PDA

View Full Version : Earl Mitchell bulks up from 287 to 308 pounds

Playoffs
05-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Earl Mitchell bulks up from 287 to 308 pounds (http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/11/earl-mitchell-bulks-up-from-287-to-308-pounds/)
Nick Scurfield

...“It was kind of a conscious effort,” Mitchell (6-3) said on Thursday. “I just focused on knowing what I needed to do and just kind of the battles that I was going through, knowing that I needed to weigh a little bit more just to withstand those double teams in playing nose tackle. I thought that this was going to be a big year for me, so I approached it very seriously and pretty much just wanted to hit it with a full head of steam to build off of how I was playing in the latter part of the season.”

read complete article: http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/11/earl-mitchell-bulks-up-from-287-to-308-pounds/

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2012, 01:24 PM
The Texans finally got smart about what they need in the middle. That weight gain was basically in his upper body..........and all muscle. He already had good lower bulk and strength.

beerlover
05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Earl is a gem of a person too. Local product from North Shore went to Arizona as a top rated TE. couldn't get on the field because of some guy named Rob Gronkowski so he switched positions to DT. now this says a lot about his work ethic & raw physical talent.

Jackie Chiles
05-11-2012, 01:36 PM
I thought he had a chance to beat out Cody last year. Shaun played better than I thought he would and kept his job but he is going to have a hard time this year.

Hardcore Texan
05-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Earl is a gem of a person too. Local product from North Shore went to Arizona as a top rated TE. couldn't get on the field because of some guy named Rob Gronkowski so he switched positions to DT. now this says a lot about his work ethic & raw physical talent.

That's awesome, thanks for the info.

rmartin65
05-11-2012, 02:43 PM
I love it. Personally, I think the 305-310 range is damn near perfect for the current system. Quickness and Power.

Texn4life
05-11-2012, 02:47 PM
I like Mitchell. I think this can possibly take him to the next level in this defense.

Playoffs
05-11-2012, 02:47 PM
“I feel pretty much the same. So far, I noticed a big change in the weight room. I’ve gotten a lot stronger, and I feel a whole lot better and just a whole lot more confident just being around my teammates, just feeling stronger and feeling a little bit more healthy conditioning-wise.”

TimeKiller
05-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Of course, you have to eat to gain the weight and he says learning to cook a little bit helped him to really pack it on....

My question is....don't the Texans have a team chef? I guess they probably can't send one out to every home. Geez, I know my friend is a serious body builder and had to learn how to bake about 10 chickens a week to keep up his growth. Already at 280, moving up another 20 pounds definitely took some dedication. If he can still run and keep the explosion at 305 he's going to be fierce this season!

bckey
05-11-2012, 03:16 PM
This is awesome! I was already excited for football to start and now there is 1 more reason to bump up that level of excitement. Mitchell wants to start and dominate. This is going to be one heck of a year for the Texans. Five primetime games including Thanksgiving. A new crop of receivers with potential. Mercilus and Crick ready to make a name and wreck some offenses their rookie year. A fatboy olineman that is agile and an SEC center that could play guard also and is probably gonna be good for a long time in the NFL. I'm even excited to see Bradie James in the middle! Damn I'm ready for some football!

rush2112mn
05-11-2012, 03:31 PM
The Texans finally got smart about what they need in the middle. That weight gain was basically in his upper body..........and all muscle. He already had good lower bulk and strength.

Looks like Cushing is wearing off on everyone.....another gym rat born........
Hulk strongerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... ..

DX-TEX
05-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Looks like Cushing is wearing off on everyone.....another gym rat born........
Hulk strongerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... ..

So Mitchells weight gain is because he is pregnant?:vincepalm:

cj5776
05-11-2012, 04:30 PM
I thought he had a chance to beat out Cody last year. Shaun played better than I thought he would and kept his job but he is going to have a hard time this year.

Since this is the last year of Cody' contract, it's good to hear that is one FA we do not have to worry about resigning. I'm still a traumatized about this last off-season. If Mithell can step up we can cross Cody off the list.

infantrycak
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Since this is the last year of Cody' contract, it's good to hear that is one FA we do not have to worry about resigning. I'm still a traumatized about this last off-season. If Mithell can step up we can cross Cody off the list.

If we dump Cody we just have to find someone else and he is already cheap so what's the point unless it is an obvious upgrade?

Vinny
05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Of course, you have to eat to gain the weight and he says learning to cook a little bit helped him to really pack it on....

