PDA

View Full Version : Joppru Hurt Again!!

TEXANS84
05-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Friday the 13th passed without incident, but tight end Bennie Joppru's run of bad luck reared its head again just three days later.

Joppru went down Monday during the Texans' first coaching session of 2005. The former second-round pick made a cut on a pass route during a non-contact drill and was helped off the field by the training staff.

"I've seen Bennie out here during our off-season work over the past two months running the same kind of routes," head coach Dom Capers said. "It's just one of those things. He planted his foot to make a cut and the next thing I know he went down. We'll not jump to any conclusions. We'll wait to see what the doctor's diagnosis is and go from there."

Joppru, the 41st overall selection in the 2003 draft, has spent the past two seasons on injured reserve with a groin injury.

"He's probably over the last three years had as tough a luck as anybody. But that's part of this game. It's just unfortunate."

LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1688)

Texizgreat
05-16-2005, 12:48 PM
What does the TE market look like at this Point? :bomb:

Blake
05-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Lets wait to hear what the doctors say. But this is something I did not want to talk about.

D-ReK
05-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Wow, just wow :brickwall ...

Hervoyel
05-16-2005, 12:51 PM
IMO Enough. I just don't see any point in continuing this. Assuming of course that we're talking about an injury similar in scope to what he's dealt with over the past two years.

If it's a "stubbed toe" or something minor then that's entirely different. If he's done something major though I say this has gone on long enough.

Nawzer
05-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Wow! I won't say it's all over for Bennie but we sure could've used him. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and wait and see what happens, but if he's out again it's a definite blow to our offense.

Hottoddie
05-16-2005, 12:59 PM
What does the TE market look like at this Point? :bomb:

Bubba Franks is still out there. :deadhorse

THEFUTURE
05-16-2005, 12:59 PM
its only a sprain, please let it only be a sprain, you think we feel bad as fans that joppru is hurt, think about how bad Bennie feels right now, and has been feeling, this has to be 10 times harder for him than anyone of us, the guy is a football player, and would be a solid one, he just cant seem to get past this problem

LikeABoss
05-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Bubba Franks is still out there. :deadhorse

WWJD
05-16-2005, 01:19 PM
He seems to have chronic injury problems. Too bad.

nunusguy
05-16-2005, 01:23 PM
"helped off the field by the training staff."
That is not the least bit encouraging. Guys can often limp off the field under their own power with a minor type leg injury. How much bad fortune does one guy have to have before he catchs a stretch of good luck ?

gtexan02
05-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Honestly, if he can hurt himself out of 2 seasons and then do it again on his first practice back, how could he possibly withstand any hits in the nfl? one tackle and he'd shatter like the people in those gatorade commercials. this is ridiculous, lets move on.

Porky
05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Charley Casserly's to do list - May 16th, 2005:

8:00 am - Drop off laundry at cleaners
8:30 - Monster Truck Rally on SpikeTV
9:00 - Surf the web for scantily clad females
11:00 - Play Everquest, and try to level up one
noon - Lunch with Shaune Bagwell. Make request to see advertising
1:30 - Watch TIVO'd version of Desperate Housewives
3:00 - Tony Danza. What else?
4:00 - Challenge David Carr to a duel of "running around in circles" as fast as you can to perpare for the upcoming season
4:30 - Nap
5:00 - go home

New Item for to do list April 22nd, 2006: Get a friggin TE who isn't old, can't block, or doesn't get injured everytime he plays tiddly winks.
:goodnight :crying:

gwallaia
05-16-2005, 01:59 PM
At least he was'nt popping a wheelie on a motorcycle when the injury happened.

Lucky
05-16-2005, 02:07 PM
UFA Tight Ends (Franks is a transition tag FA):
Ken Dilger
Cameron Cleeland
Jay Riemersma
Rickey Dudley

I have no preference. But the Texans need a body at the position. Before you jump on the Texans for not drafting a TE, remember that this was considered an unusually weak TE class. Only 10 TEs were selected, the lowest total since 1980.

titan hater
05-16-2005, 02:10 PM
What type of sprain is it? Groin, Knee, Hammy,...? :goodnight

texansfan1974
05-16-2005, 02:18 PM
ALLS I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT BENNIE FLOPPRUS INJURY IS DOH!!!!!:homer:

Joe Texan
05-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Little more sucurity for Billy Miller, The tight end with the most touchdown catches in the tight end corps for the texans.

nunusguy
05-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Before you jump on the Texans for not drafting a TE, remember that this was considered an unusually weak TE class. Only 10 TEs were selected, the lowest total since 1980.
Right, but are their really 10 teams that have more issues and uncertainty at
TE than us ? I doubt it.
I dunno...this is the thing that bothers about some of the decisions that Cass
makes - I think over the long term PB is a wise move to replace Glenn, but Glenn probably had another year or two of mileage left. Instead of picking up
PB (or someone like him right now), keep Glenn and use that 2 and 3 this year to get a TE and a top tier center/guard out of the Draft instead of taking only one OL draft pick including TE and that is just a second day pick
at that.

throwANDREtheBALL
05-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Why don't we wait for the June 1 cuts..............maybe we'll get lucky ?

And this wouldn't have been such a big deal if we'd signed an all-around tight-end instead of Mark "over the hill" Bruener. What was Casserly thinking ?

He had no way of seeing how injury prone Joppru would be, but, he did know that Bruener couldn't catch..........so what was he thinking ? Why didn't we get a TE that could block and CATCH when we had the chance ?

OH BROTHER!

LikeABoss
05-16-2005, 02:35 PM
I know Bubba Franks is in the transition phase, but isn't Green Bay in some kind of salary cap problem? Javon Walker is holding out because he wants a new deal, but didn't Green Bay had to release a good core of veteran players to get under the cap? If we make an offer for Franks, Green Bay probably wouldn't match it, and we wouldn't have to give up any picks because he is not a restricted free agent.

titan hater
05-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Right, but are their really 10 teams that have more issues and uncertainty at
TE than us ? I doubt it.
I dunno...this is the thing that bothers about some of the decisions that Cass
makes - I think over the long term PB is a wise move to replace Glenn, but Glenn probably had another year or two of mileage left. Instead of picking up
PB (or someone like him right now), keep Glenn and use that 2 and 3 this year to get a TE and a top tier center/guard out of the Draft instead of taking only one OL draft pick including TE and that is just a second day pick
at that.

Good point...What TE would you have picked up? What Guard / Center?

SESupergenius
05-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Get use to the "unfortunate events" because they could not have been "forseen". It's going to be a looooooonnnnnggggg season.

nunusguy
05-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Good point...What TE would you have picked up? What Guard / Center?
Somebody like Bass or another elite center/guard in the 2nd round. A guy like Bass is just not a long term replacement for McKinney or Weigert, he is atleast a near term upgrade for McKinney. The 5 th rounder we got is a backup.As far as TEs, I think that 2 or 3 were taking in the 3rd round. I mean this whole thing about Carr's effectiveness and well, health, is predicated on solidifying the TE position as well as the interior of the OL. And as Carr goes, hey, so goes the entire offense.

jacquescas
05-16-2005, 03:11 PM
in the 6th round when we picked S Ceandris Brown, we could have easily selected TE Joel Dreessen who was still on the board at that time.

6'4", 260, 4.69 in the 40.

Strengths: Has adequate size and above average speed. Is a tough, competitive and experienced player. Is instinctive. Knows how to get off the LOS as a receiver and will do a good job of finding soft spots in zone coverage. He has excellent hands. Rarely drops a pass he should catch, shows the ability to catch over his head, and plucks the ball well on the run. Is a tough runner after the catch. Gets upfield quickly, has a little bit of burst, and will lower his shoulder and run over some DB's. Is a solid blocker in space. Has good upper body strength and is a tough fist-fighter type that will consistently get in position and work to finish. Also a consistent long-snapper.

Weaknesses: Has some durability concerns after abdominal injury in 2003. Has adequate but not great size. Is a better blocker in space than he is in-line. Lacks ideal lower body strength. Has some trouble matching up against bigger DE's. Doesn't get consistent enough push in the running game and has some trouble sustaining his blocks at times. Has adequate-to-good athletic ability but is not great in either area. Has the speed to stretch the middle of the field but lacks ideal COD skills and run-after-catch elusiveness.

Overall: Dreessen has been a starter since his redshirt freshman season in 2001. As a junior in 2003, he had 29 receptions for 323 yards and three touchdowns despite missing four games because of a severe lower abdominal strain. He returned healthy as a fulltime starter in 2004 and finished his senior season with 43 receptions for 427 yards and three TD's. Dreessen is very much an underrated prospect. He does lack elite size and elite athletic ability but he is at least adequate in both areas. He needs to improve his lower body strength and improve his in-line blocking skills but he has the size and upper body strength to match up in space as a blocker in the NFL. He also is a solid route runner with above average speed and outstanding hands. Dreessen has the potential to develop into a fulltime starter in the NFL and he has the character and work ethic to get the most out of his abilities. His potential to long-snap at the next level will also help him on draft day. There's a good chance that Dreessen will slip to the third round of the upcoming draft. If that's the case, we think he'll wind up becoming a "steal" at that point.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

i mean this guy was still on the board in the 6th round. i dont know why he slipped so far but i'd rather have him cheap than some saftey who might now see the field.

UberDork
05-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Sounds to me we almost have to make a push for Franks. We will probably have to overpay, but if Joppru is out, we are in serious trouble at TE. Franks seems like the only viable option at the moment.

Dime
05-16-2005, 03:24 PM
:fatladysings: Sigh

Lucky
05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
...As far as TEs, I think that 2 or 3 were taking in the 3rd round...
There were 2 TEs selected in the 3rd round. The other Alex Smith, out of Stanford, taken 2 picks ahead of the Texans by Tampa at #71. And Kevin Everett out of Miami (FL), taken by the Bills at #86. Everett injured his knee in the post draft rookie camp & is lost for the season.

Meisterman
05-16-2005, 03:32 PM
If this is a serious injury....will Charlie finally have to use the "B" word for Bennie Jobdu? :confused:

ccdude730
05-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Why don't we wait for the June 1 cuts..............maybe we'll get lucky ?

And this wouldn't have been such a big deal if we'd signed an all-around tight-end instead of Mark "over the hill" Bruener. What was Casserly thinking ?

He had no way of seeing how injury prone Joppru would be, but, he did know that Bruener couldn't catch..........so what was he thinking ? Why didn't we get a TE that could block and CATCH when we had the chance ?

OH BROTHER!

we shouldnt have to hope to "get lucky" in order to fix our offense. and i happen to think a good TE would fix a great deal of our problems.

mark bruener wasnt brought in to catch passes, he was brought in to block since our blocking TE the previous season (seth wand) was moving to LT. did you watch preseason when he caught that pass and had to have 5 people to tackle him. or the jets game where he opened that HUGE hole for DD - even though it got called back. he came in for a specific job and i think he did just fine. dont bust his you know what because he didnt make us a top 10 offense.

look at the bright side - at least he knows the whole playbook :rolleyes:

joppru needs to get better and get on the field :hairpull:

edo783
05-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Just said on the ESPN790 show that it was a right knee. No word on severity. Hold your breath.

Fiddy
05-16-2005, 04:20 PM
This sucks. Everyone pray.

But more importantly, is Buchanan trying to break Andre Johnson's back?
http://www.houstontexans.com/slideshowimages/johnson_slideshow051605.jpg

THEFUTURE
05-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Just said on the ESPN790 show that it was a right knee. No word on severity. Hold your breath.
maybe a knee sprain, or something... as long as nothing is torn im happy, as long as when the season comes around he can compete for some time, and hopefully bust into the starting position

Paragon Blue
05-16-2005, 04:37 PM
it looks like AJ is trying to do the worm.

El Tejano
05-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Well Capers did say for the past two months he was down here making the same cuts and nothing's happened. Maybe it is something that can take a couple of days or weeks to heal. If it can happen now, and be good the rest of the year then we're okay.

Bayern
05-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Haha AJ doing the worm!

Joppru will be fine guys, don't be so negative. He probably just pulled something and they are being extra cautious. :ouch:

Texans Pride
05-16-2005, 06:00 PM
I think it is time to say "Thank you for your services" and cut our losses. This guy has been injured every year. It doesn't matter how good of a football player he CAN be when he can't even make it to the preseason!

This is very frustrating! :goodnight

DRIFTAWAY
05-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Well Capers did say for the past two months he was down here making the same cuts and nothing's happened. Maybe it is something that can take a couple of days or weeks to heal. If it can happen now, and be good the rest of the year then we're okay.

Are we really "okay"? If this guy ever makes it on a practice field let alone a game we still don't know what to expect from him.

keyfro
05-16-2005, 06:18 PM
you know no one has mentioned this so i will...this thought entered my head last year at this time when bennie got hurt but i didn't say anything but now three years in a row i will...bennie's injuries are related to that of steriod use...weakened tendons, etc...has anyone else thought of the possibility that joppru might be using roids...the nfl testing policy is hard to surpass but that's when you are on the active roster...bennie never has been...there really isn't a policy in place for non-active players...and why should there be...i think given his injuries maybe it's time to start questioning him about this...he could be using them to try and get back to level with the rest of the competition...i know they said it's his knee...maybe it's just light sprain and no big deal...but if it's his acl or mcl or whatever...we probabaly need to seriously look for another TE

Texas_Thrill
05-16-2005, 06:55 PM
I don't think we should have drafted a TE not saying we don't need one but i wasn't crazy about any of them coming out and i think our more pressing need was OL.

As far as bennie goes I think this is just one of those cases where an athletes body wont cooperate and it never will. We just can't count on him.

Fiddy
05-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I think it is time to say "Thank you for your services" and cut our losses.What services has he preformed??? Carrying Billy Miller's pads and helmet is the only thing I can think of...

nunusguy
05-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Here's the story out of the Chronicle.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3184586

SESupergenius
05-16-2005, 07:43 PM
SNAKEBIT! Joppru Boselli.

