PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stat - yards per route run

infantrycak
07-10-2012, 01:49 AM
Basically how many yards does a WR get divided by the number of times he runs a route. This is for a three year time period - Link. (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/09/three-years-of-yards-per-route-run-wide-receivers/)

Discussion in the link how this may be a better indication than just yards or ypr.

Anyway, to cut the story short: #1 - Andre Johnson.

It's tough to be a man among boys once you hit the NFL - and then there's AJ.

I'm still impressed by a quote from Kubiak after his first season here - something to the effect that he had never seen coverages drawn up for other WRs like they were for AJ.

Malloy
07-10-2012, 05:08 AM
A testiment to his skill.

TejasTom
07-10-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm still impressed by a quote from Kubiak after his first season here - something to the effect that he had never seen coverages drawn up for other WRs like they were for AJ.

And yet, there are still times no one is within 10 yards of him.

HJam72
07-10-2012, 07:50 AM
I think they need to consider THIS stat when they are talking about future Hall of Famers...

eriadoc
07-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Probably impossible to find out, but I'd be curious to see how some of the HoF hopefuls look on this stat - Cris Carter, Tim Brown, etc.

Dutchrudder
07-10-2012, 10:35 AM
So, lemme get this straight. Basically they are taking the number of snaps the WR is on the field for passing plays, right? I mean, you don't count routes run when it's a running play, and you can only get one route per passing play, right?

The Pencil Neck
07-10-2012, 12:17 PM
So, lemme get this straight. Basically they are taking the number of snaps the WR is on the field for passing plays, right? I mean, you don't count routes run when it's a running play, and you can only get one route per passing play, right?

That's what it seems to be.

HJam72
07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
AJ runs about 5 routes per passing play. :)

HJam72
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Also, I just want to remind everyone that JJ Watt has one TD reception and has never run a pass route. He don't need one. :)

eriadoc
07-10-2012, 02:49 PM

That's what it seems to be.

OK, just for grins then ... 1995 was probably the greatest individual season for any WR in NFL history. Jerry Rice had 1848 yards, 15 TDs, and over 115 yards per game averaged. Steve Young, Elvis Grbac, Cary Conklin, and John Taylor combined for 643 pass attempts that year. If Rice was on the field for each of those pass attempts, then he averaged 2.87 yards per route run. It's more likely that he wasn't, so that number might be slightly higher. Whatever.

AJ's three year average is not that far off the greatest single season ever.