PDA

View Full Version : Did this draft FEEL different?

Goldensilence
05-02-2012, 06:40 PM
I guess the dust is settling almost a week later after the draft started. I am still soaking up the players and I have to admit...overall I am VERY pleased.

While the FO scored well in last year's draft specially at the top with Reed and Brooks, we've yet to really see what the rest will do.

This year just.. I can't explain it... it felt different. It didn't seem like they were swinging and hoping they hit.

It felt like from day one they had a draft plan and stuck to it. I can see exactly where each pick fits in with what's going on each side of the ball. They knew exactly what needed to be addressed and took guys that fit well and even scored a couple of real value picks in the process.

Did anyone else get the feeling as well that it seemed like Rick had full confidence in every move? That both sides of the ball have a system and plan in place that made it easier to identify guys who will fit well?

Rey
05-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I think Smithiak have learned from past years and are making smarter decisions. Add Wade's experience to the mix and I think what you end up with is people who know what type of player they want and go out and get them.

PapaL
05-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah we picked way later and didn't need to fill so many holes (that's what she said). I could get use to picking at the end of rounds.

Wolf
05-02-2012, 06:58 PM
They said it was a deep draft.

I have never seen such a buzz with all the UDFA that the Texans have signed, esp in this TT forum

badboy
05-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Yes. In past drafts (other than KJ and the trade downs which by passed the big running back I wanted) I felt quiet optimism. I feel resignation now. This draft did not go the way I wanted. Can it be successful? Sure. A Chevy can be successful but not as a Caddy.

Goldensilence
05-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Yes. In past drafts (other than KJ and the trade downs which by passed the big running back I wanted) I felt quiet optimism. I feel resignation now. This draft did not go the way I wanted. Can it be successful? Sure. A Chevy can be successful but not as a Caddy.

If you don't mind me asking (I'm sure you have likely answered in other threads), whats your concern with this class?

Texan_Bill
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
If you don't mind me asking (I'm sure you have likely answered in other threads), whats your concern with this class?I feel completely opposite of Badboy (no offense Badboy), but I feel that this draft class was important in the sense that other teams wanted some of our guys. We had to draft certain positions for guys that other teams coveted and took from us.

Other than Posey and maybe a handfull of others, how many other guys can we say that about??

That said, I never grade a draft class until (at a minimum halfway through the season, they were drafted).

fiasco west
05-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Simple for me.

Expectations.

Our previous drafts were guys who had to live up to some pretty high expectations.

Watt- The guy that was the new blood of what was supposed to be a revamped 3-4 defense

Kareem- Supposed to play a huge part in rebuilding the failed secondary

Cushing- Another player taken to help out a ailing defense.

Brown- Hopefully our savior at LT.

All these guys and every guy before now in the first round was taken to be a big time player in the NFL(and funny enough outside of Okoye and Kareem those other 1st rounders have been very successful) Even Tate I remember people had high expectations from and several guys in later rounds.

Mercilus doesn't have to be that. He just has to be a guy that comes in, brings some pressure every now and then. Do his role. He's not supposed to be a the face of the defense...if he does turn out to be a stud player, then great.

I mean the team does not have the need to draft pro-bowl players. Like teams drafting 1-15 do. Texans just need to add quality players, so expectations of those draft picks are not as high as they were so it's easier to feel more optimistic when you are not expecting Mercilus to be Demarcus Ware.

buddyboy
05-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Simple for me.

Expectations.

Our previous drafts were guys who had to live up to some pretty high expectations.

Watt- The guy that was the new blood of what was supposed to be a revamped 3-4 defense

All these guys and every guy before now in the first round was taken to be a big time player in the NFL(and funny enough outside of Okoye and Kareem those other 1st rounders have been very successful) Even Tate I remember people had high expectations from and several guys in later rounds.

