PDA

View Full Version : WR Roy Williams to get a tryout with Texans (UPDATE) signed Bryant Johnson

TheMatrix31
07-25-2012, 10:05 PM
From Yahoo guy David Nuno:

Better said, WR Roy Williams will get a tryout with the Texans...

The Roy Williams Report comes the Dallas Morning News: tinyurl.com/c5uqv6j

Texans34Life
07-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Real Talk on Roy Williams. He's a big-bodied veteran who has a great chance of getting into camp with the Texans

Thorn
07-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Interesting. I wonder how much speed he's lost over the years? He had one really good year for Detroit.

steelbtexan
07-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Cant be worse than what's already on the roster - AJ.

Playoffs
07-25-2012, 10:43 PM
I hope his hands arrive at camp with the rest of his body because they've been missing for years.

TheMatrix31
07-25-2012, 10:48 PM
I'd rather just sign Plastic-Ho.

Kaiser Toro
07-25-2012, 10:59 PM
I do not know the man, but I have been a hater since his sophomore year in college.

Nawzer
07-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Interesting. I've been a proponent of adding another vet wide receiver. No harm in giving him a shot.

Coach Kevin
07-25-2012, 11:03 PM
I like this move, maybe he can save his career in Houston. We have nothing to lose by bring him to camp.

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2012, 11:09 PM
He still has a good yds per catch stat.........15.7, 14.3 and 13.7 respectively over the past 3 years..................BUT...............

Roy Williams' long history of drops (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/30211/roy-williams-long-history-of-drops)

August, 24, 2011

Case of 'The Dropsies'

Despite ranking third in targets among Cowboys pass-catchers over the past three seasons, Roy Williams struggled to produce in Dallas due to an inability to come down with the ball when targeted. Williams has dropped a higher percentage of passes than all other players with at least 200 targets since 2008 and has the third-lowest catch percentage over the same span.

Past 3 Seasons

Player % Drops

Roy Williams 8.2 (19 drops/231 targets)
Dwayne Bowe 8.1
Ted Ginn, Jr. 7.5
Dustin Keller 7.4
Bryant Johnson 7.2
>>min. 200 targets

Unreliable Targets: Lowest Catch Percentage

Past 3 Seasons

Player Pct.

Braylon Edwards 46.6
Bryant Johnson 47.3
Roy Williams 48.1 (111 rec/231 targets)
Nate Washington 49.6
Terrell Owens 51.0
>>min. 200 targets

Kaiser Toro
07-25-2012, 11:14 PM
He was allergic to blocking and finishing routes in college, and has demonstrated alligator arms in the league. I would venture it is a favor or veteran body, rather than a season long investment.

badboy
07-25-2012, 11:14 PM
maybe 76 can give us a break down if his drops were all on him or Qb or?

http://sportsblogdylcon5.tumblr.com/
At wide receiver, the bears sign Roy Williams, who admits he is not in playing shape.

Maybe getting in shape should be his first priority?

Doppelganger
07-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Is he the one on Storage Wars: Texas? If so, he should probably stick to football related activities as he isn't very good at buying storage units.

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2012, 11:40 PM
maybe 76 can give us a break down if his drops were all on him or Qb or?

http://sportsblogdylcon5.tumblr.com/
At wide receiver, the bears sign Roy Williams, who admits he is not in playing shape.

Maybe getting in shape should be his first priority?

That was a year ago. He now says he's in great shape.

July 25, 2012
Terrell Owens is not getting interest but former Cowboys WR Roy Williams has a tryout with Texans

Williams, a former Longhorn star and Odessa, is excited about a second opportunity to return to his home state and play pro football. He says he is healthy and in great shape after working out summer in Dallas and plans to make the most of his tryout with the Texas.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/07/terrell-owens-is-not-getting-interest-but-former-cowboys-wr-roy-williams-has-a-tryout-with-the-texan.html#storylink=cpy

Texecutioner
07-26-2012, 02:10 AM
How could anyone be happy about Roy Williams potentially making his way onto this team. That dude has been a disaster on 3 different teams and has displayed a poor work ethic and an ego to go with it. So what if he has a big body. That doesn't mean zilch when you suck. I'd take TO's old ass over Roy any day of the week, and I hate TO.

Wolf6151
07-26-2012, 02:11 AM
He's probably just a camp body, and motivation to the other guys to start working their asses off because you can be replaced. At least we've got nothing to lose by giving him a shot in training camp. Maybe he's finally found some motivation to play the game hard.

Texn4life
07-26-2012, 02:15 AM
How could anyone be happy about Roy Williams potentially making his way onto this team. That dude has been a disaster on 3 different teams and has displayed a poor work ethic and an ego to go with it. So what if he has a big body. That doesn't mean zilch when you suck. I'd take TO's old ass over Roy any day of the week, and I hate TO.

I'm with you on this one Tex. If I was going to take a guy with question marks why would you pick Roy over Plaxico or Braylon Edwards. I get that it's just a tryout, but this one doesn't make much sense to me. Mike Sims-Walker must have really been terrible if they passed over him to bring Roy in for a tryout.

GP
07-26-2012, 02:36 AM
Motivational move by Kubiak to scare the draftees into working harder..."or else..."

Have never thought he was as good as people made him out to be. He's a mouth who can't back it up on the field.

This is what happens when Dwigit Jones went AWOL on us: Kubiak fills his spot with Roy Williams. It's like Kubiak just HAS to have a WR project to dabble with. LOL.

valleytexfan
07-26-2012, 02:57 AM
If it's between Roy Williams and Bryant Johnson as the Chron says, I'd no doubt, 1000% make no mistake sure as ______ go with Johnson. He knows the offense from a year ago and can be even better with a whole Texans training camp this time around. Williams is done. Better to take a flyer on Bryant Johnson.

1bigfan13
07-26-2012, 03:54 AM
The Texans do not need to be wasting time looking at Roy Williams.

The guy is entirely too inconsistent.

Pass!

Grams
07-26-2012, 07:25 AM
The Texans do not need to be wasting time looking at Roy Williams.

The guy is entirely too inconsistent.

Pass!

We just got rid of 1 WR that could not catch, why do we need another?

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2012, 07:41 AM

It seems that his consistent history of being lazy and unmotivated hasnít stopped at least some team at one time or another from giving him a serious look. You have to wonder if you take him, are you just buying into an older version of Jacoby Jones.........that is, reaching for a bottle of Tums anytime a crucial pass comes his way.

2slik4u
07-26-2012, 08:24 AM

I typically NEVER agree with Texecutioner but in this case I do...except the part about TO.

I think they are damn near one in the same. Big bodied. Board hands. Have not been able to capatalize on the last few teams they've been on.

No thanks, move on down the road broseph...

Playoffs
07-26-2012, 08:40 AM
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/roywilliams-e1324038024951.jpg
Someone, please forward this to Rick Smith.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2012, 08:57 AM
I think this is an EXCELLENT idea.

Wait.

Hear me out.

We bring Roy Williams in. Then during training camp, we put Roy Williams and AJ side by side. We have them run the same routes and get thrown basically the same ball. AJ will run the right route, perfectly, and catch the ball. Roy Williams will run a lazy route and drop the ball.

So then we show all our rooks and 1st year WRs this contrast to make the point that one of these is the right way to go and the other is the NOT right way to go.

Then we cut Roy Williams.

Lesson learned.

Blake
07-26-2012, 09:04 AM
I dont think Roy will make it. If they keep on another vet, I would think Bryant since he played with us last year.

Vinny
07-26-2012, 09:10 AM
How much did Posey struggle? Is this due diligence or panic mode? Honestly, it can't hurt to take a look at Roy. He has a NFL body. If you don't throw a lot of money at him and he is in shape, it may not be a bad thing at all. He's been a disaster as Tex put it because he hasn't lived up to the big contract or the draft status. He won't have to worry about that here.

Third-round draft pick DeVier Posey and fourth-round pick Keshawn Martin have potential but are unproven and Posey struggled in minicamp.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/07/terrell-owens-is-not-getting-interest-but-former-cowboys-wr-roy-williams-has-a-tryout-with-the-texan.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

HoustonFrog
07-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Being a Cowboy fan and seeing him and then moving here to Chicago and seeing him...not a great plan, even if its a backup plan. Roy is a guy who comes in, has great quotes, looks great in practice and is seemingly well liked and then the games begin and you ask..."where is Roy Williams." That guy got so much air time up here and never materialized in the season.

Vinny
07-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Being a Cowboy fan and seeing him and then moving here to Chicago and seeing him...not a great plan, even if its a backup plan. Roy is a guy who comes in, has great quotes, looks great in practice and is seemingly well liked and then the games begin and you ask..."where is Roy Williams." That guy got so much air time up here and never materialized in the season.he fits in with the old Rick Smith mantra of being able to look good in shorts.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Right now, I'd easily choose Bryant Johnson over Williams.

Bryant Johnson = Better hands, knows our system and a much better pro

Roy Williams = Non of the above

That said, I'd assume there'd be more to pick from once cuts begin if we truly need a WR.

Rey
07-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I'll be in the minority here and say I think the competition is closer than most might think. Bryant has been here and knows the team and system, Roy has done more and has had the better career.

He hasn't lived up to his draft status, but he's been the better player.

Stemp
07-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Roy Williams will also take away some the defense's attention from AJ. He may drop the ball, but he's likely still athletic enough that they have to make sure he doesn't break free on the chance he actually makes the catch.

gtexan02
07-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Id like to bring in Chad Johnson personally. I know that wont be a popular opinion

HOU-TEX
07-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Id like to bring in Chad Johnson personally. I know that wont be a popular opinion

He's with the Dolphins.

Lucky
07-26-2012, 11:07 AM
I'll be in the minority here and say I think the competition is closer than most might think. Bryant has been here and knows the team and system, Roy has done more and has had the better career.

I don't think there is any competition between the two, as Bryant Johnson isn't on the roster (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html).

eriadoc
07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
IF he's actually being fairly evaluated in camp and has to truly earn a spot on the roster, then I have no problem with them bringing him in. So the question is: Do you have faith that Kubiak is going to fairly evaluate the guy, or do you think he's going to favor him somehow?

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2012, 12:03 PM
IF he's actually being fairly evaluated in camp and has to truly earn a spot on the roster, then I have no problem with them bringing him in. So the question is: Do you have faith that Kubiak is going to fairly evaluate the guy, or do you think he's going to favor him somehow?

I have no reason to think that Kubiak has any reason to favor roy Williams. He is not getting bunches of money and his flaws are well documented. The rookies need some prove they are better than some dude who has done something in the NFL and Williams fits that bill.

Overall, people are not going "like' whatever veterean spare the Texans eventually bring in. Everyone out there has major warts or they would not be jobless heading into camp.

HuttoKarl
07-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Wait.

Hear me out.

We bring Roy Williams in. Then during training camp, we put Roy Williams and AJ side by side. We have them run the same routes and get thrown basically the same ball. AJ will run the right route, perfectly, and catch the ball. Roy Williams will run a lazy route and drop the ball.

So then we show all our rooks and 1st year WRs this contrast to make the point that one of these is the right way to go and the other is the NOT right way to go.

Lesson learned.

I wanted to rep you for this post...sounds like a pretty brilliant idea.

Vinny
07-26-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't think there is any competition between the two, as Bryant Johnson isn't on the roster (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html).

I think people are throwing Johnson's name out there because John McClain did (don't look at me).

Rey
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM

Well, I've heard on the radio that both will be given tryouts to compete for who is signed.

I'm fully aware that neither player is on the roster.

BCRich
07-26-2012, 12:38 PM

That said, I'd assume there'd be more to pick from once cuts begin if we truly need a WR.

Bryant Johnson couldn't beat KDub for a spot on game day. Why go through that experience again?

We need a WR who is a better #2 option than KDub.

Let's let the FO look at the guy, let the coaches work him out. If he's got the tools, then it's up to them to get the most out of him on game day... if they sign him.

If they don't sign him, no big deal. But the object right now should be to get someone who can supplant Kevin Walter at the #2 spot. KDub isn't so bad that we have to "take what we can get" but it shouldn't stop us from kicking the tires on Roy Williams either.

badboy
07-26-2012, 12:50 PM
I'd like to trade some picks for Wallace who did not show up for Steelers TC.

Goldensilence
07-26-2012, 12:51 PM
I don't really understand why some people are opposed to at least bringing him in to see what he can bring to the table.

It's not likely he's going to be vying for a top 3 spot unless he just really goes balls to the wall in TC and pre-season. Martin and Posey are vritually guaranteed spots on the roster and I think with Jean healthy he should make a spot too. I think it's really unlikely that they carry 5 WRs this year unless someone just makes it impossible not to add that sixth spot for them.

I'd rather pass on Johnson, he just didn't seem able to capitalize on a chance to really make a splash on game day or on his chances of staying on the roster.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Bryant Johnson couldn't beat KDub for a spot on game day. Why go through that experience again?

We need a WR who is a better #2 option than KDub.

Let's let the FO look at the guy, let the coaches work him out. If he's got the tools, then it's up to them to get the most out of him on game day... if they sign him.

If they don't sign him, no big deal. But the object right now should be to get someone who can supplant Kevin Walter at the #2 spot. KDub isn't so bad that we have to "take what we can get" but it shouldn't stop us from kicking the tires on Roy Williams either.

Neither were brought in to replace KW. They're coming in for depth and to compete for a roster spot. "If he's got the tools"? Dude's been in the league for 8 years now. If he hasn't shown that he has the tools yet, he ain't going to. It doesn't take a FO to determine which of the two would fit best. Plus, this is a friggin message board, where people make observations and state opinions.

eriadoc
07-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I have no reason to think that Kubiak has any reason to favor roy Williams. He is not getting bunches of money and his flaws are well documented. The rookies need some prove they are better than some dude who has done something in the NFL and Williams fits that bill.

Exactly! So unless you think Kubiak is somehow going to tilt the tables in favor of Roy Williams, you should have no reason to dislike the Texans giving him a shot. If he shows that he's matured and can still play, and he somehow makes the team, then the Texans are a better team. If he shows that he's the same old Roy Williams, then he won't make the team and no harm, no foul.

The one exception I'd take is if they give him a million bucks just to show up to camp, a la Roosevelt Colvin some years back. That still annoys me.

paycheck71
07-26-2012, 01:12 PM

I'm pretty sure we can't afford him.

drunkcookie
07-26-2012, 01:37 PM
With as many rookies as the Texans have, i'm not opposed to bringing any vet in no matter who...competition is never bad... A fear that your job isn't secure is for sure motivational, in any line of work...

EllisUnit
07-26-2012, 01:39 PM
He has the size and the speed. I know he never really panned out BUT neither did jason babin until recently, now he is tearing it up. Give him a shot and u could be surprised, if it don't work out atleast u won't be dissapointed ;)

TexansFanatic
07-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Roy is one of those athletes who was blessed with off-the-charts natural ability and cursed with zero passion for the game.

It's conceivable he is just now realizing that his gift has an expiration date and he needs to enjoy what he's got while he's got it.

My guess is that it's extremely likely he will crap out again, but if he seems eager to play for a modest sum of money he needs to be given a shot.

rush2112mn
07-26-2012, 01:57 PM
I dont have a problem with them bringing in a vetern to look at and see what he has to offer.
Maybe he has something to offer....maybe not....
He did play under Wade Phillips at Dallas.
Maybe his attiude has changed since being cut....we will see......

barrett
07-26-2012, 02:36 PM
...you should have no reason to dislike the Texans giving him a shot. If he shows that he's matured and can still play, and he somehow makes the team, then the Texans are a better team.

Highlighted the hole in your reasoning. He never could play. There is nothing to see.

hobie
07-26-2012, 02:37 PM
I'd rather try out Plex !!

Hervoyel
07-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Wait.

Hear me out.

Lesson learned.

This. It's all about making a teaching-tool film to show the puppies how it is and isn't done.

Marcus
07-26-2012, 03:07 PM

Like a couple of 1st rounders, and a premium veteran player, maybe?

Think I'll pass on that one.

Hervoyel
07-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Being a little more serious has anyone ever not been able to catch consistently and then later in their career (assuming they managed to stick around despite not being able to catch consistently) suddenly become able to catch consistently?

Anybody? I can't think of anyone.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Meh

Calvin Watkins‏@calvinwatkins

Was told Texans just kicking tires on Roy Williams, nothing more.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Being a little more serious has anyone ever not been able to catch consistently and then later in their career (assuming they managed to stick around despite not being able to catch consistently) suddenly become able to catch consistently?

Anybody? I can't think of anyone.

It's usually happened gradually over a few years and early in the receiver's career.

When Jerry Rice first came into the league, the knock on him was his hands. His first season with the Niners, iirc, he had a case of stone hands. But he worked his ass off and got better and better.

AJ didn't have the greatest concentration early in his career and he'd drop some balls here and there. He's gotten infinitely better although he did have a few strange drops this year.

badboy
07-26-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm pretty sure we can't afford him.

I'm pretty sure I could cut enough to afford him. lol

eriadoc
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Highlighted the hole in your reasoning. He never could play. There is nothing to see.

82---1,310---16.0---60T---7

I'd take that. Hell, for a #2 or #3 WR, I'd take:

64---838---13.1---91T---5

Both of those are actual stat lines for Roy Williams, if you hadn't suspected.

badboy
07-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Like a couple of 1st rounders, and a premium veteran player, maybe?

Think I'll pass on that one.If Pittsburgh knows he is not going to play for them, do they pay him or get what they can? Yes, I would give two firsts for an all pro WR. I'd throw in Walter and Posey also.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2012, 03:59 PM

Please review the stats I posted here: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1985123&postcount=10 Unfortunately it does not seem that I'd bet the farm on either of their hands.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Let me just jump in and say this about Bryant Johnson... I don't see him as an option for anything but a camp body unless we have some sort of disaster that I don't even want to think about.

BJ had all of last season to figure things out. Sure, he didn't have OTAs and whatnot but the guy should have been able to do SOMETHING last season. We needed someone to step up and ended up trading for Derrick Mason halfway through the season. (OK. We didn't actually trade anything for Mason, we just took him off the Jets' hands.)

If he couldn't do better than 6 catches for 90 yards last year, I don't see much point in giving him another shot. And with Doc's drop percentage numbers... yeah, no.

I'd rather give the kids a shot.

pec0sb0b
07-26-2012, 05:03 PM
It's likely that there will be a few more free-agent wide receivers available as teams make their roster cutdowns at the end of August.

dalemurphy
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM

More biographical info on Roy Williams:

1. unwilling blocker
2. prima donna
3. sloppy route runner
4. can't play special teams
5. drops lots of passes

Ummm.... No thanks! Having a good stat line for a year or two at WR doesn't really tell the story. What was his catch % during those seasons? In addition to drops, he has never shown the ability to separate out of breaks in the NFL... Those stats likely reflect a lot of force-feeding.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2012, 05:19 PM
It's likely that there will be a few more free-agent wide receivers available as teams make their roster cutdowns at the end of August.

The problem with that could be that by then, the advantage of TC and learning the system is gone.......unless you can find one already familiar with the system.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2012, 05:21 PM
1. unwilling blocker
2. prima donna
3. sloppy route runner
5. drops lots of passes

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/roy-williams-lions.jpg

eriadoc
07-26-2012, 05:31 PM
More biographical info on Roy Williams:

1. unwilling blocker
2. prima donna
3. sloppy route runner
5. drops lots of passes

Ummm.... No thanks! Having a good stat line for a year or two at WR doesn't really tell the story. What was his catch % during those seasons? In addition to drops, he has never shown the ability to separate out of breaks in the NFL... Those stats likely reflect a lot of force-feeding.

Follow the conversation back upthread and you'll see that's not what was being discussed or addressed in my posts.

BCRich
07-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Isn't Plax still out there?

Texecutioner
07-26-2012, 05:42 PM

You can post his best stat years all you want, but it's a reason why he got dropped by 3 different teams all whom needed a lot of help at WR, and they still felt that he was worthless. The guy couldn't even shine on the freaking Cowboys in an offense that puts up really good offensive numbers, and got his job taken by like a 4th stringer and than by a rookie. Than he couldn't even do jack in Chicago and only lasted a season there. WR's his age don't somehow change and become quality players. Especially when they have problems with their hands, their attitude, and their work ethic. Roy is a waste to any team that picks him up. If we pick up Roy Williams, than we might as well have kept Jacoby Jones.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Isn't Plax still out there?

Yes.

b0ng
07-26-2012, 05:49 PM
I really don't care whether they bring in Roy Williams or not during TC. I doubt he makes it out but you know.

BCRich
07-26-2012, 05:51 PM
You can post his best stat years all you want, but it's a reason why he got dropped by 3 different teams all whom needed a lot of help at WR, and they still felt that he was worthless. The guy couldn't even shine on the freaking Cowboys in an offense that puts up really good offensive numbers, and got his job taken by like a 4th stringer and than by a rookie. Than he couldn't even do jack in Chicago and only lasted a season there. WR's his age don't somehow change and become quality players. Especially when they have problems with their hands, their attitude, and their work ethic. Roy is a waste to any team that picks him up. If we pick up Roy Williams, than we might as well have kept Jacoby Jones.

Well yeah, when you put it that way. But...

HOU-TEX
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
They are signing Bryant Johnson

Mark Berman‏@MarkBermanFox26

Per sources: Texans will sign Bryant Johnson and Keyaron Fox

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2012, 06:11 PM

AND Keyaron Fox!!!! :spin: :trophy:

Oh. Wait. Who the hell is Keyaron Fox?

eriadoc
07-26-2012, 06:12 PM
You can post his best stat years all you want, but it's a reason why he got dropped by 3 different teams all whom needed a lot of help at WR, and they still felt that he was worthless.

I'll tell you the same thing I told dalemurphy, and that's track back upthread and follow the conversation of my posts. I never said Roy Williams was even a good player, or that I even wanted him. I simply said that, as long as Kubiak isn't favoring him in some way, there's no risk to bringing him in. If he doesn't make the team, so be it. If he shows that he has matured and can still play, then even better. Someone said he never could play, and I posted his stats. Whatever problems you may have with Williams, his stats clearly show that he could play at some point at some level that belonged in the NFL. I never disputed any of the things you or dalemurphy pointed out.

Not so hard to follow, right?

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2012, 06:14 PM
AND Keyaron Fox!!!! :spin: :trophy:

Oh. Wait. Who the hell is Keyaron Fox?

Career back-up LB who was a good special teamer with the Steelers for four or five years.

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2012, 06:17 PM

So all of this wringing of hands was for nothing.

Texecutioner
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
I'll tell you the same thing I told dalemurphy, and that's track back upthread and follow the conversation of my posts. I never said Roy Williams was even a good player, or that I even wanted him. I simply said that, as long as Kubiak isn't favoring him in some way, there's no risk to bringing him in. If he doesn't make the team, so be it. If he shows that he has matured and can still play, then even better. Someone said he never could play, and I posted his stats. Whatever problems you may have with Williams, his stats clearly show that he could play at some point at some level that belonged in the NFL. I never disputed any of the things you or dalemurphy pointed out.

Not so hard to follow, right?

It's a huge risk as far as I'm concerned, because if he does make the team, than we've got a really bad WR that we'll have to count on at some point that never delivers. We just had that with Jacoby Jones already. It would be subtracting one bad problem at that position and adding another.

No, Roy was never really a good player. He was always capable of being a very good player. He had one very good season where his stats got overblown due to being the only weapon in Detroit where the ball was forced his way. One season out of like 8 or 9 doesn't make a guy someone who was a good player though. It just means he had one season where he played well. He is to old to all of a sudden change his ways and become this completely different guy. That just doesn't happen with players his age that have had as many issues as Roy has.

TexansFanatic
07-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Texans Pass on Williams (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/26/texans-bring-back-bryant-johnson-pass-on-roy-williams/)

TEXANS84
07-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm glad they signed Johnson over Williams, but I'm still a little bit confused on why we wont bring Plaxico in for a tryout. The guy has openly stated he'd play for the Texans, and he'd be a fantastic redzone reciever that would at the very least take pressure away from Arian on near goal line situations.

Texecutioner
07-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Texans Pass on Williams (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/26/texans-bring-back-bryant-johnson-pass-on-roy-williams/)

Thank god!

Texecutioner
07-26-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm glad they signed Johnson over Williams, but I'm still a little bit confused on why we wont bring Plaxico in for a tryout. The guy has openly stated he'd play for the Texans, and he'd be a fantastic redzone reciever that would at the very least take pressure away from Arian on near goal line situations.

I don't understand it either. It's really stupid that we don't go after Plex in my opinion either. He showed that he can still play well enough to be a decent #2 on this team and a great RZ threat.

My guess is that it's because of his past. You know that you're out of the question if you've got as much as a parking ticket as far as this franchise goes. Bob only wants Boyscouts.

DX-TEX
07-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't understand it either. It's really stupid that we don't go after Plex in my opinion either. He showed that he can still play well enough to be a decent #2 on this team and a great RZ threat.

My guess is that it's because of his past. You know that you're out of the question if you've got as much as a parking ticket as far as this franchise goes. Bob only wants Boyscouts.

I would agree but they talked to him before last season. Im starting to think he wants more money tahn what anyone is offering. Someone should have called him but nope.

drs23
07-26-2012, 08:02 PM

I agree to an extent Tex though I see times a changin' a little at least. Posey is one example. Most all were taken aback with that choice. The FO vetted him to the extreme and drafted him. Bryan Braman is another example. They took a chance on him after his shroom gig. Granted it was at the urging of a former coach and to this point it seems like a solid move.

That said these player's bad choices pale in comparison to Plax's shooting himself but to me he seems to be a changed man and IMHO he sure is a much better RZ target than Bryant Johnson. BJ did snag one TD pass in the RZ but Plax had, what, nine? (going off memory, correct me if I'm wrong). His actions tell me that he *might* have matured somewhat. I think he can really help the team. I doubt we'll see him in a Texans uni but I'd not ***** if he was. I really do think he could be an asset.

As others have stated in different threads we'll have to hide-N-watch what shakes out when camp cuts start happening.

On a Pollyanna note there's an outside chance that the rooks kick ass in TC.

How cool would that be? Fingers crossed.

Texecutioner
07-26-2012, 08:11 PM
I agree to an extent Tex though I see times a changin' a little at least. Posey is one example. Most all were taken aback with that choice. The FO vetted him to the extreme and drafted him. Bryan Braman is another example. They took a chance on him after his shroom gig. Granted it was at the urging of a former coach and to this point it seems like a solid move.

That said these player's bad choices pale in comparison to Plax's shooting himself but to me he seems to be a changed man and IMHO he sure is a much better RZ target than Bryant Johnson. BJ did snag one TD pass in the RZ but Plax had, what, nine? (going off memory, correct me if I'm wrong). His actions tell me that he *might* have matured somewhat. I think he can really help the team. I doubt we'll see him in a Texans uni but I'd not ***** if he was. I really do think he could be an asset.

As others have stated in different threads we'll have to hide-N-watch what shakes out when camp cuts start happening.

On a Pollyanna note there's an outside chance that the rooks kick ass in TC.

How cool would that be? Fingers crossed.

I used to not be able to stand Plex man. Can't stand overly entitled athletes who don't want to work hard and make a mockery of a great sport where you're privlidged as much as they are to play this game in front of Millions of people.

