PDA

View Full Version : Situations that may offer Texans another WR option...

Playoffs
06-12-2012, 10:21 AM
There's been plenty of chatter that the Texans will try to add a veteran WR for the 2012 season, so I thought I'd consolidate some potentials in a seperate thread.

This one caught my eye (and prompted this topic):

Ramifications Of Donald Driver Deal Are Clear (http://www.totalpackers.com/2012/06/11/ramifications-of-donald-driver-deal-are-clear/)

Receiver Donald Driver is going to be on the Green Bay Packers roster in 2012.

How do we know this? The team gave him $1.2 million guaranteed as part of his recently-renegotiated contract, according to Rob Demovsky. He’ll make $1.1 million in base salary on the deal, which expires after this season.

There are quite a few ramifications to consider here.

1. The roster spot
The Packers wouldn’t have guaranteed Driver $1.2 million if they thought they might release him...

2. The young guys
With Driver taking up a roster spot, the Packers are going to lose one of their promising, young practice squad receivers. That is, unless they decide to do something out of character like trade James Jones. We’re talking about Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel, of course. Both will push for a roster spot this season. Both were offered active roster spots with other teams last season. Both have huge upside. The Packers have traditionally kept only five receivers under Mike McCarthy. This year, they’ll have to keep six just to keep Driver and Borel or Gurley on the team. If the Packers can’t trade the odd man out, he’s sure to sign with another team. Either way, Borel or Gurley are playing elsewhere this season. Which is too bad because…

Any interest in James Jones here ... ?

b0ng
06-12-2012, 11:46 AM
There's been plenty of chatter that the Texans will try to add a veteran WR for the 2012 season, so I thought I'd consolidate some potentials in a seperate thread.

Ramifications Of Donald Driver Deal Are Clear (http://www.totalpackers.com/2012/06/11/ramifications-of-donald-driver-deal-are-clear/)

How do we know this? The team gave him $1.2 million guaranteed as part of his recently-renegotiated contract, according to Rob Demovsky. He’ll make $1.1 million in base salary on the deal, which expires after this season.

1. The roster spot
The Packers wouldn’t have guaranteed Driver $1.2 million if they thought they might release him...

2. The young guys
With Driver taking up a roster spot, the Packers are going to lose one of their promising, young practice squad receivers. That is, unless they decide to do something out of character like trade James Jones. We’re talking about Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel, of course. Both will push for a roster spot this season. Both were offered active roster spots with other teams last season. Both have huge upside. The Packers have traditionally kept only five receivers under Mike McCarthy. This year, they’ll have to keep six just to keep Driver and Borel or Gurley on the team. If the Packers can’t trade the odd man out, he’s sure to sign with another team. Either way, Borel or Gurley are playing elsewhere this season. Which is too bad because…

Any interest in James Jones here ... ?

Could be but I think Rick Smith loathes sending anything other than late round picks to other teams for players.

Texn4life
06-12-2012, 11:56 AM
James Jones would be a great fit in this offense at the right price. Mike Sims Walker is still an option too according to an article I read over the weekend. Its a huge red flag though that 2 receiver thirsty teams had him on their roster last year and decided to pass on him. If the Rams and Jags don't want u then something is wrong with the guy.

ArlingtonTexan
06-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Could be but I think Rick Smith loathes sending anything other than late round picks to other teams for players.

Do you really think James Jones is going to garner a high draft choice?

TexanSam
06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Do you really think James Jones is going to garner a high draft choice?

Probably a mid round pick. 4th rounder or maybe a 4th and a 5th. He's only 28 and he's been pretty productive.

badboy
06-12-2012, 12:47 PM

1. The roster spot

2. The young guys

Any interest in James Jones here ... ?Don't know him. Can you provide info like size, skills, stats,age, experience?

TexanSam
06-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Don't know him. Can you provide info like size, skills, stats,age, experience?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=James+Jones+NFL

I've always wanted to use that.

Stemp
06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Texans bring in Sims-Walker during Minicamp (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/12/texans-bring-in-veteran-receiver-sims-walker-during-three-day-minicamp/)

badboy
06-12-2012, 01:01 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=James+Jones+NFL

I've always wanted to use that.If I wanted to do the research I would have. I expect folks to put some work into their suggestions. Anyone can throw up a name such as this 28 YOA nothing player. Give me some details on why you (O.P.) think he would be a good pickup.

ckhouston
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Why waste a draft pick? We are not a passing team.

Texn4life
06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Why waste a draft pick? We are not a passing team.

With the comp picks we should be getting next year, a late round pick really shouldn't be as valuable to us next year. If you ask me if I'd rather have MSW or James Jones. I take James Jones every day of the week. I wouldn't think he'd command more than a 5th or 6th round pick. The Packers have probably the deepest receiving core in the league, but I'm not sure that they want to part with him right now anyway.

infantrycak
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
We are not a passing team.

Yeah 'cuz you see non-passing teams ripping off consecutive 4000+ yard passing seasons so often - Schaub was on pace for his third consecutive 4000+ yard season.

