PDA

View Full Version : OTA thread

Pages : 1 [2]

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Danieal Manning draws rave reviews in OTAs
Posted by Nick Scurfield on June 8, 2012 – 2:25 pm

Free safety Danieal Manning drew rave reviews from Texans coaches during organized team activities (OTAs), which concluded on Thursday at the Methodist Training Center.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips couldn’t stop talking about Manning, who signed with the Texans from the Chicago Bears in 2011 on the same day as cornerback Johnathan Joseph, on Twitter. Every single time he tweeted about individual players who stood out in practice during OTAs, Manning was included.

“D-Man was all over the field,” Phillips wrote on May 23. “D-Man continues great effort,” he said on May 24. “D-Man had another big day,” Phillips wrote on May 29.

I asked Phillips about Manning during the first episode of my “Off the Turf with Scurf” podcast last week.

“Tremendous player,” Phillips said. “Coaching-wise, when you see a guy play like he plays and practice like he practices, you realize how good they really are and how important they really are. Really important. He plays faster than everybody else. I’m talking about everybody else that I see play safety. He plays faster than they do. He’s special.”

Manning not only plays fast but is fast (4.46 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine in 2006). He missed three games with a fractured fibula in 2011 but still finished fourth on the team with 59 tackles as the Texans improved from 32nd to third in passing defense. He had two interceptions in the regular season and one in the playoffs.

Manning also averaged 27.4 yards on kickoff returns last season. He indicated Thursday that he won’t be returning kicks in 2012, smiling as he said, “If the head man don’t want me back there, I can’t be back there.”

That’s probably because the head man, Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, knows how important Manning is to the Texans’ defense. Kubiak mentioned this week that Manning is one of several players who look like they’re taking their game to another level.

“He’s a leader,” Kubiak said. “He loves to play. He’s 100 miles an hour all the time when you see him out here. He’s kind of becoming a leader of the back end in his own way, him and J-Jo (Joseph). Just another year of being comfortable here in Houston, and I think those things start to take over a little more.”

So why does a seventh-year veteran practice as hard as Manning does?

“You want to simulate what you’re doing in the game,” Manning said. “The only way you can do that is at practice. You’re pretty much going to be losing if you’re just doing it in the game. So you want to practice good habits and get your team doing the same thing. You want to come out here and lead with example before you start opening your mouth, and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

Manning is excited for his second season in Wade Phillips’ defense. He said Phillips’ defensive calls and packages put him in position to make plays, more so than when he was with the Bears.

“I’m just working on my leadership skills, developing my craft a whole lot better in this defense, playing the style of defense that they play,” Manning said. “I wasn’t used to playing in this defense. I played in a Tampa 2-based defense (in Chicago) and now it’s different in a 3-4, and I’m more aggressive now. There’s a lot I have to learn, also.”

As he continues to learn, he’ll continue to lead by example for the Texans’ younger players.

“When you come in with a mentality of putting a staple of a defense that wants to be physical and dominate and finish, rookies have got to come in and they’ve got to catch a hold of that chain,” Manning said. “That’s the staple we’re trying to set here as a defense.”

ObsiWan
06-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Danieal Manning to Brian Cushing: "Start leading by example before you open your mouth."
http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/6/8/3072219/danieal-manning-to-brian-cushing-start-leading-by-example-before-you
Actually, that's not what he said, it's paraphrased, and accordingly shouldn't be in quotation marks.

I don't like to post negative comments, but I had a bad day today so here goes. Got home, logged on and read the above comment from Thursday's OTAs. My first reaction was to think that Manning needs to shut the f*ck up and stop talking out of school. Then I listened to the video and now I'm not sure what he meant. Here's the video:
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Texans-Daily-Minicamp-plans-leaders-speak/fcec2f4a-18b7-43bd-af2d-9cb90293626a

What he said was "like I said about Cush, you know you want to come out here and lead with example before you want to start opening your mouth, and that's what I'm trying to do." Is he agreeing with Cushing or is he criticizing him? What do ya'll think?

I would have to say agreeing with Cush. Telling Cush he will lead by example and not running his mouth. Cushing doesn't run his mouth.

What's going on. We don't need teammates fighting amongst each other.

After I listened to both guys I think Manning was re-emphasing what Cushing had said earlier - that the vets should lead by example. Manning said that that's what he was trying to do in going full speed during practice, trying to set an example.

Didn't sound to me like he was bashing (or whatever) Cushing at all. Sounded like Manning was backing up what Cushing had said.

pec0sb0b
06-08-2012, 09:03 PM
After I listened to both guys I think Manning was re-emphasing what Cushing had said earlier - that the vets should lead by example. Manning said that that's what he was trying to do in going full speed during practice, trying to set an example.

Didn't sound to me like he was bashing (or whatever) Cushing at all. Sounded like Manning was backing up what Cushing had said.

I eventually came to the same conclusion. Totally irresponsible article and another good reason to avoid BRB.

Texn4life
06-08-2012, 11:08 PM
I didn't see it posted. Here's ESPN's Paul Kuharsky's wrap up from his visit to Texans OTAs.

Paul Kuharsky's wrap up (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/37605/wrapping-up-my-visit-with-the-texans)

Some wrapup thoughts from my visit to the Texans during their most recent three days of OTAs:

The confidence level of the defense is at an all-time high, and understandably so. These guys are young and hungry and well coached. I don’t believe any of them will be content to rest on their laurels from last year, and they’d hate to be seen as a one-year wonder. That doesn’t guarantee anything beyond top-flight effort, of course.

While Rashad Butler and Antoine Caldwell are at the front of the line to replace departed right tackle Eric Winston and right guard Mike Brisiel, don’t lock them in. I don’t think we’ll see two guys with no starting experience in the lineup, but I won’t be surprised if tackle Derek Newton or rookie guard Brandon Brooks fight his way into the lineup.

I wrap all talk of emerging receivers at this time of the year in a huge, cautionary flag. No position is in better position to look good in OTA and minicamp settings that wide receiver. In that context, Lestar Jean and Keshawn Martin are generating more buzz for the Texans right now than DeVier Posey is.

Nickelback Brice McCain is an underrated player who is coming on and looked to be the crispest of all the defensive backs in some settings. He’s got a huge up arrow on him. Also among defensive backs, undrafted rookie safety Eddie Pleasant from Oregon looks like a guy to keep an eye on.

We’ll hit on this more later, but the Texans should bail on the idea of a fullback. James Casey is really an H-back type. Use him that way. Derrell Smith’s been moved from linebacker to fullback and is worth rooting for. But this team has far too much proven offensive talent to put someone like Smith on the field for anything beyond a short-yardage situation. And that’s too small a role to carve out on a Sunday 46-man roster.

I see no reason to doubt that Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson will be ready to go for training camp as they come off of foot and knee injuries, respectively.

The versatile Connor Barwin recently wrote a concert review for the Houston Press. Check it out here.

Lucky
06-09-2012, 06:53 AM

That's exactly what Manning was doing.

Texans_Chick
06-09-2012, 09:53 AM
- A scary moment was reported when tightend Owen Daniels and cornerback Brice McCain collided with each other during pass drills. Both finished practice without any issues.

Kubiak (on if he held his breath on the collision) “Yeah, I sure did. We busted a route, made a mistake on a route and unfortunately, that’s football. Golly, just trying to teach but we’re lucky right there.”

I watched that happen. It's sort of like when you are playing flag football and two guys just don't see each other and run smack into each other. Don't know what parts hit each other, I was about a 1/3 of a football field away, but it was scary. Wasn't sure it was at first who it happened to.

They were lying on the ground for a bit while folks assessed them but both got up watched practice for a bit, and then played again.

steelbtexan
06-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Now, Steel, we've talked about your KJ, bashing...come on now. I can't wait til 1 of 2 things happens. Either KJ becomes the corner we need this year, and you will owe me some rep, or KJ will be awful, and I will owe you rep.

Deal?

Deal

Thanks for the rep, in advance. LOL

kiwitexansfan
06-09-2012, 03:29 PM
If you had told me McCain would be getting such positive reviews two years ago, I would of said GTFO.

Have to eat some crow on that one perhaps.

Rey
06-10-2012, 01:22 AM
If you had told me McCain would be getting such positive reviews two years ago, I would of said GTFO.

I really can't see McCain being anything more than what he is now unless he undergoes a big metamorphosis.

He's small and not all that strong or physical. But he is very quick and fast with excellent feet.

Basically, I'm not surprised he played well in the slot at all. I expected that.

If he becomes more than that I'll be in your shoes.

TimeKiller
06-10-2012, 01:53 AM

If he has another year of improvement in store there may be a lot of people lining up for it.....me too.....not ready to take a bite yet though!

