PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby Jones Signs With Baltimore

CretorFrigg
05-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Of course. He was the Baltimore MVP in the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/47855/ravens-add-good-fit-in-wr-jacoby-jones

TexanSam
05-08-2012, 07:20 PM
:facepalm:

Dutchrudder
05-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Jones, 27, reached a two-year, $7 million deal with the Ravens on Tuesday, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Hahahhahahahaaha! Can't wait to play them now...

Texecutioner
05-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Well Baltimore just got worse.

GP
05-08-2012, 07:26 PM
$3.5 million per year????

LMAO!

Wow. LOL. I love it when people think they can make three-day leftover scraps taste like gourmet food. Pretty dumb move, Ravens.

And that he signed with the team how baited him into coughing up the football in the playoff game just makes it all the more awesome.

Nawzer
05-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Holy hell! $7 million for Jacoby! I wonder how much of that is guaranteed. Not more than $10.00 I bet.

GP
05-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Somewhere on a phone in Baltimore, early 2012:

"Jacoby, look man...just muff a punt in the game...we don't care when or where...just muff one....and we'll sign you when Houston cuts you." :secret:

BAM! Fumble.

Flash forward to mid-2012, somewhere in Baltimore:

"Ready to sign your deal? Welcome aboard!"

:tinfoil:

TexanSam
05-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Holy hell! $7 million for Jacoby! I wonder how much of that is guaranteed. Not more than $10.00 I bet.

I heard it was $50 but most of it fell from his hands.

Vinny
05-08-2012, 07:36 PM
just the signing bonus I'd think. I bet it wasn't all that big and his big salary may end up making him a camp cut if he doesn't come in play well right off the bat.

Nawzer
05-08-2012, 07:46 PM
just the signing bonus I'd think. I bet it wasn't all that big and his big salary may end up making him a camp cut if he doesn't come in play well right off the bat.

I actually hope he makes the team so that I can watch what Ray Lewis does to him when he screws up.

Fili
05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Then he puts up a 1600 yard season... Another Metta World Peace case.

silentassassin
05-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I think this is going to get to his feeble mind. Leach, pollard and he can all get together and talk and be mad about how, "That's OK, they didn't want us anyway." and try to find ways to take shots when it comes time to face them in the regular season.

And then he'll drop balls.

TexanSam
05-08-2012, 07:57 PM
I think this is going to get to his feeble mind. Leach, pollard and he can all get together and talk and be mad about how, "That's OK, they didn't want us anyway." and try to find ways to take shots when it comes time to face them in the regular season.

And then he'll drop balls.

Oh well. Of those three, only one is a good football player.

Dutchrudder
05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
The Ravens just gave Pollard a 3 year extension too. Houston East?

DBCooper
05-08-2012, 08:12 PM
That is so funny!

When does(did) he start?

Rey
05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Thats a good place for him to wind up.

I think he'll do well there as a third/fourth option.

TdotTexas2Step
05-08-2012, 08:25 PM
They definitely overpaid, but Baltimore has their reasons for picking him up.

The Ravens front office know we've positioned ourselves to be an AFC powerhouse, and if you want to get out of the AFC next season, you'll probably have to get through Houston to do so.

Jones' familiarity with our offensive system - he did spend a good number of years here - will be helpful to them. And as for on the field production, Baltimore won't force feed him to their fanbase or try to groom him into the #2 spot. He messes up, they cut him, there won't be a Kubiak there to hold his hand.

BullBlitz
05-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Congratulations Jacoby. Hopefully you've landed with a team with which you will be appreciated. Give some high five's to Leach and Pollard, and I'll be pulling for you on October 21st!

thunderkyss
05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
They definitely overpaid, but Baltimore has their reasons for picking him up.

The Ravens front office know we've positioned ourselves to be an AFC powerhouse, and if you want to get out of the AFC next season, you'll probably have to get through Houston to do so.

Jones' familiarity with our offensive system - he did spend a good number of years here - will be helpful to them. And as for on the field production, Baltimore won't force feed him to their fanbase or try to groom him into the #2 spot. He messes up, they cut him, there won't be a Kubiak there to hold his hand.

Seriously doubt Jj has any more insight to our offense than the rest of the league who studies our team in preperation for game day.

I thought Jacoby was being paid too much last year, but now that Ozzy basically gave him the same deal, I may have to lay off the Rick Smith amateur talk.

However, we do know Jacoby isn't going to Baltimore to be a #1 or a #2, not with Torry Smith & Anquan Bolden there. He'll probably be their #3, which is basically what that contract says.

I'll predict he'll easily out produce his best years in Houston as a WR, with that big arm QB & all.

thunderkyss
05-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Congratulations Jacoby. Hopefully you've landed with a team with which you will be appreciated. Give some high five's to Leach and Pollard, and I'll be pulling for you on October 21st!

Hmm... got me tinking, what does Baltimore know that we don't? They're becoming Houston North.

drs23
05-08-2012, 09:54 PM

LMAO!

Wow. LOL. I love it when people think they can make three-day leftover scraps taste like gourmet food. Pretty dumb move, Ravens.

And that he signed with the team how baited him into coughing up the football in the playoff game just makes it all the more awesome.

Heck GP, I do it all the time with corn dog sticks and left over pizza crust!

You can't do that? :D

drs23
05-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Hmm... got me tinking, what does Baltimore know that we don't? They're becoming Houston North.

Allright already. Is it Houston East or Houston North?

Quit confusing me. :D

BullBlitz
05-08-2012, 10:10 PM

LMAO!

Actually, you have no idea how this is going to work out for the Ravens and Jacoby. Plenty of players have had a poor start turn into a great career by moving on to a new team. I think I'll go with the Ravens GM's judgement on this one, over yours and the Texans.

What would really be "all the more awesome" is if Leach, Pollard and Jacoby each played a part in a win on October 21st. I'll be there!

Say Watt
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Actually, you have no idea how this is going to work out for the Ravens and Jacoby. Plenty of players have had a poor start turn into a great career by moving on to a new team. I think I'll go with the Ravens GM's judgement on this one, over yours and the Texans.

What would really be "all the more awesome" is if Leach, Pollard and Jacoby each played a part in a win on October 21st. I'll be there!

Jacoby's goose butter doesn't taste very good does it?

rush2112mn
05-08-2012, 10:36 PM

Jacoby did not ever mature.....plain and simple. He had his chance last year when Dre went down....and he did not step it up..

He has issues and still has issues on and off the field.

I was pulling for Jacoby ....I have since the beginning....but even I saw the writing on the wall last season.

You cant wait on a guy forever. I personally thought he was gone before last season myself.

I really think his best years are behind him.

Lucky
05-08-2012, 11:32 PM

"Jacoby, look man...just muff a punt in the game...we don't care when or where...just muff one....and we'll sign you when Houston cuts you." :secret:

You are the King. And the tin hat, your crown.

steelbtexan
05-08-2012, 11:37 PM

Mrs. Jones

They should've left Jacoby in Baltimore after the playoff game. It would've saved time.

steelbtexan
05-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Jacoby's goose butter doesn't taste very good does it?

MSR

It must brainwash people.

GP
05-09-2012, 12:30 AM
You are the King. And the tin hat, your crown.

:smiliedance:

GP
05-09-2012, 12:34 AM
@FakeSchefter....$7m deal is $100k for 2 yrs and $6.9m playoff bonus for previous playoff game vs Texans

LOL. Bob McNair needs to ask Goodell about the Ravens signing Jacoby Jones.

kiwitexansfan
05-09-2012, 04:21 AM
The best front office in the league brings Jones in for a road test. Maybe we kept him around for so long for a reason.

imatexan
05-09-2012, 05:00 AM
Then he puts up a 1600 yard season... Another Metta World Peace case.

I don't ever remember Artest being a weakness for the Rockets or any team of his, what are you referring to?

TimeKiller
05-09-2012, 08:39 AM
You would think if anyone besides the Texans would know.....it would be the Ravens.

At this point, all I can guess is that Ray Lewis is hungry and requested a baby lamb.

SCOTTexans
05-09-2012, 09:13 AM

BAM! Fumble.

Flash forward to mid-2012, somewhere in Baltimore:

"Ready to sign your deal? Welcome aboard!"

:tinfoil:

One extra win in the playoffs for 2 years of Jacoby.... Thats some bad front office work...:firehair:

Blake
05-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I am somewhat confused by the Ravens. But I will wait to see how the contract is structured before I blast them.

Jacoby was the worst route runner on the team last season. He was constantly having to adjust his position when he realized he was out of position. Which resulted in an incompletion.

Rey
05-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Jacoby has plenty of faults, but I don't know if he was a bad route runner.

Unreliable hands, awkward, occasional bad decisions, didn't attack the ball consistently...Yeah...

Bad route runner? I can't really say that. All I know is that he got open quite a bit. Didn't always catch the ball or get a catchable ball, but he got open.

Rey
05-09-2012, 09:55 AM
You guys realize we played the Ravens twice last year right?

Jacoby had his best overall game of the season the first time we played the Ravens. They probably remember how he twisted Ed Reed up and caught that long TD on them.

Blake
05-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Jacoby had his best overall game of the season the first time we played the Ravens. They probably remember how he twisted Ed Reed up and caught that long TD on them.

Who is this implied for?

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Jacoby has plenty of faults, but I don't know if he was a bad route runner.

Unreliable hands, awkward, occasional bad decisions, didn't attack the ball consistently...Yeah...

Bad route runner? I can't really say that. All I know is that he got open quite a bit. Didn't always catch the ball or get a catchable ball, but he got open.

The route running has been my third biggest knock on him after his hands and his fumbling.

Our offense has a lot of timing throws where the QB has to let the ball go before the receiver gets to his spot. So the QB is just throwing to the spot. Jacoby got open but the problem was that he wasn't always getting to his spot. That's why so many more balls looked like they were underthrown or overthrown to him than to anyone else.

It made the QB look bad. You've got this WR sitting there wide open and the ball falls to his feet or sails over his head.

At least, that's the way it looked to me. Matt was never as inaccurate with any other receiver as he was throwing to Jacoby.

kiwitexansfan
05-09-2012, 10:21 AM

How dare you suggest such a thing, Jones' only act in his career was one playoff punt return fumble. :kitten:

Playoffs
05-09-2012, 10:35 AM
The best front office in the league brings Jones in for a road test. Maybe we kept him around for so long for a reason.
Baltimore is a great fit. Jacoby will make a place for himself with the Ravens... their WR corps is average & thin. I expect good production from him.

Cutblock
05-09-2012, 10:45 AM
I seriously doubt Jacoby was ever going to earn his salary here. He was a wasted third round pick, and we can't afford to miss on too many third round picks. He was no better than Andre Davis, whom we paid less, and we didn't have to use a 3rd rounder on Davis.

If Jacoby can find a team that can use his talents, it won't hurt my feelings a bit. I hope things work out for him.

Rey
05-09-2012, 10:52 AM
The route running has been my third biggest knock on him after his hands and his fumbling.

Our offense has a lot of timing throws where the QB has to let the ball go before the receiver gets to his spot. So the QB is just throwing to the spot. Jacoby got open but the problem was that he wasn't always getting to his spot. That's why so many more balls looked like they were underthrown or overthrown to him than to anyone else.

Timing throw doesn't mean you're throwing to spots.

What it means is that you are throwing within a certain rythm. As a QB you still have to see the field and throw a catchable ball to the receiver.

Think about what you're saying. There are a few things that can affect a WR's route...Getting jamed, someone dropping in a zone right into their path, tripping, ect...

This stuff can happen on any play. This isn't practice where you're running routes on air and just doing exactly what you want to. There are going to be some hiccups and delays. That's just football. You cannot expect a receiver to be in the exact same spot everytime the run a route. That's just not going to happen. Sometimes they will be a little deeper, a little slower, a little faster, a little more shallow...That stuff happens all the time...

The QB is not out there just throwing to spots and that is a huge misconception. That's not what a timing throw is. Timing throw just mean when you hit the end of your drop (3 step, 5, 7; whatever) the ball is expected to be coming out. That's all that means. You still have to see your target and throw a catchable ball.

All that said, I had mentioned that Jacoby didn't do the QB many favors by not consistently attacking the ball.

It made the QB look bad. You've got this WR sitting there wide open and the ball falls to his feet or sails over his head.

At least, that's the way it looked to me. Matt was never as inaccurate with any other receiver as he was throwing to Jacoby.

That was on Matt. I disagree that he mostly did that to Jacoby. Go back and look at some of the games. He was doing that more often than usual. I can remember a few throws just off hand that he threw in the dirt to Andre and OD. He was making poor throws to everyone on occasion. Matt was having a good year because he was making more big plays. His completion percentage was the lowest that it's been since he's been a Texan. As a matter of fact the only years that his completion percentage was lower was his first two years in the league.

Matt wasn't all that accurate last year, but he and the team were just exploding for bigger plays.

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Timing throw doesn't mean you're throwing to spots.

Think about all the throws where the QB throws the ball before the player turns around or makes his cut. The receiver turns around and the ball is there. Our QB/Receivers do that a lot. Those plays aren't about the receiver getting open, the QB spotting him, and throwing him the ball; it's about the QB reading reading the defense which tells him which receiver should be open and then throwing the ball to the place where that receiver should be. When the QB and the receiver are on different pages, the receiver runs one route and the QB throws to the spot for another route and the ball hits the ground with nary a soul around.

That's what I'm talking about. It's up to the receiver to be at a certain spot at a certain time. He's got to fight through whatever the defense throws at him. The defense jams the receiver in an attempt to disrupt the timing. You hear that over and over again. Disrupt the timing, disrupt the timing.

Now, maybe when they're saying 'disrupt the timing' everyone is using the term wrong but whatever, a lot of our offense is based on the receivers to getting to certain points and running along certain lines at certain times. The QB reads the defense and from those keys determines which one is going to be open. Then, based on his footwork, he gets the ball out to the guy whose route is supposed to be open and he throws the ball to where that receiver is supposed to be.

Not ALL of our offense is that way. There are plays where the QB goes back and surveys the field and then throws it to the open guy. But a lot of our offense is about being in the right place at the right time. And Jacoby wasn't there and when he was there, he frequently didn't make the play.

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
duplicate.

IDEXAN
05-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I say good luck to Jacobey except when he's in Houston next year for our big rematch with the Ravens, he needed a change of pace and a new opportunity.
Look how well that worked out for Jason Allen when he came to Houston after being a first round pick and then being cut by Miami.

Rey
05-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Think about all the throws where the QB throws the ball before the player turns around or makes his cut.

Right, but the QB still has to identify the target and throw a catchable ball. Think about the trajectory of a thrown football. If a ball lands a receivers and you are saying the QB though the receiver would be closer, he'd have had to think the guy was going to be about 10-15 yards closer. An uncatchable ball at a receivers feet?

Even if the receiver is running his route and is off by 3 or 5 yards the ball should still be at his knees or basically within a catchable range.

If a QB is throwing balls at a receivers feet, or too far over his head that's on the QB. If we're talking about a few yards that could possibly be on the receiver.

I could see if it was just to Jacoby, but it wasn't. I can vividly recall throws into the dirt to every major receiver except Dreesen, Casey and Foster.

I don't see how you can just look at poorly thrown balls and just say that the receiver ran a bad route. Just because it was Jacoby that the poorly thrown ball was thrown to?

What about the low throws to everyone else? The game against the Charges last year when AJ kicked the ball up after a low throw...was that because AJ didn't run his route right? Or because the throw was a little low?

Like I said, accuracy wise, last year was a down year for Matt. Had he been hitting on a higher percentage of his passes and stayed healthy all year we'd have won the superbowl hands down. We had a pretty good shot if he'd have just stayed healthy but if he had been completing a higher percentage of his passes no doubt in my mind we'd have won 14 games AND the superbowl. Period.

But his percentages were down and really the numbers just confirm what I was seeing with my eyes.

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2012, 01:28 PM
But his percentages were down and really the numbers just confirm what I was seeing with my eyes.

I think you're taking this into a totally different place than I am.

I'm not saying that Matt always put the ball to the right place. I'm not saying his accuracy last year was as good as it had been in the past.

I'm saying that a much higher percentage of throws were "off" to Jacoby than to other people. That's what I saw and have seen for years... not just last year. ALL of the blame for that can't go on Matt especially if it really is a higher percentage of those bad targets going to Jacoby.

Once I get a free moment, I'll see if I can find target vs. catch statistics to verify.

But I believe that's why Jacoby never got the number of targets we would have expected when he subbed for AJ. Matt didn't trust him to be where he was supposed to be.

Dutchrudder
05-09-2012, 01:47 PM

I'm not saying that Matt always put the ball to the right place. I'm not saying his accuracy last year was as good as it had been in the past.

I'm saying that a much higher percentage of throws were "off" to Jacoby than to other people. That's what I saw and have seen for years... not just last year. ALL of the blame for that can't go on Matt especially if it really is a higher percentage of those bad targets going to Jacoby.

Once I get a free moment, I'll see if I can find target vs. catch statistics to verify.

But I believe that's why Jacoby never got the number of targets we would have expected when he subbed for AJ. Matt didn't trust him to be where he was supposed to be.

Remember the Raiders game we lost at home? Jacoby caught 1 of 11 passes that day.

GP
05-09-2012, 01:52 PM

All I remember seeing is Jacoby unable to jump high enough to catch a pass as well as not being able to dive low enough to catch a pass.

If he cuts on his route too early, the ball is over his head. We all have seen this. Jacoby leaping high and not able to even come close to the ball. it's because he went into his cut too soon when he should have taken one more step.

If he cuts too late, the ball ended up in the dirt. Why? Because he wasn't in the right spot at the right time.

Jacoby's route running, while he has had some people in the Texans organization stick up for him, is not good. It's inconsistent just like his hands and just like his punt fielding decision making.

Everything about him is inconsistent and that gets you in hot water in the NFL. He has the talent attributes teams want, but the inconsistency issue is what hurts him AND his team.

Notice there was no Blurbsdale College WR taken this year. Kubiak is not going to take a risk on another Jacoby again. That ship has sailed. The Amobi Okoye ship, similar to the Jacoby ship, sailed too. The Texans are beginning to settle down and just take players who have consistent tape and are not projects to shape up and show how awesome we are at finding hidden gems.

GP
05-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Remember the Raiders game we lost at home? Jacoby caught 1 of 11 passes that day.

My only Texans game. Yeah, I remember it well.

1 of 11. That was the day I knew the JJ experiment was over. You can't be called upon and perform 1 of 11 like that.

No way in hell was Schaub THAT off that he missed Jacoby 10 times.

Jacoby was all over the place and unfortunately never in the right area to get the pass from Schaub. Sailed over his head, hit two yards in front of him, etc. I had a lot of time on the flight back to think about it. That was the day I begin contemplating that it might just be Jacoby's route running that was the key to his problems for so long. I played back his plays in my head on that flight back, and I think I got on the message board and started posting about my thoughts on that topic.

Goldensilence
05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
All I remember seeing is Jacoby unable to jump high enough to catch a pass as well as not being able to dive low enough to catch a pass.

If he cuts on his route too early, the ball is over his head. We all have seen this. Jacoby leaping high and not able to even come close to the ball. it's because he went into his cut too soon when he should have taken one more step.

If he cuts too late, the ball ended up in the dirt. Why? Because he wasn't in the right spot at the right time.

Jacoby's route running, while he has had some people in the Texans organization stick up for him, is not good. It's inconsistent just like his hands and just like his punt fielding decision making.

Everything about him is inconsistent and that gets you in hot water in the NFL. He has the talent attributes teams want, but the inconsistency issue is what hurts him AND his team.

Notice there was no Blurbsdale College WR taken this year. Kubiak is not going to take a risk on another Jacoby again. That ship has sailed. The Amobi Okoye ship, similar to the Jacoby ship, sailed too. The Texans are beginning to settle down and just take players who have consistent tape and are not projects to shape up and show how awesome we are at finding hidden gems.

Yep, no more Molden's or Jones high anymore. I don't think I or many would've been as hard if he had been drafted in the 5 round or lower.

I hope Jones does well in Baltimore when we don't have to play them. If he does develop into something much better than what we saw here, props to him and the staff there. He's just not going to do it here.

Rey
05-09-2012, 02:18 PM

I'm saying that a much higher percentage of throws were "off" to Jacoby than to other people.

I think we are in agreement kind of except what you are attributing to route running I am attributing to Jacoby's lack of hands and failure to consistently attack the ball.

When the ball is thrown you should attack it. Go to it. You don't wait on it. Jacoby did a poor job of that. There were some throws that were a little off, but Jacoby didn't have good enough hands to consistently pull those balls in. Not many spectacular catches in his resume.

If he wasn't clearly open and the ball wasn't right on him he had trouble making the catch. And I think that is why Matt didn't trust him all that much.

But his route running? I just don't think that was a huge issue....JMO..

I just can't see the Texans staff and Kubiak letting him run sloppy routes. That's like the first thing you work on. I'm not saying he was a great route runner, but I don't think that bad route running is what kept him from being successful.

Here is a link to targets and receptions: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets/league/afc/qualified/false/count/41

Most of the Texans receivers are on the second page. OD is on the first page I think .

OD: 54 Receptions, 84 Targets = 64%
AF: 53, 71 = 74%
JJ: 31, 64 = 48%
KW: 39, 59 = 66%
AJ: 33, 51 = 64%
JD: 28, 39 = 71%
JC: 18, 24 = 75%
BT: 13, 19 = 68%

GP
05-09-2012, 02:29 PM
I just can't see the Texans staff and Kubiak letting him run sloppy routes. That's like the first thing you work on.

Oh, I imagine in practices he runs crisp routes and all that jazz.

Come game time, though, he is off the reservation BIG TIME. Not because he wants to, but because he's trying so hard to make the big play and to turn it all loose (contrast this with practice when there's no pressure like you get in a game).

It's the consistency stuff again. He can't replicate it on a consistent basis. He seems to be very dynamic and not very stable with his on-the-field behaviors. This is why he fields punts on a bounce with two gunners in his face, swings the ball out to the side (away from body) wildly all the time.

He's just not a technically sound player at all.

paycheck71
05-09-2012, 03:04 PM
The only good thing I remember JJ do last year is the TD pass he caught in Baltimore in the regular season. Other than that I remember dropped passes, bad route running, and the punt fumble.

I was rooting for him, I really was, but it was time for him to go. I wish him well, except for when he plays the Texans.

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I think we are in agreement kind of except what you are attributing to route running I am attributing to Jacoby's lack of hands and failure to consistently attack the ball.

When the ball is thrown you should attack it. Go to it. You don't wait on it. Jacoby did a poor job of that. There were some throws that were a little off, but Jacoby didn't have good enough hands to consistently pull those balls in. Not many spectacular catches in his resume.

If he wasn't clearly open and the ball wasn't right on him he had trouble making the catch. And I think that is why Matt didn't trust him all that much.

But his route running? I just don't think that was a huge issue....JMO..

I just can't see the Texans staff and Kubiak letting him run sloppy routes. That's like the first thing you work on. I'm not saying he was a great route runner, but I don't think that bad route running is what kept him from being successful.

Here is a link to targets and receptions: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets/league/afc/qualified/false/count/41

Most of the Texans receivers are on the second page. OD is on the first page I think .

OD: 54 Receptions, 84 Targets = 64%
AF: 53, 71 = 74%
JJ: 31, 64 = 48%
KW: 39, 59 = 66%
AJ: 33, 51 = 64%
JD: 28, 39 = 71%
JC: 18, 24 = 75%
BT: 13, 19 = 68%

Yeah, see, I attribute a large part of that difference in target to catch to his route running. Sure, his hands weren't great and that contributes but all those balls at his feet or sailing over his head... those look like poor routes to me.

I'm sure the coaches continually got onto him about it but he never got it.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree at this point, though.

SW H-TOWN
05-09-2012, 04:45 PM

LMAO!

On an unrelated note Ozzie Newsome just got caught smoking crack with Marion Barry in a hotel room...What was Ozzie thinking, 3.5m per year. Make him pee in a cup please.

thunderkyss
05-09-2012, 09:34 PM

I agree. You've got a QB that openly admits to underthrowing his receivers, but we want to believe Jacoby is a bad route runner.

I'm anxious to see what he does with a big arm QB.

Dutchrudder
05-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I agree. You've got a QB that openly admits to underthrowing his receivers, but we want to believe Jacoby is a bad route runner.

I'm anxious to see what he does with a big arm QB.

Wtf? Schaub has admitted to preferring to under throw the deep passes of (30+ yards), not every freaking throw. The majority of JJs targets were under 20 yards, and Those are mostly timing routes. You have to be willfully ignorant or Jacobys mom to think Schaub is under throwing the short routes.

thunderkyss
05-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Wtf? Schaub has admitted to preferring to under throw the deep passes of (30+ yards), not every freaking throw. The majority of JJs targets were under 20 yards, and Those are mostly timing routes. You have to be willfully ignorant or Jacobys mom to think Schaub is under throwing the short routes.

All the same, there ain't nothing wrong with Jacoby's route running.

infantrycak
05-10-2012, 12:11 AM
All the same, there ain't nothing wrong with Jacoby's route running.

Whatever you say. Schaub has been visibly upset on the field and on the sidelines with JJ on several occasions. Simple things like cutting a route in what looks like text book fashion at 8 yards instead of 12 result in balls that look high and/or behind. The route isn't just the shape and cut it is the placement.

Rey
05-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Whatever you say. Schaub has been visibly upset on the field and on the sidelines with JJ on several occasions. Simple things like cutting a route in what looks like text book fashion at 8 yards instead of 12 result in balls that look high and/or behind. The route isn't just the shape and cut it is the placement.

I've seen kubiak upset with schaub a few times too.

Blake
05-10-2012, 08:52 AM

Schaub has a million and one things to consider. He is going to make a few mistakes. Jacoby has 3 things to do. Run the rote is #1 and he cant even do that correctly.

Not sure why people are defending his route running when its been an OBVIOUS problem since he has been here.

Rey
05-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Schaub has a million and one things to consider. He is going to make a few mistakes. Jacoby has 3 things to do. Run the rote is #1 and he cant even do that correctly.

Not sure why people are defending his route running when its been an OBVIOUS problem since he has been here.

I'm not defending his route running.

What I'm saying is that I don't think or know if it is a problem. Schaub throwing balls in the dirt is not evidence.

As far as Schaub having a lot of things to consider, that's not really relevant as we are not talking magnitude of mistakes. We are talking about mistakes being made period.

If you ask me who is more valuable to the team and who's mistakes could I live with more, it's Schaub.

drs23
05-10-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm not defending his route running.

What I'm saying is that I don't think or know if it is a problem. Schaub throwing balls in the dirt is not evidence.

As far as Schaub having a lot of things to consider, that's not really relevant as we are not talking magnitude of mistakes. We are talking about mistakes being made period.

If you ask me who is more valuable to the team and who's mistakes could I live with more, it's Schaub.

If it's not evidence, then why did Jacoby get dirt darts or the ball over his head and the ball was on the other receivers?

Rey
05-10-2012, 09:54 AM
If it's not evidence, then why did Jacoby get dirt darts or the ball over his head and the ball was on the other receivers?

I call that selective memory.

Schaub has thrown balls in the dirt to more guys than just Jacoby, but that wasn't my point.

My point is that a ball going in the dirt doesn't mean a receiver ran his route wrong. That could be the case, but there are other possibilities and I thinik that it's just gotten so popular around here to say "Jacoby is a bad route runner", now everyone says it and I don't know if that's true.

The pass that Schaub threw to Andre against the Chargers a couple years ago was too low and Andre couldn't hold on to it. He ended up kicking it up in the air and it was a pick. Was that a poor route by Andre or just not a great throw by Schaub?

My guess is that if that was Jacoby then it would have been said it was a poor route.

Listen, I don't even care about Jacoby. I don't think he was a good receiver, but not because his route running was horrendous. I don't think he was a great route runner, but I don't think it was this huge problem that everyone is making it out to be.

And this is not me crucifying Schaub either. All QB's make bad throws on occasion.

thunderkyss
05-10-2012, 10:46 AM

& there's no way we can know if he was supposed to cut it off @ 8 or 12.

He sees less snaps than KDub, as Walter is our #2 receiver, has been since he's been here. He gets more targets. For whatever the reason, his completion percentage is lower.

If this "argument" was objective & purely about his performance, we should have equal concerns about Walter who was getting paid more than Jj & was the actual #2 receiver. Instead of asking Jj to step up & be the #1 when Aj is out, what's wrong with asking where KDub is?

Let's say you're right & Jj has a problem running routes. That's an issue & needs to be fixed, worthy of discussing on a message board.

But why aren't we complaining about a WR that can't get open?

You can praise KDub for his blocking ability, but he's a WR & I saw Jj blocking downfield on all of Foster's big runs, so Jj is doing pretty well in that aspect.

So, until we see some balance about the poor Houston WRs, I'm not going to give any credence to any argument about Jacoby's route running. Without that balance, it's made up BS to kick a man while he's down.

Look, I'm going to go out on a limb here & tell you all what I think about Jacoby Jones & why he wasn't successful here. I guarantee Jacoby Jones will have a better year than Robert Meachum.

Guarantee.

I'm not saying anything bad about Schaub in particular, he's a fine QB, one of the best in the league. But Jacoby is not a very well rounded receiver. The thing he excels at can not be taken advantage of here in Houston.

thunderkyss
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM

I'll say this, most good accurate QBs will try to put the ball in a place that makes it easier for the receiver to make a play on the ball, or difficult for the defender to make a play on the ball.

He makes these decisions on the fly & it's always different. Every route, every coverage, every defender, every receiver.

Most likely he threw it in the dirt in front of Jj for this reason, or wide, or deep, thinking he's giving Jj an opportunity. & for whatever reason, Jj didn't "go for it"

I find that more plausible than this "poor route running" thing that seems to have gained some momentum on this board.

I criticize Schaub for the same thing. When Aj is even, he's leaving. The ball should be thrown out ahead of him, if there is no deep help. But Schaub will watch & wait, & watch, & throw. By then, Aj/Jj has already outrun his arm.

It's pretty bad, imo, on the bootlegs. Yes, Matt has a great fake, yes, he makes good reads, but it takes him so long to get around that Jj & Aj, even KDub sometimes out runs his arm.

These guys are breaking wide open with nothing but green in front of them. If Schaub can get the ball ahead of them, they're 20+ yard plays if not TDs. But it takes him so long to get around that he underthrows the receivers (on purpose).

Now, I know there's some stat out there that probably says we had more 20+ yard plays than most teams. I think that's irrelevant. If we had 50, we should have had 100 & Aj should have averaged a dozen TDs over the last 6 years.

I'm not blaming Jacoby's misfortunes on anyone else. He's a talented mofo, & it's up to him to make the most of it. I don't believe he has. He's made mistakes that are unexplainable. He hasn't made the plays when we needed him to as consistently as we need him to.

All I'm saying is this argument about his route running is bull.

Texan_Bill
05-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Kubiak is known to be hard on his quarterbacks.

Signed,

Sage Rosenfels.

Goldensilence
05-10-2012, 12:45 PM
& there's no way we can know if he was supposed to cut it off @ 8 or 12.

He sees less snaps than KDub, as Walter is our #2 receiver, has been since he's been here. He gets more targets. For whatever the reason, his completion percentage is lower.

If this "argument" was objective & purely about his performance, we should have equal concerns about Walter who was getting paid more than Jj & was the actual #2 receiver. Instead of asking Jj to step up & be the #1 when Aj is out, what's wrong with asking where KDub is?

Let's say you're right & Jj has a problem running routes. That's an issue & needs to be fixed, worthy of discussing on a message board.

But why aren't we complaining about a WR that can't get open?

You can praise KDub for his blocking ability, but he's a WR & I saw Jj blocking downfield on all of Foster's big runs, so Jj is doing pretty well in that aspect.

So, until we see some balance about the poor Houston WRs, I'm not going to give any credence to any argument about Jacoby's route running. Without that balance, it's made up BS to kick a man while he's down.

Look, I'm going to go out on a limb here & tell you all what I think about Jacoby Jones & why he wasn't successful here. I guarantee Jacoby Jones will have a better year than Robert Meachum.

Guarantee.

I'm not saying anything bad about Schaub in particular, he's a fine QB, one of the best in the league. But Jacoby is not a very well rounded receiver. The thing he excels at can not be taken advantage of here in Houston.

What's the bet he doesn't? Because I'm willing to bet on Meachem being at least the #2 in the San Diego offense was a quarterback that is 3x better than Flacco in Rivers. Meachem in the last 3 years has solidly out performed Jones in every category.

Goldensilence
05-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Kubiak is known to be hard on his quarterbacks.

Signed,

Sage Rosenfels.

Just don't put that in all caps. We know how Sage feels about yelling.

thunderkyss
05-10-2012, 04:07 PM
What's the bet he doesn't? Because I'm willing to bet on Meachem being at least the #2 in the San Diego offense was a quarterback that is 3x better than Flacco in Rivers. Meachem in the last 3 years has solidly out performed Jones in every category.

Name it.

Meachum has had a QB for the last 3 years that has less restrictions than Jacoby has. & Meachum was their #2, he got more snaps than Jacoby so his numbers should be better anyway.

I don't like Meachum (if you can't tell). & I think Jacoby will outperform him as the #3 WR in Baltimore, because of Flacco's big arm & their propensity to go deep.

Meachum is simply not that good.

IMO of course.

Blake
05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
What's the bet he doesn't?

Name it.

This is gettin good!

:popcorn:

Wolf6151
05-10-2012, 05:00 PM
I wish Jacoby all the best except when the Ravens play the Texans and hope that a change of scenery will do him some good.

drs23
05-10-2012, 05:07 PM
I call that selective memory.

It's by no means, in any shape, form or fashion selective memory Rey. It's what I saw with my own two eyes over quite a period of time. I've only been fortunate enough to attend 7 Texans games over the last two years but I can see alot more in the stadium than I do on TV, even if it is a wide flat screen in Hi-Def. I could SEE where Jones rounded off his routes as opposed to other receivers planting a foot and breaking sharply. Guess what happened then? I'll tell ya, the ball was there or placed where they're able to make a play on it as opposed to it sailing over their head or skipping off the turf. Nothing selective about it. Quite the opposite. Very clear and unforgettable. After seeing it enough times in the Raider's game last year, I told my wife: This game's gone. That sorry SOB can't catch a fkn cold. WE LOST.

Schaub has thrown balls in the dirt to more guys than just Jacoby, but that wasn't my point.

Sure he has. But no where near the percentages that included a route ran by the former #12.

My point is that a ball going in the dirt doesn't mean a receiver ran his route wrong. That could be the case, but there are other possibilities and I thinik that it's just gotten so popular around here to say "Jacoby is a bad route runner", now everyone says it and I don't know if that's true.

See first response. To the last sentence: I'm not parroting what other folks are saying, I'm stating what I saw with my own eyes WAY too many times and I AM sure it's true.

The pass that Schaub threw to Andre against the Chargers a couple years ago was too low and Andre couldn't hold on to it. He ended up kicking it up in the air and it was a pick. Was that a poor route by Andre or just not a great throw by Schaub?

That particular pass wasn't one of Matt's better throws. We've all watched games where Matt threw one of his patented 'OMG WTF was he thinking' throws though I don't include those in what I saw #12 deliver with amazing repeatability.

My guess is that if that was Jacoby then it would have been said it was a poor route.

Listen, I don't even care about Jacoby. I don't think he was a good receiver, but not because his route running was horrendous. I don't think he was a great route runner, but I don't think it was this huge problem that everyone is making it out to be.

Then I suppose this is really the main thing we're in disagreement about.

And this is not me crucifying Schaub either. All QB's make bad throws on occasion.

Agreed.

3 characters. :)

BullBlitz
05-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Jacoby did not ever mature.....plain and simple. He had his chance last year when Dre went down....and he did not step it up..

He has issues and still has issues on and off the field.

I was pulling for Jacoby ....I have since the beginning....but even I saw the writing on the wall last season.

You cant wait on a guy forever. I personally thought he was gone before last season myself.

I really think his best years are behind him.

Yeah, yeah, people said the same thing about Jason Babin. Sometimes a change of teams is all it takes.

The Pencil Neck
05-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Yeah, yeah, people said the same thing about Jason Babin. Sometimes a change of teams is all it takes.

And in Babin's case, it took four changes of teams (Houston to Seattle, Seattle to Kansas City, Kansas City to Philly, Philly to Tennessee) and he's on his fifth change now (Tennessee back to Philly).

Whew.

Hopefully Jacoby can get it together before that.

Vinny
05-11-2012, 12:22 AM
some guys are late bloomers. Houston teams were known for giving away guys like Joe Morgan at age 25 because he hit .236 Many more examples, but that's sports.

I doubt Jacoby will become a star like Joe Morgan, but stuff happens.

Goldensilence
05-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Name it.

Meachum has had a QB for the last 3 years that has less restrictions than Jacoby has. & Meachum was their #2, he got more snaps than Jacoby so his numbers should be better anyway.

I don't like Meachum (if you can't tell). & I think Jacoby will outperform him as the #3 WR in Baltimore, because of Flacco's big arm & their propensity to go deep.

Meachum is simply not that good.

IMO of course.

Sig or Avatar bet? If I wasn't in EP (but that's going to change after this summer) I would make it a six pack.

To me it's not about whether or not I think Jacoby is good WR or not, not that I think he is at any rate, but I just don't think in Baltimore he's going to get a lot of targets as the third WR. Ray Rice by far is the focal point of that offense, though I think far as the WR goes Smith is going to get more targets this coming year.

I think Meachem is an ok #2 WR and he's going to San Diego where he's got a pretty darn good QB in Rivers and an offense that is more predicated to throwing the ball. He's also going to get the targets that Jackson had and I just think he has better hands than Jones does.

I don't think it's going to be real close.

BullBlitz
05-11-2012, 07:03 PM
And in Babin's case, it took four changes of teams (Houston to Seattle, Seattle to Kansas City, Kansas City to Philly, Philly to Tennessee) and he's on his fifth change now (Tennessee back to Philly).

Whew.

Hopefully Jacoby can get it together before that.

Yes, hopefully by October when we play them.

JPPT1974
05-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Well it could had been for like a five-year extension or something. But Ravens seem to want to play it cautious with him for two-years and $7M. Not bad money though.:scarygirl:

thunderkyss
05-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Sig or Avatar bet? If I wasn't in EP (but that's going to change after this summer) I would make it a six pack.

I'm not much of a beer drinker anyway. We'll make it a sig bet, I'm sure FalseStart could come up with something worthy.

False Start
05-13-2012, 07:00 PM
I was bored a few hours ago, and went over to the Ravens.com forums (http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/). I got some good laughs out of their fans responses to their team signing Jacoby.

Here is the thread (http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/46792-jacoby-jones-signs-with-ravens/), just in case some folks haven't seen it yet.

Ozzie, I don't ask for much from you, except to trade up for Floyd, but please dont make this move. He was our 12th... 13th man after you count the fans last year in the playoffs, we already have a fumbling special teamer/unused receiver in David Reed

:littlelol: :kubepalm:

CloakNNNdagger
05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
some guys are late bloomers. Houston teams were known for giving away guys like Joe Morgan at age 25 because he hit .236 Many more examples, but that's sports.

I doubt Jacoby will become a star like Joe Morgan, but stuff happens.

