PDA

View Full Version : Moran Norris signs 1 year deal

ArlingtonTexan
06-14-2012, 05:17 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/14/moran-norris-makes-his-way-back-to-houston/

Malloy
06-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....??????

Stemp
06-14-2012, 05:28 PM
He worked\tried out with the team during the 3 day minicamp and we apparently liked what we saw. Haven't heard anything on Sims-Walker, so I'm guessing we passed.

Texans_Chick
06-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Some thoughts:

Saw Darrell Smith working some with the 1s last week on short yardage. Asked about him. That's when Kubiak talked about how he had concern at the spot behind James Casey.

I'm thinking with the exit of Joel Dreessen, Casey is going to get more work at TE. He works with the TEs during drills.

And with all that Casey does and his history, you worry a bit about durability, though intrigued with him in a contract year.

With the transition on the right side of the line, and new WRs maybe in the mix, I'm not sure the Texans want a baby fullback too.

Here is Norris from today. Full grown. (Caption: Hey lady take the * picture already because it is * hot. Actually he was very very gracious but my camera work wasn't the quickest).

https://p.twimg.com/AvYVcw5CAAAmKIg.jpg:large

TimeKiller
06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Well I guess Jason Ford isn't doing well...

Interesting. I think it locks Casey into TE.

jaayteetx
06-14-2012, 07:25 PM
I know Chick Harris thinks highly of him.

Brisco_County
06-14-2012, 07:31 PM
From various interviews, I gather that Kubiak is both uncomfortable with the young talent and impressed with Moran. It seems he'll use him as both a stop gap and a leader.

alphajoker
06-14-2012, 07:33 PM
IMO, this is a good pick up. I think we need a FB that fits the role as a battering ram. Everything else, running/catching the ball, secondary skills. Leave that to Casey.

Texan_Bill
06-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Why not? I know he's moved around a lot, but I thought he played well when he was a Texan before, albeit 6 or 7 years ago. Also, he won't cost that much and he'll be motivated playing in his hometown again..

We'll see.

TexanSam
06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Solid signing. We just signed Arian to that giant contract. It'd be best to give him a known quantity at FB instead of an undrafted rookie.

GP
06-14-2012, 09:36 PM
When someone asked who would have more TD catches: Walter or Casey....

I said James Casey because he was going to be the next Owen Daniels and Graham was going to be the next Dreessen.

Moran Norris at FB just solidified that. Casey won't see a snap at FB unless we have injuries to Norris and whatever depth is behind Norris.

Folks, Thor is about to be unleashed in full power. He's a matchup nightmare against LBs. Stack him at the end of the line and the possibilities are delicious--He's going to eat up zones like a mad man.

ckhouston
06-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Rock and Roll! Touchdown, James Casey!

Texan_Bill
06-14-2012, 09:49 PM
When someone asked who would have more TD catches: Walter or Casey....

I said James Casey because he was going to be the next Owen Daniels and Graham was going to be the next Dreessen.

Moran Norris at FB just solidified that. Casey won't see a snap at FB unless we have injuries to Norris and whatever depth is behind Norris.

Folks, Thor is about to be unleashed in full power. He's a matchup nightmare against LBs. Stack him at the end of the line and the possibilities are delicious--He's going to eat up zones like a mad man.

Disagree... The fact that Casey can line-up as a FB or more accurately an H-Back works out nicely... Bringing Moran (Houstonian) back to the Texans bodes well for the "O" contingent (of course) if he still "has it"

I totally agree with you about "Thor is about to be unleashed", JUST STAY HEALTHY!!! If he can and/or does, he can be devastating!!!!

Joel Dreessen who??? (I don't really mean that)

Norg
06-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Super bowl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texans_Chick
06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
I think Casey looks really ready.

Even so, I have a hard time thinking he has a consistently big year because of so many options for this offense.

Andre is going to get his because he's Andre and gets things despite coverage.

Foster is going to get his.

