PDA

View Full Version : Arian Foster going vegan.

The Medic01
07-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Just in from his twitter. Im not sure if this will hurt his performance.

Doc?

burro
07-06-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm not a doctor, but I sincerely hope that he finds an alternative source for all of the essential nutrients that he could lose; losing Foster to something like malnutrition would be facepalm worthy.

NCTexan
07-06-2012, 05:22 PM
There's a guy riding in the Tour de France who is vegan. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Ryan
07-06-2012, 05:27 PM
He's a professional and I'm positive he'll get it figured out. This is an extreme non-issue if you ask me.

Dutchrudder
07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
So does this mean I shouldn't draft him for my fantasy team????

:kitten:

Ryan
07-06-2012, 05:33 PM
So does this mean I shouldn't draft him for my fantasy team????

Definitely not with the 1st pick. According to the NFL players, he's only the 5th best running back in the league. :kitten: :brando:

Double Barrel
07-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Tony Horton of P90X fame has been vegan for years. There are many sources of protein and nutrients that are not animal in origin.

V3rm0nt3r
07-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Tony Horton of P90X fame has been vegan for years. There are many sources of protein and nutrients that are not animal in origin.

There are.

They just aren't as good.

ArlingtonTexan
07-06-2012, 06:02 PM

I have a vegen friend who is 6'3-4 225..mid thirties all muscle. Eats the 6 "small" meals with plenty of nuts and beans for protein. does take suppliments, but again all natural and nothing that should illegal under NFL policy.

also, with ~2000 NFL players there are other vegan/vegetarians in the league.

TimeKiller
07-06-2012, 06:19 PM
My guess is if he's going vegan he's probably ate less animal than you might think to begin with.

Double Barrel
07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
There are.

Yes and no.

Yes, not as good for the tongue. I love me some steak!

And no, because animal protein can be brutal on the digestive tract.

I have a vegen friend who is 6'3-4 225..mid thirties all muscle. Eats the 6 "small" meals with plenty of nuts and beans for protein. does take suppliments, but again all natural and nothing that should illegal under NFL policy.

I'd imagine there are quite a few who are vegetarian (i.e. do not eat animal protein but are not full on vegan lifestyle).

I've had digestive system issues for years, and animal protein (especially beef) is not the easiest thing for our body to digest. Add to this the amount of red meat that Americans eat, and there is no wonder why so many folks suffer from heart disease, cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.

I think Foster will be fine. He's got the best nutritionists at his disposal and lots of money to live that kind of lifestyle. And with his life philosophy, this vegan switch does not surprise me at all.

Thorn
07-06-2012, 06:36 PM
That's just frigging great. Arian is tuning into a hippie. I hope he doesn't try to stuff the football in his bong and smoke it instead of running with it.

ckhouston
07-06-2012, 06:37 PM
There are.

BS, vegan is better for you all the way around.

Im not, I like to burn cow, but he will be fine.

ckhouston
07-06-2012, 06:38 PM
That's just frigging great. Arian is tuning into a hippie. I hope he doesn't try to stuff the football in his bong and smoke it instead of running with it.

Have you tried to fit a football in your bong?

Stemp
07-06-2012, 06:40 PM

Turning into? Seriously? Haven you been following the guy the past couple years? He's been hippie from the start.

IF someone is vegan and does it the correct way, then there should be no problem with it. You certainly can get everything you need from non-animal sources.

I couldn't do it. Never in a million years. I love beef and chicken and pork way too much to give it up.

gtexan02
07-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm not vegan, and I can't play football professionally. Therefore, this must be a good move

Thorn
07-06-2012, 06:44 PM
IF someone is vegan and does it the correct way, then there should be no problem with it. You certainly can get everything you need from non-animal sources.

I realize that. It was a joke. Guess I should have included the proper smilie.

I wish Arian the best of luck. We need him.

ChampionTexan
07-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Prince Fielder became a vegetarian (admittedly somewhat different than Vegan) before the 2008 season. Since then his career has flourished to the point he received a contract in excess of $200 Million this past off-season from the Detroit Tigers.

Of course his secret to being a successful vegetarian may have been not actually being a vegetarian, as he quit 3 months later (he just didn't tell anyone about it for four years).

SheTexan
07-06-2012, 06:51 PM

:spit:

Pollardized
07-06-2012, 06:56 PM

No Thorn, he went to Tennessee. Not the hippie loving, orange wearing, pot head school in Austin. You must be thinking about Ricky Williams!

Texan_Bill
07-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all. He always tweets about eating healthy.

JB
07-06-2012, 07:42 PM
It must be the off-season

Allstar
07-06-2012, 07:44 PM
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/16900000/Todd-Ingram-scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-16936100-640-352.jpg

Brisco_County
07-06-2012, 08:05 PM
If anything, it might help. He had to work to shed some body fat a couple of years ago.

I actually like a lot of hippie food, and I'm very much not a hippie.

drs23
07-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Dayum, this is making me hungry. I'm leaving the shop right now headed for Texas Roadhouse. I'm going to start with veggies, smothered in cheese, sour cream, (ug-oh) real bacon bits followed by a Porterhouse, medium. Ummm. GOTTA RUN!

Hagar
07-06-2012, 08:15 PM

As long as he performs well ~ especially at the end of games and late in the season, I could care less.

I would be curious to know who else is vegan in the league. See if they are any good.

Texan_Bill
07-06-2012, 08:21 PM
It must be the off-season

OH!! Do you think so Doctor?? :D

Texan_Bill
07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Dayum, this is making me hungry. I'm leaving the shop right now headed for Texas Roadhouse. I'm going to start with veggies, smothered in cheese, sour cream, (ug-oh) real bacon bits followed by a Porterhouse, medium. Ummm. GOTTA RUN!

For desert order the Ribeye Combo... Ribeye coupled (or would it be tripled?) with Ribs and Shrimp and 2 sides!!

imatexan
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Good for him, it is a harder diet to keep your body nourished but if done properly it has been proven over and over it is healthier for your body.

I am too addicted to meat/animal products to go Vegan but go Arian and make sure you do it right!

Big Lou
07-06-2012, 08:49 PM

Yeh, but they sure don't taste near as good!!!

PETA:
People Eating Tasty Animals

Texan_Bill
07-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Yeh, but they sure don't taste near as good!!!

PETA:
People Eating Tasty Animals

Seconded and repped!!! :texanbill:

That said, I eat a lot healthier than I used to, but I'm not askeered to mix in a big-a$$ steak or a cheeseburger once in awhile.

Thorn
07-06-2012, 09:04 PM
http://thatghoulava.horror-extreme.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bacon.jpg

gg no re
07-06-2012, 11:22 PM

viewing this through http://bacolicio.us/

arteries tightened a bit

Playoffs
07-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Just in from his twitter. Im not sure if this will hurt his performance.

Doc?
I believe a certain TT Dr. is a vegan. Investigating it myself.

infantrycak
07-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I believe a certain TT Dr. is a vegan. Investigating it myself.

