PDA

View Full Version : BR predicts 12-4 season for Texans - What Say You?

ObsiWan
07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Other than the fact it's from the Bleacher Report (LINK (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1262548-predicting-regular-season-w-l-records-for-every-nfl-team-in-2012/page/14)), what do you think of the odds we finish the season at 12-4? I'm thinking another 10-6 year or maybe 11-5.

What say you?

One would think that if the Texans would have had a healthy Matt Schaub, they might have gone a little deeper into the playoffs. The passing game didn't have the same explosion when T.J. Yates was in the game. Don't get me wrong, he outperformed many people's expectations and didn't let anyone ever rattle him too much.
Losing Mario Williams won't prove to be that big of a loss as they played almost the entire season without him, but losing Joel Dreessen might be devastating. He caught passes, run blocked, pass blocked, everything. There wasn't anything he didn't excel at in the Texans offense.
For four weeks straight during the season, the Texans won't leave Houston. Weeks 6, 7 and 9 are all home games while their bye is smushed in at Week 8. It will be a good time for them to kind of regroup, as three of their four previous games will be on the road prior to Week 6.
Houston should have no problem running away with the division for the second straight year

Norg
07-18-2012, 03:26 PM
all the predictions i seen are like #1 or #2 seed and getting to the super bowl and winning it and some have us losing it

either way i hope the are right

i think us here in houston who know the team are more doubtful just because we know the team and are used to something going wrong

7-9
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

like thoes years

ObsiWan
07-18-2012, 03:49 PM
all the predictions i seen are like #1 or #2 seed and getting to the super bowl and winning it and some have us losing it

either way i hope the are right

i think us here in houston who know the team are more doubtful just because we know the team and are used to something going wrong

7-9
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

like thoes years

Still... I'm, as they say, "cautiously optimistic" and will go with 10-6 or 11-5.
:fans:

Playoffs
07-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Other than the fact it's from the Bleacher Report Can't get past that. ;)

But I'll go with 9-7.

paycheck71
07-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Other than the fact it's from the Bleacher Report (LINK (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1262548-predicting-regular-season-w-l-records-for-every-nfl-team-in-2012/page/14)), what do you think of the odds we finish the season at 12-4? I'm thinking another 10-6 year or maybe 11-5.

What say you?

[COLOR=#373737][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]

As a Texans fan, of course I'm optimistic, hoping for the best, but 12-4 seems like a best case scenario to me. Our schedule is more difficult, we have question marks with key players coming back from injuries, question marks at the receiver position, and we lost the right side of our OL. Feels like the offence may take a step back.

But let's hope they're right.

disaacks3
07-18-2012, 04:09 PM
As a Texans fan, of course I'm optimistic, hoping for the best, but 12-4 seems like a best case scenario to me. Our schedule is more difficult, we have question marks with key players coming back from injuries, question marks at the receiver position, and we lost the right side of our OL. Feels like the offence may take a step back.

But let's hope they're right. Bolded is my biggest question mark. I can't quite wrap my head around 12-4.

Blake
07-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I dont think there is any way we will lose less than 5 games.

Greenbay, @ Jets, @Detroit, @New England, Baltimore.

And in this scenario I am giving wins @CHI, @DEN, vsBUF.

11-5 sounds about right to me.

Hervoyel
07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm firmly in the 11-5 camp. I'd like 12-4 and think it's entirely possible but my innate pessimism keeps me from predicting anything beyond 11-5.

Honestly, if I thought we had a good chance of going 16-0 I'd probably still say 11-5. I guess it comes from living my entire life in Houston and following the Oilers from an early age.

TEXANRED
07-18-2012, 04:54 PM
I predict a 9-7 record. Tough tough schedule, NFC North and AFC East. The good news is the Titans have to play the same schedule and we are the better team meaning we should win the division thereby making the playoffs.

I think that playing the tougher schedule will make the Texans more prepared for the playoffs getting us to, and winning, the Superbowl.

bayoudreamn
07-18-2012, 06:07 PM
There's no reason we shouldn't win every game on the schedule.

Thorn
07-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Can't predict wins and loses very well, so I'll just say anything less than another division championship is unacceptable and minimal at best.

waddy
07-18-2012, 07:04 PM
11-5

ObsiWan
07-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Just to keep you from having to dig this up, here's the schedule again.

09/09 --- Dolphins
09/16 --- @ Jags
09/23 --- @ Broncos
09/30 --- Titans
10/08 --- @ Jets (MNF)
10/14 --- Packers (SNF)
10/21 --- Ravens
10/28 --- B-Y-E week
11/04 --- Bills
11/11 --- @ Bears (SNF)
11/18 --- Jags
11/22 --- Lions (Turkey Day)
12/02 --- @ Titans
12/10 --- @ Patriots (MNF)
12/16 --- Colts
12/23 --- Vikings
12/30 --- @ Colts

Lawd... I'd forgotten how many primetime games we have this year!
For better or worse, we won't go unnoticed this season
:photos:

TEXANRED
07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Just to keep you from having to dig this up, here's the schedule again.

09/09 --- Dolphins
09/16 --- @ Jags
09/23 --- @ Broncos
09/30 --- Titans
10/08 --- @ Jets (MNF)
10/14 --- Packers (SNF)
10/21 --- Ravens
10/28 --- B-Y-E week
11/04 --- Bills
11/11 --- @ Bears (SNF)
11/18 --- Jags
11/22 --- Lions (Turkey Day)
12/02 --- @ Titans
12/10 --- @ Patriots (MNF)
12/16 --- Colts
12/23 --- Vikings
12/30 --- @ Colts

Lawd... I'd forgotten how many primetime games we have this year!
For better or worse, we won't go unnoticed this season
:photos:

I remember we pitched an O'fer a few years back in prime time. 0-3 in front of the nation.

Double Barrel
07-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Like Thorn, I'm horrible at predictions. But, I do have expectations. And anything less than another division title would be a very huge letdown this season. I'm already saving funds for two seats at Reliant in January.

TexansFanatic
07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Kubiak needs to pray the division is as weak in 2012 as it was in 2011. And even with that weak division last season, he still managed to lose to the Colts.

I'm hopeful the Texans find their way to the playoffs for the second consecutive season. But I don't see them winning more than nine games. If the division remains weak, they'll go to the playoffs again.

9-7

drs23
07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm, as a rule, a very optimistic kool-aider. That being said, with our untested, inexperienced WR corps and to a lesser extent the right side of the OL in conjunction with the division winner schedule we earned I see a low side of 9&7 to 10&6. I'd love to see us @ 12&4 but I don't see it happening.

9&7 should still deliver the AFC South crown and then it's Katy bar the door. I *think* a 9&7 team has flown home with the prize before. :thinking:

ThaShark316
07-19-2012, 12:30 AM
13-3.

That's with a straight face. Team is ****ING GOOD.

Ryan
07-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Even when i'm being pretty generous with the losses I still see 10-6 at worst.

Norg
07-19-2012, 04:46 AM
tho u can never predict due to injures the good thing i seen on our sechudle
is the pakers and ravens the two hardest teams IMO our at home so lucky us on that

but u never know ravens could be a joke this year and like the Bills game would prob be the toughest game we have all season u never know

thunderkyss
07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
As a Texans fan, of course I'm optimistic, hoping for the best, but 12-4 seems like a best case scenario to me. Our schedule is more difficult...

But let's hope they're right.

Technically speaking, this years S.O.S. is the easiest it's been in the Kubiak era. It's the only time it's been below .500

No reason we shouldn't be 12-4 if we're not, something went wrong during the season & we didn't handle it very well.

Blake
07-19-2012, 08:15 AM
There's no reason we shouldn't win every game on the schedule.

Yes there is. Their names are Rodgers, Brady, Megatron, Revis and Mario Williams.

Rey
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm Cautiously optimistic at this point.

I don't predict records. I don't know how to do that.

I'll just say I expect to be in the play-offs.

paycheck71
07-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Technically speaking, this years S.O.S. is the easiest it's been in the Kubiak era. It's the only time it's been below .500

No reason we shouldn't be 12-4 if we're not, something went wrong during the season & we didn't handle it very well.

That's because we're playing 2-14 Colts twice and 3-13 Vikings once. And we don't play them until the last three weeks of the season. Don't kid yourself, this schedule is not easier than last year's. In terms of winning %age, SOS never looks the same at the end of the season as it does at the beginning.

DX-TEX
07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
No way we lose to the Pats or Ravens this year. Like the Steelers game last year they are a defining games.

19-0 or 6-10. One of those two.

AnthonyE
07-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I remember we pitched an O'fer a few years back in prime time. 0-3 in front of the nation.

Yeah, but that was the 05 season. I'd say we're a lot better off now.

TejasTom
07-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Yes there is. Their names are Rodgers, Brady, Megatron, Revis and Mario Williams.

I can't remember a single game where I thought, we won that game because of Mario.

I'll go 11-5.

thunderkyss
07-19-2012, 01:07 PM
That's because we're playing 2-14 Colts twice and 3-13 Vikings once. And we don't play them until the last three weeks of the season. Don't kid yourself, this schedule is not easier than last year's. In terms of winning %age, SOS never looks the same at the end of the season as it does at the beginning.

We also play the jags twice & the Titans twice and for the first time they (as ) as the Colts are quantifiably worse than we are. We should sweep the division this year. Never before has that been the case. I know we say it all the time. But it's never been as true as it is now.

I know the SOS isn't a very accurate representation of the teams we're going to face in 2012 however it's just as accurate as saying we''ll be fielding the #2 defense. Apples to apples, this is the easiest schedule we''ve started a year against. The only reason we think it's tough is we expect the Bears, Lions, and Jets to be better than they were in 2011

ckhouston
07-19-2012, 01:14 PM
I dont think there is any way we will lose less than 5 games.

Greenbay, @ Jets, @Detroit, @New England, Baltimore.

And in this scenario I am giving wins @CHI, @DEN, vsBUF.

11-5 sounds about right to me.

What team are you a fan of?

Not the Texans obviously.

We will beat GB, DET and BMore and most likely NE.

We will be 13-3 or 12-4

steelbtexan
07-19-2012, 01:16 PM
With an easy schedule last yr they finished 10-6

This yr 9-7 is about right. Luckily that should be enough to win the division.

You've got to take into account Garys history of going conservative and losing 1-2 games a yr that he should win.

thunderkyss
07-19-2012, 01:18 PM
I can't remember a single game where I thought, we won that game because of Mario.

I'll go 11-5.

There was the Miami game his rookie season. He tipped a pass that would have been the game winner in the last seconds of the game. Then there was the Broncos game that should have sealed Shia first pro-bowl bid where he dominated the whole game. We beat the Stealers last season largely in part to Mario's ability to get in Rothlisbergers head & chest & back & hips & shoulders.

I'm sure there are a few others but since he isn't a Texans anymore, it''ll be like they never happened.

Marcus
07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm firmly in the 11-5 camp. I'd like 12-4 and think it's entirely possible but my innate pessimism keeps me from predicting anything beyond 11-5.

Honestly, if I thought we had a good chance of going 16-0 I'd probably still say 11-5. I guess it comes from living my entire life in Houston and following the Oilers from an early age.

That's exactly the way I look at it. The Oilers have scarred me for life.

And injuries will dictate what our W-L record will be. That's why I don't get into predictions.

Norg
07-19-2012, 02:14 PM
last year 10-6 was really different last year we were 7-3 at one point should of been at least 8-2 should of never lost that raider game or even the saints Brees came back and scored like 14 points in 6 mins ...when brees goes INTO beast mode its kinda hard to stop him esp in teh SUperdome

but once we clinched the divison we kinda just shut it down and also when yates came in i dont think we ever scored more then 24 points in a game our O dropped production alooootttt since its obvs we missed Schaub

thats kinda why we went 10-6

thunderkyss
07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
With an easy schedule last yr they finished 10-6

This yr 9-7 is about right. Luckily that should be enough to win the division.

You've got to take into account Garys history of going conservative and losing 1-2 games a yr that he should win.

I liked Demeco & I liked Mario. But neither are the leaders JJ Watt & Brian Cushing are. Along with JJo & The offensive leaders, Andre, OD, Matt & Arian, I bet we won't see conservative Gary much at all in 2012

bayoudreamn
07-19-2012, 06:53 PM

mostly over-rated.....I mean, if the NFL names a rule made to help you.....that says something. I expect Mario to be what Mario has always been....Revis is getting older and JETS create more drama than anyone in the league, Packers defense is suspect and the team pulled rabits out of hats repeatedly last year......Megatron is a beast.

bayoudreamn
07-19-2012, 07:03 PM
I liked Demeco & I liked Mario. But neither are the leaders JJ Watt & Brian Cushing are. Along with JJo & The offensive leaders, Andre, OD, Matt & Arian, I bet we won't see conservative Gary much at all in 2012

yea.....how many times do we know of where Mario led the defense in preparations getting ready for the new season.....Demeco did! In my mind, what stands out is the beginning of off-season workouts and such in years past new players commenting on how big Mario was......because they never saw him until he was required to be there. Mario is a very good player who often disappoints and the national press never wanted to say anything good about him until he left....I figure that speaks volumes. I wish him well.....in every game we don't play against them.

drs23
07-19-2012, 08:46 PM

I would really like to see that. Balls out, killer instinct, kick 'em while they're down game plan.

Don't think it will happen but I'd sure like to see it.

I temper this thought somewhat though after recalling going to Tennessee and see Gary not calling the dogs off.

Would like to see it more.

But then, we're soft. :kitten:

gary
07-19-2012, 09:16 PM
They won ten last year after a lockout and losing Schaub. We'll see but it is too hard to say.

TexansFanatic
07-19-2012, 09:30 PM
I bet we won't see conservative Gary much at all in 2012

Just curious why you think that.

I'd be delighted if that happens, but I can't figure out what you think is different about the year 2012 that will cause Gary Kubiak to cast aside his conservative tendencies.

thunderkyss
07-20-2012, 05:00 AM
Just curious why you think that.

I'd be delighted if that happens, but I can't figure out what you think is different about the year 2012 that will cause Gary Kubiak to cast aside his conservative tendencies.

We've seen Gary loosen the reigns a time or two. Usually when his back is against the wall, but there have been other times as well. This team has usually done something silly, & invent a new way to lose a game.

I don't think Kubiak is conservative by nature, I think it's been a result of the shipwreck we've thrown on the field. I think our leaders this year can actually deliver & not just talk a good game. Like I said, I love Demeco, but he wasn't that guy that came in as a rookie and lit it up. Mario, just never was that "watch me, do what I do" guy.

Cush & Watt & Jjo, & Quin.... & Antonio we've got a field of leaders.

Arian, Andre, Brown, & Matt.... Winston was alright, but made too many mistakes to be bumping his gums (imo).

IDEXAN
07-20-2012, 09:20 AM
We've got to answer the questions about the right side of our offensive line because it's a big deal when a team loses its starting guard and tackle.
And then there's the all-important QB position - will Schaub quickly return to pre-injury form or will there be a long transition period ? Finally, what about another WR(s) stepping up to at least be an adequate reserve(s) for the starters ?

Texan_Bill
07-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Re: BR predicts 12-4 season for Texans - What Say You?

BR Predicts 12-4? What say me???

We're screwed now!!

drs23
07-20-2012, 10:57 AM
BR Predicts 12-4? What say me???

On record saying 12-4 sounds really good. (optimistic) With our SOS I still think we're looking at 9-7, at best, 10-6. This will still win the division and take us to the new season where we can shine. All we need to do is make the post season healthy and peak at the right time. I feel it in my bone.

We're screwed now!!

Hold on TB. I know you're being facetious but I believe we've got a better shot than most other teams in the league barring injury of coarse.

:texflag:

3 more characters...

DexmanC
07-20-2012, 12:03 PM
I'll start by saying, I hope I'm wrong.

This team has the talent to win the Superbowl. The players are hungry and
young enough to get it done. Here it comes...

B-U-T

Gary Kubiak is still Kubiak. Matt Schaub is still in and out of Ben Taub.
Both of those elements need to up their games dramatically to see this
team get to where we want them to.

I see this team going 8-8, or 9-7 due to the schedule and all the coverage
and primetime games they will see this year being a reason for their loss
of focus.

I hope I'm wrong, but unfortunately, I doubt it. My signature will remain the
same, because this regime has established a pattern. I hope last year
was the start of a new pattern, rather than an anomaly.

Perki-Perk
07-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Oddly enough, I thought we played teams and not individuals. Look, I just hope our players mentality is better then some of our fans. If we expect to make any noise, we have to overcome our inferiority complex. The Texans are finally a good team.

TexansFanatic
07-20-2012, 05:03 PM
We've seen Gary loosen the reigns a time or two. Usually when his back is against the wall, but there have been other times as well. This team has usually done something silly, & invent a new way to lose a game.

I don't think Kubiak is conservative by nature, I think it's been a result of the shipwreck we've thrown on the field. I think our leaders this year can actually deliver & not just talk a good game. Like I said, I love Demeco, but he wasn't that guy that came in as a rookie and lit it up. Mario, just never was that "watch me, do what I do" guy.

Cush & Watt & Jjo, & Quin.... & Antonio we've got a field of leaders.

Arian, Andre, Brown, & Matt.... Winston was alright, but made too many mistakes to be bumping his gums (imo).

Hope you're right.

TheMatrix31
07-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate that site.

As for 12-4, eh, if we can stay healthy maybe.

TejasTom
07-21-2012, 09:18 AM

For the past 16 years at least 5 new teams are in the playoffs, which means at least 5 teams that made the playoffs dropped out. I with you, I hope we started a new pattern.

At least five new teams to make the playoffs each year since 1996 are:

SEASON

PLAYOFF TEAMS NOT IN PREVIOUS SEASON'S PLAYOFFS

1996:5 (Carolina, Denver, Jacksonville, Minnesota, New England)
1997:5 (Detroit, Kansas City, Miami, New York Giants, Tampa Bay)
1998:5 (Arizona, Atlanta, Buffalo, Dallas, New York Jets)
1999:7 (Detroit, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Washington)
2000:6 (Baltimore, Denver, New Orleans, New York Giants, Oakland, Philadelphia)
2001:6 (Chicago, Green Bay, New England, New York Jets, Pittsburgh, San Francisco)
2002:5 (Atlanta, Cleveland, Indianapolis, New York Giants, Tennessee)
2003:8 (Baltimore, Carolina, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, New England, St. Louis, Seattle)
2004:5 (Atlanta, Minnesota, New York Jets, Pittsburgh, San Diego)
2005:7 (Carolina, Chicago, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, New York Giants, Tampa Bay, Washington)
2006:7 (Baltimore, Dallas, Kansas City, New Orleans, New York Jets, Philadelphia, San Diego)
2007:6 (Green Bay, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Washington)
2008:7 (Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Carolina, Miami, Minnesota, Philadelphia)
2009:6 (Cincinnati, Dallas, Green Bay, New England, New Orleans, New York Jets)
2010:5 (Atlanta, Chicago, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Seattle)
2011:6 (Detroit, Houston, San Francisco, Denver, Giants, Cincinnati)

ThaShark316
07-21-2012, 10:14 AM

B-U-T

of focus.

Bull****. (bolded)

You hope you're wrong? Stop it. You can't WAIT to be right so you can make a thread in November. Goes for you and everyone else who says that "I hope I'm wrong" garbage. Who wants to be wrong?

Glad you provided my 6th or 7th laugh that I've had this AM.

"I hope I'm wrong"... http://static.bbmp3.com/smilies/dead.gif

ThaShark316
07-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Find me the squad that's about to stop

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Arian_Foster.jpg/290px-Arian_Foster.jpg

In the games before the bye.

Don't worry, I'll wait. **http://imageshack.us/a/img607/7345/scaledphpserver195filen.png voice**

thunderkyss
07-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Bull****. (bolded)

You hope you're wrong? Stop it. You can't WAIT to be right so you can make a thread in November. Goes for you and everyone else who says that "I hope I'm wrong" garbage. Who wants to be wrong?

I believe him.

He distrusts Kubiak & he has reason to. He doesn't believe Gary can put back to back successful years together. Look at how long it took to get back to back wins.

But he loves the Texans. Wants to see them do well.

Doesn't believe in Kubiak, actually believes Kubiak is a detriment to the organization.

I've got my concerns about Gary, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, where Dex is going by past record.

ThaShark316
07-21-2012, 11:01 AM
I believe him.

He distrusts Kubiak & he has reason to. He doesn't believe Gary can put back to back successful years together. Look at how long it took to get back to back wins.

But he loves the Texans. Wants to see them do well.

Doesn't believe in Kubiak, actually believes Kubiak is a detriment to the organization.

I've got my concerns about Gary, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, where Dex is going by past record.

The opinion was fine. The more opinionated folks we have, the better. But "I'm hope I'm wrong" is a crock.

DexmanC
07-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Bull****. (bolded)

People are hoping to be right about a 12-4 year, before the season starts.

I am hoping to be wrong about an 8-8; 9-7 year before the season starts.

The mathematics are the same, but you don't like my perspective in this
equation. Duly noted, but irrelevant. Kubiak and Schaub are what will
bring this team down, should our goals not be achieved in 2012.

Go Texans!

b0ng
07-21-2012, 06:13 PM

B-U-T

of focus.

Oh wow, it's like a post from pre-season 2010. It's like you say the same thing every year, imagine that.

BullBlitz
07-21-2012, 09:21 PM
The opinion was fine. The more opinionated folks we have, the better. But "I'm hope I'm wrong" is a crock.

Just because you can't comprehend something doesn't mean it's wrong.

It's actually a very simple concept to 1) believe that something negative is likely to happen, but 2) hope that your belief proves to be wrong.

BullBlitz
07-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Oh wow, it's like a post from pre-season 2010. It's like you say the same thing every year, imagine that.

Tough to blame him however. Such a prediction has worked pretty well with the exception of the 2011 season.

ThaShark316
07-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Just because you can't comprehend something doesn't mean it's wrong.

It's actually a very simple concept to 1) believe that something negative is likely to happen, but 2) hope that your belief proves to be wrong.

But if you're right, first thing one will do is thump their chests.

The Texans and Dex's opinion aside, that's for everyone who says "I hope I'm wrong".

steelbtexan
07-21-2012, 10:24 PM

Hope you're right.

Maybe old dogs can learn new tricks.

TexansFanatic
07-21-2012, 10:29 PM

And that is just as often true for people who predict positive events.

The Texans and Dex's opinion aside, that's for everyone who says "I hope I'm wrong".

Not everyone.

Thorn
07-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Bah Humbug. I understand completly what Dexman is saying, and I'm not that far from his opinion. Without Wade, Kubiak wouldn't look very good. Kubiak is good for the offense and coaching up QBs, but I still have my doubts about him as a head coach.

And guess what? I HOPE I'M WRONG ABOUT HIM! LOL

Man, some of these threads are getting a tad skanky. Pre-season just can not get here soon enough so we have something real to discuss instead of just throwing around opinions at each other.

GP
07-22-2012, 01:10 AM

That stems from the back-and-forths on here among posters, rather than someone desperately hoping to be proven right (about the negative outcome).

Look, all guys give each other hell all the time about sports stuff. We get attached to our opinions. And we give hell to one another for our differing opinions. So IF a person had a negative view, and that person was being challenged on that negative view, then IF the time comes that the outcome is indeed a negative outcome...the so-called chest thumping is not celebrating the negative outcome, it's instead focused toward the posters who challenged the person on the issue.

In the end, whether we are right or wrong is often times more important to us than whether our prediction was positive or negative in its basic nature. We all want to show that we know what we "see" and that we see things better than the other guy does.

It's just what guys do. THAT is our little section of drama, I suppose.

DexmanC
07-22-2012, 08:52 AM

And 2011 was the first time the team's performance put them with the elite of the NFL.
Imagine that. Despite Gary's annual 3-game losing streak, the team finished 10-6.

That is one thing I would like to change from EVERY year Kubiak has been here.
He's had at least one 3-game losing streak in every season. That is something
that could completely de-rail a season. Last year, it cost us the #1 seed.

HJam72
07-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Right now I'd say 11-5, but I really have no idea. Things are looking good, but you never really know.

TheMatrix31
07-23-2012, 04:13 AM
ThaShark is right. People who constantly thump the same exact agenda year-in, year-out NEVER actually hope they're wrong.

DexmanC
07-23-2012, 04:44 AM
ThaShark is right. People who constantly thump the same exact agenda year-in, year-out NEVER actually hope they're wrong.

Take a look at my sig. You'll see a pattern was broken last year (9-3) and
I was ECSTATIC. I want to see a lot more of what happened in 2011,
minus the 3-game losing streak. Nobody wants to be wrong about Kubiak
more than me.

Go Texans!

BullBlitz
07-23-2012, 09:12 PM

If they are right, I have no problem with the chest-thumping. If they have the insight to see something different from the herd, why not?

thunderkyss
11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
I bet we won't see conservative Gary much at all in 2012

What a maroon..... some of you should have took that bet.

Still. I see a lot of 11-5 predictions in this thread. A few 12-4s a couple worse.

Six games left in the season, to go 11-5 the Texans would have to lose 4 of the next 6 games. Highly possible with this coaching staff (Kubiak in particular... ok, I'm talking about Kubiak explicitly).

What say you? 11-5?

:koolaid:

klockWork
11-21-2012, 11:57 AM
It's very possible because we have the head coach that will authorized such a record.
I show you what I mean:
On 3rd & long this season, over 90% of plays have either been draws or short safe passes and screens. Plays that is designed to setup punting space, NOT to get first down to extend a drive.
Two words that sum up Gary Kubiak: Safe and content. 'No need to finish the season 15-1. Relax boys. Just take a knee against the Colts game. Oh T.J., go out there, dink and dunk with Forset and Martin.'
That's how I see it. Then when playoffs begin we escape with a victory because our starters were severely rusty from lack of competitive action.
And we'll lose the next game to a team that finished the season strong as opposed to taking a kneel down.

htownfan32
11-21-2012, 12:01 PM
The same head coach that OC'd his way to two superbowl rings?
Yep, that guy. Obviously his strategies don't work, because he only has two superbowl rings. :kitten:

htownfan32
11-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Though I will say... we should keep our starters in for the Colts game. Crush their hopes of making the playoffs as a wildcard. Crush their dreams.

I hate the Colts.

Thorn
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
I think there are only, at most, two regular season loses in our near future. That makes us 13-3 and probably own home field advantage through out the playoffs.

Which is something I would have NEVER said before the season started. The Texans are doing much better this year than I expected them to. I love it, I love it, I love it.

Go Texans! :texflag:

thunderkyss
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
On 3rd & long this season, over 90% of plays have either been draws or short safe passes and screens. Plays that is designed to setup punting space, NOT to get first down to extend a drive.

This comment would have more bite if we weren't 9-1. I understand what you're saying & in a vacuum I think you have a point. But those games ended in wins & most of them weren't even close.

Specnatz
11-21-2012, 12:36 PM
It's very possible because we have the head coach that will authorized such a record.
I show you what I mean:
Two words that sum up Gary Kubiak: Safe and content. 'No need to finish the season 15-1. Relax boys. Just take a knee against the Colts game. Oh T.J., go out there, dink and dunk with Forset and Martin.'
That's how I see it. Then when playoffs begin we escape with a victory because our starters were severely rusty from lack of competitive action.
And we'll lose the next game to a team that finished the season strong as opposed to taking a kneel down.

Do you watch other teams? Because this is the norm for most teams as to not risk a turnover and to play the field position aspect of the game.

klockWork
11-21-2012, 01:15 PM
That TD by Blackmon came on a 3rd and long.
Foster fumbled came on a draw on a third and long.
Two contrast of play calling nearly cost us that game.

76Texan
11-21-2012, 01:21 PM

And what's the records of the two teams?

EllisUnit
11-21-2012, 01:22 PM

yeah difference is we were 8-1 and they were 1-8 what did they have to lose ??? We on the other hand are 9-1 while they are 1-9 so all in all lets just keep doing what we've been doing which has been working.

2012Champs
11-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Brilliant observation

dream_team
11-21-2012, 02:41 PM

In OT, with 2:36 left, Jacksonville has the ball with 4th & 10 at the Houston 47. The conservative call would be to punt the ball inside the 20, make Houston drive 60+ yards to get into field goal range within 2:30 to win the game.

Instead, Jax gets aggressive and goes for the win. They don't convert and Houston only needs to gain 20+ yards to get into field goal range. We know what ended up happening.

Alot of times, aggressive play calls don't work and DO cost the game.

Everyone makes a big fuss about Kubiak's conservative play calling, and how many games it may have cost us... but no one mentions how many games it has won for us.

The Pencil Neck
11-21-2012, 02:50 PM

You have to take risks when you're desperate.

If you've got the better team, you play to win. And playing to win, despite what you think, is to play it safe and minimize mistakes. Let the other team make mistakes and take advantage of them.

ObsiWan
11-21-2012, 03:11 PM

And that was a short, safe pass that he took to the house because our defense missed tackles.

A.J.'s winning TD came on a short, safe SCREEN pass that he took to the house.

Whut's yer point?

klockWork
11-21-2012, 04:50 PM
And that was a short, safe pass that he took to the house because our defense missed tackles.

A.J.'s winning TD came on a short, safe SCREEN pass that he took to the house.

Whut's yer point?

That "safe" throw came on a 2nd & 8 early in the 2nd qtr on a Cecil Short hitch route that went 67 yds for the TD. The one from Blackmon was for 81 yds on a 3rd & 21 early in the 4th with a 27-20 lead. He caught the ball at midfield, 10 yds beyond their 1st down mark.

AJ screen pass came on 2nd & 5 near midfield and the play call was situational to Jax D and the time left in OT. It has nothing to do with being conservative.

The next time you're trying to make a point to anybody, get your facts straight.

klockWork
11-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Eagles started season 3-1 with all those turnovers. People swept that under the rug because they were 3-1. No need to worry. Yeah right, look at them now.

Foster fumbled on a draw play while running away from the line of scrimmage on a 3rd and 17 while we down 7 in the fourth Qtr. I rather see AJ fumble after a 16 yd catch trying to stretch for a first down or an int that occured deep at Jax territory. At least I know we gave our offense a shot at scoring on that drive.

I want a head coach that will coach to win. Not someone who's coaching not to lose. Our D is not the Ravens, Bucs, and Bears during their title years so we can't get away with conservative play-calling. If he don't trust Schaub in that situation then why signed him a long-term contract? This is a QB driven league. QB wins championship. So make calls for your QB or get someone that you can trust.

thunderkyss
11-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Eagles started season 3-1 with all those turnovers. People swept that under the rug because they were 3-1. No need to worry. Yeah right, look at them now.

Foster fumbled on a draw play while running away from the line of scrimmage on a 3rd and 17 while we down 7 in the fourth Qtr. I rather see AJ fumble after a 16 yd catch trying to stretch for a first down or an int that occured deep at Jax territory. At least I know we gave our offense a shot at scoring on that drive.

I want a head coach that will coach to win. Not someone who's coaching not to lose. Our D is not the Ravens, Bucs, and Bears during their title years so we can't get away with conservative play-calling. If he don't trust Schaub in that situation then why signed him a long-term contract? This is a QB driven league. QB wins championship. So make calls for your QB or get someone that you can trust.

Again, we're 9-1. Should be the end of discussion. There's a difference between laying it all on the line when you have nothing to lose & putting it out there when there is nothing to gain. One is called desperate, the other stupid.

Remember how the Colts used to whip our a$$? It wasn't about being stupid & aggressive for 60 minutes, it was getting a lead & letting the Edge loose.

That is where we need to be. That's where Kubiak needs to be criticized. We had the best OL in the league & now we struggle grinding games out. It's not that we are too conservative that is the problem, it's that we don't dominate in the run game when we're supposed to. That's the signature of Kubiak's offense, running that stretch play when they know it's coming.

So, what are you saying? that we're going to finish the season 9-7? Or that we don't have a chance to win the big game?

The way I see it, we've got 6 games to get the right side of our line to play-off shape. If we get that, there ain't no stop'n this club.

klockWork
11-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Wow. I can't believe you defending a draw play that resulted in a fumble on 3rd & long wile we're down 7 in the 4th Q.

From my point of view the Blackmon TD didn't look stupid and desperate. Henne drop it in where only his WR can catch it.

And how is throwing the ball on 3rd & long to get a first down consider stupid and desperate. If Eli, Roth, and Brady handed the ball off on that situation all their career you think they be where they at right now?

How are we suppose to know where Schaub stands as a QB in situation like that. We can't lock him inside every time it gets dark outside. That is what playoff are made of - critical moments like that.

I don't want Schaub to get the deer-in-the-headlights-look if he finds himself in those moments in the playoffs.

thunderkyss
11-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Wow. I can't believe you defending a draw play that resulted in a fumble on 3rd & long wile we're down 7 in the 4th Q.

I'm not defending the fumble. Just trying to understand what you are saying. You said Kubiak's conservative nature is going to cost us the big game. We've played some pretty decent teams so far & lost only one game. His decisions are a big part of that.

You said:

I want a head coach that will coach to win. Not someone who's coaching not to lose.

We're 9-1.

Is that because Kubiak coached us not to lose? What were those other 9 coaches doing?

Our D is not the Ravens, Bucs, and Bears during their title years so we can't get away with conservative play-calling.

Again, what you are saying is not lining up with reality.

If he don't trust Schaub in that situation then why signed him a long-term contract? This is a QB driven league. QB wins championship. So make calls for your QB or get someone that you can trust.

& yet Elway didn't win a Championship 'til he got TD. Peyton only has 1. Brees 1.

I didn't like the call either, however I had no doubt in my mind we were going to win that game. & it was a missed field goal in regulation that prevented the straight-up win, meaning the coaches decisions got us where we needed to be.

Why does Kubiak call that freakin draw on third & long? I don't know. It never works. Surely he sees that as well as you, so there must be another reason.

infantrycak
11-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Why do you keep bringing up the fumble in a play calling discussion? It is totally irrelevant to the play call as would be an INT if they had passed as you advocate.

Norg
11-21-2012, 06:54 PM
if we can some how win these next 3 games Lions titans Pats

then we can pretty much treat the last 3 games has pre season we could lose all 3 and still be Number #1 seed

I hope the players know that

The Third Man
11-21-2012, 07:52 PM
I don't think it is good for teams to go into preseason mode at the end of the year. Clinching the #1 seed with three games to go is not something I would refuse, obviously, but we've seen a lot of dominant teams falter in recent years because they played their best football earlier.

ObsiWan
11-21-2012, 10:05 PM
That "safe" throw came on a 2nd & 8 early in the 2nd qtr on a Cecil Short hitch route that went 67 yds for the TD. The one from Blackmon was for 81 yds on a 3rd & 21 early in the 4th with a 27-20 lead. He caught the ball at midfield, 10 yds beyond their 1st down mark.

AJ screen pass came on 2nd & 5 near midfield and the play call was situational to Jax D and the time left in OT. It has nothing to do with being conservative.

The next time you're trying to make a point to anybody, get your facts straight.

I never referenced down & distance on either play. Your third down & long "point" holds no water. My point was (and is) a "safe" pass or draw play can result in a long game on any down.

And if you go back and look at the play-by-play, we weren't in "3rd & long" more than 3-4 times during the whole game. So I don't get why you're all pissed about something that happened - to us - rarely during the course of the game.

1st Qtr:
3rd and 5 at HOU 42 - (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass incomplete deep left to A.Johnson [T.Alualu].

2nd Qtr:
Nothing longer than 3rd & 3

3rd Qtr:
3rd and 17 at HOU 26 - (Shotgun) A.Foster right guard to HST 22 for -2 yards (P.Posluszny). FUMBLES (P.Posluszny), RECOVERED by JAX-J.Chick at HST 11. J.Chick to HST 11 for no gain (K.Walter). The Replay Assistant challenged the loose ball recovery ruling, and the play was Upheld. What else would you do deep in your own territory but run the ball?? Remember, the reason it was 3rd & 17 is because Schaub got sacked for 8 yds on the previous play.

4th Qtr:
3rd and 9 at JAC 29 - S.Graham 47 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-D.Jones.
The reason this was 3rd & long is because Caldwell drew a false start penalty (I put that on Myers for waving his arm just prior to the snap - what was that about?)

O/T:
3rd and 7 at JAC 7 - (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass incomplete short right to A.Johnson (D.Cox)
We're on their 7; no room for anything but short pass or a run (I think they tried a quick fade route and AJ actually got his hands on the ball but the DB made a good play by yanking his arm before he could secure the catch.

No more 3rd downs. Next series Schaub threw the pick trying to go down field to AJ (that was on 2nd down). The following time we won on AJ's TD.

Four times, in a five qtr game, we were in 3rd & long. Once was a FG attempt for the win. The other three times we went to our stars - or tried to - to give them a chance to make something good happen.

So I still ask, what's your point with this "3rd & long" griping?

thunderkyss
11-22-2012, 08:30 AM
So what are we saying? Most likely the Texans go 4-2 the rest of the way & finish 13-3?

76Texan
11-22-2012, 09:23 AM
So what are we saying? Most likely the Texans go 4-2 the rest of the way & finish 13-3?

It may depend on how the other guys on the learder board perform (how long we need to keep fighting for the number one seed.)