PDA

View Full Version : An end to football?

Ranger Tom
05-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Some of you may have seen this article already, and I apologize if it's been posted here before.

The NFL is done for the year, but it is not pure fantasy to suggest that it may be done for good in the not-too-distant future. How might such a doomsday scenario play out and what would be the economic and social consequences?

By now we're all familiar with the growing phenomenon of head injuries and cognitive problems among football players, even at the high school level. In 2009, Malcolm Gladwell asked whether football might someday come to an end, a concern seconded recently by Jonah Lehrer.

Link (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7559458/cte-concussion-crisis-economic-look-end-football)

HJam72
05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Take the helmets you have now and add a bunch of soft padding (like what's on the inside) on the OUTSIDE OF THEM. It will look stupid, but it will solve a lot of problems.

The Pencil Neck
05-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Real football ended in 1905.

At that time, the government got the leaders of American Football together (Harvard, Yale, and... some other university) and forced them to change the rules so that less people would get killed. IIRC, they had over 10 guys dying playing football per year and although the public loved to watch football games, people weren't letting their kids play it.

So they changed the rules and removed some of the violence from it. It cleaned the game up.

The addition of helmets and pads later in the 20's and 30's was about the same thing: player safety.

The game did OK after that.

I have no doubt that in 20 years, we'll be watching a very different game than what we're watching today. And us old people will whine and moan about how much better it was in our day but unless the NFL screws up something royally (which is possible considering how popular boxing was in the 1900's and how it fell out of favor), we'll still be watching football.

badboy
05-07-2012, 01:27 PM
NFL isn't going anywhere. Too much money. They need to improve safety features and protect players such as WR & QB and linemen from cut blocks even if legal & Texans do it. Usually, when a player is calling the game "soft, it is a defensive player who is hitting. More info about how defensive player are getting hurt too needs to be publicised.

Football can be rough without being stupid. Fans need to shut up and watch or go join a league if their fat bodies and high school "skills" can even get them on a roster. I don't watch a car race to see a guy burn to death nor do I watch basketball or NFL to see guys carted off field. It is a game not combat.

gary
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
I would not be shocked and I have said this before.

Honoring Earl 34
05-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Head injuries would go down if everyone wore a helmet like this .

http://www.helmethut.com/t1.jpg

HJam72
05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Head injuries would go down if everyone wore a helmet like this .

http://www.helmethut.com/t1.jpg

Dunta would just aim his head/spear for the face. :fingergun:

GP
05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Here's the headline from a March 23, 2033 newspaper:

NFL Closes Its Doors. No Longer In Business.

Here's another headline from a July 2, 2037 newspaper:

Madden 38 Video Game To Hit Stores Aug 15.

LOL. Madden geeks will still buy the game. Bank on it.

HJam72
05-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Nah, we'll have robots playing by then. :gun:

Honoring Earl 34
05-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Dunta would just aim his head/spear for the face. :fingergun:

He might until he knocks his own teeth out .

eriadoc
05-07-2012, 01:46 PM
To me, this is the best argument for cleaning up the steroid/hGH use that's going on in the NFL. If you had today's safety equipment and measures and independent doctors instead of team doctors, that would be sufficient in a world where normal sized humans. Hell, not even normal sized humans, but look at the size of players from the '50s, '60s, '70s, and even the '80s. The size/speed combo of these 'roided up bodybuilders is going to render a lot of safety equipment useless at times.

Get the drugs out of the game. Nutrition and kinesiology has advanced to the point where players are going to be bigger, stronger, and faster than the HoFers of decades past as it is. Adding in the steroids and hGH just ramps things up to the point that it will probably kill the game at some point.

Double Barrel
05-07-2012, 01:55 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa48PzpSDVcotpnfCp5CVHfZH77Bqmz itO7mSUtNYxbxz4PoW4
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT09a-lGuG8JKovGZ47AN39vp-3QVN3a3Z7Pfu0VSqPsSVkWQqfs88080o3

gary
05-07-2012, 01:57 PM
And teach basic tackling again more and more players are just lunging at heads from their feet.

Stemp
05-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Here's the headline from a March 23, 2033 newspaper:

NFL Closes Its Doors. No Longer In Business.

Here's another headline from a July 2, 2037 newspaper:

Madden 38 Video Game To Hit Stores Aug 15.

LOL. Madden geeks will still buy the game. Bank on it.

March 29, 2025
Nike unveils new uniform technology that senses two-handed "touch" to comply with new NFL rules.

Fili
05-07-2012, 04:21 PM
If the NFL does happen to change I'm making another league, The Fun League. I dream big...

The Pencil Neck
05-07-2012, 04:29 PM
If the NFL does happen to change I'm making another league, The Fun League. I dream big...

If The Fun League makes extensive use of Fun Bags, count me in.

SheTexan
05-14-2012, 12:32 PM
It will never happen, JMHO! Why? Cause there's to many guys out there who want to play the game, and will be willing to take the risk. They will tweek it, legalize it to death, make rules that piss all of us off, BUT, when all's said an done, it's much to profitable for both players and owners to eliminate it altogether. Heck, they're thinking about starting up another league during the off season. Football is here to stay! THANK goodness, cause I just don't dig baseball and basketball!

pirbroke
05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
when the world goes to ****, those of us left will bring back the old football, along with the thunderdome and many more fun activities.

TheCD
05-15-2012, 12:05 PM

The fact is that sports naturally change and evolve over time, and those that don't end up falling away. There was a time when football had no forward pass. I'm sure plenty of people were mocking about how this "changed the game for the worse" and that passing was nothing but a "gimmick". Now it is the thing people think of when you speak of football.

Football will continue to evolve until people stop watching. The NFL as it is now will surely be dramatically different 50 years from now, just like it was dramatically different 50 years ago.