Texans | Joppru Injury Update - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 16 May 2005 17:31:30 -0700

Updating a previous story, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the injured suffered by Houston Texans TE Bennie Joppru (knee) appears to be a torn ACL. If confirmed, Joppru would likely be sidelined for a third straight season. Joppru will undergo an MRI exam Tuesday, May 17.

05-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Updating a previous story, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the injured suffered by Houston Texans TE Bennie Joppru (knee) appears to be a torn ACL. If confirmed, Joppru would likely be sidelined for a third straight season. Joppru will undergo an MRI exam Tuesday, May 17.

:brickwall My god... Well, just when I had hope, poof. :brickwall

D-ReK
05-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Let's hope Casserly makes a deal for Bubba Franks...He's the best TE left on the market, and it's pretty obvious Joppru is never going to play a down for us...

texan279
05-16-2005, 08:00 PM
How soon can can we get Franks in here? Seriously, Joppru's career could be over before it even started...

Lucky
05-16-2005, 08:38 PM
How soon can can we get Franks in here?...
Franks is a transition tag FA, so he can sign an offer sheet with any team until July 22. The Packers would then have 7 days to match the offer. If they don't match, no compensation is given.

I was all for the Texans pursuing Peter Boulware. Now, I think the cap room would be served on Franks. So I was for the Boulware signing...until I was against it. I now have empathy for John Kerry. :)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Please sign Franks. Our TE situation is very depressing now.

TopTexanFan16
05-16-2005, 08:46 PM
hhhmmm that would be an awesome sight.....bubba franks in a texans uniform. this could be a sweet deal but eh im not sure i think it will happen. IMO

LBblitz
05-16-2005, 08:49 PM
So I was for the Boulware signing...until I was against it. I now have empathy for John Kerry. :)
:dangit: hahaha

I am for us getting franks now even more than I was before. He has the ability to block and catch :drool: . He can take a lot of pressure off our WRs like he did in GB(ferguson, walker, and driver flourished with him there). I really wouldnt mind paying a little more for him to make sure we land him.

He could really help our redzone scoring percentage.

texan279
05-16-2005, 08:53 PM
I was just thinking too, I think Green Bay is having some cap problems which could help us if we decide to go after Franks. I say we make Franks a good offer, nothing too crazy though...Man we need a TE... :brickwall

TexansTrueFan
05-16-2005, 08:56 PM
he will er get better, well not for the looks of it. if he'sout the rest of this season than he will be gone next season for sure.

Texas_Thrill
05-16-2005, 08:59 PM
What were Franks stats last year? I mean would we be signing him in a long-term situation or a temporary fix?

TexanSuperstar
05-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah but it's gonna be hard for him to sit out all season even though he knows he's going to need to. He's gonna wanna be out there with the rest playing, i know been there done that. It's hard to just be the one on the sidelines watching others play or do what you love.

LBblitz
05-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Just a thought: If im not mistaken he is from the "U" and AJ and PBuch could really help the negotiations

Bubba Franks:

Has never missed a game as a pro, seeing action in 64 straight contests (69 including playoffs)
Including his scoring pass in 2002, it marked the first time since 1991 that three Packers threw for touchdown (also Brett Favre and Doug Pederson) in a season
Fourth tight end in Packers history to be named to the Pro Bowl joining Ron Kramer (1962), Paul Coffman (1982-84) and Mark Chmura (1995, 1997-98)
Interestingly, his first touchdown receptions as a collegian (in 1997 at Pittsburgh) and in the professional ranks (in 2000 at Tampa Bay) came on fake field goal attempts
Was only the third tight ever drafted by Green Bay in the first round - and the first in 30 years (Rich McGeorge in 1970 being the last) - when the Packers tabbed him 14th overall in 2000
Caught a 20-yard pass from President of the United States George W. Bush, like him a West Texas native, when the then-Texas governor made a surprise visit to a Packers practice Sept. 28, 2000, during his presidential campaign
While in college, he worked as a caddy at LaGorce Country Club in Miami Beach during the summer months

Grid
05-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Bring in the Bubba!

dalemurphy
05-16-2005, 09:40 PM
I sure do look forward to the day when Billy Miller can't make this team. No offense intended, but he's not an NFL caliber TE and yet, I'm afraid this is going to be the 4th consecutive season where I watch him play quite a bit for my team.

F-minus67
05-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Man Joppru has the worst luck, but as for Franks I say we go for him. Hes like 6'5" 260lbs, thats like combining Billy Miller and Seth Wand.

SA Fan
05-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Charley Casserly's to do list - May 16th, 2005:

8:00 am - Drop off laundry at cleaners
8:30 - Monster Truck Rally on SpikeTV
9:00 - Surf the web for scantily clad females
11:00 - Play Everquest, and try to level up one
noon - Lunch with Shaune Bagwell. Make request to see advertising
1:30 - Watch TIVO'd version of Desperate Housewives
3:00 - Tony Danza. What else?
4:00 - Challenge David Carr to a duel of "running around in circles" as fast as you can to perpare for the upcoming season
4:30 - Nap
5:00 - go home

New Item for to do list April 22nd, 2006: Get a friggin TE who isn't old, can't block, or doesn't get injured everytime he plays tiddly winks.
:goodnight :crying:

ROFL lol:

Man, When I read this I just had to laugh. It Sucks for Joppru and the Texans but sometimes when you hear bad news you just have to laugh.

SA Fan
05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
:yap
good Canadian Smiley Face

kbourda
05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Just a thought: If im not mistaken he is from the "U" and AJ and PBuch could really help the negotiations

Bubba Franks:

Has never missed a game as a pro, seeing action in 64 straight contests (69 including playoffs)
Including his scoring pass in 2002, it marked the first time since 1991 that three Packers threw for touchdown (also Brett Favre and Doug Pederson) in a season
Fourth tight end in Packers history to be named to the Pro Bowl joining Ron Kramer (1962), Paul Coffman (1982-84) and Mark Chmura (1995, 1997-98)
Interestingly, his first touchdown receptions as a collegian (in 1997 at Pittsburgh) and in the professional ranks (in 2000 at Tampa Bay) came on fake field goal attempts
Was only the third tight ever drafted by Green Bay in the first round - and the first in 30 years (Rich McGeorge in 1970 being the last) - when the Packers tabbed him 14th overall in 2000
Caught a 20-yard pass from President of the United States George W. Bush, like him a West Texas native, when the then-Texas governor made a surprise visit to a Packers practice Sept. 28, 2000, during his presidential campaign
While in college, he worked as a caddy at LaGorce Country Club in Miami Beach during the summer months

Yes indeed he is from the U (Franks that is). It is very sad to see what is going on with Joppru. I hope it's not too serious to sideline him for a while.

WWJD
05-16-2005, 10:32 PM
I think it's time the Texans cut ties with this kid...he's been hurt for the 3 years they've had him.

Some people just aren't meant to do a certain thing. I think perhaps he might want to consider another career option. It doesn't appear his health will permit him to play NFL football.

ATX
05-16-2005, 10:35 PM
so do we get a refund or what?

ATX
05-16-2005, 10:42 PM
$794,910 to get hurt a third straight season and never play a snap in the nfl. that's crazy, the guy has probably collected over a million dollars in the past 3 years and he's never really done anything except get drafted in the second round.

Hervoyel
05-16-2005, 10:50 PM
So we go into camp next season hoping Joppru can make it to opening day without a season ending injury and the simple fact is he's yet to do that. What in the world makes anyone think he's likely to next season? Even if he does now we're looking at a TE who hasn't played football in three years.

It's just time to say this didn't work out. Not "The Texans screwed up" or anything like that. There was no way this could be predicted. Joppru was a solid choice and we all thought he'd be a contributor for years to come. He won't so lets get busy finding a blocking/catching TE and move on. Franks works for me.

U4ikrob
05-16-2005, 10:53 PM
This article posted over on the Chronicle says a bit more

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3184586

Joppru's days could be pretty numbered if the tests come back positive on the ACL tear.

WWJD
05-16-2005, 11:01 PM
I think the Texans are smart enough IF his injury is season ending again to say it's time to let him go; pay him an injury settlement or however they do it and see what else they can find at the TE position.

Thru no fault of his own he's just too injury prone. Bad luck, fate, providence, however you wish to label it it appears this young man is not fated for an NFL career.

Keldar
05-16-2005, 11:04 PM
It's JUST a doggone good thing this boy ain't a horse........ :ouch:

ATX
05-16-2005, 11:13 PM
:survivor:

THEFUTURE
05-16-2005, 11:16 PM
you know if it was the same injury to happen to joppru, id say he is done, but its a totally different injury, and has nothin to do with his groin, does it suck that he is down again, yeah definatly, but im not ready to just dump him. capers was high on him so far during the offseason, and he had been performing well and attended every workout, injuries do happen, i hate it as much as everyone else, maybe a restructure to his contract, but dont dump him all together... but i do think bubba franks should be looked at as a replacement, and hopefully the injury isnt season ending, and have joppru and franks in on duel TE sets.. but dont just drop him like a bad habbit

ATX
05-16-2005, 11:30 PM
the problem with that is when you're hurt you can't play. you can't just keep paying a guy to do nothing. he's made over 2 million dollars already and football is a business. i jjust don't see him with the team much longer as much as i'd like to see what he's got.

jacquescas
05-16-2005, 11:32 PM
this is absolutely unbelievable. i agree, lets injury buy him out, he can rehab on his own and try out, lets send some money Franks way cause we are out of options. Bruener and Miller arn't gonna be fun to watch another year.

THEFUTURE
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
could we release him, and sign him to the practice squad or something, a considerable loss in pay, but maybe he would take it to stay with the team, especially after we have given so much to him and got nothin back

beerlover
05-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Halterman now stands a chance to make the squad as an undrafted rookie :ouch:

THEFUTURE
05-17-2005, 12:21 AM
we could always bring back jabari halloway, i think that was the guys name.. unless he caught on somewhere else

michaelm
05-17-2005, 12:34 AM
This news has absolutely no effect on me since I wasn't counting on him anyway.
I would have considered any contribution from Bennie to be 100% pure gravy.
I certainly hope that this forces the team's hand to an extent, and they spend a few bucks to bring in another veteran at the position.
This situation may tutn out to have a silver lining... or so I hope...

Hottoddie
05-17-2005, 01:09 AM
With GB's financial troubles, we wouldn't have to necessarily over pay for Franks. All we'd have to do is front load the contract. Doing that has a secondary benefit, of not putting a lot of backend dead money on the books. With the departures of Sharper, Foreman, & Glenn's contracts, we should have a fair amount of money to offer Franks a nice package. He's 27 years old. I bet he'd be looking to sign a contract somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-6 years.

Hey Charlie, whatcha' waitn' on? :hmmm:

Master Po
05-17-2005, 02:51 AM
The poster that brought up the 'roids issue is spot on, IMO. Destroys the ability to heal these types of injuries. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times...well...I should just go **** myself with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire. And, also IMO, Franks is not the answer. The only FA TE that has dropped more balls than this guy is Dudley. And while I'm at it...can we PLEASE stop with the "they went to the U. so AJ, and now PB, will be great influences, mentors, blah, blah, blah." Absolutely absurd. For my money...bring in Cam Cleeland. Just my .02.

TexanBacker93
05-17-2005, 07:48 AM
$794,910 to get hurt a third straight season and never play a snap in the nfl. that's crazy, the guy has probably collected over a million dollars in the past 3 years and he's never really done anything except get drafted in the second round.

Still better than what Cleveland got out of Winslow. At least we didn't surrender the #7 pick in the draft to get him either.

JustBonee
05-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Sounds like it is about over for him. That's a real shame.

OzzO
05-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Pat Kirwan's (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8477514) hot list for TE's

1. Cam Cleeland - StL - 6'5", 270 lbs, 29 yo
8 yrs, avg 11.6 yds
2. Marcellus Rivers - NYG - 6'4", 250 lbs, 26 yo
5 yrs, avg 8.4 yds
3. Zeron Flemister - NE - 6'4", 250 lbs, 28 yo
5 yrs, avg 11.6 yds
4. Chad Lewis (R) - Phi - 6'6", 250 lbs, 33 yo
8 yrs, avg 10.3 yds
5. Ken Dilger (R) -Tam - 6'5", 250, 33 yo
11 yrs, 11.5 avg yds

Tulip
05-17-2005, 08:40 AM
I sure do look forward to the day when Billy Miller can't make this team. No offense intended, but he's not an NFL caliber TE and yet, I'm afraid this is going to be the 4th consecutive season where I watch him play quite a bit for my team.

Exactly how much is "quite a bit"? Your definition of "quite a bit" apparently is roughly equivalent to my definition of "very little". It's something my companion and I paid a lot of attention to during games because he had a season-long bet going with a classmate about Billy Miller. I'm not particularly crazy about Billy Miller either, but IMO, he had limited playing time in 2004.

dalemurphy
05-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Exactly how much is "quite a bit"? Your definition of "quite a bit" apparently is roughly equivalent to my definition of "very little". It's something my companion and I paid a lot of attention to during games because he had a season-long bet going with a classmate about Billy Miller. I'm not particularly crazy about Billy Miller either, but IMO, he had limited playing time in 2004.

Quite a bit: on passing downs.

TexansFight
05-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Wonderful News :hairpull: Bennie "they called me Mr. Glass" Joppru is a bust of epic proportions. He hasn't seen ONE friggin down in an NFL game. Another Casserley 2nd or 3rd round bust. To think we could have drafted Jason Whitten who is a star with the Cowboys. Before the draft I was looking forward to the season and a playoff push but I don't think we are close. With McKinney as our starting center, no decent TE, and the drafting of TJ instead of DJ I think we will be luck to reach 7-9 again. Great another season of seeing David Carr running around with no offensive line protection. Awesome.

Oh Bennie, this is your alter ego. You suck and you stole money, get the hell out of Houston. I can't wait till we cut his ***.

http://www.heromaker.net/hobbies/film/unbreakable3.jpg

nunusguy
05-17-2005, 09:44 AM
The 2 biggest assumptions of the offseason for the offense, which includes the college draft and FA, is that Joppru would be healthy and ready to play in 2005 as the all purpose TE we've never had and that Seth Wand would have matured to the point to be the effective and competant (if not premiere), LT we've also needed from Day 1 to protect DCs blind side. Lets just hope that they are not as wrong about Wand as they were about Joppru.

HardCoreTxn
05-17-2005, 09:51 AM

We need a TE who can block and catch, IMO this is killing Carr as much as the O-line,...Millers in, they're passing..Brueners in, they're running...they may as well alternate Seth Wand and D.Armstrong at TE, they might be more productive
Im a Billy fan for catching the 1st Texan TD, but this guy has to go. Bubba Franks may not be the answer, but he would be a HUGE start. Carr has to have a safety net other than dumping it to Dom all the time.

FILO_girl
05-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Why are they holding onto Joppru? He has shown zilch in how long of a time? Why let seasoned vets go and keep him? I am confused. Must we keep at least one glass house on the roster, is it a rule unwritten somewhere?
Hello.......FILOgirl no comprendez..... :dangit:
Explanations please!!

Blake
05-17-2005, 10:25 AM
To think we could have drafted Jason Whitten who is a star with the Cowboys.

You cant cherry pick the draft. Get over the fact that we missed Jason.

With McKinney as our starting center, no decent TE, and the drafting of TJ instead of DJ I think we will be luck to reach 7-9 again.
Oh Bennie, this is your alter ego.

I dont understand this. People wine about our d-line, and our lack of pass rush. So we go out and draft a DE who is better at pass rushing. And then all of the sudden pass rush isnt as big of a concern.

You suck and you stole money, get the hell out of Houston. I can't wait till we cut his ***.

You are a horrible fan/person. This guy has done nothing but work his *** off to get on the field. He has had some bad luck. But you cant fault him for getting injured. You are the epitome of a bad fan.

TexansFight
05-17-2005, 10:40 AM
You cant cherry pick the draft. Get over the fact that we missed Jason.

I dont understand this. People wine about our d-line, and our lack of pass rush. So we go out and draft a DE who is better at pass rushing. And then all of the sudden pass rush isnt as big of a concern.

You are a horrible fan/person. This guy has done nothing but work his *** off to get on the field. He has had some bad luck. But you cant fault him for getting injured. You are the epitome of a bad fan.

So Casserley should get another pass when he could have selected a stud TE and instead drafted a major bust. Does Casserley ever need to be held accountable? To sunshine pumpers like yourself the answer is no.

If you are such a super fan like you claim you are by calling me out, you would know that the pass rush from the 3-4 we run comes from our linebackers. DJ would have been excellent at rushing the passer while a fat DL with issues regarding his work ethic and character does not exactly fit the bill.

Don't make me feel sorry for Joppru or to even feel bad for him. He should be feel fortunate that the Texans didn't cut him after he got hurt the second time and was able to be salary cap dead weight that he is. He has collected over $2 million and has done jack squat. He has a nice head start on life and his Michigan degree also helps. Best of luck to him in the rest of his life. That being said I am bitterly disappointed and pissed off at how much of a bust he has been. Getting hurt and being gone for the whole year 3 times before the season has even started is not "bad luck" but rather him being injury prone most likely as another poster has stated due to steroids. That being said Casserley deserves most of the blame for picking this guy.

Lucky
05-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Trade down for Heath Miller or TE on 3rd round!!!...
That's the same Heath Miller who couldn't workout prior to the draft because he was recovering from hernia surgery? You must be joking, there was no way the Texans were drafting a TE with a bad groin. Again, what TE was available? Alex Smith went ahead of the Texans 3rd round pick & Kevin Everett was lost for the year with a knee injury. The Texans couldn't solve the TE problem in the draft this year.

TheOgre
05-17-2005, 11:01 AM
My recommendation to Joppru...drink heavily.

BuffSoldier
05-17-2005, 11:02 AM
A proposal for next years first pick
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Buffsoldier/lewiscal.jpg
Go get MERCEDES LEWIS fro Houston Texans Football. Just an early Chrismas wish about 11 months in advance.

U4ikrob
05-17-2005, 11:06 AM
The 2 biggest assumptions of the offseason for the offense, which includes the college draft and FA, is that Joppru would be healthy and ready to play in 2005 as the all purpose TE we've never had and that Seth Wand would have matured to the point to be the effective and competant (if not premiere), LT we've also needed from Day 1 to protect DCs blind side. Lets just hope that they are not as wrong about Wand as they were about Joppru.

Agreed - I have said it all along that the team had some serious IF's coming into this season and one of the biggest IF's was Tight End - Joppru.

Some other posters have pointed out - They didnt plan for him to get injured again and that he looked healthy thru workouts.

My point would be - Thats really bad planning on the staffs part. They should have known better, especailly after being injured twice and never playing any live downs. They should have brought in competition and a starter at this need position to compete liek they did others, but they choose to ignore it get depth at positions they didnt have a real need at like Safety and Running back. I'm sorry folks, but I dont buy this hoping for the best attitiude with everybody thats semi-injured and they will somehow miraculously recover and provide the starter depth we need. How many times have we had this happen now? Bosselli, Hollings, Joppru, - How many times will the owner keep giving this staff chances to prove it's gambling on the wrong people and wrong things before somebody gets fired?

Honestly This stuff has got to stop. As a general thumb rule I hope for the best after I have planned for the worst. It's a lot mroe sound strategy that most people adhere too.

Where is the planning on the part of the staff for the O-line? This everything is ok and will magically be better because guys understand stuff sounds a whole lot more like smoke and mirrors. IF I am DC right now I am going what the F... are you guys doing in the front office? You guys better hope these guys pick it up and block for a cahnge - it's only going to take David a few more times of getting shell shocked before hes going to maybe get injured, will start losing confidence in the line and the staff.

Bottom line the Staff blew it on this one and like the above poster mentioned - They better hope there second gamble with the offensive line works out really good - or a few coaches may be seeing the un-employment line by mid season.

Vinny
05-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Why are they holding onto Joppru? He has shown zilch in how long of a time? Why let seasoned vets go and keep him? I am confused. Must we keep at least one glass house on the roster, is it a rule unwritten somewhere?
Explanations please!!I'll try. Because teams don't just cut players they draft highly in years 1 and 2 when they get injured. Joppru's base salary is reasonably low, he is going to bank his signing bonus no matter what we do. Why cut a player with a low base salary? Nobody saw a knee injury coming.

Why cut seasoned vets? Its a young man's game. It happens all over the league.

Texizgreat
05-17-2005, 11:10 AM
So any official word on the type of injury yet. Last I heard was rumored acl. idonno:

nunusguy
05-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Don't make me feel sorry for Joppru or to even feel bad for him. He should be feel fortunate that the Texans didn't cut him after he got hurt the second time and was able to be salary cap dead weight that he is. He has collected over $2 million and has done jack squat. He has a nice head start on life and his Michigan degree also helps. Best of luck to him in the rest of his life. That being said I am bitterly disappointed and pissed off at how much of a bust he has been. Getting hurt and being gone for the whole year 3 times before the season has even started is not "bad luck" but rather him being injury prone most likely as another poster has stated due to steroids. That being said cASSerley deserves most of the blame for picking this guy.
I feel for Joppru to, but as you say, he's done well by the Texans financially
speaking. Other teams would not have given him a second, let alone a third
chance and risked losing the cash/cap they look as if they have lost.
But I still don't consider Joppru a bust - from what I've read he had no serious injuries in his HS or collegete carrer, no warning of injuries later in
his career when he would enter the NFL. It could have happened to Carr or AJ. And in retrospect, I actually think
he was a prudent pick. They just didn't see him on film, but coached him all
week long at the college all star game the Texans staff managed and got
to see him up close and personal. I mean they could have taken another TE
that they knew less about but reportedly had more upside.
I do fault Cass for not having any better backup plan than what they are left with now which is, at the moment, Miller & Breuner. After last years setback,
they should have stopped assuming Joppru would recover at some point and planned accordingly.

BuffSoldier
05-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Explanations please!!

Just think we passed on Jason Witten for Bennie. :crying: :embarrass

Blake
05-17-2005, 11:15 AM
So Casserley should get another pass when he could have selected a stud TE and instead drafted a major bust. Does Casserley ever need to be held accountable? To sunshine pumpers like yourself the answer is no.

Im not sure if you noticed, but 31 other teams passed on him twice as well. Stop with the "we have the worst GM" bit.

If you are such a super fan like you claim you are by calling me out, you would know that the pass rush from the 3-4 we run comes from our linebackers. DJ would have been excellent at rushing the passer while a fat DL with issues regarding his work ethic and character does not exactly fit the bill.

This is why I dont respect your opinion. TJ was drafted for the sole purpose of getting into the backfield, and disrupting the timing. He was not drafted to take on 2 blockers and stay still. Watch his game tape. You will see he is a penetrating d-lineman. He has a quick first step, and powerful legs to get in the backfield. But im sure you already knew that. I would have liked to get DJ as well. But the Texans had other plans.

Don't make me feel sorry for Joppru or to even feel bad for him. He should be feel fortunate that the Texans didn't cut him after he got hurt the second time and was able to be salary cap dead weight that he is. He has collected over $2 million and has done jack squat. He has a nice head start on life and his Michigan degree also helps. Best of luck to him in the rest of his life. That being said I am bitterly disappointed and pissed off at how much of a bust he has been. Getting hurt and being gone for the whole year 3 times before the season has even started is not "bad luck" but rather him being injury prone most likely as another poster has stated due to steroids.

You can think what you want to think. I just dont think he deserves those words. I think he tried his best to make us a better team. Im disapointed it didnt work out either.

That being said Casserley deserves most of the blame for picking this guy.

Yes. He made a bad pick. But im pretty sure he had no idea Joppru's career would be like this. I think that his Andre Johnson, Dunta Robinson, picks overshadow the Bennie fiasco.

Vinny
05-17-2005, 11:18 AM
I feel for Joppru to, but as you say, he's done well by the Texans financially
speaking. Other teams would not have given him a second, let alone a third
chance and risked losing the cash/cap they look as if they have lost.Joppru's base salary is only $380,000. He gets his bonus money no matter what we do. No team in the NFL would have cut him for his groin when they can just pay him his small base and let him rehab, so I don't think it is accurate to say we have done something no other team would have. It is just a sad situation. Things like this happen in the NFL. The Bills lost their rookie TE this year too.

Dime
05-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Ok folks, I am sad about this as the next guy. But this thread is getting old. Bennie is hurt, and hasnt got a chance to show what he is made of. This has to be horrible for him, and to see you all bashing him because of it is low. Even for a few of you. This kid sees a career that he might have been great at, dropping away and possibly being cut (and good chance no one else would risk on him). I want to win all the games next year too, but get off him. Hopefully, it isnt as bad as they say. If it is, the Texans willl make a decision that is right for the Texans. I am so glad you all have the abilty to see into the future, to pick TE's that have gone on to do great things. Or Since you all screaming about Whitten or a few others, or those yelling about picking up a TE in the draft when it looked that Bennie was back. Matter of fact.... Why arent you on the texans scouting team? Or do you have the luxury of waiting till something happens then claiming it was a bad idea.

Something else while I am on my soap box. Get off of Morecy as well. You have NO bloody idea what these people see in this kid. People yelling about DD, then last year, he does over 1k yards... Oh, they were smart, but he isnt durable. Now, Morecy is picked. People are yelling again. Why dont we SEE if they can do something before you all are screaming about the picks. Gez people.

Peaved Off Texan Here!
Dime

Ibar_Harry
05-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Some of you seem to be quote knowledgeable concerning roids, but perhaps not. This is a big disappointment to me also, but some people just do have bad luck and I've been their myself. If its a torn ACL then perhaps its just one of those things. I think others on our club have had the same thing. May be he had worked out too hard and put to much stress to early. After all we had how many out our 2nd year? Capers said we had our best year ever in the weight room. If our guys are in as good a shape as he says why are we loosing so many to injuries. Yes, injuries are not uncommon in the NFL, but I think we are running above average. Is our weight program stressing the musscles to much? It could be. I know Riley is an expert, but sometimes you can go too far.

In the early part of the seasn last year Fresno State lost its best back at the end of the Kansas game to a similar injury. Why they played the player at that point in the game was beyond me, but they did. That cost them probably the WAC conference title and you name it, because the back was that good. I believe they would have beat Boise if they had that back. Sometimes I think these kinds of injuries are disasters waiting to happen. In other words I think there is a partial injury that really is not diagnoisable or obvious and when the right move is made it just reveals itself. Others are obviously the result of a tackle or play. I think BJ's was the former. Sometimes I think players should go through a CAT Scan after every game. I think it would be amazing what they would find. I guess we can hope its something minor that looks bad, but my guess he would miss most of the mini camps and that would be a disaster for him learning wise.

Many were hopeful that his blocking ability would help the O-line, but quite frankly I though he would have to be brought along slowly to avoid reinjury. I have a feeling they and he tried to move too quickly and this is the end result. I can't fault someone for trying too hard. All the players quoted seem to say BJ wanted to perform, but may be that was his achelles heel. We will just have to wait and see.

Vinny
05-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Joppru doesn't look like he is a roid hound. I've seen them up close and personal. I think this is just reaching.

Hervoyel
05-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Wonderful News :hairpull: Bennie "they called me Mr. Glass" Joppru is a bust of epic proportions. He hasn't seen ONE friggin down in an NFL game. Another Casserley 2nd or 3rd round bust. To think we could have drafted Jason Whitten who is a star with the Cowboys. Before the draft I was looking forward to the season and a playoff push but I don't think we are close. With McKinney as our starting center, no decent TE, and the drafting of TJ instead of DJ I think we will be luck to reach 7-9 again. Great another season of seeing David Carr running around with no offensive line protection. Awesome.

Oh Bennie, this is your alter ego. You suck and you stole money, get the hell out of Houston. I can't wait till we cut his ***.

http://www.heromaker.net/hobbies/film/unbreakable3.jpg

TexansFight that just might be the worst post I've seen in 2005. Jumping on a player who's had a terrible run of luck and is injured is reprehensible.

This type of response disgusts me.

Vinny
05-17-2005, 11:41 AM
I find it hard to believe so many fans have such hatred in their hearts when one of ours goes down with unfortunate injuries. It's a bunch of us too.

Lucky
05-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Pile of horse manure. Any rookie >>> Miller + Breauner.
A pile, huh? Well who is this TE the Texans could have drafted who would have walked right in to the starting lineup & solved all of the Texans problems at the position? I've already refuted your suggestions of Heath Miller & the TEs taken in the 3rd round. Here's a
list of the TEs drafted this season. (http://www.drafthistory.com/positions/te.html). If you're going to call someone out for a statement they made, try to back it up with some facts.

I understand your frustration, but this was a historically poor draft for TEs.

Ibar_Harry
05-17-2005, 11:57 AM
I find it hard to believe so many fans have such hatred in their hearts when one of ours goes down with unfortunate injuries. It's a bunch of us too.

Vinny! You and I will agree on this one, but part of it is the realization that BJ was a big part of this year's dream and his reinjury has dashed a lot of hopes. I think a lot of people knew a healthy BJ ment a lot to the Texans. I really feel there is no question that a healthy BJ would have been a big asset to this ball club. God willing the injury is not as bad as it looks. I think the other realization is that the Texan's do not appear to have an alternate plan or replacement and people are frustrated. They want so much to have a winning ball club. We have a lot of talent, but we just can't seem to get over the hump.

infantrycak
05-17-2005, 12:01 PM

No some of the pass rush comes from the LB's in a 3-4. Think back to Gary Walker with 6 sacks in 2002.

DJ would have improved the pass rush more than TJ? Now that's going out on a limb. Let's see DJ rarely blitzed in college and never pass rushed. On top of that, he would have played ILB with the Texans which isn't where he would get a ton of sack opportunities--Sharper & Foreman combined for 13.5 sacks over three seasons--compare that to Wong who has had 14 by himself over that time period.

infantrycak
05-17-2005, 12:14 PM
I'll tell you who we should have drafted. His name is

John Doe (TE) (UC:Where ever) >>>> Miller + Brauner.... That is just a fact......

No, that would be the classic example of an unsubstantiated opinion.

Lucky
05-17-2005, 12:21 PM
I'll tell you who we should have drafted. His name is

John Doe (TE) (UC:Where ever) ...
Good news! The Texans were able to pick your guy up as an UDFA. Here's his bio (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster_detail.php?PRKey=157).

Problem solved. :highfive:

dalemurphy
05-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Pile of horse manure. Any rookie >>> Miller + Breauner. Oh jeeze, better than what we have now. Bennie with torn ACL? Were we suppose to be a 2 TE formation team anyways? Drafting a TE would not have hurt the Texans.

This offense is slowly degrading. Old-Weak-Slow people in the o-line and totaly ineffective TE combination. + the most boring offensive coodinator in the league. Am I Palmer Bashing....why yes I am! OHHHHHH....ohhhhh I bashed Palmer Ohhhhhh.... bad Texans fan.... bad! "season has not started and palmer is getting bashed already"..predictable.... puhhlease

We might go < 7-9 this season. Lets face it, the Coaches totaly placed too much faith in Juppro and it blew in thier faces. We got rid of two good players to free the CAP and now we got to use the extra money on some old-weak-slow TE and we now have to overpay (uhh Bubba?). Oh wait the TE was never the problem....... According to Palmer the QB just did not do his JOB.

:brickwall

Trust me, we do not make the playoffs Capers and his hooeys are gone! They will not get a 5th season <7-9. The moves they made this offseason pretty much guarantee that we are not making the playoffs. No O-line and the cover 2 will shut us down once again without a good TE.

Pardon me but I have been fraustrated about the line and the TE situation since 2003. I am tired of it!

Wow! Only Weigert is significantly over 30 years old on our OL.

If Davis goes down for the year in preseason and Morency ends up with 1300 yards, I wonder if you'd still wish we'd drafted a TE. You sure can't say that a second day pick would have secured a TE upgrade. If so, then you must also see the the Hodgdon pick in the 5th will be an upgrade for McKinney.

Why don't you either gain a little perspective or move to Dallas?

JDizzle
05-17-2005, 12:24 PM

Very clever how you disguise the naughty words like that.

No GM or head coach should get blamed for a player suddenly becoming injury-prone that had no history of it. If Joppru had proved to flat out suck on the field, then you can start the Casserly bashing, but in this case it's just poor luck for everyone. Regardless, the majority of Casserly's picks have turned out to be what they wanted - if not more - in them. As of now Joppru is the only one who might even be considered a bust, and it's not even because of performance issues. I seriously doubt you were screaming this nonsense when he was drafted, unless you have special powers like the magical genies you see in late-night infomercials.

El Tejano
05-17-2005, 12:46 PM
So did they ever say what the deal was with Joppru as far as his injury is concerned?

Hervoyel
05-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Ehhhhhh how can Morency gain 1,300 yards if DD ends up starting 100% of the time. Another case of BOB laying the facts. Here they are.....

1) DD has more talent that this Morency fellow!
2) DD is on another level compared to this morency dude
3) Capers cannot bench DD even if he is struggling cause we are simply not starting a rookie over a guy who has 1000 yards in the past 2 years.
4) Morency pick was an utter BS pick.

Slow down man and take it all in. He said "If DD goes down for the year in preseason" so then that might end up being how Morency gains 1,300 yards. He'll have to run them himself but that might give him the opportunity.

As for the rest of it.

1) Remains to be seen.
2) Remains to be seen.
3. Capers can bench anyone, he's the head coach.
4. Remains to be seen.

Though I have to admit I'm personally hoping that Davis stays healthy and busts off a good 1,500 yards this season so in my world Morency doesn't get that opportunity.

El Tejano
05-17-2005, 01:12 PM
You could look at Buffalo who at one time had Thurman Thomas starting with Ken Davis backing up and the two of them played in a run n shoot style offense. Yet both of them gained 1,000 yards each.

Blake
05-17-2005, 01:28 PM
So what are the chances we can pursue Bubba Franks? What kind of price tag would he have?

fresno8
05-17-2005, 01:28 PM
In the early part of the seasn last year Fresno State lost its best back at the end of the Kansas game to a similar injury. Why they played the player at that point in the game was beyond me, but they did. That cost them probably the WAC conference title and you name it, because the back was that good. I believe they would have beat Boise if they had that back.

It was sickening the injury to RB Dewayne Wright. Why he was in I don't know when we're up by 28. This guy would have been drafted rnd 1-2 if he came out this past draft. That's beside the point. You have to feel for Joppru, I wished as much as anyone he would be healthy for this year. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds, but it probably is. I don't think the whole season is over because we lost him, we have gotten better each year w/ out him. I hope we can bring someone in to help the TE situation, but there's not much left out there and we would over pay for Franks.

Lucky
05-17-2005, 01:40 PM
So what are the chances we can pursue Bubba Franks? What kind of price tag would he have?
He'd have to be signed to a contract the Packers couldn't/wouldn't match. I think the minimum salary Franks gets as a transition tag TE is just over $2 million. A big roster bonus for '05 and a option bonus in '06 spread out over the length of the contract might back off the Pack from matching. Anyway, Franks wouldn't come cheap.

Blake
05-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Well I think this is as good a time as any to use our cap money...

Porky
05-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Joppru is a bust in the truest sense of the word, but blaming Casserly is just ignorant. Unless some of you have a direct line to the Amazing Kreskin, blaming Casserly is akin to blaming the iceburg for the Titanic disaster.

Now, where I think the FO can be called into question is the lack of a backup plan. With a guy with his history, you would think we would have had a legitamite two way TE we could run out there as a starter, just in case. I hate to :deadhorse but are we better off with Glenn, and a 2nd and 3rd pick from this years draft, or PB alone? I realize Everett was injured in Buff, but that doesn't neccessarily mean he would have been injured here. I mentioned this at the time, that Everett was there for the taking, and would make a decent emergency starter. Oh well. Unless we get Bubba Franks, or some other legit two way TE, there is no way this team makes a playoff run. :crying:

The Morency bashing is just plain dumb. No need to comment.

Lastly, for DCRock and others, Texansfight is an opportunist. Probably why he is a lawyer. He's the guy chasing the ambulance down the road, just waiting to leap on the first mistake he sees. You will never see him in here after a win, unless it's too complain about Casserly, or threatening to sue because he didn't get his way, like some 2 yr old. I don't feel sorry for Joppru, as much as I do Texansfight's family. Joppru's pain will go away, the family has to live with this pain in the *** alot longer. :brickwall

ThaShark316
05-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Oh this sucks...when I heard he got carried off the field, I knew it was serious. :crying:

Damn, I knew we should have went after Franks, but you can't blame the FO for believing that Joppru's health wouldn't be a question this season. Hopefully Joppru can be 100% and injury free for 2006.
------

Texans | Joppru Has Torn ACL, Out for 2005 Season - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 17 May 2005 12:22:33 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports for the third consecutive year, Houston Texans TE Bennie Joppru (knee) has suffered a season-ending injury as an MRI confirmed that the third-year pro suffered a torn ACL in his right knee and will miss the entire 2005 season. Joppru, who suffered the injury during a non-contact drill during practice Monday, May 16, also suffered a slight tear in his MCL. Since being selected in the second round of the 2003 NFL Draft, Joppru has yet to play in a regular season game due to injuries.

Ibar_Harry
05-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Sorry to hear ACL and MCL, but I will state what I did earlier and that is I think they were there and it was just a matter of time. I honestly believe that a lot of these injuries are accumulative and the result of minor injures over a period of time. They just seem to be little nagging paines that will never go away, but they never really heal. I really do worry about our weight and strength program. To me it seems like we have too many of these kinds of injuries and others. Again, you can build your body and you can tear it down at the same time.

Marcus
05-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Lastly, for DCRock and others, Texansfight is an opportunist. Probably why he is a lawyer. He's the guy chasing the ambulance down the road, just waiting to leap on the first mistake he sees. You will never see him in here after a win, unless it's too complain about Casserly, or threatening to sue because he didn't get his way, like some 2 yr old. I don't feel sorry for Joppru, as much as I do Texansfight's family. Joppru's pain will go away, the family has to live with this pain in the *** alot longer. :brickwall

:highfive: Porky!

dalemurphy
05-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Slow down man and take it all in. He said "If DD goes down for the year in preseason" so then that might end up being how Morency gains 1,300 yards. He'll have to run them himself but that might give him the opportunity.

As for the rest of it.

1) Remains to be seen.
2) Remains to be seen.
3. Capers can bench anyone, he's the head coach.
4. Remains to be seen.

Though I have to admit I'm personally hoping that Davis stays healthy and busts off a good 1,500 yards this season so in my world Morency doesn't get that opportunity.

Exactly. My point is that you can't criticize the organization for not drafting depth behind an injury-prone TE when they used the pick for depth behind an injury-prone RB. And also, it is only May. Let's not freak out and assume nothing will/can be done.

Honoring Earl 34
05-17-2005, 03:55 PM
:dangit: Originaly drafting Joppru was'nt a bad pick , he's a victim of bad circumstances .
If you got a new job and the first day you came down with a bad stomach virus and missed two weeks then on the way back to work you were in a car wreck and missed another two weeks and while at the hospital you got a staph infection and missed two more weeks I guess that the employers fault .

TexansFight
05-17-2005, 04:36 PM

First off, I have been on this board many times after a Texans win to give props. I have been very critical of how this team has been run both on the field and at the front office. Palmer's play calling has been terrible and I am sure the vast majority of Texans' fans would like to see his sorry behind gone.

The guy I am mad at really isn't Joppru. I guess it really isn't his fault he is injury prone though I am sure the roids he was taking didn't help. Casserley is the main person who incurs my wrath. I was pissed we passed over Whitten for Joppru on draft day. It is criminally negligent in my mind to go into the season with virtually the same OL that we had last year. That McKinney is coming back much less starting for us at C is a complete and utter joke. Top this off with Palmer not doing a darn thing to protect Carr with regards to scheme and not being the sharpest tool in the shed makes me very wary for the upcoming season.

I agree completely with the previous poster who says we have relied way too much on guys coming off serious injuries and have gotten burned. Boselli, Hollings, and now Joppru. This has got to stop.

I fly down for half of the Texans home games even though I live in New fricking York. Do you have the same commitment?

Finally, I am a real estate attorney and am not an ambulance chaser as I never see a courtroom and involved in multimillion transactions. Nice job with the lawyer bashing. You mush be a Bush supporter as well.

TEXANS84
05-17-2005, 04:54 PM
I am sure the roids he was taking didn't help.

Those are pretty strong words, can you back that up with proof? No.

With you being a lawyer, you should know that to have a case....you have to have evidence, otherwise all credibilty goes out the door.

TexansFight
05-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Those are pretty strong words, can you back that up with proof? No.

With you being a lawyer, you should know that to have a case....you have to have evidence, otherwise all credibilty goes out the door.

When did this message board become a court of law? I can speculate and state my OPINION on a message board don't you think. Weakened ligament and tendons are a prime byproduct of steroid use. I don't think it is a stretch that he juiced up once he got into the NFL in order to compete. Why didn't he have these problems in hs or college as others have said.

Lucky
05-17-2005, 05:06 PM
...I realize Everett was injured in Buff, but that doesn't neccessarily mean he would have been injured here. I mentioned this at the time, that Everett was there for the taking, and would make a decent emergency starter...
Everett was coming off shoulder surgery and wasn't even able to workout at either the combine or his pro day. He probably came back too quick and wasn't in playing shape prior to the rookie camp. Anyway, the Texans would have had 2 injury prone TEs rather than 1.

I don't understand why people who follow the game closely can't see that the Texans couldn't find a TE in this draft that would help them in '05? They could still make a run at Franks and there are some stop gap type FA TEs still on the market. That's the best hope for this season.

TopTexanFan16
05-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Finally, I am a real estate attorney and am not an ambulance chaser as I never see a courtroom and involved in multimillion transactions. Nice job with the lawyer bashing. You mush be a Bush supporter as well.

hey man your no better when you bring polotics into it. so why dont yall both stop arguing theres been enough of that on this board and stick to whats important.....THE TEXANS!!!! :drool:

TopTexanFan16
05-17-2005, 05:13 PM
anyway bout joppru's injury i dont think really effects the team at all. in reality he never played a down for us meaning he never contributed to us meaning we havent gained or lost anything just lost someone that could have had potential or could very well have been a bust, and another thing that bothers me alot of posters call players that actually play in games injury prone only after being injuried once, i dont think i've really seen someon call joppru injury prone....

texan279
05-17-2005, 05:14 PM
When did this message board become a court of law? I can speculate and state my OPINION on a message board don't you think. Weakened ligament and tendons are a prime byproduct of steroid use. I don't think it is a stretch that he juiced up once he got into the NFL in order to compete. Why didn't he have these problems in hs or college as others have said.

You said he was taking steroids, that is no opinion. If you are going to say anything about anyone here or on any other MB, especially something like that, you better provide a source or link or you could end up in some trouble. You can't say a person does this or that just because thye show signs of something.

THEFUTURE
05-17-2005, 05:20 PM
For any fan that gets on joppru's case for being injured, go to hell. you think your upset? think how upset this guy is, he was finally healthy, and workin out hard everyday, playing well in the offseason, and a freak injury happens, it happens all the time. this isnt the same injury for the 2rd time, its a totally seperate one, no one could have expected this injury... Jason Witten, no one. not a single GM thought he was going to be as good as he is, or go tell every other teams GM in the NFL they are *****s too, cuz were not the only team that passed on him, and joppru was better prospect for us for a reason, he is a very talented all around TE.. no one possibly could have known what was going to happen to BJ... as for this years draft, if bennie stayed healthy like we thought he would, he was better than any tight end in this years draft... TEXANS FIGHT, you are horrible, stop posting stuff you dont know anything about. go be a raider fan or something.. palmer continues to show more and more of our offense as we get the pieces to the puzzle in place... 5 YEAR PLAN, get that straight. .. the point of not doing anything to the line is how we think we can help DC, by giving the line some consistency for once, and not just keep changing things over and over every season, otherwise the line wont get any cohesiveness together

Dime
05-17-2005, 05:22 PM
hey man your no better when you bring polotics into it. so why dont yall both stop arguing theres been enough of that on this board and stick to whats important.....THE TEXANS!!!! :drool:

My compliments to you. It's a sad day when this 16 year old has more maturity then the 30 and 40 year olds.... Good job TTF16.

TopTexanFan16
05-17-2005, 05:30 PM
haha thanks....now jopprus injusry, what is it a torn Acl or is that what they speculate? cause i dont know of many players who come bak after an injury such as a torn acl and ever play to what they could have or already did. so if joppru didnt heal and somehow made it through mini camp alive next year i we could put him in during the preseason and see how he steps up. i know of one player who has and thats willis mcgahee if thats how u spell it so theres hope....

nunusguy
05-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Question for all you optimists who might think we're just a TE away from this
years playoffs, would you be willing to swap our 2006 #1 for the Steelers top pick from last months college Draft ?

Porky
05-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Everett was coming off shoulder surgery and wasn't even able to workout at either the combine or his pro day. He probably came back too quick and wasn't in playing shape prior to the rookie camp. Anyway, the Texans would have had 2 injury prone TEs rather than 1.

I don't understand why people who follow the game closely can't see that the Texans couldn't find a TE in this draft that would help them in '05? They could still make a run at Franks and there are some stop gap type FA TEs still on the market. That's the best hope for this season.

Good points Lucky. I bow to your wisdom. :thud:

Red House
05-17-2005, 07:09 PM
The guy I am mad at really isn't Joppru. I guess it really isn't his fault he is injury prone though I am sure the roids he was taking didn't help.

Umm...TexansFight, I am a lawyer as well (Real Estate and Energy Law) and I hate to break it to you, but stating that the "roids [Bennie Joppru] was taking didn't help" is not an opinion. You did not say "I think...." or "I speculate" or place a winking smiley face after the statement; No, what you said was a statement of fact and a defamatory one at that. With the negative light that lawyers are so constantly viewed in the last thing the profession needs is one throwing out random defamatory comments on bulletin boards. I am sure Bennie feels terrible about losing yet another season, but that doesn't justify calling him a steroid abuser without offering up something in the way of proof.

SA Fan
05-17-2005, 07:19 PM
You know,
I bet most people would like to have bret Favre's career or Emmit Smith's career.

But I bet if they had a chance to pick between their current career and Bennie Joppru's career, they'd pick Joppru's in a second.

Getting paid over 2 Million to sit on your BUMM for a couple of years.

:rolleyes:

Sorry for the filtered word
:embarrass

THEFUTURE
05-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Umm...TexansFight, I am a lawyer as well (Real Estate and Energy Law) and I hate to break it to you, but stating that the "roids [Bennie Joppru] was taking didn't help" is not an opinion. You did not say "I think...." or "I speculate" or place a winking smiley face after the statement; No, what you said was a statement of fact and a defamatory one at that. With the negative light that lawyers are so constantly viewed in the last thing the profession needs is one throwing out random defamatory comments on bulletin boards. I am sure Bennie feels terrible about losing yet another season, but that doesn't justify calling him a steroid abuser without offering up something in the way of proof.
GET HIM!!!! :highfive:

THEFUTURE
05-17-2005, 07:33 PM
You know,
I bet most people would like to have bret Favre's career or Emmit Smith's career.

But I bet if they had a chance to pick between their current career and Bennie Joppru's career, they'd pick Joppru's in a second.

Getting paid over 2 Million to sit on your *** for a couple of years.

:rolleyes:
dont think bennie likes sitting there not being able to contribute, he comes back from two injuries and tries his hardest to compete and was doing a darn good job. What you want him to run through walls, lift 747s with a pinky... i mean c'mon the guy is human. he got hurt. If it was you in his position wouldnt you want the fans to know you are trying like hell to play, and then all of a sudden some injury comes out of no where to take the guy down. you didnt hear anyone complaining of how he milked the two mill up until now when he got hurt again, like he ever wanted to get hurt his first season... heck maybe your right, maybe he went out on the field, and purpossely tore his groin, and caused himself tons of pain, just so he could sit on the bench, watch the game that he loves to play, and just collect money... WAIT SOMEONE SLAP ME! thats garbage and everyone knows it, the guy wants to play, wants to contribute.. he never asked for this. ... You know what, lets do what everyone wants and cut him right, The next thing you know, he comes back healthy next year for some other team and contributes... and you jump on casserly and dom for releasing him, that you knew he was our future tight end

SA Fan
05-17-2005, 07:37 PM
dont think bennie likes sitting there not being able to contribute, he comes back from two injuries and tries his hardest to compete and was doing a darn good job. What you want him to run through walls, lift 747s with a pinky... i mean c'mon the guy is human. he got hurt. If it was you in his position wouldnt you want the fans to know you are trying like hell to play, and then all of a sudden some injury comes out of no where to take the guy down. you didnt hear anyone complaining of how he milked the two mill up until now when he got hurt again, like he ever wanted to get hurt his first season... heck maybe your right, maybe he went out on the field, and purpossely tore his groin, and caused himself tons of pain, just so he could sit on the bench, watch the game that he loves to play, and just collect money... WAIT SOMEONE SLAP ME! thats garbage and everyone knows it, the guy wants to play, wants to contribute.. he never asked for this. ... You know what, lets do what everyone wants and cut him right, The next thing you know, he comes back healthy next year for some other team and contributes... and you jump on casserly and dom for releasing him, that you knew he was our future tight end

I didn't say that Joppru liked the way his career was going. I said if given the choice, most of US would pick his career up to date over ours.

CowboysTexansFan
05-17-2005, 07:38 PM
This news is extremely disappointing. I feel terrible for Joppru and how he must be taking all this after working so hard to come back, but at the same time, the team can't keep someone on the roster who doesn't contribute.

Capers himself has said that a guy can't make the team if he's on the sidelines (referring to players getting hurt in training camp). The fact is, if Joppru tore his ACL, he will have missed three full seasons. The team invested a 2nd round pick on him and has gotten zero return. I think it's time for the Texans to move on and release him. Perhaps Joppru can come back for another team if he wants to keep trying.

Dime
05-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Question for all you optimists who might think we're just a TE away from this
years playoffs, would you be willing to swap our 2006 #1 for the Steelers top pick from last months college Draft ?

no.... too much talent next year

ojthecat
05-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Why cut him now. Just put him on IR and let's see what happens next year if I understand it really wont hurt our cap and we can see what happens next year. I am not saying don't look for another TE just the opposite however what is the big deal if he is on IR?

vtech9
05-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Unless I am mistaken, Joppru can not be cut by the Texans unless he agrees to an injury settlement. If you hear that the Texans have reached an injury settlement with him then you can bet that he will be released shortly thereafter. If he doesn't agree to an injury settlement or isn't offered one, the Texans will have to either put him on the IR list or the PUP list. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Hervoyel
05-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Why cut him now. Just put him on IR and let's see what happens next year if I understand it really wont hurt our cap and we can see what happens next year. I am not saying don't look for another TE just the opposite however what is the big deal if he is on IR?

Absolutely. The Texans are three years into this now so who really cares about the fourth year of his contract. It's not like he's going to be earning 6 or 7 million dollars this year. Maybe next year this terrible run of luck ends. Maybe it doesn't. I'd put TE right up there near the top of our needs list and go get me one but I wouldn't have a problem seeing Joppru come back and try to make the team next year.

I'm not really trying to make light of his situation here but I have to add that I want to see him back next year if for no other reason than to see if this happens four times. I'm stunned it's gone to three, I don't see how it could happen again. Call it morbid curiosity if you will but I want to see if it's possible for this to happen four years in a row or I want to see him make it to the opening day roster.

Lucky
05-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Why cut him now. Just put him on IR and let's see what happens next year if I understand it really wont hurt our cap...
I think you're right. In fact, the cap hit would be slightly more if the Texans cut Joppru rather than keep him on IR. And as vtech9 points out, the Texans would need to reach an injury settlement with Joppru, anyway. Just put the guy on IR & deal with it in '06.

nunusguy
05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm stunned it's gone to three, I don't see how it could happen again.
What are the odds ? When this guys luck finally changes, gotta take him to
Vegas with you because he'll be due for a long, long run of good luck. But
really, the first two years were not independant of each other and this latest
injury could be a result of something as simple as him favoring the leg with the injured groin.

edo783
05-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Works for me. Love to see Bennie battle back and wind up making it. Talk about a comeback story.

kbourda
05-17-2005, 10:03 PM
For any fan that gets on joppru's case for being injured, go to hell. you think your upset? think how upset this guy is, he was finally healthy, and workin out hard everyday, playing well in the offseason, and a freak injury happens, it happens all the time. this isnt the same injury for the 2rd time, its a totally seperate one, no one could have expected this injury... Jason Witten, no one. not a single GM thought he was going to be as good as he is, or go tell every other teams GM in the NFL they are *****s too, cuz were not the only team that passed on him, and joppru was better prospect for us for a reason, he is a very talented all around TE.. no one possibly could have known what was going to happen to BJ... as for this years draft, if bennie stayed healthy like we thought he would, he was better than any tight end in this years draft... TEXANS FIGHT, you are horrible, stop posting stuff you dont know anything about. go be a raider fan or something.. palmer continues to show more and more of our offense as we get the pieces to the puzzle in place... 5 YEAR PLAN, get that straight. .. the point of not doing anything to the line is how we think we can help DC, by giving the line some consistency for once, and not just keep changing things over and over every season, otherwise the line wont get any cohesiveness together

Now tell me how you really feel. *s*

THEFUTURE
05-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Now tell me how you really feel. *s*
oh i could keep going, but i figured id let someone else have a shot

WWJD
05-17-2005, 10:46 PM
I don't imagine any Texan fan WANTED the guy to get hurt but at some point you have to be realistic. The guy was a high draft choice and he hasn't played one down for the team...at a position they could use help at.

You can like the guy all you want, feel sorry for him all you want, know it's not his fault all you want but the bottom line is he can't play because he's always hurt. Period. Nobody is blaming the guy but at some point (NOW!) it's best for the team to move on and quit worrying about him playing. He can't even get to a preseason game.

On the bright side he's wealthy, young and probably pretty smart. He'll bounce back doing something but it doesn't look like it will be playing NFL football.

THEFUTURE
05-17-2005, 10:54 PM
I don't imagine any Texan fan WANTED the guy to get hurt but at some point you have to be realistic. The guy was a high draft choice and he hasn't played one down for the team...at a position they could use help at.

You can like the guy all you want, feel sorry for him all you want, know it's not his fault all you want but the bottom line is he can't play because he's always hurt. Period. Nobody is blaming the guy but at some point (NOW!) it's best for the team to move on and quit worrying about him playing. He can't even get to a preseason game.

On the bright side he's wealthy, young and probably pretty smart. He'll bounce back doing something but it doesn't look like it will be playing NFL football.
Tell me one good reason to cut him.. cuz its not money, what a whole 380,00 dollars gonna break the Texans this year? c'mon, why get rid of a guy that has potential. this is a different injury, and has nothing to do with his groin, im a 100% positive this guy comes back, next year and has a strong showing. quote me on it.

D-ReK
05-17-2005, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread or not, so I'll let Vinny decide, but:

Texans | Look to Sign M. Rivers - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 17 May 2005 20:52:26 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans are apparently going to sign free agent TE Marcellus Rivers (Giants). He visited with the Texans Tuesday, May 17 and the team kept him in town overnight. Rivers was flown in after the Texans found out TE Bennie Joppru was lost for the season with a torn ACL.

WWJD
05-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Tell me one good reason to cut him.. cuz its not money, what a whole 380,00 dollars gonna break the Texans this year? c'mon, why get rid of a guy that has potential. this is a different injury, and has nothing to do with his groin, im a 100% positive this guy comes back, next year and has a strong showing. quote me on it.

1. He's never played one down for the team in a game.

2. His injuries are not just nicks...they are season ending injuries.

3. 3 years in a row he's on the payroll and you get nothing.

Say you owned a large corporation that made millions. You invested heavily in an employee coming in and contributing to your company. Would you keep that person on the payroll for 3 years? With nothing to show for it? So why should the Texans??

I always love it when people say hey 300 thousand isn't all that much money...that's a fine opinion when it's somebody else's money you're talking about but how long does this team wait on this guy?

It would perhaps make sense if he played some IN A GAME and showed something but that hasn't happened. Be logical. Players have to produce or they are done in this business. The Texans invested a great deal of time and money in Tony Boselli and finally had to bite the bullet. I think the only reason they were even a bit patient with him was because he was such a great player at one time. With BJ you can't even say that because he never gets to play because he's always hurt.

Ibar_Harry
05-18-2005, 12:14 AM
1. He's never played one down for the team in a game.

2. His injuries are not just nicks...they are season ending injuries.

3. 3 years in a row he's on the payroll and you get nothing.

Say you owned a large corporation that made millions. You invested heavily in an employee coming in and contributing to your company. Would you keep that person on the payroll for 3 years? With nothing to show for it? So why should the Texans??

I always love it when people say hey 300 thousand isn't all that much money...that's a fine opinion when it's somebody else's money you're talking about but how long does this team wait on this guy?

It would perhaps make sense if he played some IN A GAME and showed something but that hasn't happened. Be logical. Players have to produce or they are done in this business. The Texans invested a great deal of time and money in Tony Boselli and finally had to bite the bullet. I think the only reason they were even a bit patient with him was because he was such a great player at one time. With BJ you can't even say that because he never gets to play because he's always hurt.

What some are saying, however, is it costs more to cut him than to keep him. Therefore, business wise it seems you keep him on IR and see what happens next year. You actually gain rather than loose. I'm assuming the people know what they are talking about.....

THEFUTURE
05-18-2005, 12:30 AM
What some are saying, however, is it costs more to cut him than to keep him. Therefore, business wise it seems you keep him on IR and see what happens next year. You actually gain rather than loose. I'm assuming the people know what they are talking about.....
Exactly, Ibar we finally agreed, its a miracle

kbourda
05-18-2005, 12:37 AM

And who knows it could do wonders for his psyche and may come back better than ever. Who knows. I feel sorry for the guy.

bckey
05-18-2005, 12:40 AM
The problem with Joppru besides coming back from injuries is that he will be 3 years removed from football when he is able to play again. That is a long time to be out of football. And he has zero nfl experience.

THEFUTURE
05-18-2005, 12:57 AM
The problem with Joppru besides coming back from injuries is that he will be 3 years removed from football when he is able to play again. That is a long time to be out of football. And he has zero nfl experience.
he was two years removed this year, and no one really said much about it, its not like he just sits at home, im sure he is there everyday, watching a lot of film and studying the playbook, he might have a better grip of the playbook than a lot of other guys. also, whats so wrong with a player sitting three years before he plays anyways.. heck, im sure there are players that dont play the first few years being in the NFL, and come on later in their careers to make a contribution. We are just so used to every rookie coming in and performing for us right away, that we label him a bust... but we should, just look at it as time for Bennie to grasp the game from the sideline, gaining somthing out of this im sure.. i mean heck, look at peek, granted he played some downs for us, he was given time to develop, it just so happens that Bennie is developing in a MUCH MUCH different way, but hopefully for the best

TexAntagonise
05-18-2005, 07:16 AM
I see no reason to cut him. Unless McNair is going on vacation and needs a little "Mad Money." As far as Joppru coming back next season and making an impact? I'm sorry but I don't see it. Depending on how severe the tear is it usually takes a year to recover. Then they say it take another season before you are back to where you were before the tear. I see the Texans going after another TE in next years draft and Joppru never setting foot on the field, in a Texans uniform.

I also see the Texans signing of M.Rivers as a sign that they never expected much out of Joppru this season. If They expected something big from him they would have went after an impact TE (i.e. Franks, or Cam) instead of a backup.

OzzO
05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread or not, so I'll let Vinny decide, but:

Texans | Look to Sign M. Rivers - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 17 May 2005 20:52:26 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans are apparently going to sign free agent TE Marcellus Rivers (Giants). He visited with the Texans Tuesday, May 17 and the team kept him in town overnight. Rivers was flown in after the Texans found out TE Bennie Joppru was lost for the season with a torn ACL.

Hmm, well - he was the youngest and tied for least NFL years out the "hot list" grouping, not quite the best avg yards - not sure what weight that carries in comparison.
Pat Kirwan's hot list for TE's

1. Cam Cleeland - StL - 6'5", 270 lbs, 29 yo
8 yrs, avg 11.6 yds
2. Marcellus Rivers - NYG - 6'4", 250 lbs, 26 yo
5 yrs, avg 8.4 yds
3. Zeron Flemister - NE - 6'4", 250 lbs, 28 yo
5 yrs, avg 11.6 yds
4. Chad Lewis (R) - Phi - 6'6", 250 lbs, 33 yo
8 yrs, avg 10.3 yds
5. Ken Dilger (R) -Tam - 6'5", 250, 33 yo
11 yrs, 11.5 avg yds

NeViKaN
05-18-2005, 09:02 AM

You refer to the players as people. Not to say that they are not but in this business they are widgets, commodity, or inventory.

The Preacher
05-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Glass Half Full

1) Never seen what he can do professionally so how is he the difference that keeps us from the playoffs? :hmmm:

2) Will be ever indebted to Texans and should sign for league minimum considering he's already collected bigtime and yet to play.

3) Won't ever take playing in the NFL for granted if he ever plays and will probably never slack off which could be the reason he got hurt (too much stress on body).

4) Management and fans have absolutely no expectation for him to ever contribute again so if he does it's a bonus.

5) Forces other guys to step up.

JDizzle
05-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Torn ACL. That sucks. I really feel bad for the poor guy.

DominickDavisFan76
05-18-2005, 01:20 PM
ya but if ur injured 3 years in a row, I say keep him but lower the money he will get out of his contract,so they can save some cap room and make a good buy on someone, that is needed for them to get better. Im not sure what position they need someone from but u all know what i mean, well im out bye.

hot pickle
05-18-2005, 01:21 PM
is out for the season again or will he back back half way through the season?

TEXANS84
05-18-2005, 01:29 PM
is out for the season again or will he back back half way through the season?

Out for the season.

WWJD
05-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Be interesting to know if any other team has carried an injured player on their IR for 3 straight years.

Ibar_Harry
05-18-2005, 02:27 PM
On BJ from Houston Texans (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1694)

Sounds like IR for now. They might reevaluate after surgury.

ATX
05-18-2005, 02:39 PM
the real problem i have and i would think most of you have is not so much the fact that joppru has gotten hurt, but the fact that he's been getting hurt in practice and preseason. this guy has never played snap in the nfl and he gets hurt. just makes me wonder what will happen when he actually does play a game. i mean, is he gonna hold up when he gets popped across the middle or when dwight freeney rushes him and spins off of him. the good thing with him getting injured now, is that we have time to pick a free agent or make some kind of trade to get another TE. this is alot better than him getting injured the first game and all the quality FA's are taken.

El Tejano
05-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Maybe we could put Moses on the trading block , if he aint gone already, with something else for that TE we want.

gcolby
05-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Anybody know where I can get a lemon-yellow Joppru jersey?

:cool:

DRIFTAWAY
05-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Did Joppru show a history of injuries before we drafted him? This pick can now officially be classified under BUST for now. 3 straight seasons he has been hurt for the year, and we now know to expect injuries from him. Makes me question if he will be as physically strong, What if we put him in a game? Fumbles then out for career? odd case.

infantrycak
05-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Did Joppru show a history of injuries before we drafted him?

No he did not.

Vinny
05-18-2005, 04:06 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/mainpage/fpnews_photos/joppru_trainers_main051805.jpg
Capers - Real player link (http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/2003/texans/demand/capers051805.rm&proto=rtsp)

Joppru suffers torn ACL
By Carter Toole
www.HoustonTexans.com

The news is official and it isn't good: Bennie Joppru's third NFL season will be his third one on the injured reserve list.

Head coach Dom Capers confirmed Wednesday that the Texans' tight end has a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

"Right now we'll probably wait 10 days or so before they do surgery," Capers said. "I think the rehab is normally six to nine months."

Joppru suffered the injury Monday when he made a cut on a pass route during a non-contact drill.

"It's extremely frustrating," Capers said. "I feel bad for Bennie. He's worked really hard but he's had terrible luck since he's been here. It'll be the third year in a row that he's had an injury and won't be able to participate. When you're an athlete and you're a competitor, that's awful tough."

Lucky
05-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Be interesting to know if any other team has carried an injured player on their IR for 3 straight years.
I'm thinking that the Broncos may have IRed Terrell Davis for 3 years. Giving Davis an injury settlement sooner may have lead to an acceleration on his remaing signing bonus. When you see something like that, it's usually cap related.

rittenhouserobz
05-18-2005, 08:58 PM
I just want to say I am sorry to hear about this. I hope he recovers soon.

awtysst
05-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Maybe we could put Moses on the trading block , if he aint gone already, with something else for that TE we want.

Think we can sign Bubba Franks?

outofhnd
05-18-2005, 10:52 PM
I would rather Have Marcellus Rivers, Shows good hands and has a nose for getting open in the end zone. All TE are about the same Cam has 20 pounds on all of them. But I think Rivers would be cheaper.

I think imma find a 4 leaf clover and mail it to Bennie with instructions to keep it on you at all times on the football field. I mean this guy has like 0 luck... Did he break a mirror or a black cat cross his path on draft day? Maybe Next year he will be struck by lightening as he is just about to catch his first NFL pass.

I wonder what this does to you mentally, having to worry about re-aggravating these injuries.

As for the draft when we picked Joppru, I remember everyone on ESPN saying what a great pick and that he was the best tight end after shockey in the draft. Just has never worked out.

Ibar_Harry
05-18-2005, 11:06 PM
I would rather Have Marcellus Rivers, Shows good hands and has a nose for getting open in the end zone. All TE are about the same Cam has 20 pounds on all of them. But I think Rivers would be cheaper.

I think imma find a 4 leaf clover and mail it to Bennie with instructions to keep it on you at all times on the football field. I mean this guy has like 0 luck... Did he break a mirror or a black cat cross his path on draft day? Maybe Next year he will be struck by lightening as he is just about to catch his first NFL pass.

I wonder what this does to you mentally, having to worry about re-aggravating these injuries.

As for the draft when we picked Joppru, I remember everyone on ESPN saying what a great pick and that he was the best tight end after shockey in the draft. Just has never worked out.

Remember, Ernie Banks always thought next year was going to be the CUBS year. Well, may be BJ's will be next year. I think that everyone who watched him, including the Texans, know what his potential is. Sometimes the good Lord simply says, NO. What can you say and do except try again. The older you get the harder it is to heal. One thing you will be able to say, however, if he ever makes the squad he will be very mature and dedicated and it won't be a fluke. Given BJ's attitude he might even be better than Shocky if he ever gets on the field. Sounded like DOM still wants him and wants to assist him through these difficult times. I commend DOM and the Texans for that.

BringItOn
05-19-2005, 08:42 AM
I heard on the radio in Austin this morning that Joppru was released but have not been able to find any other news sources to corroborate this. Has anyone else heard this?

El Tejano
05-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Oh, I wouldn't listen to those fools, especially if you are talking about the guys from 1200. They like spend two seconds on the Texans much less know anything about them.

Mean Machine
05-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I haven't heard anything this morning on 1300 either but man, you are so right about the 'sports twins' they stink...they are so biased towards dallas I don't listen to them anymore. I emailed their program director and he actually emailed me back saying he would have a 'talk' with his dj's. This is the Texans affiliate too for Cen Tex.

BringItOn
05-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Actually, I heard it on 1300. They said that both Moses and Joppru were released. I guess it's not true because I've not seen anything to the contrary.

TexanFanInCC
05-19-2005, 04:38 PM
moses WAS released

THEFUTURE
05-19-2005, 04:42 PM
moses was released to make room for the new TE, joppru has not been released as of now

threetoedpete
05-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Little more sucurity for Billy Miller, The tight end with the most touchdown catches in the tight end corps for the texans.

