PDA

View Full Version : Gary Kubiak & Rick Smith given extensions

badboy
02-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Emotions have cooled & it has been 2 weeks since last post (I could find). We had a great run despite major injuries especially to our offense. Like him or not, do you think Gary gets an extension before next season? I say yes & probably more than one year. This should also help in keeping, Myers & Briesel and later Schaub. Your thoughts?

Bulls on Parade
02-18-2012, 10:46 PM
As long as Wade Phillps is our defensive coordinator then Gary Kubiak will be the head coach for a long time. He's done a great job with the offense over the years. This is a Kubiak and Wade relationship: Which is going to result in great things for the Texans.

Lucky
02-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Kubiak will get an extension this offseason. They may be waiting until free agency is over, as not to distract from that process. But, there's not a chance in hell McNair lets Kubiak coach on a lame duck contract.

Showtime100
02-19-2012, 08:58 AM
You can't get rid of him now....period. Having said that our head coach is a weak link on this team.

thunderkyss
02-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Emotions have cooled & it has been 2 weeks since last post (I could find). We had a great run despite major injuries especially to our offense. Like him or not, do you think Gary gets an extension before next season? I say yes & probably more than one year. This should also help in keeping, Myers & Briesel and later Schaub. Your thoughts?

I understand this is just a formality & doesn't really mean that much. If McNair extends Kubiak for one year, through the 2013 season, he's still toast if he drastically under performs Bob's expectations.

What Bob's expectations are, are a complete mystery to most of us, so let's not go down that road.

The length of the extension is the only thing that means anything to anybody. The longer the extension, the greater Bob's exposure.

I personally don't believe Kubiak has earned anything more than a year. But we'll see how close Kubiak got to McNair's expectations soon enough.

I think Kubiak is probably the best locker room coach in the league short of The Hoody or Coughlin.... but he leaves a lot to be desired on the sideline. I think he is improving & I would have been perfectly fine with a real extension had he handled the Baltimore game the way he handled every game since Carolina..... cautious, safe, taking calculated Risks.... but Baltimore in the divisional round he was too cavalier for me, & I don't understand why.

Lucky
02-19-2012, 09:14 AM
The length of the extension is the only thing that means anything to anybody. The longer the extension, the greater Bob's exposure. Doesn't mean jack to me. I couldn't care less about McNair's "exposure". If the team wins (which it finally has), keep Kubiak. If the team loses, dump him. The contract is McNair's problem.

I think Kubiak is probably the best locker room coach in the league short of The Hoody or Coughlin...
How would you, me, or anyone not in the locker room know this? Or even what value that brings to winning? The only thing that matters is the record. And there are still plenty of head coaches with better records than Gary Kubiak. There are plenty of unknowns, as well. Especially in the AFC South. Hopefully, that will be to Kubiak's, and the Texans', advantage.

Showtime100
02-19-2012, 09:19 AM
I see Kubes and the Texans as I do this country, generally speaking. Think what we could be with a GOOD leader.

ckhouston
02-19-2012, 09:23 AM
I see Kubes and the Texans as I do this country, generally speaking. Think what we could be with a GOOD leader.

All the players say Gary is a great leader. We dont see what happens behind closed doors. He has made questionable calls during the game, but for the most part we owe the success of this team to Kubes offense, and Wades defense. Neither can stand alone.

thunderkyss
02-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Doesn't mean jack to me. I couldn't care less about McNair's "exposure". If the team wins (which it finally has), keep Kubiak. If the team loses, dump him. The contract is McNair's problem.

Yeah.... maybe I should have been more specific.. McNair would be the anybody.

How would you, me, or anyone not in the locker room know this? Or even what value that brings to winning?

The solidarity of the message coming out of the locker room, being told by players, coaches, etc...

Player comments

Player effort

& this year's accomplishments despite the injury issues are reliable locker room metrics to me.

Look at the 2011 Jets... bad locker room, bad affect on winning. Not that it's the only thing, but, imo, the locker room plays into a teams ability to win.

The only thing that matters is the record.

Yeah..... sorry, I've never subscribed to that small-minded, short-sighted view. Winning doesn't happen in a vacuum.

And there are still plenty of head coaches with better records than Gary Kubiak.

I don't understand this statement. Has anyone questioned this? What does this have to do with Kubiak's merit for getting an extension this year?

There are plenty of unknowns, as well. Especially in the AFC South. Hopefully, that will be to Kubiak's, and the Texans', advantage.

Hopefully.

All I'm saying is that Gary is going to get an extension.... we know that. How long will it be? We don't know, however, when we find out, the length of the extension may give us some insight into McNair's perception of Gary Kubiak.....

& that McNair can extend him for 4 years, but fire him next year if that's what he chooses to do.

gary
02-19-2012, 11:37 AM
At this point you keep him and then once Wade exits you replace him with the next best person.

EllisUnit
02-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Would be a tall order not to extend Kubiak, especially after last season. Yes wade helped get us to where we were going but, Also look at the upgrades the defense had compared to 2010. JoJo, Manning, Watt, Reed, Barwin, Demeco.

Some want to say all this teams success is because of Wade. I say B.S, sure having his scheme helped but it is not all because of him.

Kubiak had a 5th round rookie QB, and No AJ for damn near half the season. And he managed to do just enough to win. Some say he is a coach who has trouble making adjustments, well he did a pretty damn good job to me last season.

With Schaub and AJ for the whole season i have no doubt we would of had a 1st round bye, and home field advantage. That would of changed things a lot. We will see next season. Hopefully the injury bug goes elsewhere.

steelbtexan
02-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't extend Gary

BoB will extend Gary.

Gary is BoBs illegitimate son.

gary
02-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Will Gary hire an outside DC to replace Wade or just give the job to an assistant? We have all seen that before?

nytexan
02-19-2012, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't extend Gary

BoB will extend Gary.

Gary is BoBs illegitimate son.

Really??????? At 49 years old that's the best you can come up with???

He'll extend him because that will show franchise stability to players, coaches, free agents as well as player agents. Besides money the #1 thing player agents look at is to find a place your player fits the system in and have longer term stability for growth. It just makes perfect sense to extend him and it most likely will be for a minimum of 2 years.

Dutchrudder
02-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't mind giving Kubiak and extension of 3 years, but they better give Wade a 2 year extension to match. Both under contract through 2015 ought to be fine. Wade's should also include a bump in salary to help prevent him from being lured away next offseason.

welsh texan
02-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't mind giving Kubiak and extension of 3 years, but they better give Wade a 2 year extension to match. Both under contract through 2015 ought to be fine. Wade's should also include a bump in salary to help prevent him from being lured away next offseason.

He's already the highest paid D co isn't he? Not 100% sure on that but seem to remember reading it.

For me, I don't want Bob to extend Kubes this season, give him the pressure to succeed again next season and don't set yourself up for a fall.

That said, I think he probably will get extended, and I won't be that upset if he does, but if next season is a big step back, it'll be a huge disappointment to me.

steelbtexan
02-19-2012, 01:47 PM

He'll extend him because that will show franchise stability to players, coaches, free agents as well as player agents. Besides money the #1 thing player agents look at is to find a place your player fits the system in and have longer term stability for growth. It just makes perfect sense to extend him and it most likely will be for a minimum of 2 years.

Really, atleast your thinking outside the box.

What's Garys record?

What's Gary's record without Wade?

Does he really deserve an extention based on his W/L record?

Like I said before if BoB's proven one thing he wont buy out a HC with yrs remaining on his contract. Regardless of what the paying customers want. For this reason I would wait and make Gary prove himself again next yr.

Of course I would have fired Gary after the 2009 season. BoB didn't because he had just given Gary a contract extention. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.

Your kidding yourself if you dont think FA is about mostly $$$$. Why do you think the Texans defense improved last yr? BoB finally stepped up and gave Manning and Joseph the best deals they could find on the market. Your kidding yourself if you think that continuity/stability and all of that other crap that you're spewing mattered. 2 things matter to FA's 1. $$$$ 2. Winning. Luclily for the Texans Wade decided to sign/stay with the Texans so that helps mask Garys gameday gaffes. As long as Wade stay the Texans will have a winning org and Houston will become a desireable place for FA's to play.

If Wade leaves I full expect Gary to return to the same old Gary. Gary has learned on the Job. But my qeustion to you is why did it take him 6 yrs to learn and why did he suddenly become some great mind/HC after Wade joined the staff? Does Gary have a learning disability? 6 yrs really?

gary
02-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Gary without Wade bad.
Gary with Wade good.
END THEAD.

Texecutioner
02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
47-49? Any discussion of an extension is out of line and ridiculous.

thunderkyss
02-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Of course I would have fired Gary after the 2009 season. BoB didn't because he had just given Gary a contract extention. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.

After their first winning season ever?

This goes back to winning doesn't happen in a vacuum. Some of you guys act like we were the Patriots coming off back to back Super Bowl victories.

We were three years removed from our worst season ever.

I think it was also the second biggest roster turnover as well.

It's the same as any organized sport, you look at returning players & experience & you base your expectations on that. If you're involved in youth sports, you'll know as the parents & coaches try to keep the same teams together as long as they can, because it increases their chances of winning. They also know once they move up in competition, say go from 10U to 12U, they're going to struggle that first year & most likely not win a lot of games. But you've got to play the year anyway. You focus on fundamentals & quality play. That way when you're a senior team in the league, you'll mop up with all the freshman teams.

Corrosion
02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Kubiak will get an extension this offseason. They may be waiting until free agency is over, as not to distract from that process. But, there's not a chance in hell McNair lets Kubiak coach on a lame duck contract.

I agree , no way McNair lets him coach a lame duck season.

Pieman2005
02-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I think everyone is forgetting a problem with the team the last few years.. the mentality. How many times did the Texans come out looking uninterested and unmotivated? It happened a few times this season, but we just sweep it under the rug because of the overall good season that we had.
Don't forget Kubiak's lack of killer instinct and attack mode.

DocBar
02-19-2012, 03:44 PM

What's Garys record?

Like I said before if BoB's proven one thing he wont buy out a HC with yrs remaining on his contract. Regardless of what the paying customers want. For this reason I would wait and make Gary prove himself again next yr.

Your kidding yourself if you dont think FA is about mostly $$$$. Why do you think the Texans defense improved last yr? BoB finally stepped up and gave Manning and Joseph the best deals they could find on the market. Your kidding yourself if you think that continuity/stability and all of that other crap that you're spewing mattered. 2 things matter to FA's 1. $$$$ 2. Winning. Luclily for the Texans Wade decided to sign/stay with the Texans so that helps mask Garys gameday gaffes. As long as Wade stay the Texans will have a winning org and Houston will become a desireable place for FA's to play.

If Wade leaves I full expect Gary to return to the same old Gary. Gary has learned on the Job. But my qeustion to you is why did it take him 6 yrs to learn and why did he suddenly become some great mind/HC after Wade joined the staff? Does Gary have a learning disability? 6 yrs really?Shouldn't there be some attention paid to the difference between Wade's 1st year and subsequent years? He's usually great coming in, then the teams record falls off steeply and he becomes head coach after 2-3 years.
What happens if the offense picks up where it left off when Schaub got injured and the D falls back to middle of the pack? Too many if's to really be considered right now.
I'm good with however long of an extension McNair wants to give Kubiak. Kubiak can still be fired, regardless. Dumb question: do coaching staff salaries count against the cap? I've never paid any attention to that.

thunderkyss
02-19-2012, 04:06 PM
I think everyone is forgetting a problem with the team the last few years.. the mentality. How many times did the Texans come out looking uninterested and unmotivated? It happened a few times this season, but we just sweep it under the rug because of the overall good season that we had.
Don't forget Kubiak's lack of killer instinct and attack mode.

I don't think I've ever bought the "uninterested & unmotivated" excuse. I just don't buy it. Just like I don't buy the "no effort" excuses.

If we come out & shut out the opposing team, we don't talk about how uninterested, or unmotivated they were. We talk about how we kicked their a$$ for the first three qtrs.

This is football, the other guys get paid, the other guys scheme, the other guys play this game at a level just as high as ours.

Teams make adjustment at halftime... mid quarter... mid drive. It's just part of the game.

DocBar
02-19-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't think I've ever bought the "uninterested & unmotivated" excuse. I just don't buy it. Just like I don't buy the "no effort" excuses.

If we come out & shut out the opposing team, we don't talk about how uninterested, or unmotivated they were. We talk about how we kicked their a$$ for the first three qtrs.

This is football, the other guys get paid, the other guys scheme, the other guys play this game at a level just as high as ours.

Teams make adjustment at halftime... mid quarter... mid drive. It's just part of the game.MSR!! Very good points, TK

badboy
02-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Kubiak will get an extension this offseason. They may be waiting until free agency is over, as not to distract from that process. But, there's not a chance in hell McNair lets Kubiak coach on a lame duck contract.Wouldn't free agents want to know the long term situation of a coach they were to play for? I would have thought an announcement on a new contract would be very soon.

DocBar
02-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Wouldn't free agents want to know the long term situation of a coach they were to play for? I would have thought an announcement on a new contract would be very soon.Which FA's are you speaking of?he only ones we're capable of keeping are our own.

badboy
02-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Which FA's are you speaking of?he only ones we're capable of keeping are our own.You keep making the same statement despite others showing how it can be done. That's cool but allow me and others to have our opinions. If Mario leaves that apprx $18m of cap space.

DocBar
02-19-2012, 06:47 PM
You keep making the same statement despite others showing how it can be done. That's cool but allow me and others to have our opinions. If Mario leaves that apprx $18m of cap space.How is me saying anything limiting what you or others have to say? At least give me credit for being consistent. BTW, your p[osts tend to be the same these says. Maybe it's an offseason/no news thing. *********

badboy
02-19-2012, 07:04 PM
How is me saying anything limiting what you or others have to say? At least give me credit for being consistent. BTW, your p[osts tend to be the same these says. Maybe it's an offseason/no news thing. *********The topic of this thread is current and relevant to Texans future and to the fans. You consistently say we cannot sign free agents despite much evidence to the contrary. Why should you get credit for that? Your offseason/no news comment is another example of what I am talking about. Manning is in the news, Wade and Gary are worth talking about. Free agency, contracts, salary cap, injuries are topics to discuss. The combine starts in a few days and the draft is less than two months from now. Slow? Not for many of us. Most interesting offseason ever for me.

DocBar
02-19-2012, 07:07 PM
The topic of this thread is current and relevant to Texans future and to the fans. You consistently say we cannot sign free agents despite much evidence to the contrary. Why should you get credit for that? Your offseason/no news comment is another example of what I am talking about. Manning is in the news, Wade and Gary are worth talking about. Free agency, contracts, salary cap, injuries are topics to discuss. The combine starts in a few days and the draft is less than two months from now. Slow? Not for many of us. Most interesting offseason ever for me.You are quite mistaken. Read more than these forums, my friend.

badboy
02-19-2012, 07:17 PM
You are quite mistaken. Read more than these forums, my friend.You make a statement without any support, again. I will state I do read much more than TT forums but do find much more info here. Now I am off for a homemade hamburger.

DocBar
02-19-2012, 07:47 PM
You make a statement without any support, again. I will state I do read much more than TT forums but do find much more info here. Now I am off for a homemade hamburger.I hope your home made hamburger is nowhere near as full of bull as you are. :D

Seegara
02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Yep, I think Kubiak will get an extension, and that will be a mistake, because it will make it harder to get rid of him if he produces a disastrous 2012 season.

Showtime100
02-19-2012, 09:08 PM
All the players say Gary is a great leader. We dont see what happens behind closed doors. He has made questionable calls during the game, but for the most part we owe the success of this team to Kubes offense, and Wades defense. Neither can stand alone.

No kidding. So my post was directed about what I can see.

TexanSam
02-19-2012, 09:14 PM
I have no problem with him coaching on a lame duck contract. Puts the pressure on him again to succeed just like this past year.

bckey
02-19-2012, 10:09 PM
I have no problem with him coaching on a lame duck contract. Puts the pressure on him again to succeed just like this past year.

I don't either but the majority on here will argue against it. What is wrong with producing another winning season to get an extension? If the Texans fall back to mediocre then you cut ties and move on. Philadelphia let Andy Reid coach a lame duck season a year or 2 ago. It isn't unheard of in the NFL. But we all know McNair is way overboard when it comes to loyalty. We saw it with David Carr and also with Capers. And I think McNair holds Kubiak in a much higher regard than either of those 2.

Showtime100
02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I wish I could get in McNair's mind. I hope the Texans success has raised the bar, meaning no more mediocre crap from this particular coach.

Maddict5
02-20-2012, 06:23 AM

does kubiak really seem like a guy that will coast or take things easy if hes given a contract?

Double Barrel
02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Through what I perceive as McNair's perspective, Kubiak has earned an extension with an AFCS title and playoff win at Reliant.

I've got no problem with it. Not my money. Just keep winning! :texflag:

thunderkyss
02-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Through what I perceive as McNair's perspective, Kubiak has earned an extension with an AFCS title and playoff win at Reliant.

I've got no problem with it. Not my money. Just keep winning! :texflag:

But there was no parade in H-Town.

You should expect more, like me, the Uberfan.

:kitten:
JiC

Double Barrel
02-20-2012, 11:53 AM
But there was no parade in H-Town.

You should expect more, like me, the Uberfan.

JiC

Like I said, "Through what I perceive as McNair's perspective...". :shades:

My perspective is let him coach a lame duck season and see how it plays out. He's a big boy, he can handle it.

But McNair's M.O. is likely to give him an extension before the 2012 season.

Mr teX
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Like I said, "Through what I perceive as McNair's perspective...". :shades:

My perspective is let him coach a lame duck season and see how it plays out. He's a big boy, he can handle it.

But McNair's M.O. is likely to give him an extension before the 2012 season.

I'd be fine with this as well. Does anyone know how coaches salaries fare in to the salary cap, if at all? That would really solidify my stance on letting him coach on a lame duck contract. We'd need that money to sign key FA's.

thunderkyss
02-20-2012, 12:01 PM
I'd be fine with this as well. Does anyone know how coaches salaries fare in to the salary cap, if at all? That would really solidify my stance on letting him coach on a lame duck contract. We'd need that money to sign key FA's.

Coaches salaries are not counted at all to the cap.

However, the longer the contract, the longer McNair actually has to pay him if he was released prematurely. Depending on contract details of course.

Dutchrudder
02-20-2012, 02:22 PM
He's already the highest paid D co isn't he? Not 100% sure on that but seem to remember reading it.

For me, I don't want Bob to extend Kubes this season, give him the pressure to succeed again next season and don't set yourself up for a fall.

That said, I think he probably will get extended, and I won't be that upset if he does, but if next season is a big step back, it'll be a huge disappointment to me.

I have read that as well, but I don't believe it. He makes 700k a year according to Kuharsky:

A source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Phillips' deal is worth $2.1 million over three years. The contract makes Phillips the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848

From a 2005 article:

Top agents estimate about 15 coordinators will earn $1 million or more this season. In 2001, according to a survey by the NFL Coaches Association (NFLCA), the average pay for coordinators was less than $350,000.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-08-11-nfl-notes_x.htm

I can't find public numbers for coordinators, but I have a hard time believing that every DC and OC around the league is making under 700k, when head coaches are making anywhere from 2-8 million a year. Their salaries don't count against the salary cap, so it shouldn't be difficult to pay great coordinators 1-2 million a year to make them happy and prevent them from getting poached. It's really quite a small amount when you consider most teams spent 110-120 million on their players last year. Plus, the Texans merchandise sales rocketed upwards last year, I'm sure they could afford giving Wade 1 mill a year over the next 3 years.

thunderkyss
02-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Back in the day, Gregg Williams got $7.8M for 3 years (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133321). I'm trying to find numbers on his Saints' contract... Wade was hired when Williams was with the Saints & it was reported then, that Wade was the highest paid DC at that time.

amazing80
02-20-2012, 04:49 PM
I would sign him to a better deal. Our offense has always been great, it was always the defense with him. Now our defense is great and we have a great DC, no reason NOT to sign him to a better deal.

