PDA

View Full Version : Ravens Season off to Bad Start: Suggs Out

HoustonFrog
05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva
Wow. RT @gunitradio Vinny Cerrato reports Terrell Suggs has torn Achilles, likely out for 2012 #Ravens season. 1st reported on @1057TheFan

ckhouston
05-03-2012, 09:48 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

Awwww ....

:hurrah:

HOU-TEX
05-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Damn, they did just draft the rook from Bama. Wonder how fast he can learn...

HOU-TEX
05-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Awwww ....

WTF is this? Are you applauding injury?

GP
05-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Awwww ....

http://holzeredwardsinjurylawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/bad-idea-sign.jpg

HoustonFrog
05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Here is the capper....torn playing basketball. That is no bueno. If I guy gets hurt in football drills, etc that is fine but you see more guys doing off season things like this gut hurt. With guys banging bodies, etc..no pads..I wouldn't want my players doing it. I can see the argument both ways but don't like it.

Rey
05-03-2012, 10:06 AM
That sucks for the Ravens...

Hopefully Schaub has soaked up all of our injury karma for this upcoming season...

b0ng
05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Ball so hard university indeed.

Blake
05-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Here is the capper....torn playing basketball. That is no bueno. If I guy gets hurt in football drills, etc that is fine but you see more guys doing off season things like this gut hurt. With guys banging bodies, etc..no pads..I wouldn't want my players doing it. I can see the argument both ways but don't like it.

Basketball is an obvious choice for keeping yourself in shape. Freak accidents can happen with any type of physical activity.

Also, I wonder if Sergio Kindle plans to try and make their roster this year.

HoustonFrog
05-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Basketball is an obvious choice for keeping yourself in shape. Freak accidents can happen with any type of physical activity.

Also, I wonder if Sergio Kindle plans to try and make their roster this year.

True, but just wondering if at his age it was a smart move...30 in NFL years I mean.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva
I think this will be the go-to guy. RT @ProFootbalFocus Good news for Ravens is Pernell McPhee was a monster last year in just 364 snaps.

Premier
05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
part of the game, im sure they had no qualms playing an injury stricken texans team.. a couple of trash talking bmore fans come to mind but i'll leave it as that.. sucks for them..

Rey
05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
True, but just wondering if at his age it was a smart move...30 in NFL years I mean.

I think if his body was due for a breakdown, then it was due for a breakdown...

30 is 30.

Could have just as easily happened doing drills on the field or playing flag football to get in shape.

HoustonFrog
05-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I think if his body was due for a breakdown, then it was due for a breakdown...

30 is 30.

Could have just as easily happened doing drills on the field or playing flag football to get in shape.

Update

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
Unclear if Terrell Suggs tore Achilles playing basketball or in a conditioning test. Suggs thinks he could be back in October, per source.

CloakNNNdagger
05-03-2012, 10:36 AM
His surgery is scheduled for next week.

Playoffs
05-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Trading down and still getting Upshaw is looking fortuitous about now.

Awwww ....

:hurrah:Poor taste. Never wish harm on others.

TheCD
05-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
Unclear if Terrell Suggs tore Achilles playing basketball or in a conditioning test. Suggs thinks he could be back in October, per source.

I'm no pro athlete, but I tore my achilles in November and it still doesn't feel right. The mental aspect of tearing it alone is keeping me from pushing it too hard. He wants to be back in November, and after five months I was only ready to start beginning rehab. While I'm no professional on the matter, I would be thinking that 7-9 months would be a better target date to be back up to NFL speed (and even then we know it takes even longer to fully recover).

chicagotexan2
05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Trading down and still getting Upshaw is looking fortuitous about now.

Poor taste. Never wish harm on others.

you're right. awwwe poor t-suckle.

ckhouston
05-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Poor taste. Never wish harm on others.

Didnt "wish" anything on anyone ... you do that "before" it happens.

Im also not saying I am glad Suggs was hurt, but I am glad one of our primary challenges in the AFC has become that much less of factor. Not happy anyone was injured for the sake of injury, but I am happy that the Ravens are weaker now. If Tom Brady went down you wouldnt like it? Or if another top AFC team lost a key contributor you wouldnt look at it as a bonus for the Texans?

I am a TEXANS fan. Whatever helps us win a Super Bowl I will applaud.

Rey
05-03-2012, 11:43 AM

So if a prominent player from a top AFC team was killed in a car accident you'd applaud it because it will make it easier on us?

I understand this isn't life or death, but injury is no laughing matter either.

Plus besides that, true competitors want to play the best. I want the Texans to make it to the superbowl as bad as anyone but I won't start cheering injuries because of it.

Ryan
05-03-2012, 11:50 AM
"T-Sizzle" didn't get even close to touching Yates in the playoffs last year with Duane Brown so he wasn't much of a factor personally against us.

ckhouston
05-03-2012, 11:55 AM
So if a prominent player from a top AFC team was killed in a car accident you'd applaud it because it will make it easier on us?

Plus besides that, true competitors want to play the best. I want the Texans to make it to the superbowl as bad as anyone but I won't start cheering injuries because of it.

