PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Zebras?

drs23
06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
CBS reporting (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19257066/nfl-plans-to-proceed-immediately-with-hiring-of-replacement-referees) a mediation session took place Sunday but the league will 'proceed immediately' with hiring of replacements.

We only thought it was bad with the Men in Stripes before. Can you imagine what it'll be like with a bunch of rookie refs?

I think they'll probably get it ironed out. At least I HOPE so!

Stemp
06-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Happened in 2001 I believe. Replacements refs worked the first few games of the season.

Most of them, I believe, will be the upper end college refs so they won't be completely green.

TejasTom
06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Is this a personnel foul?

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Three quick thoughts on replacement refs
June, 4, 2012 Jun 41:10PM ET
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

What comes to mind after the NFL announced it would seek replacement officials in the absence of a new labor agreement with the NFL Referees Association:

There's plenty of time for a resolution. We're 96 days away from the regular-season opener. In the past, we've seen the NFL and its officials at odds deep into the summer, threatening the regular season before finally reaching agreement in September. There's no need for panic.

Replacement refs might do just fine, anyway. The drop from current officials to replacement officials would not begin to approach the drop from current players to replacements. We're talking about doing what Gene Steratore does, not what Tom Brady does. Big difference. And, last time I checked, the current officials were not perfect. They've even made public apologies.

Rules changes continue to take pressure off officials. Last year, the NFL called for booth reviews on scoring plays. The latest changes require booth reviews for turnovers. Coaches already have a challenge system at their disposal. Officiating requires skill and and deep knowledge of a fairly complex rulebook, but it's getting tougher for worst-case scenarios to play out in NFL officiating.

Vinny
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Three quick thoughts on replacement refsReplacement refs might do just fine, anyway. The drop from current officials to replacement officials would not begin to approach the drop from current players to replacements. We're talking about doing what Gene Steratore does, not what Tom Brady does. Big difference. And, last time I checked, the current officials were not perfect. They've even made public apologies.
I don't agree with this at all. People take for granted how hard it is to manage 22 moving parts at once. Bring in the noob officials and a full speed NFL game...then we will really have something to complain about.

Dutchrudder
06-04-2012, 02:16 PM
This is bad news... for Peyton Manning.

Stemp
06-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't agree with this at all. People take for granted how hard it is to manage 22 moving parts at once. Bring in the noob officials and a full speed NFL game...then we will really have something to complain about.

Again, these refs will probably be from the upper echelon of the college ranks. They aren't grabbing Joe the Mechanic who works the local 2A high school games. These guys know what they are doing.

ChampionTexan
06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Again, these refs will probably be from the upper echelon of the college ranks. They aren't grabbing Joe the Mechanic who works the local 2A high school games. These guys know what they are doing.

Well, that depends what you consider "upper echelon".

Replacement officials could potentially come from non-BCS conferences, retired elite NCAA officials and the Arena league, ESPN.com reported. BCS conference are run by NFL officials and that relationship is the reason the NFL will look elsewhere for subs.

LINK (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-nfl-to-seek-replacement-referees-after-talks-fail-20120604,0,5469506.story)

Stemp
06-04-2012, 02:57 PM
BCS conference are run by NFL officials and that relationship is the reason the NFL will look elsewhere for subs.

I didn't know that
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/kydem/humor/JohnnyCarson3.jpg

TejasTom
06-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Well, that depends what you consider "upper echelon".

Rep. I had no idea.

I didn't know that
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/kydem/humor/JohnnyCarson3.jpg

Rep for using Mr. Excitement

Double Barrel
06-06-2012, 10:51 AM

I agree completely. People take good officiating for granted, because when done correctly and fairly, there is nothing to talk about.

If they start bringing in NCAA and arena scrubs, this season is going to suck bad.

The NFL is too big to not have full time officials. They need to resolve this situation before this season or the product is going to take a serious negative hit.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2012, 08:07 AM
With this substitution comes a more lax vetting process. Makes you wonder if a Las Vegas bookie could "get hold of" even one new official..............

