PDA

View Full Version : Can we start next season with Schaub, Yates and Keenum at QB?

Rey
04-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Assuming Schaub is healthy or close to healthy?

I'm not saying don't bring a vet QB in to get in the mix (even though I'm not sold that one will be brought in). What I'm asking is how comfortable would you be with Schaub, Yates and Keenum on the roster as the QB's?

My thinking is that Schaub will try to push to play in game 1. I'm not sure if that goes according to plan, but I think that's what he'll be gunning for. I'm skeptical about that happening, but I'm hopeful that he'll be back within the first 4 games of the season.

I'm actually pretty high on Yates. I like what he did last year all things considered. I also think that he will have grown some since last season and he will be an improved player at the QB position. He isn't a seasoned vet, but he will have been through some pretty tough wars and played in some tough situations. He's played in a home play off game and an away play off game against some pretty tough defenses. He's played in a play-off clinching victory that came down to a last second throw. He's had some ugly games and some decent games. He's played with Andre and without him.

I think he's about as good as a back-up as we'll find for us. I'm pretty high on Keenum, but I need to see him play in our system before I can talk about what I think his prospects are. I think he has the ability, but I just don't know what to expect. I think getting used to the pace of the offense and the rythm of what we do will be his biggest struggle.

Schaub, I don't know what to expect there. He's obviously the best option if healthy, but that's the problem...If healthy...

Maybe if Schaub is definitely going to be out pick up Delhomme to get back in the mix. But overall, I'm going to say that I feel about as comfortable with this group heading into the season as I would about bringing in some street FA's....

What say you?

TdotTexas2Step
04-30-2012, 05:19 PM
I have a lot of faith in Schaub being the starter with Yates backing him up. Keenum is a prospect, we'll see what happens as we develop him.

But, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a QB other than Schaub on the roster who has at least a full season under his belt.

GP
04-30-2012, 05:29 PM
In the hypothetical scenario of Schaub starting week 1...I am comfortable with Yates and Keenum.

Kubiak is going to be very tempted to put a vet QB on there, though, but I personally think Keenum should be the QB3 here no matter what.

Big Lou
04-30-2012, 05:32 PM
In the hypothetical scenario of Schaub starting week 1...I am comfortable with Yates and Keenum.

Kubiak is going to be very tempted to put a vet QB on there, though, but I personally think Keenum should be the QB3 here no matter what.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Keenum on the Practice Squad, and a veteran like say Beck come in to start the season. However if Case impresses Kubes who knows!!!

Obviousley everyone knocks Keenum on his size, but he's almost he's a tiny bit bigger than Drew Breese.

Corrosion
04-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see Keenum on the Practice Squad, and a veteran like say Beck come in to start the season. However if Case impresses Kubes who knows!!!

Obviousley everyone knocks Keenum on his size, but he's almost he's a tiny bit bigger than Drew Breese.

If its Schaub , Yates and Keenum , Keenum will make the 53.

Gary learned his lesson about carrying 2 QB's and has said as much ....

The question when it comes to Keenum making the final 53 is .... "do they bring in a vet" who will push him to the PS or .....

Nawzer
04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Any chance they'll bring back Delhomme or Garcia again? I'm comfortable with Schaub and Yates, but would like to see them add another veteran just in case.

Rey
04-30-2012, 05:50 PM
If its Schaub , Yates and Keenum , Keenum will make the 53.

Gary learned his lesson about carrying 2 QB's and has said as much ....

The question when it comes to Keenum making the final 53 is .... "do they bring in a vet" who will push him to the PS or .....

If they didn't bring in a vet, or if a vet was brought in but didn't make the final 53, would you be ok with the Shammy, Yates and Keenum trio?

Thorn
04-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Until I see Schaub in uniform and throwing the ball, I'm thinking Yates will be starting the year. I'd much rather have Schaub healthy and starting, Yates backing up and Case learning. That would be ideal. But I'm just not convinced yet Schaub is coming back on time.

If that happens, Kubes will stick with Yates and bring in a verteran backup from somewhere, leaving Case still 3rd string and learning.

Corrosion
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
If they didn't bring in a vet, or if a vet was brought in but didn't make the final 53, would you be ok with the Shammy, Yates and Keenum trio?

Yes ....Schaub will be ready for the opener. Yates behind him is enough to win with. If the 3rd guy has to play , we're </////////}'d.

Wolf
04-30-2012, 07:08 PM
I think the Texans have to bring in a Vet.

Like Corrosion stated, if we are down to third string, we are </////////}'d. Again

Case to the practice squad. (unless he somehow impresses the hell out of Kubiak)

I am not knocking Case, but would need time, (like TJ didn't get to do) to fully grasp the offense,plus the speed of the NFL

texasam82
04-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Schaub will be fine for the season opener... I've been through this process and was fine after 6 weeks. Yates will be THE backup and IF somehow/someway Schaub is not ready Yates will get the start. There is no veteran QB they will bring in that leap frogs TJ. You guys must be nuts if you think they will shatter the confidence of Yates by sitting him in favor of a veteran reject that we sign off the street. Yates did well last year and has now finally had time to master the system and continue to grow...

drs23
04-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Schaub will be fine for the season opener... I've been through this process and was fine after 6 weeks. Yates will be THE backup and IF somehow/someway Schaub is not ready Yates will get the start. There is no veteran QB they will bring in that leap frogs TJ. You guys must be nuts if you think they will shatter the confidence of Yates by sitting him in favor of a veteran reject that we sign off the street. Yates did well last year and has now finally had time to master the system and continue to grow...

How old are you sam? And what's your occupation? Just axin.

TexanSam
04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
If Schaub isn't ready to start by Week 1, then no. I would not feel comfortable at all about our chances with Yates as the starter and Keenum as the backup. I'd rather have a veteran QB backing up Yates in that scenario.

If Schaub is healthy, then yes, I think Schaub/Yates/Keenum is very likely.

texasam82
04-30-2012, 09:29 PM
How old are you sam? And what's your occupation? Just axin.

Who is sam? I was 22 when the injury occurred. At the time I was a collegiate wrestler, fairly large amounts of stress on the ole tootsies. Why?

And furthermore, does ANYONE really think we will sign a vet that would be better prepared than Yates?

Schaub will be just fine for the opener regardless. Cmon mannn

kiwitexansfan
04-30-2012, 10:04 PM
I'd be ok with that lineup.

JB
04-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I am hopeful that Schaub will be ready to go. If not they will bring in a vet to back up TJ, who will be going thru his first full off season program. Keenum will be the #3 and if he has to play, I don't think we will be in any worse shape when our #3 had to start last year.

Hervoyel
04-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Schaub, Yates, and Keenum would be fine as far as I'm concerned. Based on my memory Yates has started and won games in the NFL now and is not a rookie. In my book that makes him our "veteran backup" in this scenario. Keenum is learning until he proves otherwise at this level.

I'd be fine with Schaub, Yates, and Delhomme with Keenum on the practice squad this year too. That would work. Not so interested in Garcia anymore. Delhomme is 37 and can still start I think. Garcia is 42 and I'm pretty sure he's done.

Texanmike02
04-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't know who you would bring in to start in place of Schaub if he's not healthy. Yates has played in the system. He will have a full training camp plus what he played last year and I'm not sure who you could bring in (other than Garcia or Delhomme, who were brought in the mentor but not threaten Yates) that has had much experience in this system. I doubt we are going to find someone who is much better of a backup than Sage was.

Mike

TexanSam
05-01-2012, 12:17 AM
I don't know who you would bring in to start in place of Schaub if he's not healthy. Yates has played in the system. He will have a full training camp plus what he played last year and I'm not sure who you could bring in (other than Garcia or Delhomme, who were brought in the mentor but not threaten Yates) that has had much experience in this system. I doubt we are going to find someone who is much better of a backup than Sage was.

Mike

I think it might be more wondering who would backup Yates if Schaub isn't healthy? I'd like Delhomme back, but it sounded like he was ready to go back and enjoy being retired after the season. Hopefully we don't have to find out though.

SW H-TOWN
05-01-2012, 12:24 AM
I think it might be more wondering who would backup Yates if Schaub isn't healthy? I'd like Delhomme back, but it sounded like he was ready to go back and enjoy being retired after the season. Hopefully we don't have to find out though.

Ryan Leaf.

Norg
05-01-2012, 01:02 AM
i know kubes will never do it but i wish we would go in with only two QB's and use the extra spot for a D or O player

SteveSlaton20
05-01-2012, 01:29 AM
i know kubes will never do it but i wish we would go in with only two QB's and use the extra spot for a D or O player

wouldn't risk it after last season, especially since we dont know when schaub is supposed to come in.

Corrosion
05-01-2012, 02:56 AM

He did it in the past when it was Schaub and Rosencoptor .... He learned his lesson and has had three since.

Rey
05-01-2012, 06:45 AM
He did it in the past when it was Schaub and Rosencoptor .... He learned his lesson and has had three since.

Do you think that had anything to do with the fact that schaub as been injured so much?

He may be gun shy about 2 qbs now, but i think there are a few teams that go with 2 qbs. Of course these teams have qbs that almost never miss time.

Other than delhomme I'm seriously wondering what qb out there id feel ok with running the show for a while.

Even if schaub is back I'll still feel like seeing the back up qb at some point is a very realistic possibility. And if we have the back up in then the chances go up the third guy plays.

Keenum may end up as that third guy. I'm good with that at this point. Need to see him play for us first though.

But I guess my point is that our qb depth probably matters more than most teams. Are you guys comfortable with Yates and Keenum just in case schaub needs more time, has a setback or injures something else?

ckhouston
05-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Matt wont start the season so its a mute point. Yates will be the #1 until Schaub is completely healthy, AND if TJ is lighting it up and we are on a roll, then Matt may not see the field again as a Texan. You dont extend a player who hasnt proven he will stay healthy "on the field", so Matt doesnt get a new contract unless he plays the majority of the games this year and stays healthy and plays like a top notch starter. Otherwise you roll with the kid if he impresses after a full camp and getting time with the first team. Case will have a chance to make the team, but I think we grab a vet to back up Yates to start the season, then if Matt gets cleared we can put Case on the PS and let Matt be #2 out of respect.

Corrosion
05-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Matt wont start the season so its a mute point. Yates will be the #1 until Schaub is completely healthy, AND if TJ is lighting it up and we are on a roll, then Matt may not see the field again as a Texan. You dont extend a player who hasnt proven he will stay healthy "on the field", so Matt doesnt get a new contract unless he plays the majority of the games this year and stays healthy and plays like a top notch starter. Otherwise you roll with the kid if he impresses after a full camp and getting time with the first team. Case will have a chance to make the team, but I think we grab a vet to back up Yates to start the season, then if Matt gets cleared we can put Case on the PS and let Matt be #2 out of respect.

And you know this how ?

They made no attempt to shore up the position behind Schaub and Yates via draft or FA to this point. That should tell you something ....

Rey
05-01-2012, 08:22 AM
And you know this how ?

They made no attempt to shore up the position behind Schaub and Yates via draft or FA to this point. That should tell you something ....

I agree with your point. No way to know Schaubs injury status...

But in what ways were we going to shore up the QB situation?

2012Champs
05-01-2012, 09:03 AM

moot

ckhouston
05-01-2012, 09:49 AM
moot

I stand corrected. :fingergun:

ckhouston
05-01-2012, 09:52 AM
And you know this how ? I can read.

They made no attempt to shore up the position behind Schaub and Yates via draft or FA to this point. That should tell you something .... It does. Tells me they like how Yates is looking and what he did in the offseason to improve as a QB in this system.

Answered your question and commented on your comment in red.

Funny no matter how many articles people post about that type of injury, the chance (or lack thereof) of full recovery, and realistic projected partial recovery time ... all some want to do is focus on Gary and Matt with the smoke screen "right on schedule" comments.

They are right on schedule for that injury ... as it has none.

Corrosion
05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
So you really believe that this front office is so inept that it would not shore up that position via FA or an early draft pick if it were truely concerned that Schaub would not be ready .... They'd go with Yates , Keenum and whatever reject they could pick up off the scrap heap?

I find that very difficult to believe about the most important position in football .... even if they think Yates can get it done , they would need a backup.

They've said Schaub will be ready to go , everything they have done points to him being ready ....

gary
05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
I think Šchaub will be ready to go

Rey
05-01-2012, 10:46 AM
So you really believe that this front office is so inept that it would not shore up that position via FA or an early draft pick if it were truely concerned that Schaub would not be ready .... They'd go with Yates , Keenum and whatever reject they could pick up off the scrap heap?

I find that very difficult to believe about the most important position in football .... even if they think Yates can get it done , they would need a backup.

They've said Schaub will be ready to go , everything they have done points to him being ready ....

To be fair, the this same regime sat on Ahman Green until it was apparent he just didn't have it. They kept holding on to a thin hope that he'd come back and be able to play. Slaton was injured and they kept running him out there for a year until it was apparent that he didn't have it anymore...

But all that aside, I don't think it says they are inept that they didn't address QB via FA or the draft. They may not have cared for any of the mid tier QB's over Yates, and I don't think they ever even entertained trading up for one of the top 3.

Who was available via free agency that would have come in and started over Yates? Manning?

I made mention of this before FA even started, but the Texans were in a tough situation with the QB position. If you think that theres a chance Schaub will be healthy you don't go out and get a serious upgrade like Peyton (no guarantees about his health either) and you don't trade away your whole draft for a top QB....

Then, what middle of the road street free agent are we bringing in that will beat out Yates?

And really, they can still bring in some vets if they choose...

I just think they are in a tough situation...

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Other than delhomme I'm seriously wondering what qb out there id feel ok with running the show for a while.

That's a good question. From WalterFootball, the FA QBs available are:

1) Dennis Dixon
2) Billy Volek
3) Donovan McNabb
4) Vince Young
5) Matt Leinart
6) A.J. Feeley
7) J.P. Losman
8) Kyle Boller
9) John Beck
10) Luke McCown
11) Jake Delhomme
12) Max Hall

None of those guys gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Maybe Dennis Dixon -- he didn't look too bad from what I can remember. Delhomme would be my first choice because he's got some experience with the system now, Dixon my second because he's got the most potential, and finally Leinart my third although he didn't look great against the Jags. Everyone else there is just a toss-up.

El Tejano
05-01-2012, 11:53 AM

1) Dennis Dixon
2) Billy Volek
3) Donovan McNabb
4) Vince Young
5) Matt Leinart
6) A.J. Feeley
7) J.P. Losman
8) Kyle Boller
9) John Beck
10) Luke McCown
11) Jake Delhomme
12) Max Hall

None of those guys gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Maybe Dennis Dixon -- he didn't look too bad from what I can remember. Delhomme would be my first choice because he's got some experience with the system now, Dixon my second because he's got the most potential, and finally Leinart my third although he didn't look great against the Jags. Everyone else there is just a toss-up.

What about Dennis Dixon? I thought he was available. I think he'd be a good pick up for our offense.

welsh texan
05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Delhomme looked very good in his playing time at the end of the season, I actually thought he pretty much won that final game and they seemingly didn't want to take the win and certainly didn't want to go to overtime due to draft/injury issues.

I actually felt a little twinge after his display of maybe we should even have started him over TJ in the playoffs, not sure if I voiced that or not at the time, but I can see why they stuck with the rookie.

The thing you have to wonder is how much would it take for him to go through yet another training camp on a team? There has to come a point where these guys feel they've had enough of 2 a days etc (if they exist anymore, seems we're not far off pre-season being a couple of games of Madden to learn the playbook). Would Delhomme want to un-retire and go through it all again, if the money wasn't right or possibly even more importantly if he wasn't going to start.

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2012, 01:17 PM
What about Dennis Dixon? I thought he was available. I think he'd be a good pick up for our offense.

He was my first pick from the guys available.

Hervoyel
05-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Delhomme looked very good in his playing time at the end of the season, I actually thought he pretty much won that final game and they seemingly didn't want to take the win and certainly didn't want to go to overtime due to draft/injury issues.

I actually felt a little twinge after his display of maybe we should even have started him over TJ in the playoffs, not sure if I voiced that or not at the time, but I can see why they stuck with the rookie.

The thing you have to wonder is how much would it take for him to go through yet another training camp on a team? There has to come a point where these guys feel they've had enough of 2 a days etc (if they exist anymore, seems we're not far off pre-season being a couple of games of Madden to learn the playbook). Would Delhomme want to un-retire and go through it all again, if the money wasn't right or possibly even more importantly if he wasn't going to start.

When you're Delhomme's age camp is nothing like the monster that rookies and young players face. You do what you need to do to get ready and precious little more. Of course he might not even want to do that. I agree though that he played well for us. I never bought the idea that Delhomme was as broken as he looked in Cleveland. Everybody who goes to Cleveland looks like crap. It's where careers go to die. He got out of there, got healthy, and looked immensely better here.

He could back up here another three years and I'd be fine with it.

Rey
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Well, Kubiak was on the Radio around 12:30 ish and he said he definitley wants to bring in another QB...He said he and Rick are discussing whether that should be a vet or a young guy...

The way he was talking about Keenum though, it sounded like he has already made the team.

ckhouston
05-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Well, Kubiak was on the Radio around 12:30 ish and he said he definitley wants to bring in another QB...He said he and Rick are discussing whether that should be a vet or a young guy...

The way he was talking about Keenum though, it sounded like he has already made the team.

If he is talking like Keenum already made the team, and saying he needs to bring in another QB ... what does that say about Matts progress? Would he need four QB's in camp? Interesting.

The Pencil Neck
05-02-2012, 12:39 AM
If he is talking like Keenum already made the team, and saying he needs to bring in another QB ... what does that say about Matts progress? Would he need four QB's in camp? Interesting.

Four QBs in camp is not that unusual. Actually, I think that's pretty much the standard number.

Although I'm trying to think back to last year and I only remember 3.

And I believe we should go forward as though Matt's not going to make it back for the beginning of the season. In that case, we'd want a vet to come in to be the #2 behind TJ. Not a lot of vets are going to want to do that.

And if Matt's not going to make it for TC, I wouldn't be surprised for them to pick up another UDFA QB as a camp arm in addition to the vet.

Rey
05-02-2012, 06:55 AM

I think it was also discussed that Matt wouldn't be participating in a lot of the activities. They wanted another qb so Yates and keenum's arms didn't burn out. Basically Yates and Keenum are the only healthy qb's on the roster right now. We need another arm for camp.

And I'm not sold on schaub being back. I won't make any claims either way because I simply don't know.

TheGoldenGreek
05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I just want to know why so many people are certain Schaub won't start the year. From what I've read, he is expected to be back for training camp. If he is unable to return, I have no problem with Yates filling in until Schaub is ready.

The Pencil Neck
05-02-2012, 11:11 AM
I just want to know why so many people are certain Schaub won't start the year. From what I've read, he is expected to be back for training camp. If he is unable to return, I have no problem with Yates filling in until Schaub is ready.

I'm concerned about his return because of his age, the location of his injury, the Texans history of injury reporting, but primarily because of information CnD posted just after he sustained the injury that indicated that it could be a year before he was fully recovered.

He's not a kid anymore. I think that's going to influence the speed of his recovery.

His injury was to his plant foot. That's going to mean he needs to be more fully recovered to really throw right. If it hadn't been his plant foot that was injured, he could come back at a lower percentage of recovery and perform. But since this foot is integral to his throwing motion, he needs to be well healed. (pardon the pun)

The Texans are notorious for saying a player is going to come back at a certain time and then that player not making it back at that time. So I disregard anything the Texans say about a guy being on schedule and being expected to be back at a particular point. I'll believe it when I see it.

Finally, CnD posted information indicating that it can take up to a year to be fully recovered from this injury. Granted, the same report said you could be fully recovered for normal, non-stressful work in about 8 months (iirc) but that's for non-stressful work for a normal human being, not a professional athlete who's putting stress on the foot and relying on it.

That's why I expect Matt to get PUPd and to be back mid-season, ready to play.

sandman
05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
He's not a kid anymore. I think that's going to influence the speed of his recovery.

He is 30. Not quite into the Jamie Moyer age bracket yet.

The Pencil Neck
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
He is 30. Not quite into the Jamie Moyer age bracket yet.

Yep. He's 30. He's not in his early 20's anymore. He's at the age where it begins to get harder to recover from injury.

Rey
05-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Yep. He's 30. He's not in his early 20's anymore. He's at the age where it begins to get harder to recover from injury.

Yeah...

That's a good point...

I'm just anxious to see how he's progressing...

Joe Texan
05-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Having Shaub back is crucial as well as the key to us being dangerous in the NFL. This Team is built for shaub and we will have him back. I just hope the Texans play the I am better better than they have in the past. I am confident enough in TJ to go to Baltimore and had it not been for JJ we would have won that game. You Worry warts are making me laugh, from the looks of this front 7 on Defense I doubt the offence gets much time on the feild. I can hear it now"Miami going back to pass, oooooooooo its Watt for seven.

Doppelganger
05-02-2012, 04:18 PM

1) Dennis Dixon
2) Billy Volek
3) Donovan McNabb
4) Vince Young
5) Matt Leinart
6) A.J. Feeley
7) J.P. Losman
8) Kyle Boller
9) John Beck
10) Luke McCown
11) Jake Delhomme
12) Max Hall

In my mind, Schaub is the starter, Yates is the backup, and Keenum is the #3. Until I see something that indicates Schaub cannot go, I will simply operate under the assumption that he can.

Now, if Schaub cannot go, then Yates becomes the starter and the Texans need a backup. I would select Billy Volek. He would be an excellent choice as a backup to Yates. He is 36 so he is a bit older but he is a crafty veteran. He could teach Yates some vet tricks. Since Volek is at the end of his career, he would understand his role is to be a backup and not someone competing to be a starter. He has played reasonably well when given the chance and could step in and right the ship.

Dixon is only 27 so he may be looking for a situation where he could compete for a starter's job rather than become the backup.

srrono
05-02-2012, 04:23 PM
If Grossman gets cut would you guys like him here in Houston again as a back up?

Never mind he just resign on saturday.
3/17/2012: Signed a one-year, $1.3 million contract

ObsiWan
05-02-2012, 06:43 PM
My response to the OP's query is "No." We need a vet backup.

1. Schaub
2. Vet backup (preferrably Delhomme)
3. Yates (when Yates consistently shows he can read the whole field - and not just look for AJ - and go thru his progressions, THEN he gets to move up to #2. Not a moment sooner.)
4. Keenum (P/S)

Thorn
05-02-2012, 06:51 PM
My response to the OP's query is "No." We need a vet backup.

1. Schaub
2. Vet backup (preferrably Delhomme)
3. Yates (when Yates consistently shows he can read the whole field - and not just look for AJ - and go thru his progressions, THEN he gets to move up to #2. Not a moment sooner.)
4. Keenum (P/S)

If Keenum goes on the practice squad, someone will sign him away. Keenum will be the 3rd QB no matter what. It's one of the two below:

Schaub, Yates, Keenum
OR Yates, ????, Keenum if Schaub doesn't return.

markn
05-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Can we start next season with Schaub, Yates and Keenum at QB?

Is this some kind of super-wildcat?

Rey
05-02-2012, 07:00 PM
If Keenum goes on the practice squad, someone will sign him away. Keenum will be the 3rd QB no matter what. It's one of the two below:

Schaub, Yates, Keenum
OR Yates, ????, Keenum if Schaub doesn't return.

That's what i think too.

I just think the schaub injury is going to put us in a tough situation.

G27RR
05-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Can we start next season with Schaub, Yates and Keenum at QB?

Is this some kind of super-wildcat?

:ahhaha:

Thorn
05-02-2012, 07:05 PM
That's what i think too.

I just think the schaub injury is going to put us in a tough situation.

With Schaub, I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best. That's about the only way I can put it. We NEED Schaub back in full form this season.

Wolf
05-02-2012, 07:15 PM
this was April 28th
Kubiak
(on if he thinks he’ll look at a veteran for the third quarterback or possibly an undrafted free agent) “First off, we’re not through today. Obviously, we’ve got the rookie free agents to deal with here after the draft, so that’s something that Rick (Smith) and I have talked about. Obviously, there’s a place for another one, another quarterback and possibly two as we head towards training camp. We’ll have to figure all of that out. There are still some quality players out there from last season and we’ll have to see how the draft pans out over the course of the last round and we’ll go from there.”
also a little over half way down on the page
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Rick-Smith-Gary-Kubiak-on-Draft/36d06ded-5c0a-4ce7-aa5a-3c65f51fc196

Hervoyel
05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
With Schaub, I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best. That's about the only way I can put it. We NEED Schaub back in full form this season.

I know he put together a couple of 16 game seasons but with Matt I just sort of expect that he'll miss time. His incomplete seasons outnumber his complete ones (by one year, ignoring his Atlanta time obviously) so I'd say he's as likely to miss 5-6 games next year as any starter in the league.

I just hope Yates is ready to play when the time comes.

CloakNNNdagger
05-02-2012, 09:33 PM
If Keenum shows Kubiak that he can adjust to the speed of the NFL, you may see him climbing the ladder sooner than you think.

Texan_Bill
05-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm sorry, but I think the Texans did themselves a great disservice by not drafting a QB because there is a HUGE chance that Schaub may not ever return from his Lisfranc injury...

Don't get me wrong, I like Yates and I love the fact that the Texans signed Keenum, but neither one are ready to take this team where we need to go in the event that Schaub can't go.

PapaL
05-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Why are we do certain some other team is going to sign our UDFA QB? That means they cannot PS him and he's on their roster all year.

Don't see the logic here.

Rey
05-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Why are we do certain some other team is going to sign our UDFA QB? That means they cannot PS him and he's on their roster all year.

Not all year I don't think. I believe it's for a shorter period of time.

That said, I think some team that is doing bad and has maybe had some injuries at qb would take a chance on Keenum.

I felt like we could have put yates on the ps last season, but I'm glad we didn't expose him to being snatched up. Even though I believe he'd have still been there when we needed him.

Kubiak has grown into carrying three qb's on the roster. Yates is the new leinart and Keenum is the new Yates.

76Texan
05-02-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm sorry, but I think the Texans did themselves a great disservice by not drafting a QB because there is a HUGE chance that Schaub may not ever return from his Lisfranc injury...

Don't get me wrong, I like Yates and I love the fact that the Texans signed Keenum, but neither one are ready to take this team where we need to go in the event that Schaub can't go.

And who would you suggest that they drafted?

disaacks3
05-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Until I see Schaub in uniform and throwing the ball, I'm thinking Yates will be starting the year. I'd much rather have Schaub healthy and starting, Yates backing up and Case learning. That would be ideal. But I'm just not convinced yet Schaub is coming back on time.

If that happens, Kubes will stick with Yates and bring in a veteran backup from somewhere, leaving Case still 3rd string and learning. Exactly where I'm at.

And you know this how ?

They made no attempt to shore up the position behind Schaub and Yates via draft or FA to this point. That should tell you something .... It tells me that they're very confident in Yates (understandably). We'll still see another vet in camp, bank on it.

I just want to know why so many people are certain Schaub won't start the year. From what I've read, he is expected to be back for training camp. If he is unable to return, I have no problem with Yates filling in until Schaub is ready. A couple of reasons:
1) A doctor on here I trust with my life states the timeframe they're promoting isn't all that likely.

2) The Texans doctors haven't given me much hope when dealing with/predicting recovery from MAJOR injuries. (Boselli, Joppru, Putzier, Spencer...the list goes on)

3) The Texans feel ZERO need to "rush" him back. I think they're really comfortable with Yates starting the season if need be.

Lucky
05-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Ryan Leaf.
Mr. Leaf will not be available.

Signed,
Texas Department of Corrections

If Grossman gets cut would you guys like him here in Houston again as a back up?

Never mind he just resign on saturday.
3/17/2012: Signed a one-year, $1.3 million contract
If Grossman were to get cut prior to the opener, I would sign him as the #3. I would also consider bringing in Beck to compete with Keenum for #3. I think Kubiak is a better developer of QBs than the Shannys. But, it will not surprise me to see Keenum win the #3 job outright in camp and force himself on the roster. I would just like to see a vet brought in for competition sake.

Texan_Bill
05-02-2012, 10:44 PM
And who would you suggest that they drafted?

Vince Young!!! :kitten:

Seriously? A similar QB to Yates... What's wrong with having Yates, Keenum and QB "XXXX" in your stable? Not sayin', just sayin'!! Maybe even signing a vet for camp fodder?

76Texan
05-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Vince Young!!! :kitten:

Seriously? A similar QB to Yates... What's wrong with having Yates, Keenum and QB "XXXX" in your stable? Not sayin', just sayin'!! Maybe even signing a vet for camp fodder?

Well, if the Texans wanted to draft a QB that has the experience level of Yates, they had to take Russell Wilson.
Wilson was drafted one slot ahead of Brandon Brooks, so actually, we would have to take Wilson in Posier's slot.
(That means Jacoby stays, ouch!)

Wilson played in the WCO at NC St and in a pro-style offense at Wisc (with many similarities to the WCO, but they block man instead of zone).
At any rate, Wilson qualifies, but he's even shorter than Keenum.

Or they can take Kirk Cousins who ran the WCO at Mich St. (that's why Shanahan took him 3 spots after we took Ben Jones - Cousins is an insurance policy for RGIII.)
The Texans will have to take him in Ben Jones' slot.
Thing is, Cousins didn't play as well as Yates did (his Senior year) - always arguably, but that's how I saw it.
And now Yates is a year ahead of Cousins in the Texans system (which UNC copied more so than Mich. St.)
So Cousins isn't an upgrade over Yates (at least in the short term).

Personally, I can accomodate you if I'm Rick Smith.
I would take Wilson, foregoing Posier, keeping Jacoby (but not allowing him on the return unit - let K.Martin take over that duty).
Then I will also take Cousins and sell him to Kubiak's former boss for a profit.
The two teams ahead of Wash don't neet a Center, so we make Shanahan take Ben Jones and trade Cousins to Wash for B. Jones and a 7th rounder or a future 6th :)

All kidding aside, if I can cherry pick the draft, I would have taken Wilson and Keenum. Either one of them can make the receivers look good.
Both of them, IMHO, are better QB than Yates.
The only thing Yates has that they don't have is the size, nothing else.

In short, if we were to take another QB, we most likely have to keep Jacoby.
We can settle for another WR, but we would lose a good prospect on the O-line.
It's a tough job being a GM. :ant:

SteveSlaton20
05-03-2012, 01:35 AM
I think Schaub will be ready by TC rolls around.

If he doesn't recover by then, then I would call Jake Delhomme again. He played well in the last game against the Titans, so I have no problem with him being the 3rd QB. If Schaub is fine though, I wouldn't mind letting Case Keenum being the 3rd QB.

ObsiWan
05-03-2012, 08:05 AM

Before making it onto our practice squad, a player has to clear waivers. I think (and I'm still googling this) that said player does not have to go onto the 53-man squad at that point.

However, if our guy, say Keenum, makes it thru waivers and onto our P/S, then he can be signed to any other team but must count against their 53-man roster for a minimum of three weeks.

Oh and no signing guys off practice squads right before you play his former team; moves that involve signing players off your next opponent must be completed at least six days prior to that game.

ckhouston
05-03-2012, 08:22 AM
I think Schaub will be ready by TC rolls around.

If he doesn't recover by then, then I would call Jake Delhomme again. He played well in the last game against the Titans, so I have no problem with him being the 3rd QB. If Schaub is fine though, I wouldn't mind letting Case Keenum being the 3rd QB.

Delhomme has made it pretty clear he is retired.

No way Schaub is ready by training camp. If he was 100% by mid-season it would be impressive.

Right now Yates is #1 and Case #2 until we sign a back-up.

Rey
05-03-2012, 08:37 AM
:dancer:Mr. Leaf will not be available.

Signed,
Texas Department of Corrections

If Grossman were to get cut prior to the opener, I would sign him as the #3. I would also consider bringing in Beck to compete with Keenum for #3. I think Kubiak is a better developer of QBs than the Shannys. But, it will not surprise me to see Keenum win the #3 job outright in camp and force himself on the roster. I would just like to see a vet brought in for competition sake.

According to Kubiak they are most likely to bring in another QB...they jut don't know whether it'll be an old guy or a young guy...

I'd imagine Delhomme is still in the roladex.

SteveSlaton20
05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Delhomme has made it pretty clear he is retired.

No way Schaub is ready by training camp. If he was 100% by mid-season it would be impressive.

Right now Yates is #1 and Case #2 until we sign a back-up.

I haven't seen anything on Delhomme being retired for sure? Is there an article that I missed or something?

TexanSam
05-03-2012, 12:22 PM
I haven't seen anything on Delhomme being retired for sure? Is there an article that I missed or something?

I think he mentioned going back to retirement after the Ravens game.

CloakNNNdagger
05-03-2012, 02:25 PM
i haven't seen anything on delhomme being retired for sure? Is there an article that i missed or something?

fwiw.

nick scurfield ‏ @nickscurfield
qb jake delhomme, who turned 37 last week, all but said he's retiring in the #texans locker room today
11:09 am - 16 jan 12 via web · embed this tweet

delhomme leaning toward retirement after stint with texans
nfl.com
published: Jan. 16, 2012 at 01:34 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 16, 2012 at 04:32 p.m.

Houston texans quarterback jake delhomme isn't ready to say he's officially retiring, but the 14-year veteran admits his playing career is likely over after sunday's season-ending 20-13 loss to the baltimore ravens.

"i'm being very realistic," delhomme told the houston chronicle on monday. "i turned 37 last week. I'm not moving my family. I'm (not) going somewhere to start over. This kind of fell into my lap, so to speak."

delhomme joined the texans on nov. 29 after the team worked out several veterans to provide depth at quarterback. Matt schaub and matt leinart both suffered season-ending injuries, forcing rookie t.j. Yates into the starting lineup.

Though delhomme didn't reach a decision after the game, he said he would have no trouble calling it a career after this season.

"you never want to say never," delhomme said. "but ... To come to a place like this, where everybody's on the same page, to see the way these guys work, it's been great. If i've left this game, i've left it on a high note."

delhomme's lone appearance of the season came during a 23-22 loss to the tennessee titans in the regular-season finale. His last play of the season -- and possibly his career -- was a 5-yard touchdown pass to bryant johnson.

ObsiWan
05-04-2012, 01:41 AM
well.... crap

Jake's retired.
HotTubBoy has signed with the Raiders...
Garcia (and his hottie wife) is still out there I guess

I'd feel better with a vet helping to groom/push Yates. Or am I the only one really uneasy going into the new season with all of 7-1/2 games of NFL experience behind Schaub??

Thorn
05-04-2012, 06:38 AM
well.... crap

Jake's retired.
HotTubBoy has signed with the Raiders...
Garcia (and his hottie wife) is still out there I guess

I'd feel better with a vet helping to groom/push Yates. Or am I the only one really uneasy going into the new season with all of 7-1/2 games of NFL experience behind Schaub??

I don't think you give Yates enough credit. But you're right about one thing, he ain't no Schaub. We need Schuab to come back. If Schaub is only late coming back, and misses some early games, we still have a shot at the SB. If not, well, I'm not optimistic about a super bowl season without him.

Stranger things have happened in the NFL though.

The Pencil Neck
05-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't think you give Yates enough credit. But you're right about one thing, he ain't no Schaub. We need Schuab to come back. If Schaub is only late coming back, and misses some early games, we still have a shot at the SB. If not, well, I'm not optimistic about a super bowl season without him.

Stranger things have happened in the NFL though.

^^^

This.

Even though I think Yates has the stuff to be a great QB in this league, I don't think this year is a SB year without Schaub coming back healthy and tearing it up. I just don't expect Schaub to start the season. I think our first few games are going to be with Yates at the helm and I think Yates is going to play better than he did last season.

But we need Schaub.

ckhouston
05-04-2012, 10:59 AM
I think our first few games are going to be with Yates at the helm and I think Yates is going to play better than he did last season.

If that happens, which I agree it will, and we are winning ... why would you disrupt that to bring in Schaub? Who has proven himself to be injury prone, and isn't even signed past this year.

Just do not see that happening.

If Yates gets all the snaps in camp (which he will), develops a good chemistry with the team, and starts the year off well (which I believe he will), you don't mess with that .. you let it keep rolling.

People forget that Yates ran this system for four years under Butch Davis, so there is no systematic learning curve. The only thing Yates lacks and Matt has is experience with the players on this team ... on the field. He will get that in camp, and will come out a much more polished product than we witnessed last year when he was thrown to the wolves.

Folks do not give this kid enough credit for what he was able to accomplish last year, they just want to focus on his mistakes. He is a better athlete than Matt. More mobile, has a stronger arm, and in my opinion is more accurate (based on my contention that many of Matts completions come from receivers adjusting to over-thrown, under-thrown, or misplaced passes by Schaub).

I for one am excited to see what Yates can do this year. I think many of you will be surprised.

The Pencil Neck
05-04-2012, 12:08 PM
If that happens, which I agree it will, and we are winning ... why would you disrupt that to bring in Schaub? Who has proven himself to be injury prone, and isn't even signed past this year.

Yates would have to be killing it and putting up Rodgers types of numbers to keep Schaub on the bench. I know you hate Schaub and you're always talking about how over-rated he is and everything but the guy led the league in passing a couple of years ago. He knows this offense and can run this offense much better than Yates can.

If Yates gets all the snaps in camp (which he will), develops a good chemistry with the team, and starts the year off well (which I believe he will), you don't mess with that .. you let it keep rolling.

I don't expect him to play that lights out. He'd have to be having a phenomenal, Peyton-like year. I don't expect that to happen.

People forget that Yates ran this system for four years under Butch Davis, so there is no systematic learning curve. The only thing Yates lacks and Matt has is experience with the players on this team ... on the field. He will get that in camp, and will come out a much more polished product than we witnessed last year when he was thrown to the wolves.

I am not forgetting that. And I expect him to be better. But I don't expect him to be borderline-elite. And I know you don't agree, but Schaub is borderline elite.

Folks do not give this kid enough credit for what he was able to accomplish last year, they just want to focus on his mistakes. He is a better athlete than Matt. More mobile, has a stronger arm, and in my opinion is more accurate (based on my contention that many of Matts completions come from receivers adjusting to over-thrown, under-thrown, or misplaced passes by Schaub).

I for one am excited to see what Yates can do this year. I think many of you will be surprised.

I consider myself to be on the Yates bandwagon. I think he's got the potential to be better than Matt. I just don't see him being a better option than Matt this year.

HOU-TEX
05-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Yates would have to be killing it and putting up Rodgers types of numbers to keep Schaub on the bench. I know you hate Schaub and you're always talking about how over-rated he is and everything but the guy led the league in passing a couple of years ago. He knows this offense and can run this offense much better than Yates can.

I don't expect him to play that lights out. He'd have to be having a phenomenal, Peyton-like year. I don't expect that to happen.

I am not forgetting that. And I expect him to be better. But I don't expect him to be borderline-elite. And I know you don't agree, but Schaub is borderline elite.

I consider myself to be on the Yates bandwagon. I think he's got the potential to be better than Matt. I just don't see him being a better option than Matt this year.

Agreed!

However, I'm one that believes Schaub will be ready by camp and will be the starter against Miami. I've heard nothing that would make me think otherwise.

2012Champs
05-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Yates sure showed his accuracy with those INTs and many dropped/call back INTS. And his mobility was more than apparent in his ability to escape the sack like how his sacks per game number was better than Schaub eer wait no it wasnt

Thorn
05-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Agreed!

However, I'm one that believes Schaub will be ready by camp and will be the starter against Miami. I've heard nothing that would make me think otherwise.

I can't imagine anyone wanting anything other than that. Doesn't keep us from being Yates and Keenum fans though. :)

Goldensilence
05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
I know he put together a couple of 16 game seasons but with Matt I just sort of expect that he'll miss time. His incomplete seasons outnumber his complete ones (by one year, ignoring his Atlanta time obviously) so I'd say he's as likely to miss 5-6 games next year as any starter in the league.

I just hope Yates is ready to play when the time comes.

It's bad when fans can forsee their starting QB missing time in a season in account for the season. Matt is venturing into Chris Chandler territory. When healthy he's a starter that's capable of taking a team to a super bowl, problem is keeping him healthy.

To me this TC could very well be an audition for the starting spot at QB after this coming year. I'm not a GM, but I would be hesitant to invest franchise money in a QB who for 3 of the 5 seasons here has missed significant time in a season.

ckhouston
05-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Yates sure showed his accuracy with those INTs and many dropped/call back INTS. And his mobility was more than apparent in his ability to escape the sack like how his sacks per game number was better than Schaub eer wait no it wasnt

Yes ... lets crucify Yates for his stats over a hand-full of games, and put Mr-injured-list sack totals up against his based on only a hand-full of games. Are you really implying that Schaub is as mobile as Yates? You folks are amusing.

We will see. Camp and season is the only way we will know the real outcome. I can debate all day and all of you who have your little hearts pitter-patter every time the name of Matt Schaub is mentioned will defend him to the death. Wait until the year starts and we will see. Until then we are all just speculating, and unfairly judging Yates on his very brief sampling of work. Whoever starts and whoever plays I just want the Texans to win. Go Texans!

ckhouston
05-04-2012, 03:14 PM
I know you hate Schaub and you're always talking about how over-rated he is

Don't hate anyone, but yes I do think Matt is over-rated. Eight years in the league with five as a starter and only two top caliber years to show for it. Just don't see anywhere near elite there.

2012Champs
05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Yes ... lets crucify Yates for his stats over a hand-full of games, and put Mr-injured-list sack totals up against his based on only a hand-full of games. Are you really implying that Schaub is as mobile as Yates? You folks are amusing.

We will see. Camp and season is the only way we will know the real outcome. I can debate all day and all of you who have your little hearts pitter-patter every time the name of Matt Schaub is mentioned will defend him to the death. Wait until the year starts and we will see. Until then we are all just speculating, and unfairly judging Yates on his very brief sampling of work. Whoever starts and whoever plays I just want the Texans to win. Go Texans!

Yates wasnt some accurate mobile QB that you make him out to be. Im not sure you are for the Texans just winning, you have an extreme hate boner for Schaub.

infantrycak
05-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Are you really implying that Schaub is as mobile as Yates?

Are you really implying that is all that counts in avoiding sacks? It's an absurdity. Manning is a statue but he has good pocket presence, a quick release and good field vision. That adds up to more than mobility. Compare Vick v. Manning sacks.

Don't hate anyone, but yes I do think Matt is over-rated. Eight years in the league with five as a starter and only two top caliber years to show for it. Just don't see anywhere near elite there.

Four of five years (the last four) with QB ratings in the 90's spells he is part of the discussion. Leading the league in passing puts you in the discussion. Being the 6th QB in NFL history to pass for 9000 yards in two seasons puts you in the discussion.

Corrosion
05-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Are you really implying that is all that counts in avoiding sacks? It's an absurdity. Manning is a statue but he has good pocket presence, a quick release and good field vision. That adds up to more than mobility. Compare Vick v. Manning sacks.

Four of five years (the last four) with QB ratings in the 90's spells he is part of the discussion. Leading the league in passing puts you in the discussion. Being the 6th QB in NFL history to pass for 9000 yards in two seasons puts you in the discussion.

Schaub's a lot better than he's given credit for ....

ckhouston
05-04-2012, 04:21 PM

Not implying anything, was asking a question. I wasn't the one who put mobility and sacks in the same reference. I said Yates was mobile and was given the "sack stat" as a reason why he wasn't, or why Matt was, or whatever ... hence the question.

Based on your ratings and all your stats I guess Cam Newton is elite as well. He had a good year too. Set records and such I think. Lets anoint him.

The Pencil Neck
05-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Based on your ratings and all your stats I guess Cam Newton is elite as well. He had a good year too. Set records and such I think. Lets anoint him.

Cam is, kinda, the heir apparent. So, yeah, at this point, he's the Anointed One of QBs. He put together an amazing season for a rook. If he develops and grows and that's not all he's got, then he'll grow into being an elite QB. You don't get there after 1 season.

disaacks3
05-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Schaub's a lot better than he's given credit for .... Nah, he's just a "System QB". :fingergun:

infantrycak
05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I wasn't the one who put mobility and sacks in the same reference. I said Yates was mobile and was given the "sack stat" as a reason why he wasn't, or why Matt was, or whatever ... hence the question.

You're missing the point. Mobility and sacks have no direct correlation. So being mobile (which you asserted) isn't necessarily a benefit. So saying Yates is more mobile than Schaub is useless unless it is accompanied by vision and decision making. Everyone gets it. You don't like Schaub.

Rey
05-04-2012, 06:55 PM
In no way shape or form was Yates better than schaub.

I'd like schaub to do a little bit more, but let's not be ridiculous. He's a really good qb overall.

Maybe schaub will be in the elite discussion when he has the opportunity to perform on a big stage. Maybe just more play off appearances gets him there.

Honestly, I don't think he will ever be considered elite on the same level as the top qb's in the game. A tier below, sure. And there's nothing wrong with that really.

ckhouston
05-05-2012, 08:02 AM
So being mobile (which you asserted) isn't necessarily a benefit.

See Mike Vick, Steve McNair, John Elway, Cam Newton, Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach ..... etc ..... etc ..... etc.

welsh texan
05-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not jumping on board with ckh in this discussion, but right now, we can't be certain that Schaub is, or ever will be again, better than Yates.

The thing that worries me is even if he is able to play, how well is he going to adapt to his new foot? I think that could change his mechanics and may upset his throwing motion.

Schaub's career to date leaves him not too far away from that elite status, while not really putting himself in the discussion. Great stats but a few question marks over decision making. You certainly wouldn't get rid unless you'd lucked into a huge upgrade, kinda like the Tom Brady situation.

However, since the injury, we can't expect the same QB even if he's healthy enough to play, just got to hope for the best.

I think it'd take a big improvement not only from Yates but from everyone around him to post a 10 win season if he plays QB all year for us, with a pre-injury Schaub I'd say it was a certainty whether people improve or not.

Victor B
05-05-2012, 12:48 PM
I say we can roll with those 3. Yates will have last year's experience plus a full offseason this year. No other vet is going to give you a better shot then that. Yates knows the system and how things work. You keep Keenum at #3.

If Matt isn't able to play immediately, can't you put him on the DL and go: Yates, #2 vet QB, Keenum? Then when Matt comes back you drop the #2 vet.

The Pencil Neck
05-05-2012, 01:26 PM
I say we can roll with those 3. Yates will have last year's experience plus a full offseason this year. No other vet is going to give you a better shot then that. Yates knows the system and how things work. You keep Keenum at #3.

If Matt isn't able to play immediately, can't you put him on the DL and go: Yates, #2 vet QB, Keenum? Then when Matt comes back you drop the #2 vet.

I really don't think Matt will work on the defensive line (DL). I think his foot will be a problem there.

Football doesn't have a "DL" like baseball does. They closest they've got is the PUP. To be on the PUP, he has to go onto the PUP before training camp starts and won't be allowed to practice. If he practices, he's off the PUP for good. If he's still on the PUP when the season starts, then he has to miss the first 6 games of the season and has a 3 game window to come back.

The Texans and Matt are both saying that he'll be ready for TC. But I expect him to start TC on the PUP. Whether he starts the season on the PUP will be interesting and telling. I expect him to be PUPd for the season and to miss the first 6 games.

welsh texan
05-05-2012, 01:36 PM
I really don't think Matt will work on the defensive line (DL). I think his foot will be a problem there.

Football doesn't have a "DL" like baseball does. They closest they've got is the PUP. To be on the PUP, he has to go onto the PUP before training camp starts and won't be allowed to practice. If he practices, he's off the PUP for good. If he's still on the PUP when the season starts, then he has to miss the first 6 games of the season and has a 3 game window to come back.

The Texans and Matt are both saying that he'll be ready for TC. But I expect him to start TC on the PUP. Whether he starts the season on the PUP will be interesting and telling. I expect him to be PUPd for the season and to miss the first 6 games.

What benefit is there to PUPing him? Does his salary come off the cap? Extra roster spot till he returns?

The Pencil Neck
05-05-2012, 01:48 PM
What benefit is there to PUPing him? Does his salary come off the cap? Extra roster spot till he returns?

Extra roster spot until he returns.

Victor B
05-07-2012, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the clarification! I agree with your theory. I assume if they are looking to bring 4 Qb's to camp then Matt isn't going to be ready.

I'd be fine with him being on the PUP for those 6 games. I think Yates will do an adequate job in his place with a full offseason, and reps with the 1st team under his belt.

Texecutioner
05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not jumping on board with ckh in this discussion, but right now, we can't be certain that Schaub is, or ever will be again, better than Yates.

UUmm yeah we can. He is light years ahead of Yates and it's not even close. I can't even believe that anyone would even remotely think that Yates was better than Schaub after those last 4 games from Yates last season.

If Yates played on the Jags last season, no question he would have been dogged just as badly as Gabbert was on this site, but since he played for the Texans (And not that well I might add) people come up with these crazy notions that he might be a better fit than Schaub. Not even close. I'm almost at the point where I hope that Yates does start for the first 8 games so people can see how average that kid is, and hopefully this stuff will finally stop. The bad thing is that if that ever happens is that it will probably hurt the Texans chances of competing as a top team in the AFC again, unless the AFC South is horrible again.

Your criticisms of Schaub are laughable man. THe guy has been top 10 in this league for like 4 straight years now. He may not be elite and he'll never be elite, but he's not that far from that group. He has certainly been right there with guys like Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, and Ton Romo. Not a bad group to be amongst at all. Your entire premise is basically that since Schaub isn't elite, that he is trash and because of that we should put out some 5th rounder who looked terrible as a starter last season who probably would never even crack the top 10 in this league if his life depended on it.

Schaub may not be mobile, but you don't have to be mobile to be a winner or to be a great QB in this league. Schaub was leading this team to a great season last year, and when he got hurt this offense took a nose dive big time. Yates came in there and the team had to carry him. Hell, the guy couldn't even do squat against that awful Colts team led by Orvlosky.

CretorFrigg
05-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Since it's the offseason, I was going through some YouTube videos to satisfy my football needs, and I came across this gem: www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sA-pWv9sc

TJ Yate's final drive against the Bengals. It's a beauty.

Rey
05-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Since it's the offseason, I was going through some YouTube videos to satisfy my football needs, and I came across this gem: www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sA-pWv9sc

TJ Yate's final drive against the Bengals. It's a beauty.

Just a reminder that the kid has tons of talent.

He looked just as good or better than most rookie qb's on that drive.

If Yates were a late first round pick and was starting all year I think we'd look at him similar to how the bengals view Dalton.

The guy made plays last year. Yeah he had quite a few rough moments, but c'mon. The guy was battling the odds big time.

I'm completely comfortable with yates as a starter. Sue me.

Rey
05-07-2012, 07:37 PM
And no right now he's still not better than shammy until proven otherwise.

drs23
05-07-2012, 08:44 PM
UUmm yeah we can. He is light years ahead of Yates and it's not even close. I can't even believe that anyone would even remotely think that Yates was better than Schaub after those last 4 games from Yates last season.

If Yates played on the Jags last season, no question he would have been dogged just as badly as Gabbert was on this site, but since he played for the Texans (And not that well I might add) people come up with these crazy notions that he might be a better fit than Schaub. Not even close. I'm almost at the point where I hope that Yates does start for the first 8 games so people can see how average that kid is, and hopefully this stuff will finally stop. The bad thing is that if that ever happens is that it will probably hurt the Texans chances of competing as a top team in the AFC again, unless the AFC South is horrible again.

Your criticisms of Schaub are laughable man. THe guy has been top 10 in this league for like 4 straight years now. He may not be elite and he'll never be elite, but he's not that far from that group. He has certainly been right there with guys like Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, and Ton Romo. Not a bad group to be amongst at all. Your entire premise is basically that since Schaub isn't elite, that he is trash and because of that we should put out some 5th rounder who looked terrible as a starter last season who probably would never even crack the top 10 in this league if his life depended on it.

Schaub may not be mobile, but you don't have to be mobile to be a winner or to be a great QB in this league. Schaub was leading this team to a great season last year, and when he got hurt this offense took a nose dive big time. Yates came in there and the team had to carry him. Hell, the guy couldn't even do squat against that awful Colts team led by Orvlosky.

And the refs. C'mon Tex, did ya watch the game? Had it not been for the officiating that game was in the bag with Mega Watt having several more sacks. C'mon Man!

Dan 'O beating us, really??

Rey
05-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Yates only threw 16 passed against the colts and he connected on 13 of them.

If Dan o beat us maybe *gasp* the defense should shoulder some of the blame.

eriadoc
05-07-2012, 09:01 PM
UUmm yeah we can. He is light years ahead of Yates and it's not even close.

Agreed.

If Yates played on the Jags last season, no question he would have been dogged just as badly as Gabbert was on this site, but since he played for the Texans (And not that well I might add) people come up with these crazy notions that he might be a better fit than Schaub.

Massive disagreement. Yates is light years ahead of Gabbert. Some folks on this board need to dial back their Schaub hatred; you need to dial back your Yates hatred. The guy showed enough to think that he might possibly develop into a starter one day.

ckhouston
05-08-2012, 06:37 AM

Matt Schaubs dad? Is that you?

G27RR
05-08-2012, 03:48 PM
More tidbits on Schaub. They're still playing the very optimistic tune.
From http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcsouth&id=36885

Edited to fix a cut and paste error.

We’re often Doubting Thomases by nature, and that’s kind of where I fallonMatt Schaub's foot.

I’ll believe he’s ready for training camp when I see him looking 100 percent at the start of camp.

Texans quarterback Matt Schaub says his injured foot is healing "right on schedule."

But Gary Kubiak and Schaub himself said again Monday that the quarterback will be fine for camp. His 2011 season ended Nov. 13 when Tampa Bay’s Albert Haynesworth
twisted up Schaub’s right foot, causing a serious lis franc injury that needed to be repaired surgically.

“Doing great,” Schaub said at the team’s golf tournament. “Feeling real good. Making a lot of progress with rehab, so things are right on schedule ...”

“It’s just a matter of time. There’s no more major milestones, it’s just staying with the program, staying true to the plan, and really the next milestone is training camp in my opinion. That’s when everything really gets going.”

Kubiak said the team will have to hold Schaub back through OTAs and minicamp.

“If we’re not paying attention, he’ll do everything, but we’re not going to let him do that,” Kubiak said. “We’re going to put the reins on him, so to speak. He will do drill work, could throw some 7-on-7, but he will not be put in a team environment where he might get tripped up or something like that happens. He’s ready to go. It’s us being cautious with him right now.”

I think the Texans would have been a big part of the conversation about AFC favorites before cap troubles and free agency stripped out some key guys, particularly the right side of the offensive line, where guard Mike Brisiel
hit the jackpot with Oakland in free agency, and Eric Winston was released to cut costs.

Still, this is a team that endured a ton of injuries last season, including losing Schaub for six regular season and two playoff games.

A healthy version of the Texans in a division where the competition isn’t particularly strong might not be in position to get a bye and home-field advantage, but would certainly qualify as the favorite to win the AFC South.

“Well, it’s great to be in that [Super Bowl contender] conversation,” Schaub said. “We’ve made a lot of strides, it’s been a lot of hard work and blood, sweat and tears put into this over the years. To finally be there is great. “But they’re just words, and we need to go out and prove it year-in and year-out. So we need to turn around and go and be right back there at the end of the season this year.”

CloakNNNdagger
05-08-2012, 04:15 PM

I find it somewhat curious that the article's introductory remarks by the author (who follows the Texans closely) have been omitted.

By Paul Kuharsky

We’re often Doubting Thomases by nature, and that’s kind of where I fall on Matt Schaub's foot.

I’ll believe he’s ready for training camp when I see him looking 100 percent at the start of camp.

ckhouston
05-08-2012, 04:24 PM
I find it somewhat curious that the article's introductory remarks by the author (who follows the Texans closely) have been omitted.

Do you really find that curious? With the man-love toward Matt on this site ... really?

I find it par for the course.

Rey
05-08-2012, 04:27 PM

Seems like the same stuff they've been saying for a while now.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Until then, I'm hoping Schaub will be back but expecting Yates to be the opening day starter. And if he does start I think there could possibly be a bit of a QB controversy because I think Yates will play well...

GP
05-08-2012, 04:29 PM
I can't believe Kuharsky said "..and that's where I fall on Matt's foot."

Really, Paul? REALLY? Damn, man. Choice of words, my friend. Choice of words....

Texecutioner
05-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Agreed.

Massive disagreement. Yates is light years ahead of Gabbert. Some folks on this board need to dial back their Schaub hatred; you need to dial back your Yates hatred. The guy showed enough to think that he might possibly develop into a starter one day.

Could Yates develop as a starter one day?? Sure.

Now, that being said his ceiling as a starter will never be that high. He'll be a 20-32 ranked guy at the QB position if he is ever a full time starter in this league. Now, who in their right mind would want that kind of guy to be your starter when you're in a position to take a year or two to find Schaub's replacement? Not me. Hell, for all of the people that have bitched about Schaub over the years, you'd think they'd be after a guy who will be an elite type of QB for years to come. Anyone thinking Yates could develop into an elite QB is smoking some serious stuff if you ask me. That kid showed some stuff last season for sure. You're right. He showed that he could be a game manager. I don't ever want to have my starter be a guy who is just one of those game manager types of QB's. Kubiak didn't trust Yates to do squat and the offense dropped off horribly under Yates. Our defense was keeping us in games where all Yates had to do was make a few throws and hand the ball off. This is a QB's league, and I'm not interested in having just some average guy at QB like Flacco or mark Sanchez. Sure, you can win with guys like that, but your team will have to carry them.

I'll dial back the hate on Yates when people in this city drop these crazy assertions that he is anywhere close to Schaub or that he should be this team's next starter. When he is thought of as nothing but a back up, I'll be happy to have him here.

And the refs. C'mon Tex, did ya watch the game? Had it not been for the officiating that game was in the bag with Mega Watt having several more sacks. C'mon Man!

Dan 'O beating us, really??

The officials made some bad calls, but so what. The Colts should have never been in that game in the first place. You let a team drive down the field and get that close in the 4th quarter, than you put yourself in a vulnerable position. Why is it that Yates wasn't allowed to throw the ball hardly? We had hardly any offense at all in that game, and Yates isn't capable of tossing it all around the field, and Kubiak isn't going to let him any way. Yates lost to two division rivals at the end of the season and other than the Bengals game, there wasn't one impressive game from him really.

Matt Schaubs dad? Is that you?

I guess this is the kind of stuff that people have to write when they aren't capable of writing out a rebuttal that makes sense with solid points. I'm not surprised though.

Thorn
05-08-2012, 05:05 PM

Now, that being said his ceiling as a starter will never be that high. He'll be a 20-32 ranked guy at the QB position if he is ever a full time starter in this league. Now, who in their right mind would want that kind of guy to be your starter when you're in a position to take a year or two to find Schaub's replacement? Not me. Hell, for all of the people that have bitched about Schaub over the years, you'd think they'd be after a guy who will be an elite type of QB for years to come. Anyone thinking Yates could develop into an elite QB is smoking some serious stuff if you ask me. That kid showed some stuff last season for sure. You're right. He showed that he could be a game manager. I don't ever want to have my starter be a guy who is just one of those game manager types of QB's. Kubiak didn't trust Yates to do squat and the offense dropped off horribly under Yates. Our defense was keeping us in games where all Yates had to do was make a few throws and hand the ball off. This is a QB's league, and I'm not interested in having just some average guy at QB like Flacco or mark Sanchez. Sure, you can win with guys like that, but your team will have to carry them.

I'll dial back the hate on Yates when people in this city drop these crazy assertions that he is anywhere close to Schaub or that he should be this team's next starter. When he is thought of as nothing but a back up, I'll be happy to have him here.

Your point about QB game managers as opposed to real QBs is a good one, but I do think you underestimate Yates. And yes, as a young man I did smoke some serious stuff. :fingergun:

Texecutioner
05-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Your point about QB game managers as opposed to real QBs is a good one, but I do think you underestimate Yates. And yes, as a young man I did smoke some serious stuff. :fingergun:

Well sorry, but after Schaub I'd like to be working with some real deal prolific passer. I saw nothing in Yates to suggest that he'll ever turn into that kind of player. People got all excited about the guy, because this team was winning games and on a winning streak that they had never seen before, and they had to feel something. People wanted to believe in Yates, and the people that did got their hearts broken. Sure, he was a rookie, but the offense was nothing with him in there and Kubiak isn't going to trust him that much either. If you want a guy who could develop into the next Joe Flacco or Jason Campbell, than hey Yates is your guy. I figured that folks would have higher standards for the kind of QB they'd want after Schaub though, but instead it seems like people are perfectly fine with a downgrade at the position. Either that, or the minute someone puts a Texans uniform on people just add all this extra potential to a guy that isn't really there. At best, all I see Yates becoming would be another Jason Campbell type of QB.

Rey
05-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Yates lost to two division rivals at the end of the season and other than the Bengals game, there wasn't one impressive game from him really.

Are you counting the Titans loss as one of the division losses at the end of the year?

He only played one series going 4/4 for about 50 yards which led to a Ben Tate touchdown...

Seriously, I think you need to go back and watch Yates more. His ceiling is pretty high IMO.

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't know what's between Yates' ears or what's in his heart but physically, I think he's more athletically gifted than Schaub is. He can make all the throws that Schaub can make and I think he can make them better.

I don't know if he has Schaub's accuracy. I know he tried to thread the ball through some tight spaces and made some of those throws last year. But I don't know if he always puts the ball where he intended to.

But for me, the main two things that stand between TJ Yates and being at least a very good Schaub-like quarterback is his brain and his heart. I don't know if he can read defenses like Schaub can. I don't know if he can have as much control of the offense as Schaub does or if he can, how long it will take him to get there. I don't know if he has the will to get to that point.

I don't think he has a low ceiling. If he has the brain and the desire, I think he can be a very good QB in this system.

Texecutioner
05-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Are you counting the Titans loss as one of the division losses at the end of the year?

He only played one series going 4/4 for about 50 yards which led to a Ben Tate touchdown...

Seriously, I think you need to go back and watch Yates more. His ceiling is pretty high IMO.

Ceiling is pretty high how?? Because he plays for your favorite team?? Funny, that I don't see fans from all over the rest of the league saying jack about Yates. Only Texans fans, and on this site I've noticed that it seems to be the ones that feel like every young player we have will turn into some star every year.

His arm isn't bad, but it isn't great either. He seems very lack luster, although that doesn't mean that he can't be good. He didn't show this huge amount of fire that some people have tried to claim. Hell, he was very Schaub/Flacco like in his demeanor. Most people hate that about Schaub including myself. I'll even admit that he does have better measurables than Schaub, but so does almost every other starting QB in the league in my eyes. Schaub is a strange QB that knows how to be effective though and he has been top 10 for several years now. I don't think many of you realize what a difference that makes as oppose to having a game manager which is all that Yates was. Once Schaub went down the Texans instantly went from being one of the most fire powered offenses in the league to being a dull and boring offense on a team that was carried by their defense for the rest of the season. Now, granted AJ was out and that mattered some, but we had one of the worst offenses in the league once Schaub was out.

I also think that you and others need to go back and watch those games and you might remember that those completions you're talking about were a ton of David Carr short throws over and over. He wasn't toting the ball around the field. He was throwing nothing but check down passes for the most part.

Thorn
05-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Well sorry, but after Schaub I'd like to be working with some real deal prolific passer. I saw nothing in Yates to suggest that he'll ever turn into that kind of player. People got all excited about the guy, because this team was winning games and on a winning streak that they had never seen before, and they had to feel something. People wanted to believe in Yates, and the people that did got their hearts broken. Sure, he was a rookie, but the offense was nothing with him in there and Kubiak isn't going to trust him that much either. If you want a guy who could develop into the next Joe Flacco or Jason Campbell, than hey Yates is your guy. I figured that folks would have higher standards for the kind of QB they'd want after Schaub though, but instead it seems like people are perfectly fine with a downgrade at the position. Either that, or the minute someone puts a Texans uniform on people just add all this extra potential to a guy that isn't really there. At best, all I see Yates becoming would be another Jason Campbell type of QB.

The problem with all this debating over Yates, is we haven't seen enough of him yet to really know yet, either good or bad. At the very worst, Yates has proven himself a damn good backup QB. This season, especially the pre-season, will tell us a lot. And as far as unsubstantiated potential goes, I would think Keenum would win in that department anyway.

disaacks3
05-08-2012, 05:39 PM

I guess this is the kind of stuff that people have to write when they aren't capable of writing out a rebuttal that makes sense with solid points. I'm not surprised though.

Well, you missed the solid pioint on Yates being 13-of-16 in the Colts game, but don't let that deter you from a good beat-down.

Hell, even Kubiak noticed , though it somehow slipped past your crystal ball.
“T.J. continues to do some good things,” coach Gary Kubiak said Friday. “You complete 13 out of 16 throws in this league, and you’re doing something right. We’ve got to trust him and move forward, and everybody’s got to do their job around him.”

Left tackle Duane Brown kept defensive end Dwight Freeney from getting Yates, but defensive end Robert Mathis beat right tackle Eric Winston for two sacks.

“We had some issues at certain spots in pass protection that we struggled most of the night, but there were some guys that played very well,” Kubiak said. “Duane played extremely well, went against one of the great players in the game. Eric’s a consistent player. He struggled with Mathis. I mean, they’ve got Pro Bowl players on both sides.

“The biggest disappointment for me, we had four sacks. Three out of those for sacks came when we were actually trying to help our tackles. They weren’t even singled up. We’ve got to protect our quarterback a lot better.” Link (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/12/kubiak-will-stick-with-yates-at-quarterback/)

For some reason, you seem hell-bent on disproving everyone's love of the kid by saying its overblown. I've got news for you, your over-the-top negative evaluation of his potential is even more overblown.

The kid was a ROOKIE. As a rookie, in THIS offense, being a "game manager" is phenomenal. You think that you can plug any ROOKIE into this offense and it'll just purr along? The coaches seem to think he has a bit higher ceiling than you do.

Yes, the offense dropped off. So what? Did you honestly think that losing Schaub, AJ, Arian, Brisiel, etc for weeks at a time was going to be a non-issue and "overcome" by a bright-eyed rookie? Now who's "Smoking something"? :rolleyes:

Rey
05-08-2012, 05:47 PM
well, you missed the solid pioint on yates being 13-of-16 in the colts game, but don't let that deter you from a good beat-down.

Hell, even kubiak noticed , though it somehow slipped past your crystal ball.
link (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/12/kubiak-will-stick-with-yates-at-quarterback/)

for some reason, you seem hell-bent on disproving everyone's love of the kid by saying its overblown. I've got news for you, your over-the-top negative evaluation of his potential is even more overblown.

The kid was a rookie. as a rookie, in this offense, being a "game manager" is phenomenal. you think that you can plug any rookie into this offense and it'll just purr along? The coaches seem to think he has a bit higher ceiling than you do.

Yes, the offense dropped off. So what? Did you honestly think that losing schaub, aj, arian, brisiel, etc for weeks at a time was going to be a non-issue and "overcome" by a bright-eyed rookie? Now who's "smoking something"? :rolleyes:

msr.

Texecutioner
05-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Well, you missed the solid pioint on Yates being 13-of-16 in the Colts game, but don't let that deter you from a good beat-down.

What is it with this 13-16 stat that has you so engulfed?? Lol! He threw nothing but a bunch of check down passes and looked no different than David Carr in Kubiak's first season here. Remember when Carr led the league in passer rating for a while, and folks tried to cling onto that meaningless stat at the time. No different here. How many points did Yates and the offense put up in that game?? Do you remember how many times the Texans went 4 and out?? Seriously that Colts game is one of the worst examples you could make to make an argument for Yates. He led a team that lost to one of the worst teams in the last ten years that had practically quit on the season. The Texans defense is the only reason why they were even in that game. The offense was atrocious.

Hell, even Kubiak noticed , though it somehow slipped past your crystal ball.
Link (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/12/kubiak-will-stick-with-yates-at-quarterback/)

For some reason, you seem hell-bent on disproving everyone's love of the kid by saying its overblown. I've got news for you, your over-the-top negative evaluation of his potential is even more overblown.

This is the exact same stuff you guys told me when Yates first got in there. Stop being negative and saying the Texans can't go all the way with Yates. Well sorry, but you can replace being a realist with doom and gloom or negativity or whatever you want, but I won't sit here and act any different about a player because he puts on a Texans uni. I either see a lot in the guy or I don't, and last season this great Texans offense that everyone loved to brag about became one of the worst offenses in the league once Yates became the starter.

The kid was a ROOKIE. As a rookie, in THIS offense, being a "game manager" is phenomenal. You think that you can plug any ROOKIE into this offense and it'll just purr along? The coaches seem to think he has a bit higher ceiling than you do.

You mean those same coaches that thought that we didn't need an upgrade at WR the last few years and thought JJ could develop? You mean that same genius that thought Amaan Green and Kris Brown would carry this running game while Brown single handily killed 3 games for the Texans a few years ago?? Sorry, but that's not saying a hell of a lot to me. Kubiak may know offense, but he sure has hell has fired and missed multiple times. Gary was right about Schaub and I'll give you and him that much though. I'll agree that Kubiak does know talent just like a ton of other offensive coaches in this league, but I easily dig up a ton of misses on offense from this coaching staff that have actually cost this team the playoffs in the past.

Yes, the offense dropped off. So what? Did you honestly think that losing Schaub, AJ, Arian, Brisiel, etc for weeks at a time was going to be a non-issue and "overcome" by a bright-eyed rookie? Now who's "Smoking something"? :rolleyes:

Arian Foster was playing by that time. AJ was out and in an earlier post I mentioned that AJ being gone did matter some. I'll grant that, but the offense was doing pretty damn well when Schaub was healthy without AJ. And no I didn't expect a whole lot out of Yates. I never did than, and I sure as hell don't now after what I saw last season. Yates was never expected to be anything more than some depth chart clipboard holder on this team that was picked in the 5th round, and because he got to start on a great team, folks wanted to believe he might be some next Tom Brady. Good god, I'd be rich if I got a dollar for every time I heard that crap. Can we still win games with him?? That's very possible, but the way we'll win games will be with defense and a running game in which you could insert a ton of other game managers in there like Mark Sanchez or Campbell.

drs23
05-08-2012, 05:55 PM

The officials made some bad calls, but so what. The Colts should have never been in that game in the first place. You let a team drive down the field and get that close in the 4th quarter, than you put yourself in a vulnerable position. Why is it that Yates wasn't allowed to throw the ball hardly? We had hardly any offense at all in that game, and Yates isn't capable of tossing it all around the field, and Kubiak isn't going to let him any way. Yates lost to two division rivals at the end of the season and other than the Bengals game, there wasn't one impressive game from him really.

Tex, exactly how do you KNOW all this? Crystal balls? I can understand everyone having their own opinion but that's not what's happening here. You're making your statements as fact which they certainly are not. I think I'm going to give the head coach a little leeway in making decisions that affect the team as well a tad more credence in QB talent evaluation than (or it then?) yourself. The last statement being fact, not opinion.

To the second bolded. "But so what"? Hell the refs gave the Colts the game. If not for all the sorry ass calls, they'd never have had a chance to get close, let alone win. Again, fact, not opinion.

This is opinion. I think those that think like you do about Yates are going to end up with egg on their face. Again, my opinion.

Have a goot one. :)

Rey
05-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Ceiling is pretty high how?? Because he plays for your favorite team?? Funny, that I don't see fans from all over the rest of the league saying jack about Yates. Only Texans fans, and on this site I've noticed that it seems to be the ones that feel like every young player we have will turn into some star every year.

You might want to check this Chicago Bears forum below:

http://www.score670.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=65091

I just found that one with a quick google search. I've seen Bengals fans talk TJ up too. Pretty sure you can find tid bits from other team MB's about Yates. Of course there will be people that think he can't be good, but my point is that your point about fans from around the league not thinking he is capable of being a good QB is incorrect.

I also think that you and others need to go back and watch those games and you might remember that those completions you're talking about were a ton of David Carr short throws over and over. He wasn't toting the ball around the field. He was throwing nothing but check down passes for the most part.

Yates went down field a bunch...Not even sure what you're talking about here...

Besides his first game in Jacksonville where he averaged like 4.7 yards per completion he was up around 7-8 on average.

Just as a comparison, Schaub is around 7.5 yards per completion for his career. Last year was an anomoly for him. His YPC were up, but his completion percentage was down.

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2012, 06:01 PM
The 50 yard pass from Yates to AJ against the Falcons. The dart to Dreeson for the TD. The 20 yard bullet to OD in coverage against the Bengals in the playoff game. The 40 yard TD to AJ.

Yeah. He threw some check downs. But he keeps his eyes further down the field than Matt and because he's a rookie, he hasn't learned when to take his shots and when to take the short pickups. For me, the problem with TJ isn't that he's a check down dinker and dunker, the problem is that he's a gambler who likes to stretch the field more and he needs to learn some restraint.

Texecutioner
05-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Tex, exactly how do you KNOW all this? Crystal balls? I can understand everyone having their own opinion but that's not what's happening here. You're making your statements as fact which they certainly are not. I think I'm going to give the head coach a little leeway in making decisions that affect the team as well a tad more credence in QB talent evaluation than (or it then?) yourself. The last statement being fact, not opinion.

I never said any of my speculated thoughts here were facts. I shouldn't have to put "in my opinion" before every statement I make in these threads for you guys to understand that we're all pushing our "opinions" here. I thought that was a given. I have a lot of opinions though, and I'll gladly elaborate on them just like yourself which is something I appreciate whether we agree or not.

To the second bolded. "But so what"? Hell the refs gave the Colts the game. If not for all the sorry ass calls, they'd never have had a chance to get close, let alone win. Again, fact, not opinion.

You keep failing to recognize that the offense was atrocious. Whether you want to believe that the refs gave away that game is besides the point. I'm not debating the refs or what happened to the defense. I'm debating how the QB and the offense played in that game, and it really isn't anything to debate. It is "fact" that the Texans offense played horribly in that game and couldn't "buy" a first down against the worst team in the league that was playing for last place to practically. The defense was in a horrible position, because the Texans offense couldn't do hardly a thing that entire 2nd half.

This is opinion. I think those that think like you do about Yates are going to end up with egg on their face. Again, my opinion.

Have a goot one. :)

Fine with me. That will be a pretty nice egg to eat than. I'll be very happy to be wrong about Yates and you and many others will be right here to point that out. Fine by me, but are you and a ton of others going to be willing to do the same if Yates just stays as this sub par average type of QB like I keep saying he will be?? That is if he can ever even become a full time starter anywhere in this league.

Texecutioner
05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
The 50 yard pass from Yates to AJ against the Falcons. The dart to Dreeson for the TD. The 20 yard bullet to OD in coverage against the Bengals in the playoff game. The 40 yard TD to AJ.

Yeah. He threw some check downs. But he keeps his eyes further down the field than Matt and because he's a rookie, he hasn't learned when to take his shots and when to take the short pickups. For me, the problem with TJ isn't that he's a check down dinker and dunker, the problem is that he's a gambler who likes to stretch the field more and he needs to learn some restraint.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather see him as the gambler. At least that way, it would be a much more clear picture of what he is capable of. I'll admit that part of what I didn't like was that he was handcuffed to some degree by Kubiak. That is a defense to my own argument actually, but if Kubiak won't trust him than that's a problem for the offense until he does or if he ever does. I'd rather let Yates air it out more and show that he does have some serious passing skills. I don't think he does, but at least he'd be in a position to really prove it one way or the other.

Rey
05-08-2012, 06:14 PM
was picked in the 5th round, and because he got to start on a great team, folks wanted to believe he might be some next Tom Brady..

Actually, when Brady took over for Bledsoe he didn't have much of a hill to climb to be better. Bledsoe was not doing so hot in the limited action he saw before Tom took over.

And Brady's 2nd year numbers and Yates rookie numbers are very similar.

I think if you put Yates in that situation at that time they Pats would have done pretty good anyways. Will they have won the SB? I doubt it.

But I think you are seriously underplaying what Yates did.

Remember, when Brady went through that season no one considered him an elite QB. He didn't become that until a couple years down the line.

****None of this is to say Yates is the next Brady, but rather to put into perspective that Yates had a good not spectacular rookie campaign and you can't look at what he did and say he doesn't have a high ceiling.

G27RR
05-08-2012, 06:17 PM

I was copying and pasting from my phone (thus the mobile link), and the picture between those lines and the main body of text messed up the copy and pasting apparently. Not trying to hide anything. For the other guy talking about Matt love or whatever, made it clear that I felt differently from the Texans when I said the Texans were playing the very optimistic tune.

You guys over-react much? :kitten:

PS - fixed the original so everyone doesn't hurt themselves jumping to conclusions.

Texecutioner
05-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Actually, when Brady took over for Bledsoe he didn't have much of a hill to climb to be better. Bledsoe was not doing so hot in the limited action he saw before Tom took over.

And Brady's 2nd year numbers and Yates rookie numbers are very similar.

I think if you put Yates in that situation at that time they Pats would have done pretty good anyways. Will they have won the SB? I doubt it.

But I think you are seriously underplaying what Yates did.

Remember, when Brady went through that season no one considered him an elite QB. He didn't become that until a couple years down the line.

****None of this is to say Yates is the next Brady, but rather to put into perspective that Yates had a good not spectacular rookie campaign and you can't look at what he did and say he doesn't have a high ceiling.

Yes, I easily can, because I watched a great offense turn into a really bad one under a guy that no one expected to do anything in the NFL any way. The handcuffs that his coach put on him says that the coach didn't feel that confident in him either. I watched another Baltimore Ravens type team from like 7 years ago that was led by Elvis Grbach. That's what Yates looked like. He resembled nothing like Tom Brady dude. He looked like Elvis Grbach that QB'd the Ravens the year after they won the SB and lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I stand by what I said earlier that if Yates played for the Titans or the Jags you and many others would be laughing at the idea of having to compete against him twice a year.

Rey
05-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Yes, I easily can, because I watched a great offense turn into a really bad one under a guy that no one expected to do anything in the NFL any way. The handcuffs that his coach put on him says that the coach didn't feel that confident in him either. I watched another Baltimore Ravens type team from like 7 years ago that was led by Elvis Grbach. That's what Yates looked like. He resembled nothing like Tom Brady dude. He looked like Elvis Grbach that QB'd the Ravens the year after they won the SB and lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I stand by what I said earlier that if Yates played for the Titans or the Jags you and many others would be laughing at the idea of having to compete against him twice a year.

Did you not expect a drop off from a rookie inserted into the offense down the stretch?

I don't get your point here. And besides that our offense was still pretty good. You're using a lot of hyperbole. Our offense didn't go from great to really bad. That's just factually incorrect.

Also, you need to stop trying to read minds because you are completely wrong with your opinion that if Yates played for another team I'd laugh at his prospects.

Matter of fact, find one quote from me where I've dogged gabbert. And he was pretty bad. I don't even think it's out of the question that he can be decent.

Despite what you think other people are capable of thinking objectively about players on this team.

gary
05-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Don't hate Yates hate the game.

Texecutioner
05-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Did you not expect a drop off from a rookie inserted into the offense down the stretch?

I don't get your point here. And besides that our offense was still pretty good. You're using a lot of hyperbole. Our offense didn't go from great to really bad. That's just factually incorrect.

The passing game was awful. The running game and a few screen passes to Foster was what moved the ball when Yates became the starter here. Hyperbole my ass Rey. We had a poor offense when Schaub was gone.

Also, you need to stop trying to read minds because you are completely wrong with your opinion that if Yates played for another team I'd laugh at his prospects.

Right or wrong, that's exactly what I think.

Matter of fact, find one quote from me where I've dogged gabbert. And he was pretty bad. I don't even think it's out of the question that he can be decent.

I've done that in the past with you, and you spun your entire post into something else and tried to blame me for it. Not going down that road with you again as it is a waste of time. You don't like admitting when you were wrong after the fact from my previous experiences with you. I don't know what you said or thought about Gabbert. I just know that Gabbert was dogged pretty bad in here and I was apart of that. And since I've been on this site I've always noticed how much potential a guy all of a sudden has when he becomes a Texan and than what a waste he'll become the minute the guy leaves this team. Hell, the Mario Williams comments in here after he signed with Buffalo are a perfect example of that. I'm not saying that everyone does it, but there is a large amount of posters that do and have in many instances.

Despite what you think other people are capable of thinking objectively about players on this team.

Never said this wasn't the case.

Don't hate Yates hate the game.

I don't hate Yates Gary. I just hate the idea of Yates ever becoming a full time starter here. I'd like to see a prolific offense again while AJ has a few years left.

Rey
05-08-2012, 07:20 PM
The passing game was awful. The running game and a few screen passes to Foster was what moved the ball when Yates became the starter here. Hyperbole my ass Rey. We had a poor offense when Schaub was gone.

Right or wrong, that's exactly what I think.

I've done that in the past with you, and you spun your entire post into something else and tried to blame me for it. Not going down that road with you again as it is a waste of time. You don't like admitting when you were wrong after the fact from my previous experiences with you. I don't know what you said or thought about Gabbert. I just know that Gabbert was dogged pretty bad in here and I was apart of that. And since I've been on this site I've always noticed how much potential a guy all of a sudden has when he becomes a Texan and than what a waste he'll become the minute the guy leaves this team. Hell, the Mario Williams comments in here after he signed with Buffalo are a perfect example of that. I'm not saying that everyone does it, but there is a large amount of posters that do and have in many instances.

Never said this wasn't the case.

I don't hate Yates Gary. I just hate the idea of Yates ever becoming a full time starter here. I'd like to see a prolific offense again while AJ has a few years left.

You were wrong the last time you tried to find a post of mine to contradict my current thoughts. Your comprehension still need work I see.

That out if the way, I believe youre wrong on almost all accounts here too. No need to go back and forth anymore though. I believe we've hashed it out enough here. We'll just have to wait for camp and pre season.

Texecutioner
05-08-2012, 07:37 PM
You were wrong the last time you tried to find a post of mine to contradict my current thoughts. Your comprehension still need work I see.

It was regarding Yao Ming and he never became what you said he would and his career ending blew up in a lot of people's faces. And once again, I won't ever expect you to admit your opinions and arguments were wrong. Some people's pride won't let it happen.

That out if the way, I believe youre wrong on almost all accounts here too. No need to go back and forth anymore though. I believe we've hashed it out enough here. We'll just have to wait for camp and pre season.

Fine by me. I want Yates to prove me wrong and I'll be happy to see that if it's possible. I believe one day he could be come a "decent" starter, but I don't wish to have a decent starter. I want a passer that is as good as Schaub or better, and I don't see that in Yates. For the record though, I have nothing against that kid personally.

CloakNNNdagger
05-08-2012, 07:59 PM
I was copying and pasting from my phone (thus the mobile link), and the picture between those lines and the main body of text messed up the copy and pasting apparently. Not trying to hide anything. For the other guy talking about Matt love or whatever, made it clear that I felt differently from the Texans when I said the Texans were playing the very optimistic tune.

You guys over-react much? :kitten:

PS - fixed the original so everyone doesn't hurt themselves jumping to conclusions.

When it was first posted, I understably found the omission "curious." You've now explained it, and I readily appreciate the reason. I consider myself fortunate that I avoided ending up in a body cast before the real story came out:).

Rey
05-08-2012, 10:40 PM
people's pride won't let it happen.

I think you are the poster boy for that.

The texans may need a good sports psychologist. Since you play one on the weekends maybe they'll consider you?

Lol, seriously. Whatever to that other stuff. I disagree and I'll leave it at that.

As far as Yates looks like we have agreed to disagree and to wait and watch.

ckhouston
05-09-2012, 04:44 AM
I just hate the idea of Yates ever becoming a full time starter here.

Looks like you are going to hate next season then.

76Texan
05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Tex,

1. Nobody is comparing Yates the rookie with Schaub the veteran.
IMO, Yates is ahead of the learning curve even compare with Schaub in first year with the Texans (he was in his fourth year in the league at the time).
I don't know if you remember all of Schaub's bonehead plays his first two years here and the QB "controversy" with Rosenfels.

2. You must realize that in the 8 games that Yates played in, 6 of them were against better defenses. On the average, Yates faced stiffer competition than most QBs in the league (when you look at strength of schedule).

3. Yates played without several different key players in different games:
- AJ didn't play in 3 games, and he was coming back from injury.
- Brisiel missed a few games, and when he played, he was on one leg.
- Foster didn't play a couple of games.

Overall, I would say that Yates fared better than Schaub did his first year with the Texans. Yates is ahead of the learning curve.

Combined with his measurables, I can see why many people (including myself) think that Yates has a decent to good chance to become a better than average NFL starter. Whether he can get there or not depends on him. He still needs to work hard at it to improve his game.

aussie_texan
05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Tex,

1. Nobody is comparing Yates the rookie with Schaub the veteran.
IMO, Yates is ahead of the learning curve even compare with Schaub in first year with the Texans (he was in his fourth year in the league at the time).
I don't know if you remember all of Schaub's bonehead plays his first two years here and the QB "controversy" with Rosenfels.

2. You must realize that in the 8 games that Yates played in, 6 of them were against better defenses. On the average, Yates faced stiffer competition than most QBs in the league (when you look at strength of schedule).

3. Yates played without several different key players in different games:
- AJ didn't play in 3 games, and he was coming back from injury.
- Brisiel missed a few games, and when he played, he was on one leg.
- Foster didn't play a couple of games.

Overall, I would say that Yates fared better than Schaub did his first year with the Texans. Yates is ahead of the learning curve.

Combined with his measurables, I can see why many people (including myself) think that Yates has a decent to good chance to become a better than average NFL starter. Whether he can get there or not depends on him. He still needs to work hard at it to improve his game.

well said, msr

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2012, 10:14 AM
well said, msr

Got him.

aussie_texan
05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Got him.
:tiphat:

escrimador
05-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Pfft, to all this Schaub and Yates stuff...:slapfight:

Y'all realize Keenum's gonna go into preseason and throw a gazillion yards and a quintillion touchdowns in one quarter? Then Schaub will be like, "WTF! I don't think I'm starting after that!" Yate's will be asking, "Can I still be backup, coach?":throwball:

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2012, 07:54 AM
QB Keenum takes field with Texans (http://galvestondailynews.com/story/316186)By Jordan Godwin
The Daily News
Published May 22, 2012

HOUSTON — Quarterback Case Keenum took off his helmet Monday and began walking toward the Houston Texans locker room across Kirby Drive from the Methodist Training Center.

A large group of media members began to chase him off the practice field seeking interviews following his first day of NFL organized team activities.

Keenum initially dodged questions and tried to divert the media to Texans starting quarterback Matt Schaub.

“You don’t want to talk to me,” Keenum said, modestly.

You’d never know this is the owner of eight NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision career records and 37 wins for the hometown University of Houston Cougars. Despite his collegiate résumé at UH, Keenum was not drafted.

Luckily for Keenum, the NFL team stationed 8.2 miles from his former home field at Robertson Stadium came calling.

Still donning the familiar No. 7 he wore in college, Keenum was one of the most energetic and involved rookies on the Texans’ field. Despite his undersized frame of 6-foot-1, 206 pounds, Keenum’s high release point helped him blend in with the other quarterbacks ahead of him on the depth chart.

Schaub still is rehabbing the foot injury he suffered in November, and second-year quarterback T.J. Yates handled all of the first-string duties Monday. Keenum is primarily competing for the third-string spot with veteran quarterback John Beck, who made three starts for the Washington Redskins last season, throwing for 858 yards with two touchdowns and four interceptions.

Last season in college, Keenum threw for 5,000 yards — for the third time — compiled 48 touchdowns and five interceptions.

Most of those numbers came with Keenum in the shotgun formation, and learning to play under center in the Texans’ offense has been an adjustment.

Still, Schaub gave rave reviews of the rookie.

“He’s obviously very talented,” Schaub said. “You don’t do what he was able to do at U of H without having a lot of talent. It’s just a matter of him learning our scheme and how we play the position here. It’s all different from place to place, but he can definitely throw it around and make plays.”

Keenum said he immersed himself in the playbook and film of Schaub and Yates to learn the different style of play.

“Slowly, but surely, I’m getting there,” Keenum said. “It’s hyper-drive. I’m trying to learn as much as possible every day so I can get better and more comfortable. It’s been fun learning a new offense.”

Keenum is fortunate to be throwing to a wealth of young receivers also hungry to impress coaches. The Texans drafted Ohio State receiver DeVier Posey in the third round and Keshawn Martin, of Michigan State, in the fourth round.

Practicing without pads Monday, Keenum was largely restricted to handing off the ball to backup running backs and hitting receivers on short routes, but he did have a few chances to showcase his accuracy.

While other rookies struggled in their first humid practice in the Houston heat, Keenum embraced it.

“They pay you for this,” Keenum said, barely sweating after walk-through drills. “It’s a blast, and I’m really excited to be part of this great organization, but I know I’ve got a long way to go.”

Although Keenum’s lack of height is noticeable on the practice field — he’s 4 inches shorter than Schaub and 3 inches shorter than Yates — he’ll have his chance to earn a roster spot. After all, Texans coach Gary Kubiak was a 6-foot career backup quarterback to Denver Broncos great John Elway.

Just as he did in college, Keenum is out to disprove the critics and the other teams that passed up on him.

“I know I’ve got a lot to prove, but I’m very excited about that challenge,” Keenum said. “I’m going to work as hard as I can for the opportunity I’ve been given.”

Rey
05-22-2012, 08:14 AM
I didn't realize Beck threw for almost 300 yards a game...

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2012, 08:33 AM
I didn't realize Beck threw for almost 300 yards a game...

That includes a 4th game that he didn't start, in which he threw 117 yds. The 858 yds include only the 3 games he started:

game 1: 279

game 2: 208

game 3: 254

76Texan
05-22-2012, 11:05 AM
That includes a 4th game that he didn't start, in which he threw 117 yds. The 858 yds include only the 3 games he started:

game 1: 279

game 2: 208

game 3: 254

Beck played very well in the 4th quarter... err, I mean... garbage time. :mariopalm: