hamstring last yr to save their jobs and now those chickens are coming home to roost.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Fact,

Gary/Rick let AJ play on a bad hamstring last yr to save their jobs and now those chickens are coming home to roost.

This is the same AJ whose helmet they had to hide to keep him off the field against the Niners a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it was AJ who gave the medical staff bad information about how hurt he was because he thought he could play through it.

2012Champs
07-31-2012, 11:02 AM
This is the same AJ whose helmet they had to hide to keep him off the field against the Niners a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it was AJ who gave the medical staff bad information about how hurt he was because he thought he could play through it.

Im sorry but if you are a coach or manager and resort to such childish acts to get your employees to comply with what you want you are piss poor at your job.

SheTexan
07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Im sorry but if you are a coach or manager and resort to such childish acts to get your employees to comply with what you want you are piss poor at your job.

Not so! These are GROWN men we're talking about, not "kids!" At some point in time these GROWN men need to act like it and not expect their coach or manager to be their babysitter.

badboy
07-31-2012, 11:38 AM
As our roster has strengthened, team will be able to correct this issue in draft.

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2012, 11:41 AM

There are good, SB winning coaches who've had their big-name players go back onto the field against their wishes. I believe it's happened to Holmgren with Farve and I know it happened to George Allen with Billy Kilmer and I think I recall it happening to Coach Gibbs with Doug Williams. I'm not positive but I think I recall it happening to Chuck Noll with one of those guys on the Steel Curtain.

It's really easy for a starter to insert himself back into the lineup. He just has to run out there and tell one of the other guys to get off the field.

The Medic01
07-31-2012, 11:50 AM
There are good, SB winning coaches who've had their big-name players go back onto the field against their wishes. I believe it's happened to Holmgren with Farve and I know it happened to George Allen with Billy Kilmer and I think I recall it happening to Coach Gibbs with Doug Williams. I'm not positive but I think I recall it happening to Chuck Noll with one of those guys on the Steel Curtain.

It's really easy for a starter to insert himself back into the lineup. He just has to run out there and tell one of the other guys to get off the field.

And no third string receiver is going to say no to Andre.

infantrycak
07-31-2012, 12:31 PM

Yup. Staubach went onto the field several times against Landry's wishes as well.

In general those players were admired for their grit but apparently they all just had poor coaches.

Coaches don't have time for prolonged arguments in the middle of the game and as you say nobody is stopping a star from just running onto the field.

michaelm
07-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I love it all. I trained under Ben Pryne and Lou Faralan up in the NW and when I moved down here trained with Sam Hogar with MFS until Miletich and Hogar split. So a healthy mix of traditional BJJ and catch wrestling with a lot of Muay Thai focus. Spent some time with the Washington state freestyle wrestling team, went up to Surrey BC, down to Seattle, all over. Even trained at the old team quest in Biersch Oregon a few times.

Nate

If you know Sam Hoger, then you probably know Paige, aka Posh, who dated Sam for a short while, and spent some time at Miletich?

Vinny
07-31-2012, 01:13 PM

NateI've had my kid train in the Muay Thai style. Mix in a little grappling and some core strength and he is just about ready to turn the tables on me and whip my butt soon. I'm right at that point where I'm not sure I want to find out where he's at since I know good and well where I'm at now that I'm 48 and he's 6' 220.

michaelm
07-31-2012, 01:25 PM
I've had my kid train in the Muay Thai style. Mix in a little grappling and some core strength and he is just about ready to turn the tables on me and whip my butt soon. I'm right at that point where I'm not sure I want to find out where he's at since I know good and well where I'm at now that I'm 48 and he's 6' 220.

Sounds to me like you already have a good idea how that would shake out. LOL

2012Champs
07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Not so! These are GROWN men we're talking about, not "kids!" At some point in time these GROWN men need to act like it and not expect their coach or manager to be their babysitter.

I know they arent kids and thats exactly why you shouldnt have to resort to hiding player equipment

2012Champs
07-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Yup. Staubach went onto the field several times against Landry's wishes as well.

In general those players were admired for their grit but apparently they all just had poor coaches.

Coaches don't have time for prolonged arguments in the middle of the game and as you say nobody is stopping a star from just running onto the field.