As far as Manning not returning kicks that reeeeally opens a spot up for Holliday doesn't it? Manning could still get a call when the team needed a kickstart.

AJ, KW, Posey, Martin, Jean, HOLLIDAY haha :roast: it's coming and you know it.
:kubepalm:

Playoffs
06-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I really can't see McCain being anything more than what he is now unless he undergoes a big metamorphosis.
I'm not sure what more you want. ProFootballFocus had McCain ranked 25 out of 109 CBs in 2011 ..... J.Joe was ranked 13/109.

In coverage only, J.Joe was 9th & McCain 11th ( again out of 109.)

I'd take that production in 2012 and forward.

Lucky
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure what more you want. ProFootballFocus had McCain ranked 25 out of 109 CBs in 2011 ..... J.Joe was ranked 13/109.

In coverage only, J.Joe was 9th & McCain 11th ( again out of 109.)

I'd take that production in 2012 and forward.
Those rankings (however they're derived) don't take into account whom the CBs are covering. McCain is lining up against slot receivers, Joseph usually the opposition's #1 WR.

TejasTom
06-10-2012, 11:17 AM

I'll take that line up.

TdotTexas2Step
06-10-2012, 12:47 PM
I'll take that line up.

Would also be cool with that group of receivers, but Vandermeer did say he still feels like Maehl is a lock to make the team. Which would probably leave Holliday as the odd man out, especially if the staff feels like a trio of Manning/Demps/Martin can handle the return duties.

Holliday will probably be stashed away and called up periodically like last year.

Brisco_County
06-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Would also be cool with that group of receivers, but Vandermeer did say he still feels like Maehl is a lock to make the team. Which would probably leave Holliday as the odd man out, especially if the staff feels like a trio of Manning/Demps/Martin can handle the return duties.

Holliday will probably be stashed away and called up periodically like last year.

I think Maehl will probably make the team. He knows the routes now, has good hands, and can cut for separation better than anyone. Watch his 3 cone drill at the combine. Fastest time in combine history.

Lucky
06-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Would also be cool with that group of receivers, but Vandermeer did say he still feels like Maehl is a lock to make the team.

I think Maehl will probably make the team. He knows the routes now, has good hands, and can cut for separation better than anyone. Watch his 3 cone drill at the combine. Fastest time in combine history.
I'd have to see some of this ability on a NFL field before I pronounce a UDFA with a year on the practice squad and zero receptions a lock to make the team. From what I saw in training camp and preseason last year, Maehl looked really small. I don't see much he has to offer as a backup due to blocking and special teams limitations.

CloakNNNdagger
06-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I'd have to see some of this ability on a NFL field before I pronounce a UDFA with a year on the practice squad and zero receptions a lock to make the team. From what I saw in training camp and preseason last year, Maehl looked really small. I don't see much he has to offer as a backup due to blocking and special teams limitations.

I'm getting into this "conversation" late.......You talking about David Anderson, right?:)

Wolf6151
06-10-2012, 06:05 PM
As far as Manning not returning kicks that reeeeally opens a spot up for Holliday doesn't it? Manning could still get a call when the team needed a kickstart.

:kubepalm:

I like Manning not returning kicks, too big of an asset to risk on special teams. As for Holliday making the team to return kicks, I don't think it'll happen. I think Martin takes that spot and think that Holliday is practice squad at best and stands a good chance of being cut outright in training camp regardless of all the sunshine Kubiak's been pumping. I also think there's a veteran WR out there somewhere that makes the roster as the new #2 or #3 WR. I don't know who it is yet but I think we pick up someone once teams start making cuts in training camp.

TimeKiller
06-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Manning not taking the lion share of KR tells me Holliday or Maehl have a spot, I think Martin was drafted for punts and slot receiving and as far as Demps...I figure you may as well just take it at the 20 and skip the kick alltogether.

HOU-TEX
06-12-2012, 12:48 PM
I know it's not OTA's anymore, but close enough and didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm not real sure how Brooks can just be overweight in less than a week, but it appears he has

Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield
Kubiak on rookie G Brandon Brooks: "I did not like what I saw today. He was overweight. I'm not real happy with him right now

Stephanie Stradley‏@StephStradley
Kubiak: Brandon Brooks last weigh in not acceptable. Was doing good before.

@HoustonTexans minicamp: On field tryouts for Sims-Walker, Moran Norris, Prescott Burgess, Keith Browner. Tryouts.

Rey
06-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Maran Norris?

Now there's a blast from the past...

It's funny though because of his recent commercial on 610 that is now played all the time..

drs23
06-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I know it's not OTA's anymore, but close enough and didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm not real sure how Brooks can just be overweight in less than a week, but it appears he has

OUCH! He was asked to shed 18lbs and instead he came back a few days later packing extra. Hmmm, eating himself out of the league already?

Yep, Kubes is sounding pissed.

Rey
06-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Something certainly seems different with how Kubiak is talking to the media...

The Medic01
06-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Think he's not happy with the team right now.

Texn4life
06-12-2012, 03:18 PM
OTAs just ended 5 days ago. I doubt that Brooks has put on much weight, but he may not be satisfied with his weight loss up to this point. Especially considering we're having 90 plus degree temps out now. Not too hard to drop some lbs if you're committed to it.

Texans_Chick
06-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Nah, it is the same old Kubiak.

Texans do not like non-fit players. They monitor weight carefully. Always have.

Players go in and out of the doghouse.

Twitter reports, though offering some immediacy do not convey feeling, nuance very well

They are going to stay on Brooks with the weight.

Texans_Chick
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Sims-Walker caught a nice +20 yard catch from Keenum.

Moran Norris had a couple of nice catches.

They are fresh legs now. He wants to get a better sense of fitness levels to see if worth bringing into camp.

Rey
06-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Nah, it is the same old Kubiak.

Texans do not like non-fit players. They monitor weight carefully. Always have.

Players go in and out of the doghouse.

Twitter reports, though offering some immediacy do not convey feeling, nuance very well

I'm not doubting that kubiak is still the same. Just seems like he's airing more negative things than he has in the past.

Texans_Chick
06-12-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm not doubting that kubiak is still the same. Just seems like he's airing more negative things than he has in the past.

Nah, I think he's just being straightforward with what's going on.

His answers don't seem unusual to me.

76Texan
06-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Nah, I think he's just being straightforward with what's going on.

His answers don't seem unusual to me.

As usual, thanks, Steph!

JimBaker488
06-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Well it's not working so far, he's definitely off to a bad start.
Whether he's a big guy or more of an average size for his position, an issue with weight control/management obviously indicates a lack of discipline which is a real bad indicator for an NFL rookie, especially one they will basically be forced to carry on the active roster.

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2012, 08:55 PM
From SI:

Posted: Tuesday June 12, 2012 4:50 PM
Rookie Brooks a big presence on Houston o-line

HOUSTON (AP) - Listed at 346 pounds, Houston rookie guard Brandon Brooks outweighs anyone else on the team and is the heaviest player to ever suit up for the Texans.

Houston normally favors offensive linemen who are a bit smaller than the third-round pick, though they have said they don't see his size as a hindrance and insist he can do everything they want him to do.

Still, coach Gary Kubiak was unhappy with the player after he showed up to Tuesday's minicamp heavier than he was in their last workout.

"I did not like what I saw today,'' Kubiak said. "He's overweight and he's got to get down. But he's got a chance to be a good player.''

Some outsiders questioned Houston's decision to draft the Miami, Ohio, star because most of the Texans' linemen weigh closer to 300 pounds than 350.

"With his size and stuff, there's been talk about that he's not our type of guy,'' Kubiak said. "That's bull ... he may not look like some of the guys we've played with before, but he's just as athletic, so he's done a good job.''

Brooks knows he has to think about his waistline and said he's trying to eat more salads instead of "eating junk food all the time.''

"I've got to make sure I stay under control with my weight,'' he said. "I don't want it to get too high.''

He believes that if he plays the right way, pretty soon people will stop worrying about his weight.

"I just make sure that the angles I take to make my blocks are proper and I think by focusing on my technique that will eliminate how heavy I am,'' he said. "I can still get (to my blocks).''

The Texans are counting on Brooks to develop quickly with the loss of veteran offensive linemen Eric Winston and Mike Brisiel in free agency. Antoine Caldwell is penciled in as the starting right guard to replace Brisiel, who started 13 games for the Texans in 2011 before signing with the Raiders this offseason. But Brooks has already worked with the first team some and will certainly push Caldwell, who appeared in just five games last season.

"I see flashes that he's capable of being a starter in this League,'' Kubiak said of Brooks. "He's got a great opportunity. He's out there going head-to-head with (Caldwell) every day. It will be interesting to see how he does once we put the pads on.''

Though Brooks weighs a lot, he carries it better than some players of his size because of his muscular 6-foot-5 frame. He's always been interested in weight lifting and staying in shape in part because his father Robert Brooks was a bodybuilder when the younger Brooks was a child.

"Growing up every boy wants to be just like their dad and I started lifting weights from an early age and it continues to help me to this day,'' he said, adding that he began lifting weights at age seven or eight.

When he was younger, his father's fitness level seemed normal to him, but looking back the things he was doing probably shaped his approach to fitness.

"(He was) just like any other father except that he's curling close to 225,'' Brooks said with a smile. "That's what I was used to seeing.''

The transition to the NFL has been easier for Brooks because he played in a zone blocking scheme similar to the one Houston uses in college. But his head has still been swimming as he's tried to learn his new playbook.

"My playbook in college was like a magazine compared to the playbook here,'' he said. "So I've just been spending extra time and getting here an hour or two early to watch film and go over the playbook and that has really helped me out so far.''

Playoffs
06-12-2012, 09:18 PM
The quote from Kubes on Brandon Brooks:

(on G Brandon Brooks) “I did not like what I saw today. He’s overweight and he’s got to get down, but he has a chance to be a good player. Can you send that message to him? (laughs)”

Just think they're going to stay on him as they're counting on him to contribute this year.

JimBaker488
06-12-2012, 09:36 PM
The quote from Kubes on Brandon Brooks:

(on G Brandon Brooks) “I did not like what I saw today. He’s overweight and he’s got to get down, but he has a chance to be a good player. Can you send that message to him? (laughs)”

Just think they're going to stay on him as they're counting on him to contribute this year.
They are stuck with him on their active roster whether they like him or not. They can't move him to the practice squad because as a third-round pick somebody would snatch him up - probably somebody who runs an Oline with power-schemes where this big boy belongs. Texans better hope they weren't too cute by half on this pick ?

steelbtexan
06-12-2012, 09:52 PM
They are stuck with him on their active roster whether they like him or not. They can't move him to the practice squad because as a third-round pick somebody would snatch him up - probably somebody who runs an Oline with power-schemes where this big boy belongs. Texans better hope they weren't too cute by half on this pick ?

Dont worry Brooks will be starting at one of the OG spots by the end of the yr. Just because he's big doesn't mean he cant move well enough to be effective in the ZBS. Brooks ran a 4.99 40 and had great 10-20 splits and BP'ed 225 Lbs 32 times if I remember correctly.

Corrosion
06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Dont worry Brooks will be starting at one of the OG spots by the end of the yr. Just because he's big doesn't mean he cant move well enough to be effective in the ZBS. Brooks ran a 4.99 40 and had great 10-20 splits and BP'ed 225 Lbs 32 times if I remember correctly.

From what Ive heard .... and my sources are as bad as John McLaim's (all his are in Hillbilly Holler) .... the bold has a very good chance of being truth.

Honoring Earl 34
06-12-2012, 10:02 PM
From what Ive heard .... and my sources are as bad as John McLaim's (all his are in Hillbilly Holler) .... the bold has a very good chance of being truth.

I've got trained spy pigeons who told me this is part of the process for a rookie who they really like .

rmartin65
06-12-2012, 10:13 PM

All you have to do is watch the tape. He moves like a man 50-60 pounds lighter.

People need to screw the measurements, and just trust what they see on the field.

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2012, 10:17 PM

SBT........Why are you so mean?..............he benched 36...........next thing, you're going to spread the lie that I only benched 39!:pirate:

steelbtexan
06-12-2012, 10:21 PM
SBT........Why are you so mean?..............he benched 36...........next thing, you're going to spread the lie that I only benched 39!:pirate:

You're the only man I know that can bench press twice your weight 39 times. LOL

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2012, 10:27 PM
You're the only man I know that can bench press twice your weight 39 times. LOL

Lies, I say! They're all lies!:D

Rey
06-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Doesn't seem like Brooks is too concerned, basically brushing it off and saying my play will make you forget my weight.

Could get sticky.

ObsiWan
06-13-2012, 03:06 AM
Doesn't seem like Brooks is too concerned, basically brushing it off and saying my play will make you forget my weight.

Could get sticky.

Has Brooks signed a rookie contract? If so, I wonder if that weight bogey is in there as an incentive...?
:thinking:

Wolf6151
06-13-2012, 03:56 AM
I think the Texans are counting on Brooks contributing this year thus they're getting on him about his weight because they have such high hopes for him. They care about him thus they're getting on him, if they didn't care then they wouldn't care about how big he got. I can see him getting playing time at both LG and RG spots and then taking Smiths place at LG in 2013 permanantly when we cut Smith at the end of the year to save some money for salary.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I think the Texans are counting on Brooks contributing this year thus they're getting on him about his weight because they have such high hopes for him. They care about him thus they're getting on him, if they didn't care then they wouldn't care about how big he got. I can see him getting playing time at both LG and RG spots and then taking Smiths place at LG in 2013 permanantly when we cut Smith at the end of the year to save some money for salary.

If he ultimately demonstrates good mobility, it wouldn't surprise me to see him eventually tried at RT also.

TejasTom
06-13-2012, 08:08 AM

The discovery of Tex-Mex.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield
Kubiak on rookie G Brandon Brooks: "I did not like what I saw today. He was overweight. I'm not real happy with him right now

Kubiak: Brandon Brooks last weigh in not acceptable. Was doing good before.

From these quotes, I'm not necessarily taking that he has gained weight, but that he has not lost weight to a level (and on a schedule) that Kubiak feel comfortable with. During the draft, everyone was projecting him for a power line. And it was said many times that if he were taken by a ZBS team, he would need to drop some weight. Kubiak himself has said so much. He and Brooks disagree on his ideal playing weight............not a smart challenge on the part of Brooks.

Marcus
06-13-2012, 11:38 AM
From these quotes, I'm not necessarily taking that he has gained weight, but that he has not lost weight to a level (and on a schedule) that Kubiak feel comfortable with. During the draft, everyone was projecting him for a power line. And it was said many times that if he were taken by a ZBS team, he would need to drop some weight. Kubiak himself has said so much. He and Brooks disagree on his ideal playing weight............not a smart challenge on the part of Brooks.

Darn right it wasn't. Now every reporter under the sun will be hounding him forever about his weight. Ah well, there's really only one way to learn something, and that's the hard way.

06-13-2012, 12:44 PM
He's getting long in the tooth, but I'm excited to see what Moran Norris can still do. He seemed to block pretty well for Frank Gore these past few years. Hopefully he sticks.

DX-TEX
06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
The discovery of Tex-Mex.

Elvis Presley Memorial Combo at Chuy's.....godlike.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
He's getting long in the tooth, but I'm excited to see what Moran Norris can still do. He seemed to block pretty well for Frank Gore these past few years. Hopefully he sticks.

Used to be one of my favorites when he was with us.

HoustonTexans Rapid Reports

FB Norris: 'I just know my role'
June 12, 2012 2:34 p.m. - by Brandon Williams

FB Moran Norris, in for a tryout with the team he played with from 2002-05, on embracing the position: "I've been doing it for a while. I mean, I just know my role. I know I'm not going to catch 100 balls or run the ball 50 times. But what I'm gonna try to do is make all my blocks and catch all the balls that are thrown at me."

Honoring Earl 34
06-13-2012, 01:31 PM
I heard on the radio that Jarred Crick got overheated .

badboy
06-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Has Brooks signed a rookie contract? If so, I wonder if that weight bogey is in there as an incentive...?
:thinking:It will. He needs to stay away from the junk food he mentions. He can still eat tasty food but not the crap.

Texans_Chick
06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
I heard on the radio that Jarred Crick got overheated .

It was hot as bleep out there.

I'm not much of a person who sweats but it was hella hot out there. No clouds. Haze. No breeze at all.

A lot of guys were having issues. They put Crick next to the portable fans.

Takes a while to get acclimated to heat. Kubiak is trying to prepare the players for the longer practices during training camp. Those practices start at 8 instead of 9:50 but the start temps end up being the same, and often by July, there's no breeze like we've had for some of OTAs.

They need to stay on Brooks to be in good condition. Weight has always been the number 1 concern with him so they are going to be on him like a hawk. Offensive linemen don't tap out of the game. So they have to be in great condition. Run blocking in particular with what the Texans do means a lot of running for linemen in the second level.

badboy
06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
I am hopefull we can go with a decent rotation to allow fresher 4th quarters from Oline.

infantrycak
06-13-2012, 03:05 PM
I am hopefull we can go with a decent rotation to allow fresher 4th quarters from Oline.

We barely if ever rotate OLmen.

Texans_Chick
06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
We barely if ever rotate OLmen.

Yep, and most teams don't rotate Olinemen.

And the Texans Olinemen are supposed to be "athletic" - Code for can move.

Even though run blocking is supposed to be easier because you are going forward instead of defending, the linemen will tell you that run blocking will get you exhausted because of how downfield you are getting.

That's what makes Duane Brown fun to watch--even in OTAs, he goes way down field.

Kubiak is trying to get Brooks into that kind of shape.

IDEXAN
06-13-2012, 03:26 PM
on how G Brandon Brooks responded to the comments about his weight yesterday) “Well he weighed in lighter so I don’t know what he did last night. He can’t play at the weight he was at yesterday, he can’t help the team. I’m trying to teach him a lesson now before we get started.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Wednesday-minicamp/13ec72e0-bc32-4454-88b5-80fe1ddd9883
Brooks is getting deeper and deeper into Kubiaks dog-house. The HCs comments have a decidedly disgusted tone to them.
WR DeVier Posey) “He’s inconsistent. He missed a year of football, which you can tell. He has to respond to corrections quicker, but the talent is all there. Missing all that ball last year has had an effect on him, so we have to get him caught up.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Wednesday-minicamp/13ec72e0-bc32-4454-88b5-80fe1ddd9883
And Posey isn't doing very good either. Could we have 2 third-round busts in the same year ?
And third-round picks aren't supposed to be projects, but that's what these guys are looking like.

Playoffs
06-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Could we have 2 third-round busts in the same year ?
LOL, let's not "bust" them before training camp. :D

Brooks will be fine. Not unexpected that Posey is rusty. Coach just lighting their tail-feathers.

Honoring Earl 34
06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
on how G Brandon Brooks responded to the comments about his weight yesterday) “Well he weighed in lighter so I don’t know what he did last night. He can’t play at the weight he was at yesterday, he can’t help the team. I’m trying to teach him a lesson now before we get started.”
Brooks is getting deeper and deeper into Kubiaks dog-house. The HCs comments have a decidedly disgusted tone to them.
WR DeVier Posey) “He’s inconsistent. He missed a year of football, which you can tell. He has to respond to corrections quicker, but the talent is all there. Missing all that ball last year has had an effect on him, so we have to get him caught up.”
And Posey isn't doing very good either. Could we have 2 third-round busts in the same year ?
And third-round picks aren't supposed to be projects, but that's what these guys are looking like.

Just mind games to get them prepared for the season . It's up to them to respond in a positive manner .

ps ... I bet neither Dad is there so that's a good sign . :cowboy1:

Corrosion
06-13-2012, 04:41 PM
LOL, let's not "bust" them before training camp. :D

Brooks will be fine. Not unexpected that Posey is rusty. Coach just lighting their tail-feathers.

Yeah , lets see them on the field against real competition before we lable them busted.

Texans_Chick
06-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Yep, he's scaring them now to get ready for camp.

Can't have Brooks coming into camp fat, or Posey think he's owed anything.

Just coaching them up.

Wolf6151
06-13-2012, 05:49 PM
It's better to kick them in the ass now so that they're prepared for TC in August, if there's such a thing as being prepared for August in Houston, than to be shipping them off to the hospital everyday for heatstroke. We drafted a bunch of guys from the midwest and northern states who aren't used to the heat down here. If they think it's hot now, they haven't seen anything yet, wait til August. I hope these guys continue to workout outdoors everyday on their own when minicamp ends and before TC begins.

TexansRule1
06-14-2012, 12:25 AM
I can't think of a single player who has been singled out in comments by Kubiak (in his doghouse) and not ended up losing his spot on the team. The closest is Foster, but I don't remember him being called out in public comments by Kubiak though he was reportedly in his doghouse early.

Can anyone name a player called out that ultimately became an effective starter?

TexanSam
06-14-2012, 12:30 AM

I disagree. First and second round picks you expect to immediately come in and contribute, if not start. Third round picks can go either way, IMO. You take a chance on them because of they're talent and let them develop. Not every pick is going to be polished right off the back.

It's too early to call them busts. It's not even training camp! Let's see how Brooks looks like by that time, if he devotes himself to losing weight and getting better. Same for Posey (except for the losing weight part).

Rey
06-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Yep, he's scaring them now to get ready for camp.

Can't have Brooks coming into camp fat, or Posey think he's owed anything.

Just coaching them up.

You still don't see anything different with how kubiak is talking to the media?

I don't ever remember a time where he's said this many negative things/called players out like this.

TimeKiller
06-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Brandon Brooks, come to Jesus.

Devier Posey, come to Jesus.

Who's next on, "You're a proffessional football player now so you damn well better train like it" ??????

IDEXAN
06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
I disagree. First and second round picks you expect to immediately come in and contribute, if not start. Third round picks can go either way, IMO. You take a chance on them because of they're talent and let them develop. Not every pick is going to be polished right off the back.

It's too early to call them busts. It's not even training camp! Let's see how Brooks looks like by that time, if he devotes himself to losing weight and getting better. Same for Posey (except for the losing weight part).
OK, my choice of "bust" is premature and inappropriate here, but I don't think project is, especially for the Ohio State WR. So far Kubiak seems to be saying he's all about making up for his lost year ? Sounds like a project to me ?
But I'm still trying to figure out the Brooks pick ? The Texans rarely use anything higher than a 4th or 5th round pick on an interior Olineman ? Who else besides Caldwell has this regime made such a decision for a third-round pick, and he had a sterling resume to include multiple years as a starter at SEC-powerhouse and national champ 'Bama. Now they pick this guy who's a dubious fit in their ZB system with minimal experience vs major-league college competition. I don't get it ?

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
OK, my choice of "bust" is premature and inappropriate here, but I don't think project is, especially for the Ohio State WR. So far Kubiak seems to be saying he's all about making up for his lost year ? Sounds like a project to me ?
But I'm still trying to figure out the Brooks pick ? The Texans rarely use anything higher than a 4th or 5th round pick on an interior Olineman ? Who else besides Caldwell has this regime made such a decision for a third-round pick, and he had a sterling resume to include multiple years as a starter at SEC-powerhouse and national champ 'Bama. Now they pick this guy who's a dubious fit in their ZB system with minimal experience vs major-league college competition. I don't get it ?

Simple explanation.......It wasn't Wade's pick.:kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Kubiak yesterday at OTAs:

(on what makes him think FB Moran Norris can help the team) “I don’t know. Our situation right now, I’m a little bit concerned. I’ve got James (Casey), who plays two spots for me. He is filling a tight end role as well as a fullback role. I’ve got a young kid I’m trying to convert, who is a defensive football player. It’s a little hairy conversion. Can we get there by September? I wanted to get a guy with some experience. Moran (Norris) has played well. He played well in San Francisco and has done some good things. I think he’s an 11-year guy; he’s been around for awhile. It’s an opportunity for him if it’s still in his tank to help this team. I was impressed with him. To be honest with you, I heard him on some radio show driving home from work one day and I listened to him talk and I called (Executive Vice President/General Manager) Rick (Smith) and said, ‘Let’s bring him in for a tryout.’ I’ve been impressed, he’s looked good.”

(on how the team was today) “Not good today. We would’ve got beat today. We went a little longer today. We just weren’t very sharp on both sides of the ball and I tried to let them know what is going to be expected of them a month from now. We have to send a message and get it sent here quick. Today wasn’t good enough.”

badboy
06-14-2012, 10:26 AM
We barely if ever rotate OLmen.I know & that's why I posted what I did. I think most fans are not confident of Oline other than Brown and Myers.

badboy
06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
And third-round picks aren't supposed to be projects, but that's what these guys are looking like.I know you are not saying they will be busts but voicing caution and concern over players who should be more NFL prepared. I think if we view Brooks & Posey as players we hoped to provide an immediate impact & probable starter material by mid to late season they could be classified as busts at some point after say game 3. However if you feel that third round picks for this roster are player who should and strength to bottom of roster, then this is just a blip. I wonder why Brooks' coach did not place him on a strict diet? A coach should want his players to excel in NFL not be just a draft selection.

beerlover
06-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Brooks could have a health issue which may need medication. They should run all possibility's. I don't envision why the recent weight gain in this hot workout enviroment during OTA's unless he has untreated/diagnosed condition?

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Brooks could have a health issue which may need medication. They should run all possibility's. I don't envision why the recent weight gain in this hot workout enviroment during OTA's unless he has untreated/diagnosed condition?

