PDA

View Full Version : UDFA, Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina

TexansFanatic
04-29-2012, 09:58 AM
According to this Deadspin article from December, Jones had been projected to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's a bit of a goofball, but it looks like the Texans scored a serious steal with this signing.

UNC’s Star Wide Receiver Wants To Violate A Bunch Of NCAA Rules For His Birthday (deadspin.com/5869138/uncs-star-wide-receiver-wants-to-violate-a-bunch-of-ncaa-rules-for-his-birthday)

TheRealJoker
04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
TJ Yates probably endorsed him. Hope he works out for us.

beerlover
04-29-2012, 10:07 AM
I've noticed on some other teams sites fan reaction to Texan signing as a good catch :)

TimeKiller
04-29-2012, 10:07 AM
His athleticism and pedigree are rather exciting but that empty space between his ears has obviously devastated whatever potential NFL scouts saw in him. UDFA. This guy should've been a 2nd round pick.

Playoffs
04-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Jones sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

When you ignore direction at the NFL Combine, and shuffle around with an attitude there ... and get banned from your own NFL Pro Day ... :headhurts:

NotForLong

gg no re
04-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I thought we were getting rid of a WR named Jones....

Premier
04-29-2012, 10:16 AM
looks like he drops way too many easy catches...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du10FGdBkZY

thunderkyss
04-29-2012, 10:17 AM
His athleticism and pedigree are rather exciting but that empty space between his ears has obviously devastated whatever potential NFL scouts saw in him. UDFA. This guy should've been a 2nd round pick.

We should all understand if he doesn't act like a pro he will not see the field regardless what kind of talent he has.

Kubiakism.

Playoffs
04-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Dwight Jones Scouting Report (http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/wr/dwight-jones/)

Dwight Jones - North Carolina (HT: 6-3¼ - WT: 230)

Positives -- Big receiver with a strong frame... Above-average size-speed ratio, has the physical tools that teams look for... Good runner after the catch, maintains balance through tacklers and has a strong stiff arm... A big play threat, had receptions of 34 or more yards in seven games this year... Strong red zone target with his combination of size and strength... Does a good job with press coverage, rarely gets knocked off his routes... Very physical, uses his body well to wall off defenders from the football... Good vertical receiver who can go up and make the spectacular catch... Has very long arms... Strong and willing run blocker, will block down the field... Had a big senior season, recorded 85 catches for 1,196 yards and 12 touchdowns... Similar to former North Carolina wide receivers Greg Little and Hakeem Nicks, who both transitioned well to the NFL.

Negatives -- Will drop some easy passes, has some lapses in concentration and will take his eyes off the ball to look up field... Allows too many balls get into his frame, needs to catch more with his hands... Raw as a route runner, rounds off some of his cuts and has to gear down to change direction... Below average explosion, doesn't have a second gear and has some problems getting separation in man coverage... Below average after the catch, doesn't have the speed or lateral agility to make people miss in the open field... Struggles with zone coverage, has a hard to recognizing the soft spot in the coverage... Did not impress at the Senior Bowl... Overall a raw prospect who will need time to develop.

Combine Results
Height › 6032
Weight › 230
Arm › 34
Hand › 9
40-Time › 4.55
Vertical › 33
Broad › 9'1"
Bench Press › 14
Shuttle ›
Cone ›

At North Carolina -- (Official School Bio) 2010: Earned honorable mention All-ACC honors after finishing the season with team highs of 62 receptions and 946 yards... His 62 receptions tie for the fifth-best single-season mark in school history and his 946 yards are also fifth in school history... Averaged 72.8 yards per game, good for fourth in the league... Appeared in all 13 games and made 12 starts... Had five catches for 51 yards, including a long of 16, in the Music City Bowl win over Tennessee... Had a career-high 11 catches for 121 yards in the win at Duke, his fourth 100+ yard effort of the season... Finished with five receptions for 54 yards against NC State... Had a 4-yard catch against Virginia Tech... Caught eight balls for a career-high 233 yards and a touchdown in the win at Florida State... His 233 receiving yards were the second-most in a single game in school history... Had two catches of over 50 yards against the Seminoles, including a 67-yard touchdown... Finished with nine catches for 107 yards in the win over William & Mary... Caught four passes for 74 yards at Miami... Had seven receptions for 198 yards and two touchdowns in the win at Virginia... Scored an 81-yard touchdown on the first play from scrimmage, just 17 seconds into the game, which was the ninth-longest pass play in school history... Added a 20-yard touchdown later in the game... Had three catches for 35 yards and his first career touchdown against East Carolina... Finished with four receptions for 43 yards at Rutgers... Had three catches for 12 yards against LSU.

Marcus
04-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah, Kubiak must be getting soft. I'm shocked that he's even bringing him in.

But you know what? I'll bet this Jones will last longer than the other Jones. :)

Lucky
04-29-2012, 10:41 AM
But you know what? I'll bet this Jones will last longer than the other Jones. :)
You think Dwight will have a longer career (5 years) with the Texans than Jacoby had?

ObsiWan
04-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Yeah, Kubiak must be getting soft. I'm shocked that he's even bringing him in.

Yeah... how did they sneak TWO non-Boy Scouts past Uncle Bob??

Dutchrudder
04-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Good pickup for now, I just hope they can straighten him out. He has a lot of potential, but seems like he needs a life coach.

ObsiWan
04-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Good pickup for now, I just hope they can straighten him out. He has a lot of potential, but seems like he needs a life coach.

I recommend Andre Johnson.

NCTexan
04-29-2012, 11:31 AM

I hope they can too. I like the guy. He was pretty good for us when he was here. I think being around Dre and others will get him on the right track.

Edit: ObsiWan posted right before me. Agreed.

welsh texan
04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
I know we all get on about the high-character thing with our coaching staff, but seriously, when have we passed on a guy due to character concerns and had him turn into a really good player on another team (not even the come-back-to-haunt-us argument, simply he was a decent signing)?

I don't think its that often, I can't think of any off the top of my head, maybe Ced Benson? But then we did quite well out of the direction we took anyway.

This dude is going to have to turn over a new leaf if he wants to get through Texans' camp, with a number of established vets, and a few of last years UDFA's with a years jump on him in the system, not to mention the guys we've drafted and other UDFA's this year, he'll be out before his feet touch the ground if he isn't a changed man.

I hope TJ is on him about it right now, seems like he has the potential to help our team down the line, just needs to get his head screwed on.

Big Lou
04-29-2012, 11:38 AM

Yeh, he better straigten up or he'll get the innegan treatment.......

Rey
04-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Dwight was just on the radio. He's very confident. He expects to make the team. He also explained being banished from his pro day. Says someone used his image on a party flier without his permission or something like that and he got in trouble for it even though he didn't attend the party.

But other than that he was just extremely cocky. He was asked to make a bold prediction and he predicted he would start as an udfa. He kept calling himself the next Andre Johnson.

Said he ran a 4.5 but his fastest time was a 4.7.

He sounded very relaxed on the radio. Said he chose Houston because of Andre and the opportunity at wr.

Sounds like he's going to come in and really try to go beast mode, so we'll see.

thunderkyss
04-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Yeah... how did they sneak TWO non-Boy Scouts past Uncle Bob??

Maybe we're at the point where our foundation is built, we've got a good locker room & that kind of stuff isn't as tabu as it once was.

Big Lou
04-29-2012, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Playoffs;1947350]Dwight Jones Scouting Report (http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/wr/dwight-jones/)

Positives -- Big receiver with a strong frame... Above-average size-speed ratio, has the physical tools that teams look for... Good runner after the catch, maintains balance through tacklers and has a strong stiff arm... A big play threat, had receptions of 34 or more yards in seven games this year... Strong red zone target with his combination of size and strength... Does a good job with press coverage, rarely gets knocked off his routes... Very physical, uses his body well to wall off defenders from the football... Good vertical receiver who can go up and make the spectacular catch... Has very long arms... Strong and willing run blocker, will block down the field... Had a big senior season, recorded 85 catches for 1,196 yards and 12 touchdowns... Similar to former North Carolina wide receivers Greg Little and Hakeem Nicks, who both transitioned well to the NFL.

Negatives -- Will drop some easy passes, has some lapses in concentration and will take his eyes off the ball to look up field... Allows too many balls get into his frame, needs to catch more with his hands... Raw as a route runner, rounds off some of his cuts and has to gear down to change direction... Below average explosion, doesn't have a second gear and has some problems getting separation in man coverage... Below average after the catch, doesn't have the speed or lateral agility to make people miss in the open field... Struggles with zone coverage, has a hard to recognizing the soft spot in the coverage... Did not impress at the Senior Bowl... Overall a raw prospect who will need time to develop.

QUOTE]

Do they let two different people write the Pro's on Con's for draft prospects?

Big Lou
04-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Dwight Jones Scouting Report (http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/wr/dwight-jones/)[/B]

thunderkyss
04-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Dwight Jones Scouting Report (http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/wr/dwight-jones/)

Positives -- Does a good job with press coverage
Negatives -- has some problems getting separation in man coverage

There is a difference between press & man coverage. Press is a technique, man is a concept. You can press a receiver at the line then release him into a zone. You can play off the receiver & still cover him mano y mano

drs23
04-29-2012, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=Playoffs;1947350]Dwight Jones Scouting Report (http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/wr/dwight-jones/)

QUOTE]

I caught that as well. WTF?

TexCanada
04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Dwight was just on the radio. He's very confident. He expects to make the team. He also explained being banished from his pro day. Says someone used his image on a party flier without his permission or something like that and he got in trouble for it even though he didn't attend the party.

But other than that he was just extremely cocky. He was asked to make a bold prediction and he predicted he would start as an udfa. He kept calling himself the next Andre Johnson.

He sounded very relaxed on the radio. Said he chose Houston because of Andre and the opportunity at wr.

Sounds like he's going to come in and really try to go beast mode, so we'll see.

Sounds to me like he is going to be in for a rude awakening when he gets to camp, in terms of both the talent level of the players and their willingness to put him in his place. That cocky attitude will have to turn into a hard working one in a hurry, or he won't be a Texan for long.

Great signing IMO. No risk here whatsoever and plenty to gain. I can't wait for Dwight to meet Cushing. Hepefully he makes the right choices and can turn himself into a professional.

NCTexan
04-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Yeah, that whole story was really weird. But in the end that's sort of what came out. Whether that's true or not I have no idea. I'd like to believe it is.

I'm not a huge fan of calling himself the next Andre Johnson. That seems very un-Dre like.

I do hope he succeeds though. Hopefully TJ and others can get him on the right path. I'd like to see more Tarheels representing.

DexmanC
04-29-2012, 12:25 PM
People SAID they hated Muhammad Ali because he was cocky.

People actually LOVED Muhammad Ali because he could back it up.

Playoffs
04-29-2012, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=Playoffs;1947350]Do they let two different people write the Pro's on Con's for draft prospects?:lol:, I guess I should have read that before posting.

Thorn
04-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Another "what if" just like Holliday. I'll believe it when I see it.

Lucky
04-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the recap, Rey. What station was that?

Good WRs tend to be cocky. AJ is one of the exceptions. Going undrafted very well may light a fire under Jones. The college game may have been too easy for him and he will rise to the challenge of playing with the big boys.

One thing that could help Jones is his familiarity with the Texans offense. UNC's offensive coordinator, John Shoop, model the Tarheel passing game after Kubiak's Texan offense. Jones has to take advantage of this advantage. Because unlike back in Chapel Hill, he's no longer the BMOC. He's actually behind the guy who is behind the BMOC. If Jones comes prepared to go 110% on the field and the classroom, were talking about a steal. If he comes in acting aloof and entitled, Jones make not make it to training camp.

kiwitexansfan
04-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Good WRs tend to be cocky. AJ is one of the exceptions. Going undrafted very well may light a fire under Jones. The college game may have been too easy for him and he will rise to the challenge of playing with the big boys.

One thing that could help Jones is his familiarity with the Texans offense. UNC's offensive coordinator, John Shoop, model the Tarheel passing game after Kubiak's Texan offense. Jones has to take advantage of this advantage. Because unlike back in Chapel Hill, he's no longer the BMOC. He's actually behind the guy who is behind the BMOC. If Jones comes prepared to go 110% on the field and the classroom, were talking about a steal. If he comes in acting aloof and entitled, Jones make not make it to training camp.

I read that his route tree is very limited. Given the sophisticated offense, why did he run so few routes and those poorly?

Big red flag for me.

Rey
04-29-2012, 02:20 PM

It was on 610. They said they'd be putting a podcast up. It may be on the site by now.

They're going to be playing clips from that Interview in other shows on the station.

Honestly I don't have a problem with the cockiness. Dre may never say that stuff in the media, but I think it's a little foolish if we assume we know how he is around friends. I can imagine he talks big when cameras aren't around. If I remember the sound bytes from the game where he turned finnegan to innegan, he was doing some trash talking.

Either way the production on the field is what's most important.

Lucky
04-29-2012, 03:02 PM
I can imagine he talks big when cameras aren't around. If I remember the sound bytes from the game where he turned finnegan to innegan, he was doing some trash talking.
He and innegan have quite the history. In fact, that wasn't the first time AJ beat the hell out of the fake Irishman. Back in week 2 of the '09 season, the Texans traveled to Nashville and pulled out a big road win. There was a scuffle on the sideline, and the cameras caught Eric Winston going at it with a d-lineman, Dre was pounding on innegan behind a wall of players. That's one matchup I'm sure Johnson will miss.

Lucky
04-29-2012, 03:05 PM
I read that his route tree is very limited. Given the sophisticated offense, why did he run so few routes and those poorly?
I don't take 10% of what I read on the internet seriously. One guy says something, and it is aped by 100 more. The facts are that Jones had two good seasons at UNC, but flamed out in the draft season. The most important months of his career, and he doesn't take it seriously? That's the red flag.

GuerillaBlack
04-29-2012, 03:06 PM
He and innegan have quite the history. In fact, that wasn't the first time AJ beat the hell out of the fake Irishman. Back in week 2 of the '09 season, the Texans traveled to Nashville and pulled out a big road win. There was a scuffle on the sideline, and the cameras caught Eric Winston going at it with a d-lineman, Dre was pounding on innegan behind a wall of players. That's one matchup I'm sure Johnson will miss.

LOL, that must be why Dre said "I'll tear your ass up...you know that." during round two.

Playoffs
04-29-2012, 03:07 PM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/29/dwight-jones-i-am-the-next-andre-johnson/

Andre Johnson is my favorite receiver -- the way he moves, carries himself

Jones' tone was kinda joking with all the bravado, imo. Gonna give him the benefit of the doubt ... short leash.

Brandon420tx
04-29-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm really happy about this one. I was really high on him coming into the draft process

SAMURAITEXAN
04-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I am happy with Dwight Jones signing. Hope, he turns out to be the next Foster or at least a contributor for us.

Go Texans!!!

amazing80
04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
haha Dwight will now be in Garys doghouse for the season, welcome to hell Jones. :bravo::lol:

Don't predict to be a starter when you were undrafted and labeled with an attitude

Rey
04-29-2012, 08:42 PM
haha Dwight will now be in Garys doghouse for the season, welcome to hell Jones. :bravo::lol:

Don't predict to be a starter when you were undrafted and labeled with an attitude

To be fair they asked him to make a bold prediction for the season. He probably was a little too cocky for most peoples taste but atleast he believes in himself.

badboy
04-29-2012, 08:43 PM

Sounds like he's going to come in and really try to go beast mode, so we'll see.Dang I had forgotten about that. Look, Texans will give him same help it tried to give to JJ. It will be up to player to accept it. Yates might help him in fact I'd room them together. I'd put Keenum with Schaub.

amazing80
04-29-2012, 08:50 PM
To be fair they asked him to make a bold prediction for the season. He probably was a little too cocky for most peoples taste but atleast he believes in himself.

Yea, but based on Kubs history and his benching of players like Foster, Dwight did not impress the boss

badboy
04-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Another "what if" just like Holliday. I'll believe it when I see it.Minimal cost to may hit on another Foster so I'm in. Same with Fangupo and Case Keenum.

TdotTexas2Step
04-29-2012, 09:30 PM
"Steal of the draft, Dwight Jones, the next Andre Johnson, you looking at him, 6'4, 230" - Dwight Jones.

:kubepalm:

Andre's gonna have to have a word with the supposedly next coming of him.

EDIT: and his bold prediction was that he would be starting this year.

myktek2
04-29-2012, 10:05 PM
"Steal of the draft, Dwight Jones, the next Andre Johnson, you looking at him, 6'4, 230" - Dwight Jones.

I heard him on 610 saying that and was thinking to myself... oh lawd.... he's too much of a Diva WR aka TO

EllisUnit
04-29-2012, 10:06 PM
i like his size and speed, if he can get his head out of his ass he might turn out to be a damn good player for us.

GP
04-29-2012, 10:17 PM
The problem with a guy like this is IF he ever makes some plays and becomes a fringe player who then gains momentum and starts looking good...you're going to see the dysfunctional stuff creep out and splatter all over anything and anyone in his path.

If he produces, the stuff will be tolerated, and then he graduates up to bigger drama and then it ruins everything else including himself.

He needs to hush his mouth and show that he wants to play, not mouth a lot. I get it that he's excited and has confidence...but dude, you weren't even drafted FOR A REASON. And the reason might be your personality. I'm just saying....

fiasco west
04-29-2012, 10:25 PM

The funny thing is...the next Andre Johnson would have never said anything like that. He would have simply went out there, won a starting job, and competed for OROY. No talking about it before hand, just doing it.

Dutchrudder
04-29-2012, 10:26 PM

I hope they can too. I like the guy. He was pretty good for us when he was here. I think being around Dre and others will get him on the right track.

Edit: ObsiWan posted right before me. Agreed.

AJ is a role model, not a life coach. Dwight needs someone who will keep him in check when he's not with the team. Maybe his mom will come to Houston and take care of him while he's here? :)

Marcus
04-29-2012, 10:32 PM
His running his mouth like this, makes me wonder if he's even met Kubiak yet.

GP
04-29-2012, 10:39 PM
His running his mouth like this, makes me wonder if he's even met Kubiak yet.

Probably not. He's like one of the teenage contestants who makes the cut for American Idol. They think they have already won the whole thing, and they haven't even been on the show for one episode yet.

I actually think Gary brought him on board to make me quit bitching about the Posey pick.

badboy
04-29-2012, 10:53 PM
I doubt Dwight Jones is the first kid who enterred professional sports and said dumb things. That can be corrected. I'm more concerned about why he seemed to just give up after his regular season or maybe just before it ended. If we gave JJ 5 years, I am cool with Jones for a year at least. He is dealing with a lot of emotion with now knowing that no NFL team thought he was worth drafting. I wonder how each of us would deal with that if it were us? I'm glad we signed him and I do think he will turn it around but then I thought same about Jacoby.

GuerillaBlack
04-29-2012, 11:11 PM
The funny thing is...the next Andre Johnson would have never said anything like that. He would have simply went out there, won a starting job, and competed for OROY. No talking about it before hand, just doing it.

You guys act like he wasn't asked a question.

Rey
04-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Yea, but based on Kubs history and his benching of players like Foster, Dwight did not impress the boss

People have different personalities. Everybody isn't going to be as docile with the media as Aj is.

I could care less about what he says. His actions on the field is what matters to me.

fiasco west
04-29-2012, 11:44 PM
You guys act like he wasn't asked a question.

Didn't know that mattered. It still came off as cocky. If you ask Andre who is the best WR in the NFL and he'll tell you Calvin Johnson. Didn't matter if he was asked the question.

GuerillaBlack
04-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Didn't know that mattered. It still came off as cocky. If you ask Andre who is the best WR in the NFL and he'll tell you Calvin Johnson. Didn't matter if he was asked the question.

He was asked to make a bold prediction and that was his. I have no problem with it. He better back it up, or he is gone. Let him talk. Doesn't mean he is a bad locker room guy because he is confident in himself. Yates probably vouched for him.

Goldensilence
04-29-2012, 11:51 PM

What did people expect him to say when asked this?

When you're an UDFA there's going to be certain amount of self promotion. Yes, we've gotten spoiled with certain guys namely Foster being an UDFA, but let's be realistic, not many UDFA make it big. Most are camp fodder. If, very big IF, Jones makes it onto the roster come start of the season it's going to be a long shot.

The big question is this this self confidence vs entitlement to a roster spot? Guess we'll find out in the coming months.

Allstar
04-29-2012, 11:56 PM
He definitely rubbed me the wrong way in that radio interview.

fiasco west
04-29-2012, 11:59 PM
He was asked to make a bold prediction and that was his. I have no problem with it. He better back it up, or he is gone. Let him talk. Doesn't mean he is a bad locker room guy because he is confident in himself. Yates probably vouched for him.

I really don't care too much either way what he says...I mean I'm a big Arian Foster guy.... I just found it funny who he was comparing himself to while saying that.

Also though I can't blame people for seeing a red flag considering his position. A lot of arrogant WRs have walked onto teams and messed things up.

TdotTexas2Step
04-30-2012, 12:06 AM
In the interview, Dwight made the Andre Johnson comparisons on his own. As soon as the words came out of his mouth, you could tell the radio hosts knew they struck gold in terms of material to work with.

When they asked him to make a bold prediction later on, he went with that he'd start in his rookie year.

But the Andre Johnson comparisons, the reference in third person, correcting his misinformed 40 times by 0.3 seconds, and the constant mentions of his measurements are things that can rub even the casual fan the wrong way

TexanSam
04-30-2012, 12:09 AM
In the interview, Dwight made the Andre Johnson comparisons on his own. As soon as the words came out of his mouth, you could tell the radio hosts knew they struck gold in terms of material to work with.

When they asked him to make a bold prediction later on, he went with that he'd start in his rookie year.

But the Andre Johnson comparisons, the reference in third person, correcting his misinformed 40 times by 0.3 seconds, and the constant mentions of his measurements are things that can rub even the casual fan the wrong way

Wow. I'm going to have to listen to the interview. Sounds like it's cringe worthy though. He's going to have a hard time making the team if he doesn't grow up.

GP
04-30-2012, 12:13 AM
When you're an UDFA, as Foster has shown, you just shut your trap and get to work. Because you're on the outside looking in, and every little thing will be used to make that final roster decision. The things you say, the ways you act, how you practice, how you play, etc., etc.

Like I said earlier: He's acting like signing the UDFA offer makes him a day 1 starter. LOL. This is why this guy was not drafted. He sounds like a pain in the ass to me. An insecure, ego-driven pain in the ass.

All the skills in the world won't help you at some point. Ask Terrell Owens.

Rey
04-30-2012, 12:21 AM
When you're an UDFA, as Foster has shown, you just shut your trap and get to work. Because you're on the outside looking in, and every little thing will be used to make that final roster decision. The things you say, the ways you act, how you practice, how you play, etc., etc.

Like I said earlier: He's acting like signing the UDFA offer makes him a day 1 starter. LOL. This is why this guy was not drafted. He sounds like a pain in the ass to me. An insecure, ego-driven pain in the ass.

All the skills in the world won't help you at some point. Ask Terrell Owens.

To was old and injured. Despite his antics he kept getting employment until he wasn't as talented a player anymore.

CretorFrigg
04-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Wow. I'm going to have to listen to the interview. Sounds like it's cringe worthy though. He's going to have a hard time making the team if he doesn't grow up.

I just listened to it, and it's bad. Think Chad Ochocinco except not even funny.

GP
04-30-2012, 12:30 AM
To was old and injured. Despite his antics he kept getting employment until he wasn't as talented a player anymore.

Actually, I think his mouth started writing checks his ass couldn't cash.

Even when he was younger and talented, he made a conscious decision to be this brash, mouthy guy who wanted everyone to worship him. THAT was the beginning of the end. The health issues just was karma cherry on top.

This guy? He's an UDFA and doesn't even know how much his back is up against the wall in terms of making the team. Hell, making the PS even at worst.

Joseph and Manning will give him some on-field therapy, though. Those two guys don't take crap off nobody. And won't start taking it anytime soon.

It looks like the Texans are getting Ravens-itis where they think they've got the locker room leaders to handle sour pusses like this guy. Ravend bring in Suggs because they know Ray Lewis will line his azz out and keep him focused. I think the Posey pick and this other douche nozzle are here only because Kubiak thinks he's got the leaders to handle them.

Kind of a nice thing to think about, that we've got some cocky and mouthy guys now. A little spice to the recipe, but I have my doubts that Jones can make the team even if he did shut his mouth and only did his work. He's UDFA and his time will be short. Kubiak even cuts UDFAs before camp begins, and adds guys in their place. This guy needs to get a grip if he wants a real shot.

Goldensilence
04-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Actually, I think his mouth started writing checks his ass couldn't cash.

Even when he was younger and talented, he made a conscious decision to be this brash, mouthy guy who wanted everyone to worship him. THAT was the beginning of the end. The health issues just was karma cherry on top.

This guy? He's an UDFA and doesn't even know how much his back is up against the wall in terms of making the team. Hell, making the PS even at worst.

Joseph and Manning will give him some on-field therapy, though. Those two guys don't take crap off nobody. And won't start taking it anytime soon.

It looks like the Texans are getting Ravens-itis where they think they've got the locker room leaders to handle sour pusses like this guy. Ravend bring in Suggs because they know Ray Lewis will line his azz out and keep him focused. I think the Posey pick and this other douche nozzle are here only because Kubiak thinks he's got the leaders to handle them.

Kind of a nice thing to think about, that we've got some cocky and mouthy guys now. A little spice to the recipe, but I have my doubts that Jones can make the team even if he did shut his mouth and only did his work. He's UDFA and his time will be short. Kubiak even cuts UDFAs before camp begins, and adds guys in their place. This guy needs to get a grip if he wants a real shot.

Suggs was drafted #10 out of ASU... so when you say "brought him in". I am hoping you mean drafted?

Far as the comparisons to T.O.. TO was at least a 3rd round draft pick and was likely to make the team. Jones.. UDFA with baggage. Even at first you didn't hear a lot about TO until he really started to make an impact then he blow up with some self promotion.

Far as the locker room being able to hold its own... hard to think not when you have guys, specially on the defensive side now, that seem like the they can be enforcers.

Honestly, I don't see why some people are getting their feathers ruffled over bold talk from an UDFA that has yet to REALLY prove he's worthy of a spot.

Rey
04-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Wow.

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. The guy made some bold statements and pumped himself up.

He either plays well or he doesn't. The end.

TexanSam
04-30-2012, 12:47 AM

Probably not a bad thing knowing we have players that can keep them in line (hopefully). At least with Posey he's not being a cocky m'fer running his mouth. He made some mistakes, but he's not brash about it. Still practiced with the team instead of working out on his own which speaks volumes, IMO.

But if this guy had any common sense he'd realize that being an UDFA isn't exactly a guaranteed spot. Hell, as an UDFA you're lucky to make it to the 3rd preseason game, much less start. Somebody needs to knock some common sense in him. I have no doubt Manning, JoJo, Cushing, or someone else on D will "welcome" him to the team. I have my doubts if it will do much good though. I don't know if any player we've ever had has made such a bad first impression.

EllisUnit
04-30-2012, 04:10 AM
He has a big mouth but i like his confidence. He has the size and speed to be an A.J like player, Personality not so much.

ObsiWan
04-30-2012, 04:54 AM

Because that's the right answer.

EllisUnit
04-30-2012, 05:01 AM
Because that's the right answer.

Both in prime i would of taken AJ anyday of the week !!!!

ObsiWan
04-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Both in prime i would of taken AJ anyday of the week !!!!

I won't argue with you at all on that point.

but the question is: "Who's the best, right now?"

The beauty of them both is that neither are diva types. I'd bet that if you asked Megatron who's the best right now? He would probably answer "Andre Johnson".

They are both humble like that.

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2012, 12:26 PM
LONELY END: UNC WR Dwight Jones holds pro day in exile
BY STEVE WISEMAN
heraldsun.com

http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/public/sites/659/assets/7N56_17490381_NC_jonesdwightfb275.jpg

CHAPEL HILL — More than three NFL dozen scouts gathered at the UNC's Navy Yards practice fields Tuesday to watch most of the former North Carolina football players eligible for next month’s draft work out.

Only one made the trek across town to see the most notable player absent from the Navy Fields workout.

While his former teammates like Quinton Coples, Charles Brown, Matt Merletti and Dante Paige-Moss ran 40-yard dashes and shuttle drills, record-setting wide receiver Dwight Jones was at East Chapel Hill High School.

Jones intended to join the group on UNC’s campus for the school’s NFL Pro Day. His actions last December, UNC athletics director Bubba Cunningham decided, made that inappropriate.

In a phone conversation, Cunningham told Jones he didn’t live up to the promises he made when UNC officials worked with the NCAA to get him eligible to play in the Independence Bowl against Missouri on Dec. 26.

So Jones, who set UNC’s single-season record for pass receptions (85) last season, was banned from attending UNC’s NFL Pro Day.

“Jones committed a secondary NCAA violation in December 2011, when he allowed his name and photo to be used to promote a for-profit event in his hometown of Burlington,” UNC spokesman Kevin Best said in a statement released Tuesday. “UNC worked with the NCAA to restore Jones’ eligibility based on his agreement to cancel the party. Jones was reinstated and played in the Independence Bowl.

“However, immediately after the bowl game, Jones re-scheduled the event and had the party. Based on those facts, Jones was not allowed to participate in North Carolina’s NFL Pro Day on Tuesday.”

The party was scheduled for a nightclub in Burlington Dec. 31. It was publicized with printed flyers and a web page.

Jones admitted Tuesday that the party took place, but said he didn’t attend it. He said he didn’t bother arguing with Cunningham over the phone last weekend.

“I told him it was his decision and I wasn’t going to argue with him,” Jones said. “I didn’t do anything wrong. But nobody is going to ever take food from my kids and my mother.”

Jones said that, since his eligibility was over after UNC lost 41-24 to Missouri in Shreveport, La., he felt he was free to do as he pleased.

“I was a grown man and my college career was over,” Jones said. “I was done with the university.”

Because that decision caused UNC to be done with Jones, his agents organized a scouting event on East Chapel Hill High’s football field.

It was scheduled to start around 1:30 p.m., but it was closer to 3 p.m. when Denver Broncos scout Nick Schiralli arrived carrying a stopwatch and a tape measure to time Jones in the 40-yard dash.

East Chapel Hill High School coach Bill Renner had about 200 of the school’s students in the stands. They were allowed out of class on an in-school field trip to learn about a sports marketing opportunity.

Before Schiralli arrived, Jones caught passes from former Kansas State quarterback Sammuel Lamur. Some of the students cheered from the stands when Jones made the catches.

“I just love playing football,” Jones said. “Just to go out there and run in front of the kids, that was really the best moment of the day, not even the fact that the scout showed up. That’s a blessing, too.”

Projected to be selected in the second or third rounds of the April 26-28, Jones admitted that working at UNC with his teammates would have been nice.

But now, the receiver who caught 85 passes for 1,196 yards and 12 touchdowns last season is looking forward to what’s next.

“It would have been nice to share one last outing with the guys I played with,” Jones said. “But whatever God has in store for me, I’m not complaining. Everything happens for a reason. I’ve been through this situation before. People always doubted me. My story has just begun.”

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2012, 12:34 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/90/909275b8b89a8fe4ad49bdd0108e9d77/headlinin_its_dday_for_ohio_state.jpg

GP
04-30-2012, 02:04 PM
That party poster has the text "2012 NFL Projected Top Draft Pick" on it. LOL. Wow.

Then this bit of comedy:

“I told him it was his decision and I wasn’t going to argue with him,” Jones said. “I didn’t do anything wrong. But nobody is going to ever take food from my kids and my mother.”

Jones said that, since his eligibility was over after UNC lost 41-24 to Missouri in Shreveport, La., he felt he was free to do as he pleased.

“I was a grown man and my college career was over,” Jones said. “I was done with the university.”

You're not "done with the university" at the conclusion of the bowl game, you nitwit. You still have to finish out the semester like any other student athlete. You're still attending college, eating the meals, living in the dorm room (all of which were paid by the university, by the way).

And if you bail out and just leave school...then you get to have your own pro day at some obscure location and one scout show up to witness it. But somehow he thinks people are taking food off the table of his kids and his mom? Dude, YOU did that to yourself.

Man, this guy is a head case. Period. Victim mentality with no desire to play by the rules. I think Kubiak will cut this guy if he goes off the reservation even a little bit.

kiwitexansfan
04-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Wonder if that also includes not finishing out his classes.

Wondering if this guy has the work ethic needed.

GP
04-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Here's video highlights of a game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2H6Ac6-Z0c) with TJ Yates throwing to Dwight Jones at UNC (I think it was two years ago).

7 catches for 198 yards and two TDs in this game.

Playoffs
04-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Jones against 10th pick in 3rd round, 98th overall CB Jayron Hosley (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/18896356) -- note Hosley tested positive for drugs at the combine & that probably knocked his draft status back from 2nd round:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01xFUaKKqA

Big Lou
05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
AJ is a role model, not a life coach. Dwight needs someone who will keep him in check when he's not with the team. Maybe his mom will come to Houston and take care of him while he's here? :)

Yeh you may be right but he sure gave #31 of the Titans a couple of pointers to think about!!!!

Dutchrudder
05-01-2012, 09:48 AM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/90/909275b8b89a8fe4ad49bdd0108e9d77/headlinin_its_dday_for_ohio_state.jpg

That can't be real. Jan 1 is a Tuesday in 2013, so the original must have come from 2010/11. Was it a Dez Bryant poster? That sounds like something he would do.

Playoffs
05-01-2012, 10:33 AM
AJ is a role model, not a life coach. Dwight needs someone who will keep him in check when he's not with the team. Maybe his mom will come to Houston and take care of him while he's here? :)I can guarantee you AJ won't give this kid the time of day with that attitude. Might sign an autograph for him as he's leaving.

Word to the wise on making in the NFL, and why there are so many busts:

“I didn’t realize coming up how much work you had to put in once you got to the NFL,” Salaam told the Chicago Tribune. “It’s a whole different lifestyle. You have to change the way you live. You have to change who you hang out with. You have to totally get focused on your game. You have the athletic ability, but if you don’t put the work behind it, nothing will come from it.”

Salaam said he enjoyed partying and enjoyed smoking pot, but didn’t enjoy working out. When he was able to step onto the field as a rookie and — despite a lengthy contract holdout that had him miss training camp — instantly become the Bears’ No. 1 rusher, he thought the NFL would come as easily to him as football at every other level always had. As it turned out, after that impressive rookie year Salaam would gain a grand total of just 610 yards in the remainder of his NFL career.

“I had no discipline. I had all the talent in the world,” Salaam recalled. “You know, great body, great genes. But I had no work ethic and I had no discipline. The better you get, the harder you have to work. The better I got, the lazier I got. . . . My whole life, up until the Chicago Bears . . . everything was perfect. You know, Parade All-American, Heisman Trophy winner. . . . So I was bound to go through some challenges. Going to the pros at 20 years old and not being disciplined.” --link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/01/rashaan-salaam-offers-some-advice-on-how-not-to-be-a-bust/)

So do you think this Jones kid is going to put in the necessary work & lifestyle changes to make it in the NFL? I'm not sure anyone can change that much.

GP
05-01-2012, 10:34 AM
That can't be real. Jan 1 is a Tuesday in 2013, so the original must have come from 2010/11. Was it a Dez Bryant poster? That sounds like something he would do.

I'm pretty sure, Dutch, that it was promoting this past New Year's Eve.

Saturday, December 31 of 2011.

The next day, Sunday, was January 1, 2012.

The University was pissed off because he attached his likeness and his name to the party's advertising poster that was distributed/displayed in the weeks leading up to Saturday, December 31 2011.

UNC threatened to suspend him which meant he was not going to play in the bowl game (which was held prior to New Year's Eve). So then Dwight complies with UNC, gets to play in the bowl game, and then does a big Eff You! by re-attaching his name to the party and attending it, blah blah blah.

Therefore, UNC officials decided to prohibit him from participating in the official UNC Pro Day held on their college campus. This is why he had to go across town and have his own Pro Day whereby only one scout (Broncos) attended.

Based on Jones' comments, he said he was "done with UNC" after the bowl game ended...meaning that he could care less about what UNC might do to him after the conclusion of the bowl game. He wanted to play ball, then party like a rock star and give a rat's ass about the natural outcome of that decision. So UNC broke ties and said he couldn't be a part of their Pro Day.

And we signed him. LOL.

That's all I got.

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2012, 11:46 AM

The University was pissed off because he attached his likeness and his name to the party's advertising poster that was distributed/displayed in the weeks leading up to Saturday, December 31 2011.

UNC threatened to suspend him which meant he was not going to play in the bowl game (which was held prior to New Year's Eve). So then Dwight complies with UNC, gets to play in the bowl game, and then does a big Eff You! by re-attaching his name to the party and attending it, blah blah blah.

Therefore, UNC officials decided to prohibit him from participating in the official UNC Pro Day held on their college campus. This is why he had to go across town and have his own Pro Day whereby only one scout (Broncos) attended.

Based on Jones' comments, he said he was "done with UNC" after the bowl game ended...meaning that he could care less about what UNC might do to him after the conclusion of the bowl game. He wanted to play ball, then party like a rock star and give a rat's ass about the natural outcome of that decision. So UNC broke ties and said he couldn't be a part of their Pro Day.

And we signed him. LOL.

That's all I got.

Jones' side of the story, from what I've heard him say in interviews, is that he did not give permission for his likeness to be used and that he did not attend the party.

He doesn't come across as very believable, though. I expect GPs statement of the facts to be more reliable than Dwight Jones'.

Dutchrudder
05-01-2012, 12:09 PM

And we signed him. LOL.

That's all I got.

Wow, that's just dumb... There's no way this guy makes the 53.

Brandon420tx
05-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Jones' side of the story, from what I've heard him say in interviews, is that he did not give permission for his likeness to be used and that he did not attend the party.

That's what I heard too. I really don't care about any "reports" until camp starts

Fico
05-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Unless the dude realizes that attitude took him from a top 3 round draft pick to UDFA.

If the guy wants to play he can. If he wants party he will be unemployed. These are the type of players we should be signing as UDFA's. High reward, 0 risk.

CloakNNNdagger
05-01-2012, 03:30 PM

He doesn't come across as very believable, though. I expect GPs statement of the facts to be more reliable than Dwight Jones'.

Then why did he RE-post the whole thing on his personal Facebook page right after he was allowed to play in the Bowl game?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/03/20/3113570/uncs-dwight-jones-banned-from.html#storylink=cpy

Working with the NCAA, UNC reinstated Jones for the bowl game – a 41-24 loss to Missouri – on the agreement Jones would cancel the party. Jones played in the game, catching six passes for 77 yards and a touchdown.

But after the game, the flier was re-posted on Jones’ Facebook page and the party was held as planned. Jones said Tuesday he did not attend the party, but was out with friends celebrating his birthday.

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Then why did he RE-post the whole thing on his personal Facebook page right after he was allowed to play in the Bowl game?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/03/20/3113570/uncs-dwight-jones-banned-from.html#storylink=cpy

Like I said, GPs version has more credibility.

Rey
05-01-2012, 03:47 PM

Jones seems like the kind of guy that talks in circles and eventually talks himself into a corner.

I've heard him say two different things. The first thing I heard him say was that he didn't give permission and then the second thing I heard him say about it was that since the season was over he thought he was no longer being held to NCAA standards.

I don't know. This may have some affect on what type of person/player he becomes, but I really don't care about it. Show up and play ball. There have been a bunch of jive talkers and idiots that have been able to do that.

badboy
05-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Here's video highlights of a game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2H6Ac6-Z0c) with TJ Yates throwing to Dwight Jones at UNC (I think it was two years ago).

7 catches for 198 yards and two TDs in this game.This. He is not the brightest bulb but he can catch the ball and do something with it. We are not talking about drugs, assault, having children with 6 different women or arguing with coaches. If he repeats selling personal items in the pros no one will say anything. Let's give the kid a mentor, reasonable expectations as to conduct of a TEXAN and say go catch the ball.

We know he can do that as we also know Keenum can pass.

Lucky
05-01-2012, 04:04 PM

What Dwight Jones did was dumb. But, what does being dumb have to do with being able to catch passes in the NFL? You can be dumb as a box of rocks, as still make an amazing living in sports. Jones will make or not make the team based upon his ability to play and commit to the sport.

With Jacoby gone, there's a locker available at Reliant for a knucklehead WR. I like Dwight's chances.

Mr teX
05-01-2012, 05:06 PM
eh, he's got the talent but his self destructive behavior will eventually show up & get him off the team if he can't humble himself.

Steve Smith and Arian Foster were both guys that had attitude problems when they 1st came into the league. Perfectly fine with the risk they're taking here with this kid as he could turn into a good one.

drs23
05-01-2012, 06:46 PM
What Dwight Jones did was dumb. But, what does being dumb have to do with being able to catch passes in the NFL? You can be dumb as a box of rocks, as still make an amazing living in sports. Jones will make or not make the team based upon his ability to play and commit to the sport.

With Jacoby gone, there's a locker available at Reliant for a knucklehead WR. I like Dwight's chances.

Just axe CJ2ypc. :kitten:

GP
05-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Just in case people are wondering about the logistics of what I posted, here it is in truncated form:

I built the story from an article that I think CnD had posted, where UNC officials were quoted as having threatened Jones with the proposition of suspending him from the bowl game...so he wisely complied...then after the bowl game he got his swerve on again by hitting warp speed with promotion of the party.

It was a pretty smart move, for a brief moment (since he got to play in the bowl game), but then UNC decided their response to his shenanigans was to ban him from their official UNC Pro Day.

I should go back and quote all the source material but meh. You guys can dig for it if you wanna.

PapaL
05-01-2012, 07:32 PM
So he should of said "Well I plan on being the PS WR, not doing much of anything, and collecting as much cash as I can before they cut me or I make a boneheaded play"?

Again, I prefer a WR that is saying what he's saying IF he can deliver. If he can do what he THINKS he can do, he'll be that emotional spark plug every team needs. If...

Texans_Chick
05-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't see what the big deal was in the interview.

He was laughing when the said the next Andre Johnson bit.

And he spends a great deal of the interview talking about how much he admires Johnson and wants to learn from him.

If you just were listening to the interview without the DWIGHT JONES SAYS HE'S NEXT ANDRE JOHNSON vibe, it really isn't much of anything but a potstir.

If he works hard in camp, he has a shot to make the team or the practice squad.

If he doesn't fit, he's just an UDFA and the Texans took a swing that missed. So what?

Foster almost wasn't a Texan. Braman had issues that he had to overcome to make the actual roster. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss.

Given his physical attributes and his relationship with TJ Yates, I don't mind seeing if they can turn him into a Texan.

redwhiteANDblue
05-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Dont know much about this guy but I remember reading mocks last year saying that we would be lucky to get him in the 2nd round. A lot of people were saying he would be great. Now that we got him as a UDFA that must be a amazing value no? If he was as good as people said he was last year he should have no trouble making the team

TexansFanatic
05-01-2012, 10:09 PM

Agreed. Not much more than some manufactured outrage here.

Maddict5
05-05-2012, 07:25 AM
late to this thread but i really like the pickup

i remember ppl wanting this guy last yr when we saw tj's highlight vids because every second play was a big play to #83. little risk, high reward in a position of need...

kinda like in 09 when we took the talented rb that fell his senior yr because he didnt play as much and had personality concerns

TejasTom
05-05-2012, 09:17 AM
I don't see what the big deal was in the interview...
And he spends a great deal of the interview talking about how much he admires Johnson and wants to learn from him...

Agreed. Not much more than some manufactured outrage here.

This was my interpretation of what he said as well.

EVOLVIST
05-06-2012, 04:15 AM
A brief Dwight Jones interview after his last UNC game. It really doesn't sound like the same Dwight Jones from the interview with the Houston media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48D6xeUG_JI

After watching several interviews with Jones online, it makes me think that his statement to the Houston media was more a.) him not being drafted and hyping himself up...to himself! and b.) coming in with a chip on his shoulder because he went undrafted.

G27RR
05-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Another recent interview, pretty lengthy. Here are some quotes from it...
http://m.thetimesnews.com/articles/burning-55098-bright-person.html

Reports made the rounds that Jones didn’t hustle at the combine or the Senior Bowl. Some accounts claimed he bristled at the mention of special teams.

“I never, ever told anybody that I didn’t want to play special teams,” he says. “At the combine, coaches asked me had I played special teams. I didn’t play special teams. My coaches didn’t allow me to play special teams in college. They didn’t even allow me to practice special teams.”

Jones pauses and points to the “Only God Can Judge Me” tattoo on his chest, rubbing his fingers across the scripted lettering. Then he continues.

“When I see ‘character issues’ and that I’m lazy, I look at it and laugh, like, ‘have you been around me?’ ” he says. “Come around me for a week and I guarantee you’re going to be my friend. I’m one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet.

“It’s kind of frustrating to me because I look at people that just got arrested a couple weeks ago, people that have punched officers in the face, people that have been charged with marijuana. I’ve never been in handcuffs. Go back and ask my coaches what type of person I am and my work ethic. This is what I do.”

Jones, too, is pumped to return to Houston. Moments after locking on as a free agent, he exchanged “let’s go” text messages with T.J. Yates, the former North Carolina quarterback who became a valuable rookie for the Texans’ playoff team last season.

Jones figures to lean on Yates for help in learning Houston’s system. He also salivates at the up-close chance to study Andre Johnson, the All-Pro monster that the Texans feature at receiver.

His excitement burst forth during an interview with a Houston radio station, when Jones called himself, among other things, “the next Andre Johnson.”

The proclamation rippled across the Internet.

“That wasn’t a mistake,” Jones says. “When I said ‘the next Andre Johnson,’ I meant that from the bottom of my heart.”
Texans receivers coach Larry Kirksey heard the radio comments and called to chat. Jones was fishing in Pleasant Grove, one of his favorite hobbies, and reaffirmed his intentions of making the NFL team’s roster.

“In life, man, you always think positive. In life, you speak things into existence,” Jones says. “The work that I put in is the reason why I have confidence in myself. I know what I’m capable of doing.”

“Some people have the smooth sailing in life,” he says. “I always have that bumpy road. And God gives me the bumpy road just so I can work that much harder. He built me to be the guy to get broken down.

“More power to the people that want to judge me and try to bring me down. It only adds fuel to my fire. Not just a drop, but the whole tank of gasoline.”

ObsiWan
05-06-2012, 10:44 AM

He was laughing when the said the next Andre Johnson bit.

And he spends a great deal of the interview talking about how much he admires Johnson and wants to learn from him.

If you just were listening to the interview without the DWIGHT JONES SAYS HE'S NEXT ANDRE JOHNSON vibe, it really isn't much of anything but a potstir.

If he works hard in camp, he has a shot to make the team or the practice squad.

If he doesn't fit, he's just an UDFA and the Texans took a swing that missed. So what?

Foster almost wasn't a Texan. Braman had issues that he had to overcome to make the actual roster. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss.

Given his physical attributes and his relationship with TJ Yates, I don't mind seeing if they can turn him into a Texan.

I took his statement as a personal goal as opposed to a prediction.
And if that's right then who the hell else would you want him to model his career after, Jacoby? Kevin Walter? Jabbar Gaffney? If he aspires to be "the next Andre Johnson" more power to him. I hope he makes it ...as a Texan.
I will say that the first step is "shut up, study, and play hard". :)

CloakNNNdagger
05-06-2012, 10:51 AM
I took his statement as a personal goal as opposed to a prediction.
And if that's right then who the hell else would you want him to model his career after, Jacoby? Kevin Walter? Jabbar Gaffney? If he aspires to be "the next Andre Johnson" more power to him. I hope he makes it ...as a Texan.
I will say that the first step is "shut up, study, and play hard". :)

........or better yet "shut up, study, shut up, play hard.......and shut up." :)

Playoffs
05-06-2012, 11:12 AM
A brief Dwight Jones interview after his last UNC game. It really doesn't sound like the same Dwight Jones from the interview with the Houston media.

After watching several interviews with Jones online, it makes me think that his statement to the Houston media was more a.) him not being drafted and hyping himself up...to himself! and b.) coming in with a chip on his shoulder because he went undrafted.
I think I prefer the cocky "next Andre" to that subdued guy,

But in reality all that doesn't matter. There's not a "personality" stat line -- no DBs will be covering his cockiness. All I care about is if the kid can play.

GP
05-06-2012, 11:15 AM

That was my first opinion of his initial comments: He was hyping himself up to help himself get over the plain fact that he was undrafted.

Hearing his next interview, I still think he feels insecure and he mentions how people can't judge him (only God can). Yeah, well...Dwight...what does God think of you dumping on UNC after the bowl game and going back on your word that you wouldn't promote the New Year's Eve party when UNC said they didn't your name and likeness attached to the party's promotion?

I'm pretty sure God judges that as you not being a man of your word when it involves honoring authority...which is a key tenant of the Holy Scriptures.

When he says he can speak things into existence, that's from the charismatic church's philosophy of the wealth and prosperity doctrine. It says that we have to say things, speak to things, just as Jesus would speak words to the storm to calm it...and we can create wealth and prosperity for ourselves if we just speak things into existence. First of all, that's less Christianity and more positive thinking New Age type rhetoric to begin with. Second of all, I used to be in a charismatic church that preaches the wealth and prosperity doctrine and I can tell you that all it it does to you is make you selfish and you constantly think about what things you want, why isn't God providing for me?, what do I need to do in order to get God to give me stuff? Etc. So it now makes sense why he is a bit brash, a bit chaotic, and wags the "Only God can judge me" finger in people's faces. People can say I don't know what I'm talking about, but I've been in a mega church where that type of talk is the norm.

Hope this guy lives up to his own bill of goods. But I think he's a meltdown waiting to happen. Like I said, he makes me completely forget DeVier Posey's past issues. The Dwight Jones UDFA pickup by the Texans works brilliantly or not at all. Obviously, I hope he grows up and plays up.

ObsiWan
05-06-2012, 12:17 PM
........or better yet "shut up, study, shut up, play hard.......and shut up." :)

heh heh heh....
Doc you don't know how close I came to typing that very phrase
:D

The Pencil Neck
05-06-2012, 12:50 PM
With this kid's talent and ability and Devier's talent and ability, it's almost like we got 2 2nd round receivers this year.

I'm not worried about Devier's character but I am a little -- just a little -- worried about Dwight. But I think having TJ there as the #1 in the OTAs is really going to help this guy. They should already have some chemistry.

I wonder if the coaches talked to TJ about Dwight during the process. I like that TJ texted him a "Let's Go!" right after the draft.

EVOLVIST
05-06-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm pretty sure God judges that as you not being a man of your word when it involves honoring authority...which is a key tenant of the Holy Scriptures.

When he says he can speak things into existence, that's from the charismatic church's philosophy of the wealth and prosperity doctrine. It says that we have to say things, speak to things, just as Jesus would speak words to the storm to calm it...and we can create wealth and prosperity for ourselves if we just speak things into existence. First of all, that's less Christianity and more positive thinking New Age type rhetoric to begin with. Second of all, I used to be in a charismatic church that preaches the wealth and prosperity doctrine and I can tell you that all it it does to you is make you selfish and you constantly think about what things you want, why isn't God providing for me?, what do I need to do in order to get God to give me stuff? Etc. So it now makes sense why he is a bit brash, a bit chaotic, and wags the "Only God can judge me" finger in people's faces. People can say I don't know what I'm talking about, but I've been in a mega church where that type of talk is the norm.

Hope this guy lives up to his own bill of goods. But I think he's a meltdown waiting to happen. Like I said, he makes me completely forget DeVier Posey's past issues. The Dwight Jones UDFA pickup by the Texans works brilliantly or not at all. Obviously, I hope he grows up and plays up.

...And this is exactly why I'm not going to slag off on the guy before actually seeing what he does on the field and/or the way he carries himself in a Texans' uniform—if it gets that far.

If a man doesn't live up to everything the scripture says he should or shouldn't do, that's just being human. I can't squash that, unless it's a pattern, and since these incidences at UNC were closely related in time, that's not a pattern to me, but instead, it is a set of circumstances. "Right" or "wrong."

"For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach [the alter of God]: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or anything superfluous..." Leviticus 21:18 - There's a biblical law for us that most are not going to live up (one out of many). You break one law, you might as well have broken another one.

This New Age take a Christianity you speak of—I'm well familiar with it—is the same engine that drives people like Arian Foster and he gets praised for it. No matter how ancient Foster might derive is tenants, in 2012 it's still "New Age." Indeed, much of Foster's beliefs, if you really examine them, are sitting on the fence beliefs, that in politics would get him ousted and not taken seriously. In the NFL it just makes him quirky.

That Dwight Jones, by all appearances, takes his faith and himself seriously, is at least taking a stance on one side of the fence, despite only a few of his actions being contrary to those beliefs (see above the very human failing)...that does not mean, however, that what he did at UNC should define his whole character. If it did (or should) define him? We'd all be screwed under the same guidelines.

Everyone has said essentially, "Put up or shut up." That's true...as it should be. But when talking UDFAs, there are a few that are going to get preferential treatment from the Texans (and that's just human, too). Rick Smith already alluded to it. So did Kubiak. Dwight Jones is one of them, along with Hebron from BYU, Eddie Pleasant from Oregon, and Case Keenum.

Boy, I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when Jones spoke to Larry Kirksey on the phone after those comments.

But only time will tell, right?

Lucky
05-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah, well...Dwight...what does God think of you dumping on UNC after the bowl game and going back on your word that you wouldn't promote the New Year's Eve party when UNC said they didn't your name and likeness attached to the party's promotion?
What does God think of the NCAA making $billions off the backs of these players?

Come on, there's another forum for this. Let's stick to football here.

NCTexan
05-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I wonder if the coaches talked to TJ about Dwight during the process. I like that TJ texted him a "Let's Go!" right after the draft.

I think TJ was a big reason we signed him actually. Between the coaches finding out what Dwight was really like and just having TJ's presence here may help work out any kinks.

GP
05-06-2012, 02:09 PM
What does God think of the NCAA making $billions off the backs of these players?

Come on, there's another forum for this. Let's stick to football here.

Dwight Jones brought God into this, not me. I'm just making commentary on his religious statement.

If he had said "The planet I am from, we have gems of power that I plan to use to make me the next Andre Johnson." I think we'd be discussing that statement on here.

I won't further the dialogue on it past the one post I made about it, but he said things that I naturally see a connection with in terms of his behavior, his statements, and his potential here. All of that is taken together, IMO. It's the whole bag of groceries.

GP
05-06-2012, 02:12 PM
I think TJ was a big reason we signed him actually. Between the coaches finding out what Dwight was really like and just having TJ's presence here may help work out any kinks.

Or it could give Dwight a false sense of protection from scrutiny; he could think TJ will have his back and stick up for him.

If it works out, it could be great for us. I won't lie, I think college QB-WR combinations can be a great thing when carried over into the NFL. It has the potential to be a great thing. But there's a good chance it flops, too.

Being Captain Obvious here, but oh well: I think this is why the guy went undrafted...nobody wanted to spend a pick on him. UDFAs get to choose which team they want to go to, and so Dwight chose the Texans because of the TJ connection. It's a win-win for Kubiak because if it succeeds it was a cheap contract with no risk (didn't spend a draft pick on him), and if it flops it was just an UDFA contract and that's it.

Lucky
05-06-2012, 02:25 PM
It's the whole bag of groceries.
No, it's not. Athletes toss out "God" in many, many interviews. Doesn't mean we're going to pontificate on their religious commitment. Because we're not in this forum.

The Pencil Neck
05-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Being Captain Obvious here, but oh well: I think this is why the guy went undrafted...nobody wanted to spend a pick on him. UDFAs get to choose which team they want to go to, and so Dwight chose the Texans because of the TJ connection. It's a win-win for Kubiak because if it succeeds it was a cheap contract with no risk (didn't spend a draft pick on him), and if it flops it was just an UDFA contract and that's it.

Oh, of course. I'm sure that Dwight chose the Texans because of TJ. But there has to be an offer from the team and I think the Texans made an offer to him because TJ gave a recommendation of some sort that helped offset the character concerns. If anyone's sweating this, it's TJ. :) He's probably already taken Dwight aside and said, "Don't screw this up, dude."

rush2112mn
05-06-2012, 04:32 PM
According to this Deadspin article from December, Jones had been projected to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's a bit of a goofball, but it looks like the Texans scored a serious steal with this signing.

UNC’s Star Wide Receiver Wants To Violate A Bunch Of NCAA Rules For His Birthday (deadspin.com/5869138/uncs-star-wide-receiver-wants-to-violate-a-bunch-of-ncaa-rules-for-his-birthday)

He said he is going to be the next Andre Johnson...well....guess we will see.....
If he can back up what he says.......good.....if not.....then he has egg on his face......so lets see.......

The Pencil Neck
05-06-2012, 05:12 PM
He said he is going to be the next Andre Johnson...well....guess we will see.....
If he can back up what he says.......good.....if not.....then he has egg on his face......so lets see.......

OK. So.

This kid goes through the worst damn day of his life and doesn't get drafted. He had to be sure someone would at least draft him by the 5th round. At least. But nothing. That's got to hurt. A lot.

Emotionally, he had to be jacked up by that. We saw how jacked up Tate was when Gerhart was selected before him. For 32-33 other guys at your position to be drafted and you NOT to be drafted? Wow. Dreams wrecked.

And then in the next day or so, he's got to do interviews. And he's asked to make a bold prediction. So he goes off and says some stuff. He predicts he's going to be the next Andre Johnson. He was asked to make a bold prediction, and that's a bold prediction. The thing about bold predictions is that they're almost always wrong. That's why they're bold.

But when you consider the size of the chip on this kid's shoulder and the request to make a bold prediction, it's not unexpected. He's still in "I'll show you! I'll be a star! A superstar!" mode. That doesn't bother me. That's understandable.

GP
05-07-2012, 01:48 AM
He's probably already taken Dwight aside and said, "Don't screw this up, dude."

Sounds like the WR coach spoke with him, though nobody knows for sure if the talk was about his bold comments or not.

I am very interested to see if he can be everything he says he can be. For now, it sure seems like he is building himself up pretty big.

Allstar
05-07-2012, 02:38 AM
If there's ever a time for a UDFA WR to make a team and contribute, it's here and now. Dwight has walked into a great opportunity, hopefully he make the best of it.

Blake
05-07-2012, 11:23 AM
http://www.energyburrito.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/dwight_schrute.jpg

76Texan
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Dropped balls must be one of the reasons his stock fell !?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmidiDO8kjw&feature=related

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Wow.

That was... inconsistent. It reminded me of Jacoby almost. Except he runs with the ball more securely. He's got to focus on making the catch more but if he can do that, he could be pretty great.

Vinny
05-08-2012, 12:42 PM

yeah, but he looks good in shorts

thunderkyss
05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
yeah, but he looks good in shorts

:backsout:

76Texan
05-09-2012, 09:43 AM
All kidding aside, I think Dwight Jones has a good chance of either making the team or the PS if he works hard at it.
I think he can also add a little more muscle to his frame or just continue to firm up his body.

6'3 plus, 230 lbs or so, 34" arm, 80-3/9 wingspan.

The potential is there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2kVzXp4Ys

Lucky
05-09-2012, 10:12 PM

It was a mixed bag. Jones showed some of his skills such as leaping ability and run after catch. That interception/fumble was a great play by the defender...and possibly a penalty in the NFL for hitting a defenseless player.

Say Watt
05-09-2012, 10:44 PM
I may be in the minority, but I like this guy a lot. Reminds me a little of Arian with being a bit odd and getting the "character issues" label even though neither had ever been in trouble with the law, did drugs, or caused problems on their teams.

With some coaching, he looks like the kind of player that could be very successful in the NFL if he works hard enough and listens to the advice of those around him. And there is no better guy to learn from than Andre Johnson. AJ doesn't even need to talk to him. Dwight Jones just needs to sit back and watch how a Hall of Famer conducts himself.

Playoffs
05-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Dwight Jones cutups for your perusal:

vs Virginia Tech 2011 [vs. 2012 3rd Rounder Jayron Hosley] -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01xFUaKKqA

vs. Louisville -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLCAblTo960

vs. Georgia Tech -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY4sI3Mj5Z0

steelbtexan
05-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Dwight is neither fast nor quick in and out of his breaks,

In addition to that he appears to be a vit of a headcase,

I hope he puts it all together,he could be an upgrade over Jacoby.

Lucky
05-10-2012, 06:31 AM

I never realized Jones was that physical. Those college kids were bouncing off him. I don't think Jones will get jammed at the LOS. And while he doesn't have great quickness, Jones is able to use his big body and long arms to shield the ball from defenders. Much better after the catch than I originally thought.

The skills are there. It's where Jones' head is at that will determine how he contributes in Houston. If at all.

Playoffs
05-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Ourlads.com pro scout Dan Shonka:

Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina -*6032 230 4.55
Two-year starter who is a big physical slot receiver. Has good run after catch ability. He builds up speed as he goes down the field. Has the strength to make the first tackler miss. Has strong hands to catch the ball in a crowd. Shows the grit to catch inside breaking routes like the slant. Comes back to the ball. Not explosive off the line of scrimmage, but is not held up. Was the Tar Heels’ go-to receiver in the clutch for third down conversions. Good ball reactions to catch the tough pass. Can focus and track the ball into his hands. Can win one on one match-ups with smaller corners. Can make the tough one-handed catches but his concentration drops. Catches the ball in front of him. A good but inconsistent blocker. Has all the tools, just needs to keep honing his craft. Led the Atlantic Coast Conference in catches. Had huge games versus Virginia (198 yds, 2 TDs) and Florida State (223 yds). 2011 stats: 85-1196 yds, 14.1 ypr, 12 TDs. OSR:28/42. Fourth/fifth round. (A-34, H-9, VJ-33, SS-DNP).

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2012/05/10/2012-nfl-undrafted-free-agents-afc-south-houston-texans/

chenjy9
05-10-2012, 06:31 PM

I hope he puts it all together,he could be an upgrade over Jacoby.

He makes catches, plays physical, runs his routes, and consistently moves in a forward direction. The latter in itself is already more than I know I can expect from Jacoby.

76Texan
05-14-2012, 09:34 AM

vs Virginia Tech 2011 [vs. 2012 3rd Rounder Jayron Hosley] -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01xFUaKKqA

vs. Louisville -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLCAblTo960

vs. Georgia Tech -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY4sI3Mj5Z0

Notes:
1. Hosley is 5'10, 178 lbs, 30-7/8 arm.
2. Against Louisvllle, D. Jones went against a Freshman who played with very poor techniques. I would scratch off this game.
3. There was really nothing in the Ga. Tech that can give us a good idea how he will perform at the next level.

I also watched the Miami game, and didn't see anything either.
I definitely need to watch more games, but at the moment I haven't seen any "real" route being ran by Jones to evaluate him properly.
(Whatever I watched in 2010 with Yates at the helm, I've forgotten.)

76Texan
05-14-2012, 09:38 AM
I never realized Jones was that physical. Those college kids were bouncing off him. I don't think Jones will get jammed at the LOS. And while he doesn't have great quickness, Jones is able to use his big body and long arms to shield the ball from defenders. Much better after the catch than I originally thought.

The skills are there. It's where Jones' head is at that will determine how he contributes in Houston. If at all.

He's 6'3-230.
He didn't play as big and physical as I'd like.
I expected him to dominate but he was quite inconsistent.
I've seen him bumped off his routes a couple of times.
In general though, he isn't fast nor quick so good CB can play off him and react to the short routes like the slant quicker than these college CBs could.
And he's not going to run past anybody in the NFL, not even Kareem Jackson :)

badboy
05-14-2012, 09:44 AM

I hope he puts it all together,he could be an upgrade over Jacoby.Other than putting his name on advertising New Year's party conflict what indicates him being a head case? Of all the things we have read about college players (let alone NFL players) this seems minor. I don't think saying he will be the next AJ is a negative.

steelbtexan
05-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Other than putting his name on advertising New Year's party conflict what indicates him being a head case? Of all the things we have read about college players (let alone NFL players) this seems minor. I don't think saying he will be the next AJ is a negative.

Hopefully you're right.

Am I wrong in thinking there's a reason no team in the NFL drafted a guy with the talent that Jones possesses

beerlover
05-14-2012, 10:20 AM
If Jones drops his weight, somewhere under 220, he will shine! He needs to become our Marques Colston (drafted late 7th rd.) long strider with excellent body control, toughness & hands of a possession receiver. http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/day/migrated-media/s071210_saints.jpghttp://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/uploads/5/6/9/8/5698103/676987096.jpg

The Pencil Neck
05-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Other than putting his name on advertising New Year's party conflict what indicates him being a head case? Of all the things we have read about college players (let alone NFL players) this seems minor. I don't think saying he will be the next AJ is a negative.

It's actually more of his reaction to that whole thing that's the problem.

He put his name on this party. He was told to take it off by the school. He took it off. He played his last game and then he thought he was done with school and put his name back on it. So then he couldn't have Pro-Day with the other guys. And then when he's asked about it, he tells people he didn't have anything to do with it and he hadn't authorized his name to be used... even though he was personally displaying the add on his own facebook page (from what I understand.)

It's just a steaming glop of mess and I worry about his judgment in personal matters.

badboy
05-14-2012, 10:28 AM

He put his name on this party. He was told to take it off by the school. He took it off. He played his last game and then he thought he was done with school and put his name back on it. So then he couldn't have Pro-Day with the other guys. And then when he's asked about it, he tells people he didn't have anything to do with it and he hadn't authorized his name to be used... even though he was personally displaying the add on his own facebook page (from what I understand.)

It's just a steaming glop of mess and I worry about his judgment in personal matters.I hear you but my concern is not as great. I followed him last season and think he can be great. As Beerlover said, drop a few pounds and focus on football and he will be a welcome addition. I think the bad press flaired & he became resentful. I still see it as one time incident.

Rey
05-14-2012, 10:33 AM

It's just a steaming glop of mess and I worry about his judgment in personal matters.

The only thing I find crazy is him lying and the fact that he didn't use better judgement so that he could participate in his pro day.

Honestly, to me it sounds like the school was being a little petty.

I don't have an issue with him taking his name off the flyer during the season and putting it back on afterward.

Other than the fact he didn't use foresight.

But mistakes/bad judgment doesn't bother me. Not learning from those situations does.

badboy
05-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Hopefully you're right.

Am I wrong in thinking there's a reason no team in the NFL drafted a guy with the talent that Jones possessesdraft is an emotional time for teams as well as players with millions of dollars being risked. Teams may think it better to bypass a potential hot spot than gamble on a guy. Jones college was same one that had players missing from games and may have been why Yates went so low as he did not have hs full team to bring home victories. I am glad to see McNair allowing more risk possible players to be selected.

How in the world did Green Bay recently get a QB late in first round that might turn out to be one of best in NFL?

76Texan
05-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Just finished the UNC-NC St. game.
It was one of those non-descript 9 catches 72 yards game (including one when the D was in porevent defense at the end of the half and was willing to give him some 13 yards before time expired.)
Either DJ ran a dig route a few yards from the LOS or some quick slant into the zone; there's no in or out of the break movement to watch.
DJ was never even covered by the Wolfpacks' best CB Amerson (watch out for this ball hawk next year).

GP
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
UDFAs are just risks in either (a) talent or (b) character.

They went undrafted because they possess one of those attributes. And "yeah," obviously there's more players available than can be drafted...so it's obvious that not every player can be drafted.

What's happened is that the guys who become UDFAs have talent issues--a bad pro day or skimpy numbers at the combine--or they have checkered pasts that make their talent less sexy in the overall picture of team harmony that's at a premium in every locker room.

Dwight Jones has had VERY unflattering things said about him by an NFL scout who calls him a lazy, entitled turd. That's strong language. He only viewed UNC as his vehicle to the NFL. And even then, he wasn't smart enough to play by the rules UNC set forth for its athletes (every college covers its ass to avoid penalties by the NCAA).

I think this topic has been beaten to death. He either WILL translate into a utilized NFL WR or he won't. Until then, we have an UDFA who is like all the other UDFAs around him...a guy trying to overcome deficiencies and make the team. Great players overcome.

GuerillaBlack
05-14-2012, 11:34 AM
UDFAs are just risks in either (a) talent or (b) character.

They went undrafted because they possess one of those attributes. And "yeah," obviously there's more players available than can be drafted...so it's obvious that not every player can be drafted.

What's happened is that the guys who become UDFAs have talent issues--a bad pro day or skimpy numbers at the combine--or they have checkered pasts that make their talent less sexy in the overall picture of team harmony that's at a premium in every locker room.

Dwight Jones has had VERY unflattering things said about him by an NFL scout who calls him a lazy, entitled turd. That's strong language. He only viewed UNC as his vehicle to the NFL. And even then, he wasn't smart enough to play by the rules UNC set forth for its athletes (every college covers its ass to avoid penalties by the NCAA).

I think this topic has been beaten to death. He either WILL translate into a utilized NFL WR or he won't. Until then, we have an UDFA who is like all the other UDFAs around him...a guy trying to overcome deficiencies and make the team. Great players overcome.
He did wait until after the season though. UNC didn't like that he out smarted them that way, so they got him back by banning him from the Pro Day. It wasn't a series of different events either. This is all we got on him. Haven't heard anything about him being a locker room trouble or anything.

76Texan
05-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Hosley is 5'10, 178 lbs, 30-7/8 arm.

Finally, one "real" route in the VTech game.
But why did he made the cut at 12 yards on a deep-in instead the normal 10?

Probably caught the CB Hosley off-guard on that route.

Safety played run and was late getting over.

Also, notice the pass break-ups due to rudimentary routes by DJ.
Expect this to happen at the next level.

76Texan
05-14-2012, 01:36 PM
It was a mixed bag. Jones showed some of his skills such as leaping ability and run after catch. That interception/fumble was a great play by the defender...and possibly a penalty in the NFL for hitting a defenseless player.

The fumble/int wasn't good on his part.
He din't catch the ball cleanly.
He could have had both hands on the ball, but he didn't.
The ball was craddled between his left hand and his upper arm.
Another way that he can help himself, IMO, is to run his route a little more to the inside so he can turn around and catch the ball (somewhat as a fade); that way he can use his body to shield off the safety.

He ran a couple of pretty good fade routes in the game, but again, IMO, he had the opportunity to crouch the DB a little further to the inside (be more physical) to give himslef and the QB more room near the side line.

It's not that I look to find fault, but I want to find out the possible reason(s) why he wasn't drafted.

In the Clemson game, for example, he was "outmuscled by the DB near the goal-line. This DB, in turn, was in position to make the INT.
DJ should have been where the CB was on the field, but he got "beat to the punch" (using John Madden's term).

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312950228

TejasTom
05-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Just finished the UNC-NC St. game...

Great work as always. I really appreciate your insight.

Have you seen enough to draw a conclusion?

76Texan
05-14-2012, 02:32 PM

Not quite (I've watched 7 so far); I might have to pull up some 2010 tapes to see the things he did well with Yates.

Maybe the Fl St game where he had a career high 233 yards, and one or two more.

He has the tools; just need to work on improving his route running and his positioning just like most young receivers.

GP
05-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Finally, one "real" route in the VTech game.
But why did he made the cut at 12 yards on a deep-in instead the normal 10?

The fumble/int wasn't good on his part.
He din't catch the ball cleanly.
He could have had both hands on the ball, but he didn't.
The ball was craddled between his left hand and his upper arm....

--excerpt snip--

It's not that I look to find fault, but I want to find out the possible reason(s) why he wasn't drafted...

--excerpt snip--

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312950228

I know 76 says he doesn't have a conclusion, but my personal early conclusion is that Dwight Jones would have been drafted by the Texans several years ago in the 3rd round. And his name would have been Jacoby Jones. That rundown by 76 looks a lot like old #12 to me.

The difference is that we're done taking "gamble picks" like we did on the Jacoby Jones pick several years ago. This time around, Kubiak took a solid route runner in DeVier Posey and took an UDFA flier on Dwight Jones.

Kubiak learned his lesson.

That's what it "looks" like to me at the moment.

TejasTom
05-14-2012, 09:02 PM
That's what it "looks" like to me at the moment.

I hope you are right.

badboy
05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I know 76 says he doesn't have a conclusion, but my personal early conclusion is that Dwight Jones would have been drafted by the Texans several years ago in the 3rd round. And his name would have been Jacoby Jones. That rundown by 76 looks a lot like old #12 to me.

The difference is that we're done taking "gamble picks" like we did on the Jacoby Jones pick several years ago. This time around, Kubiak took a solid route runner in DeVier Posey and took an UDFA flier on Dwight Jones.

Kubiak learned his lesson.

That's what it "looks" like to me at the moment.for me a Jacoby that could hold onto ball and make good decisions would be a starter.

GP
05-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I want to clarify that what I meant is that Dwight Jones wasn't drafted by the Texans for perhaps the same reasons we shouldn't have drafted Jacoby Jones.

Questionable hands.

Questionable decision making (albeit in different ways from one another).

Risk vs. Reward ratio.

This time around, Kubiak decided that his project players would be UDFAs instead of draft picks. Gary is quick to be loyal and slow to break loyalty, but once he does...he's done with it for good. If you get a shot on Kubiak's team, you can be here a long time but you have roughly a four-year term (just like a POTUS) to prove yourself.

76Texan
05-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Raw review of DJ's career game against Fla. St. in 2010

Against Fla. St., DJ had a career day catching 8 passes for 233 yards.

It was due to a combination of things:

- A good offensive game plan by UNC, taking advantage of an overtly aggressive Seminoles defense.

- A good QB - Yates - who sold it well and made it easier for the receiver.

- A receiver having a hot day, doing everything right (almost).

76Texan
05-15-2012, 05:32 PM
1. To start off the game, Yates connected with DJ on a slant and go along the left side line for 38 yards off play-action fake out of 221 personnel (standard power I formation).

DJ lined up just inside the numbers; the CB played inside leverage (single safety deep).

The Noles first showed cover 2 but quickly brought the SS down to play the run while the FS scooted to the middle.

With the RCB playing inside leverage; it looks like he's expected to play man without a safety over the top on any outside route.

DJ took 3 hard steps to the inside (showing a slant route);
Yates took the snap and faked a quick pump (selling the slant).
These two actions combined to lured the RCB further to the inside (ha already had inside leverage).

Yates then turned around and performed an excellent faked hand-off with arm extended well away from his body and deep into the gut of the RB.

This froze the CB another fraction of the second; he was a bit too eager to support the run.

As DJ made the move back to the outside, the CB had already opened his hips in the wrong direction and couldn't recover.

The single deep safety was also frozen by the play-action fake (as he saw all 8 men in the box charging - they all bought the PA).

The result was an easy 38-yd catch for DJ.
He did his job well, but he was helped greatly by the scheme and his QB who executed the plan very well.

In another word, Yates (and the scheme) made the receiver look better.

Not to forget that the receiver also carried out his assignment very well.

76Texan
05-15-2012, 05:36 PM
2. Late in the first quarter, Yates connected with DJ again; this time on a simple streak route along the right hashmarks.

On third and 9, The Tar Heels were in 4-wide spread;
2 outside deep routes and 2 intermediate/short crossing routes.

The Noles rushed 5 and were supposed to play 1/4 deep with 2 LBs in the intermediate zone.

One of the safeties erroneously played a shallower route (instead of getting depth to cover his inside 1/4);
one of the LBs failed to attain his proper depth, starting the whole chain of reaction.

DJ did well on this play as he worked to widen the LCB (the same guy who gave up the previous pass);
Jones made the job easier for himself by obtaining a better angle at the ball.

Sometimes ago, I mentioned how Stephen Hill dropped a ball on the same route because he failed to do this.
(When you have to do a Linda Blair to look back at the QB then snap your head right back to catch an overhead throw, it doesn't help your hand-eye coordination.)

Yates, in turn, dropped a perfect pass right into the basket - just the right arch and the right velocity.

The cactch resulted in a 67-yd TD for DJ.

76Texan
05-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Note: the CB is Greg Reid.

He was listed at 5'8 and 175 lbs in his Sophomore year .

(I read he had gained some 10 lbs or so since then.
A Seminole fan here might be ale to give us more info regarding him).

Reid has pretty good speed (4.45-4.46 thereabout), quickness and shiftiness.

He's a good punt and kick returner at FSU.

He will probably get drafted next year due to his return skills.

He might also be useful as a nickel or dime back at the next level as he's also aggressive and physical like McCain.

76Texan
05-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Basically, DJ played well; however he was aided by several factors that added up to make him look better than he really was - not to take anything away from him.

There were a couple of questionable moments even in that career game, but I won't try pick it apart as it was in 2010.

Instead, I'm going back to 2011.

76Texan
05-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm bringing back a play by Devier Posey to illustrate the difference between their route running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEkBl91EJsk

At the 3:00-min mark, you will find a deep ball against Marshall in 2010.

Posey is at the top of the screen as the wide out, with a slot receiver to his inside.

This is another version of the 2-receiver route that "aims" to play the middle deep safety (but Pryor failed to execute it properly).

Posey ran a deep route (skinny post with the option to adjust it to a post route) while the slot receiver ran a crossing route underneath.
If the safety jumps the underneath route, the QB goes deep.
If the safety stays over the top to take away the deep route, the QB hits the crosser.

The job of the QB is to manipulate this middle safety (Marshall would play cover 3).
If he has time (which Pryor did), he could try a pump fake or simply wait for the routes to develop a little longer such that the safety has to commit.
The longer he waits, the further the two receivers seperate from each other.

Actually, there's another receiver who took away the LCB (who was in cover 3); I just omit him for the sake of simplicity.

Now, on to Posey's route running.
He lined up between the numbers and the hashmarks (closer to the hashmarks).
He widened the RCB to the outside (to the numbers) to give him the room to run a skinny post.
Pryor, however, threw to ball too close to the inside (as a post route) that forced Posey to adjust.
A skinny post would have created more distance for the safety to cover.

As Pryor's execution was poor, Posey can only play defender to break up the pass since the safety was in a better position to catch the ball (due to poor ball placement and timing, the ball was also closer to the safety than the receiver).

I'll get to Dwight Jones in the next post; you will see the difference:
Posey ran the route much better.

76Texan
05-17-2012, 10:10 AM
This is DJ against James Madison:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312460153

It was a different situation and it's true that DJ was going against more of a pure double coverage.

James Madison showed cover 2, but brought the RCB in on a run blitz against play action (with a built-in reverse).

Here, the QB didn't do a very good job of selling the play-fake; a better option for him would be to the check down to the FB.

It looks like DJ was trying to run a slant-and-go, but the free safety didn't buy neither the run fake nor the reverse.
Nonetheless, Jones would have done better if he tried to forced it on the FS, pushing him a little more to the outside.
That way, the QB can throw the ball to him at a shorter distance, perhaps at 17-22 yards or so.

Instead, he took his route just a little bit too much to the inside, and ended up running right into double coverage (toward the SS) - perhaps unintentionally.

It's true that the QB was pressured and didn't have good placement on the ball and forced Jones to adjust.
But notice that the QB was also looking at DJ and the FS to read the situation before he threw the pass; he was following Jones' move as early as some 8 yards off the LOS.

Let's say it wasn't poor route running; at the end of the day, Jones was in the same position as Posey, but Jones didn't play defender as the SS picked off the ball.
And that was the most important thing.

76Texan
05-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Against Rutgers this year, there was this fumble:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312530153

76Texan
05-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Against Virginia, Jones caught a TD on a fade route:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312600153

True that there was hand-fighting going on there, but I would have like for Jones to work to push the CB a little to the inside to give the QB more room along the side line; after all he has the size advantage.

He ended up catch the ball with one foot inbound.

This was a great play in college, but it will be an incompletion at the next level.
(Even though defensive holding might have been called).

GP
05-17-2012, 01:25 PM
I think it was very clever of Jacoby Jones to find a way to convince Dwight Jones to exchange faces...sort of like Travolta and Cage in the movie Face/Off.

Dwight gets to go to Baltimore and Jacoby gets to stay here with a fresh start. Brilliant.

Señor Stan
05-17-2012, 02:03 PM
I think it was very clever of Jacoby Jones to find a way to convince Dwight Jones to exchange faces...sort of like Travolta and Cage in the movie Face/Off.

Dwight gets to go to Baltimore and Jacoby gets to stay here with a fresh start. Brilliant.

Dwight screwed up the plan by taking jersey #87 instead of #12.

The Pencil Neck
05-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Dwight screwed up the plan by taking jersey #87 instead of #12.

It's all part of the subterfuge. Instead of taking 12, he took the number that's 12 back from 99, instead.

Hopefully, this reversal of polarity will be evident in a reversal of suck as well.

Lucky
05-29-2012, 10:08 PM
If Jones comes prepared to go 110% on the field and the classroom, were talking about a steal. If he comes in acting aloof and entitled, Jones may not make it to training camp.

Well, I guess we know which Jones showed up. Seriously, who quits the NFL? In OTAs? Unbelievable.

Allstar
05-30-2012, 02:44 AM
There has to be more to the story. This is a guy that has been doing nothing but training for the NFL for the last 5 months. He has an agent and attended workouts, signed with a team, flew down here, made living arrangements and everything. There's no way he just had some sort of epiphany on memorial day. Thank god this chump didn't get the chance pan out, it could have turned into a Ricky Williams situation.

ObsiWan
05-30-2012, 02:57 AM
There has to be more to the story. This is a guy that has been doing nothing but training for the NFL for the last 5 months. He has an agent and attended workouts, signed with a team, flew down here, made living arrangements and everything. There's no way he just had some sort of epiphany on memorial day. Thank god this chump didn't get the chance pan out, it could have turned into a Ricky Williams situation.

Yeah... the real story can't be this simple as "this is too hard, I'm going home". ...after only three days too? If our local media had any investigative chops about them, they'd do a little digging.

TejasTom
05-30-2012, 07:40 AM
There has to be more to the story...

He has photo shoot scheduling conflict for his next party flyer.

Dwight Jones
Undrafted free agent
3 Day OTA dropout

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2011/12/dwight_jones_new_year_s_party.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
06-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Dwight Jones is still listed on the HT.com official roster. Think this might be a mistake or oversight, I checked around and found the same roster status on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/hou/houston-texans), FOXsports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/houston-texans/roster/67071?q=houston-texans), and even NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/players/search?category=team&filter=2120&playerType=current) So I went to Ourlads (http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/alpharoster/HOU) which is noted to have the reputation for maintaining the most up to date roster listings...........and there he is......Dwight Jones WR. Then I thought maybe there could still an "update" problem. But that isn't the case. The most recent roster addition of Moran Norris was found in each roster listing.

Is there something going on in the background? An extended open door? A form of punishment? At very least.......strange.

Lurvinator11
06-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Dwight Jones is still listed on the HT.com official roster. Think this might be a mistake or oversight, I checked around and found the same roster status on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/hou/houston-texans), FOXsports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/houston-texans/roster/67071?q=houston-texans), and even NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/players/search?category=team&filter=2120&playerType=current) So I went to Ourlads (http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/alpharoster/HOU) which is noted to have the reputation for maintaining the most up to date roster listings...........and there he is......Dwight Jones WR. Then I thought maybe there could still an "update" problem. But that isn't the case. The most recent roster addition of Moran Norris was found in each roster listing.

Is there something going on in the background? An extended open door? A form of punishment? At very least.......strange.

HoustonTexans.com noted that he is still on the 90 man roster even though he hasn't come back since quitting. Even though he is still on, they are at 89 men on the roster. He will probably be cut once the roster is required to be trimmed.

Playoffs
06-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Dwight Jones is still listed on the HT.com official roster... Is there something going on in the background? An extended open door? A form of punishment? At very least.......strange.I'm thinking Rick & Gary don't want to be taken off DJ's future sexxxy casual party exclusive invitation lists, ya know? http://www.labusas.org/forum/images/smilies/mr_pimp.gif

Wolf6151
06-17-2012, 03:17 AM
When Jones quit Kubiak made a statement to the effect that he was leaving the door open for Jones to come back, making it sound as if Jones was just on information overload and needed some time. Keeping him on the roster could also be punishment, maybe as long as he's on our roster he's not allowed to sign with anyone else since he was signed by us as an UDFA. Their might have been some personality issues and keeping him on the roster might prevent him from just shopping his skills around to the rest of the league.

badboy
06-17-2012, 09:47 PM
When Jones quit Kubiak made a statement to the effect that he was leaving the door open for Jones to come back, making it sound as if Jones was just on information overload and needed some time. Keeping him on the roster could also be punishment, maybe as long as he's on our roster he's not allowed to sign with anyone else since he was signed by us as an UDFA. Their might have been some personality issues and keeping him on the roster might prevent him from just shopping his skills around to the rest of the league.My thoughts also

76Texan
06-17-2012, 10:39 PM
When Jones quit Kubiak made a statement to the effect that he was leaving the door open for Jones to come back, making it sound as if Jones was just on information overload and needed some time. Keeping him on the roster could also be punishment, maybe as long as he's on our roster he's not allowed to sign with anyone else since he was signed by us as an UDFA. Their might have been some personality issues and keeping him on the roster might prevent him from just shopping his skills around to the rest of the league.UNC runs almost a copy-cat of the Texans system; how can DJ has a case of information-overload, especially with his former teammate Yates here to help make the transition even easier for him?

Playoffs
06-17-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm thinking it was more work ethic overload & little fish/big pond switch-a-roo. Talent alone doesn't cut it.

ckhouston
06-18-2012, 06:30 AM
UNC runs almost a copy-cat of the Texans system; how can DJ has a case of information-overload, especially with his former teammate Yates here to help make the transition even easier for him?

Exactly. In essence this kid should already know the scheme well enough to quickly master the playbook. Looks like he is just a quitter and thats a shame because he seemed to have the physical ability, just no heart I guess.

TimeKiller
06-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Whatever the reason, he's blowing a perfect opportunity. AJ is out, Walter is a low bar and the rest are a bunch of young guys like himself.

badboy
06-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Whatever the reason, he's blowing a perfect opportunity. AJ is out, Walter is a low bar and the rest are a bunch of young guys like himself.Maybe it is stage fright NFL style. It effects people differently. :tiphat:

Rey
06-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe he just doesn't want to play anymore?

It happens. You spend a majority of your young life doing nothing but football. All year long. You don't lead a regular life and you are under strict guidelines even in the off-season. Your whole life is football.

Maybe when he got to the NFL and he realized that it was about to get even more serious he decided that he wanted to be a regular guy for a while. Do things on his own terms. Do what he wanted to, when he wanted to.

Just throwing the possiblity out there since we're all speculating...

GP
06-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Maybe he just doesn't want to play anymore?

It happens. You spend a majority of your young life doing nothing but football. All year long. You don't lead a regular life and you are under strict guidelines even in the off-season. Your whole life is football.

Maybe when he got to the NFL and he realized that it was about to get even more serious he decided that he wanted to be a regular guy for a while. Do things on his own terms. Do what he wanted to, when he wanted to.

Just throwing the possiblity out there since we're all speculating...

If that's the case, then he got a head start back when he was still in college.

Maybe he's just always been a bit "flighty" and he stood no chance as the years passed by and his lifestyle became so much of a habit that it over-shadowed everything else?

From appearances, I think he was a borderline flight risk most of his college life too. A lot of talent, a lot of help from those around him, and now he had a chance to do something on his own and he couldn't get the help he had in high school and college.

In the NFL, it's different than high school in college. In HS and College, your star athletes are extremely pampered because everyone who has a say in that athlete's life knows that the athlete is what can make the team (and the school) really leap forward...if the player juuuust has a little help. Help with classes, help with grades, help with tardies, help with other things.

Flash forward to the NFL: No help except the help you EARN and go after via your own efforts. Look at Brandon Brooks. The texans could easily hire and pay for a nutritionist (on their own dime) to make sure he sheds pounds like Kubiak wants him to. Nope, they're seeing if he WANTS to do this on his own or not. He'll be encouraged, no doubt, but they're not babysitting these ex-college players. It's a whole new world for them--A life of earning 100% by means of going after it on their own.

My money, if we're betting, is that Dwight Jones saw that an NFL camp is a lot more like the real world than what he expected. 3 days was enough, which tells me he was unable to start from scratch...he likely wanted things handed to him, like he probably enjoyed in HS and college. IMO.

People bag on Terrell Owens a lot. But guys like him, and I wonder about Dwight Jones childhood too, are immediately at a disadvantage if they have never had genuinely "good" role models in their life as children. A wasted childhood affects people when they enter adulthood. It's not an excuse, it's just saying that it DOES impact how an adult filters the world around them. To me, it's the difference between laying down and taking what life gives you vs. rising up and overcoming those obstacles.

What makes some guys rise above, and what makes some guys wallow in misery and implode??? I dunno. I just think it's sad no matter what. If time could be reversed, I wonder what becomes of Terrell Owens if he had a stable childhood and was held to a standard and had genuine support around him. I guess that's the whole nature vs. nurture argument, but still...the older I get, and as I see my kids grow up, the more these things are at the forefront of my mind.

Does anyone think Dwight Jones has/had a genuinely GOOD support system around him? Family and friends who are/were always helping him to help himself...or was it sort of a broken system where people aided and abetted a dysfunctional view of the real world? I genuinely wonder.

badboy
06-18-2012, 01:23 PM
If that's the case, then he got a head start back when he was still in college.

Maybe he's just always been a bit "flighty" and he stood no chance as the years passed by and his lifestyle became so much of a habit that it over-shadowed everything else?

From appearances, I think he was a borderline flight risk most of his college life too. A lot of talent, a lot of help from those around him, and now he had a chance to do something on his own and he couldn't get the help he had in high school and college.

In the NFL, it's different than high school in college. In HS and College, your star athletes are extremely pampered because everyone who has a say in that athlete's life knows that the athlete is what can make the team (and the school) really leap forward...if the player juuuust has a little help. Help with classes, help with grades, help with tardies, help with other things.

Flash forward to the NFL: No help except the help you EARN and go after via your own efforts. Look at Brandon Brooks. The texans could easily hire and pay for a nutritionist (on their own dime) to make sure he sheds pounds like Kubiak wants him to. Nope, they're seeing if he WANTS to do this on his own or not. He'll be encouraged, no doubt, but they're not babysitting these ex-college players. It's a whole new world for them--A life of earning 100% by means of going after it on their own.

My money, if we're betting, is that Dwight Jones saw that an NFL camp is a lot more like the real world than what he expected. 3 days was enough, which tells me he was unable to start from scratch...he likely wanted things handed to him, like he probably enjoyed in HS and college. IMO.

People bag on Terrell Owens a lot. But guys like him, and I wonder about Dwight Jones childhood too, are immediately at a disadvantage if they have never had genuinely "good" role models in their life as children. A wasted childhood affects people when they enter adulthood. It's not an excuse, it's just saying that it DOES impact how an adult filters the world around them. To me, it's the difference between laying down and taking what life gives you vs. rising up and overcoming those obstacles.

What makes some guys rise above, and what makes some guys wallow in misery and implode??? I dunno. I just think it's sad no matter what. If time could be reversed, I wonder what becomes of Terrell Owens if he had a stable childhood and was held to a standard and had genuine support around him. I guess that's the whole nature vs. nurture argument, but still...the older I get, and as I see my kids grow up, the more these things are at the forefront of my mind.

Does anyone think Dwight Jones has/had a genuinely GOOD support system around him? Family and friends who are/were always helping him to help himself...or was it sort of a broken system where people aided and abetted a dysfunctional view of the real world? I genuinely wonder.If bolded is true, he is now in that real world and is considering how he will buy food & shelter. Maybe that is what Gary is hoping and Jones will reconsider. :thinking:

ATRAIN
06-18-2012, 05:00 PM
You know today was the first I have heard about this. WTF...and this was the guy saying he was going to be the next Andre Johnson?? I hope he didnt just quit. There are tons of guys that would love to even make a practice squad. He prob got his feelings hurt cause you knew he wasnt going to make the team and wasnt as good and he told himself.

GP
06-18-2012, 05:37 PM
If bolded is true, he is now in that real world and is considering how he will buy food & shelter. Maybe that is what Gary is hoping and Jones will reconsider. :thinking:

I really think Gary Kubiak is sending a message by keeping his name on the roster. Gary is saying "I will never give up on anybody. I will always believe in my guys."

He's making it known that the door is open if the heart is right. I doubt he's trying to keep other teams from claiming Jones. I truly think Gary Kubiak would welcome him back if the guy came back and was serious about getting to work. Might not keep him, might not make anything BUT the practice squad, but I think Kubiak would still give him a shot.

drs23
06-18-2012, 07:02 PM
I really think Gary Kubiak is sending a message by keeping his name on the roster. Gary is saying "I will never give up on anybody. I will always believe in my guys."

He's making it known that the door is open if the heart is right. I doubt he's trying to keep other teams from claiming Jones. I truly think Gary Kubiak would welcome him back if the guy came back and was serious about getting to work. Might not keep him, might not make anything BUT the practice squad, but I think Kubiak would still give him a shot.

That's what it sounded like to me as well. I don't think he'll be back though.

But I do think he'll make the news again. :choke:

badboy
06-19-2012, 10:24 AM

He's making it known that the door is open if the heart is right. I doubt he's trying to keep other teams from claiming Jones. I truly think Gary Kubiak would welcome him back if the guy came back and was serious about getting to work. Might not keep him, might not make anything BUT the practice squad, but I think Kubiak would still give him a shot.I agree. Jones would have the opportunity to learn and develop with little pressure. Maybe he is putting more stress on himself than coaches did. Maybe a little Zoloft would help?

b0ng
06-19-2012, 02:22 PM
It's going to be an unknown as to why a guy with all the talent in the world can't hack it at Texans camp. I know Kubiak has been criticized around here for being too "soft" (And I remember a lot of people not really high on the Wade Phillips hire because he is also considered "soft". lol at those people), so to see that somebody quit on him seems puzzling.

Would love to see Jones come back and play up to his potential, because we could really use that. He is what he is though, and if it turns out he's a quitter, then so be it.

TEXANRED
06-19-2012, 05:45 PM

I think it's more of a "You signed a contract with me and if you won't play for me you won't play for anyone." Type thing.

drs23
06-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I think it's more of a "You signed a contract with me and if you won't play for me you play for anyone." Type thing.

Not being a grammar nazi here but did you mean to say "won't play for anyone"?

Does anyone really think this clown will be back? And I'm one of the clowns that thought he had a legit shot at making the team.:thinking:

Texan_Bill
06-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I think it's more of a "You signed a contract with me and if you won't play for me you won't play for anyone." Type thing.

Yeah, because that type of spitefullness has always been the MO of The Texans organization, from Bob McNair on down. :rolleyes:

I think its more of a case that the kid was overwhelmed which can be daunting if your heart isn't into it 100%.

Playoffs
06-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Who knows what kind of contract & rights issues are involved here,

And who cares about a guy who predictably (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=8951445&p=1) walked away?

Put this thread to bed -- let's talk about somebody we drafted or is with the team.

Texan_Bill
06-19-2012, 07:03 PM

And who cares about a guy who predictably (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=8951445&p=1) walked away?

Put this thread to bed -- let's talk about somebody we drafted or is with the team.

Perfect! Right on!!

P. Randy Bullock

GO!

:cowboy1:

GP
06-19-2012, 08:52 PM

My favorite poster quote was this gem (upon learning Dwight Jones became a Texans UDFA):

Note to Texans: Increase media training budget.

LMAO.

Texan_Bill
06-19-2012, 09:29 PM
My favorite poster quote was this gem (upon learning Dwight Jones became a Texans UDFA):

LMAO.

WTF does that even mean??

GP
06-25-2012, 10:35 AM
WTF does that even mean??

The poster was saying that whatever the Texans front office has budgeted for training the players how to handle themselves in the media, such as when the player is being interviewed or how the player conducts himself on twitter, Facebook, etc., that the Texans better increase that budget in order to help Dwight Jones not make a fool of himself and the Texans with what he says in the media.

Sure enough, Dwight Jones goes on a radio interview and proclaims he's the next Andre Johnson. LOL. He's a gaffe machine, saying and doing things that are not helping him nor the team he's associated with.

drs23
06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
The poster was saying that whatever the Texans front office has budgeted for training the players how to handle themselves in the media, such as when the player is being interviewed or how the player conducts himself on twitter, Facebook, etc., that the Texans better increase that budget in order to help Dwight Jones not make a fool of himself and the Texans with what he says in the media.

Sure enough, Dwight Jones goes on a radio interview and proclaims he's the next Andre Johnson. LOL. He's a gaffe machine, saying and doing things that are not helping him nor the team he's associated with.

GP, do you really think that's a worry point at this time. Or any time in the future? I don't.

And like Dutch said, I'm down to 4 FAs now. :mad:

GP
06-26-2012, 02:30 PM
GP, do you really think that's a worry point at this time. Or any time in the future? I don't.

And like Dutch said, I'm down to 4 FAs now. :mad:

He stirred up the hornet's nest. Blabbing on about how he was big stuff, then craps out after three days. He owns that bit of Dwight Jones history.

BTW, dude is STILL on the roster. LOL. What a world.

drs23
06-26-2012, 04:13 PM
He stirred up the hornet's nest. Blabbing on about how he was big stuff, then craps out after three days. He owns that bit of Dwight Jones history.

BTW, dude is STILL on the roster. LOL. What a world.

Yeah, no ****e. If the dude could have only found a way to be humble and take advantage of a golden opportunity on a team on the rise. He had a chance to back up his *shock statement* but decided to tuck-n-run back to the hood. He'll be busted for selling rock on the corner before it's over.

Sad, really sad.