Local NFL referee and line judge express concern about use of replacement officials (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19193501/local-nfl-referee-and-line-judge-express-concern-about-use-of-replacement-officials#ixzz22ZvJf0SJ)

Texn4life
08-04-2012, 10:58 AM
With this substitution comes a more lax vetting process. Makes you wonder if a Las Vegas bookie could "get hold of" even one new official..............

Local NFL referee and line judge express concern about use of replacement officials (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19193501/local-nfl-referee-and-line-judge-express-concern-about-use-of-replacement-officials#ixzz22ZvJf0SJ)

I haven't thought about that but its definitely a possibility. I'll be curious to see how they call the game Sunday. Being a gambling man it does make me a little nervous that they could possibly influence games in a negative way.

Double Barrel
08-08-2012, 12:58 PM
The more that I read/hear about this situation, the more I come to the conclusion that not having the best refs out there will ultimately hurt the product.

I heard last night that one of the replacement refs was FIRED by the Lingerie Football League!

These refs are not even on par with college refs, because that's not allowed anymore.

These scrubs are going to blow games. That's not even in question. How many blown calls and how many outcomes is the question, and I can already hear the Monday morning howls from football fans when their team is screwed by a bunch of sub-par refs.

We expect the best players and coaches to be out there, why not the refs, as well? I think the NFL is going to screw the pooch hard on this one, and somebody's team(s) will be screwed accordingly.

eriadoc
08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I think the NFL is going to screw the pooch hard on this one, and somebody's team(s) will be screwed accordingly.

Given Houston's sports history, is there really a question as to which team one of those will be?

Double Barrel
08-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Given Houston's sports history, is there really a question as to which team one of those will be?

Exactly! That's my concern, as self-serving as it appears to be. It's always the Houston teams that come up with the raw end of the deal.

drs23
08-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Exactly! That's my concern, as self-serving as it appears to be. It's always the Houston teams that come up with the raw end of the deal.

Exactly. After the dismal performance of the replacements in the HOF game I see the pendulum swinging the other way. To the EXTREME. I fear now there will be calls that aren't really there and you know who they'll be against. I hope I'm wrong but the NFL needs to get the real guys back. This season is too important to be left to 3rd tier and lower refs.

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Ryan Clady rips 'rookie' replacement ref for holding call, is completely wrong (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19768732/ryan-clady-rips-rookie-replacement-ref-for-holding-call-is-completely-wrong)

Without the type of "holds" seen in the still shots, I can see Manning going for CT scans sooner than later this season.

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Giants punt returner called for holding while he was returning punt (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/10/giants-punt-returner-called-for-holding-while-he-was-returning-punt/)

I guess, here's a case of "I misremembered."

Heath Shuler
08-10-2012, 09:44 PM
http://deadspin.com/nfl-replacement-referees/

The most egregiously bad call of the evening came from this game, as officials called a touchback on a punt that was clearly downed at the five yard line. It's kind of astonishing to figure out how they came to this conclusion; from the call on the field, it sounds like one of the officials believed the ball to have entered the end zone. This is alarming, because it means referees are already assuming things they haven't actually seen; we'd rather they miss something that actually happened than make up things that didn't

you have to watch the first video. crazy

Rey
08-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Ryan Clady rips 'rookie' replacement ref for holding call, is completely wrong (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19768732/ryan-clady-rips-rookie-replacement-ref-for-holding-call-is-completely-wrong)

Without the type of "holds" seen in the still shots, I can see Manning going for CT scans sooner than later this season.

From the article:

Is it a big deal that Clady's mad about a holding call? Of course not. There will be many holding calls over the course of the next few months, with many of them mattering much, much more than this one, which took place in the first week of the preaseason.

What does matter here is that Clady's leaning on the replacement refs as the reason why the call was bad, when it wasn't.

This is something that is happening with fans, players, coaches and the media alike. If replacement refs make bad calls, they should be hammered for it. But they shouldn't be hammered for every single calls as if the regular refs would step on the field and work 60 minutes without a single mistake.

And the replacement refs shouldn't be hammered simply because they're replacements, especially on calls that they don't screw up.