Of the 10 teams with 4000+ passing yards last season only 2 were in the top 10 for rushing yards. One was New Orleans and the other Philadelphia - neither known as a rushing team by any stretch (without Vick's improvisation, generally on plays called as passes, they would have plummeted to the bottom third of the league). We are a balanced attack not a rushing team.

ckhouston
06-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah 'cuz you see non-passing teams ripping off consecutive 4000+ yard passing seasons so often - Schaub was on pace for his third consecutive 4000+ yard season.

Of the 10 teams with 4000+ passing yards last season only 2 were in the top 10 for rushing yards. We are a balanced attack not a rushing team.

Guess I can agree that we are balanced, with a lean toward the run. Yes Matt had a couple of high yardage seasons, but some of those yardage totals are from hitting a couple of long gainers a game because of the defense having to focus on the run, which is our area of expertise.

Just saying at this point I dont think using picks to take a flyer on another teams WR is the way to go. Develop through the draft. As we stand I do not feel we should feel desperate at all about our receiver situation.

infantrycak
06-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Guess I can agree that we are balanced, with a lean toward the run. Yes Matt had a couple of high yardage seasons, but some of those yardage totals are from hitting a couple of long gainers a game because of the defense having to focus on the run, which is our area of expertise.

Certainly since the emergence of Foster the passing game has had pressure taken off it but when Schaub was getting close to 5000 yards three years ago we had virtually no rushing attack.

Just saying at this point I dont think using picks to take a flyer on another teams WR is the way to go. Develop through the draft. As we stand I do not feel we should feel desperate at all about our receiver situation.

I don't disagree here which is why I left that part of your post out of my quote. With the group we have now I think at least one will emerge to be better than JJ.

drs23
06-12-2012, 06:59 PM
With the group we have now I think at least one will emerge to be better than JJ.

If you had to throw a dart today, would it be toward Posey or Martin? I think it's almost a conclusion, barring injury, that LaStar Jean is the next man up in the WR corps perhaps pressing KW for playing time.

Slot and returns at this early point seems to trend favoring Martin.

Folks agree/disagree?

Playoffs
06-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Give me some details on why you (O.P.) think he would be a good pickup.I've always felt Jones was a tier above MSW. GB is chock-full loaded with excellent WRs and very high on their young guys coming up.

If you take the (old) QB ranking for QBs throwing to all receivers and sort by receiver, Jone's QB rating when targeted was 3rd in the league in 2011. Makes his QB look good.

Brings more to the table than Derrick Mason/Bryant Johnson types, imo. Don't think we'd have to pay more than a lower pick ... and wouldn't. If we're trolling for castoffs, I just wonder if there's a better option for low compensation -- this being our SB year and all.

steelbtexan
06-12-2012, 08:33 PM
If I wanted to do the research I would have. I expect folks to put some work into their suggestions. Anyone can throw up a name such as this 28 YOA nothing player. Give me some details on why you (O.P.) think he would be a good pickup.

All that needs to be said is Jones at age 28 was the Packers #3 WR over Jordy Nelson. Playing in McCarthys WC offense. So yeah, I think he would be an upgrade at WR2.

Considering the Texans need for an upgrade at WR2, I think Jones would be worth a 3rd rd pick. But I dont know if the Texans can afford Jones because of salary cap ramifications. Dutch could probably tell us who would have to be let go to make room for Jones.

Playoffs
06-12-2012, 10:16 PM
...I think Jones would be worth a 3rd rd pick. But I dont know if the Texans can afford Jones because of salary cap ramifications. Dutch could probably tell us who would have to be let go to make room for Jones.Yeah, I dunno about cap. But I was thinking more 5th rounder. We'll see ... he may suck at blocking?

All I know is I won a few fantasy football games spot starting Jones. http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/skins0304/hi5.gif

Corrosion
06-13-2012, 12:36 AM

Back to back 4500 yard seasons .... I recall not many QB's can say they have done that.

infantrycak
06-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Back to back 4500 yard seasons .... I recall not many QB's can say they have done that.

He was the 6th QB in NFL history to put up 9000 yards in two seasons. I haven't investigated it but I doubt any of the others did it with the league's leading rusher in either of the two years.

Texn4life
06-13-2012, 12:51 AM
I don't disagree here which is why I left that part of your post out of my quote. With the group we have now I think at least one will emerge to be better than JJ.

So you feel comfortable with what we have even considering the injury history of our top 2 receivers?

infantrycak
06-13-2012, 01:03 AM
So you feel comfortable with what we have even considering the injury history of our top 2 receivers?

Comfortable might be too strong a word. But I would rather gamble on a potential young player than gamble maybe someone isn't over the hill. I don't believe in the just getting "a vet" theory. At this point Schaub, AJ and Walter can provide tons of veteran leadership in the system. We don't need some old WR who hasn't played this system for leadership.

Texn4life
06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Comfortable might be too strong a word. But I would rather gamble on a potential young player than gamble maybe someone isn't over the hill. I don't believe in the just getting "a vet" theory. At this point Schaub, AJ and Walter can provide tons of veteran leadership in the system. We don't need some old WR who hasn't played this system for leadership.

I can understand that. There are only 3 or 4 guys who I would look at to bring in at this point, but I agree for settling for a Bryant Johnson type isn't the right move for the team.

Lucky
06-13-2012, 06:40 AM
James Jones has 2 years left on a very friendly deal (less than $6 million (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4242/james-jones)). He's not going anywhere.

badboy
06-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I've always felt Jones was a tier above MSW. GB is chock-full loaded with excellent WRs and very high on their young guys coming up.

If you take the (old) QB ranking for QBs throwing to all receivers and sort by receiver, Jone's QB rating when targeted was 3rd in the league in 2011. Makes his QB look good.

Brings more to the table than Derrick Mason/Bryant Johnson types, imo. Don't think we'd have to pay more than a lower pick ... and wouldn't. If we're trolling for castoffs, I just wonder if there's a better option for low compensation -- this being our SB year and all.Thanks. This is useful info and I appreciate your time and thoughts. I still think we will bring in a vet but no idea who.

badboy
06-13-2012, 04:32 PM
All that needs to be said is Jones at age 28 was the Packers #3 WR over Jordy Nelson. Playing in McCarthys WC offense. So yeah, I think he would be an upgrade at WR2.

Considering the Texans need for an upgrade at WR2, I think Jones would be worth a 3rd rd pick. But I dont know if the Texans can afford Jones because of salary cap ramifications. Dutch could probably tell us who would have to be let go to make room for Jones.Speaking only to the salary situation, we have the $3m from JJ that has not been assigned. That may not be enough but for much more we'd better gett a solid WR.

badboy
06-13-2012, 04:33 PM
He was the 6th QB in NFL history to put up 9000 yards in two seasons. I haven't investigated it but I doubt any of the others did it with the league's leading rusher in either of the two years.

Some do not realize how remarkable that was.

infantrycak
06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Some do not realize how remarkable that was.

What is amazing as well is somehow Schaub did it with a WR corps which the common consensus was "they aren't NFL quality other than AJ."

Corrosion
06-14-2012, 02:16 AM

Man , Gary's offense sucks .... Bob should fire him. :nolisten:

Texn4life
06-14-2012, 03:06 AM
To be honest I think I'm more concerned about our TE situation than I am about our receivers. We can find some capable guys that are out there to come in and play receiver, but there aren't many quality Tight Ends right now on the market. We're banking on Casey and Graham to produce at the position outside of OD.

Hopefully Graham realizes this is his time to really step up and prove and can be a reliable option. Daniel Graham just became available, but I don't think anybody truly wants to see him here. MSW will most likely be signed to come into camp and compete for a roster spot at receiver, so discussing all of the other options probably is a moot point.

ObsiWan
06-14-2012, 03:52 AM
Speaking only to the salary situation, we have the $3m from JJ that has not been assigned. That may not be enough but for much more we'd better gett a solid WR.

The problem is there's no one available that I think is really worth bringing in...

Check out this list from WalterFootball (http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012WR.php)....

There's no one of note to be had.

And do we really think someone of note - and "affordable" (I won't say "cheap") - will fall off of some team's roster after preseason?? I have my doubts.

We gotta develop what we've drafted.

otisbean
06-14-2012, 04:46 AM
The problem is there's no one available that I think is really worth bringing in...

Check out this list from WalterFootball (http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012WR.php)....

There's no one of note to be had.

And do we really think someone of note - and "affordable" (I won't say "cheap") - will fall off of some team's roster after preseason?? I have my doubts.

We gotta develop what we've drafted.

Hopefully someone will be cut during camp that could come in and help, ala Frank Wychek back in the day.

TimeKiller
06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Wouldn't it be a nice situation if oh say Dwight Jones could've pulled it together? Quitting is for quitters though. Just saying, seems like the perfect opportunity for a young guy to step up.

Norg
06-14-2012, 08:59 PM
T.O.

will come in has a locker room guy to groom the young WR's

&

Line him up with AJ who will teams double cover LOL

ObsiWan
06-15-2012, 12:09 AM
T.O.

will come in has a locker room guy to groom the young WR's

&

Line him up with AJ who will teams double cover LOL

You just HAD to say it....
:toropalm:

HOU-TEX
06-15-2012, 08:54 AM
James Jones has 2 years left on a very friendly deal (less than $6 million (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4242/james-jones)). He's not going anywhere.

I might be wrong, but wasn't Jones the one that had a bad case of the dropsies not too long ago?

steelbtexan
06-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Yep

But he also made enough big plays to hold off Nelson for the WR3 during the SB yr. That says somethng about Jones talent and ability to get separation.

b0ng
06-16-2012, 12:41 AM
James Jones is way way more reliable than Jacoby Jones and has been a nice player for the Pack. I don't really see why the Packers would choose to re-sign Driver and shop Jones when he's got a friendly deal in place however, we aren't privy to what goes on behind closed doors.

If I'm Rick Smith my top draft pick I can trade for a James Jones is probably a 4th, mostly due to Rick Smith not trading draft picks higher than a 6th for other teams players.