PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Texans Draft Needs?

Wolf6151
05-21-2012, 01:32 AM
I know it's a bit early but what do you think our team needs will be in the 2013 draft? Take into account players reaching FA, expensive players about to reach FA, salary cap casualties, needs not addressed in 2012 draft, under performing players, etc... I can forcast the needs being:

DE, I think Antonio Smith is a salary cap casualty and depending on value may be replaced early unless Crick just becomes a beast.
DT/NT, I think Sean Cody is a salary cap casualty and a new rotation at NT will be Mitchell and 2013 draft pick unless Fangupo becomes a beast from UDFA.
CB, you can never have to many good CB's and next season we'll see what we have in Jackson, Carmichael, and Harris. If someone lets us down this could be an early pick.
RB, Tate will be a FA after 2013 season so we may look for a replacement a year early depending on value on the board and trade Tate after next season, like the Pats do, unless he agrees to a very team friendly extension which isn't likely.
OT, Butler will be a FA after next season and thus will become quite expensive unless we're sure he's the future of the RT position and we extend him in mid season for a team friendly price.
WR, regardless of the 2012 draft we probably still have a big hole at #2 WR.
QB, we had a thread devoted to the possible trade up in 2013 draft for a future franchise QB unless we see alot of improvement in Yates next season.
TE, OD is getting more expensive and he's just not as good as he was 2-3 yrs. ago.

Opinions?

beerlover
05-21-2012, 08:24 AM
I know it's a bit early but what do you think our team needs will be in the 2013 draft? Take into account players reaching FA, expensive players about to reach FA, salary cap casualties, needs not addressed in 2012 draft, under performing players, etc... I can forcast the needs being:

DE, I think Antonio Smith is a salary cap casualty and depending on value may be replaced early unless Crick just becomes a beast.
DT/NT, I think Sean Cody is a salary cap casualty and a new rotation at NT will be Mitchell and 2013 draft pick unless Fangupo becomes a beast from UDFA.
CB, you can never have to many good CB's and next season we'll see what we have in Jackson, Carmichael, and Harris. If someone lets us down this could be an early pick.
RB, Tate will be a FA after 2013 season so we may look for a replacement a year early depending on value on the board and trade Tate after next season, like the Pats do, unless he agrees to a very team friendly extension which isn't likely.
OT, Butler will be a FA after next season and thus will become quite expensive unless we're sure he's the future of the RT position and we extend him in mid season for a team friendly price.
QB, we had a thread devoted to the possible trade up in 2013 draft for a future franchise QB unless we see alot of improvement in Yates next season.
TE, OD is getting more expensive and he's just not as good as he was 2-3 yrs. ago.

Opinions?

Kareem Jackson, CB position pays out big time. with other contracts needing addressed doubt they will extend his contract & just let it run it's course.

gary
05-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Receiver after reading about AJ.

badboy
05-21-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm working on 2013 mock now. I think QB is the primary position of concern but I also feel optimistic that Yates will prove sufficient especially if Matt can make it through this next season. Qb does not have to be stellar just accurate with decent release & able to play the pocket. Yates should be able to do that 2012 & even better '13. QB not on my board now.
Posey or not we still need another WR to eventually be WR1.

I anticipate Barwin in his last contract year in a position set to get him sacks will also make himself a tighty bit of change on his next team as a FA. Not able to play 4-3 DE like Mario he is younger and shoud be gone. OLB again will be a high pick.

A CB and RB & perhaps an ILB should give us top 5 picks. I wished I had better idea what comp picks will be. Thought I read on some thread a 2nd, 3rd & 5th. If anyone has good info please shoot me a PM. I was google searching earlier today & caught a virus on my other computer so be careful.

gary
05-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Maybe Matt will be traded and keep Barwin.

Wolf6151
05-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Maybe Matt will be traded and keep Barwin.

Matt will be a FA after this next season, he's not tradeable. Schaub is the major lynch pin here, does he stay or go? If 2012 is his last season as a Texan then I hope the Texans at least give Yates a real chance at the starting position, at least give him the 2013 season. Then if he sucks we'll probably have a high draft pick and be ripe for taking a 1st round QB in 2014.

BB, what sources are you using for a 2013 mock?

aussie_texan
05-22-2012, 03:23 AM
I'm working on 2013 mock now. I think QB is the primary position of concern but I also feel optimistic that Yates will prove sufficient especially if Matt can make it through this next season. Qb does not have to be stellar just accurate with decent release & able to play the pocket. Yates should be able to do that 2012 & even better '13. QB not on my board now.
Posey or not we still need another WR to eventually be WR1.

I anticipate Barwin in his last contract year in a position set to get him sacks will also make himself a tighty bit of change on his next team as a FA. Not able to play 4-3 DE like Mario he is younger and shoud be gone. OLB again will be a high pick.

A CB and RB & perhaps an ILB should give us top 5 picks. I wished I had better idea what comp picks will be. Thought I read on some thread a 2nd, 3rd & 5th. If anyone has good info please shoot me a PM. I was google searching earlier today & caught a virus on my other computer so be careful.

highest you can get from a comp pick is round 3

gary
05-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Matt will be a FA after this next season, he's not tradeable. Schaub is the major lynch pin here, does he stay or go? If 2012 is his last season as a Texan then I hope the Texans at least give Yates a real chance at the starting position, at least give him the 2013 season. Then if he sucks we'll probably have a high draft pick and be ripe for taking a 1st round QB in 2014.

BB, what sources are you using for a 2013 mock?A QB is the most important player on the team so unless Keenum or Yates just plays great Matt will stay.

badboy
05-22-2012, 03:52 PM

BB, what sources are you using for a 2013 mock?These are my secret links so don't share them ok?:gathering:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2012/OT

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php

I originally had thought comp picks began at end of round three but a post on another thread had indicated we will get a 2nd for Mario. RMartin65 corrected me during an exchange of PMs. For me best scenario is Schaub takes us to SB and then Yates steps in 2013 as starter.

Wolf6151
05-22-2012, 05:40 PM
These are my secret links so don't share them ok?:gathering:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2012/OT

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php

I originally had thought comp picks began at end of round three but a post on another thread had indicated we will get a 2nd for Mario. RMartin65 corrected me during an exchange of PMs. For me best scenario is Schaub takes us to SB and then Yates steps in 2013 as starter.

Shhhhhhh, those are my 2 biggest sources as well but I'll try to keep it a secret. RM65 is right comp. picks don't start until the end of the 3rd round. I'm confused about your last sentence though, if Schaub takes us to the SB next season then he would be the starter in 2013 as well. Are you saying Schaub would be too expensive for us after taking us to the SB? I don't think any team has ever lost their starting QB a year after going to the SB.

What do you see as our other team needs in the 2013 draft? When is your 2013 mock going to be posted? My interest is stirred.

steelbtexan
05-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Shhhhhhh, those are my 2 biggest sources as well but I'll try to keep it a secret. RM65 is right comp. picks don't start until the end of the 3rd round. I'm confused about your last sentence though, if Schaub takes us to the SB next season then he would be the starter in 2013 as well. Are you saying Schaub would be too expensive for us after taking us to the SB? I don't think any team has ever lost their starting QB a year after going to the SB.

What do you see as our other team needs in the 2013 draft? When is your 2013 mock going to be posted? My interest is stirred.

The Ravens let Dilfer walk and signed Grbac in FA,

badboy
05-23-2012, 11:20 AM

What do you see as our other team needs in the 2013 draft? When is your 2013 mock going to be posted? My interest is stirred.Ridiculous we can only get a 3rd for Mario. My mock is ready to post but I am adding comp picks as 3rd for Mario, 5th for Briesel and only doing thru 5th. I need to add the comp pick for Briesel and then I'll post.

Schaub is good but we all know the negatives, regardless if he does well and is healthy (as possible) SB or not he will command a huge salary. We need to re-sign Brown and that will take up all our surplus. No Barwin either. Matt will be a Mario type FA due to position.

infantrycak
05-29-2012, 07:33 AM
The Ravens let Dilfer walk and signed Grbac in FA,

Dilfer wasn't their chosen starter for the season. Tony Banks was.

I think all of this talk in this and the mock draft thread is silly. Unless Schaub gets injured again or clearly is not his old self they are going to attempt to re-sign him and Schaub has shown every bit of character like AJ that he would rather stay here than make $50 mil instead of $48.

steelbtexan
05-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Dilfer wasn't their chosen starter for the season. Tony Banks was.

I think all of this talk in this and the mock draft thread is silly. Unless Schaub gets injured again or clearly is not his old self they are going to attempt to re-sign him and Schaub has shown every bit of character like AJ that he would rather stay here than make $50 mil instead of $48.

Yeah, Banks stunk and he should've taken the beating Carr took in 2002. Dilfer did get them a SB trophy and in appreaition the Ravens cut him. They're still looking a QB that can take them to a championship. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Waiting until the end of this yr to make a decision on Schaub is the smart thing to do. I believe he's a 2nd tier (Top 15) QB. But if he cant get/stay healthy this yr then the Texans should look for his replacement. They are in a tough spot on this one, with the team being ready to win now and Schaub not being able to stay healthy. Do you trade the farm and draft one of the top college QB's? Or do you look for a Matt Flynn type vet? (Who's available)

I'm pretty sure Gary will be making that call and I've got faith in his ability to find the right QB for this team.

beerlover
05-31-2012, 01:36 AM
Schaub in this system with a healthy Andre Johnson & Arian Foster is pushing top 5. Maybe not as much individually, but in the team concept he fits almost perfectly. So they resign him to a lucrative, yet sensible extension & Texans continue to roll :ant:

Wolf6151
08-29-2012, 02:57 AM
We haven't addressed 2013 draft needs in a few months. Now that training camp is all but over and the regular season is just around the corner we should have a better assessment of 2013 draft needs. They certainly have changed from what I thought they'd be when starting this thread back in May, at least the order of need has changed. Here's how I currently see the needs, but with some players on the bubble for 2013 this list is by no means set in stone.

1. WR- I know many feel that Jean and Martin have had a great TC, and they have, I just don't see either of them as a current #2 with potential to be a #1. Also I think Kevin Walter stands a fair chance of being a salary cap casualty in 2013 so we'll need quality and depth at WR. I think WR is a 1st round need.
2. DT/NT- I think Sean Cody will be gone at the end of this season if he even plays and we'll need a new guy to work in rotation with Mitchell who hasn't looked very good in preseason so far. This is a 2nd or 3rd round need.
3. Safety- this need all depends on if we re-sign Glover Quin or not. BB thinks he could be gone in 2013 and I'm thinking he might be on the bubble. He's not a big time play maker so re-signing him shouldn't be terribly expensive but I think his future with the team might depend on how much money we need to re-sign other players. Quin could be a salary cap cut to re-sign Schaub and/or Barwin. This is 50/50 and could go either way. If Quin stays there's no need, if he goes then it's a 2nd or 3rd round need.
4. OT- Butler is gone and we'll need a new swing OT to take Newtons place. 3rd round need.
5. OG- Brooks steps up and takes someones job in 2013, probably Caldwell's due to the money still owed to W. Smith so interior O-line depth will be a need and may be addressed twice in 2013. 3rd - 5th round need.
6. CB- this need will depend on if we re-sign McCain or not. He's not great but he's not bad either and even mediocre CB's can be expensive. With JJ, KJ, and Harris probably taking the nickle spot in 2013 McCain might be gone. I can see CB maybe being a 3rd - 5th round need.
7. ILB- James is probably a one year rental but I think since this isn't a full time spot and we have depth with Dobbins, Alexander, and Louiseau the Texans probably won't address this until the later rounds unless someone great just unexpectedly falls in their lap.
8. FB- this is a 6th or 7th round priority but I sure would like to nail down this position with a real FB that's here to stay.

I once thought that DE and TE could be needs in 2013 due to Antonio Smith and OD being possible salary cap cuts but having read on another site about the money still owed them it makes them less likely to be cut. How do yall see our needs now that TC is almost over?

aussie_texan
08-29-2012, 08:02 AM
We haven't addressed 2013 draft needs in a few months. Now that training camp is all but over and the regular season is just around the corner we should have a better assessment of 2013 draft needs. They certainly have changed from what I thought they'd be when starting this thread back in May, at least the order of need has changed. Here's how I currently see the needs, but with some players on the bubble for 2013 this list is by no means set in stone.

1. WR- I know many feel that Jean and Martin have had a great TC, and they have, I just don't see either of them as a current #2 with potential to be a #1. Also I think Kevin Walter stands a fair chance of being a salary cap casualty in 2013 so we'll need quality and depth at WR. I think WR is a 1st round need.
2. DT/NT- I think Sean Cody will be gone at the end of this season if he even plays and we'll need a new guy to work in rotation with Mitchell who hasn't looked very good in preseason so far. This is a 2nd or 3rd round need.
3. Safety- this need all depends on if we re-sign Glover Quin or not. BB thinks he could be gone in 2013 and I'm thinking he might be on the bubble. He's not a big time play maker so re-signing him shouldn't be terribly expensive but I think his future with the team might depend on how much money we need to re-sign other players. Quin could be a salary cap cut to re-sign Schaub and/or Barwin. This is 50/50 and could go either way. If Quin stays there's no need, if he goes then it's a 2nd or 3rd round need.
4. OT- Butler is gone and we'll need a new swing OT to take Newtons place. 3rd round need.
5. OG- Brooks steps up and takes someones job in 2013, probably Caldwell's due to the money still owed to W. Smith so interior O-line depth will be a need and may be addressed twice in 2013. 3rd - 5th round need.
6. CB- this need will depend on if we re-sign McCain or not. He's not great but he's not bad either and even mediocre CB's can be expensive. With JJ, KJ, and Harris probably taking the nickle spot in 2013 McCain might be gone. I can see CB maybe being a 3rd - 5th round need.
7. ILB- James is probably a one year rental but I think since this isn't a full time spot and we have depth with Dobbins, Alexander, and Louiseau the Texans probably won't address this until the later rounds unless someone great just unexpectedly falls in their lap.
8. FB- this is a 6th or 7th round priority but I sure would like to nail down this position with a real FB that's here to stay.

I once thought that DE and TE could be needs in 2013 due to Antonio Smith and OD being possible salary cap cuts but having read on another site about the money still owed them it makes them less likely to be cut. How do yall see our needs now that TC is almost over?

Havnt posted in the college forum for a while ... good to be back.

bolded is my biggest areas of concern for the reasons you mentioned.

also im not sure about the money owed on OD but i do feel TE is a must get early. Graham and OD are similar types of TEs we need a real difference maker at the position. the NFL is moving to these large TEs that exploit undersized safeties and not as athletic 'backers.
Going forward with graham as the standard TE, casey who offers versatility and then a large blocking and REDZONE target for a TE would be great for this team.
Also correct me if I'm wrong but OD is around 30 and has some injury issues won't be too long before his stats start to decline.

havnt had a chance to look much at the TE from Notre Dame just a little on youtube what do you guys think of him? ill be keeping an eye on him during the season

Rey
08-29-2012, 08:46 AM
1) NT - Cody is a fine player, but he's no game changer. He does his job so I'm not knocking him. Really taking a player that could play the NT position doesn't mean he's taking Cody's job. We just need more talent at the position and this pick is more because Earl Mitchell hasn't looked all that good and Cody has been struggling with injury issues.

2) DB - If McCain has another good year he may want to go somewhere for a chance to start and more money. You can always use quality players in the secondary.

3) OL - We need more quality players there. Need someone to push Newton and Butler may not be here long.

4) ILB - Bradie James has been kind of not a big deal. The depth behind them isn't all that, and I'm not expecting Sharpton to do anything of significance and wouldn't be surprised if he never plays for us again. Give me a big talented MLB to blow up the playside and let Seek and destroy ball carriers.