A flying pig comes to mind.:)

disaacks3
05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Yes, hopefully by October when we play them. How much fun would it be to see Braman light up Jacoby on a return? Or Cushing on a crossing route? :kitten:

Playoffs
05-14-2012, 12:23 PM
I was bored a few hours ago, and went over to the Ravens.com forums (http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/). I got some good laughs out of their fans responses to their team signing Jacoby.

Here is the thread (http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/46792-jacoby-jones-signs-with-ravens/), just in case some folks haven't seen it yet. They should be happy. Their WR corps is weak.

Dutchrudder
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
They should be happy. Their WR corps is weak.

The problem is that the Ravens are at or above the cap, and they have guys like Flacco and Ray Rice that need to be extended. Rice is currently under the franchise tag for the year, and they need to work out a long term deal with him, probably along the lines of what Foster got.

Any way you slice it, 2 years 7 million is too much for Jacoby.

Goldensilence
05-14-2012, 01:36 PM
The problem is that the Ravens are at or above the cap, and they have guys like Flacco and Ray Rice that need to be extended. Rice is currently under the franchise tag for the year, and they need to work out a long term deal with him, probably along the lines of what Foster got.

Any way you slice it, 2 years 7 million is too much for Jacoby.

Ravens are going to be in a tough situation with Joe Flacco. He's a capable starter, but I don't think he's proven he be the type of QB to put the team on his shoulders in crunch time often. Question they'll have to answer is do they want to pay that kind of cash for him?

I'm thinking this is why Jones managed to fleece Newsome. He's desperate to see FLacco take that next step or else....they're going to have to start over at QB. Of course I think there was much better options to improve your WR staff.

Getting something worked out with Rice is a no brainer. He IS the Ravens offense.

Dutchrudder
05-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Ravens are going to be in a tough situation with Joe Flacco. He's a capable starter, but I don't think he's proven he be the type of QB to put the team on his shoulders in crunch time often. Question they'll have to answer is do they want to pay that kind of cash for him?

I'm thinking this is why Jones managed to fleece Newsome. He's desperate to see FLacco take that next step or else....they're going to have to start over at QB. Of course I think there was much better options to improve your WR staff.

Getting something worked out with Rice is a no brainer. He IS the Ravens offense.

I personally don't like Flacco that much as a QB, but great QBs are so difficult to find that when a team gets a good/decent QB like a Romo, Schaub or Flacco, they are better off sticking with them. Flacco is in the last year of his rookie deal, and he's scheduled to make about 8.8 million this year. He likely will get about 12-15 million a year (slightly more than Mark Sanchez money) with an extension, but that's a lot of money to tie up going forward. Money that may require letting players go. I think the Jacoby signing is a poor move on their part, as I don't think he's worth the money, nor do I think he will be a capable #3 WR in their offense. Their TEs Dickson and Pitta really shined last year and came up big, so much like the Texans, the #3 WR is a truly the 5th or 6th option in the passing game. 7 million is too much for a guy who will probably get 20-30 targets and be a punt returner.

Wolf
06-02-2012, 08:08 PM
On May 1, 2012, Jones was released by the Texans. He was subsequently signed by Baltimore and participated in his first OTA with the team this week. Jones, being one of the teams bigger free agent signings this off season, had the spotlight upon him in his first practice and seemed a bit shaky at times, dropping several passes from new quarterback Joe Flacco.

"Jacoby Jones had a rough day as far as catching the football," added RavensInsider Aaron Wilson.

WBALís Gerry Sandusky. "Jacoby Jones still has consistency issues catching."

It may just be a case of him pressing too hard in his first practice with his new team. Last season's rookie sensation Torrey Smith had a rough first training camp and preseason before he decided to light the world on fire. Jones, however has a track record from Houston of, well, not making the big plays when needed.

Of course the emphasis of why he was brought in is his return ability on special teams. So as long as he hold onto the ball there maybe he can play up to par of his slightly hefty contract.

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2012/6/1/3055334/jacoby-jones-off-to-shaky-start

GP
06-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Jones, being one of the teams bigger free agent signings this off season, had the spotlight upon him in his first practice and seemed a bit shaky at times, dropping several passes from new quarterback Joe Flacco.

"Jacoby Jones had a rough day as far as catching the football," added RavensInsider Aaron Wilson.

WBALís Gerry Sandusky. "Jacoby Jones still has consistency issues catching."

Ravens scouting department: :sos:

Mr. White
06-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Baltimore is the wrong place to be if you're a receiver that wants to get the ball.

Should be right up Jacoby's alley.

Rey
06-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Wow...

They're comparing Jacoby to a rookie...

eriadoc
06-03-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm SHOCKED!

LMAO

The Pencil Neck
06-03-2012, 03:31 AM
I'm still hoping for all the best for Jacoby.

But I did LOL when I read this.

GP
06-03-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm still hoping for all the best for Jacoby.

But I did LOL when I read this.

Well, I hear ya...but "You can crap in one hand and try to catch the football in the other...and see which one fills up first."

steelbtexan
06-03-2012, 10:41 AM
But... But... Jacoby has potential for greatness. LOL

Double Barrel
06-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Of course the emphasis of why he was brought in is his return ability on special teams.

I have never seen a better sideline-to-sideline punt returner. :panic:

Shaft75
06-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Ran into Vonta Leach yesterday while waiting for the valet at the Doubletree in NOLA. Let him know he's still welcome back in Houston, but Jacoby would have to stay in Baltimore. Which, in hindsight, was a really dumb thing to say, but I was working off a mean hangover and like 3 hours of sleep.

He then let's me know he's in town for JJ's football camp, and Jacoby bursts right through the door, jumps in their suburban and they take off. We were like 20 deep with the bachelor party group, so everyone got a kick out of it.

We also told the valet guy who it was and it was a good thing he didn't try to throw him the keys lol.