PDA

View Full Version : Why are Texans ONLY team in NFL not holding Rookie Camp

gafftop
05-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Anybody know?

rmartin65
05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
No idea. And we must be one of the few to have not signed any of the drafted rookies yet. I read that the Ravens have already signed all of their guys.

Blake
05-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Clubs are permitted to hold a rookie minicamp on one of the first two weekends after the NFL Draft and conduct one mandatory minicamp for veteran players. Clubs with new head coaches, however, are permitted to conduct one additional voluntary minicamp for veteran players. There is no restriction on the number of minicamps a club may hold for rookie players.

The dates for your Houston Texans' OTAs and mini-camp are after the jump.

HOUSTON TEXANS
OTAs: May 21-22, May 24, May 29-31, June 4-7.
Mini-Camp: June 12-14

www.battleredblog.com/2012/5/2/2994935/nfl-releases-dates-of-texans-otas-and-mini-camps+&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

El Tejano
05-11-2012, 08:39 AM
No idea. And we must be one of the few to have not signed any of the drafted rookies yet. I read that the Ravens have already signed all of their guys.

Kubiak addressed it once before and I forget what he said it was but something to the affect that he wants the team to get together with the rookies. He wants the rookies to see what's demanded of them right away from the vets, then after the OTAs he has a small camp or something with the rookies to go over what they learned.

Blake
05-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Sounds like certain teams who want to see their prized possession in a uniform for photo's or whatever will hold a rookie mini camp right after the draft.

NitroGSXR
05-11-2012, 08:45 AM
We have had voluntary camps since April 15th. Attendance was voluntarily 100%. This locker room is clicking. No need for mandatory anything. They're all out there training.

badboy
05-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Our draft was so goood, we don't need any stinking rookie camp. I am the only one who believes rookies should get every second of face time with coaches as possible. This will not be first time I've disagreed with coaches but like so many of my critics point out, you have to get paid to have a creditable opinion.

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Our draft was so goood, we don't need any stinking rookie camp. I am the only one who believes rookies should get every second of face time with coaches as possible. This will not be first time I've disagreed with coaches but like so many of my critics point out, you have to get paid to have a creditable opinion.

"Critical opinion"........not necessarily critical worth.:kitten:

Thorn
05-11-2012, 09:33 AM
I honestly don't remember my reaction to his pick. But if it was negative, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I remember how soundly I dug into Schaub's trade as being horribly wrong. :lol:

I'm losing my mind. I posted this in the wrong thread.

beerlover
05-11-2012, 09:35 AM
shock factor
:trapstar:

Honoring Earl 34
05-11-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't know but Suggs , Bowers , and Phil Tayor are out for the year already .

Wolfiegrrl
05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
The Houston Texans App on my cell phone states the rookies will be in house this weekend in preparation for next weekends OTAs. I thought I saw something on the web, but I am unable to find a link.

Vinny
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't know but Suggs , Bowers , and Phil Tayor are out for the year already .
Taylor will be out a few months, but I don't think he'll be out the entire season. He should be ready for the playoff run and the....ok, he plays for the Browns. Never mind.

Honoring Earl 34
05-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Taylor will be out a few months, but I don't think he'll be out the entire season. He should be ready for the playoff run and the....ok, he plays for the Browns. Never mind.

He's got a torn pec I think .

I don't think there's any hurry and it's more important to let there bodies heal up . Two achilles injuries and a torn pec . Does that mean they ain't stretching right ?

ChampionTexan
05-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Doesn't matter for OTA's and mini-camp. Unsigned draft picks can participate in those - it's not until training camp where being signed matters.

Every year some folks express anxiety or alarm about the Texans not signing picks, yet to the best of my recollection, any "holdout" we've had with our draft picks has been measured in hours, if not minutes.

ChampionTexan
05-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Looks like it's TBD on his return.

Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Phil Taylor tore his left pectoral muscle and will undergo surgery next week, coach Pat Shurmur said today.

Shurmur acknowledged that the injury "could be'' season ending.
LINK (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/05/cleveland_browns_dt_phil_taylo.html)

rmartin65
05-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Doesn't matter for OTA's and mini-camp. Unsigned draft picks can participate in those - it's not until training camp where being signed matters.

Every year some folks express anxiety or alarm about the Texans not signing picks, yet to the best of my recollection, any "holdout" we've had with our draft picks has been measured in hours, if not minutes.

I know, I was just adding an additional thought.

If I remember correctly, Brown was our only holdout, and I think he missed something like 2 hours? Could be wrong though.

The Pencil Neck
05-11-2012, 11:13 AM

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong about this, that the coaching staff uses that allotted time but puts it LATER.

So where other teams bring in their rookies for some rookie camps, and then bring the whole team together, and then go to TC, we bring the whole team together, THEN we bring the rookies in to work with them AFTER they know what's expected of them, and then head in to training camp.

We get the same amount of face-time, we just do it in a different order.

That's my understanding and my understanding has been shown to be incorrect before.

TejasTom
05-11-2012, 01:40 PM
The Houston Texans App on my cell phone states the rookies will be in house this weekend in preparation for next weekends OTAs. I thought I saw something on the web, but I am unable to find a link.

I heard this on the radio also, don't recall the station...i change it when a commercial comes on.

ObsiWan
05-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Yeah, I saw that on the CBS Sportsline page a week or so ago, where they were providing the schedules for everyone's OTAs, training camps, and such...

But now that I look again, it's not there....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/18952222/2012-nfl-team-ota-minicamp-dates

Allstar
05-11-2012, 08:54 PM
I distinctly remember Kubiak talking about having the rookies in for about a week without the vets. Don't know if it's an official camp or not though.

The Pencil Neck
05-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I distinctly remember Kubiak talking about having the rookies in for about a week without the vets. Don't know if it's an official camp or not though.

There are rules and restrictions in the CBA about this sort of stuff. They can't do it on a "non-official" basis.

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2012, 10:20 PM
NFL rookie mini-camps, Part 2 (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2012/05/11/19749471.html)
For those who did the math, you get a Texas-sized star on your forehead — the Houston Texans aren't holding a rookie camp.

KMG 365
05-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Rookies report to Reliant on May 13. Next week they'll do some classroom work and start working with Cedric Smith on their strength and conditioning. They'll hang out with the vets in the locker room and start the ever important chemistry between the players.

Here are some quotes from Kubiak about the rookies:

“We’ll spend that whole next week with them preparing them for OTAs, so we’ll get a good five days in,” Kubiak said. “What I do at the back end of the OTAs with our mini-camp is I like to kind of dedicate that to our younger players, now that they know what we’re doing. They’re up to speed offensively and defensively, and our scouts and everybody in the organization can get a better feel of evaluating who can come help us come fall time.”

Kubiak said the first thing the Texans do with rookies is dissect how far along they are physically.

“All players are different,” Kubiak said. “There are some guys way ahead, and some guys need to really start from scratch. That’s our job as coaches right now, to figure that out as they come in. You’ve got to make sure that you don’t just throw those guys right in with your vets. I mean, our guys work, boy. I tell you, Cedric works the heck out of ‘em, and we’ve got a team that’s really impressive out there right now, in great physical condition.

“So it’ll be a rude awakening for ‘em, but I think that’s what that first week is for. They kind of figure it out. We get ‘em in the locker room, they get to go sit down next to Brian Cushing, J.J. Watt, Matt Schaub and get all that stage fright out of the way and kind of start to fit in, and then we get into OTAs where they can relax a little bit and start to figure out what’s going on so that they’re ready to compete once training camp comes.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-in-Phase-2-of-workouts-OTAs-begin-May-21/77394007-2e4c-42f3-ad9b-6d296a673c0e

Corrosion
05-12-2012, 02:53 AM
I know, I was just adding an additional thought.

If I remember correctly, Brown was our only holdout, and I think he missed something like 2 hours? Could be wrong though.

Thats the only one I can recall being even close to a "holdout" if you want to call it that.

welsh texan
05-14-2012, 04:27 AM
You know, any time you go away from the expected route you have a chance for it to succeed or fail. Just because the other 31 teams are doing it a certain way doesn't necessarily make that the right way.

I can see the logic, instead of spending a week with the rookies before the vets get there, teaching them the drills etc, you let the vets help them learn the drills and then have a week at the end to coach them up based on the strengths and weaknesses they've shown during that time. Could work out pretty well.

Just hope it doesn't hold the vets back too much, it'd be fair to assume that Wade's playbook will open up even more due to last years offseason etc, and because he knows the vets a lot better than simply having watched them on tape in a different (failed) system.