5) TE - We just need more talented bodies there. I'd like to have another Casey type player that could play some FB and some TE.

badboy
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM

I once thought that DE and TE could be needs in 2013 due to Antonio Smith and OD being possible salary cap cuts but having read on another site about the money still owed them it makes them less likely to be cut. How do yall see our needs now that TC is almost over?Although my thoughts bounce around a lot between this time of year and the next draft, I still like my most recent mock for 2013. As most I agree that Matt Schaub will be the focal point of what Texans do. I want to go BPA but still address our weaknesses. Here is a link from August 29th on Benton teaching the Oline and being successfull with low in the draft selections. http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/rt-newton-most-recent-testament-to-the-tutelage-of-benton/

He has good record but then I think of Shelley Smith. It is quite possible that OG/RT may not be a high pick as some have indicated.

McCain could leave for a chance at starting plus he should be feeling heat from Brandon Harris. I'd be lying if I said RCB with KJ, Ball and Carmichael does not concern me. This is position I'll be watching this season as I keep up with college corners.

ILB is an issue but just don't see any ILB that screams "pick me" early rounds that would stand out above my selections. I also am leaning towards Bradie James being re-signed for 2013 IF he is what Wade expects.

FB. I too would like to have a draft pick for about 8 years and why I push for one on last day of 2012 draft.

Insideop
10-10-2012, 09:26 PM
OK, we are 5 weeks in to the season and the Texans stand at 5-0. They just lost Cush for the season, picked up Barrett Ruud, and cut Trindon. They will have Martin doing the KR/PR duties and Lestar Jean is coming off a knee scope. So, has everybody's draft needs changed for the Texans or are they still the same? I know I have been wanting them to get an ILB and a NT for awhile now (Since the last draft.) because I thought these 2 areas were thin. Now my concerns are even more so. What say you?

thunderkyss
10-10-2012, 09:33 PM
OK, we are 5 weeks in to the season and the Texans stand at 5-0. They just lost Cush for the season, picked up Barrett Ruud, and cut Trindon. They will have Martin doing the KR/PR duties and Lestar Jean is coming off a knee scope. So, has everybody's draft needs changed for the Texans or are they still the same? I know I have been wanting them to get an ILB and a NT for awhile now (Since the last draft.) because I thought these 2 areas were thin. Now my concerns are even more so. What say you?

I'd like to wait till the end of the season, to see where we are, if anything transpired by the trade deadline & how the latest class of FA performed.

With that said, Bradie James needs to be upgraded, WR is still held down by two players over 30, & we're seriously underperforming from an outside pass rushing stand point.

steelbtexan
10-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Depending on where the Texans end up drafting.

Rd.1 Jesse Williams NT ALA
Rd.2 Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tenn
Rd.3 Brennan Williams OT North Carolina
Rd.3 D.J. Swearinger S South Carolina
Rd.4 Jake Knott ILB ISU

This draft would make me jump for joy.

Wolf6151
10-11-2012, 12:52 AM

My list of 2013 draft needs was made up almost 5 months ago. Most of those listed needs are still the same but a few have changed. Here's how I see it now:

DT/NT, Cody will be gone next season and Mitchell is nothing special. First round need.
OT/OG, BB has faith in Newton and Kubiak and has been trying to convince me as well. Sorry BB I still don't see it. This is a 2nd round need. Even if Newton does work out we'd still get a guy that would add starter quality depth to the O-line or may take W. Smith's spot in 2013 or 2014.
CB, I think McCain will be gone after this season due to FA and we sure could use some high quality upgrades/depth in the secondary.
WR, I like Martin but Jean has shown nothing special and Posey was just a mistake. Walter might be a salary cut and we need someone to be an explosive #2 with #1 potential. This is an opportunity pick based on BPA.
ILB, Cushing will be back next season but the other ILB spot is a 2 down rotational one. James ain't getting it done but I like Dobbins. We still could use some better quality and younger depth here. Mid round 4-5 need, a better DT/NT lessens the need at ILB.
Safety, is a depth only need but Keo should be gone. We could get better in nickle and dime packages and special teams.
P, Donnie Jones is on the wrong side of 30 and could be upgraded. A good young P to hold the position for the next 10-12 yrs. and cheaper as well.
RB, if Rick Smith is smart he trades Tate in the offseason so we may look at RB as an opportunity pick as well, after the 3rd round.

SBT, I like Patterson as well but I have my doubts that he'll go pro in 2013. I think he stays at Tennessee and is a high 1st rounder in 2014. Good beginnings of a mock though.

beerlover
10-11-2012, 01:23 AM
1st WR Need to add vetical weapon oppossite AJ to eventually replace AJ
2nd ILB For obvious reasons
3rd NT/DT Better value for position to groom
4th OT/OG More depth, couple free agents to be
5th DB Another CB if McCain leaves or safety help & special teams/returner
6th TE Need a better blocking TE to shade the tackle
7th RB late round steal, Texans may move Tate

:wesmantexanfan:

rmartin65
10-11-2012, 06:32 AM

This looks good. I would add a pass rush specialist and a QB to groom to give us 9 picks, which seems to be the consensus for how many comp picks we will get.

I will say that RB is a need, since I think there is a very good chance that we move Tate at the draft. Practically no chance we re-sign him after next year, might as well get value if we like the RB group in this next draft, or if Meggett looks good on the PS (which I think is possible).

badboy
10-11-2012, 09:10 AM
My list of 2013 draft needs was made up almost 5 months ago. Most of those listed needs are still the same but a few have changed. Here's how I see it now:

DT/NT, Cody will be gone next season and Mitchell is nothing special. First round need.
OT/OG, BB has faith in Newton and Kubiak and has been trying to convince me as well. Sorry BB I still don't see it. This is a 2nd round need. Even if Newton does work out we'd still get a guy that would add starter quality depth to the O-line or may take W. Smith's spot in 2013 or 2014.
CB, I think McCain will be gone after this season due to FA and we sure could use some high quality upgrades/depth in the secondary.
WR, I like Martin but Jean has shown nothing special and Posey was just a mistake. Walter might be a salary cut and we need someone to be an explosive #2 with #1 potential. This is an opportunity pick based on BPA.
ILB, Cushing will be back next season but the other ILB spot is a 2 down rotational one. James ain't getting it done but I like Dobbins. We still could use some better quality and younger depth here. Mid round 4-5 need, a better DT/NT lessens the need at ILB.
Safety, is a depth only need but Keo should be gone. We could get better in nickle and dime packages and special teams.
P, Donnie Jones is on the wrong side of 30 and could be upgraded. A good young P to hold the position for the next 10-12 yrs. and cheaper as well.
RB, if Rick Smith is smart he trades Tate in the offseason so we may look at RB as an opportunity pick as well, after the 3rd round.

SBT, I like Patterson as well but I have my doubts that he'll go pro in 2013. I think he stays at Tennessee and is a high 1st rounder in 2014. Good beginnings of a mock though.To clarify our PMs, Newton is a 6th so not sure Gary goes high with OT +reputation of our Oline coach turning average guys into quality starters. I posted somewhere in last few days that right side is doing very well in blocking for run & entire line is very good at protecting Schaub. If Newton simply holds his own and Harris continues to improve, we are set. OG is much more of a concern for me but Jone has been ok and we'll see Caldwell back against GB.

I like Patterson but think he might remain in school.
I agree on McCain and discovered yesterday that a neighbor of mine graduated high school with him. Martin just got a big break with TH being cut. Posey still has no clue what he is doing but I think Kubes gives him another season. I still have WR but later round.

I awakened during the night thinking Quin will re-sign so I'll probably take Micah Hyde off my current mock. I am hoping Tate for a late first/early second to be used for LSU's Minter ILB. I may go with two ILBs on next mock as we have basically nothing after Dobbins and he needs to be what some of you guys say he is. I can see James & Alexander gone.

I see no reason to replace Jones, Donnie. Punters can be good well into 30s & a vet that does not rattle is worth the extra cost.

Keo is already gone as the Eagles sang.

Insideop
10-11-2012, 10:17 AM

SBT, I like Patterson as well but I have my doubts that he'll go pro in 2013. I think he stays at Tennessee and is a high 1st rounder in 2014. Good beginnings of a mock though.

Good post!

NT I agree with some of what you're saying. We do need a NT early on in the draft and I would be good with sbt's pick of Williams in the 1st.

ILB I would like to pick up an ILB sooner than what you have because I'm not sure when Sharpton and Cush will be back and how they will perform. Maybe in the 2nd to 3rd round and I have been hearing/reading about a kid from Western Kentucky named, of all things, Andrew Jackson. Also, James, Ruud, and Dobbins are all getting "long in the tooth" so I think we are pretty thin in this area.

OT/OG May not be as high on my list. I think Newton just needs a little more time to develop and, although Harris is still somewhat of a ?, he has been doing OK and could be our "swing tackle" for now. As for OG, I think we will draft another one. I'm just not sure how late in the draft. I guess it all depends on the development of Brooks and Jones, and how long Caldwell and Wade Smith hold up.

CB/S I think we will resign McCain and GQ and hold what we have, although I know Rick Smith likes to get a DB or 2 somewhere in the draft. And with us hopefully having extra picks I think we will probably get at least 1 DB in the draft. Just not sure where, but probably late for depth.

WR/TE I think it's too early to give up on Jean, Martin, and Posey. I'm hoping, now that Jean will be playing again and K-Mart will be doing KR/PR, that Kubes will start using all 3 a little more in the passing game. They do need to step up. One area I was hoping to draft high in (1st or 2nd) was at TE. I want a "Gronk" clone. And right now we only have 2 listed TE's on our roster (OD and Graham) and OD will be 30 soon.

P They will probably keep D. Jones, but we had the "good young P" you were talking about last year. His name was Hartmann. Wish they could've kept him somehow because he had a strong leg, and if I'm not mistaken, they used him for kickoffs.

RB I could see them letting Tate go and getting a back late in the draft or UDFA.

steelbtexan
10-11-2012, 10:18 AM
A playmaking WR that can beat 1 on 1 coverage is a must. IMHO

AJ isn't getting any younger.

My 2 top prospects to fill this need are Aaron Dobson and Cordarrelle Patterson. What do y'all think of these guys and what do they go in?

badboy
10-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Good post!

NT I agree with some of what you're saying. We do need a NT early on in the draft and I would be good with sbt's pick of Williams in the 1st.

ILB I would like to pick up an ILB sooner than what you have because I'm not sure when Sharpton and Cush will be back and how they will perform. Maybe in the 2nd to 3rd round and I have been hearing/reading about a kid from Western Kentucky named, of all things, Andrew Jackson. Also, James, Ruud, and Dobbins are all getting "long in the tooth" so I think we are pretty thin in this area.

OT/OG May not be as high on my list. I think Newton just needs a little more time to develop and, although Harris is still somewhat of a ?, he has been doing OK and could be our "swing tackle" for now. As for OG, I think we will draft another one. I'm just not sure how late in the draft. I guess it all depends on the development of Brooks and Jones, and how long Caldwell and Wade Smith hold up.

CB/S I think we will resign McCain and GQ and hold what we have, although I know Rick Smith likes to get a DB or 2 somewhere in the draft. And with us hopefully having extra picks I think we will probably get at least 1 DB in the draft. Just not sure where, but probably late for depth.

WR/TE I think it's too early to give up on Jean, Martin, and Posey. I'm hoping, now that Jean will be playing again and K-Mart will be doing KR/PR, that Kubes will start using all 3 a little more in the passing game. They do need to step up. One area I was hoping to draft high in (1st or 2nd) was at TE. I want a "Gronk" clone. And right now we only have 2 listed TE's on our roster (OD and Graham) and OD will be 30 soon.

P They will probably keep D. Jones, but we had the "good young P" you were talking about last year. His name was Hartmann. Wish they could've kept him somehow because he had a strong leg, and if I'm not mistaken, they used him for kickoffs.

RB I could see them letting Tate go and getting a back late in the draft or UDFA.RMartin65 & I have been tooting Andrew Jackson horn. Not great in coverage but monster against run.

badboy
10-11-2012, 12:10 PM
A playmaking WR that can beat 1 on 1 coverage is a must. IMHO

AJ isn't getting any younger.

My 2 top prospects to fill this need are Aaron Dobson and Cordarrelle Patterson. What do y'all think of these guys and what do they go in?

Dobson from small school and needs better stats imo to wow Texans. C.P is real deal.

Insideop
10-11-2012, 06:04 PM
RMartin65 & I have been tooting Andrew Jackson horn. Not great in coverage but monster against run.

Yes he may be only a 2 down ILB but I like what I'm hearing about this kid. This is what WalterFootball had to say about him:

Andrew Jackson*, ILB, Western Kentucky
Height: 6-1. Weight: 265.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2012): 2-4.
9/22/12: Jackson has totaled 21 tackles this season. He held his own against Alabama with seven tackles and 1.5 tackles for a loss.

8/31/12: The Lakeland, Fla. product Jackson grew up in Ray Lewis' hometown and has patterned his game after the future Hall of Famer. Jackson had 109 tackles with 17 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks, one interception and one forced fumble in 2011. The sophomore played well against the better competition with 12 tackles and a sack against Kentucky and eight tackles and a sack against LSU.

Jackson is a thumper of a linebacker. He has good instincts and some quickness. Jackson is extremely physical and has real presence on the field with a big-time demeanor. It was his first season of playing time, so the junior has a lot of potential and a high ceiling to get better in 2012 and 2013.

If he's there with the "last pick" :winky: of the 2nd I hope they take him. He probably won't make it to the end of 3rd. If he plays like they say he does I think he would be well worth it in the 2nd. Plus, I'm hoping with the extra picks we get for compensation, that we can package a couple together and move back up in the 2nd rd and maybe get a big/fast TE or maybe WR.

thunderkyss
10-11-2012, 08:05 PM

Posey hadn't played football in over a year. I think we'll see a different guy come December/January.

That said, I don't think he'll threaten to replace Andre, which I think is where we need to be looking for a WR, 1st or 2nd round.

76Texan
10-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Posey hadn't played football in over a year. I think we'll see a different guy come December/January.

That said, I don't think he'll threaten to replace Andre, which I think is where we need to be looking for a WR, 1st or 2nd round.

Did you see how Posey chased down Joe McKnight on that return?

That guy ran a 4.40 at the combine.
Posey came from across the field and was still able to catch up to him.
He didn't complete the tackle, but that was some serious speed he got there.

The Pencil Neck
10-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Did you see how Posey chased down Joe McKnight on that return?

That guy ran a 4.40 at the combine.
Posey came from across the field and was still able to catch up to him.
He didn't complete the tackle, but that was some serious speed he got there.

I was impressed by that, too. A lot of heart and desire to not give up on the play and some good speed to catch up to him.

The Pencil Neck
10-13-2012, 02:02 PM
There are some things we still need to learn from this season.

1. Is the right side of our o-line going to be OK?
2. Did we have any WRs?
3. Do we have a guy who can challenge Wade Smith for the LG spot?

ILB -- If there is any way in hell we can get Teo, then we get Teo. Otherwise, we need someone to start grooming for the future cause I'm thinking Sharpton ain't the guy.

WR -- If no one steps up out of this WR class, then we need to get someone who will.

RB -- Because we're a run-oriented team. We need as many good young guys coming up through our system as we can get.

DT -- Obviously, Wade doesn't want a classic NT. So let's get a good DT who's better at what Shaun Cody does than either Shaun or Earl are.

CB -- Someone to groom and to learn to do what we need them to do. Can't have too many good CBs.

Insideop
10-16-2012, 09:24 AM
DT -- Obviously, Wade doesn't want a classic NT. So let's get a good DT who's better at what Shaun Cody does than either Shaun or Earl are.

The Packers game should have exposed why we need a "classic NT." With a classic NT being the guy that takes 2 O-linemen to block him, that frees up JJ Watt and/or your LB's to make plays. In the GB game Watt was taking the double coverage leaving Cody to make the play. Ain't happening! :smiliepalm: Don't know if Wade will draft a bigger NT, but we definitely need on that will command 2 blockers, so Watt or the LB's can do their thing.

Goldensilence
10-16-2012, 10:55 AM
There are some things we still need to learn from this season.

1. Is the right side of our o-line going to be OK?
2. Did we have any WRs?
3. Do we have a guy who can challenge Wade Smith for the LG spot?

ILB -- If there is any way in hell we can get Teo, then we get Teo. Otherwise, we need someone to start grooming for the future cause I'm thinking Sharpton ain't the guy.

WR -- If no one steps up out of this WR class, then we need to get someone who will.

RB -- Because we're a run-oriented team. We need as many good young guys coming up through our system as we can get.

CB -- Someone to groom and to learn to do what we need them to do. Can't have too many good CBs.

Good assessment of each position that can use and upgrade.

I'm interested to see as the season wears on how Justin Forsett performs because it might mean we can move Tate for an extra pick because I don't forsee another big FA signing this off-season.

I do think 1st round WR and ILB are interchangeable depending on who is available. Would love to see the FO make a move up for someone, I think if there is ever going to be a time to make a move for someone to get us over the hump it's going to be this coming draft.

The only way I go 1st round DT is if you get a Ngata clone.

This is pretty much how I have this draft lined up as of today.

badboy
10-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Yes he may be only a 2 down ILB but I like what I'm hearing about this kid. This is what WalterFootball had to say about him:

Andrew Jackson*, ILB, Western Kentucky
Height: 6-1. Weight: 265.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2012): 2-4.
9/22/12: Jackson has totaled 21 tackles this season. He held his own against Alabama with seven tackles and 1.5 tackles for a loss.

8/31/12: The Lakeland, Fla. product Jackson grew up in Ray Lewis' hometown and has patterned his game after the future Hall of Famer. Jackson had 109 tackles with 17 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks, one interception and one forced fumble in 2011. The sophomore played well against the better competition with 12 tackles and a sack against Kentucky and eight tackles and a sack against LSU.

Jackson is a thumper of a linebacker. He has good instincts and some quickness. Jackson is extremely physical and has real presence on the field with a big-time demeanor. It was his first season of playing time, so the junior has a lot of potential and a high ceiling to get better in 2012 and 2013.

If he's there with the "last pick" :winky: of the 2nd I hope they take him. He probably won't make it to the end of 3rd. If he plays like they say he does I think he would be well worth it in the 2nd. Plus, I'm hoping with the extra picks we get for compensation, that we can package a couple together and move back up in the 2nd rd and maybe get a big/fast TE or maybe WR.nfldraftscout.com another source I use does not have Jackson even listed. I know what I see when I watch him. He seems to be in on almost every play. Unbelievable motor.

badboy
10-16-2012, 01:09 PM
The Packers game should have exposed why we need a "classic NT." With a classic NT being the guy that takes 2 O-linemen to block him, that frees up JJ Watt and/or your LB's to make plays. In the GB game Watt was taking the double coverage leaving Cody to make the play. Ain't happening! :smiliepalm: Don't know if Wade will draft a bigger NT, but we definitely need on that will command 2 blockers, so Watt or the LB's can do their thing.Agree on bolded.

badboy
10-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Good assessment of each position that can use and upgrade.

I'm interested to see as the season wears on how Justin Forsett performs because it might mean we can move Tate for an extra pick because I don't forsee another big FA signing this off-season.

I do think 1st round WR and ILB are interchangeable depending on who is available. Would love to see the FO make a move up for someone, I think if there is ever going to be a time to make a move for someone to get us over the hump it's going to be this coming draft.

The only way I go 1st round DT is if you get a Ngata clone.

This is pretty much how I have this draft lined up as of today.Forsett signed one year deal so he would have to re-sign and if he has a good year, might go elsewhere.

Nose, Cody probably gone so you better get someone better than Mitchell and that would have to be before our second round selection.

Goldensilence
10-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Forsett signed one year deal so he would have to re-sign and if he has a good year, might go elsewhere.

Nose, Cody probably gone so you better get someone better than Mitchell and that would have to be before our second round selection.

Do I think Cody could be upgraded? Definitely, but I don't see him being a big re-sign unless Wade just wants to move on and feels he's going to or has plans to draft.

I think Grimes who I think is still on PS showed good flashes in Pre-season and could step into the 3rd down back position next season if Forsett isn't resigned. I do think it's going to be difficult for him to get a decent number of touches to warrant a huge contract elsewhere.

The Pencil Neck
10-16-2012, 03:26 PM
I think Grimes who I think is still on PS showed good flashes in Pre-season and could step into the 3rd down back position next season if Forsett isn't resigned. I do think it's going to be difficult for him to get a decent number of touches to warrant a huge contract elsewhere.

Signed away by the Jets.

WolverineFan
10-17-2012, 02:37 PM
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB
No need. Schaub has been extended and Yates is a decent-solid backup option. Keenum is a project 3rd stringer. No real need to add.

RB
Foster has been extended, but Tate is up after 2013 and Forsett is on a one year deal. We have Meggett on PS, but he's not a viable #2 option yet. I've looked at RB quite a bit because I think it's very important for us to have a very good option behind Foster. Some guys that I like...

- Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State
- Giovanni Bernard, North Carolina
- Stephan Taylor, Stanford
- Jonathan Franklin, UCLA
- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

*It looks like a great RB class this year if a few guys come out early.

FB
I really like Casey and he has progressed splendidly. But I would like to see us add a guy here so Casey can play more TE. One guy I really like is Trey Millard from Oklahoma. Guy is an absolute monster. I would jump at the chance to take him in the 4th-5th round. This is more luxury than need.

WR
We really need to add a complementary piece to Andre. Someone who can take over for him in a few years. I love Walter, and he is money on crucial plays (especially 3rd down). But we need to add more playmakers. Adding Martin was a step. I really like Robert Woods (USC), he could come in and be a #2 immediately and take over for Andre down the road. Another guy who could contribute early is Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee), he can really stretch the field and make plays.

TE
Not really a need, but I would like to see us add a FB (to get Casey more TE looks) or add another TE later. Again, this is a luxury.

OL
We need interior help. Badly IMO. A couple guys I would take early shots at are Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones, both from Alabama. Both could play OG, and in Jones' case he could play anywhere on the line. We could also take a shot at a mid-round OT like Xavier Nixon (Florida) to replace Butler. If we want to go OT early, Taylor Lewan (Michigan) might still be there.

DEFENSE:
DE
I haven't looked at many DE prospects yet. Sharrif Floyd (Florida) could be a guy to watch though. William Gholston (Michigan State) has worlds of untapped potential, but I don't know if he can put things together.

DT
NT is by far the weak spot up front for us. Many guys think we need to add a massive plugger, but it just seems to me like that's not going to happen. One guy I've loved for over a year now is Kawaan Short (Purdue). The guy is an absolute monster and can rush the passer from the inside. The only issue is if Wade thinks he would be a good fit at NT. Another guy I like is Akeem Spence (Illinois).

OLB
We don't really need an OLB if we re-sign Barwin, but I don't think we will. We didn't draft Mercilus to sit on the bench. If we don't retain him I think it would behoove us to draft another pass rusher. One guy who I absolutely love is Chase Thomas (Stanford).

ILB
Huge need, IMO. The one guy I would like to see us draft over all others is Manti Te'o (Notre Dame), but that just doesn't seem feasible. I really like Shayne Skov from Stanford as a backup option.

CB
I think we need more CB's. Or better CB's I should say. Ball is not a legitimate option and Carmichael is a ST player. I don't know what to make of Harris at this point. I would take Jonathan Banks (Mississippi State) in a heart beat. I also like Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) and Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State). Both of those guys could be 2nd-3rd round steals.

S
We need playmakers. We have some good players in Quin, Mannings, Demps, and Nolan. Solid, but not playmakers. We could add a guy like Eric Reid (LSU), T.J. McDonald (USC), or Matt Elam (Florida). Elam is a walking highlight reel.

beerlover
10-17-2012, 08:29 PM
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB
No need. Schaub has been extended and Yates is a decent-solid backup option. Keenum is a project 3rd stringer. No real need to add.

RB
Foster has been extended, but Tate is up after 2013 and Forsett is on a one year deal. We have Meggett on PS, but he's not a viable #2 option yet. I've looked at RB quite a bit because I think it's very important for us to have a very good option behind Foster. Some guys that I like...

- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

FB
I really like Casey and he has progressed splendidly. But I would like to see us add a guy here so Casey can play more TE. One guy I really like is Trey Millard from Oklahoma. Guy is an absolute monster. I would jump at the chance to take him in the 4th-5th round. This is more luxury than need.

WR
We really need to add a complementary piece to Andre. Someone who can take over for him in a few years. I love Walter, and he is money on crucial plays (especially 3rd down). But we need to add more playmakers. Adding Martin was a step. I really like Robert Woods (USC), he could come in and be a #2 immediately and take over for Andre down the road. Another guy who could contribute early is Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee), he can really stretch the field and make plays.

TE
Not really a need, but I would like to see us add a FB (to get Casey more TE looks) or add another TE later. Again, this is a luxury.

OL
We need interior help. Badly IMO. A couple guys I would take early shots at are Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones, both from Alabama. Both could play OG, and in Jones' case he could play anywhere on the line. We could also take a shot at a mid-round OT like Xavier Nixon (Florida) to replace Butler. If we want to go OT early, Taylor Lewan (Michigan) might still be there.

DEFENSE:
DE
I haven't looked at many DE prospects yet. Sharrif Floyd (Florida) could be a guy to watch though. William Gholston (Michigan State) has worlds of untapped potential, but I don't know if he can put things together.

DT
NT is by far the weak spot up front for us. Many guys think we need to add a massive plugger, but it just seems to me like that's not going to happen. One guy I've loved for over a year now is Kawaan Short (Purdue). The guy is an absolute monster and can rush the passer from the inside. The only issue is if Wade thinks he would be a good fit at NT. Another guy I like is Akeem Spence (Illinois).

OLB
We don't really need an OLB if we re-sign Barwin, but I don't think we will. We didn't draft Mercilus to sit on the bench. If we don't retain him I think it would behoove us to draft another pass rusher. One guy who I absolutely love is Chase Thomas (Stanford).

ILB
Huge need, IMO. The one guy I would like to see us draft over all others is Manti Te'o (Notre Dame), but that just doesn't seem feasible. I really like Shayne Skov from Stanford as a backup option.

CB
I think we need more CB's. Or better CB's I should say. Ball is not a legitimate option and Carmichael is a ST player. I don't know what to make of Harris at this point. I would take Jonathan Banks (Mississippi State) in a heart beat. I also like Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) and Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State). Both of those guys could be 2nd-3rd round steals.

S
We need playmakers. We have some good players in Quin, Mannings, Demps, and Nolan. Solid, but not playmakers. We could add a guy like Eric Reid (LSU), T.J. McDonald (USC), or Matt Elam (Florida). Elam is a walking highlight reel.

must spread rep around, but very good post :barman:

steelbtexan
10-17-2012, 09:12 PM
must spread rep around, but very good post :barman:

Ditto, Glad to hear from you again WF.

Got him

Tailgate
10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Load up on OL (c,rg,rt), ILB, DT, and secondary. That should cover the next draft.

ILB or RT in first round.

badboy
10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB

RB

- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

FB

WR

TE

OL

DEFENSE:
DE

DT

OLB

ILB

CB

S
We need playmakers. We have some good players in Quin, Mannings, Demps, and Nolan. Solid, but not playmakers. We could add a guy like Eric Reid (LSU), T.J. McDonald (USC), or Matt Elam (Florida). Elam is a walking highlight reel.Quick comment on RB, need for #2 only a need if Tate is gone as you know so I am not seeing RB as a priority. That gives time for Meggett to develop.

badboy
10-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Load up on OL (c,rg,rt), ILB, DT, and secondary. That should cover the next draft.

ILB or RT in first round.Picking weak areas is half the battle but the easy part. What players do you recommend? Keep in mind we should be drafting no higher than about #28. Please don't just names off another's mock but tell us why you like the guy. I am assuming you watch games and tapes?

badboy
10-18-2012, 10:22 AM
My take on needs:

Offense:
QB

RB

- Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt

FB

WR

TE

OL

DEFENSE:
DE

DT

OLB

ILB

CB

S
We need playmakers. We have some good players in Quin, Mannings, Demps, and Nolan. Solid, but not playmakers. We could add a guy like Eric Reid (LSU), T.J. McDonald (USC), or Matt Elam (Florida). Elam is a walking highlight reel.I don't mean to be argumentative & do appreciate your post and effort. Which WR is Kubiak giving up on? Posey who has minimal playing time & Gary gave up a second to trade down and select? No. Martin who seemingly is what we expected? No. Lestar Jean who is the only potential to eventually replace AJ? Doubt it. Woods should be gone by our first pick & are you not

concerned by his drops or avg? Patterson is very good but probably returns to Tenn.

TE: 100% agree

OL: I see Dallas taking Barrett Jones as he can play any of their sucky positions. Warmack best OG and gone. Wade Smith is going nowhere unless Brooks vastly improves or Smith's health deteriorates. Jones should be our RG so don't see high pick for OL.

OLB: 100%agree
ILB: You must see something in Skov I don't. I've quit watching him.

CB:Banks should be gone in first, Poyer & Gilbert gone by our second. Would you give your first for either?

S: agree but check out Micah Hyde Iowa 6'1" 190 CB who would be perfect SS replacement if Quin goes and can play corner with 4.43 speed

steelbtexan
10-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Patterson reminds me alot of a young AJ. He has that kind of ability. He will shoot up the draft boards after the combine. Allen will end up as the only WR drafted higher than Patterson. (I think he will come out early.)

Hyde is small for a S. He got in trouble with the law. Doesn't seem like a future Texan to me. Give me Swearinger in the 4th. A CB I really like that could be available later is Tharold Simon from LSU. He's not flashy but he does his job. (3rd/4th rd.

badboy
10-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Patterson reminds me alot of a young AJ. He has that kind of ability. He will shoot up the draft boards after the combine. Allen will end up as the only WR drafted higher than Patterson. (I think he will come out early.)

Hyde is small for a S. He got in trouble with the law. Doesn't seem like a future Texan to me. Give me Swearinger in the 4th. A CB I really like that could be available later is Tharold Simon from LSU. He's not flashy but he does his job. (3rd/4th rd.Hyde is perfect imo for our safeties & at 6'1" could pick up some weight.

Legal issue (misdomeaner) and I suggest you read the entire article:

The police confronted the group at the corner of Bowery and Gilbert St., told them to stop and flashed their lights. Hyde and the rest of the group ignored the command and started running.

Police chased Hyde, who was apprehended two blocks away. According to the report, Hyde had “bloodshot watery eyes and an odor of an alcoholic beverage” and showed 6 of 6 signs of impairment and refused a post arrest breathalyzer.

Hyde stated “he had drunk a vodka/Sprite, a shot and a Bud Light earlier in the night.”

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/201210061231/NEWS01/121006001&nclick_check=1

Also:
Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said in a statement released Saturday that he was disappointed because all three players have been "good citizens" during their time in our program.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/10/08/iowa-cb-micah-hyde-listed-as-starter-despite-weekend-arrest/#ixzz29giQ3s8g

Wolf6151
10-18-2012, 04:52 PM

Hyde is small for a S. He got in trouble with the law. Doesn't seem like a future Texan to me. Give me Swearinger in the 4th. A CB I really like that could be available later is Tharold Simon from LSU. He's not flashy but he does his job. (3rd/4th rd.

I hope your right about Patterson coming out early that'll just add to the depth at WR and allow us to get a good one in the 2nd round. Personally I think he stays in school and is then in the top 10 in 2014.

I have to agree with BB when I look at Hyde I see a SS that would be very good depth behind Quin or in place of him if we lose Quin to FA. Thanks for the new name at CB, Tharold Simon, I haven't seen him yet.

Playoffs
10-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Not a draft need, but I want Kirk Cousins from the Redskins. I think he has "it", and needs to spend a couple of years under Kubes learning the ropes.

Honoring Earl 34
10-19-2012, 11:45 AM

We sure seem to have a bunch more chinks in the armor than we did in August . I don't know about mock drafts but I do have likes and concerns .

1. A 3/4 with no pass rush from the OLB is a concern .
2. A TE who is a big target ( 6'6 ) and a really good blocker would be nice .
3. ILB depth
4. OL help
5. WR help
6. QB to groom to challenge TJ .
6. DL help
7. I like the OU FB .

badboy
10-19-2012, 02:29 PM
We sure seem to have a bunch more chinks in the armor than we did in August . I don't know about mock drafts but I do have likes and concerns .

3. ILB depth
4. OL help
5. WR help
6. DL help
7. I like the OU FB .We are still banging heads and reviewing tape and bouncing ideas off each other but hopefully you will like the Bye Week mock Beerlover, RMartin65 and I are creating. Not sure we agree with you though on drafting a QB as Kubes really likes Case Keenum. If we do select one it will be late round about where you identify one.

steelbtexan
10-19-2012, 10:24 PM

3. ILB depth
4. OL help
5. WR help
6. DL help
7. I like the OU FB .

1. Mercilus was drafted to be that guy. I trust Wade.
2. Agreed TE is a need, but there isn't much difference in a 2nd rd TE like Sims and a 5th rd TE like Lutzenkirchen. (Who I really like alot) IMHO
3. We think alike on ILB, Knott from Iowa St. would be a good fit with the Texans
4. OL help, depends on how you feel Jones/Newton will develop. I rate this as a higher need because the Texans are a run 1st team.
5. This is the #1 need IMHO, Luckily this is a very talented and deep draft class.
6. If one of the top QB's fall (Bray) I would take him in the 1st rd. Otherwise a 3rd rd guy I like is Murray from Georgia. He reminds me of Brees.
6. DL help, NT is #2 need on my list, because if Cody leaves Micthell cant handle NT on an every down basis.
7. Love Millard, this guy is just a football player.

Corrosion
10-20-2012, 07:41 AM

Its not that he doesnt "want" that type of player , its that those guy's are few and far between and come with a premium price tag .... He's making do at the position with less and taking advantage of the skills of the players around him.

I guarantee you if he could have that guy right now , he'd jump at the chance.

The Packers game should have exposed why we need a "classic NT." With a classic NT being the guy that takes 2 O-linemen to block him, that frees up JJ Watt and/or your LB's to make plays. In the GB game Watt was taking the double coverage leaving Cody to make the play. Ain't happening! :smiliepalm: Don't know if Wade will draft a bigger NT, but we definitely need on that will command 2 blockers, so Watt or the LB's can do their thing.

The DL has had issues in earlier games being run against but the Packers definately exposed them. I really wonder how much missing Cushing has to do with what happened to the DL against GB.
Offenses have to account for Cushing on every play .... Not having to gameplan for both Cushing and Watt made their jobs significantly easier.

Either way , Cody will be a FA after the season and I have no idea if they will retain him or look to replace him in FA or the draft.

Considering really good DT/NT's tend to go early , finding that guy in the draft might be problematic , paying for that player in FA may be expensive too.

Right now , I dont know how I would rank the Texans needs in the coming draft , injuries , FA , players aging and some just not producing , even tho they are 5-1 I see a lot of improvement that could be made.

RG , RT , NT/DT , ILB , WR in no particular order.

RG/RT spots havent come along as well as most of us hoped .... maybe they improve over the course of the season. If not , these are positions in need of help considering how important the running game is to the execution of this offense.

NT/DT discussed above. Lots of options.

ILB - Expect Cushing back to his normal self and James hasnt been horrible but could be upgraded as well as the depth at the position. Sharpton isnt that guy.

WR - drafted a couple this year but they havent really produced , Going to hold off on calling it a serious need until further notice , hoping they rookies develop. Both have speed to burn .... and Jean will be back soon and he's a gamer.

Rey
10-20-2012, 08:17 AM
1. Mercilus was drafted to be that guy. I trust Wade.
2. Agreed TE is a need, but there isn't much difference in a 2nd rd TE like Sims and a 5th rd TE like Lutzenkirchen. (Who I really like alot) IMHO
3. We think alike on ILB, Knott from Iowa St. would be a good fit with the Texans
4. OL help, depends on how you feel Jones/Newton will develop. I rate this as a higher need because the Texans are a run 1st team.
5. This is the #1 need IMHO, Luckily this is a very talented and deep draft class.
6. If one of the top QB's fall (Bray) I would take him in the 1st rd. Otherwise a 3rd rd guy I like is Murray from Georgia. He reminds me of Brees.
6. DL help, NT is #2 need on my list, because if Cody leaves Micthell cant handle NT on an every down basis.
7. Love Millard, this guy is just a football player.

Wade also drafted Brandon Harris, roc Carmichael and Shiloh keo....he brought in bradie James and ball too...

I'm not going to say any of those guys are busts, but they haven't made any kind of impact either.

Also, if barwin leaves we need another Olb. Hell, if barwin stays we need to find someone that can consistently pressure qb's in one on one situations.

Dion Jordan.

And I completely disagree on wr. No room. They are not going to shelve posey, jean or Martin this early. Kw looks good catching the ball this year. And Andre is not going anywhere. At least he shouldn't.

We have plenty of receiving weapons.

steelbtexan
10-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Wade also drafted Brandon Harris, roc Carmichael and Shiloh keo....he brought in bradie James and ball too...

I'm not going to say any of those guys are busts, but they haven't made any kind of impact either.

Also, if barwin leaves we need another Olb. Hell, if barwin stays we need to find someone that can consistently pressure qb's in one on one situations.

Dion Jordan.

And I completely disagree on wr. No room. They are not going to shelve posey, jean or Martin this early. Kw looks good catching the ball this year. And Andre is not going anywhere. At least he shouldn't.

I love Jordan, however after the combine he will probably be a top 15 pick. I think Mercilus will get the 1st shot if Barwin walks. For the same reason you think Posey will get more PT next yr. Barwin $$$$ is going down by the game. Barwin needs to lose weight and Wade has changed his scheme slightly. With that said Barwin has vastly underperformed.

Patterson or Dobson have potential to be available late in the 1st rd, where the Texans should be picking. They not only would be BPA, but a position of need. IMHO You should check out their highlights. I've seen Patterson play many times and he reminds me of a younger version of AJ. If he's there late in the 1st rd you run your card to the podium and call it a night.

beerlover
10-20-2012, 09:52 AM

Dion Jordan.

Only if you include TE/RB position. Andre the great has fallen, out of the top 20, currently ranked 29th. He has 25 receptions, 358 yards, 2 TD's big Whoop! After him it gets even worse, all the way down to 81st, Keven Walter with 15 receptions 205 yards & one TD. Really. Plenty of receiving weapons? Martin is now taking over kick return duties, he has dropped as many passes as he's caught (6 catches targeted 16 times). Lestar Jean had two receptions for 53 yards before season ending injury, last year he missed entire season & now your suggesting he can be counted on (ultimate shelf player so far). Posey??? Can't decide his biggest play the off sides call that allowed Green Bay another opportunity that resulted in a TD or the fumble recovery in the Packers end zone for a TD? so far he has a big gooses egg (0) heck even Matthew Stafford has at least one catch, ridiculous.

The Texans are in dire need of WR help & the best source of addressing this need is early in 2013 draft. Once Andre Johnson career is over people will look back *****, whine & complain how did the Texans not see this coming & find at least a suitable replacement (will probably never be fully replaced). :toropalm:

Rey
10-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Ok, well ill just agree to disagree that wr is a top priority.

Guess our mocks will be completely different. :tiphat:

Corrosion
10-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Ok, well ill just agree to disagree that wr is a top priority.

Guess our mocks will be completely different. :tiphat:

Im with you on the WR position at least for the time being. I want to see how these young guy's perform thru the rest of the season before I pass judgement.

NT , ILB and OL are my top priorities as it stands now and picking late in the first round (one would assume) would be a good use of assets in picking one of those positions as the early picks tend to be used at more glamour positions. There is value to be found.

badboy
10-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Im with you on the WR position at least for the time being. I want to see how these young guy's perform thru the rest of the season before I pass judgement.

NT , ILB and OL are my top priorities as it stands now and picking late in the first round (one would assume) would be a good use of assets in picking one of those positions as the early picks tend to be used at more glamour positions. There is value to be found. As I posted earlier, I don't see Kubiak going against history and moving any of our current WRs; however, BL has an accurate eval of our guys. None have done anything much including AJ. I love the guy but he is not the AJ of old. Not sure of reason.

If there is a guy that is a vast improvement over what we have, especially if he is an eventual replacement for Johnson, I pull trigger in first.

Scooter
10-20-2012, 12:47 PM
i think regardless of how our young guys perform, it's way past time to go after a #1 receiver. we may have some talent to develop, but i dont see anyone on our roster taking the job from andre. walter's going to get cut as soon as the next guy shows up, and martin looks to have the slot position. with 'dre slowing down i would move him to walter's spot and use our first on a #1 receiver - possibly moving tate to trade up.

ILB is the second position of need for me, but i'd be looking for a complete 3 down player if at all possible. someone who stays on the field with cushing when we go to nickel instead of rotating in another safety. more and more teams are spreading the field and we need to be more complete up front in nickel formations.

NT for obvious reasons is still something to look at, though one i'd probably look more towards free agency to find one - we know how well early round defensive tackles can be evaluated.

TE, OL, DB - late round players to continue adding depth.

beerlover
10-20-2012, 12:58 PM
i think regardless of how our young guys perform, it's way past time to go after a #1 receiver. we may have some talent to develop, but i dont see anyone on our roster taking the job from andre. walter's going to get cut as soon as the next guy shows up, and martin looks to have the slot position. with 'dre slowing down i would move him to walter's spot and use our first on a #1 receiver - possibly moving tate to trade up.

ILB is the second position of need for me, but i'd be looking for a complete 3 down player if at all possible. someone who stays on the field with cushing when we go to nickel instead of rotating in another safety. more and more teams are spreading the field and we need to be more complete up front in nickel formations.

NT for obvious reasons is still something to look at, though one i'd probably look more towards free agency to find one - we know how well early round defensive tackles can be evaluated.

TE, OL, DB - late round players to continue adding depth.

damn fine job scooter, I like the way you made it sound so simple :toast2:

badboy
10-20-2012, 01:54 PM

TE, OL, DB - late round players to continue adding depth.Yep let's go get a free agent nose to start and who will agree to play for nothing. lol

Honoring Earl 34
10-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Yep let's go get a free agent nose to start and who will agree to play for nothing. lol

Yep ... 300 plus guys who have a high motor and can move are called multi millionaires and are worth every penny .

The SEC has some huge NG types this year .

badboy
10-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Yep ... 300 plus guys who have a high motor and can move are called multi millionaires and are worth every penny .

The SEC has some huge NG types this year .Evaluating one now and Sylvester Williams plays @ 6 against Duke and Jesse Williams plays @ 6 against Tennessee (WR Cordarelle Patterson).

Goldensilence
10-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Yep let's go get a free agent nose to start and who will agree to play for nothing. lol

We already have something pretty close in Cody, I think it's possible he resigns. But, I think Scooter's point is the FO can likely find comparable production via FA as opposed to sinking a high draft pick in an NT.

I'm with Scooter far as where our top two choices should be, personally I'd go ILB because the depth there is lacking but also because I don't think Bradie James is going to be here next year. Texans need a second 3 down ILB who can cover.

I'm not overly concerned at OLB right now and after dropping a first last year ona guy who is supposed to turn into a monster rusher last year I think the FO can look later in the draft for depth.

Scooter
10-20-2012, 03:41 PM

we have 2 on the team now. smith did as much a few years ago, filling our ranks will well playing walk ons. sure the big names are going to command big money, but there are plenty of motivated heavies each year. my point was you're more likely to get production out of an overlooked free agent than amobi okoye or travis johnson - DT appears to miss more than hit in early rounds.

Honoring Earl 34
10-20-2012, 04:45 PM
we have 2 on the team now. smith did as much a few years ago, filling our ranks will well playing walk ons. sure the big names are going to command big money, but there are plenty of motivated heavies each year. my point was you're more likely to get production out of an overlooked free agent than amobi okoye or travis johnson - DT appears to miss more than hit in early rounds.

Yep ... but you have to draft Vince Wolfork and Casey Hampton .

beerlover
10-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Yep ... but you have to draft Vince Wolfork and Casey Hampton .

2004 is when I became serious about the draft. Last week Wilfork was my pick (for the Texans) does that count for anything :cheese:

badboy
10-20-2012, 08:10 PM
We already have something pretty close in Cody, I think it's possible he resigns. But, I think Scooter's point is the FO can likely find comparable production via FA as opposed to sinking a high draft pick in an NT.

I'm with Scooter far as where our top two choices should be, personally I'd go ILB because the depth there is lacking but also because I don't think Bradie James is going to be here next year. Texans need a second 3 down ILB who can cover.

I'm not overly concerned at OLB right now and after dropping a first last year ona guy who is supposed to turn into a monster rusher last year I think the FO can look later in the draft for depth.Cody has played better than I expected but still our middle is a sieve. We can get a starter as low as third round. Cody is 30 in Jan & has back disk problems. Te'o is considered top 15 & Kevin Minter 2nd rated ILB (I like him) only got one tackle today against Texas A&M; was a sack but only one tackle? We have an ILB that can replace James and start but later than 2nd round.

badboy
10-20-2012, 08:16 PM
we have 2 on the team now. smith did as much a few years ago, filling our ranks will well playing walk ons. sure the big names are going to command big money, but there are plenty of motivated heavies each year. my point was you're more likely to get production out of an overlooked free agent than amobi okoye or travis johnson - DT appears to miss more than hit in early rounds.Two what? I think Wade Phillips has convinced most fans he knows how to draft. We are a SB contender with no cap room & we should not be signing low cost free agents to play significant minutes let alone start. See Alan Ball & Bradie James. This team is now where we should be drafting not signing FAs.

76Texan
10-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Anybody knows much about Ezekiel Ansah (BYU)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-JxQlaxBHU

I saw him played anywhere on the line, from NT to OLB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4NawUsjtc

During the BYU/ND game today, Mike Mayock mentioned that some scout told him Ansah may even slip into the first round. Can you believe that?

badboy
10-20-2012, 09:32 PM

During the BYU/ND game today, Mike Mayock mentioned that some scout told him Ansah may even slip into the first round. Can you believe that?
yeah been watching him for a bit and he should be climbing up boards.

Goldensilence
10-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Cody has played better than I expected but still our middle is a sieve. We can get a starter as low as third round. Cody is 30 in Jan & has back disk problems. Te'o is considered top 15 & Kevin Minter 2nd rated ILB (I like him) only got one tackle today against Texas A&M; was a sack but only one tackle? We have an ILB that can replace James and start but later than 2nd round.