Piss poor in handling the situation or having the control you should have running a team. If a player is doing something against what you have expressed the excuse shouldnt be well he just did it anyways and its dre

GP
07-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Piss poor in handling the situation or having the control you should have running a team. If a player is doing something against what you have expressed the excuse shouldnt be well he just did it anyways and its dre

Uh, no.

Coach is watching the field, not trying to keep tabs on if #80 is complying with the trainer's advice and coach's decision that he (AJ) remain off the field.

I'd be MORE pissed if our coach was not watching the game on the field. He doesn't need to be babysitting players...he's got 53 grown ass men and can't watch em all at once.

So if #80 finds a way to sneak onto the field when he shouldn't be out there...then that's on #80 and on #80 alone.

2012Champs
07-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Uh, no.

Coach is watching the field, not trying to keep tabs on if #80 is complying with the trainer's advice and coach's decision that he (AJ) remain off the field.

I'd be MORE pissed if our coach was not watching the game on the field. He doesn't need to be babysitting players...he's got 53 grown ass men and can't watch em all at once.

So if #80 finds a way to sneak onto the field when he shouldn't be out there...then that's on #80 and on #80 alone.

Would it be more appeasing if I said the entire coaching staff? If a coach tells you to sit and you dont then they have lost control of their job, sure the player is at fault as well but in the end what happens on the field/sidelines lands squarely on the coaches' shoulders

Texn4life
07-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Would it be more appeasing if I said the entire coaching staff? If a coach tells you to sit and you dont then they have lost control of their job, sure the player is at fault as well but in the end what happens on the field/sidelines lands squarely on the coaches' shoulders

Let me ask you this...... and I see where you're coming from somewhat. But when Peyton Manning or Tom Brady have waived off Tony Dungy and Bill Belichick on 4th down when they've sent the punt of field goal teams on the field did you ever feel like they weren't in control?

TexansBull
07-31-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't believe a number two receiver is as big as a concern as some are making it out to be. Sure, it would be nice to have someone but we still have Owen Daniels and Arian Foster to throw to and Ben Tate can carry the ball. Then there is Kevin Walter, James Casey, and Ben Tate to fill in on receiving. Well, maybe not Ben Tate. (Still disappointed about the New Orleans game,) This team is made to run the ball with Foster and Tate, too. This team is stacked on offense without a better WR2.

I would rather have Andre play half the game like the Spurs did this year with Tim Duncan. Not all sports are the same, but the strategy could still work. Let the rookies play and learn and let Andre rest more than usual in the game. In my opinion we need to pull our starters in the middle of the fourth more often when we have a lead and control of the game. No sense to have Schaub, Andre and Arian out there when we could have Yates, Walter, and Tate playing. Only in ideal situations of course - disclaimer.

BCRich
07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Uh, no.

I don't know if this is the real reason. If you''ve ever leD men into battle you know how tricky it is. You have to skirt a moving line between self sacrifice and self preservation. One minute you're telling them to give you everything they've got, to not accept failure, to not stop until the job is done. To think of the team, don't let your friends down.

Then the next minute you're telling him to put ice on his boo-boo.

The problem is just S bad in football especially with QBs.

That's why we love this game. Sports in general. Remember when Jordan played while suffering from pneumonia? Leftwhich being carried down the field by his teammates?

Men's men

Texecutioner
07-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Cant address every need in one or two drafts.

We had a sucky defense that needed to be built up properly. They've tried to do that--via the previous d-coord, and failed--so they went back to the well with Wade Phillips (and he succeeded).

This draft, Kubiak went after some WR talent. Again, the Texans felt the best option in round 1 was a guy for Wade's defense. I suppose they didn't feel there was a potential Second Coming of Andre Johnson in round 1 to be had at our position in round 1...so they went defense because a guy was there whom Wade and Rick didn't think would still be there.

I get the frustration. I do. But in all fairness, this offense has a better shot at winning without guys like Schaub/AJ than other AFC South teams have with all of their starters out there. We're riding a crest of a wave that has taken a awhile to build, and other teams are sort of trying to find their identities and are struggling a bit.

There have been plenty of talented WR's in free agency and up for trades that we could have had a crack at and helped this team's WR core. I'm really sick and tired of the constant excuses for Smithiak and their lack of desire to improve this team's WR core. Walter should have been replaced years ago. Jacoby JOnes shouldn't have ever gotten that extension. Maybe you and a few others can sit here and keep making excuses for this on SMith's behalf, but I've been calling for them to make moves on several guys at the WR position for like 3 years now. This isn't something I'm stringing up out of thin air right now, because AJ got hurt again. This has been an ongoing problem that hasn't been addressed accordingly. Some of you forget that Yates has a very strong chance of having to play this season and Yates will need weapons to utilize as he isn't that good to begin with. You guys keep forgetting the that the Texans have a window to WIN NOW. This is their window. Windows for teams to win a SB in the NFL close very quickly, and not getting another play making WR is going to haunt this team down the line. When your team is in position to make a real SB run, you make those moves to put your team over the top. WR isn't a want, it's a NEED.

GP
07-31-2012, 05:40 PM

Refresh my memory on something:

When did AJ ever go onto the field last year when he shouldn't have? Or in years before? You act like he hopped on one leg and was a detriment to our team.

If a guy feels he's good to go, he feels he's not 100% but yet he feels good enough to get out there and try, is he supposed to stop? This mentality you're displaying is puzzling. Let's just all follow orders and sit on our asses because someone said so.

This isn't junior high football. Gary Effing Kubiak is going to have a hard time enforcing sit downs on a guy like AJ. Get that through your head--It isn't about following orders, it's about gutting it out and helping if you think you can help. Sometimes I really wonder...

Read the other posters here. You'd think at least one person feels the same way you do. Well, I take it back. One does, but he's an avowed Smithiak hater. So you've got one on your side. Everyone else is diametrically opposed to your stance. Sometimes, the majority is right. This is one of those times.

GP
07-31-2012, 08:09 PM
There have been plenty of talented WR's in free agency and up for trades that we could have had a crack at and helped this team's WR core. I'm really sick and tired of the constant excuses for Smithiak and their lack of desire to improve this team's WR core. Walter should have been replaced years ago. Jacoby JOnes shouldn't have ever gotten that extension. Maybe you and a few others can sit here and keep making excuses for this on SMith's behalf, but I've been calling for them to make moves on several guys at the WR position for like 3 years now. This isn't something I'm stringing up out of thin air right now, because AJ got hurt again. This has been an ongoing problem that hasn't been addressed accordingly. Some of you forget that Yates has a very strong chance of having to play this season and Yates will need weapons to utilize as he isn't that good to begin with. You guys keep forgetting the that the Texans have a window to WIN NOW. This is their window. Windows for teams to win a SB in the NFL close very quickly, and not getting another play making WR is going to haunt this team down the line. When your team is in position to make a real SB run, you make those moves to put your team over the top. WR isn't a want, it's a NEED.

Well, we all sort of had a hissy fit when Bob didn't fire Gary Kubiak.

He hired Wade Phillips instead and gave new life to Gary Kubiak.

You and I both were pissed off. At some point, though, for me it was after the draft...I decided that Wade as DC and Kubiak as HC would work better for everything and everyone.

We know how that turned out: AFC South crown and playoff win at home.

I will step out in a limb and say that we struck gold with Posey and Martin. It's going to be the offensive version of JJ Watt and Brooks Reed. Two guys who find their way into the field and really contribute.

I'm more worried about QB than any other position. WR is my next worry, but I believe Posey-Martin-Jean will shock some people.

TejasTom
07-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Refresh my memory on something:

When did AJ ever go onto the field last year when he shouldn't have? Or in years before? You act like he hopped on one leg and was a detriment to our team...

WEEK 07 / 2009
San Francisco 49ers
Sun, 10/25 at 12:00 PM CDT
WIN: 24 - 21

Johnson was injured when he caught a 44-yard pass on what proved to be the winning field-goal drive. He fell on the ball, coughed up blood and went to the sideline.

Johnson returned briefly, but when he tried to return a second time, some members of the teamís medical staff hid his helmet to keep him on the sideline rather than risk further injury.

Link (http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Johnson-suffers-chest-injury-vs-49ers-1725038.php)

Coughing up blood and returned to the game, that's all heart!

GP
07-31-2012, 09:37 PM
WEEK 07 / 2009
San Francisco 49ers
Sun, 10/25 at 12:00 PM CDT
WIN: 24 - 21

Link (http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Johnson-suffers-chest-injury-vs-49ers-1725038.php)

Coughing up blood and returned to the game, that's all heart!

Thank you for posting that. I knew it was something small. It wasn't like he had a slipped disk, a broken back, etc.

We talk about guys like Brisiel playing on a freaking broken/fractured leg through what, something like half the game or something? Caldwell had a high ankle sprain on the right AND the left ankle and he sucked it up and played when Brisiel went down for a few games. This stuff happens all the time. Guys get banged up.

I understands they want to take precautions with a guy like AJ, but he was having none of it. AJ is a smart man. But he's also a beast of nature. If he can play, he wants to play. And if his play is not holding the team back, he's going to find a way to get onto the field.

It's admirable, it's not a coach's fault, it's just the way it is.

When I was a steer wrestler back in the late 1990s, I had played in a softball game during the week and got hit in the head by the short stop who winged it and beaned me in the temple as I touched first base...I had a bad concussion. Couldn't finish WORDS, let alone sentences. Couldn't type even an easy word like "that" without stopping after the "t" and "h" and trying to figure out what letter comes next.

I went to a rodeo that next weekend, since I had already paid the entry fee for it, and when I bailed off the horse to grab the steer's horns I ended up bailing wayyyyyyy early. I rolled like a tumbleweed. I couldn't believe it. I just knew I had done everything right. But the concussion had messed with my depth perception THAT badly. I just laughed it off. Yeah, I could have gotten hurt pretty badly, and I shouldn't have competed, but it was second nature. Been rodeo'ing since I was 5. FIVE. No way was I going to stay at home and just forfeit the entry fee.

It's second nature. It's what you do. I know that doesn't compare to what AJ did, but still...the guy can run onto the field if he feels fit. Nobody knows his body's capabilities like he does. And it's not a coach's responsibility to enforce something that a guy like AJ is going to laugh off and pretend he didn't hear it anyways. Such is life. Kubiak can't watch field goal attempts, let alone every player who might try to get back onto the field.

steelbtexan
07-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Well, we all sort of had a hissy fit when Bob didn't fire Gary Kubiak.

He hired Wade Phillips instead and gave new life to Gary Kubiak.

You and I both were pissed off. At some point, though, for me it was after the draft...I decided that Wade as DC and Kubiak as HC would work better for everything and everyone.

We know how that turned out: AFC South crown and playoff win at home.

I will step out in a limb and say that we struck gold with Posey and Martin. It's going to be the offensive version of JJ Watt and Brooks Reed. Two guys who find their way into the field and really contribute.

I'm more worried about QB than any other position. WR is my next worry, but I believe Posey-Martin-Jean will shock some people.

What makes you think Posey/Martin will shock the world? Have you sen them play in college? Martin has more of a chance to make an impact as a slot WR than Posey does. IMHO

I'm not a Gary hater, in fact I really like Gary as a man. I just think he's in over his head as a HC. Hopefully the conservative Gary will be a hing of the past. But if Schaub/AJ aren't able to play more than 10 games then I dont expect Gary to change. Nor would I blame him if he's missing his horses.

But, with this yrs schedule things dont bode well for the team if Gary plays it conservative. IMHO

NastyNate
07-31-2012, 10:48 PM
If you know Sam Hoger, then you probably know Paige, aka Posh, who dated Sam for a short while, and spent some time at Miletich?

I hate to derail the thread too much, but no, but I don't recall him dating anyone by that name. We only hung out a few times outside of work at the Mezzanine and trendier clubs down in the Village. I'm not really a club guy and was pretty dedicated to training so I tried to stay out of that lifestyle. Hoger didn't drink but I just didn't want the temptation. He actually texted me last weekend for the fights.

Now a few guys I actually remember, Tim Buchanon, Mike Miller, a few others. Everyone called me "guns", name might ring a bell if you fought out of that camp.

michaelm
07-31-2012, 11:16 PM
I hate to derail the thread too much, but no, but I don't recall him dating anyone by that name. We only hung out a few times outside of work at the Mezzanine and trendier clubs down in the Village. I'm not really a club guy and was pretty dedicated to training so I tried to stay out of that lifestyle. Hoger didn't drink but I just didn't want the temptation. He actually texted me last weekend for the fights.

Now a few guys I actually remember, Tim Buchanon, Mike Miller, a few others. Everyone called me "guns", name might ring a bell if you fought out of that camp.

No, I never fought. Posh is my sister. If you've been to any local MMA events, you probably met her or at least saw her. She was the promoter for a fight at Hofeinz Pavilion back in '09 I think. And a MMA expo in the Woodlands in '10. Me and her were out of contact when the expo was supposed to occur. I'm not 100% sure it actually made it out of the planning stage.

2012Champs
08-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Let me ask you this...... and I see where you're coming from somewhat. But when Peyton Manning or Tom Brady have waived off Tony Dungy and Bill Belichick on 4th down when they've sent the punt of field goal teams on the field did you ever feel like they weren't in control?

I certainly think there is a lack of total control on who makes the final call in situations like that but one that certain teams allow for play calling and what not. It is a very similar issue but slightly different when players health comes into question. If a player is hurt and you or any staff member tells them to sit thats should be what happens. At the end of the day if that player still runs out on the field the end result is on the coaching staff. Colt's situation last year is a prime yet exaggerated example imo

GP
08-01-2012, 09:00 AM
What makes you think Posey/Martin will shock the world? Have you sen them play in college? Martin has more of a chance to make an impact as a slot WR than Posey does. IMHO

I'm not a Gary hater, in fact I really like Gary as a man. I just think he's in over his head as a HC. Hopefully the conservative Gary will be a hing of the past. But if Schaub/AJ aren't able to play more than 10 games then I dont expect Gary to change. Nor would I blame him if he's missing his horses.

But, with this yrs schedule things dont bode well for the team if Gary plays it conservative. IMHO

What makes you think they WON'T???

They gave Okoye time. They gave Jacoby time. And both were cut. Kubiak is done with project picks. He chose two guys (Posey and Martin) who were solid WRs from legitimate NCAA programs, and I think they'll shock a lot of people.

Past failures do not always equate to future failures being a sure thing.

The early reports are that Martin and Posey are making great catches and are not failing. At this stage, with rookie WRs, that's an incredibly good sign.

How many times did we hear Amobi was not being his man, or Jacoby was bobbling passes in camp?

Texecutioner
08-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Fair enough, but what on earth is leading you to think this way?? What have these guys done to give you this kind of confidence in them? Striking gold? I'm having a hard time even seeing either one of these guys panning out. If these two were drafted by the Jags would you see it that way? I'm just curious, because it just seems like some optimism without reasoning which is fine and all, but I'm just not understanding it. If I felt that way, than I'd probably agree with you, but I can't figure out what is leading you to think that both guys are going to be these steals of the draft and the future of our receiving core without at least seeing these guys play in 8 games of the regular season. I've seen a ton of pre season warriors even where folks get all excited only for big let downs. Jacoby Jones was a huge one that I even bought into at the time.

NastyNate
08-02-2012, 01:37 PM

4 days, who would have thunk!?!?!? Andre reporting zero issue today, he'll be fine folks. Most guys will tweak their groin in a football season and not say much, and they'll still play.

steelbtexan
08-02-2012, 05:44 PM
What makes you think they WON'T???

They gave Okoye time. They gave Jacoby time. And both were cut. Kubiak is done with project picks. He chose two guys (Posey and Martin) who were solid WRs from legitimate NCAA programs, and I think they'll shock a lot of people.

Past failures do not always equate to future failures being a sure thing.

The early reports are that Martin and Posey are making great catches and are not failing. At this stage, with rookie WRs, that's an incredibly good sign.

How many times did we hear Amobi was not being his man, or Jacoby was bobbling passes in camp?

They're rookies, rookie WR's dont normally contribute much their first 2 yrs.

Past failure more often than not lead to future failures.

Rick/Gary better hope these guys break the mold.

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2012, 08:15 PM
4 days, who would have thunk!?!?!? Andre reporting zero issue today, he'll be fine folks. Most guys will tweak their groin in a football season and not say much, and they'll still play.

And then there are memories of

NFL Players News
Mario Williams Questionable
Matt.Baliga
Oct 08 2010

Update: Gregg Rosenthal of ProFootballTalk.com reports that Houston Texans DE Mario Williams will be questionable for this weekend's game against the Giants. Williams sustained a minor groin injury during Thursday's practice.

#Texans DE Mario Williams had an MRI yesterday for groin pain but says he'll be fine and expects to play. He called it "a little boo boo"

http://twitter.com/NickScurfield

Questioned about Williams’ mobility, middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans insisted: “I’m not worried about Mario. He’s a tough guy. He’s fought through things before.”
For the rest: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-76265.html

Mario Williams placed on IR (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5923473)
Updated: December 15, 2010, 10:19 PM ET
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Mario Williams, the Houston defensive end who went to the last two Pro Bowls, is out for the rest of the season.

The Texans said Wednesday that Williams, the first overall pick in 2006, had been placed on season-ending injured reserve. He's struggled with injuries since September, and a groin injury was listed as the reason.

Coach Gary Kubiak said Williams will have surgery to repair a sports hernia on Tuesday in Philadelphia.

Texecutioner
08-02-2012, 08:26 PM
They're rookies, rookie WR's dont normally contribute much their first 2 yrs.

Past failure more often than not lead to future failures.

Rick/Gary better hope these guys break the mold.

Exactly, and that is why I still don't understand why so many Houston folks kept clamoring for a WR in the first round. There wasn't going to be one that dominant where we were drafting most likely and most 1st year WR's have a huge learning curve and end up hitting it big by year 3. A few have had big seasons recently, but just going off of a more consistent history. I've been a lot more interested in free agents and guys that were on the trading block the last two off seasons, but I guess we're going to have to roll with these rookies, Walter and Bryant Johnson.

BCRich
08-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Exactly, and that is why I still don't understand why so many Houston folks kept clamoring for a WR in the first round. There wasn't going to be one that dominant where we were drafting most likely and most 1st year WR's have a huge learning curve and end up hitting it big by year 3. A few have had big seasons recently, but just going off of a more consistent history. I've been a lot more interested in free agents and guys that were on the trading block the last two off seasons, but I guess we're going to have to roll with these rookies, Walter and Bryant Johnson.

It's kinda like drilling for oil in Alaska. Had we started 10 years ago, we wouldn't hear the, "We won't see that oil for 10 years" argument.

A first round reciever should be able to produce what KDub or JJ has for the past couple of years. Next year, we'd be deadly.

steelbtexan
08-02-2012, 10:08 PM
I cant believe Bryant Johnson was still available. LOL

NastyNate
08-02-2012, 11:52 PM
And then there are memories of

NFL Players News

For the rest: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-76265.html

Mario Williams placed on IR (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5923473)

Mario Williams is not "most". CND I know that because of your medical background you've seen every negative aspect of the medical community. This is why people come to doctors and surgeons, they're at the worst point of the injury. This is why it's hard to expect something to be minor, because you are constantly subjected to the most extreme versions of said injuries, along with minor versions. Mario most likely strained an abductor or adductor, I don't really think he pulled his groin.

My question to you is, have you pulled your groin before? I have, on many different occasions, it's always been a day or two, 4 days at most injury. It's pretty darn common in the sports community.

No disrespect intended. Flamesuit on.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Mario Williams is not "most". CND I know that because of your medical background you've seen every negative aspect of the medical community. This is why people come to doctors and surgeons, they're at the worst point of the injury. This is why it's hard to expect something to be minor, because you are constantly subjected to the most extreme versions of said injuries, along with minor versions. Mario most likely strained an abductor or adductor, I don't really think he pulled his groin.

My question to you is, have you pulled your groin before? I have, on many different occasions, it's always been a day or two, 4 days at most injury. It's pretty darn common in the sports community.

No disrespect intended. Flamesuit on.

No disrespect taken....and no flamesuit required. Your comments are legitimate concerning discerning between truly "minor" vs significant groin strains. A lot of the confusion rests in the terms "groin strain/pull," to begin with. Many people will include sources caused by hernias, thigh muscle/tendon tears, lower abdominal muscle/tendon tears, etc. within this group. The classic "groin strain," though, is usually, in fact, due to varying degrees of tear severity of the adductor muscles. Even within this more acceptable definition, it must be kept in mind that the adductor muscles are actually a group of 5 different muscles. Tear/strain of any of these muscles will result in the problems associated with "groin strain."

And you are correct, I have tended to see these problems at a more severe stage. However, many of these patients related that their problems all started with a "tweak" or "minor tug' or "tightness"........and progressed due to inadequate rest and rehab periods. No doubt, we have already seen this scenario play out in a number of Texans players over the past few years.

All athletes and coaches tend to push the minimal time for recovery to its limit for obvious reasons..........even though they say they are not doing so, and are just following protocol for the severity of injury.

As far as AJ's injury, even though it was originally reported that he had fallen awkwardly to cause the strain, it is now clear by his own words that the strain occurred while he was simply stretching out for the ball. Sure, it could be caused by deficient "warm up" period. But, it can't help you be concerned about a muscle balance and stability question, especially in light of his recent left knee scope, clipping of his right semitendinosus hamstring muscle last year, previous MCL and PCL left knee injury, previous ankle problems, etc. The fact that he is running now is not an extrapolation to on-the-field risk. Any adductor injury no matter how minor, can be re-injured following inadequate rest and rehab, when a player sprints full speed, changes direction acutely, or runs against resistance.........especially if there is any residual lower body muscle imbalance or instability. I have, indeed, followed many patients who wish they could have traded an extra week or two lost to caution for a month or two or more of watching TV.

For so many reasons which I have related here and in past postings, I will remain very guarded about what AJ's future is as he deals with his "historic" injuries and their potential affect on future performance and likelihood of future injuries. No different than everyone else here, I hope that, at least this time, it was and will remain only a story of "The Tweak That Scared Millions."

GP
08-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Fair enough, but what on earth is leading you to think this way?? What have these guys done to give you this kind of confidence in them? Striking gold? I'm having a hard time even seeing either one of these guys panning out. If these two were drafted by the Jags would you see it that way? I'm just curious, because it just seems like some optimism without reasoning which is fine and all, but I'm just not understanding it. If I felt that way, than I'd probably agree with you, but I can't figure out what is leading you to think that both guys are going to be these steals of the draft and the future of our receiving core without at least seeing these guys play in 8 games of the regular season. I've seen a ton of pre season warriors even where folks get all excited only for big let downs. Jacoby Jones was a huge one that I even bought into at the time.

My main reasoning is that it seems Kubiak is shying away from that previous mentality he had of going for the small school WR (Jacoby).

He's going with proven producers whom I think he has plans for. Before, he was trying Jacoby as sort of a home run threat who was going to be fast and lethal.

I see Posey as a better version of Walter. He's got the blocking skills for our run game, but he's faster than Walter. And younger.

Martin is also a better version of David Anderson.

I see them as upgrades in two WR spots that have been weakened by Jacoby petering out and Walter getting older, slower.

With the loss of Dressen, it was crucial for Kubiak to rejuvenate the WR corps. Jacoby was really the only new WR we've been accustomed to for the past three years. So let's see what Kubiak's new WRs, including LeStar Jean, can do.

It takes as much faith to think they'll wash out as it does to think they'll excel and play a contributing role.

Lastly, we could have skipped JJ Watt and Brooks Reed in the 2011 draft in favor if some potential #1 WR to groom for AJ's spot. And we could have reached in the 2012 draft for that same heir apparent. At the end if the day, all things considered, we made the right moved in both drafts...free agency was helter skelter due to our untenable cap situation. We simply didn't have the flexibility to pursue WR1 guys, IMO.

It's not so much a deal of people reaching to protect Smithiak...because it could be just as easily said that some are reaching to condemn them for the unpardonable sin of not having his replacement already on the roster by now. 6 one way, half dozen the other...both are the same thing just different ways of saying it.

It's possible that we could beef up one area and have another suffer for it. We chose to beef up the defense over the past few years, and a UDFA named Arian Foster made up a lot of ground out of nowhere for us. Sometimes your plans don't work, sometimes the unforeseen ends up being your savior, and you can't always solve all problems on the board no matter how hard you try. What I am saying is this: We have what we have, so keys enjoy it and hope what we DO have ends up being a great deal in the end (i.e. Arian Foster's impact on this offense).

gtexan02
08-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Aaaaaaaaand he's back

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8239419/andre-johnson-groin-returns-practice-houston-texans

Johnson said it was "a lot of fun" to return to the practice field Monday.

"I'm glad I'm able to be back out here. I'll keep working," he said, according to the team's Twitter feed.