PDA

View Full Version : Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Pages : [1] 2

Heath Shuler
04-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26

Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Lurvinator11
04-28-2012, 07:37 PM
If the texans had a 7th rounder, I feel they would have drafted him.

I am excited to have him here as a Texan.

Texn4life
04-28-2012, 07:37 PM
76!!!! We're going to find out what your boy is made of. Now that he's a Texan I hope that he proves me wrong.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 07:38 PM
This makes me happy. I hope he does well.

ItsMyFault
He'll never get to play.

Yates is light years ahead of him.

He'll eventually get waived or sign with someone else next season if that.

CloakNNNdagger
I was hoping this would happen.

Lurvinator11
04-28-2012, 07:39 PM
I guess this means we won't trade for Colt anymore.

Heath Shuler
04-28-2012, 07:41 PM
He'll never get to play.

if our 3rd team QB has to play we are in trouble.

I hope the 2nd teamer only plays in mop up duty, when we are up by 30 points

Ryan
04-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Nice.

speedfreek
04-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Kid was a gutsy winner, he'll find a way to stick..

(and McNair just got about 32K new fans..)

Prolly need to put VY on suicide alert now, though..

TJ

texan_b
04-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Any word on if Patrick Edwards is coming with him?

Fili
Good. He'll probably compete with Yates in the near future.

CloakNNNdagger
Look at his INT/TD ratios and PASSER RATINGS.......and long passes per game. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/191981/case-keenum)

Wolf
Kubiak said they would probably bring in two QB per live tv

rush2112mn
04-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Why not give him a shot....he can toss the ball. Congratulations....to him and good luck....

rmartin65
04-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Good. He'll probably compete with Yates in the near future.

Whoa there bud... pull up on those reigns.

CretorFrigg
04-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I wanted us to sign Kellen Moore, but I'm happy with Case Keenum too. Honestly though, I don't think he'll stick around. I've been reading up scout reports and it seems as though his lack of arm strength really affects his accuracy.

CloakNNNdagger
04-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Intercepted 5 times in 603 attempts with 71% completion rate last season.:)

CretorFrigg
04-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Intercepted 5 times in 603 attempts with 71% completion rate last season.:)

Yeah, but he played in Conference USA. ...not exactly the most competitive conference out there. I hope he does well though.

speedfreek
04-28-2012, 07:51 PM
For the love of God people, Keenum threw the ball with more velocity than T.J. Yates.

Quit regurgitating nonsense about arm strength..

TJ

Dishman
04-28-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm intrigued by this pick-up. I hope Kubes can do something with him. I don't pay too much attention to college players to know enough about Keenun other than what I've occasionally heard on the radio. How do you guys think he will compare to Kolb in the NFL?

CretorFrigg
04-28-2012, 07:53 PM
For the love of God people, Keenum threw the ball with more velocity than T.J. Yates.

TJ

Yes, arm strength is overrated. But when it affects his accuracy, there's a problem.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-26/case-keenum-disappoints-in-throwing-drills

I'm not going to bash the pickup because he's an UDFA, but I just think people are getting too excited.

TexansFanatic
04-28-2012, 07:54 PM
I wanted us to sign Kellen Moore, but I'm happy with Case Keenum too. Honestly though, I don't think he'll stick around. I've been reading up scout reports and it seems as though his lack of arm strength really affects his accuracy.

NFL height = no.
NFL arm = no

Happy to have the hometown kid in camp just for the fun of it, but the odds of watching him taking any regular season NFL snaps are extremely low.

Rey
04-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Good pick up...

But it's a far cry from being number 1 overall to being undrafted....

Just messing wit ya 76...

But seriously...I like this pick up a lot...

speedfreek
04-28-2012, 07:55 PM
He's more accurate than Yates.

Guy has one bad combine and all of a sudden the QB with
every important record in NCAA history is a flop.

He came from an offensive system that doesn't throw those
kinds of patterns.

Let him get some time working it with a receiver and you'll
see the difference.

TJ

Yes, arm strength is overrated. But when it affects his accuracy, there's a problem.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-26/case-keenum-disappoints-in-throwing-drills

TimeKiller
04-28-2012, 07:58 PM
I can dig it. Give the guy a shot.

Hervoyel
04-28-2012, 08:00 PM

TJ

Undersized, lacks arm strength, system QB..... Drew Brees had all of that said about him too.

There is no tangible impediment to Keenum making it in the NFL. All that stuff that gets regurgitated is just the standard parroted bull**** that people read and repeat. It just takes one writer or blogger to start it.

It's really all about whether or not he's got it upstairs and if he's that kind of competitor. If he's got what it takes to do it mentally then he has the tools to make it happen. If he doesn't then he could be David Carr for all that it mattered.

He'll get a chance and I hope he can capitalize on it.

Lucky
04-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Keenum has more arm strength than Moore, is a better athlete, is a better QB. Moore was outstanding at Boise, but he's not a pro QB. Keenum I think can make it as a backup, due to his underrated athletic ability and moxie.

A pre-draft interview (http://amarillo.com/sports/college-sports/2012-04-17/houston-qb-keenum-wont-forget-his-roots) with Keenum where he answers a question about becoming a Texan.

What would it be like to be drafted by the Houston Texans? ‘‘I wouldn’t mind it all. Just moving from Scott Street down to Kirby Street. It’s a deal where I’ve met with Coach (Gary) Kubiak and the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. I’ve gotten to know them quite well. I love that entire organization.”

False Start
04-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Good deal. Maybe Kubiak can work with him and help him improve. I doubt he will be more than a PS player though.

CloakNNNdagger
04-28-2012, 08:07 PM
VIDEO: Case Keenum's 80 Yard Bomb To Patrick Edwards (http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-cougars/2012/1/2/2677101/video-case-keenum-patrick-edwards-2012-outback-bowl)
Jan 02 1:14p by Jonathan Tjarks

Despite a record-setting career at Houston, NFL scouts have been leery of Cougars QB Case Keenum.

There have been questions about his level of competition, his arm strength as well as his ability to make plays in the pocket.

He showed the ability to do all three in this 80-yard bomb to Patrick Edwards at the end of the first half of the 2012 TicketCity Bowl against a top-ranked Penn State defense:

I'll take game-time performance over drills anytime.

badboy
04-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Was one of the UDFA I hoped to get. This part of draft Saturday going better than the other.

TexansFanatic
04-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Undersized, lacks arm strength, system QB..... Drew Brees had all of that said about him too.

The NFL had 31 teams when Brees was drafted 32nd overall. That means, by today's standards, he would have been a 1st round draft pick.

What you say about Brees is correct, but to compare Keenum to Brees is a real stretch.

Again, I'm happy to have the hometown kid in the fold, but we probably shouldn't expect a Drew Brees kind of story from him.

Just sayin....

iLoveTexans
04-28-2012, 08:11 PM

This, I think Kellen Moore has a higher ceiling than Keenum, even though Keenum when to UH..

Insideop
04-28-2012, 08:14 PM
if our 3rd team QB has to play we are in trouble.

I hope the 2nd teamer only plays in mop up duty, when we are up by 30 points

Isn't that what we said last year?

I'm somewhat surprised they didn't draft a QB in the later rounds, but I'm glad we got Keenum signed and I hope he sticks!

Victor B
04-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Anyone who says he lacks arm strength or accuracy hasn't watched him play very often. He's a playmaker and that is something you can't teach. Go back and watch this past year's games of UH vs UCLA and Penn St. Keenum completely dismantled the "mighty" Big 10 defense of Penn St.

Kellen Moore doesn't have the athletic ability that Keenum has.

thunderkyss
04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26

Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans
woo-hoo.... That's the cherry on top of this draft.

I like it.

utahmark
04-28-2012, 08:24 PM
VIDEO: Case Keenum's 80 Yard Bomb To Patrick Edwards (http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-cougars/2012/1/2/2677101/video-case-keenum-patrick-edwards-2012-outback-bowl)

That pass went about 45 yards in the air. Not sure how that proves anything.

Hardcore Texan
04-28-2012, 08:24 PM
This makes me happy. I hope he does well.

Me too.

There is no tangible impediment to Keenum making it in the NFL. All that stuff that gets regurgitated is just the standard parroted bull**** that people read and repeat. It just takes one writer or blogger to start it.

It's really all about whether or not he's got it upstairs and if he's that kind of competitor. If he's got what it takes to do it mentally then he has the tools to make it happen. If he doesn't then he could be David Carr for all that it mattered.

Well said Herv.

Lucky
04-28-2012, 08:27 PM
It doesn't. Neither did the combine passing drills. Once in a NFL game, even preseason, the real test will begin.

disaacks3
04-28-2012, 08:31 PM

I'll take game-time performance over drills anytime. Hey, I love getting the guy, but that pass traveled max 42 yards in the air (23 to 35). It didn't really show off his arm strength.

woo-hoo.... That's the cherry on top of this draft.

I like it. Agreed. :)

ObsiWan
04-28-2012, 08:31 PM
He'll never get to play.

Personally, I'm hoping he doesn't have to be rushed in like Colt McCoy and that he gets to develop on the practice squad.

PapaL
04-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Undrafted...best wishes to him. Time to fight the good fight. He'll be a good arena league guy.

thunderkyss
04-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Wow.... I'm just happy for the kid because he's from Houston. I don't live in Houston, but I'd root & support anyone from Houston to "do something." If your name (any of you who live in/come from Houston) ever got mentioned for doing something, or an opportunity to do something, I'd be rooting for you. That's just the way I roll.

This kid is an UDFA, meaning we didn't give up anything of any value to pick him up. We've got our starter, we've got our back-up, now we've got someone to run the scout team.

It's totally up to him if he's going to take his career farther.

CloakNNNdagger
04-28-2012, 08:37 PM

Accurate perfectly placed moderately long pass under fire. How many 45 yard or longer passes have you seen Schaub complete during a year?

Hervoyel
04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
The NFL had 31 teams when Brees was drafted 32nd overall. That means, by today's standards, he would have been a 1st round draft pick.

What you say about Brees is correct, but to compare Keenum to Brees is a real stretch.

Again, I'm happy to have the hometown kid in the fold, but we probably shouldn't expect a Drew Brees kind of story from him.

Just sayin....

What I'm saying is that there has been not a single "measurable" presented that would prevent him from succeeding in the NFL. These are the same knocks that everyone who doesn't fit the physical mold is hit with. At the same time players who don't fit the ideal have made it and been successful. Brees was simply an easy example who happens to be playing right now and who came to mind.

What will reallydetermine whether or not Keenum can play will be his own ability to grasp the game at this level and his competitive intensity.

Like I said, he'll get a chance. If he can play at this level there will be a place for him in the league. It's not like he's 5'4" or entirely devoid of arm strength.

A chance is more than many ever get. I hope he makes the most of it.

Lucky
04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey, I love getting the guy, but that pass traveled max 42 yards in the air (23 to 35). It didn't really show off his arm strength.
I see pages of screen captures by 76Texan in this thread's future.

Marcus
04-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Kid was a gutsy winner, he'll find a way to stick..

(and McNair just got about 32K new fans.

Prolly need to put VY on suicide alert now, though..

TJ

Good! Maybe we could get VY and JJ to commit suicide together.

NastyNate
04-28-2012, 08:42 PM

Show me a play where Shaub throws over 45 yards... I'll wait. WCO doesn't need some spread guy that can air it out 75 yards. We couldn't even use that. What WR do we even have with that kind of speedster ability?

Yall really need to quit regurgitating everything you read off of draft boards. Has never had a season less than 65% completion rate and his last two FULL seasons were both over 70%. Throws his receivers open, has football IQ, and will make it in the NFL.

