PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Dwight Jones WR quit?

ArlingtonTexan
05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
per Evan Silva (via twitter):

Heard reliably that UDFA receiver Dwight Jones, from UNC, has quit the #Texans. May explain interest in Sims-Walker.

rmartin65
05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Bummer. Kid has talent, but no brain.

eriadoc
05-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Frankly, my lack of opinion jumped to poor opinion of the kid when he started spouting off that he was the next AJ. The difference between drafted and undrafted is often between the ears rather than on the field or in the gym.

The Cush
05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Mark Berman just tweeted this saying he has quit football.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Unbelievable!!

will742
05-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Wow. Because a lack of reps?

Rey
05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Goodbye Dwight. Hardly knew you.

beerlover
05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
lack of desire to work hard.

BIG TORO
05-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Not really the next AJ is he!

gtexan02
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Oh well

OzzO
05-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Who?

Topher
05-29-2012, 01:21 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/evilcraaazyone/screwuguyscartman.gif

Yankee_In_TX
05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
lack of desire to work hard.

I have a hard time respecting UDFA that quit for any 'reason.'

Like I think the kid from Wisconsin who 'quit' due to 'concussion concerns' (that he was concerned, not that he had them).

Headline was something like 'Chosing law school over the NFL.'

No, not really, how many UDFA make teams?

TdotTexas2Step
05-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Maybe he lined up with Kareem and Jackson locked him up???

:kitten:

chicagotexan2
05-29-2012, 01:27 PM
http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/tmbs/32f58ff723/fullsize_custom.

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/3287693/view/1/producttypecolor/16/type/png/width/280/height/280/nobody-likes-a-quitter_design.png

http://www.ratemyfunnypictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/quitter-640x801.jpg

http://www.i-resign.com/uk/shop/prodimg/img_official-quitter-shouty.jpg

BullNation4Life
05-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Can't coach heart and desire....

His air bag ran our of wind, Punk ass couldn't scrape the from-under-cheese off of Andre Johnson's jock, much less be the next Andre Johnson....

unless he is going back to school to be a doctor or something, he will always be labeled a quitter...

Later :clown:

TdotTexas2Step
05-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Like I think the kid from Wisconsin who 'quit' due to 'concussion concerns' (that he was concerned, not that he had them).

I wish I law school and the NFL were my two choices at the crossroad.

rmartin65
05-29-2012, 01:30 PM

He was from OSU. And I actually applaud the decision. Even if he was not worried about concussions, he surmised that he would not make a team, and decided to further pursue his education. I cant see how anyone can find fault in that.

Playoffs
05-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I think he's not getting many reps & pouting a bit.

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Kubiak: Dwight Jones is a player who is "struggling" a bit. We'll talk to him this afternoon. /said w/ a smile

Kubiak: WR Dwight Jones only player missing OTAs today. Didn't show. Not an injury thing. (Voluntary.-but not good for UDFA)

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Kubiak said Jones, a UDFA from UNC, is "a young man with a lot of information (being thrown) at him." #Texans

ArlingtonTexan
05-29-2012, 01:34 PM

think I saw a number between 4-5 a team out of training camp.

Practice squads are mostly UDFA rookies.

Last number i remember is that about 20% of NFl roster are made up of guys not orginally drafted by any team. the number is a bit skewed because kickers, punters, long snappers and now fullbacks are drafted in extremely low percentages.

sorry, no linkage just memory of a couple things i read awhile back.

GuerillaBlack
05-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Wow. He couldn't handle it. I had faith in him.

Yankee_In_TX
05-29-2012, 01:40 PM
He was from OSU. And I actually applaud the decision. Even if he was not worried about concussions, he surmised that he would not make a team, and decided to further pursue his education. I cant see how anyone can find fault in that.

Well, maybe ESPN is to blame, but his point of view wasn't 'I am worried about concussions and I might not make it anyway' he came off as he was leaving the NFL in terms of giving up a sure thing to go to law school and his sole reason was because of concussions and the recent news and lawsuits.

rmartin65
05-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Well, maybe ESPN is to blame, but his point of view wasn't 'I am worried about concussions and I might not make it anyway' he came off as he was leaving the NFL in terms of giving up a sure thing to go to law school and his sole reason was because of concussions and the recent news and lawsuits.

Maybe. So what though? He made the right choice then. Anybody who follows the game knows that he was a longshot.

Doppelganger
05-29-2012, 01:50 PM
A lot of people were wondering why he did not get drafted in the first place. This just sheds more light on the issue. There were many concerns about him coming out of college. You can have all the talant in the world, but if you don't work hard at the NFL level, you wont get far.

Mr. Jones may want to really think about what is important to him. If football really is what he wants to pursue, he needs to completely rededicate himself to his craft.

Dutchrudder
05-29-2012, 01:52 PM
I imagine his time in the NFL went something like this:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/5WCYM.gif

He just wasn't cut out for it.

The Pencil Neck
05-29-2012, 01:54 PM
In the immortal words of the Austin Loung Lizards -- Life is hard but life is harder when you're dumb.

I had hopes for this kid because I think he's got the ability to be a player in this league. I had hoped his "attitude" issues were just a couple of cases of poor judgment that he'd be smart enough to learn from.

It's going to be interesting to see if he can straighten his head out and get back into it. Arian had some issues getting his head on straight his first camp. Let's see if we can get this kid turned around...

But I think he's got issues taking direction and he's too short-sighted and proud to suck it up and pay his dues.

Texn4life
05-29-2012, 01:55 PM
If the kid decided his heart wasn't in it then I applaud his decision. Too many times in life people do things because others want them to. No one should knock this kid if he figured out he just didn't have passion for the game.

Thorn
05-29-2012, 01:55 PM
C'est la vie. :lol:

Next!

Porky
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
He's a primadonna who didn't want to start at the bottom and work hard and work his way up the roster. He wanted to be handed the title the next AJ, be inserted into the starting lineup, and hey can someone drive up the Lambo already. Jeeesh, your making the guy wait already.

Dutchrudder
05-29-2012, 01:58 PM
In the immortal words of the Austin Loung Lizards -- Life is hard but life is harder when you're dumb.

I had hopes for this kid because I think he's got the ability to be a player in this league. I had hoped his "attitude" issues were just a couple of cases of poor judgment that he'd be smart enough to learn from.

It's going to be interesting to see if he can straighten his head out and get back into it. Arian had some issues getting his head on straight his first camp. Let's see if we can get this kid turned around...

But I think he's got issues taking direction and he's too short-sighted and proud to suck it up and pay his dues.

Sounds like he will make an excellent lawyer.

False Start
05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Just to think of how many guys would give their left ___ to get the opportunity to even be an UDFA, and play on an NFL team. If this is the case I just cant bring myself to feel sorry for him, or ever have any respect for him. What a vag. :kitten:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/djquitcopy.jpg

HOU-TEX
05-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Meh, this just gives another player that wants to play a chance now. NEXT!

Yankee_In_TX
05-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Maybe. So what though? He made the right choice then. Anybody who follows the game knows that he was a longshot.

My original point, I don't respect guys who act like they're making a 'choice' to give up a 'sure thing' when in reality that don't have the fortitude to try for a maybe.

If you believe you're the next Andre Johnson and you walk away, well I would respect 'man, OTA's kicked my ass and my body couldn't handle it' or 'I wanted to give it a go, but it was too much work for such a tiny chance' or something like that.

I don't respect the guys that act like they're Hines Ward deciding to retire. A handful of them every year.

In Jones' case we don't have a tweet or quote yet, but when the coach doesn't know why you're not there...

Yankee_In_TX
05-29-2012, 02:16 PM
think I saw a number between 4-5 a team out of training camp.

Practice squads are mostly UDFA rookies.

Last number i remember is that about 20% of NFl roster are made up of guys not orginally drafted by any team. the number is a bit skewed because kickers, punters, long snappers and now fullbacks are drafted in extremely low percentages.

sorry, no linkage just memory of a couple things i read awhile back.

MSR, thanks for the info.

G27RR
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
HOUSTON — Undrafted rookie wide receiver Dwight Jones missed Tuesday’s organized team activity with the Houston Texans.

Jones’ absence came amid online reports that he had quit the team. Texans head coach Gary Kubiak did not provide details on Jones’ status with the team after Tuesday’s practice.

Kubiak says Jones is “a young man with a lot of information (being thrown) at him.”

Kubiak says Jones is “struggling a bit today, and we’ll talk to him this afternoon and see where we’re at.”

Jones, a 6-3, 230-pound receiver from North Carolina, drew radio criticism several weeks ago after joking that he could be the “next Andre Johnson.”

From the Associated Press via the Washington Post

G27RR
05-29-2012, 02:49 PM
The Texans returned for their fourth day of organized team activities Tuesday without wide receiver Dwight Jones.

Jones, an undrafted rookie out of North Carolina who was one of T.J. Yates’ top targets in college told the Texans he no longer wanted to play football. They don’t expect him back.

Jones, 6-4, 230, would have been a long shot to make the team because of the logjam of receivers in front of him.
john.mcclain@chron.com

Wow, I guess he really did just up and quit. Wonder if they'll give him a chance to take it back and show up tomorrow?

Mark Berman on Fox also tweeted that Jones told the Texans he quit.

Wolf6151
05-29-2012, 02:51 PM
HOUSTON — Undrafted rookie wide receiver Dwight Jones missed Tuesday’s organized team activity with the Houston Texans.

Jones’ absence came amid online reports that he had quit the team. Texans head coach Gary Kubiak did not provide details on Jones’ status with the team after Tuesday’s practice.

Kubiak says Jones is “a young man with a lot of information (being thrown) at him.”

Kubiak says Jones is “struggling a bit today, and we’ll talk to him this afternoon and see where we’re at.”

Jones, a 6-3, 230-pound receiver from North Carolina, drew radio criticism several weeks ago after joking that he could be the “next Andre Johnson.”

This article sounds like he's on information overload and just can't process the mental side of the game as fast as he needs to. Hopefully they talk to him and we see him on the field tomorrow, I had high hopes for this guy, if not then lets look for someone to take his roster spot that wants it and can handle it.

GP
05-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Shocker.

Who saw this coming? (Raises hand).

NitroGSXR
05-29-2012, 03:26 PM
*sigh*

We going to have a long season if we are starting this whole "Next Man Up" business already? Whatever...

NEXT MAN UP!

Texans_Chick
05-29-2012, 03:29 PM

Smiling when he said it. He wouldn't say anything other than it wasn't an injury.

He wasn't getting many team reps at all. I'm guessing there was frustration with that.

Not going to judge too much....Foster had some issues his first year. Even so, I'm guessing Jones is gone.

Texans_Chick
05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
From the Associated Press via the Washington Post

Technically, I was the one that as the Dwight Jones question because nobody else was. :)

BullNation4Life
05-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Shocker.

Who saw this coming? (Raises hand).

Not making the team? HERE!

Quitting, before he even got to training camp? Gotta say didn't see that coming...

ATXtexanfan
05-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Maybe he lined up with Kareem and Jackson locked him up???

Best post ever

Premier
05-29-2012, 03:32 PM
*sigh*

We going to have a long season if we are starting this whole "Next Man Up" business already? Whatever...

NEXT MAN UP!

lol calm down, dwight jones was going to be on the practice squad this entire year if he impressed enough people in this organization to actually stick around..

i think 90% of this board has very unrealistic expectations regarding these UDFAs.. how many udfas come in year one and contribute to the offense/defense.. a few make the squad and pay dues through special teams involvement.. jones was just another UDFA destined for a season on the PS/IR..

G27RR
05-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Technically, I was the one that as the Dwight Jones question because nobody else was. :)

Good job. :clap: Glad someone was paying attention and asked about it.

ArlingtonTexan
05-29-2012, 03:50 PM
MSR, thanks for the info.

Here are some recent numbers....

http://sportsinreview.com/blog/?p=1436

DocBar
05-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Better to quit now and give someone else a shot than in the middle of TC when the going really gets tough.

pirbroke
05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
He tried to run out from the team, but old man Kubes chased him down and said hold on, let's talk about this later.

GP
05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
He tried to run out from the team, but old man Kubes chased him down and said hold on, let's talk about this later.

Kubiak is a softie. Jones will be back this week after Kubiak sits down with the kid and has an Andy-Opie moment with him.

Once Kubiak brings you into the fold, you have to do 3 years coddled labor as a project WR before being let go. Well, sometimes you get 4 years instead of 3.

Marcus
05-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Wow! I don't know what kind of family he has, but jeeez.

I've been around kids who were so spoiled growing up, had everything handed to them, that they come to expect everything to be handed to them.

Tragic. Just plain tragic.

BullNation4Life
05-29-2012, 04:21 PM

I've been around kids who were so spoiled growing up, had everything handed to them, that they come to expect everything to be handed to them.

Sounds like a QB that signed in Buffalo...Got to Texas, had everything handed to him, then got to the NFL and got his ass handed to him by LBs that were just as fast as he was....

The Pencil Neck
05-29-2012, 04:25 PM
I think everyone needs to back up and remember that Arian had the same sort of emotional adjustment to make. And he didn't get his head on straight until halfway through his first season.

I don't think that Jones will make it. I don't think he'll get his head around what he needs to do to make this team and I don't think he's got the humility to start at the bottom and work his way up.

BUT...

He might.

Wolf6151
05-29-2012, 04:39 PM

Unfortunately I think this applies to alot of football players. They get passed along in high school based on their athleticism because they've got a scholarship chance. Then they get to college where their athleticism is again more valued than their maturity, intelligence, and work ethic. When they get to the NFL everything has been handed to them and they're not prepared to work for a living. High School coaches use them and then College coaches use them and no one prepares them for life.

I agree with GP as well, Kubiak is far to soft on players, keeping guys on the roster for years that don't deserve a spot in the team.

thunderkyss
05-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Is it too late to get Jacoby back ?

:chickenLittle:

mussop
05-29-2012, 07:29 PM
what a waste of time it was messing with this turd! Man I wish we would of picked up Jarrett Boykin instead. Did anyone pick him up?

ObsiWan
05-29-2012, 08:43 PM
I think everyone needs to back up and remember that Arian had the same sort of emotional adjustment to make. And he didn't get his head on straight until halfway through his first season.

I don't think that Jones will make it. I don't think he'll get his head around what he needs to do to make this team and I don't think he's got the humility to start at the bottom and work his way up.

BUT...

He might.

Foster wasn't the only one. Anyone remember Darius Walker. He thought he was the shiznit coming out of Notre Dame. Didn't get drafted. Kubiak had to have a heart-to-heart with him before the light went on in his head too.

Not saying the light will ever switch on in Jones' head but its a shame to walk away from an opportunity like that. Foster needs to have a chat with the lad.

Corrosion
05-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Kubiak is a softie.

Obviously you dont know much about Gary .... You know what he lets you see via the media. You dont know the man behind closed doors where he keeps his "business."

Gary is a perfectionist and a workaholic. His expectations of himself are higher than any we fans place upon him. He expects his players to put forth as much effort as he does.

He wont call those players out in the open , in front of teammates or the media but he will chew their ass out in private.

Jones will be back this week after Kubiak sits down with the kid and has an Andy-Opie moment with him.

Thats a possibility .... but if the kid "gets it" and turns out a good NFL player , then what do you have to complain about? If he doesnt stick .... what did the team lose ?

Once Kubiak brings you into the fold, you have to do 3 years coddled labor as a project WR before being let go. Well, sometimes you get 4 years instead of 3.

Jacoby was servicable as a 3rd WR .... 50+ catches for 17+YPC in 2010. He showed just enough to stick around but was never really able to become more than a 3rd WR.
Had he not been asked to replace #80 , we wouldnt really be complaining - outside of that Ravens debacle ....

Yes , he made boneheaded mistakes .... but he flashed just enough to keep the staff and fans hoping he would figure it out. All world talent , short bus brain.

badboy
05-29-2012, 09:41 PM
I wonder how many of us have an inflated view of ourselves?

ArlingtonTexan
05-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Most of us, starting with me.

GP
05-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Obviously you dont know much about Gary .... You know what he lets you see via the media. You dont know the man behind closed doors where he keeps his "business."

Gary is a perfectionist and a workaholic. His expectations of himself are higher than any we fans place upon him. He expects his players to put forth as much effort as he does.

He wont call those players out in the open , in front of teammates or the media but he will chew their ass out in private.

Thats a possibility .... but if the kid "gets it" and turns out a good NFL player , then what do you have to complain about? If he doesnt stick .... what did the team lose ?

Jacoby was servicable as a 3rd WR .... 50+ catches for 17+YPC in 2010. He showed just enough to stick around but was never really able to become more than a 3rd WR.
Had he not been asked to replace #80 , we wouldnt really be complaining - outside of that Ravens debacle ....

Yes , he made boneheaded mistakes .... but he flashed just enough to keep the staff and fans hoping he would figure it out. All world talent , short bus brain.

LOL.

Whatever you say, man. You're right.

Hey...the sky is blue. (GP waits for the obligatory contrarian to respond...).

GP
05-29-2012, 10:13 PM
By the way, Corrosion, I have stated over and over that the dude was a UDFA and was a cheap gamble.

There's no story...we just b talkin football yo.

Playoffs
05-29-2012, 11:56 PM
I wonder how many of us have an inflated view of ourselves?Not me. I have low self esteem.

The Pencil Neck
05-30-2012, 12:06 AM

People who think they're perfect are very irritating to those of us who are.

Rey
05-30-2012, 12:13 AM
lol calm down, dwight jones was going to be on the practice squad this entire year if he impressed enough people in this organization to actually stick around..

i think 90% of this board has very unrealistic expectations regarding these UDFAs.. how many udfas come in year one and contribute to the offense/defense.. a few make the squad and pay dues through special teams involvement.. jones was just another UDFA destined for a season on the PS/IR..

I think it's the fact that the wr position is so open and the guy had draftable talent.

Corrosion
05-30-2012, 03:51 AM
By the way, Corrosion, I have stated over and over that the dude was a UDFA and was a cheap gamble.

There's no story...we just b talkin football yo.

No big deal , just pointing out that your view on Gary is off .... He's not soft by any stretch of the imagination.

He may come off that way in the media but you close the doors and he is blunt and to the point.
You can bet his players appreciate that - they dont get embarrassed in front of the media , fans or the team .... its a one on one ass chewing.

He's not the rah rah type , he is all business.

kiwitexansfan
05-30-2012, 04:01 AM
He was an UDFA for a reason.....

TheMatrix31
05-30-2012, 05:58 AM
What a loser. Good riddance.

Texan_Bill
05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Roberto Duran thinks Dwight Jones quitting was weak!!!
"No Mas!"

Thorn
05-30-2012, 08:45 AM

I've always been the wonderfully intelligent and good looking person that I am. Not sure what you mean here????

Marcus
05-30-2012, 09:21 AM
No big deal , just pointing out that your view on Gary is off .... He's not soft by any stretch of the imagination.

He may come off that way in the media but you close the doors and he is blunt and to the point.
You can bet his players appreciate that - they dont get embarrassed in front of the media , fans or the team .... its a one on one ass chewing.

He's not the rah rah type, he is all business.

This +1.

But I imagine there's a few Kubiak haters around here who threw up in their mouths a little when they read that. :)

Premier
05-30-2012, 09:31 AM
theres a video of kubiak chewing out foster in 09 at open practices.. cant remember what the video was, its not the E:60 video, it might be a NFLN story on foster.. either way i imagine the tolerance level of the UDFAs is a lot shorter than the draft picks.. kubiak yelled at foster and foster picked up the ball and got back in the drills line after kubiak told to him he can get the hell off his team if he didnt like it.. im guessing jones couldnt take it and went home..

steelbtexan
05-30-2012, 10:02 AM
This +1.

But I imagine there's a few Kubiak haters around here who threw up in their mouths a little when they read that. :)

Why is it that fans are considered haters because they think BoB/Gary/Rick didn't do a good job for the first 5 yrs of Garys tenure. I'm interested to see how the Texans perform with a much tougher schedule this yr.

BTW, I think the Texans will make the playoffs and if they catch a few breaks they should make the AFC championship game. Does that make me a hater?

Texan_Bill
05-30-2012, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=Corrosion;1961799]
You can bet his players appreciate that - /QUOTE]

I bet Jacquez errrrrrrrrr Juaquin doesn't. :lol:

GP
05-30-2012, 10:32 AM

He's not the rah rah type , he is all business.

No, I'm not referencing his public vs. private persona.

I'm talking about how there's not a legitimate WR except for #80. Without rehashing the back and forth we've already had on it, you know what I mean.

Think about it: If Dwight Jones had found a way to stick through camp, Kubiak would keep him around (even if it was only on PS). Dwight Jones took himself out of the equation and therefore probably detonated himself before he had a chance to take anybody else out with him.

And I bet they're still trying to find a way to get him to come back. If he comes back, there isn't a proper smilie for me to use to comment upon the hilarity of such an event.

Marcus
05-30-2012, 10:49 AM
No, I'm not referencing his public vs. private persona.

I'm talking about how there's not a legitimate WR except for #80. Without rehashing the back and forth we've already had on it, you know what I mean.

Think about it: If Dwight Jones had found a way to stick through camp, Kubiak would keep him around (even if it was only on PS). Dwight Jones took himself out of the equation and therefore probably detonated himself before he had a chance to take anybody else out with him.

And I bet they're still trying to find a way to get him to come back. If he comes back, there isn't a proper smilie for me to use to comment upon the hilarity of such an event.

So, in other words, you're sticking with the implication that he's a softy. Right?

Or what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

Rey
05-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't understand all these labels being thrown around...

Have I missed something? Are there posters here that know Kubiak personally or have interacted with the team behind the scenes?

Texan4Ever
05-30-2012, 11:08 AM
http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/tmbs/32f58ff723/fullsize_custom.

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/3287693/view/1/producttypecolor/16/type/png/width/280/height/280/nobody-likes-a-quitter_design.png

http://www.ratemyfunnypictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/quitter-640x801.jpg

http://www.i-resign.com/uk/shop/prodimg/img_official-quitter-shouty.jpg

Not to deviate from the thread, but who is that guy with the Nats cap on?

SheTexan
05-30-2012, 11:20 AM

Have I missed something? Are there posters here that know Kubiak personally or have interacted with the team behind the scenes?

It's the off season Rey, and everyones BORED out of their minds!! No tellin what you might read on this MB! MOST everyone believes he knows a little more than the next person, even if he has to make crap up. I get a big kick out of some of the arguments, but, at the end of the day we're all in the same boat. Just a bunch of diehards waiting for football season to get here. :toropalm:

GP
05-30-2012, 11:24 AM
It's the off season Rey, and everyones BORED out of their minds!! No tellin what you might read on this MB! MOST everyone believes he knows a little more than the next person, even if he has to make crap up. I get a big kick out of some of the arguments, but, at the end of the day we're all in the same boat. Just a bunch of diehards waiting for football season to get here. :toropalm:

Exactly.

GP
05-30-2012, 11:32 AM
So, in other words, you're sticking with the implication that he's a softy. Right?

Or what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

He's a softy. I have no doubt that he chews ass behind closed doors, but at the end of the day he will stick with Project X come hell or high water.

Notice I didn't say he's a candy ass. Nor did I say he's a powder puff. When I say "softy" I'm just saying that he tends to stick with his guys longer than warranted. The most curious examples are: Allowing Kris Brown to even "compete" with Rackers in camp a few years back, and allowing Jacoby Jones to continue fielding punts in the playoff game vs. Ravens. Those are the two stark examples of how Kubiak extends the trust stick a little too far.

I don't hate the guy for it. Just making an observation. But people on here get their undies in a bunch if Saint Kubiak has his image marred. Overall, he's been the best Texans HC we've had. I'm not thrilled with him, but neither am I dissatisfied with him. I just think he sticks with some things a little too long.

Dutchrudder
05-30-2012, 12:07 PM

I once met Kubiak at a luncheon and he shook my hand in a very weak and flimsy way. It wasn't very firm, nor overpowering, which is why I am certain that he is a softie.

JCTexan
05-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Not to deviate from the thread, but who is that guy with the Nats cap on?

Jim Riggleman. He was the Manager of the Nationals last year before he quit mid-season because he wanted to be extended beyond the 2011 season.

Texan_Bill
05-30-2012, 12:12 PM

I know a big-time member here that is related to Kubes.

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2012, 12:42 PM
On 790 Radio, today, ND Kalu and Greg Kock interviewed D. Jones' well-respected Plex personal trainer Dan Arnold. He came right out and said that Jones never put out all-out effect.........when he was there. And he did not show up for his sessions on a regular basis, whereas most of his other clients couldn't get enough. He then went on to say that, despite some well-known names have come out of that school, S. Carolina players have developed a similar reputation as a whole........a pattern that has been recognized by many scouts to be due to their players being extremely "pampered"........a pattern that has made many NFL teams to shy away from their players. In the same breath, he placed UT players as another group in which this has been recognized for quite a while.

Playoffs
05-30-2012, 12:56 PM
On 790 Radio, today, ND Kalu and Greg Kock interviewed D. Jones' well-respected Plex personal trainer Dan Arnold. He came right out and said that Jones never put out all-out effect.........when he was there. And he did not show up for his sessions on a regular basis, whereas most of his other clients couldn't get enough. He then went on to say that, despite some well-known names have come out of that school, S. Carolina players have developed a similar reputation as a whole........a pattern that has been recognized by many scouts to be due to their players being extremely "pampered"........a pattern that has made many NFL teams to shy away from their players. In the same breath, he placed UT players as another group in which this has been recognized for quite a while.
Good info, making sense now. MSR

Kid will look back in 15/20 years and wish he'd chosen a different path.

Kaiser Toro
05-30-2012, 01:18 PM

What does South Carolina and UT have to do with UNC? Moreover, trainers do one thing well, train. Outside of that, their ability to prognosticate is limited and biased towards their paying clients.

Playoffs
05-30-2012, 01:31 PM
...trainers do one thing well, train. Outside of that, their ability to prognosticate is limited and biased towards their paying clients.I'm not sure what the confusion is. The "well-respected" guy was Jones' personal trainer ... Jones showed little effort & missed workouts. That has reg flags all over it to me. How many guys make NFL rosters with with half-a$$ed effort?

Jones' well-respected Plex personal trainer Dan Arnold ... came right out and said that Jones never put out all-out effect ... when he was there. And he did not show up for his sessions on a regular basis...

GP
05-30-2012, 02:49 PM
James Allen (running back).

I was trying to remember if any other Texans player had quit. IIRC, James Allen decided one day he wanted to be a full time "musician." So he quit football.

Any others?

TdotTexas2Step
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure what the confusion is. The "well-respected" guy was Jones' personal trainer ... Jones showed little effort & missed workouts. That has reg flags all over it to me. How many guys make NFL rosters with with half-a$$ed effort?

But where did the S. Carolina reference come from?

GP
05-30-2012, 03:00 PM

Just a guess: The trainer talks to OTHER trainers. Sort of like how other professionals ring each other up and talk shop from time to time.

Or, players talk trash on other players from other schools.

Another likelihood: The guy had trained (and possibly still trains) athletes who attended S. Carolina.

My two cents.

GP
05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Let us also remember the scout who called Dwight Jones (paraphrasing) "A lazy, selfish, entitled turd."

Ouch.

TdotTexas2Step
05-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Just a guess: The trainer talks to OTHER trainers. Sort of like how other professionals ring each other up and talk shop from time to time.

Or, players talk trash on other players from other schools.

Another likelihood: The guy had trained (and possibly still trains) athletes who attended S. Carolina.

My two cents.

So he went from dicussing an individual to discussing reputations of entire schools (S.Car and UT) without making intentional or incidental connections to UNC?

Maybe I'm missing some context from the entire interview.

Either way, it doesn't look like we'll be picking up future wide recievers who peg themselves as the next AJ.

The Pencil Neck
05-30-2012, 03:11 PM
James Allen (running back).

I was trying to remember if any other Texans player had quit. IIRC, James Allen decided one day he wanted to be a full time "musician." So he quit football.

Any others?

Glen Coffee, RB, Niners.

Several of us here wanted to draft him. He played a year and then quit in OTAs of his second season. He said he left to become a minister. Then he got arrested for speeding and carrying a concealed firearm, iirc.

Double Barrel
05-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Yes.

I once met Kubiak at a luncheon and he shook my hand in a very weak and flimsy way. It wasn't very firm, nor overpowering, which is why I am certain that he is a softie.

And he shook with his left hand. We all know what that means...not that there's anything wrong with it.

:kitten::kitten:

GP
05-30-2012, 03:16 PM
So he went from dicussing an individual to discussing reputations of entire schools (S.Car and UT) without making intentional or incidental connections to UNC?

Maybe I'm missing some context from the entire interview.

Either way, it doesn't look like we'll be picking up future wide recievers who peg themselves as the next AJ.

CnD was re-capping a radio segment, so I took it as CnD summarizing and not giving a full word-for-word re-cap of what was said.

I think the overall context is that the guy being interviewed says that they (trainers, such as him) can spot dedication to the game as well as the opposite.

When I was in junior high football, there were guys my age who basically were gym rats. In our off-season conditioning and training programs, I only did what was required, and I didn't even put forth an honest effort when doing the bare minimum. I hated lifting weights. I hated running laps. I hated stretching. I LOVED getting onto the field and hitting people though. When I became a freshman in high school, I understood that although I enjoyed football itself...I wasn't dedicated the way others were.

Well, plus I was into rodeo and eventually had my college paid for via scholarship because of my talents as a calf roper and steer wrestler--So I made the decision to quit and not waste my time. The guys who really loved football went on to do great things with their high school days, and I just would have been doing the minimum and squeaking by.

I think trainers know fairly quickly who is for real and who isn't. I loved the game itself, I hated the mundane training in the off-season.

silvrhand
05-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Glen Coffee, RB, Niners.

Several of us here wanted to draft him. He played a year and then quit in OTAs of his second season. He said he left to become a minister. Then he got arrested for speeding and carrying a concealed firearm, iirc.

http://www.rolltide.com/genrel/050312aaa.html

He finished his degree this spring.

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2012, 04:05 PM
What does South Carolina and UT have to do with UNC? Moreover, trainers do one thing well, train. Outside of that, their ability to prognosticate is limited and biased towards their paying clients.

That's my mistake/typo on my part. He was referring to North Carolina not South Carolina.

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM

See my correction. Sorry for the confusion.. I meant to write NORTH Carolina.

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
BTW, Dan Arnold is no little hack trainer. He has a long list of top NFL ( and other sport) athletes that routinely come to train with him at Plex in the offseason. Julius Peppers has been training with him for years.

http://www.plex.cc/Plex/draft.html

http://www.plex.cc/Plex/testimonials.html

Kaiser Toro
05-30-2012, 04:22 PM
That's my mistake/typo on my part. He was referring to North Carolina not South Carolina.

I was assuming that was your intent in transcribing the radio content. Thank you for contributing, as always.

The trainer is simply regurgitating. Surely, he knows our starting QB is from UNC, and that our staff/scouting department does not make wide sweeping generalizations of institutions that have produced results.

I will look into his client list.

Kaiser Toro
05-30-2012, 04:26 PM
BTW, Dan Arnold is no little hack trainer. He has a long list of top NFL ( and other sport) athletes that routinely come to train with him at Plex in the offseason. Julius Peppers has been training with him for years.

http://www.plex.cc/Plex/draft.html

http://www.plex.cc/Plex/testimonials.html

Thanks for providing. I certainly would need to here the audio.

He is dogging UNC and UT and shows three horns and Peppers? As I mentioned, he is a trainer. Definitely not a PR guy.

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for providing. I certainly would need to here the audio.

He is dogging UNC and UT and shows three horns and Peppers? As I mentioned, he is a trainer. Definitely not a PR guy.

I dug it up for you and others to hear accurately and in totality. Here's the "In the Trenches" segment that included the interview with Dan Arnold re D. Jones (begins at the 16 minute mark):

http://www.sports790.com/player/?station=KBME-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=koch_and_kalu.xml&mid=22132850

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Gary Kubiak leaves door open for Dwight Jones to return
Posted by Nick Scurfield on May 30, 2012 – 5:33 pm

A day after rookie wide receiver Dwight Jones was a no-show at practice amid reports he had quit the team, Texans coach Gary Kubiak left the door open for him to return.

Kubiak was asked if any other receivers were absent on Wednesday aside from Jones, an undrafted free agent from North Carolina.

“Nobody quit (today),” Kubiak said, cracking a smile. “No, that’s tough. I talked to him (Jones) a couple times, and he had a good college career and he’s a talented young man. It’s a grind. It’s tough out here. Hopefully, he’ll get home and things will feel a little better about it and he’ll come back and give it another try someday. He’s a very good athlete.”

It’s uncommon for a player to up and quit (I can’t recall seeing it in the five-plus years I’ve been with the Texans), and it would seem even more peculiar for that player to reverse course and come back. Either way, it was a classy move by Kubiak to extend the olive branch during his post-practice meeting with the media.

As of now, Jones is still on the Texans’ roster. We’ll report back with any updates in the coming days and weeks.

Playoffs
05-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Class handling of this by Kubes.

chicagotexan2
05-30-2012, 10:21 PM
When was the last time a udfa wash out got this much attention with the texans? Man needs to grow up. When he has to find a real job he might see how good he had it.

GP
05-30-2012, 10:30 PM
The quote I read, didn't sound like Kubiak said he could come back to the Texans...sounded like he was saying "maybe he'll take another shot at it some day..." meaning in-general.

I bet if he came back this week, Kubiak would let him. Past Friday, he'll be off the roster.

Texn4life
05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
When was the last time a udfa wash out got this much attention with the texans? Man needs to grow up. When he has to find a real job he might see how good he had it.

Very ignorant statement...... If the kid's heart isn't in it then why should he continue playing? Everybody criticizing him doesn't know what's in his heart. It's obvious he doesn't truly enjoy the game of football, so he doesn't need to play for me, you, or anyone else.

infantrycak
05-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Very ignorant statement...... If the kid's heart isn't in it then why should he continue playing? Everybody criticizing him doesn't know what's in his heart. It's obvious he doesn't truly enjoy the game of football, so he doesn't need to play for me, you, or anyone else.

That sounds all nice and idealistic. You are assuming he has something he truly enjoys and has a talent to achieve. Lots of people don't have the skill to achieve what they truly believe they would enjoy. Lots of people are lazy and just not going to truly enjoy anything. So unless you have something lined up both in his mind and as a practical possibility then no it isn't ignorant to say he shouldn't walk away at this point. Working hard enough to ride the bench could set him up from league minimum alone to make more likely something he truly enjoys.

Texn4life
05-30-2012, 11:12 PM
That sounds all nice and idealistic. You are assuming he has something he truly enjoys and has a talent to achieve. Lots of people don't have the skill to achieve what they truly believe they would enjoy. Lots of people are lazy and just not going to truly enjoy anything. So unless you have something lined up both in his mind and as a practical possibility then no it isn't ignorant to say he shouldn't walk away at this point. Working hard enough to ride the bench could set him up from league minimum alone to make more likely something he truly enjoys.

For what though? If he doesn't want to play then he doesn't want to play! It doesn't make sense for him to try busting his butt if it's not in his heart. I know plenty of guys that could have played professionally but they just didn't love the game enough to put in the work every day. I don't knock them for it. People are saying he's stupid and immature. Maybe people need to realize that he just doesn't have passion for the game. I know a bunch more like him if that's the case.

Texn4life
05-30-2012, 11:15 PM
I hate when people say "If it was me I'd kill for the chance to play in the NFL". People don't live or play the game for YOU! Let this kid make whatever decision he wants to make and live his OWN life.

infantrycak
05-30-2012, 11:25 PM
For what though? If he doesn't want to play then he doesn't want to play! It doesn't make sense for him to try busting his butt if it's not in his heart. I know plenty of guys that could have played professionally but they just didn't love the game enough to put in the work every day. I don't knock them for it. People are saying he's stupid and immature. Maybe people need to realize that he just doesn't have passion for the game. I know a bunch more like him if that's the case.

It's called practicality and taking advantage of opportunity. Did he graduate? - is his plan to go back if not. Was his degree in anything useful that "he has heart" for or did he just pick something which sounded easy and is now useless? Does he understand the unemployment rate right now?

We don't know all of the answers to these type questions and if he has a well established plan with a reasonable means of success which will make him truly happy them more power to him. If he is just walking off from $250 k without a plan other than to go live with his mom until maybe getting a menial job while he figures out what he enjoys then he is a dumbass regardless of how much he enjoys the game.

Texan_Bill
05-30-2012, 11:26 PM
See my correction. Sorry for the confusion.. I meant to write NORTH Carolina.

Damn Doc Sean, I thought you had your ****e together!!!! :kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2012, 11:30 PM

In this case, it appears likely due to the little fish in the big pond conversion. It takes much more work for that formerly big fish to survive with all the bigger fish nipping at his tail.

Texn4life
05-30-2012, 11:31 PM
It's called practicality and taking advantage of opportunity. Did he graduate? - is his plan to go back if not. Was his degree in anything useful that "he has heart" for or did he just pick something which sounded easy and is now useless? Does he understand the unemployment rate right now?

We don't know all of the answers to these type questions and if he has a well established plan with a reasonable means of success which will make him truly happy them more power to him. If he is just walking off from $250 k without a plan other than to go live with his mom until maybe getting a menial job while he figures out what he enjoys then he is a dumbass regardless of how much he enjoys the game.

For such a smart guy I'm surprised you're taking this stance. I feel pretty strong about this for certain reasons, but this guy doesn't need to explain anything to anyone. If he feels like its not something he wants to pour his all into then no one should question that.

Texn4life
05-30-2012, 11:33 PM
In this case, it appears likely due to the little fish in the big pond conversion. It takes much more work for that formerly big fish to survive with all the bigger fish nipping at his tail.

Then you know what that tells me? He doesn't love the game like LeStar Jean or Holliday to push through the bad times. So why keep putting yourself through something when you don't love it? Because Cak says you should? I'm with him if he's not 100 percent bought in.

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2012, 11:34 PM
For such a smart guy I'm surprised you're taking this stance. I feel pretty strong about this for certain reasons, but this guy doesn't need to explain anything to anyone. If he feels like its not something he wants to pour his all into then no one should question that.

He probably, then, should have thought about it a little bit more before making his public comments.

Texn4life
05-30-2012, 11:37 PM
He probably, then, should have thought about it a little bit more before making his public comments.

To be the next Andre Johnson? I think he was trying to convince himself at that point. Everything I've read about this kid suggests that he's not a hard worker and hasn't put his all into the game. That leads me to believe that he never really wanted it.

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2012, 11:57 PM
I dug this major thread on the NC forum. It is worth following it through the entirel 3 pages (3rd page best)........entertaining and informative. Looks like his recent actions could have been predicted.........and evidently was by at least 31 NFL teams.

Undrafted Dwight Jones: Poster boy for UNC Underachievement (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=8951445&p=1)

House of Pain
05-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Does anyone else take solace in the fact that the Texans have become a team that demands a high work ethic to succeed?

Personally, I'm ecstatic. Whether D. Jones decides to stop tucking it or not, I'm proud to be a Texans fan.

GP
05-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Does anyone else take solace in the fact that the Texans have become a team that demands a high work ethic to succeed?

Personally, I'm ecstatic. Whether D. Jones decides to stop tucking it or not, I'm proud to be a Texans fan.

+1. I agree.

beerlover
05-31-2012, 12:35 AM

Going to have to change your name to the "House Of Hard Work"

infantrycak
05-31-2012, 01:30 AM

I don't think you are reading my comments fully. I haven't said he owes anyone an explanation - I would have expected the reporters to at least ask the question on his plans. I have never implied he shouldn't walk away from football, only qualified it with he should do so once he has a path to a higher passion. Look if the dude somehow has the means and desire to open a flower shop, join the forestry service or is inspired by the shot of getting on a crab boat and wants to quit football then more power to him. All I am saying is I think it is unwise (potentially either lazy and/or immature) to walk away from an opportunity like this IF you haven't already figured out for what you want to make the sacrifice.

Playoffs
05-31-2012, 10:15 AM
I dug this major thread on the NC forum. It is worth following it through the entirel 3 pages (3rd page best)........entertaining and informative. Looks like his recent actions could have been predicted.........and evidently was by at least 31 NFL teams.

Undrafted Dwight Jones: Poster boy for UNC Underachievement (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=8951445&p=1)
Wow.

Pretty much clears things up for me. Good find.

Time to close this thread and move on to Texans football players.

Marcus
05-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Wow ... I cackled when I read this gem...

If there is such a condition as being "functionally retarded", I think it's safe to say that Dwight Jones serves as the poster child.

My God. The guy is just pathetic and the fact that he actually managed to make it through UNC-CH serves to degrade the academic reputation of that institution, no matter how you slice it.

Let's (briefly and from a high level perspective) revisit the "proud" tradition of UNC-CH "student athletics, shall we?

- In the 80s, they had ilLiTerate in football and the "Galloping Mensans", Kevin Madden and JR "Cain't" Reid in bball.
- In the 90s, they had Remedial Mikey Thomas (and plenty of others).
- In the 2000s, they had Jaworski **** ing Pollack (and plenty of others, again).
- In the late 2000s, this sad, pathetic, mindless mental midget clumsily staggered into Chapel Hill where, 4 short years later, he would clumsily stagger off of campus clutching a useless "degree" with his crayon-stained fingers.

Those are but a few of the braindead, mouthbreathing alumni about whom the fine institution 29 miles to the west can proudly boast. Lookin' good, Hole Fan. Lookin' REAL good!

LOL!

Texans_Chick
05-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Why is this thread still going?

He was a UDFA. He didn't work. Move along now, nothing to see here.

The Pencil Neck
05-31-2012, 04:34 PM

He's a train wreck.

Blood and gore is fun when it happens to someone who seems to deserve it.

Texn4life
05-31-2012, 04:38 PM

Exactly my point. It wasn't like he's a 1st round pick who quit. The guy was a long shot at best to make the team. I don't get the outrage over it.

Corrosion
05-31-2012, 05:46 PM

Lots of things other than .... Dude quit got discussed in this thread .... but yeah , he's gone , its over. I need a nap anyway .

:peek:

GP
05-31-2012, 06:02 PM

It's the lightning rod effect.

There's a Texans UDFA linebacker who has a lightning rod issue too, so his thread is lengthy as well.

It's part of life. Especially in a sensationalized news culture.

Plus, the guy said he was the next Andre Johnson. Eeek. :(

thunderkyss
05-31-2012, 06:10 PM
I know a big-time member here that is related to Kubes.

Bill!!! you said you wouldn't say anything.

pirbroke
05-31-2012, 07:33 PM

His life seems to be much more of a train wreck than my own, which makes me love to follow him to make my life seem so much better.:vincepalm:

steelbtexan
05-31-2012, 07:42 PM

Apparently there's alot of things Jones doesn't put much thought into.

ArlingtonTexan
05-31-2012, 07:59 PM

A couple ideas

1) He was probably the most talked UDFA in our signings...a guy may of the draftniks would have rather seen taken in the 3rd round than the guy we took. If one of the lesser knowns had done the same, i might not have even started a separate thread.

2) The other thing is that there is a lot of "feel good about myself." Many of posters know that if given the chance that they would never just quit. Might get cut in two days, but would not just walk away from an opportunity that few people get.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Ha, ok

Adam Caplan‏@caplannfl

The #Texans are still holding out hope that UDFA WR Dwight Jones will show up at some point. He was placed on reserve/did not report list.

The Pencil Neck
07-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Ha, ok

By doing this, he can't go report to another team.

I wonder if he had a spat with one of the coaches and walked out hoping we'd cut him so he could sign on somewhere else.

Although, seriously, who else would want him?

HOU-TEX
07-24-2012, 12:20 PM
By doing this, he can't go report to another team.

I wonder if he had a spat with one of the coaches and walked out hoping we'd cut him so he could sign on somewhere else.

Although, seriously, who else would want him?

Dunno? Heck, I think our players would haze him silly if he was to come back. I don't expect him back, nor do I want him back

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Dunno? Heck, I think our players would haze him silly if he was to come back. I don't expect him back, nor do I want him back

Not that anything can be made of it one way or the other, but he remains on the official roster listing.

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Coincidentally, just reported:

So it’s no surprise that Jones didn’t report to training camp today. But the Texans, who put Jones on the reserve/did not report list, are still holding out hope that Jones will show up eventually, according to Adam Caplan of SiriusXM Radio.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl

The #Texans are still holding out hope that UDFA WR Dwight Jones will show up at some point. He was placed on reserve/did not report list.

For the rest of the story: LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/24/dwight-jones-doesnt-report-to-camp-texans-still-hope-he-will/)

NitroGSXR
07-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Kid can catch so I'd take him back. We got dibs so I'd like to monopolize that.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Coincidentally, just reported:

For the rest of the story: LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/24/dwight-jones-doesnt-report-to-camp-texans-still-hope-he-will/)

I don't think we're "holding out hope". Like PN said, we're likely taking precautions and blocking him from choosing another team.

Kid can catch so I'd take him back. We got dibs so I'd like to monopolize that.

Dude quit before even getting started. Maybe he just chose a different path? Who knows? I'd pass either way

NitroGSXR
07-24-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't think we're "holding out hope". Like PN said, we're likely taking precautions and blocking him from choosing another team.

Dude quit before even getting started. Maybe he just chose a different path? Who knows? I'd pass either way

Don't care. We own the rights to him and I expect the Texans to follow through with him. Just don't give him up for free just because he's having a temper tantrum.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Don't care. We own the rights to him and I expect the Texans to follow through with him. Just don't give him up for free just because he's having a temper tantrum.

They've put him on the reserve/did not report list. They're doing their part.

I'm just stating my opinion. Which is, me don't want

Wolf6151
07-24-2012, 04:11 PM
The Texans are doing the right thing, they're putting the screws to him by holding onto him so that he can't sign with anyone else. Hopefully he's in our last list of cuts so that other teams rosters get solidified making it to late to pick him up since he wouldn't have the time to learn another teams offensive scheme. All of this under the disguise of leaving the door open for him to return, makes us look good.

I'm thinking he'll be headed to Canada, and maybe he'll learn a lesson from all this.

amazing80
07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
If he was smart he would just show up....maybe Arian should reach out to him and give him some advice, since he traveled a rocky road to stay on this team

thunderkyss
07-24-2012, 06:00 PM
The Texans are doing the right thing, they're putting the screws to him by holding onto him so that he can't sign with anyone else. Hopefully he's in our last list of cuts so that other teams rosters get solidified making it to late to pick him up since he wouldn't have the time to learn another teams offensive scheme. All of this under the disguise of leaving the door open for him to return, makes us look good.

I'm thinking he'll be headed to Canada, and maybe he'll learn a lesson from all this.

Seems a bit childish to me.

When it's all said & done, there's only one winner in this league. That means every other team is the enemy. Why not let them deal with him & waste their time. & if he ever makes it on the field against our squad..... then it's time to let him know how we really feel.

Rey
07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
What you guys are saying doesn't make any sense to me. I really doubt the texans would hold onto this guy just out of spite.

He's an udfa with red flags that quit at the beginning of camp. I doubt teams would be rushing to sign him. And it'd hurt him a lot more to just erase him from memory and keep his name out of any kind of news.

My guess is that they are sincere in their actions and words.

For all we know the guy could be going through something deeply personal and the team understood that he wasn't in a place where he could focus on football. So they give him a pardon and save him a spot.

I understand why you guys minds' would automatically assume negative, but to me, it doesn't add up.

Lip service and straight up lying just to keep a guy that would struggle to find work anyways from going to another team? Yeah, not buying that.

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2012, 01:58 AM
I don't see it as a spite thing.

I see it as a "they think the kid is talented but mentally confused" thing. I see it as they think he might be trying to find a higher bidder for his services.

But the bottom line is at this point, it doesn't cost them anything to keep his rights so they might as well hold on to them as long as possible. You never know when something unexpected is going to happen and you might as well keep all your options opened.

Rey
07-25-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't see it as a spite thing.

I see it as a "they think the kid is talented but mentally confused" thing. I see it as they think he might be trying to find a higher bidder for his services.

But the bottom line is at this point, it doesn't cost them anything to keep his rights so they might as well hold on to them as long as possible. You never know when something unexpected is going to happen and you might as well keep all your options opened.

I just can't imagine that they'd hold onto him to keep him from another team. Seems like theyre doing him a favor rather than a disservice.

TexansBull
07-25-2012, 11:40 AM
I just can't imagine that they'd hold onto him to keep him from another team. Q

I could see the Titans picking him up just to spite us. The ravens, who knows what they would do after picking up Jacoby.

Rey
07-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I could see the Titans picking him up just to spite us. The ravens, who knows what they would do after picking up Jacoby.

Ok, well we will see because we can't hold onto him forever. If he's seriously thinking about another team and a team has expressed interest in him privately, it'll happen. He'll get another look at some point.

thunderkyss
07-25-2012, 12:43 PM

& what will that prove?

Either they'll waste their time & a roster spot on him (instead of investing it in someone with a future) or they'll prove that our staff doesn't know how to "handle" or "treat" people.

Either way, it really doesn't matter.

If our team has no use for him, they should just let him go. But like Rey, I think he's still on the roster because they think he's worth it & just needs some time to clear his head.

badboy
07-25-2012, 12:51 PM
What you guys are saying doesn't make any sense to me. I really doubt the texans would hold onto this guy just out of spite.

He's an udfa with red flags that quit at the beginning of camp. I doubt teams would be rushing to sign him. And it'd hurt him a lot more to just erase him from memory and keep his name out of any kind of news.

My guess is that they are sincere in their actions and words.

For all we know the guy could be going through something deeply personal and the team understood that he wasn't in a place where he could focus on football. So they give him a pardon and save him a spot. I understand why you guys minds' would automatically assume negative, but to me, it doesn't add up.

Lip service and straight up lying just to keep a guy that would struggle to find work anyways from going to another team? Yeah, not buying that.This is my feeling. Does not cost Texans anything and he could be salvaged if that is correct word. As fans we think NFL athlete playing a game & making more money than us at the UDFA level, he sucks. We might not know everything.
Many of us are quick to make sure a person is innocent until proven guilty, but others jump to guilty pretty quickly.

Playoffs
07-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Everything I've read on DJ from high school on predicted his quitting. Texans feel they don't need to max out the newly expanded rosters. The guy is on the books, out of the game, and a waste of time at this point. We've got rooks locked & loaded ready to fight for a spot. Let's focus on them.