If you are talking about CnD he is no vegan.

badboy
07-07-2012, 12:06 AM
WOnder what his mom thinks? If I remember correctly, TEXMEX MOM is a good cook. Maybe not beef though. I really enjoy her comments in TT.

2slik4u
07-07-2012, 12:18 AM
I can't believe this is a topic of discussion.

The Pencil Neck
07-07-2012, 12:21 AM
My old drummer's vegan. He used to be a powerlifter/bodybuilder. When he switched to Veganism, he lost some size and strength. He's still a big, strong guy but not as big or strong as he was or could have been if he'd stuck with meat.

It's a tough approach. You've got to really work to get everything you need. No milk, no honey, no processed flours or sugars -- you've got to get as many different sources of protein as you can during the day (although you don't have to go as far as the old Protein Combining theories used to say you do.)

Supplementing with creatine helps a lot for Vegans.

But... a hardcore Vegan shouldn't really be playing football because the football itself is made with leather, right? That's a no-no.

ChampionTexan
07-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Tony Gonzalez if mostly vegan (Yeah - I know, but that's kind of explained in the quote below). Even wrote a book about it.
http://res.mindbodygreen.com/img/ftr/Book-cover-all-pro-diet.jpg

Asked about what it was like to start, here's what he had to say:
Going 100% vegan is hard…. What was the hardest/easiest thing for you once you went for it?

I’m one of those people, if I decide to do something, I do it, so it was pretty easy for me to get started. I felt so great, I had so much energy, I felt like my body went through almost a detox stage.

It was difficult from the standpoint of losing weight and losing strength. Football is my livelihood and maintaining weight is important, so that was pretty scary. Once I started to really educate myself about eating a more plant-based diet, but incorporating some clean meat into it – some wild fish, free-range chicken, grass-fed beef (I rarely eat beef, if at all) – I was able to get back that strength.
LINK (http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-1304/Q-A-with-Tony-Gonzalez-AllPro-Football-Player-on-PlantBased-Diet-Slow-Food-More.html)

It would be interesting to know if Arian is doing it for health reasons, ethical reasons, or a combination of both.

Beer and Metal
07-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Well, I think that's wonderful. I've tried some vegan recipes, and while I've always gone back to meat, there's some good ones out there.

There are some chefs that aren't well known, and may be somewhat unconventional, but I tried this guy's vegan Pad Thai recipe and it came out well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg&feature=context-cha

I haven't tried the following recipes, but I plan to in the future. I'm all about variety. You may laugh at his delivery, but the instructions are sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2my_diH6A&feature=plcp

Arian! Enjoy!

gg no re
07-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Well, I think that's wonderful. I've tried some vegan recipes, and while I've always gone back to meat, there's some good ones out there.

There are some chefs that aren't well known, and may be somewhat unconventional, but I tried this guy's vegan Pad Thai recipe and it came out well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg&feature=context-cha

I haven't tried the following recipes, but I plan to in the future. I'm all about variety. You may laugh at his delivery, but the instructions are sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2my_diH6A&feature=plcp

Arian! Enjoy!It blows my mind that vegan black metal chef was the first thing that came to my head before clicking your link.

Beer and Metal
07-07-2012, 03:02 AM
It blows my mind that vegan black metal chef was the first thing that came to my head before clicking your link.

The man's gonna be famous soon! I just know it! LOL!

CloakNNNdagger
07-07-2012, 03:27 AM
If you are talking about CnD he is no vegan.

If you're talking about seeing me eat chicken fingers at Bubba's or at Reliant on those isolated Sundays (and a handful of other days of the year), I guess I cannot call myself a strict vegan. However, outside of those occasions, for the past 6 years, I follow a very defined vegan diet. Indeed, you can gain all nutritional goals, with only one or two exceptions. B12 supplements must be taken as this vitamin is only attainable through animal sources. The other supplement that is usually necessary is iron. Iron from plant sources are extremely poorly absorbed. Contrary to what you may have heard, you would have to probably eat a bushel of high iron content spinach (or kale) to absorb enough iron to even get close to the daily requirement. I have guided many patients and friends toward a vegan oriented diet (including numerous athletes and bodybuilders) and it has only served to improve their health, state of alertness, performance and quality of life in general. And it's amazing how tasty vegan meals can be prepared. Once you go vegan (or mostly vegan), you will find that meats (especially red meats) tend to leave you with significant upset GI effects as well a state of not feeling so well, even sluggish, tired and sleepy. A vegan oriented diet can help reverse many health problems, including weight, blood pressure and insulin resistance/diabetes. And for all you pathologic personalities out there, many mood disorders are stabilized by a balanced vegan diet. :)

infantrycak
07-07-2012, 03:49 AM
If you're talking about seeing me eat chicken fingers at Bubba's or at Reliant on those isolated Sundays (and a handful of other days of the year), I guess I cannot call myself a strict vegan.

I know. I was teasing you because I know your one meat weakness is my last one - Aramark chicken tenders.

By the way, I haven't had meat in several months. Certainly not vegan because I drink milk like it is going out of style. No philosophical thing. I'd still shoot (with an arrow) bambi tomorrow.

CloakNNNdagger
07-07-2012, 04:02 AM
I know. I was teasing you because I know your one meat weakness is my last one - Aramark chicken tenders.

By the way, I haven't had meat in several months. Certainly not vegan because I drink milk like it is going out of style. No philosophical thing. I'd still shoot (with an arrow) bambi tomorrow.

My deep secret is now out there. From now on, everytime I look at a chicken tender, I will be eaten up with guilt............except on game day!:chef:

ObsiWan
07-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Proud to say that I live in the good ole U.S. of B.
http://f.chtah.com/i/7/1158312198/D-121728-USOB-Eblast-Release_01.jpg

TheMatrix31
07-07-2012, 07:44 AM
If it's for health, whatever.

If it's for animal rights, nonsensical "moral" reasons, that's just ****ing stupid.

Dutchrudder
07-07-2012, 10:42 AM
http://i.imgur.com/chYGe.png

thunderkyss
07-07-2012, 11:02 AM
If you're talking about seeing me eat chicken fingers at Bubba's or at Reliant on those isolated Sundays (and a handful of other days of the year), I guess I cannot call myself a strict vegan.

I'm like you. Not a strict vegan, I only eat meat and other animal products on two occasions.

When I'm hungry & when I need a snack.

Pollardized
07-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Ok, so reading all this yesterday really got me thinking about my health, diet, etc. A few months ago I started taking V3 pills and I've trimmed down from a high of 235 lbs to 215 now. Was thinking maybe trying something like this vegan thing could be the next step.

We went to Texas Roadhouse last night and I tell wife and kids about my new diet venture. Wife informed me that all my picky eating a$$ likes is meat, mashed potatoes with lots of butter and milk, baked potatoes with lots of butter, ice cream, french fries, and other really good stuff like that. She says I can't have any of that on a vegan diet. Daughter says strict vegans don't use any products made from animal - leather shoes, belts, etc. Needless to say I was very disappointed.

So I ordered a sirloin and rib combo, with buttered corn and a baked potato. And I ate half of the onion blossom.

Then I went home and had a big bowl of Blue Bell.

So much for my vegan lifestyle.

CloakNNNdagger
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
There is great difference between following a vegan lifestyle and following a vegan diet. The vegan diet is based solely on health. The vegan lifestyle is also based on a type of ethics/mores. I follow a vegan diet (not lifestyle) and encourage patients, friends and others to least consider leaning their diets towards plant-oriented choices.

BTW, nowhere have I come across a source that has reported that Foster has taken on a vegan “lifestyle”......just a vegan diet. So he can continue to eat his greens, beans, potatoes and other vegetables, nuts, and fruits.............and still continue to walk on his steaks. :tiphat:

speedfreek
07-07-2012, 12:35 PM
#1 it will affect his performance (unless he is PED loading)

#2 it will affect his health (unless he cheats on the diet)

Humans were never designed to be vegans. That's why
we can digest bones and don't have four stomachs (or other
oddities) and such like true herbivores.

TJ

Marcus
07-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Arian Foster can do whatever the hell it makes him happy, but personally, I think this "vegan" stuff is baloney.

Sugar is toxic. As long as I keep that mind, I can eat whatever I want.

Jackie Chiles
07-07-2012, 02:04 PM

TJ

It won't affect his performance whatsoever but I agree with #2. He will now almost certainly live longer.

Brisco_County
07-07-2012, 02:46 PM
My deep secret is now out there. From now on, everytime I look at a chicken tender, I will be eaten up with guilt............except on game day!:chef:

Fighting the urge to cheat is a daily struggle for me. I am gluten free, and I work with people who bring kolaches and doughnuts to work every other day.

I gain the same benefits from being GF that many claim from a vegan diet. After my sister was diagnosed with celiac, I eliminated wheat/barley/rye from my diet as well. Soon after, many chronic symptoms I had for over 20 years were cleared up. My memory and alertness also improved.

But those kolaches... They are the sirens' call. Some days, you just have to cheat.

Imatexanfan
07-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Why would you want to go vegan in the 1st place after eating at Whataburger 1 time that would change you from vegan to a a vicious carnivore in a heartbeat! :boogereater:

Trap_Star
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
****ing hipster

Playoffs
07-07-2012, 04:37 PM
...Indeed, you can gain all nutritional goals, with only one or two exceptions. B12 supplements must be taken as this vitamin is only attainable through animal sources. The other supplement that is usually necessary is iron. Iron from plant sources are extremely poorly absorbed...Does a multi-vitamin with "400%" daily requirement of B12 cover it, or do you supplement even more?

...GI effects...Can vegan exacerbate IBS in those predisposed to it? All this fiber, lentil soup, raw oats is giving me some IBS symptoms. http://www.msn101.com/content/emoticons/burp_Y8CVF2.gif

CloakNNNdagger
07-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Does a multi-vitamin with "400%" daily requirement of B12 cover it, or do you supplement even more?

B12 in oral vitamin form isn't absorbed because it is destroyed by the acid in the stomach.

B12 in the past was always delivered by injections, not a very popular route. Sublinguals have become available, but many take forever to dissolve. The one quickest to dissolve, the one that I take daily is NO SHOT B12 (cyanocobalamin form) by World Organic 1000mcg instant dissolve micro tablets (available on the web and at Whole Foods).

Can vegan exacerbate IBS in those predisposed to it? All this fiber, lentil soup, raw oats is giving me some IBS symptoms. http://www.msn101.com/content/emoticons/burp_Y8CVF2.gif

First make sure that you have IBS and not coeliac disease, which can give similar symptoms. The latter is many time mistaken for the former. Try a glutein free diet for about a month and see if this helps. Wheat and Oats and some other grains are the major offenders. If you see a significant improvement, you have your answer.

If symptoms do not seem to have let up, then just like anyone with IBS, it is a matter of becoming your own detective and manipulating individual foods in and out of your plant diet to identify what particular food(s) are triggering your symptoms. (BTW oatmeal [as opposed to coeliac patients] is classically soothing to IBS patients)

Vinnie
07-07-2012, 06:05 PM
He's already so hippy, the "lifestyle" will soon be following the "diet". I quit following him when I saw the announcement in my timeline. I want to retain some respect for him while I still haven't seen a pro-PETA tweet.

Playoffs
07-07-2012, 07:31 PM
NO SHOT B12 (cyanocobalamin form) by World Organic 1000mcg instant dissolve micro tablets (available on the web and at Whole Foods).First make sure...
As always, MSR for your good help Doc.

I get more MSRs for you than anyone. :handshake:

badboy
07-07-2012, 10:57 PM

TJActually Genesis disagree with you.

Dutchrudder
07-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Actually Genesis disagree with you.

Just like dinosaurs, right?

Commodore
07-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Human beings lived almost entirely off animal products for 99% of our existence as a species.

To claim eating meat is unhealthy is to go against evolutionary history. If anything, it's grains and sugar we are not designed to eat.

But really, this and every other claim in this thread is hearsay. Clinical trials are all that matter.

ckhouston
07-08-2012, 10:06 AM
To claim eating meat is unhealthy is to go against evolutionary history.

So, once again it is proven to be a wise assertion.

CloakNNNdagger
07-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Human beings lived almost entirely off animal products for 99% of our existence as a species.

To claim eating meat is unhealthy is to go against evolutionary history. If anything, it's grains and sugar we are not designed to eat.

But really, this and every other claim in this thread is hearsay. Clinical trials are all that matter.

No problem with your reference to sugar and some grains.

But “heresy”? Your last statement is misinformed on so many levels, I do not have the time or patience to address it in all but short summary.

A diet high in animal protein is known to be harmful (many would say disastrous) to our health, while a plant-based (vegan) diet prevents disease and is restorative to our health. This is re-inforced with a myriad of peer-reviewed scientific medical studies/trials. Even the very conservative ADA (American Dietetic Association) released a Position Satement :

Vegetarian diets are often associated with a number of health advantages, including lower blood cholesterol levels, lower risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure levels, and lower risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes. Vegetarians tend to have a lower body mass index (BMI) and lower overall cancer rates. [Full Position Paper-http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-07/ada-aru070109.php]

No one is trying to force anyone into a specific type of diet.....just presenting such with well-known and scientifically established benefits.
I sincerely invite you or anyone else to enjoy your steaks, but please don’t make outlandish statements against those that have chosen, for whatever reasons, to incorporate some very simple, well-established healthful principles.

steelbtexan
07-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Even though I dont follow a vegan diet, it would be foolish to think that it isn't good for your health.

What your mother told you was true. Eat your veggies they're good for you.

speedfreek
07-08-2012, 12:39 PM
>A diet high in animal protein is known to be harmful (many would say disastrous) to our health

Most eroneous statement you could possibly make.