Get real.

Absurd question not deserving of a response.

Also reading comprehension may benefit you, as I clearly stated I was not applauding the injury itself.

HoustonFrog
05-03-2012, 11:59 AM
We will see

Rachel Nichols ‏ @Rachel__Nichols
Suggs told me reports he'll be out all season will "make it so much sweeter when I run out of that tunnel

infantrycak
05-03-2012, 12:02 PM

"T-Sizzle" didn't get even close to touching Yates in the playoffs last year with Duane Brown so he wasn't much of a factor personally against us.

Pretty sure the Ravens were glad they were facing TJ rather than Schaub.

Like ck, I am not going to applaud an injury but I am not sad a rival has been weakened.

Blake
05-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Suggs reported to have torn ACL.

Awwww ....:hurrah:

I clearly stated I was not applauding the injury itself.

You just said you will applaud anything that helps the Texans win the SB. EDIT: I see what you are saying, but at first view it looked like you were applauding the injury.

GuerillaBlack
05-03-2012, 12:05 PM

A little extreme, don't you think. My thought process was, damn sucks for the Ravens and good we don't have to face him. Don't think anyone is cheering that he is injured, but the fact that he is helps the team I'm rooting for. You should have seen opposing team's fans when the Texans were losing players.

Rey
05-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Get real.

Absurd question not deserving of a response.

Also reading comprehension may benefit you, as I clearly stated I was not applauding the injury itself.

Maybe you need to go back and read what you wrote.

Rey
05-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Pretty sure the Ravens were glad they were facing TJ rather than Schaub.

Like ck, I am not going to applaud an injury but I am not sad a rival has been weakened.

I'm pretty sure the Ravens didn't really care either way...

Of coure they felt like TJ would be an easier guy to face, but I doubt they applauded the actual injury to Schaub...

hobie
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM

Im also not saying I am glad Suggs was hurt, but I am glad one of our primary challenges in the AFC has become that much less of factor. Not happy anyone was injured for the sake of injury, but I am happy that the Ravens are weaker now. If Tom Brady went down you wouldnt like it? Or if another top AFC team lost a key contributor you wouldnt look at it as a bonus for the Texans?

I don't think player missing a season from an injury and a player getting killed are even remotely the same. Am I glad he is missing the season, you're darn right I am.. Is it too bad that he got injured, it sure is.. I can see both sides, and sure, maybe the jumping,happy emoticon was used in a wrong fashion, but I don't think he "wished" injury or that he is happy he got hurt. I also don't wish bad things on people, but since it has happened, nothing wrong for feeling good that it makes the Texans have 1 less thing to have to worry about when they play the Ravens.

Rey
05-03-2012, 12:27 PM
A little extreme, don't you think. My thought process was, damn sucks for the Ravens and good we don't have to face him. Don't think anyone is cheering that he is injured, but the fact that he is helps the team I'm rooting for.

No, it's not extreme. I took his words at face value. I even bolded the word "whatever". My point is that he would not cheer "whatever" helped the Texans. He just chose poorly to cheer an injury right now.

And then I even said that I realize it isn't life or death, but the fact is you don't cheer injuries.

You should have seen opposing team's fans when the Texans were losing players.

I don't really care what opposing fans did and really I don't care what Texan fans do which is why I'm not going to make a big thing out of this. All I'm saying is that when your first post in the thread is the smilie of a cheering person it seems as if you are applauding an injury.

GP
05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
This files under the category: Things I think, but don't outwardly express.

Everyone has a bit of opportunist in them. We're sinful humans, it's part of the gig. Outwardly expressing whatever degree of delight you have? That's where "choice" comes into play.

While I admit that my first reaction was "This might help MY team" I also had a counter-measure feeling of "That sucks that he tore his achilles." The net result is that both things cancel each other out and I therefore chose to stay classy about it.

I don't like seeing Titans fans outwardly express their happiness about our injuries, so I try to remember that when I post in the injury threads. I don't think my "grandiose" choice means the NFL world is a better place as a result, but it just helps me remember the humanity aspect of following sports. It's about me keeping clean and staying clear of the muck and the mire that sometimes pollutes sports.

Chief example: The dude who interfered with the game-deciding home run in the Cubs playoff game. Dude was savaged to the degree he had to leave the city. He's living a life of hell because of fans' inability to LET IT GO and move on. That's the muck and the mire of sports I am talking about; the inability to separate the wheat from the chaff (sp?).

Rey
05-03-2012, 12:43 PM
This files under the category: Things I think, but don't outwardly express.

Everyone has a bit of opportunist in them. We're sinful humans, it's part of the gig. Outwardly expressing whatever degree of delight you have? That's where "choice" comes into play.

While I admit that my first reaction was "This might help MY team" I also had a counter-measure feeling of "That sucks that he tore his achilles." The net result is that both things cancel each other out and I therefore chose to stay classy about it.

I don't like seeing Titans fans outwardly express their happiness about our injuries, so I try to remember that when I post in the injury threads. I don't think my "grandiose" choice means the NFL world is a better place as a result, but it just helps me remember the humanity aspect of following sports.

I guess I'm alone in that my first thought was "damn, that sucks..."

And I realize that it might help the Texans, but I still would rather he be playing than to not be...

Just like last year I would have rather Manning been playing than for him to be on the sideline...

I guess I'm just strange like that....:shrug:

Marcus
05-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Imagine if J.J. Watt tore his Achilles playing basketball.

This place wouldn't be the same again.

infantrycak
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Don't over credit yourself. Plenty of people saw the report and their first reaction was that really sucks for him. Also having an acknowledgement how it affects that teem, the conference and our team doesn't invalidate that.

Rey
05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Don't over credit yourself. Plenty of people saw the report and their first reaction was that really sucks for him. Also having an acknowledgement how it affects that teem, the conference and our team doesn't invalidate that.

Ok.

TimeKiller
05-03-2012, 12:58 PM
/thread.
Imagine if J.J. Watt tore his Achilles playing basketball.

This place wouldn't be the same again.

AHHH why would you say something like that?!?!?!

haha...j/k but the Texans probably bubble wrapped every corner in his house.

NitroGSXR
05-03-2012, 01:11 PM

Duane Brown and the line definitely handled Suggs last season. Despite that, I'm not going to discredit the Ravens defense. They have been consistently good for over 10 years. I bet they will be able to patch the defense up. Unfortunately for the Ravens, I don't believe Flacco can carry them down the stretch as he will have to step up to compensate for the loss of Suggs. Either way, that defense is going to be just fine.

Hervoyel

It's a fine line and I see what you're saying but I would have worded it more like "Whatever helps us win a Super Bowl I will not apologize for". Seriously, when other teams lose a player and in the grand scheme of things it ends up helping the Texans we're not excited about it or hoping it will happen. We are accepting of the break we've been given and hope our team can capitalize on it.

When we beat the holy feces out of Baltimore to take our first win against them and their fans start that "Well, if Suggs was playing...." crap I'm going to tell them to STFU. Just like with Manning being gone last year. Yes, the Colts were an easier team to beat without Manning but what comes around goes around. The Texans were an easy win for many years when they were without..... damn near anybody. That was the Colts good fortune to be in a division with two wins per year penciled in.

You don't wish for things that weaken the opposition but you don't have to pretend that it isn't of benefit to the Texans.

Of course you shouldn't count on it either. How many times have we faced a team without an injured star and seen it blow up in our faces. Good teams pull together when a player goes down. I don't expect the Ravens to be much less trouble without Suggs. They'll compensate and hopefully we won't go into it thinking we got this or something.

GP

And I realize that it might help the Texans, but I still would rather he be playing than to not be...

Just like last year I would have rather Manning been playing than for him to be on the sideline...

I guess I'm just strange like that....:shrug:

I'm just saying that there is always a twinge of self-serving thoughts that creep into our minds. I think it's in degrees, though.

There's no way that you didn't at least ONCE think "This makes the Ravens defense less potent"...it's natural. It's the part of sports that says "pieces and cogs to the machinery play a role in the success of the whole."

I wasn't doing an inner "Yessssss!" when I read it. Actually, I recognized it as being very bad news for them. Then I thought "This makes their defense less potent, and then a bit of "This helps the Texans" mixed into it somewhere.

We're not saints or angels. Angels would have never thought it at all, and Saints would have already known he tore the achilles before anyone else did. ;)

Rey
05-03-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm just saying that there is always a twinge of self-serving thoughts that creep into our minds. I think it's in degrees, though.

There's no way that you didn't at least ONCE think "This makes the Ravens defense less potent"...it's natural. It's the part of sports that says "pieces and cogs to the machinery play a role in the success of the whole."

I wasn't doing an inner "Yessssss!" when I read it. Actually, I recognized it as being very bad news for them. Then I thought "This makes their defense less potent, and then a bit of "This helps the Texans" mixed into it somewhere.

We're not saints or angels. Angels would have never thought it at all, and Saints would have already known he tore the achilles before anyone else did. ;)

I wasn't really being critical of your post...Just adding to it...

I agree with a lot of what you're saying...

Blake
05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Anyone else see a sharp decline for the Ravens defense?

Lewis has a good chance of breaking down along with Reed. Suggs is gone. Can Kruger or Kindle replace Suggs?

ckhouston
05-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Lewis has a good chance of breaking down along with Reed. Suggs is gone. Can Kruger or Kindle replace Suggs?

I don't see anyone just stepping in and replacing Suggs, he was arguably the best player on that team.

Blake
05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't see anyone just stepping in and replacing Suggs, he was arguably the best player on that team.

Except in their playoff game against us. He was a non factor. Thanks Duane Brown!

Dutchrudder
05-04-2012, 11:24 AM

They also lost Jarret Johnson in free agency to the Chargers, so that's both of their OLBs being replaced. Johnson wasn't much of a pass rusher, but he held up on the edge against the run. Upshaw, and Paul Kruger are going to have to step up. Kruger was a 2nd round pick a couple years ago, but hasn't seen the field much behind Suggs and Johnson.