My question is....don't the Texans have a team chef? I guess they probably can't send one out to every home. Geez, I know my friend is a serious body builder and had to learn how to bake about 10 chickens a week to keep up his growth. Already at 280, moving up another 20 pounds definitely took some dedication. If he can still run and keep the explosion at 305 he's going to be fierce this season!They have a RD (registered dietitian) educate the players and help them structure their meals from day 1.

IDEXAN
05-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Very difficult to gain > 20 lbs and still retain the quickness & foot speed of the lighter weight, there's bound to be a tradeoff, and therefor there will be a price exacted at the heavier weight. Lets hope the added weightand hopefully greater strength will more than offset the lost abilities.

Big Lou
05-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Very difficult to gain > 20 lbs and still retain the quickness & foot speed of the lighter weight, there's bound to be a tradeoff, and therefor there will be a price exacted at the heavier weight. Lets hope the added weightand hopefully greater strength will more than offset the lost abilities.

This is my concern, I almost posted this earlier. Mitchells "thing" is his speed for a big guy. As long as his quickness doesn't fall off too much, he could have a solid year.

Wolf6151
05-11-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm glad to hear of the added bulk as long as he doesn't lose athleticism in the process or test positive for anything. Also with OTA's and then training camp, I question if he can keep the weight on going into the season. With Cody being a FA after this next season we may see a NT rotation of Mitchell and Fangupo soon.

otisbean
05-11-2012, 08:30 PM

This is not always the case, if his strength and explosiveness are maintained through training he may not lose much if any thing. As an example, if he deadlifts 550 and power cleans 315 at 285 and those numbers equate to a 4.75 40, if he jumps to a bodyweight of 305 and DLs 625 and cleans 365 he wouldn't lose much on field explosiveness.

If he put on 20 lbs of fat or just gained size in his upper body alone you could see a drop in on field performance

As a side note, it's not uncommon for heavy weight olympic weightlifters and shot putters to run faster 10yd splits than the sprinters.

amazing80
05-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Earl weighed 296 at the combine and had a 1.56 10 yard split. He should be just fine at 310 and maintaining his speed and quickness.

Yaky
05-11-2012, 08:51 PM
If we dump Cody we just have to find someone else and he is already cheap so what's the point unless it is an obvious upgrade?

This. Dunno why everybody wants to get rid of Cody. He's a solid starter at a very important position in the 3-4 defense, and he's cheap.

Fangupo hasn't played 1 down in the NFL, hasn't proven anything, and he's almost as old as Cody.

False Start
05-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Great news. I hope this kid will succeed. Him being a hometown guy, and from all the interviews, and articles I saw about him. He comes off as a really good person, with great character. He's a perfect fit for the Texans.

Lets just hope he doesn't gall all Slaton on us like he did when he put on all that weight... :hides:

I dont think hew ill though. I'm looking forward to see play this coming season and kick some ass! :stonecold: :texflag:

badboy
05-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Earl Mitchell bulks up from 287 to 308 pounds (http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/11/earl-mitchell-bulks-up-from-287-to-308-pounds/)
Nick Scurfield

...“It was kind of a conscious effort,” Mitchell (6-3) said on Thursday. “I just focused on knowing what I needed to do and just kind of the battles that I was going through, knowing that I needed to weigh a little bit more just to withstand those double teams in playing nose tackle. I thought that this was going to be a big year for me, so I approached it very seriously and pretty much just wanted to hit it with a full head of steam to build off of how I was playing in the latter part of the season.”

read complete article: http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/05/11/earl-mitchell-bulks-up-from-287-to-308-pounds/Well dang, I'm impressed. I was hoping he would move to DE but if he kept his speed and increased his power, no wonder they did not draft a NT. THis should give Fangupo time to adjst to NFL and get conditioning for 16 games. Very positive move from Mitchell.

badboy
05-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Great news. I hope this kid will succeed. Him being a hometown guy, and from all the interviews, and articles I saw about him. He comes off as a really good person, with great character. He's a perfect fit for the Texans.

Lets just hope he doesn't gall all Slaton on us like he did when he put on all that weight... :hides:

I dont think hew ill though. I'm looking forward to see play this coming season and kick some ass! :stonecold: :texflag:You want to remember that Slaton had a severe neck injury also.

thunderkyss
05-11-2012, 09:49 PM

There were a couple of things in the article that sounded good. Working out at UH, working out whenever bored, learning to cook...

But without pictures, I'm a little worried. Getting flashbacks to Slaton's "bulking" up.

I also like how he talks about the success he had at the end of the season & wanting to build on that.

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2012, 10:15 PM
This is not always the case, if his strength and explosiveness are maintained through training he may not lose much if any thing. As an example, if he deadlifts 550 and power cleans 315 at 285 and those numbers equate to a 4.75 40, if he jumps to a bodyweight of 305 and DLs 625 and cleans 365 he wouldn't lose much on field explosiveness.

