PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson has knee scoped 5/2012

redwhiteANDblue
05-21-2012, 12:55 PM
SR610: Andre Johnson will miss Texans OTA's after having arthroscropic surgery on his left knee two weeks ago. He expects to be back in time for training camp.

I don't know about y'all but this kind of scares me. No Schaub or AJ for OTAs. He would've been a key piece in the growth of all the rookie WRs.

Playoffs
05-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Texans Andre Johnson: "Had left knee scope" Had no pain before scope, no pain now. No need to panic.

Andre Johnson revealed Tuesday that he underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in early May.

Johnson insists he experienced no pain before the surgery, and is in no pain now. He's sitting out OTAs, but fully expects to be ready for training camp. While this doesn't sound like a major concern, surgeries are beginning to pile up for Johnson entering his age-31 campaign. He had ankle surgery last offseason, and hamstring surgery during the year. Johnson remains locked in as a top-five fantasy receiver for 2012, but his recovery is worth tracking.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1575/andre-johnson

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Andre Johnson said he hyperextended his knee last season at Jacksonville. Called it "nothing to panic about." #Texans

Wolf6151
05-21-2012, 12:58 PM
That sucks, I'm wondering why he couldn't have had this surgery several months ago. This will mean more reps. for our young WR's who need them badly and it's not like AJ doesn't know what he needs to do to be ready for the season. He'll be ready on opening day.

Ryan
05-21-2012, 01:03 PM
He can still mentor the young WRs from the sidelines. I don't see this as a big deal.

ObsiWan
05-21-2012, 01:06 PM
While I'm not a big fan of these developments, they don't scare me. OTAs are where the rookies and the newbies learn their places in our systems. Old hands like Schaub (I didn't see where he was missing OTAs but it wouldn't surprise me) and AJ only need to knock the off-season rust off, not learn the system.

As Wolf6151 said, this gives the younguns (Yates and our baby WRing corps) more reps to become acclimated so, hopefully, they'll be sharper during training camp and preseason when new wrinkles are added to the basics

ObsiWan
05-21-2012, 01:08 PM
You and RedWhiteand Blue must have been composing your threads at the same time. Same info, seconds apart.
:)

redwhiteANDblue
05-21-2012, 01:11 PM
You and RedWhiteand Blue must have been composing your threads at the same time. Same info, seconds apart.
:)

Haha well playoffs post is better! Mods delete mine!

ThaShark316
05-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Last year, Dre said he felt "something" in pre-season but it didn't bug him for too long. Then the PIT game happened.

Much rather he get checked out in May. I ain't worried regardless. See y'all in New Orleans in Feb. 2013 though.

Thorn
05-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Well, there goes the season. We'll be lucky to go 2-14. Sometimes the breaks ain't with us boys. Might as well update the HD home theater and prepare to rent a lot of movies. Maybe the alien spaceships will land and entertain us by blowing up buildings and stuff during the football season. That would be cool. :)

Playoffs
05-21-2012, 01:45 PM
#Texans @johnson80: "The past 2 seasons have been pretty rough for me... I want to get back to that 1,500-yard Andre." :doot:

ObsiWan
05-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Well, there goes the season. We'll be lucky to go 2-14. Sometimes the breaks ain't with us boys. Might as well update the HD home theater and prepare to rent a lot of movies. Maybe the alien spaceships will land and entertain us by blowing up buildings and stuff during the football season. That would be cool. :)

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/128892948156869621.jpg

ChampionTexan
05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Missing OTA's because of this means less than zero - to Andre, the rookies, and the Texans as a whole.

Missing more than OTA's because of this would be a completely different story.

DX-TEX
05-21-2012, 02:46 PM
#Texans @johnson80: "The past 2 seasons have been pretty rough for me... I want to get back to that 1,500-yard Andre." :doot:

If I believed any one player in the NFL when they say things like this it would be Andre. Guy is all class and a monster of a competitor.

steelbtexan
05-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, people have knee surgery all of the time when their knee isn't hurting them?

DX-TEX
05-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah, people have knee surgery all of the time when their knee isn't hurting them?

I would guess it was more to clean up the injury from last year.

Need Cloak in here.

05-21-2012, 03:14 PM

there was probably some excess scar tissue... doesn't necessarily have to hurt.

The Pencil Neck
05-21-2012, 03:15 PM

It's a possibility. It's just a scope.