Yep really would love to get Te'o and Cushing on the field, that'd be sick, too bad it's very unlikely to happen.

Saw the LSU game, but they had to play differently than they usually do, containing Manziel as opposed to the way they usually play downhill.

Who replaces James? Dobbins? Sharpton?

I guess I just think getting an ILB would give more immediate results than tagging another DT high, they're just so boom or bust.

rmartin65
10-20-2012, 09:42 PM

Anything can happen. I think first is a bit high (due to him being so raw), but the athleticism is there. The comparisons to JPP are quite accurate, in my opinion.

Corrosion
10-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Two what? I think Wade Phillips has convinced most fans he knows how to draft. We are a SB contender with no cap room & we should not be signing low cost free agents to play significant minutes let alone start. See Alan Ball & Bradie James. This team is now where we should be drafting not signing FAs.

I think for a team to be truely successful , you have to do both - draft well and supliment your roster with quality signings from the FA market. That doesnt necessarily mean high priced , but high production for the cost.

The FA market tends to be the more expensive route to filling roster spots especially when dealing with veteran players as they have a higher minimum salary to go along with a body of work to base pay on. And premium positions /players expect a premium salary (See Mario Williams).

badboy
10-21-2012, 06:27 PM
I think for a team to be truely successful , you have to do both - draft well and supliment your roster with quality signings from the FA market. That doesnt necessarily mean high priced , but high production for the cost.

The FA market tends to be the more expensive route to filling roster spots especially when dealing with veteran players as they have a higher minimum salary to go along with a body of work to base pay on. And premium positions /players expect a premium salary (See Mario Williams).Salary cap has just about eliminated free agent movement & that is what NFL wanted. We will see an occasional pick up like Harris who may give you a year or two at cheap cost but draft is way to go in future.

Goldensilence
10-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Salary cap has just about eliminated free agent movement & that is what NFL wanted. We will see an occasional pick up like Harris who may give you a year or two at cheap cost but draft is way to go in future.

Eliminated FA movement.... I think that's a pretty overboard statement. I mean look at the Texans this year far as who got picked off the team via FA straight up and who had to be let go for cap reasons.

Corrosion is right in you have to be able to know how to draft and find good value in the FA market. I'm not really expecting the Texans to make another big splash like J. Joseph and Manning again soon, but if there's space next year and the FO feels like theres a player out there that is going to put the team over the top into the SB...I'd like to see them make that move.

TEXANRED
10-21-2012, 10:01 PM
OLine is the biggest need at this point. I don't like either guard. I also have to apologize to Winston cus I thought he was over-rated but after watching Newton I wish Eric was back.

badboy
10-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Eliminated FA movement.... I think that's a pretty overboard statement. I mean look at the Texans this year far as who got picked off the team via FA straight up and who had to be let go for cap reasons.

Corrosion is right in you have to be able to know how to draft and find good value in the FA market. I'm not really expecting the Texans to make another big splash like J. Joseph and Manning again soon, but if there's space next year and the FO feels like theres a player out there that is going to put the team over the top into the SB...I'd like to see them make that move.That is just it, there will be no space next year or years after; point being all the vet contracts being re-done to open up money under the cap. 2012 is first full year under cap after a full off season. As I stated in another thread couple months ago, examples like Mario support my position as teams like Buffalo come into line with the new CBA of spending percentage. IIRC, 2013 all teams must spend 90 % and only a few did not meet the 80% criteria this season. Also, many of the players who renegotiated their deals, like AJ so they could get upfront money and offer space under cap, that "Bonus" or upfront money is prorated and if player gets cut all of the prorated is forced into the cap.

This could be a good thing for us allowing us to keep good players without overpaying or losing to other teams: Barwin, Quin, Caldwell, Forsett, Casey, Cody, McCain, Butler (?), Demps, Dobbins, Gardner, Shane Graham, Harris, James, Donnie Jones, Nading, and Nolan. It is debatable which are "good."

Goldensilence
10-21-2012, 10:45 PM
That is just it, there will be no space next year or years after; point being all the vet contracts being re-done to open up money under the cap. 2012 is first full year under cap after a full off season. As I stated in another thread couple months ago, examples like Mario support my position as teams like Buffalo come into line with the new CBA of spending percentage. IIRC, 2013 all teams must spend 90 % and only a few did not meet the 80% criteria this season. Also, many of the players who renegotiated their deals, like AJ so they could get upfront money and offer space under cap, that "Bonus" or upfront money is prorated and if player gets cut all of the prorated is forced into the cap.

This could be a good thing for us allowing us to keep good players without overpaying or losing to other teams: Barwin, Quin, Caldwell, Forsett, Casey, Cody, McCain, Butler (?), Demps, Dobbins, Gardner, Shane Graham, Harris, James, Donnie Jones, Nading, and Nolan. It is debatable which are "good."

I dunno if my understanding is right the cap has increased under the new CBA, not saying that directly helps the Texans given that they are currently going through a spell of having to decide who their core is going to be the next few years.

The real good, stable long terms teams have been that way for a while because they have learned to manage the cap teams like Pitt, N.E., Balt, Philly, and I think you gotta add the NYG to that list now.

I do think there is going to be some dead money coming off the books next year so that might help.

To me this is why guys like Wade and Gary in terms of being an offensive guru come into play. You need guys who have a system in place where you know what you are looking for and can plug them in and get production. You pay big performers the money and get what you can out of the draft and finding reasonable picks ups in FA.

I think the biggest gripe in the past for fans of the Texans was not being a big player in the FA market when there wasn't the kind of team core you could build around. Right now they've JUST entered that phase were you CAN point to guys and say... this is who we're going to build around. It's not hard to me atm to justify pretty much every extension the team has given out this year. I think for the first time we're seeing that.

Insideop
10-21-2012, 11:00 PM
OLine is the biggest need at this point. I don't like either guard. I also have to apologize to Winston cus I thought he was over-rated but after watching Newton I wish Eric was back.

I know Newton had some bad plays today but you can't give up on him yet. He's basically a Rookie just learning the ropes right now. It's the same as when Brown played his 1st year. He got schooled for at least the first half the season, and then slowly started improving until now being regarded as one of the best LT's in the game. That 1st year was pretty brutal for him and people on this board wanted him gone, and thought the Texans had "another blown 1st round pick." Don't give up on Newton yet. He still has a lot to learn. As for the 2 guards, well that's another story.....

dream_team
10-22-2012, 12:15 AM
I know Newton had some bad plays today but you can't give up on him yet. He's basically a Rookie just learning the ropes right now. It's the same as when Brown played his 1st year. He got schooled for at least the first half the season, and then slowly started improving until now being regarded as one of the best LT's in the game. That 1st year was pretty brutal for him and people on this board wanted him gone, and thought the Texans had "another blown 1st round pick." Don't give up on Newton yet. He still has a lot to learn. As for the 2 guards, well that's another story.....

I totally agree. I see a lot of potential in Newton, and to me, he's a better pass blocker than Winston. We definitely need to replace Wade & Caldwell. I'm really hoping Brooks will step up next season and challenge to start, like what Newton did this year.

badboy
10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
I dunno if my understanding is right the cap has increased under the new CBA, not saying that directly helps the Texans given that they are currently going through a spell of having to decide who their core is going to be the next few years.

The real good, stable long terms teams have been that way for a while because they have learned to manage the cap teams like Pitt, N.E., Balt, Philly, and I think you gotta add the NYG to that list now.

I do think there is going to be some dead money coming off the books next year so that might help.

To me this is why guys like Wade and Gary in terms of being an offensive guru come into play. You need guys who have a system in place where you know what you are looking for and can plug them in and get production. You pay big performers the money and get what you can out of the draft and finding reasonable picks ups in FA.

I think the biggest gripe in the past for fans of the Texans was not being a big player in the FA market when there wasn't the kind of team core you could build around. Right now they've JUST entered that phase were you CAN point to guys and say... this is who we're going to build around. It's not hard to me atm to justify pretty much every extension the team has given out this year. I think for the first time we're seeing that.Nope. Last season under old CBA 2009: The cap was due to increase $7 million to $123 million this season, but additional adjustments stipulated in the current CBA will increase the total amount that teams can spend on player compensation to about $128 million. The $12 million increase is the largest in three years. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4169590

2010: uncapped

2011: first under new CBA : Earlier this week it was revealed that the salary cap for the 2011 NFL season would be 120 million. John Clayton also reported that there could be an addition 20 million available in ancillary benefits. The biggest development is that the cap floor will be 90% of the cap. Raising the cap floor will force all teams to spend at least 108M.http://nflfootballnow.com/2011/07/21/2011-nfl-salary-cap-and-floor-where-32-teams-stand/

2012: The salary cap for next season has been set at $120.6 million, according to league sources. As expected, the figure is almost identical to last year’s salary cap of $120 million.The league later confirmed the figures'

2013: ESPN’s John Clayton previously reported that the cap is supposed to go from $120.6 million to roughly $120.9 million in 2013. That’s an increase of only $300,000 -- not good news for any NFC South team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/33468/nfc-south-cap-woes-to-continue-in-2013

Also: 2013: Minimum team spending begins: One of the highlights of the labor deal, from the perspective of the players, comes from the requirement that each team muat spend at least 89 percent of the salary cap in cash on an annual basis. “We cannot have teams like KC spend only 67% of the cap like they did in 2009,” Saints quarterback Drew Brees wrote in an e-mail to his teammates. “It doesn’t matter how high the cap is if they are only going to spend that much. So with a minimum in place, it requires all teams to be at or above that minimum. More money in players pockets.”

The players got what they wanted. But it doesn’t apply until 2013.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/per-team-spending-minimum-doesnt-apply-until-2013/

GS, here is a great tool for cap questions http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/FAQ.aspx

thunderkyss
10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm going to assume Wade & Gary were right & their "projects" work out. Caldwell & Newton, already as good as Brisiel & Winston in pass pro step it up & we again have the best line in the NFL at the end of the season. Myers & Brown go to the Pro-Bowl & first team All-pro. Garrett, Casey, & OD become the best trio of TE/FBs in the league. & Jean & Martin solidify our recieving needs & Posey shows flashes of why he was drafted (he's been out of football for a long time, expecting him to be uber productive with the number of young WR talent + Andre + Walter + TEs/FB + Foster/Tate is asking for a bit too much).

Reed blows up, Barwin blows up, Merci blows up, Crick takes over at NT, Watt stays Watt, Kareem & Jjo go to the Pro-bowl, Joseph is also All-Pro, Jackson is 2nd team, Quin & Manning are the best safety tandem in the league....

In short, we have no glaring needs.

Assuming this, I'd hope the Texans would draft...... the most dynamic punt/kick returner in the draft.

badboy
10-22-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm going to assume Wade & Gary were right & their "projects" work out. Caldwell & Newton, already as good as Brisiel & Winston in pass pro step it up & we again have the best line in the NFL at the end of the season. Myers & Brown go to the Pro-Bowl & first team All-pro. Garrett, Casey, & OD become the best trio of TE/FBs in the league. & Jean & Martin solidify our recieving needs & Posey shows flashes of why he was drafted (he's been out of football for a long time, expecting him to be uber productive with the number of young WR talent + Andre + Walter + TEs/FB + Foster/Tate is asking for a bit too much).

Reed blows up, Barwin blows up, Merci blows up, Crick takes over at NT, Watt stays Watt, Kareem & Jjo go to the Pro-bowl, Joseph is also All-Pro, Jackson is 2nd team, Quin & Manning are the best safety tandem in the league....

In short, we have no glaring needs.

Assuming this, I'd hope the Texans would draft...... the most dynamic punt/kick returner in the draft.As you know there are some red flags waving in your post. Jean has to remain healthy enough to get on field and then do something. Posey to be worth a third should be able to line up out of the neutral zone even if he missed last year. I have little to no expectations of him this season but he better get it together next season same as Brandon Harris who should be cut if he can't do much better by game 2-3 next year if McCain gone. I think FA Caldwell is gone & why we drafted Jones and Brooks & Smith placed rookie Cody WHite OG on roster when another team tried to sign him off PS.
Crick is doing all he can to earn a spot at DE but is not a nose. Cody is FA and Mitchell is not a starter. In short a glaring need.

AJ as of now is an average WR1 and there is no deep threat on the roster. In short a glaring need.

You completely ignore ILB with James doing little and absolutely nothing behind him. In short a glaring need.

If Barwin blows up, we cannot afford to re-sign him most likely and if he does not do much more than he has prior to Baltimore, why should we keep him. OLBs in our scheme are not assigned to get close to QB but to disrupt and sack QB. If he is gone (Mario) we have basically same package as last year. Mercilus plays the Brooks Reed role as new starter & if we continue with script fom last draft, we go OLB in first round. In short a pretty glaring need.

If FA Quin wants more than we can pay, in short a glaring need.

If FA McCain leaves who replaces him? Carmichael and Harris cannot get on field. In short a glaring need.

Wolf6151
11-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Now that the season is halfway over and we've had a good chance to evaluate the team, let's see yalls updated list of team needs in the 2013 draft in order. You can take into affect who you think we'll lose/retain in FA. Does DE become a need with the injury to Jamison, if so what round? Do you have faith in Newton to be the answer at RT, will he anchor the position for years to come, and if not what round to select his replacement?

dsorc
11-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Now that the season is halfway over and we've had a good chance to evaluate the team, let's see yalls updated list of team needs in the 2013 draft in order. You can take into affect who you think we'll lose/retain in FA. Does DE become a need with the injury to Jamison, if so what round? Do you have faith in Newton to be the answer at RT, will he anchor the position for years to come, and if not what round to select his replacement?

I don't think Jamison changes our draft plans. We were likely to draft a DE anyways to groom in case Antonio leaves in the near future. Newton's play at RT has net been as good as expected making that our biggest need.

I see us re-signing Quin and Casey and one of the vet ILBs. I think Barwin gets paid more elsewhere and Cody is replaceable. With that said here's how I see our draft needs:

Early:
RT - Newton has failed IMO but would be a good swing tackle. Unfortunately, most of the top this OT class are juniors so it remains to be seen if there will be one for us at the end of round 1.

Middle:
ILB - Need a starter here. This is not a higher need because it's a 2-down position. I think the biggest question is whether we want a coverage LB or a thumper type. Our ILBs this season have struggled in coverage but generally the 2-down ILB is used in running and not passing downs.
DT - Similar to ILB. Don't think we go for a behemoth as ability to penetrate is more important in this system.
OG/C - Caldwell replacement and potential heir to Wade Smith. If they can play OC even better given that our backup OC is now our starting RG.
CB - McCain is a FA and we seem to draft a mid-round CB often.

Late or BPA in earlier rounds:
DE - Will Antonio price himself out of our range?
S - Can we find somebody better that Quintin Demps as our dime back?
WR - Will Kubiak give up on Posey this early? Walter also only has 1 more season with no guaranteed money left.
RB - Tate might be trade-bait
TE - no true blocking TE on the team anymore.
OLB - Just for depth. Mercilus can replace Barwin's production.

badboy
11-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't think Jamison changes our draft plans. We were likely to draft a DE anyways to groom in case Antonio leaves in the near future. Newton's play at RT has net been as good as expected making that our biggest need.

I see us re-signing Quin and Casey and one of the vet ILBs. I think Barwin gets paid more elsewhere and Cody is replaceable. With that said here's how I see our draft needs:

Early:
RT - Newton has failed IMO but would be a good swing tackle. Unfortunately, most of the top this OT class are juniors so it remains to be seen if there will be one for us at the end of round 1.

Middle:
ILB - Need a starter here. This is not a higher need because it's a 2-down position. I think the biggest question is whether we want a coverage LB or a thumper type. Our ILBs this season have struggled in coverage but generally the 2-down ILB is used in running and not passing downs.
DT - Similar to ILB. Don't think we go for a behemoth as ability to penetrate is more important in this system.
OG/C - Caldwell replacement and potential heir to Wade Smith. If they can play OC even better given that our backup OC is now our starting RG.
CB - McCain is a FA and we seem to draft a mid-round CB often.

Late or BPA in earlier rounds:
DE - Will Antonio price himself out of our range?
S - Can we find somebody better that Quintin Demps as our dime back?
WR - Will Kubiak give up on Posey this early? Walter also only has 1 more season with no guaranteed money left.
RB - Tate might be trade-bait
TE - no true blocking TE on the team anymore.
OLB - Just for depth. Mercilus can replace Barwin's production.I disagree with you on Newton. He gave up the sack to Mario but compare him to D. Brown's first season. Derek is in second year but only had about 17 snaps last season.

beerlover
11-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Texans or any football organization will always have needs. One concept that is hard to diagnose are cap ramifications as player career's transcend, evolve in scheme, clubhouse impact on field production. Can they be replaced & what is the cost? Texans draft based on best player available who can help improve/sustain team. So in essence it could be any position if that player is deemed best player on their board. WR, NT, ILB, DE, OT, CB & Safety are all valued positions, could be any of them, whoever falls into their laps. My focus & others who study the draft are to find & select elite talent who fit on this team. It's not enough just to say he has a high motor, prospect should also have athletic ability to become a play maker. Speed alone won't cut it, must also block, run correct routes & play smart. A prospect can plug the middle but also demonstrate ability to penetrate & collapse the pocket. Linemen maybe asked to kick inside or play outside so versatility is a plus. A corner who can play on an island yet physical with size & competent in run support or blitz the QB another favorite.

For each position they are layers of skill sets Texans grade out as important, ultimately built into their draft grade so when the moment comes in April all the research & evaluation allow them to see clearly in the ultra competitive environment that is the NFL Draft. :wesmantexanfan:

badboy
11-05-2012, 09:46 PM

Opinions?Decided to read your original thread again at 7-1. I may have posted this before but it is so obvious to me (lol) Crick may eventually replace Smith but maybe not if Smith plays as he has last two seasons. Texans would save his last contract year bonus $2.5m count against 2013 cap but could save his $6m salary if cut after this season. That is significant and at 32 next year, I cannot see him being extended even to lower his salary. How do we replace him? I use to think Earl Mitchell, not so sure now. If we see more of Crick that should tell us something.

Nose in draft is a must.

Corner? I think we are solid UNLESS Joseph's injury get's worth or reduces his ability. He is good at 90 % but we need him to be JJ of last year rest of his career. He plays such an important role.

Tate I cannot get a grasp of him or what to do going forward. He is rib-eye on the field but if you can only look at it on the menu, it does nothing to feed the hunger. I think his trade value is dropping every missed game. Hopefully, he will be back soon & have solid games. We were in driver's seat with trading him for value or playing him thru his cheap 2013 contract.

Forsett is all over the board even if his over all avg is good 4.4. How he got there is crazy first and last game less than 2 yds avg with second and third very good 5.3 (Baltimore) 6.7 GB. Too crazy to figure out. He's probably gone in free agency.

WR if a Woods or Allen (injury out for season) drops we should draft him first round as a franchise type player. I do not see that. I am hoping Nix falls to us in second so we can use first for a special guy I am reviewing. Problem is, how do you allow the best Nose to get past you in first and sweat 32+ picks? See above..Nose is a must.

TE: are you feeling silly yet about OD not as good as 2-3 years earlier? At mid season, he is avg 4.62 receptions/game x 13.9 yds per catch= 64.2875 per game x 8 remaining games= 514.3 yds. He has 478 + 514= 992 yards. As he is 30 (Nov 9th) with two years left = $8.5, do you bonus him & extend him a couple years non guaranteed to lower cap hit? Could Casey step into OD's shoes next season and we cut Daniels & save 8.5m? If so, better find a FB. Would Graham be a possible FB?

OLB (not on your list) nothing has changed to convince me Barwin returns.

beerlover
11-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Funny thing about Crick, one even two years ago on this very board members discussed merits of Crick playing nose for the Texans. Now that very moment may be upon us. :kitten:

Wolf6151
11-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Wow doing Texans 2013 draft needs in order of importance is tough, harder than I thought it would be. I think the Texans take a BPA at a position of need approach to the draft.

1. NT, Cody will be a FA, not worthy of an expensive FA contract, and Mitchell isn't ready to be a full time NT. I think Mitchell should be moved to DE depth with the injury to Jamison and solve our DE depth issues. 1st or 2nd round pick.

2. WR, I like Martin at #3 in the slot but Jean has shown nothing, and I think Posey was just a mistake. Obvious need, 1st - 3rd round pick.

3. O-line, RT is the giant elephant in the room that's obvious to everyone but no one knows what to do yet. I guess we'll know more about Newton at the end of the season. I still think a quality OT/OG pick is a necessity as the future of the O-line looks to be changing in the next couple years (Caldwell, W. Smith, and possibly Newton). This might be addresses twice in rounds 2 - 5.

4. ILB, provided Cushing is back next year it sure would be nice to have a young talented 2 down ILB playing next to him, one with potential for the future. 3rd - 5th round.

5. CB, I think we lose McCain to FA so some depth here would be nice. We still don't know what we have in Harris and Carmichael. 4th - 5th round.

6. FB & P, they're not glaring needs but solidifying these positions for years to come sure would be nice with some young inexpensive talent. 6th or 7th round.

DE is a possibility if like BB says and we save the 6 mil. salary but pay out the 2.5 mil. bonus to Antonio Smith. He's been playing really well and I'd hate to lose him in a money saving venture. Also if we cut Antonio to save money we'd be replacing 2/3 of our D-line at one time, and that can't be good.

TE is also a possibility but I think OD contract makes it unwise to cut him to try and save some money and he has also been playing extremely well this year, contrary to what I thought would happen. Got that one wrong obviously. Wrap some bacon around it and even crow tastes good.

RB is another possibility depending on what we do with Tate in the offseason. His trade stock sure seems to be going down this year though with little use and injuries. Hopefully he gets better and plows us into the playoffs and raises his trade stock again. With so many other needs/places to improve we sure could use the extra picks.

Safety, if we re-sign Quin this isn't really much of a need, I like Demps and Nolan as depth. They aren't starters but they're not bad either, maybe some late round Safety competition that moves Keo off the roster.

OLB, another position that's only a possibility if we lose Barwin to FA. I sure don't want him to go but I can only see him staying if we really get a sweet heart deal from him. I think BB might be right here, we may lose him, I'm 50/50 on the issue at this time. We won't be keeping Mercilus on the bench next season but we could possibly move Reed to ILB so that we can keep all 3 (Barwin, Reed, and Mercilus) and also solve our ILB issues at the same time. Food for thought.

aussie_texan
11-06-2012, 04:40 AM
Funny thing about Crick, one even two years ago on this very board members discussed merits of Crick playing nose for the Texans. Now that very moment may be upon us. :kitten:

crick was drafted this season

aussie_texan
11-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Wow doing Texans 2013 draft needs in order of importance is tough, harder than I thought it would be. I think the Texans take a BPA at a position of need approach to the draft.

1. NT, Cody will be a FA, not worthy of an expensive FA contract, and Mitchell isn't ready to be a full time NT. I think Mitchell should be moved to DE depth with the injury to Jamison and solve our DE depth issues. 1st or 2nd round pick.

2. WR, I like Martin at #3 in the slot but Jean has shown nothing, and I think Posey was just a mistake. Obvious need, 1st - 3rd round pick.

3. O-line, RT is the giant elephant in the room that's obvious to everyone but no one knows what to do yet. I guess we'll know more about Newton at the end of the season. I still think a quality OT/OG pick is a necessity as the future of the O-line looks to be changing in the next couple years (Caldwell, W. Smith, and possibly Newton). This might be addresses twice in rounds 2 - 5.

4. ILB, provided Cushing is back next year it sure would be nice to have a young talented 2 down ILB playing next to him, one with potential for the future. 3rd - 5th round.

5. CB, I think we lose McCain to FA so some depth here would be nice. We still don't know what we have in Harris and Carmichael. 4th - 5th round.

6. FB & P, they're not glaring needs but solidifying these positions for years to come sure would be nice with some young inexpensive talent. 6th or 7th round.

DE is a possibility if like BB says and we save the 6 mil. salary but pay out the 2.5 mil. bonus to Antonio Smith. He's been playing really well and I'd hate to lose him in a money saving venture. Also if we cut Antonio to save money we'd be replacing 2/3 of our D-line at one time, and that can't be good.

TE is also a possibility but I think OD contract makes it unwise to cut him to try and save some money and he has also been playing extremely well this year, contrary to what I thought would happen. Got that one wrong obviously. Wrap some bacon around it and even crow tastes good.

i think we resign cody. he wont demand much money we will be able to resign him but i agree that NT is still a massive need. you get another playmaker on that line and it becomes a force for the next 10 years! THINK ABOUT THAT !!!

i dont think WR is a need this season, to call posey a mistake this early i think is a little rash i would give one more year. unless one of the top WR's fall.
Im all for bringing in another TE over a WR. THe 2nd TE is a lot more important in our Offence the the 2nd WR.

everything else im with you

beerlover
11-06-2012, 08:50 AM
crick was drafted this season

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85872

badboy
11-06-2012, 09:41 AM
i think we resign cody. he wont demand much money we will be able to resign him but i agree that NT is still a massive need. you get another playmaker on that line and it becomes a force for the next 10 years! THINK ABOUT THAT !!!

i dont think WR is a need this season, to call posey a mistake this early i think is a little rash i would give one more year. unless one of the top WR's fall.
Im all for bringing in another TE over a WR. THe 2nd TE is a lot more important in our Offence the the 2nd WR.

everything else im with youFYI, some of us (mostly mockers) watch and talk about players way before they get to NFL.

WR: I tend to agree with you on WR especially Posey being given another year. Still, if a super good WR drops, I'd be all over that as you said. Also agree with you on TE. Will be adding a thread (not a mock) to NFL Mock section soon. Appreciate your comments.

steelbtexan
11-06-2012, 11:00 AM

everything else im with you

Cody is the glue that holds the run defense together. IMHO I shudder at the thought of Mitchell having to play NT on a regular basis. This is why I'm hoping That Rick will be able to re-sign Cody. Even if Cody re-signs NT should be high on the needs list.

If Williams or Nix is there at 32, I probably would take them. You can never have enough depth on the DL.

Wolf6151
11-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Cody is the glue that holds the run defense together. IMHO I shudder at the thought of Mitchell having to play NT on a regular basis. This is why I'm hoping That Rick will be able to re-sign Cody. Even if Cody re-signs NT should be high on the needs list.

If Williams or Nix is there at 32, I probably would take them. You can never have enough depth on the DL.

Which Williams are you in favor of taking at #32, Sylvester Williams or Jesse Williams?

beerlover
11-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Depth is 3rd round territory. If lucky, you not only hit need but find a perfect fit. Mike Martin was that prospect in last years draft. Selected middle of 3rd rd. by the Tennessee Titans #82nd overall. Texans passed in favor of Posey #68 & Brooks #76. What have you (they) done lately? nothing. Meanwhile my next to favorite Martin (65) has 27 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 QB pressures & 4 tackles for loss.

steelbtexan
11-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Which Williams are you in favor of taking at #32, Sylvester Williams or Jesse Williams?

Jesse,

Speaking of Williams' Brennan Williams RT North Carolina tore his labrum. If he recovers fully he should be available in the 3rd/4th rd.

Brennan Williams reminds me of a better version of Winston. Did you get a chance to see him play? His dad is a former NFL player, so he has talent and bloodlines.

Another guy to take a look at as a late rd pick Kyle Long. Howie boy, he hasn't played much football, but he is very athletically gifted. Kyle signed as a pitcher (MLB) straight out of high school.

Insideop
11-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Depth is 3rd round territory. If lucky, you not only hit need but find a perfect fit. Mike Martin was that prospect in last years draft. Selected middle of 3rd rd. by the Tennessee Titans #82nd overall. Texans passed in favor of Posey #68 & Brooks #76. What have you (they) done lately? nothing. Meanwhile my next to favorite Martin (65) has 27 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 QB pressures & 4 tackles for loss.

BL, that just makes me sick! I wanted the Texans to pick Martin so bad. I just knew he was going to be good and I thought he'd be perfect in Wade's system. I guess they didn't feel the same. Now, with Cody's latest injury, I hope they take an early round pick on a NT. NT has been a thin spot for awhile now IMO.

beerlover
11-08-2012, 11:28 AM
BL, that just makes me sick! I wanted the Texans to pick Martin so bad. I just knew he was going to be good and I thought he'd be perfect in Wade's system. I guess they didn't feel the same. Now, with Cody's latest injury, I hope they take an early round pick on a NT. NT has been a thin spot for awhile now IMO.

rare miss I'm hoping :mcnugget:

your right about NT need. our best run defender now is Watt & Barwin. First Cushing now Cody out, a bump either depth wise (Terrell McClain) or starting caliber/compete for starter minutes (Jesse Williams, Alabama or if Louis Nix or Sheldon Richardson make themselves available).

Quick II Draw
11-09-2012, 12:17 PM
The Texans "need" Jesse Williams, but will probably ignore him due to excessive neck tats, even though he is well spoken and maintained a respectable (3.5 JUCO) GPA.

badboy
11-09-2012, 02:42 PM
The Texans "need" Jesse Williams, but will probably ignore him due to excessive neck tats, even though he is well spoken and maintained a respectable (3.5 JUCO) GPA.Texans have history with several players with tats. Not sure of your point?

beerlover
11-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Texans have history with several players with tats. Not sure of your point?

He is just jokingly making the point how out of character he would be. Honestly I think we can all agree the times they are a changing. :)

badboy
11-10-2012, 05:50 PM
He is just jokingly making the point how out of character he would be. Honestly I think we can all agree the times they are a changing. :)Sorry, still don't get it as Texans have history of players with sleeves and all sorts of tats. Why would Jesse Williams be any different or out of character? No biggy just seemed incongruous.

LikeMike
11-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Actually I think we will just take the bpa. Right now we don't have any glaring holes. But we could use help almost everywhere. So bpa other than the following positions:

C, FB, DE (unless we lose Smith), OLB, and I'm almost inclined to include CB here as well with KJ and JoJo... I'm sure we could replace McCain. Oh and of course no P or kicker...

So just give me the best WR, OL, QB (yes, I'd be willing to invest in the future right now), TE, HB ( not very early but we might have to replace Tate), NT, ILB, S on the board and I'll be happy.

TimeKiller
11-12-2012, 07:28 AM
1 NT and yes, a BIG brick in the wall wouldn't be the worst thing in the world (the worst thing in the world is watching current Texan NTs get consistently blown straight off the line). Just somebody that can hold the point would be great. Making plays, stopping the run, pass rush would all be gravy lol...mmmmmm gravy....

2 WR. Andre still has it but for how long? And Walter is no spring chicken. There is no clear cut heir and this pick really churns up the depth.

3 P. Yup. I doubt the Texans go 3rd round for one but I think the need for one is...pretty obvious.

4 RG/RT. Hard to knock a line that has Schaub and Foster producing behind it but I think they could take another stab at RT, even with a few young bucks on the rise and a stellar, veteran left side.

5 CB should probably be higher but really drafting for depth. Hopefully turns out better than Brandon "Inactive" Harris.

6 RB. This team relies on the ground game, Foster is carrying a ton this year and Tate has officially spent half his career injured.