If he put on 20 lbs of fat or just gained size in his upper body alone you could see a drop in on field performance

As a side note, it's not uncommon for heavy weight olympic weightlifters and shot putters to run faster 10yd splits than the sprinters.

^^^^^This. The direct implication is that Mitchell has gained muscle and strength, probably mostly in his upper body, since his lower body attributes have never been questioned. Weight from fat merely slows you down, but it does provide more stability and power especially important in linemen. Weight from muscle, especially with accompanying loss of fat, does the same thing except for the fact that it gives you more speed rather than slowing you down.

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2012, 10:33 PM
There were a couple of things in the article that sounded good. Working out at UH, working out whenever bored, learning to cook...

But without pictures, I'm a little worried. Getting flashbacks to Slaton's "bulking" up.

I also like how he talks about the success he had at the end of the season & wanting to build on that.

Keep in mind that Slaton's body type make up / size / expected position function is totally different that of a defensive lineman. He essentially added 20 lbs of weight (on his sub 200 lb 5'9" frame) intended for ONLY the upper body, for the sole purpose of being able to sustain the trauma of head on hits. It, along with his tentativeness after his neck injury, contributed to his noticeable drop in quickness, which was his greatest trait. Try not to worry too much about analogy of these two players and their "weight gain.":tiphat:

infantrycak
05-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Keep in mind that Slaton's body type make up / size / expected position function is totally different that of a defensive lineman.

Exactly. At an even more basic level a 20 lb addition to a 190 lb body is much more significant than a 20 lb addition to a 300 lb body. Of course how it is added matters even more but you are talking about a bigger change.

steelbtexan
05-12-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm glad to hear of the added bulk as long as he doesn't lose athleticism in the process or test positive for anything. Also with OTA's and then training camp, I question if he can keep the weight on going into the season. With Cody being a FA after this next season we may see a NT rotation of Mitchell and Fangupo soon.

Yep,

Fangupo is a natural 320 Lbs man who has great strength and suprising quickness. If he can find a way to stop spraining his ankles he could be a real difference maker.

With Cody and Mitchell both becoming FA's after this yr, I could see Fangupo making the team and playing some next yr. Then taking on a more significant role in 2013.

NitroGSXR
05-12-2012, 11:03 AM

That didn't sound like he was talking about cutting Cody but more rather... "planning" for when Cody hits the FA market. I like that thinking AND I am satisfied with Cody.

VTexan
05-12-2012, 12:12 PM

And all muscle? comon now.

IDEXAN
05-12-2012, 12:14 PM
This. Dunno why everybody wants to get rid of Cody. He's a solid starter at a very important position in the 3-4 defense, and he's cheap.

Fangupo hasn't played 1 down in the NFL, hasn't proven anything, and he's almost as old as Cody.
I agree Yaky, your points have solid validity and logic. Besides, who do we have to do "On the Nose" in Cody's absence ?

beerlover
05-12-2012, 12:42 PM

http://www.prosource.net/content/articles/_uploads/1/ronnie-coleman-prosource.jpg

TimeKiller
05-12-2012, 12:48 PM
They have a RD (registered dietitian) educate the players and help them structure their meals from day 1.

A nutritionist of course but not a chef? I mean these guys are paid to be football players, not chefs. Some of them probably make the money for personal chefs who cook up the boatload of healthy food they need, some of them probably get by themselves or with someone close to them...seems like the team could probably employ a few personal chefs. I don't know how many of them live around here but it seems like a few of them do. I think they have it in the budget to get a meals-on-wheels going lol...just seems like something the team might be interested in.

infantrycak
05-12-2012, 01:47 PM
A nutritionist of course but not a chef? I mean these guys are paid to be football players, not chefs. Some of them probably make the money for personal chefs who cook up the boatload of healthy food they need, some of them probably get by themselves or with someone close to them...seems like the team could probably employ a few personal chefs. I don't know how many of them live around here but it seems like a few of them do. I think they have it in the budget to get a meals-on-wheels going lol...just seems like something the team might be interested in.

During any organized activity there are cooks guided by the nutritionist providing meals to the players. The nutritionist does all sorts of educational and personal planning with them in conjunction with the athletic trainer. When organized activities are not going on the players are not going to drive to the stadium to eat and the team is not going to send private chefs out to each player.

CloakNNNdagger
05-12-2012, 02:12 PM

You got me there! That's the info I got. But should have worded it "mostly" muscle.

But at least he still has a strong musclular lower body.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6wjEnha9Uf4/S6w7CKOo_gI/AAAAAAAABLw/PjYZHvjSZu4/s1600/spiderfat.jpg

steelbtexan
05-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I agree Yaky, your points have solid validity and logic. Besides, who do we have to do "On the Nose" in Cody's absence ?

Agreed

But with both Cody and Mitchell becoming FA's after this yr, planning for the loss of one of them would seem to be the prudent thing to do.

Fangupo would be a good place to start planning for the future. With Mitchell and Fangupo both having the ability to play some 5 tech Fangupo will probably make the team.

At whose/what positions expense is what should be interesting.

VTexan
05-12-2012, 04:17 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6wjEnha9Uf4/S6w7CKOo_gI/AAAAAAAABLw/PjYZHvjSZu4/s1600/spiderfat.jpg

this guys looks like the true NT texans fans have been clamoring for!

Rey
05-12-2012, 04:40 PM
He'll may lose a few pounds leading up to the season from work outs and practice. I think he'll end up a little closer to 300ish. Just a guess.

A 15-20 lb weight gain isn't super drastic for a big guy so I think he'll carry it well. Hopefully.

Wolf6151
05-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Fangupo would be a good place to start planning for the future. With Mitchell and Fangupo both having the ability to play some 5 tech Fangupo will probably make the team.

At whose/what positions expense is what should be interesting.

I can see Fangupo coming down with an mystery illness at the end of training camp allowing the Texans to put him on IR island and not exposing him to the PS.

Wolf6151
05-12-2012, 05:52 PM

Come on CND, was this really necessary? I'm going blind.

CretorFrigg
05-12-2012, 06:01 PM

You know they say it's not safe to post pictures of yourself on the internet. :spin:

thunderkyss
05-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Keep in mind that Slaton's body type make up / size / expected position function is totally different that of a defensive lineman. He essentially added 20 lbs of weight (on his sub 200 lb 5'9" frame) intended for ONLY the upper body, for the sole purpose of being able to sustain the trauma of head on hits. It, along with his tentativeness after his neck injury, contributed to his noticeable drop in quickness, which was his greatest trait. Try not to worry too much about analogy of these two players and their "weight gain.":tiphat:

I understand what you're saying, but 20lbs of muscle is good, no matter who you put it on. 20lbs of fat isn't. If you're expecting Mitchell to be that unmoveable force... yeah, 20lbs is 20lbs, don't really care where you get it.

But if you want him to push the pocket, if you want him to make stuff happen at the LOS, if you expect him to become the kind of inside presence that will avg 5 to 8 sacks over his career..... it had better be the 20lbs of muscle.

I, for some reason, think Wade wants the latter.

Arm chair coaches here, want the former.

If he got fat & slow, he's our next Travis Johnson.

badboy
05-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Agreed

But with both Cody and Mitchell becoming FA's after this yr, planning for the loss of one of them would seem to be the prudent thing to do.

At whose/what positions expense is what should be interesting.I agree. We were able to sustain the loss of Mario with having solid replacements. Hopefully, we have these in place at QB, NT, OLB (Barwin) and the only position we might be prepared to replace is LT. Not saying we should or have to but would be nice if team has upper hand.

CloakNNNdagger
05-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I understand what you're saying, but 20lbs of muscle is good, no matter who you put it on. 20lbs of fat isn't. If you're expecting Mitchell to be that unmoveable force... yeah, 20lbs is 20lbs, don't really care where you get it.

But if you want him to push the pocket, if you want him to make stuff happen at the LOS, if you expect him to become the kind of inside presence that will avg 5 to 8 sacks over his career..... it had better be the 20lbs of muscle.

I, for some reason, think Wade wants the latter.

Arm chair coaches here, want the former.

If he got fat & slow, he's our next Travis Johnson.

I don't believe I was ever speaking about gaining fat. Nevertheless, even gaining too much muscle on a small frame can lead to problems, especially one of coordination, especially if counterbalancing muscles are not equally developed......something that unfortunately occurs too often when a great deal of muscle is put on quickly. To put it simply, you can only build so much house on a small foundation.

redwhiteblue
05-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Oh so Mitchell is another former TE?

TexansFanatic
05-12-2012, 11:07 PM
You got me there! That's the info I got. But should have worded it "mostly" muscle.

But at least he still has a strong musclular lower body.

Damn! If ever there was a post that deserved rep. Alas, msr....

Bravo, Doc.

SteveSlaton20
05-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Wow, he really wants the starting job. I think him and Cody are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

TejasTom
05-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Damn! If ever there was a post that deserved rep. Alas, msr....