Mercilus doesn't have to be that. He just has to be a guy that comes in, brings some pressure every now and then. Do his role. He's not supposed to be a the face of the defense...if he does turn out to be a stud player, then great.

I mean the team does not have the need to draft pro-bowl players. Like teams drafting 1-15 do. Texans just need to add quality players, so expectations of those draft picks are not as high as they were so it's easier to feel more optimistic when you are not expecting Mercilus to be Demarcus Ware.

Wow, spot on. I didn't even realize it, but the reason this draft feels so much more comfortable to me is because our team doesn't need them.

Well, obviously we need the draft, but as a whole, if our draft picks don't pan out, our team won't be in shambles. We have the talent there to play at a high level. The players we drafted were either for talent later down the road, depth, or marginal effect on this season.

GP
05-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I think propers need to be shouted out to the whole Texans organization for sticking with the plan and not freaking out.

We patiently stood our ground, added value guys every draft under Kubiak, and then the culmination was Wade Phillips entering the picture...he took what we had, added his own flavors to it, and whipped up some tasty defense in 2011.

In essence, we waited out the storm known as Peyton Manning. He's gone. Forever. Yeah, yeah...they got Andrew Luck but dudes and dudettes Andrew Luck is going to have to be AMAZING in order to put the Colts back on the map anytime soon. No run game. No o-line. Their superstar center is gone. No defense. It's Andrew Luck, Fleener, and Reggie Wayne...and that's it. We won. Ding dong the wicked witch is dead.

So now guess who remains? Us. Our guys "were" the youngest team in the league, but every year they gel and they get tighter and more polished...meanwhile, teams like the Colts who "were" veterans are now washed up and moved onto other teams to live out the last two or three years of their careers. The Titans invested their future into Vince Young, and they are barely beginning to recover from the residue of all the junk that went on there. The Jags? Dysfunctional is the name of the game for them. Their draft was awful. Not even Blackmon saves them from getting a flunking grade in that draft. New owner, new coach, an older MJD who MUST feel like God really hates him right now.

Again, this Texans team stayed quiet, stayed humble, stayed the course...and now everything has come together really well for us.

So yeah, this year's draft was only about the idea of stockpiling guys who don't have the pressure to perform immediately...but the beauty is that those guys CAN perform immediately because the pressure is not there! They know they are on one of the top 5 teams in the NFL right now. RIGHT NOW. Not "maybe we can be good and maybe I can help us be good," but instead it's a mindset of "Damn, this team is the balls. And I can just do my thing and probably succeed right there along with them!"

This is why we have to give some leash to the guys when they let go Winston, trade Ryans, and don't match Mario or Brisiel. There's a fundamental philosophy going on that teams like the Ravens and Patriots have been doing for like 10 years now. I would put Steelers and Giants into that group.

I think we'll be playing the Bengals in the AFC Championship game guys. I'm serious. I think the championship game will be a re-match of our wildcard game with the Bengals. It's going to be EPIC.

Joe Texan
05-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Yea it felt different it was a Playoff team draft, get used to it

beerlover
05-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Wow, spot on. I didn't even realize it, but the reason this draft feels so much more comfortable to me is because our team doesn't need them.

Well, obviously we need the draft, but as a whole, if our draft picks don't pan out, our team won't be in shambles. We have the talent there to play at a high level. The players we drafted were either for talent later down the road, depth, or marginal effect on this season.

Texans need them more than ever to come in a contribute & keep the trend-line headed higher, that is of course if a Super Bowl is their (our) goal? It's time to take the next step & that must come with losing Mario Williams, Joel Dreessen & Mike Brisel to Free Agency & trading DeMeco Ryans (not going to mention cutting Jacoby) really.

Point is each draft you must improve your team incrementally or fall behind the pack :club:

I'm hoping next draft I can feel different. Different because we actually won the big one :trophy:

Wolf
05-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Simple for me.

Expectations.

REP
you nailed it there.
we can give some guys some time to develop

I felt that this was a very important draft for the Texans. esp with all the free agents coming up in 2013. I probably jinxed the Texans but I feel good about this draft

buddyboy
05-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Texans need them more than ever to come in a contribute & keep the trend-line headed higher, that is of course if a Super Bowl is their (our) goal? It's time to take the next step & that must come with losing Mario Williams, Joel Dreessen & Mike Brisel to Free Agency & trading DeMeco Ryans (not going to mention cutting Jacoby) really.

Point is each draft you must improve your team incrementally or fall behind the pack :club:

I'm hoping next draft I can feel different. Different because we actually won the big one :trophy:

My point was that in previous years, we needed the draft to improve our team drastically. We needed our first, second, third, and hopefully fourth round picks to come in and make immediate IMPACTS.

This year, sure, we look to improve, but there's no need to throw the kids in the fire yet. And there's no need to hit on 100% of our picks.

beerlover
05-02-2012, 11:42 PM
My point was that in previous years, we needed the draft to improve our team drastically. We needed our first, second, third, and hopefully fourth round picks to come in and make immediate IMPACTS.

This year, sure, we look to improve, but there's no need to throw the kids in the fire yet. And there's no need to hit on 100% of our picks.

With off season loses how can you be sure of that? Not to mention injury's that will happen because you know they will!

buddyboy
05-03-2012, 12:15 AM
With off season loses how can you be sure of that? Not to mention injury's that will happen because you know they will!

As far as offseason losses go, which of the players we drafted fill a starter's void from day 1? Maybe the guard, Brooks? Maybe?

Obviously Mercilus will get his chance. But he didn't get drafted because we had a hole at OLB. In fact, he got drafted despite the depth there. The Texans had the luxury of not having to go out and get Kareem Jackson to start from day one at CB1. They had the luxury of not having to go get JJ Watt to start at DE from day one since Mario was moving to OLB. Had the luxury of not having to go get Duane Brown and hope he worked out because we had never had a left tackle who could keep the QB upright.

Sure, we lost some players in FA. But most of the replacements will be coming from in-house I believe. The FO didn't lose players and HAVE to replace them through the draft. Instead, we have players who can fill in, and, should the opportunity arise, be upgraded through the draft.

And as far as injuries go, I never said the rookies wouldn't be thrown in the fire. I simply said that unlike in past seasons, it wasn't mandatory.

drs23
05-03-2012, 12:16 AM
The Jags? Dysfunctional is the name of the game for them. Their draft was awful.

You're sooo delusional, they got a hell of a punter IN THE THIRD! :corrosion:

Goldensilence
05-03-2012, 12:25 AM

If we don't add any veterans to the WR corps... we're going to need our 3rd and 4th rounders to come in and make immediate impacts.

That said, I feel like they looked to target players at this spot who fit an idea and a role that they could succeed in.

TimeKiller
05-03-2012, 12:53 PM
The big difference to me was being a team that was successful the year before. We finally didn't play the role of some team that sucked looking for a future superstar. We were trying to build on success, keep ourselves with the big boys of the NFL world.

Mr teX
05-03-2012, 01:04 PM
it did for me in the sense that we primarily drafted for depth. in years past, we always hit the draft NEEDING to get at least 2 guys that were going to come in and start right away.

chicagotexan2
05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
ESPN broke to cheesy ass commercials every time the Texans picked. No it was just like old times.

santo
05-03-2012, 02:00 PM
ESPN broke to cheesy ass commercials every time the Texans picked. No it was just like old times.

LOL!! NFL Network did the exact same thing. I was wondering why they always went to commercial before the Texans picked.

Plus, we didn't get a good analysis for our picks like other teams did. :foottap:

speedfreek
05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
ESPN hates pretty much everything Houston (college or pro).

College Gameday came here last year, only begrudgingly..

TJ

Thorn
05-03-2012, 03:39 PM
People still watch ESPN?

welsh texan
05-03-2012, 03:46 PM
The important thing with our drafting now is to ensure that we keep up our standards. Just look at the Colts for a team that stops drafting well for a number of years, then falls off the cliff all of a sudden.

We need to pick up guys who are available to us at a late pick because they need a little time to develop, not because they are either a huge risk/lacking talent.

The Pats are another team that hasn't been drafting well of late, they've been playing that draft value chart pretty damn well, but their picks haven't been working out so well just yet. What happens to them without Brady? Little running game, receiver corps. not what it used to be, and a porous D.

The Texans have the opportunity to take the mantle in the AFC if they keep going over the next few years. But it'll take a hell of a lot of skill and plenty of luck to get there.

I like that we got guys who seem like they can contribute early and who have a chance to because well-rounded starters later down the line, thats why this draft felt so different, as others have stated.

Thorn
05-03-2012, 04:02 PM
The Texans have the opportunity to take the mantle in the AFC if they keep going over the next few years. But it'll take a hell of a lot of skill and plenty of luck to get there.

See, that's one thing some folks seem to forgot about, is the "luck" or "random" part of all this. You could "what if" yourself to death discussing the NFL.

All I know is, the Texans are heading down the right path and look good. Anything said beyond that is speculation.

chicagotexan2
05-03-2012, 04:36 PM
People still watch ESPN?

Some of us don't have a choice when the sorryass complex you live at has an exclusive deal with a schitty cable service and your unit doesn't have a clear view of the southern sky so you cant get dish or satellite and your stuck paying out the a$$ for lousy cable that is as reliable as a training bra on dolly parton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badboy
05-03-2012, 05:15 PM
If you don't mind me asking (I'm sure you have likely answered in other threads), whats your concern with this class?As 2011 season ended, most of us had identified huge needs again. Anyone thinking we were to be able to draft BPA was proved wrong and I am ok with that part; but if you are going to fill needs do it with best you can. I will be creamed for saying this but if you list our stated needs by us and Texans we have some "boy, we better be lucky" selections.

#1 need was a starting WR2 & hopefully someone who could possibly replace AJ at some point. Devier Posey? Really? This was the best we could do? Let consider something that I don't think I've seen mentioned...if the second round was as deep as almost all said (especially at WR) GM's decision was to trade out for a third and fourth? Folks will say I'm still stuck on Fleener. Well, yeah. A guy with size bigger than Andre and faster? Oh he couldn't block...well that is BS. Never said he was Walter but how is KW working out for us? What, a guy of Fleener's size can not be taught to improve his blocking? We have signed RBs with the hope we could have them block huge DLs and LBs & not get QB killed but we can't do same for 6'5" 250lb WR who might have to block down field on a corner or safety. Spin it anyway you want, that is plain goofy. Plus Coby could be day one starter at WR2 or TE2.

#2 need(debateable) OGs: RG was pretty terrible even though I cheered the toughness of Briesel. Caldwell allegedly playing on two bum sticks did little to make me think he could start. Coaches see & know more than I do. I get that; but were not most of us pleading for a starting RG as several should be available in 2nd round? Kevin Zeitler whom many said would be a 10 year starter went #27. More than one OT that could convert to OG were in 2nd.

#3 need LB: I like Merci but he is a rotational need who could be a starter; that could not be found in later rounds? I was crying when I saw Ronnell Lewis at our pick in 4th.

I like Brooks and he might be a 1st year starter & if so I'll be extremely pleased. Just think we really blew it on Posey & I will glad spit crow feathers.

TexanBacker93
05-03-2012, 06:32 PM

That's how I felt going in and still feel. We lost some very good players, but had depth enough to know that we didn't have to grab someone just to fill a spot. We got players we wanted that fit our system and the expectations won't be as high so it can afford the team and the fans to be a little more patient.

Kaiser Toro
05-03-2012, 06:50 PM
I was not a fan of the Posey pick. Hopefully Kirksey is the wunderkind at developing WRs that Kubiak thinks he is and Jean steps up. However, I have not seen any skill development (outside of blocking, which is very important in this scheme) at the position from the last five years that makes me feel optimistic.

Either you procure talent, or you develop it via the draft/UDFA. In my opinion, this remains an opportunity for growth after this year's draft and the position coach staying in place.

The draft last year felt extremely different since Casserly and Kubiak/Smith were not pulling all of the strings. This year's draft felt different given our draft position and needs changing, but the brain fart I have grown to hate showed up again with the handling of the 2nd round pick.

GuerillaBlack
05-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I was not a fan of the Posey pick. Hopefully Kirksey is the wunderkind at developing WRs that Kubiak thinks he is and Jean steps up. However, I have not seen any skill development (outside of blocking, which is very important in this scheme) at the position from the last five years that makes me feel optimistic.

Either you procure talent, or you develop it via the draft/UDFA. In my opinion, this remains an opportunity for growth after this year's draft and the position coach staying in place.

The draft last year felt extremely different since Casserly and Kubiak/Smith were not pulling all of the strings. This year's draft felt different given our draft position and needs changing, but the brain fart I have grown to hate showed up again with the handling of the 2nd round pick.

Yeah, but what if Posey comes in and produces well? How will you feel about trading out of the second round then.

Kaiser Toro
05-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah, but what if Posey comes in and produces well? How will you feel about trading out of the second round then.

I will feel great. I would even feel better if Jean produces.

My only expectation for a WR who sat out a year and played with a poor throwing QB on a run first team is that he better be able to block right out the gate.

Should Jean be ready and produce (development) it does provide optimism for Posey in 2013.

EllisUnit
05-03-2012, 08:00 PM

yeah but the odds that we will have as bad of injuries as last season are slim, and if by some curse it does happen. The Dec 21 wont look to bad after all ;)

Texan_Bill
05-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Some of us don't have a choice when the sorryass complex you live at has an exclusive deal with a schitty cable service and your unit doesn't have a clear view of the southern sky so you cant get dish or satellite and your stuck paying out the a$$ for lousy cable that is as reliable as a training bra on dolly parton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:spit:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs079.ash2/37277_130699796951871_124953230859861_248497_19672 11_n.jpg

LikeMike
05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
As 2011 season ended, most of us had identified huge needs again. Anyone thinking we were to be able to draft BPA was proved wrong and I am ok with that part; but if you are going to fill needs do it with best you can. I will be creamed for saying this but if you list our stated needs by us and Texans we have some "boy, we better be lucky" selections.

#1 need was a starting WR2 & hopefully someone who could possibly replace AJ at some point. Devier Posey? Really? This was the best we could do? Let consider something that I don't think I've seen mentioned...if the second round was as deep as almost all said (especially at WR) GM's decision was to trade out for a third and fourth? Folks will say I'm still stuck on Fleener. Well, yeah. A guy with size bigger than Andre and faster? Oh he couldn't block...well that is BS. Never said he was Walter but how is KW working out for us? What, a guy of Fleener's size can not be taught to improve his blocking? We have signed RBs with the hope we could have them block huge DLs and LBs & not get QB killed but we can't do same for 6'5" 250lb WR who might have to block down field on a corner or safety. Spin it anyway you want, that is plain goofy. Plus Coby could be day one starter at WR2 or TE2.

#2 need(debateable) OGs: RG was pretty terrible even though I cheered the toughness of Briesel. Caldwell allegedly playing on two bum sticks did little to make me think he could start. Coaches see & know more than I do. I get that; but were not most of us pleading for a starting RG as several should be available in 2nd round? Kevin Zeitler whom many said would be a 10 year starter went #27. More than one OT that could convert to OG were in 2nd.

#3 need LB: I like Merci but he is a rotational need who could be a starter; that could not be found in later rounds? I was crying when I saw Ronnell Lewis at our pick in 4th.

I like Brooks and he might be a 1st year starter & if so I'll be extremely pleased. Just think we really blew it on Posey & I will glad spit crow feathers.

Well, I'll kinda disagree. Nr. 2 WR was the biggest Need before the FA losses. With a Good QB we should at least be ok with Andre, KW, Daniels and Foster as his primary weapons. We added two projects that might work Out.

My number 1 Need was the oline and we added two valuable players in the mit rounds, when the first round talents were taken.

And really outside of the OLine, there weren't Big holes we had to fix. So we went bpa available in the first (a round in which you should Not reach for Need), got some more picks with a Trade Out of the second (which netted us Crick - Not a Big Need, but the extra pick allowed us to get this High value guy). We took the WRs our coaches liked, got great OLine help at a Good value, a Kicker we desperateley needed and a physical freak in a Project OT.

Really the only Big concern Most People have is Posey - a 3d round pick that wasn't that High on many scouts lists but a Guy that our coaching staff really likes. It is difficult to get excited for this pick, but I have no Problem with it.

Overall we added talent to an already really Good team - two question marks remain: how will the New OLine perform and what can we expect from the QB position.

So to put it short: I feel Good with this draft...

beerlover
05-03-2012, 08:50 PM
yeah but the odds that we will have as bad of injuries as last season are slim, and if by some curse it does happen. The Dec 21 wont look to bad after all ;)

Texans had to cover the bases with a stud to minimize losing Mario Williams. Can't have too many pass rushers in Wade Phillips defense. However injury's are a big factor as well, two years ago Connor Barwin was out for an entire season. Last year Mario got hurt so they threw a rookie in the fire (Brooks). Mercilus has a higher ceiling than Brooks & hopefully time to develop him on a carefully planned pace. But injury can raise its ugly head at anytime, just ask the Ravens who just lost Suggs. Now instead of bringing Courtney Upshaw along slowly he will probably have to start now & if HE gets hurt or injured they're screwed.

badboy
05-03-2012, 09:13 PM
That's how I felt going in and still feel. We lost some very good players, but had depth enough to know that we didn't have to grab someone just to fill a spot. We got players we wanted that fit our system and the expectations won't be as high so it can afford the team and the fans to be a little more patient.I'm assuming you are talking about expectaction of the drafted players as the expectation of team will be higher than ever. So if you are talking about players let's consider 1. Mercilus? Ok probably not expected to be a starter but first round pick at glammer position & led the nation in sacks + had all those take aways. Then add to the forever comparison to Mario? Yeah, I know Barwin replaced Mario but tell it to everyone else. Expectations? You betcha.

2. Posey? I hope I am not the only one expecting him to step up be productive WR2 day one. 3. Brookes? My expectation is he had better be able to push Caldwell if not beat him out. If not, why the heck select him? Just an after thought? Sure, if Caldwell settles in as a Briesel replacement (note I did not say a very good RG) Brookes if only a back up will be an ok use of a 4th.
5. Martin? We all got what we want and Jocoby gone bye bye. Expectation? Keshawn better be the return guy or was a busted pick regardless if he can play slot.6. Crick? Ok for me no expectation even if he stays healthy. An excellent selection #126.
6. Bullock? Are you serious? My guy & love him but he could easily be the leading point scorer so expectations?

Not attacking you, just disagreeing vociferously!

buddyboy
05-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about expectaction of the drafted players as the expectation of team will be higher than ever. So if you are talking about players let's consider 1. Mercilus? Ok probably not expected to be a starter but first round pick at glammer position & led the nation in sacks + had all those take aways. Then add to the forever comparison to Mario? Yeah, I know Barwin replaced Mario but tell it to everyone else. Expectations? You betcha.

2. Posey? I hope I am not the only one expecting him to step up be productive WR2 day one. 3. Brookes? My expectation is he had better be able to push Caldwell if not beat him out. If not, why the heck select him? Just an after thought? Sure, if Caldwell settles in as a Briesel replacement (note I did not say a very good RG) Brookes if only a back up will be an ok use of a 4th.
5. Martin? We all got what we want and Jocoby gone bye bye. Expectation? Keshawn better be the return guy or was a busted pick regardless if he can play slot.6. Crick? Ok for me no expectation even if he stays healthy. An excellent selection #126.
6. Bullock? Are you serious? My guy & love him but he could easily be the leading point scorer so expectations?

Not attacking you, just disagreeing vociferously!

We as fans certainly have expectations. I'm sure the team has expectations for the rooks. But if Posey doesn't step up to be the number 2 receiver...then what, we're essentially the same WR group as last year? Minus Jacoby (which, arguably, could be a positive with the game changing TO in the playoffs).

We're not saying the players won't be expected to compete, or that we as fans have no expectations. It's just that the team won't be ruined if they don't meet those expectations.

EllisUnit
05-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Texans had to cover the bases with a stud to minimize losing Mario Williams. Can't have too many pass rushers in Wade Phillips defense. However injury's are a big factor as well, two years ago Connor Barwin was out for an entire season. Last year Mario got hurt so they threw a rookie in the fire (Brooks). Mercilus has a higher ceiling than Brooks & hopefully time to develop him on a carefully planned pace. But injury can raise its ugly head at anytime, just ask the Ravens who just lost Suggs. Now instead of bringing Courtney Upshaw along slowly he will probably have to start now & if HE gets hurt or injured they're screwed.

how many injuries did the ravens have last season ??? I remember pretty much all their starters starting in the play-offs and throughout the season. My point is the odds are that we wont get hit with the injury bug as bad next year.

badboy
05-03-2012, 11:00 PM
We as fans certainly have expectations. I'm sure the team has expectations for the rooks. But if Posey doesn't step up to be the number 2 receiver...then what, we're essentially the same WR group as last year? Minus Jacoby (which, arguably, could be a positive with the game changing TO in the playoffs).

We're not saying the players won't be expected to compete, or that we as fans have no expectations. It's just that the team won't be ruined if they don't meet those expectations.As minimal as we think JJ's production was, someone has to make it up. We should not have to depend on AJ, Walter & OD.

badboy
05-03-2012, 11:04 PM
how many injuries did the ravens have last season ??? I remember pretty much all their starters starting in the play-offs and throughout the season. My point is the odds are that we wont get hit with the injury bug as bad next year.Perhaps it just seems like it but I thought Texans have had significant injuries for some time. I don't know what you are basing your odds theory on as some of the injuries like Matt's, AJ's and Caldwell's could impact them this season.

DocBar
05-03-2012, 11:09 PM
The draft felt different for me because the team didn't have a sense of urgency, through the first 3-4 rounds, to find immediate impact players. IMO, we drafted 4 of them, but that's more due to talent than design. Mercilus, Crick, the kicker(who knows his name yet?) and one of the WR. will most likely be impact players for us in 2012. They don't have to. None of us fans are really expecting them to be. I think they will be.

Anywho, that's the big difference for me. We had a good draft and can wait a couple of years to see how they develope before we get too antsy. This must be what it feels like to be a Steeler fan. I like it.

EllisUnit
05-03-2012, 11:39 PM
think about the 2010 season, who did we lose to injury. AJ had a gimp ankle still played until all hope for the play-offs were lost and then M.W same thing. Who missed a lot of time besides demeco ? My point is yes injuries do happen but rarely will you see so many starters go down like we saw last year. My odds are on all previous Texans, and ALL nfl teams seasons.

EllisUnit
05-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Plus i believe that with Schaub healthy all last season we get a first round bye and play in the AFC championship game. And the way we played Baltimore i believe we would of been in the Superbowl !!!

buddyboy
05-04-2012, 12:23 AM
As minimal as we think JJ's production was, someone has to make it up. We should not have to depend on AJ, Walter & OD.

If this thread theme is "expectations", filling JJ's minimal production should be on the list of "low expectations".

You're right, we do need to fill that production. We have 4-5 young players though, I'd say we have a pretty good chance that one of them will fill the role. Still, one could make the argument that had we not drafted a WR, Lestar Jean, Iglesias, and whatever UDFA WRs we picked up could potentially fill JJ's production. It'd be much riskier, but at WR3 it doesn't seem to be as important, especially with how our team has evolved into a run-oriented team.

That being said, sure hope one of those WRs steps up this season and TAKES away the number 2 spot from Walter, or at the very least fills JJ's old production.

drs23
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
See, that's one thing some folks seem to forgot about, is the "luck" or "random" part of all this. You could "what if" yourself to death discussing the NFL.

All I know is, the Texans are heading down the right path and look good. Anything said beyond that is speculation.

The bolded statement is so true. And to recall the ridicule McNair got on this board when he suggested "we're on the right track" after the MNF loss in Baltimore. Perhaps he had a vision of the future that we just couldn't grasp at the time.

Personally I feel pretty good about where the Texans are as a team and what the future holds. I say this trying to look around my Kool-Aid colored glasses. :)

TimeKiller
05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
#1 need was a starting WR2 & hopefully someone who could possibly replace AJ at some point. Devier Posey? Really? This was the best we could do?

There will never be another Andre Johnson. That's what makes him special. And if we're incredibly lucky enough to have another WR that stands up with the greatest, he probably won't be a selection in the 3rd round. You talk a lot about expectations, maybe look over your own expectations eh?

So your complaint is that they didn't choose Brooks in the 2nd round?

Did Ronnell Lewis lead the nation in sacks and forced fumbles? There's your obvious answer.

You're not the only one who wasn't up with the Posey pick. I flat out didn't like it, didn't like the move down either but all told...it was a pretty good draft. Aside from the suspensions, down the nitty gritty of football attributes, Posey has a pretty decent report.

badboy
05-04-2012, 01:58 PM
There will never be another Andre Johnson. That's what makes him special. And if we're incredibly lucky enough to have another WR that stands up with the greatest, he probably won't be a selection in the 3rd round. You talk a lot about expectations, maybe look over your own expectations eh?

So your complaint is that they didn't choose Brooks in the 2nd round?Did Ronnell Lewis lead the nation in sacks and forced fumbles? There's your obvious answer.

You're not the only one who wasn't up with the Posey pick. I flat out didn't like it, didn't like the move down either but all told...it was a pretty good draft. Aside from the suspensions, down the nitty gritty of football attributes, Posey has a pretty decent report.Your confused on two points with AJ, first when we (posters) speak of finding a replacement for a starter that is what we are talking about. You don't know if you have a H. o. F. for a couple years minimum. We need a WR1 in training now. To say there will never be another AJ is silly. Larry Fitzgerald & Calvin Johnson blow that theory to hell and does not include any newer guys such as Blackmon, Kendall Wright or Floyd who could be H.o.F.

Where in the world did you get the bolded from? My point was we could have gotten a rotational OLB that could develop into a possible starter in Wade's system in Lewis and used first and second on other positions. I did not say Lewis was better than Mercilus. Quit reading what you want in my words.

Insideop
05-04-2012, 06:04 PM

Not so sure Brooks was brought in to replace Caldwell. There will be some fierce competition at both OG spots this season, and with Wade Smith already 31 years old, Brooks could be replacing him, though I don't think that's likely at the start of the season. I really don't expect Brooks to beat out Caldwell or Wade this season. He has a lot to learn, not to mention the Texans O-line thrives with continuity. But I think he will be developing and waiting, along with Shelley Smith, for Wade Smith or Caldwell to retire, get injured, drop off in play, etc.. for their opportunity.