PDA

View Full Version : Early conclusions from the draft

welsh texan
04-28-2012, 04:27 PM
So barring any further trading, the Texans have wrapped up the 2012 draft taking an OT/OG prospect in the sixth round.

They nabbed help at OLB, OC/OG, WR x2, DT/DE, OG/OT x2 & K.

This leads me to some conclusions;

QB - Genuinely happy with Schaub's progression and TJ as backup
OL - replenished their depth with 3 guys who all have options in where they end up playing, versatility will be good, and they may well push our current starters
WR - Between last years UDFA's and the 2 we've picked up, we'll have an intense camp battle and hopefully come out the other end stronger for it.
TE - They're clearly happy with their options and confident in Graham

DL - Addressed depth with a versatile DE/DT, gained option with Smith's contract next season
LB - Strengthened their rotation, gave themselves an option with Barwins contract next year.
DB - Happy with the talent they have, just as I suspected, and they get stronger by adding a years experience all round to what is still a young corps.

Overall a good 3 days, and more than anything, I'm mighty relieved that we didn't reach for best QB left on the board at #26 which would have been the only situation that could have made me panic.

Norg
04-28-2012, 04:32 PM

What options all we have are Two TE OD & GG :kubepalm:

gtexan02
04-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Casey can still play TE

Brando
04-28-2012, 04:35 PM

Well they broke the tradition of drafting a TE.:bravo:

NitroGSXR
04-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Probably means nothing but five players from the Big Ten. That's a sizeable number.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Well they broke the tradition of drafting a TE.:bravo:

Yep.

It will be interesting to see who they go after in FA.

CretorFrigg
04-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Who's going to replace Jason Allen though?

drunkcookie
04-28-2012, 04:39 PM

May already be on the roster...

welsh texan
04-28-2012, 04:42 PM
I think the scheme gets tweaked slightly to utilise Casey more, his injury last season kinda stopped him in his tracks, even after he came back.

I think UDFA sees a true FB and a couple of TE's picked up, they are clearly confident that OD - GG - Casey works as their main corps, and will bring in somebody on the cheap to fill the numbers at the arse end of the depth chart.

Or maybe, Norg, you feel that their non-drafting of a TE in fact displays how scared they are of relying on what the currently have. :kubepalm: (we can all facepalm btw ;) )

welsh texan
04-28-2012, 04:44 PM

Charmichael got IR'd, not sure if his injury was real or just to make the numbers work, either way they had 1 more CB than they had space on the roster for last season, clearly they are happy with what they have. Brandon Harris was on the roster but saw no PT last season too, so they'll work their way up the depth chart.

This will be KJ's year to see if he can cope taking full time snaps, lets hope 3rd year syndrome kicks in and adds to his improvement from last year.

Shaft75
04-28-2012, 04:58 PM

What was that one saying that we heard/said alot this year?

http://thefootbawlblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/nextmanup.jpg?w=300&h=300

Scooter
04-28-2012, 11:08 PM

brice mccain looked completely natural at nickel last season, and we didnt even get to see what roc carmichael or brandon harris bring. unless we have a major falloff somewhere, i think we're not only fine in the secondary - but better than last year with a full offseason for our young talent.

look at the improvement from rookie to sophomore from kareem in wade's system - without an offseason. another year with wade, and this one with a training camp, kareem is going to be just fine as our #2.