Hervoyel
04-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Personally, I'm hoping he doesn't have to be rushed in like Colt McCoy and that he gets to develop on the practice squad.

This is what I want. I hope we keep him on the practice squad for a year give him a shot to be #3 for real next season. More than that though I hope he merits that.

Hervoyel
04-28-2012, 08:44 PM

Suicide pact. Vince throws a ball that hits a target.... wait, no that isn't gonna work. JJ catches a...... no, that's just as bad.

They're gonna need a really simple suicide machine.

76Texan
04-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Good pick up...

But it's a far cry from being number 1 overall to being undrafted....

Just messing wit ya 76...

But seriously...I like this pick up a lot...

Hey, I'm realistic.
I never did contest it when you said he could go undrafted.
I know it was a very real possibility.

This is a perfect ending to the draft season.

Being an UDFA means that he can choose a team that he likes (if that team also likes him).

It beats having some other team drafting him and we end up regretting it.

This way, there will be no regret.
I'm very happy to see him in Texans uni.

CloakNNNdagger
04-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Suicide pact. Vince throws a ball that hits a target.... wait, no that isn't gonna work. JJ catches a...... no, that's just as bad.

I agree. We need to keep it really simple.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSV_OJYjeHag6QsbVoqByjNsnCgbu60 eDSXlOcQN4y0E9cpPY3KA

Thorn
04-28-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm glad to see this. Home town boy makes good is always a great story. :)

badboy
04-28-2012, 09:05 PM
I think more QBs fail for not having it between their ears rather than what's between elbow and shoulder.

Now sign Jean-Baptiste NT

Dutchrudder
04-28-2012, 09:08 PM

Someone needs to teach him how to make animated gifs.

I'm happy for Case, I hope he gets a fair chance to prove himself.

speedfreek
04-28-2012, 09:11 PM
for those arm-strength types..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQo0DBRKVfE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL2C7B94CE4948419E

He throws 3 50+ in the air that hit the receiver in stride..

For those that don't follow UH football, UH-Rice is a rivalry with as much vitriol as Texans-Titans..

TJ

silentassassin
04-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Fellow Coog here. Excited for Keenum. Glad the guy is getting a shot, especially here at home.

ObsiWan
04-28-2012, 09:17 PM

I agree. We need to keep it really simple.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSV_OJYjeHag6QsbVoqByjNsnCgbu60 eDSXlOcQN4y0E9cpPY3KA

First of all, you guys are gruesome.

Second, and more importantly, you're wasting resources. Why miss the opportunity to send J.J. to the Titans. and V.Y. to the Jags.

I swear, you guys don't think these things through...
:wadepalm:

76Texan
04-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Someone needs to teach him how to make animated gifs.

I'm happy for Case, I hope he gets a fair chance to prove himself.

I need to know that.
I did also ask if anybody can walk me through as how to post videos on youtube without none of that copyright worrisome.

76Texan
04-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Like Corrosion said, and there are others who appreciate them as well, screen captures serve a different purpose than vids.

They can be great visual aids; I wouldn't bother posting them if there weren't demands for them.

CloakNNNdagger
04-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Case used the shotgun to his advantage (easier to see over the DL/OL). He will probably be asked to take snaps under center more often.

Rey
04-28-2012, 09:28 PM
for those arm-strength types..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQo0DBRKVfE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL2C7B94CE4948419E

He throws 3 50+ in the air that hit the receiver in stride..

For those that don't follow UH football, UH-Rice is a rivalry with as much vitriol as Texans-Titans..

TJ

I don't think Keenum has arm strength issues, but arm strength isn't as much about the long ball as it is about the short and intermediate balls.

Arm strength comes into play more when a guy can't fit balls into tight windows in short space. Not putting as much air under the ball. Being able to zing it...

Rey
04-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Case used the shotgun to his advantage (easier to see over the DL/OL). He will probably be asked to take snaps under center more often.

He's also going to have to get used to the rythm of this offense. He's going to have to slow himself down which might be a little difficult at first.

76Texan
04-28-2012, 09:32 PM
76!!!! We're going to find out what your boy is made of. Now that he's a Texan I hope that he proves me wrong.

Hey, I've been in Houston since 1976, hence the SN Texan 76.
The only other QB from UH that I really like was Danny Davis who led the Coogs to the championship in the old SWC (the conference that preceeded the Big 12) in his sophomore year.
Davis was hurt the next year against powerhouse Penn St. but he came back his Senior year to lead us to another SWC championship.
We ran the veer back then (the origin - kind of - of the option game in college football today).
Still, Davis managed to send a receiver and a TE to the NFL.

I never did think highly of Ware nor Klinger, and you know how high they were drafted. (I wanted to be happy for them, but...)

Kolb, I said he needs to get rid of the ball sooner (than he did in college) if he was going to be any good in the NFL.

I was never a homer.

The Texans will benefit from Keenum even if he only runs the scout team; I'll tell you the reasons why when I have some time.

TexansFanatic
04-28-2012, 09:43 PM
What I'm saying is that there has been not a single "measurable" presented that would prevent him from succeeding in the NFL.

I think there is. I believe Keenum's release is too show. While Brees may not have a strong arm by NFL standards, he does have a relatively quick release. Keenum doesn't. It's this critical difference that makes Brees an NFL star and Keenum a long-shot to make an NFL roster.

I don't want to belabor this issue with you because I share your sentiments and hope the rookie makes me eat my words. I just don't see it.

JamesBill
04-28-2012, 09:44 PM

I personally prefer combine/workout freaks who never produce.

utahmark
04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Show me a play where Shaub throws over 45 yards... I'll wait. WCO doesn't need some spread guy that can air it out 75 yards. We couldn't even use that. What WR do we even have with that kind of speedster ability?

Yall really need to quit regurgitating everything you read off of draft boards. Has never had a season less than 65% completion rate and his last two FULL seasons were both over 70%. Throws his receivers open, has football IQ, and will make it in the NFL.

Not sure what I'm regurgitating. I'm directed to a video of an 80 yard bomb that proves Case's arm strength and end up with something totally different that proves nothing. I'm happy we got him and hopes he makes the team.

gary
04-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Most of the time a career will go as far as a player wants it to go.

Brando
04-28-2012, 09:46 PM

Well said Hervoyel. I really like the signing. I'm a Cougars fan also so I was happy when I found out. I hope he makes it.

76Texan
04-28-2012, 10:01 PM
I think there is. I believe Keenum's release is too show. While Brees may not have a strong arm by NFL standards, he does have a relatively quick release. Keenum doesn't. It's this critical difference that makes Brees an NFL star and Keenum a long-shot to make an NFL roster.

I don't want to belabor this issue with you because I share your sentiments and hope the rookie makes me eat my words. I just don't see it.

TF, in one of the thread in the college or mock draft forum, I had refered to a game in which the analyst commented that Keenum has the quickest realease since Dan Marino.

Personally, I've also stated as much.
But it's not just the realease.

If you compare Weeden and Keenum for example, from the time the ball is snapped (they both played basically out of the shotgun last year) to the time the ball leaves the hand of the QB on each different throw (whether it's a quick out, a slant, a swing pass, a deep out, a post, a corner route, whatever), Keenum got the ball out of there a whole lot sooner than Weeden - and he was still more accurate.

Nawzer
04-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Doubt he makes it, but it's a nice story. No harm in giving him a shot.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 10:09 PM
I think Case Keenum's biggest problem is the stigma of being a QB from UH and putting up huge numbers. Everyone looks at him and sees Ware and Klingler and remember how badly their NFL careers turned out.

I've only got to see a few UH games on TV. And what I saw, I liked. I think he's a gutsy kid that never gives up. He had better velocity on his throws than I expected and better accuracy.

I fully expect one of two things to happen:

1) If Matt goes on PUP, I expect us to pick up another Veteran QB for the first part of the season. I expect TJ to be the starter, the Vet to be #2, and Case to be #3.

2) If Matt doesn't go on PUP, I expect us to go with TJ, Matt, and Case. TJ may start the first couple of games of the season until Matt's good to go.

Either way, I expect Case to end up as our #3.

Thorn
04-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Right now there are only three QBs going into camp, Yates, Keenum and Schaub if he's ready. I would think they'd want a 4th QB from somewhere.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Right now there are only three QBs going into camp, Yates, Keenum and Schaub if he's ready. I would think they'd want a 4th QB from somewhere.

I expect Delhomme or Garcia to come back. OR we grab a camp arm.

Maybe two because I've got a feeling Matt's not going to be throwing, yet.

Thorn
04-28-2012, 10:25 PM
I expect Delhomme or Garcia to come back. OR we grab a camp arm.

Maybe two because I've got a feeling Matt's not going to be throwing, yet.

I'm thinking Delhomme. He's still pretty useful as a trainer for the young QBs and can actually still play in an emergency. If Schaub is healthy, and that's still a big if, I hope they keep Keenum on team somehow. He's got terrific potential if he is given then time to learn and train. And under Kubiak and his staff, he'll get training thats about as good as it gets.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm thinking Delhomme. He's still pretty useful as a trainer for the young QBs and can actually still play in an emergency. If Schaub is healthy, and that's still a big if, I hope they keep Keenum on team somehow. He's got terrific potential if he is given then time to learn and train. And under Kubiak and his staff, he'll get training thats about as good as it gets.

While that's all true, Garcia's wife, the playboy bunny and playmate of the year 2004, is smoking hot and that has to be taken into consideration.

speedfreek
04-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Keenum has a quicker release than Tony Romo, the guy with supposedly the fastest release in the NFL.

ESPN did a thing showing Keenum's release side-by-side with Romo's in 2009 when the unranked cougars went to stillwater and beat the #5 OSU cowboys with keenum at the helm.

Everyone in the press that's been saying things about "arm strength", "wind up", "release", etc. simply haven't watched the guy enough to know..

TJ

gwallaia
04-28-2012, 10:53 PM
I just got home and Go Coogs! We got Case!!

It's really all about whether or not he's got it upstairs and if he's that kind of competitor. If he's got what it takes to do it mentally then he has the tools to make it happen.

Case's greatest asset is his intelligence and decision making. He most certainly has it upstairs. I have seen Case play in probably every game while he was at UH and he always impressed me with his quick decision making as the play unfolded.

speedfreek
04-28-2012, 10:56 PM
IMO opinion, Keenums greatest asset is his unbelievable ability to keep a play alive with his legs. The guy is almost unsackable if he can see what side the pressure is coming from.

He would be DEVASTATING in Kubiak's roll-out schemes as he can throw with great accuracy running out of the pocket.

TJ

Dutchrudder
04-28-2012, 10:59 PM
I need to know that.
I did also ask if anybody can walk me through as how to post videos on youtube without none of that copyright worrisome.

I don't consider myself very adept at it, but I could probably get you started in the right direction. Make a thread in the tech section and I'm sure plenty of people will give advice.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I am saying this right now, and trust me I am not a Cougar homer...

Case Keenum will be starting for the Texans in 3 years...

They will let him sit under Schaub and learn the offense and he will take the job from TJ Yates. Everything I have seen in him has Kubiak written all over him, EXCEPT for the height. Kubiak likes tall QBs but in Kubiaks system, Keenum can be very successful.....

ObsiWan
04-29-2012, 12:21 AM
While that's all true, Garcia's wife, the playboy bunny and playmate of the year 2004, is smoking hot and that has to be taken into consideration.
While I can't say I blames ya, you're focusing on the wrong attribute.
:)

EllisUnit
04-29-2012, 12:59 AM

cause he was running forward, didnt get to plant his foot and throw, he did that effortlessely !!! The boy can play, same critics were saying the same crap about Foster when he went undrafted, now look at him. And i dont mean people on here i mean the experts.

