PDA

View Full Version : PFT Power Ranking: Texans #7

CloakNNNdagger
07-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Preseason Power Rankings No. 7: Houston Texans (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/21/preseason-power-rankings-no-7-houston-texans/)
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 21, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Coming off the first playoff berth and 10-win season in franchise history, the Texans can’t help but feel it should have been better.

They were 7-3 when Matt Schaub suffered a foot injury, ending his season and throwing the potential for a deep playoff push out the window. T.J. Yates proved himself capable last year, but the Texans were at such a higher level than capable that the disappointment was palpable

They finished last year ranked in the league’s top 10 in scoring on both sides of the ball, and have added parts to the defense that could make it better.

And with General Manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak getting contract extensions, there’s a clear sense that the Texans are on the verge of something big.

When you can let players such as former No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams walk with no return, it’s clear that they’re building a sustainable franchise, and could be a factor for years to come.

drs23
07-21-2012, 07:11 PM
...and folks around the country are realizing it. This from a Buffalo fan:

rabidbillsfan says:
Jul 21, 2012 4:05 PM
@oilman

I have to disagree with you. As a Bills fan, this is the team I think Buffalo can be in the next few years. There is almost no weakness to this team. Shut down AJ, Owen Daniels steps up. Shut down the passing game, Foster will run all over you. Shut down the offense? That defense will keep it close so it can be a 1 score game. There is no other team in the NFL that boasts this much balance. As long as their core stays relativley healthy, and not all of the guys go down at once or for extended periods of time, this team is a favorite in the AFC. I think the road to the superbowl goes through Texas, and no, not Dallas.

This was one of the responses to to the article Doc posted.

Kinda slow on the news scene and I'm always up for a little Texans love. :kingkong:

bckey
07-22-2012, 10:17 AM
That is one of the best responses from a fan of another team about our Texans that I have ever read.

BullBlitz
07-22-2012, 01:31 PM
One thing that is notable about the article is that he didn't mention Joel Dreesen's departure. I wonder how closely he really follows the team.

Lucky
07-22-2012, 01:39 PM
One thing that is notable about the article is that he didn't mention Joel Dreesen's departure. I wonder how closely he really follows the team.
Losing backup Tight Ends don't usually cause a blip on the radar. Dreessen played well for the Texans, but his slack can (and should) be taken up by Casey. I thought it was one of the more accurate previews I've seen of the Texans.

BullBlitz
07-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Losing backup Tight Ends don't usually cause a blip on the radar. Dreessen played well for the Texans, but his slack can (and should) be taken up by Casey. I thought it was one of the more accurate previews I've seen of the Texans.

So, either you don't follow the team either, or you don't know what to look at.

He had twice as many TD receptions as anyone else last year. That's a notable omission. This looks like just another homer preview.

As far as Casey, he has been on the roster for a few years, had his opportunities to replace Dreesen as a "backup tight end", and never could do it.

thunderkyss
07-22-2012, 01:51 PM
As far as Casey, he has been on the roster for a few years, had his opportunities to replace Dreesen as a "backup tight end", and never could do it.

Except Kubiak had managed to utilize all three of our "TEs" on gameday, even going so far as "featuring" Casey in one. It was Casey's versatility that allowed us to move him to Full Back/H-Back... not that he "wasn't good enough"

Then again, Casey is still on the team, Dressen is not. That sounds like a replacement to me.

BullBlitz
07-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Except Kubiak had managed to utilize all three of our "TEs" on gameday, even going so far as "featuring" Casey in one. It was Casey's versatility that allowed us to move him to Full Back/H-Back... not that he "wasn't good enough"

Then again, Casey is still on the team, Dressen is not. That sounds like a replacement to me.

It's a replacement, just like putting on a spare tire, but it's a downgrade.

To use your example, when Kubiak only had two TEs on the field, it was always OD and Dreesen. Casey was "featured" only when they used three. He never could displace Dreesen to get out of being third string TE, because Dreesen was clearly better.

DBCooper
07-22-2012, 02:03 PM

He had twice as many TD receptions as anyone else last year. That's a notable omission. This looks like just another homer preview.

So aggressive. Might want to switch to decaf.

Do you follow the Texans? Because Casey was a total badass until he got injured last year.

Joel who?

We won't even notice he's gone.

BullBlitz
07-22-2012, 02:11 PM
So aggressive. Might want to switch to decaf.

Do you follow the Texans? Because Casey was a total badass until he got injured last year.

Joel who?

We won't even notice he's gone.

If you're asking who Joel Dreesen is, then you must not follow the Texans either. He's been a contributor for us for years.

I hope he does well with the Broncos.

The Pencil Neck
07-22-2012, 03:01 PM
To use your example, when Kubiak only had two TEs on the field, it was always OD and Dreesen.

I'm almost definitely sure that's not true but I don't have access to the games anymore so I can't go back and look. I'm not saying it wasn't MOSTLY OD and Dreessen but I think there were lots of plays with other combinations of TEs.

The Medic01
07-22-2012, 03:29 PM

He did have some good plays but have you noticed how completely open he was on most of those plays. On probably 80% of them no one was within ten yards. And it wasnt because of some great route running skills the play action in the redzone just totally fooled the other team.Casey has the best hands on the team I am pretty sure he could run into an uncovered area and then catch a ball that my 10 year old son could catch. Not taking anything away from him and he did have some not so easy plays but most of his plays he was basically uncovered.

Texn4life
07-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Everyone's fanhood being called into question today?

drunkcookie
07-22-2012, 04:39 PM

I understand some may feel Dreesen will be easily replaced, but you almost "have" to mention the departure! He was one of the most solid #2s in the league...

I feel Casey and Graham combined can more than replace Dreesen's production, but it's still a big deal...Dreesen was actually good...

DBCooper
07-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Everyone's fanhood being called into question today?

"can't be a fan cuz he doesn't smoke, the same cigarettes as me. I can't get no....da na naaaaa........"

Lucky
07-22-2012, 05:36 PM

"Don't follow the team", or "don't know what I'm looking at"? Tough call. Um, I'm going to go with "don't know what I'm looking at".

Despite my analytical disability, I do somehow know how to spell Dreessen's name. Go figure.

BullBlitz
07-22-2012, 06:09 PM
"Don't follow the team", or "don't know what I'm looking at"? Tough call. Um, I'm going to go with "don't know what I'm looking at".

Despite my analytical disability, I do somehow know how to spell Dreessen's name. Go figure.

Congrats.

The good news is that the season starts soon, and we will get to see the ramifications of these player changes.

Texan_Bill
07-22-2012, 07:15 PM
...and folks around the country are realizing it. This from a Buffalo fan:

rabidbillsfan says:
Jul 21, 2012 4:05 PM
@oilman

I have to disagree with you. As a Bills fan, this is the team I think Buffalo can be in the next few years. There is almost no weakness to this team. Shut down AJ, Owen Daniels steps up. Shut down the passing game, Foster will run all over you. Shut down the offense? That defense will keep it close so it can be a 1 score game. There is no other team in the NFL that boasts this much balance. As long as their core stays relativley healthy, and not all of the guys go down at once or for extended periods of time, this team is a favorite in the AFC. I think the road to the superbowl goes through Texas, and no, not Dallas.

This was one of the responses to to the article Doc posted.

Kinda slow on the news scene and I'm always up for a little Texans love. :kingkong:

That is one of the best responses from a fan of another team about our Texans that I have ever read.

Yup... That was a pretty awesome response.

thunderkyss
07-22-2012, 07:46 PM
It's a replacement, just like putting on a spare tire, but it's a downgrade.

To use your example, when Kubiak only had two TEs on the field, it was always OD and Dreesen. Casey was "featured" only when they used three. He never could displace Dreesen to get out of being third string TE, because Dreesen was clearly better.

No, that's not what I said. There were plenty of times when it was just OD & Casey, or Dressen & Casey, or Casey & no TEs.

And instead of thinking in terms of downgrade, think more in terms of letting Casey acclimate to the game. Lots of positions, players don't really develop until their third or fourth year (take Derell Revis for example).

Let's not make it seem like Dressen was a pro-bowl TE, or that he was irreplaceable. We picked him up as a free agent, he wasn't on anyone's radar. We let him go. He wasn't on anyone's radar.

I can't wait to see what he's able to do with Peyton Manning, the way Peyton has a knack for making TEs.

TheMatrix31
07-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Good preview. ALL about health.

I DO think we'll miss Joel Dreesen more than people think. A player doesn't have to be a star to be severely missed.

76Texan
07-23-2012, 09:56 AM
No, that's not what I said. There were plenty of times when it was just OD & Casey, or Dressen & Casey, or Casey & no TEs.

And instead of thinking in terms of downgrade, think more in terms of letting Casey acclimate to the game. Lots of positions, players don't really develop until their third or fourth year (take Derell Revis for example).

Let's not make it seem like Dressen was a pro-bowl TE, or that he was irreplaceable. We picked him up as a free agent, he wasn't on anyone's radar. We let him go. He wasn't on anyone's radar.

I can't wait to see what he's able to do with Peyton Manning, the way Peyton has a knack for making TEs.

Here are some snap counts taken by a certain websites for the first 3 games of the season.
It indicated that Casey played FB.
(This is not entirely correct as I've gone back and watched the first half of the first two games; Casey did have a few snaps at TE, but not very many).

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Week1.2011O.pdf

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Week2O.pdf

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/OffenseWeek3.jpg

So, we saw that early in the season, Casey played mostly at FB.
He could motion from FB to the slot, to wide out, or to the TE position (rarely) and vice versa; so yeah, when we talked about the 2-TE set, it was most usually O.D. and Dreessen.

In the final game of the season, we rest O.D. and therefore Casey saw plenty of action as a TE in the 2-TE set.
He made a couple of great catches; so if he's to see more action as a TE (along with Graham, whom we know to have pass catching skills from Wisconsin), we shouldn't miss Dreessen's catching ability.
It's the blocking that is in question as Dreessen was rated by PFF as the #3 blocking TE; he's much more proven in this aspect.

I agree that most of the TD catches he made were due to either the scheme (Play Action) or a lapse in coverage that allowed him to be open; but he also did well on his own. I see him as at least average in his route running and catching ability.

According to PFF, Casey saw limited action in the play-offs 26 snaps as opposed to 95 for Dreessen.

With little known depth at both TE and FB, I can see a case to be made for missing Dreessen.

So in summarize, I think both sides have valid arguments.

Perki-Perk
07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
If you're asking who Joel Dreesen is, then you must not follow the Texans either. He's been a contributor for us for years.

I hope he does well with the Broncos.

Poster 1: Rur, rur rur rur!

Poster 2: Bur rur rur rur rur!

Poster 1: buuuur!

Poster 2: Bu rururur.

That's pretty much all I got our of the back and forths there.

76Texan
07-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Kubiak indicated at the end of OTAs that they could sign another veteran at the position to help replace Dreessen.

“We’ve normally had a physical tight end around here to go with O.D.,” Kubiak said. “We don’t have that presence right now. That’s something (general manager) Rick (Smith) and I are looking at.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/2012-Texans-Season-Preview-Tight-End/8733465e-9043-4e1a-942e-184c0b0489d4

welsh texan
07-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Don't get me wrong, Dreessen is good at what he does, but hardly irreplaceable. A big factor in him being open in goal-line situations was the fact that once you've covered AJ, Walter, OD, Foster/Tate coming out of the backfield, you then try to cover Joel, just a little too late. Casey will also benefit from that too.

I saw plenty from Casey last season pre-injury to make me confident that we get playmaking ability from him and lots of versatility as well which will go some way to making up for his deficiencies vs. Dreessen.

What is the point in building through the draft if you never allow a vet to move on and be replaced by a previous draft pick who's played understudy for years?

Anyway, after everything thats happened this off-season, that the thing people are most worried about is whether our proven #3 TE can replace our proven #2 TE then I guess confidence is pretty high.