Andre might have gone to the doctor to get his knee checked prior to OTAs. The doctor might have seen something he didn't like and ordered the scope to prevent further damage.

Mike77015
05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
there was probably some excess scar tissue... doesn't necessarily have to hurt.

I agree the timing indicates scar tissue. There has been enough time passed to have a significant amount of it, and we are far enough from TC for him to fully recover.

rush2112mn
05-21-2012, 03:56 PM
OTA's are for rookies and free agents.......I would rather he did it now than at the start of training camp.......

ObsiWan
05-21-2012, 04:00 PM
From PK's AFC South blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth)...

Andre Johnson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4461/andre-johnson)'s bad 2011 was even worse than we thought.

Johnson missed nine games because of two different hamstring injuries.

He told Houston media today he also hurt his left knee Nov. 27 in a win at Jacksonville. That injury required a recent scope that he pledged was not a big deal.

"Nothing to panic about," Johnson said per Mark Berman of Fox in Houston (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/18574227/andre-johnson-nothing-to-panic-about). "I had it two weeks ago…

"I hyperextended my (left) knee. It swoll up. Got the swelling to calm down. I came back during offseason workouts, it swoll up again. We felt like the best thing to do was get it scoped, get it fixed…"

"I'm two weeks out from having a knee scope. I wasn't in any pain before I had it. It just kept holding fluid on it. I'm not in any pain now. My knee feels better, the swelling has pretty much gone down. Just keep doing rehab and (I'll) be ready for training camp.

"This is my tenth season. I've been through OTAs several times. I don't really feel like I'm missing anything right now."

He’s not missing anything right now. And quarterback Matt Schaub (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5615/matt-schaub), recovering from a serious foot injury, isn’t on the field either.

In a broader sense, though, I think it’s fair to wonder if 2011 served as some sort of harbinger for Johnson.

He still ranks as one of the very best receivers in the league. But he’ll be 31 in July and going into his 10th season.

Will he face other situations this fall that make us consider if he’s starting to break down?

Or will he rebound to show three different injuries in his ninth season amounted to a blip?

A lot of elite receivers play very effectively well into their 30s. I’m expecting the rebound. But there is simply no predicting health or the timetable for when a guy reliant on his legs begins to slow.

Leaving out other guys who are still active, Pro-Football-Rreference.com says Johnson’s résumé so far is similar to receivers (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnAn02.htm) who averaged careers of just under eight years.

A modern player with access to better training and medicine should certainly last longer.

CloakNNNdagger
05-21-2012, 04:37 PM
In 2007, you may remember, AJ missed seven games because of sprains to the posterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in his left knee. These are common types of damage associated with significant hyperextension injuries. On November 27th of last year, he sustained another left knee hyperextension injury. Hyperextension injuries not uncommonly create meniscus cartilage trauma/damage. This injury is almost universally accompanied by swelling. Although pain is common with meniscus tears, you can have a meniscus tear without experiencing pain. But chances are if you don't have pain you probably won't notice your tear very quickly. These type of tears are usually diagnosed with swelling upon stressing/torquing the knee, which in turn may be the only time that pain may raise its head at all. A meniscus tear, especially if fairly minor is not a very big thing other than maybe later development of arthritis. I guess what bothers me the most is the recurrence of hyperextension in the same knee. Each time this happens, it can weaken/stretch stabilizing ligaments, something that can certainly enhance the possibility of future knee injury.

DX-TEX
05-21-2012, 04:50 PM
In 2007, you may remember, AJ missed seven games because of sprains to the posterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in his left knee. These are common types of damage associated with significant hyperextension injuries. On November 27th of last year, he sustained another left knee hyperextension injury. Hyperextension injuries not uncommonly create meniscus cartilage trauma/damage. This injury is almost universally accompanied by swelling. Although pain is common with meniscus tears, you can have a meniscus tear without experiencing pain. But chances are if you don't have pain you probably won't notice your tear very quickly. These type of tears are usually diagnosed with swelling upon stressing/torquing the knee, which in turn may be the only time that pain may raise its head at all. A meniscus tear, especially if fairly minor is not a very big thing other than maybe later development of arthritis. I guess what bothers me the most is the recurrence of hyperextension in the same knee. Each time this happens, it can weaken/stretch stabilizing ligaments, something that can certainly enhance the possibility of future knee injury.

I appreciate your inside knowledge cloak but I always fell dumber after reading your posts.

ObsiWan
05-21-2012, 04:59 PM

I appreciate your inside knowledge cloak but I always fell dumber after reading your posts.

I know what you mean. From his post, I can't tell if Doc is giving us good news or bad. :D

I do understand - from experience - that every time one hyper-extends a joint, that makes recurrence more likely.

NCTexan
05-21-2012, 05:20 PM
I know what you mean. From his post, I can't tell if Doc is giving us good news or bad. :D

I do understand - from experience - that every time one hyper-extends a joint, that makes recurrence more likely.

I agree with the feeling dumber haha.

I think the news is good and bad? I think he's saying that the injury alone isn't anything to worry about, but the fact that he seems to have a lot up with that knee may be something to worry about.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2012, 05:40 PM
That sucks, I'm wondering why he couldn't have had this surgery several months ago. This will mean more reps. for our young WR's who need them badly and it's not like AJ doesn't know what he needs to do to be ready for the season. He'll be ready on opening day.

I'll tell you why, this is a veteran move to get out of OTAs. You are right, OTAs should be for backups and rookies needing to learn the system.

aussie_texan
05-21-2012, 08:44 PM

i have done the meniscus and MCL twice now, sprained my acl twice as well.
my doctors say that ill have recurring problems, due to the ligaments not being as tight as before and allowing for the knee to loosen and be unstable.
They said i should wear a knee brace.

I know a lot of players in the AFL (aussie rules footy) play with knee braces can't say i have seen them in the NFL.
Could it be a good idea for him to wear a brace to make his knee more stable??

CloakNNNdagger
05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
i have done the meniscus and MCL twice now, sprained my acl twice as well.
my doctors say that ill have recurring problems, due to the ligaments not being as tight as before and allowing for the knee to loosen and be unstable.
They said i should wear a knee brace.

I know a lot of players in the AFL (aussie rules footy) play with knee braces can't say i have seen them in the NFL.
Could it be a good idea for him to wear a brace to make his knee more stable??

At first thought, it might seem like a good idea. And it is.........for a lineman or a QB. You can't get many WR's to even wear knee pads or thigh pads because they say it restricts their performance. Have you seen anyone try to run and cut with a knee brace? Doesn't usually work out too well.

Texn4life
05-21-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm no I'm in the minority, but I think Andre does need to be on the field to practice and needs to stay healthy to do so. He's missed a lot of time over the last couple of years. I doubt you would have ever heard great receivers like Rice, Tim Brown, Cris Carter say they didn't need to be out there to practice. Those guys were legendary for the type of practice players they were.

aussie_texan
05-21-2012, 09:17 PM
At first thought, it might seem like a good idea. And it is.........for a lineman or a QB. You can't get many WR's to even wear knee pads or thigh pads because they say it restricts their performance. Have you seen anyone try to run and cut with a knee brace? Doesn't usually work out too well.

maybe its a cultural thing.
Midfielders in the AFL run up to 17Km (10.5miles) and its a lot of sprinting and change of direction and i have seen them play with braces.

Maybe players in the NFL just need to get used to them.
By knee brace I'm not talking those real big ones like this:
http://www.kneebracesandsupports.com/photo/pd88715-kn306_wrap_around_hinged_knee_brace.jpg

but more similar to these ones:
http://orthotape.com/images/products/Default/knee/Ossur_premium_elastic_knee_support_1.JPG

aussie_texan
05-21-2012, 09:20 PM
also with all the damage that he has had with his knees his probably more vulnerable to patella dislocation.
is this true??

CloakNNNdagger
05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
also with all the damage that he has had with his knees his probably more vulnerable to patella dislocation.
is this true??

I don't believe that there is a significant association.

CloakNNNdagger
05-21-2012, 10:10 PM
maybe its a cultural thing.
Midfielders in the AFL run up to 17Km (10.5miles) and its a lot of sprinting and change of direction and i have seen them play with braces.

Maybe players in the NFL just need to get used to them.
By knee brace I'm not talking those real big ones like this:
http://www.kneebracesandsupports.com/photo/pd88715-kn306_wrap_around_hinged_knee_brace.jpg

but more similar to these ones:
http://orthotape.com/images/products/Default/knee/Ossur_premium_elastic_knee_support_1.JPG

Knee braces of any kind have been very controversial in sports, especially the more minimalistic one as shown in your second example. Studies have not shown distinct protection against re-injury. Therapy and rehabilitation are by far more important than a knee brace. Knee braces may help prevent re-injury to the knee, but it is likely a small factor, if any at all. All the studies that I'm aware of over the years have involved low stress loads, as it would be virtually impossible to create a study using the high loads placed on the knee "in vivo."

In the September–October 2010 issue of the journal Sports Health, Michael Salata et al. performed a systematic review of previously published articles that looked at the effectiveness of prophylactic knee bracing in football. The authors note that there has always been controversy regarding the effectiveness of these braces. They point to the position statement of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons regarding prophylactic bracing. “Prophylactic knee braces may provide limited protection against injuries to the MCL in football players. Scientific studies have not demonstrated similar protection to other knee ligaments, menisci, or articular cartilage.”

This article, from which the above was taken, can give you a decent review of the question of knee braces:
Do knee braces prevent injuries in football? (http://www.drdavidgeier.com/knee-braces-prevent-injuries-football/)

ThaJokaa
05-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Snapshot a friend took of Channel 2 news SMH

http://i.imgur.com/bUz0X.jpg

Section516
05-22-2012, 11:33 AM

:headhurts:

ThaJokaa
05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
About the hole knee brace thing...

Those things work, and I'm talking about just sleeves w/o all that hardware. They Might not prevent serious injury, but they help against minor ones. I injured a muscle/tendon/ligament w/e at the gym one day while I was doing my cardio workouts and it felt like it just wanted to give out me and my knee did later on that day at wal-mart, I almost collapsed to the floor while shopping. Anyways, I ended up buying some sleeves/braces for my knee as I was rehabing to get em back to strength since I couldnt lift heavy anymore or run like I used to, but when I put em on it felt like I hadnt been injured at all! I was running at full speed and didnt get re-injured. Those things WORK!!

Cliffs
Injured knee at gym
Wore knee sleeve/brace at gym
felt great
no re-injury

Why not have AJ wear one or two to help him out a bit?

Brisco_County
05-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Last week I had to try a knee brace for softball. It definitely restricts your speed.

disaacks3
05-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Last week I had to try a knee brace for softball. It definitely restricts your speed. And that's why at NFL "speeds" it's virtually useless to a WR.

HOU-TEX
05-22-2012, 01:32 PM

Ha, good grief. If that ain't an unintentional insult, I don't know what is

TexansFanatic
05-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Good grief. How does crap like that happen? It's almost like you've got to try to do it. That's more than just a lack of attention to detail.

steelbtexan
05-22-2012, 05:10 PM
About the hole knee brace thing...

Those things work, and I'm talking about just sleeves w/o all that hardware. They Might not prevent serious injury, but they help against minor ones. I injured a muscle/tendon/ligament w/e at the gym one day while I was doing my cardio workouts and it felt like it just wanted to give out me and my knee did later on that day at wal-mart, I almost collapsed to the floor while shopping. Anyways, I ended up buying some sleeves/braces for my knee as I was rehabing to get em back to strength since I couldnt lift heavy anymore or run like I used to, but when I put em on it felt like I hadnt been injured at all! I was running at full speed and didnt get re-injured. Those things WORK!!

Cliffs
Injured knee at gym
Wore knee sleeve/brace at gym
felt great
no re-injury

Why not have AJ wear one or two to help him out a bit?

No offense, but I'm going to trust Doc on this one.

Glad that it worked for you though.

EllisUnit
05-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Ha, good grief. If that ain't an unintentional insult, I don't know what is

he's asian guys give him a break...andre means dumb ass in chinese :chef:

The Pencil Neck
05-22-2012, 10:49 PM
he's asian guys give him a break...andre means dumb ass in chinese :chef:

The newscaster isn't the guy that put the graphics together. And he's not the producer who looked at the graphics and said they were OK to show.

EllisUnit
05-22-2012, 10:53 PM
The newscaster isn't the guy that put the graphics together. And he's not the producer who looked at the graphics and said they were OK to show.

hmm i am well aware of that, it was a joke that was obviously lost in translation.

ObsiWan
05-23-2012, 12:13 PM
hmm i am well aware of that, it was a joke that was obviously lost in translation.

...perhaps that's because Bill Balleza is hispanic and you said Asian...
:thinking:

GP
05-23-2012, 12:31 PM
LOL @ the news putting up Jacoby's image in an AJ story.

Wow. I mean, WOW...