I agree with that portion completely.

Rey
08-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Giants punt returner called for holding while he was returning punt (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/10/giants-punt-returner-called-for-holding-while-he-was-returning-punt/)

I guess, here's a case of "I misremembered."

Regular NFL refs get numbers wrong all the time. Sometimes they don't give a number and you get coached screaming on the sideline asking for a number.

I watched a bit of the second half of the packers vs chargers and I forgot there were even replacement refs.

It's early. There will be mistakes made. Maybe some pretty big ones. But regular refs make bad calls all the time and they make highly questionable calls too.

Anyone remember the roughing the passer call on Jj watt last year? That wasn't made by replacement refs.

Instant replay wasn't invented because the regular refs were nailing every call.

I understand these guys are going to be under a microscope, but I think it's ridiculous to scrutinize every "bad call" like the replacement refs have the market cornered on bad calls.

CloakNNNdagger
08-11-2012, 10:05 AM
From the article:

Is it a big deal that Clady's mad about a holding call? Of course not. There will be many holding calls over the course of the next few months, with many of them mattering much, much more than this one, which took place in the first week of the preaseason.

What does matter here is that Clady's leaning on the replacement refs as the reason why the call was bad, when it wasn't.

This is something that is happening with fans, players, coaches and the media alike. If replacement refs make bad calls, they should be hammered for it. But they shouldn't be hammered for every single calls as if the regular refs would step on the field and work 60 minutes without a single mistake.

And the replacement refs shouldn't be hammered simply because they're replacements, especially on calls that they don't screw up.

I agree with that portion completely.

I hope you realize that I took the holding call against Clady as legitimate. Just saying that it appears that there will probably be a slew of holding by the Broncs in order to try to ensure that Manning remains upright through games.

CloakNNNdagger
08-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Regular NFL refs get numbers wrong all the time. Sometimes they don't give a number and you get coached screaming on the sideline asking for a number.

I watched a bit of the second half of the packers vs chargers and I forgot there were even replacement refs.

It's early. There will be mistakes made. Maybe some pretty big ones. But regular refs make bad calls all the time and they make highly questionable calls too.

Anyone remember the roughing the passer call on Jj watt last year? That wasn't made by replacement refs.

Instant replay wasn't invented because the regular refs were nailing every call.

I understand these guys are going to be under a microscope, but I think it's ridiculous to scrutinize every "bad call" like the replacement refs have the market cornered on bad calls.

Again, I was actually poking fun at a mistake we see not too infrequently with the regular refs.

NCTexan
08-11-2012, 12:31 PM

That's absurd. It was clearly downed inside the 5. The ref there even threw the marker down! So much for there won't be a difference...

Playoffs
08-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Seeing some pretty bad calls on NFLN replays.

infantrycak
08-11-2012, 01:20 PM
That's absurd. It was clearly downed inside the 5. The ref there even threw the marker down! So much for there won't be a difference...

The regular refs jack stuff up regularly as well - as do the commentators. On the clip the commentator says it is downed just inside the 10 when it clearly is the 5.

But yes that was a bad call.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2012, 01:27 PM

I was watching that and I was like... WHAT?

That was such a horrible mess-up that they shouldn't even count that challenge against the coach who used it. There had to be at least 2 other officials who saw that it didn't go into the end-zone. What game were they watching?

This is like that TD by Testaverde back when he was with the Jets when his helmet crossed the endline but the ball was nowhere close and they called it a TD... except that was with regular refs.

GP
08-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But after watching the Texans game tonight, they are AWFUL.

Goodell needs to get them back by week 1. Seriously.

TimeKiller
08-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Dude...the head ref for the Texans games acted like he couldn't remember how to announce the foul and properly motion at the same time. Helping the Panthers all the way down the field on hand fighting between DBs and WRs was pretty legit too.

Rey
08-12-2012, 12:57 AM
They were worse than the regular refs. No doubt about it.

I don't think they were detrimental to the game though. Looks lime they could have been in some spots.

I'd prefer the real refs, but Ill enjoy the season regardless just like I enjoyed this game.