Schaub loves throwing to Daniels. You can see it.

So Casey comes in as 2nd TE, and how much do they run that? Dreessen had a very bizarre year getting so many TDs despite not getting targeted much. I don't recall that weird phenomenon happening too much in the offense.

So pluses to Casey having a big season: looks very ready, contract year, with Schaub back they will be able to do the fun things they could do when the offense was Casey complex, Dreessen gone.

Negatives to Casey having a big season: Offense has too many targets to think the #2 tight end is going to get a ton of consistent targets. He's going to split TE targets with OD. Staying healthy an entire season.

Maybe some fullback when it isn't super short yardage.

ckhouston
06-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I think Casey looks really ready.

Even so, I have a hard time thinking he has a consistently big year because of so many options for this offense.

Andre is going to get his because he's Andre and gets things despite coverage.

Foster is going to get his.

Schaub loves throwing to Daniels. You can see it.

So Casey comes in as 2nd TE, and how much do they run that? Dreessen had a very bizarre year getting so many TDs despite not getting targeted much. I don't recall that weird phenomenon happening too much in the offense.

So pluses to Casey having a big season: looks very ready, contract year, with Schaub back they will be able to do the fun things they could do when the offense was Casey complex, Dreessen gone.

Negatives to Casey having a big season: Offense has too many targets to think the #2 tight end is going to get a ton of consistent targets. He's going to split TE targets with OD. Staying healthy an entire season.

Maybe some fullback when it isn't super short yardage.

I could see Casey becoming a legitimate third passing option to start the season behind AJ and OD, and depending on how he progresses possibly turning into a Dallas Clark type weapon for us.

Texn4life
06-15-2012, 01:07 AM
I love this signing for a couple of reasons.

1. It allows Casey to really focus on the TE position and do what he does best. I do think he'll line up at FB at times because it creates mismatches when an LB tries to cover him out of the backfield. Moran is a banger and he'll give us about 15-25 plays a game which he should still have left at this point in his career.

2. This should give us some roster flexibility. With Casey being able to double at TE and FB I would think we'd be able to use the extra roster spot to have someone else active on Game Day. Last year OD, Dreesen, Casey, and Vickers were all active when they were healthy. Now, OD, Casey, and Norris will be active. I saw where Graham was active for 7 games last year. We could definitely have Graham active most game days so we have 3 Tight Ends or we can roll the dice, go with 2 TEs and carry an extra DB when we play someone like Green Bay or NE. I'm sure it will vary on who we play, but I like the flexibility it gives us. Thats the one Big time plus that having a guy like Casey around provides.

Corrosion
06-15-2012, 02:07 AM
Why not? I know he's moved around a lot, but I thought he played well when he was a Texan before, albeit 6 or 7 years ago. Also, he won't cost that much and he'll be motivated playing in his hometown again..

We'll see.

He did play very well in his last stint with the Texans , I know many were sad to see him go .... Good signing IMO. Foster has to be happy ....

El Tejano
06-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Was Moran Norris around when we had Ron Dayne and Darius Walker running for us? I do know he was around to even help Jonathan Wells get a few 100 yard games.

SheTexan
06-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Happy to see him back! Feeling a little more positive about our O. I've been a HUGE James Casey fan from the get-go, might be because I LOVE TE's,:love: and wasn't real happy when he got moved to FB last year. He just seems to be a NATURAL at the TE position. Stephs analysis pretty much mimics my own also. Let's just hope Moran and James stays healthy and Butler and Caldwell (or whoever) do their part. Arian is our weapon, just make a big enough hole for him and watch that boy have a 2000 yd season!! :fans:

Thorn
06-15-2012, 10:52 AM
It's a good signing. We need an experienced FB whose name isn't Casey.

badboy
06-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Could be a better free agency off season than I expected.
Ball to share duties with KJ
Norris starting FB
John Beck possible 3rd stringer at QB
Bradie James starting ILB
Donnie Jones punter

Now if we could just bring in a good WR vet...

eriadoc
06-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Norris was signed a week or two into the Texans' inaugural season. Is he the most successful original Texan anywhere? He's actually had some good years and been highly regarded at times as a FB. No one else from that '02 team went on to be worth a damn that I recall.