That was old PLex before he went to jail though.

I see a changed man now who realizes he made horrible mistakes, lost a year or so of his life with his family and his career. I have seen and heard nothing but positive things from Plex since he came back. I think the Texans would be a perfect fit for Plex. Really disappointed that Bob and Rick won't take advantage of the opportunity and would waste time on a guy like Roy who has always had even more talent than Plex, but has always had an even worse attitude than Plex and not even nearly as good of a player. And Bryant Johnson isn't worth a **** either.

BCRich
07-26-2012, 08:16 PM
I used to not be able to stand Plex man. Can't stand overly entitled athletes who don't want to work hard and make a mockery of a great sport where you're privlidged as much as they are to play this game in front of Millions of people.

That was old PLex before he went to jail though.

I see a changed man now who realizes he made horrible mistakes, lost a year or so of his life with his family and his career. I have seen and heard nothing but positive things from Plex since he came back. I think the Texans would be a perfect fit for Plex. Really disappointed that Bob and Rick won't take advantage of the opportunity and would waste time on a guy like Roy who has always had even more talent than Plex, but has always had an even worse attitude than Plex and not even nearly as good of a player. And Bryant Johnson isn't worth a **** either.
I thought Plax was always a hard worker. Didn't know he had work ethic issues.

Guess you learn something new every day.

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2012, 08:21 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BurrPl00.htm

Plaxico stats

Texecutioner
07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
I thought Plax was always a hard worker. Didn't know he had work ethic issues.

Guess you learn something new every day.

You serious man? Plex had a horrible reputation for years for dogging it man. I'm really not sure how you could have missed that. Why do you think the Steelers traded him? He was known as Plexiglass over there and became hated by a lot of Steelers fans for how bad his attitude was. In NY he seemed to improve on the field, but he always was making the news for getting Coughlin ticked off and Eli as well. Several times he didn't start for missing team meetings and for dogging it at practice. His last season there he was heavily criticized and was possibly on his way out of NY. Ples probably could have had much better numbers throughout his career had he taken his game more seriously. At least he has now. Unfortunately it took a prison sentence to do that though. I'd love to bring the new Plex over here to be a #2 or #3 WR though. I think he would really embrace this team.

Texn4life
07-26-2012, 09:11 PM
You serious man? Plex had a horrible reputation for years for dogging it man. I'm really not sure how you could have missed that. Why do you think the Steelers traded him? He was known as Plexiglass over there and became hated by a lot of Steelers fans for how bad his attitude was. In NY he seemed to improve on the field, but he always was making the news for getting Coughlin ticked off and Eli as well. Several times he didn't start for missing team meetings and for dogging it at practice. His last season there he was heavily criticized and was possibly on his way out of NY. Ples probably could have had much better numbers throughout his career had he taken his game more seriously. At least he has now. Unfortunately it took a prison sentence to do that though. I'd love to bring the new Plex over here to be a #2 or #3 WR though. I think he would really embrace this team.

This is one situation where we agree 100 percent!

Texecutioner
07-26-2012, 09:40 PM
This is one situation where we agree 100 percent!

:toast2:

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2012, 11:35 PM
So all of this wringing of hands was for nothing.

No. It was for something. It helped us pass the time until TC starts and we start getting something real to argue about.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Whenever I think of Plaxico, I think of a play he made as a rookie where he made a catch for a first down, fell down, and got up and spiked the ball in celebration while pointing that he had made a first down.

Unfortunately, no one had touched him and it was ruled a fumble. The other team recovered.

I can't think of him without thinking of that play.

Brisco_County
07-26-2012, 11:39 PM
It's about his asking price. The Texans FO would probably need more convincing than most teams when it comes to Plax.

TexanBacker93
07-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Does anyone here know that the reason Plexico isn't in camp is because the Texans made that choice?

Maybe they made a call and he had no interest. I consider him a "me first" receiver along the lines of a TO. I would imagine those players wouldn't want to come here with a "team first" receiver like Andre.

It isn't always on the team when the best players available don't come to Houston.

Blake
07-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Plexiglass can continue to beg the Panthers for a job for all I care. Dude is NOT Texans material.

El Tejano
07-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Does anyone here know that the reason Plexico isn't in camp is because the Texans made that choice?

Maybe they made a call and he had no interest. I consider him a "me first" receiver along the lines of a TO. I would imagine those players wouldn't want to come here with a "team first" receiver like Andre.

It isn't always on the team when the best players available don't come to Houston.

I'd accept that had I never heard him say that Houston would be a dream situation for him. I think we called, I think he gave his price and we simply walked away.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I'd accept that had I never heard him say that Houston would be a dream situation for him. I think we called, I think he gave his price and we simply walked away.