Too many people are reading animal rights propaganda sold as "vegan diet" books based on junk science, usually with biased chinese data (and the govt. of China strictly controls what is released to the public)

If you bother to take the time to study immunology, virology, paleo-biology and other sciences related to normal human development you would know this.

Anyone who argues that a plant only diet is the healthiest diet for humans simply does not have a broad enough understanding of human evolution, development from birth, and degenerative disease prevention throughout life.

This is not a medical forum, so I don't really have a desired to dump 7 years of my own personal research here. But anyone who is sold on the vegan lifestyle needs to do research outside the domain of simply "diet".

I would recommend that you study the case of the Inuit natives, and works
on areas like the Franchthi Cave etc.

TJ

Ryan
07-08-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm pretty sure CnD would indulge you in medical stuff if you want him to since he is a doctor. I would trust his word first.

I think it should be fairly common knowledge that an animal based diet, especially one with a lot of red meat is more detrimental than beneficial. Sure it has its benefits but those can all be supplemented elsewhere in today's world. I eat red meat very seldomly and when I do eat meat it's usually lean chicken or sometimes some fish(technically not meat to some).

ckhouston
07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
This is not a medical forum, so I don't really have a desired to dump 7 years of my own personal research here.

Oh, now I understand ... you're only 7.

ckhouston
07-08-2012, 03:16 PM
duplicate

speedfreek
07-08-2012, 06:58 PM
>I think it should be fairly common knowledge that an animal based diet, especially one with a lot of red meat is more detrimental than beneficial

The problem with this statement is the same problem that
gets propagated over and over again in junk science.

The studies that report that red meat is more detrimental than beneficial are studies that look at red meat in conjunction with typical eastern or western diet. That, by it's very nature, is selection bias that ruins the study.

There are plenty of humans living on the planet today that eat diets mostly composed of highly fatty (saturated) meats and very little of anything else -- and they are doing quite nicely.

Some tribes even smoke tobacco their entire lives and have no
increase in cancer or decrease in life span.

You cannot do a valid study on the american public and assume by changing one variable that you've accounted for all of the other possible combinations. This is the basis for weeding out junk science.

And by the way, just because someone is a physician doesn't mean they have total knowledge of what a healthy human diet is. In fact, there are many physicians who's entire degree was earned based on how well they could recite the PDR. (not a comment against this person specifically..)

This is how you get absurd statements like "eating cheerios prevents heart disease"

If anyone on here wants to debate the merits of an animal based diet versus a vegan diet I'd be happy to oblidge, but not in this forum. Just PM me.

I just wanted to add my two cents in that if Arian goes full vegan, he will most likely decrease his performance, have a more difficult time recovering from injury and run the risk of missing playing time due to a weaker immune system. (research the effects of increased blood glucose on the leukocyte index for example..)

This will be amplified if he resorts to aquiring his protein from sources like soy..

If his motivation was to avoid harming animals, he could become a lacto-ovo vegetarian and have less side effects -- although the dairy of other animals is not particularly healthy for humans either..

T

Texan_Bill
07-08-2012, 08:16 PM
****BALANCE****

Are we not omnivores??? Keep balance in your lives.. I'm not a huge veggie person but have learned or talked myself out of red meat several times a week and worked in many other healthy proteins (i.e. fish, pork, etc)...

I'm not a big fan of cooked veggies but work in a lot of raw veggies and some fruits. Unfortunately many fruits (while having healthty benefits) also contain a lot of sugar... So, be carefull!!

CloakNNNdagger
07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
As has been previously brought up, there is no argument that the avoidance of processed foods, sugar, and many grains (most of which, like Cherios are processed) with attention to low glycemic foods in order to better control blood sugar (applied also when choosing a plant-based intake) are all excellent points to keep in mind.

I never posted in this thread intending to defend the vegan diet or to entirely denegrate the intake of meat. The mounds of medical research re-inforcing the benefits of a plant-oriented diet cannot all be accounted for by politically-motivated sources, or driven by scientifically-ignorant, blinded nut cases. I would have to say that taking on what some would consider a “difficult” plant-oriented diet would be much more appealing and more likely to be followed than eating high Omega-3 raw or extremely lightly boiled seal and whale meat served with a side of raw whale blubber. Most of the world’s centenarians have been vegan, vegetarian or those choosing a minimalistic meat diet.

In closing, I will also leave my last thoughts on this subject. A person’s choice in this matter is not one set in stone. Nor is it for Arian. Arian should do well with a vegetable-based diet, even if he leaves an open door to adding high quality protein in the form of some fish or lean meat to his diet in the future. In the end, this will all be up to him, depending on how he perceives his level of stamina and performance.

It’s funny how we are the only animals on earth that don't know what the hell to eat. Are we vegans, carnivores or omnivores? All other animals know instinctively what to eat. We humans, though, are just plain dumb.

steelbtexan
07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
I would like to thank C-N-D for helping me understand the effets of my previous diet. Which consisted of alot of processed foods, high sugar and he taught me some great info about the glycemic index.

While I've fallen short of my goals of losing 40 Lbs in 60 days. I have lost 25 Lbs and feel much better than I used too. Thanks Doc.

With that said, C-N-D never told me to stop eating meat. (He was smart enough not tell me that I couldn't eat meat.) LOL He just told me that fish was the best meat to eat, follwed by chicken. Pork and beef were not off limits but moderation is the key to any diet.

Thanks Doc I appreciate it.

JB
07-08-2012, 09:23 PM
****BALANCE****

Are we not omnivores??? Keep balance in your lives.. I'm not a huge veggie person but have learned or talked myself out of red meat several times a week and worked in many other healthy proteins (i.e. fish, pork, etc)...

I'm not a big fan of cooked veggies but work in a lot of raw veggies and some fruits. Unfortunately many fruits (while having healthty benefits) also contain a lot of sugar... So, be carefull!!

yeah but you're a weirdo

ObsiWan
07-08-2012, 09:39 PM
yeah but you're a weirdo

First statement in four pages that I cannot argue with

Texan_Bill
07-08-2012, 09:40 PM
yeah but you're a weirdo

:spit:

True dat!!!

Texan_Bill
07-08-2012, 09:41 PM
First statement in four pages that I cannot argue with

:foottap: WTH does that mean, you sumbitch????

infantrycak
07-08-2012, 10:06 PM
****BALANCE****

Agreed on the balance thing.

On the cooked veggies unfortunately Americans cook vegetables really poorly. No offense to the moms of our era but just throwing squash in water and boiling it to death is not cooking. Carrots boiled until you couldn't get them on a fork. Hated that stuff as a kid. But my parents taught me to be polite and so I tried other versions and what do you know, it can be cooked into something other than bland mushy muck. I never have to fight my kids to eat their vegetables and they love things like kale, collards, okra, brussel sprouts, etc. If you want to experiment just pm me some time.

CretorFrigg
07-08-2012, 10:33 PM
A diet high in animal protein is known to be harmful (many would say disastrous) to our health, while a plant-based (vegan) diet prevents disease and is restorative to our health. This is re-inforced with a myriad of peer-reviewed scientific medical studies/trials. Even the very conservative ADA (American Dietetic Association) released a Position Satement :

[Full Position Paper-http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-07/ada-aru070109.php

I was unaware that a vegetarian diet can possibly lower your blood pressure. I have semi-high blood pressure (usually 140s), but I'm a bit resistant to taking drugs for it. I'm not overweight by any means, so I've resorted to lowering my sodium intake.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but since we're on the topic...aside from lowering my sodium intake, how can I alter my diet to lower my blood pressure? I'm willing to become a vegetarian...or even a vegan.

Playoffs
07-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but since we're on the topic...aside from lowering my sodium intake, how can I alter my diet to lower my blood pressure? I'm willing to become a vegetarian...or even a vegan.
10 ways to control high blood pressure without medication: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00027

DASH diet: Healthy eating to lower your blood pressure: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dash-diet/HI00047

Download PDF Your Guide to Lowering Your Blood Pressure with DASH: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/

CloakNNNdagger
07-09-2012, 12:16 AM
I was unaware that a vegetarian diet can possibly lower your blood pressure. I have semi-high blood pressure (usually 140s), but I'm a bit resistant to taking drugs for it. I'm not overweight by any means, so I've resorted to lowering my sodium intake.

The DASH diet, as Playoff pointed out, is not a bad place to start, again I would lean heavily on the the plant side.

In general, stay away from canned soups, canned vegetables and definitely learn to watch sodium on labels. Don't be fooled by glancing at, for example, a typical soup can that says 600 mgs sodium.......that's 600 per serving and there are typically 3 to 3.5 servings per can..........who has 1/3 of a can of soup????? You've really got to watch out for the company labeling tricks.

Fried foods are usually full of salt as well as any processed meats. Chinese and Italian foods are typically loaded with salt. Beware any time you go eat out (minimize it if you can)..........the salt shaker tends to get dropped in everything that you order unless its ordered fresh and natural. Don't be shy about telling the waiter to prepare with no salt. And try to avoid most fast food establishments.

Supplements that are quite helpful with lowering/controlling blood pressure include potassium and magnesium. There are recent studies that demonstrate blood pressure lowering properties associated with Vitamin D supplementation......all year round, but especially in non-sunny months.
It would be a good idea to obtain base line blood tests measuring sodium, potasium, magnesium, calcium and Vitamin D levels.

Try salt substitutes like NuSalt.

BTW, load up on decaf green tea as it can help lower and maintain blood pressure as well as prevent elevation of blood pressure. Avoid caffeine and other stimulants as much as possible.

And, above all, try to attain the magic number or 3 hours total for weekly aerobic exercise, which is one of the strongest non-dietary factors for lowering blood pressure.

Beer and Metal
07-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Wow.
What a varied reaction from everyone!
Im no vegan, but I ocasionally go that route.
One thing that I have found to work is to eliminate all soy, wheat, and sugar. I lost 12 lbs in one month just by doing that. Wheat is the hardest to avoid. It's everywhere. For "bread" I'd use the sprouted grain/bean "bread" (I use "" because you'd need to toast it twice to be edible). For protien I would use either whey or egg white.

Again, not vegan, just less meat. I'd still eat fish, chicken and beef, just less of it.

powerfuldragon
07-09-2012, 12:32 AM
lame.

CretorFrigg
07-09-2012, 02:08 AM
The DASH diet, as Playoff pointed out, is not a bad place to start, again I would lean heavily on the the plant side.

Thanks for all the advice! I really do appreciate it!

MSR

silvrhand
07-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Personally, *if* he isn't already on a vegan diet I think it's a bad time to start, he should continue his normal routine till the offseason and make the switch then so he has time to work out what works best for him.

We are 60 days away from the season, and IMHO a major diet change that close to the season isn't something I like to from our players. As CND pointed out B12 is an issue for some people to digest from vegan based diets, and supplements depending on the absorbtion rate could take some time for him to figure out.

HOU-TEX
07-09-2012, 09:59 AM
****BALANCE****

I used to be the same way. I had some grilled zucchini at the outlaws house a year or two ago and it was great. I usually grill some up a couple times a week now, or whenever I fire up the grill. Marinate them for a while and only grill them a min or two on each side. That way you still have the full texture of the vegetable rather than the mushy crap. That would be what used to kick in my gag reflexes.

TimeKiller
07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
If it's for health, whatever.

If it's for animal rights, nonsensical "moral" reasons, that's just ****ing stupid.

Classy.

TJ

True but humans weren't made to eat the amounts of meat and sugar most Americans eat every year either. Perhaps he has a digestive disorder that pushed him in this direction, who knows? I know I can't eat beef like I used to and shrimp is starting to be a bad idea too.

I would never take it as far as not drinking milk but caring for the animals and about the industry producing our foods is noble and nothing less.

Double Barrel
07-09-2012, 11:24 AM
A buddy of mine (avid hunter) gave me an article written by a nutritionist/Dr. from a hunting magazine many years ago.

It was mainly about advocating wild meat being so much better for consumption than mass produced meat.

Some interesting aspects of the article were that human digestive systems have not evolved as quickly as our modern menus. We basically have the same digestive system that humans had 10,000 years ago.

He also pointed out that while we are omnivores, capable of digesting both plant and animals, early humans of the hunter/gatherer cultures never ate meat every day, much less with every meal. They ate plants/fruits/vegetables in season and meat when they could hunt it. They also walked a lot and went through regular periods of fasting due to the occasional scarcity of food.

infantrycak
07-09-2012, 11:49 AM
He also pointed out that while we are omnivores, capable of digesting both plant and animals, early humans of the hunter/gatherer cultures never ate meat every day, much less with every meal. They ate plants/fruits/vegetables in season and meat when they could hunt it. They also walked a lot and went through regular periods of fasting due to the occasional scarcity of food.

I don't know why people can't see the obvious truth in this and where speedfreak is coming up with these all meat eating societies. OK nothing much grows around the Inuits. That is not the norm. And I don't know what kind of hunting people are thinking of where it's just easy to walk around and shoot big macs for everyone for three meals a day with primitive equipment. I've shot dove with my bow but you aren't giving a family a big whopping serving of meat at night doing it.

It's like folks think because we are omnivores it means be as close to carnivore as possible. Bears are omnivores and only eat 10-15% meat.

Humans were never designed to be vegans. That's why we can digest bones and don't have four stomachs (or other

Have you ever put a piece of bone in a cow to be able to tell they can't digest bones?

Are you sure it is digested v. passed? Due to turbulence I swallowed a plastic toothpick one time. No idea what its ultimate destiny was but either way it didn't mean we were designed to eat plastic toothpicks.

You realize there are "true herbivores" with a single stomach, right?

GP
07-09-2012, 11:51 AM
A buddy of mine (avid hunter) gave me an article written by a nutritionist/Dr. from a hunting magazine many years ago.

It was mainly about advocating wild meat being so much better for consumption than mass produced meat.

Some interesting aspects of the article were that human digestive systems have not evolved as quickly as our modern menus. We basically have the same digestive system that humans had 10,000 years ago.