7 S. Need special teams help.

beerlover
11-12-2012, 09:27 AM
1 NT and yes, a BIG brick in the wall wouldn't be the worst thing in the world (the worst thing in the world is watching current Texan NTs get consistently blown straight off the line). Just somebody that can hold the point would be great. Making plays, stopping the run, pass rush would all be gravy lol...mmmmmm gravy....

2 WR. Andre still has it but for how long? And Walter is no spring chicken. There is no clear cut heir and this pick really churns up the depth.

3 P. Yup. I doubt the Texans go 3rd round for one but I think the need for one is...pretty obvious.

4 RG/RT. Hard to knock a line that has Schaub and Foster producing behind it but I think they could take another stab at RT, even with a few young bucks on the rise and a stellar, veteran left side.

5 CB should probably be higher but really drafting for depth. Hopefully turns out better than Brandon "Inactive" Harris.

6 RB. This team relies on the ground game, Foster is carrying a ton this year and Tate has officially spent half his career injured.

7 S. Need special teams help.

Yes to all the above. I'm totally revamping the way I look @ NFL draft prospects for Texans. Focus more on rough diamonds @ positions where depth is a concern, fill those holes w/high ceiling (affordable starting material) high character players. It's going to be tough on Rick Smith to keep this corp group together, Mercilus could replace Barwin, Harris could replace McCain & Texans not skip a beat. Maybe they resign Cody on the cheap since he is older & often nicked but spending a high pick @ his position is a strong probability. No way Texans sign Tate long term, so using him next draft to trade up in 2nd or 3rd is another viable option. Do Texans have to get a high end TE early, no, but he sure would help this possession style offense. Cushing will return next year so ILB will not be as big of need but long term he does need a running mate, more high quality inside linebacker depth at minimum. Martin looks better & better returning kicks, would like to see Texans keep some continuity with returner, focus more on setting up blocks down field. QB would be luxury pick, maybe use one of those supplemental picks? Interior line is the only must need in my view or if one of the elite RT prospects like Wagner is still available. Texans simply have to add more talent to protect Schaub because he lacks mobility & Foster needs cleaner holes to stay healthy & productive.

steelbtexan
11-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm going to be doing a mock draft soon.

The Texans need to fix the offense in the worst way. A NT is a lesser need at this point but if value is there they should take one in the 1st rd and not reach.

Needs as I see them
1.WR
2.RT
3.NT
4.OG hopefully Brooks becomes a player in his 2nd yr. Depth will still be needed.
5. RB Tate will probably be gone. I like Grimes

Scooter
11-12-2012, 09:37 AM
right tackle is climbing up my boards. newton's not showing me any progress - if anything he looks more lost each week.

right tackle, inside linebacker, and wide receiver are my top offseason priorities. i'm still not seeing the need to go nose tackle early, that seems like a luxury more than a need.

badboy
11-12-2012, 11:42 AM
right tackle is climbing up my boards. newton's not showing me any progress - if anything he looks more lost each week.

right tackle, inside linebacker, and wide receiver are my top offseason priorities. i'm still not seeing the need to go nose tackle early, that seems like a luxury more than a need.I think Texans have allowed only 12 sacks with one against Bears in horrible field and weather conditions. Newton did not give up that sack. He is still making some mistakes but so are the others. Newton is going to be ok.

Brandon420tx
11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
If there was ever a draft I'd advocate moving up to the middle of the first (or earlier) or the beginning of the second to get multiple big time prospects, it's this one. It seems like our team only need a few more pieces here and there

beerlover
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Texans will have to address long term contracts for both JJ Watt & Brian Cushing. Then guys like Barwin, Jackson & Quin are due. Texan brass on Kirby may look genius now but their work is never done & wil have to not only make the right choices, tough choices as well plus some Luck.

Good time this off-season to resign Cushing & Barwin. After that they will need to add several complimentary players on the cheap via draft/FA.

htownfan32
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Having drafted two WRs in the last draft... I don't think we're going to be drafting a 1-2 round WR. We need one, but we won't be. I don't think that's Rick Smith's m.o. and they're probably going to give Posey this free year and next year to prove himself before looking WR again, simply because they don't want to brush off such a recent draft pick as a bust so quickly.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Having drafted two WRs in the last draft... I don't think we're going to be drafting a 1-2 round WR. We need one, but we won't be. I don't think that's Rick Smith's m.o. and they're probably going to give Posey this free year and next year to prove himself before looking WR again, simply because they don't want to brush off such a recent draft pick as a bust so quickly.

No need to "brush off" Posey next year, just cut Jean or let Walter go and there's your WR spot.

We could also stand to let go of one o-lineman or RB from the 53 man roster and add another WR.

badboy
11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Texans will have to address long term contracts for both JJ Watt & Brian Cushing. Then guys like Barwin, Jackson & Quin are due. Texan brass on Kirby may look genius now but their work is never done & wil have to not only make the right choices, tough choices as well plus some Luck.

Good time this off-season to resign Cushing & Barwin. After that they will need to add several complimentary players on the cheap via draft/FA.I think we will see these guys extended in their last contract year as with Schaub and Foster and Myers. Cushing 2013 & Watt 2014. I am hopeful Quin and Casey gets renewed this off season. For example, I could see Antonio Smith (turned 31 Oct '12) being extended 2-3 years lowering his base from $6m(cap $8.5m) 2014.

As Jonathan Joseph is at $7.5m for '13 & '14 he seems a primary re-do that could bring Cushing back.

Schaub at $10 m ('14) 7 $12m ('15) could also be looked at then.

For me the future moves with Kareem Jackson free agent in 2015 with Watt and Derek Newton are more interesting. Still some time off but you can bet Chris Olsen Texans cap guru is working his calculator. KJ looks like a permanent fixture and Newton is holding his own at right tackle. All three could command mucho pesos.

To add spice and intrigue, TJ Yates and Brook Reed also are FAs in 15. I think both of these could be addressed by draft picks in same scenario we find Conner Barwin this year. The new CBA could really work in team's favor as planned.

Myers could be replaced by Jones in 2014 saving $5m & $6m (2015) for Watt.

I think all our prime time free agents can be re-signed if Smith wants them.
Another reason our drafts going forward excites me. :chickendance:

aussie_texan
11-12-2012, 07:00 PM
surprised no one is mentioning TE after the bears game. GG didnt offer much having to replace OD, i considered it a need before this game and the bears game reaffirmed this.

Wolf6151
11-13-2012, 12:30 AM
surprised no one is mentioning TE after the bears game. GG didnt offer much having to replace OD, i considered it a need before this game and the bears game reaffirmed this.

I disagree, but that's what message boards like this are for. I think OD will be back next season, and so will GG. I think Casey should be a relatively inexpensive re-signing and if we do go for a TE it would probably be someone like Michael Williams from Alabama who has some pass catching ability but is mostly a blocking TE in the later rounds.

dalemurphy
11-13-2012, 02:58 AM
While the cap will be our enemy moving forward, we will enter the 2013 draft with 4 extra picks (compensatory)... Definitely a 3rd and then at least two more picks between rounds 4 and 6, probably three...

This trend will continue. With our depth, every solid player we lose via free agency will net us a compensatory pick if we do not replace the player with a similar tiered free agent (up to 4). This heightens the importance of being responsible with contract extensions... Each bad contract will not only require a cap hit when the player is cut, but we will not receive draft pick compensation for it. Only players that play out their entire contract and are signed as free agents can net a team compensatory picks.

So, whomever we don't sign out of this group:

Barwin, Quin, McCain, Cody, Caldwell, Casey, Forsett, Dobbins (if they are offered more than about $1.25 million per year, will net the Texans an extra draft pick... However, if we cut A.Smith, W.Smith, or OD for cap room, we get zero compensation.

Wolf6151
11-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Dale you can add Butler to that list of FA as well, right? I think he's a FA at the end of this season and highly unlikely to be re-signed. Is 4 the limit of compensatory picks?

aussie_texan
11-13-2012, 08:04 AM
While the cap will be our enemy moving forward, we will enter the 2013 draft with 4 extra picks (compensatory)... Definitely a 3rd and then at least two more picks between rounds 4 and 6, probably three...

This trend will continue. With our depth, every solid player we lose via free agency will net us a compensatory pick if we do not replace the player with a similar tiered free agent (up to 4). This heightens the importance of being responsible with contract extensions... Each bad contract will not only require a cap hit when the player is cut, but we will not receive draft pick compensation for it. Only players that play out their entire contract and are signed as free agents can net a team compensatory picks.

So, whomever we don't sign out of this group:

Barwin, Quin, McCain, Cody, Caldwell, Casey, Forsett, Dobbins (if they are offered more than about $1.25 million per year, will net the Texans an extra draft pick... However, if we cut A.Smith, W.Smith, or OD for cap room, we get zero compensation.

i think its a lot more complex then just the 1.25 mill. the only players i think we get comp picks out of that group would be barwin and quin, the others dont get much stats and would be had fairly cheap

aussie_texan
11-13-2012, 08:06 AM
I disagree, but that's what message boards like this are for. I think OD will be back next season, and so will GG. I think Casey should be a relatively inexpensive re-signing and if we do go for a TE it would probably be someone like Michael Williams from Alabama who has some pass catching ability but is mostly a blocking TE in the later rounds.

i agree that OD and GG will be back but i feel a better player is need then GG.
We play a lot of 2 TE sets and so my reasoning is that TE is more important to our offence then WR so i would go TE over WR

beerlover
11-13-2012, 09:20 AM

Owen is under a controllable contract & Garret is valuable depth plus cheap so I didn't include them in context of resigning foundation players coming up on free agency.

As we've all seen if value presents itself, very few are better than Rick Smith recognizing/incorporating Tight Ends into Kubiaks offense. I think they pride themselves on finding talent in the middle rounds & turning them into very capable players. If Tyler Eifert is available 32nd :) he would be too tempting even for Texans to pass on, oh what he could do for Matt Schaub & company. More likely they stay in the middle rounds & add more of a inline power blocker that moves well, can block like a LT who can shade either tackle to seal off inside angles as well speed edge rushers. Three Amigos favorite is Iowa TE, CJ Fiedorowiez, 3rd rd.

badboy
11-13-2012, 12:51 PM
I disagree, but that's what message boards like this are for. I think OD will be back next season, and so will GG. I think Casey should be a relatively inexpensive re-signing and if we do go for a TE it would probably be someone like Michael Williams from Alabama who has some pass catching ability but is mostly a blocking TE in the later rounds.I too am watching Alabama's Williams as similar to Fiedo as a huge blocker that has soft hands but could be had probably in 5th opening up a higher pick for another position. Man I am hoping for some trade ups with our 3rd, 4th and 5th picks. If we can get a nose, WR2 and a ILB with three high picks we can fill in depth with comps.

1. WR Terrence Williams 2. (3,4,5) RB Ed Lacy 2b Nose Luis Nix (Tate) 2c (our own)QB Zac Dysert 3. comp ILB Andrew Jackson.

We could have as many as two comps in 5th & one in 6th.

badboy
11-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Owen is under a controllable contract & Garret is valuable depth plus cheap so I didn't include them in context of resigning foundation players coming up on free agency. As we've all seen if value presents itself, very few are better than Rick Smith recognizing/incorporating Tight Ends into Kubiaks offense. I think they pride themselves on finding talent in the middle rounds & turning them into very capable players. If Tyler Eifert is available 32nd :) he would be too tempting even for Texans to pass on, oh what he could do for Matt Schaub & company. More likely they stay in the middle rounds & add more of a inline power blocker that moves well, can block like a LT who can shade either tackle to seal off inside angles as well speed edge rushers. Three Amigos favorite is Iowa TE, CJ Fiedorowiez, 3rd rd.Exactly! Very well put! :cowboy1:

htownfan32
11-14-2012, 03:00 PM
No need to "brush off" Posey next year, just cut Jean or let Walter go and there's your WR spot.

We could also stand to let go of one o-lineman or RB from the 53 man roster and add another WR.

But if so, what kind of WR do we target? Are we looking for a smallish, speed guy in the Steve Smith mold or a bigger 6'2, 6'3 guy? The bigger guys in the upcoming draft are Keenan Allen (who won't fall to us), Justin Hunter (who may, but I see Cordarelle Patterson being there when we draft), Cordarelle Patterson himself and Da'Rick Rogers. Smaller guys would be Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey. Assuming we draft in the 28-32 range, who would we pick up?

Dutchrudder
11-14-2012, 04:03 PM
But if so, what kind of WR do we target? Are we looking for a smallish, speed guy in the Steve Smith mold or a bigger 6'2, 6'3 guy? The bigger guys in the upcoming draft are Keenan Allen (who won't fall to us), Justin Hunter (who may, but I see Cordarelle Patterson being there when we draft), Cordarelle Patterson himself and Da'Rick Rogers. Smaller guys would be Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey. Assuming we draft in the 28-32 range, who would we pick up?

Yeah, I don't expect Hunter or Allen to fall to us that late, Robert Woods might, but I would rather have one of the other two if possible. We should have 11 picks this next draft, so I would take a 1st, 3rd and 5th, and move up to the late teens to grab Keenan Allen if he's there. I don't know if he will fall that far though, but he might. If not, Hunter, Woods and Williams look like good prospects, and one of them could fall to our pick. I also wouldn't mind us using our 1st on Tyler Eifert to bolster the TE position for years to come. Use a 4th to move up to the mid-20's to grab Eifert, and then use the 2nd and 3rd to move up to the early 2nd and grab Williams or Woods if they are there. That would completely reshape our offense and give Kubiak more to work with.

badboy
11-14-2012, 04:18 PM
But if so, what kind of WR do we target? Are we looking for a smallish, speed guy in the Steve Smith mold or a bigger 6'2, 6'3 guy? The bigger guys in the upcoming draft are Keenan Allen (who won't fall to us), Justin Hunter (who may, but I see Cordarelle Patterson being there when we draft), Cordarelle Patterson himself and Da'Rick Rogers. Smaller guys would be Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey. Assuming we draft in the 28-32 range, who would we pick up?Just my thoughts & I have spent the last hour reviewing this position AGAIN (lol) I think Patterson comes out only if he gets a first round rating from NFL. Terrence Williams 6'2" 205 should be there 77/1431 19.6 avg. 4.49

I am just not sure Kubiak is going to add to WRs; Jean $1/2m 2013. Posier is 6'1 5/8 211 & projected 4.44 I think he's going nowhere. Martin solidifies his roster spot with returns. Walter is a solid WR2 6'3" 218 15 yd avg. He blocks downfield & that makes Gary grin. Add AJ and that's the same 5 with no second round WR beating out any imo. It's Williams in first or none.

Throw in Owen Daniels at a 900 yards pace...

aussie_texan
11-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Just my thoughts & I have spent the last hour reviewing this position AGAIN (lol) I think Patterson comes out only if he gets a first round rating from NFL. Terrence Williams 6'2" 205 should be there 77/1431 19.6 avg. 4.49

I am just not sure Kubiak is going to add to WRs; Jean $1/2m 2013. Posier is 6'1 5/8 211 & projected 4.44 I think he's going nowhere. Martin solidifies his roster spot with returns. Walter is a solid WR2 6'3" 218 15 yd avg. He blocks downfield & that makes Gary grin. Add AJ and that's the same 5 with no second round WR beating out any imo. It's Williams in first or none.

Throw in Owen Daniels at a 900 yards pace...

right on the money!

badboy
11-15-2012, 09:31 AM
right on the money!We still should be able to improve our "need" positions but I agree with Beerlover's post (somewhere) that we are seeing a repeat of 2012 draft. Receivers after first round are not very appealing. I wished we could see more of Lestar Jean! The dude has AJ size & could develop into a WR1. He and martin could take stress off me. lol

As the Three Amigos have discussed, Tyler Eifert would be a stong candidate if available in first.