Yeah, but... Plaxico was saying that about EVERY team. It wasn't just us. And if I remember that interview correctly, he didn't bring us up. One of the interviewers asked about the Texans and Plaxico lit up and said, "Oh, YEAH! That would be a dream situation." But he was talking about other teams and I don't think he considered us one of his prime targets before the interviewer brought us up.

You could have asked Plaxico about any of the 32 teams out there and I suspect he would have had a glowing reason for why he wanted to go there.

drunkcookie
07-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but... Plaxico was saying that about EVERY team. It wasn't just us. And if I remember that interview correctly, he didn't bring us up. One of the interviewers asked about the Texans and Plaxico lit up and said, "Oh, YEAH! That would be a dream situation." But he was talking about other teams and I don't think he considered us one of his prime targets before the interviewer brought us up.

You could have asked Plaxico about any of the 32 teams out there and I suspect he would have had a glowing reason for why he wanted to go there.

Okay? So....he would probably want to play here, then!

It seems a lot of teams are playing some type of waiting game with Plax, trying to get him for as little as possible... I really hope the Texans can get him into camp, but i think someone will pay him too much real soon...

beerlover
07-27-2012, 12:35 PM

My guess is that Wade Phillips signed off on working him out so I see no harm in giving him another chance :)

Goldensilence
07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Signed Bryant Johnson again. Jippie.

Well I guess if we're going to sign a camp body at WR he was going to probably be cheaper.

I just don't see the point really. Johnson did absolutely nothing noteworthy last year and he had a BIG opportunity to make a splash. He didn't even make a ripple.

I am really hoping one of the rookies or Lestar makes a real big impact, because if they don't, we have to really hope AJ is healthy all year.

False Start
07-27-2012, 01:39 PM

Good!

Did not want! http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/crazyeyes8.png

Dutchrudder
07-27-2012, 01:55 PM
It doesn't really matter to me which one of these guys signed, neither one will be on a 53man roster come September. Just camp bodies, that's all.

ArlingtonTexan
07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Signed Bryant Johnson again. Jippie.

Well I guess if we're going to sign a camp body at WR he was going to probably be cheaper.

I just don't see the point really. Johnson did absolutely nothing noteworthy last year and he had a BIG opportunity to make a splash. He didn't even make a ripple.

I am really hoping one of the rookies or Lestar makes a real big impact, because if they don't, we have to really hope AJ is healthy all year.

You used the key word. the texans are hoping with the WR position this year. Once it became obvious that the Texans were really up against the cap, hope became the plan (and generally a bad thing)

1) Andre staying healthy for 16 games
2) Kevin Walter returning to his form two or three years ago
3) dudes who never caught a pass in the NFL (Jean, Posey, etc)
4) Veteran minimum flawed dudes (sims-walker, R. williams, Plaxico, B. Johnson)..different forms of hope but ALL hopes, not plans.

GNTLEWOLF
07-27-2012, 06:27 PM
You used the key word. the texans are hoping with the WR position this year. Once it became obvious that the Texans were really up against the cap, hope became the plan (and generally a bad thing)

1) Andre staying healthy for 16 games
2) Kevin Walter returning to his form two or three years ago
3) dudes who never caught a pass in the NFL (Jean, Posey, etc)
4) Veteran minimum flawed dudes (sims-walker, R. williams, Plaxico, B. Johnson)..different forms of hope but ALL hopes, not plans.

Here it is...the day before training camp....the beginning of a new season; with hope abounding for the coming year, you go and slap us in the face with reality...thanks a lot man!....:dangit:

ArlingtonTexan
07-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Here it is...the day before training camp....the beginning of a new season; with hope abounding for the coming year, you go and slap us in the face with reality...thanks a lot man!....:dangit:

Sorry, we have great young group of WRs that are going to overtake Walter this year and one of them will eventually replace Andre Johnson as the number 1.

:hurrah::koolaid::logo:

Corrosion
07-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Sorry, we have great young group of WRs that are going to overtake Walter this year and one of them will eventually replace Andre Johnson as the number 1.

:hurrah::koolaid::logo:

They may pass AJ by eventually .... but that will be based more on his decline than their ascent.

Also , I dont believe you "replace" a guy like #80 .... You just hoped to replace his production from multiple guy's. The other things he brings just arent replacable.

ArlingtonTexan
07-27-2012, 09:55 PM
They may pass AJ by eventually .... but that will be based more on his decline than their ascent.

Also , I dont believe you "replace" a guy like #80 .... You just hoped to replace his production from multiple guy's. The other things he brings just arent replacable.

My previous post was full of :sarcasm: