PDA

View Full Version : Texans highlighted in Zone Blocking Scheme primer

Playoffs
07-16-2012, 09:32 AM
It's a Seahawks article, but Seth Payne keeps referencing the Texans...

The Seahawks & the Zone Blocking Scheme (http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/15/3160997/the-seahawks-the-zone-blocking-scheme)

We spend a lot of time talking in generalities about the Alex Gibbs-then-Tom Cable zone-blocking scheme the Seahawks are implementing in Seattle -- the types of linemen the team likes, the types of running backs it takes, and just the basic concepts behind it -- but as with a lot of things in football, the system is fairly complex. We know it's a system that Gibbs and Mike Shanahan used in Denver in the late 90's and it helped them to win a couple of Super Bowls there. Since then, it's been passed down to proteges and copy-cats and elements of it are used in every single offensive blocking scheme.

However, only a few teams are really dedicated to it - the most obvious, apart from the Seahawks, being the Houston Texans and the Washington Redskins, where Shanahan and his former offensive coordinator with the Broncos when they won those two Super Bowls, Gary Kubiak, have successfully installed the system for their respective teams. The Texans are probably the current gold standard for the zone-blocking scheme -- in 2011, Houston ran for 2,448 yards (2nd in NFL behind only the run-first Broncos), on 4.4 yards per carry (7th), at 153 yards per game (2nd) - and featured two of the most effective running backs in the league in Arian Foster and the underrated Ben Tate (942 yards in 2011 with 5.4 yards per carry!).

I can tell you the basics of what the ZBS brings, the top level differences between a ZBS and other types of systems, and I know how to recognize it on a football field, sort of, but I always find it interesting to hear former players and coaches talk about the finer details or more nuanced philosophies behind it. Former NFL defensive lineman Seth Payne was on the Chalk Talk radio program with Doug Farrar and Rob Rang last weekend and his explanation really resonated with me and sort of clarified a lot of the things you hear the Seahawks preach about personnel and identity...

read more: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/15/3160997/the-seahawks-the-zone-blocking-scheme

thunderkyss
07-16-2012, 10:41 AM
It's a Seahawks article, but Seth Payne keeps referencing the Texans...

The Texans are probably the current gold standard for the zone-blocking scheme --

read more: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/15/3160997/the-seahawks-the-zone-blocking-scheme

Great article, very well written. I think I like that guy.

:texan:

IDEXAN
07-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm really interested to see how our jumbo rookie graud progresses in the Texans
ZBS ? Wonder what he'll report at next week ? What you got on the 350 over/under ?

infantrycak
07-16-2012, 02:37 PM
What you got on the 350 over/under ?

He's already under 350. He reported originally at 353 and they wanted him to lose 20 lbs.

Oh look:

"Let's all fit in. All 11 of us are going to make this offense work," Payne noted, on the mindset of a ZBS. "If you've got a quarterback that's got that mentality, - which Schaub has, sorry to bring it back to the Texans, he's known as a leader in the lockerroom

IDEXAN
07-16-2012, 05:01 PM
He's already under 350. He reported originally at 353 and they wanted him to lose 20 lbs.

Oh look:
I don't care what he was at the end of OTAs, I wanna see what he weights in at next week at the beginning of TC after being off for quite a stretch of time. Maybe he's been taking real good care of himself I hope so, or maybe he'll look like a house ?

paycheck71
07-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Oh look:

"Let's all fit in. All 11 of us are going to make this offense work," Payne noted, on the mindset of a ZBS. "If you've got a quarterback that's got that mentality, - which Schaub has, sorry to bring it back to the Texans, he's known as a leader in the lockerroom

Look, anyone who's watched the games, knows that Schaub is not a leader. :kitten:
:hides:

Corrosion
07-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Oh look:

Quote:

Oh look:

Man .... you know thats a lie :lion:

The Pencil Neck
07-17-2012, 12:34 PM
I don't care what he was at the end of OTAs, I wanna see what he weights in at next week at the beginning of TC after being off for quite a stretch of time. Maybe he's been taking real good care of himself I hope so, or maybe he'll look like a house ?

I think he's going to look like a house even if his weight is down where Kubes wants it.

GP
07-17-2012, 09:09 PM
11 days to TC.

July 28...the day of our great awakening.

Texan_Bill
07-17-2012, 09:24 PM
11 days to TC.

July 28...the day of our great awakening.

DAMNIT!!! Still 11 days AND 2Hours and 35 minutes..... FML!!! :facepalm:

GP
07-18-2012, 01:02 AM
DAMNIT!!! Still 11 days AND 2Hours and 35 minutes..... FML!!! :facepalm:

10 days now.

We can do this, Bill. We can make it 10 more days.

We. Can. Do This.

Aw fugg it! I can't handle it!!! :overreact: