PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson arrested in Houston

texan279
07-07-2012, 02:11 PM
NFL star Adrian Peterson was arrested early Thursday morning in Houston, TX and charged with resisting arrest ... TMZ has learned.

Peterson, who is recovering from a torn knee ligament suffered on Christmas Eve of last year, was booked into Houston Police Department Central Jail and posted $1,000 this morning.

On the jail's website, Peterson's charge is listed as "RESIST ARREST/SEARCH-UNCLASSIF."

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/07/adrian-peterson-arrested/

Hookem Horns
07-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Arrested for resisting arrest? ...

"You are under arrest!" .. "Why? .. what did I do?" .. "Are you resisting?" .. "Yes" .. "OK, I am arresting you for that then".

brakos82
07-07-2012, 04:52 PM

"You are under arrest!" .. "Why? .. what did I do?" .. "Are you resisting?" .. "Yes" .. "OK, I am arresting you for that then".

:spit:

infantrycak
07-07-2012, 04:53 PM

Weird to have an resisting arrest charge with no accompanying charge.

Anyway this doesn't sound good - for HPD at this point. Obviously more facts may come out including the video.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the incident culminating in Peterson’s arrest was captured by one or more surveillance cameras. Multiple persons also witnessed the event.

According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.

Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.

It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.

From PFT.com

Ranger Tom
07-07-2012, 05:06 PM
One of the members of this forum, I'm pretty sure, is a police officer. Hopefully he can clear this up for us.

ckhouston
07-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Anyway this doesn't sound good - for HPD at this point.

Sounds par for the course, since cops think they are God.

How dare you want to get some water before you leave?

Fact is the club owner can allow you to stay as long as you want, and consume whatever you want, just cant "sell" you anymore alcohol. Unless the owner of the establishment had a problem with him, I dont see what right the cops had to do anything.

Guess we will wait until all the facts come out, but HPD is becoming as embarrassing for Houston as the LAPD are for Los Angeles. Organized ignorance ...

Heath Shuler
07-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Club Says He Was WASTED

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/07/adrian-peterson-arrested-drunk/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Adrian Peterson was heavily intoxicated at the time of his arrest, which was very out of character for the NFL star ... this according to the club where he was busted early this morning.

Daniel Maher, general manager of Live at Bayou Place, tells TMZ that Peterson has been to the club before, but he has never known him to drink much. Last night, however, Maher said Peterson was ver drunk and was a difficult customer all night.

Maher says Peterson was throwing his ego around and making people mad, so they put him in the VIP area. Maher says when the club was closing, he rushed over to the bar to try and order one last drink and when he wouldn't Maher says Peterson "tried to intimidate the bartender" into selling it to him.

According to Maher, that's when he intervened, but Peterson continued to be "unreasonable." That's when Maher says the off-duty cop intervened, and, as TMZ first reported, Peterson proceeded to shove him.

Maher says during his confrontation with the officer, Peterson assumed a fight stance and looked "like he meant business." Maher says, "He looked really scary and I thought he was gonna attack the cops."

Maher says that once the officers subdued Peterson, the NFL star apologized for his behavior and told cops he doesn't usually drink.

Peterson was eventually booked into jail and charged with resisting arrest.

Calls to Peterson's rep were not returned.

Kaiser Toro
07-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Thankfully for my keeper league no CHL owners intervened and allowed the pros to do their job.

ckhouston
07-07-2012, 05:25 PM
That's when Maher says the off-duty cop intervened

If he is off-duty, why is he sticking his nose into something, and how is he arresting anyone?

texanhead08
07-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Weird to have an resisting arrest charge with no accompanying charge.

Anyway this doesn't sound good - for HPD at this point.

From PFT.com

This is not unusual in Harris County it happens every day. Its just not everyone has the money to expose the error like NFL players do.

Heath Shuler
07-07-2012, 05:37 PM
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Adrian_Peterson_police_report_he_complained_of_sho rtness_of_breath070712

After being arrested in Houston early Saturday, Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson complained of shortness of breath when he arrived at the Houston city jail.

Kese Smith, a spokesman for the Houston police department, said Peterson was "examined by Houston fire department medical personnel," who, "pronounced him to be medically fine."

Here's the rest of the report from Peterson's arrest as relayed by Smith:

"This happened at a club in downtown Houston called the Bayou Live Nightclub.

"It began just after 2 a.m. this morning when a Houston police officer working an approved extra job as security began the process of clearing the bar of patrons. The bar had just closed.

"While doing so he approached Adrian Peterson, who was with a group of people next to the bar.

"Peterson was talking with that group of people next to the bar and the officer informed Peterson and the group that the bar was closed and asked them to walk toward the nearest exit.

"The officer left the group to continue advising other patrons the bar was closed. A short time later, the officer returned and found Peterson and the group still talking at the bar. The officer again asked everyone to leave the bar, reminding them that it was closed.

"As the officer turned away to remind other patrons of this, Peterson told the officer that the group had heard him the first time and pushed the officer in the shoulder causing him to stumble.

"The officer then informed Peterson he was under arrest and asked him to turn around and place his hands behind his back. Peterson instead began yelling at the officer who again told him to place his hands behind his back.

"As the officer attempted to place Peterson in handcuffs, Peterson pulled away from the officer and assumed a violent stance. At this time an HPD sergeant, who was also working an approved extra job, saw what was happening and attempted to assist in arresting Peterson.

"Peterson began struggling with both officers. During this entire time, that initial officer was giving verbal commands to Peterson to stop resisting and place his hands behind his back.

"Peterson ignored those verbal commands and continued to struggle with the officers and ultimately a third officer had to assist in detaining Peterson.

"Once placed in handcuffs, Peterson was transported to the Houston Police city jail where he complained of shortness of breath. He was examined by Houston fire department medical personnel who pronounced him to be medically fine.

"He was then booked into the jail and is charged with resisting arrest, which is a misdemeanor."

GP
07-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Adrian Peterson, apparently a bit intoxicated, put his hands on an officer. BIG mistake.

He was given multiple chances, from what I've been reading. And the officers involved, from what the stories report, appear to have been working APPROVED shifts at the location. Probably because people like Adrian Peterson get drunk and can't turn off the bravado switch.

Glad nobody was hurt. If AP doesn't drink much, as he admitted, maybe he will evaluate this situation and consider not drinking at all.

GP
07-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Thankfully for my keeper league no CHL owners intervened and allowed the pros to do their job.

:fishing:

A little troll fishing, huh? :kitten:

Kaiser Toro
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM
:fishing:

A little troll fishing, huh? :kitten:

Nope, too many empowered yahoos out there and it is my big money league.

CloakNNNdagger
07-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Dumb ass

It's not the good kind of clarity, though. The details really do make Peterson out to be the bad guy. ESPN Twin Cities has the report, which in a nutshell has Peterson talking back to an officer who was working security, and then shoving said officer which led to his arrest.

According to the report, the incident happened just after 2:00 a.m. when the Bayou Live Nightclub was closing and the security guards (who are police officers) were rounding up the patrons and telling them to go him. They reportedly told Peterson and his group that they needed to leave and make their way towards an exit, and then went on their business telling the rest. Eventually, they came back to Peterson, who was still standing and talking with his group, and asked him again.

Peterson than reportedly gave the officer the "I heard you the first time," line and then pushed the officer, causing him to stumble. At that point, the officer tried to arrest him, was failing in doing so, and the other officer assisted and hauled Peterson off the jail. There, Peterson complained of shortness of breath, was pronounced medically fine and was formally charged with resisting arrest, a misdemeanor.http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnesota-vikings/2012/7/7/3143569/adrian-peterson-arrest-video-vikings

Kaiser Toro
07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
The Vikings visiting Houston just got a little more interesting

Playoffs
07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Kind of refreshing the find an "inexperienced" 27 year old drinker.

I'm sure AP is suitably embarrassed by his behavior & will make amends.

thunderkyss
07-07-2012, 09:55 PM
So...... an off duty police officer can arrest your for resisting arrest? That don't sound right.

& I'm asking, because I'm probably going to need to know one day. If I hit an off-duty police officer, say working as a bouncer, would I be arrested for assaulting an officer?

Showtime100
07-07-2012, 10:06 PM
So...... an off duty police officer can arrest your for resisting arrest? That don't sound right.

& I'm asking, because I'm probably going to need to know one day. If I hit an off-duty police officer, say working as a bouncer, would I be arrested for assaulting an officer?

An off duty cop can arrest you 24/7 for anything you illegally do that he/she observes.

As for the 'assaulting a police officer' when off duty, and I presume you mean no uniform nor did he/she even ID him/herself as an officer, I don't know. Maybe you could JUST(lol) get assault on that one.

thunderkyss
07-07-2012, 10:18 PM
An off duty cop can arrest you 24/7 for anything you illegally do that he/she observes.

Well, that's the point. If he is working as a bouncer, can Peterson be "resisting arrest" ?

Showtime100
07-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Well, that's the point. If he is working as a bouncer, can Peterson be "resisting arrest" ?

I'm going to guess...yes.

I know that you are saying. If it is just you and the cop and he attempts to arrest you and you have no idea who this guy is, can he arrest you for resisting even though you don't yet know him to be the law? I'll guess yes.

I don't agree with it, but I'm betting it can happen. Cops literally get away with murder on a daily basis in this country so I would imagine this is small potatos on their screwyou-o-meter.

[enter powda]

Playoffs
07-07-2012, 10:53 PM

Off duty police officers retain their law enforcement authority/duty 24/7. They do need to identify themselves as such.

Showtime100
07-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Off duty police officers retain their law enforcement authority/duty 24/7. They do need to identify themselves as such.

...or while falsifying the police report. Just my two cents :)

kingh99
07-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Ever wonder why NBA players don't want to live here? Clubbing is often problematic.

GP
07-07-2012, 11:16 PM

He put his hands on an officer (shoved the officer in the shoulder) and that was the big No-No that made the officer say "You're under arrest."

Then he resisted arrest. Probably a misstatement by whomever made the report...you're under arrest and you resisted arrest, so you're under arrest. LOL.

The guy just cuffed and stuffed Adrian Peterson...I'm pretty sure he might have flubbed the terminology of how it went down.

Why is there this pervasive hate for law enforcement? I mean, every time one of these threads pops up...the cop is always guilty, immediately, of being a crazy maniac out of control. It gets old reading this stuff. All cops are bad, I guess???

GP
07-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Nope, too many empowered yahoos out there and it is my big money league.

Ah, so it's not really fishing then. It's more like setting a trot line to see how many fish you can get to take the bait (the "CHL owners are mostly a crazy bunch" bait).

Nice.

CloakNNNdagger
07-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Judd Zulgad (of the Star Tribune) twitter>>>>>>>>Just checked. For those asking, the off-duty cops in Houston WERE in uniform working security. Peterson could not have been confused.

Showtime100
07-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Judd Zulgad (of the Star Tribune) twitter>>>>>>>>

Just checked. For those asking, the off-duty cops in Houston WERE in uniform working security. Peterson could not have been confused.

Then if Peterson did what they allege he did, he should be in hot water and I'm pretty much on the side of the law here. It takes a special brand of knothead to shove a uniform...at 2:00am....in a nightclub.......when they are asking you to gtf out.

Stemp
07-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Why is there this pervasive hate for law enforcement? I mean, every time one of these threads pops up...the cop is always guilty, immediately, of being a crazy maniac out of control. It gets old reading this stuff. All cops are bad, I guess???

And those same people will be bitching and moaning when the cops don't show up in 30 seconds when something bad happens to them.

infantrycak
07-08-2012, 12:38 AM

There isn't. Bad cops make the news and create headlines which generate threads and so discussion. Good cops rarely get headlines. It is the same with any profession. When was the last time you saw a report "Doctor operated on 7 people today and they all survived?" Or "engineer designed a bridge twenty years ago and it didn't fall down today?"

Then if Peterson did what they allege he did, he should be in hot water and I'm pretty much on the side of the law here. It takes a special brand of knothead to shove a uniform...at 2:00am....in a nightclub.......when they are asking you to gtf out.

The bold is a key element on murky facts we don't know. It is why I am wondering if additional charges are going to be brought or this gets dumped. You can't be resisting arrest until there is an attempted arrest, search or transportation (detained). Some cop walks up grabs your arm and says hey you need to leave and you pull your arm away you may be stupid but you aren't resisting arrest.

disaacks3
07-08-2012, 12:44 AM

As for the 'assaulting a police officer' when off duty, and I presume you mean no uniform nor did he/she even ID him/herself as an officer, I don't know. Maybe you could JUST(lol) get assault on that one. Bolded is quite important when they are off-duty.

Ever wonder why NBA players don't want to live here? Clubbing is often problematic. It sure is when you have a hearing problem and don't leave when repeatedly ordered to by uniformed cops. Let's not leave out being a jerk that got moved to a VIP room as you were disturbing other patrons.

powda
07-08-2012, 12:58 AM
[enter powda]

With hesitation.

No da I know is going to maintain an asslt pub servant charge on an off duty cop who doesn't identify himself. You'd be looking at a misd A assault.

The reason for the resisting only charge is simple. Think of it like a dwi charge. Cop pulls you over for speeding, finds out your drunk and arrests you. You fight the speeding charge and win...without speeding there can be no dwi so that charge is tossed to. Instead a lot of agencies skip the speeding and only charge dwi. Make sense?

Exit Powda.

infantrycak
07-08-2012, 01:15 AM
The reason for the resisting only charge is simple. Think of it like a dwi charge. Cop pulls you over for speeding, finds out your drunk and arrests you. You fight the speeding charge and win...without speeding there can be no dwi so that charge is tossed to. Instead a lot of agencies skip the speeding and only charge dwi. Make sense?

As a practical matter it does to a minor maybe degree but as a legal matter it does not. No underlying offense is required in Texas for DUI. You only need probable cause for the stop. Your assertion if the speeding is tossed the DUI will be is flat incorrect. Unlike states like TN (McNair incident) you can just weave within your lane (some states like TN require you to actually leave your lane) and get pulled and tested for suspicion of drunk driving. Even there other grounds can uphold a stop and DUI.

More to the point for resisting arrest there is a precursor act required by the police officer. Even in uniform he can't walk up and tell you to jump and when you refuse it is resisting arrest. He has to attempt to arrest (funny how that makes it into the name of the charge), search or transport you. Then you have to resist. Saying get the f out of here is none of the above.

To be clear I am not judging this case at all. The facts will be very important. There is nothing illegal about asking for water after 2 am. Shoving someone could arguably be assault. If it is all on video, someone is getting a black eye.

powda
07-08-2012, 01:48 AM
As a practical matter it does to a minor maybe degree but as a legal matter it does not. No underlying offense is required in Texas for DUI. You only need probable cause for the stop. Your assertion if the speeding is tossed the DUI will be is flat incorrect. Unlike states like TN (McNair incident) you can just weave within your lane (some states like TN require you to actually leave your lane) and get pulled and tested for suspicion of drunk driving. Even there other grounds can uphold a stop and DUI.

More to the point for resisting arrest there is a precursor act required by the police officer. Even in uniform he can't walk up and tell you to jump and when you refuse it is resisting arrest. He has to attempt to arrest (funny how that makes it into the name of the charge), search or transport you. Then you have to resist. Saying get the f out of here is none of the above.

To be clear I am not judging this case at all. The facts will be very important. There is nothing illegal about asking for water after 2 am. Shoving someone could arguably be assault. If it is all on video, someone is getting a black eye.

Perhaps dwi is a bad example though I see it all the time and keep in mind theres a dash cam present. If you can articulate weaving then there is pc for the stop. Without it you need another reason to pull someone over...hence the speeding example. If there is no speeding (or weaving etc...) there is no reason to effect the stop. If the speeding charge is beat theres no pc to have ever found the dwi.

In Petersons case, he was on private property. Business hours were over and officers were ushering people out the door. You cant just stay wherever you want whenever you want if its private property. I read and can speculate very easily on a patron who was pi and refused to leave (tresspassing). If he threatened or shoved an officer away then screw him...forget the fame and status...at that point he's just another turd.

infantrycak
07-08-2012, 02:04 AM
Perhaps dwi is a bad example though I see it all the time and keep in mind theres a dash cam present. If you can articulate weaving then there is pc for the stop. Without it you need another reason to pull someone over...hence the speeding example. If there is no speeding (or weaving etc...) there is no reason to effect the stop. If the speeding charge is beat theres no pc to have ever found the dwi.

Everything you are talking about is needing PC not needing an underlying charge. That is the underlying distinction I was pointing out. PC doesn't have to mean a charge. Somebody can be holding a Red Bull in a coozie at 3 am halfway nodding off committing no offense and the court will probably hold up the PC. I know of a woman who was parked legally sleeping in her car but it was a non-residential area and she got convicted of DUI.

You cant just stay wherever you want whenever you want if its private property. .

Totally agree with that and the business owner has the right to forcibly eject you. The question I am raising is whether the cop actually did enough to support a criminal charge. I am sure further facts will emerge like the video although it probably won't have audio. But there is a big difference between "I am arresting you for PI" and "hey buddy you need to leave."

powda
07-08-2012, 03:15 AM
PC doesn't have to mean a charge.

Exactly. If you dont have pc to pull somone over in the first place everything you find is tossed no matter how substantial. Just wanted to clarify for some of the other posters. You can be detained without being arrested...if you resist that detainment you get charges like the one put against ap...

jaayteetx
07-08-2012, 09:12 AM
With hesitation.

No da I know is going to maintain an asslt pub servant charge on an off duty cop who doesn't identify himself. You'd be looking at a misd A assault.

Exit Powda.

Or they trump up another charge to have reason to pull you over, just saying...

Kaiser Toro
07-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Ah, so it's not really fishing then. It's more like setting a trot line to see how many fish you can get to take the bait (the "CHL owners are mostly a crazy bunch" bait).

Nice.

No, but some fish are hungrier than others, while others react as a defensive mechanism. Moreover, some fish will go after artificial lures as readily as live bait.

Every fish is different, just like CHL owners, running backs and fantasy leagues.

HJam72
07-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Judd Zulgad (of the Star Tribune) twitter>>>>>>>>

But, but....AD is not a Houstonian and might not know how Houston cops dress. :mcnugget: Or.....or.....maybe he was just too drunk to know it is against the law to beat up cops. He is innocent I tell ya...

ckhouston
07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
The guy just cuffed and stuffed Adrian Peterson...I'm pretty sure he might have flubbed the terminology of how it went down.

Took three of them to get him "cuffed and stuffed" ... that first donut eating waste of taxpayer money wouldnt have had a chance.

Because they are arrogant pricks who protect and serve NOTHING. They are their to act like barney-bad-asses, and steal your money. If it were up to me cop uniforms would come with bulleyes embroidered on them ...

Stemp
07-08-2012, 11:34 AM
So it sounds like he was drunk and did a big no-no and pushed a uniformed officer and even went chickensh-- and did it when the officer's back was turned. The officer placed him under arrest (probably to escort him out, who wants to deal with paperwork for a push) and Peterson resisted arrest and made things 100 times worse.

Why are people defending him now?

thunderkyss
07-08-2012, 12:19 PM

I don't know that anyone is defending him now. We're all speculating as to what happened as we don't have enough info.

Texn4life
07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Ever wonder why NBA players don't want to live here? Clubbing is often problematic.

This actually isn't true completely. There are a lot of NBA players and NFL players who have homes in Houston, but don't play here. I will say that lately there is a thought out there amongst a lot of people that clubbing options for young, rich, BLACK athletes have become limited here in Houston. Probably a good thing though because it would seem to do these guys a favor and keep them out of trouble.

As for as AP, I really see it as being out of character for him. If he initiated contact with the officer then he was justified in being arrested. HPD hasn't been notorious for throwing their weight around against high profile athletes here, but there have been a couple of incidents that have brought attention. In fact, most of the interactions that I've been around have seen HPD cater to guys in different ways to look out for them. Pretty sure that more will come out over the next few days, but I'm sure the Vikings probably just care that AP was out getting hammered while he's trying to recover from an ACL injury. Having seen my share of fights in clubs and bars in Houston, I'm sure they would want him to not chance it by being in that type of environment.

Playoffs
07-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Cop did what he had to do.

I don't defend what AP did, but his reputation is as a pretty solid guy. Probably shouldn't get drunk, but did. Acted a fool, got popped. It happens. Doesn't define who he is, though, except that he's human and made a mistake.

Norg
07-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Beer is a hell of a Drug ... :P

CloakNNNdagger
07-08-2012, 04:04 PM
VIDEO: (http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/08/adrian-peterson-arrest-video/)Adrian Peterson Arrest Video -- Last Call for Handcuffs!

Stemp
07-08-2012, 04:41 PM
VIDEO: (http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/08/adrian-peterson-arrest-video/)Adrian Peterson Arrest Video -- Last Call for Handcuffs!

Unfortunately, all that shows is him being handcuffed and let out. And it shows the officers were, indeed, in uniform.

GP
07-08-2012, 06:30 PM
No, but some fish are hungrier than others, while others react as a defensive mechanism. Moreover, some fish will go after artificial lures as readily as live bait.

Every fish is different, just like CHL owners, running backs and fantasy leagues.

LOL. Good fishing analogies!

Do you have a CFPL?

Concealed Fishing Pole License.

GP
07-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Well, he's gonna get cuffed and stuffed by Sheriff Wade Phillips the next time he's in Houston.

And Deputies JJ Watt and Brian Cushing will be assisting.

LOL. Somebody had to say it...

gg no re
07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Well, he's gonna get cuffed and stuffed by Sheriff Wade Phillips the next time he's in Houston.

And Deputies JJ Watt and Brian Cushing will be assisting.

LOL. Somebody had to say it...
Just send him down to Washington Ave. He'll be denied at every point.

Heath Shuler
07-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Adrian Peterson arrested in HOU this morning 4 resisting arrest. He's supposed 2 be one of the top RB's & he can't even run from the cops.

Fake John McClain ‏@FakeJohnMcClain

TimeKiller
07-09-2012, 10:04 AM
NBA players don't want to live here? I thought Houston was packed full of pro athletes?

Yeah our clubs are terrible. They make you leave at closing time.....Peterson is a big man, I wonder how much alkyhall it takes to sway his sobriety.

ckhouston
07-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Peterson tweeting it was all lies and the truth will come out.

Stay tuned.

Playoffs
07-09-2012, 11:22 AM
AP Tweeted...

Adrian Peterson ‏@AdrianPeterson
Thank you for waiting for the facts. Truth will surface.

20h Adrian Peterson ‏@AdrianPeterson
“A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.” WC

Heath Shuler
07-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Adrian Peterson has hired high-profile attorney Rusty Hardin to represent him after arrest. Hardin was Clemens attorney.
@espn_nfcnblog:

Double Barrel
07-09-2012, 11:47 AM

yep. Especially when the club's GM said in a public statement that AP was "throwing his ego around and making people mad, so they put him in the VIP area."

Just another drunk pro athlete with his head up in the clouds and HPD made his feet touch the ground. But, I'm sure Rusty Hardin will be glad to take his hard earned money and get this absolved.

eriadoc
07-09-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure why this is getting so much chatter. There are no bad cops here. I think they went easy on him. JMO.

The one problem I do have with the story is actually a philosophical one not specific to this story, and that is off-duty police acting with full authority of the police. I have always had an issue with that, but it has no real bearing on this specific story.

Playoffs
07-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Hired Rusty Hardin? That's just silly.

Perhaps I was wrong about AP taking his medicine & moving on.

infantrycak
07-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Hired Rusty Hardin? That's just silly.

Please explain why.

Heath Shuler
07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/07/09/0709-adrian-mug-shot-w3-1.jpg

Playoffs
07-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Please explain why.It's a fineable offense that could easily disappear with some time and quiet behind-the-scenes diplomacy. Rusty gets in front of the cameras & tends to pick fights. ( I've retained him in the past.) There are a number of highly respected local attorneys who would be better suited to making it disappear, imo.

Now, perhaps Rusty will take another tack here. But that's not his usual M.O. He's a good guy to go to trial with.

Heath Shuler
07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Vikings' Adrian Peterson's dad: Officer used 'vulgar language,' was 'disrespectful'

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21036718/vikings-adrian-petersons-dad-officer-used-vulgar-language?source=rss

The off-duty police officer who confronted Adrian Peterson used "vulgar language" and was "disrespectful" when asking the Minnesota Vikings running back to leave the club in downtown Houston over the weekend, Peterson's father, Nelson, told the Pioneer Press.

"From what I've gathered, he was very disrespectful to Adrian," Nelson said by phone Monday, July 9.

infantrycak
07-09-2012, 03:23 PM
It's a fineable offense that could easily disappear with some time and quiet behind-the-scenes diplomacy. Rusty gets in front of the cameras & tends to pick fights. ( I've retained him in the past.) There are a number of highly respected local attorneys who would be better suited to making it disappear, imo.

Now, perhaps Rusty will take another tack here. But that's not his usual M.O. He's a good guy to go to trial with.

That's the thing - AP may have no intention of a result other than dismissal or trial in which case Rusty is one of the best.

Yankee_In_TX
07-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm guessing the truth is some where in the middle.

AP admits he was drunk.

We all have witnessed off duty cops on power trips.

Heath Shuler
07-09-2012, 04:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/adrian-peterson-hires-roger-clemens-attorney-father-says-184441464--nfl.html

Here's Hardin's first statement on behalf of his new client:

Adrian Peterson did not resist arrest this past Saturday morning and any suggestion that he pushed, struck or shoved a Houston Police Officer is a total fabrication. He, in fact, was struck at least twice in the face for absolutely no legitimate reason, and when all the evidence is impartially reviewed, it will clearly show Adrian was the victim, not the aggressor.

We have been investigating what happened since Saturday afternoon, and it is absolutely clear to me that the charges should not have been filed, and the Bayou Club owes Adrian an apology for having put out a totally false version of what happened. Adrian Peterson does not act the way he has been described in the initial reports, and he did not act that way Saturday morning. He was only in that club for 30 to 40 minutes, was never objectionable to other patrons, and never physically resisted any police officer. Adrian is extremely upset about these false allegations. These charges are totally at odds with the way he has conducted himself throughout his career, and he asks that his fans and the public at large reserve judgment until they hear all the facts. Adrian looks forward to his day in court.

Double Barrel
07-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I know Rusty is just doing what he does best, but it reads like B.S. to me.

So Peterson arrived at the club at 1:20 a.m.? And was just minding his own business when a cop started hitting on him? And the club's GM was completely fabricating his drunken belligerence and need to put him in VIP area to keep him away from other customers?

yeah, sounds legit. :rolleyes:

disaacks3
07-09-2012, 06:55 PM
yep. Especially when the club's GM said in a public statement that AP was "throwing his ego around and making people mad, so they put him in the VIP area."

Just another drunk pro athlete with his head up in the clouds and HPD made his feet touch the ground. But, I'm sure Rusty Hardin will be glad to take his hard earned money and get this absolved. The only people I keep hearing with "AP's version" of the story are his family & lawyer.

I'm not sure why this is getting so much chatter. There are no bad cops here. I think they went easy on him. JMO.

The one problem I do have with the story is actually a philosophical one not specific to this story, and that is off-duty police acting with full authority of the police. I have always had an issue with that, but it has no real bearing on this specific story. AP is claming he got a black eye out of the deal.

Vikings' Adrian Peterson's dad: Officer used 'vulgar language,' was 'disrespectful'] Yep, probably along the lines of "Get the **** out!" after he had to ask a second time.

ckhouston
07-09-2012, 06:58 PM
We all have witnessed every cop who ever lived on power trips.

fify

ckhouston
07-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I know Rusty is just doing what he does best, but it reads like B.S. to me.

So Peterson arrived at the club at 1:20 a.m.? And was just minding his own business when a cop started hitting on him? And the club's GM was completely fabricating his drunken belligerence and need to put him in VIP area to keep him away from other customers?

yeah, sounds legit. :rolleyes:

Cops are *******s and the club "GM" is probably also the one making the kickback money off the X and Coke being sold in the bathroom and passing it along to the cop to look the other way.

Yeah, sounds legit.

GP
07-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Isn't AP's dad an ex-con??? I'd be asking dad to stay quiet, just offer support...we'll handle the legal accusations.

And he's saying cops used vulgar language??? LOL. Well, this isn't kindergarten class...I'm sure an expletive or three was said on many sides.

AP should walk away. He's just causing himself more P.R. trouble by keeping this in the headlines. And the Vikes get their team name in the headlines and stories the whole way too.

Pride. It's a helluva' drug.

Stemp
07-09-2012, 07:45 PM
The only people I keep hearing with "AP's version" of the story are his family & lawyer.

AP is claming he got a black eye out of the deal.

Yep, probably along the lines of "Get the **** out!" after he had to ask a second time.

I don't see any redness or swelling around an eye or a facial expression of someone who was beat up. Just the pink cheeks of someone who's been drinking.
http://bluecouchstudios.com/ATM/AP_Mugshot.jpg

Regardless, I hope the bar has cameras that caught whatever did happen but I tend to give the cops the benefit of the doubt since they normally just want everyone to go home so they can also leave.

ckhouston
07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
And he's saying cops used vulgar language??? LOL. Well, this isn't kindergarten class...I'm sure an expletive or three was said on many sides.

Really?

If you say "**** you" to a cop they can arrest you for assault.

infantrycak
07-09-2012, 08:21 PM
The one problem I do have with the story is actually a philosophical one not specific to this story, and that is off-duty police acting with full authority of the police. I have always had an issue with that, but it has no real bearing on this specific story.

I have the same misgiving - not specific to this story. I don't see why this power which belongs to everyone is not enough when off duty:

Art. 14.01. OFFENSE WITHIN VIEW. (a) A peace officer or any other person, may, without a warrant, arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace.

Maybe some tweaks for officers being automatic CHL off-duty, etc.

Regardless, I hope the bar has cameras that caught whatever did happen but I tend to give the cops the benefit of the doubt since they normally just want everyone to go home so they can also leave.

Supposedly they do have cameras.

Sure generally the cops working security are fine. The very great majority of the time in fact. But, and I am not saying this applies here, every once in a while you get the jackass. For example I was standing at a bar downtown next to a female friend and she started to get into an argument with the bartender. All the sudden I get two hand shoved in the back, whirl and there you go an off-duty but in uniform cop who literally said "what you gonna do?" As far as I am concerned he should have lost all legal protection at that point. If you can't have the professionalism expected of an on-duty officer then you shouldn't have the authority or protection when off-duty.

Texn4life
07-09-2012, 08:21 PM

This is what's so strange about this story. Generally, the cops and bouncers are overly accomodating to athletes while they're out in the clubs in Houston. I've seen them taking pictures, getting autographs, and engaging in casual conversation on many occasions. I was talking to a few friends about how out of character this is on all levels.

Showtime100
07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
I don't see any redness or swelling around an eye or a facial expression of someone who was beat up. Just the pink cheeks of someone who's been drinking.
http://bluecouchstudios.com/ATM/AP_Mugshot.jpg

I swear I'm not trying to be funny, but the first thing I thought when I saw that pic was Wanda Wayne. I hate to say that, but it was an honest reaction. Get the man a blond wig and he's good to go. :hides:

steelbtexan
07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Nelson Peterson got out of prison?

GP
07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Nelson Peterson got out of prison?

Link to ESPN The Magazine story (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3647280), regarding his dad's release from prison (8 year stint) that coincided with a OU-UT game played in Dallas where AP played but his dad couldn't attend due to probation restrictions that forbid him crossing the Texas-Oklahoma state line.

He's been out quite awhile now.

powda
07-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I have the same misgiving - not specific to this story. I don't see why this power which belongs to everyone is not enough when off duty:

Glad the jobs are there...couldnt survive financially without it. Regular pay is twice as much as regular salary. Holiday rates can be 3-4 times as much. Keep in mind though anything you work is overtime and there is no insurance should there be a problem.

eriadoc
07-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Glad the jobs are there...couldnt survive financially without it. Regular pay is twice as much as regular salary. Holiday rates can be 3-4 times as much. Keep in mind though anything you work is overtime and there is no insurance should there be a problem.

Don't have a problem with the jobs, but police should carry the same authority when they are doing an off duty security job as any other random security guard, i.e., any regular citizen. The companies that hired LEOs for off duty security work under that scenario would still be getting value for their dollar, because security guards in all other ways are a joke. So it really wouldn't impact the jobs part of it, IMO.

Texan_Bill
07-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Not sure what "LED's" mean, but I have no problem with "off-duty" HPD officers working extra jobs, especially "in uniform" making a few extra bucks... "Well other than the fact I don't like, nor generally get along with HPD (past experiences/arrests)" but generally respect what they intend to do.

I may on a vary rare occasion be a drunken fool, but continue in your express on serious, violent crimes.... That would be AWESOME!!!

powda
07-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Don't have a problem with the jobs, but police should carry the same authority when they are doing an off duty security job as any other random security guard, i.e., any regular citizen. The companies that hired LEOs for off duty security work under that scenario would still be getting value for their dollar, because security guards in all other ways are a joke. So it really wouldn't impact the jobs part of it, IMO.

Im not going to argue the politics of it. Your entitled completly to your perspective. But to me its a win / win for everyone. Officers can make more money, businesses get a necessary service, and more uniformed officers mean more of a deterent for crime as a whole for the community. Try working a bank 2 days after it's been robbed and you can see what a relief it is for some people.

On a personal note my goal in working side jobs is to make a check and not get into sh*t. Agencies routinely punish their officers by suspending their privledge to work extra and make the additional money. Thats why its a bit harder for me to believe these officers went after such a high profile person. I doubt they intentionally went gung ho on ap to prove some point. That doesn't mean they didnt do something wrong or stupid along the way way but I doubt it was ever their original intent. Ive had to chase drunk people out of rented ball rooms before myself and its not the easiest task. The problem usually ends when 1 of 2 things happens:

You explain to them their past the time rented and to stay longer will mean more charges from the business (as in thousands more)

Or

You start unplugging the dj's equipment

That doesn't always work. Drunk people arent always reasonable. You try to be nice and understand people are just having a good time, but a business owner has rights to. Usually theres a staff who needs to clean up and wants to go home as well.

Ultimately, ap is innocent till proven guilty and he'll have his day in court. Fortunately for him, I think he can afford innocence more then the average joe. Must be nice.

CloakNNNdagger
07-09-2012, 11:22 PM
I knew about Peterson's dad (money laundering).

But I didn't know about this:

When he was thirteen years old his father was sentenced to ten years in prison for money laundering in connection with illegal drugs. Nelson Peterson served nearly eight years of his prison sentence and was released in October 2006. His brother was hit and killed by a drunk driver while riding his bicycle as a kid. His stepbrother, Chris Paris, was shot and killed in Houston, Texas, one day before Adrian's participation in the 2007 NFL Scouting Combine.
link (http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/speech-famous.shtml)

CloakNNNdagger
07-10-2012, 07:43 AM
From the Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/161872695.html):

Hardin contends Peterson was only at the club for 30-40 minutes before closing time, an assertion that could debunk the club's claim that the running back was acting rudely all night.

"There will be no patron who will say that he was being obnoxious or doing anything wrong," Hardin said in a phone interview with the Star Tribune. "And there aren't going to be any witnesses, other than one or two of the officers, that claim he even touched an officer. But TMZ [and the nightclub general manager] made it sound like he was hell on water."

The wheels for the Hardin-Peterson union were set in motion while the Vikings' star was still in jail, a clear indication that Peterson badly wants the stains to his reputation removed and his rap sheet wiped clean.

Hardin said the legal hope is that the district attorney's office investigates, talks to witnesses, identifies the Houston Police Department's claims as embellished and/or bogus and drops the charges. But even that scenario could have complications, given Peterson's celebrity status and the possibility that prosecutors could push the issue to avoid the perception they're cutting a star a break.

Realistically, the resolution could be a ways off. And, inevitably, the spotlight will shine brightly on the case as long as it lasts.

Little of this will impact the Vikings as a team. But when training camp opens in Mankato in two weeks, Peterson's legal issues will be a hot story line, an annoyance the running back and the organization would rather be without.

Double Barrel
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM
I swear I'm not trying to be funny, but the first thing I thought when I saw that pic was Wanda Wayne. I hate to say that, but it was an honest reaction. Get the man a blond wig and he's good to go. :hides:

There was something amusing about that picture that I couldn't quite pinpoint, and you nailed it! Hilarious, man! :heh:

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/binary/26f1/1331848475-jamie_foxx_wanda_wayne_01-e1294399745147.jpeg

This story scream Occam's razor to me. Either multiple people were in on a conspiracy to make Peterson look bad in a misdemeanor arrest, or he was acting the drunken fool. I'll take the path of least resistance. I have little patience for those that can't handle their booze.

CloakNNNdagger
07-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I become very skeptical when I hear high-profile attorneys publicly putting out extensive dogmatic statements.:kitten:

GP
07-10-2012, 01:08 PM
A man working extra time, to make more money for him and his family????

Of course we can see how this is questionable. I mean, working AT ALL in this country has become taboo...let alone working EXTRA.

That man can go and risk his life and be paid, but if he works an evening event that's relatively safe...then he's over the line! Sometimes I just shake my head at some of the utterly worthless nuanced crap I read on here.

gtexan02
07-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Of course we can see how this is questionable. I mean, working AT ALL in this country has become taboo...let alone working EXTRA.

That man can go and risk his life and be paid, but if he works an evening event that's relatively safe...then he's over the line! Sometimes I just shake my head at some of the utterly worthless nuanced crap I read on here.

Windmills and dragons

Double Barrel
07-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I become very skeptical when I hear high-profile attorneys publicly putting out extensive dogmatic statements.:kitten:

Especially for a mere misdemeanor. It screams "protect my image", because marketing opportunities are a big part of the cash grab these days. God forbid Peterson's squeaky clean image is tarnished by his own goofy actions.

Yeah, go figure. As just a regular member of the public, I have found that treating a cop (on or off duty) with respect usually results in getting respected back 99.9% of the time. Sure cops can be gruff, but jeez, I figure that's just a by-product of dealing with the bottom half of humanity for a job. I'm certainly not going to whine about sand in my vajayjay because he said a curse word. Give me a freakin' break.

CloakNNNdagger
07-10-2012, 01:42 PM

MSR

Especially for a mere misdemeanor. It screams "protect my image", because marketing opportunities are a big part of the cash grab these days. God forbid Peterson's squeaky clean image is tarnished by his own goofy actions.

Yeah, go figure. As just a regular member of the public, I have found that treating a cop (on or off duty) with respect usually results in getting respected back 99.9% of the time. Sure cops can be gruff, but jeez, I figure that's just a by-product of dealing with the bottom half of humanity for a job. I'm certainly not going to whine about sand in my vajayjay because he said a curse word. Give me a freakin' break.

The hard to swallow message to Police: I want you around...........except when I don't want you around.:thinking:

Playoffs
07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
The hard to swallow message to Police: I want you around...........except when I don't want you around.:thinking:Yep. I stopped having issues with LEO when I stopped breaking the law. (Funny how that works.) Now I'm friends with HPD/HCSD officers, and I make a point to thank them for standing the line.

MSRGot him for you.

badboy
07-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Ever wonder why NBA players don't want to live here? Clubbing is often problematic.If you use "clubbing" to mean imbibing in intoxicating substance, dragging your feet when told to leave a closing establishment, running your mouth, shoving and deciding to get a "drink of water" after being told to leave (all alleged at this time).

badboy
07-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Maybe some tweaks for officers being automatic CHL off-duty, etc.

Supposedly they do have cameras.

Sure generally the cops working security are fine. The very great majority of the time in fact. But, and I am not saying this applies here, every once in a while you get the jackass. For example I was standing at a bar downtown next to a female friend and she started to get into an argument with the bartender. All the sudden I get two hand shoved in the back, whirl and there you go an off-duty but in uniform cop who literally said "what you gonna do?" As far as I am concerned he should have lost all legal protection at that point. If you can't have the professionalism expected of an on-duty officer then you shouldn't have the authority or protection when off-duty.Just curious, why did your female friend get into an arguement with the bartender?

infantrycak
07-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Just curious, why did your female friend get into an arguement with the bartender?

Not sure I remember exactly - I think it was over consolidating a table tab and a bar tab. She was being strident no doubt but all it was just an ordinary raised voices by both parties argument. It was early afternoon and we were having lunch at the Cabo's in downtown.

GP or anyone slapping him on the back for this post please show where anyone has begrudged officers working two jobs or making money?

The only comments I have seen have been about the authority they are permitted to exercise while off-duty which includes working another job or out bird watching.

Texn4life
07-10-2012, 04:06 PM
GP or anyone slapping him on the back for this post please show where anyone has begrudged officers working two jobs or making money?

The only comments I have seen have been about the authority they are permitted to exercise while off-duty which includes working another job or out bird watching.

I think it probably has more to do with other comments that he's seen in other boards or blogs. At least that's what I took from it because I've seen some idiotic posts in other forums. I've seen some people actually question the fact that cops being able to work as a bouncer in a club and having it be a conflict of interest in a sense. That to me is crazy. I've never EVER been intimidated or felt uncomfortable with a cop working in a club except for the time I got a MIP in College Station from a cop working in a club. But he was just doing his job. I wasn't mad at him. I'm friends with 5 HPD officers and all of them work or have worked extra jobs.

One other thing that is intriguing to me is the amount of people that are so sure that Adrian Peterson would never do such a thing. Not comparing OJ Simpson to Peterson, but I'm sure people would have never suspected him of being capable of murder before it happened. I know it blindsided me. I've heard plenty of stories about AD and he's not as squeaky clean as people would love to believe. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy either. Point is people would be amazed at what these guys do behind closed doors. Its easy to hold them to higher standards but at the end of the day they're just like me and you. From all accounts of AD and the people that know him well, he's actually a lot more mellow and reserved now than what he was in HS and OU, but you are who you are. Plenty of nice guys make mistakes and have internal demons.

badboy
07-10-2012, 04:10 PM
I think it probably has more to do with other comments that he's seen in other boards or blogs. At least that's what I took from it because I've seen some idiotic posts in other forums. I've seen some people actually question the fact that cops being able to work as a bouncer in a club and having it be a conflict of interest in a sense. That to me is crazy. I've never EVER been intimidated or felt uncomfortable with a cop working in a club except for the time I got a MIP in College Station from a cop working in a club. But he was just doing his job. I wasn't mad at him. I'm friends with 5 HPD officers and all of them work or have worked extra jobs extra jobs.

One other thing that is intriguing to me is the amount of people that are so sure that Adrian Peterson would never do such a thing. Not comparing OJ Simpson to Peterson, but I'm sure people would have never suspected him of being capable of murder before it happened. I know it blindsided me. I've heard plenty of stories about AD and he's not as squeaky clean as people would love to believe. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy either. Point is people would be amazed at what these guys do behind closed doors. Its easy to hold them to higher standards but at the end of the day they're just like me and you. From all accounts of AD and the people that know him well, he's actually a lot more mellow and reserved than what he was in HS and OU, but you are who you are. Plenty of nice guys make mistakes and have internal demons.Uh, do I want to know what an MIP is? Probably just so I can maybe get this image out of my mind.

Texn4life
07-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Uh, do I want to know what an MIP is? Probably just so I can maybe get this image out of my mind.

Minor in Possession (alcohol) Do I even wanna know what it is you were thinking?

eriadoc
07-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Uh, do I want to know what an MIP is? Probably just so I can maybe get this image out of my mind.

Minor In Possession, sounds like.

And yeah ... GP, I have no idea what you're ranting about.

2012Champs
07-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Just curious, why did your female friend get into an arguement with the bartender?

How would the subject of her issue with the bartender excuse Cak from getting pushed by the off duty officer?

Double Barrel
07-10-2012, 04:47 PM

I'm not sure of the origin of GP's rant. I was just using it to piggy back after reading powda's informative post. I think GP's last line was more from a perspective in general about some of the less-than-positive stories and anti-cop sentiment in the NSZ, but he would have to confirm that to be the case. Like you have said before, though, good cop stories are not really newsworthy so we do not talk about them.

As far as your second point, I have never really thought about it. But, if I was a club owner in need of security, I'd much rather have an HPD officer than some Barney Fife rent-a-cop. I can't speak for their authority on or off duty, but I thought cops were cops 24/7, regardless of on/off job status. That's pure assumption on my part, though, so nothing to support by way of law.

infantrycak
07-10-2012, 06:06 PM
As far as your second point, I have never really thought about it. But, if I was a club owner in need of security, I'd much rather have an HPD officer than some Barney Fife rent-a-cop. I can't speak for their authority on or off duty, but I thought cops were cops 24/7, regardless of on/off job status. That's pure assumption on my part, though, so nothing to support by way of law.

If I was a club owner I would prefer an officer as well.

I just have concerns over the authority and repercussions. A bouncer has the right to walk you to the door. If you pull your arm away you don't get charged with resisting arrest. A bouncer may chest bump you and you bump him back - it's just a batter and the ump arguing over the plate. Same thing happens with an officer and you may end up with an assaulting an officer charge. I think knowing they have the same power of enforcement encourages a minority of them to act more aggressively. I think them wearing their uniforms alone lends a weight to their instructions.

CloakNNNdagger
07-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Evidently covers police officers AND non police bouncers.

CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

TITLE 1. CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

CHAPTER 14. ARREST WITHOUT WARRANT

Art. 14.01. OFFENSE WITHIN VIEW. (a) A peace officer or any other person, may, without a warrant, arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace.

(b) A peace officer may arrest an offender without a warrant for any offense committed in his presence or within his view.

Acts 1965, 59th Leg., vol. 2, p. 317, ch. 722. Amended by Acts 1967, 60th Leg., p. 1735, ch. 659, Sec. 8, eff. Aug. 28, 1967.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.14.htm

disaacks3
07-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Evidently covers police officers AND non police bouncers.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.14.htm

That's the "Citizens Arrest" standard. It covers anybody. It'll hold up a lot better in court with a TCLEOSE certification-holder doing the "arresting".

Double Barrel
07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
If I was a club owner I would prefer an officer as well.

I just have concerns over the authority and repercussions. A bouncer has the right to walk you to the door. If you pull your arm away you don't get charged with resisting arrest. A bouncer may chest bump you and you bump him back - it's just a batter and the ump arguing over the plate. Same thing happens with an officer and you may end up with an assaulting an officer charge. I think knowing they have the same power of enforcement encourages a minority of them to act more aggressively. I think them wearing their uniforms alone lends a weight to their instructions.

Very interesting. I never really gave it much thought. Then again, I don't go to bars and don't get rowdy at public events to have a security guard, bouncer, or off-duty cop have to man-handle me.

Good points, though. Their uniform definitely adds weight to their instructions. I've seen it many times at games and concerts (those are off-duty cops at those events, right?)

infantrycak
07-10-2012, 07:34 PM
CnD - way late on the citizen's arrest standard. j/k

Very interesting. I never really gave it much thought. Then again, I don't go to bars and don't get rowdy at public events to have a security guard, bouncer, or off-duty cop have to man-handle me.

Good points, though. Their uniform definitely adds weight to their instructions. I've seen it many times at games and concerts (those are off-duty cops at those events, right?)

Yes they are off-duty. That's why you see uniforms which are way outside their jurisdiction.

As I said to me it is about the dramatically different ramifications for behaving in exactly the same way to two guys who may be in exactly the same place providing security, and then how that potentially affects their behavior.

GP
07-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure of the origin of GP's rant. I was just using it to piggy back after reading powda's informative post. I think GP's last line was more from a perspective in general about some of the less-than-positive stories and anti-cop sentiment in the NSZ, but he would have to confirm that to be the case. Like you have said before, though, good cop stories are not really newsworthy so we do not talk about them.

nu·ance (näns, ny-, n-äns, ny-)
n.
1. A subtle or slight degree of difference, as in meaning, feeling, or tone; a gradation.
2. Expression or appreciation of subtle shades of meaning, feeling, or tone: a rich artistic performance, full of nuance.

In other words, when things are black and white...people try and find nuances, subtle degrees of difference, as in meaning, feeling, or tone. In short: Such a person acts as if he/she has the inside track on something and other people merely need to be informed of their ignorance on the topic being discussed.

The problem with nuanced views, IMO, is that it's subjective and open to constant interpretation. Suddenly, the conversation becomes fractured and the main point is lost. Instead, the energy of the discussion is spent chasing all the various veins and rabbit trails of minutia.

mi·nu·ti·a (m-nsh-, -sh, -ny-)
n. pl. mi·nu·ti·ae (-sh-)
A small or trivial detail: "the minutiae of experimental and mathematical procedure" (Frederick Turner).

All the way around, there is no progress toward a sound conclusion that attempts to find truth. Instead, we attempt to create the truth via persuasive debate/speaking.

The lawyer representing Adrian Peterson, for example, is attempting to create a truth rather than finding what truth is really there. And if he can persuade a court of law that HIS truth is real (and it happens ALL the time in America) then what more can I say?

AN EXAMPLE:
One of the worst violators is American Christianity. There is no shortage of nuanced Christian mores in America. Turn on the TV, flip through the God channels, and see how many different views of grace, truth, revelation, etc. are out there for consumption by an all too eager Christian market. All one has to do is merely shop for their choice of church or denomination based on what church/denomination most closely resembles their current needs. And if you can't find it out there...just create one or persuade a few church members to split from the church and create a new brand of church that feels "more right."

I am not blanket labeling Christians on here, either. So I don't want people thinking I'm slamming them per se. I am merely saying that, unlike the Christianity you see in 3rd World nations, or nations were being a Christian is punishable by death or imprisonment, the brand of Christianity that I see in America is soft and mushy and can be formed and shaped to fit the person practicing it. That's a whole 'nuther topic though.

Nuanced thinking does not discriminate. It's found in all corners of the world and through the whole spectrum of human history. I just happen to think it's in concentrated form in America right now (and has been since the 1960s).

Even with what I typed, a nuanced person is going to pick it apart and apply their nuanced thinking towards my statements in order to make THEIR point. Sit and watch, it'll happen in short form.

infantrycak
07-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Nuanced thinking does not discriminate.

I hope this was some sort of joke otherwise it is the oxymoronic statement of the year - at least so far.

steelbtexan
07-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I will bet the anti AD people have never had a problem with cops being out of line.

The pro AD people have had these problems.

I find that if you do what the cops ask of you, you wont have these problems. Although I can see cops having problems with a young rich black guy not doing what they are telling him to do. Even if it is asking for a glass of water. Cops are generally big introverts with huge egos.

This is usually a case of who is the biggest swinging d**k in the club and it never turns out well for the young rich black athlete.

CloakNNNdagger
07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Why does it sound that Hardin is not threatening the city...........but is?

Peterson’s lawyer says no civil suit planned “at this time”

When Vikings running back Adrian Peterson hired high-profile attorney Rusty Hardin to fight his resisting arrest charge, it signaled that Peterson was looking for a fight, rather than a resolution that would make the whole thing go away quietly. But while Hardin claims that an off-duty Houston police officer gave Peterson a black eye, he also says that at the moment, he’s not looking to file a civil suit.

Asked in an interview with Andrew Siciliano on NFL Network whether they are contemplating a civil lawsuit, Hardin answered, “No, not at this time. I think those kind of things are way premature.”

Hardin didn’t expressly rule out Peterson suing the Houston Police Department, but he said that right now he’s looking to convince prosecutors to drop the resisting arrest charge.

“We’ll just concentrate on getting this taken care of first,” Hardin said. “The key thing for everybody to understand is Adrian never pushed, shoved or hit a police officer, and any suggestions that he did are just flat false. The initial reports were clearly wrong as to what happened. He wasn’t refusing to leave. He was leaving when he was placed under arrest; he did have some words with a police officer, but not anything that justifies an arrest and he certainly never did anything physically toward him. So I think when this is all over, the prosecutors are going to have to conclude these charges should never have been filed.”

Based on what we’ve heard so far, it sounds like the police at the very least overreacted. The wise move may be for the authorities in Houston to drop the charge against Peterson, and hope that Peterson’s ready to drop it as well.link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/10/petersons-lawyer-says-no-civil-suit-planned-at-this-time/)

CloakNNNdagger
07-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Rusty inciting the audience.

The attorney for Vikings running back Adrian Peterson says the Houston Police Department had no valid reason to arrest Peterson on Saturday, when they arrested him and charged him with resisting arrest, but not with any other offense.

Attorney Rusty Hardin told Mike Florio (who’s filling in on the Dan Patrick Show today) that it’s baffling that Peterson would be charged with resisting arrest when the police still haven’t said what Peterson did to deserve an arrest in the first place.

“That’s because there wasn’t anything to arrest him for, and that goes right to the heart of everything,” Hardin said. “There was no basis for it. . . . He wasn’t doing anything to merit an arrest.”

Peterson particularly takes issue with the allegation from the police that Peterson pushed an off-duty police officer. Hardin said Peterson’s defense team has interviewed six witnesses, all of whom side with Peterson.

“Adrian never pushed or hit a police officer or shoved him or did anything,” Hardin said.

Hardin said Peterson is hoping his fans will give him the benefit of the doubt, given his reputation as a good guy off the field.

“This kind of conduct they’re suggesting is so totally inconsistent with Adrian’s history,” Hardin said. “He has been very careful over the years to conduct himself in a way that no one would think he would do something like this.”

Ultimately, Hardin said, Peterson isn’t interested in just paying a quick fine and getting the whole thing over with. Peterson wants to be completely exonerated.

“He wants everybody to make sure they understand he didn’t do this,” Hardin said.

Demonstrating that he didn’t do it will probably be more time consuming and more expensive than just making it go away quietly, but Peterson is determined to make sure everyone hears his side of the story. And his side is that he did nothing wrong.

link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/adrian-petersons-lawyer-there-wasnt-anything-to-arrest-him-for/)

GP
07-11-2012, 10:53 AM
AP, you fugged up. Just move on.

GP
07-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I will bet the anti AD people have never had a problem with cops being out of line.

I find that if you do what the cops ask of you, you wont have these problems. Although I can see cops having problems with a young rich black guy not doing what they are telling him to do. Even if it is asking for a glass of water. Cops are generally big introverts with huge egos.

This is usually a case of who is the biggest swinging d**k in the club and it never turns out well for the young rich black athlete.

A lot of contradictions in your post.

You start off by saying that some have had cop problems and some have not...therefore the opinions being stated here are lining up with those experiences.

Then you say "I find that if you do what the cops ask of you, you wont have these problems"

Then you swerve immediately into an attack and blanket statement about cops. With racial comments sprinkled in, as well.

At the end of the day, most cops are just wanting to get off their shift and go home and celebrate making it through the day alive and unharmed.

EDIT: I just remembered a story that fits this issue. I have a friend who is a cop, long-time veteran, and he had to remove a disorderly person from Wal-Mart. Multiple times within a 30 minute span; the disorderly guy kept going back into Wal-Mart. Finally, the cop takes him out for like the 3rd time and the guy spits into the cop's face. My friend says "I will take a cussing all day long. You spit in my face, you go to jail. You just CHOSE to go to jail, so I will take you there." See what I mean? Cops actually put up with quite a bit, but anytime hands are laid on them, or body fluids are hurled upon them, they're going to take the person to jail. At some point, the game is over.

Adrian Peterson laid hands on an officer who was asking him and his group to leave. The officer did not respond to the trash talk. The officer responded to AP laying his hands on him. Totally justified.

Adrian wasn't busted up. Adrian MESSED up. And he's trying to recover some public opinion by saying the cops were over the line.

There would be a huge outcry if he genuinely suffered at the hands of cops. There would be no shortage of people running to the podium. As it stands, there's an opportunistic lawyer and a sad sack NFL superstar at the podium.

badboy
07-11-2012, 11:05 AM
How would the subject of her issue with the bartender excuse Cak from getting pushed by the off duty officer?Didn't say it did. I was interested in why she was in an arguement with bartender. I think process is you tell 'em what you want and pay for it. His explanation clarified & made sense.

Double Barrel
07-11-2012, 11:23 AM

C'mon, man, that's just not true. I do not see everything in black and white perspectives. I constantly see shades of gray. There are many stories in the NSZ that I have not taken the side of cops when they do wrong.

I try to come to logical conclusions as a judge in the court of public opinion (where were are ALL judges, btw).

It makes no sense (to me) that AP is showing up at a bar at 1:20 a.m., is cold sober, and randomly gets pushed around by a cop.

When the GM of the bar is saying that he was acting like a drunk prima donna, I can easily believe that some superstar athlete thinks the rules don't apply to him and wants special treatment. It happens all the time with rich celebrities. They believe their own hype machines.

Occam's razor to me. Anything else requires aluminum foil around my head and a belief that multiple people are going to create an elaborate conspiracy in the spur of the moment.

One version makes sense because it's simple, and the other requires a complete suspension of reason and logic to swallow.

infantrycak
07-11-2012, 02:30 PM
One version makes sense because it's simple, and the other requires a complete suspension of reason and logic to swallow.

While I appreciate your simplicity argument consider this - why would a club or police officer refuse giving water to someone they claim was obviously inebriated? When closing time hits they usually start serving up water and Red Bull as quickly as they can to perk up the drunks.

Also, how credible is a club GM who is essentially stating now "we kept serving drinks over several hours to an obviously belligerently drunk person?" Does it make any sense as the GM relates it that AP had to act so poorly he got stuck in the VIP area? - what club around would not automatically put AP in the VIP area?

In the end it is useless at this point to accept anything said IF there really is surveillance video.

Stemp
07-11-2012, 03:10 PM
While I appreciate your simplicity argument consider this - why would a club or police officer refuse giving water to someone they claim was obviously inebriated? When closing time hits they usually start serving up water and Red Bull as quickly as they can to perk up the drunks.

Would you give anything extra to a person who has been causing trouble or being a pain the ass at your establishment? Especially if that person is hanging around and unwilling to leave at closing time?

Also, how credible is a club GM who is essentially stating now "we kept serving drinks over several hours to an obviously belligerently drunk person?" Does it make any sense as the GM relates it that AP had to act so poorly he got stuck in the VIP area? - what club around would not automatically put AP in the VIP area?

In the end it is useless at this point to accept anything said IF there really is surveillance video.
I didn't see anywhere where Peterson was being a belligerent drunk. It said he was being a prima donna and basically an ass. And nowhere does it say that they kept serving him drinks after it was apparent he was drunk. If they did so, their liquor license or the bartenders job would be in jeopardy.

I've served people who I thought were OK and they 5 minutes later it really clear they are smashed. At that point, you cut them off but you aren't their nanny. And if that person was being an ass to me, I would basically ignore any request and I would make sure security got their ass out at closing time.

badboy
07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Would you give anything extra to a person who has been causing trouble or being a pain the ass at your establishment? Especially if that person is hanging around and unwilling to leave at closing time?

I didn't see anywhere where Peterson was being a belligerent drunk. It said he was being a prima donna and basically an ass. And nowhere does it say that they kept serving him drinks after it was apparent he was drunk. If they did so, their liquor license or the bartenders job would be in jeopardy.

I've served people who I thought were OK and they 5 minutes later it really clear they are smashed. At that point, you cut them off but you aren't their nanny. And if that person was being an ass to me, I would basically ignore any request and I would make sure security got their ass out at closing time.Just curious,if a customer is being an ass why wait until closing to get them out? Is it a money thing?

Stemp
07-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Just curious,if a customer is being an ass why wait until closing to get them out? Is it a money thing?

Obviously, I don't know, but if I were to guess, it's because they didn't want to cause a scene by kicking out a celebrity and they were just willing to wait it out till closing time. But he didn't leave, even when the police officer told him and his group they needed to go, twice.

Double Barrel
07-11-2012, 03:50 PM

Well I guess it depends on which story you buy into. One says he was polite and asked for water (unnamed source). The next story says he was drunk and demanding a drink after closing time (club GM).

His mug shot looks like he was drinking to me.

I have not seen the story where the GM admitted that they kept serving him drinks after he was inebriated. Like Stemp, my impression was that AP was being an egomaniac and they decided to put him in VIP.

I did use the term "belligerence" in one of my previous posts, but that was describing AP during the incident and from the perspective that he was drunk when confronting the cops. That's the first word that comes to my mind anytime some intoxicated fool starts picking fights with a cop. But the club GM never used that word, iirc.

As far as putting him him VIP upon arrival, perhaps since the club was only open for another 35-40 minutes (according to AP), they might not have felt it warranted?

Yep, true. It will be interesting to see if anything comes from the vid.

I've got a hunch that HPD will drop the charge because it's a little weak, and AP will want to get this behind him before the football season starts.

infantrycak
07-11-2012, 03:54 PM

I meant give as in serve not free but many bars will give free water. And yes because it is sound business policy to give/serve people who have been drinking water.

I didn't see anywhere where Peterson was being a belligerent (as in aggressive, not necessarily to the point of starting fights) drunk. It said he was being a prima donna and basically an ass. And nowhere does it say that they kept serving him drinks after it was apparent he was drunk. If they did so, their liquor license or the bartenders job would be in jeopardy.

Pick your term. Obnoxious, ass, belligerent. Here is a guy who has supposedly been to the club before so you know who he is but don't put AP in the VIP area and then when he behaves uncharacteristically drunk there is absolutely no indication he got cut off. They moved him after his uncharacteristic behavior. You think he sat politely in the VIP area after being told he was cut-off and then waited until closing time to get aggressive? Could be. Given the GM's comments I'll bet they didn't cut him off. In fact, according to the GM AP was trying to order "one more" drink

I am not taking any position yet. I am asking questions because it doesn't seem so simple as the GM's story to me. Why hasn't he been charged with assaulting a police officer? How about disorderly conduct, drunk in public, etc.?

Well I guess it depends on which story you buy into. One says he was polite and asked for water (unnamed source). The next story says he was drunk and demanding a drink after closing time (club GM).

His mug shot looks like he was drinking to me.

I have no doubt he was drinking that night. What he was ordering after closing time is up in the air.

I have not seen the story where the GM admitted that they kept serving him drinks after he was inebriated. Like Stemp, my impression was that AP was being an egomaniac and they decided to put him in VIP.

Again why wasn't he already in the VIP? Given the nature of his other comments I think the GM would have said if they cut him off. Tacit admission by not saying so. That's a critical fact to leave out of his comments.

I did use the term "belligerence" in one of my previous posts...

I wasn't even referring to your use of the word. Belligerent drunk is a term I use for obnoxiously drunk people.

As far as putting him him VIP upon arrival, perhaps since the club was only open for another 35-40 minutes (according to AP), they might not have felt it warranted?

Aren't you picking pieces of stories now? Believe the GM's story was he was there for 2-3 hours.

Yankee_In_TX
07-11-2012, 03:55 PM
The GM is being a dumbass and is going to get himself and the club in trouble with TABC. They're a national chain and probably won't stand for his nominating himself as a spokes person for the club.

As for the truth, I still think it is some where in the middle. I believe AP was drunk and I believe the cops were jerks to him. What actually happened, we'll probably never know.

disaacks3
07-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Latest on PFT
As attorney Rusty Hardin said on Wednesday’s edition of The Dan Patrick Show, there turned out to be no surveillance video of the incident that resulted in Peterson being placed in handcuffs, allegedly after being punched in the face and roughed up by police. Coupled with, as Hardin claims, six eyewitnesses who contend Peterson did nothing wrong, it will be very difficult for prosecutors to believe they’ll get a conviction via the high standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/reasonable-doubt-could-keep-peterson-from-being-prosecuted/)

He said / she said. Put a fork in it.

eriadoc
07-11-2012, 10:40 PM
AP, you fugged up. Just move on.

Let's just pretend for a minute that he didn't do what they say he did. Let's pretend that maybe they had no just cause to arrest him, and therefore no basis for a resisting arrest charge. After all, there is no accompanying charge for which he would have been arrested and subsequently resisted. So let's just pretend that he feels he's innocent, and maybe even is innocent. What should he do? If he were going to loudly proclaim his innocence and figuratively shout it from the roof tops, what lawyer would he hire? There are a lot of our rights being eroded in this country, but at least you can still fight for your day in court if you think you're innocent.

Adrian Peterson laid hands on an officer who was asking him and his group to leave.

And you know this because ... ? He and Rusty Hardin deny it. The initial report said he did. We'll find out when the court decision is made, I reckon, but you don't know any more than anyone else on this board. Personally, I am in a complete wait and see mode.

GP
07-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Let's just pretend for a minute that he didn't do what they say he did. Let's pretend that maybe they had no just cause to arrest him, and therefore no basis for a resisting arrest charge. After all, there is no accompanying charge for which he would have been arrested and subsequently resisted. So let's just pretend that he feels he's innocent, and maybe even is innocent. What should he do? If he were going to loudly proclaim his innocence and figuratively shout it from the roof tops, what lawyer would he hire? There are a lot of our rights being eroded in this country, but at least you can still fight for your day in court if you think you're innocent.

You honestly think a guy in a bar at 2 a.m., who had been told to leave numerous times, is innocent of all this??? Or that it needs wait-and-see privileges???

Okie dokie.

Look, the cops didn't go yank some librarian out of bed at 2 a.m. and charge him with a bogus crime. This was a BAR. At 2 in the morning. Tell me again how this might not be what I think it is.

Once again, this whole "Our rights are being eroded" crap is not justification or rationalization for anything where a guy at 2 a.m. in a bar mouths off and then probably resists efforts to get him out the door.

Only in America can we find ways to exonerate the guilty and imprison the innocent. THAT is the real travesty, eriadoc. And you know it.

eriadoc
07-12-2012, 04:26 AM
Only in America can we find ways to exonerate the guilty and imprison the innocent. THAT is the real travesty, eriadoc. And you know it.

I'm not exonerating anyone. I am generally of the opinion that nothing good happens at 2AM. I'm simply saying that you don't KNOW **** and nor do I. And I'm also saying that this is America, so he has the right to his day in court. Good for him.

Sorry if that was an especially complicated post.

GP
07-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm not exonerating anyone. I am generally of the opinion that nothing good happens at 2AM. I'm simply saying that you don't KNOW **** and nor do I. And I'm also saying that this is America, so he has the right to his day in court. Good for him.

Sorry if that was an especially complicated post.

All he did was get taken downtown and booked. Hell, it probably saved his life.

My only point is that AP knows full well he was drunk and was asking for such an ending. That he'd tie up the courts AND slander the cops is very telling.

He worries about his public image? Then he should be more cautious with how he acts in public.

Day in court? Fine by me. Doesn't take away from the sticky nature of the ordeal.

Playoffs
07-12-2012, 11:04 AM
And you know this because ... ? He and Rusty Hardin deny it.Roger & Rusty deny Clemons took steroids. Most of America doesn't buy that, either.

eriadoc
07-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Roger & Rusty deny Clemons took steroids. Most of America doesn't buy that, either.

That's true. The key difference is that Clemens was never going to stand trial for taking steroids. AP will be forcing a trial for this particular charge, so I guess we'll actually get to find out.

CloakNNNdagger
07-12-2012, 12:52 PM
That's true. The key difference is that Clemens was never going to stand trial for taking steroids. AP will be forcing a trial for this particular charge, so I guess we'll actually get to find out.

If it goes to court, there is a likelihood that we find out much more about AP than we now know............and that he would want us to know.:spy:

2012Champs
07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
You honestly think a guy in a bar at 2 a.m., who had been told to leave numerous times, is innocent of all this??? Or that it needs wait-and-see privileges???

Okie dokie.

Look, the cops didn't go yank some librarian out of bed at 2 a.m. and charge him with a bogus crime. This was a BAR. At 2 in the morning. Tell me again how this might not be what I think it is.

Once again, this whole "Our rights are being eroded" crap is not justification or rationalization for anything where a guy at 2 a.m. in a bar mouths off and then probably resists efforts to get him out the door.

Only in American can there be people like you who throw out "innocent until proven guilty" and blindly accept "guilty until proven innocent"

pretty sick really

badboy
07-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Obviously, I don't know, but if I were to guess, it's because they didn't want to cause a scene by kicking out a celebrity and they were just willing to wait it out till closing time. But he didn't leave, even when the police officer told him and his group they needed to go, twice.You said you would wait until closing time on an asshat then security would remove them. My question is why would you, Stemp wait that long? Doesn't your employer have the right to withhold service from certain people?

GP
07-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Only in American can there be people like you who throw out "innocent until proven guilty" and blindly accept "guilty until proven innocent"

pretty sick really

It's not sick. Abuse OF the legal system is a major reason for rising health care costs (frivolous lawsuits).

And now a wealthy, above-the-law NFL star thinks he deserves a day in court.

At 2 a.m. in a bar, being asked to leave, refusing, being asked again, then laying hands on a cop (from behind, according to reports)....yeah, I'll go with what I said and continue to say: AP should've (a) been in control of himself, (b) should take his jailing like a man and simply resolve to be smarter in the future.

But hey, it's more fun to make the lives of a few cops miserable over such a DUMB situation to begin with.

Watch the personal insults toward fellow members too. I would never call you "sick." I might give reasons why I disagree with you, but I will never call names at you. Give me the same courtesy, fair?

Stemp
07-12-2012, 04:41 PM
You said you would wait until closing time on an asshat then security would remove them. My question is why would you, Stemp wait that long? Doesn't your employer have the right to withhold service from certain people?

I said security would remove them if they didn't leave.

Think about how many people are in a club and how big a ruckus there would be if a celebrity was tossed while everyone was still there, especially if the only thing they did wrong was act like prima donna, which likely most people don't see because they aren't paying attention.

Now, imagine the club is mostly cleared out and people are required to leave and that person doesn't. You now have a good excuse to get security to escort them out and there are fewer people there to start any trouble or get in the way.

The club doesn't any trouble and probably was willing to deal with a difficult celebrity customer till the end of the night. Sure, they could cut them off and get the bouncers to toss them, but it's probably not worth the hassle, uproar and bad PR to do.

The fact is, if Peterson and his group didn't leave when asked, they was going to get escorted out anyways. Sounds to me like he did something stupid while drunk and he got has ass arrested.

infantrycak
07-12-2012, 04:44 PM
It's not sick. Abuse OF the legal system is a major reason for rising health care costs (frivolous lawsuits).

Yeah it is sick and your injection of an uneducated off-topic health care costs assertion is ridiculous as well.

Thinks he deserves? Please crawfish that statement in some fashion to try to demonstrate any basic knowledge of not just our legal system but founding principles.

He doesn't think he deserves a day in court - EVERY FREAKING PERSON CHARGED WITH ANY CRIMINAL CHARGE IS ENTITLED TO A DAY IN COURT.

2012Champs
07-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Well hello stawman

Every person deserves his or her day in court. Everyone. A person's status in this case one in which makes you jealous shouldnt have any impact on said person's rights

At 2 a.m. in a bar, being asked to leave, refusing, being asked again, then laying hands on a cop (from behind, according to reports)....yeah, I'll go with what I said and continue to say: AP should've (a) been in control of himself, (b) should take his jailing like a man and simply resolve to be smarter in the future.

I like how you use whatever portion of he said she said to fit what you think should be done. He should take his jailing like a man? What kind of nonsense are you talking?

But hey, it's more fun to make the lives of a few cops miserable over such a DUMB situation to begin with.

Watch the personal insults toward fellow members too. I would never call you "sick." I might give reasons why I disagree with you, but I will never call names at you. Give me the same courtesy, fair?

Your actions or should I say your need to remove someone's rights is sick. People are innocent until proven guilty and to change the system to fit your personal beliefs is crazy. If I see a situation that sickenss me I am certainly going to state it.

CloakNNNdagger
07-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Adrian Peterson had his first court appearance today after he was arrested last weekend in Houston, although his appearance was brief and uneventful.

The attorneys agreed to reset the case for Monday, August 6, which could disrupt Peterson’s training camp schedule if he needs to be in Houston. Peterson’s lawyer, Rusty Hardin, has consistently insisted that the charges should be dropped because Peterson did nothing wrong. He faces a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest.

Hardin says six witnesses are prepared to testify that Peterson didn’t shove an officer, contrary to what the police claim, and that Peterson was on the way out of the downtown Houston bar he had patronized when the incident with off-duty officers working security began. Hardin has painted Peterson as a victim, not a perpetrator, and says Peterson wants to be completely exonerated. Even if the case does go forward, Peterson is unlikely to face any more than a fine.

One autograph seeker in the courtroom got Peterson’s signature. No word on whether Peterson charged him $125.link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/13/adrian-peterson-appears-in-court-case-reset-to-august/)

steelbtexan
07-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Latest on PFT
Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/reasonable-doubt-could-keep-peterson-from-being-prosecuted/)

He said / she said. Put a fork in it.

Rusty will make mince meat of prosecutors in court if there's no video.

thunderkyss
07-13-2012, 01:26 PM

Note to self... add "that GP did not live in the Civil Rights era" to list of blessings to count.

GP
07-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Note to self... add "that GP did not live in the Civil Rights era" to list of blessings to count.

That's pretty sad.

You know those times when you need the edit button before things get quoted? This is one of those times for you.

I think most people are sick and tired of the racial issues. And comments like that are not worth the effort required to respond to.

Because he's black, and because I said what I said, you're using bad math to create a bad answer. But hey, your evaluation/analysis skills have been pretty bad on football issues too...so what the hay, it's par for the course I suppose.

2012Champs
07-13-2012, 01:42 PM
That's pretty sad.

You know those times when you need the edit button before things get quoted? This is one of those times for you.

I think most people are sick and tired of the racial issues. And comments like that are not worth the effort required to respond to.

Because he's black, and because I said what I said, you're using bad math to create a bad answer. But hey, your evaluation/analysis skills have been pretty bad on football issues too...so what the hay, it's par for the course I suppose.

The civil rights era has to do with civil rights. Your statement was about removing someone's rights, it had nothing to do with the man's color. Well that is unless the only reason you think AP doesnt deserve his day in court is because he is black

thunderkyss
07-13-2012, 01:43 PM
That's pretty sad.

Well, I was actually thinking Bill of Rights, but that was too long ago. I was speaking more to personal liberties.

But I see what you're saying.

drunkcookie
07-13-2012, 08:26 PM

Everyone deserves a day in court, if not we could just throw people in jail 'cos the cops said so...

StarStruck
07-13-2012, 09:03 PM
One autograph seeker in the courtroom got Peterson’s signature. No word on whether Peterson charged him $125.

When he was in Palestine last month he signed autographs for a few hours at no charge, then hung around for pictures and conversation. The town does an annual day in the park. He arrived about 10:30 a.m. and he was still there when I left around 4:30. On many occassions I have observed that his seemingly favorite attire is a white v-neck tee shirt, except for the club scene one night he had a polo shirt and was not drinking. I mention this because if anywhere to let your hair down, it would be at home. He also seeem to enjoy driving his signing bonus BMW sedan.

My initial reaction to the charge was that doesn't sound like A.D. I have been in his presence at a club as well as other events, and this doesn't pass the smell test. I wasn't there, and therefore don't know, but it certainly is uncharacteristic of the A.D. that I know, respect, and admire.

b0ng
07-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Houston (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/11/19/driver.father.beaten/index.html) Police (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doh_gGIzuHQ) beat (http://www.officer.com/news/10416104/man-claims-houston-police-officers-beat-him) somebody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfRUAzc2Eg) up? (http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Complaints-against-HPD-officers-often-stick-1688808.php) That's (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7951652) unpossible! (http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/I-was-ambushed-says-woman-suing-HPD-over-force-1691904.php)

CloakNNNdagger
07-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Peterson says "I am 200% innocent." I suppose that gives him 100% wiggle room........
USA TODAY (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/story/2012-07-13/Adrian-Peterson-200-percent-innocent-court-date/56194884/1)

BullBlitz
07-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Making the lives of a few cops miserable? Really? How?

thunderkyss
07-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Making the lives of a few cops miserable? Really? How?

Duh, making them do an honest days work.

:kitten:

BullBlitz
07-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Duh, making them do an honest days work.

:kitten:

If it makes them miserable to an honest day's work then they should do something else for a living.

CloakNNNdagger
07-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Vikings hire self-described “scumbag” to talk to their rookies (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/14/vikings-hire-self-described-scumbag-to-talk-to-their-rookies/)
July 14, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT

The Minnesota Vikings have hired a colorful character to talk to their rookies about the importance of staying out of the wrong places at the wrong times.

That character is Sean Bishop, a convicted felon who works in the strip club business and was brought to Minnesota to tell the Vikings’ rookies that if they’re smart, they’ll stay away from characters like him and establishments like his, because strip clubs are a great place to blow your money and find yourself in legal trouble.

“I tell them I am a scumbag club owner who will use and abuse you,” Bishop told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “I just don’t want to see any of them ruin their lives. They need to be protected from themselves.”

So where did the Vikings find this scumbag? It turns out that Vikings executive director of player development Les Pico was Bishop’s football coach at Washburn University in the 1990s. And Pico thought Bishop’s life story would provide something of a “scared straight” vibe if he spoke to the team.

“He’s not a choirboy by any means,” Pico said of Bishop. “I can’t legislate morality. Sean’s a guy who isn’t afraid to talk negatively about the business he’s in. Our owners give us great latitude allowing us to run these programs and put a convicted felon on a plane to come here and talk to our rookies about why they shouldn’t be in strip clubs.”

Bishop says NFL players are often treated like royalty at strip clubs because they have plenty of cash to throw around, but eventually things go wrong.

“These guys get comfortable in the VIP section and think they’re not being seen and forget where they’re at,” he said. “Being a competitive athlete, it’s hard for them to turn the other cheek or swallow their pride and walk away from bad situations. Instead, they make a scene and forget where they’re at because the owner’s treating them like a king, they’re young and think they’re invincible when all it takes is one snapshot and you’re done.”

So the moral of the story is, don’t go to strip clubs. Spoken from a man in the strip club business.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2012/0713/20120713__Sean%20Bishop_400.jpg

He delivered his talk to the Vikings rookies during the Vikings Rookie Symposia in the spring of 2009 and 2010. You might also want to read this article about the man.

Vikings warned: 'I am a scumbag (strip) club owner who will use and abuse you' (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21069483/vikings-warned-i-am-scumbag-strip-club-owner?source=rss)

GP
07-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Every thread involving whites vs. whatever always devolves into a racial debate.

Every. Single. Time.

I think I'm hitting the eject button on this thread. It's usefulness has expired.

2012Champs
07-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Every thread involving whites vs. whatever always devolves into a racial debate.

Every. Single. Time.

I think I'm hitting the eject button on this thread. It's usefulness has expired.

You were the one bringing race into the equation in a discussion of civil rights. What a chicken **** exit from a thread using race as the reason when you were the cause

powda
07-16-2012, 09:08 AM
I wonder how many people will base their opinions of ap's innocence off a verdict? I would hope most people realize the legal council here involves "random 2 bit prosecutor" vs. one of the best in the nation. For me the verdict will have as much credibility as the oj scam. My judgements regarding this episode will be based off the facts revealled and nothing more...(assuming more is ever revealled.)

GP
07-16-2012, 10:43 AM

You were the one bringing race into the equation in a discussion of civil rights. What a chicken **** exit from a thread using race as the reason when you were the cause

Awww, how cute....2012Champs doesn't know how to look at post count before making an accusation!

To be HONEST, since that seems to be your problem with me (your assertion that I'm being dishonest) steelbtexan mentioned race and then I responded to it.

I never mentioned race ONE SINGLE TIME, nor even hinted at it, prior to steelbtexan's post (at the top). If you don't believe me, start at the beginning of this thread and read every post I made. You''l find that your accusation is the lie, pal.

I'll receive an apology from you, if you can muster one up. And while you're at it, why don't you go quote steelbtexan and then call HIM a chicken****?

2012Champs
07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Awww, how cute....2012Champs doesn't know how to look at post count before making an accusation!

To be HONEST, since that seems to be your problem with me (your assertion that I'm being dishonest) steelbtexan mentioned race and then I responded to it.

I never mentioned race ONE SINGLE TIME, nor even hinted at it, prior to steelbtexan's post (at the top). If you don't believe me, start at the beginning of this thread and read every post I made. You''l find that your accusation is the lie, pal.

I'll receive an apology from you, if you can muster one up. And while you're at it, why don't you go quote steelbtexan and then call HIM a chicken****?

How cute you had to go back 30 post and activity from 3 days prior to tie back into steel mentioning a black person to somehow tie into your post. However it seems you are the one with the reading problem. I stated you were the one who brought race into a civil rights discussion which is exactly what you did and then you turn around a decide to leave using race as the reason. I dont need to quote steel and call it chicken **** to leave a thread because he isnt leaving for the reason that he brought up race. You leaving based on race seems to be because you cant remove it from your own personal thought process.

I will receive an apology for your inability to read if you can muster one up

CloakNNNdagger
07-16-2012, 03:38 PM
And what year was the last time that Hardin took up a misdemeanor case?..........................

http://carynschulenberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Great-Grandpa-Cornelius-George-Byer-Great-Uncle-Ted-Byer-Grandpa-George-Floyd-Byer-Edsel-Delaney-Chance-Delaney.jpg

2012Champs
07-16-2012, 03:43 PM
And what year was the last time that Hardin took up a misdemeanor case?..........................

http://carynschulenberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Great-Grandpa-Cornelius-George-Byer-Great-Uncle-Ted-Byer-Grandpa-George-Floyd-Byer-Edsel-Delaney-Chance-Delaney.jpg

Its an area of law listed on their site as an area of practice. My assumption would be that Rusty would take as many of the cases that people paid him to take. Getting his face on tv certainly is a bonus though. A quick google search showed Rusty checking in at 850.00 a hour although Im not sure if its accurate

infantrycak
07-16-2012, 03:55 PM
I wonder how many people will base their opinions of ap's innocence off a verdict? I would hope most people realize the legal council here involves "random 2 bit prosecutor" vs. one of the best in the nation. For me the verdict will have as much credibility as the oj scam. My judgements regarding this episode will be based off the facts revealled and nothing more...(assuming more is ever revealled.)

The DA's office almost certainly does not have anyone as good as Rusty but rest assured if they decide to prosecute this case it will not be randomly assigned.

When was the last time someone was willing and able to pay $200k to defend a misdemeanor? AP probably has $50k in already.

CloakNNNdagger
07-16-2012, 04:01 PM
The DA's office almost certainly does not have anyone as good as Rusty but rest assured if they decide to prosecute this case it will not be randomly assigned.

When was the last time someone was willing and able to pay $200k to defend a misdemeanor? AP probably has $50k in already.

That's what I was getting at.

StarStruck
07-16-2012, 06:31 PM

I don't know what actually happened in this situation, so I will leave it at that. "If" I was arrested for the same accusation and was innocent, I would have to pay the fine because I am too broke to do otherwise. However, if I had A.D. kind of cash or a good portion, I question how much would I be willing to pay to defend myself if innocent.

disaacks3
07-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't know what actually happened in this situation, so I will leave it at that. "If" I was arrested for the same accusation and was innocent, I would have to pay the fine because I am too broke to do otherwise. However, if I had A.D. kind of cash or a good portion, I question how much would I be willing to pay to defend myself if innocent. Many of us, if we had his kind of $$$, would pay to have ourselves defended by the best no matter if we were innocent or not.

powda
07-16-2012, 06:58 PM
The DA's office almost certainly does not have anyone as good as Rusty

You and I know they dont. Houston can deliberately send their best prosecutor and without unquestionable evidence like surveillance video the prosecution will look like amateur hour. Especially if ap is the kind of guy who has a dozen "hangers on" who serve as witnesses.

$850 an hour? Thought it would be much more.

infantrycak
07-16-2012, 07:07 PM
You and I know they dont. Houston can deliberately send their best prosecutor and without unquestionable evidence like surveillance video the prosecution will look like amateur hour. Especially if ap is the kind of guy who has a dozen "hangers on" who serve as witnesses.

Just going to point out Hardin spent 15 years with the Houston DA's office in which time he never lost a felony jury trial including something like 15-20 death penalty cases. Many, actually most, of the best defense attorneys start out as DA's.

powda
07-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Just going to point out Hardin spent 15 years with the Houston DA's office in which time he never lost a felony jury trial including something like 15-20 death penalty cases. Many, actually most, of the best defense attorneys start out as DA's.

Thats a good point and history I didnt know about Hardin. Theres still not going to be a comparison, especially if it dissolves into a he said she said argument. Think the arresting officer is going to get torched on the stand regardless of right or wrong.

CloakNNNdagger
07-16-2012, 09:45 PM
The StarTribune is already saying that AP could be opening TC on the PUP.........

StarStruck
07-16-2012, 11:46 PM
The StarTribune is already saying that AP could be opening TC on the PUP.........

Does PUP mean temporary or for the season? He had said that goal was to play the season opener. I was feeling quite comfortable in selling my Cowboys vs. Saints tickets for a profit which was the only game that I had a conflict.

CloakNNNdagger
07-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Does PUP mean temporary or for the season? He had said that goal was to play the season opener. I was feeling quite comfortable in selling my Cowboys vs. Saints tickets for a profit which was the only game that I had a conflict.

If Peterson is put on the PUP list during training camp (as may happen), he can be removed from that list anytime before the start of the regular season. But if he starts the season on the PUP list, he can't practice or play for at least six weeks. He can then begin practicing after six weeks, and the Ravens have three weeks from the time the he starts practicing to add him to the active roster. If he doesn't practice within that three week window, he has to be left on the PUP list the entire 2012 season.

infantrycak
07-17-2012, 12:44 AM
He can then begin practicing after six weeks, and the Ravens have three weeks from the time the he starts practicing to add him to the active roster. If he doesn't practice within that three week window, he has to be left on the PUP list the entire 2012 season.

Not sure if the rules changed under the new CBA but it used to be the player can begin practicing between weeks 6 and 8 and then has two weeks to practice at which time he has to go on the roster or IR.

StarStruck
07-17-2012, 01:12 AM
If Peterson is put on the PUP list during training camp (as may happen), he can be removed from that list anytime before the start of the regular season. But if he starts the season on the PUP list, he can't practice or play for at least six weeks. He can then begin practicing after six weeks, and the Ravens Vikings have three weeks from the time the he starts practicing to add him to the active roster. If he doesn't practice within that three week window, he has to be left on the PUP list the entire 2012 season.

Thanks.

CloakNNNdagger
07-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks.

My bad.......have Ravens on the mind!

GP
07-20-2012, 05:32 PM
How cute you had to go back 30 post and activity from 3 days prior to tie back into steel mentioning a black person to somehow tie into your post. However it seems you are the one with the reading problem. I stated you were the one who brought race into a civil rights discussion which is exactly what you did and then you turn around a decide to leave using race as the reason. I dont need to quote steel and call it chicken **** to leave a thread because he isnt leaving for the reason that he brought up race. You leaving based on race seems to be because you cant remove it from your own personal thought process.

I will receive an apology for your inability to read if you can muster one up

You are wrong...again.

Thunderkyss made a comment about how "...Makes note that GP never grew up during the civil rights era."

So actually, TK started it and I responded to it.

GP
07-20-2012, 05:40 PM
To 2012Champs:

Here it is in order, in case you want to stick to the facts.

Post #131 was me saying this

Post #137 was Thunderkyss saying this:

Post #138 was me responding to a race baiting post by Thunderkyss:

That's pretty sad.

2012Champs:

Rather than talk massive trash talk, I'll let the evidence speak for itself here.

Look, I said NFL superstar. That does not equate to me saying "black guy" if that's where you're trying to take this.

Drew Brees is an NFL superstar too, and he's white. So the thing I have is against ANY person who is a superstar and thinks their stardom and their fame and their money means they can get away with blatant abuse of the judicial system. For the life of me, I don't know why you chose to equate me with being a racist, but the posts made by me and others do not prove your theory.

You've been genuinely hateful to me, and I resent it 100%. You need to stop.

thunderkyss
07-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Yup GP, you showed him. You go girl.

I do, however, understand why you made the connection between "civil rights" & race. Mostly, I think, due to your hang up on race. But when you see the words "civil rights" & "civil liberties" it does not necessarily have anything to do with race.

I yahooed (http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=he+violated+his+civil+rights&fr=sfp&fr2=&type=__alt__ddc_linuxmint_com&hspart=ddc&hsimp=yhs-linuxmint&iscqry=) "civil rights" & found several examples where race isn't an issue.

Here's one (http://www.officer.com/news/10738456/man-claims-pa-troopers-violated-his-civil-rights)
The appeals court reversed Superior Court Judge Evan H.C. Crook, who last year dismissed Greenberg's complaint against the state police; the trooper; the sergeant; Oil Station Inc., a Hainesport oil and lube service shop; and Peter Moran Jr., its owner. Greenberg is seeking unspecified damages and also claiming civil rights violations.
Here's another (http://www.redding.com/news/2012/jul/16/trinity-county-deputy-claims-sheriff-violated/)
Trinity County deputy claims sheriff violated his free speech rights
Punishment violated civil rights, he says
& another (http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/244923-man-claims-freeport-police-violated-his-civil-rights)
According to court papers filed June 14 in the Houston Division of the Southern District of Texas, the plaintiff did not resist authorities though officer Chris Bryant allegedly physically assaulted and Tasered him.

The suit adds Rollerson was not read his Miranda rights nor fully advised of the reason for his arrest prior to being transported to the Freeport Police Department headquarters.

The plaintiff says he sustained cuts to the back of his neck as well as a severe headache and chest pains "that radiated to his back" as a result of the incident in question.

He asserts his constitutional rights were violated.

I yahooed (http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights.html) "Bill of Rights" & found this gem

Fresh in their minds was the memory of the British violation of civil rights before and during the Revolution. They demanded a "bill of rights" that would spell out the immunities of individual citizens.

With that, I hope you understand how inaccurate your statement
Post #138 was me responding to a race baiting post by Thunderkyss:

is.

infantrycak
07-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Rather than talk massive trash talk, I'll let the evidence speak for itself here.

The evidence does speak for itself. You took civil rights to be synonymous with race and it isn't.

GP
07-20-2012, 08:23 PM
You said civil rights. That's black history.

You also are trying to switch words and act like you meant something else.

I don't have a hang up on race. You and TexansChamps2012 and Steelbtexan brought it up. I didn't. See the difference? No, you probably can't.

What you meant to say doesn't matter. What you said is what counts. You tried to finger me for a race crime, then you're trying to cover your tracks by saying you meant bill of rights. That's horsecrap and it's patently obvious.

It's all there for all to see. This board needs to call down those who accuse others of being racist. And this episode is a prime example of why. I should t have to over explain it and show all the posts in order to refute YOUR claim and the other guy's claim. Three people made this about race, none of those three people are named GP.

infantrycak
07-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Yeah because civil rights only apply to blacks.

Civil and political rights are a class of rights that protect individuals' freedom from unwarranted infringement by governments and private organizations, and ensure one's ability to participate in the civil and political life of the state without discrimination or repression.

Civil rights include the ensuring of peoples' physical and mental integrity, life and safety; protection from discrimination on grounds such as physical or mental disability, gender, religion, race, national origin, age, status as a member of the uniformed services, sexual orientation, or gender identity and individual rights such as privacy, the freedoms of thought and conscience, speech and expression, religion, the press, and movement.

2012Champs
07-20-2012, 09:14 PM

You also are trying to switch words and act like you meant something else.

I don't have a hang up on race. You and TexansChamps2012 and Steelbtexan brought it up. I didn't. See the difference? No, you probably can't.

What you meant to say doesn't matter. What you said is what counts. You tried to finger me for a race crime, then you're trying to cover your tracks by saying you meant bill of rights. That's horsecrap and it's patently obvious.

It's all there for all to see. This board needs to call down those who accuse others of being racist. And this episode is a prime example of why. I should t have to over explain it and show all the posts in order to refute YOUR claim and the other guy's claim. Three people made this about race, none of those three people are named GP.

I've come to the conclusion that you're nuts. When someone mentioned civil rights you took it as a race issue. Are you racist? I have no idea nor do I really care. Pointing out to you that civil rights arent just about blacks should be something a normal person could process without getting as defensive as you have

disaacks3
07-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Wow, defending GP, what'll happen next...

The "Civil Rights Era" (TK did say ERA) in the U.S. indeed WAS mostly about African-Americans. Google US civil rights era and tell me what shows up on your screen, I know what came up on mine.

African-American Civil Rights Movement (1955–1968) - Wikipedia ...
en.wikipedia.org/.../African-American_Civil_Rights_Movement_...
Atlantic slave trade · Maafa · Slavery in the United States · Military history of African Americans · Jim Crow laws · Redlining · Great Migration · Civil Rights ...

Background - Mass action replacing litigation - Key events - Other issues

Civil rights movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_rights_movement
Jump to Civil rights movement in the United States‎: Main articles: African-American Civil Rights Movement (1896–1954), African-American Civil ...

African-American Civil Rights ... - Timeline - Category:Civil rights movement

Civil Rights Movement Timeline (14th Amendment, 1964 Act ...
www.infoplease.com/spot/civilrightstimeline1.html/

Milestones in the modern civil rights movement since 1954. ... black nationalist and founder of the Organization of Afro-American Unity, is shot to death. Followed by pictures of "racial unrest".

So yes, TK "started it" and GP took it considerably farther than it needed to go, but...his "assumption" is pretty darn logical.

I'm not picking a side, simply stating that jumping from Civil Rights Era to race-baiting isn't that big a leap.

thunderkyss
07-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Wow, defending GP, what'll happen next...

The "Civil Rights Era" (TK did say ERA) in the U.S. indeed WAS mostly about African-Americans. Google US civil rights era and tell me what shows up on your screen, I know what came up on mine.

I admit I said Civil Rights era..... I said so a while back.

Well, I was actually thinking Bill of Rights, but that was too long ago. I was speaking more to personal liberties.

But I see what you're saying.

So yes, TK "started it" and GP took it considerably farther than it needed to go, but...his "assumption" is pretty darn logical.

I'm not picking a side, simply stating that jumping from Civil Rights Era to race-baiting isn't that big a leap.

I don't know if it's darn logical. Not a big leap, I can agree with.

But this conversation had nothing to do with race prior to GP getting bent out of shape about race. In the context of the conversation, I think "personal liberties" civil rights as it applies to all of us is more appropriate. We have a case where a man is in custody for resisting arrest, but we don't know the original charge.

They've got to attempt to arrest him for something (& we want to know what that something is) before he can resist.

Civil liberties as defined by the bill of rights says a man should be informed of the charges against him.

Just because they wear uniforms don't mean they can tell you what to do. Which is what I believe GP was alluding to. A cop has no right to lay a hand on you if you're not breaking the law. Don't let them tell you different.

infantrycak
07-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Well I will volley back to you. The biggest issue of the era was certainly race but there is a huge leap between referring to the era and race-baiting even if that is the case. Factually the era dealt with race, sexual liberation, women's' rights. privacy, search and seizure, freedom of speech, right to defense counsel, etc. Roe and Miranda are household names which come from that era. We're fighting more over Roe now than we are Brown v. Bd. of Education.

Seeing civil rights and racial issues is no stretch. Turning it into race baiting and jumping into the deep end of the martyr pool like GP did was definitely a stretch especially after it was explained.

Wolf
11-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Charges dropped
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/charge-dropped-against-rb-peterson-203250690--nfl.html

eriadoc
11-13-2012, 11:20 PM
From the article:

Hollingsworth said Peterson testified before the grand jury on Tuesday and found no probable cause for prosecutors to continue.

''It's what should've happened from the get-go,'' Hollingsworth said. ''I'm glad it happened now.''

Peterson, a native of Palestine, Texas, was handcuffed and briefly jailed after the confrontation outside the club with an off-duty police officer. He was released on a $1,000 bond.

Police said Peterson shoved the officer, who was working security and asked Peterson and his companions to leave the club, which was closed. Peterson said in court a week after the incident that he ''didn't push, shove, touch anything to anyone that night, especially an officer.''

eriadoc
11-13-2012, 11:24 PM

Yes, I do.

2012Champs
11-14-2012, 09:35 AM
nice

steelbtexan
11-14-2012, 10:27 AM
The bad thing is even though AD was proven innocent, there's no telling how much $$$$ it cost him in lawyer fees, all because of a hot headed cop and the DA's office teming up in a form of colusion.

The $$$$ doesn't matter to Peterson. But they sure do when this happens to the common man and yes this kind of stuff happens all of the time to the common man. It's happened to me. Cost me $5,000 to prove my innocence and people wonder why there's no trust of the judicial system in this country.

There would be alot less charges brought if the losing side had to pay attorney fees and that would put a stop to most of this BS.

BTW, Rusty Hardin is a bada** in the court room. A modern day Racehorse Haynes.

GP
11-14-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm trying to figure out if this was dropped because it was bogus 100% or just nifty maneuvering by a great lawyer.

Sorry, I just won't accept the idea that Adrian Peterson did nothing to warrant the situation. We're living in an age where everybody practically gets a sympathy vote on everything, i.e. reelection of a really, REALLY bad President.

And this, for me, is not black/white race issue. I think this is more to do with his celebrity status. If Justin Bieber had been in those shoes, I'd be just as slow to believe Bieber's side of the story, too. You generally don't get much attention in a bar at 2 a.m., from the cops, unless you're asking for it. /GP'sDiscussion.

steelbtexan
11-14-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm trying to figure out if this was dropped because it was bogus 100% or just nifty maneuvering by a great lawyer.

Sorry, I just won't accept the idea that Adrian Peterson did nothing to warrant the situation. We're living in an age where everybody practically gets a sympathy vote on everything, i.e. reelection of a really, REALLY bad President.

And this, for me, is not black/white race issue. I think this is more to do with his celebrity status. If Justin Bieber had been in those shoes, I'd be just as slow to believe Bieber's side of the story, too. You generally don't get much attention in a bar at 2 a.m., from the cops, unless you're asking for it. /GP'sDiscussion.

Or it could be that he was innocent of charges that never should have been brought against him in the 1st place.

TexansJohn
11-18-2012, 11:47 AM

I used to think the way you did until it happened to me. Our crime? We were driving in the aftermath of Rita in a banged up car and were stopped. My buddy, who was driving, had a conceal-carry license.

Though we did not get arrested (as we did NOTHING worng), the cops put us in the back of their vehicle while they completely searched his car....and stole his $400 "hurricane" cash!!!

Yes, I too was one that used to always believe a policeman's testimony in the court was always true and that the defendant was lying. I no longer believe that after my experience. Not that I think that ALL policemen are bad, but I do know that some police officers collude with one another and are corrupt.

In this instance, I have to give the benefit of the doubt to AP.

StarStruck
11-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm happy to read that AD's foundation is making the holiday a happy event for a few more families.

http://palestineherald.com/local/x1951898388/Peterson-s-all-day-Foundation-helps-feed-East-Texans/print

drs23
11-19-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm happy to read that AD's foundation is making the holiday a happy event for a few more families.

http://palestineherald.com/local/x1951898388/Peterson-s-all-day-Foundation-helps-feed-East-Texans/print

Thanks for posting that SS. Good on AP. That was a good "Feel Good" story.

REP to you.