Speedy
04-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Just proves that some scouting report you read about a guy and actually watching the same guy play the game, are two totally seperate things.

Anyone who thinks Case has arm strength issues, is inaccurate, or has a slow release, hasn't seen the guy play more than a snap or two, if that much.

Anyway, disappointed he didn't get drafted, but happy he's a Texan.

CloakNNNdagger
04-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Kubiak said he came away impressed with Keenum after a private workout earlier this month.

“If other teams had seen him work out for us, he would have been drafted,” Kubiak said. “He was a sponge when I was telling him things. He picked them up right away.”
link (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/04/case-keenum-leads-list-of-area-players-going-to-the-nfl/)

ObsiWan
04-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Kubiak said he came away impressed with Keenum after a private workout earlier this month.

“If other teams had seen him work out for us, he would have been drafted,” Kubiak said. “He was a sponge when I was telling him things. He picked them up right away.”
link (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/04/case-keenum-leads-list-of-area-players-going-to-the-nfl/)

...and yet Kubiak, who did work him out, didn't spend a pick on him

...guess it all worked itself out in the end though

CloakNNNdagger
04-29-2012, 07:50 AM

Evidently, Kubiak felt that we had more need at other positions for one of our formal draft picks. Keenum was grabbed right after the draft was completed.

Lucky
04-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Everything I have seen in him has Kubiak written all over him...
Keenum probably reminds Kubiak of himself. Smart, good athlete, average arm. Kubiak didn't play in the wide open offense that Case ran. Other than that, very similar QBs.

I think Case Keenum's biggest problem is the stigma of being a QB from UH and putting up huge numbers.
Texas Tech ran a similar offense for years, their QBs put up tremendous numbers, but couldn't make NFL rosters. Keenum is going to be compared to those guys, as well. What the NFL teams are missing is Case's plus athleticism. He entered UH as a running QB and became a passer under Briles and Kingsbury. Keenum routinely made plays with his feet earlier in his career, and that will show more with the bootlegs and playaction in the Texans offense.

Arm strength comes into play more when a guy can't fit balls into tight windows in short space. Not putting as much air under the ball. Being able to zing it...
It's also about timing, which Keenum had with his UH receivers and didn't at the combine. If you don't have timing, you better have a rocket arm. Which is why a dud QB like Jordan Jefferson looked good at the combine.

They can be great visual aids; I wouldn't bother posting them if there weren't demands for them.
Relax, I'm just having a little fun with ya.

Lucky
04-29-2012, 07:58 AM

You have to know the draft and understand where a guy can be drafted (or signed later). Could be that Smithiak are becoming more expert in this area?

EllisUnit
04-29-2012, 08:21 AM
who cares if he went undrafted, i hope and pray we become the kings of getting undrafted players who become Hall of Famers, means we save lots of money not having to pay big 1st round bucks, look smart, have plenty to choose from :)

You dont have to be drafted to be a good players, funny that over half the guys drafted every first round become busts, and 3/4 in the draft total become are busts.

drunkcookie
04-29-2012, 08:41 AM
"system quarterback...didn't have to go against SEC defenses.."

A lot of excuses for why not to draft the guy, but his arm is there...

eriadoc
04-29-2012, 08:44 AM
If he's a system QB, it's worth noting that he played in the same system as RG3.

nero THE zero
04-29-2012, 08:58 AM
IMO opinion, Keenums greatest asset is his unbelievable ability to keep a play alive with his legs. The guy is almost unsackable if he can see what side the pressure is coming from.

He would be DEVASTATING in Kubiak's roll-out schemes as he can throw with great accuracy running out of the pocket.

TJ

First, let me join in the excitement of my fellow Coogs. I am elated that Case and the Texans managed to hook-up.

Second, I agree, Speedfreek. That elusiveness and pocket presence is what will be his greatest asset to the Texans. He should be great competition for Yates as the back-up and who knows what the future holds.

Lucky
04-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Keenum did face two SEC teams, defeating Mississippi State on the road in 2009 and nearly rallying the Coogs to a win (after being down 23-0) in Tuscaloosa as a freshman, way back in 2007.

ArTex
04-29-2012, 09:12 AM

A lot of excuses for why not to draft the guy, but his arm is there...

All those highly coveted Big 10 players selected in Texans draft

Keenum dominated ranked Big 10 school Penn State in an actual bowl game

Keenum/CUSA >> Big 10 (not necessarily, but...)

A bit of irony that Keenum beat the conference Texans coveted most. And Whitney Mercilus and Devier Posey didnt go against any SEC or Big 12 schools (last year at least)

NFL is hardcore, but I don't see Texans pissing off the fan base cutting Keenum preseason. A conservative outlook is he gets a complimentary practice squad signing for at least a few weeks. Some "Alex Brink" treatment.

drunkcookie
04-29-2012, 09:23 AM

TJ

Yah, i have to agree with him keeping plays alive with his feet... His junior year playing at Baylor he did it a couple of times...led to a game winning FG as time expired... Of course it was the 2004 class 3A state championship game in Waco, and it was my guys he beat...i hate you Keenum!

GP
04-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Just now seeing this.

We need more QBs, so this was a win-win for us. He's a UDFA and a local guy who ain't scared to throw the ball.

I like it. Cherry on top, as someone else said. Now we need a RB off UDFA too.

Nawzer
04-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Just saw this headline on the front page of Chron.com. Well done to the chimps who work for the Chronicle! :bravo:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/Nawzer/ChronHeadline.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
04-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Just saw this headline on the front page of Chron.com. Well done to the chimps who work for the Chronicle! :bravo:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/Nawzer/ChronHeadline.jpg

That is actually the correct use of the past future precipitate tense!:)

thunderkyss
04-29-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't think Keenum has arm strength issues, but arm strength isn't as much about the long ball as it is about the short and intermediate balls.

^^This^^

& arm strength is what saves a QB when he can't set up perfectly to throw the ball, or get proper follow through.. which is actually a high percentage of throws for most QBs.

thunderkyss
04-29-2012, 10:49 AM
If you compare Weeden and Keenum for example, from the time the ball is snapped (they both played basically out of the shotgun last year) to the time the ball leaves the hand of the QB on each different throw (whether it's a quick out, a slant, a swing pass, a deep out, a post, a corner route, whatever), Keenum got the ball out of there a whole lot sooner than Weeden - and he was still more accurate.

This is more about going through a progression & rhythm than release. When most people talk about release, the time starts from the motion to get the ball to the ready position to the time it is out of his hands.

A QB that holds the ball low... around chest level has to get the ball back behind his ear, then go through his forward motion. That takes time. A QB that holds the ball near his head should take less time.

Even if you have two QBs who hold the ball near the same position, one is naturally going to be faster than the other.

Then you have those guys with the big baseball wind-up...

Nawzer
04-29-2012, 10:53 AM
That is actually the correct use of the past future precipitate tense!:)

I hope the Texans will win a few Super Bowls between now and the couple of million years it'll take for him to turn into a star.

thunderkyss
04-29-2012, 10:53 AM
I think Case Keenum's biggest problem is the stigma of being a QB from UH and putting up huge numbers. Everyone looks at him and sees Ware and Klingler and remember how badly their NFL careers turned out.

It's not just the UH thing, it's the "system QB" thing.

I personally don't mind, it means that he knows how to make the most out of the system, that he truly understood what was going on.

He's going to be put in a system here in Houston that may be a bit different, but it's very QB friendly. If he can internalize the system like he did in UH, then we may have hit gold.

Brees makes the most of his system. He's got all the tools & he's a damn good athlete, but he'd be a second tier guy without that system.

Thorn
04-29-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm glad we got him. We had to get a QB from the refuse of the UDFA's anyway, might as well be him.

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Now we need a RB off UDFA too.

Davin Megget, RB. Dave Megget's son.

Dwight Jones, WR. A head-case BUT T.J. Yates' security blanket in college and a guy with 2nd round talent.

There are a couple of our other UDFAs.

forcefollow
04-29-2012, 04:31 PM
I was fortunate to see Case in action last season. I am a huge fan of this guy. I am really pulling for him to make the team and get a chance to prove himself. To me he is a champion for the ages, I am proud to say that I got to see him play. He is one of the top story lines that I will be following this season.

texanhead08
04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I have never seen a QB improve as much as Keenum did in his college career. He had a pretty serious shoulder injury in high school and he has worked extremly hard on improving his arm since then. If you look at film from 2008 and 2011 you will see how much better his arm has gotten. Does he have the arm that RGIII or Luck have no he doesn't ,but he did a good job this year of getting the ball downfield and hitting his WR's in stride.

Texaninlild
04-29-2012, 05:35 PM
We saw this coming. Just think if we can turn into draft picks in the future.

Nawzer
04-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Case Keenum on Jon Gruden's QB camp. I haven't finished watching it, but should be good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idM2PMsJL74

Enjoy!

EllisUnit
04-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Good Video, looking at all the film they watched i am even more impressed with Case than i was before !!!

drs23
04-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Case Keenum on Jon Gruden's QB camp. I haven't finished watching it, but should be good!

Enjoy!

Cool video. Thanks!

GP
04-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Davin Megget, RB. Dave Megget's son.

Dwight Jones, WR. A head-case BUT T.J. Yates' security blanket in college and a guy with 2nd round talent.

There are a couple of our other UDFAs.

Isn't it cool to see second-generation NFL guys recently?

Jake Long.

Kellen Winslow, Jr.

Nick Toon.

The Manning brothers.

Davin Megget.

I'm sure I am forgetting some names, too. But it's just so freaking cool to see the kids of the guys I remember from watching when I was a young kid. It's like having Boomerang cartoon channel...getting to flash back to my youth.

I love it. Can't wait to see if the little Megget has the genes to do well with us.

CloakNNNdagger
04-29-2012, 09:30 PM

Enjoy!

Great video. MSR

Lucky
04-29-2012, 09:37 PM
GP, I think you meant Chris Long (Ram DE and son of Howie). Jake is the LT for Miami.

GP
04-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Great video. MSR

The throw he makes at the 7:09 mark of that video was freakishly awesome. If nobody has seen that play, go to that video and watch it at the 7:09 mark.

I mean, Keenum is the balls when it comes to improvising on a busted play. That's not teachable. He just knows how to do it. Go watch it. Now.

beerlover
04-29-2012, 09:46 PM

Enjoy!

Gruden QB camp to me is about the best reality show out there :)

thought I saw Dontari Poe breaking up the middle with his patented swim move in one of those clips

GP
04-29-2012, 09:51 PM
If TJ can't do it, Next Man Up.

I like what I see. I like the quiet confidence he has, the ability to stand in the face of a blitz and make the right coverage read and get the ball to the place it has to be for the WR. He's making all sorts of calculations and reads and adjustments in a fraction of time.

This guy sticks with the Texans. I still think TJ starts the season and I even think Keenum does enough in camp and preseason to be QB2. No Practice Squad because he'll be active as QB2 at start of the season.

Kubiak has the balls to do it, too. Almost like taunting the opponents: "Yeah, that's right. I'll start TJ and I'll throw Kennum into the fire too. And you can't touch it. You can aspire to touch it, but you won't touch it."

Dadgum I'm ready for football.

Fili
04-29-2012, 09:54 PM

Dayyyyyum! His throw on the run in Madden 13 is going to be RIDICULOUS!!!

GP
04-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Gruden QB camp to me is about the best reality show out there :)

thought I saw Dontari Poe breaking up the middle with his patented swim move in one of those clips

I liked the Keenum camp stuff until Gruden starts the wet football part. It got seriously lame at that point.

In fact, this is my first time to see the full video...previously all I had seen was the wet football clip. So I'm glad I clicked on the video link and saw the BETTER stuff I hadn't seen yet.

The goal line throw where the defender shoots through the A gap and Keenum places the ball to the back corner of the end zone and makes it look so freaking easy...THAT is the stuff of NFL QBs.

"Yeah, I knew what coverage I had and I already knew where I wanted to go with the ball before the snap." I mean, geez, the kid saw what was going to happen and he shoved it right up their nose and made them like it.

This is the offense for a guy like Keenum. And he played right here in Houston, so it won't be a big deal for him on game day. He's used to it, he knows it.

Thorn
04-30-2012, 05:25 AM
It's far to early to see if we hit another home run in the UDFA derby yet, but I'm liking this guy. :)

ObsiWan
04-30-2012, 05:39 AM
This guy sticks with the Texans. I still think TJ starts the season and I even think Keenum does enough in camp and preseason to be QB2. No Practice Squad because he'll be active as QB2 at start of the season.

You need to stop smoking that wacky weed.
:D

Thorn
04-30-2012, 05:41 AM

But it's good for your eyes and keeps pizza delivery services in business. :)

GuerillaBlack
04-30-2012, 06:41 AM
I liked the Keenum camp stuff until Gruden starts the wet football part. It got seriously lame at that point.

In fact, this is my first time to see the full video...previously all I had seen was the wet football clip. So I'm glad I clicked on the video link and saw the BETTER stuff I hadn't seen yet.

The goal line throw where the defender shoots through the A gap and Keenum places the ball to the back corner of the end zone and makes it look so freaking easy...THAT is the stuff of NFL QBs.

"Yeah, I knew what coverage I had and I already knew where I wanted to go with the ball before the snap." I mean, geez, the kid saw what was going to happen and he shoved it right up their nose and made them like it.

This is the offense for a guy like Keenum. And he played right here in Houston, so it won't be a big deal for him on game day. He's used to it, he knows it.

Anyone who watched UH games saw all of this. I didn't know why people were saying he couldn't play at this level. He is Drew Brees. Short, accurate, and great in the right system. Keenum is also tough. Seen him throw many balls and get slammed right after.

aussie_texan
04-30-2012, 06:58 AM
Anyone who watched UH games saw all of this. I didn't know why people were saying he couldn't play at this level. He is Drew Brees. Short, accurate, and great in the right system. Keenum is also tough. Seen him throw many balls and get slammed right after.

the main negative on him is his measurables i.e. his lack of arm strength and his height

speedfreek
04-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Keenum is more mobile than Yates and can throw the ball with more velocity.

The only advantage TJ & Schaub have over him is height and experience.

The potential is there, if he can take advantage of the opportunity.

TJ

GP
04-30-2012, 09:21 AM

Drew Brees was also in a spread offense and out of shotgun at Purdue.

The thing about spread QBs is they either have inherent passing skills and fit in any system...or they're system-specific and unable to adapt.

Brees is the latter. I think Keenum is as well. Keenum also had spotty pass pro too, think of he gets time to actually go through progressions. He could be awesome here.

drs23
04-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Or at the very least, puff, puff, pass. :shades:

76Texan
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
This is more about going through a progression & rhythm than release. When most people talk about release, the time starts from the motion to get the ball to the ready position to the time it is out of his hands.

A QB that holds the ball low... around chest level has to get the ball back behind his ear, then go through his forward motion. That takes time. A QB that holds the ball near his head should take less time.

Even if you have two QBs who hold the ball near the same position, one is naturally going to be faster than the other.

Then you have those guys with the big baseball wind-up...

TK, you missed the part where I said "It's not just the release".

76Texan
04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Here's a link to the posts where I discussed Case Keenum:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89651

76Texan
04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
In another thread, I compared Keenum with Weeden:

Before I respond to your post, Dutch, let's take a quick look at the Iowa St. game (vs. Okl. St.)
I haven't watched it before so I decided to watch it two nights ago.

Weeden was one of the main reasons for the loss, if not the biggest.

Weeden were 42-58 for 476 yards, 3 TDs and 3 INTs.

There were 20 pass thrown behind or at the LOS (swing passes, screen passes, shovel passes, etc...)
These types passes contribute in a major way in the spread offense, especially for Weeden (as opposed to Cousins and Wilson who ran versions of pro-style offense at Mich. St. and Wisconsin, respectively.)
The vast majority of them are completions, except for a rare drop by a receiver or RB.

Then there were quick outs, quick slants, check downs - passes that are 7 yards or shorter when the defenders played off the LOS.

Take these out of the equation, and his completion percentage is easily under 50%... and that's with Weeden having a lot more time than Cousins or Wilson or Keenum.

Both Wilson and Keenum were much more accurate than that, and Cousins was also quite better than Weeden. All 3 faced much more pressures than Weeden.

Both Weeden and Keenum ran the spread offense.
On the average, Keenum's passes left his hand at least a full second sooner than Weeden. That is a long long time.

With Weeden, there were a good amount of balls in the dirt or way off the mark for no reason at all.
Or Weeden would stare down a receiver leading to batted balls at the LOS or INTs.

76Texan
04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
The same goes with the Tulsa game. Weeden is what, 28-yr old? Shouldn't he be the one player that can be ready on the field for that game? Or was he too old and needed his sleep?
This is a defense that gave up 456 yards to Keenum and the Cougars (5 TDs, no INT as opposed to 2 INTs by Weeden). There were some more completions and a TD by the reserved QB.

Both teams ran a spread offense (OSU and UH).

Tulsa didn't have their starting QB Kine against Okl St.
Weeden benefited from a return TD, two forced fumbles by the D, four INTs by the D, and a lot of good field positions.
He hardly saw any pressure, and yet missed wide open receivers and threw those two bad INTs.

Keenum received 2 INTs from the D (Weeden stil got a plus four advantage in turnover plus the return TD).
Keenum faced a ton of pressure and made an awful lot of plays under duress.
He didn't throw any inaccurate pass.

Here's the break down of Keenum's incompletions:

- 7 incompletions due to direct pressure (within 1-1/2 to 2 secs). All passes were still close to intended targets.
- One pass too "hot" for a receiver to handle.
- One drop.
- One QB scramble and throw away due to quick pressure.
- Another throw away due to quick pressure.
- Another incompletion was due to the failure to make adjustment by a receiver on a blitz (he stopped and Keenum got ready to throw to him, but he took off downfield even though he can see that the blitz was getting to Keenum).

And he was sacked twice due to very quick pressure.

Keenum completed several passes under pressure.
With 1:31 to go in the third, leading 20-16, this was what the analyst had to say about Keenum:
"He had to thow quickly because he's got a lot of quick pressures.
But he made a lot of good plays too.
Keenum did a great job finding where the pressure is coming from, and that was the big key.
The question now is will he have enough time to look down the field or will he (continue to) have to get the ball out of his hands quickly."

Keenum overcame all the pressures to make one play after another.
With Keenum, it doesn't matter if it was 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15, 3rd and 22, third and 25 or fourth and 15. He's dangerous just the same; the same thing can never be said about Weeden. Third and long and most usually you will see a punt, or an occasional INT.

The difference was night and day when you watch these two guys played against that common opponent (Tulsa).

What more do I want from Weeden?
I think you can find the answer from the above.

Dutchrudder
04-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Really? Back to Weeden vs Keenum? I think you are really obsessed with this kid, and not in a good way. Of course there are going to be a lot of short passes in that offense, Tannehill had a lot of short passes too. It's just the design of the system. The difference is that Weeden has a cannon for an arm and Keenum doesn't.

I don't really have the time nor the inclination to go back and watch entire games, but here are some stats on Tannehill and Weeden from an ESPN article. I think it's an interesting breakdown of their passing. By the way 82/144 is 57% on passes of 11+ yards, and that's without his best game of the year.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Charts%20and%20Graphs/TannWeedenstats.jpg

speedfreek
04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Weeden has NO SHOT of succeeding as an NFL QB.

The guy is a complete statue in the pocket. He will
take some brutal hits and have a shortened career
because of it.

Having a "cannon" doesn't buy you anything if you
have no touch. (if that's the case, JaMarcus Russell
would still be in the league)

TJ

speedfreek
04-30-2012, 02:42 PM
How did Tannehill get into this conversation?

I've watched as many A&M games as UH games and can tell you, fairly confidently, that he will get Sherm fired a second time.

The guy simply has no pocket awareness at all.

And the passage for "choke" in Merriam Webster will be re-written
to include his photo.

TJ

Goldensilence
04-30-2012, 05:25 PM
After seeing the QB camp with Gruden...how can you not come away impressed with the guy? I know I didn't see him play every week like some people here, but from the small snippets I got, the kid can play.

I think my favorite thing he said was answering Gruden about the number of hits he took at UH and if people can question if he can stand up to the rigors of the NFL. It was something to the effect of "I'm a quarterback, it's who I am and what I do. Yeah, I took some hits, but at the end of the day I'd rather go up against guys going all out and trying then guys who aren't"

That's REAL Moxy.

Count me as a new member of the Keenum fan club. I really hope this guy can stick to the roster or hopefully at least the PS because I do think he can make it at this level.

GP
04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
After seeing the QB camp with Gruden...how can you not come away impressed with the guy? I know I didn't see him play every week like some people here, but from the small snippets I got, the kid can play.

I think my favorite thing he said was answering Gruden about the number of hits he took at UH and if people can question if he can stand up to the rigors of the NFL. It was something to the effect of "I'm a quarterback, it's who I am and what I do. Yeah, I took some hits, but at the end of the day I'd rather go up against guys going all out and trying then guys who aren't"

That's REAL Moxy.

Count me as a new member of the Keenum fan club. I really hope this guy can stick to the roster or hopefully at least the PS because I do think he can make it at this level.

Go back and watch his throwing motion, then watch the TJ Yates throwing motion and compare the two.

To me, and I'm no QB coach or anything, but Keenum stands tall and throws OVER whereas it looks like TJ sidearms or drops his elbow and slings the ball a bit. Curious to see if I saw what I saw or was imagining it. Would like your feedback.

Nawzer
04-30-2012, 05:42 PM
It's going to be amazing to see how he does when he has some protection for a change! I still think he's a long shot, but anything can happen.

Goldensilence
04-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Go back and watch his throwing motion, then watch the TJ Yates throwing motion and compare the two.

To me, and I'm no QB coach or anything, but Keenum stands tall and throws OVER whereas it looks like TJ sidearms or drops his elbow and slings the ball a bit. Curious to see if I saw what I saw or was imagining it. Would like your feedback.

About to head off to work, but one thing that did catch mine and Gruden's eyes was that he'll use whatever motion to get the ball out and he did so repeatedly over his career at UH under the gun. I loved the fact that on a lot of his highlight clips it was Case standing in the pocket knowing a hit was coming and hits the receiver still.

Interesting note.. ESPN has Keenum listed at 6'2" and 210....That's not too far off Brees or Rodgers size....not saying he's going to turn into either...but a knock has been his size....and two others guys play around the same size that haven't been hampered too much. Just sayin..

speedfreek
04-30-2012, 06:22 PM
In my opinion, the only thing that can hold Keenum back is if he has a hard time adjusting to the speed of the game.

I think the vast majority of people on here are thinking about this in entirely the wrong way.

We, as Texans fans, don't need Keenum to be better than Manning, Brees, or Rodgers (or RGIII or Luck for that matter).

We just need him to be better than Schaub and Yates.

Why? Because this team almost made it to the AFC championship game, and if we had a QB that can make the throws and:

1) not take sacks/injuries (IE: Schaub)
2) not turn the ball over in big situations (IE: Yates)

The Texans take that next step and possibly win a championship.

Case is exactly the type of person we need -- not brittle, good decision maker, and careful with the ball.

If he can translate those skills to the pros we're in for a great ride.

If not, then at least a local kid got his shot..

TJ

Thorn
04-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Case is exactly the type of person we need -- not brittle, good decision maker, and careful with the ball.

If he can translate those skills to the pros we're in for a great ride.

If not, then at least a local kid got his shot..

TJ

Born in Abilene, played HS football there, then starred at the UH. If he's someday the starter what a story that would be. :)

speedfreek
04-30-2012, 07:24 PM
like Clyde and Hakeem with the 95 Rockets or
Andy and Roger with the 05 Astros.

If Case succeeds, combined with locals Gary and Wade,
Luv-ya-blue could make a serious comeback..

TJ

Born in Abilene, played HS football there, then starred at the UH. If he's someday the starter what a story that would be. :)

ThaJokaa
04-30-2012, 11:27 PM
the main negative on him is his measurables i.e. his lack of arm strength and his height

wtf?! are you serious?! Keenum can sling it out there

aussie_texan
05-01-2012, 09:43 AM

I'm just saying what's reported I haven't seen him play enough to judge. Just some YouTube vids

Texan_Bill
05-01-2012, 12:32 PM

While I completely agree with you, he got a that knock (lack arm strength) from his Pro-Day. He had problems making certain throws, IIRC. So someone that has never really watched him play, up close and personal can only recite what they read somewhere or heard from a talking head.

TdotTexas2Step
05-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Like others, I'm pretty excited that we've got a local guy with a chance to be a quarterback on the team - that's a pretty rare thing in the NFL.

But it might save us some heartbreak later if we reel in expectations. Drew Brees' name is being thrown around a lot in here, but that's an unfair and lofty comparison to place on Keenum. Brees was drafted in the 2nd round, Keenum went undrafted, let's have him develop his skills and career his own way regardless of any similarities.

Also, it's a tad ironic that we often throw around the "Wade knows more about football then you" line suggesting that those with an official decision making position in the NFL automatically knows more, and thus any sort of conflicting view a fan may have doesn't hold merit. Yet, when every single franchise decides to pass on a quarterback through seven rounds of a draft, suddenly our opinion of a player holds incredible value.

I hope Keenum makes the team, but let's take it slow with this guy.

Goldensilence
05-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Like others, I'm pretty excited that we've got a local guy with a chance to be a quarterback on the team - that's a pretty rare thing in the NFL.

But it might save us some heartbreak later if we reel in expectations. Drew Brees' name is being thrown around a lot in here, but that's an unfair and lofty comparison to place on Keenum. Brees was drafted in the 2nd round, Keenum went undrafted, let's have him develop his skills and career his own way regardless of any similarities.

Also, it's a tad ironic that we often throw around the "Wade knows more about football then you" line suggesting that those with an official decision making position in the NFL automatically knows more, and thus any sort of conflicting view a fan may have doesn't hold merit. Yet, when every single franchise decides to pass on a quarterback through seven rounds of a draft, suddenly our opinion of a player holds incredible value.

I hope Keenum makes the team, but let's take it slow with this guy.

Drew Brees name isn't being thrown around in regards to a comparison to play, much as when someone throws around the lack of size in a starting NFL QB he's the first player that comes to mind when someone says X is too small to play QB.

Truth is if Keenum is around what ESPN lists at 6'2" and 210 that's around the same size as a lot of starters in the NFL at QB including MVP Aaron Rodgers. I do think Keenum could add some muscle and not affect his game.

As for why he wasn't drafted by the Texans....it's likely that the FO took a calculated risk in assuming he would go undrafted and they'd be the first to get him on the phone after. It was a good call and might be a sign that Rick and Co. are finally having things clicking upstairs when it comes to the draft. I can only hope that this coming season things click as well for Kubiak when it comes to overall game management.

CloakNNNdagger
05-01-2012, 03:37 PM

That's something I mentioned last year.......an eerie flash back to the days of D.............nope, ain't gonna go there!:kitten:

badboy
05-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Instead of arguing how far he can throw, I focus on accuracy,TDs to INTs and completion

Dutchrudder
05-01-2012, 03:45 PM
For the record, Keenum was listed as 6'1 208 at the NFL combine:

http://m.nfl.com/combine/profile/2532888/case-keenum/

CloakNNNdagger
05-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Instead of arguing how far he can throw, I focus on accuracy,TDs to INTs and completion

Using these parameters, he is indisputably a runaway from the present crowd. Now, to see if he can replicate in the NFL........I believe he can......especially on a team with a scheme like the Texans.

ThaJokaa
05-02-2012, 11:49 PM

In college they were all great... But a weak conference

GuerillaBlack
05-03-2012, 06:08 AM

But no offensive line and its not like Keenum didn't go up against better competition and big schools. His entire body of work is impressive. He just needs to adjust to the speed. If he does that well, he is better than Schaub/Yates (better arm, accuracy, mobility, etc.).

cuppacoffee
05-03-2012, 08:35 AM

That's REAL Moxy.

Was this when Gruden then chimed in " If you were my quarterback I'd fine you for taking that hit on your shoulder"?

:coffee:

ckhouston
05-03-2012, 08:40 AM

Arm strength isnt all about how "far" you can throw. Can you throw a 15 yard out pattern on a rope?

That is more what teams want to see. Lofting up a 70 yard bomb doesnt work 90% of the time.

Goldensilence
05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Was this when Gruden then chimed in " If you were my quarterback I'd fine you for taking that hit on your shoulder"?

:coffee:

Yeah, that was right before the quote. You're so on the ball. :fingergun:

Texan_Bill
05-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Signed,

Steve McNair. Alcorn State - SWAC

gwallaia
05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Signed,

Steve McNair. Alcorn State - SWAC

CO-signed,

Brett Farve - Southern Miss.

speedfreek
05-03-2012, 09:09 AM
I believe Keenum has more wins over ranked competition than Tannehill. (SEC opponents as well).

And Ryan went inside the top 10.

Conference arguements are generally fairly week at the NFL level.

TJ

CloakNNNdagger
05-03-2012, 09:48 AM

Another couple of not so bad QBs:

Kurt Warner - Northern Iowa

Rich Gannon - Delaware

Jake Delhomme - Louisianna-Lafayette

Tony Romo - Eastern Illinois

Phil Simms - Morehead State

Doug Williams - Grambling State

2012Champs
05-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Using these parameters, he is indisputably a runaway from the present crowd. Now, to see if he can replicate in the NFL........I believe he can......especially on a team with a scheme like the Texans.

Im pretty sure when using those parameters its in the context of NFL play so he cant be a runaway from the crowd right now

CloakNNNdagger
05-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Another I left out:

Ben Roethlisberger-Miami of Ohio

Thorn
05-03-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm just glad we have him. The guy has a TON of potential and as a UDFA no downside. I'm pretty sure he sticks to the team unless he just royally screws up in camp and pre-season. Which I don't think he will.

76Texan
05-03-2012, 10:34 AM
The knock about the competition level is unfounded.
Keenum played well against every major program he faced.

As a FR in 07:
- He allowed the Coogs to be competitive against Oregon, playing in a platoon system with Blake Joseph. Had Keenum played the whole game, the Coogs had a fighting chance; on the road no less.
- He came in with the Coogs down by 17 against Alabama and almost pulled out a last minute upset, again, on the opponents' field. You asked Bama fans and they would tell you how nervous they were in the second half of that game.
- He threw for 335 yards and no INT against TCU under heavy pressure.

In 08:
- He threw for 387 yards, 4 TDs, no INT against Okl st. in Stillwater

In 09:
- He led the Coogs to a victory over highly ranked Okl. St. - again, in Stillwater. throwing for 366 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT. He also ran for a TD.
- He pulled out a win over Miss St (SEC), on the road, throwing for 434 yards, 4 TDs, and 2 INTs

This year:
- He dismantled UCLA with 310 yards and 2 TDs, no INT - under heavy pressure as usual (unlike Luck who faced pretty much no pressure against the same opponent).
- He shredded Penn St to pieces with 532 yards and 3 TDs.

Keenum performed well under pressure and in front of big, hostile crowds.
You have no worry about his mental make-up.

Wolf
05-03-2012, 10:44 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UB-VP3jUZzM/Ti832y9UScI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/jCdD6dkSocI/s1600/jedi_koolaid_WEB.jpg

The kool aid is strong in this thread

:joker:

SheTexan
05-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Another I left out:

Isn't that where our recent draft pic, Brandon Brooks, came from? (to lazy to look it up.) I've never heard of this school. I thought they had made a mistake!:spin:

CloakNNNdagger
05-03-2012, 11:25 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UB-VP3jUZzM/Ti832y9UScI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/jCdD6dkSocI/s1600/jedi_koolaid_WEB.jpg

The kool aid is strong in this thread

:joker:

You can test yourself as to if you are drinking too much of the Koolaid.

The acid fast test is if you have drunk 6 litres or more of the Purplesaurus Rex Koolaid, your stools will no longer be recognizeable. They will be bright green..........and then you know that you you better back off.:kitten:

The Pencil Neck
05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Isn't that where our recent draft pic, Brandon Brooks, came from? (to lazy to look it up.) I've never heard of this school. I thought they had made a mistake!:spin:

Yep. Miami (Ohio) is actually a school with a rich football tradition. It's known as the Cradle of Coaches - Paul Brown, Sid Gillman, Weeb Ewbank, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton. All of those guys came through Miami of Ohio one way or another.

Texan_Bill
05-03-2012, 11:58 AM
CO-signed,

Brett Farve - Southern Miss.

Wait, what? Is that the same Southern Miss that's in the same "weak" conference as the Coogs??

:fingergun:

TdotTexas2Step
05-03-2012, 03:20 PM
There's a lot of reasons in this thread by posters explaining why Kennum:

1) Has all the potential to be great
2) Wil be a starter for the Texans one day
3) supposed weaknesses are unfounded

But as someone who hasn't seen a single UH game - not out of choice, I live in Toronto - can someone please describe a fair assessment of weaknesses Keenum has?

I've seen some people saying the lack of arm strength isn't true because he can sling it (and I've seen some Youtube videos of him throwing it impressively, which aren't exactly scout quality, but still). And then of course there's the "lack of competition" argument that people have been fairly debunking.

So what is then that could be considered a weakness? I guess, what did NFL scouts, GMs, even Texans fans who may not be the biggest of believers see that convinced everyone to pass on Keenum through 7 rounds?

eriadoc
05-03-2012, 03:43 PM

But as someone who hasn't seen a single UH game - not out of choice, I live in Toronto - can someone please describe a fair assessment of weaknesses Keenum has?

I've seen some people saying the lack of arm strength isn't true because he can sling it (and I've seen some Youtube videos of him throwing it impressively, which aren't exactly scout quality, but still). And then of course there's the "lack of competition" argument that people have been fairly debunking.

So what is then that could be considered a weakness? I guess, what did NFL scouts, GMs, even Texans fans who may not be the biggest of believers see that convinced everyone to pass on Keenum through 7 rounds?

He stunk it up at the combine. He says he was injured, and he did perform more to form at his Pro Day much later, as well as in private workouts. Kubiak referenced the private workout they held with him as something that impressed him. At the end of the day, he stunk it up and that's on him. Whatever else he had working against him, he made it worse.