Insideop
02-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I wish I could get in McNair's mind. I hope the Texans success has raised the bar, meaning no more mediocre crap from this particular coach.

McNair has said, on more than one occasion, that he wants an organization/team like the Steelers. What that means is stability with the coaches and players. Build a winning team through the draft. Don't sign too many FA's unless they're your own. Hire good coaches and keep them if possible. Not saying that he has made all the right moves but I think that's what he wants to do. Remember, McNair didn't have an NFL background when he got the team. He's learned on the job, just like Kubes. :shades:

Lucky
02-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Wouldn't free agents want to know the long term situation of a coach they were to play for? I would have thought an announcement on a new contract would be very soon.
And it could be announced soon. As DocBar suggested, I think the Texas will re-sign their own free agents prior to the beginning of the free agency period (as they are allowed). I don't think Kubiak wants the players to have the perception that he's getting his money first. Though, one really has nothing to do with the other.

What is wrong with producing another winning season to get an extension?
I don't have a problem with that. I just know that McNair would. And to be honest, Kubiak doesn't come across as a guy who thrive in a pressure situation such as coaching for a contract. To me, it's a foregone conclusion that he's extended.

Texecutioner
02-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Shouldn't the more proper question be?

Wade: extension??

You guys got the wrong coach.

infantrycak
02-21-2012, 12:45 AM
I have read that as well, but I don't believe it. He makes 700k a year according to Kuharsky:

Seen that link before and I think Kuharsky misspoke and it was a deal which averaged $2.1 mil over 3 years. I can see someone turning down a $3 millish job for $2.1, not for $700k. Plus the other reported factors of highest paid DC, etc.

ArlingtonTexan
02-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Seen that link before and I think Kuharsky misspoke and it was a deal which averaged $2.1 mil over 3 years. I can see someone turning down a $3 millish job for $2.1, not for $700k. Plus the other reported factors of highest paid DC, etc.

The last time this came up I hunted several things down and it was obvious that it was miswritten by Kuharsky, but for some reason has been repeated by several sites/authors. One of those included someone who listed $700,000 Wade as highest paid coordinator and the later said the average coordinator made over $800,000.

Playoffs
05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Bob McNair plans to give contract extensions to Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith (http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/07/bob-mcnair-plans-to-give-contract-extensions-to-gary-kubiak-rick-smith/)

Texans chairman and CEO Bob McNair said Tuesday that he plans to start working on contract extensions for head coach Gary Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith, whose contracts expire after the 2012 season.

McNair said he does not have a timetable for completing the extensions. He will likely meet with Kubiak first and Smith second.

“We’ll start working on that,” McNair said at the Texans’ 10th annual Charity Golf Classic. “I think they’ve done an outstanding job. I’m pleased with ‘em, and if that wasn’t the case, we wouldn’t be extending ‘em.”

Kubiak and Smith have both been with the Texans since 2006. Kubiak signed a two-year extension after the 2010 season. Smith signed a four-year extension in 2008.

GNTLEWOLF
05-07-2012, 01:44 PM

What's Garys record?

If Wade leaves I full expect Gary to return to the same old Gary. Gary has learned on the Job. But my qeustion to you is why did it take him 6 yrs to learn and why did he suddenly become some great mind/HC after Wade joined the staff? Does Gary have a learning disability? 6 yrs really?

This! But as you also said, gary will get the extension, then we will be stuck with him win or lose for eternity....

badboy
05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Would be nice if McNair could just keep adding one year in a roll over. IIRC, there was a famous college coach that was extended that way. Hard to find one to agree when they can go easily other teams with good pay.

Marcus
05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Why is McNair's perspective on the team "mysterious"??

I've read that a couple of times on this thread, and I don't understand that. He said he wants to build the team like the Steelers, so ...... what's this "mysterious" bit?

welsh texan
05-07-2012, 02:37 PM
As confident I am going into next season, I really don't like the idea of McNair giving Smithiak another 2 years (making them contracted for the next 3).

A deep playoff run next season is expected, the talent they have, the coaching they have on D, it makes it a minimum, so why sign them up again before they've achieved it?

Also, we can't be 100% sure how well they've handled the cap just yet, I'm sure McNair has a better idea from his position, but if they fail on the field this season, and it turns out that all our top talent is going to walk over the next year or two due to poor cap management, hows that extension going to look then?

On the other hand am I right in thinking being a coach in the last year of your contract in the NFL kind of puts you in a weak position in the locker room?

The Pencil Neck
05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
As confident I am going into next season, I really don't like the idea of McNair giving Smithiak another 2 years (making them contracted for the next 3).

A deep playoff run next season is expected, the talent they have, the coaching they have on D, it makes it a minimum, so why sign them up again before they've achieved it?

Also, we can't be 100% sure how well they've handled the cap just yet, I'm sure McNair has a better idea from his position, but if they fail on the field this season, and it turns out that all our top talent is going to walk over the next year or two due to poor cap management, hows that extension going to look then?

On the other hand am I right in thinking being a coach in the last year of your contract in the NFL kind of puts you in a weak position in the locker room?

Contracts in this league don't mean much of anything. People act like we're stuck with the guys if they have contracts with us. If they don't perform up to their contracts, I have no doubt McNair will ditch them.

But you talk about all the talent this team has... where did that come from? The fact that we've grown and developed to a point where we're so talented that we're expected to make the playoffs, win in the playoffs, and at least threaten to go to a SB means something went right. And that's when you extend someone's contract.

The whole thing may come crashing down. And if that happens, they'll get fired.

EllisUnit
05-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I understand this is just a formality & doesn't really mean that much. If McNair extends Kubiak for one year, through the 2013 season, he's still toast if he drastically under performs Bob's expectations.

What Bob's expectations are, are a complete mystery to most of us, so let's not go down that road.

The length of the extension is the only thing that means anything to anybody. The longer the extension, the greater Bob's exposure.

I personally don't believe Kubiak has earned anything more than a year. But we'll see how close Kubiak got to McNair's expectations soon enough.

I think Kubiak is probably the best locker room coach in the league short of The Hoody or Coughlin.... but he leaves a lot to be desired on the sideline. I think he is improving & I would have been perfectly fine with a real extension had he handled the Baltimore game the way he handled every game since Carolina..... cautious, safe, taking calculated Risks.... but Baltimore in the divisional round he was too cavalier for me, & I don't understand why.

You must not remember the sideline walking dead we had in Capers. Atleast Kubiak will scream and show some emotion, see him up in a refs face a few times.

Marcus
05-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I realize everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'm beginning to think that Kubiak is damaged goods around here. They could go on to win 5 Super Bowls in a row, and the prevailing thought would be that won them in spite of him.

If I didn't know any better, I swear from all the negativity and cynicism that I'm reading, we finished the season with a 4-12 record.

I mean, this guy deserves not one lick of credit whatsoever? Really?

Like I said earlier, I just don't understand it.

Texecutioner
05-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I realize everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'm beginning to think that Kubiak is damaged goods around here. They could go on to win 5 Super Bowls in a row, and the prevailing thought would be that won them in spite of him.

If I didn't know any better, I swear from all the negativity and cynicism that I'm reading, we finished the season with a 4-12 record.

47-49

And wake me up when he wins 5 SB's, and then you can write a post like this. Until than the facts are that Smithiak hasn't even been average, but carry on with the exaggeration and hyperbole that is way over the top as usual Marcus.

TexansBull
05-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Kubiak doesnt have the season or the draft he had last year without Wade. Wade was a difference maker.

But how the locker room stayed together with all the adversity they had was pretty impressive. I put that on a mixture of things, but Kubes did help keep the team together somehow.

If I were to award him with an extension, I would make sure to lock down Wade too. Get him a 20 year old intern or something for the next 5 years. They are a good pair.

Nawzer
05-07-2012, 07:50 PM
I give Kubiak a lot of credit for keeping us on track with guys dropping like flies left and right. I still don't like him as a head coach, but I wish him continued success.

gary
05-07-2012, 07:56 PM
If Gary and Wade win the Superbowl then fans might wonder what his record would be by now if not for Smith and Bush who are not a good DC but he wanted both of them.

Dash
05-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Contracts in this league don't mean much of anything. People act like we're stuck with the guys if they have contracts with us. If they don't perform up to their contracts, I have no doubt McNair will ditch them.

But you talk about all the talent this team has... where did that come from? The fact that we've grown and developed to a point where we're so talented that we're expected to make the playoffs, win in the playoffs, and at least threaten to go to a SB means something went right. And that's when you extend someone's contract.

Likely because a 2nd successful season, one that could potentially lead us to a Super Bowl run, is going to raise the stock of Gary Kubiak significantly especially as a free agent. In this scenario McNair probably wants to lock him up on a "bargain" price. If its a 2 year extension then I can live with it.

Lucky
05-08-2012, 06:50 AM
If I were to award him with an extension, I would make sure to lock down Wade too.
Can't really "lock down" Wade. If he gets a head coaching offer, he's gone. Doubt that happens though.

Did he deserve "credit" for the 6-10 season? One playoff season in six is a poor record. Two in seven will look much better.

And that's when you extend someone's contract.

Contract's get extended just before they're about to expire. If Kubiak still had 2 years left, there wouldn't be talk of an extension. McNair's not going to allow Kubiak to coach on a lame duck contract. This extension is more about timing than success.
If its a 2 year extension then I can live with it.
Right. It will likely be a contract that runs through 2014.

Thorn
05-08-2012, 08:13 AM
The Texans had a good year last year, and will again this year because of Wade's defense. Without Wade coming in, the Texans likly would not have had that great of a year last year and Kubiak would be gone by now. Wade is saving the entire organization right now, from top to bottom. When he leaves, and if someone left behind can't take over his defense, then we're right back where we started with Kubiak. Which is extreme Mediocresville.

welsh texan
05-08-2012, 08:20 AM

Undoubtedly it was Smithiak that put that talent there, but really, how much better was the talent available last year than the previous 2 or 3 years? We added maybe 4 key starters but lost quite a few through injury.

They didn't make the playoffs in any of those seasons, despite being picked to by the media before the season started.

I give them plenty of credit for their part in the success they've had, its just I want sustained success from my team, not every other year or when the stars align or whatever, and they haven't always got the most out of the talent they've had.

On the side about not being stuck with them just because they're contracted, well I'm not too sure I agree there, would McNair fire these guys next season if he had to pay them 2 years wages as well as whoever he brought in?

I'm not exactly upset about an extension, just a little apprehensive, seems when they're on the hotseat they perform and when they've got a shiny new extension they start planning for the season when they are on the hotseat rather than being in win-now mode all the time.

I hope this post looks really silly in a years time though.

cuppacoffee
05-08-2012, 08:48 AM
47-49? Any discussion of an extension is out of line and ridiculous.

44-61 (first 7 years)

This coach should never have been extended either.

:coffee:

Dutchrudder
05-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Kubiak doesnt have the season or the draft he had last year without Wade. Wade was a difference maker.

But how the locker room stayed together with all the adversity they had was pretty impressive. I put that on a mixture of things, but Kubes did help keep the team together somehow.

If I were to award him with an extension, I would make sure to lock down Wade too. Get him a 20 year old intern or something for the next 5 years. They are a good pair.

I don't think that's a good idea, he is an old man and his heart might give out.

disaacks3
05-08-2012, 09:06 AM
The fact that we've grown and developed to a point where we're so talented that we're expected to make the playoffs, win in the playoffs, and at least threaten to go to a SB means something went right. And that's when you extend someone's contract.

The whole thing may come crashing down. And if that happens, they'll get fired. So, what if we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs with a couple of key injuries, or the changes to the O-line don't gel? I see McNair staying the course if it isn't abject failure. I'd prefer NOT to extend yet, in order to keep those fires burning under Kubiak.

Like I said earlier, I just don't understand it. As previously stated, his overall record isn't that good. He wanted those lousy DCs we had prior to Wade. We've made the playoffs exactly ONCE. I gove Kubiak as much credit for holding it all together last year as I give him for his lousy record. In totality, he's not that good...YET. I'm willing to give him another couple of years to see if he can make it happen again, but extending him now might send the wrong message.

gary
05-08-2012, 09:38 AM
It just makes me ask if Bob said go get Wade.

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2012, 09:42 AM
It just makes me ask if Bob said go get Wade.

I think that 'he did' is pretty much the consensus opinion.

aussie_texan
05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
So, what if we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs with a couple of key injuries, or the changes to the O-line don't gel? I see McNair staying the course if it isn't abject failure. I'd prefer NOT to extend yet, in order to keep those fires burning under Kubiak.

As previously stated, his overall record isn't that good. He wanted those lousy DCs we had prior to Wade. We've made the playoffs exactly ONCE. I gove Kubiak as much credit for holding it all together last year as I give him for his lousy record. In totality, he's not that good...YET. I'm willing to give him another couple of years to see if he can make it happen again, but extending him now might send the wrong message.

i don't think kubes is the type of person one needs an impending firing or contract to keep him motivated.

and it might be the right message, it takes years to build a Super Bowl team and even more so when its an expansion team.
Continuity is key and i think McNair is doing the right thing.
just my 2cents

steelbtexan
05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
i don't think kubes is the type of person one needs an impending firing or contract to keep him motivated.

and it might be the right message, it takes years to build a Super Bowl team and even more so when its an expansion team.
Continuity is key and i think McNair is doing the right thing.
just my 2cents

Rick/Gary trumpet the 9-7 season, Gary misses the combine for an elective surgery, Rick/Gary select KJ in the draft the Texans finish 6-10. Gary needs to remain on the hot seat.

BoB orderes Wade to be hired, the team has a great defensive draft, the defense goes from historically bad to top 5.

Wade was the main reason for the great draft and the improvement of the Texans. That and the fact that the Divisions starting QB's were Painter/Orlovsky, Gabbert, Elderly Hasslebeck/Locker.

Hagar
05-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm glad to hear that McNair is taking care of Kubes and Smith. I also hope that when the time comes, McNair takes care of Wade too. Combined the trio make a fine front office and coaching staff. One guy can't do it all.

badboy
05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm glad to hear that McNair is taking care of Kubes and Smith. I also hope that when the time comes, McNair takes care of Wade too. Combined the trio make a fine front office and coaching staff. One guy can't do it all.Bob is a smart business man who has to realize he has no "next man up" behind Wade. We saw what we saw when Phillips was out late season.

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Bob is a smart business man who has to realize he has no "next man up" behind Wade. We saw what we saw when Phillips was out late season.

Yeah.

If Wade's not the highest paid coordinator, he needs to be made the highest paid coordinator. I know he wants to be a head coach somewhere but I want to keep him here as our DC.

thunderkyss
05-08-2012, 02:52 PM

Why is McNair's perspective on the team "mysterious"??

I've read that a couple of times on this thread, and I don't understand that. He said he wants to build the team like the Steelers, so ...... what's this "mysterious" bit?

I said expectations... not perspective. I don't think anyone's said anything about his perspective.

I agree some of the rhetoric we share when discussing Kubiak goes a little far. But it's pretty much the same for all our players, Jacoby... ?? Kareem?

But it's not like it's all one sided, the man has his critics & his fans, those that think he can do no wrong.

phantom17
05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
The Texans had a good year last year, and will again this year because of Wade's defense. Without Wade coming in, the Texans likly would not have had that great of a year last year and Kubiak would be gone by now. Wade is saving the entire organization right now, from top to bottom. When he leaves, and if someone left behind can't take over his defense, then we're right back where we started with Kubiak. Which is extreme Mediocresville.

Thorn- yep! I agree! Without Wade & his D, Kubes ass is canned!

bckey
05-09-2012, 03:49 PM

I absolutely hate this argument and it came up last time Kubiak was up for an extension. There is nothing wrong with Kubiak coaching the last year of his contract without an extension. Players might worry about coming to Houston or resigning here if it was the end of Kubiaks 1st contract and he had only been here a few years. Let him coach into the season and see how it goes. Kubiak still has a losing record as a head coach and the argument can be made that Wade Philips is the only reason the Texans made the playoffs even in an aweful AFC south division.

The Eagles let Andy Reid coach his final contract year without an extension and it seems to have worked out just fine for him. Quit the coddling of this man and let him earn the extension. His current record as a head coach is 47-49 and 1-1 in the playoffs. That is mediocre. Most fans of the Texans only want Kubiak as long as he is tied to Wade. Well Wade could bail after the season like he almost did this year and then what. What is wrong with a wait and see approach?

I've linked a couple of articles about giving or not to give Kubiak an extension.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177495-houstons-gary-kubiak-does-not-deserve-a-contract-extension?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=houston-texans

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/05/kubiak-deserves-to-be-paid-%e2%80%a6-with-somebody-else%e2%80%99s-money/

badboy
05-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I absolutely hate this argument and it came up last time Kubiak was up for an extension. There is nothing wrong with Kubiak coaching the last year of his contract without an extension. Players might worry about coming to Houston or resigning here if it was the end of Kubiaks 1st contract and he had only been here a few years. Let him coach into the season and see how it goes. Kubiak still has a losing record as a head coach and the argument can be made that Wade Philips is the only reason the Texans made the playoffs even in an aweful AFC south division.

The Eagles let Andy Reid coach his final contract year without an extension and it seems to have worked out just fine for him. Quit the coddling of this man and let him earn the extension. His current record as a head coach is 47-49 and 1-1 in the playoffs. That is mediocre. Most fans of the Texans only want Kubiak as long as he is tied to Wade. Well Wade could bail after the season like he almost did this year and then what. What is wrong with a wait and see approach?

I've linked a couple of articles about giving or not to give Kubiak an extension.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177495-houstons-gary-kubiak-does-not-deserve-a-contract-extension?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=houston-texans

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/05/kubiak-deserves-to-be-paid-%e2%80%a6-with-somebody-else%e2%80%99s-money/You do stand the risk of Gary going elsewhere & you might be okay with that not everyone is. I don't think we can get a better quality coach for same Gary is making. Of course there is Wade Phillips. :dancer:

Dutchrudder
05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
You do stand the risk of Gary going elsewhere & you might be okay with that not everyone is. I don't think we can get a better quality coach for same Gary is making. Of course there is Wade Phillips. :dancer:

There is no fear of Kubiak leaving. He's making 5 million a year right now and nobody is going to outbid us for him. He loves Bob and Rick, and I don't think he would trade them for any team out there besides maybe the Broncos.

If he gets an extension, it will be a reward for the teams success in 2011. Although, I hope they don't give it to him until midway through the season.

badboy
05-09-2012, 09:11 PM
What about Oakland as a landing spot?

Dutchrudder
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
What about Oakland as a landing spot?

You think he would prefer Carson Palmer and Lienart over Schaub and Yates? I think Oakland would have to offer him top dollar, 7+ a year, to entice him to leave Houston. Kubes is about the 10-15th highest paid coach in the league, so it would take a lot to make him leave.

badboy
05-09-2012, 10:06 PM
You think he would prefer Carson Palmer and Lienart over Schaub and Yates? I think Oakland would have to offer him top dollar, 7+ a year, to entice him to leave Houston. Kubes is about the 10-15th highest paid coach in the league, so it would take a lot to make him leave.Not predicting just saying, Oakland needs to get back into the game. Daddy rabbit's gone & team needs to spend money & make splash getting attention of a positive nature. Maybe Tyler Wilson from Arkansas and $8m per year? I think Palmer could be traded mid season for a vet to fill another Raider need.

Thorn
05-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Why on Earth would Kubiak leave? He's one of only 32 men on the planet that has a head coaching job in the NFL. In his home town yet. He's not going anywhere unless he forced out.

badboy
05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Here is a link from Jeremy Solomon onletting Kubiak go. Quick scanned forum but did not see it posted. From May 8th:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/05/kubiak-deserves-to-be-paid-%E2%80%A6-with-somebody-else%E2%80%99s-money/

McNair’s challenge is to keep the extensions at a manageable length so that he won’t hesitate to pull the trigger if the time does come that he has to make a move.

What? Are you talking about firing the head coach or general manager after the team just had its best season and made the playoffs for the first time, King?

Well, yeah.

What would you do if the Texans go 8-8 or 6-10 and don’t make the playoffs this season? Well, I know what I would do. I also know what McNair will be reluctant to do after he signs them to huge three- or four-year-extensions

See link above for full article

thunderkyss
05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
JeromeWhat? Are you talking about firing the head coach or general manager after the team just had its best season and made the playoffs for the first time, King?

Well, yeah.

What would you do if the Texans go 8-8 or 6-10 and don’t make the playoffs this season? Well, I know what I would do. I also know what McNair will be reluctant to do after he signs them to huge three- or four-year-extensions

Both the Jets & the Bears were in the NFC championship game, in 2010, both were 8-8 in 2011. Is that because the coaches suck? Or because the teams were dealing with other issues?

& the Bears especially should have known better, seeing how Lovie went 7-9 the year following their Super Bowl appearance.

badboy
05-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Both the Jets & the Bears were in the NFC championship game, in 2010, both were 8-8 in 2011. Is that because the coaches suck? Or because the teams were dealing with other issues?

& the Bears especially should have known better, seeing how Lovie went 7-9 the year following their Super Bowl appearance.

Interesting that Jets turned down offer to be on the hard knocks program.

Texecutioner
05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
You do stand the risk of Gary going elsewhere & you might be okay with that not everyone is. I don't think we can get a better quality coach for same Gary is making. Of course there is Wade Phillips. :dancer:

Really? Please name one team that would likely go after Kubiak that isn't Denver? ANd give me a legit source for this reasoning or something substantial to suggest that Kubiak could leave, because he is some sort of commodity out there. There has never been any strong interest in Kubiak as a HC anywhere else since he came here other than in Denver for obvious reasons. And Denver wouldn't even hire him right now, as they seem pretty happy with who they got.

drs23
05-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Really? Please name one team that would likely go after Kubiak that isn't Denver? ANd give me a legit source for this reasoning or something substantial to suggest that Kubiak could leave, because he is some sort of commodity out there. There has never been any strong interest in Kubiak as a HC anywhere else since he came here other than in Denver for obvious reasons. And Denver wouldn't even hire him right now, as they seem pretty happy with who they got.

Oakland? :hides:

thunderkyss
05-14-2012, 06:16 PM

I don't know. Looking at what we've got in Houston right now, I'd be interested if I were one of the handful of teams that have been on the coaching carousel for years now with nothing to show for it.

Granted, 1 good season does not an organization make, but looking at the Texans, I see a core that should help the team towards many good seasons to come. So if I'm Miami, Cleveland, Oakland, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St Louis, & Buffalo.... if I've got nothing to show at the end of the season, Kubiak may look pretty tempting.

Of course, this is from my perspective. I have no idea what any of those teams are thinking. But asking me to prove there is interest would be like asking you to prove there isn't.

Dom Capers got a second chance. So did Chan Gailey & countless other HCs... many who shouldn't have.

drs23
05-14-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't know. Looking at what we've got in Houston right now, I'd be interested if I were one of the handful of teams that have been on the coaching carousel for years now with nothing to show for it.

Granted, 1 good season does not an organization make, but looking at the Texans, I see a core that should help the team towards many good seasons to come. So if I'm Miami, Cleveland, Oakland, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St Louis, & Buffalo.... if I've got nothing to show at the end of the season, Kubiak may look pretty tempting.

Of course, this is from my perspective. I have no idea what any of those teams are thinking. But asking me to prove there is interest would be like asking you to prove there isn't.

Dom Capers got a second chance. So did Chan Gailey & countless other HCs... many who shouldn't have.

A different perspective and a legitimate one as well. We all know that McNair is all about not rocking the boat. I think we'll see his perseverance pay off in the long haul, which is what the man is looking for.

Guess we'll find out how steadfast he is willing to be in his approach when we find out what Kube's and Rick Smith's extensions turn out to be.

We should find out shortly.

Corrosion
05-14-2012, 07:00 PM
I'd prefer NOT to extend yet, in order to keep those fires burning under Kubiak.

, but extending him now might send the wrong message.

Just want to address these two statements ....

Gary is one of the hardest working guy's around .... He kinda reminds me of Jeff Van Grumpy. Attention to detail and work ethic are things we need not concern ourselves with when it comes to Gary .... Its just the way he's wired. He's a workaholic .... no other way to describe the man.

He might make some mistakes or poor decisions but .... those fires will be burning until the lights go out.

badboy
05-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Really? Please name one team that would likely go after Kubiak that isn't Denver? ANd give me a legit source for this reasoning or something substantial to suggest that Kubiak could leave, because he is some sort of commodity out there. There has never been any strong interest in Kubiak as a HC anywhere else since he came here other than in Denver for obvious reasons. And Denver wouldn't even hire him right now, as they seem pretty happy with who they got.Miami or Oakland or how about Colts? Pagano a defensive coach will do nothing for Luck and Arians got run off from Pittsburgh. If I had a team that needed to make a decent turn around especially if I had a QB that needed guidance, Kubiak would be high on my list.

You want a source for my opinion? lol

powda
05-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Really? Please name one team that would likely go after Kubiak that isn't Denver?

Kubiak was a hot name for job openings for years prior to working with the Texans. You might also remember he was pretty selective for whom he intrerviewed.Its misguided to ask what team would hire him now. Its freaking may and all head coaching vacancies are filled.

Sure there are doubts about him as a head coach but few for him as one of the best offensive minds in the game. Thats a rare commodity. You want a list of teams who'd have an interest in him? Check every team with a poor offense.

I wont argue any other team starts a head coach bidding war if we dont extend him, but i will say within a week of being fired he'd hear from a dozen teams trying to hire him in one capacity or another.

Corrosion
05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Would other teams be interested in Gary ? Sure they would ....

But here it is in a nutshell ..... Gary's coaching an NFL team one of only 32 men on the planet with such a job .... Doing it in his hometown is icing on the cake. Name another NFL coach who leads his hometown team ?

He aint leaving till they make him leave.

My best VY impersonation: "Dream Job" :hurrah:

powda
05-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Would other teams be interested in Gary ? Sure they would ....

But here it is in a nutshell ..... Gary's coaching an NFL team one of only 32 men on the planet with such a job .... Doing it in his hometown is icing on the cake. Name another NFL coach who leads his hometown team?

The point is he has more value then some people seem willing to believe. When you talk about icing dont forget he surely played a strong role in picking his own Gm.

Maddict5
05-15-2012, 04:59 AM
Rick/Gary trumpet the 9-7 season, Gary misses the combine for an elective surgery, Rick/Gary select KJ in the draft the Texans finish 6-10. Gary needs to remain on the hot seat.

BoB orderes Wade to be hired, the team has a great defensive draft, the defense goes from historically bad to top 5.

Wade was the main reason for the great draft and the improvement of the Texans. That and the fact that the Divisions starting QB's were Painter/Orlovsky, Gabbert, Elderly Hasslebeck/Locker.

objective as always :rolleyes:

not to go back over old ground but where was wade in 09? you know when we picked cushing, barwin, quin, brice mccain (and even troy nolan)? thats a great defensive draft with both impact players and important role players

-2011 draft to date is a beast first rounder, a promising (but to date only decent play-wise) olb and...... oh ya thats it so far

also look at the options available at #20 in 2010 (which looks like a poor draft overall tbh) v the options available at #11 in 2011 where nearly all the top rookies have had awesome first years whereas you'll struggle to find an impact player in the first round after the top 15

Maddict5
05-15-2012, 05:03 AM
btw this isnt me not giving wade credit because he did an amazing job with the defence... just like kubiak did with the offence. we dont have the season we had without EITHER of them

just be wary of giving all the credit to one or the other ;)

GP
05-15-2012, 09:04 AM
No extension until mid season.

And if for some reason Kubiak leaves, there's a guy named Kyle Shanahan who would be on McNair's short list to be the next HC.

Yes, he's young. But he knows the offense and he'd be the quickest headache pill we could take for a Kubiak hangover if Kubiak walked.

And if Dennison could stay, and not follow Kubiak, I think Shanny Jr. would do just fine. The WRs loved Kyle when he was here...and the passing game was a lot more dynamic too. TexansChick documented how smart Kyle is in terms of understanding this offense and how he handles players.

Blake
05-15-2012, 09:16 AM
No extension until mid season.

And if for some reason Kubiak leaves, there's a guy named Kyle Shanahan who would be on McNair's short list to be the next HC.

Yes, he's young. But he knows the offense and he'd be the quickest headache pill we could take for a Kubiak hangover if Kubiak walked.

And if Dennison could stay, and not follow Kubiak, I think Shanny Jr. would do just fine. The WRs loved Kyle when he was here...and the passing game was a lot more dynamic too. TexansChick documented how smart Kyle is in terms of understanding this offense and how he handles players.

The same Kyle Shanahan that wanted to draft John Beck #10 overall in 2007?

GP
05-15-2012, 09:49 AM

Oh yes, because that means he's the only one who has ever mis-identified a QB in the NFL.

Care to offer more reasons than just that one?

Kyle could do a lot with Yates and Keenum. Kyle has been raised in the ZBS run game and the patented Shanahan/Kubiak passing system. If there is, for whatever reason, a Kubiak departure...he would make sense.

If RGIII blows up and the Redskins do really well, there will be lots of eyes watching Kyle Shanahan and his handling of the offense. I expect Kubiak to be re-signed though, just saying there is a Wal-Mart brand of Kubiak we could test out if the brand name product were to be taken off the shelves.

Blake
05-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Oh yes, because that means he's the only one who has ever mis-identified a QB in the NFL.

Care to offer more reasons than just that one?

Kyle could do a lot with Yates and Keenum. Kyle has been raised in the ZBS run game and the patented Shanahan/Kubiak passing system. If there is, for whatever reason, a Kubiak departure...he would make sense.

If RGIII blows up and the Redskins do really well, there will be lots of eyes watching Kyle Shanahan and his handling of the offense. I expect Kubiak to be re-signed though, just saying there is a Wal-Mart brand of Kubiak we could test out if the brand name product were to be taken off the shelves.