El Tejano
06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Norris was signed a week or two into the Texans' inaugural season. Is he the most successful original Texan anywhere? He's actually had some good years and been highly regarded at times as a FB. No one else from that '02 team went on to be worth a damn that I recall.

Jabar Gaffney has made a name for himself.

Dutchrudder
06-15-2012, 02:12 PM
If he makes the team, maybe we will see signs like this at the game:

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/n/U/moran.jpg

The Pencil Neck
06-15-2012, 02:40 PM
If he makes the team, maybe we will see signs like this at the game:

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/n/U/moran.jpg

One can only hope.

dalemurphy
06-15-2012, 03:52 PM
The Texans want to enter the season with the ability to succeed in all situations. There are times when they will need to line up on 3rd or 4th and 18 inches and want to line up in an "I" formation and punch it between the tackles... Norris is a proven option to do that. I still doubt he makes the final roster, but it is a good signing and a known quantity in an area where the team has a deficit.

welsh texan
06-15-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm happy to see the Texans looking to get better at the blocking FB position, because I still think Casey is great guy to have as an option to line up there situationally but not as the starter.

I know the point has been made about us being a 4000 yard passing O, but I think this coaching staff desperately need our O to be a power running O, who cause devastation when they go to the pass, especially with misdirection.

They need the D to feel the need to cheat against the run to open up the time and space when they choose to go to the pass, whereas in the past we've been forced to go to the pass because we haven't been able to rely on the blocking up front. I also think as good as Foster is, the moment we allow guys to meet him with momentum in the hole his career begins to decline.

Norris may not have the natural ability of a Leach, but you'd have to think his time in the league indicates he has the guile and experience to fill that need.

CloakNNNdagger
06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
The Texans want to enter the season with the ability to succeed in all situations. There are times when they will need to line up on 3rd or 4th and 18 inches and want to line up in an "I" formation and punch it between the tackles... Norris is a proven option to do that. I still doubt he makes the final roster, but it is a good signing and a known quantity in an area where the team has a deficit.

Please explain.

drs23
06-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Please explain.

Twice, please?

Corrosion
06-15-2012, 07:02 PM
twice, please?

x3.

TEXANS84
06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Twice, please?

X4.

I liked Norris when he was here, happy to have him back.

Corrosion
06-15-2012, 11:10 PM
He did play very well in his last stint with the Texans , I know many were sad to see him go .... Good signing IMO. Foster has to be happy ....

X4.

I liked Norris when he was here, happy to have him back.

What do we know ..... :fans:

Texn4life
06-16-2012, 12:19 AM
What do we know ..... :fans:

Apparently nothing...... There's no way we go with Casey and either of the other FB options we have. Norris is almost a lock to make the team unless he's terrible in preseason or he gets hurt. I love that we brought him back.

hot pickle
06-16-2012, 03:40 AM
welcome back :tiphat:

TheMatrix31
06-16-2012, 04:24 AM
If he's got something left, hey why not?

ATRAIN
06-18-2012, 06:04 PM
I just hope that Norris can catch the ball. We pass to the FB a lot on play action. Maybe we will run Casey and him back and forth and use Norris namely for blocking. Either way good signing to help Foster do what he does.

Texn4life
06-18-2012, 06:19 PM
I just hope that Norris can catch the ball. We pass to the FB a lot on play action. Maybe we will run Casey and him back and forth and use Norris namely for blocking. Either way good signing to help Foster do what he does.

Receiving out of the backfield isn't his specialty. Vonta Leach's last year he caught 15 balls for 69 yards. We don't really need Norris to be a threat in the passing game, but just be capable. Watching him in his first stint here and some in San Fran I would say that he's capable.

Casey will be moved to his true role as a TE/HB/FB type I believe. I think he can be our Frank Wycheck in a sense.

ATRAIN
06-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Receiving out of the backfield isn't his specialty. Vonta Leach's last year he caught 15 balls for 69 yards. We don't really need Norris to be a threat in the passing game, but just be capable. Watching him in his first stint here and some in San Fran I was say that he's capable.

Casey will be moved to his true role as a TE/HB/FB type I believe. I think he can be our Frank Wycheck in a sense.

Yeah I know we need him more for blocking but yeah if he is just capable im ok with that. I hope Casey shines in his TE role and makes us ok with losing Joel.

El Tejano
06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I have three friends at work that are 49er fans and they said that Norris did well for them when it came to run blocking and pass pro. He doesn't miss assignments. But if we are looking for him to catch passes....that's another story because he is hands of stone (I keep thinking of the Raider game and the FB that dropped that pass now). He also isn't going to get alot of carries (neither did the other FBs though).

Playoffs
06-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Moran Norris ranked 39th/65 FBs in blocking in only 107 snaps in 2011 -- ProFootballFocus

The Pencil Neck
06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
I have three friends at work that are 49er fans and they said that Norris did well for them when it came to run blocking and pass pro. He doesn't miss assignments. But if we are looking for him to catch passes....that's another story because he is hands of stone (I keep thinking of the Raider game and the FB that dropped that pass now). He also isn't going to get alot of carries (neither did the other FBs though).

Vickers.

That's why I miss Leach. Great blocker and although he wasn't a great target out of the backfield, he normally made the catch.

Rey
06-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Moran Norris ranked 39th/65 FBs in blocking in only 107 snaps in 2011 -- ProFootballFocus

65 FB's played last year?

That's crazy...

drs23
06-21-2012, 03:33 PM

That's crazy...

Struck me that way as well because, well, fullback is becoming an extinct position. So they say...

CloakNNNdagger
06-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Struck me that way as well because, well, fullback is becoming an extinct position. So they say...

This is what Kubiak is trying to do with Casey. The Hybrid FB is the "trend." I can see it as a "complementary" piece. But I doubt that any team would turn their nose up at a top notch classic battering ram if available.

A timely article:

NFL Analysis: A Closer Look at How the H-Back Position Has Changed (http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/nfl/49ers/nfl-analysis-closer-look-how-h-back-position-has-changed#)
Jun 20, 2012

The NFL is an onion. Just when you feel that you have got it figured out, you pull back another layer and the whole landscape has changed. Very few teams/coaches are at the forefront of change, but many follow suit after success is apparent.

The center of all NFL change is based on creating mismatches. It doesn’t matter whether it is coming from a defensive or offensive mind. If a coach can get an edge by altering the norm, then it’s advantageous to implement the scheme into the team’s philosophy. With the NFL being a copycat league, it’s only a matter of time before 31 other staffs, that watch this original coach’s film, catch on and extract the new wrinkle into their offense or defense. It’s how the 4-6 defense, run and shoot, west coast offense, etc, have all become a part of NFL lore. In the NFL, you either evolve or become extinct. It’s called the N(ot) F(or) L(ong) for a reason.

The H-Back position is not a new concept. The change though, comes from the purpose of the position. Initially, the position was created to have a majority of the focus on blocking, but with the ability of extensive route knowledge and complementary hands. In it’s simplest definition, it’s a hybrid fullback/tight end position. The H-back is a player that displays adequate blocking ability and the understanding and athletic ability to run routes from multiple locations, the latter becoming of more importance in recent years.

The traditional H-back position slowly died off with the decreased role of the fullback in the modern NFL. As the NFL has morphed into a much more passer friendly league over the last several years, the H-back position has risen from the dead with a vengeance. The new look H-back still displays the ability to block from a traditional fullback position and from the line as a tight end, but their main focus is to be a mismatch problem for the defense in the passing game.

Bill Belichick is usually one of the first coaches to latch on to any new wrinkle that gives his team an advantage. He routinely adds branches off of the main trunk of thought. The new era H-back was no different. What he has done with Aaron Hernandez has created a ripple effect throughout the NFL. Hernandez can be seen lining out wide as a receiver, from the tight end position, and you can even see him taking carries out of the backfield.

There is no definition to the new H-backs. They now are ran by the “positional homeless” people coming up from the college football ranks. What I mean by that is, guys that are athletically gifted enough to play in the NFL, but don’t have an ideal position. They may be too small for an in-line tight end, too big for a receiver, not agile enough, or maybe not a great blocker. In this melting pot of a position, offenses can now throw this previously untapped raw talent in and mold it into a red zone threat, a quarterback’s security blanket, a personal protector of a mobile quarterback, or just another weapon that the defense is forced to account for.

Some people might not be buying into the thought that there is an actual trend. But, over the last couple of years, teams have been more willing to take these late round “positional homeless” guys. There’s more to the H-back position working in an offense than the player selected. The coaches have to know how to utilize his talents within the offense and they are meant to be complementary pieces, not the focus point. Here’s a list of recent draftees, free agents, and possible developmental H-backs that teams may hope to see flourish in their offense as an athletic, versatile H-back;

Buffalo Bills: Dorin Dickerson – 6’1 – 227
Miami Dolphins: Charles Clay – 6’3 – 245
Houston Texans: James Casey – 6’3 – 240
Oakland Raiders: Marcel Reece – 6’2 – 240
Cleveland Browns: Brad Smelley – 6’2 – 233
Pittsburgh Steelers: David Paulson – 6’3 – 241
Philadelphia Eagles: Emil Igwenagu – 6’1 – 245
Washington Redskins: Niles Paul – 6’1 – 224
Chicago Bears: Evan Rodriguez – 6’1 – 233
Green Bay Packers: DJ Williams – 6’2 – 245
Minnesota Vikings: Rhett Ellison – 6’5 – 250
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Drake Dunsmore – 6’2 – 235

It’s worth noting that two teams in the Patriots division have made conscious efforts in acquiring a player with the intangibles of a divisional foe, like Aaron Hernandez. New England also saw the benefit in Dorin Dickerson. Hernandez’ role with the Patriots was so paramount in their run up to the Super Bowl that Belichick added Dickerson on the roster as insurance. New England would have placed Dorin in that role if any injury would have forced Hernandez out for a certain period of time.

Now, a year later, Dickerson is prepared to do for Buffalo what he witnessed first hand in practicing weekly with the Patriots. It also seems as if the NFC is playing catch-up to the new era H-back trend. The AFC has seen over the last several years the importance of the position and the headaches it causes when you have to game plan to stop or should I say slow it down.

This will definitely be something to watch as we enter the 2012 season. Don’t be surprised if you start hearing several of the above listed names on Sundays. If that turns out to be the case, don’t expect to see the guys that are “too small to play tight end in the NFL” lasting to the last round of the draft anymore.

Playoffs
06-21-2012, 11:29 PM

That's crazy...Only 29 FBs took at least 25% of their team's snaps. 65 is the whole kit 'n kaboodle.

TejasTom
06-22-2012, 11:15 PM
... But I doubt that any team would turn their nose up at a top notch classic battering ram if available.

Except the Texans,
Signed Leech & Vickers

CloakNNNdagger
06-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Except the Texans,
Signed Leech & Vickers

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzKWoQO6_o0fKHeYWwWaAlauqP1-TITAcTeIzkMghJs4e_rtnGaw

Signed Rick Smith
Co-signed Bob McNair
Co-co-signed Moran Norris

TejasTom
06-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Signed Rick Smith
Co-signed Bob McNair
Co-co-signed Moran Norris

I knew a cap response was warranted, but that's funny.