The rest of the stuff is really preconceived, overblown crap. His height is the only issue anyone can point to, I guess, but even that is not a big deal. He measured in at 6'1" at the combine. If that's all it takes for your scouts to overlook a guy, then you probably ought to fire your scouts. As for arm strength - hey, he's not JaMarcus Russell. But on the plus side of things, he's not JaMarcus Russell, LOL. His arm strength is better than Matt Schaub's and TJ Yates. Might be pretty close on TJ Yates, to be honest. As for system, he ran his system to perfection, and coincidentally, it's the exact same system that RG3 ran. Keenum ran it better against similar competition. So he can get the job done. He has lateral mobility, he has smarts, he has guts, and he has poise.

There may be reasons why he won't succeed in the NFL, as with any QB. But the total crap they've spewed out about him so far all serves the preconceived notions out there about UH QBs at the pro level, short QBs, and conference competition. The biggest obstacle he faces at this point is opportunity. First round draft picks are given every opportunity to succeed. They can screw up year after year after year and still keep their job (Alex Smith, anyone?) or at least remain in the league as a backup (Carr). UDFAs aren't given anywhere near that kind of opportunity. So he has to avoid injuries (like anyone has control over that) and take full advantage of the limited opportunity he gets here.

Rey
05-03-2012, 03:44 PM

It's hard to point out a whole lot of weaknesses since he was beasting against college competition and he was really good in the offense he ran. It'll be easier to point out weaknesses once he starts going against NFL competition.

There's a bunch of scouting profiles out there that point out some weaknesses that people think he might have...

I think his age could be considered a bit of a weakness, but really not much of one. His knee problems could be considered a bit of a concern. I guess he is kind of short...

As far as his game goes I think he may have to slow his clock down some and get used to the pace of Kubiaks offense. Taking snaps from under center, turning his back to the defense for a second or two to perform a play fake and then being able to hit the open guy.

I don't really know though. We have a QB friendly system and a good running game...and Keenum has a good head on his shoulders...

I really expect him to do well...

CloakNNNdagger
05-03-2012, 03:51 PM

The difference between
a flower and a weed
is a judgement.

~ Author Unknown ~

I believe that a lot of scouts are haunted by the ghosts of David Klingler and Andre Ware and the label of U of H "system" QB. The problem was that these two were actually placed in NFL systems which were at the time not going to succeed no matter who was thrown in.

Keenum's talents would be enhanced by Kubiak's tutilage and the Texans' system......weaknesses, whatever perceived now, likely faded far into the background for the same reasons.

Mr. White
05-03-2012, 03:58 PM
I believe that a lot of scouts are haunted by the ghosts of David Klingler and Andre Ware and the label of U of H "system" QB. The problem was that these two were actually placed in NFL systems which were at the time not going to succeed no matter who was thrown in.

Don't forget Kevin Kolb. Hate to say it, but he just hasn't lived up to expectations.

Thorn
05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Don't forget Kevin Kolb. Hate to say it, but he just hasn't lived up to expectations.

U of H definitely has a rep of producing great college QBs that don't work out on the pro level. Maybe Keenum will break that trend.

mokalus
05-03-2012, 04:52 PM

IMO the Kevin Kolb comparisons begin and end with the school -- that's all. I was not impressed at all with Kolb and am still wondering how he got such a huge contract in Arizona, but I like Case Keenum.

I'm a Longhorn born and bred in Houston, so I've kept up somewhat with UH football over the past decade. The "lack of competition" argument is a fair one, but when you actually watch Case run the offense, it is obvious that he knows how to play the game and, given the right system, could flourish at any level. I've wondered for years whether he might be a perfect fit for the Texans offense with Kubiak at the helm, so it's interesting to see him get signed.

I've met the guy, and he is as down-to-earth and humble as you can find. Welcome to the team, Case, but I hope you don't see any playing time this year.

http://www.gymclassallstars.com/2012/05/that-time-i-met-case-keenum.html

The Pencil Neck
05-03-2012, 05:09 PM
I've said it before, there's a stigma being a QB coming from UH after Ware and Klingler and as someone else said, Kolb hasn't really lived up to his potential yet, either.

Keenum didn't have a great combine. He's not tall and people don't think he's got the frame to put on much more muscle, so they expect him to be injury prone. QBs that have led the NCAA in passing yardage have a history of failing at the pros: Bryant Moniz, Graham Harrell, Colt Brennan, Sonny Cumbie, BJ Symons...

Keenum is smart. He's tough. He's a good football player. I think he's going to do well. I don't know if he's going to live up to everyone's expectations in this thread, but I expect him to do better than the nation in general thinks he will.

TEXANRED
05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
I get a feeling that Keenum is going to turn into our Tony Romo.

TexanBacker93
05-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Another I left out:

Joe Flacco - Delaware (not at the same level as those others, imo)

If you want to go back into history -

Ken Anderson is one of only 2 players from Augustana to play in the NFL.
Jim Hart came from Illinois State.
Steve Deberg is from San Jose St.
Ken O'Brien went to UC Davis
Randall Cunningham is from UNLV.
Terry Bradshaw - Louisiana Tech
Ron Jaworski - Youngstown State.

I don't think the competition faced in college has any relevance on their success in the NFL. How many guys from top tier programs/conferences never make it? The main difference is the top tier guys get more opportunities (as someone else already mentioned in here).

GuerillaBlack
05-03-2012, 06:06 PM

My exact thoughts.

Lucky
05-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Case is gonna choke away a bunch of 4th quarter leads? You're bumming me out.

The Pencil Neck
05-03-2012, 06:32 PM

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

speedfreek
05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Tony can be a turnover machine, Keenum is generally safer with the ball..

TJ

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

76Texan
05-03-2012, 08:40 PM
First thing first, I believe Keenum can be very beneficial to the Texans by running the scout team.

I read a book in which a coach described how hard it was to prepare for Barry Sanders. There's noboby on the team that can come anywhere close to emulate him to prepare the defense.

With Keenum, the defense will be well prepared against situations where the opponent runs an up-tempo/no huddle offense.

Early on in the season, Keenum was moving the offense too fast for the defense to keep up with. The UH coaches decided to "slow it down" some to give the defense some rest because they were spending too much time on the field.

Keenum was always ready to go on to the next play as soon as the previous one was done with. The ref couldn't place the ball quickly enough for him.

The last few years, there wasn't any college QB that runs the no huddle/up tempo as efficiently as Keenum.

At the moment, I think this is the value that he can bring to the Texans.
By running the scout team, he will help prepare the Texans defense for those occasions better than any back-up QB that have ever been on the Texans roster.
He will help keep the defensive players sharp and on their heels, and the team will be better because of it.

redwhiteANDblue
05-03-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't know if this VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt1xZgzQDT8&feature=related) was posted in this thread but nice to see actual game footage of keenum instead of just highlights. I didn't get a chance to watch it all but looks good so far.

badboy
05-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm just glad we have him. The guy has a TON of potential and as a UDFA no downside. I'm pretty sure he sticks to the team unless he just royally screws up in camp and pre-season. Which I donthink he will.would it not be a kick if dwight jones, case and loisoue (sp--ilb) made contributions?

speedfreek
05-03-2012, 10:21 PM
This is a better example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTLN6OzZNrc&feature=bf_prev&list=PL4117537D7E4CDA0B

Keenum took an unranked UH team into stillwater and beat #5 OSU.

It's a better example, because in 2009 the cougar defense was a disaster and the offense had to win every game in a shootout. OSU had better talent across the board (including NFL talent on offense and defense).

By the time the 2011 Penn State game rolled around, the talent level (and defense) had increased at UH to the point where they were a legitimate top 25 team. (finished #14)

In 2007, Keenum lead a comeback (and almost won) in tuscaloosa against Alabama. Houston lost the game when they came up short in the endzone as time expired after rallying from almost 20 points down -- in front of a crowd of 93,000. He did not start, but came in after the other QB proved incapable of moving the ball.

The guy is used to playing well in big games in front of large crowds.

If he can translate that to the NFL we should be in for some fun times in the future.. If not, he at least got his shot with the hometown good-guys..

TJ

2012Champs
05-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Some people seem to be absolutely in love with Case and I hope he turns out the be a real special find for the Texans but the odds just arent in our favor that it will roll that way

Thorn
05-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Some people seem to be absolutely in love with Case and I hope he turns out the be a real special find for the Texans but the odds just arent in our favor that it will roll that way

Home boy makes good is always a great story. I'm really looking forward to seeing him this pre-season. But as with any player, the pudding is in the proof, or the icing is on the cake, or the beer is in the fridge, or something like that. LOL

Bulls on Parade
05-04-2012, 11:45 AM
He'll be starting by the Thanksgiving game against Detroit.

Let's hope not but I really like this kid.

speedfreek
05-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I like the kid but don't want him starting this year either.

Getting thrown into the fire too soon kills your career.
I'd rather give him time to learn under Kubiak (pro red-shirt..)

If Gary can do what he did with Plumber, then Case's potential
could be pretty high..

TJ

2012Champs
05-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I like the kid but don't want him starting this year either.

Getting thrown into the fire too soon kills your career.
I'd rather give him time to learn under Kubiak (pro red-shirt..)

If Gary can do what he did with Plumber, then Case's potential
could be pretty high..

TJ

Im not sure "I like the kid" is the right statement, you seem extremely fond of him. I dont think anyone is talking about him starting this year.

gary
05-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I get a feeling that Keenum is going to turn into our Tony Romo.He'll go from a place holder to starting QB.:spin:

speedfreek
05-04-2012, 01:00 PM
The guy brought my college team from the doldrums to the national
spotlight.

Now I'm just hoping he can do something similar for the Texans.

It's more like "I appreciate what he did", than it is "I am fond of him".

TJ

Im not sure "I like the kid" is the right statement, you seem extremely fond of him. I dont think anyone is talking about him starting this year.

GP
05-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Well, to be fair...anything can happen. Nobody here thought we'd be watching TJ Yates play a single snap in the 2011 season. Let alone in a playoff game.

I think anytime a QB comes back from blowing an ACL and he STILL is dominant the next year...that speaks volumes to me. To battle through adversity and to actually continue the same performance as before, it means he is tough as nails and always finds ways to succeed. The great QBs are not just talented, they are mentally and emotionally tough...and I think Keenum has the potential to be a good QB.

To be fair, nobody here thought all that much of Zabransky from Boise State when he was on our roster. You had a sense that he was genuinely a system QB on a team that did a lot of gimmickry types of plays, as well. It seems different with Keenum. He looks more like a traditional QB than "just a system QB" and I think the fact that he's from UH is just a coincidence.

2012Champs
05-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Well, to be fair...anything can happen. Nobody here thought we'd be watching TJ Yates play a single snap in the 2011 season. Let alone in a playoff game.

I think anytime a QB comes back from blowing an ACL and he STILL is dominant the next year...that speaks volumes to me. To battle through adversity and to actually continue the same performance as before, it means he is tough as nails and always finds ways to succeed. The great QBs are not just talented, they are mentally and emotionally tough...and I think Keenum has the potential to be a good QB.

To be fair, nobody here thought all that much of Zabransky from Boise State when he was on our roster. You had a sense that he was genuinely a system QB on a team that did a lot of gimmickry types of plays, as well. It seems different with Keenum. He looks more like a traditional QB than "just a system QB" and I think the fact that he's from UH is just a coincidence.

Yeah anything can happen, I could win powerball but its not likely. Like I said I hope it turns out to be a lottery ticket but some people here are acting like this kid is a first round pick

thunderkyss
05-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Personally, I think the jury is still out on Kolb. He had a flash, then he was put into some "iffy" situations if you ask me.

I still think he'll put together a decent NFL career.

GP
05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah anything can happen, I could win powerball but its not likely. Like I said I hope it turns out to be a lottery ticket but some people here are acting like this kid is a first round pick

It's just part of the game.

Kurt Warner and Tom Brady are living proof that late-round guys, or even UDFAs, can succeed in the NFL. If teams had it to do over again, they would love to have one of those guys in the first round.

Plus, QBs drift in and out of luck all the time. Where they land, and what time they land there, has a lot to do with it. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, those are guys who struck gold by being in the right place at the right time.

Stars aligned in such a way that TJ Yates was a few plays away from being in the AFC Championship game last year. Anything can happen. The upside to Case Keenum is that he wasn't chosen in a top round of the draft...he has no pressure to make a team a winner, he just has to soak up the playbook and learn in a setting that I think benefits him and his skill set.

We wasted a lot of time with Matt Leinart, IMO. He used up the QB2 reps when Yates should have been in the mix...instead, Yates is running scout team (the OTHER team's playbook/system) and I actually hope Kubiak bumps Keenum up to QB2 during OTAs and camp. Learn from least year's problems.

NitroGSXR
05-04-2012, 04:59 PM
It's just part of the game.

Kurt Warner and Tom Brady are living proof that late-round guys, or even UDFAs, can succeed in the NFL. If teams had it to do over again, they would love to have one of those guys in the first round.

Plus, QBs drift in and out of luck all the time. Where they land, and what time they land there, has a lot to do with it. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, those are guys who struck gold by being in the right place at the right time.

Stars aligned in such a way that TJ Yates was a few plays away from being in the AFC Championship game last year. Anything can happen. The upside to Case Keenum is that he wasn't chosen in a top round of the draft...he has no pressure to make a team a winner, he just has to soak up the playbook and learn in a setting that I think benefits him and his skill set.

We wasted a lot of time with Matt Leinart, IMO. He used up the QB2 reps when Yates should have been in the mix...instead, Yates is running scout team (the OTHER team's playbook/system) and I actually hope Kubiak bumps Keenum up to QB2 during OTAs and camp. Learn from least year's problems.

And do what with Yates?

drs23
05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
And do what with Yates?

Gary is on record stating that he'll keep Matt outta harm's way during camp, that he'll be doing individual drills but not getting in harm's way. Thus TJ will essentially be #1 in camp.

GP
05-04-2012, 05:24 PM
And do what with Yates?

Oh I forgot. Matt Schaub is "on track" and will be QB1. :kitten:

Thorn
05-04-2012, 05:43 PM

Yeah, that's my problem as well.

NitroGSXR
05-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying. Now who's gonna run the scout squad? The Texans are a 3 QB team.

Speedy
05-04-2012, 05:57 PM

And people act like Vince Young or Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith were worth a 1st round pick. Nobody knows how these players are going to play out. We don't even know if Andrew Luck will be a good pick. Case is in a position where he likely won't get much opportunity early on simply because he's tagged with being an undrafted 3rd stringer. That's his biggest hurdle at the moment.

I don't think anybody is acting like he's the next Tom Brady, but the the people who have never seen him play, or play very little, need to ease up on those who have seen him play every down he's ever played. Any scouting report that says he has a weak arm is from someone who shouldn't be in the scouting business. Period.

I hope it works out for Case, and I will be pulling for him, but as others have said, I don't want to see him on the field any time soon. Or TJ either for that matter. That's right, I hope to see that "weak armed" #8 for all 16 games (+) next season.

GP
05-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying. Now who's gonna run the scout squad? The Texans are a 3 QB team.

I'm having a hard time finding a good source on the Internet where we can see a list of UDFA QBs available.

There will be some free agent QBs who have been around for a few years, as well, but I haven't looked at that list (haven't searched it yet).

Granted, a lot of the older veteran QBs are not going to want to be QB3 and watch two youngsters at QB1 and QB2. But there should be a few camp arms out there who want a shot no matter if it's QB3 or QB7.

CloakNNNdagger
05-04-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm having a hard time finding a good source on the Internet where we can see a list of UDFA QBs available.

There will be some free agent QBs who have been around for a few years, as well, but I haven't looked at that list (haven't searched it yet).

Granted, a lot of the older veteran QBs are not going to want to be QB3 and watch two youngsters at QB1 and QB2. But there should be a few camp arms out there who want a shot no matter if it's QB3 or QB7.

See if this FA QB listing helps: http://http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

Vinnie
05-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm going on record now, I'm cool with TJ starting and Case backing him up.

Hopefully that reverse-curses Shaub's foot and he starts every game this season.

<---- BTW that's my boy wearing a Shaub jersey 4 years ago when people were clamering for Rosenfels. He's a strapping 8 year old now.

LikeMike
05-06-2012, 07:58 AM
I've Never seen him in a Single Game, and all I've read seemed to be extremely positive - so I went on Youtube looking for the negative. I especially enjoyed the Grudens QB Camp.

I am far from being an expert, but those are my Potential negatives:

- to me he has a strange looking release - no idea if that could be a problem
- he is going to get himself killed in the NFL. Definetly has to work on protecting himself.
- Takes some unnecessary risks that NFL. DBs will exploit. I know he rarely turned the Ball over in college, but several of his throws should've been intercepted.

Like I Said, I am no expert and haven't Seen nearly enough - so can someone who did elaborate on these points?

CloakNNNdagger
05-06-2012, 08:50 AM
I've Never seen him in a Single Game, and all I've read seemed to be extremely positive - so I went on Youtube looking for the negative. I especially enjoyed the Grudens QB Camp.

- he is going to get himself killed in the NFL. Definetly has to work on protecting himself.- Takes some unnecessary risks that NFL. DBs will exploit. I know he rarely turned the Ball over in college, but several of his throws should've been intercepted.

Like I Said, I am no expert and haven't Seen nearly enough - so can someone who did elaborate on these points?

The college quarterback can be tackled, sacked, rushed, touched, and brushed. He is a player. He is one of 11 guys who plays football just like all the other players. It has been said that the NFL has protected its perfumed princes of the pocket to such a degree that it has taken away from the quality of the game. I tend not so much to worry about this aspect of his game. He's always been a scrapper, and now for once he would actually have a real offensive line. His injury history in his long college career has been scant.......a single mild concussion in 2010, and a torn ACL (also in the beginning of 2010) he experienced trying to play linebacker by tacking UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers after an interception.

CloakNNNdagger
05-06-2012, 08:56 AM

- he is going to get himself killed in the NFL. Definetly has to work on protecting himself.
- Takes some unnecessary risks that NFL. DBs will exploit. I know he rarely turned the Ball over in college, but several of his throws should've been intercepted.

How many quarterbacks can you not say that about? Yates? Schaub? P. Manning? Brady?........the determining statement is "rarely turns the ball over."

GP
05-06-2012, 11:43 AM
See if this FA QB listing helps: http://http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

Thanks for the effort, Doc. The link will not open up a working Internet page for some reason.

G27RR
05-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the effort, Doc. The link will not open up a working Internet page for some reason.

It had an extra http://, try this one:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

CloakNNNdagger
05-06-2012, 02:34 PM
It had an extra http://, try this one:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

Thanks to you.........and my bad to GP:tiphat:

Wolf
06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Kubiak has faith in Keenum's NFL potential

Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak says former Wylie High and University of Houston quarterback Case Keenum has a future in pro football because he is smart and a diligent worker.

One of the concerns was he had not taken snaps under center because the Cougars' offense ran out of the shotgun, (West Coast offense), but Keenum mastered that in other early training and it has not been a problem.

Another knock is his height 6-0, which is under what the pros like, but that hasn't bothered New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees, who is 6-0, and it wasn't a problem for Doug Flutie, who was even shorter.

Kubiak says once Case learns what he is doing, he will find a way to do it and he is well on his way to learning. The coach says he is excited to be working with Keenum, but they are going to take it a day at a time.

There are four quarterbacks on the roster and Keenum, the all-time leading passing leader in college in history, will be battling veteran John Beck for the third spot.

that is all it said and then jumped to another topic
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/jun/02/kubiak-has-faith-in-keenums-nfl-potential/?partner=RSS

Texan_Bill
06-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Eat em up, Eat em up, GO TEXANS GO!!!!!

ckhouston
06-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Hopefully that reverse-curses Shaub's foot and he starts every game this season.

That's the only chance he has for a new contract with the Texans so I hope you are right. As much as I think Schaub is not a top tier NFL QB, I do hope he makes strides and comes back and kicks some ass this year. Anything to have a wining team on the field.

If not I see it being Yates with Beck backing him up and Keenum #3 for now. That would be if Matt had a set-back with his injury, or the "ahead of schedule" talk is a smoke-screen.

76Texan
06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Kubiak

(on QB Case Keenum) “I tell you the thing that was impressive: his best time in OTAs came at the end of practice today, so that tells me that he’s getting better. I put him in a hurry-up environment and he went out there and was automatic with what he did. He’s learning. He’s figuring out all the spots and when he does that, I think he’s going to be very effective. I’ve been pleased. I think everything has been moving forward so I’ve been really pleased. Today made me really excited to see him be at his best.”

(on what QB Case Keenum needs to do in minicamp to be even better) “I’m going to give him a ton of reps. I’m going to take some of the older guys and just work them with (head strength and conditioning coach) Cedric (Smith). I’m going to keep the young guys out here next week. He’ll work as the two next week, so that will be good for him and just keep getting as many as he can.”

(on whether QB T.J. Yates or John Beck will get to sit out next week) “T.J. (Yates) will (sit out). John (Beck) needs more reps with the third team and what we’re doing. I’ll work John and Case (Keenum).”

Yates will sit out next week along with most of the vets (the ones).
Keenum will work with the twos.
Beck will get more reps with the third team.

“What I do at the back end of the OTAs with our mini-camp is I like to kind of dedicate that to our younger players, now that they know what we’re doing. They’re up to speed offensively and defensively, and our scouts and everybody in the organization can get a better feel of evaluating who can come help us come fall time.”

The three-day mini-camp will be June 12-14.

The veterans will be with strength and conditioning Coach Cedric Smith while the younger group will be going through mini camp.

76Texan
06-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Keenum can make all of the throws, or at least it appeared that way Thursday during the Texans’ 10th OTA session. He connected with receivers on a wide range of passes from short to intermediate to deep, and even some on which he had to scramble out of the pocket and make a throw from an awkward position, something he did plenty of in college.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/06/rave-reviews-for-texans-rookie-qb-case-keenum/

Thorn
06-08-2012, 01:59 PM
I really like Case Keenum. I'm hoping for the best for this guy.

El Tejano
06-08-2012, 03:10 PM
I really like Case Keenum. I'm hoping for the best for this guy.

Same here. I hope he gets a decent shot here but only because Schaub has led us to a few Super Bowl wins and is calling it quits.

Seriously though, I'm hoping these are real reports and not just hometown reporting. I'm curious how Yates and Beck are doing too.

Thorn
06-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Same here. I hope he gets a decent shot here but only because Schaub has led us to a few Super Bowl wins and is calling it quits.

Seriously though, I'm hoping these are real reports and not just hometown reporting. I'm curious how Yates and Beck are doing too.

It's a given Yates makes the team. If Schaub makes it back, it'll be between Keenum and Beck for the 3rd slot.

Texn4life
06-08-2012, 03:58 PM
It's a given Yates makes the team. If Schaub makes it back, it'll be between Keenum and Beck for the 3rd slot.

That's going to be an interesting decision. I would think that Kubiak is going to think worse case scenario at some point picture the possibility that Schaub may get hurt again this year. In that case you can have Beck as the backup to Yates or a rookie in Keenum. Or you can roll the dice that Beck won't get picked up anywhere and you can always bring him back should that scenario play out.