Bravo, Doc.

Got him for you.

TimeKiller
05-15-2012, 10:46 AM
During any organized activity there are cooks guided by the nutritionist providing meals to the players. The nutritionist does all sorts of educational and personal planning with them in conjunction with the athletic trainer. When organized activities are not going on the players are not going to drive to the stadium to eat and the team is not going to send private chefs out to each player.

Right. Why not? Seems like it wouldn't take much to protect their investments...

Hell, they could give me a field pass for one game or something like that and I would cook for them! Steamed fish and chicken, veggies, rice, pasta...I'd do it.

badboy
05-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Why would not the individual player hire a cook/nutritionist, massage therapist/trainer or whatever? Seems that would be a good thing and a business write off.

Rey
05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Why would not the individual player hire a cook/nutritionist, massage therapist/trainer or whatever? Seems that would be a good thing and a business write off.

I'm pretty sure most players have trainers they work with or training programs from the team. I'm also pretty sure they go and get massages. Most of them probably also have diet plans they follow.

But to hire individuals to do all that stuff would be expensive. Yeah they make a bunch of money, but all of them aren't super rich. And plus they probably have a lot of other expenses.

A good friend of mine and the lady I work with in the classroom is Isaac bruce's mother in law. Her oldest daughter is married to him. (she's an engineer)

They have a lot of money, but he takes care of a lot of his deadbeat family. He had some apartments and a whole section was occupied by family that was staying there rent free. And some of them had good jobs.

Basically, what I'm saying is that quite a few players can't or don't budget for that.

It's almost like saying a regular guy should only shop at whole foods. Yes there are quite a few people that do, but some people don't budget for that and some just can't afford it.

The Pencil Neck
05-15-2012, 04:21 PM

I have a friend who's a massage therapist. She works on a lot of athletes, including Wade Smith. But it's more of a "they call you when they need you" sort of thing as opposed to a "you work for me" thing.

tangential sidebar alert....

My wife got thrown from one of her horses. She cracked a couple of ribs and had a horrible, purple bruise that went from her mid-thigh up to her armpit. She asked that massage therapist "have you ever seen a bruise this bad?" And the massage therapist said, "Oh, yeah. I work on football players. They all have bruises this bad or worse."

Insideop
05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I didn't see it anywhere, but was Mitchell's decision to bulk up his own decision or did the team ask him to do it?

TimeKiller
05-15-2012, 06:54 PM
I didn't see it anywhere, but was Mitchell's decision to bulk up his own decision or did the team ask him to do it?

I think he said he did it because he wanted to be a little bigger while in the trenches. Of course, that could be a conclusion he had drawn for him.

Rey
05-15-2012, 06:56 PM
I'd be surprised if the team didn't ask him to get a little bigger.

badboy
05-15-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm pretty sure most players have trainers they work with or training programs from the team. I'm also pretty sure they go and get massages. Most of them probably also have diet plans they follow.

But to hire individuals to do all that stuff would be expensive. Yeah they make a bunch of money, but all of them aren't super rich. And plus they probably have a lot of other expenses.

A good friend of mine and the lady I work with in the classroom is Isaac bruce's mother in law. Her oldest daughter is married to him. (she's an engineer)

They have a lot of money, but he takes care of a lot of his deadbeat family. He had some apartments and a whole section was occupied by family that was staying there rent free. And some of them had good jobs.

Basically, what I'm saying is that quite a few players can't or don't budget for that.

It's almost like saying a regular guy should only shop at whole foods. Yes there are quite a few people that do, but some people don't budget for that and some just can't afford it.Let me wipe tears from my face because a player does not or chooses not to manage his minimal hundreds of thousands per year salary.

You can pick up a cook/housekeeper for couple C notes a week to follow team oriented menus. Now you do have to report them on your income taxes...:cutthroat:

CloakNNNdagger
05-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I've known quite a few NFL players over the years. Many have had complete nutritional guidance by the team and healthy prepared meals on "campus." But when they go out, it's unbelieveable how much and what kind of garbage food they choose to consume, not to even mention alcohol. Of course, there are others that continue their healthful lifestyle when "out of sight."

Rey
05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Let me wipe tears from my face because a player does not or chooses not to manage his minimal hundreds of thousands per year salary.

You can pick up a cook/housekeeper for couple C notes a week to follow team oriented menus. Now you do have to report them on your income taxes...:cutthroat:

A couple of c notes? For a weeks worth of house keeping and cooking?

Where?

C note is a hundred dollar bill right?

As far as managing your money, part of that is NOT spending it on things you can do yourself. Such as cooking and cleaning.