PDA

View Full Version : Texans Turn Down "Hard Knocks"

False Start
05-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Mark Berman Tweets (https://twitter.com/#!/MarkBermanFox26/status/203204693340598273)

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

The Houston Texans have turned down being on HBO's Hard Knocks

That kind of sucks. I would have loved to see them on the show.

ChampionTexan
05-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Mark Berman Tweets (https://twitter.com/#!/MarkBermanFox26/status/203204693340598273)

That kind of sucks. I would have loved to see them on the show.

Happy about it. Minimize distractions, maximize the ability to concentrate on the task at hand.

Trap_Star
05-17-2012, 03:36 PM
The whole show would of been kubiak telling all the coaches that player:_________ is a good kid.

Lurvinator11
05-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I am somewhat upset but at the same time they don't need that kind of pressure on them going into the biggest season of the franchise.

rush2112mn
05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
I think HBO would rather have the Jets than the Texans....esp with the tebow angle.....

97roc
05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Any team on Hard Knocks win a super bowl?

False Start
05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
I see where y'all are coming from as far as the distractions, good point. I still would like to see some behind the scenes things though.

The Pencil Neck
05-17-2012, 03:56 PM
I think HBO would rather have the Jets than the Texans....esp with the tebow angle.....

The Jets have already turned them down.

EDIT: Upon further review, the Jets might still be in the running.

The Pencil Neck
05-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Any team on Hard Knocks win a super bowl?

I don't think so. And I think a few have crashed and burned...

2001 - Ravens: 10-6 and then lost in the Divisional round
2002 - Cowboys: 5-11
2007 - Chiefs: 4-12
2008 - Cowboys: 9-7, Missed the playoffs
2009 - Bengals: 10-6, Won division but lost in first round
2010 - Jets: 11-5, Lost in Conference Championship game

That's actually a better set of records than I expected.

Texan_Bill
05-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Thank God!! I don't want that circus in town..

badboy
05-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Thank God!! I don't want that circus in town..This.

GP
05-17-2012, 04:17 PM
I applaud the Texans. Smart smart move.

That show gets in players' heads. It just does.

We don't need that junk. We can have the cameras on us after we win the SB. Not right now. In fact, Kubiak should remind those guys every day that none of them have arrived yet. We start at ZERO, just like their off-season mantra was after the playoff loss to Balty.

I keep seeing in my head that clip of Brandon Brooks mauling DL and getting into the second level and mauling LBs (in the Brandon Brooks thread). If that guy makes it here, he's going to cause headaches for defenses. He fits the Kubiak OL perfectly. He fits the ultimate model of what we look for.

Dutchrudder
05-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Part of me would love to see the behind the scenes and all access footage of the team, but the rest of me would prefer they stay focused and make a deep run in the playoffs.

Wolf6151
05-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Thank God!! I don't want that circus in town..

My sentiment exactly.

2slik4u
05-17-2012, 04:31 PM
I am somewhat upset but at the same time they don't need that kind of pressure on them going into the biggest season of the franchise.

Wait a second...I thought last season was the biggest in franchise history???

Or was it the year before that???

No wait, I think it was the year before last...yeah, either that year or the year before that...

2slik4u
05-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Part of me would love to see the behind the scenes and all access footage of the team, but the rest of me would prefer they stay focused and make a deep run in the playoffs.

This.

Im much more interested seeing a different team exposed on camera and then watching them flounder the following season.

Its so much funner that way.

Doppelganger
05-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Good. The Texans are a serious football team with one goal in mind: winning the superbowl. Serious teams like the Steelers, Patriots, and Giants don't do Hard Knocks.

Look who has:
1. Cowboys twice. Jerry Jones is about headlines not winning.
2. Chiefs. They have not done anything to suggest they are focused on being a winning squad.
3. Bengals. Nuff said.
4. Jets. Have good players but are more interested in the lime light than then trenches.
5. Ravens come across more serious than others on the list, but still have diva-ish tendencies.

Like I said, the Steelers, patriots, and Giants don't concern themselves with silly stuff like this. They focus on winning the Superbowl. THAT'S the mindset the Texans need to have as well.

Allstar
05-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Probably a good thing, but I'm disappointed for selfish reasons.

TexanSam
05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
It would have been cool to watch our guys behind the scenes, but I'm sure some players wouldn't have taken football as seriously with all the cameras around.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having our team on the show if we weren't expected to be contenders going into the season. If we were a decent football team but still rebuilding, like the Panthers or Cardinals for example, then I think it would be alright. But when you're expected to compete for a Super Bowl, then the team should try to minimize the distractions.

Thorn
05-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Couldn't have said it any better than that.

Jackie Chiles
05-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Does this mean we were straight up offered the gig and turned them down or were we among a group of teams they were considering and we took ourselves out of the race?

Rey
05-17-2012, 05:36 PM
This might be a big screw you to the commissioner.

Seems a few teams have turned down hard knocks. I'm thinking this is partly due to bounty gate.

Shanahan said he couldn't be himself and other coaches couldn't either.

It was a behind the scenes documentary that exposed Gregg Williams infamous "kill the head and the body will die" speech.

I'm thinking coaches just don't want to have any stuff come out like that.

If I'm not mistaken the texans were open to hard knocks coming in a few years ago.

Kimmy
05-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Bummer. I would've liked to have seen that

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

TimeKiller
05-17-2012, 05:59 PM
A lot of talk about minimizing distraction. Damn sure would've been a statement about expectations, however, I won't argue the call since it is such a big year. Idk, I guess it's a little hypocritical to appreciate the Texans' professional attitude towards everything including the media but....the rampant fan in me would love to see them grab a few headlines.

Yankee_In_TX
05-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Jets already said no (I know, I was shocked, too).

Am I making this up? We turned down Hard Knocks. A few years later we want it but cannot get it. Now we turn it down again?

drs23
05-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Good. The Texans are a serious football team with one goal in mind: winning the superbowl. Serious teams like the Steelers, Patriots, and Giants don't do Hard Knocks.

True but Belichick did do that show, I forget right now the name, 'Behind the scenes' or something to that effect. I was very surprised to see him do that even.

False Start
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM
This might be a big screw you to the commissioner.

Seems a few teams have turned down hard knocks. I'm thinking this is partly due to bounty gate.

Shanahan said he couldn't be himself and other coaches couldn't either.

It was a behind the scenes documentary that exposed Gregg Williams infamous "kill the head and the body will die" speech.

I'm thinking coaches just don't want to have any stuff come out like that.

If I'm not mistaken the texans were open to hard knocks coming in a few years ago.

Yeah, they were. (http://www.chron.com/default/article/Texans-lobbying-to-star-in-HBO-series-Hard-Knocks-1708946.php)

SCOTTexans
05-17-2012, 06:08 PM

I'm like this, but the bigger part of me would like to see them. Even though I don't have HBO

ThaShark316
05-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Hard Knocks was about to stop us from winning the AFC tho? http://imageshack.us/a/img29/8397/qpbqw.png

That ****'s already going to happen, so...

Double Barrel
05-17-2012, 07:04 PM

Sums up my feelings, as well.

But, it ultimately saves me some money, because if my team was on it, I'd have to subscribe to HBO to see the circus.

True but Belichick did do that show, I forget right now the name, 'Behind the scenes' or something to that effect. I was very surprised to see him do that even.

A Football Life (http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/09000d5d821d0244/Bill-Belichick-A-Football-Life)

I really enjoyed all the episodes of that series.

Playoffs
05-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Hard Knocks is in deep trouble if they're already all the way down the list to the Texans.

Fili
05-17-2012, 08:29 PM
We don't need it... It'll be a distraction which good teams don't need.

drs23
05-17-2012, 08:30 PM
A Football Life (http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/09000d5d821d0244/Bill-Belichick-A-Football-Life)

I really enjoyed all the episodes of that series.

Yes sir, that's it. I enjoyed it as well. I think I'd have a bigger boat but then, hell, he drove what? A Taurus?

ThaShark316
05-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Hard Knocks is in deep trouble if they're already all the way down the list to the Texans.

You don't believe that.

Lucky
05-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Too bad. Foster. Cody. Barwin. Cushing. There's some interesting personalities on this team. Wade, Kollar, and Coach Joe would've been fun. Sure, there's some blandness (cough Kubiak cough). But I think it could've been a good show.

And I think the notion of it being a distraction is overblown. Oh well, at least we have the scintillating coverage of the Texans by that HOF reporter, John McClain.

Texecutioner
05-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Glad they turned it down. No need for the circus.

beerlover
05-18-2012, 02:54 AM
Its good marketing to promote your product. Texans have nothing to worry about or feel intrepid. It's a quality organization with great people I think fans across the nation would find refreshing.

I'm sick & tired of Jones Cowboys along with Ryans Jets. I'm not alone, I'll bet a lot of people want some new blood, inspiring personas & a how to do things right mentality. Should consider your players too who could use some much needed exposure to springboard into the national limelight, while helping form alliances & business partners to supplement their salary's. Arian Foster has Superstar written all over him, people just need to see how special a person he is off the field (just one example). I'm also greedy & drink myself silly if the price is right :drunk:

The Pencil Neck
05-18-2012, 03:11 AM
My initial feeling was: Thank God, we don't need that sort of distraction.

But after seeing the records of teams who've taken part in this and considering how this could possibly bring more fans into the fold, I'm a little let down that they're not doing it. I'd love to get more information about my team and I think that a lot of people would become fans if they got to see some of our players and learn about who they are.

I'd thought many more than 2/6 teams had bombed out. I didn't realize 4/6 had finished with winning records and 3 of those 4 had made it to the playoffs.

paycheck71
05-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Love the show. But I agree with the sentiment here that we don't need it to be a distraction in the camp. Still hope someone does it.

axman40
05-18-2012, 11:35 AM
No need to show Schaub's recovery.
:tiphat:

ckhouston
05-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Team is being smart. No reality TV crap ... just go get the ring.

Playoffs
05-18-2012, 12:02 PM
You don't believe that.I do. I love me some Coach Kubes, but he's a total snooze. Schaub? Zzzzzz. Rick Smith? Tells you nothing. Even Wade just ain't all that "movie star."

I don't want them making fun of my boys because they're not http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/emot-airquote.gifHollywood. I don't want my boys posing, or being distracted. Win a SB, then you can goof.

Leave HN to RexJets & the Foot Fetishers. http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/priestfan323/foot.gif

ckhouston
05-18-2012, 12:18 PM
I do. I love me some Coach Kubes, but he's a total snooze. Schaub? Zzzzzz. Rick Smith? Tells you nothing. Even Wade just ain't all that "movie star."

I don't want them making fun of my boys because they're not http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/emot-airquote.gifHollywood. I don't want my boys posing, or being distracted. Win a SB, then you can goof.

Leave HN to RexJets & the Foot Fetishers. http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/priestfan323/foot.gif

I'm glad we arent doing it, but Cushing, Barwin, Cody, Foster, etc would make for interesting TV. I wonder how many camp fights Cush actually gets into? If the over/under is three, I'll take the over.

False Start
05-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Even Wade just ain't all that "movie star."

He aint no movie star, but he is a "Rock Star." :littlelol:

Texan_Bill
05-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Hard Knocks should rotate every 3rd year with the Begals, Jets and Cowboys.

You know the train wreck teams. :kitten:

2012Champs
05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
If it is such a distraction to your team that it impacts your ability to win then it means your team lacks professionalism. This should have no impact on your ability to train, prep and play on sunday.

ckhouston
05-18-2012, 02:11 PM
If it is such a distraction to your team that it impacts your ability to win then it means your team lacks professionalism. This should have no impact on your ability to train, prep and play on sunday.

OK ... I call Bull****!

Having cameras in your face monitoring your every move shouldn't distract you and if it does you arent professional? C'mon man!

2012Champs
05-18-2012, 02:17 PM
OK ... I call Bull****!

Having cameras in your face monitoring your every move shouldn't distract you and if it does you arent professional? C'mon man!

Well maybe in your normal jobs pushing pens like I do it might be an issue. For a professional sports team where media is always a part of the game if you cant handle hardknocks then no IMO your arent professional

call bull**** all you want my opinion doesnt change because of it

ckhouston
05-18-2012, 02:35 PM
For a professional sports team where media is always a part of the game if you cant handle hardknocks then no IMO your arent professional

To me its completely different.

