PDA

View Full Version : Barwin like Mercilus pick

badboy
05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Know this is fluff but posting anyway. Conner on 610 with Vandermeer saying he thinks Whitney will improve the rotation for him and Reed and "there were times last season when we needed that. Keeping fresh will be good". Said he saw him yesterday for first time and he is shape. He will play the Will behind Conner at first and just learning the plays.

Rey
05-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Going to be playing will behind Connor? :thinking:

badboy
05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Bryan Brahman helmet less hit was first on video that Brady James was shown when introduced to LB corps. Says D Brown is one of best and under rated LT. He mixes both finesse and power in protecting QB.

badboy
05-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Bulls on Parade was suggestion from a Twitter request he made. Solidified when Wade started using it. Made joke about using a Prius at his size "$40/week" gas. Said players quit harassing him. Defense adapted to new defense as players were extremely confident in plays called by coaches. Kohler and other defensive coaches worked well together even though Kohler was a screamer and other were calm.

badboy
05-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Suggests that more new plays on defense should be expected with entire off season to learn. Compliments J Joseph as Shutdown corner. Demeco gone "You just let leadership flow rather than try to name someone".

The end.

TimeKiller
05-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Even though you might point to Cushing, Watt, Joseph, maybe Manning and Smith too as better players...Barwin may well take over the leadership spot. He seems to be in tune with his teammates/coaches as well as being accessible to fans. Like how Cody or Winston weren't the best players but had a great relationship through the media to the fans.

badboy
05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Oops Barwin hung around and said TC is basically 6:30 to 9 pm every day and he will take vacation (one week) after, then get tuned for season.

michaelm
05-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Even though you might point to Cushing, Watt, Joseph, maybe Manning and Smith too as better players...Barwin may well take over the leadership spot. He seems to be in tune with his teammates/coaches as well as being accessible to fans. Like how Cody or Winston weren't the best players but had a great relationship through the media to the fans.

Cody and Winston have good relationships with the fans and media, but neither is really a team leader.

Rey
05-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Cody and Winston have good relationships with the fans and media, but neither is really a team leader.

Exactly.

I look for Cushing to take that role with a sprinkle of Watt and Antonio in there.

badboy
05-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Exactly.

I look for Cushing to take that role with a sprinkle of Watt and Antonio in there.Could be wrong but I see Smith and Cush as more vocal leaders and Watt as an AJ type. Leading by example and both types are cool with me.

Rey
05-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Earlier in the program Marciano said to watch out for Eddie pleasant. Called him a missile on special teams. (Shiloh keo competition?)

He said trindon is going to be expected to cover kicks. LoL. That should be fun to watch.

He also mentioned loiseau as a guy to watch on special teams.

badboy
05-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Earlier in the program Marciano said to watch out for Eddie pleasant. Called him a middle on special teams. (Shiloh keo competition?)

He said trindon is going to be expected to cover kicks. LoL. That should be fun to watch.

He also mentioned loiseau as a guy to watch on special teams.Yeah, I missed Marciano segment but the comment on Pleasant but was brought up later. I could see some UDFAs making team.

TimeKiller
05-15-2012, 04:53 PM

I beg to differ. There is unquestionably a pecking order but to say Cody has no place within the locker room is a wild accusation to me. Or the most tenured offensive player who would actually discuss something in depth.

michaelm
05-15-2012, 10:47 PM
I beg to differ. There is unquestionably a pecking order but to say Cody has no place within the locker room is a wild accusation to me. Or the most tenured offensive player who would actually discuss something in depth.

I'm confused as to whether you are responding to me or another poster. I never said Cody didn't have a place within the locker room. I said he isn't really a team leader. He's apparently well liked by fans and media, and I'm sure he is respected in the locker room, but I can't recall him ever doing anything that indicated that he is a a team leader, at least to me.

TimeKiller
05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm confused as to whether you are responding to me or another poster. I never said Cody didn't have a place within the locker room. I said he isn't really a team leader. He's apparently well liked by fans and media, and I'm sure he is respected in the locker room, but I can't recall him ever doing anything that indicated that he is a a team leader, at least to me.

Well liked by fans and media, respected in the locker room, leaves it on the field...

I suppose our definition of leadership is different.

Rey
05-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Well liked by fans and media, respected in the locker room, leaves it on the field...

I suppose our definition of leadership is different.

A lot of guys fit that definition of leadership. Almost the whole team would fit that bill.

I think when we are talking about leadership in this instance we are talking about all that plus extraordinary performance on the field. The attitude they play with is apparent. The team feeds off of them come game time. They make big plays and others follow suit.

I don't think Cody fits that bill.

Goldensilence
05-16-2012, 10:56 AM
I think the moment he's arrived on this team it's pretty evident he's become the leader on the field, it's Cushing by far.

I think other players feed off him the way the defense in Baltimore feeds off Ray Lewis' intensity. Moving forward he's the center piece for this defense.

welsh texan
05-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Going to be playing will behind Connor? :thinking:

Seems like Reed played Will behind Mario to start last season, then when Mario went down thats where he slotted in at first, before Wade changed it over. Possibly a coaching philosophy for his rookies?

beerlover
05-16-2012, 11:20 AM
The Texan defense fits together each taking turns in leadership roles complimenting players strengths. Doesn't matter who starts, what matters is number of reps which is measured off on field performance. Leadership comes from Wade Phillips & within each group, DL (Smith) LB (Cushing) & DB (Joseph) players who execute groups roles. Barwin will be a marked man this season but is more confident, stronger & healthier than ever. He said his speed & quickness comes from his basketball background. Mercilus background comes from Soccer, so Whitney will receive a lot of one on one with Reggie Herring, LB coach & Connor Barwin to help him improve his hand placement/work. :slapfight:

TimeKiller
05-16-2012, 11:37 AM
A lot of guys fit that definition of leadership. Almost the whole team would fit that bill.
Sure and that's completely by design. Leadership doesn't imply the guy at the front, doesn't to me anyway.

I think when we are talking about leadership in this instance we are talking about all that plus extraordinary performance on the field. The attitude they play with is apparent. The team feeds off of them come game time. They make big plays and others follow suit.

I don't think Cody fits that bill.

I don't believe on field performance can certainly be the result of hard work but you need guys to work hard regardless of result. You need guys to keep pushing, keep it loose, keep everyone honest at all times. That's Cody, you want extraordinary on field performance you probably hired the wrong guy lol...

The Texan defense fits together each taking turns in leadership roles complimenting players strengths. Doesn't matter who starts, what matters is number of reps which is measured off on field performance.

Exactly. Funny how they all play a part, yet to a man they say leadership is not handed out or taken. Organically, they all seem to step up together even while former leaders are being taken out.

Rey
05-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Sure and that's completely by design. Leadership doesn't imply the guy at the front, doesn't to me anyway.

I don't believe on field performance can certainly be the result of hard work but you need guys to work hard regardless of result. You need guys to keep pushing, keep it loose, keep everyone honest at all times. That's Cody, you want extraordinary on field performance you probably hired the wrong guy lol...

Exactly. Funny how they all play a part, yet to a man they say leadership is not handed out or taken. Organically, they all seem to step up together even while former leaders are being taken out.

I'm not saying Cody doesn't serve a purpose. And my point was that in some regards most of the team plays leader at one point or another.

But if youve ever been a part if any team sport or activity, from pick up game at the park to a team project at work, there is almost always a person or people that become leaders of the group. Either by default or because they earn it.

I'm talking about a leader of leaders. That's what Demeco was. Thats what dre and schaub are. That's the position that's now open on defense. Seems like most people think Cushing is the man to take that job. I agree with that, but we'll see.

TejasTom
05-17-2012, 12:08 AM
... Seems like most people think Cushing is the man to take that job. I agree with that, but we'll see.

Captain Cush (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Notes-Captain-Cush-Demps-redemption/69ca3184-a2ea-4127-a0f2-4eefde42169b)

The team certainly does.

From 11-6-2011
Cushing captaincy
Linebacker Brian Cushing led the Texans in tackles, again, with seven. He also wore a captain’s ‘C’ on his jersey Sunday for the first time in his NFL career. Head coach Gary Kubiak liked what he saw from Cushing, as he has all season long, and described why the third-year player earned the leadership position.

“We voted a few more captains at the midway point,” Kubiak said. “We did it off of respect to how you’re playing, and for offense, defense and special teams and Cush was a unanimous pick on the defensive side of the ball. That’s what the guys think of him and he’s bringing it every week.”

Cushing said he was surprised when he found out on Wednesday from Kubiak.
“I’m kind of a guy that I’m open-minded, I don’t really predetermine things and I just let them play out,” Cushing said. “But when he told me that and told me I was elected as a captain, like I said, I was just overwhelmed and very honored.”

If you want to listen to Barwin on Texans All Access here is the mp3 (http://cbshouston.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/connorbarwin-0515121.mp3)

edo783
05-17-2012, 11:45 PM
They were all afraid that he would head butt them if they didn't.

False Start
05-19-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm talking about a leader of leaders. That's what Demeco was. Thats what dre and schaub are. That's the position that's now open on defense. Seems like most people think Cushing is the man to take that job. I agree with that, but we'll see.

Agree on this.

Demeco was the "heart and soul" of the defense. Someone needs to step up and take that role. I could see it being Cush, or maybe in a year or two JJ Watt.

I give Jonathan Joseph a lot of credit too. He came in last year and fit right in. I could also see him as someone that may step up.

The Pencil Neck
05-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Agree on this.

Demeco was the "heart and soul" of the defense. Someone needs to step up and take that role. I could see it being Cush, or maybe in a year or two JJ Watt.

I give Jonathan Joseph a lot of credit too. He came in last year and fit right in. I could also see him as someone that may step up.

I think JJo has already asserted himself as the leader of the secondary.