Did anyone else hear that A&Ms Datrone Moore has said he is returning to college next season?

beerlover
11-15-2012, 10:17 AM
We still should be able to improve our "need" positions but I agree with Beerlover's post (somewhere) that we are seeing a repeat of 2012 draft. Receivers after first round are not very appealing. I wished we could see more of Lestar Jean! The dude has AJ size & could develop into a WR1. He and martin could take stress off me. lol

As the Three Amigos have discussed, Tyler Eifert would be a stong candidate if available in first.

Did anyone else hear that A&Ms Datrone Moore has said he is returning to college next season?

Hey, most sources I've heard indicate Damontre Moore will apply for early entry (lock first round grade). In fact he should displace Dion Jordan, Oregon, who could now be available end of 1st rd. if OLB is your cup of tea :shades:

badboy
11-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Hey, most sources I've heard indicate Damontre Moore will apply for early entry (lock first round grade). In fact he should displace Dion Jordan, Oregon, who could now be available end of 1st rd. if OLB is your cup of tea :shades:You know I am all over that! I either heard it on tv or maybe it was one of those trailers on ESPN but cannot track it down. I was listening to radio show last week and they were talking about Joeckel and Matthews remaining for next season as a possibility. That would sure mess up first round especially if some other players opted to do same.

:spin:

aussie_texan
11-15-2012, 07:29 PM
We still should be able to improve our "need" positions but I agree with Beerlover's post (somewhere) that we are seeing a repeat of 2012 draft. Receivers after first round are not very appealing. I wished we could see more of Lestar Jean! The dude has AJ size & could develop into a WR1. He and martin could take stress off me. lol

i think a few of you know how important i think TE is.
I think we should go with BPA at TE or NT in the first round. pretty much eifert against nix (who thanks to you guys i have been reading a lot about), jesse williams (cmon the aussie) and jenkins if he falls.

badboy
11-16-2012, 09:29 PM
i think a few of you know how important i think TE is.
I think we should go with BPA at TE or NT in the first round. pretty much eifert against nix (who thanks to you guys i have been reading a lot about), jesse williams (cmon the aussie) and jenkins if he falls.I love EIfert but OD is not going anywhere as on pace for 900 + yds. Casey will be resigned due to role he successfully fills. For a 3rd TE I like Mike Williams ND 6'5 272 good hands & very good blocker. Lower round than Fiedo. Besides, you don't go BPA when there is a dire need.

steelbtexan
11-16-2012, 09:47 PM
I love EIfert but OD is not going anywhere as on pace for 900 + yds. Casey will be resigned due to role he successfully fills. For a 3rd TE I like Mike Williams ND 6'5 272 good hands & very good blocker. Lower round than Fiedo. Besides, you don't go BPA when there is a dire need.

Agreed

As long as OD is healthy TE is a low priority. IMHO

Give me a guy like Williams or Nick Kasa in td 4-7 over Fiedo in rd 2-3.

Specnatz
11-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I love EIfert but OD is not going anywhere as on pace for 900 + yds. Casey will be resigned due to role he successfully fills. For a 3rd TE I like Mike Williams ND 6'5 272 good hands & very good blocker. Lower round than Fiedo. Besides, you don't go BPA when there is a dire need.

89 Michael Williams, TE
Alabama Crimson Tide

I think is whom you meant.

htownfan32
11-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Can't believe I forgot about Terrance Williams. :vincepalm: And he should be available when we pick first round...
Still, I just don't see us going for that big name WR in the first round. The only time that's ever happened is with AJ, IIRC. Jacoby was what, a third rounder?

Wolf6151
11-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Can't believe I forgot about Terrance Williams. :vincepalm: And he should be available when we pick first round...
Still, I just don't see us going for that big name WR in the first round. The only time that's ever happened is with AJ, IIRC. Jacoby was what, a third rounder?

Yes JJ was a 3rd rounder and Terrance Williams might be available to us in the 2nd, if we do some trading up and get a higher 2nd round pick. There's some good 1st round WR talent next year, quite a few QB prospects, several OT prospects, some really good DT prospects, CB's etc... and all that talent may push Williams to the 2nd round.

welsh texan
11-17-2012, 08:59 AM
However, if we cut A.Smith, W.Smith, or OD for cap room, we get zero compensation.

Interesting that you see these as being 'bad contracts' if they get cut before time, seems like teams use contracts where they have the option to cut the guy early and save money as a tool in writing contracts.

I'd also note that only one of those names has cost us a draft pick and all 3 have played an important role in recent successes.

badboy
11-17-2012, 01:20 PM
89 Michael Williams, TE
Alabama Crimson Tide

I think is whom you meant.Yeah I was reviewing my notes on a new mock with emphasis on second round. I was looking at Eifert's evals and typing notes on lap top. Guess I should pay more attention. Not the first and not the last boo boo. I guarantee it.

Honoring Earl 34
11-17-2012, 04:32 PM
There's a couple of Clemson guys who look good .

badboy
11-17-2012, 04:57 PM
There's a couple of Clemson guys who look good .TBH, I have not followed this team; only two that stick out to me is QB Tajih Boyd who should remain in school and Rashard Hall safety that I mocked last season but lost interest in this one.

76Texan
11-17-2012, 05:36 PM
TBH, I have not followed this team; only two that stick out to me is QB Tajih Boyd who should remain in school and Rashard Hall safety that I mocked last season but lost interest in this one.

Both DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins should have a future in the NFL.

TimeKiller
11-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Well after watching the Jags slice and dice them some Texans D, I've got this:

1 CORNERBACK!!! Can't have enough guys that can cover and McCain just doesn't play up to snuff. More and more the 3rd corner is less of a situational player and is on the field for multiple snaps in a row. Not to mention someone to push KJ further and take reps for resting starters. It makes sense. I wouldn't be totally opposed to getting someone like TJ McDonald and moving Quin to nickel/3rd safety duty since he kinda does that anyway.

2 RG/RT like before, it's hard to knock a line that just helped Matt Schaub into the record books. Still thinkin that right side needs a big boost and the early round is the time to do it.

3 P It was awesome watching the Jags punter boom it 60+ yards down the field every time.

4 WR I think pushing the newly created depth (Jean/Posey/Martin) with another mid round selection would do the trick. In house competition will bring the best out of all involved.

5 DT Takes a slide but I think it's appropriate. I think as long as the position isn't completely snubbed in the draft they'll be ok. Maybe someone like Sonny Harris shows up next year again.

6 RB

7 KICKER Yes I know. Bullock didn't beat out the clown we have now so I'm not sold.

beerlover
11-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Well after watching the Jags slice and dice them some Texans D, I've got this:

1 CORNERBACK!!! Can't have enough guys that can cover and McCain just doesn't play up to snuff. More and more the 3rd corner is less of a situational player and is on the field for multiple snaps in a row. Not to mention someone to push KJ further and take reps for resting starters. It makes sense. I wouldn't be totally opposed to getting someone like TJ McDonald and moving Quin to nickel/3rd safety duty since he kinda does that anyway.

Jonathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State, 6010 186
Texans use Ben Tate to trade up to 17th pick in first round to select a top corner prospect. Used Tates original drafted slot (58th worth 320 points). Kubiak is openly frustrated with Ben & lack of availability, a change of venue my serve him well as I don't think he is happy playing second fiddle to Arian Foster. Now this would give Texans three CB's & maybe they drop Kareem more into nickle as you say McCain leaves via free agency.

2 RG/RT like before, it's hard to knock a line that just helped Matt Schaub into the record books. Still thinkin that right side needs a big boost and the early round is the time to do it.

Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin, 6060 320
See Wagner in similar mold to Eric Winston. Big, smart technically sound could come into camp & win out RT position from Newton who would move back to swing tackle bumping both Butler & Gardner.

3 P It was awesome watching the Jags punter boom it 60+ yards down the field every time.

Ryan Allen, Punter, La Tech, 6020 215
Leads the nation in punting average @ 48.2 per game. Your right special teams need infusion of talent. Texans will be their 5th rd. kicker back next season, Randy Bullock giving Texan kicking game a serious boost.

4 WR I think pushing the newly created depth (Jean/Posey/Martin) with another mid round selection would do the trick. In house competition will bring the best out of all involved.

Connor Vernon, WR, Duke, 6000 200
Excellent route runner & willing blocker. Good possesion type receiver adds depth to roster & more competition.

5 DT Takes a slide but I think it's appropriate. I think as long as the position isn't completely snubbed in the draft they'll be ok. Maybe someone like Sonny Harris shows up next year again.

Dave King, DE/DT, Oklahoma, 6050 286
Houston native, to come into camp & compete with Jamison who is out for season with torn acl, Texans do need to add depth across DL a loss to anyone now would be devastating.

6 RB

Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford, 5-11 215
Plays bigger than he looks, a between the tackles thumper to replace Tate. Smart player with good ball production can be a bell cow, gets stronger with reps. Really impressive & big reason Stanford upset Oregon.

7 KICKER Yes I know. Bullock didn't beat out the clown we have now so I'm not sold.

Bullock will be fine, before aggravating his groin he was dominate early in camp, then began his decline due to injury. Probably bpa for position of need. Hope you didn't mind I mocked you :tiphat:

TimeKiller
11-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Bullock will be fine, before aggravating his groin he was dominate early in camp, then began his decline due to injury. Probably bpa for position of need. Hope you didn't mind I mocked you :tiphat:

I don't think that churning up the foot-ballers on this team is such a bad idea but it seems like Bullock was handed the job and still couldn't do it. With the Texans history I don't totally buy the injury but I suppose he is owed at least one more shot...

I didn't mind at all. You guys are much farther along than I am so now I have some names to go research. Tell you one that would be awesome and I've seen badboy praise him too....Dion Jordan. I think he would be perfect for this D.

badboy
11-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't think that churning up the foot-ballers on this team is such a bad idea but it seems like Bullock was handed the job and still couldn't do it. With the Texans history I don't totally buy the injury but I suppose he is owed at least one more shot...

I didn't mind at all. You guys are much farther along than I am so now I have some names to go research. Tell you one that would be awesome and I've seen badboy praise him too....Dion Jordan. I think he would be perfect for this D.Let me toss you another name I have been watching, Quanteras Smith DE/OLB Western Kentucky. He plays with 3 Amigo mock selection Andrew Jackson. 7.5 sacks 2011 and 12.5 this year. He was suspended for one game "team rule violation" but I cannot find out what. Could be missed a meeting,etc

aussie_texan
11-23-2012, 09:24 PM
i think CB and safety have jumped up the board for me in the last few weeks. both positions have solid starters but consistent competition and pressure is required which i think we lack in these areas.
Behind JJo and K-jax is ball, mccain, harris and carmichael who havnt done anything. McCain hasnt been all bad but we need compeition in this area.

Behind Quinn and Manning is demps and Keo. I like demps i think his a playmaker and keo is an excellent special teamer but i think we need to add in an extra guy here to get the most out of this group.

aussie_texan
11-23-2012, 09:25 PM
at the moment my key areas are
OT, OG, TE, ILB, OLB, NT, CB, S

my reasoning is either depth is not very good, so incase of injury, or the starters need to be upgraded or pushed

beerlover
11-23-2012, 10:50 PM
at the moment my key areas are
OT, OG, TE, ILB, OLB, NT, CB, S

my reasoning is either depth is not very good, so incase of injury, or the starters need to be upgraded or pushed

what about aussie Jesse Williams, NT Alabama? Like a big can of Fosters in the middle of Bud & Miller Light. :beer:

aussie_texan
11-23-2012, 10:59 PM
what about aussie Jesse Williams, NT Alabama? Like a big can of Fosters in the middle of Bud & Miller Light. :beer:

funny no one drinks fosters in australia, you go overseas and its everywhere.
but i like the way you think. williams is a beast of a man and would be a great pick up. im thinking him or nix from ND as first round NTs to look at

steelbtexan
11-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Alot of this depends on things like do they re-sign Walter-Quin-Barwin-McCain?

How well do Mercilus/Barwin play in Reeds place?

Right now I think needs go something like this WR/RT/K/NT/CB/ILB/OLB/S/P.

If Quin leaves, the way the Texans use him S goes to need #1.

aussie_texan
11-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Alot of this depends on things like do they re-sign Walter-Quin-Barwin-McCain?

How well do Mercilus/Barwin play in Reeds place?

Right now I think needs go something like this WR/RT/K/NT/CB/ILB/OLB/S/P.

If Quin leaves, the way the Texans use him S goes to need #1.

i would probably agree with this. i dont see quinn leaving though.
With butler, caldwell, and one of james or dobbins leaving, chuck in maybe mccain plus restructuring and maybe some other moves i think we keep all our key guys.

aussie_texan
11-23-2012, 11:18 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Dead-money-disasters.html?xid=cnnbin

plus 10mil in dead money because of d.ryans will help out.
i have faith in the FO to be able to sign our key guys.
:koolaid:

steelbtexan
11-24-2012, 12:28 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Dead-money-disasters.html?xid=cnnbin

plus 10mil in dead money because of d.ryans will help out.
i have faith in the FO to be able to sign our key guys.
:koolaid:

I also believe Barwin will be fairly easy to re-sign after his lackluster season.

Wolf6151
11-24-2012, 01:19 AM
I see our needs currently as:
1. NT, Cody will be gone in FA and Mitchell is not ready or able to be a full time NT.
2. WR, Jean has had 2 yrs. and done nothing, Posey should be fighting for a roster spot next season, Martin is impressive in the slot at WR#3.
3. OT/OG, Caldwell will be gone and we need better depth/starters at OG. A guy like Ricky Wagner or Dallas Thomas that can do both would be nice.
4. CB, we lose McCain to FA and some CB talent needs to be added.
5. ILB, James or Dobbins leaving and a talent upgrade in depth is needed.
6. DE, Jamison is hurt bad and may not come back. Upgrade the depth quality.
7. P, field position is so important.

I think we lose Caldwell, McCain, Dobbins or James, Cody, and Gardner or Harris. With the freed up dead money and loss/replacement of veteran players we re-sign Barwin and Quin. We might also kick Reed inside to ILB and draft some depth at OLB.

beerlover
11-24-2012, 01:54 AM
I see our needs currently as:
1. NT, Cody will be gone in FA and Mitchell is not ready or able to be a full time NT.
2. WR, Jean has had 2 yrs. and done nothing, Posey should be fighting for a roster spot next season, Martin is impressive in the slot at WR#3.
3. OT/OG, Caldwell will be gone and we need better depth/starters at OG. A guy like Ricky Wagner or Dallas Thomas that can do both would be nice.
4. CB, we lose McCain to FA and some CB talent needs to be added.
5. ILB, James or Dobbins leaving and a talent upgrade in depth is needed.
6. DE, Jamison is hurt bad and may not come back. Upgrade the depth quality.
7. P, field position is so important.

I think we lose Caldwell, McCain, Dobbins or James, Cody, and Gardner or Harris. With the freed up dead money and loss/replacement of veteran players we re-sign Barwin and Quin. We might also kick Reed inside to ILB and draft some depth at OLB.

I could live with that :)

here's how I would look at it, target Nix III start calling around 20 to move up & address NT with a dominant NFL body in the middle. Next round go CB or WR depending on who is there? then OT/ILB with two thirds. That pretty much is meat & potatoes of immediate need aligned with available talent this draft & historical value per positions. Then I would look for a potential great under valued OG in 4th. Depending on which way I went in 2nd go opposite in 5th WR/CB. Probably use some of our own picks to move up in first for Nix so still retain comp picks 6th & 7th netting a RB & Punter. Now that would be more than good that would be awesome :evil: