PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider signing Jabar Gafney?

DocBar
05-01-2012, 10:57 AM
LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/01/redskins-release-jabar-gaffney/)

The Redskins released Jabar Gafney today. Would you consider signing him?

speedfreek
05-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Nope..

Been there, done that. Kinda of like calling up an old girlfriend you were in a bad relationship with..

TJ

Marcus
05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Too expensive, not an upgrade, and baggage.

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2012, 11:13 AM
He had 900+ yards receiving in this offense last year with the Redskins.

He's an upgrade from a receiving standpoint but I don't see him coming in and automatically being our #2 or #3 because I don't know if he's a willing blocker or not.

I voted 'Yes' because I'd at least consider it. I'd do some research on how he blocked before I pulled the trigger. And I'd probably downgrade him a bit because he's still a headcase. Even after having a 200 yard receiving day with the Broncos, he still got benched for disciplinary reasons (granted, it was McDaniels who benched him.) And then after grabbing 900+ yards for the Redskins, he's told not to show up for their off-season conditioning program... which means he's done something to piss off the Shanny's.

gtexan02
05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
The guy has averaged 62 catches, 850 yards, and 3 TDs over the past 3 seasons.
And guess what? Thats while averaging only 11 starts a year (not injuries, just not starting)

He averages close to 14 yards per catch. Why would we not want to sign this guy?

Thorn
05-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Jabar Gafney or Jacoby Jones?

Gafney in a heartbeat.

HOU-TEX
05-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Depends on the $$.

I would if the price was right. But, wasn't it the Kubiak regime that let him go to begin with?

Dutchrudder
05-01-2012, 12:05 PM
For a minimum deal, sure I'd bring him into camp. Let him battle it out with the rest of our crew and the best man will make the 53.

Nawzer
05-01-2012, 12:05 PM
If we signed Gaffney it would mean the end of Jacoby Jones as a Texan for sure. So, I would sign him if the price is right.

Playoffs
05-01-2012, 12:07 PM
If he can't make a spot for himself in the Redskins WR corps ..... http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc366/PlagueEleven/Smileys/no.gif

Dutchrudder
05-01-2012, 12:16 PM
If he can't make a spot for himself in the Redskins WR corps ..... http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc366/PlagueEleven/Smileys/no.gif

They just signed Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan, and they still have Santana Moss on the roster. Gaffney was scheduled to make about 2.65 million this year, so they cut him instead of paying that. A minimum deal is probably what he will be offered around the league, but maybe someone will give him a little over a million. It's worth a phone call.

Personally, I would rather go after Plaxico Burress. He's still out there and would probably take a minimum deal just to play. He did pretty well with Sanchez throwing to him last year, so Schaub would be a big upgrade for him. I think he could do well in our system as a #3 guy.

ChampionTexan
05-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Depends on the $$.

I would if the price was right. But, wasn't it the Kubiak regime that let him go to begin with?

Kind of. His contract was up after the 2005 season, and they chose not to renew him, but it's not like Kubiak cut him from the roster or anything. The telling thing is that he was signed by the Eagles, and then let go during pre-season - that's when the Patriots picked him up.

Clearly, he's gone on to be a better receiver than he ever was here, and if they are planning on jettisoning Jacoby (which I believe they are), it would be nice to have a WR who's actually played in an NFL game beyond AJ and Walter.

Given the circumstances, and the point in the off-season in which he bacame available, I would imagine there's a pretty good chance he's gonna end up signing for the minimum. I do think he's a better option than the Bryant Johnson's and Derrick Mason's of the world, so if he understands the circumstances, and is willing to take the veteran minimum, I actually kind of like the idea.

CloakNNNdagger
05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Having spoken to some in DC, his Twitter meltdown (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/jabar-gaffneys-twitter-meltdown/2012/04/12/gIQADrOUDT_blog.html) had a more major effect on the team than made public.

DocBar
05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Gafney could benefit form being in a stable locker room like the Texans have. The 2012 Texans are a far, far cry from the 2005 Texans. I would definitely take him over Jones, any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I would love the vet minimum, but I would be happy if he got what Jones is scheduled to make just to be rid of Jones.

Playoffs
05-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Having spoken to some in DC, his Twitter meltdown (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/jabar-gaffneys-twitter-meltdown/2012/04/12/gIQADrOUDT_blog.html) had a more major effect on the team than made public.I wonder how so? I've seen plenty of guys have short term meltdowns when losing a marriage -- it's tough. I give him a pass on that, personally.

Vinny
05-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Gaffney isn't a very persistent blocker....he's not a slot guy either. Not a fit here.

El Tejano
05-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I think Gaffney put up some great numbers in New England. He didn't have a QB throwing to him in Washington and still put up decent numbers. He would do good here.

Hervoyel
05-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I voted that I would consider it and I would. A team with the WR situation the Texans have can't afford to not consider any potentially viable path to getting better. Over the course of reading this thread I have considered it and I'm going to pass.

Gaffney is the past. We're mercifully free of every single speck of 2002 draft "dust" and I think we should stay that way. While I think he could probably catch some balls for us I also think we can get that from a lot of WR's. Gaffney isn't crap but like Vinny said, he doesn't fit here. I bet Kubiak knew that before he even set foot in his knew office. That's why they didn't bother to try and keep him despite how barren the cupboard was at the time.

kiwitexansfan
05-01-2012, 01:39 PM
If we signed Gaffney it would mean the end of Jacoby Jones as a Texan for sure. So, I would sign him if the price is right.

I don't get the logic behind the idea that we sign or draft a WR and that equals Jones being gone.

It's quite a drop from #3 WR and PR to off the roster. I would not assume the FO shares the fan bases bitterness towards Jones.

FirstTexansFan
05-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Been there, seen it, done it... regrettably bought the Jersey :(

Big Lou
05-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Been there, seen it, done it... regrettably bought the Jersey :(

Yes but #8 version 1.0 was throwing the ball.

If the price is right, kick his tires.

Wolf6151
05-01-2012, 01:49 PM
For all that want to sign him, you have to remember that signing him as a FA will affect next years compensatory picks in the 2013 draft.

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
For all that want to sign him, you have to remember that signing him as a FA will affect next years compensatory picks in the 2013 draft.

The question wasn't "Would you SIGN Jabar Gafney". The question was "Would you CONSIDER signing Jabar Gafney". I would consider signing him but I'd investigate and weigh a lot of things before deciding whether to sign him or not.

kiwitexansfan
05-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Not as interested in compensatory picks as I am in superbowls.

ChampionTexan
05-01-2012, 01:56 PM

No it wouldn't. Since he was released by the Redskins rather than leaving upon expiration of his contract, it would not offset any of the Texans departures.

HTown2ATX
05-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Kind of surprised this seems to be a 50-50 split here...would have thought more one sided towards a no thanks attitude. I voted no, for a lot of reasons, but I don't feel like debating this one.....being lazy....maybe later...

HTown2ATX
05-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Not as interested in compensatory picks as I am in superbowls.

I don't know that Gaffney will be the lynchpin in a SB run.

srrono
05-01-2012, 02:26 PM
I think its time for some youth in our WR position getting a slow possesion WR doesnt help us.

Blake
05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
RG3 told the Shanny's " I WANT MY NUMBER!"

Done.

Blake
05-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I doubt he would even want to come back to Houston after the horror he experienced.

And I wouldnt want to sign him. I think the top 6 WR's are already on the roster.

Andre Johnson
Kevin Walter
Devier Posey
Lestar Jean
Jacoby Jones
Keshawn Martin

Nawzer
05-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I don't get the logic behind the idea that we sign or draft a WR and that equals Jones being gone.

It's quite a drop from #3 WR and PR to off the roster. I would not assume the FO shares the fan bases bitterness towards Jones.

In a previous thread I pretty much said what you have said right here. I don't think the Texans will release Jacoby just because we drafted a couple of receiver in the 3rd and 4th rounds. But if they were to bring in a receiver of Gaffney's caliber then it would be safe bet that they won't keep Jacoby. If Jacoby stays on the team, I think he'll be the #3 receiver, but his days as a punt returner or a kick returner are over.

EllisUnit
05-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Nope..

Been there, done that. Kinda of like calling up an old girlfriend you were in a bad relationship with..

TJ

yeah but that could lead to a few more good times ;).

I would sign him, he is still a pretty good WR, i think he could help our team.

Blake
05-01-2012, 03:14 PM
In a previous thread I pretty much said what you have said right here. I don't think the Texans will release Jacoby just because we drafted a couple of receiver in the 3rd and 4th rounds. But if they were to bring in a receiver of Gaffney's caliber then it would be safe bet that they won't keep Jacoby. If Jacoby stays on the team, I think he'll be the #3 receiver, but his days as a punt returner or a kick returner are over.

Not to mention we still owe Jones 2.4 million of this 3 million guarantee. And his salary this year is slated to be 3.15 million.

CloakNNNdagger
05-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Here's the "official" word:

Jabar Gaffney Trade Rumors: Mike Shanahan Says Depth, Not Twitter, Is The Reason Gaffney Is On Trading Block (http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2012/4/25/2974810/jabar-gaffney-trade-rumors-shanahan-twitter-pierre-garcon)Apr 25 2:55p by Daniel Shiferaw

ASHBURN, Va - Mike Shanahan spoke for the first time publicly since Jabar Gaffney told media outlets that the Washington Redskins are trying to trade him.

Here's what Shanahn had to say about why he team is looking to trade their leading receiver from last season:

"Anytime you sign a guy like Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan and you got a guy like Leonard Hankerson that - even though he played one game - we really think he has an upside. [When] you have a guy that really played as well and as hard as a guy like Jabar Gaffney did last year, [with] almost a thousand yards and he came in and played exceptionally well, I believe I owe it to him to give him a chance to look around the league to check his options. He's a veteran player who gave me everything that he had last year, and had a heck of a year. But he also understands that we've got three guys that we've signed, relative to Hankerson, Morgan and Pierre Garcon that we're looking to come in here and play a significant role. So I wanted him and his agent to have a chance to take a look and [see] if there's a better situation for him in the National Football League."

When asked about whether or not Gaffney's Twitter tirade was the main cause for his pending departure:

"I have not really got into detail about [the Twitter incident]. I know he was very troubled about it. I'm not going to go through our conversation. But he was very upset with what happened with Twitter. That was not the deciding factor."

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Here's the "official" word:

That's kinda old. They released him. At the time this was written, they were just looking to trade him prior to the draft.

DocBar
05-01-2012, 03:29 PM
That's kinda old. They released him. At the time this was written, they were just looking to trade him prior to the draft.In CnD's quote, it's dated at Apr. 25. If accurate, that's not very "old".

drunkcookie
05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Hmmm...i'd consider considering it... No harm in that...

But i'm not in Kubs head... I don't know how much confidence he has in Maehl (sp?) and Jean...

Oh, and as i've said, Jacoby is gone before June... McClain just reported it on Twitter...

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2012, 04:04 PM
In CnD's quote, it's dated at Apr. 25. If accurate, that's not very "old".

But it's before the draft and before Gafney had been cut back when they were saying all the nice things and hoping someone would be interested in a draft day trade. Just like us and Jacoby.

DocBar
05-01-2012, 04:35 PM
But it's before the draft and before Gafney had been cut back when they were saying all the nice things and hoping someone would be interested in a draft day trade. Just like us and Jacoby.That's true and Shanny is usually very "by the book" regarding players. He doesn't tend to trash them or throw them under the bus.

pec0sb0b
05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
I recall seeing Gaffney catching passes for the Patriots in the playoffs...water under the bridge. Go ahead and bring him into camp...think of him like a utility infielder in baseball. I'd rather we use what cap space we have left to get another corner (Mike Jenkins).

Jacoby is officially gone.

gary
05-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Yes, he would not have Carr throwing to him.

Lucky
05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I think the top 6 WR's are already on the roster.

Andre Johnson
Kevin Walter
Devier Posey
Lestar Jean
Dwight Jones
Keshawn Martin
FIFY.

Part of me would want Gaffney due to the list above. AJ, Walter, and essentially 4 rookies. I think a vet is needed, and Gaffney played in the offense (under the Shannys). He had his best seasons after the age of 30.

The other part of me doesn't want Gaffney, because he wasn't very good here. He's not big, not fast, and he doesn't help on special teams. And how much $$$ does he want? The Texans took a flyer on Bryant Johnson last year and got zip in return. Is Gaffney Bryant Johnson, Part II?

My answer is yes to finding a vet WR. Maybe a bigger, WCO type who can help on special teams. But, no to Jabar Gaffney. Not the right guy at the right time.

kingh99
05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
He gave up on the franchise. In fact he quit to gain his release. We got nothing for that pick. And now we help him get a ring? No way.

Texan_Bill
05-01-2012, 08:28 PM
NOT NO, BUt **** NO!!!!

Blake
05-02-2012, 07:03 AM
FIFY.

Part of me would want Gaffney due to the list above. AJ, Walter, and essentially 4 rookies. I think a vet is needed, and Gaffney played in the offense (under the Shannys). He had his best seasons after the age of 30.

The other part of me doesn't want Gaffney, because he wasn't very good here. He's not big, not fast, and he doesn't help on special teams. And how much $$$ does he want? The Texans took a flyer on Bryant Johnson last year and got zip in return. Is Gaffney Bryant Johnson, Part II?

My answer is yes to finding a vet WR. Maybe a bigger, WCO type who can help on special teams. But, no to Jabar Gaffney. Not the right guy at the right time.

Good point. They might wait for more WR's that are a better fit to get released and try to bring one in.

Im still a big fan of Kevin Walter. I think he is a great possession WR across from AJ. But I know alot of people dont share that opinion with me.

eriadoc
05-02-2012, 08:03 AM
I'd be willing to take a look. It depends on where his head is and what kind of money it would cost. But I always thought that he got a bad rap when he was here. He produced pretty decently for the few balls he had thrown his way. I remember looking it up once back when he played for us, and he had a better catch percentage than any other WR on the team, and for a couple seasons, he had a better YPC than any other WR on the team. He just always suffered from the stigma of being selected in the 2nd round when he was more of a 3rd or 4th round WR. But of course, that's not really his fault.

I'll say this: Even when you take away the critical mistakes that cost JJ his job, Gaffney has done more with his talent and opportunity than JJ has.

ChampionTexan
05-02-2012, 08:15 AM
He gave up on the franchise. In fact he quit to gain his release. We got nothing for that pick. And now we help him get a ring? No way.

He wasn't released because he didn't have to be - he played out his rookie contract, and became a UFA.

beerlover
05-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Texans are going to maintain build through the draft mentality, unless he wants to come play here for league minimum, then hell yeah I'd do it!

The Pencil Neck
05-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Good point. They might wait for more WR's that are a better fit to get released and try to bring one in.

Im still a big fan of Kevin Walter. I think he is a great possession WR across from AJ. But I know alot of people dont share that opinion with me.

I like KW. I want him to do well. A few years ago, dude was money. You throw the ball anywhere near him and he'd catch it.

But he's declined over the past 3 years. He drops balls he wouldn't have dropped a few years ago. He doesn't get the separation he used to get.

He still works hard. He still blocks well. I don't know what the deal is but the decline obvious in the numbers. And that's even though AJ isn't on the field as much.

El Tejano
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
What was the big deal with the Jabar Gaffney tweets? That's all I heard yesterday and I have no clue what they are talking about. What did he tweet?

The Pencil Neck
05-02-2012, 11:35 AM
What was the big deal with the Jabar Gaffney tweets? That's all I heard yesterday and I have no clue what they are talking about. What did he tweet?

From what I've heard, he just posted some expletive deleted stuff about Lito Sheppard (his cousin) and then posted some more expletive deleted stuff announcing he was going to be divorcing his wife.

I think that's all it was but it was treated like a big scandal, so there might have been more said.

SheTexan
05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Read on AOL sporting news that Gafney resigned with the Pats today.

The Pencil Neck
05-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Read on AOL sporting news that Gafney resigned with the Pats today.

So far, I've only heard that Gaffney has said he's re-signing with the Patriots. Haven't seen anything official, yet.

Playoffs
05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
Patriots re-signed veteran wide receiver Jabar Gaffney today.