You're getting 522 yards and one touch down from the TE corp. Color me unimpressed. Isn't
the TE position one of the major cogs for a WCO ? I'm happy you're happy for Millers sucurity, but Jezz 522 & one fricken TD ? Get a rope ! And Billy says to tell mom to send more cookies Dad. :deadhorse

threetoedpete
05-20-2005, 12:17 PM

Yep there was nothing wrong with Joppru when he came out. I know at the time I loved the pick. This frachise has had the worst luck with their #2 picks.As Bo Pilgram would say, Mindboggleing.The draft is a (an illeagle dice game] shoot. You never know. If it's my team, I start looking for good young TE's burried on someones roster and buy them for '06. Liked the Rivers move. But it's a long ways from Gonzo to Rivers. Carr deserves a top filght TE. I think it's injury settlement time. JMHO.

Happy trails to you until we meet again.
:violin

Porky
05-20-2005, 12:55 PM
this is alot better than him getting injured the first game and all the quality FA's are taken.

You mean like Rivers? :goodnight

D-ReK
05-20-2005, 12:59 PM
You mean like Rivers? :goodnight

FWIW, it was rumored that Cleveland was about to make a run at Rivers, but we beat them to the punch, so I guess hypothetically, if Joppru's injury were to have happened later, we would have to settle for someone along the lines of Rickey Dudley...

Porky
05-20-2005, 01:25 PM
FWIW, it was rumored that Cleveland was about to make a run at Rivers, but we beat them to the punch, so I guess hypothetically, if Joppru's injury were to have happened later, we would have to settle for someone along the lines of Rickey Dudley...

And the difference is..... :rolleyes:

Texan Dave
05-20-2005, 07:17 PM
A torn ACL isn't a career ending injury, most offensive linmen don't even have them repaired if they are torn. Infact a great QB named Troy Aikman had both of his torn, and never repaired, if you notice in pictures of him playing, he has braces on both knees. And for those of you who think I'm full of it, I tore mine my junior year in highschool, NEVER had it repaired, and started 4 years of college football as an offensive guard, and have NEVER had any problems with it. And for those of you who think it will effect your speed, I ran consistant 4.9 and 5.0 fourty yard dashes at 300lbs. But that was also a non "skills" position, and if I had played a position such as TE or RB, it would've been sugested for me to have it repaired. The only physical atribute I really didn't dramatically improve upon was my vertical jump, I lost 4 inches and never gained that back. The vertical jump is a totaly over rated stat for a lineman, it means absolutely poo.

My point is, yeah Bennie has been injured for 3 strait years now, he's had horrible luck, and so for his career has been a bust. But he hasn't had anything that would be considered career ending, and weather it's with the Texans or not, he will continue to get looks as long as he keeps working. Sooner or later he'll get his shot, weather or not he'll be any good is yet to be seen, but things are bound to work out to wear he'll play in a football practice with pads, sooner or later.

Man I really feel for this guy, 3 seperate injurys, 3 strait years, with the things he's thinking about, and are bound to be running through his mind at this time. I hope he's religious.

briptexanfan
05-20-2005, 08:20 PM
joppru will be ready next year when we are superbowl contenders.

A torn ACL isn't a career ending injury, most offensive linmen don't even have them repaired if they are torn. Infact a great QB named Troy Aikman had both of his torn, and never repaired, if you notice in pictures of him playing, he has braces on both knees. And for those of you who think I'm full of it, I tore mine my junior year in highschool, NEVER had it repaired, and started 4 years of college football as an offensive guard, and have NEVER had any problems with it. And for those of you who think it will effect your speed, I ran consistant 4.9 and 5.0 fourty yard dashes at 300lbs. But that was also a non "skills" position, and if I had played a position such as TE or RB, it would've been sugested for me to have it repaired. The only physical atribute I really didn't dramatically improve upon was my vertical jump, I lost 4 inches and never gained that back. The vertical jump is a totaly over rated stat for a lineman, it means absolutely poo.

My point is, yeah Bennie has been injured for 3 strait years now, he's had horrible luck, and so for his career has been a bust. But he hasn't had anything that would be considered career ending, and weather it's with the Texans or not, he will continue to get looks as long as he keeps working. Sooner or later he'll get his shot, weather or not he'll be any good is yet to be seen, but things are bound to work out to wear he'll play in a football practice with pads, sooner or later.

Man I really feel for this guy, 3 seperate injurys, 3 strait years, with the things he's thinking about, and are bound to be running through his mind at this time. I hope he's religious.

WWJD
05-20-2005, 09:37 PM
As far as I know Troy never wore knee braces...I sat thru many games at Texas Stadium and I don't remember a single instance of him wearing a knee brace.

I don't believe he ever had torn ACL's. Nope. Don't believe that's true. He had some back problems that gave him trouble, his rookie year I think he broke his hand or thumb and he had many concussions.

Texan Dave
05-20-2005, 10:12 PM
He had injuries in highschool and college, not the pro's. Later in his pro career he wore knee braces, I had the same kind of knee brace that he wore. They cost $6000, they're made from titanium, coated with teflon, they're also stream lined, made from a cast molding taken of your leg. When you wear them under your pants and socks, you can't hardley tell they're their from a short distance, and also have verry little restriction to your movement. And yes and ACL tear will cause you to miss an entire season, but it isn't a necessary ligament. It's the ligament that connects your femur bone to your shin under your kneecap. The muscles and supporting ligaments are more than strong enough to hold everything together. Their are lots of doctors that just like to cut someones knee open, because they feel it would be better in the long run. My knee doctor was Dr. Terry Woods, who at the time was the same knee specialist that the Houston Oilers, and most of the top universities in Texas used, he was considered one of the top 5 knee specialists in the US at the time. The team doctor at the university I played at wanted to opperate on it, said that it would give me problems for life without the surgery. It hasn't bothered or stoped me from doing anything.

Serious, yes, carreer ending, no.

awtysst
05-20-2005, 10:18 PM
In regrards to the whole Joppru situation, just read the following poem and all will be understood.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream -- and not make dreams your master;
If you can think -- and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings -- nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run --
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And -- which is more -- you'll be a Man, my son!

If by Rudyard Kipling.

WWJD
05-20-2005, 10:22 PM
He had injuries in highschool and college, not the pro's. Later in his pro career he wore knee braces, I had the same kind of knee brace that he wore. They cost $6000, they're made from titanium, coated with teflon, they're also stream lined, made from a cast molding taken of your leg. When you wear them under your pants and socks, you can't hardley tell they're their from a short distance, and also have verry little restriction to your movement. And yes and ACL tear will cause you to miss an entire season, but it isn't a necessary ligament. It's the ligament that connects your femur bone to your shin under your kneecap. The muscles and supporting ligaments are more than strong enough to hold everything together. Their are lots of doctors that just like to cut someones knee open, because they feel it would be better in the long run. My knee doctor was Dr. Terry Woods, who at the time was the same knee specialist that the Houston Oilers, and most of the top universities in Texas used, he was considered one of the top 5 knee specialists in the US at the time. The team doctor at the university I played at wanted to opperate on it, said that it would give me problems for life without the surgery. It hasn't bothered or stoped me from doing anything.

Serious, yes, carreer ending, no.

Like I said I NEVER saw Troy wear a knee brace...at the beginning of his career, during the wonder years or at the end of his career. It also seems rather odd that he was drafted #1 out of college and there was never a mention of him having these horrible ACL injuries.

I do remember him hurting his finger, I remember him hurting his back and I remember him getting concussions. I also remember him bursting his bursa sac on his elbow once. That looked very painful.

BTW..I'm sorry to hear of your injuries and hope you are completely recovered from them.

Jwwillis
05-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Torn ACL's are bad news. So are detached groins. I would say Joppru is a long shot to make an impact in the NFL now.

WWJD
05-21-2005, 08:34 AM
My heart is breaking for the kid......... his luck is so bad. :crying:

Sometimes life has a funny way of leading you in a direction you did not consider...he's young and I imagine fairly smart. He'll do well in whatever he chooses if the NFL doesn't work out for him and it doesn't appear it will. He just has too many injuries.

Wolf
05-21-2005, 08:35 AM
I agree. as much as I was hoping for Joppru to make an impact this season, I do think it is time to look for another TE... If Joppru is as good as advertised (can block and recieve) I wouldn't mind us finding another TE (that can do the same) and then when we use a two TE formation of (Insert name here) and Joppru.. It has got to be better than the Miller and Bruenner combo ... I like both of those guys,but in the nfl a team has to have a 2 dimensional TE..and these guys are only one.

SheTexan
05-21-2005, 09:10 AM

I believe the second injury was a reinjury of the first, I could be wrong but don't think so. He is young and healthy, a year off to recover and who knows what might happen.

briptexanfan
05-21-2005, 03:53 PM
http://wwws1.countryday.net/2007/ludowb/Dangerous.htm (wwws1.countryday.net/2007/ludowb/Dangerous.htm)

Like I said I NEVER saw Troy wear a knee brace...at the beginning of his career, during the wonder years or at the end of his career. It also seems rather odd that he was drafted #1 out of college and there was never a mention of him having these horrible ACL injuries.

I do remember him hurting his finger, I remember him hurting his back and I remember him getting concussions. I also remember him bursting his bursa sac on his elbow once. That looked very painful.

BTW..I'm sorry to hear of your injuries and hope you are completely recovered from them.

thought i would settle this for yall

hope this link works of troy's injuries. try link above

briptexanfan
05-21-2005, 03:57 PM
one more try.http://wwws1.countryday.net/2007/ludlowb/Dangerous_game.htm

hope this link works of troy's injuries. try link above[/QUOTE]

briptexanfan
05-21-2005, 04:05 PM
one more try.http://wwws1.countryday.net/2007/ludlowb/Dangerous_game.htm

hope this link works of troy's injuries. try link above[/QUOTE]

that did not work either. what the site said was troy sprained LCL on right knee on 11/24/1991 and sprained MCL on left knee on 11/20/94 and finally a severe bruise on left knee on 11/12/95 also. lots and lots of other injuries but that was it on the knees. good sight on football injuries if you can find it.

WWJD
05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Well thanks for trying with the link anyway. I never seem to do that properly myself.

There is alot of difference between spraining your knee and a torn ACL...but it's not a major issue really except maybe to Troy who had to do the suffering!

I don't know if I could stand the physical abuse NFL players have to sustain throughout their careers. It sure leads to alot of problems for them later in life.

Jay
08-01-2005, 12:32 PM
I guess I missed this. Bennie Joppru is not on the Texans roster. When was he released?

z0rpAn
08-01-2005, 12:33 PM
I.R.
Injured again...

Lucky
08-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Joppru is on the Texans roster (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.php). But he injured his knee in minicamp & will likely be placed on the injured reserve list prior to the season.

Carr Bombed
08-01-2005, 12:47 PM
I really wouldn't be to upset if he was released. There comes a point and time where you just have to cut your losses. Even if he does make it back next year he'll be like 3 1/2 years removed from football.

Vinny
08-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Why release a prospect who is isn't a big cap hit and had a 2nd round grade? He will just sign with another team and play when he gets healthy. If he was a cap problem then we should release him but to release him now makes zero football sense since we have room on IR.

swisher
08-01-2005, 01:03 PM
could a guy have any worse luck? I've never felt so bad for an athlete as I do for him.

nunusguy
08-01-2005, 01:13 PM
I really wouldn't be to upset if he was released. There comes a point and time where you just have to cut your losses. Even if he does make it back next year he'll be like 3 1/2 years removed from football.
Nobody with the Texans organization will be asking me, but I don't think we
should quit on him if he's willing to try it again next year. Afterall, he is yet
to quit on himself although he may decide to do so after this years injury. The thing is, none of this is his fault, anymore than anybody could fault Cass for drafting him back in 2003 - he had no history of being a fragile player, let alone anyone who would have such an incredibly unfortunate series of severe injurys over 3 consecutive years. But as usual, the financial consideration
re the cap consequences for us will be the factor that weighs the most in whether the Texans go another year with BJ.

PapaL
08-01-2005, 01:19 PM
could a guy have any worse luck? I've never felt so bad for an athlete as I do for him.

Its like groundhog day every training camp. I agree, not like his cap hit is hurting us. Reminds me of a guy named Yatil Green from Miami. Atleast BJ's story has reached this level: Yatil Green (http://www.thedolphinsmakemecry.com/rod-yatil-green.html)

Ibar_Harry
08-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Why release a prospect who is isn't a big cap hit and had a 2nd round grade? He will just sign with another team and play when he gets healthy. If he was a cap problem then we should release him but to release him now makes zero football sense since we have room on IR.

This one you and I agree on Vinny. The guy had a lot of potential. The real question is, will it still be there if and when he gets healthy? He had the potential to be the dominent TE we were looking for and its peanuts we are spending while we are waiting to see if it will ever happen. Accounting wise what has already been spent is not a factor, its what we will spend from here on that matters. Nobody is going to trade for him, so you keep investing and hoping, but you won't get many opportunites from here on to get someone like him from the draft if we are as successful as many hope.

Zac
08-01-2005, 01:44 PM
So, is Jopporu out for the entire season again? Or is there a possibility that the can come back at some point in the season?

This is a real bummer that this is going to be the third full season he has missed! :brickwall

nunusguy
08-01-2005, 01:47 PM
but you won't get many opportunites from here on to get someone like him from the draft if we are as successful as many hope.
Lets just hope we are so successful that we will be picking in the big numbered end of the draft, but I'm sure you know that teams can usually get top TEs at far less the price than say top LTs. Its not that unusualy to get a very good TE in the 3rd round.

MojoMan
08-01-2005, 01:57 PM
I hope Joppru recovers fully, and becomes a great tight end for the Texans. Regardless of whether he does or does not, I hope the Texans take a tight end on the first day of the 2006 draft, and I would be quite pleased if the Texans used a first or second round pick on a tight end. Mark Bruenner is not getting any younger, and Billy Miller is more of a big WR than a big, run-blocking, pass-catching TE. As Bruenner begins to phase out, it would be great to have two solid tight ends on the roster. Or, if Joppru does not recover the way we hope that he will, the Texans will certainly need at least one really good, multi-talented tight end.

Carr Bombed
08-01-2005, 02:02 PM
All I'm saying is I wouldn't be upset if they released him. Just like everybody else I know its not his fault and its very unfortunate the way his career has started off. Having said that you still only have so long to prove yourself in this league. I hope that he'll be able to produce for us, god everyone knows we need a complete te, I'm just saying patience is wearing thin.

tobybernard
08-16-2005, 03:22 PM
I HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE LOOP FOR THE PAST SEVERAL MONTHS, CAN ANYONE HELP ME?? WHAT IS THE STATUS OFBENNIE JOPPRU? DID THE TEXANS FINALLY RELEASE HIM?? HE STILL APPEARS ON THE TEXANS ROSTER ON TEH WEBSITE :fishing:

infantrycak
08-16-2005, 03:24 PM
He has not been released and will almost certainly be put on IR for the season.

tobybernard
08-16-2005, 03:26 PM
He Is Still Suffering From The Groin Injury??

William.carter
08-16-2005, 03:32 PM
NO torn ACL. Read the thread. i'm sure it will get you up to speed.

PapaL
08-31-2005, 09:55 AM
From Fanball (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-texansjopprutopup&prov=fanball&type=lgns) via Yahoo!:

Tight end Bennie Joppru was officially placed on the PUP list due to the torn ACL he suffered during minicamp. Joppru can start practicing with the team at the end of October and could be activated later this season.

Views
Joppru has missed his first two NFL seasons because of injury, so he's no stranger to the training staff. The Texans could use some help at the tight end position, so if and when he's able to come back from injury he could certainly contribute to the Houston offense.

lucky13
09-01-2005, 06:11 AM
joppru is still on the roster to cover casserly's butt- what (another) wretched draft pick he was!

Tedc
09-01-2005, 06:17 AM
I hope Bennie doesn't catch a cold this year.

He may injure himself sneezing.

rittenhouserobz
09-01-2005, 06:26 AM
My really big question is this. After all this time, is he in football shape mentally anymore? Does he even posess the skills that he was drafted for? To be honest I would have to think that one more setback and he is done for sure.

Exascor
09-01-2005, 07:57 AM
joppru is still on the roster to cover casserly's butt- what (another) wretched draft pick he was!Yeah-what a horrible draft pick! Casserly's crystal ball must have been broken when he drafted a healthy Joppru that was to become an injury-prone player. Shame on him!

Charles Hill="wretched" pick
Bennie Joppru="wretched" luck

William.carter
09-01-2005, 08:52 AM
My really big question is this. After all this time, is he in football shape mentally anymore? Does he even posess the skills that he was drafted for? To be honest I would have to think that one more setback and he is done for sure.

He isn't sitting on his butt at home eating Bon Bons. He is trainign and rehabilitating his knee. This guy have put in the work to get healthy and show up in shape each year after coming off an injury. He's got the heart to play and the talent to show well in his limited time in training camp the past 3 years.

To others who think Casserly and Co. made a mistake:

Horrible lucky with health issues doesn't make him a bad pick. No one would have forseen 3 years of season ending injuries. He is attending meetings and keeping his head in the game until his body can get back into it. Show the guy some respect for having the heart to endure these injuries and try and get back to the game that he loves and the team he supports.

Go Texans!
:texans:

bckey
09-01-2005, 10:19 AM
He isn't sitting on his butt at home eating Bon Bons. He is trainign and rehabilitating his knee. This guy have put in the work to get healthy and show up in shape each year after coming off an injury. He's got the heart to play and the talent to show well in his limited time in training camp the past 3 years.

To others who think Casserly and Co. made a mistake:

Horrible lucky with health issues doesn't make him a bad pick. No one would have forseen 3 years of season ending injuries. He is attending meetings and keeping his head in the game until his body can get back into it. Show the guy some respect for having the heart to endure these injuries and try and get back to the game that he loves and the team he supports.

Go Texans!
:texans:

He has been drawing a paycheck for 3 years without ever playing so Joppru is only doing what should be expected.

touttail
09-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Can you say Boselli?? Another one in the making!

Bobby 119C

William.carter
09-01-2005, 01:01 PM
He has been drawing a paycheck for 3 years without ever playing so Joppru is only doing what should be expected.

So what are you saying? A guy who works hard and tries to live up to the teams expecations doesn't deserve some respect rather than being called a bum, a loser, or a total bust that we should have avoided in the draft? Just trying to understand exactly what it is he DID that deserves the total lack of support this board seems to show him. It has to be tough being inches away from something you've wanted since you were a day dreaming child and never getting the chance to show your stuff. But he hasn't given up, and think that type of attitude and determination deserves a little respect.

I'm proud of the Texans for standing behind him. It shows what a class organization they really are.

bckey
09-01-2005, 01:49 PM
So what are you saying? A guy who works hard and tries to live up to the teams expecations doesn't deserve some respect rather than being called a bum, a loser, or a total bust that we should have avoided in the draft? Just trying to understand exactly what it is he DID that deserves the total lack of support this board seems to show him. It has to be tough being inches away from something you've wanted since you were a day dreaming child and never getting the chance to show your stuff. But he hasn't given up, and think that type of attitude and determination deserves a little respect.

I'm proud of the Texans for standing behind him. It shows what a class organization they really are.

All I said was that he is doing what he is being paid to do. I don't think that shows any kind of lack of respect. I think most people on this bb feel sorry for the guy but don't make it sound like he is doing something extraordinary by rehabbing and attending team meetings. The Texans have shown more patience with injured players than a lot of other nfl teams. You can bet though that if it was costing the Texans too much cap room Joppru would have been gone butI think it is costing us the same this year whether we keep him or cut him so the Texans figure why not keep him.

William.carter
09-01-2005, 01:59 PM
All I said was that he is doing what he is being paid to do. I don't think that shows any kind of lack of respect.

I apologize for my misinterpretation. Initially it sounded to me like you were saying the same thing another poster has said, basicly that he's cashing in and taking the easy way to pad his bank account.

don't make it sound like he is doing something extraordinary by rehabbing and attending team meetings.

My point regarding this is that he is showing more heart that some guys who stand a good shot at making the final roster and that is a shame. To be specific, Bradford looks like he is phoning in his performance every time he takes the field. Low effort, low energy, and no desire. If he doesn't like the thought of playing #2 to a superior receiver, he shouldn't have signed with us again. just my opinion.

You can bet though that if it was costing the Texans too much cap room Joppru would have been gone butI think it is costing us the same this year whether we keep him or cut him so the Texans figure why not keep him.

I agree with you whole heartedly, but a lot of teams in this league wouldn't have given this guy a chance to come back after the second season he missed. regardless of what it is costing them.

Dionysus22
09-01-2005, 02:08 PM

No one thinks he's a bum, but most feel the free ride has gone on long enough. Not to say that he's not busting his butt rehabing and attending meetings. But be honest, if it was YOUR money and YOUR butt on the line to bring home a winner, I'm pretty sure your opinion would be different. And if it wouldn't be, I sure hope you're not the CEO of any major company. Yes, he's a stand up guy and I wish more players had his heart, but this is a business. And I believe the cuttting of Billy Miller was a prime example of that. He was one of the most beloved Texans and they dropped him. AND HE WAS HEALTHY! It's nice to sit back and praise our organization for sticking by one of our guys who hasn't played a down since we drafted him 3 years ago. But what is this game about? Winning. Winning it all and being the best. And you can't win with injured players.

Exascor
09-01-2005, 02:17 PM
No one thinks he's a bum, but most feel the free ride has gone on long enough. Not to say that he's not busting his butt rehabing and attending meetings. But be honest, if it was YOUR money and YOUR butt on the line to bring home a winner, I'm pretty sure your opinion would be different. And if it wouldn't be, I sure hope you're not the CEO of any major company. Yes, he's a stand up guy and I wish more players had his heart, but this is a business. And I believe the cuttting of Billy Miller was a prime example of that. He was one of the most beloved Texans and they dropped him. AND HE WAS HEALTHY! It's nice to sit back and praise our organization for sticking by one of our guys who hasn't played a down since we drafted him 3 years ago. But what is this game about? Winning. Winning it all and being the best. And you can't win with injured players.So exactly how dows cutting Joppru help us win? I'll help you out here: It won't. He won't cost us a roster spot and the cap savings would be trivial. He is only 25-not 30. He'll have 3 years of Texans playbook knowledge under his belt and still a ton of that dreaded word-potential. Why cut him?

Exascor
09-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Can you say Boselli?? Another one in the making!

Bobby 119CMissed this one. Boselli was damaged goods when we took him. Joppru wasn't. Not even close to the same thing.

William.carter
09-01-2005, 02:22 PM
No one thinks he's a bum, but most feel the free ride has gone on long enough. Not to say that he's not busting his butt rehabing and attending meetings. But be honest, if it was YOUR money and YOUR butt on the line to bring home a winner, I'm pretty sure your opinion would be different. And if it wouldn't be, I sure hope you're not the CEO of any major company. Yes, he's a stand up guy and I wish more players had his heart, but this is a business. And I believe the cuttting of Billy Miller was a prime example of that. He was one of the most beloved Texans and they dropped him. AND HE WAS HEALTHY! It's nice to sit back and praise our organization for sticking by one of our guys who hasn't played a down since we drafted him 3 years ago. But what is this game about? Winning. Winning it all and being the best. And you can't win with injured players.

I'm not a CEO, but I know what a sunk cost is. His salary is a sunk cost. whether he plays a down or not. He could choose to walk away from the game and get paid the same, but he is earning his pay check. Not on the field granted, but he is doing his best to live up to his expectations. I wouldn't call that a free ride.

I guess I shouldn't have said anything, but i get tired of people bashing a guy while he is a down and calling for him to be cut loose when it isn't costing the Texans extra to keep him. He's doing the best he can to give them the player they drafted him to be.

TheOgre
09-01-2005, 02:23 PM
So exactly how dows cutting Joppru help us win? I'll help you out here: It won't. He won't cost us a roster spot and the cap savings would be trivial. He is only 25-not 30. He'll have 3 years of Texans playbook knowledge under his belt and still a ton of that dreaded word-potential. Why cut him?

My thoughts exactly...well said.

humbleone
09-01-2005, 02:32 PM
I am overall a big fan and supporter of Casserly and company regarding their selection of talent...IMO they have not missed much and no one gets them all right. That said, here are the facts pro and con regarding the Joppru decision:

We took him with the 41st pick in the draft in '03 which means we "passed" on a 6'5", 261 pound TE ranked higher on most boards from Tenessee by the name of Jason Witten (by way of reminder, Joppru is 6'4" and 262 pounds so they are about the same size). Witten was taken with the 69th pick by Dallas, has 1327 yds, 7 TD's and 87 receptions in '04 and the praise of a tough guy to please...Parcells.

IMO, the issue is not that CC is stupid for taking a guy that was never hurt and has been, nor the fact that the kid apparently wants to still give it a go...good for him although I agree with the posts that basicially point out correctly that he has been and continues to be paid to do that...I wish him well next year and hope that he can turn this thing around. But CC does own the decision to pass on Witten for Joppru. We have some very knowledgable (more so than me) fans on this board, and I would love to hear their thoughts on what that was all about. In fairness, maybe Joppru's numbers would have been as good or better than Witten's if he had not been hurt...we will never know.

I was disappointed with their passing on Witten in '03 and all I can remember about that was something about our coaches thought Joppru was a better blocker than Witten.

Also, in the interest of fairness and complete disclosure, I should mention that 27 other teams had a chance to pick Witten before Dallas got him in the third round (including us again at 67 when we took Peek) and they took guys who have not had Witten's impact for the most part also.

So in summary, nice going CC for DD, Mathis and CC Brown....

Whoops on Joppru (and not because he has been hurt) over Witten and a "2" for Tony Hollings.

Go Texans!!!

Carr8
09-06-2005, 04:41 PM
i think he should go he always injuried

Grid
09-06-2005, 04:44 PM
I think releasing him isnt an option ATM..due to his contract.

If im wrong there.. and we could release him right now with no penalties.. then I still think its a bad move.

there is room on the PUP and there isnt much point in releasing him as long as there is SOME small inkling of a chance that he could possibly at some time maybe recover.... like 1%..

1% is better than releasing him and having 0% though.

jacquescas
09-06-2005, 07:50 PM
lets put it like this he is on his last chance. He might even be asked to re-structure his deal to make it more team friendly but at this point we are not in a situation where we need the cap room and he doesn't have a big cap hit so there isn't much risk. If he can't play at least 9 games next season then he needs to go and we need to find a long term solution. I think by the time the draft rolls around we should know enough and will probably draft someone to compete with him anyways.

HJam72
09-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Nevermind, I miss-read something.

Hervoyel
09-06-2005, 09:46 PM
What could there possibly be to restructure? Isn't he going into the last year of his rookie contract (and without playing a single down, makes me want to cry when i think of it) and aren't last years generally pretty cheap? Either that or ridiculously expensive once they get that FAT CASH on their second contract.

It seems to me like we've already lost a pile on this guy and if we keep him one more season just to see if maybe, just maybe this terrible run of luck is over we risk losing what? A pile of money + 2 bits for this season? Let him hang around if for no other reason than morbid curiosity. I want to see what a TE who's been out three years plays like. I want to see if it's possible for a player to play all the way through his rookie deal without ever seeing the field. Humor me.

ledzeppelin229
09-06-2005, 10:43 PM
If he actually gets healthy they'll probably just stick the minimum tender on him and give him a chance. If he blows it...he's cut. Shouldn't be an issue as long as we don't pass on a good TE thinking he will be the savior.

Vinny
09-06-2005, 10:56 PM
His bonus is paid and he gets it cut or on the IR, regardless. He is only banging the cap for $380,000 this year in base salary so he is worth keeping to see if he can make the roster healthy next year. It's really not costing much money or a roster spot so it just makes sense to hang on to him and try it again next year.