You would enjoy Eat Right For Your Type.

The guy has had his stuff published in New England Journal of Medicine.

He says our blood type and DNA and digestive system are all tied together, and predicated upon our ancestral eating habits.

Type O is the oldest blood type, meat eaters. Ever wonder why some people eat crazy amounts of meat and they are skinny as a rail??? Ask them their blood type, it'll be Type O more than likely.

Type A's ancestors were hunter/gatherers..living on picked vegetation and nuts, berries. This group eventually stopped being nomadic and settled into farming a consistent homestead. Type A's do best on a diet heavy in leafy greens, nuts, fruits, and small quantities of meat protein.

His studies showed that our red blood cells, when attempting to carry food nutrients throughout the body, sense if a food substance is beneficial or harmful (based on DNA markup!) and if it's a bad food...it triggers the white blood cells to wrap the bad food with a coating and whisk it away to be stored as fat.

Thus, WHAT we eat can indeed cause heart disease and cancer...but it's predicated upon BLOOD TYPE and what that person eats.

Fascinating book. Reputable.

CloakNNNdagger
07-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Your friend pointed you in the right direction. If one is going to eat meat, game meat, in general, is a healthier choice of meat as it’s rich in proteins, has fewer calories, more lean tissue, higher amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids and higher amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids. Not to mention, there is no concern for growth hormones or antibiotics being fed to these animals.

ckhouston
07-09-2012, 12:26 PM

I take Losartan to help control my blood-pressure. Blood pressure can kill you man, dont play around with it. My oldest brother had HBP and wouldn't control it, wouldn't take medication, wouldn't slow down on the whiskey ... 43 years old and a gland burst in his brain and killed him. Official coroners cause of death ... hypertension.

NitroGSXR
07-09-2012, 12:34 PM

TJ

I just wanted to point out that humans have the same movable jaw as a cow. We are able to grind our teeth as opposed to carnivores such as dogs and cats. We also do not have fangs but flat teeth like cows.

What's your explanation for this?

Playoffs
07-09-2012, 12:39 PM

I thought I read that that "blood type" diet stuff was unsubstantiated nonsense?

TexansBlood
07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
I just wanted to point out that humans have the same movable jaw as a cow. We are able to grind our teeth as opposed to carnivores such as dogs and cats. We also do not have fangs but flat teeth like cows.

Bingo. We came from cows not monkeys.

CloakNNNdagger
07-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Whichever route Foster chooses, including vegan, he should be fine.

The Buddhist Shoalin Monks [VIDEO (http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/people/news-brutal-training-become-shaolin-monk)] have always been considered one of the strongest and deadliest warriors in history, especially in hand-to-hand combat. They are strict vegans.

I wouldn't be too excited about trying hand-to-hand with a gorilla either. They are said to have ~10 times the strength of a well-built human of equivalent size. They are essentially vegan. In fact, they eat so many plants during a day, they virtually need no water. However, some would point out that they eat the plants with insects on them along with termites and larvae........I'm sure that would make the difference in a 400 pounder.:kitten:

When's the last time the "weakling" Clydesdales horse had a steak?

beerlover
07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Whichever route Foster chooses, including vegan, he should be fine.

The Buddhist Shoalin Monks [VIDEO (http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/people/news-brutal-training-become-shaolin-monk)] have always been considered one of the strongest and deadliest warriors in history, especially in hand-to-hand combat. They are strict vegans.

I wouldn't be too excited about trying hand-to-hand with a gorilla either. They are said to have ~10 times the strength of a well-built human of equivalent size. They are essentially vegan. In fact, they eat so many plants during a day, they virtually need no water. However, some would point out that they eat the plants with insects on them along with termites and larvae........I'm sure that would make the difference in a 400 pounder.:kitten:

When's the last time the "weakling" Clydesdales horse had a steak?

I could see Cody do a segment covering this subject with his own twisted island style......... :kingkong:

NitroGSXR
07-09-2012, 02:13 PM

Leave me out of any beginning evolutionary debate. I hope you weren't mocking me. I'm just saying that our lateral incisors are not fangs.

As an aside, I thought humans cooked like chicken, not beef.

ckhouston
07-09-2012, 02:39 PM

Would make more sense. See how monkeys are semi-intelligent and most move quickly, have energy, and seem to be striving for some purpose in their lives?

Cows on the other hand seem to have no intelligence, are fat, move slow, and typically act like they could care less and their actions reinforce that attitude.

Which one reminds you more of humans today?

Especially ones who frequent these boards ... :cow:

GP
07-09-2012, 03:01 PM
I thought I read that that "blood type" diet stuff was unsubstantiated nonsense?

His studies and findings were printed in New England Journal of Medicine, which unless they've slacked in their standards...that's a strict publication in terms of the science of one's studies.

I lost 20 lbs on it, but have fell off the wagon and need to get back on. I'm Type A. All my family on both sides have had heart disease and some have had stomach or even intestinal cancer.

My grandparents ate a red meat or pork for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Every time, not joking. They just didn't know the science that's behind such a diet as they religiously enjoyed. Both of them had heart disease, both of them died from intestinal cancer. My other two grandparents died of heart disease. My dad has heart disease.

It's not far fetched when you stop and think this, as well: My grandparents ate so much meat, it ended up poisoning the very thing that would be susceptible to such poison: The stomach and the intestines--the two major players in the digestion and excretion of food products! They were poisoning themselves every day for 80+ years. But their generation was the Meat Is Good For You generation. And lots of milk, lots of cheese, lots of bread.

The heart cannot handle pumping blood to all the growing arteries/arterioles/capillaries that feed the fat in our body. And fat exists because your body is rejecting the foods you consumed (stores it away as a safety protocol). So the foods we eat, if it's incompatible with our blood type's preferences, get carried away and stored as fat...that fat has to be serviced by the heart...and this stresses the heart, causing heart disease. Then your immune system is taxed due to the work of your white blood cells (who are constantly shuttling off the bad food cells; to store it away in your gut and butt) and soon you're susceptible to cancer due to exhausted immune system.

Our bodies are resilient, but at some point it just gives up. It can't win if we don't stop certain things.

I personally think its not junk science. It seems quite logical and reasonable. Foods are composed of cellular organisms. We are composed of cellular organisms. The food we eat must be broken down and then "fed" to our own cellular organisms for systems to remain functional. How can we go against the DNA of who we are, which is hereditary.......which explains why certain people don't handle certain foods very well. Instead of cutting out a certain food...we have the need to limit some yet enhance others.

The key idea is: Moderation. But you have to know WHICH foods to limit (that are not beneficial to your body's blood type) and which foods to enhance (which ARE beneficial to you).

A type O vegan might have a verrry hard time experiencing full health if his body is actually built for the reception of animal proteins.

The thing is this: Why are we all trying to decide what to eat based on EXTERNAL factors....when its our INTERNAL cellular makeup that should drive our food and beverage choices?!?!