Having a few reporters around during camp or practice is one thing, have a full scale production crew onsite to film a documentary television show is another.

The players experience a sample of what it is like on game day itself, but besides that do not have to deal with the high volume of personnel and equipment it requires to produce a television show.

If that camera is there, it will make you think twice about what you do, what you say, or how you may react to something. Teams getting ready to go on a SB run do not need to be bridled in that manner. They need to be building the raw emotion and desire needed to go out and destroy their opponents ... and the constant scrutiny would be detrimental to that. IMHO.

2012Champs
05-18-2012, 02:53 PM
To me its completely different.

Having a few reporters around during camp or practice is one thing, have a full scale production crew onsite to film a documentary television show is another.

The players experience a sample of what it is like on game day itself, but besides that do not have to deal with the high volume of personnel and equipment it requires to produce a television show.

If that camera is there, it will make you think twice about what you do, what you say, or how you may react to something. Teams getting ready to go on a SB run do not need to be bridled in that manner. They need to be building the raw emotion and desire needed to go out and destroy their opponents ... and the constant scrutiny would be detrimental to that. IMHO.

Again to me it comes down to professionalism. Im going to run my plays, take my snaps, run my drills etc without looking around for the camera to smile at. Its not going to change my team meetings prep or participation, my weight lifting etc. It shouldnt impact your results on the field

Marcus
05-18-2012, 03:58 PM

What are you? A robot?

2012Champs
05-18-2012, 04:23 PM
What are you? A robot?

Yes pretty much. More so if I am getting paid millions to carry out a job.

paycheck71
05-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Yes pretty much. More so if I am getting paid millions to carry out a job.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think you're being too harsh and have unrealistic expectations. You're talking about mostly young single men. Some of them will have great work ethic, some of them will not. It's up to the coaches to get the most out of each player. Having cameras in your face and then having the show on TV while you're still in training camp WILL be a distraction, no matter how professional you are.

2012Champs
05-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think you're being too harsh and have unrealistic expectations. You're talking about mostly young single men. Some of them will have great work ethic, some of them will not. It's up to the coaches to get the most out of each player. Having cameras in your face and then having the show on TV while you're still in training camp WILL be a distraction, no matter how professional you are.

You're right it's not just the players but also the coaches thats why I said team, not players when I said your team isn't professional enough if this keeps you from winning on sundays

Double Barrel
05-18-2012, 06:27 PM
An NFL source said that for the second consecutive year interest was expressed in having the Vikings be part of a show that has become very popular but is seen as being far too intrusive by many organizations.

"Hard Knocks" is a multi-show series that not only features up-close looks at training camp practices but also takes viewers behind the scenes, showing team meetings and even players being cut.

Source (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_decline_opportunity_to_be_featured_on_HBOs _Hard_Knocks051712)

Owner Woody Johnson wisely listened to Rex Ryan and his football people, deciding that no amount of free publicity was worth the distraction of having NFL Films cameras imbedded in their training camp for the second time in three summers.

Source (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12402/jets-make-a-smart-call-no-hard-knocks)

I find it hard to believe that all 32 teams are "not professional" enough to want film crews in their meeting rooms, coaches offices while players are cut, and anywhere else they want to film.

2012Champs
05-18-2012, 06:40 PM
I find it hard to believe that all 32 teams are "not professional" enough to want film crews in their meeting rooms, coaches offices while players are cut, and anywhere else they want to film.

I do too. That's why I dont believe it being a distraction is the reason rather an excuse for saying no.

Double Barrel
05-18-2012, 07:09 PM
I do too. That's why I dont believe it being a distraction is the reason rather an excuse for saying no.

Yeah, I checked out a bunch of angles to see if any NFL teams actually used the words "distraction" or something similar, and the above two stories are as close as I could get. Most of the "distraction chatter" has come from fans and media sources.

Obviously, NFL teams are not going to dog an NFL product too much. They probably circle the wagons on stuff like this by directive of the league office.

It might be a situation where it's as simple as the cameras could distract a head coach and he says no, regardless if the team could handle it or not. I could see Kubiak being this way. Many of our players are very visible and media savvy, so I don't see cameras distracting guys like Foster, Cushing, Barwin, etc.

I was surprised that Bill Belicheck let cameras film so much for A Football Life. Heck, if the hoodie could allow such a "distraction", I imagine just about any team could probably handle it. These film crews are working for NFL Films, so it's not like they have not been around football teams before.

Rey
05-19-2012, 11:07 AM
A few years ago the organization was open to hard knocks. I can't see them not thinking it was a distraction then and all of a sudden thinking it's a distraction now.

I don't think any of it has to do with a distraction.

I think teams are now weary about "outsiders" being allowed into their back offices.

There has been a lot of scrutiny towards the game of football in general. The violence. The hits. The head trauma.

Coaches say all kind of stuff on the football field. The last thing you want to have to do is walk on egg shells because you're worried about something you might say. There is a heightened sensitivity right now in regards to player safety and the integrity if the game.

2012Champs
05-19-2012, 11:19 AM
A few years ago the organization was open to hard knocks. I can't see them not thinking it was a distraction then and all of a sudden thinking it's a distraction now.

I think teams are now weary about "outsiders" being allowed into their back offices.

There has been a lot of scrutiny towards the game of football in general. The violence. The hits. The head trauma.

Coaches say all kind of stuff on the football field. The last thing you want to have to do is walk on egg shells because you're worried about something you might say. There is a heightened sensitivity right now in regards to player safety and the integrity if the game.

I think you've nailed it

nero THE zero
05-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Something's gone on to cause the Texans to be more guarded. They've also issued directives to the media that severely restricts their coverage; disallowing reports of various facets of OTA's, including who's running with first and second team. That doesn't really speak to what you're suggesting, so it's either two separate issues or something other than the "insider" issue you're suggesting.

I won't speculate on what it is.

TheMatrix31
05-19-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm very happy we turned it down.

Rey
05-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Something's gone on to cause the Texans to be more guarded. They've also issued directives to the media that severely restricts their coverage; disallowing reports of various facets of OTA's, including who's running with first and second team. That doesn't really speak to what you're suggesting, so it's either two separate issues or something other than the "insider" issue you're suggesting.

I won't speculate on what it is.

Or they could just be scaling back on what they allow to be seen by media period. Not really sure what you're saying here.

Doesn't have to be two separate issues. Cutting back on exposure is cutting back on exposure.

Anyways I don't Know why they refused. I'm just guessing like everyone else just based off of what I've heard.

Rey
05-20-2012, 05:55 AM
I'm very happy we turned it down.

At first I didn't really care, but thinking about it I'm a little disappointed. Would have been awesome to see and I'm always talking about the team with people I know that aren't huge fans. Wouldve been nice if they could get an inside look and become more familiar with the team I root for.

It's almost like being proud of and showing your house off to family and friends.

Except with the added bonus that you'll see stuff you've never seen either.

Silly analogy i know, but my eyes wouldve been glued to every single episode.

Kaiser Toro
05-20-2012, 08:06 AM
When you have too many kids on the team and questionable leadership at the top it makes for an easy decision. However, Kubiak could always turn his back to the TV.

I guess we are hiding our secret formula since World Champions are made here and success starts now.

At the end of year, I would like to know who made the decision.

infantrycak
05-20-2012, 04:04 PM
At the end of year, I would like to know who made the decision.

I would bet this was discussed by McNair, Smith and Kubiak with the ultimate decision being to go with Kubiak's inclination not to appear.

Marcus
05-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm also very happy that they turned it down.

I'm a firm believer in Occam's Razor, and Mr. Occam says it would have been a distraction.

Kaiser Toro
05-20-2012, 11:31 PM
I would bet this was discussed by McNair, Smith and Kubiak with the ultimate decision being to go with Kubiak's inclination not to appear.

Yes, no doubt. Should have been asking why, rather than who.

ObsiWan
05-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Well maybe in your normal jobs pushing pens like I do it might be an issue. For a professional sports team where media is always a part of the game if you cant handle hardknocks then no IMO your arent professional

call bull**** all you want my opinion doesnt change because of it

Ask judges who don't want cameras in the courtrooms if those A-holes aren't a major distraction and result in extra theatrics. Playing to an audience (jury and judge) is part of a lawyer's stock and trade; but having cameras around just makes it an unnecessary circus.