I dont have to offer more reasons. The dude wanted to draft JOHN BECK #10. Nuff said.

http://images.tbd.com/sports/beck-ap-010611_606.jpg

Thorn
05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
This will be the 7th season with Kubiak. During the first six years we had two winning seasons and one playoff season. The only time this team has showed any true fire and spirit was AFTER Wade Philips arrived.

So if I don't go jumping on the Kubiak wagon just yet, yall will just have to get over it. I don't want Wade as head coach by any means, and I'm quite happy right now with the circumstances as they are, because they seem to be working. My fear is what happens when Wade leaves. Kubiak has done NOTHING in his career to show me he can handle the job without someone like Wade propping him up.

The Pencil Neck
05-15-2012, 12:57 PM
This will be the 7th season with Kubiak. During the first six years we had two winning seasons and one playoff season. The only time this team has showed any true fire and spirit was AFTER Wade Philips arrived.

So if I don't go jumping on the Kubiak wagon just yet, yall will just have to get over it. I don't want Wade as head coach by any means, and I'm quite happy right now with the circumstances as they are, because they seem to be working. My fear is what happens when Wade leaves. Kubiak has done NOTHING in his career to show me he can handle the job without someone like Wade propping him up.

I partially disagree and it's more of a semantic thing than anything else.

I think this team has shown fire and spirit and has worked hard for Kubiak in the past. The problem has been with Smithiak's choice of defensive coordinators AND Kubiak's desire to slant the practices in the favor of the offense. With Wade, we finally got a good defensive coordinator and he wouldn't go along with practices being slanted in the offense's favor.

My fear is Wade leaving and then another inexperienced position coach being promoted into his spot... and that new DC failing miserably. That being said, I really like Vance Joseph and I wouldn't mind too much if he was promoted, but I'd be afraid he'd fail in the position.

powda
05-15-2012, 02:24 PM

I remember Kshan liked Beck but I never heard anything about him wanting to draft Beck #10 overall. Thats kinda hard to believe. link?

GP
05-15-2012, 02:34 PM
I dont have to offer more reasons. The dude wanted to draft JOHN BECK #10. Nuff said.

So that's it? He makes a remark about the past and that indicts him as being unfit to be a head coach some day.

Hmm. I guess he would become the first Texans HC to make unilateral player choices in the Texans organization? Because, by the way, that's not how Bob and Rick roll. It's a collective decision making group, and that would not change with a new HC.

If we've learned anything, by now, it's that this team is not ran like the old Shanahan/Denver days when Mike Shanahan was both GM and HC. The Texans don't operate the way you suggest in a way where Kyle would unilaterally select his starting QB from the draft.

Therefore, Shanahan Jr. saying he liked Beck at #10 does not disqualify him from a future HC role somewhere. If it shows anything, he's candid about his past opinions and shows he's human like any other NFL person out there. 98% of the NFL world thought Houston was dumb for not picking Reggie Bush. People get player selection/projection wrong sometimes. They rarely lose their touch on how to teach or manage the game itself (See: Wade Phillips as a d-coord).

ChampionTexan
05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
I remember Kshan liked Beck but I never heard anything about him wanting to draft Beck #10 overall. Thats kinda hard to believe. link?

It was just something li'l Shanny was spouting off about when Washington originally signed Beck in order to justify the signing...

Kyle Shanahan told King during his ongoing, 24-team camp tour. “So they asked me who I’d pick if I had the 10th pick in the draft. I told them Beck. They said he’s not worth the 10th pick in the draft. I was standing on the table for him.LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/08/kyle-shanahan-says-he-wanted-texans-to-take-john-beck-with-10th-pick-in-2007-draft/)

But it might not have really been the case...
Texand G.M. Rick Smith didn’t recall it that way, but why let facts get in the way of rationalizing an ultimately failed strategy?
LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/09/on-john-beck-texans-finally-listen-to-kyle-shanahan/)

GP
05-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Whoever made the Amobi Okoye selection...whichever guy ultimately won that pick in the war room (through persuasion)...THAT guy, if we follow the same logic, should never be in an NFL war room ever again. However, Okoye had a solid Senior Bowl game and was a DL at a young age they thought would grow and get much better. Oops. A lot of people pegged Amobi as a reach--They were right. A lot of people saw sky-is-the-limit potential--They were wrong. At the end of the day, both those people are still somewhere and have probably made good or bad picks since the Amobi pick.

Guys get player projection wrong a lot. It happens everywhere and more often than it should. It's part of the gig.

What guys DO tend to get right, and stay consistent with, is how they teach or manage the game itself. Dick Lebeau is not suddenly going to lose his touch as one of the best d-coord's in the game. Neither will Wade. The constants that run throughout every GOOD team is that they have people who can identify talent better than others AND utilize that talent for a certain system they know and implement VERY well. Kyle Shanahan knows the ZBS run scheme AND the Kubiak passing game as good as anyone. And when your roster is as stacked for that as ours is, you have to consider it.

Kyle seems to think Beck, at that time, was worth making a run for. Other disagreed with him. It happens. One day, in another war room situation involving the same team personnel, Kyle might have a guy on his board that ends being a total star in the league and others voted it down on draft day.

I just find it curious that Kyle shares a candid comment and suddenly he's a loon bird. I guess that makes Kubiak a loon bird for giving Beck a roster spot before camp even begins.

Double Barrel
05-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Kubiak >>>> lil Shanny :whistle:

We are going to have to accept the simple fact that Gary has at least two more years as Texans HC, and to be quite honest, I hope he's got 10+ more years because 2011 started a long playoff run for this franchise.

I will believe this reality until proven otherwise. Go Texans! :texflag:

GP
05-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Sigh.

Just squeezing this in, for posterity's sake (not squeezing something into a posterior, Texan Bill...get your mind out of the gutter)....

I would rather have Kubiak over Kyle any day. All I am saying is that IF the guy walks away or whatever, I don't want us hiring a HC who wants to change the offense. It works. It's built to last. We'd need a guy who has the oomph! to keep it going, and Kyle has been here before and knows the ropes.

Besides, the real HC would still stay the defacto HC (Wade Phillips) it's just a title thang. :cowboy1:

Blake
05-15-2012, 02:59 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/08/kyle-shanahan-says-he-wanted-texans-to-take-john-beck-with-10th-pick-in-2007-draft/

The Pencil Neck
05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Sigh.

Just squeezing this in, for posterity's sake (not squeezing something into a posterior, Texan Bill...get your mind out of the gutter)....

I would rather have Kubiak over Kyle any day. All I am saying is that IF the guy walks away or whatever, I don't want us hiring a HC who wants to change the offense. It works. It's built to last. We'd need a guy who has the oomph! to keep it going, and Kyle has been here before and knows the ropes.

Besides, the real HC would still stay the defacto HC (Wade Phillips) it's just a title thang. :cowboy1:

Why would Wade go for that? Serving as the DC under some punk kid?

If Kubiak goes, Wade is either the HC or he's gone. If Kubiak goes, we might be able to persuade Dennison to stay to be able to keep the offense going but that's about it. And if Kubiak goes to another team, he's probably going to want Dennison to come join him. If we've got him under contract, we can deny that.

GP
05-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Why would Wade go for that? Serving as the DC under some punk kid?

If Kubiak goes, Wade is either the HC or he's gone. If Kubiak goes, we might be able to persuade Dennison to stay to be able to keep the offense going but that's about it. And if Kubiak goes to another team, he's probably going to want Dennison to come join him. If we've got him under contract, we can deny that.

Wade is already HC. I thought I made that clear.

When Kyle speaks, you'll see Wade's hand behind Kyle's back. Duh.

Wade will learn that being Bob's permanent DC is where it's at. It's the life of luxury for a guy like him. He just needs time to learn that.

The Pencil Neck
05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Wade is already HC. I thought I made that clear.

When Kyle speaks, you'll see Wade's hand behind Kyle's back. Duh.

Wade will learn that being Bob's permanent DC is where it's at. It's the life of luxury for a guy like him. He just needs time to learn that.

lol.

I think you're going to need to send him some bloody Captain America trading cards to give him the nudge in the right direction.

badboy
05-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Sigh.

Besides, the real HC would still stay the defacto HC (Wade Phillips) it's just a title thang. :cowboy1:Other than a change of center & maybe a bigger full back would it take much to go from ZBS to a power scheme?

thunderkyss
05-15-2012, 07:29 PM

On a smaller note, he's only had 2 losing seasons in that time.

powda
05-15-2012, 07:35 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/08/kyle-shanahan-says-he-wanted-texans-to-take-john-beck-with-10th-pick-in-2007-draft/

Wow. My opinion of kshan just took a hit. Didnt know that...rep

Corrosion
05-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Kubiak >>>> lil Shanny :whistle:

We are going to have to accept the simple fact that Gary has at least two more years as Texans HC, and to be quite honest, I hope he's got 10+ more years because 2011 started a long playoff run for this franchise.

I will believe this reality until proven otherwise. Go Texans! :texflag:

Me too ....

Kubiak's here to stay as long as this team is in the thick of things (10+ w's and one or more W's in the playoffs) ..... All this speculating on who would replace him , where he might end up is .... a waste of effort.

Thorn
05-16-2012, 07:50 AM
On a smaller note, he's only had 2 losing seasons in that time.

You should seriously consider politics for a living! :lol:

But, you are right. He's had two losing seasons, two 8-8 seasons, and two winning seasons. Which makes him perfect arguing material for fans. :slapfight:

thunderkyss
05-23-2012, 12:21 AM

But, you are right. He's had two losing seasons, two 8-8 seasons, and two winning seasons. Which makes him perfect arguing material for fans. :slapfight:

:spin:

It's what I do.

Corrosion
05-23-2012, 03:16 AM

Considering what he had to work with in those two losing seasons .... Its hard not to give him a pass on those.

Then you factor in the two 8-8 seasons ....and think they could have done more.

Last years team was full of injuries yet still pushed the Ravens to the brink.

Lucky
05-23-2012, 06:15 AM
Considering what he had to work with in those two losing seasons .... Its hard not to give him a pass on those.
Why give Kubiak a pass on the 6-10 record of 2010? He had built that team for 5 seasons.

ChampionTexan
06-14-2012, 10:41 AM
No details on the length yet, but it's done - Rick Smith too!
Texans owner Bob McNair has rewarded coach Gary Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith with contract extensions.

Their contracts would have expired after the 2012 season.
LINK (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/06/texans-reward-kubiak-smith-with-contract-extensions/)

badboy
06-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Nice find. I think most have expected this even before McNair announced he would extend both. Details when available will be interesting. Now if he will lock in Wade....

06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/14/texans-give-gary-kubiak-and-rick-smith-contract-extensions/

The terms aren't out yet.

06-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Oops, I didn't see there was a previous thread. Mods, merge or delete as you wish.

ChampionTexan
06-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Per TC, three year extension. That would put Gary under contract through the 2015 season.
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley

Kubiak has 3 year extension at his choice, could have been 4. Rick Smith extended for 4 years per Texans owner Bob McNair.
LINK (https://twitter.com/StephStradley/status/213303875631972353)

HOU-TEX
06-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Wonder why Kubiak only wanted 3 years rather than 4. hmm

Section516
06-14-2012, 11:29 AM
General manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak crafted and fielded a team that made a major breakthrough last season: the Houston Texans’ first trip to the playoffs.

Owner Bob McNair had major faith in both of them, and with that progress and payoff the contract extensions they’ve both gotten are well deserved.

While fielding congratulatory messages, both Smith and Kubiak should make one important stop today in the office of defensive coordinator Wade Phillips to say thanks for his contribution.

They were smart enough to hire him, but the story of the Texans and the job security of Smith and Kubiak could be a far different tale but for the contribution of Phillips in his first year overseeing the defense.

Kubiak is an offensive head coach who calls the plays. Finding the right defensive "head coach" was a must for the franchise. And, coming out of a lockout, Phillips’ transformation of the group into a 3-4 with a real personality was nothing short of phenomenal.

His finger prints were on the draft selections of J.J. Watt and Brooks Reed, great fits for his system who made giant and immediate contributions. He saw how good Brian Cushing could be inside instead of outside. He voted for the plan that brought in Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning.

And, much to the Texans' relief, he took the pay bump McNair gave him late last season to pass on a trip to Tampa Bay to interview for the head coaching job.

Smith and Kubiak deserve applause and credit. I don’t see them as the type to rest on their laurels now. The division is primed for the taking again, and a second division title in the row could indicate that the franchise is only at the start of something big.

Something that might never have really gotten started and might have been scrapped but for Phillips’ contribution.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/37762/smith-kubiak-should-thank-phillips

Texan_Bill
06-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Guys on the radio are speculating that maybe Kubes thinks he may be worth more after that 3rd year is done and didn't want to be locked into the current deal.

Rey
06-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Guys on the radio are speculating that maybe Kubes thinks he may be worth more after that 3rd year is done and didn't want to be locked into the current deal.

Its still interesting that he took the 3 years instead of 4...

Definitely has to be a reason behind it...

steelbtexan
06-14-2012, 11:39 AM
BoBBY loves him some Rick and Gary.

I would've extended them only 1-2 yrs.

Coughlin only got a 3 yr extention and he's won 2 SB's in 5 yrs.

b0ng
06-14-2012, 11:49 AM
The Mara's have wanted to get rid of Coughlin each one of those 5 years. Both SB teams were 9-7 and made inexplicable playoff runs when the talk was about getting rid of the HC going into Wildcard Weekend.

steelbtexan
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
The Mara's have wanted to get rid of Coughlin each one of those 5 years. Both SB teams were 9-7 and made inexplicable playoff runs when the talk was about getting rid of the HC going into Wildcard Weekend.

Agreed

But Coughlin has the rings.

I do believe Gary deserved an extention. But 3 yrs is an awfully long time for a HC that's only 2 yrs removed from a 6-10 season. What happens if Wade gets a HC job next offseason? Can we expect another 6-10?

Rey
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Coughlin only got a 3 yr extention and he's won 2 SB's in 5 yrs.

Coughlin is 65 years old...Kubiak is 50...

I think the oldest coaches in NFL history were both 72...

Me thinks his age has something to do with the length of his extension....Maybe Coughlin and the team discussed it an they thought that would be a good age for him to re-evaluate his career...

GNTLEWOLF
06-14-2012, 12:17 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/14/texans-give-gary-kubiak-and-rick-smith-contract-extensions/

The terms aren't out yet.

Imagine that.....

GNTLEWOLF
06-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Let's se now...what always happens with the Bengals when Marvin Lewis gets an extension...

badboy
06-14-2012, 01:00 PM
General manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak crafted and fielded a team that made a major breakthrough last season: the Houston Texans’ first trip to the playoffs.

Owner Bob McNair had major faith in both of them, and with that progress and payoff the contract extensions they’ve both gotten are well deserved.

While fielding congratulatory messages, both Smith and Kubiak should make one important stop today in the office of defensive coordinator Wade Phillips to say thanks for his contribution.

They were smart enough to hire him, but the story of the Texans and the job security of Smith and Kubiak could be a far different tale but for the contribution of Phillips in his first year overseeing the defense.

Kubiak is an offensive head coach who calls the plays. Finding the right defensive "head coach" was a must for the franchise. And, coming out of a lockout, Phillips’ transformation of the group into a 3-4 with a real personality was nothing short of phenomenal.

His finger prints were on the draft selections of J.J. Watt and Brooks Reed, great fits for his system who made giant and immediate contributions. He saw how good Brian Cushing could be inside instead of outside. He voted for the plan that brought in Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning.

And, much to the Texans' relief, he took the pay bump McNair gave him late last season to pass on a trip to Tampa Bay to interview for the head coaching job.

Smith and Kubiak deserve applause and credit. I don’t see them as the type to rest on their laurels now. The division is primed for the taking again, and a second division title in the row could indicate that the franchise is only at the start of something big.

Something that might never have really gotten started and might have been scrapped but for Phillips’ contribution.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/37762/smith-kubiak-should-thank-phillipsWhat pay bump? I thought Wade was still under his original contract. I must dis-remember (if so, maybe I can pitch for Yankees) but thought Wade decided he wanted to finish what he started and was obligated to Texans? Can someone provide link about this "bump"?

The Pencil Neck
06-14-2012, 01:17 PM
What pay bump? I thought Wade was still under his original contract. I must dis-remember (if so, maybe I can pitch for Yankees) but thought Wade decided he wanted to finish what he started and was obligated to Texans? Can someone provide link about this "bump"?

I had not heard about the bump before.

SheTexan
06-14-2012, 01:20 PM
FOUR more years of RICK SMITH!!!!? Think I just might cry!

So much for my dreams of ever seeing our Texans win this :trophy:

Nawzer
06-14-2012, 02:17 PM
My opinion on this is that I don't have one...

steelbtexan
06-14-2012, 02:27 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/37762/smith-kubiak-should-thank-phillips

They should thank Wade.

As far as sitting on there laurels, after the much ballyhooed 9-7 season Gary decided to have an elective surgery (Sleep Apnea) during the combine, and left the scouting up to Rick and the rest of the scouts. This was followed by the KJ draft and a 6-10 season. Hopefully Gary learned from that.

1 playoff appearence = 3/4 yr contract extention. One SB tropy must = a lifetime in BoBBYs world.

ChampionTexan
06-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Per TC, three year extension. That would put Gary under contract through the 2015 season.

LINK (https://twitter.com/StephStradley/status/213303875631972353)

Correction: Kubiak only extended two years, with the 2012 season being restructured.

Kubiak’s new deal begins this year and expires after the 2014 season. Smith’s extension begins in 2013 and expires after the 2016 season.
LINK (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/06/texans-reward-kubiak-smith-with-contract-extensions/)

Perki-Perk
06-14-2012, 03:16 PM
They should thank Wade.

As far as sitting on there laurels, after the much ballyhooed 9-7 season Gary decided to have an elective surgery (Sleep Apnea) during the combine, and left the scouting up to Rick and the rest of the scouts. This was followed by the KJ draft and a 6-10 season. Hopefully Gary learned from that.

1 playoff appearence = 3/4 yr contract extention. One SB tropy must = a lifetime in BoBBYs world.

Do you ever not post hate about KJ... I saw the KJ reference, looked up and sure enough, it was my buddy steelbtexan. lol Why so much hate man? Why?

thunderkyss
06-14-2012, 04:11 PM
He saw how good Brian Cushing could be inside instead of outside.

Did anyone think Cushing was an option outside in a 3-4?

thunderkyss
06-14-2012, 04:17 PM

He's probably banking on something in the next two years to deserve a pay bump.....it's not gauranteed, but it's almost guaranteed that he won't coach the final year of a contract.

ckhouston
06-14-2012, 09:16 PM
They should both give Wade half.

TheMatrix31
06-14-2012, 09:47 PM
No, they shouldn't. Whether an extension was a great idea or deserved or not, ALL THREE did fantastic jobs in 2011.

Enough of this nonsense.

ckhouston
06-14-2012, 09:57 PM
No, they shouldn't. Whether an extension was a great idea or deserved or not, ALL THREE did fantastic jobs in 2011.

Enough of this nonsense.

So without Wade drafting Watt, and Reed and the team signing Joseph and Manning, and then doing a crash implementation of the 3-4 ... we make the playoffs?

Ditka tell him! ........... C'mon man!

DexmanC
06-14-2012, 11:29 PM
So without Wade drafting Watt, and Reed and the team signing Joseph and Manning, and then doing a crash implementation of the 3-4 ... we make the playoffs?

So Rick Smith gets NO credit for the draft or free agent acquisitions?
No credit for bringing in Antonio Smiff, either? What does a general
manager do, by-the-way?

ObsiWan
06-14-2012, 11:53 PM

I suppose Wade drafted and coached up Duane Brown to a pro bowl LT or saw something in Arian Foster when the rest of the league didn't or saw something in Chris Myers when his old team (and most of us) did not or coached up a 5th-rd, rookie QB (that most of us non-draftniks hadn't heard of) sufficiently well enough to lead this franchise to it's first and only playoff win. Yeah... that was ALLLL Wade.:thinking:

Everyone earned their keep last season. You take Wade's defense without Kubiak's offense and we have last year's 5-11 Jaguars. ...if we do that well considering the offensive players we lost during the year...

Lurvinator11
06-15-2012, 02:43 AM
FOUR more years of RICK SMITH!!!!? Think I just might cry!

So much for my dreams of ever seeing our Texans win this :trophy:

Because we were certainly close to that BEFORE Rick came in.........:sarcasm:

ckhouston
06-15-2012, 07:46 AM
So Rick Smith gets NO credit for the draft or free agent acquisitions?
No credit for bringing in Antonio Smiff, either? What does a general
manager do, by-the-way?

I am only talking specifically about last year, which is the only legitimate year this franchise has ever had. Rick does deserve credit for the moves he made that were positive before Wade arrived. But until Wade arrived, we were not a contender.

ckhouston
06-15-2012, 07:49 AM
I suppose Wade drafted and coached up Duane Brown to a pro bowl LT or saw something in Arian Foster when the rest of the league didn't or saw something in Chris Myers when his old team (and most of us) did not or coached up a 5th-rd, rookie QB (that most of us non-draftniks hadn't heard of) sufficiently well enough to lead this franchise to it's first and only playoff win. Yeah... that was ALLLL Wade.:thinking:

Everyone earned their keep last season. You take Wade's defense without Kubiak's offense and we have last year's 5-11 Jaguars. ...if we do that well considering the offensive players we lost during the year...

I agree, as I told Dex I was simply referencing last year, which is the only really good year the franchise has had. Wade was the difference. All credit should be given to Gary and Rick on the positive contributions they have made, but without Wade it was just another failed year last year.

Playoffs
06-15-2012, 07:53 AM

Agreed and repped.

Extensions well deserved.

IlliniJen
06-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Is Kubiak giving Wade 50% of his new contract?

While this extension isn't unexpected, taking only 3 years instead of 4 is fishy. For a coach who doesn't have a winning record, he seems to either be hedging his bets, thinking the next couple of years of assumed success are going to lead to a bigger payday.

Or, the conspiracy is, he's just getting paid until he makes the jump back to the Broncos.

Either way, I don't think Kubiak is as good as he thinks he is, or as good as Elway thinks he is. We'll see how things shake out over the next 10 years or so with his career. I think he's a perennial 8-8 coach without someone like Wade to prop him up.

Sorry to be Negative Nancy here, but he hasn't proven anything of much weight to me during his stay here. He's been blessed with top 10 talent at key skill positions. I'll give him the zone blocking scheme though...he's made me a believer that it can work...but I still don't believe you can throw any RB back there and they'll be a 1000 yard back each year.

Thorn
06-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Either way, I don't think Kubiak is as good as he thinks he is, or as good as Elway thinks he is. We'll see how things shake out over the next 10 years or so with his career. I think he's a perennial 8-8 coach without someone like Wade to prop him up.

That's my feelings as well. I'm sure we can get worse head coaches, because we already have. But there are much better head coaches out there. I have faith this team will be a good one with BOTH Kubiak and Wade calling the shots. I don't really want Wade as head coach, because he hasn't proven himself there anymore that Kubiak has. But togeather, they are very good. Take someone out of the picture, and it begins to fall apart.

Double Barrel
06-15-2012, 09:57 AM
That's my feelings as well. I'm sure we can get worse head coaches, because we already have. But there are much better head coaches out there. I have faith this team will be a good one with BOTH Kubiak and Wade calling the shots. I don't really want Wade as head coach, because he hasn't proven himself there anymore that Kubiak has. But togeather, they are very good. Take someone out of the picture, and it begins to fall apart.

I certainly do not disagree with your takes here, but just wanted to mention that the better head coaches out there are locked up with other teams.

So what we have to choose from are either untested coordinators or HC retreads that nobody wants around here.

If it's either Kubiak or the available choices, I'll take Kubiak and go with what we know and hope for some consistent continuity from last season.

(And before Cowher's name comes up, I do not think he wants to get back into coaching given the fact that he has turned down every interview offer from a variety of teams.)

steelbtexan
06-15-2012, 03:16 PM
I certainly do not disagree with your takes here, but just wanted to mention that the better head coaches out there are locked up with other teams.

So what we have to choose from are either untested coordinators or HC retreads that nobody wants around here.

If it's either Kubiak or the available choices, I'll take Kubiak and go with what we know and hope for some consistent continuity from last season.

(And before Cowher's name comes up, I do not think he wants to get back into coaching given the fact that he has turned down every interview offer from a variety of teams.)

I'm for keeping Gary.

But better HC's include

Cowher
Gruden
Billick

HC's that have accomplished 10 win seasons in the last 3 yrs that have been fired

Fisher
Haley
Morris
Wade

Texecutioner
06-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Gary and Rick can thank Wade Phillips for helping to keep their jobs and now for this extension. Good lord, what a joke. One winning season out of six?? (THe Pats laid down for the Texans so I hardly count that 9-7 season that was the worst coaching season from Kubiak in his entire tenure here.) Not surprised though. 47-49 equals winning in Bob's world as long as he is selling tickets in one of the best football markets in the country. Bob should have waited for at least one more winning season out of Smithiak before extending these guys.

drs23
06-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Gary and Rick can thank Wade Phillips for helping to keep their jobs and now for this extension. Good lord, what a joke. One winning season out of six?? (THe Pats laid down for the Texans so I hardly count that 9-7 season that was the worst coaching season from Kubiak in his entire tenure here.) Not surprised though. 47-49 equals winning in Bob's world as long as he is selling tickets in one of the best football markets in the country. Bob should have waited for at least one more winning season out of Smithiak before extending these guys.

Damn Tex, you're getting slow! :kitten:

Texecutioner
06-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Damn Tex, you're getting slow! :kitten:

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

drs23
06-15-2012, 07:32 PM
:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

:D

Hang in there man, they're getting it. Granted it's taken a while but I think McNair's patience paid off and I thought it would.

Smith's put some good drafts together, with input of coarse. Kubiak seems like a different coach to me this year. Some have sensed this as well while others say not so much. Guess we'll see what happens in camp.

I guess I just wanna be excited about this season. Go Texans!

thunderkyss
06-15-2012, 08:00 PM
:D

Hang in there man, they're getting it. Granted it's taken a while but I think McNair's patience paid off and I thought it would.

How close are the Browns?

That's really the only team the Texans can be compared to, considering the rules they came in with & the competition already established.

Our first ten years vs theirs, which would you rather have? At least it looks like we've built something of substance in that time. They're rebuilding again & if the wipe the slate clean at the end of this season, they still have zip to build on & they had a 4 year head-start.

GNTLEWOLF
06-15-2012, 10:54 PM
How close are the Browns?

That's really the only team the Texans can be compared to, considering the rules they came in with & the competition already established.

Our first ten years vs theirs, which would you rather have? At least it looks like we've built something of substance in that time. They're rebuilding again & if the wipe the slate clean at the end of this season, they still have zip to build on & they had a 4 year head-start.

I know what you are saying...really I do, but it just strikes me as funny that after all this ...what we can say is.... "At least we are better than the Browns"... Wow! That right there is high praise I'll tell ya... LOL

b0ng
06-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Why are people acting like Kubiak's extension is apart of the salary cap or is even worrisome if he doesn't perform? Nobody cares about how much or how long coaches are paid for because as soon as they don't perform they can be out on their butts with no monetary ramifications to the salary cap.

Whether Bob does this or not is something else, but Bob McNair's unhealthy obsession with Kubiak is certainly not as high on the list of things I am concerned about the Texas as WR depth, or the right side of the O-line.

steelbtexan
06-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Why are people acting like Kubiak's extension is apart of the salary cap or is even worrisome if he doesn't perform? Nobody cares about how much or how long coaches are paid for because as soon as they don't perform they can be out on their butts with no monetary ramifications to the salary cap.

Whether Bob does this or not is something else, but Bob McNair's unhealthy obsession with Kubiak is certainly not as high on the list of things I am concerned about the Texas as WR depth, or the right side of the O-line.

The right side of the OL will be OK.

The WR corps is a reason for worry. IMHO

thunderkyss
06-16-2012, 02:22 AM
I know what you are saying...really I do, but it just strikes me as funny that after all this ...what we can say is.... "At least we are better than the Browns"... Wow! That right there is high praise I'll tell ya... LOL

Gotta start somewhere. If we had a similar talent pool that the Jags & Panthers had when they came into the league, then it would have been feasible to compete with the best teams early.

But we didn't. & while I'm no Kubiak fan some people are blaming him for the first 4 years.

Wolf
06-16-2012, 11:48 PM
I have no problem with Gary getting an extension.. offense wasn't a problem it was Gary wanting Frank Bush and Richard Smith on the defensive side. I know that was who Gary thought that would get the job done, but we know how that turned out...

Playoffs
06-17-2012, 09:44 AM
I have no problem with Gary getting an extension.. offense wasn't a problem it was Gary wanting Frank Bush and Richard Smith on the defensive side. I know that was who Gary thought that would get the job done, but we know how that turned out...Man, I wanted Bush too. Really liked his attitude and the way he played. Was I ever mistaken -- dude couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. :headhurts:

thunderkyss
06-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Man, I wanted Bush too. Really liked his attitude and the way he played. Was I ever mistaken -- dude couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. :headhurts:

So how do you explain 2009?

DX-TEX
06-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Anyone else see this:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/6/14/3085165/houston-texans-extend-gm-rick-smith-and-head-coach-gary-kubiak

For those who like making comparisons, Bill Belichick had a 41-55 record at this point in his career while also going 1-1 in the playoffs. In his seventh coaching season, Belichick led New England to a Super Bowl championship. I’m not saying, but I’m just saying

Must mean Schaub goes down week 6 and TJ leads us to 3 Superbowls.

:trophy::trophy::trophy:

IBleedTexans
06-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Anyone else see this:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/6/14/3085165/houston-texans-extend-gm-rick-smith-and-head-coach-gary-kubiak

Must mean Schaub goes down week 6 and TJ leads us to 3 Superbowls.

:trophy::trophy::trophy:

Thanks for making my fathers day dude! Now nobody burst my bubble for the rest of the day. NO Debbie downers!!!!!!