Kubiak recently followed up that his next weigh in was more acceptable. With such apparent significant changes in such a short perior of time, it almost makes me think that salt intake may be part of his problem. You cannot lose or gain more than 1.5 pounds per day. Any change greater than that is usually due to salt intake with its accompanying water gain or loss. I've seen some of my patients gain or lose 10 to 15 pounds in one day after just a Chinese dinner or a large bag of potato chips or large Ceasar's salad or a couple of Bloody Marys.........all laden with a huge amount of salt. Salt weight gain is most likely a result of water retention. Water is heavy: a gallon weighs 8.34 pounds. In the body, sodium is found in the blood stream, and can be concentrated in the tissues outside of the blood vessels. If sodium becomes too concentrated, water rushes in to lower the concentration. If this occurs in the blood stream, blood pressure goes up. If this occurs in the soft tissues, the result is puffiness, often seen in the fingers and ankles as gravity pushes water to the ground. To eliminate excess sodium and water, sodium intake must be reduced and large amounts of plain water need to be taken in to flush out the system. Large non fat weight swings or inability to lose weight are a consequence of ongoing ignoring of salt. Not good for those who love their buffalo wings and French fries.

The Pencil Neck
06-14-2012, 12:17 PM
You cannot lose or gain more than 1.5 pounds per day.

That's not entirely true. If I were to weigh myself right now and then eat a couple of pounds of food and re-weigh myself, I'd be 2 pounds heavier.

To your point, it's not "real" weight gain because it's not actual fat or muscle gain but it is "weight". Any single measurement of weight can be pretty misleading as to someone's "actual" weight.

For years, I was almost OCD about weighing myself. I would weigh myself 6-10 times a day. My weight (which was approximately 200 pounds at the time) regularly varied up to 7 pounds during the course of a day. I expected to be at my lightest before breakfast but I was usually at my lightest in the late afternoon/early evening before dinner. Now I just weigh myself once per day right before lunch and having spikes in my weight is not unusual.

Like you said, he probably just got weighed at what was a bad time for him that particular day. He might have had a lot of salt intake, a lot of fluid intake, or he might have needed to use the restroom or something.

I don't think it's really an issue.

IDEXAN
06-14-2012, 01:02 PM
A health issue ? I think maybe they call it the "KFC-Affinity-Syndrome".

Brisco_County
06-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Water is heavy: a gallon weighs 8.34 pounds. In the body, sodium is found in the blood stream, and can be concentrated in the tissues outside of the blood vessels. If sodium becomes too concentrated, water rushes in to lower the concentration. If this occurs in the blood stream, blood pressure goes up. If this occurs in the soft tissues, the result is puffiness, often seen in the fingers and ankles as gravity pushes water to the ground. To eliminate excess sodium and water, sodium intake must be reduced and large amounts of plain water need to be taken in to flush out the system. Large non fat weight swings or inability to lose weight are a consequence of ongoing ignoring of salt. Not good for those who love their buffalo wings and French fries.

I imagine the weight swing is a much broader range if you weight nearly 350 lbs. It could easily be 5 lbs per day in either direction, especially with all the water being consumed because of the heat.

Playoffs
06-14-2012, 01:17 PM
...I've seen some of my patients gain or lose 10 to 15 pounds in one day after just a Chinese dinner or a large bag of potato chips or large Ceasar's salad or a couple of Bloody Marys.........all laden with a huge amount of salt.
:yikes:

GP
06-14-2012, 02:30 PM
You still don't see anything different with how kubiak is talking to the media?

I don't ever remember a time where he's said this many negative things/called players out like this.

I agree with you. It's different than the past couple years.

When was the last time Kubiak flat out said "We would have got beaten today."? He's going to serve up an ass chewing of epic proportions if they don't mesh and get it going in the direction he wants. I think Kubiak the Volcano is beginning to show signs of an eruption, IMO.

He's working with fresh faces and knows they have to be ready...due to departures of Winston, Brisiel, Dreessen, Jacoby Jones. He's not scared, he's just wanting them to understand they have no time for coming along slowly. All hands on deck. Man your battle stations.

infantrycak
06-14-2012, 03:04 PM
I know & that's why I posted what I did. I think most fans are not confident of Oline other than Brown and Myers.

This is what you said:

What the hell does fan confidence have to do with anything? NFL teams rarely rotate OLmen. They certainly aren't going to change their standard practices for fan confidence.

HOU-TEX
06-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Looks like we signed 2 of the 4 that tried out. No Sims-Walker signing as of now

Houston Texans‏@HoustonTexans

The Texans signed FB Moran Norris and DE Keith Browner, who both participated in Houston’s three-day mini-camp on a tryout basis.

Playoffs
06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Shayne Graham was crushing the ball in Texans practice making all of his 50+yarders with plenty of room to spare. Randy Bullock struggled.

Texans_Chick
06-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Shayne Graham was crushing the ball in Texans practice making all of his 50+yarders with plenty of room to spare. Randy Bullock struggled.

Yep. If the kicks were in Reliant, there were no net in the Bull Pen, the ball would land approximately Row H. He will killing it.

All of this was at the end of practice in front of team.Kubiak said competition will continue but whoa, it wasn't even close today.

Brandon Brooks had some heat issues and had to leave during a series. Kubiak said he was fine.

It was hot today. Not as hot as yesterday when there wasn't any breeze at all. Practice was better. (Less presnap issues).

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Texans wrap up mini-camp with whirlwind Thursday

Posted 1 hour ago

By Nick Scurfield

How busy was it at Reliant Stadium and the Methodist Training Center on Thursday? Let us count the ways:

1. The Texans signed first-round draft pick Whitney Mercilus in the morning.

2. The Texans had their final practice of mini-camp at the Methodist Training Center.

3. The Texans announced contract extensions for head coach Gary Kubiak and general manager/executive vice president Rick Smith, through 2014 for Kubiak and 2016 for Smith.

4. The Texans signed fullback Moran Norris and defensive end Kenneth Browner, two of four players to try out during mini-camp.

It was such a whirlwind day that the final practice of mini-camp, which was also the Texans’ final practice until training camp in late July, was almost an afterthought.

Thursday's practice marked the end of three days of practice for young players and reserves, and 10 practices during organized team activities (OTAs) in the three previous weeks.

“I think it’s been good,” Kubiak said. “I was frustrated yesterday, y’all know. I had the young guys out here for the last three days, but I think we’ve made a lot of progress. The core of our football team and the veteran guys, I feel very good about.

"I think a big key to our season this year is do we find four or five more guys out of that group that just left the field that become big-time contributors to our team. That’s going to be the key, so we have really got to demand that some of these young guys grow up very, very fast. So we’re going to stay on them. We’re going go to coach the heck out of them.

"I’ve always promised y’all this team will work hard and play hard, and (we have) big challenges ahead, but we’re looking forward to having a good team.”

Smith, who along with Kubiak is entering his seventh season with the Texans, said he was pleased with what he saw in OTAs and mini-camp.

“First of all, you see right away that our guys are far along in the systems and schemes,” Smith said. “The other thing that just jumps out, and this has been pretty consistent over the last few years, is the effort. Guys are working hard. It’s hot out here, and that’s a part of what makes our football team because we are well-conditioned. I have seen the group of men that are working and coming together. I see a lot of belief in what they’re doing and in each other and that’s important, so I’m excited about the season.”

Up next, players will be on vacation for six weeks until the start of training camp. Injured players like Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Darryl Sharpton and Brett Hartmann will continue to rehab at Reliant Stadium, but the team facility will otherwise be a veritable ghost town.

Kubiak was asked what concerns he has about the players being on their own.

“It’s a self-motivation deal,” he said. “That’s all you can do is preach to them. I think last year is a great example. I think our guys really handled their business very well, and guys don’t know what you’ve been doing until you show up on the 27th (of July). I think we’ve got the right guys and they’ll continue to work, and we’ve got some players that have got ground to make up like Schaub and Johnson and people like that, so it’s a very, very important time for them.”

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Coach speak:

(on the play of kickers Randy Bullock and Shayne Graham throughout OTAs and mini-camp) “They’re both very capable of being our kicker, so it’ll be interesting to see who wins the job, but it’ll be very competitive.”

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Outside linebacker/defensive end Keith Browner was also signed today.

Sorry, this was already reported above.

Texan_Bill
06-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Yep. If the kicks were in Reliant, in the Bull Pen, the ball would land approximately Row H. He will killing it.

All of this was at the end of practice in front of team.Kubiak said competition will continue but whoa, it wasn't even close today.

Brandon Brooks had some heat issues and had to leave during a series. Kubiak said he was fine.

It was hot today. Not as hot as yesterday when there wasn't any breeze at all. Practice was better. (Less presnap issues).

Grammar much?? Or is this after the red wine was flowing?? ;) I kid!! Love ya Steph!!

GP
06-14-2012, 09:31 PM
“I think it’s been good,” Kubiak said. “I was frustrated yesterday, y’all know. I had the young guys out here for the last three days, but I think we’ve made a lot of progress. The core of our football team and the veteran guys, I feel very good about.

"I think a big key to our season this year is do we find four or five more guys out of that group that just left the field that become big-time contributors to our team. That’s going to be the key, so we have really got to demand that some of these young guys grow up very, very fast. So we’re going to stay on them. We’re going go to coach the heck out of them.

"I’ve always promised y’all this team will work hard and play hard, and (we have) big challenges ahead, but we’re looking forward to having a good team.”

Seems along the lines of what I said earlier today...

I agree with you. It's different than the past couple years.

When was the last time Kubiak flat out said "We would have got beaten today."? He's going to serve up an ass chewing of epic proportions if they don't mesh and get it going in the direction he wants. I think Kubiak the Volcano is beginning to show signs of an eruption, IMO.

He's working with fresh faces and knows they have to be ready...due to departures of Winston, Brisiel, Dreessen, Jacoby Jones. He's not scared, he's just wanting them to understand they have no time for coming along slowly. All hands on deck. Man your battle stations.

Kubiak is making sure those four or five rookies ("the young guys") realize that they have no room for dogging it. Not in the film room, the weight room, the practice field, the lifestyle choices (such as food choices), and everything else.

You can sense that this year Kubiak is trying to transform the playoff team to a Super Bowl team. It's not like years past. You can see it in Kubiak's remarks, he's going the extra mile to push this team to greatness.

BTW, interesting that the GM gets an extension through 2016 and the HC gets an extension through 2014. Is there a reason for the difference in years of both deals?

Texans_Chick
06-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Grammar much?? Or is this after the red wine was flowing?? ;) I kid!! Love ya Steph!!

Hey man, I woke up this morning at 4:30am. Takes me three hours after camp to feel normal and I'm not even running around in the heat.

Dog ate my homework too. :texflag:

Texans_Chick
06-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Seems along the lines of what I said earlier today...

Kubiak is making sure those four or five rookies ("the young guys") realize that they have no room for dogging it. Not in the film room, the weight room, the practice field, the lifestyle choices (such as food choices), and everything else.

You can sense that this year Kubiak is trying to transform the playoff team to a Super Bowl team. It's not like years past. You can see it in Kubiak's remarks, he's going the extra mile to push this team to greatness.

BTW, interesting that the GM gets an extension through 2016 and the HC gets an extension through 2014. Is there a reason for the difference in years of both deals?

Kubiak negotiated his own contract. Could have had a longer term but suggested he'd earn more money this way.

Texan_Bill
06-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Hey man, I woke up this morning at 4:30am. Takes me three hours after camp to feel normal and I'm not even running around in the heat.

Dog ate my homework too. :texflag:

Awesomeness!!!

I actually figured you were posting from your phone and we all know how that works out!!!:gun:

Texans_Chick
06-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Awesomeness!!!

I actually figured you were posting from your phone and we all know how that works out!!!:gun:

Nope on the computer.

When I'm posting on my phone, "Schaub" keeps wanting to be changed into "Sushi." "Kubiak" keeps wanting to be changed into "Karma."

It's hard to read the screen in the direct sunlight, so at some point, I am going to do one of these autocorrects.

BTW, camp camp is suppose to start end of July, and birds were telling me that training camp tickets are going to be offered via the website. Think that it will be around the second week of July.

So there you have it.

infantrycak
06-14-2012, 10:21 PM
When I'm posting on my phone, "Schaub" keeps wanting to be changed into "Sushi." "Kubiak" keeps wanting to be changed into "Karma."

It's hard to read the screen in the direct sunlight, so at some point, I am going to do one of these autocorrects.

Autocorrect can certainly be a pain but I am surprised your phone doesn't learn. We call two of our kids Poot and Bear and my phone very quickly learned not just to correct them but put them up as suggestions.

Texans_Chick
06-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Autocorrect can certainly be a pain but I am surprised your phone doesn't learn. We call two of our kids Poot and Bear and my phone very quickly learned not just to correct them but put them up as suggestions.

Blackberry.

It's terrible but I can type fast on it.

TejasTom
06-15-2012, 12:11 AM
...I've seen some of my patients gain...10 to 15 pounds in one day after...large Ceasar's salad

This is what I saw...stay away from salad.

Signed Brandon Brooks

Texans_Chick
06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Here's my summary of all the days of the offseason so far:

My summary of Texans OTAs, Minicamp (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2012/06/my-summary-of-texans-otas-minicamp/)

Long.

But the off-season is long.

eriadoc
06-15-2012, 01:43 PM

You're kidding, right? You couldn't script it so perfectly.

GP
06-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Kubiak negotiated his own contract. Could have had a longer term but suggested he'd earn more money this way.

That's interesting.

Now I have to invent reasons why he did this. Dammit....

drs23
06-15-2012, 05:25 PM
That's interesting.

Well then, it's in good hands! :D

IDEXAN
06-15-2012, 06:49 PM

My summary of Texans OTAs, Minicamp (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2012/06/my-summary-of-texans-otas-minicamp/)

Long.

So anyway TC, tell us what your thoughts of our jumbo 3rd round rookie Olineman are ? Oh I know he's real big, what I want to know is how does he move ? Does he appear to be athletic, move with a decent amount of foot speed instead of being slow and clumsy ?

Brisco_County
06-15-2012, 08:18 PM

Long.

Thanks for your coverage. The longer the report, the better. I'm jonesing so bad for Texans news that it makes me wish for healthier addictions, like alcoholism.

Corrosion
06-15-2012, 11:11 PM
That's interesting.

Your tinfoil hat is ..... broken. :corrosion:

TejasTom
06-16-2012, 09:24 AM
My summary of Texans OTA (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2012/06/my-summary-of-texans-otas-minicamp/).

Re: Norris pic caption.

Moran Norris at Minicamp Tryout: I wonder if his wallet has any nickname on it. /Pulp Fiction reference

Think I can get a #40 jersey with his wallet name on it?

ObsiWan
06-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Re: Norris pic caption.

Think I can get a #40 jersey with his wallet name on it?

Okay, y'all lost me. And I thought I knew all the good Pulp Fiction quotes...
:cool:

The Pencil Neck
06-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Okay, y'all lost me. And I thought I knew all the good Pulp Fiction quotes...
:cool:

You've got to be joking.

"I want you to go into that bag and find my wallet."

"Which one is it?"

"It's the one that says Bad ..."

CloakNNNdagger
06-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Did some digging that makes me concerned that the weight issue may be something that simply being severely chided by Kubiak may not be effective.......maybe not now or ever. Brooks as a freshman at Miami weighed 290 pounds. At the end of his senior year, he actually topped out at 353 pounds. He report to OTAs at 346. He has been told to get down to 330 pounds. He may or may not have a chance of getting there. But he may have closer to a chance in Hell of staying there, especially if, as Kubiak stated, "He's not taking it seriously."

Texans Rookie Brandon Brooks Cuts Some Weight, But Issue Could Remain
By TERRANCE HARRIS, SportsRadio 610

HOUSTON (CBS Houston) – Everyone inside of the Texans brain trust seemed on board that rookie offensive guard Brandon Brooks’ weight wouldn’t be in issue when they drafted him in the third round of April’s NFL Draft.

But just a couple months into his career with the Texans, it appears Brooks’ weight may be an issue after all. It could be issue that may not ever go away.

Texans coach Gary Kubiak ripped into Brooks on Tuesday for reporting to minicamp on Tuesday overweight. Brooks reported a little lighter Wednesday, but clearly he was not happy to have to address the issue. He explained to reporters that his reporting 11 pounds heavier than expected was due to a weekend of overindulgence.

Brooks apparently got the message loud and clear from Kubiak how unacceptable that was.

“Well he weighed in lighter so I don’t know what he did last night,” Kubiak said. “He can’t play at the weight he was at yesterday, he can’t help the team. I’m trying to teach him a lesson now before we get started.”

Brooks, who was drafted at 350-plus pounds and reported for OTAs around 346, was an odd fit for the Texans zone blocking scheme from the outset. The scheme is better suited for smaller, quicker offensive linemen.

But the Texans believe he is quick enough with the weight that he can handle the athletic duties required of the offensive guards. And that was apparent during the 10 OTA practices when Brooks seemed to hold his own and make a favorable impression on his new coaches.

He got a glimpse of how quickly the view of him can change if he doesn’t keep his weight under control.

“He’s got a lot of ability. He just has to learn how important it is to be prepared every day, not just three days out of the week. You are accountable every day. Obviously he had a heck of a weekend.”

Playoffs
06-16-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm guessing he's not married? Girlfriend?

I'd be hiring custom cooked/delivered meals and give him a looooooong time with a nutritionist -- who's pretty -- to learn about food. Sounding like he may have a "relationship" with food?

badboy
06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
I think he is like a lot of young guys in more respect than just eating. He has not had to have discipline about much. If you are good enough, coaches and others will make allowances for you. Boom, you wake up in the NFL and discover the coach who gets on your butt about (the issue) is deadly serious. If he cannot lose 15 pounds byTC, he does not deserve a roster spot. I think he can get it under control but what do I know? I thought Dwight Jones would get his act together.

GP
06-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I react to stress by over-eating.

If I weigh 235, you know I'm having a tough go at it over the past month. If I weigh 215 or 220, life's being fairly pleasant during that time.

Brooks might be gorging when away from the facility, finding comfort in foods that pack on the pounds. BBQ, seafood, Asian, etc. Lots of choices in Houston.

He needs to hire a nutritionist who is like a Meals On Wheels, bringing him stuff and weighing him three times a day. Buying his groceries for him. Raiding his mattress and searching the couch cushions for evidence of candy wrappers. LOL.

Blake
06-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Outside linebacker/defensive end Keith Browner was also signed today.

Sorry, this was already reported above.

Who is this kid? I see that he is the son of Keith Browner, and played LB/DE at Cal, but is he simply an UDFA? Did he even get any draft buzz?

CloakNNNdagger
06-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Who is this kid? I see that he is the son of Keith Browner, and played LB/DE at Cal, but is he simply an UDFA? Did he even get any draft buzz?

There isn't much out there about Browner Jr. But here is an August 2010 San Franscisco Chronicle article about him and his well known football family. He is not only an UDFA, but he is LAST year's UDFA. He had a rather lackluster USC career. He has always been a tweener DE/OLB. Pretty tall and lanky at 6' 6" and 250 pounds. I noted that he listed on the Texans roster on all the regular websites EXCEPT HT.COM.

Football is Keith Browner Jr.'s family business (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/08/16/SP171EUP1R.DTL)

Wolf6151
06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Fangupo-NT since he came back from his minor injury at the beginning of OTA's? Just wondering how he looks on the field and if he has real possibility of making the roster.

CloakNNNdagger
06-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Fangupo-NT since he came back from his minor injury at the beginning of OTA's? Just wondering how he looks on the field and if he has real possibility of making the roster.

Fangupo never returned to action before OTAs finished up.

NCTexan
06-21-2012, 07:56 AM

That does not sound good. Weren't they original saying he'd only be out for a few days? I guess we kind of knew this coming in though with his history.

The Medic01
06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
I hate this time of offseason. After the Super Bowl it is talking about free agency the cap and then it is on to actual free agency (the most stressful time of year for a fan). Then you have all the draft talk. Then the draft. Then you have some time to talk about the draft and get to know some of your players. Then you start with OTA's and minicamps and get too see some football. And finally you have now. No draft free agency TC battles Preseason battles nothing. No news is good news for your team but you want news because it is so boring. I hate this time of year.
/rant over.

Rey
06-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Haven't seen this posted:

Coming off a season in which he showed the Texans flashes of superstar ability, Watt shouldn't have much to regret. Watt had a pick six of Andy Dalton in the wild-card playoffs to help lead Houston to its first-ever postseason victory. The following week, he finished with 2.5 sacks and nine tackles in a divisional-round loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

With the offseason departures of Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans, Watt will be asked to become a consistent force on Wade Phillips' defense. The unit finished second in the league last season, and Watt knows the expectations are far higher heading into 2012.

"We're definitely aware of expectations, and I think they're even higher in our room than they are on the outside world," he said. "Last year, I believed we finished No. 2 in overall defense, this year we want to be No. 1. It takes a lot of hard work and it's not going to be easy, but it's our goal and we expect nothing less."

The Texans raised eyebrows by trading linebacker DeMeco Ryans to the Philadelphia Eagles, but Watt believes the defense won't skip a beat.

"I think initially there was a little bit of a shock factor, but now that we've been through the OTAs and Bradie James has come in and really filled that role as well as he possibly could," he said. "We're going to be just fine. We're going to have no issues from that.

"DeMeco's a great guy and he's going to have a heck of a career in Philly, but we're going to be just fine."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829ee894/article/jj-watt-expects-texans-defense-to-top-nfl?module=HP11_headline_stack

KMG 365
06-21-2012, 02:15 PM

He practiced with the team during minicamp. Here's a quote from Kubiak on the first day of minicamp:

(on the health of the team) “No, we’re good. Loni (Hebron Fangupo) is back on the field today, that’s important. He’s way behind. Other than that, we’re fine.

CloakNNNdagger
06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
He practiced with the team during minicamp. Here's a quote from Kubiak on the first day of minicamp:

Thanks. From what I heard he did not actually "practice" with the team on Wednesday and Thursday.

Texans_Chick
06-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Nah, he was out there during minicamps practicing. Kubiak says he's behind, which is understandable given he missed time with his knee.

I'm not sure if he is going to be fit enough to survive the Texans camp.

Texans_Chick
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
So anyway TC, tell us what your thoughts of our jumbo 3rd round rookie Olineman are ? Oh I know he's real big, what I want to know is how does he move ? Does he appear to be athletic, move with a decent amount of foot speed instead of being slow and clumsy ?

Hard to tell in shorts. No real pass rush.

Always been sort of a wonder whether a large sized guy could survive the heat of the Texans training camp. Not a ton of them have come through the organization.

IIRC, final day of minicamp, Brooks had to leave practice near the end because he puked while lined up in his stance. Left to be treated for heat issues, and Kubiak said he was fine.

It is not unusual for the rookies in particular to be shocked by the pace of Texans practice in that sort of heat.

He looks like he holds weight well. Calling him out during minicamp was the best thing. He's trying to scare the rookies into not doing nonsense in this vacation gap of time before training camp.

drs23
06-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Hard to tell in shorts. No real pass rush.

Always been sort of a wonder whether a large sized guy could survive the heat of the Texans training camp. Not a ton of them have come through the organization.

IIRC, final day of minicamp, Brooks had to leave practice near the end because he puked while lined up in his stance. Left to be treated for heat issues, and Kubiak said he was fine.

It is not unusual for the rookies in particular to be shocked by the pace of Texans practice in that sort of heat.

He looks like he holds weight well. Calling him out during minicamp was the best thing. He's trying to scare the rookies into not doing nonsense in this vacation gap of time before training camp.

I sure hope it takes. As a third rounder he needs to do whatever he needs to do to earn a spot. I'm sure Kubes will keep riding him like a two bit fair pony if he needs to to get his point across. It's been proven that spending some time in the HC's 'doghouse' has straightened up at least one rookie. :)

steelbtexan
06-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Nah, he was out there during minicamps practicing. Kubiak says he's behind, which is understandable given he missed time with his knee.

I'm not sure if he is going to be fit enough to survive the Texans camp.

Sounds like a candidate for the IR if he cant get healthy in time.

badboy
06-22-2012, 12:01 AM
This is what you said:

What the hell does fan confidence have to do with anything? NFL teams rarely rotate OLmen. They certainly aren't going to change their standard practices for fan confidence.What the hell (see I can say that also) does me saying fans have confidence in only two Olinemen and me hoping our Oline will be deep enough to allow a rotation? Just because most NFL teams don't use a rotation doesn't mean Texans have to follow that. It is possible teams don't use a rotation because their depth is not strong enough to allow that. I think it is possible if Butler had been healthy last season we could have seen him used in a rotation at RT. Some have posted that Winston had an off year so it is very plausible that Butler could have gotten a good look there especially knowing now he replaced Winston.

HOU-TEX
06-22-2012, 10:04 AM
What the hell (see I can say that also) does me saying fans have confidence in only two Olinemen and me hoping our Oline will be deep enough to allow a rotation? Just because most NFL teams don't use a rotation doesn't mean Texans have to follow that. It is possible teams don't use a rotation because their depth is not strong enough to allow that. I think it is possible if Butler had been healthy last season we could have seen him used in a rotation at RT. Some have posted that Winston had an off year so it is very plausible that Butler could have gotten a good look there especially knowing now he replaced Winston.

IMO, there should never be a rotation along the Oline. Especially with a team that runs the ZBS where continuity and synchronization play a huge part in their success. The only reason why a team would have any type of rotation along the oline would be due to injury or because a sure fire starter has yet to step up and take the spot (Brisiel and Caldwell).

infantrycak
06-22-2012, 10:49 AM
What Hou Tex said.

What the hell (see I can say that also) does me saying fans have confidence in only two Olinemen and me hoping our Oline will be deep enough to allow a rotation?

Hard to respond to an incomplete question.

Wanting better depth and wanting to rotate are two different issues.

Just because most NFL teams don't use a rotation doesn't mean Texans have to follow that. It is possible teams don't use a rotation because their depth is not strong enough to allow that.

Yeah I am sure with 32 teams and all the decades of football, rotation is not common on OL because none have had sufficient depth

pirbroke
06-22-2012, 11:34 AM
I think the way defense is rotating more and more through the last few years it's only a matter of time before o-line starts doing the same thing, more so for zone blocking with the constant sprints to the 2nd level.

pirbroke
06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Let me add except for center position, the timing between QB is just to important for rotation

HOU-TEX
06-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Let me add except for center position, the timing between QB is just to important for rotation

And the timing among the oline doesn't matter? The entire ZBS relies on timing and sychronicity along the oline. Come on peeps

Cjeremy635
06-22-2012, 11:54 AM
I think the way defense is rotating more and more through the last few years it's only a matter of time before o-line starts doing the same thing, more so for zone blocking with the constant sprints to the 2nd level.

I think that they are two different animals.

Apples to oranges....

While continuity is key to both sides of the ball, it's much more key on the O-line. Those guys block in tandem and you all know the ZBS scheme is like a dance.

Rey
06-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Generally you want 5 guys that are good enough to not rotate, but teams have rotated o linemen. We've rotated o linemen before. It's much more common in lower levels of football, but it does happen occasionally in the pro's.

Rey
06-22-2012, 12:05 PM
I think that they are two different animals.

Apples to oranges....

While continuity is key to both sides of the ball, it's much more key on the O-line. Those guys block in tandem and you all know the ZBS scheme is like a dance.

Guys can adjust pretty fast. It's not as detrimental as you might think. These guys play next to different guys all through camp and you kind of understand what the guy next to you is about.

Guys get injured, guys have to step in.

We pretty much let our RT and RG go this off-season and could have lost the center. We are going to be building chemistry regardless of who is out there.

I don't expect any regular season rotation, but I would not be surprised at all if there was some kind of rotation at one of the guard positions.

CloakNNNdagger
06-22-2012, 12:30 PM
If you watch enough games, you can see that by the 4th quarter, just like the DL, some teams' OL will start wearing down/slowing down. This is why Kubiak puts such a premium on conditioning under adverse Houston heat and humidity conditions. As per a private discussion I had with Texans Chick, she pointed out that after practices, she would see Brandon Brooks huffing and puffing going off the field. Kubiak apparently, and maybe rightfully so, focused on Brooks' weight as the culprit for the exhibition of such poor conditioning. It is very possible that if Brooks would be sustaining a high level of conditioning during OTAs, the emphasis would probably be mostly focused on maintaining his weight rather than losing weight.

As has been pointed out, continuity of choreography is of major importance in our ZBS, and rotation of an O lineman would only be an option if the lineman would become injured, or would show deterioration of his performance at the end of a game...............a latter scenario that Kubiak has commendably made monumental efforts to prevent.

badboy
06-22-2012, 01:19 PM
And the timing among the oline doesn't matter? The entire ZBS relies on timing and sychronicity along the oline. Come on peepsBut if you have smooth rotation of depth with backup guys getting reps you would not lose continuity or timing. I think the ZBS would be a candidate for rotation due to the wear and tear on the Oline's legs. Look folks, I am not demanding or saying I know more than pros; just discussing a topic. "Just because others don't do it" has never ruled out something for me.

Rey
06-22-2012, 01:29 PM
But if you have smooth rotation of depth with backup guys getting reps you would not lose continuity or timing. I think the ZBS would be a candidate for rotation due to the wear and tear on the Oline's legs. Look folks, I am not demanding or saying I know more than pros; just discussing a topic. "Just because others don't do it" has never ruled out something for me.

I don't know if I'm understanding you right, but what kind of rotation are you talking about?

I can see maybe a two man rotation at a certain position, but if you're talking about much more than that I don't see that happening.

badboy
06-22-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't know if I'm understanding you right, but what kind of rotation are you talking about?

I can see maybe a two man rotation at a certain position, but if you're talking about much more than that I don't see that happening.Brown comes out maybe 5-6 plays in a games (not same series), same for W Smith. Butler maybe a few more and RG maybe 60-40? Nothing deeper unlees it is a blow out and you want lower end of bench like the OT we just drafted to get some reps. I think last season would have been good example if Brown, Winston and Butler all heathy, I think Butler could get about 10-12 downs total for both LT &RT and maybe not every game.

HOU-TEX
06-22-2012, 02:33 PM
But if you have smooth rotation of depth with backup guys getting reps you would not lose continuity or timing. I think the ZBS would be a candidate for rotation due to the wear and tear on the Oline's legs. Look folks, I am not demanding or saying I know more than pros; just discussing a topic. "Just because others don't do it" has never ruled out something for me.

I never said anything about others not doing it, nor do I care. I'm talking the importance of online working as 1, especially in the ZBS. I don't think anyone would realistically think an online could continue performing at it's highest level as 1 unit while rotating linemen in and out. Not only would it disrupt the continuity of the oline, it would decrease the effectiveness of the players that would be rotating. You can't just flip the adrenaline switch on and off when you want.

badboy
06-22-2012, 03:19 PM
I never said anything about others not doing it, nor do I care. I'm talking the importance of online working as 1, especially in the ZBS. I don't think anyone would realistically think an online could continue performing at it's highest level as 1 unit while rotating linemen in and out. Not only would it disrupt the continuity of the oline, it would decrease the effectiveness of the players that would be rotating. You can't just flip the adrenaline switch on and off when you want.You did not say others were not rotating but other posters have said that so I addressed it in my post rather than 2-3 others.You have your opinion on "working as 1" and I have mine. At some point during a game, fatigue (regardless of conditioning) & prior as well as new nagging injuries or getting the breath knock out of you can impact a starter greatly. Getting a play or two off would counter any "loss" of continuity.

A player like AJ or Duane Brown would do better to remain in all game if possible compared to a JJ or Butler. No player wants to come out but that is a coaching decision.

Texans_Chick
06-24-2012, 03:33 PM
If you watch enough games, you can see that by the 4th quarter, just like the DL, some teams' OL will start wearing down/slowing down. This is why Kubiak puts such a premium on conditioning under adverse Houston heat and humidity conditions. As per a private discussion I had with Texans Chick, she pointed out that after practices, she would see Brandon Brooks huffing and puffing going off the field. Kubiak apparently, and maybe rightfully so, focused on Brooks' weight as the culprit for the exhibition of such poor conditioning. It is very possible that if Brooks would be sustaining a high level of conditioning during OTAs, the emphasis would probably be mostly focused on maintaining his weight rather than losing weight.

As has been pointed out, continuity of choreography is of major importance in our ZBS, and rotation of an O lineman would only be an option if the lineman would become injured, or would show deterioration of his performance at the end of a game...............a latter scenario that Kubiak has commendably made monumental efforts to prevent.

Just to clarify. Think there was a misunderstanding in our conversation.

I have never seen Brandon Brooks huffing and puffing to get off the field. Did see him throw up, have to leave the field and be attended to. Players leaving field for heat issues happens, not just to Brooks. The NFL takes heat issues seriously given heat can kill you.

Mentioned that I heard Fangupo huffing and puffing, sounding labored going from one field to the next one time. I am hoping that was just a conditioning issue post knee thing, and not a general problem with him.

Just don't want to leave the wrong impression.

CloakNNNdagger
06-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Just to clarify. Think there was a misunderstanding in our conversation.

I have never seen Brandon Brooks huffing and puffing to get off the field. Did see him throw up, have to leave the field and be attended to. Players leaving field for heat issues happens, not just to Brooks. The NFL takes heat issues seriously given heat can kill you.

Mentioned that I heard Fangupo huffing and puffing, sounding labored going from one field to the next one time. I am hoping that was just a conditioning issue post knee thing, and not a general problem with him.

Just don't want to leave the wrong impression.

I must have misunderstood our little discussion. Glad you corrected me.:tiphat:

Texans_Chick
06-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I must have misunderstood our little discussion. Glad you corrected me.:tiphat:

No problem. Sometimes off-season can be a little bit like playing telephone with some people seeing things, trying to convey what they see in an accurate way to other people who want information. Can be hard to be precise, correct, without leaving wrong impression. :kitten:

CretorFrigg
06-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Still, at almost 350 lbs, wouldn't Brooks be a little too big for the scheme the Texans run? Does he appear slower than the rest of our OL?

The Pencil Neck
06-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Still, at almost 350 lbs, wouldn't Brooks be a little too big for the scheme the Texans run? Does he appear slower than the rest of our OL?

That's kinda supposed to be the point Kubiak keeps making. This kid is that big and can still move as fast and as nimble as the rest of our line... if not more so.

Texan_Bill
06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
I know they're are "certain body types" that meet a certain scheme but what if a big 325lb+ guy is athletic enough to handle this offense??? DO IT!!!! wHY NOT??

badboy
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
That's kinda supposed to be the point Kubiak keeps making. This kid is that big and can still move as fast and as nimble as the rest of our line... if not more so.IIRC, Chester Pitts was drafted at around 335 which is about where they want Brooks.