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2012, 04:44 PM
That's going to be an interesting decision. I would think that Kubiak is going to think worse case scenario at some point picture the possibility that Schaub may get hurt again this year. In that case you can have Beck as the backup to Yates or a rookie in Keenum. Or you can roll the dice that Beck won't get picked up anywhere and you can always bring him back should that scenario play out.

Unless Keenum makes a sudden downturn in TC, there is no way that Kubiak takes the chance of putting him on the PS.

Thorn
06-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Unless Keenum makes a sudden downturn in TC, there is no way that Kubiak takes the chance of putting him on the PS.

My feelings as well.

ObsiWan
06-08-2012, 05:52 PM

I think we all know that the #2 spot is Yates' to lose. To Kubiak's credit, IMHO, he did bring in someone (Beck) who is hungry and could take the spot from him should he (Yates) get to "comfy" or not progress sufficiently.

If, during preseason, Beck shows he's nipping at Yates' heels, production-wise, he might just get snapped up right after the final cuts. I'd bet beer money that he would represent a #2 QB upgrade for more than one or two teams around the league.

I'm wondering if the safer bet is to try and sneak Keenum through waivers and sit him on the PS. He wasn't drafted so no one thought he was even worth a late round or compensatory pick. Then there's that whole -"he ain't tall enough" crap... He might be more likely to survive the waiver process than Beck is to likely to still be available if someone comes up lame during the year...

Tough call on which way to go...

Texn4life
06-08-2012, 07:23 PM

I would think so as well, but I think a lot depends on Keenum's showing during the preseason. We all know Kubiak likes his pet QB projects so it would surprise me too to see him try to sneak him on the PS. If he's terrible in the preseason though he won't have to worry about that.

Brisco_County
06-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I would think so as well, but I think a lot depends on Keenum's showing during the preseason. We all know Kubiak likes his pet QB projects so it would surprise me too to see him try to sneak him on the PS. If he's terrible in the preseason though he won't have to worry about that.

This is why Keenum will make the roster. He has more upside.

Texans_Chick
06-08-2012, 08:54 PM

What?

Beck has played better than Keenum in OTAs. As he should given a head start.

Someone asked about CK in post-practice quotes, and Kubiak said nice things.

I think he's done nice things.

But nobody is going to grab CK off the practice squad unless they like short rookie QBs with no NFL experience to go on their game day roster. I think getting stashed on practice squad is his best chance barring injury from the guys ahead of him.

thunderkyss
06-08-2012, 08:59 PM
What?

But nobody is going to grab CK off the practice squad unless they like short rookie QBs with no NFL experience to go on their game day roster. I think getting stashed on practice squad is his best chance barring injury from the guys ahead of him.

Too much sense.

Texan_Bill
06-08-2012, 09:01 PM
What?

As an aside, I have much love for Case, but what I really wanna know about is Bill's current "case". Please post on that particular blog!! ;)

badboy
06-08-2012, 09:04 PM
What?

But nobody is going to grab CK off the practice squad unless they like short rookie QBs with no NFL experience to go on their game day roster. I think getting stashed on practice squad is his best chance barring injury from the guys ahead of him.Steph can you get a true height on Keenum? I understand he is closer to 6' 2".

76Texan
06-08-2012, 09:39 PM
steph can you get a true height on keenum? I understand he is closer to 6' 2".

6'5/8

76Texan
06-08-2012, 09:43 PM
What?

I agree that Keenum will most likely end up on the PS.

Beck, however, as I watched him play last year for the Redskins, gave them no chance to win any game.
For a 30-yr old guy, I seriously doubt that he can turn it around.

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Steph can you get a true height on Keenum? I understand he is closer to 6' 2".

Not to answer for Steph, but Keenum's height has been listed as anywhere from 6" 0" to 6' 2". His U of H official height was 6' 2" His official Combine height was 6' 1". His official Texans height is listed at 6' 1".

BTW, Beck was/is officially listed at the Combine and by the Texans at a towering 6' 2".

Texn4life
06-08-2012, 09:52 PM
I've been on the record pre-draft as saying I didn't believe Case was anymore than a possible backup QB in the league. I still hold true to that even though I wish the best for the kid, especially now that he's a Texan. He does some things well that should allow him to be pretty decent in this offense. I don't think his height will be a huge issue with the way we get our QB out of the pocket. If he is going to make it then I think this offense is a pretty good one for him to be successful in.

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2012, 09:54 PM
I agree that Keenum will most likely end up on the PS.

Beck, however, as I watched him play last year for the Redskins, gave them no chance to win any game.

Beck has tended to look good when not important, and MIA when called upon. It's without saying I respect Steph's expert read on things, but I still give Keenum a viable chance of overtaking Beck by the end of TC.

thunderkyss
06-09-2012, 05:49 AM

I felt the same way about Jason Allen. It took him awhile, but his play at the end of the year was much closer to where he should have been.

Then when Lienart was slated to step in for Schaub, we all repeated the same talking points..... with this offense, with Arian Foster, our QBs don't have to be MVPs. They just need to know their roles & get our playmakers involved.

If OD gets closer to his ProBowl form, if Casey becomes a better Joel Dressen, If Andre can play just two or three more games...... Beck doesn't need to give us a chance to win, he needs to not lose games for us..... that is all.

ckhouston
06-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Beck has tended to look good when not important, and MIA when called upon. It's without saying I respect Steph's expert read on things, but I still give Keenum a viable chance of overtaking Beck by the end of TC.

I see Beck as more of a camp body that knows the system so can help guys like Keenum when it comes to the plays and just being in the NFL as a whole. If Keenum has the talent and is showing it well, as it appears he does, Gary knows it is in the teams best interest to keep him as the #3. Houston kid is a huge bonus but cant really play into the decision, it has to be performance and you would rather have a kid with a big upside if he is performing well, then a journeyman who never lived up to his potential.

infantrycak
06-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Then when Lienart was slated to step in for Schaub, we all repeated the same talking points..... with this offense, with Arian Foster, our QBs don't have to be MVPs. They just need to know their roles & get our playmakers involved.

If OD gets closer to his ProBowl form, if Casey becomes a better Joel Dressen, If Andre can play just two or three more games...... Beck doesn't need to give us a chance to win, he needs to not lose games for us..... that is all.

I think this idea the Texans are otherwise so good they don't need anything from their QB is being vastly overstated. Every team needs to convert 3rd and 7s and 3rd and 12s through the course of the season. Every team needs to step up the pace and rely on its passing game at some point in the season.

Texans_Chick
06-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Beck has the Sage Rosenfels pedigree. Thought of nicely coming out of college but then going to the black hole quarterback sucks that have been Dolphin/Redskin QB development.

Not saying he is teh awesome, but with the Texans he gets to keep the same system, has no starter pressure, can get refinement on his skills.

You can see at OTAs he's someone that has had a lot of reps before.

Just speculating from observation, but I think that with Beck they are working on a lot of detail stuff and with Keenum they are working a lot on reads.

Can't really assess QBs too hard until there's a real pass rush. Nothing like hearing Rex Ryan talk about how good Sanchez looks in the pocket when they are all wearing shorts with no tackling.

ChampionTexan
06-09-2012, 09:32 AM
What?

It's amazing that folks look at a "home town" product, and believe that three weeks of practices in helmets and shorts that are not open to outside observers (beyond a few media members) will convince other teams to reserve one out of 53 roster spots for someone when five years of college football, the NFL combine, U of H pro day, and the opportunity to bring him in for interviews/workouts did not even convince one of them to use a 7th round draft pick on him.

Speedy
06-09-2012, 10:20 AM
I think this idea the Texans are otherwise so good they don't need anything from their QB is being vastly overstated. Every team needs to convert 3rd and 7s and 3rd and 12s through the course of the season. Every team needs to step up the pace and rely on its passing game at some point in the season.

Exactly! Texans offense with Schaub vs. without Schaub should be enough to prove that point. It was night and day. You may not need a HOFer back there, but you do need someone who is a little better than "just manage the game", or you'll struggle to score 20, just like the Texans did when Schaub went down.

thunderkyss
06-09-2012, 02:51 PM

I completely agree. Just think it's funny how the conversation went when we thought Leinart(sp) was going to be our QB.

thunderkyss
06-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Not saying he is teh awesome, but with the Texans he gets to keep the same system, has no starter pressure, can get refinement on his skills.

You can see at OTAs he's someone that has had a lot of reps before.

Just speculating from observation, but I think that with Beck they are working on a lot of detail stuff and with Keenum they are working a lot on reads.

Can't really assess QBs too hard until there's a real pass rush. Nothing like hearing Rex Ryan talk about how good Sanchez looks in the pocket when they are all wearing shorts with no tackling.

In your opinion, from what you've seen, how are his leadership skills? Does he have "it" how do the guys respond to him?

Texans_Chick
06-09-2012, 07:58 PM
In your opinion, from what you've seen, how are his leadership skills? Does he have "it" how do the guys respond to him?

There's nothing to judge that one way or another from watching them throw the ball around.

badboy
06-09-2012, 09:14 PM
6'5/8Thanks, shorter than I thought.

badboy
06-09-2012, 09:30 PM
It's amazing that folks look at a "home town" product, and believe that three weeks of practices in helmets and shorts that are not open to outside observers (beyond a few media members) will convince other teams to reserve one out of 53 roster spots for someone when five years of college football, the NFL combine, U of H pro day, and the opportunity to bring him in for interviews/workouts did not even convince one of them to use a 7th round draft pick on him.Keenum passed for 6800 yards and 48 TDs in 3A in Abiline Texas. He also ran for 41 scores and 2,000 yards.

In college he passed for 19,217 155 TDs and only 46 INTs. He also ran for 900 and 23 TDs. He needs to refine to NFL but has the coaching to do so. He excels when he is under pressure. Certainly he now has NFL competition but he Also Has the Houston Texans blocking, catching and running for him.

Think I'll keep watching him for a bit. :worldpeace:

ChampionTexan
06-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Keenum passed for 6800 yards and 48 TDs in 3A in Abiline Texas. He also ran for 41 scores and 2,000 yards.

In college he passed for 19,217 155 TDs and only 46 INTs. He also ran for 900 and 23 TDs. He needs to refine to NFL but has the coaching to do so. He excels when he is under pressure. Certainly he now has NFL competition but he Also Has the Houston Texans blocking, catching and running for him.

Think I'll keep watching him for a bit. :worldpeace:

None of that has anything to do with my post (he had done all of that prior to the draft as best I can recall). I just think it's unlikely he'll do anything to change that perception in TC/preseason.

For the record, I view him as not getting picked up on waivers as a good thing since I'm a Case fan in addition to a Texans fan - I'm simply asking why are so many folks so positive Case would get picked up on waivers, when history has shown that to be highly unlikely.

Rey
06-09-2012, 11:53 PM
None of that has anything to do with my post (he had done all of that prior to the draft as best I can recall). I just think it's unlikely he'll do anything to change that perception in TC/preseason.

For the record, I view him as not getting picked up on waivers as a good thing since I'm a Case fan in addition to a Texans fan - I'm simply asking why are so many folks so positive Case would get picked up on waivers, when history has shown that to be highly unlikely.

I wish there was some statistic as to how many qb's were on practice squads last year.

I don't see a bunch of teams picking up qb's off of practice squads.

ObsiWan
06-10-2012, 02:18 AM
What?

This is what I was attempting to point out. If it were me rolling the dice, I'd keep Beck on the roster and take the shot that no one will snap up Keenum during the waiver process.

I mean, having our two backup QBs with just one year of NFL experience between them sounds a little risky to me.

Lucky
06-10-2012, 07:05 AM
I mean, having our two backup QBs with just one year of NFL experience between them sounds a little risky to me.
Having John Beck as a backup is about as risky as it gets.