Who would put gasoline into a diesel engine??? Yeah, it'll work for awhile. But then it locks up.

BigSmooth1269
07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
I think it is a non issue. He is a hard worker, dedicated, and this is his craft he is trying to perfect it. There are lots of respected individuals in the sports and fitness world that are Vegetarians and advocate a meat free diet.

Double Barrel
07-09-2012, 03:20 PM

The guy has had his stuff published in New England Journal of Medicine.

He says our blood type and DNA and digestive system are all tied together, and predicated upon our ancestral eating habits.

Type O is the oldest blood type, meat eaters. Ever wonder why some people eat crazy amounts of meat and they are skinny as a rail??? Ask them their blood type, it'll be Type O more than likely.

Type A's ancestors were hunter/gatherers..living on picked vegetation and nuts, berries. This group eventually stopped being nomadic and settled into farming a consistent homestead. Type A's do best on a diet heavy in leafy greens, nuts, fruits, and small quantities of meat protein.

His studies showed that our red blood cells, when attempting to carry food nutrients throughout the body, sense if a food substance is beneficial or harmful (based on DNA markup!) and if it's a bad food...it triggers the white blood cells to wrap the bad food with a coating and whisk it away to be stored as fat.

Thus, WHAT we eat can indeed cause heart disease and cancer...but it's predicated upon BLOOD TYPE and what that person eats.

That's a very interesting concept, GP. Thanks for the heads up about it. I will definitely check it out soon. MSR

So much of nutrition and the science behind digestion seems logical that this idea makes a lot of sense to me.

DerekLee1
07-09-2012, 03:31 PM
How does he explain playing a sport with a leather ball then? Are his car seats leather? His cleets? How about the silk ties or wool coats? Just because you don't EAT meat products doesn't mean you're truly vegan.

Señor Stan
07-09-2012, 03:34 PM
That's a very interesting concept, GP. Thanks for the heads up about it. I will definitely check it out soon. MSR

So much of nutrition and the science behind digestion seems logical that this idea makes a lot of sense to me.

I've been reading a book called "Eat to Live" by Dr Joel Fuhrman. http://www.drfuhrman.com/

He focuses on a plant based diet and rates foods by their nutrient content. Basically Nutrients/Calories.

There is a really interesting case he cites in the book called the China Study http://www.thechinastudy.com/ It's worth a read...

NitroGSXR
07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I've been reading a book called "Eat to Live" by Dr Joel Fuhrman. http://www.drfuhrman.com/

He focuses on a plant based diet and rates foods by their nutrient content. Basically Nutrients/Calories.

There is a really interesting case he cites in the book called the China Study http://www.thechinastudy.com/ It's worth a read...

My ma lived this book. She had a major heart attack and they gave her a couple years, max 5. She lived on for 9 more years... and and and STROKE got her in the end. Not her heart. I know she's laughing her ass off about it right now. She really really hated her cardiologist. I believe the damage was done but this book absolutely extended her life. That I have no doubt of.

RIP Ma.

The Pencil Neck
07-09-2012, 04:34 PM

I'm trying to stay out of this debate but all mammals have the same basic structure for their teeth. Carnivores tend to have a full set while herbivores tend to have a partial set. Cats don't just have fangs. They've got incisors, premolars, and molars as well. Cows don't have canines (which are the fangs) and iirc, they don't have incisors on the top.

In other words, our teeth resemble a cat's teeth more than they resemble a cow's teeth. We have fangs; they're just not very long.

This does not mean we were meant to be carnivores but that we were meant to be omnivores.

ArlingtonTexan
07-09-2012, 04:43 PM
How does he explain playing a sport with a leather ball then? Are his car seats leather? His cleets? How about the silk ties or wool coats? Just because you don't EAT meat products doesn't mean you're truly vegan.

This has been already covered in the thread.

CloakNNNdagger
07-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm trying to stay out of this debate but all mammals have the same basic structure for their teeth. Carnivores tend to have a full set while herbivores tend to have a partial set. Cats don't just have fangs. They've got incisors, premolars, and molars as well. Cows don't have canines (which are the fangs) and iirc, they don't have incisors on the top.

In other words, our teeth resemble a cat's teeth more than they resemble a cow's teeth. We have fangs; they're just not very long.

This does not mean we were meant to be carnivores but that we were meant to be omnivores.

This debate as to what we humans are .......omnivore or herbivore.........can become quite telling when you look at some of the anatomic and physiologic details.

The lower jaw of carnivores have a hinge joint (just like the knee or elbow joint) and cannot move forward, and has very limited side-to-side motion. They essentially can only open and close for piercing, shearing, tearing and swallowing whole.

Cows [threw that in just for TexansBlood] and monkeys like humans have modified hinge/condylar jaw joints.......meaning the lower jaw may move up and down, side-to-side and forward and backward, essentially for biting, crushing and grinding before swallowing.

Carnivores have to have wide mouths and strong jaw muscles in order for them to eat some of the things they eat. Herbivores on the other hand are just the opposite, they have a small mouth and a strong tongue so it’s easier for them to move food around in their mouth and grind it on the flat molar teeth in the back of their mouth. In contrast, look how weak and limp a dog’s tongue is. It is protruded and rolled to allow for throwing water back into the throat. Cows, like humans don’t lap water, they actually suck it up like we do.

And what about their respective digestive systems?

Carnivores have very large stomachs, so large that it can hold between 60 and 70 percent of their whole digestive tract. But herbivores have very small stomachs and they process smaller piles of food.

A carnivore's or omnivore's small intestine is three to six times the length of its trunk. This is a tool designed for rapid elimination of food This way meat moves through fast, as meat goes rancid at high temperatures. Man's, as well as other herbivore's small intestines are 10 to 12 times the length of their body, and winds itself back and forth in random directions. This is a tool designed for keeping food in it for long enough periods of time so that all the valuable nutrients and minerals can be extracted from it before it enters the large intestine.

A carnivore's or omnivore's large intestine is relatively short and simple, like a pipe. This passage is also relatively smooth and runs fairly straight so that fatty wastes high in cholesterol can easily slide out before they start to putrefy. Man's, as well as other herbivore's large intestines, or colons, are puckered and pouched, an apparatus that runs in three directions (ascending, traversing and descending), designed to hold wastes that originally were foods high in water content. This is so that the fluids can be extracted from these wastes, now that all the useful nutrients and minerals have been extracted and the long journey through the small intestine is over.

A very interesting fact is that dogs, cats and other natural carnivores do not get colon cancer from high-fat, low-fiber, flesh-based diets. In humans, meat substances that have been putrefying for hours during their long stay in the small intestine tend to linger in the pockets that line the large intestine. This prolonged exposure to toxic substances has been found to explain such a high colon cancer rate amongst meat-eaters in the human colon while a very contrasting reduced colon cancer rate would be associated with humans following a plant-based diet.

Texan_Bill
07-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Is there any nutritional value in alcohol??

I kid...

As it turns out, I've been practicing the DASH diet and didn't even know it. Although I was not heavy on the veggie side of the diet, I still lost 46 pounds in less than two years by following several of the tenents of the DASH diet. I have since put about 10lbs back on (by choice) because I just didn't feel good or comfortable at 159 lbs. That said, my BMI is just fine.

The Pencil Neck
07-10-2012, 01:24 PM
This debate as to what we humans are .......omnivore or herbivore.........can become quite telling when you look at some of the anatomic and physiologic details.

You're not drawing me into the debate that easily.

CloakNNNdagger
07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
You're not drawing me into the debate that easily.
That wasn't my intention.............PN, I know better. LOL :texflag:

Hardcore Texan
07-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Is there any nutritional value in alcohol??
I kid...

As it turns out, I've been practicing the DASH diet and didn't even know it. Although I was not heavy on the veggie side of the diet, I still lost 46 pounds in less than two years by following several of the tenents of the DASH diet. I have since put about 10lbs back on (by choice) because I just didn't feel good or comfortable at 159 lbs. That said, my BMI is just fine.

There's no meat in beer, right?

- Joey Tribbiani

DBCooper
07-10-2012, 08:30 PM
ESPN is in on the conversation now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/38259/on-arian-fosters-new-vegan-diet

Playoffs
07-10-2012, 09:35 PM
ESPN is in on the conversation now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/38259/on-arian-fosters-new-vegan-diet
175 grams of protein a day?!!! No way I could do that day in, day out.

The Pencil Neck
07-10-2012, 11:32 PM
175 grams of protein a day?!!! No way I could do that day in, day out.

Most recommendations for athletes (from back when I used to pay attention to this stuff) is around 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight per day. Most bodybuilders shoot for over 2+ grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight a day.

175 grams of protein per day is in line with an athlete who weighs in the 200-230 pound range.

TexMexMom
07-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I was raised a rancher's daughter so I doubt I'd ever go vegan. I love my steak. I just can't eat meat as regularly as I used to. And while I had some concerns about Arian's choice at first, just doing some research put me at ease. Plus, I have faith in my son's ability to do his due diligence and manage his diet and body properly. He is a professional and he knows what his obligations are.

His choice is purely a desire to be as healthy as possible, not to keep from hurting animals. Although, I'm sure he has no qualms about that either. But it's not driven by a "tree hugger's principles"...whatever that means.

For those who question the timing, let me just say that Arian has been sustaining a very healthy diet for quite some time now. He didn't binge on burgers last week and then decide to become a vegan. He's managed his diet during training and during the season quite effectively and his has had less meat for a long time. He has a strong sense of responsibility and discipline and I have no doubts he'll do whatever is good for his body in this line of work. I support him 100%.

In addition to all that, all this debate has everyone talking about diet, healthy choices and extending life. I know it's done that for me and my family as well. And that, cannot be all bad.

HJam72
07-11-2012, 11:30 AM
If he has a great season and is still a vegan, I may have to give up beef and start cutting down on meat altogether. Heck, it would save me money too (I think, but nuts, etc. are expensive too).

TexansBlood
07-11-2012, 12:11 PM
I was raised a rancher's daughter so I doubt I'd ever go vegan. I love my steak. I just can't eat meat as regularly as I used to. And while I had some concerns about Arian's choice at first, just doing some research put me at ease. Plus, I have faith in my son's ability to do his due diligence and manage his diet and body properly. He is a professional and he knows what his obligations are.

His choice is purely a desire to be as healthy as possible, not to keep from hurting animals. Although, I'm sure he has no qualms about that either. But it's not driven by a "tree hugger's principles"...whatever that means.

For those who question the timing, let me just say that Arian has been sustaining a very healthy diet for quite some time now. He didn't binge on burgers last week and then decide to become a vegan. He's managed his diet during training and during the season quite effectively and his has had less meat for a long time. He has a strong sense of responsibility and discipline and I have no doubts he'll do whatever is good for his body in this line of work. I support him 100%.

In addition to all that, all this debate has everyone talking about diet, healthy choices and extending life. I know it's done that for me and my family as well. And that, cannot be all bad.

I guess some of our concerns is why change a diet?? The diet of his past has got him to be a top running back in the league. If it's not broken, why fix it?

TexMexMom
07-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I guess some of our concerns is why change a diet?? The diet of his past has got him to be a top running back in the league. If it's not broken, why fix it?

What "past" are we referring to? When Arian's in training, he is highly disciplined. Lots of fish, chicken, turkey, rice, veggies, grains and fruits. Maybe a tad bit of meat but most of his ground beef had been replaced by ground turkey anyway. He has done that for a long time. Even before last season. It's been a couple years or so since I've actually known him to eat a steak. So while it's new to people's ears, it's not really new to his tummy.

TexansBlood
07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
What "past" are we referring to? When Arian's in training, he is highly disciplined. Lots of fish, chicken, turkey, rice, veggies, grains and fruits. Maybe a tad bit of meat but most of his ground beef had been replaced by ground turkey anyway. He has done that for a long time. Even before last season. It's been a couple years or so since I've actually known him to eat a steak. So while it's new to people's ears, it's not really new to his tummy.

Thanks for the response and to clear some things up!

The Pencil Neck
07-11-2012, 03:32 PM

It's always odd to me when people equate beef with meat. Fish, chicken, turkey -- all that's meat. It reminds me of that "Big, Fat, Greek Wedding" movie where the guy says he's vegetarian and the Greek lady says, "That's OK. I'll fix lamb."

Ground beef being replaced by ground turkey is meat being replaced by... meat. Leaner, but still meat. :)

My best friend is Vegan. Vegan-lifestyle not just vegetarian/Vegan diet. It's possible to get all the protein you need but it's tough and takes a lot more work. But as you say, Arian is disciplined and I'm sure he's thought this through.

I don't have any worries about this. (But remind him to supplement his creatine. Just in case.)

infantrycak
07-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Ground beef being replaced by ground turkey is meat being replaced by... meat. Leaner, but still meat. :)

People need to watch out on the bold. I have seen lots of chicken/turkey ground meat or sausage which is as fat or even more than beef/pork products sitting right next to them. Gotta look at the labels.

GP
07-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Hearing all of this from you has put my mind at total ease.

Sometimes we don't get the full story when an athlete makes a passing comment in the media, and we all appreciate you taking the time to come here and let us know the full scoop.

Rep your way. Thanks again for the info!

The Pencil Neck
07-11-2012, 08:01 PM
People need to watch out on the bold. I have seen lots of chicken/turkey ground meat or sausage which is as fat or even more than beef/pork products sitting right next to them. Gotta look at the labels.

That's true. I was just generalizing and that's always dangerous.

waddy
07-12-2012, 03:32 AM
I think his game will improve due to his new eating habits.

Though football is different to Ironman triathlons, Brendan Brazier seems to have done pretty well over the years being vegan.

Oh, and hello to the few people who know me on here. Sorry for being away for sooooo long! Nice to be back!

07-12-2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d82981c7d/Favorite-food-Arian-Foster

LOL, really? good luck, my man... you'll need it!