PDA

View Full Version : Lions Rulez!!! Texans arn't bad either :)

CharlesRoyKev
05-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Just wanna say good luck to you guys this season. IMO we are the two teams that will shock everyone this season.

GO LIONS!!!

TexanFanInCC
05-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Just wanna say good luck to you guys this season. IMO we are the two teams that will shock everyone this season.

GO LIONS!!!

yeah well at least ur not like the lions trolls that go on the texans' board on espn.com. that talk trash and talk about how roy williams is better than andre johnson or joey harrington is better than carr. i think the lions willl compete for the wildcard this year. the vikings appear to be the better team at this point bc of their improvements on defense, but who knows. joey harrington is going to have to make tremendous progress this year. theres no excuses for him. he has the weapons set for him. the same can be said for david carr. by upgrading our o-line, he should have no problem putting up the numbers. defensively, both teams look very solid. i cant wait for the season to start. the offseason is going so slooooooow. :crying:

Hervoyel
05-23-2005, 10:42 AM
I expect more than a wild card out of the Lions this year. I think it's them and (this is going to sound funny I know) the Bears in a dogfight for the division. I see the NFC North as a division that's about the flip. For years it's been Packers-Vikings-Packers-Vikings and now the Packers are about ready to go down for a while. A lot of people probably don't think the Vikings are ready to drop yet but I do. I bet they don't reach 8-8 this year.

gwallaia
05-23-2005, 10:49 AM
How do you see the Bears improving?

Panther5407
05-23-2005, 10:51 AM
How do you see the Bears improving?

Urlacher is gonna be back I think, Benson, Muhammed and Grossman all will be back after not having any of them this past year. They had a good D to start with so now they are going to fight for the top spot in the weak divison.

CharlesRoyKev
05-23-2005, 10:55 AM
The Bears still have a ways to go since they are still in the rebuilding process. Vikes are our most concern but you never know with Favre as the QB for the Packers. Right now I have:

Vikes
Lions - Wild Card
Packers
Bears

Indy
Houston - Wild card
Jacksonville
Tenn

CRK

Blake
05-23-2005, 10:59 AM
As long as Brett is the QB, and Green is running the pigskin, you cant count out the Pack. The Vikings had a ton of offseason moves, and I think the will still be good enough for playoffs. So good luck. That is a tough division. Just like the AFC south.

Koruptified
05-24-2005, 01:19 AM
The Bears still have a ways to go since they are still in the rebuilding process. Vikes are our most concern but you never know with Favre as the QB for the Packers. Right now I have:

Vikes
Lions - Wild Card
Packers
Bears

Indy
Houston - Wild card
Jacksonville
Tenn

CRK

Yea, because the Texans are just sooo much better than the Jaguars. :rolleyes:

Texan Dave
05-24-2005, 03:42 AM

We don't have any problems schooling Jags, just ask Leftwitch.

OzzO
05-24-2005, 08:08 AM

Only two wins seperated us last year, one to tie. For being our 3rd year, not too shabby in comparison to a more tenured team. It's okay to admit you're worried. :heh:

canadiantexan
05-24-2005, 11:34 AM

finally a Jags fan who admits it. :highfive:

B.Diddy
05-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Well...........umm yeah that pretty much sums it up.....oooh and i forgot we
freakin owned the jags last year:whoohoo: :neener: :excited:

Porky
05-24-2005, 12:59 PM
I expect more than a wild card out of the Lions this year. I think it's them and (this is going to sound funny I know) the Bears in a dogfight for the division. I see the NFC North as a division that's about the flip. For years it's been Packers-Vikings-Packers-Vikings and now the Packers are about ready to go down for a while. A lot of people probably don't think the Vikings are ready to drop yet but I do. I bet they don't reach 8-8 this year.

I disagree with your Vikings take. I think they are the class of this division, and rather easily at that. I expect them to be a potential SB contender. I really like what they have done this offseason. Addition by Subtraction with Moss, having an excellent draft, and a wonderful FA period, which has totally remade their defense.

The Lions have improved nicely too. I just don't think Harrington is good enough to push them into the playoffs. I see 8 or 9 wins. If Harrington improves, the rest of the case is good enough to support a 10 or 11 win season.

The Bears had a nice offseason, and excellent draft. Ricky Williams JR., will help that offense tremendousely. He is my early pick for offensive ROY. I say 7 or 8 wins for them.

The Pack had a terrible offseason. They did nothing to improve a bad defense. They lost a number of players. They cleary regressed imo, and will finish last. I say about 5 wins for the Pack, who won't be back in 2005.

My predictions:
Vikings - 13-3
Lions - 9-7
Bears - 8-8
Packers 5-11

royce1054
05-24-2005, 01:16 PM
to be honest i think detriot has a good chance at the wild card spot. I think they are my pick for the #6 seed. I still see Philly, ATL, Minnesota, Seattle and the last team i think will be Dallas at #5.

As for the AFC it could go many different ways. The AFC teams have so much talent to me it could go almost any way. I do think Pitts, KC, Indy, and NE as the #4 this year will all be division winners. I think Houston, NYJ, SD, jack, and Baltimore have a chance at the 5 and 6 seeds

royce1054
05-24-2005, 01:19 PM
My predictions:
Vikings - 13-3
Lions - 9-7
Bears - 8-8
Packers 5-11

I think you might be right about minnesota with their record but i would say more like 11-5 sounds more realistic for them
Lions prediction i think is right on 9-7 is a great record for them
I would put the packs at 6-10 i dont know why but they are on the decline i dont think they will have a 500 season this year
Bears i cant see them winning more than 6 this year but i dont think they will win less then 4. so 4-12, 5-11 or 6-10.

Porky
05-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I think you might be right about minnesota with their record but i would say more like 11-5 sounds more realistic for them
Lions prediction i think is right on 9-7 is a great record for them
I would put the packs at 6-10 i dont know why but they are on the decline i dont think they will have a 500 season this year
Bears i cant see them winning more than 6 this year but i dont think they will win less then 4. so 4-12, 5-11 or 6-10.

I can buy those predictions. I just feel that Benson will do more for that team than you might think. I see 7 or 8 wins for them. We shall see soon enough!

Fiddy
05-24-2005, 01:30 PM
What's the over/under on how many plays Mr. Rogers plays???? :D :jk:

Koruptified
05-24-2005, 02:39 PM
I love it how you guys think you're better than the Jaguars just because of the sweep last year. The Jaguars almost beat the Steelers... if they would have, do you think people would say the Jaguars were a better overall team than the Steelers?

Yes, the Texans are an up-and-coming team and have upside, and should be contenders, but to be overtaking the Jaguars just won't happen this year. We've only added talent and lost noone.

If Fred Taylor was going to be gone this season, the FO would be signing another RB like Travis Henry. Taylor won't miss the season... and if Jones is able to do good with the offense, then we'll be fine. I don't expect him to live up to the hype, but he'll help us score more.

OzzO
05-24-2005, 04:23 PM
I love it how you guys think you're better than the Jaguars just because of the sweep last year. The Jaguars almost beat the Steelers... if they would have, do you think people would say the Jaguars were a better overall team than the Steelers?.....

Go figure you're on the TEXANS board. :dangit: I'm sure if you did beat the Steelers and asked the homers on your board that question, I'm sure you'd get similar answers.

TexansTrueFan
05-24-2005, 04:28 PM

GO LIONS!!!

ya know i thought the lions were gonna be good last year after around week 6 but they just totally collapsed, hopefully they can start strong and finish strong next season, and we can knock them out of the play-offs :)

Blake
05-24-2005, 04:35 PM
I love it how you guys think you're better than the Jaguars just because of the sweep last year.

Did you read that post out loud before you posted it? Team A's fans think their team is better than team B, whom they swept last season. Weird...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

http://www.houstontexans.com/wpimages/carr/carr_leap_main092803.jpg

jr0ck
05-24-2005, 04:38 PM
I love it how you guys think you're better than the Jaguars just because of the sweep last year.

yeah, i tend to agree. i mean it's just sweeping a division rival that has a history, alebit short, of bad blood between the teams. nothing to show that the texans are any better than the jags... :rolleyes:

Koruptified
05-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Soo... the Browns must be better than you guys... and Miami must be better than New England, right?

DRIFTAWAY
05-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Browns beat us once. We beat yall twice.

I guess JAX isn't as high on math as Texas

TexansTrueFan
05-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Soo... the Browns must be better than you guys... and Miami must be better than New England, right?

ok out of 2 games miami wouldnt win twice, out of 2 games against the jags the texans did win twice, once a fluke, twice most likly not. GET OVER IT !!!!!

Blake
05-24-2005, 05:41 PM
ok out of 2 games miami wouldnt win twice, out of 2 games against the jags the texans did win twice, once a fluke, twice most likly not. GET OVER IT !!!!!

We didnt just beat them. We dominated them. I think they had 9 total points in both games.

Koruptified
05-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Ok, should I go through a breakdown of each position and show you the Jaguars are better?

bigtex77
05-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Break down 41-6 while you are at it. :highfive:

That's freakin' classic!

Koruptified
05-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I want you guys to remember that score and cherish it... hold it close to your hearts and remember the good ole days before the Jaguars hand your asses back to you on a platter.

TopTexanFan16
05-25-2005, 03:37 PM
I want you guys to remember that score and cherish it... hold it close to your hearts and remember the good ole days before the Jaguars hand your asses back to you on a platter.

hey troll get off our board and go make ur self feel better somehwere else. hey i understand its tough being a sucky team and losing to us twice, but the first step is admitting it. so either you admit we own yall and have braging rights or you get off the board.

GoPats
05-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Look, I think the Lions are a good team, but you wil have the same problem Indy has. You'll have great WRs, (even though I think J Harrington sucks) but you have no D. So, if you play a team that adjusts well to different offesive schemes, then you are guys will lose time and time again, and not make it to the SB.

I agree. I think they'll be better than in 2004, but I also think that Joey Harrington is never going to make it to that next level. Detroit looks great offensively on paper, but without a competent QB leading the way and a serviceable defense they'll never make it anywhere. I'd look for Garcia to be taking over by the end of September (if not earlier), because I'm guessing Mariucci has just about had it with Harrington.

Put those three wideouts on any team with a good QB, and watch out. Could you imagine, say, Duante Culpepper throwing passes to Williams, Rodgers, and Williams? Scary...

Tailgate
05-31-2005, 10:21 AM

Thats what all the Jags fans were saying after game 1 last year as well.

Ihategeeks
05-31-2005, 04:42 PM
I'd look for Garcia to be taking over by the end of September (if not earlier), because I'm guessing Mariucci has just about had it with Harrington.

Stick to the Pats. Garcia will never see the field unless Joey gets hurt.
They both have the same weapons in camp, and Joey was far and away better than Garcia.

Harrington had a 95 QB rate for the first 7 games last year. After that he was throwing to "Arena League guys off the street"

FILO_girl
05-31-2005, 05:41 PM
http://img251.echo.cx/img251/7057/jagssiggy0iz.jpg
Isn't this beautiful! And the souce of the salt in the wounds of many a Jag poster on their board. Vinny makes a mean sig, doesn't he! :highfive:

Originally Posted by Koruptified
I love it how you guys think you're better than the Jaguars just because of the sweep last year. The Jaguars almost beat the Steelers... if they would have, do you think people would say the Jaguars were a better overall team than the Steelers?.....

Well Mr Jagfan...lets check some facts out!

Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. But perusing our history with the Steelers, we kicked their butts 24-6 (2002). We "almost" beat the Pats in '03 (23-20 in OT), "almost" beat the Vikes in '04 (34-28 in OT), "almost" beat the Packers in '04 (16-13 in final seconds). Now, if "almost" counted, we would be looking down at you in the division standings. "Almost" means you LOST. :dangit:
For the record, that 41-6 above in my pic....ain't even CLOSE to an almost. :ouch:
I know that has to hurt, but denial doesn't make it any less painful.

GoPats
06-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Stick to the Pats. Garcia will never see the field unless Joey gets hurt.
They both have the same weapons in camp, and Joey was far and away better than Garcia.

Harrington had a 95 QB rate for the first 7 games last year. After that he was throwing to "Arena League guys off the street"

You don't think Mooch is dying to put "his guy" in there now? Garcia's a gamer who will always look and play much better in actual competition. Sorry, but Harrington hasn't done jack since he came into the league. I don't put much stock into the "he had no one to throw to" excuse... better QBs overcome those problems. I just think the guy's a bust, personally. Just my opinion.

Ihategeeks
06-02-2005, 03:48 PM
You don't think Mooch is dying to put "his guy" in there now? Garcia's a gamer who will always look and play much better in actual competition. Sorry, but Harrington hasn't done jack since he came into the league. I don't put much stock into the "he had no one to throw to" excuse... better QBs overcome those problems. I just think the guy's a bust, personally. Just my opinion.

It's not an excuse, he really had no one to throw too. I am taking about guys off the practice squad every year. And Garcia looked like crap in Cleveland, he had people to throw too, what was his excuse? Joey looks really good with 1 reliable target. And Mooch wants Garcia to start so bad he gives Joey most of the snaps in practice and Garcia is on a 1 year contract. Garcia is the emergency plan only if Joey gets hurt or goes down in flames There is no way Garcia beats Harrington in camp, in Preseason, or Regular season.

The only Qb I have seen overcome the no one to throw to problem is Brett Favre, nm he had a tight end. Joey hasn't.

michaelm
06-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Lions Rulez!!! Texans arn't bad either :)

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=9506

hehe

cuppacoffee
06-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRoyKev
Lions Rulez!!! Texans arn't bad either

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zo...read.php?t=9506

hehe

You don't play fair. :D

I don't visit other teams message boards. Is it unusual for fans of two other teams to duke it out on a third teams message board? Just curious, I find it kind of amusing. By the way....thanks GoPats .....from an Irish fan. :D

cac: :coffee:

GoPats
06-03-2005, 07:50 AM
By the way....thanks GoPats .....from an Irish fan. :D

I am now too. :highfive:

Good luck with Charlie. Great guy (not that I know him personally). And I'm not afraid to admit that I sometimes still sob like a child at the end of "Rudy." :crying:

GoPats
06-03-2005, 07:59 AM
It's not an excuse, he really had no one to throw too. I am taking about guys off the practice squad every year. And Garcia looked like crap in Cleveland, he had people to throw too, what was his excuse? Joey looks really good with 1 reliable target. And Mooch wants Garcia to start so bad he gives Joey most of the snaps in practice and Garcia is on a 1 year contract. Garcia is the emergency plan only if Joey gets hurt or goes down in flames There is no way Garcia beats Harrington in camp, in Preseason, or Regular season.

The only Qb I have seen overcome the no one to throw to problem is Brett Favre, nm he had a tight end. Joey hasn't.

All-righty then... apparently I'm missing something here with Harrington. Maybe he's just been waiting, biding his time, letting the rest of the NFL feel falsely secure in his apparently feigned inability to play quarterback at the pro level. You know... lull 'em into a false sense of security by doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for three years before unleashing his true talents in year four.

Good luck with that. :bomb:

Ihategeeks
06-04-2005, 12:56 PM
All-righty then... apparently I'm missing something here with Harrington. Maybe he's just been waiting, biding his time, letting the rest of the NFL feel falsely secure in his apparently feigned inability to play quarterback at the pro level. You know... lull 'em into a false sense of security by doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for three years before unleashing his true talents in year four.

Good luck with that. :bomb:

Yes, he tricked everyone into forgeting his hot start to 2004 with Roy Williams.

He's amazing.

Anyway, Joey hits the fat part of his contract this year 8 million dollars (gasp)
Jeff Garcia is on a 1 year contract.

If the lions had no intention to play Joey this year, they wouldn't be paying him a crap load of money. They would have cut him and signed Garcia to atleast a 2-3 year deal.

Joey was not cut, so expect the Lions get the most out of their gross overpayment. (the contract is cheaper for the rest of it's life, they cut Joey after this year if they want)

I must ask GoPats? Exactly how many games have you seen Joey Harrington play? Do you go out of your way to watch the Lions? What is the over under here? 4-5 games? Joey has the talent to play at the NFL level, and when he gets locked in he looks like someone worthy of the #3 pick. Problem is, it takes 2 to tango. And Joey is dancing with inflatable dolls.

GoPats
06-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Yes, he tricked everyone into forgeting his hot start to 2004 with Roy Williams.

He's amazing.

Anyway, Joey hits the fat part of his contract this year 8 million dollars (gasp)
Jeff Garcia is on a 1 year contract.

If the lions had no intention to play Joey this year, they wouldn't be paying him a crap load of money. They would have cut him and signed Garcia to atleast a 2-3 year deal.

Joey was not cut, so expect the Lions get the most out of their gross overpayment. (the contract is cheaper for the rest of it's life, they cut Joey after this year if they want)

I must ask GoPats? Exactly how many games have you seen Joey Harrington play? Do you go out of your way to watch the Lions? What is the over under here? 4-5 games? Joey has the talent to play at the NFL level, and when he gets locked in he looks like someone worthy of the #3 pick. Problem is, it takes 2 to tango. And Joey is dancing with inflatable dolls.

I'll admit I haven't watched more than a half-dozen Lions games in their entirety, but you don't need to watch complete games to get a sense of what guys are doing on the field. This is simply a difference of opinion, and you'll have a harder time backing yours up than I will. There aren't too many people outside of Michigan who think, like you do, that Harrington has lived up to his billing. Maybe we're all oblivious and you know something we don't, but I think he's been nothing more than an average to below-average starter since coming into the league.

rittenhouserobz
06-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Personally, I think Roy Williams is a stud reciever that would make Akili Smith look good at times.

If the Lions have all three of the 1st rnd WR's and their 1st Rd Qb and 1st Rd RB playing, then they should be able to dominate on paper. I am just wondering what will be the reasoning when Harrington has all the tools and doesn't get it done.

I look at all the times Detroit drafted right in front of the Texans and grabbed certain players. There was that one time the Texans drafted ahead of the Lions. Thank you God for that one.

Ihategeeks
06-06-2005, 11:02 AM
I'll admit I haven't watched more than a half-dozen Lions games in their entirety, but you don't need to watch complete games to get a sense of what guys are doing on the field. This is simply a difference of opinion, and you'll have a harder time backing yours up than I will. \

Yes in general, having more information about a player puts me at a disadvantage.......Your uninformed opinion of a player is more valid because it's an outside one. I am just a rambling homer.

Joey has not lived up to his billing (CONSISTANTLY) but has shown flashes of the #3 pick.
He shows more consistant flashes of this ability when he has 1 WR to consitantly throw to. And QB is one position you need to see more than a couple times to appreciate, especially when he is throwing to guys from 8 on 8 caroll college , a TE lined up at WR because there is no one left on the roster.

I am not being disingenous when I say , Joey Harrington has had a different group of WR's in the NFL every 3 weeks. And the longest a good one has lasted for Joey is 5 Healthy games. (Both Rogers And Williams lasted 5 games before injuries their first year)

Combine this with struggling team the past 3 year, and no running game until the final 8 weeks of 2004, also with the fact that he was learning for the majority of this the hardest system for a QB to learn, endured 2 head coaches and now 3 offensive coordnators.

He has all the talent it takes to be a GREAT QB, is he now? No, I agree with the world, he hasn't earned that distinction.
But, I'd bet alot that with Roy, Mike, Chuck, KJ, Pollard, A decent Oline, those flashes of inconsistant greatness become alot more consistant unless the whole lot of em get on the same crashed plane!

Joey Harrington brings alot more than Jeff Garcia. The only thing Jeff has on Joey is scrambling ability. There is no reason for him to start, talent wise, or money wise.

Unless Joey doesn't get it done with all these weapons. Which will come as a complete shock to me. Because I know what he looks like with just a lil teeeny lil bit of assistance. The guy is going from famine to feast. Only a real turd couldn't get this done.

The guy could easily throw for 28 TD's this year with all this help. And he isn't mistake prone so it won't be Jake Plummerish. I'll take that.
Joey threw 19 TD's and 12 Ints in 2004, and I bet you never even heard of some of the guys he was throwing to. I think that Pollard, Williams, Rogers, Williams, Johnson, Jones, has 9 more TD's in the passing game out there.
Atleast....

It beats Vines, Kircus, Swinton, Alexander.

Anyway, the point here, is he will start over Jeff Garcia, and the only way Jeff sees the field is if Joey really sucks it up. Which I, in my ignorance of information disagrees with you on. Which is fine, Garcia has a name in the NFL, Garcia looked damn good when he had Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens to throw too. Joey still is making his name, and is waiting for someone...anyone to throw too.

He's got it, And enough rope to hang himself. Jeff will not see the field outside of injury, and Joey will get the chance to fail. That is not my opinion, that's a fact. If you think Garcia starts the season, That's your opinion.

Everyone has one, not everyone should.

GoPats
06-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Everyone has one, not everyone should.

Ahh, OK... you could have saved yourself all that time and just responded with the above sentence. It says a lot more than everything else that you wrote.

Ihategeeks
06-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Ahh, OK... you could have saved yourself all that time and just responded with the above sentence. It says a lot more than everything else that you wrote.

Well, your limited knowledge of the Detroit Lions makes you an authority on them. I didn't think you cared what I have to say.

Or was it, I don't care what you have to say? Garcia won't start.

GoPats
06-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Well, your limited knowledge of the Detroit Lions makes you an authority on them. I didn't think you cared what I have to say.

I don't. And you shouldn't.

GoPats
10-26-2005, 08:05 AM

Had to find and resurrect this thread. I guess your superior pigskin intellect somehow failed you.

I will now retreat to my hovel of limited NFL knowledge.

Ihategeeks
10-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Had to find and resurrect this thread. I guess your superior pigskin intellect somehow failed you.

I will now retreat to my hovel of limited NFL knowledge.

Hey, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Wrong about Garcia, right about the Patriots and Vikings.

What was I supposed to do? Let some little ****** bash my team?

GoPats
10-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Wrong about Garcia, right about the Patriots and Vikings.

What was I supposed to do? Let some little ****** bash my team?

LOL... no man, you did right. No worries. The knife is firmly planted in the Lions' season, I just wanted to twist it a bit for my own sick enjoyment.

Don't count the Patriots out of anything just yet. You're probably right in that their dominating days are behind them, but the toughest part of their schedule is already over. Not too many teams would be much better than 3-3 after playing who they've played, mostly on the road. It ain't gonna take much to win the AFC East. A bit more than the old "Black and Blue" division, but 10-6 should get an AFC East team into the playoffs. Maybe even 9-7. And it's all about getting into the "tournament," as Parcells calls it...

Ihategeeks
10-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Roy Williams had a grade 3 quad pull. I am not blaming him for missing time, but the ignorant Detroit media will.

As for making excuses, I stopped doing that a few weeks ago. Garcia gets it done.

Lions might lose there next game since they've lost about half the team to injury, but I expect Garcia to come to play.