Ask the Patriots or the Giants - two major market teams I might add - if they want those bozos in their locker rooms...

Let 'em go to Tennessee or Jacksonville or Indy... Stay away from here.

Naaaah... I have a philosophical distaste for "reality tv" in general and I sure as hell don't want those idiots contaminating my team.

Double Barrel
05-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Ask the Patriots or the Giants - two major market teams I might add - if they want those bozos in their locker rooms...

Bill Belichick: A Football Life (http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/09000d5d821d0244/Bill-Belichick-A-Football-Life) - "an intimate look at Patriots coach Bill Belichick, the first person ever wired for an entire season by NFL Films."

They showed aspects of football operations with the Patriots that surprised me, including strategy meetings with Tom Brady in Belichick's office. Very cool documentary.

BTW, this was the season that the Texans beat the Patriots in week 17 to get our first winning record. Contrary to local urban legend, the Patriots were not going all out to win it. They were clearly looking past this game toward the playoffs.

2012Champs
05-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Ask judges who don't want cameras in the courtrooms if those A-holes aren't a major distraction and result in extra theatrics. Playing to an audience (jury and judge) is part of a lawyer's stock and trade; but having cameras around just makes it an unnecessary circus.

Naaaah... I have a philosophical distaste for "reality tv" in general and I sure as hell don't want those idiots contaminating my team.

Is it the norm for judges or attorneys to have camera's on them while they are working? Nope. Football players? Much more so. I think excuse of being a distraction is just that, an excuse for their real reason for turning it down. Increased scrutiny by the nfl and the public and what information an insider could record is a much better reason to lock this idea out vs it's too big of a distraction

drs23
05-21-2012, 09:09 PM

Ob, I agree with what you stated in it's entirety but the selfish part of me says:
"Damn, I'd sure like to see the behind the scenes everyday workings and how the team does bidness on an every day level.

Again, just me being selfish.

Playoffs
05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Lost in the shuffle of most noteworthy teams rushing for the exits on Hard Knocks,

Is Jerruh Jones over in the corner jumping up and down screaming, "What about me? What about me! I'll do it!"

painekiller
05-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Herm Edwards was on ESPN yesterday when the story came up about how many teams had turned down Hard Knocks, and he said it was the worse thing that ever happened to him while at the Chiefs. He was very against it going forward and he recommended that no team allow this show into their camps.

He said the Chiefs received no benefits from the show.

The Pencil Neck
05-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Herm Edwards was on ESPN yesterday when the story came up about how many teams had turned down Hard Knocks, and he said it was the worse thing that ever happened to him while at the Chiefs. He was very against it going forward and he recommended that no team allow this show into their camps.

He said the Chiefs received no benefits from the show.

That was before their 4-12 season. Of course he's got a bad taste from it.

Other teams have handled it better.

ObsiWan
05-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Bill Belichick: A Football Life (http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/09000d5d821d0244/Bill-Belichick-A-Football-Life) - "an intimate look at Patriots coach Bill Belichick, the first person ever wired for an entire season by NFL Films."

They showed aspects of football operations with the Patriots that surprised me, including strategy meetings with Tom Brady in Belichick's office. Very cool documentary.

BTW, this was the season that the Texans beat the Patriots in week 17 to get our first winning record. Contrary to local urban legend, the Patriots were not going all out to win it. They were clearly looking past this game toward the playoffs.

If they could produce the show in that form instead of the circus that hard knocks was when they featured the Bengals, Jets, and Cowboys I'd probably have a different viewpoint.

Lucky
05-25-2012, 08:36 PM
If they could produce the show in that form instead of the circus that hard knocks was when they featured the Bengals, Jets, and Cowboys I'd probably have a different viewpoint.
Hard Knocks is edited on the fly, airing events that happened a week or less prior. A Football Life was shot during the '09 season and aired in 2011. Just a totally different production.

Why do teams even get a choice regarding Hard Knocks? No team really wants to play in the HOF game. But each year, two teams have to show up in Canton. Flying to London benefits no individual team. But, two teams are tabbed to make the transatlantic flight during the middle of the season. The NFL should just tell a team "You're it", and be done with it.